1.1 The Swallowtail Festival.   Posted by DM.Group: archive 0
Talis Revain
 player, 40 posts
Wed 21 Jan 2009
at 15:23
Re: Pyros
"I'm not really, but thank you all the same, my lord," Talis said with a slight bow. With a glance, he saw Catessa returning in a less then hasty fashion, giving the rogue the impression that the goblin had escaped or been killed. "I have not seen any others, though I would by no means say it's safe. That in mind, could you tell me who is in charge of the towns defense? I've only just arrived, and I'm afraid Sandpoint is not as it was when last I came through."
DM
 GM, 78 posts
Wed 21 Jan 2009
at 16:07
Re: Pyros
Glum, heeding Zer-wedula words, manages to stop the riders bleeding.

Aldern continues "You are too modest, and call me Aldern.  Well, it doesn't matter, I'm sure you and your friends can handle any goblins that appear.  Someone in charge...you want to see Sheriff Hemlock or Mayor Deverin, they would be in charge.   I would like to thank all of you properly.  I'm staying at the Rusty Dragon for a few days, why don't you and your lady friend" bowing in Cats direction, "come by sometime, tomorrow or the next day and I'll buy you dinner.  It's the least I can do."  And he heads toward the other group.

While Zer-wedula, Garth and Naomi observe Glum bandage the wounded goblin, they notice a few people (probably from the Inn) observing them from the corner with a couple of lanterns and torches.  Then the man who you saved comes around the corner.  He is very well dressed, obviously a man of means, "Ah, there you are.  I want to thank each of you for saving my life.  If it wasn't for you and that young fellow with the big sword I would be...well I shudder to think about it. Like I told your friend, I will be at the Rusty Dragon for a few days, stop on by and I'll buy you all dinner.  Just ask for Aldern, Aldern Foxglove."  and he gives Naomi a gentlemanly bow.

The darkness has fallen, with just the littlest bit of glow left to the west.  The sky is clear and the moon is out, the stars are beginning to come out as well.  You hear no sounds of chaos or combat, just the hushed murmurs of your audience from the Inn.

<[Private to Catessa Fallowfield: By RAW, Cure minor only heals 1 dam.  So 4 not 12.  Where did you get the 12 number?  I will add a House rule that cure minor heal (caster level, max 5, dam), but that would still be 4.]>

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:10, Wed 21 Jan 2009.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 88 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Wed 21 Jan 2009
at 16:15
Re: Pyros
   Cat bows halfway to Lord Aldern, and says "Thank you sir.  I will be happy to attend.  If I may bring Garious?"

[Private to DM: I have down that Garious took 5 and 7 points of damage, reducing him from 20 hp to 8 hp.  I have 4 0-level spells, so, using them all would heal 4 hp, giving Garious 12 hp.  I'll check out your House rule to see if it ends up being more. ]
DM
 GM, 79 posts
Thu 22 Jan 2009
at 06:51
Re: Pyros
Aldern sheds a tear and glances at the dead dog, then smiles a sad smile "I would like that.  Hunter was my companion for many years."  He holds out his hand to let Garious sniff it, before trying to pet him.  He knows how to treat a dog.
<[Private to Catessa Fallowfield: Garious seems to like him.]>

As everyone is standing around discussing what to do next, someone begins to hear a barking noise coming closer from the direction of the cathedral/festival grounds.   Zer-wedula and Naomi, with their elven/fey (low light)vision are the first to see a small group of goblins being chased by an armed militia group with dogs.  The goblins see an armed enemy in their path and run north, with the group moving parallel to their path to box them in.  The 4 goblins end up against the cliffs on the north side of town, surrounded by your group and many armed militia led by the sheriff.  "Surrender.", the sheriff yells in goblin.  As the towns folk pause, a small dog leaps forward and starts barking at the stinking goblins.  This seems to startle 1 enough that he falls off the cliff.  1 starts to charge and is filled with arrows before he takes 2 steps.  The others look at his arrow filled corpse and leap to their deaths on the rocks below.

The sheriff starts issuing orders to everyone.  Sending groups to recover the bodies, secure the gate and report back to the mayor that Uptown is secure.  Finally, he gets to your group.  "So you're the group that fought off the goblins at the festival.  Thanks for your help.  Anyway, we have them on the run and that appears to be the last group.  Come by my office tomorrow and we'll talk. Say, aren't you that Oakenshield boy Garth.  I thought I recognized you.  Welcome home."

He is impressed that you had the foresight to capture a commando (the rider).  As you saw at the cliff, goblins don't usually have the intelligence to surrender.  He will take care of things, though if you have some ideas he will be happy to listen, now or later.

The evening is filled with tending the wounded, putting out fires and securing the town.  As the evening deepens into night the town is shut down as the local militia starts a street by street sweep, searching for stray goblins.

The group finds themselves the center of attention and can easily find lodging at any Inn, free of charge (at least for awhile).  You hear renditions of Zer-wedula punching a goblin in the face.  Talis bravely facing 2 goblins at once.  But Naomi's glowing bolts of energy seem to be attracting the most attention.


<Just let me know where your character is staying.

Everyone gets 550xp, which includes a bonus for roleplaying.  Well done.

Use this thread for in character discussions on future plans and what not.  I will start a new chapter for things that start in the in-game morning in a couple of RL days.  Both will run at the same time for a few days.

Please let me know in he OOC thread what you plan on doing.>

Garth Oakenshield
 player, 48 posts
Thu 22 Jan 2009
at 15:20
Re: Pyros
With a kind nod towards the Sheriff, Garth replies, "I am happy to have been of service to the village now that I have returned."

Watching the sheriff move on, he turns to Naomi.

"Lets get a drink, eh?"

At the inn, Garth imbibes several tall tankards of ale, the battle having taken his mind off his earlier woes.  He enjoys the flirtatious glances from other village maidens but notices the attention given Naomi and smiles as he mutters to her jestfully, "You are a wizard, you should have told me earlier, I would have stepped back so as not to be in the way of your magics."
Glum
 player, 60 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Thu 22 Jan 2009
at 15:40
Re: Pyros
Glum retires to a relatively simple room where he enjoyed a meal of bread and cheese washed down with ample quantities of water.  Whenever he ventures outside, he will carry his staff and have his nunchaku in its customary place to make sure he doesn't have to fight unarmed against any goblins who may appear unexpectedly.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:03, Fri 23 Jan 2009.

Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 90 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Thu 22 Jan 2009
at 15:44
Re: Pyros
   Cat smiles at the sheriff and says "We'll be there.  I think.  At least I will be there.  Farewell."

   She looks at the others.  Seeing that Talis knows the town best, she follows him to the inn he is going to, with Garious in tow.

   At the inn, Cat finds a comfy chair and just relaxes a bit until the barmaid comes.  When she does, Cat orders a bowl of water and some meat for Garious, preferably rare if they have it.  She herself orders whatever sounds good, with a glass of water and half a glass of wine.  Halflings are small, so a full glass is asking for trouble.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:04, Fri 23 Jan 2009.

Naomi Armastance
 player, 60 posts
Thu 22 Jan 2009
at 21:29
Re: Pyros
Naomi blushes a bit at Garths statement then having clamored up onto a stool so she could be closer to where he's at says "Not a wizard per se.  Something else, touched by a being from another plane as it were." She says quietly to him.  "Unlike most, I do not need to memorize spells, just channel the Celestial Energies I have been given access to."  Then she looks around at the others in the tavern and waives over one of the servers for some drink.  "So, now that the nasties have been taken care of, what are you going to do?  I think we make a decent team and I'm always in the market for the big strong and smart types."
Garth Oakenshield
 player, 50 posts
Thu 22 Jan 2009
at 21:40
Re: Pyros
Taking a long pull from his tankard then wiping his mouth with his thick fore-arm, Garth laughs loudly, "Big, yes, smart, eh.  Me dad used to say to me he did, 'Garth, the gods gave you in size what they ran out of in brains!' and me dad was a sharp judge of horse-sense.  As for memorizing and being touched by the sky, thats beyond a simple soldier.  To folks like me, your a wizard and thats enough for me to know.  But, your smart and I'm big so I reckon the combo ain't half bad, I'll travel with you.  It aint as though anything is waiting for me here and now that I have seen a bit of the world during me time solderin' for the nobility, Swallowtail seems a might too small for me now."
Glum
 player, 61 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Thu 22 Jan 2009
at 22:02
Re: Pyros
Glum makes a note that he intends to visit the Sherriff with the others and that later he will see Alden if only out of politeness.  He does not discuss these plans but merely says to Cat.  "I'd like to tag along with you, so I'll join you at the Sherriff's if that's okay."
Zer-wedula
 player, 38 posts
Thu 22 Jan 2009
at 22:07
Re: Pyros
By happy coincidence the inn they are near is the White Deer, where Zer-wedula is known.  He takes a room (worthy of a hero) and careully unpacks and arranges his belongings, then moves to the common room to enjoy a glass of the finest wine.

"A small bit of game for Willi here," he commands.  "I shall have quail, some herbed rice, fresh bread, warm from the oven if possible, and a small garnish of the local greenery."

That taken care of he sits back to bask in his fame and to hear the tales of those who fought near, perhaps even beside.
Talis Revain
 player, 41 posts
Thu 22 Jan 2009
at 22:25
Re: Pyros
Talis retunrs to the Rusty Dragon, as per his prior engagement, and once again asks about a room. After eating a meat and alcohol free diner, he pulls out his violin and begins quietly playing in a corner, intent on keeping the noise lower then the roar of the crowd. For a while, he loses himself in playing, and passes about half the eavening just going over finger movements and difficult strokes without actually making any music. Before he goes to bed for the eavening, he makes a point to tip the Kaijitsu woman the cost of a typical inn stay, to make up for him not having to pay for a room.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:05, Fri 23 Jan 2009.

DM
 GM, 81 posts
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 02:07
Re: Pyros
White deer inn with Garth, Zer-wedula and Naomi
The atmosphere is subdued with talk of goblins and worse.  What could it mean?  Will they be back?  There is talk about who was killed.  Surprisingly few people were killed, the goblins seemed too excited to really concentrate on killing.  Garth and Zer-wedula both attract glances from the serving girls.  They giggle at Garth's attempts at flirting, but they are always under the watchful eye of the somber inn keeper (Garridan Viskalai) so they keep it somber.  Naomi keeps finding people staring at her, and looking away when she catches them looking.  The rooms are clean and well maintained.

The Rusty Dragon with Talis, Cat and Glum
Here the conversation is a little more lively, with Ameiko's (who seems to be sporting a new hairdo) story telling and music providing the spark.  Cat notices that many of the young ladies are giving Talis glances, though he seems oblivious as he is wrapped up in his violin.  Garious is more than welcome and is treated as a hero, with oohs amd aahs over his wounds.  The rooms are decent, but old and worn.
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 91 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 04:36
Re: Pyros
  Cat bids goodnight to Glum "Have a good rest, and see you at the Sheriff's on the morrow."  She waves as her goes upstairs to bed.

  She stretches out in her chair after the meal and relaxes, listening to Talis.  The boy has talent, but also a strange modesty.  Or was it that his attention was completed devoted to his music.  I'm not sure he will be getting much sleep tonight.  Those girls will probably swarm him once he's done.  I guess it'll be up to me to see he gets to bed.  Or maybe not if he takes a liking to one.  I'd better wait and see.

  Cat doesn't mind being ignored.  Too much public attention was--uncomfortable.  But she has to wonder why she isn't being made a big deal of like the others.  Probably because she's a halfling.  But at least Garious was getting his just rewards.  And absolutely enjoying the attention.
Naomi Armastance
 player, 61 posts
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 04:51
Re: Pyros
Enjoying some of the attention, but at the same time finding it annoying to an extent Naomi checks herself over making sure she's not spilling out somewhere.  Finding all her clothing in check she concentrates on paying attention to Garth and what he's discussing at the time, and getting a chuckle as he flirts unconsciously with the bar girls.  After the most recent one walks off after making sure he got a good look at her bosom Naomi stand up to her full 3'6" height on to of the stool and leaned over to let him see her front before saying in a flirtatious tone "Oh Handsome Warrior," After that she crossed her arms in front of her pressing her cleavage up and to the fore "I don't know what we would've done with out you." She said breathlessly and awaited his answer with a vapid expression on her face.
Garth Oakenshield
 player, 51 posts
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 06:04
Re: Pyros
Garth's eyes bulge a bit as Naomi flaunts her own feminine wiles, even if in jest.  Then turning a bit red in the face with obvious embarrasment, the big man rises unsteadily to his feet, "Well now Naomi, perhaps the drink has gotten to you girl for now you be hav'n a bit of fun at my expense.  I think it's time I call the night and you'd be wise to do the same.  Don't you forget, tomorrow we go before the sheriff."  With that and a swat to the gnome's posterior, the big man begins lumbering off towards his room.  His gait less then steady after the number of tankards he has thrown back that evening.
Naomi Armastance
 player, 62 posts
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 06:15
Re: Pyros
The slim Gnomish woman squeals in glee as Garth swats her hind quarters then rubbing them with a mock sour expression she says "You'll never know now will you Big Guy."  Watching as he leaves she calms down and looks around the room as the revelry starts to calm down and says to herself "Methinks I shall head up as well." and then looks at her still full first flagon of ale before making a slightly sour face at it.  "I can understand why people like it, Hades, I used to like it.  But for some reason the flavor is to sour now."  So saying she finds another patron to give the undrunk beverage to so that it doesn't go to waste.
Talis Revain
 player, 42 posts
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 06:31
Re: Pyros
Past when his hands became sore, Talis finally put the violin back in it's case, and dropped two gold pieces on the counter before Ameiko, nodding politely any hastening away.
Talis wasn't blind, but did his best to pretend he was around the local girls who had been glancing in his direction all night. Talis bore a quick mind from years of studying the Cyphergate. He was nimble and agile as many elves. Manual labor, farming, and constant training put quite a bit of muscle on his bony arms. However, one thing he was not, was terribly attractive, physically, financially, or socially. A six foot scarecrow with a sword, an ill earned reputation, no steady work, and a lack of foresight likely to put a 21 on his headstone.  Any interest the locals had in him, would fade in a week or a day, maybe sooner if they spoke to him. Certainly it was not genuine interest, just momentary attration, that drew their attention. He did the kindest thing he could for them, and continued to pay them no noticable mind, lest he became a regreted mistake to contemplate upon in years to come.
That in mind, he made two detours on his way to bed. The first, avoiding the foolish girls, and the second, passing by the halfling woman. "Miss Fallowfield," he said in his typically polite manner. " I'll be out for a bit around sunrise, but back to break fast. What say we and Glum visit the White Deer as early as is reasonable to fetch the others? Perhaps get a quick start to a likely busy day."
Glum
 player, 62 posts
 The world's least dour
 dwarf. Hence the name.
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 10:35
Re: Pyros
Even if it is too late for Cat to let him know of Talis' plans, on account of him being asleep and all, Glum arises at or before the crack of Dawn and stands at the front of the hotel, practising his art and is ready to set off with Cat to the white deer when the Sun gets its lazy face out of bed.
Catessa Fallowfield
 player, 93 posts
 Halfling Nature Priestess
 ...and Friend Garious
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 14:52
Re: Pyros
  Cat nods her head.  But curious as all halflings are, she can't help but ask the question "What are you doing before sunrise?  Nothing dangerous I hope."  There is concern there.  Cat would hate to lose Talis, given his penchant for getting into trouble.  It's amazing he's lived this long, if that is what his whole life has been like.
Talis Revain
 player, 44 posts
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 18:38
Re: Pyros
Talis chuckled a bit. "Nothing dangerous, just going for a bit of a walk. I've been in Riddleport for the past ten years, and it has left me eager to see something quiet and uncrowded. You're a nature priestess? It's something like that. The city is my domain, and to see it at peace is a pleasant sight."
Garth Oakenshield
 player, 52 posts
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 19:26
Re: Pyros
Rising early the next morning despite his head pounding from the drink of the prior evening, Garth dons his armour and clasps sword and dagger to belt.  He tests the string of his bow before placing it over his shoulder with the arrow quiver at his waist.  Placing the large helm upon his head, he then takes up his shield and slings it over his broad back, his red cloak underneath the glaring boar's head.

Dressed now in his full armored array, the soldier strides downstairs to the commonroom where he partakes of a tankard of ale, half a loaf of bread and some cheese and sausages.  With a loud belch afterwards, he waits for Naomi to show so that they may meet their scheduled engagements for the day.
Naomi Armastance
 player, 63 posts
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 19:30
Re: Pyros
Hearing the roaring belch as she entered the room Naomi snickers at the large humans antics and comes nearby to him.  "Complementing the cook I see." She says with a wink.  "I trust that you slept well and are ready to go and see the sheriff?  I think he had some stuff for us to do."
Garth Oakenshield
 player, 53 posts
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 19:34
Re: Pyros
The big man grins, "Aye, let us see what the sheriff has to say.  We should look up the others as well and let us not forget to pay our respects to the old one."  He pushes himself up onto his feet with a clink of mail and stomps his booted feet to get the blood flowing.  Then as an afterthought, he looks back, "If you have not eaten, you best do so now, no telling when the chance will come again."
Naomi Armastance
 player, 64 posts
Fri 23 Jan 2009
at 20:13
Re: Pyros
Grabbing a breakfast sausage and slapping it onto a slice of bread which she rolls around it Naomi just nods and heads out of the building towards the Sheriff's office.  "Lets go then, I don't need much to eat." She says.