A Sting in the Tale.   Posted by Mr. DM.Group: archive C
Vorel
 player, 14 posts
 Hey, look!
 Oh, wait...
Sat 5 Jun 2010
at 02:09
Re: A Sting in the Tale
"Yes," Vorel said finally after mulling this information over. Owain had indeed showed her kindness, and she owed him for it. "Though k-no I need to khow many 'ssome' Umira flowers are."

[Private to GM: When you read the "kh" at the beginning of "khow," does it read as the sound ending "Bach?"]

This message was last edited by the player at 23:39, Fri 11 June 2010.

Mr. DM
 GM, 1178 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Mon 7 Jun 2010
at 21:28
Re: A Sting in the Tale
"Oh, well - half a dozen should do. If you collect a few more than that, then I can share with you some of the salve. Might come in useful!"

"The Urmira flowers grow in groups of two or three, so it shouldn't be too hard to find them."

"My thanks if you do this - I will owe you!"

[Private to Vorel: Yes, I think so. Might need to see it in other contexts to get a proper idea though.]
Vorel
 player, 15 posts
 Hey, look!
 Oh, wait...
Tue 8 Jun 2010
at 14:59
Re: A Sting in the Tale
Knowing the extent of her quest and being unbothered by the gathering darkness, Vorel left Owain's camp and moved downhill, not bothering with following the trail she had been earlier. Soon, she began seeking the strange flowers in earnest.

08:57, Today: Vorel rolled 9 using 1d20+3. Survival.
08:57, Today: Vorel rolled 21 using 1d20+4. Search.

Mr. DM
 GM, 1190 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Mon 14 Jun 2010
at 21:01
Re: A Sting in the Tale
Owain bid Vorel good luck - then he was out of earshot as she made her way down into the forest.

The scents and sounds of life hung heavily in the air around her; in particular the increasing chitters and chirrups of the night-insects beginning to emerge from their hiding holes.

Vorel's progress was slowed by the necessity of stooping to check any likely-seeming flowers. She found nothing for the first fifteen minutes or so; but then, if the plant was that easy to find, Owain could probably have taken the risk.

After a little over half an hour, there was still no sign of these blossoms.

There was suddenly something else though - a horrible cry, like the voice of some half-strangled human, rushing towards Vorel from her left. It was most likely around 80 feet away, and it sounded neither happy nor friendly.
Vorel
 player, 16 posts
 Hey, look!
 Oh, wait...
Tue 15 Jun 2010
at 04:46
Re: A Sting in the Tale
Vorel readied herself for battle, turning to face the sound and standing her ground in a display of dominance. Normally, a good kobold would hide from an oncoming threat, but seeing as how she was terrible at that and the horribly-strangled-sounding-thing had presumably already seen her, that wasn't an option.

[Private to GM: So, how does combat work in The Fourth Son?]
Mr. DM
 GM, 1196 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Wed 16 Jun 2010
at 21:49
Re: A Sting in the Tale
Whatever the thing was, it rushed closer, not slowing - it was now at 40 feet, making a horrible gurgling sound and raising an awful stink.

[Private to Vorel: Roll initiative, but post in any order (obviously there's only you here!).
Optionally post up to 3 rounds of actions, including rolls, and with conditional statements if needed; but don't get too complicated.
You should probably post just one round at a time unless you want the combat to fly by.
When making an action, make all rolls you think are necessary - if attacking, roll damage as well, just in case you hit.
]
Vorel
 player, 17 posts
 Hey, look!
 Oh, wait...
Thu 17 Jun 2010
at 02:51
Re: A Sting in the Tale
20:48, Today: Vorel rolled 6 using 1d20+3. Initiative.

Vorel continued to hold her ground, partly out of a lack of anything else to do coming to mind. Should the thing appear about to trample over her, she'll attempt to dodge it.

20:50, Today: Vorel rolled 22 using 1d20+8. Tumble.
Mr. DM
 GM, 1209 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Tue 6 Jul 2010
at 21:09
Re: A Sting in the Tale
Whatever the thing was, it continued to rush right at Vorel. Leaping aside, she rolled a few feet away, feeling it surge past with a cry and a wafting of foul air.

It sounded no larger than Vorel herself, and two-footed, though something about the sound of it's gait was odd.

It seemed to recover quickly and again launched itself towards the young woman, continuing to gurgle furiously.
Vorel
 player, 19 posts
 Hey, look!
 Oh, wait...
Tue 6 Jul 2010
at 21:31
Re: A Sting in the Tale
Only two legs, eh? Vorel thought with a smirk, coming up with a plan. On the thing's next pass, she'd crouch down and go for the thing's ankle, though still moving most of herself out of the way.

15:27, Today: Vorel rolled 21 using 1d20+4. Attack.
15:28, Today: Vorel rolled 6 using 1d6+1. Damage.
15:28, Today: Vorel rolled 14 using 1d6+8. Tumble.

Mr. DM
 GM, 1211 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Tue 6 Jul 2010
at 21:39
Re: A Sting in the Tale
It seemed the beast didn't anticipate Vorel's cunning, as it ploughed almost straight into her attack. Her sweep connected firmly and the thing let out a hideous high-pitched screech - seemed she'd injured it.

It didn't go entirely Vorel's way, though. Her attack affected her balance, and so she couldn't fully get out of the thing's path.

Fortunately, her reflexes kicked in as it took a swipe, and she brushed aside a hairy, clawed arm as it went for her face.
Vorel
 player, 20 posts
 Hey, look!
 Oh, wait...
Tue 6 Jul 2010
at 21:51
Re: A Sting in the Tale
As she turned the owlbear's arm away, Vorel threw a fist and an elbow at the thing's torso, aiming just below where she figured the arm came from, closing the already-short distance between the two, as per kobold idiom: "If you has to attack, and you's by yerself, git close as you can to da Biggers. And behind 'em, too. Be slippery as a weasel, quick as a snake."

Flurry of Blows:
15:46, Today: Vorel rolled 17 using 1d20+2. Flurry.
15:46, Today: Vorel rolled 7 using 1d6+1. Damage.
15:46, Today: Vorel rolled 18 using 1d20+2. Flurry.
15:46, Today: Vorel rolled 5 using 1d6+1. Damage.

Mr. DM
 GM, 1214 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Wed 7 Jul 2010
at 21:31
Re: A Sting in the Tale
This attack was effective - her blows struck home and the creature collapsed with a thud, gurgling softly, before it was still and silent.

After the rush of combat, the calm was almost shocking.
Vorel
 player, 21 posts
 Hey, look!
 Oh, wait...
Thu 8 Jul 2010
at 05:57
Re: A Sting in the Tale
Vorel panted lightly for a moment, straining to hear any more enemies. Upon none being forthcoming, she stomped on the ground and then knelt beside her attacker's prone form, trying to figure out what manner of creature this was that didn't even try to flee when she injured it the first time.
Mr. DM
 GM, 1222 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Mon 12 Jul 2010
at 21:39
Re: A Sting in the Tale
The creature Vorel examined seemed to be humanoid - but only just. Oddly spindly legs supported a muscled torso with large arms. Each limb was out of proportion with the others; indeed, the whole beast was misshapen, including some lumpy growths on its head and chest that seemed to be mutations.

The thing appeared to be entirely naked, and carried no tools of any sort.
Vorel
 player, 22 posts
 Hey, look!
 Oh, wait...
Tue 13 Jul 2010
at 04:21
Re: A Sting in the Tale
Well, that's strange, Vorel deduced. Still, she had flowers to find, and thus moved on, leaving the defeated foe to its fate.
Mr. DM
 GM, 1254 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Tue 31 Aug 2010
at 21:48
Re: A Sting in the Tale
Another hour or so of searching, and Vorel had found her flowers. Owain was right, they were distinctive enough. It was only a little while back to where the fellow was camping, so the journey shouldn't have been much of a problem.

Yet a strange feeling of foreboding overtook the young woman as she felt her way back. With little warning, snarling and grunting sounds intruded on her musings - sound like two more of those strange beasts!

Even so, these were different - neither sounded (or smelt) quite alike.

[Private to Vorel: Part of group 3 has melted away again - I need to recap for one of the players who's been away, then find somewhere to drop you in.

Incidentally in this instance running away is of course an option! That isn't a hint, just pointing out that I don't expect you to do particular things.
]
Vorel
 player, 24 posts
 Hey, look!
 Oh, wait...
Wed 1 Sep 2010
at 03:23
Re: A Sting in the Tale
The snarling of the creatures seemed to indicate that they'd detected her, and so Vorel turned and ran, hoping to lose them in the forest's brush and also lead them away from Owain.


22:24, Today: Vorel rolled 14 using 1d20+4. Hide.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:24, Wed 01 Sept 2010.

Mr. DM
 GM, 1255 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Thu 2 Sep 2010
at 19:33
Re: A Sting in the Tale
Vorel's quick move seemed to work; the snarling and snuffling dropped off. It wasn't quite that fortunate though, for within seconds she heard sounds of pursuit - one of the beasts was clearly more tenacious than the other.
Vorel
 player, 25 posts
 Hey, look!
 Oh, wait...
Fri 3 Sep 2010
at 02:35
Re: A Sting in the Tale
If she had to, Vorel knew she could take the creature down. She'd prefer to deter it without killing it, but some beasties never learn. She sighed, steeling herself for the coming battle. She listened to the breathing of her pursuer, and her bare feet caught the slightest vibrations of the monster's footfalls. It was big and powerful, but not as quick as she. That would be its downfall, unless it knew better.

21:34, Today: Vorel rolled 18 using 1d20+3. Initiative.
Fighting Defensively, until attacked.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:36, Fri 03 Sept 2010.

Mr. DM
 GM, 1266 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Tue 7 Sep 2010
at 13:04
Re: A Sting in the Tale
Vorel heard the creature stampeding in and shifted position in anticipation. Sure enough, a swooshing sound by her left ear indicated it was in no mood to talk (if it was even capable of speech!).
Vorel
 player, 26 posts
 Hey, look!
 Oh, wait...
Tue 7 Sep 2010
at 15:59
Re: A Sting in the Tale
Having "seen" the first beast and how it was built, Vorel struck out hoping to connect with the creature decisively. Alas, she wasn't precise enough.

10:57, Today: Secret Roll: Vorel rolled 7 using 1d20. Melée attack.
Might as well take a five-foot step Northward while I'm at it.

Mr. DM
 GM, 1268 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Wed 8 Sep 2010
at 21:35
Re: A Sting in the Tale
Likewise, the creature seemed to be off-balance and missed with two swipes, though one thudded into a tree with a pretty heavy-sounding impact.

Its howls of rage didn't quite mask the crashing and snapping of the other beast approaching - it was a minute away at best.

[Private to Vorel: Stupid dice roller!]
Vorel
 player, 27 posts
 Hey, look!
 Oh, wait...
Thu 9 Sep 2010
at 01:40
Re: A Sting in the Tale
Not much time.

Vorel threw her hands at the beast like a pair of knives, one flung at the torso and the other behind the creature's center of mass, followed by an elbow to what she hoped was where the joint might be.

[Private to GM:  Stupid dice roller, indeed.
20:35, Today: Secret Roll: Vorel rolled 13 using 1d20+2. Flurry 1.
20:36, Today: Secret Roll: Vorel rolled 9 using 1d20+2. Flurry 2.
20:36, Today: Secret Roll: Vorel rolled 3 using 1d6+1. Flurry 1 damage.
20:36, Today: Secret Roll: Vorel rolled 5 using 1d6+1. Flurry 2 damage.
]
Mr. DM
 GM, 1277 posts
 That's Mister DM, to you!
Sat 11 Sep 2010
at 16:57
Re: A Sting in the Tale
The creature anticipated the first of Vorel's blows, ducking out of the way with a howl that sounded disturbingly pleased, then simply absorbed the second attack without even flinching.

In retaliation it struck low and high, catching Vorel before she could recover.

OOC: At last it rolls well! A rather painful 12 damage to you.
Vorel
 player, 28 posts
 Hey, look!
 Oh, wait...
Sun 12 Sep 2010
at 18:51
Re: A Sting in the Tale
The half-elf barbarian roared at the beast, standing her ground and attacking it again with the outer edges of her open hands. The roar of animalistic dominance soon transitioned to a howl of frustration. It was not a good day to be Vorel.

13:48, Today: Secret Roll: Vorel rolled 13,4 using 1d20+2,1d6+1. Flurry 1.
13:48, Today: Secret Roll: Vorel rolled 14,4 using 1d20+2,1d6+1. Flurry 2.
First result is attack, second is damage.