It's Pretty Dirty Business.   Posted by Mr. DM.Group: archive 6
Diarmuid
 player, 71 posts
Tue 11 Aug 2009
at 04:06
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business

Diarmuid, long since resigned to being the hired muscle, rather hoped someone would try something. He was itching to see what a mounted charge would do in a narrow street.
Mr. DM
 GM, 802 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Wed 12 Aug 2009
at 19:09
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
Tymin didn't seem to check whether he was being followed - so probably the two men who were indeed trailing him were making a decent job of it. He made his way directly across the city, stopping only at one stall to buy an apple, He exchanged a few brief words with the stallholder before moving on.

Some minutes later, and still within a fairly affluent area of Guril-Forsihe, he turned suddenly off into a doorway. The building he'd entered was a strangely-constructed tower-house, surmounted by an azure dome - clearly not built after the local style. Oddly, the door was unguarded, though there did appear to be a small aperture in the porch, most likely to allow a guard within to keep an eye out.




"Never heard of it" snapped the hirsute but well-dressed map-maker. "I sell maps - lots of maps. Expect me to remember one building? Now what map does your master want, and how does he intend to pay?"

-
OOC: Spot from Jos please  - Diarmuid is a bit too far back to see much

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:22, Sun 16 Aug 2009.

Jos Whollis
 player, 39 posts
Fri 14 Aug 2009
at 20:33
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
Jos felt very lucky that his tailing of Tymin had gone so well.  Usually being in the city wasn't as comfortable for him, most especially when he was following someone.  Not like when he was following a trail out in the wilderness, which was practically second nature to him now.

But his sense of things going well stopped once Tymin ducked into the odd building.  He tried to peer inside in a casual manner, but it was next to impossible with how the door was set up.  Which was probaby the idea that the architect had gone for.

Jos Whollis rolled 11 using 1d20+2. spot check.
Harry the Bastard
 player, 91 posts
Sat 15 Aug 2009
at 14:07
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
"Ah, well, I'm not so sure. It was after a conversation he had with Master Heiroth, which aroused his curiosity. It was a map...or a book...which Hieroth had purchased."

Despite the man's obviously foul humour, Harry smiled brightly.
Diarmuid
 player, 72 posts
Sat 15 Aug 2009
at 14:25
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business

Diarmuid moves around the alleys to get closer to Jos while remaining in cover.
Mr. DM
 GM, 815 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Sun 16 Aug 2009
at 19:27
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
It was difficult indeed for Jos to get a look in - but he wandered casually past the building anyway. Through the windows he caught a glance of some sort of keyed instrument. That was a sure sign of wealth, though no more so than the place itself was.

[Private to Jos Whollis: As Tymin went inside you saw him fiddle almost self consciously with something in his pocket.]




"Heiroth? Never heard of 'im. So you don't even know what you want? Buy something or get out!" the grumpy map-seller snapped, before muttering something Harry didn't quite catch.
Jos Whollis
 player, 40 posts
Mon 17 Aug 2009
at 21:48
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
Jos looped back around the building and scanned around to find Diarmuid.  He leaned in close and said just a few things: "How 'bout you stay here and keep an eye out for that Tymin?  I'll try and see if I can figger out who owns that place he just went into."  He pointed toward the building with his chin and a jerk of his head when he said that, just in case Diarmuid hadn't seen Tymin enter.

Then he was moving again, trying to find a pub or inn.  Maybe even a food stand nearby, just a place that he'd be able to get someone from the neighbohood talking with a few coins.
Diarmuid
 player, 73 posts
Mon 17 Aug 2009
at 22:36
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business

Diarmuid nods at this, turns his horse around and heads back to a garden wall with an overhanging tree. It's pretty high up but mounnted on his horse his head peeks over the wall. What with the tree's trunk in the way it's as close to hidden and a wierd location for a head as he can find.
Harry the Bastard
 player, 98 posts
Wed 26 Aug 2009
at 14:03
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
Mr. DM:
"Heiroth? Never heard of 'im. So you don't even know what you want? Buy something or get out!" the grumpy map-seller snapped, before muttering something Harry didn't quite catch.

"In that case..." said Harry, "I'll take a look at what you have to offer so I can report to my master and suggest where he should best spend his gold."

He looked at the dusty piles of assembled books and parchments, not really knowing where to begin, but looking nevertheless, before taking himself elsewhere and looking for some more friendly vendors.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:55, Wed 26 Aug 2009.

Mr. DM
 GM, 839 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Wed 26 Aug 2009
at 18:52
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
Although Harry was harried by the grumpy shopkeeper, he made a hurried inspection of the maps on offer. Many seemed (even from his limited knowledge) somewhat inaccurate, and most were old. Certainly the carefully crafted parchments were more works of art than useful tools.

That said though, he did manage to find a place on the map that looked promising - one of a number that were marked with a simple tower symbol, it stood on the borders of Guril-Forsihe...except those borders didn't look right. Harry estimated the travel time as being less than a week, but more than a day. Not hugely useful, but a good starting point.

He then made a quick visit to each of the other sellers. Their maps (where they were willing to allow browsing!) bore out his suspicions. Although there were several towers marked, the one that had caught his eye seemed the most likely candidate.

One of the map sellers was a little more friendly, and explained that Heiroth was a friend of a friend. As far as he knew, he was only ever really in one of three places - at his daughter Erina's, in town (usually only on special occasions), or at 'his keep'. The seller was also pretty sure Heiroth hadn't been seen in town for some weeks...




Jos had no trouble finding passers-by willing to talk - it seemed common knowledge round here that the property was the home of House Ab'shal, who originated in Kar. Strange sorceries protected their house, it was whispered - but then, that could well be superstitious stereotyping, since Kar was known for its mages.

Diarmuid receieved some strange looks from the few people who passed by down this back route, but easily peered over the wall. Within the fairly small enclosure was a well-laid out garden. Features were made of a series of interlinked ponds, and some wooden awnings that were distinctly foreign in appearance. The flowers and plants bore odd flowers of colours predominantly dull browns and greens. No guards could be seen, but several windows overlooked the yard.
Harry the Bastard
 player, 100 posts
Tue 1 Sep 2009
at 14:12
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
Harry liked the last fellow, and spent a little while chatting with him. Once he had thanked him and left, heading for the appointed meeting place, he reflected on what he had learned. He decided that it was timeto head for the tower, unless the others had come up with anthing new.
Diarmuid
 player, 76 posts
Tue 1 Sep 2009
at 14:52
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business

Diarmuid hangs around, whistling. He waits for Jos to finish doing whatever he is doing.
Mr. DM
 GM, 877 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Wed 23 Sep 2009
at 21:36
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
Having decided that Heiroth's tower (if indeed it was Heiroth's) was the place to look, the group made hasty preperations and prepared to leave.

The journey lead towards a little travelled part of the state. If they travelled quickly, Harry reckoned that they could reach a village along the way by nightfall. After that, there was a choice - take the direct route across country paths, braving the risk of bandits or worse, or take the more circuitous main road for as long as possible.

Wasting no time, they struck out.

The road was reasonably busy with travllers returning to Guril-Forsihe at first, but as the day wore on encounters became much less frequent. Before long, night had fallen - seemed Harry wasn't quite accurate in his estimates.

Lighting torches, the few continued on their way, road lit with glowing pools of light. The silence - especially for the city boys - was eerie and unnerving.

Nevertheless, after mercifully few hours, the travellers found themselves resting in soft beds at the leisure of a village farmer. This was the crossroads.

Morning broke, and the decision was to be made upon this sunny yet chill day - the route of bravery, or the path of simplicity?
Harry the Bastard
 player, 106 posts
Wed 23 Sep 2009
at 22:57
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
Despite his usually cautious attitude, Harry suggested the direct route.
Diarmuid
 player, 79 posts
Fri 25 Sep 2009
at 01:44
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business

Diarmuid opts for a route that goes over open ground so as to avoid ambushes and the like and give him a chance to use his bow.
Mr. DM
 GM, 882 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Fri 25 Sep 2009
at 12:30
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
Choosing the direct route, the men enjoyed a hasty breakfast before striking out across country.

They kept generally to the rarely-trodden but clear paths. Now and then Diarmuid insisted they alter their route to avoid possible ambush sites - gulleys, wooded area, etc. were avoided.

A couple of hours passed with no other human contact - this was wilderness, with only the odd pasture dotted about, and rapidly becoming totally uncultivated.

Shortly before mid-day, from his perch on Tuatha atop a rise, Diarmuid spotted a small group of men travelling the opposite direction to them. They were well out of bowshot, but spotted the horseman nontheless. One of the unknown men waved, before leading his group towards the position of Diarmuid and his company.
Diarmuid
 player, 80 posts
Sun 27 Sep 2009
at 15:20
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business

Diarmuid keeps his bow in his hand. He'd hung some rabbits across his saddle. It may be he'll need to apologize for hunting on someone else's lands, but farmers usually didn't mind rabbits with arrows in them, it meant less of the crop got eaten.
Mr. DM
 GM, 889 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Tue 29 Sep 2009
at 20:52
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
As the men came closer it became obvious they were no farmers. Leather studs on their jerkins glinted in the sunlight, and each appeared to be carrying at least one weapon - some bore bows along with short swords.

For all that though their attitude was casual, and they approached openly, with no sign off hostile intentions. The leader bid his men stand off at a respectable distance while he and two others approached. Once they drew within a knife's throw, the two men stopped, and their boss took only a few paces further forward before hailing Diarmuid and his fellows.

"Well met, lads. Brings you this far from the farms?" His tone was easy - he sounded genuinely curious.
Diarmuid
 player, 81 posts
Tue 29 Sep 2009
at 21:35
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business

Diarmuid seemed content to let Harry do the talking.
Harry the Bastard
 player, 107 posts
Tue 6 Oct 2009
at 11:57
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
"A good afternoon to you!" said Harry, squinting up at the sky to see if it was afternoon already, "We are on a charitable mission, commissioned by a Lady, to find her father Heiroth. Do you know anything of him?"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:44, Wed 07 Oct 2009.

Mr. DM
 GM, 892 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Tue 6 Oct 2009
at 18:25
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
The weather-beaten fellow raised his eyebrows.

"A lady is't?" He grinned.

"We don't share none with them types, I'm afraid!" It wasn't clear quite what he found so amusing.

"Think you to find this Heiroth wandering about the wilds?"

"Nay, I think there's other sorts you're like to come across than a nob," he said with a conspiratorial wink.

"But I'll be straight with you - this here's our turf, right? Do what you must, I reckon, but don't be stepping into our business and we won't into yours. Fair as fair?"

The man's tone was still casual and easy, as if he saw Harry as an equal.
Diarmuid
 player, 82 posts
Wed 7 Oct 2009
at 13:53
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business

Diarmuid looks languid and unconcerned at all this. His eyes tell a different story though, being watchful and apparently ready for anything.

He's riding his horse cavalry fashion, it's in the way he sits, the way he moves. Fighters in the other group would see this straight away.
Harry the Bastard
 player, 111 posts
Wed 7 Oct 2009
at 20:43
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
"Sounds reasonable," said Harry, "but you know how it is. You boys do me a favour today, maybe next time around I can do you a favour right back. Or have you specific interests in the personages mentioned? 'Cause if so, maybe we're too late and could save ourselves some needless faffing about in the countryside."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:44, Wed 07 Oct 2009.

Mr. DM
 GM, 895 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Wed 7 Oct 2009
at 20:58
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business
The fellow looked curiously at the rest of the party, but seemed to accept Harry as the spokesman. When he glanced at Diarmuid, there was a wary respect in his eyes.

To Harry he replied:

"A favour eh? An what's to stop you upping sticks and us never seein' youse again?"

He grinned.

"Still, you haven't said what 'tis you want, yet. I don't know of any Heiroth, no - as I said, not our sort. But we know the area, our turf. What's this favour?"
Diarmuid
 player, 83 posts
Thu 8 Oct 2009
at 04:36
Re: It's Pretty Dirty Business

Diarmuid eyes flick quickly over at Harry when he mentions an exchange of favors, the other group first. To say he looks unconvinced as to the merits of that particular tack would be putting it lightly. He smiles tightly. The smile has about as much give in it as a small mountain.

"It is your turf and if looking for our friend turns up anything that might interest you we'll be sure to keep that in mind. Fair is fair as you say. We're not interested in rocking any boats hereabouts. Still there's no telling what our little search party will turn up at this point. It hasn't turned up anything of any worth thus far. But, if'n we do come across something that might interest you, how would we get in touch?"