Besieged!   Posted by Maenae.Group: archive 0
Borya, Son of Gleb
 player, 143 posts
 Human fighter
 Thac0 12 HP33 AC4
Mon 23 Mar 2015
at 15:21
Re: Besieged!
Borya also sits nodding his head..."Aye, my friends have summed up what we must do better than I. We must do what must be done and pay the consequences for our actions afterward."

He offers the orcish allies a friendly nod as well, he had no real problem working closely with the orcish tribes. As long as they shared a common and deadly enemy he felt he could trust them.
Maenae
 NPC, 44 posts
Tue 31 Mar 2015
at 02:05
Re: Besieged!
"What use scorched earth, Ragnar?" asked the High Priestess.  "That will just push them south, down out of the Darkshrouds, to vent their wrath upon the Vale.  Better they should grow complacent with their eyes turned north.  Let DragonStone take the weight of their armies.

"Yet I would not you sit idle while they they are distracted with their next conquest.  'Tis our belief,"
and she turns and offers a nod to Alderon and Meris, "that small groups might infiltrate the mountains.  Such parties would prove useful as scouts, and, when opportune as death squads who could sow confusion and discord.  Ever are the armies of darkness at odds with one another...such a strategy is one of attrition, but no less effective for taking the long view."

"And, when the enemy is most disorganized, 'tis my hope that we can face them upon equal footing, and retake what was lost."

Ragnar Drapasson
 player, 879 posts
 SWORD AND SPEAR!
 F7 THAC0:14; HP 61; AC:0
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 19:25
Re: Besieged!
Ragnar's mouth is thin-lipped for a time then relents.  "Going a-viking need not mean spending our strength foolishly.  Intelligent destruction rather than mass extinction - for the moment! - does seem a more prudent course, though it grates my soul and need for revenge."
Marroar Silentread
 player, 577 posts
 elf, magic user
 lvl 5, 28hp, AC6
Wed 1 Apr 2015
at 19:37
Re: Besieged!
Marroar grinned, knowing his friend's wish to destroy the giants and in truth his heart wasn't far from the same decision. But the priestess was right, of course. Now they didn't have the band they'd travelled with, much less an army of their own. "It would not be difficult to confuse them. Perhaps I could wear a disguise to appear as Drow, if I am seen it could break a trust perhaps?" Marroar shrugged.
Father Pompey
 player, 2 posts
 Human Cleric
 of Heironeous
Thu 2 Apr 2015
at 21:26
Re: Besieged!
The door opens and in walks a man wearing bloodstained blue vestments. He looks weary and his silvery gray hair is pasted to his head from sweat.
He takes in the room, noting the interesting array of folks present...and then goes to one knee and bows his head.

"Pardon my lateness, m'lady Maenae. I have been quite busy doling out the healing of the Invincible One to those in need."

He raises his head but does not stand. "For those who do not know me, I am Pompey Almondale, priest of Heironeous. I hear there are some giants who need...to remember their place."
Maenae
 NPC, 45 posts
Thu 2 Apr 2015
at 21:56
Re: Besieged!
Maenae smiles gently.

"No worries, Father," said Maenae.  "Methinks all in here know of you, at least, if they don't know you personally.  Your efforts on behalf of the sick and injured are well noted."

She takes a moment to introduce the good Father - most he knows already, but she makes a special point to introduce Ragnar, Marroar and Borya to him.

"We were just talking about striking back at the enemy, so your timing is fortuitous.  Small groups, guerilla style.  Though the heights teem with giantkind, their attention turns north, to Dragonstone.  Opportunity presents itself, but I would have everyone's opinion on this - your's included as you'll be assigned to the survivors of the band who were in Ansbach just prior to its fall."

Again, she nods toward Marroar, Borya and Ragnar, where they sit near one another.

"What are your thoughts, Father?" she asks, turning her chin up expectantly.
Borya, Son of Gleb
 player, 145 posts
 Human fighter
 Thac0 12 HP33 AC4
Thu 2 Apr 2015
at 22:23
Re: Besieged!
Borya nods a greeting towards Father Pompey..."Pleased to make your acquaintance Father. I can't help but wish that we had met you some months ago. Perhaps then some of our comrades would still be with us."

He looks to Maenae and speaks..."You are wise my Lady, I would have scorched the earth and sent he giants south had it been left up to me."
Father Pompey
 player, 3 posts
 Human Cleric
 of Heironeous
Thu 2 Apr 2015
at 22:59
Re: Besieged!
Still on one knee, Pompey says, "Part of me wishes to venture in and see if we can bring healing to the land, including the giant humanoids who have waylaid the good people of Ansbach. But...a bigger part of me wishes to wet the blade of my sword, Honor's Call, with the blood of the evil ones who destroyed innocent lives! In the name of Heironeous, there will be a reckoning!"

Pompey finds himself standing, sword in hand. Blushing slightly, he sheathes his blade and bows to Maenae once again, before finding a chair.
Ragnar Drapasson
 player, 880 posts
 SWORD AND SPEAR!
 F7 THAC0:14; HP 61; AC:0
Sun 5 Apr 2015
at 22:26
Re: Besieged!
Before the blushing priest can sit down, Ragnar smashes his fist against the table in support.  "Now THAT is a battle priest worthy of his salt!"
Marroar Silentread
 player, 578 posts
 elf, magic user
 lvl 5, 28hp, AC6
Mon 6 Apr 2015
at 01:18
Re: Besieged!
Marroar gives the priest a nod, he hadn't met the man yet, but had heard his name mentioned here and there. "Well met Father, it seems you've Ragnar's approval already."
Borya, Son of Gleb
 player, 146 posts
 Human fighter
 Thac0 12 HP33 AC4
Tue 7 Apr 2015
at 12:11
Re: Besieged!
Borya throws his head back and laughs when he sees the interplay between his comrades in arms and the priest..."This should prove interesting!"
Father Pompey
 player, 4 posts
 Human Cleric
 of Heironeous
Wed 8 Apr 2015
at 00:07
Re: Besieged!
Pomey smiles at the comments of his new companions and says, "I look forward to bleeding and shedding blood with you all, my new friends."
Ragnar Drapasson
 player, 881 posts
 SWORD AND SPEAR!
 F7 THAC0:14; HP 61; AC:0
Thu 9 Apr 2015
at 17:10
Re: Besieged!
"Let's not do too much bleeding, eh?  Put the enemy out of OUR misery, I say!"
The Seer
 GM, 2030 posts
 I see you
Fri 10 Apr 2015
at 13:25
Re: Besieged!
The half orc beside Ragnar and Borya growls his approval as well.

"Makes me wish I could join you on the hunt!" he said with a snarl.  "Enough hunting for my folk here on the periphery of the Vale, however.  Wherever you go, Gruumsh's ferocity be with you!"

For her part, Mishpat looks a bit nonplussed by the sudden exchange.  When Father Pompey sits, she begins again.

"Scouts have told us that a small rear guard protects the giantish withdrawal from the heights overlooking the Vale.  They lack discipline, are careless in their watches and seem ill-suited to such a task.  We're looking for a small band to reconnoiter, discover their comportment and perhaps cut them a bit for their carelessness."

"You seem uniquely suited to the task."

Her beautiful eyes study the companions as she says as much.

"Will you hunt, gentlemen?" asks Maenae, breaking into the briefing.
Marroar Silentread
 player, 579 posts
 elf, magic user
 lvl 5, 28hp, AC6
Fri 10 Apr 2015
at 14:06
Re: Besieged!
Marroar smiled, "I believe we will, yes?" he gives a glance to Ragnar, "If my delicate friend Ragnar is up to it of course."
Father Pompey
 player, 5 posts
 Human Cleric
 of Heironeous
Sat 11 Apr 2015
at 12:26
Re: Besieged!
"Indeed, lady Maenae."
Borya, Son of Gleb
 player, 147 posts
 Human fighter
 Thac0 12 HP33 AC4
Sat 11 Apr 2015
at 23:48
Re: Besieged!
Borya nods his head towards Maenae..."Aye, you have my might and will Lady."
The Seer
 GM, 2031 posts
 I see you
Sun 12 Apr 2015
at 02:26
Re: Besieged!
Maenae offers a knowing smile, defers once again to Mishpat, who seems to have taken over as a Field Marshal of sorts.

Mishpat pulls a cloth from the middle of the table revealing a map of the lower Darkshrouds, an area you all are very familiar with (ooc: ergo no map).  There is an 'X' marking a spot that sits at the head of a pass that leads further north.

"Here marks the southern most post of the giantish rear guard," the priestess remarks.  "According to our scouts, and some timely scrying, we've been able to determine that, although this post blocks the way north toward the ruins of Ansbach, it is hardly more than a bivouac.  There are no walls and few fortifications other than some pike lines.  Even those are hastily and improperly raised.

As near as we can tell, there are fewer than forty giant-kind.  The usual slaves exist - goblinoids and orcs - yet much like further north, the humanoids most likely will flee at first chance.  Given the right incentive, however..."

She shrugs at this.

Continuing on, she adds, "The group is led by a male drow of brutal demeanor.  Like most of his kind, he is arrogant, and puissant in basic magics.  He seems a decent hand with a blade as well."

"The task at hand is simple.  Sow discord and confusion so that a force consisting of orcs and humans following a day behind you can fall upon them and wipe them out swiftly.  The Captain of this troop will be loathe to call for aid if he can help it - our hope is that his pride will hold out until he is surrounded."

"Simple...but effective.  As long as you do not try to slay the entire band yourselves.  Save some for the rest of us - that band of orcs will then build a redoubt where we can begin staging troops.  Hopefully, come the summer, we can begin our own campaign to take back the 'Shrouds."

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:28, Sun 12 Apr 2015.

Father Pompey
 player, 6 posts
 Human Cleric
 of Heironeous
Sun 12 Apr 2015
at 17:52
Re: Besieged!
"Fewer tha forty...hmph..." grunts Father Pompey, glancing at his companions.
"Hit and run tactics seem to be in order my friends," he says a little louder. "When do we leave again, Commander Mishpat?"
Marroar Silentread
 player, 580 posts
 elf, magic user
 lvl 5, 28hp, AC6
Mon 13 Apr 2015
at 11:47
Re: Besieged!
Marroar nodded to the priest, "Indeed father, they would seem to be the order of the day. A few well placed spells, arrows and Ragnar doing what he does and we should have them scurrying."
Maenae
 NPC, 46 posts
Tue 14 Apr 2015
at 00:55
Re: Besieged!
It seems, then, that a course is decided.  Our opening gambit will, hopefully, begin the process of driving a wedge between the giantkin and their allies, with the ultimate goal of relieving the pressure mounting on Dragonstone.

Each here has their own responsibilities, tomorrow you must provision early and set your course...


That said, Maenae stands and dismisses the gathering to their duties...outside the chamber the late afternoon sun hides behind a cloak of darkened clouds.  Spring's breath can be felt upon the cold, late winter wind.  As the three gather, joined by the fourth, they begin to discuss their fate.

ooc: consider this an opportunity to discuss tactics, strategy and what type of equipment should be brought - take a look at your character sheets to see if Non-wep proficiencies are updated as well.  I will begin the adventure in the lower Darkshrouds once you guys are satisfied that you're ready to begin.  Cheers!
Father Pompey
 player, 7 posts
 Human Cleric
 of Heironeous
Fri 17 Apr 2015
at 02:34
Re: Besieged!
How many of us are in the group? I count four > am I missing someone?
As for tactics, my guess is we are going to move in cautiously, do some recon on their fortifications and movements, and then harry them as best we can before reinforcements arrive...right?

The Seer
 GM, 2032 posts
 I see you
Fri 17 Apr 2015
at 03:13
Re: Besieged!
ooc: four PC's, yes.  Tactics are your choice...you certainly can do a full frontal assault if you wish.  Heh...
Borya, Son of Gleb
 player, 148 posts
 Human fighter
 Thac0 12 HP33 AC4
Fri 17 Apr 2015
at 13:08
Re: Besieged!
Borya leans forward and says..."Only four of us but I think we can work some miracles if the gods allow...my ability to move silently and blend in with the shadows has improved drastically since I took the gear from that drow assassin some weeks ago. We should be able to scout better now than ever."
Marroar Silentread
 player, 582 posts
 elf, magic user
 lvl 5, 28hp, AC6
Sat 18 Apr 2015
at 18:04
Re: Besieged!
Marroar nodded, "I've learned quite a bit as far as my magical arts go as well. I believe hit and run tactics will lead to many benefits with the giants."