Scene I. Coming to a Screeching Halt in an Unusual Place.   Posted by Phlegyas.Group: 0
Phlegyas
 GM, 144 posts
 Raftman on
 the Pool
Wed 14 Sep 2016
at 20:15
Scene I. Coming to a Screeching Halt in an Unusual Place
(I did promise a heavy-handed way to push you all together, right? Here it comes.)

It was a rainy autumn day.

Those suffering through the weather would find "rainy" a grave understatement. It felt more like the skies had decided to drown Earth in a deluge of muddy droplets. Visibility was down to a few feet, and thing weren't helped at all by the thick dark clouds above. So it was either getting soaked to the skin, or getting a bus ride.

So you all took a bus. It was marginally less wet in there than outside. The smell of unwashed bodies, mud and rain seemed like a small price to play once the umbrella-ripping wind started howling around the bus, filling the air outside with curses and various difficult to identify pieces of rain protection apparel.

So perhaps you should have stayed home, eh?

The bus rumbled along, the sound of rain on the metal roof almost deafening. Once you get used to the myriad distractions, you become aware of the others around you. The faint prickling in the back of your neck caused by other empowered persons, and perhaps you spied someone familiar in the crush of bodies and wet smells - at least until you were all half-thrown to one side, then the other side of the bus.

The driver's laughter was quite a bit louder than everything else.

Ahead, the underpass came closer at an alarming speed, made all the more frightening because visibility is only ten feet or so - and there shouldn't be any underpass on this side of Sloat Boulevard. Tires screeched, and the bus seemed to swerve, topple and...

There was a loud bang.

Silence.

You were sure you haven't lost your consciousness - but the bus was not moving, and it was pitch black outside, nothing at all visible. Everyone apart from you seemed to be sleeping statues. Only the driver moved, slowly, standing up, readying some sort of syringe with an absurdly long needle. Whatever was in the syringe illuminated the surroundings in a weak light.

The driver stabbed the needle into the chest of the nearest person; there was a soft, sucking noise, and the syringe glowed a tiny bit more brightly. Then the driver pulled the needle out and went on to his next victim.
Zoe
 player, 8 posts
 Healer from the Streets
Thu 15 Sep 2016
at 02:37
Scene I. Coming to a Screeching Halt in an Unusual Place
(assuming I can move)

Zoe flexes her toes subtly, seeing if she is able to move.  Feeling the muscles in her leg tense and her toes curl in her sneakers, she starts checking herself and those closest to her for injury.  However, she's too shaken up by the crash to make any clear judgement.  Then she notices the Driver with his syringe.  She takes a moment to gather herself.  Ok Z.  You can do... whatever it is you need to do here.  Then she slowly stands, trying to give the impression that she could be severely wounded. "Hey Mister... I don't think you sterilized that needle."

22:20, Today: Zoe rolled 4 successes using 4d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling 10s ((8,10(+1),8,8)) Dex + Stealth.
22:22, Today: Zoe failed (no successes) using 3d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling 10s ((3,6,3))Int + Medicine.
22:33, Today: Zoe rolled 2 successes using 3d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling 10s ((8,6,9))Manip + Subterfuge.
Die roller is real hot and cold on me...

EDIT: silly me forgot to copy the roll names...

This message was last edited by the player at 12:00, Thu 15 Sept 2016.

Drachenstern
 player, 31 posts
 Heir to the New Kingdom
 Benefactor of the Light
Thu 15 Sep 2016
at 07:11
Scene I. Coming to a Screeching Halt in an Unusual Place
On the bright side (what tiny semblance of one could be found), she had been looking for trouble before finally deciding to take the bus home. Drachenstern opens her eyes with a wince, just in time to see the bus driver at work. She suppresses a gasp. What on earth...?

It must be noted that she did not board the bus in full Regalia. Drachenstern was wearing a white jacket with a fur trim, jeans, and a shirt with a logo depicting a clockwork robot, all lightly dampened.

Hearing the other girl confront the driver, Drachenstern springs to her feet. "And it appears you have something that isn't yours." She steps around the unconscious passengers and in front of Zoe. While she sensed the other girl might have power of her own, she wouldn't allow anyone to put themselves in danger if she had a choice. "Stay back," she muttered. "Try to get the emergency door open."

This message was last edited by the player at 07:12, Thu 15 Sept 2016.

Phlegyas
 GM, 147 posts
 Raftman on
 the Pool
Thu 15 Sep 2016
at 07:24
Scene I. Coming to a Screeching Halt in an Unusual Place
The driver twitched nervously as the girl spoke. His eyes seemed inky black in the gloom - the only light in the bus coming from small ceiling lightbulbs. Zoe could see him more clearly now, the smoker's fingers, chipped fingernails, yellow uneven teeth.

"What? How?" It took him a few seconds to get his bearings. His voice was unnaturally loud in the confines of the bus. "Why are you moving? Why are you not asleep?" Panic filled his voice like a deluge, his eyes reclaiming their whites, their expression becoming wild. Thick beads of sweat dotted his forehead; his driver's uniform was crumpled and badly maintained.

"She didn't say this could happen! No. No. Calm down. It's only a hurt girl. You can take care of her. No! It's enough! I won't!"

He clutched his head, as if fighting off a migraine attack - but this lasted for only a second, before he looked back up at Zoe. His eyes were inky black again. Slowly, he lifted the syringe up, ready to stab it at the girl.

And then there was another girl, much more confident, confronting him. The expression on the driver's melted into a mask of rage as he roared a reply.

"Everyone has things that are not theirs! Go to sleep!" A brief wave of greenish miasma welled from his outstretched hand, washing over Zoe.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:43, Thu 15 Sept 2016.

Shira Rosenberg
 player, 45 posts
 Shy broken girl
 Heir to the Iron Throne
Thu 15 Sep 2016
at 13:08
Scene I. Coming to a Screeching Halt in an Unusual Place
Shira's head was still spinning from the crash, and the definitely sense of WRONG that was in the area. She tried to get herself together, but it was difficult. However, the sounds of confrontation gave her something to focus on. She forced her eyes open to see a wave being blasted at a young lady. Not one to let someone get away with such an act, she quietly got up and moved to clobber the bus driver.

09:06, Today: Shira Rosenberg rolled 4 successes using 10d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling 10s ((6,1,7,5,8,7,10(+9),10(+5),3,5))

Str + Brawl + Specialty + Martial Arts Training

In our other game, we would typically remove unstated penalties from the end.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:51, Thu 15 Sept 2016.

Zelda
 player, 49 posts
 Mo' Dakka Mo' Problems
 The One Who Cares
Thu 15 Sep 2016
at 15:44
Scene I. Coming to a Screeching Halt in an Unusual Place
Zelda Rosenthal's mind races as she tries to make sense of what's going on. Where are they, how did they get there, and how did a whole bus get there? What just happened to the other passengers? And the hell is going on with the driver? Whatever it is it's small-time or else Shira would have seen it coming. Shira who's already rushed in and started punching. Shirley seems to be all right too, as is some other girl somehow... Or at least she was fine before having magic shot at her.

...

Oh no he didn't.

Wasting no more time and knowing exactly what to do, Zelda grabs her own wrist.

"Blazing Thorn, set up!"

After transforming she stands from her chair, interposes herself between the driver and the other girls (excepting Shira), and then makes a point of visibly materializing her pistol and shield and dramatically aiming the former at him.

"Drop the needle and get on the ground. NOW."


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
10:56, Today: Zelda rolled 3 successes using 8d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling 10s with rolls of 8,8,2,7,3,4,10(+1),2.  Transformation (Belief + Inner Light).
15:45, Today: Zelda rolled 2 successes using 6d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling 10s with rolls of 7,6,7,8,5,9.  Threaten the Driver (Presence + Intimidation) w/ Willpower and Practical Magic.
15:48, Today: Zelda failed (no successes) using 1d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling 10s with rolls of 6.  Threaten the Driver (+Weapon Bonus).
15:52, Today: Zelda rolled 1 success using 2d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling 10s with rolls of 8,3.  Threaten the Driver (+Perceived Weapon Bonus).


This message was last edited by the player at 14:10, Fri 16 Sept 2016.

Zoe
 player, 10 posts
 Healer from the Streets
Thu 15 Sep 2016
at 17:02
Scene I. Coming to a Screeching Halt in an Unusual Place
The miasma washes over Zoe, completely obscuring her from view.  A moment later, a ray of light pierces the cloud, then a second, then more and more until the smog burns away.  As Zoe comes back into view, she looks different.  She’s about 6 inches taller, broader of shoulder, and has considerably darker skin. Where before she was wearing a worn hoodie and torn jeans, there is now a suit of light armor and a small shield.

She glares at the driver. ”Is that all you got?”  Then she notices the multiple girls who had gotten in front of her.  ”Who are all you?  Wait, later. First,”  She stoops over and grabs a discarded umbrella, “We need to take care of this guy.”

08:01, Today: Zoe rolled 3 successes using 5d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling 10s. Willpower.
12:03, Today: Zoe rolled 3 successes using 8d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling 10s.  Transformation (belief plus inner light).
12:05, Today: Zoe rolled 4 successes using 5d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling 10s.  Wits plus weaponry (always armed).

Drachenstern
 player, 33 posts
 Heir to the New Kingdom
 Benefactor of the Light
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 01:16
Scene I. Coming to a Screeching Halt in an Unusual Place
Overcome by a sudden dizziness, she staggers, catching herself against a pole. Clearly, the man wasn't willing to talk (except to himself). Drachenstern stands unsteadily, glancing at the girl who had just Transformed. At least she didn't have to worry about the other Noble's safety. Before she could act, her classmates appeared, also in Noble form. She winces as Shira attacks. There definitely wasn't going to be a peaceful resolution to this, not that she thought one was likely. A magic circle glows to life beside her.

White rose petals fill the air, coalescing around Drachenstern. They solidify to form her Regalia and sword. She glances briefly around the darkened bus before her regard settles on Zelda. Drachenstern intones in the Royal Tongue, "By my authority and Crown, I grant you this Radiant blessing. Go forth and seek victory. In the name of the Light, my will be done."

09:52, Today: Drachenstern failed (no successes) using 2d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling 10s.  Willpower, needed two more dice.
09:51, Today: Drachenstern failed (no successes) using 1d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling 10s.  Willpower.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:15, Fri 16 Sept 2016.

Phlegyas
 GM, 151 posts
 Raftman on
 the Pool
Fri 16 Sep 2016
at 10:16
Scene I. Coming to a Screeching Halt in an Unusual Place
(OOC: well, y'all are using present tense, so I'll switch as well.)
Zelda's successes are almost enough to break the driver's will. However, the same thing won't work twice. Perhaps if she shoots him through the knee? >:)
I'll wait for Nina Washburn's actions before the driver does what he intends to.)


The bus driver doubles over, Shira's fist sending him stumbling backwards. A slow-motion shot might show the expression of utter surprise on his face, and the sound of the punch forcing the air out of his lungs in a pained wheeze. He trips and comes to rest leaning against one of the handrails at the front of the bus.

The syringe in his hand throbs with a dull light, a tiny droplet of pure radiance hanging on the needle's tip. It shivers slightly as a Princess transforms nearby, and brightens visibly.

Zelda's sharp rebuke, helped by the gun in her hand, make the driver twitch again. With supreme effort, he finally manages to take a breath, then coughs out a few droplets of blood while staring at the girls with wide open, inky black eyes.

"Stupid kids. As if your meddling serves any purpose."

Then Zoe transforms as well, her voice like summer lightning in the confines of the bus. And... she hefts an umbrella, making the driver quirk an eyebrow in surprise. Afer all, there's already a big, frightening gun pointed at him, so he really didn't expect an umbrella to enter the mix.

Drachenstern seems affected by the miasmatic technique the driver employed. The greenish vapors constrict around her like immaterial snakes, wrapping around her ankles and wrists, choking her... For a moment it looks as if she will succumb; but she manages to marshal her inner reserves. The sheer force of her will explodes the greenish vapor from her, allowing her to complete her transformation.

The driver stands, shakily. It's almost as if he has to fight with himself to do so.

"You are all very pretty. I wonder if you'll all still be as pretty after I'm done with you."

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:12, Fri 16 Sept 2016.

Shira Rosenberg
 player, 53 posts
 Shy broken girl
 Heir to the Iron Throne
Sat 17 Sep 2016
at 01:57
Scene I. Coming to a Screeching Halt in an Unusual Place
Shira assesses the situation and sees that despite getting a solid hit in, the man seems largely unphased. Not good. And also seeing that everyone else who was awake was transforming (including a girl she hadn't seen before), decides that given the situation, she should suit up as well. With that, she shoots her hand up momentarily and yells "Heart's Forge Transformation!" before bringing her wrist to her chest.

Her body glows before blue fire burns away from her chest, revealing a silver-haired young woman dressed in a frilly red gambesson and wearing a masquerade mask. However, the most notable thing (assuming you just got punched by the girl) are the decorated metallic gauntlets she is now wearing.

(OOC:

21:54, Today: Shira Rosenberg rolled 3 successes using 8d10 with the World of Darkness nWoD system with a target of 8, rerolling 10s with rolls of 10(+5),7,4,7,7,9,8,2.  Transformation Roll.
21:41, Today: Shira Rosenberg rolled 12 using 1d10+5.  Initiative.)

This message was last edited by the player at 12:39, Thu 22 Sept 2016.