Errant Vale.   Posted by The Seer.Group: archive 0
The Seer
 GM, 1929 posts
 I see you
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 20:20
Re: Errant Vale
Those of you who speak goblin note an air of unease about the critters.
Irael'Riina
 player, 255 posts
 Elf - Mystic
 ThAC0 20 / HP 15 / AC 7
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 20:45
Re: Errant Vale
Irael issues a Command and orders the big ogre (the one that attacked Horace) to "Sleep!".
Hyek Talapus
 player, 756 posts
Mon 10 Feb 2014
at 21:24
Re: Errant Vale


Hyek loses the arrow he had nocked into the throng. He than plucks the arrow that struck him (OUCH!) and sent it back.

13:22, Today: Hyek Talapus rolled 8 using 2d6 with rolls of 5,3. Damages.

13:21, Today:  rolled 19 using 2d20 with rolls of 17,2. To Hit. Add 2, so 19, 4

Ragnar Drapasson
 player, 832 posts
 Cacophonous Norse Warrior
 THAC0: 17-HP 27/41-AC: 3
Tue 11 Feb 2014
at 01:50
Re: Errant Vale
Ragnar puts his bow away and takes up his spear, ready to lead the charge.

"NO QUARTER!"  With that roar, he heads into the fray.
Horace Auspex
 player, 643 posts
 Human Cleric Level 5
 Thac0 18 HP 29/29 AC 0
Tue 11 Feb 2014
at 02:57
Re: Errant Vale
PM

[Private to The Seer: How many ogres are near (60') Horace including the one that attacked him?]
Borya, Son of Gleb
 player, 117 posts
 Human fighter
 Thac0 12 HP33 AC4
Tue 11 Feb 2014
at 03:21
Re: Errant Vale
Borya follows Ragnars lead and stows his bow. Leveling his spear and setting his shield he urges his mount forward into a charge.
The Seer
 GM, 1930 posts
 I see you
Tue 11 Feb 2014
at 12:43
Re: Errant Vale
pm

[Private to Horace Auspex: Just the one, the other two lead the counter-attack.]
Horace Auspex
 player, 644 posts
 Human Cleric Level 5
 Thac0 18 HP 29/29 AC 0
Tue 11 Feb 2014
at 15:21
Re: Errant Vale
Horace steps back a few paces waiting to strike the giant ogre attacking him.

OOC: I'm not sure if Irael's spell will take affect before Horace attacks or not, but given my roll I hope it does.

10:19, Today: Horace Auspex rolled 8 using 1d20+3. attack ogre.
Marroar Silentread
 player, 547 posts
 elf, magic user
 lvl 5, 28hp, AC6
Tue 11 Feb 2014
at 15:30
Re: Errant Vale
Marroar begins gesturing towards the goblins and muttering some arcane incantation, he thrusts his hands forward and watches his handy work.

[Private to The Seer: lightning bolt on the goblins please.]
The Seer
 GM, 1932 posts
 I see you
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 13:28
Re: Errant Vale
The ogre facing down Horace is struck down at Irael's word.  The other giant falls under the onslaught of Marroar's magic missiles and Seelah's lance.  The ranks of goblins are further decimated by Marroar's sleep spell.

At this point, only a few goblinoids are left, along with one ogre - this handful breaks from the battle and scatters to the four winds.  It is a compelling, overwhelming victory on the part of the force from Errant Vale.

ooc: I'm assuming you guys don't want to go goblin hunting.


As the group gathers in the aftermath, Miroslav  nods his head gravely and says, "I've never seen the like, Milords and Ladies.  I am bowed by your bravery and your mettle.  I had feared for our way of life, but with such as you at our side, my fears are assuaged."

The rest of his men look at you in awed apprehension, unsure of what they just saw, but knowing that without your help they would have been overwhelmed.

The grisly aftermath is left to the troopers.  They tie their fallen (6 men: 5 cavalry and 1 of the infantry) up in their blankets and harness them to their horses.

Miroslav oversees the collecting of the dead, and says, "First choice among the spoils goes to you - frankly, if you're willing, we could use the silver and the copper for the village, and their weapons, but the rest is yours.  We now will retreat to the village and celebrate this victory in your names - and we'll await your return with a feast worthy of the name!"

(see treasure thread)
Irael'Riina
 player, 256 posts
 Elf - Mystic
 ThAC0 20 / HP 15 / AC 7
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 16:05
Re: Errant Vale
Irael watches the goblin forces flee and nods with solemn approval.

"To the home of the hill giants, then. I suspect our next battles will not be won so easily, or with so little loss."
Seelah
 player, 7 posts
 Paladin of Pelor
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 16:22
Re: Errant Vale
Seelah returns victorious upon her horse.  Hearing Irael's words, she says in a solemn voice, "A cold appraisal, Lady.  The fallen should be honored and remembered as is their due."

Dismounting, she assists in the shrouding of the dead, saying a brief prayer of departure over each as she does so.
Marroar Silentread
 player, 548 posts
 elf, magic user
 lvl 5, 28hp, AC6
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 19:01
Re: Errant Vale
"She's right. Let's pay proper respects and then begin to plan the assault on the giants stronghold."
Hyek Talapus
 player, 757 posts
Tue 18 Feb 2014
at 21:23
Re: Errant Vale
When somebody can, Hyek get his minor wound patched up. He observes due respect for the dead.

When it's time to talk, he says I suggest the moneys and stuff goes to the village...what's our for safekeeping...it'd only encumber us. However, we should take the gems; I've a hunch they'll come in handy, and somebody might want the sword.

Also, I think we should look among the foes' bodies for clothes we can wear or put over our clothes...disguise.


He also collects arrows.
Irael'Riina
 player, 257 posts
 Elf - Mystic
 ThAC0 20 / HP 15 / AC 7
Wed 19 Feb 2014
at 00:19
Re: Errant Vale
Irael shakes her head softly. "I am no stranger to being misunderstood," she says in a near-whisper.

She casts Cure Light Wounds on Hyek, then agrees with his assessment of the treasure. "Yes, let them take the gold and platinum as well. Perhaps they can use it to aid their defense and provide some small comfort to those who lost loved ones."
Hyek Talapus
 player, 758 posts
Wed 19 Feb 2014
at 00:31
Re: Errant Vale
Thank you, warm-hearted lady.
Borya, Son of Gleb
 player, 118 posts
 Human fighter
 Thac0 12 HP33 AC4
Wed 19 Feb 2014
at 16:20
Re: Errant Vale
Borya nods his head..."Yes, leave the coin to rebuild and strengthen the village. It will only slow us down and most likely it belongs to the people of this area anyway. The gems we can keep and travel comnfortably with. I have no interest in that honking giant sword either but perhaps it will suit one of you."
Ragnar Drapasson
 player, 834 posts
 Cacophonous Norse Warrior
 THAC0: 17-HP 27/41-AC: 3
Wed 19 Feb 2014
at 16:43
Re: Errant Vale
"The loot would only weigh us down unnecessarily at this time... plus we'll have our pick of better plunder soon enough."

Ragnar went with Seelah and saluted each of the fallen as she blessed them.  Later, he would sing a song for them, the same song the village men sang when one or more of their number fell.


genre:
-

Dry your eyes and quietly bear this pain with pride
For heaven shall remember the silent and the brave
And promise me they will never see, the fear within our eyes
We will give strength to those who still remain

So bury fear, for fate draws near
And hide the signs of pain
With noble acts, the bravest souls
Endure the heart's remains
Discard regret, that in this debt
A better world is made
That children of a newer day might remember
And avoid our fate

Hold your head up high-for there is no greater love
Think of the faces of the people you defend
And promise me, they will never see the tears within our eyes
Although we are men, with mortal sins, angels never cry

So bury fear, for fate draws near
And hide the signs of pain
With noble acts, the bravest souls
Endure the heart's remains
Discard regret, that in this debt
A better world is made
That children of a newer day might remember
And avoid our fate

And in this moment..I will not run
It is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope
Within our bloodied hands
And in our Dying, we're more alive-than we have ever been
I've lived for these few seconds
For I am Winter born

And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be the light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winter born
Without denying, a faith in man
That I have never known
I hear the angels call my name
And I am Winter born

Within this moment now
I am for you, though better men have failed
I will give my life for love
For I am Winter born
And in my dying
I'm more alive, than I have ever been
I will make this sacrifice
For I am Winter born.
Ragnar Drapasson
 player, 835 posts
 Cacophonous Norse Warrior
 THAC0: 17-HP 27/41-AC: 3
Wed 19 Feb 2014
at 16:46
Re: Errant Vale
Ragnar eyes the two-handed sword, nearly identical to his own non-magical sword.  Sighing, he says, "Take it.  I have my spear and the blooding blade my father wore.  In the right hands-" he glances at Seelah, "it could make a difference in the defense of the town."
Seelah
 player, 8 posts
 Paladin of Pelor
Wed 19 Feb 2014
at 17:01
Re: Errant Vale
Seelah looks at Ragnar in surprise, first, for the song, and second for the gift of the sword.

"We'll both bear honorable blades, then.  I will wield it with pride, and hopefully with the honor which you give me."

She nods solemnly at the northman.


She reaches out to Irael as well.

"Forgive my pride, I meant not to offend.  Pelor's precepts teach patience, yet I am not always so faithful in executing his will.  You are a companion of this group, and I sense no evil in you, thus I count you friend."
Irael'Riina
 player, 258 posts
 Elf - Mystic
 ThAC0 20 / HP 15 / AC 7
Wed 19 Feb 2014
at 21:44
Re: Errant Vale
Seelah:
"Forgive my pride, I meant not to offend.  Pelor's precepts teach patience, yet I am not always so faithful in executing his will.  You are a companion of this group, and I sense no evil in you, thus I count you friend."


Irael gets a dreamy, faraway look in her eyes and stands perfectly still for a few uncomfortable moments. She speaks while seeming to stare far into the distance. "Before this journey is done Kirith Sotherill's servant will save your life. That is when your pride will be sorely tested."

She seems to come back to reality and shakes her head. Her posture suggests she is ready to move on.
Horace Auspex
 player, 645 posts
 Human Cleric Level 5
 Thac0 18 HP 29/29 AC 0
Thu 20 Feb 2014
at 02:18
Re: Errant Vale
Horace cleans bits of giant from the end of his flail then observes the honoring of the fallen fighters.

"Yes, let the platinum go to the families of the fallen and the gold to improving the defenses. Hopefully they will not need it and we will find success over our enemies."

"Irael, thank you for the help with that ogre. I'd say our gods had their eyes upon us in this fight. Let's hope we can keep their attention."

Horace looks around the group looking for signs if injury.

"Does anyone else require healing? Earning Issoth's embrace only requires asking."
The Seer
 GM, 1936 posts
 I see you
Thu 20 Feb 2014
at 17:00
Re: Errant Vale
There is some cleanup to do.  It is now late afternoon, and Miroslav approaches and says, "I think we'll leave come the morning.  I will send a couple of my best men to scout ahead, just in case, but I think we'll be left alone tonight.  Any predators would've been scared off by the fight, and I don't expect another sortie through the vale."

"The smoke from the pyre is worrisome, however the snow should provide adequate cover, if you can bide the stink."


So the party settles down for the night - it passes uneventfully as the captain suggested.  The pile of corpses is now a smoldering mass:




The next day dawns as cold as the last, though the snow trickled off during the night.  The clouds are still a brooding mass in the sky above, threatening more, yet for now the weather seems content to bluster a bit.

Seelah seems eager to begin the trek west, and Miroslav has his men mustered and ready to move as the grey of dawn falls upon the little valley.  He shakes your hands, and with a nod, says, "Blessings to you all, from whatever gods you pray to."

Turning, he mounts and departs toward his men.


Okay - party order, watches, and who is scouting with Seelah, please.  Don't forget to update spells.

[Private to Irael'Riina: Seelah is troubled by Irael's words, but only offers, "Perhaps I shall return the favor."]
Horace Auspex
 player, 646 posts
 Human Cleric Level 5
 Thac0 18 HP 29/29 AC 0
Fri 21 Feb 2014
at 20:44
Re: Errant Vale
Horace will stay with the main group toward the front and he'll take last watch when camping.

Spells updated.
The Seer
 GM, 1938 posts
 I see you
Mon 24 Feb 2014
at 01:00
Re: Errant Vale
The soldiers of Errant Vale retreat with a final wave from Miroslav, while the party sees to its own affair.  With spells restored, and wounds healed, the party follows a handwritten map on a piece of parchment that shows the way to the Stead of the Hill Giant, Nosnra.

It is an arduous journey, yet you make it without incident - either Nosnra is arrogant enough to assume victory by his last force (which fell to the joint force of party and Valers), or he's just a sloppy liege-lord, and cares little for the niceties of actually running the lands he conquers.

Either way, it bodes well for the party, who finds a cave overlooking a wide shelf upon which sits a wooden stockade.  This is a huge cave, though fairly hidden by undergrowth within a copse of trees.  As long as you take care, it should provide a unique hidey-hole from prying eyes - assuming you plan your retreats there carefully.

There isn't much goings on, as you observe the fort during the rest of that day - a few giants exit, do a quick circle around the perimeter, than enter again by the main gate on the left side of the front face of the wall.

All in all, it seems a sleepy place, one content and confident in their security.


ooc: okay folks - watch schedules, orders of march, etc. please.  I'll be starting a new thread titled 'Against the Giants' tomorrow, then I'm off to Galveston, TX via SW Airlines.  Hope they land at the right airport...

;)