Dragon Coast: A Killer's Funeral.   Posted by DM Mike.Group: 0
DM Mike
 GM, 622 posts
 ...
Thu 1 Jun 2006
at 02:17
Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Radcliffe wishes you well as you leave The Crying Lady and head off into the town looking for the man who should be hiring guards for the upcoming parade and public funeral.

You remember the half-elven bard's description of that man:  "Look for a tall man with a drooping moustache of grey named Harann.  He sometimes wears a suit of chainmail and a vest of scarlet over it.

He's in charge of any day-hires who help in the town, be they guardsmen, hole fillers, or what-have-you.

He's honest, does not expect you to grease his palm, and has the funds upon you to pay right away once the job is done."


You recall passing the town's sole cemetary as you made your way to The Crying Lady tavern, so the going is easy and quick.

As you near the cemetary, you see that about 100 or so of the townsfolk have already gathered for the funeral, and more are coming from all directions.  Soon the small cemetary will be nearly overrun with people.

The man who will be burned on a large pyre, a killer from a foreign land named "The Shadow Slayer" is known to have killed 7 merchants from Ilipur (the town you are now in).   Before that, he is said to have killed merchants and others in Westgate and Sembia.  He has slain over 100 people in all!

It is said by several people in the cemetary that hired mercenaries from Westgate brought The Shadow Slayer down.

It is feared that someone will try to steal the killer's body to try to raise him, ressurect him, or somehow turn him into some form of evil undead.

A soul so black, a person so evil, would surely make a powerful undead monster!

The plan is to take the body from the entrance of the town to the cemetary, then burn the body in a huge pyre, then to spread the askes far and wide.

=========================================================================

Ilipur:







.............................................

North is "up" on the map.

The Crying Lady tavern is the small white building down by the docks to the center right of the map.

The cemetary is north and east of it.  It looks like a fairly empty brown patch of land.

The parade route will go from the town's entrance to the north east of the map, down through a main road to the cemetary.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:34, Thu 01 June 2006.

Denira
 player, 127 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 48/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Sun 4 Jun 2006
at 06:47
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Shouldn't be too hard to spot this 'Harann' person Denira thinks to herself, looking for a shock of scarlet amongst the more plainly dressed townsfolk before the throng grows any larger.

OOC:

Spot check: 8

Bethany
 player, 30 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 16/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Sun 4 Jun 2006
at 21:44
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Walking amongst everyone Bethany searches for the red vest and from time to time even glances back behind her to see if the man they look for will actually spring forth into her eyes.
DM Mike
 GM, 642 posts
 ...
Mon 5 Jun 2006
at 02:20
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Bethany sees the man directing others to move away from the huge pyre that has been constructed.

Harann has a commanding presence, and everyone follows his orders.

As the group moves along the cemetary's trail to meet with Harann, townsfolk start to form into groups of about 4-8 people in each.

The group has to wait for several minutes to talk to Harann, but he notices them as they await their turn to speak with him.  He keeps his eye on them, and when most of the people he was directing have left for their tasks, he moves his head in a "follow me" motion.

He leads you behind a crypt building.

I am Harann, and I assume you know that I hire help in Ilipur at the authority of the mayor.

From the looks of you, you have some experience at arms and such.  That's good.

I can offer you 70 golds - legal tender all around the Coast - if you keep rabble away from the body that's being brought here.

Stand guard right here near the pyre, then, as the body is take from the wagon that will be bringing it, watch it close.  Attack anything that makes a move for it.

Stay with the pyre, even as it burns.  Stand safe away so as not to get burned, of course.  But stick as close as you can.  Watch the body burn until it is naught but ash.

A priest of Lathander named Garrik will be in charge of getting the ashes.  He's taller than I am and has a long red beard.  Once he issues his prayer and seals the container of the ashes, all is done and I'll pay you.

Understand?


Harann expects he is understood, but waits for questions.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:37, Mon 05 June 2006.

Drake Debonn
 player, 230 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 31/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Mon 5 Jun 2006
at 02:44
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake again, considers this job a 'useless' one, but still has nothing better. Since it looks like the rest of his travel-mates are interested in taking it he will stay with them to help.  Drake does little more than nod in acknowledgement of the directions.
Denira
 player, 128 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 48/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Mon 5 Jun 2006
at 13:56
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Denira never likes taking orders from men but this is a completely different culture here. Magic-adept children aren't removed from their parents at an early age, it's not just women who patrol the streets to keep order and the men aren't all drunken, smelly louts!

Still, it was unusual for men to be giving orders to her and she wasn't used to it yet.

"Of course, sir." she says, trying to hide the slight scowl she has on her face, only to remember that she is still wearing her mask.
DM Mike
 GM, 652 posts
 ...
Fri 9 Jun 2006
at 06:12
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Awaiting the arrival of one new PC to the group, then we'll move on to the pyre area.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 1 post
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 13/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Fri 9 Jun 2006
at 06:46
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir rushed through the streets of Ilipur, hoping to find this Harann he'd been told of soon.  The half-elf brushed his long, dark hair away from his eyes as he started to get closer to where Harann was supposed to be.  He hadn't had much to do since he got to the town, and he wouldd jumped right at the chance of guarding the funeral pyre.  As he finally spotted someone who resembled the description he'd gotten, talking to some group of people.  He quickly moved over there, but didn't speak up yet, letting the man finish his busines with the others first.
DM Mike
 GM, 658 posts
 ...
Fri 9 Jun 2006
at 22:15
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Thinking the dark-haired half-elf was with the party, Harann huff out You're late, but go up with your friends and get into position.

The moustached man then goes off, bellowing orders to his three or four assistants here.

It seems like Harann will be heading to the town's entrance and riding along with the casket.

--------------------------------

The group looks to each other and back to the half-elven newcomer as they make their way toward the pyre.

One old woman wobbles up to Drake and hands him a single red rose.  Thank you, brave soul, she says, smiling.

Some men nod as the party passes.  They are too humble to say "thank you" aloud, but honorable enough to know they would not be caught dead doing the hard work of adventuring for a living.

An older man in battered scale mail stands near the pyre.  His face is like stone, and when you appoach, his eyes dart nervously from face to face, stopping long on Denira's strange mask.

Harann, he would not listen to me, but old Horst has some strength left in his arms, and his sword is still sharp.  He stands proudly, ready to join you, and not moving away from his spot at the head of the pyre.

----------------------------

OOC: The group stands around the pyre, spread out around the tall pile of sticks and wood.

A large torch soaks in a kettle of oil and three tindertwigs are on a small stone at the foot of the kettle.

You know that either Harann, the mayor, or a cleric will light the pyre.

Bethany
 player, 32 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 16/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Fri 9 Jun 2006
at 23:18
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Feeling antsi for combat Bethany draws her blades and sets her self moving from foot to foot in a slow calculated manor.  Eyes dart from every person in the mass and to the new groupie.  You are not known to me right off hand friend.  Who may you be so we may be properly introduced if we are to work together?  My name is Bethany, I am hunter by trade but am skilled with the blades so i help my friends with tracking when the time comes.

Bethany smiles and a twinkle can be seen in her eyes as she is ready for a job.  Though this may be boring at first, with a city full of humans and dead man that more then one person wants she thinks she will be enjoying herself should  fight break out.
Denira
 player, 130 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 48/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Sat 10 Jun 2006
at 00:13
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Quietly, Denira sidles up to Drake.
"Paranoia may serve us well. Trust noone & be careful with that rose. You might 'prick your finger'."
She looks over the man in the scale mail with the same amount of suspicion she had just given the old lady. Denira was an experienced guard and when given duties she often went into a paranoid state of mind, becoming edgy. She had always been taught that the machinations of Thay never slept and to always look out for any possible thing that might indicate that they were up to their old tricks. She employed the same teaching in this state of mind.
"So, mister...Horst? How do you know Harann? You must understand that I cannot trust you. I am just doing my job."
Bethany could likely handle the elf and the others should be keeping their eyes peeled so Denira was fairly confident she could interview the old man.
DM Mike
 GM, 659 posts
 ...
Sat 10 Jun 2006
at 01:23
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Denira:
She looks over the man in the scale mail with the same amount of suspicion she had just given the old lady. Denira was an experienced guard and when given duties she often went into a paranoid state of mind, becoming edgy.

"So, mister...Horst? How do you know Harann? You must understand that I cannot trust you. I am just doing my job."

Bethany could likely handle the elf and the others should be keeping their eyes peeled so Denira was fairly confident she could interview the old man.


The tall old man bows to Denira.

Everyone in Ilipur knows Harann, for better or for worst.

There is a tinge of malace in Horst's voice as he speaks.

He...he thinks he runs the place, and true, he manages things very well and has a good mind for math and measuring things.  But his personality, his demeanor...

I do NOT bow to any man, and I expect none to bow to me.  I ask only for respect and I give it back in return.

For a man who measures money so well with scales that a sage would envy, you'd think he'd understand that sort of thing.


He squints as he looks at your mask, not sure what to make of it.

It is clear Horst is a seasoned warrior, but he probably did not travel much out of the immediate area.
Denira
 player, 131 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 48/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Sat 10 Jun 2006
at 01:47
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"Indeed, well, you sound as if you have a grudge against our employer. I shan't ask you what it is but unless you give me adequate reason I shall have to ask you to move on. With all due respect, I cannot risk you being at our backs. Rumours tell that an attack is likely and I for one refuse to take any risks by trusting strangers.

Now please, I don't want to have to ask you again."


Denira leaves it at that, hoping Horst will leave and goes back to patrolling, alternating her stares to the surrounding area & the conversation Bethany is having with the elf.
DM Mike
 GM, 662 posts
 ...
Sat 10 Jun 2006
at 03:04
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Horst huffs and his face goes red, his eyes go wide.

What the HELL?  How DARE you!  YOU!  Some out-of-towner, from...Gods knows where!  Tell ME, a life-long citizen of Ilipur what to do?

Girl - and I assume you are young, from your brashness - show respect for your elders, and for a man who defended this town from attacks of aquatic trolls and a dragon turtle!

I shall NOT "move on" just on your say so, and if you want to sully this day, then take arms, but I shall not be the one to attack first.


He purses his lips and stands tall, but from the darkness on his face and the way his hands shake, you can tell he is riled up.
Denira
 player, 132 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 48/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Sat 10 Jun 2006
at 03:37
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Denira swoops back around onto the man, her robe flowing elegantly.

"I asked thee 'nicely'. We have been given a job and I intend to do it with the least risk possible. Now please, move along. You are distracting me from my duties. Do whatever else you wish but you must leave the immediate area.

I cannot trust what you say on "your say so" either but if there is even the slightest chance of any of my party being hurt due to your presence then by The Hidden One I shall call the proper authorities and strike you down if I must. Now, if you truly intend for your city to be as safe as possible you will do what I ask."


As opposed to Horst, Denira just barely managed to keep her temper in check. She had been given orders by one man today and that was bad enough but by another? That was pushing it. She was an officer of the law, born and bred and it was her duty to carry it out.
DM Mike
 GM, 663 posts
 ...
Sat 10 Jun 2006
at 03:48
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Horst stands his ground for a solid minute, his jaw moving to the left, then the right, as he is clearly grinding his teeth.

Finally he moves close to Denira and hisses in her face Harann may be an oaf, but he is not an insensitive little whore who can't show her face in public.

Once this is over, he'll hear of this!


The man starts to walk away and some of the townsfolk point at you and murmur, clearly not pleased you've apparently forced Horst to move on.

There there, Horst.  We know you're a hero true, even if this lot doesn't.

I remember how you saved my pa, and for that, I am ever grateful.  You'll do better away from that rabble anyhow, Horst.  Maybe there at the front gate?

Horst smiles and waves at the locals who call out to him.

And a chilly wind breezes through the cemetary.

--------------------------------

OOC: 50 XPs for RPing, Denira.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 4 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 13/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Sat 10 Jun 2006
at 09:02
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Bethany :
Feeling antsi for combat Bethany draws her blades and sets her self moving from foot to foot in a slow calculated manor.  Eyes dart from every person in the mass and to the new groupie.  You are not known to me right off hand friend.  Who may you be so we may be properly introduced if we are to work together?  My name is Bethany, I am hunter by trade but am skilled with the blades so i help my friends with tracking when the time comes.


"I am Elodeir, and I weild magic as my weapons," Elodeir answered, before taking forth his sturdy crossbow, holding it with one hand.  It was still not loaded, so it presented no immediate danger to anyone.  "As well as this, I suppose, if my magics should run out.  A pleasure to meet you, Bethany," he said, and a cheerful smile crossed his face.

...

As the older man and the masked woman exchanged words, Elodeir silently listened, starting to worry about the man, and he reckoned the woman had been right in sending him away.
Denira
 player, 133 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 48/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Sat 10 Jun 2006
at 14:18
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
That encounter had left an ashen taste in Denira's mouth. Still, she had been called worse in her past, although usually by barbarians drunk on Jhuild. That man seemed lucid enough, if a bit full of himself. She bacame all the more determined to carry this mission through now. She started a patrol route, nearly stomping along it in frustration.
She didn't doubt her actions at all, she was just glad that Horst had left without a fight.
Her eyes scanned the area again but she didn't want another confrontation, so she left the elf to Bethany.
DM Mike
 GM, 664 posts
 ...
Sat 10 Jun 2006
at 20:31
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The locals huddle around in groups of 4 to 8 and await the arrival of the funeral wagon.

Some of the townspeople give the party dirty looks and a few point as they whisper to each other.

Horst can be seen milling about the crowd.  Some of the people pat him on the back in greeting and most seem to humor the older man.

Some of the locals swill wine and other drinks, and an enterprising tavernkeep has brought a wagon led by a donkey that has a keg of ale on it and a casque of wine.

He's doing a brisk trade.

========================================

Minutes later, a boy about 10 years old runs into the graveyard.  Oy, the wagon's startin' down the street!  Be here in about 10 minutes!

=========================================

A fat woman and her two children move through the crowd selling bits of cloth seeped in blood.

Get'cher killer's blood!  Got it fresh from the scene o' his death.  A silver each!  Get 'em while they's wet!

A minute or so later two young men move through the crowd offering the same thing for sale at 2 silvers each.

The killer must have bled more than a stuck pig!

And the worst is yet to come:

About five minutes after the little boy yelled his announcement, a fat man with a blood-stained apron waddles through the crowd with a wicker tray of various pieces of what look like meat.

Got parts of the Shadow Slayer's brain here, and a thumb and part of his heart.  Got one of his kidneys too!   Come and get the parts nice an' fresh.

A little woman with a black shawl looks over the meats and starts to laugh.  The fat man shoos her off and shouts out about his strange wares again.

Bethany and Drake can see that as he shoos her away, she pockets something small from his tray.

She moves off, letting some children look over the bloody items.
Denira
 player, 134 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 48/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Sat 10 Jun 2006
at 20:50
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Denira twitches.

"Stay sharp and stay near the body." she calls to the party. She storms over to the man selling the meat, aware that she is leaving a hole in their defences. She doesn't bother going over to the blood seller. As soon as she reaches the fat man in the apron, she examines the meat and once satisfied it isn't human she walks back to her post. If, on the off chance she thinks it is human she will attempt to confiscate the meat.

OOC: Heal check to identify meat = 26
DM Mike
 GM, 665 posts
 ...
Sat 10 Jun 2006
at 21:25
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The meats seem to come from a variety of creatures such as a cow, goat, and...maybe a large fish.

You don't see this "thumb" he claimed to have, though.
Denira
 player, 135 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 48/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Sat 10 Jun 2006
at 21:45
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Denira gets back into position and scours the crouds for anyone acting or looking suspicious. That "thumb" was likely stolen for a reason & Denira couldn't take any chances.

OOC: Spot check = 14

==========================================

FROM DM:

The townsfolk eye masked Denira suspiciously, but if she makes eye contact, they look away immediately.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:42, Sun 11 June 2006.

Drake Debonn
 player, 231 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 31/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Sun 11 Jun 2006
at 03:09
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake shows little or no emotion as the job begins, but does nod to the women who offered the rose, politely acknowledging her gift.  He slide the flower into his belt with his free hand, for his other keeps his shield ready.

As Denira spars with town hero, Drake merely watches, not taking sides. He does not want to insult a man who the town respects, but he also respects the level of duty Denira is taking for her job.  Drake has been done many duties such as this and in many towns as he traveled.  He likes to keep a low profile and not show disrespect for those who are of the town.

Taking his patrol with shield only, he begins to see the odd behavior of the townspeople, selling blood and meat. Drake wonders if this is a local custom or if this is a "special" occasion. Either way, it makes his a little uneasy.  He sees a women take something from the meat-seller, and tries to eye what it is, but the other people interested made it hard to get a good look.

As Denira moves to inspect the Meatman, Drake moves away from the crowd, not wanting to get too distracted by it.  Also, Drake catches some of Bethany's conversation with the half-elf.
DM Mike
 GM, 666 posts
 ...
Sun 11 Jun 2006
at 04:46
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
A big group of people come into the cemetary and people make way for them.

Soon they make their way close to the pyre.

One of the men seems to attract most of the attention from the others in the cemetary.

This man is dressed in a white shirt with dark brown pants and a black vest.  He is a bit overweight, but in no way fat.  He seems rugged, perhaps having seen some adventure a decade or so ago.

Radcliffe is with the group of people, and he nods and smiles at the members of the party he spoke to before.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:47, Sun 11 June 2006.

Bethany
 player, 33 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 16/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Sun 11 Jun 2006
at 16:01
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Looking to the crowd and the reaction of the "special items" being sold just enrages Bethany.  Another reason she thinks to her self why she dislikes the way humans act.  Gripping her blades tighter she inadvertly ignores anything the half elf has to say to her and starts to dart her eyes back and forth.  The old lady who pockets something shiney is a disturbing thing to Bethany as well.

Before she can yell a warning to the vendor the group of people she is supposed to wait for start to come up the path towards the pyre.  Moving so if the time came she could run towards the dead body Bethany awaits.  Whispering to her self I hope some fool runs towards the body, give me a true reason to hurt one of these humans today.

Bethany still has the image of the old lady in her mind and wonders what in the nine hells did she pocket.
DM Mike
 GM, 668 posts
 ...
Mon 12 Jun 2006
at 01:57
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Bethany and Drake: if you want to search for the old lady, you can still do so and stand near the pyre.

I need a Search skill check at -4 to the result if you stay near the pyre or without the negative modifier if you move around through the cemetary.


Drake Debonn
 player, 232 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 31/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Mon 12 Jun 2006
at 02:29
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake watches as the group moves near. It does not pass his eye that many of the people seem to be attracted to one man in particular.  Drake sees no need to leave his position at the pyre, but glances around to see if he can trake the lady that caught his eye at the meat-seller.  The crowd has mixed much though and he did not really get a great look at the women to be able to distiquish her from any other townfolk.

Drake continues to watch for signs of trouble, but honestly feels that too much is being made of this funeral.
DM Mike
 GM, 673 posts
 ...
Tue 13 Jun 2006
at 16:39
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Someone shouts from atop a roof about 2 blocks from the cemetery Here comes the wagon!  Wait..

There's TWO of 'em!


Murmurs go up around the gathered groups of people.

Two wagons?

Someone else die?

I heard the mayor's wife is sick.  That's why she ain't here with him.

Sick ain't dead, Mertyle.

Mebee 'tis a fake, ta throw folks off.  Ya know, like "Ohh, which wagon has the body" type thing?

You listen to too many bard's tales, Mona!

----------------------------------------

A few minutes later, a man dressed in leather armor with a bronze chestplate on rushes up to you after having talked with the group the mayor and Radcliffe are in.  (That group stands next-nearest the pyre from you.  The rest of the townsfolk are kept back about 30 feet from the pyre by men dressed like the one approaching you.)

Mayor just told us, one of the wagons is a fake.  I mean, the wagon isn't fake - that's real, of course.  The body inside is fake.  Not even a body, but a wood sculpture wrapped in a shroud.

The real wagon...I mean, the one with the <i>real<i> body inside it is driven by a man with a white flower in his hat.

The other rider has a red flower.

Both wagons'r gonna apporach the pyre, one to each side.

Stick with the wagon driven by the man with the white flower.

Got it?


The guard awaits your reply.
Drake Debonn
 player, 233 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 31/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 13 Jun 2006
at 17:12
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake nods in acknowledgement, but quickly turns and whispers as he passes Denira.  "We had better watch both wagons".

Drake doesn't have a good feeling about this.
Denira
 player, 136 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 48/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Tue 13 Jun 2006
at 17:25
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Denira nods as well, both to the armoured man & to Drake all at once.

If we stay with the one wagon that'll present it as the target Denira thinks to herself Or maybe that is the intention? she thinks it better not to ponder on this further and decides to guard the white flower-hatted driver's wagon.

OOC: I think we should call the wagon driven by the man wearing the white flower in his hat the 'white wagon' and the other the 'red wagon' to avoid confusion and obtuseness.
DM Mike
 GM, 674 posts
 ...
Tue 13 Jun 2006
at 17:43
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Satisfied with your replies, the guard nods once and hustles back to the mayor's party.

When he reaches the group, he speaks to the mayor and the mayor smiles and waves to you.

Randcliffe also waves, and his smile, though less apparant, speaks a bit more too you.

(If anyone wants to try to decipher it, a Sense Motive skill check, DC 13 would tell you.)
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 5 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 13/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Tue 13 Jun 2006
at 18:46
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir stayed around the others, intending to do as directed, standing guard by the wagon they were told to guard, while keeping an eye on the other as well, not at all convinced it was the wagon being guarded that would contain the actual corpse.  That did sound awfully blatant, after all.
Drake Debonn
 player, 234 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 31/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 13 Jun 2006
at 19:24
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake does not trust the situation and fears that they are being set up.  All is not well and then he sees the Bard trying to talk to them from the distance. Is he trying to warn us?" Drake wonders.

As the wagons approach, Drake positions himself close to the Pyre and towards the front side of the wagons.  He will make sure that he is in between both frontends of the wagons vs. being between the pyre and the "white" wagon.  That way he will be able to react to both sides of the crowd or to either wagon. He still does not draw a sword, but keeps his shield ready.
DM Mike
 GM, 675 posts
 ...
Wed 14 Jun 2006
at 04:35
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The crowds try to get closer to either the front gates of the cemetery, on top of some crypts, barrows, and mausoleums for better looks, or in front and around the pyre.

Two people get past the mayor's guards and try to grab at the lit flame, but you manage to stop them.

They are dragged off by the guards.  It's obvious they're drunk - this early in the day.

People grow more and more excited as the wagons draw close.

They are now a block away.

Some little children dance in a circle with a cabbage in the center of the circle.  Each gives it a kick at the end of a line of the morbid song they sing.

Aye, aye, the killer's dead.

They'll poke out his eyes

They'll chop off his head.

Aye, aye, the killer's dead.

His body'll be cut

His blood will run red.

Amylarn
 player, 32 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP17/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Wed 14 Jun 2006
at 17:23
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
A young woman with jet black hair and a wide brimmed hat moved slowly through the crowd watching the commotion with an amused expression. She wore a plain back shirt and a well made skirt of a utilitarian nature. Now and then the girl would stop and pickup conversation with the people in the crowd, smiling and nodding and occasionally laughing with whomever it was.

As the news spread among the crowd that there were two wagons she did as everyone else and stood on tip-toes to try and see what was going on.
DM Mike
 GM, 680 posts
 ...
Sat 17 Jun 2006
at 01:20
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Folks start to crowd the pyre and the mayor holds his hands up high and says in a loud but jocular voice.

All right, all right.  Give some room for the wagon to come with the body, or they'll be no show, eh?

Give some room for air to get to the fire, too, all.

Keep it orderly and we'll all have a good time.


Some of the crowd calm down a bit and the mayor whispers to the bard Radcliffe.

The elf nods and strums on his ebonwood lute.

The tune he plays is calming, and most of the folk who hear it stop jostling each other and pay attention to the music.

The wagon will be in the cemetery gates soon.

OOC: Meaning tomorrow when I post.  Just giving you some last few hours to prep, RP, plan, etc.
DM Mike
 GM, 682 posts
 ...
Sat 17 Jun 2006
at 05:25
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM
Amylarn
 player, 34 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP17/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Sun 18 Jun 2006
at 14:29
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM
Bethany
 player, 34 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 16/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Sun 18 Jun 2006
at 22:37
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Glancing from one person to another does nothing to settle her nerves for the carnage she is sure will happen.  Looking back to her companions she does not feel at ease even with the skill she knows they hold.  But in any case she wishes this to be over or for something to happen besides the bards song calming the week willed humans that flood this area like rats to a wheel of cheese.  Not wanting to disrespect her employer but the sight of all these humans is making her ansti to say the least.
Drake Debonn
 player, 235 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 31/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Mon 19 Jun 2006
at 01:18
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Drake's actions are pretty much already in place. My last post anticipated the wagons to get to the pyre much quicker than they did.  Just wanted to remind DM of my intentions.
DM Mike
 GM, 695 posts
 ...
Mon 19 Jun 2006
at 02:30
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Look for the wagons to arrive tomorrow!
Amylarn
 player, 35 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP17/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 19 Jun 2006
at 04:09
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM
DM Mike
 GM, 696 posts
 ...
Mon 19 Jun 2006
at 05:24
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM
Amylarn
 player, 36 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP17/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 19 Jun 2006
at 08:55
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM
DM Mike
 GM, 698 posts
 ...
Tue 20 Jun 2006
at 04:15
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The crowd moves and people start to shout that the wagons are coming.

Some people are surprised to see two wagons, but all of them move to allow for them to pass.

Each comes around to one side of the pyre.

The party spots the flowers on the riders' hats easily.

The "white" wagon is on the right of the pyre, the "red" wagon is on the left. Harann (the man who hired you) is near the two wagons and nods as he joins you to help with crowd control.  He remains on his horse.

People try to crowd around, and the group has its work cut out for it, forcing them back without doing any harm to the locals.

The mayor's group edges closer, and most of his guards are busy keeping the people out of the way of the mayor's view, but two of them also help repel the citizens.

Some of the local folks are not paying attention to the wagons, though.

Their attention is on the ground.  They are picking up silver and gold coins, scurrying around almost like rats.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:17, Tue 20 June 2006.

Drake Debonn
 player, 236 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 31/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 20 Jun 2006
at 15:31
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake remains at the front of the wagon's keeping the crowd back with his shield and trying to keep a calm voice. "Keep back. You will get to see this killer burned soon enough" and "Keep back, you don't want to get burnt when the pyre goes up".

Trying to keep and eye on the crowd and the wagons is proving to be very challenging. Drake truly cares about neither at this point, but will try to do what he is being paid for while waiting to satisfy his own curiousity about the wagons.  He catches a glimpse of metal on the ground and realizes another odd element to this event, coins on the ground.  Are they to keep the crowd at bay, to distract, or to insite more problems?  Drake glances around to see if he can gain a clue as to where they are coming from


======================================

PM from DM:

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:07, Wed 21 June 2006.

Denira
 player, 139 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 48/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Tue 20 Jun 2006
at 15:46
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
A good tactic to alter the attentions of the crowd. Was this the mayor's doing, or was it to keep people's eyes away from the goings on nearer the wagons? Denira's eyes darted around, looking for anything suspicious once more.

==============================

FROM DM:

Make a Spot check to see what you...see.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:14, Wed 21 June 2006.

Amylarn
 player, 37 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP17/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 20 Jun 2006
at 17:32
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 6 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 13/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Tue 20 Jun 2006
at 18:22
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir kept close to the others, keeping a hand on the crossbow at his hip.  He didn't know what was up with the coins suddenly scattered on the ground, but he hoped they had been spread there to keep the crowd away from the wagons.
DM Mike
 GM, 702 posts
 ...
Wed 21 Jun 2006
at 07:45
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The crowd swells near the wagons, and it becomes hard for the party members to movew freely.

In some places the crowd becomes a living wall of flesh.

Elodeir sees an old woman with black circles under her eyes and black hair move toward the mayor's group and the pyre.

Near her is a big man with red hair and a thick beard.  Her eyes are intently on the man, while them man is looking at the wagon closest to him - the "red" wagon - the one with the killer's body on it.

The mayor nods to the two guards closest to him, and they help boost him up onto the "white" wagon.

He holds his hands up high and shouts out Friends, friends, please!

I know this is more a cause for celebration than a somber occasion, but the priest of Tyr wants to say his prayers and he asks for silence.

You'll all get a good look at things before we light the pyre.

But please, step back a bit.  Step back.


A few people listen and back up, but most folk do not move.

A man of nearly 60 winters wearing gleaming plate armor fights his way through the crowd.

Let me through, let me through!  In the name of Tyr, let me through!!

He gets to the front of the pyre and raises his holy symbol.

He seems confused by seeing two wagons and he looks from one to the other.

What...?

Harann steps over and whispers to the Tyran and the older man nods.

Harann nods to the driver of the "red" wagon and he and one of the mayor's guards go to the back of the wagon while two other men stand at the ready to help with the pine coffin.

There is a shout from near the "white" wagon and your attention is drawn there.

A woman screams The body!  It's...ALIVE!!

The wooden man - sculpted to take the place of the dead killer and fool those following the parade - has come..."alive" and has come out of the wagon.

It shoves into people in the crowd, knocking them back, hurting some of them.

Its funeral shroud falls away, revealing what looks like small moats of magic on its body.

Two of the mayor's guards swing their short swords at it, and one manages to hit the strange thing.  The blade becomes stuck for a few seconds in the thing's chest, and it takes all the guard's strength to yank his weapon back out.



----------------------------------------

It takes the party the round the wooden man attacks the crowd to move close enough to get to it.

The party members can now attack, but using missile weapons or spells with areas of effect that could hit people close to the wooden man may end up hurting members of the crowd.

I can try to get a map up late tomorrow if you like before deciding what to do.

In effect, you can attack before the wooden man can attack again, but be careful with missile weapons and certain spells.
Drake Debonn
 player, 237 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 31/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Thu 22 Jun 2006
at 20:02
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake's actions are not towards the wooden man. He instead heads to climb up the "red" wagon. Noticing that the man dropping the coins has a red beard, he wonders if he is the priest of Lathander named Garrik.

To check he calls out the name "Garrik". If the red-bearded man does not respond he will try to keep an eye on him and the women beside him.  Drake was hired to guard the body of the dead killer, and also attack all who near it.  Right now the wooden man is not in the job description, but may soon be. Still Drake does not have his sword pulled.
DM Mike
 GM, 704 posts
 ...
Fri 23 Jun 2006
at 06:28
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
At Drake's shouting the name "Garrik", the old armored priest of Tyr looks up from the crowd he tries to shove through to keep them away from the pyre and shouts back Do you know where Father Garrik is?  He was supposed to be here long ago.

Before Drake can answer, he is surprised when someone comes out the back of the wagon he stands upon.  As Drake responds to that, he feels the weight of the wagon shift again and someone comes onto the other side of the coach and shoves Drake hard from behind.

OOC: In play-by-post it is a bit harder to convey the senese of timeflow and the crush of people and action in this scene.

Drake hears the old priest, and instantly sees the person coming out the back of the wagon and less than a second later feels the wagon shift, then the shove.  It all happens in the span of 1, 2 seconds.


Drake:  To stay on the wagon, you need to roll a Reflex save, DC 14.  If you save, you can spin and attack whatever shoved you.

If you fail, you fall and take a point of damage from the fall.

Elodeir and Denira may have a chance to see the man coming out of the wagon and whatever shoved Drake.

A Spot check, DC 12 is needed to see who/what shoved Drake.  If your check is 15 or better you can see the man coming out the back.

------------------------------------------

There is a shrill shriek coming from near the center of the cemetery.  A...zombie!!

People start to shove harder and shouts, screams, and calls for help from the gods fill the air.

The mayor and his group are jostled around and Harann tries to call for order, but even his stern voice can not calm the people.

You see people start to fall at the hands of the undead thing and are repulsed when you see the thing's bloated body.



-------------------------

OOC: The zombie is about 50 feet from any of you.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 7 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 13/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Fri 23 Jun 2006
at 08:29
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Having never seen a zombie before, Elodeir was shocked, and more than a bit scared, and he wasn't sure of what to do.  Either take down the zombie, or that wooden man - and trying to decide which, made him unable to pay proper attention to the other things going on.  Eventually, he decided to wait and see what the others would do, to better make a choice himself.


OOC: Spot: 11
Denira
 player, 140 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 48/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Fri 23 Jun 2006
at 08:50
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Denira sees the zombie & instinctively reaches for her holy symbol.
"The Hidden One strike you down fiend!"

OOC: Turn a max 5 HD undead.

Spot check: crappy

Drake Debonn
 player, 238 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Fri 23 Jun 2006
at 11:59
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake knew something was wrong, and when someone came from the back of the wagon, he's suspicions were confirmed. Just when he was ready to act, he felt the wagon shift, as he tried to gain his balance someone/thing brushed him from behind, sending Drake to the ground.

Falling Drake tries to twist to see what hit him from behind, then he feels the winds shoot from his lungs as he hits the ground. Drake needs to get to his feet and will try to stand up, not only to do his job, but to avoid being trampled, by the crowd.


07:54, Today: Drake Debonn rolled 19 using 1d20+3. spot. (if allowed)
07:51, Today: Drake Debonn rolled 9 using 1d20+4. reflex save.


===================================

FROM DM:

OOC: Duh...it makes sense Drake could turn over and see who shoved him.  Sorry I did not state that in the post.

Drake looks up to see a tall man dressed in a dark cloak with a shadowy mask over his face take the reigns of the wagon.  He snaps them tight and yells for the horses to run.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:25, Sat 24 June 2006.

Amylarn
 player, 38 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP17/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Fri 23 Jun 2006
at 18:01
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM

This message was last edited by the player at 18:38, Fri 23 June 2006.

DM Mike
 GM, 708 posts
 ...
Sat 24 Jun 2006
at 03:37
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Reply in Drake's post above, but so far only HE sees the man who shoved him and the fact that the wagon with the killer's body in it will soon be moving.

The bloated zombie crumbles into a pile of bones and rotted flesh as Denira's mystical power touches it.

OOC:

Waiting for Bethany's post.  Will move on later in the weekend if she does not post.

Bethany
 player, 35 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 16/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Sun 25 Jun 2006
at 17:45
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
ooc: Sorry guys went to see my kids this weekend and long hours at work...

Seeing the wagon withOUT the wooden man start to move Bethany shoved people out of her way and pushed forward.  For the ones that would push back she bares the blades and her evil eye look letting them know she dont mind using the weapons.  Yelling at the top of her lungs in a shrill voice.  MOVE PEOPLE OR I WILL KILL YOU MY SELF, LET ME TO THE WAGONS NOW!!!

Glancing back into the crowd where the zombie is she just smiles as the humans are killed by it.  Thoughts of her doing that in her own way makes the evil creature her friend.  But the creature being of evil is never a good thing.  Her job for the wagons is more important then an undead warrior that the people could handle if they formed some sort of organization.

OOC2: 11:45, Today: Bethany rolled 25 using 1d20+8. spot for openings in crowd to wagon

===========================

FROM DM:

Bethany sees a winding route between three groups of people that will get her near or perhaps to the wagon as the horses get to full-out running.  Her heart races as she takes the sight in.

OOC: You'll need to make a straight Dex. check, DC 15 to get through the crowd and to the wagon.  If you make DC 12, you get near the wagon but can not get to it (without a Jump check - which we can get into after the Dex check).

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:28, Mon 26 June 2006.

Drake Debonn
 player, 239 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Sun 25 Jun 2006
at 22:47
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake pops up as quickly from the ground as possible, tucking his shield away. He is glad he did not have a sword in his hand when he fell. Hoping the mass of people will slow the wagon's movement, Drake eyes the back of the wagon, hoping to be able to pull himself up and then he will see if the driver is more interested in his own life or the steering the wagon.
DM Mike
 GM, 710 posts
 ...
Mon 26 Jun 2006
at 06:45
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Reply in Bethany's post above.

Drake sees that the driver of the wagon seems none-too concerned with the safety of the people in front of the wagon and he urges the horses on wildly.

-------------

The zombie has been reduced to a sick pile of once-human waste by Denira, the animated wooden man is being attacked by townsfolk who are, for the most part, able to get out of its way - its movements are slow and awkward.

Elodeir Nightjewel was looking at both the wooden thing and the zombie.  Relieved the zombie is no longer a threat, the elf-blooded seems to come to a decision when his attention is shattered by the panting voice of a strange woman with stingly black hair and dark circles under her eyes.

She points to a large man with a thick red beard and hair that, uncombed, would look like flames.  “The Zhent ‘r ‘ere! Over there!  Th’ man in th red hairs an ‘is crew ‘r Zhent spies!”

---------------

Denira turns in time to see the half-elven bard Radcliffe cast a spell at the man atop the wagon.  He wavers in his seat, but seems to shake off the effect of the spell.  The bard shouts out in a clear ringing voice That's no common driver!  He's been hired from the outside, I think!

The driver shouts a curse and tugs at the reigns of the horses, making them bolt forward, knocking over two of the mayor's guards and an old man who stood helping them try to quiet the horses.  It looks like Horst, the old warrior who wanted to help you before.

The horses trample over Horst and blood shoots from his mouth as his body is crushed.

-----------------------------------------------------

The wagon is now only about 20 feet from where it was at the pyre.  The driver will have to turn it sharply to the left or right to get it on a path out of the cemetery - unless he plans to somehow have it fly over the cemetery's wall!

------------------------------------------------------

The party can now act/attack.  All of you are between 15 and 40 feet from the wagon.

I'd say:

Drake 15'

Bethany 30' (assuming she is trying to chase after it, from her post above - this reflects some, not all of her attempt to get near or to the wagon)

Denira, Amylarn, and Elodir about 35 or so feet from it.

I won't quibble over 5 or 10 feet if it will mean the difference of an action you want to try.
Bethany
 player, 37 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 16/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Tue 27 Jun 2006
at 01:46
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Seeing the opening and the opportunity that it exposed Bethany takes off in the fastest movement she could.  Just befor she is able to get to the blasted cart someone cuts her off.  Keeping her momentum going she does the unthinkable and jumps.  Going no where and jumping into the person who steped in her way during this grand chaotic mob.  AAAARRRRRGGGH!!!!! MOVE IT YOU SCUM OR DIE BY SWORD!!!!

Looking to the cart as it starts to move away from her she cant help but feel pure anger towards this person who inadvertly steped into her way.

OOC: 19:40, Today: Bethany rolled 6 using 1d20+1. Jump?.
19:40, Today: Bethany rolled 14 using 1d20+2. Dex DC 15.

DM Mike
 GM, 713 posts
 ...
Tue 27 Jun 2006
at 04:41
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The people in the crowd near her try to get out of Bethany's way, but there are too many of them jostling each other for them to give her a clear path to the wagon as it starts to make its fast way away from the pyre.

She makes a desperate lunge for the wagon, but can not get close enough to grab onto it.
Drake Debonn
 player, 242 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 27 Jun 2006
at 17:55
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake being closest to the wagon gets up, already tucking away his shield and leaps towards the back of it.

13:52, Today: Drake Debonn rolled 15 using 1d20+5. jump....should be a 16, since my shield is not there.
Bethany
 player, 38 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 16/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Wed 28 Jun 2006
at 01:10
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM
DM Mike
 GM, 717 posts
 ...
Wed 28 Jun 2006
at 05:24
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake leaps onto the wagon and has to hang on as it starts to buckle and lurch through the throngs of people and the rough ground of the cemetery.\\

OOC: Those in the party who have not posted can act.
Denira
 player, 144 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 48/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Wed 28 Jun 2006
at 08:01
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Denira is conflicted. She knows that the wagons are her objective but at the same time, there is a huge wooden golem killing civillians. It was time to rely on some divine help.
She called for The Hidden One to grant her a ray of blinding light & hoped to make one of the horses rear. That would slow the wagon down, if not stop it altogether for a while so her allies could get on & intercept the driver. All she had to do was hit the horse. Holding out her palm at the end of her incantations directly at the horse the ray erupted from her hand.

OOC: Ranged Touch attack: 14, damage: 9

=====================================

FROM DM:

The grey horse on the left of the wagon team is struck and lets out a scream and rears up, slowing the wagon's movement for a few seconds.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:35, Thu 29 June 2006.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 9 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 13/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Wed 28 Jun 2006
at 08:45
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir made his way towards the wagon as it moved away, and raised his crossbow as he did, hoping to line up a shot at whomever was driving it.


========================

FROM DM:

Elodeir winces, trying to aim so as not to hit Drake, who stands close to the driver.

The jerky motion of the horse that Denira hit does not make the job any easier.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:40, Thu 29 June 2006.

Amylarn
 player, 42 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP17/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Wed 28 Jun 2006
at 17:11
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The old woman with the broad brim hat and dark shirt still runs toward Elodeir and is nearly next to him when she yells more insistently, ”Didn’cha hear me? Aah said there’s Zhent spies here! Roit there!” She points again but realizes as she does so that there is a lot of other commotion and the elf is faced away and aiming at a wagon driver. ”Flame and ashes!” she swears! Amylarn changes directions and runs toward the mayor and his entourage with the same warning, ”There’s Zhent spies ‘ere! Th’ man in th red ‘airs roit over there!”
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 11 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 13/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Wed 28 Jun 2006
at 21:52
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
If he had even heard the old woman rambling on about Zhent spies, Elodeir did not show it.
DM Mike
 GM, 721 posts
 ...
Thu 29 Jun 2006
at 07:47
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Replies in some posts above.

-------------------------

As the old woman shouts about spies of the Zhentarim being in the crowd, some people join in with things like I knew those Cyric lovers would be in the thick of things! and Damn Zhents!  Worse than cockroaches!  See one, there are at least 12 others!.

Those shouts are soon drowned out with screams of terror as a horde of rats races through the crowd.

RATS!

Gods, they're biting me!!

---------------------------------------------------

The wooden man is still toppling over townsfolk as it bashes through them near the front gates of the cemetery now, the carpet of rats is running toward the back of the wagon, and the wagon's driver is getting both is horses under control again and is trying to turn the wagon around, heedless of the townspeople he is knocking into.

------------------------------------------------------

OOC: Elodeir still has to post his attack, then the NPCs and creatures will attack, the wagon's motion will be determined, etc.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 12 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 13/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Thu 29 Jun 2006
at 11:17
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir quickly raised his crossbow, and launched a bolt through the crowds, seeking out the man driving the wagon away.
DM Mike
 GM, 724 posts
 ...
Fri 30 Jun 2006
at 03:23
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The bolt flies true and slices through the driver's left shoulder, drawing some blood and a shout of pain from the man.
DM Mike
 GM, 728 posts
 ...
Fri 30 Jun 2006
at 04:10
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The carpet of rats races through the crowd, casuing panic as they do.

The wooden golem-like thing continues to pound its way through the crowd.

The locals scream and rush about, jostling each other and causing all manners of havoc.

And the driver - now wounded - has a very hard time controlling the wagon he is driving.

The grey horse who was hit by Denira's magical ray is still hard to control and the work of turning the wagon in a tight semi-circle proves to be too difficult for him.  He finishes his turn and now faces the the open cemetery gate.

But the driver can not control the horses and wagon enough to make any ground toward the open gate.

The mayor's party, his guards, and the half-elven bard Radcliffe are doing all they can to control the people around them, but with little success.

----------------------------------------

OOC: The party is up again.

Right now the ranges of the party members to the wagon are still as stated above.  You can take a move action to get closer to it if you like.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 13 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 13/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Fri 30 Jun 2006
at 11:33
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Deciding against tempting fate with another shot through the crowd, Elodeir instead pointed his finger towards the driver, and after speaking a quick word, two bolts of force streaked from them and into the driver, slamming into his back.
Amylarn
 player, 43 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP17/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Fri 30 Jun 2006
at 18:03
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
After first trying to warn the pyre guards (PCs) and then the mayor himself, Amylarn finds only frustration that no one will listen to her. I guess rats and wooden men are more important. And seeing the way the golem pounds into the people she doesn't really blame them. Amy decides it's time look after number one. She looks around and through the commotion for a safe place to hide, or at least get out of the way, until the chaos passes. As soon as she spots one Amylarn makes a run for it dodging around anyone in the way.

13:54, Today: Amylarn rolled 22 using 1d20+3. Spot a hiding place.
DM Mike
 GM, 736 posts
 ...
Sun 2 Jul 2006
at 05:10
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir's magical bolts hit home, and the driver jolts up in the bench of the wagon.  He wobbles, then sits down again, urging the horses forward with weak threats.

He then gets to within 10 or so feet of the wagon and can see the man is breathing heavily.

He can also see that there are shapes moving inside the wagon.


Meanwhile, the old woman who'd been trying to speak with him darts somewhere and is out of sight.

===================

OOC: The other PCs can post/act.
Bethany
 player, 39 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 16/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Sun 2 Jul 2006
at 14:33
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The person stepped in front of Bethany soon found out it was a mistake as the butt of her sword comes crashing down ontop of thier leg.  The ball of the sword hits hard and true and with some luck she is able to drop them to one leg.  Stepping up onto the crouched persons back Bethany uses them as a spring board of sorts and tries to jump into the now cleared path the wounded driver is making with the caraige.
DM Mike
 GM, 746 posts
 ...
Sun 2 Jul 2006
at 20:18
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Bethany hisses a curse as the humans just keep getting in her way!

The one she belted shouts out in pain.  It's gots me!  Magics a'gots me!  Halp!!  He looks around, not realizing the source of his leg's sudden weakness is the attractive ranger near him.

She tries to leap toward the wagon, but a stout man in a bloody apron with the thick smell of fish upon him blocks her way.  Now that ain't right!  Someone's tryin' ta steal the body!  Where's them what's hired to stop this sort of thing when ya need 'em?!
Bethany
 player, 40 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 16/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Sun 2 Jul 2006
at 21:32
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Shoving the fat smelling fish monger Bethany growls so that everyone knows she means business.  We who were hired are being held up by you stupid people, how about helping us out so that we may do our job and STAY OUT OF OUR WAYS!!!!
DM Mike
 GM, 753 posts
 ...
Mon 3 Jul 2006
at 01:19
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The fishmonger's eye go wide.

D'oh!  Well...I...

And he waddles out of the way as best he can.
Amylarn
 player, 44 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP17/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 3 Jul 2006
at 14:39
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"


Keeping herself hidden for the moment, Amylarn does poke her head out now and then to keep an eye on the red haired Zhent and to make sure he was not headed her way.

================================

PM from the DM:

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:04, Tue 04 July 2006.

Drake Debonn
 player, 244 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Mon 3 Jul 2006
at 15:11
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drakes orders where to strike down anyone who tried to get close to the wagon.  Holding on with one hand, Drake's sword quickly is drawn and arcing towards the driver.
DM Mike
 GM, 756 posts
 ...
Tue 4 Jul 2006
at 07:07
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake's sword slices deeply across the driver's right shoulder and a nasty wound opens up.

The man lets go the reigns, and the horses, feeling the freedom, start to bolt.

----------------------------------

OOC: Drake:  Give me a Reflex save, DC 14 as the horses and wagon lurch forward.
Amylarn
 player, 45 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP17/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 4 Jul 2006
at 19:10
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM
DM Mike
 GM, 759 posts
 ...
Wed 5 Jul 2006
at 01:29
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The driver nearly falls from the wagon as the horses trample an old woman who could not get out of its way.

Radcliffe is trying to sooth the horses with a song, but that's not having any effect you can see, and the mayor's guards seem more concerned with getting His Honor out of the cemetery than anything else.

One of them has stayed behind and has drawn his sword, apparently ready to strike at one of the horses.
Bethany
 player, 41 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 16/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Wed 5 Jul 2006
at 02:36
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM?
DM Mike
 GM, 761 posts
 ...
Wed 5 Jul 2006
at 03:05
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM
Drake Debonn
 player, 245 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Wed 5 Jul 2006
at 12:58
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake's years of training is showing as he remains steady with the wagon lurking about.

08:56, Today: Drake Debonn rolled 18 using 1d20+4. reflex roll.
DM Mike
 GM, 764 posts
 ...
Thu 6 Jul 2006
at 07:10
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Denira can act, then the NPCs, monsters, etc. post/act.

Combat and actions are fast and confusing in this encounter to better give the feel of the rush and panic of the situation.  Least that's how I envisioned running this encounter.

But I need to maintain some order here and there.

So once Denira posts, I'll move on.

DM Mike
 GM, 766 posts
 ...
Fri 7 Jul 2006
at 06:11
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: See the OOC thread concerning a short (a few days) break in the region.

With over half the group gone, I don't want to move on without them.

So keep checking back, and once at least 2 of the missing 3 PCs/players return, we'll get rolling again.  I'd expect that to happen around Sunday or Monday at the latest.

Denira
 player, 151 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 48/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Wed 19 Jul 2006
at 14:27
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Denira is lost in the throng of panicked people running for their lives. Her hands are too busy stopping people from crushing her under their collected weight, leaving her unable to cast any spells and the tide of bodies is too thick to move anywhere for the moment. She patiently braces herself against the mass of people & looks for an opening in the crowd so she can move again.
DM Mike
 GM, 815 posts
 ...
Thu 20 Jul 2006
at 06:10
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"


Well THAT came out smaller than I thought it would!

If you can read it:

The grey area to the north-east is the pyre.

D = Denira

R = Drake (on the wagon)

A = Amylarn

E = Elodeir Nightjewel

B = Bethany

The white squares are gravestones.

The big statue is - a statue.

The skeleton is the destroyed zombie

The dark body on grey titles is the wagon and the crosses in front of it are the horses.  The lighter one is wounded.

The wood-colored tile is the mayor.

The other tiles with people on them are townsfolk.

================================================

The ridger atop the wagon is forcing the wagon through the crowd as best he can, heedless of the harm he does as he runs into and tramples people.

Someone (Elodeir, I think) saw movement from inside the wagon.

The horde of rats races among you now, biting and ripping at your feet and ankles.

Each PC (except Drake) takes a point of damage from the many rats.

The wagon is now fully turned around and the rider shouts, snapping the reins to make the horses run as fast as they can along the trail and out the cemetery.

=================================
The party can act again.

In 2 rounds, the wagon will be gone.

I don't think I can do another map.  Took me about an hour to muster up this one.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 07:00, Sat 22 July 2006.

Amylarn
 player, 50 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP17/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Thu 20 Jul 2006
at 17:51
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM


I just finished the 1st round of disguise removal. I'm still hiding and removing the rest of the disguise.]
Drake Debonn
 player, 247 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Fri 21 Jul 2006
at 02:11
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
With the wagon lurching around, Drake's next strike in not as good as the first. The Fighter feels the groups only hope is to take down the driver and stop the wagon himself.


09:35, Today: Drake Debonn rolled 14 using 1d20+8. attack.
09:36, Today: Drake Debonn rolled 8 using 1d8+3. damage.


==================================

FROM DM:

Drake feels his sword break bone and the driver looks up, blood gurgling from his slack mouth.

He sputters out something that only Drake can make out.

Blood splatters, hitting Drake on his chest.


The driver drops the reins and the horses keep charging wildly forward.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:59, Sat 22 July 2006.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 15 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 13/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Fri 21 Jul 2006
at 12:11
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Deciding against using his crossbow for a more effective way of striking the driver, Elodeir again pointed a finger towards him, barked out a quick word of power, and two bolts of force slammed into him.



14:10, Today: Elodeir Nightjewel rolled 8 using 2d4+2. Magic Missile.
DM Mike
 GM, 819 posts
 ...
Sat 22 Jul 2006
at 07:04
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Reply in Drake's post above.

Elodeir Nightjewel sees the driver droop to one side, blood coming from his mouth, and lets the magic from his spell rest in his hand for several seconds.

And a good thing, too!

For a dark figure moves out of the back of the wagon and raises two daggers, ready to stab into Drake's back.

The magic missiles slam into the dark figure, and Drake is now aware of him.
Denira
 player, 153 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 48/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Sat 22 Jul 2006
at 12:21
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The mss of people run in fear away from the dangers of the area. Denira sees her chance and finds a spot with less people. The dark one with the daggers catches her eye as she lost the "Zhent" everyone was screaming about in the confusion.
She kicked a few rats out of the way and began to cast a spell. She gets out her holy symbol and performs the necessary prayer, trying to paralyze this new threat.

OOC: Casting Hold Person, DC 16 Will save to negate

================================

FROM DM:

The small dark figure rises a dagger to strike at Drake's back but stops cold.  Its eyes are wide and that is all you can make out, as its face is half-covered with a black patch of cloth.

As the wagon bumps along, the figure falls flat on its back, one of its daggers thunking firmly into the wood of the wagon.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:49, Sun 23 July 2006.

Bethany
 player, 45 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 16/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Sat 22 Jul 2006
at 16:37
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Not caring about the rats or the people around the area Bethany moves to the path and runs to the horses.  Moving next to the creatures she does her best to reach out and grab the reins of the now fallen.  The mount she is near or hopes to be near she does not see any injuries on she does her best to calmit before going further into danger by the cart.
DM Mike
 GM, 822 posts
 ...
Sun 23 Jul 2006
at 08:06
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Reply in Denira's post above.

=========================

Bethany has no luck calming the horses.

Radcliffe, the half-elven bard, steps forward as if sensing Bethany's intentions and casts a spell, pointing his hands at the horses as golden light twinkles from his fingertips to the horses' ears.

There is no need to run!  You're safe, and these people will not harm you!  Try to stay calm!

One of the horses seems to hear and understand the bard and stops.

The other horse wants to keep running, so the wagon takes a harsh twist, knocking Drake over.

The horse that stopped actually seems to answer the half-elf!  It shakes its head, stamps a hoof, and makes snorting noises that Readcliffe takes in as if understanding what the horse is saying.


=========================================

The rats surge through the graveyard, and about a quarter of the townsfolk have managed to flee through its gates.

All characters except Drake take another point of damage from the rats' bites.

=============================================

OOC: For the next round, the wagon is stopped and each PC can act again.

Don't forget to take damage from the rats (2 points per all except Drake by now).

Amylarn
 player, 51 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP15/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Sun 23 Jul 2006
at 14:14
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:Mike, the wagon that everyone is focusing on is the "red" wagon, right? Where is the "white" wagon at this point? I re-read the thread but I didn't see where it went.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 16 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 11/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Sun 23 Jul 2006
at 14:41
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir rushed towards the wagon, trying to get onto it (and therefore also away from the rats).
Drake Debonn
 player, 248 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Mon 24 Jul 2006
at 00:35
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake is spins as the figure behind him is struck by magic missiles. He raises his sword in preparation, before the small foe freezes, most likely from more magic from his friends.  Just as Drake begins to struggle about taking down the held opponent the wagon lurches and Drake finds himself tumbling.


=====================================

PM from the DM

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:39, Mon 24 July 2006.

DM Mike
 GM, 827 posts
 ...
Mon 24 Jul 2006
at 08:36
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn:
OOC:Mike, the wagon that everyone is focusing on is the "red" wagon, right? Where is the "white" wagon at this point? I re-read the thread but I didn't see where it went.


======================

OOC:

It is near the pyre, its horses being held by some of the mayor's guards.

Yes, the red wagon is the one with the body in it. The white was the decoy.


DM Mike
 GM, 828 posts
 ...
Mon 24 Jul 2006
at 08:42
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir Nightjewel:
Elodeir rushed towards the wagon, trying to get onto it (and therefore also away from the rats).


As Elodeir gets onto the wagon he sees a raven fly into the open back of it!

He also sees that the black-clad figure is held utterly motionless as if by some sort of enchantment, and that Drake is able to stand up, righting himself as Radcliffe seems to quiet one of the horses.

The other one, which has been injured, is still panicked and not listening to what the half-elf may have to say to it.

The wagon is pitching and heaving as the injured horse tries to break into a run.
Amylarn
 player, 52 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP15/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 24 Jul 2006
at 19:51
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn’s blonde head peeked up from one of the tombstones she was hiding between. The red headed Zhent had eluded her for the moment but there was still plenty of opportunity to capitalize on the information she had put together and squeeze some coins out of someone’s pockets. The Zhent had been focused on that wagon over there so the odds were good that the driver was in on the secret plan. If he was still alive to talk to that is. At the very least it looked like a good place to get clear of the horde of rodents! The rats running by occasionally bit or scratched her ankles and it was very distracting. The girl took off at a run toward the “red” wagon with the intent to climb on.
Drake Debonn
 player, 249 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Wed 26 Jul 2006
at 02:48
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake quickly gains his footing again on the wagon, and brings his sword up to the held opponent's neck. He is well covered should he quickly overcome the spell.
DM Mike
 GM, 832 posts
 ...
Wed 26 Jul 2006
at 07:57
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

Awaiting Bethany and Denira's actions.

Denira
 player, 154 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 45/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Wed 26 Jul 2006
at 12:05
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The wagon was well defended now. Drake & the sorcerer were onboard and their seemingly main threat had been held by her spell for a short while. The rats were still an annoying problem, but most of the citizenry had fled.

That statue seemed to be gone & so did that Zhent who supposedly started all the fuss. She got closer to the wagon, pulling herself up onto the side of it to keep away from the rodents.
Bethany
 player, 46 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 16/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Thu 27 Jul 2006
at 04:21
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Grabbing the reigns Bethany quickly puts her hand up and starts to gently rub the horses to show them she is a friend.  Pulling the reigns a bit she does her best to make them stop and stay calm while the rats run over her feet and scratch at her legs.  They may be part of the wild but man they are smelly little agrivations much like the humans who are running around and out of the gravyards gates and around the tombstones.
DM Mike
 GM, 835 posts
 ...
Mon 31 Jul 2006
at 06:16
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The rats continue to race all over the pyre area and those PCs still standing on the ground take 2 points of damage as the grey and black vermin concentrate on your feet and ankles.

Radcliffe warns Bethany The horses are terrified and these rats are not helping matters in the lease.  I'd let go if I were you.  Or try to disconnect the horses from the wagon, if you think that is wise.

Amylarn is close enough to hear the bard's suggestion.

There are still screams from townsfolk who did not manage to leave the cemetery, and a number of farmers and other men from the town are returning with stout sticks and tools to smash at the wooden man, the rats, and other possible threats near the cemetery gates.

Drake sees that the small dark man he stands over is utterly still.  Drake thinks it is a halfling, but can not be sure until the cloth on its face is removed.

Out of the corner of her masked eye, Denira sees something dark move away from the wagon, up into the air, but she can not be sure what it was.

Meanwhile Elodeir is sure it is a raven, and it looks to be carrying something in its claws.

OOC: Only Elodeir sees the raven clearly and can get a missile attack off on it with no penalities.  The raven is about 20 feet away at present.

Denira could attack it, but her attack roll would be at -2.

Drake, Bethany, and Amylarn do not see the raven.

The party is up again.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 17 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 11/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Mon 31 Jul 2006
at 12:30
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"Is the raven carrying something?" Elodeir mumbled to himself, and looked up at it.  While he was no more than average at best with his crossbow, he raised it for a shot - perhaps he could somehow make it drop whatever it carried - it might turn out to be important, after all, he decided.  After a moment to steady himself, he let a bolt fly, seeking out the bird in flight.



OOC:
14:29, Today: Elodeir Nightjewel rolled 17 using 1d20+5. Attack.
14:29, Today: Elodeir Nightjewel rolled 5 using 1d8. Damage.

========================================

FROM DM:

Elodeir's bolt catches the bird in its mid-section, and it goes stiff from the attack.

It drops something about the size of a man's finger from its talons and lets out a shriek as it falls to the ground.

Elodeir swears he hears another shriek from somewhre outside the cemetery as the bird falls to the ground about 10 yards from where the item it was carrying fell.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:16, Fri 04 Aug 2006.

Drake Debonn
 player, 250 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Mon 31 Jul 2006
at 12:59
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
There is little compasion for the would-be assassin. Drake was given orders to protect the wagon and that is what he does. Someone has gone through great lengths to plan this disruption and the less distractions the better. With his sword already to the masked-man's throat, Drake slices.


==================================

FROM DM:

Drake slices deep across the stiff figure's throat and a gush of crimson blood washes up onto Drake's legs and chest.

The cloth covering the figure's face falls away and Drake can see it was a halfling female, wrapped head-to-toe in leather strap-like armor and black silk.

Horrified eyes look up at Drake as the little halfling dies.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:24, Fri 04 Aug 2006.

Denira
 player, 155 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 45/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Mon 31 Jul 2006
at 16:13
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Just in case Elodeir fails to down the 'raven' as he calls it (Denira couldn't tell any better) she takes a risk and incants a spell, ending it with an overpowering command to drop whatever it was carrying. It was a risk as it would only work if the bird was a wizard's familiar, and even then it may not affect it.
It was, however, the only thing she could possibly do as she had no ranged weapon.

OOC: Casting Command on the raven to make it drop what it's carrying. DC 14 Will save to resist unless it doesn't speak common. Then it has no effect.

===============================

FROM DM:

As she gets ready to cast her spell, the woman from Rashemen sees Elodeir strike the raven, killing it.

OOC: So she does not cast and waste her spell.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:33, Fri 04 Aug 2006.

Amylarn
 player, 53 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 31 Jul 2006
at 17:24
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn only wanted two things at this point; to talk to the wagon driver and to get away from those cursed rats. Her ankles and calves were bleeding and in the back of her mind the girl worried that she might catch some awful disease from them. Radcliffe’s suggestion sounded like a good idea to Amy. She made an effort to climb up on the wagon and begin releasing the hooks or chains that kept the horses attached to the it. If they were only leather she could more easily draw a dagger hidden in her skirt and cut them loose. Amylarn called to Bethany, ”You there, lady-elf, I will help you loose these horses.”
Bethany
 player, 47 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 16/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Tue 1 Aug 2006
at 01:20
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Taking her sword Bethany slashes at the reins and does her absolute best to not nick or hurt the horses.  Cutting at the main rope/leather strap Bethany tries hard to slash down and maintain her hold on the reins untill her job is done while taking the vermins bites and scratches to her legs.

OOC what is up with our page?  Or am I the only one seeing our portraits in the center and our words filling the page.

==================================

FROM DM:

Working quickly together, the two women manage to loosen the horses from the wagon.

One of them breaks free and runs to the middle of the cemetery where several large black rats crawl up it, digging in deep with their sharp teeth.

The other - the one Radcliffe holds and still talks to - is still.  The bard says He is frightened, but he'll be fine.  The other is probably a lost cause, I fear.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:39, Fri 04 Aug 2006.

Denira
 player, 156 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 45/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Tue 1 Aug 2006
at 01:32
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Well, I'm good so it must be you.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 18 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 11/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Tue 1 Aug 2006
at 01:35
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Bethany :
OOC what is up with our page?  Or am I the only one seeing our portraits in the center and our words filling the page.

OOC: I've got the same problem, yeah.
DM Mike
 GM, 840 posts
 ...
Tue 1 Aug 2006
at 07:05
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Nothing wrong on my end.

Maybe there is a notice or message about this in the RPoL messages?  I'll go look.

DM Mike
 GM, 841 posts
 ...
Tue 1 Aug 2006
at 07:13
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:  Nothing there.

I'll post in the game later on tonight.

DM Mike
 GM, 853 posts
 ...
Fri 4 Aug 2006
at 06:43
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Replies in posts above.

Current situation:

The raven that was carrying something about the size of a man's finger has been shot down and is dead.  Whatever it was carrying fell about 10 yards from where it fell.

Drake killed the halfling who attacked him.

The horses from the wagon have been set free, and one of them is being attacked by rats while the other is with the wagon, but not connected to it.

Rats still run about the place, but they seem more interested in the horse and rushing to devour the raven and whatever it held in its talons than in your boots for now.
Drake Debonn
 player, 252 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Fri 4 Aug 2006
at 11:55
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake is briefly taken back that the halfling is a female, but that doesn't make her any less of a threat. He wipes his blade with her own clothes and steps into the back of the wagon to inspect the situation and to see if he could tell what she had been doing as the wagon sped off.

Drake looks to the others by and on the wagon, "Search these two" pointing to the driver and the halfling, "They may have something on them to let the mayor know who did this"

=======================================

FROM DM:

The only member of the mayor's guards who is still near where the wagon was nods once, and looks through the bodies of the driver and the halfling.


He tosses down the following from the body of the halfling:  Two silvered daggers and their sheaths, a silver ring with a garnet in it, a light crossbow with 8 bolts, a leather pouch with some coins in it (5 GPs and 18 SPs) and two small vials.  One's empty.  Has the stopper off it.  Some sort of oil was in it, I think.  The other has a light blue liquid in it which is as thin as water.

From the body of the driver, the tall man tosses down the following:  A golden ring (probably a wedding ring), a short sword, a dagger, and a leather pouch with the following in it (a small ruby worth 50 GPs, 3 GPs, and 16 SPs).

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:53, Sun 06 Aug 2006.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 21 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 11/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Fri 4 Aug 2006
at 12:32
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
As he noticed the rats swarming towards the raven, and the thing it had dropped, Elodeir silently cursed.  If it should turn out to be important, he could hardly let the rats just eat it, after all.  So, he leaped off the wagon and ran as quickly as he could through the rats, hoping to get to the downed bird before the rats did.
Amylarn
 player, 54 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Sat 5 Aug 2006
at 14:42
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Since she's right there on the wagon, Amylarn follows the directions of the young man in black. She begins with the wagon driver and then the halfling woman.

10:40, Today: Amylarn rolled 16 using 1d20+7. Search the halfling.
10:40, Today: Amylarn rolled 21 using 1d20+7. Search the wagon driver.

DM Mike
 GM, 858 posts
 ...
Sun 6 Aug 2006
at 04:07
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: D'oh!  Should have read all the posts before I posted!  See my reply in Drake's post above.

Amylarn helps the guard to make sure he finds everything.

She turns both bodies over to see, and discovers a third dagger tucked in the back of the halfling's leather straps.  This one is idential to the other two.

She also notices that halfling has a tattoo on her back on her left shoulder blade.


Bethany
 player, 50 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 16/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Sun 6 Aug 2006
at 04:14
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Wishing she could help out more with the animals Bethany runs over and does her best to slash and kick at the rodents to create a small path for her to get to the horse.  When she is near she will gently slap the mount on the hind side in hopes that it will take off charging before she goes back to tend to helping out her co-workers.

OOC: Will try her best to get the horse out of the rats that are after it.  Slapping it on its rump should startle it enough to bolt faster then the rats I hope, then i will try my best to rejoin the others near the wagons.
DM Mike
 GM, 860 posts
 ...
Sun 6 Aug 2006
at 04:25
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Bethany helps the horse a great deal, and the animal races out of the cemetery with only 2 or so rats on it by the time it leaves.  It should be able to shake them off.

Bethany angers the rats (or it seems that way to her), and some of them leap up and bite her.  Others swarm around her feet and legs, nipping as they do.

Bethany: Take 3 points of damage.
DM Mike
 GM, 866 posts
 ...
Tue 8 Aug 2006
at 01:28
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir runs and sees the rats ripping into the body of the raven, spreading its blood all over themselves.

He can not yet see whatever the bird dropped from its talons, though.

Elodeir Nightjewel:  Give me a Search check, DC 14.  You can opt to "take 10" on the chance, but doing so will cause the rats to climb up your feet and ankles and you will take 1 point of damage.

You can also "take 20", making the check easily, and taking 3 points of damage from the rats.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 22 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 11/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Tue 8 Aug 2006
at 01:55
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
03:55, Today: Elodeir Nightjewel rolled 6 using 1d20+1. Search.

So much for hoping to get it done without taking damage.  :P  Is it too late to take 20 and the 3 damage?

DM Mike
 GM, 868 posts
 ...
Tue 8 Aug 2006
at 07:32
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Yup, too late.  You have to declare taking 10 or 20 at the start of the attempt, not after flubbing it.

=============================================

The rats rush about, now mostly running in no real pattern.  Some of them head out of the cemetery, some congregate on tombstones, some rush into crypts, and a few scamper into the pyre.

You see a grisly sight: the body of the old guard who wanted to stand with you (and command you) has been chewed over mercilessly by many of the rats.  His eyes, nose, lips, and ears have all been eaten away.
DM Mike
 GM, 869 posts
 ...
Tue 8 Aug 2006
at 07:38
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Harann and Father Garrik stand at the wagon and look over the bodies of the driver and the halfling.

Harann grunts Humph.  Nilos Thungren.  He's got a wife and two kids.  Now what the hells could have caused him to go all batty?

Never seen that halfling wench before, though.  From out of town.


Pulling at his drooping moustache, he spies the tattoo and shows it to Garrik.

The silver-haired priest of Lathander looks around the back of the wagon.

The body!  GONE!  I...I can't imagaine how...

Harann grunts again and points to the tattoo.  Garrik, I know the Silent Slayer had a lot of marking on his body.  And I'd bet a steak dinner he had that one on his shoulder just as this halfling does, too.

Still frazzled by the loss of the body, the priest looks at the tattoo and nods, but says nothing.

Radcliffe comes to stand next to Harann and assures him that you all did your best to protect the body, to which the tall man grunts a third time, but he says nothing.

The dark expression on his face speaks well enough of what he thinks of the job you did.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:40, Tue 08 Aug 2006.

DM Mike
 GM, 870 posts
 ...
Tue 8 Aug 2006
at 07:48
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Combat is over, so to allow for better RPing, well say the party members gather around the wagon, Harann, and Father Garrik.

Harann:

Father Garrik of Lathander:
Denira
 player, 158 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 45/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Tue 8 Aug 2006
at 14:18
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"Part of the body, a finger or somesuch has been eaten by the rats. It will require powerful magic to raise this killer. Who would have that kind of power?" Denira asks
Drake Debonn
 player, 253 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 8 Aug 2006
at 17:08
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake assumes the "dead" killer and the little halfling were in the same guild or like group.  He moves over to the possessions and sheaths his sword, but then pulls out a sabre and moves closer, ignoring the others. He does realize that those in charge are not happy, but hopes some payment is coming for their efforts.
DM Mike
 GM, 872 posts
 ...
Wed 9 Aug 2006
at 08:16
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Father Garrik, still bothered by the loss of the Silent Slayer's body, answers Denira's question softly.  Only me, so far as I know.  That is, in this town.

Harann grunts and interjects What about that cult?  I know they're just a rumor, but you never know, eh Padre?

Garrik shakes his head slowly.  I...I don't know.  I wouldn't think they're real.  More like tavern tales.

Radcliffe says with a somber tone Gentlemen, all tavern tales have some shred of truth at their middle, even if it a small one.  And in this case, I feel the shred is a bit more than that.

I have heard from several people I trust that they fear the cult is very real.


Harann stands in front of the bard, his head held high, looking down his nose at the shorter half-elf, his anger rising in his voice.

Well Gods, man!  Why did you not come to me or the captain of the mayor's guards with these stories.

Radcliffe sniffs <aqua>I did.  You tut-tutted me away.  The captain was a bit too drunk when I told him, and I fear he forgot.

The grunt from Harann is his loudest so far.
Denira
 player, 159 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 45/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Wed 9 Aug 2006
at 10:45
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Denira completely phased out when she noticed Horsts mangled corpse nearby and felt more than a little guilty about sending him on his way although she was still sure it was the correct action at the time.
To take her mind off of the disturbing thought she drew out her wand and expended a charge, looking for magic items among the fallen and concentrating to attune herself to their auras should any be found.

OOC: Using wand of Detect Magic. If I detect any magical auras tell me how many Spellcraft checks I have to make to determine their type.

===================================

PM from the DM:

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:18, Fri 11 Aug 2006.

Amylarn
 player, 55 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Wed 9 Aug 2006
at 16:18
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn had grown quiet as she stood nearby. Close enough to hear and see what was going on but far enough not to get in the way. The blonde girl was not officially supposed to be there so better if she is not noticed for the moment. She had been sorely tempted to take that third silver dagger with her when she found it but those gathered near might have seen that and seeing as how she has not official reason for being there that could have had ill consequences.

So Amylarn just listens and watches everyone in the area trying to spy out any recognizable faces.
DM Mike
 GM, 873 posts
 ...
Fri 11 Aug 2006
at 23:24
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"


Things quiet down, and it is established that the Silent Slayer's body is gone.

The cemetery clears out and while it is too much to say things return to normal, there is no more danger in the cemetery.

Harann looks gravely at all of you, then nods.

You all did good work in light of things.

I don't know that I can pay you the full price offered, but I can offer this:


He gives each of you 35 gold pieces and wishes you well.

OOC:

Amylarn needs to join the group officially, and then we'll move on to the next stage of the adventure.

Drake Debonn
 player, 254 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Sat 12 Aug 2006
at 01:58
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake finally comes back to join the conversation before everyone goes their own way. He goes up to Harann and the others,

Before the driver died he told me that he was "proud to die for Jerg....". He obviously didn't finish, but I did not know if that meant something to you.

Drake is happy to hear he will get some payment.  The price may seem small to most adventurers, but he has not had that kind of gold in his pocket for months.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 23 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 11/13 Svs F:3/R:4/W:3
Sat 12 Aug 2006
at 02:12
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir accepted his sum of gold, and while he wasn't exactly smiling, he was happy about it still - he wasn't used to those amounts of gold, after all.  Thinking that he should spend them well, he still wished he could have done more.  "Jerg?  That doesn't sound like a normal name...  Wait...  Jerg... Jergal?  Could that have been it?  He's that god of death, right?" he offered, being far from learned on religion, though he still recognized the name of one such as he.
Bethany
 player, 51 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Sat 12 Aug 2006
at 03:13
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Picking the bag from the man who hired her and the traveling companions she places it in her pack and shrugs.  What was there a reward for she thought to herself.  Looking to the strange person that didnt start the tour with her and her friends she taps a few of the others on the side or shoulder or what ever she can reach and points over to the girl.  Who is that, she was here and if memory serves me, she did help us a bit.

Bending over one of the dead bodies she attempts to give it a proper burial and kicks a few clumps of fecal covered dirt onto the body and sheaths her sword.
DM Mike
 GM, 875 posts
 ...
Sat 12 Aug 2006
at 03:47
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
At the mention of "Jergal" by Elodeir, Father Garrik's brow furrows.

He turns to Elodeir and says quietly Yes, Jergal...Lord of the end of everything, the one with no pity.  An evil god, lesser than some of the other evil ones, but still, one with a following, so one that needs to be watched.

Most of his worshipers are scribes, and I can't imagine at all this fellow was a serious worshipper.  But then again, stranger things have been seen on Toril.

Amylarn
 player, 56 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Sun 13 Aug 2006
at 14:13
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"


The jingle of gold coins brought a smile to Amylarn's lips and she stepped forward at the first lull in the conversation, "Aye that, priest. Strange things indeed, not the least of which would be a band of outlaws causing most of the commotion today." She nods in agreement with herself and actually sounds cheery about the whole thing. "Mmmhmm. Outlaws. At least a dozen of them. There and there and over there and all over. I recognized them and so obviously I went to try and notify the proper authorities. Yes I did. But alas, a plain looking young woman such as myself could only hope to try and avoid her own impending death. Making notice to persons of importance was simply beyond my abilities."

The chatty girl sighs and shakes her head. "So I found myself standing nearby the brave and strong guardsmen of the villain's dead body, that would be your four, and got caught up in the imperative instructions of the graceful man in black," She points at Drake with a smile, "and did as he told me to search the evil halfing girl and her companion. And when I found that third silver dagger and then that wicked tattoo on her I knew I was in the presence of important people and so clearly I must stay nearby to offer my meager assistance because what sort of citizen would I be if I simply disappeared into the crowd with that kind of knowledge?" Amy finally took a breath and it appeared she was done.

"Oh and the brave thing you did for that poor poor horse." Amylarn turned to Bethany and started in again, "Wherever did you learn such compassion and command? And, if I may say so, this outfit you wear is so wonderfully organic and natural. I imagine you must spend a great deal of time in the wilds of the land. Oh it must be glorious an relaxing out there. Is it not? I am more of a city girl myself and so I wear lots of different fashions of the times and urbanites because those are my customers of course so it follows that I would try to show them off and as it turns out I know every third person you'll meet between the Dragonmere and the Giant's Run Mountains. And-HEY! She interrupts herself, "I bet the four of you need someone who knows their way around the city and the people here. And of course I will be deeply honored to volunteer my assistance to you." Amylarn looks to each of the hero's faces with a meaningful and optimistic expression. "Which one of you is in charge?"
DM Mike
 GM, 880 posts
 ...
Sun 13 Aug 2006
at 21:25
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"


OOC: We'll say Amylarn's introduction goes well and she is welcome to join the group.

----------------------------------------------------------

As the cemetery clears out, the group heads back to The Crying Lady Tavern.

Radcliffe follows a bit behind, talking here and there with townsfolk who were in the cemetery to get their perspective on what happened.


OOC: Posting about tavern, to remind you about The Crying Lady.


Nestled between two busy warehouses on the docks of Ilipur about two blocks south of the cemetery, The Crying Lady is a favorite of traveling adventurers, sailors, women of fallen virtues, and merchants who can not afford the higher-priced taverns in the richer section of the city.








The Crying Lady is that little grey/white square building on the docks, on the "south" side of the map.  The cemetery is about 2 blocks to the northeast of The Crying Lady.

The map is flipped, however, and the water should be to the "north".


The owner of the Crying Lady is no lady at all, but a massive half orc named Timmon.  He employs only half orcs or half elves, and each of them wear clothing that is two colored, each color split down the middle.

Today, for instance, Timmon wears a shirt that is red on one side, a deep purple on the other.

Timmon claims that only those who are half-breed can fully understand each other, and his staff (an ugly half-elven ex-pirate named Gilgrey who is the cook, a half orc cleaner and bouncer named Vurgrund, and two serving girls, Hildy and Simone, for first a half-orc with flowing dark hair and the latter a half elven lass of mystery with short raven-black hair) seem to agree.

Timmon:


Gilgrey:


Vurgrund:


Hildy:


Simone:


Hildy, the half-orc, greets you as you enter, shaking her head.


Nasty business there at the cemetery I heard.

And some folk came in needing drinks, saying how brave they thought you were.

First drink's on the house today.

We still have that squash stew, late season snapper in a tangy sauce, bass with a side of spiced potatoes, or chicken stuffed with bread pudding and gravy.

You remember that each meal costs 5 silver and comes with a glass of wine, mug of ale, or goats's milk.


She points to the round table near the lighted fireplace near a small stage where you say before.

Radcliffe, the tall half elven bard, comes in about 10 minutes after you do.

He walks to the bar, sits down heavily, as if bothered by something, and orders an ale.

Despite the mess in the cemetery, his skin is still perfectly clean and pristine, as if he has never set foot among the common people.

Radcliffe:


DM Mike
 GM, 887 posts
 ...
Wed 16 Aug 2006
at 04:03
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Two of the mayor's guards come into The Crying Lady about 15 minutes after the party arrives.

They look a bit uncomfortable, but they sit at the bar and order stout ales and some bread and cheese as a snack.

They look to the PCs and raise their mugs in a silent toast, but they do not smile.

They then turn and speak quietly to themselves.
Amylarn
 player, 57 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Wed 16 Aug 2006
at 17:30
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn takes the opportunity for a free drink to order a glass of Elven wine and thanks Hildy for the compliment. The blonde refrains from ordering any food yet. There seems to follow an awkward silence and she has the urge to fill it. ”So...well met each of you. Hildy is right you know. Twas a brave thing you attempted to do. A terrible shame twas all for naught.” Amy sounds genuinely disappointed but hopes that bringing the situation into the open like this will get the others talking. She needed to know some things. ”I did not hear of any additional job offering to follow up the first. Do you suppose that good-man Harann has lost faith in your abilities?”

This message was last edited by the player at 14:42, Thu 17 Aug 2006.

Drake Debonn
 player, 257 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Thu 17 Aug 2006
at 20:52
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake, for the first time in a while, is able to feel comfortable about ordering a meal. He orders some chicken and wine, while accepting the free offer as well.  Radcliffe's entry and mood does not escape the fighter, but he is quickly side-tracked by Amylarn's inquirery.

He does not acknowledge the comment about the job today. Something about the driver bothered Drake, but a job was a job. He was ordered to take down anyone who attempted to take the body of the assassion, something Drake was skilled at.

Instead Drake returns the concern about Harann's faith in them, "I do not doubt the Harann trusts our skills. It is more likely that he and many others, including Radcliffe," Drake looks towards the bar "have deeper concerns for their town. Do not be surprised if they look to us for an answer"

Drake has been in this situation many times, hired to do a job that was larger than initially let on, or was meant to be.  When adventurers, such as this group, are around they are the natural choices to solve problems.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:46, Thu 17 Aug 2006.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 25 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Thu 17 Aug 2006
at 21:03
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir followed the others to the tavern, needing a drink now to calm himself - he had seen lots of things before, but what had happened today had topped them all.  The others didn't seem to mind him tagging along, so he dropped down by the table with them, settling for an ale for his free first drink.

"I almost hope they do...  I feel responsible, in a way, for what happened there...," he added to Drake's words, and looked down into the table.
Denira
 player, 162 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 45/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Thu 17 Aug 2006
at 22:15
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"In my homeland, an undead assassin would be something that the hardy barbarians and wychlaran alike would rightly fear. In this place, the people must be petrified!" Denira says, ordering one of the stronger drinks. She needed one after what had happened today.
Amylarn
 player, 58 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Fri 18 Aug 2006
at 20:32
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
”Elodeir, what makes you feel responsible. You could not control that situation anymore than Denira or Drake or even the mayor and his guards.” Amylarn sipped her wine and rolled a copper around in her fingers. ”Do you feel there was something else that should have been done Elodeir? Does anyone of you?” She tried to put them at ease over the failed assignment. ”I was there and I saw what you did. I saw it with my own two eyes. You each chose the best possible actions with the information you had to work with. I applaud you all for that.”
Drake Debonn
 player, 258 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Sat 19 Aug 2006
at 02:19
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake is not remorseful as Elodeir is.  He did what he could do, as Amylarn suggested. In fact he questions whether the assassin's body was really there at all. How could there have been time to remove a whole body, even with the distractions

"We don't even know the body was truely in the wagon, when it arrived to us. We assume it was, but we have no proof. This plan to steal the body could have happen well before we were involved and might include someone of stature in this town" Drake says, but in a softer tone, since the guards are here, as well as Radcliffe.

"I feel that even with the distractions, between all of our positions, we would have seen a body being removed.  I kept my focus on the wagon before everything happened and noticed nothing"
Amylarn
 player, 59 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Sat 19 Aug 2006
at 19:44
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Lowering her voice as Drake did, Amy presses for more information, "Drake, what makes you think there might be city officials involved? Who do you think is likely to do such a thing? I know a few important people about town and there are some who already appear as if they were walking dead." She chuckled but quickly grew serious again. "I am certain you are right Drake, with so many of you watching the wagon closely it would take extraordinary skill and possibly magic to get the corpse away where no one noticed." Amy sipped some more wine. "If you truly think the mayor or someone else will hire you again it may be wise to begin investigating what happened to the body and the wagon before it arrived at the cemetery. I should like very much to join you if I may."
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 26 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Sat 19 Aug 2006
at 20:05
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"I agree, and I should like a chance at clearing up what really happened, as well," Elodeir agreed, and shrugged.  "What's the worst thing that could happen, after all?" he added, and a smile which was probably meant to be cheerful crossed his face, though he did not really acchieve that.  Undead, assassins - all of that were more than what he'd ever dealt with before, he realized, and he hoped he would be able to help some, at least.
Bethany
 player, 53 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Sun 20 Aug 2006
at 04:16
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Entering the tavern after all the others Bethany sits down and listens intently on the words being tossed around.  Waiting for the young lady to finish her small speach, that she always had from what Bethany had seen, she pipes in a bit.  "We have no idea where the wagons were to start, and who was with the wagons before they were recieved at the cemetary.  Perhaps it is foul play, but I would much rather investigate myself the areas the wagons were and with the guards help or anyone you might know of Amylarn.  Block off some of the path that was taken."

Motioning for the barmaid to come over Bethany opts for free food over drink and a pitcher of water.  Slapping the wenches plump behind she winks to the girl and awaits her food.  "Can you provide that or at least help with that Amy?"
DM Mike
 GM, 895 posts
 ...
Sun 20 Aug 2006
at 08:25
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Hildy laughs when Bethany slaps her rump, but the laugh is somehow hollow and lacking real humor, as if she is used to such touches, even from other women.

She winks once, more to the assembled at the table than to Bethany alone.

I'll rustle up some free food for you all.  It will be a slow night, what with all the commotion that went on.

Most folk, even the sort who come here, will want to be home with those they care for.


She returns with a large tray of steamed fish filets with melted butter and slices of lemon atop them, thick slices of peppered ham, an assortment of fresh or steamed vegetables, warm bread, and small pies with apple slices or cherries inside them.

--------------------------

The group eats and talks a bit more.

The guardsmen are soon joined by a few rough looking men, and they all talk a bit loudly, shaking their heads as they think aloud.

Dunno what happened, but I was sure watching my wagon close.

Aye, as was I.  That damn raven, though.  Stuck with the one with the body in it all the way from the gate to the damn pyre.  I don't know what happened to it, but it sure as Umberlee's heart is cold wasn't no normal bird.  Wouldn't've followed the wagon so close for so long.

And that wooden dummy we put into the fake wagon.  it acted like a golem, but at the same time not like one.  Something different, like it got animated after the fact.

Ooh!  Listen to Elminster his-self here at our table.  "Animated"..."Something different"

The men continue to talk and rib each other, but one of the guards is silent throughout.

He rises and takes his leave quietly.

Oy, Arlo, don't let it get to you, okay?  Go have a snuggle with the wife.

Or Birk's wife, if you want something a bit better.  Just see the cleric in the morning or the rash'll get ya!

The man who made fun of "Elminster" hits the last speaker hard on the arm and the other men (except for Arlo, who is leaving) laugh loudly.
Denira
 player, 163 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 45/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Mon 21 Aug 2006
at 03:29
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Denira can't help but smirk after listening to the mens jibing. Still, she had her feelings about that raven and that discussion led further credence to her theories.

She also thought it quite odd that Bethany had slapped the maids behind. Such a thing in Rashemen would be nearly unheard of. It was the realm of the men only to do that kind of thing. Still, she was intruiged by this alien behaviour all the same.

She did wonder, however why the one man was so completely silent.
Bethany
 player, 54 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Mon 21 Aug 2006
at 03:55
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM

===========================================

PM reply:

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:46, Sun 27 Aug 2006.

Amylarn
 player, 60 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 22 Aug 2006
at 18:29
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn cocks an ear to the raucous guardsmen as she also chats. She thinks she would do well to ally herself to these Adventurers. Everyone knows that they always seem to searching for piles of treasure. "Aye that Bethany. Twill be my pleasure to speak with the people who were there." The blonde human eyes follow Arlo out of the room. "And I do believe I will begin right away. Will you each please excuse me?" She waits just a moment for any objections. If there are none Amylarn will subtly follow Arlo.

======================================

FROM DM:

A few seconds after Bethany leaves for the bathroom, Amylarn heads out into the night behind Arlo the guardsman.

What do the rest of you do?

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:49, Sun 27 Aug 2006.

DM Mike
 GM, 903 posts
 ...
Sun 27 Aug 2006
at 19:34
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM replies in posts above.
Drake Debonn
 player, 260 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Mon 28 Aug 2006
at 01:23
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM
Amylarn
 player, 62 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 28 Aug 2006
at 16:20
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
More PM.
DM Mike
 GM, 905 posts
 ...
Thu 31 Aug 2006
at 04:23
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:  DAMMIT!!!

I had this whole post typed out and my 'net service went down!!!

SO...here is an abreviated version - free of the magic of RPing, since it is so late and I have to get up for work by 6:30am.


Radcliff shares concerns and suspicions he has with Drake at the bar.

 + The raven that came out of the wagon was no normal animal, but was indeed a familiar; it acted too intelligently as it followed the wagon, then got inside it when the chaos broke out.

 + There are only two people in the area he knows of who have raven familiars: Brandlon the Bold, a fat old mage from the Spine of the World area who has an old tower to the west of town.  Brandlon is not home right now, but his apprentice Winfried is.  Winny, as she is called, is a shy mousy woman.

The other would be a young student of necromancy named Constance Ilithrane.  The Ilithranes are a powerful and rich family in the Dragon Coast area and they have estates all through the region.  Constance was last seen yesterday eve walking the route of the procession, her raven on her shoulder.

Both the Ilithrane estate and the tower of The Bold are well-guarded by forces seen and unseen.

 + There may be ways to get information on Brandlon and Constance without braving their homes: Brandlon often teaches townsfolk herbal skills and Constance likes the company of Durken Shark, one of the four Shark brothers who run the town's rendering house down on the docks.

--------------------------------------

OOC: Man, the original post was SO good, with a lot of flavor, RPing, etc.  Dang dial-up!!!
DM Mike
 GM, 906 posts
 ...
Thu 31 Aug 2006
at 04:26
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn:
More PM.


More MORE PM:
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 28 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Fri 1 Sep 2006
at 14:08
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
As the others moved out, Elodeir stayed by the table, reaching into his backpack to pull out a sheet of paper, as well as some ink and a pen for it.  "Might as well get something done while everyone are busy," he mumbled to himself, and slowly began writing something, his free hand covering the paper from those who would glance casually at it.
Drake Debonn
 player, 261 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Fri 1 Sep 2006
at 21:33
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake returns to the table to inform the others, still there, what he had learned from Radcliff.

"My would look into Constance. From my experience, the young have more to gain from such involvement. He could be looking for strong allies and quick power." Drake suggests and then looks around to see what the others think.
Denira
 player, 165 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 45/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Fri 1 Sep 2006
at 22:31
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"A necromancer, eh? Could explain the zombie I destroyed. I agree with Drake, we should look for Constance" Deniras mind was on other things so she kept it short and sweet.
DM Mike
 GM, 908 posts
 ...
Mon 4 Sep 2006
at 17:47
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Getting the group back together so we can move on.

Bethany and Amylarn talk and compare notes and then go back to the Crying Lady to meet up with the others in their group.

The party decides to look for Constance Ilithrane.  They easily find the location of the family's estate in the northern part of the town and head there for a look-see.

The look-see tells them that the estate is well-guarded and it would be difficult to get in without a good reason or an invitation.

The Ilithanes have four well-armed guards patrolling the grounds of the walled estate.  Two of them stand right inside the front gate while the other two walk the grounds.
Bethany
 player, 56 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Wed 6 Sep 2006
at 00:06
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
PM
Amylarn
 player, 63 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Wed 6 Sep 2006
at 15:19
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"


Amylarn considered the invitation that would be necessary to gain entrance to the Ilithrane estate. It would be easier to get Constance out instead. ”I wonder if the good lady Ilithrane has any interest in fashion. I am somewhat talented with a needle and fabric. Perhaps I know someone who could convince Constance Ilithrane to visit my master’s shop for a private fitting.” The master she referred to is the man she worked for who trained her in tailoring and dressmaking. Amy didn’t need to explain how vulnerable the necromancer would be in a situation where she was taking off her clothes. A plan was only just forming in Amylarn’s mind but it had great potential she thought. ”Or better still, we will not use my master’s shop but a false one. We might rent a small empty storefront and set it up as a dress shop for the sole purpose of luring her in and asking a few questions.” The blonde girl chose her words carefully. ”If it turns out that we must be...insistent that she answer the questions our names will be safe. Questions will not lead back to any of us when the job is over and the dress shop disappears.” The grin on Amy’s face told how thrilling this idea was to her. She looked to the others for their comments.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:25, Wed 06 Sept 2006.

Amylarn
 player, 64 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Wed 6 Sep 2006
at 17:27
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
A curious look comes over Amylarn's features after a moment. ”On second thought, that might prove to be too much trouble for one necromancer in training. Maybe it would be simpler to ask around and find someone who knows her personally.”
Drake Debonn
 player, 262 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Thu 7 Sep 2006
at 01:19
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake listens to the Amy's complicated plan and guesses that the girl's mind always works in this fashion.

I am not one for tricks. I am a little more straight forward in my approach, so others may have a better idea than mine. Drake pauses and continues "Of walking up and asking to talk to Constance. Since some of us, if not all might be recognized as the ones protecting the wagons."
DM Mike
 GM, 914 posts
 ...
Tue 12 Sep 2006
at 02:15
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The party hears the chime of a small bell and the two guards look through an opening in some shrubs on the estate.  One of the men goes to the back of the estate.  The other guard takes up a place near that open spot in the shrubs.

Amylarn and Drake are quick-witted and keen-eyed enough to glimpse what attracted the guard's attention: a tall blonde man in a royal blue cloak is waiting at the back gate, his hand still on the chain to the summoning bell.

The guard greets the man, and Drake can make out the name "Master Shark" in the greeting.  The man seems not to respond and is in a hurry to get into the estate.

A minute or so later the guard returns to his post, shrugging to the other one who stayed out front.
Drake Debonn
 player, 263 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Wed 13 Sep 2006
at 20:40
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake relays what he made out from the guards, but the name means little to him.

"It appears that there is more traffic from the rear of the residence. Would some of you like to make your way back there to see what you see?" Drake inquires and then tries to not make it look so obvious that he is here to stare at the estate.
Amylarn
 player, 65 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Thu 14 Sep 2006
at 17:01
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
After taking a moment to consider what she has seen, Amylarn points out, ”One of the Shark brothers have come ashore. That would make him a land shark I suppose.” She smirked at her own pun. ”Any guesses what his relationship is to the would-be-necromancer? Business or pleasure?” Drake’s idea sparks her imagination. ”Mayhap I can find out some information with a bit of a ruse. I might pose myself as a seamstress come to fit the lady for a gown. Of course the man at the door will stop me and explain that the Lady Constance is preoccupied. And I, being the friendly and charming young woman that I am, will persuade the man at the door to offer me the gossip on the lady of the house." Drake's earlier guess was correct; Amylarn's mind does generally work this way. "Who thinks we can make use of this idea?"
DM Mike
 GM, 915 posts
 ...
Sun 17 Sep 2006
at 01:26
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: I'm going to set things in "by the nose/fast forward" mode for a bit, so we can get moving in the region.  My fault for not having the time to get on until tonight, I know, but I don't want things to get totally stagnant.  Bear with me, all.

---------------------------------

It is agreed that Amylarn's idea was a good one - not too risky, and the benefit of finding out more information would be worth any risk.

She produces a bag that contains bits of hair, make-up, scraps of cloth, wax, and other items and as she hums to herself quietly, her face and form undergo subtle changes until finally before you stands a woman who looks a good 20 years older than Amylarn who has a bit of a hump on her back and greying brown hair, not the rich blonde hair of the young rogue.

She winks and heads for the back gate.

You hear the soft ringing of the bell and the guard who answered the gate for the Shark brother goes to answer it now.

You can spy through the shrubs that he shrugs and indicates for Amylarn to wait.  He closes the gate, leaving her on the outside, and goes into the house.

He returns a few minutes later with a cloth sack and he plops it down into Amylarn's arms unceremoniously.

Amylarn comes back with the sack.

The man told her that Miss Ilithane expects the closes to be darned and washed by mid-week.

So much for intelligence gathering!

------------------------------------------------------

About 10 minutes later, the guards hail a cab and a small two-seater pulled by a young mare pulls up at the back gate.  The man in the blue cloak gets in and as he does, you spy him looking up to a second-story window.  He gives a nod the window and has a somewhat whistful look on his handsome face.  Then the wagon pulls away.

It's "follow that cab" time, and you hire a large cab of you own and follow the two-seater down into the docks to a rough section.

The driver says "Ah, the fishmonger, gutter, and rending district!  Highlight of anyone's day".

You get out and see the three large buildings on the block, "Aris Fish" "Filets and Other Cuts" and an unmarked building that has a painting of a giant shark over its door.  The jaws of a huge shark are mounted inside the painting of the shark.

The Shark brother went into...the building with the shark on it.

And from the smell of the smoke coming from the building you can tell it is a rending plant.  No doubt there is a gruesome sight somewhere in that building, for a render often does slaughtering in a town of this size.

The building has a brick and mortar first floor and a wood second floor.  Some windows are shuttered and closed, but a few, mostly on the second floor, are wide open.

It is now about 5pm and the sun is setting.

What do you do?

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:41, Sun 17 Sept 2006.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 30 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Wed 20 Sep 2006
at 16:22
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"So... want to check out this shark-place?" Elodeir suggested, and shrugged, ready to follow the others if they were to go anywhere.
Amylarn
 player, 67 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Thu 21 Sep 2006
at 17:27
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn reminds herself that their objective is to find out what the necromancer Constance and her black crow were doing at the funeral. What specifically, aside from making a tragic mess of the whole thing. “I would wager none of you know anything about this rendering business yes? No? I know nothing myself but we ought find out. I cannot say if mister Shark was involved in the problems at the funeral but he gives me a bad feeling.” As usual, the roguish blonde looks around for a way to find out what she wants to know without a direct confrontation. Or at least under some guise other than her own. "Who thinks they can get up to those second floor windows in a quiet manner?"


OOC: DM, what can we see without getting too close? Is it busy?

PCs, Does anyone think we should just break the door down with blades swinging and threaten everyone if they don’t tell us what’s going on in there?


========================================

FROM DM:

OOC: What you see as described above is seen from the street.  You really can't get much closer without going right next to or into the building.

The street around the buildings here is not crowded in any way, but there are people here and there who go about their way.  You draw no real attention from any of them.  None of them go into the Shark Rendering House.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:56, Tue 26 Sept 2006.

Drake Debonn
 player, 265 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Sun 24 Sep 2006
at 23:07
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake listens to Amylarn's suggestion and feels a need to do something.
"I am willing to go through the front door, but it would be great if we had some advantage of surprise.  Like Amy has asked, maybe a couple of you might be able to sneak in.  You could provide support if needed, or look around, while the others inside are preoccupied with myself and whoever else would like to join me"

Drake is sure he can defend himself if needed, but may not have to
"I can inquire to see if someone might need a hired sword."
Amylarn
 player, 69 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 25 Sep 2006
at 19:58
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
”Hiding and sneaking might be a option. I could probably never climb to that second story without a ladder. But I have done a bit more than my fair share of moving about unnoticed.” The possibility of breaking into the warehouse, especially by herself, doesn’t thrill the talkative blonde. ”Although if we plan to go in though the front door I must say I myself would feel more comfortable with a bit of interception and misdirection. Find ourselves some reason to actually be there in case someone decides to ask what we’re about.” Amylarn looks to the others for input. Whatever they decide to do she doesn’t want to go it alone and she can’t very well force the others to follow her ideas. ”Come now, speak up then. I easily admit I am but a simple tailor’s assistant. Who has a better thought than mine?
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 31 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Mon 25 Sep 2006
at 20:06
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"I'm afraid I'm no good at hiding, sneaking, or climbing - I am but a lowly sorcerer, and most of my magics seems to be battle-magics, and other than that, my only skills worth noticing are my trusty crossbow and my talent as a poet - neither of those are likely to help us here, I reckon.  Well, and I run pretty fast, too, I guess.  Still, that won't help us either, will it?" Elodeir said, and shrugged - his strengths were limited, very much so, he admitted as much.
DM Mike
 GM, 920 posts
 ...
Tue 26 Sep 2006
at 02:03
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Reply in Amylarn's first post after mine above.

====================================

The front door of the rendering house opens and a handsome and slender man with bright blue eyes and long blonde hair comes out, wrapping an expensive-looking red cape about him.  He sees you and bows.

Well met.  Are you awaiting an order or simply lost down here in the docks?

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:04, Tue 26 Sept 2006.

Denira
 player, 167 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 45/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Tue 26 Sep 2006
at 15:49
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Denira is glad for her mask as she screws up her face. What was a rendering house and why did it smell so bad? It was like a butchers, only much stronger smelling.
Drake Debonn
 player, 267 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Fri 29 Sep 2006
at 15:25
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake steps forward and separates himself from the others, "I was told at one of the inns that this is a good place to come, if one needed some work" and Drake casually, but obviously moves his hand down to his sword and gives it a tap.

Drake inwardly kicks himself. He hates it when he is put in this kind of quick thicking situation, because his heart usually overrides his head.  Hopefully he will get inside and the others will either join him or he will be able to provide some distraction as they gather any information they may need


OOC:
Sorry for not settling on a plan in OOC. I don't normally like to plan outside the game, what a group should do.  It takes a little away from the game for me

DM Mike
 GM, 922 posts
 ...
Sun 1 Oct 2006
at 22:32
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The handome man shakes his head.

My brothers and I run the place.  I mean, if you want to sweep out some of the sluice, sure.  But we normally get a rummy in here, and all he wants is a bottle of rotgut.

If you have some hides you want to sell, or something a bit more exotic than rothe to sell us, we're interested.  But work itself...?  No, not us.


He smiles, bows a bit, then makes ready to head up the street.  He turns again and smiles.  Weren't you the ones at the graveyard trying to protect the body of that Silent Slayer fellow?  You, the caster from the east.  You were the only one there with such garb, such a mast on...

His smile freezes, but does not leave his face.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:45, Mon 02 Oct 2006.

Amylarn
 player, 74 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 3 Oct 2006
at 02:42
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn has come to realize that she is probably better spoken than the rest of this group and so she speaks up for them. "Right you are good-sir. And a fine eye you have to take such notice." The man recognized them so there was hardly a need for Amy to be subtle. "These brave souls put their lives on the line for the protection of this good city and its citizens, such as yourself. Only the interference of evil magic prevented them from their assigned task. And so they have taken it upon themselves to seek out the source of that evil. Naturally they were concerned when your employer was seen in the company of a person under suspicion. Protecting the law-abiding citizens is as important as apprehending those who are not. We have come to ask his assistance in this matter and you would have our thanks if you will lead us to them" Amylarn works to convince the man of what a good thing he would be doing to help the heroes.


OOC: DM Mike, would this be a Diplomacy check or Intimidate?
DM Mike
 GM, 923 posts
 ...
Tue 3 Oct 2006
at 02:54
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: No roll is needed.  When a player (through her PC) says certain things that would automatically create some effect from an NPC, as has just happened, I go with it, sans rolls.

=================================

The smile disappears from the man's face and he draws five steps closer to the group, eyes darting to each of them, then settling on Amylarn.

I know not of what you speak, for it is folly.

We have no "employer".  We own this shop ourselves and run it ourselves.  I manage the business affairs and book-keeping myself.


His tone gets heavier, deeper.

If you mean to insult me, you have done so.

If you have something else to say beyond this foolishness, say it and begone.

We have many friends in the city's guard and at a signal from me, a force of them would be upon you in seconds should they think I, my brothers, or our business were in any danger.


=========================================

OOC: Okay, his mood went from so-so to nasty.

You may be able to adjust that with Diplomacy or alter the situation altogether with a good Bluff check.

Drake Debonn
 player, 268 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 3 Oct 2006
at 09:59
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake is sure that Amy has struck a nerve. The man feels threatened, but is bold enough to challenge a group of obvious adventurers that he may or may not know was hired by the city to do what they did.

Drake waits for Amy's response, or another's.  He has nothing to contribute, but stands ready to defend, though shows no sign of it, his hands away from his blade now.
DM Mike
 GM, 925 posts
 ...
Wed 4 Oct 2006
at 03:34
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The man looks grimly at you all, his eyes darting from masked Denira to Amylarn mainly.
Amylarn
 player, 75 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Thu 5 Oct 2006
at 17:43
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The friendly smile on Amy's face never waivers nor did her optimism. She chose her words carefully to color her speech in a positive light. "I have no intent to insult you good-sir. A fine citizen with a solid business does not deserve that sort of treatment." The girl doesn't even pause to take a breath. "You have friends in the city's guard? That is most excellent. These heroes with me have friends in the city guard as well. Perhaps a mutual friend. It is good that you can call them to your aid in case the evil I spoke of ever wishes to do you harm. Though I tell you true these men and women with me are seeking the protection of this entire city by seeking out those criminals and being rid of them. And that, as I mentioned, is the reason for our visit today. Would you kindly show us where to find Durken Shark? We are in hopes that he may help us in this cause with a little information, for the safety of the city and its people of course."
DM Mike
 GM, 926 posts
 ...
Sat 7 Oct 2006
at 21:04
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The blonde man smirks.

Well, friends one night may not be friends the next, you know?  Maybe we have mutual friends, maybe not.

And Durken is my older brother.  I'm not his keeper.  I know not where he is, except that he is not here.

And where you'd get the idea that he'd know about this "crime" you're talking about is beyond me.

So far as I know, the killer was to be buried, there was a commotion at the graveyard, and the body went "poof", gone under your noses.

Now what my brother would have to do with that, I can't say.  He was here rending an ox.  Farmer Shmalz brought it is yesterday, got some coin for it, and we're rending it for meat, fur, and bone gruel.  Takes a better part of a day to do an ox, and Durken, fast as he is, can only do so much himself.


The man nods his good-bye and makes his way up the street, turning the corner toward the town.
Amylarn
 player, 76 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 9 Oct 2006
at 15:31
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
After watching the Shark head toward the city center, Amylarn turned to her companions. ”Heees lyyyiiinnng.” She made the statement in a sing-song voice and chuckled to herself. ”Why do they do that? Why do they lie? We saw Durken Shark go into that building just a little bit ago.” Casting a glance back toward the town center she asked them, ”Should one of us follow him? Or shall we all stick with Durken? Night is falling and making our way into the rendering building to poke around will be much easier. But if one of us wishes to follow the other brother into town we had best be quick about it.” Once again, Amy doesn’t assume she knows what the others wish to do. She still feels like something of a tag-along at the moment.
Drake Debonn
 player, 269 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 10 Oct 2006
at 17:42
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"I would be in favor of going in. If we are going to make some enemies, why wait." Drake says.  He is not looking completely for a conflict, but if he is going to be involved, he personally needs to find out something of substance.

"We do know people of power in this town, so hopefully the corruption does not run too high" Drake adds, thinking of what might cascade from tonight's meeting.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 34 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Tue 10 Oct 2006
at 19:26
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir watched the exchange in silence, not able to improvise anything just yet, and so he merely watched, and waited. . .

"I agree - we might as well go in," he added in agreement to Drake's suggestion - at least if they did make enemies, he might be useful, he thought, and grinned.
DM Mike
 GM, 929 posts
 ...
Thu 12 Oct 2006
at 03:22
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: I'll wait a day or so to see if other PCs/Players post.  If not, I'll move on as the team sneaks into the rendering plant.
Denira
 player, 168 posts
 Init: -1, AC 20/20/9
 hp: 45/48 Svs F:7/R:1/W:8
Thu 12 Oct 2006
at 11:40
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"I do hope none of you expect me to sneak effectively. This armour may protect me from harm, but it is not the quietest thing to move around in."

Denira is worried she might jeopardize the mission if stealth was required.
Drake Debonn
 player, 270 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Thu 12 Oct 2006
at 13:43
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
I am no worried about stealth at this point Drake ensures Denira and draws attention that he too is not built for it.
Amylarn
 player, 77 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Sat 14 Oct 2006
at 13:29
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
With a shrug and a nod, Amylarn accepts that the group will probably be making a show of force within the next hour. "Very well. It makes good sense to avoid attempting silence when one's wardrobe itself acts against such actions. As I say I have done my fair share of sneaking about and perhaps a little more but I will not admit to being any such an expert as perhaps a cat might be. So let us wait until nightfall at least whereby there are fewer people about to hear our unsilent entrance and let us pray that the brothers Shark do not keep their friends in the city guard close by." When the sun disappears below the horizon Amylarn moves toward the building, keeping herself behind Drake and Denira. As usual, Amy's eyes look all about both to see who is around and to try and spot other dangers as well as possible escape routes in case their endeavor goes terribly wrong.


OOC: How long will waiting until sunset delay us? Do any of the PCs want to not wait?
DM Mike
 GM, 932 posts
 ...
Tue 17 Oct 2006
at 00:43
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: It is about an hour to sunset, an hour and a half to total darkness.

So far as any of you know, the rending plant is open to the public.  It did not look like the man you spoke to locked the door.  He simply pulled it closed behind him.

In fact...


A fat man with a much-stained apron and roll-up sleeves moves past you on the wooden sidewalk with some grumbled " 'scuse me." and odd looks, especially at maked Denira.

He knockes hard twice on the front door of the rending plant and enters. closing the door behind him.  As the door closes you heard him call out loudly Durken?  Marl?  Any you guys here?

There is an answer from deeper inside the building, but you can not make out any words.

Braving yourselves, you follow the fat man's lead, but instead of knocking on the door, you simply open it as softly as you can, making very little noise as you do so.

You see the fat man is talking to a stout blonde man with thinning hair who wears a leather apron and blood-soaked gloves.  He has a green vest on under the apron.

Tomorrow's fine, Marl, but I need some sort of meat for tonight.  Hear a bard might stop in, and if so, maybe he'll want something a bit more than turnip soup and chicken.

The stocky man nods and leaves for a minute, coming back with a slab of meat that has seen better days.

On the house.  For services rendered, goodman Gart.

The man bows low like at court and the fat man bows, too.  When they both rise they laugh a bit at their jest.

Hell, the coin paid after the mess at the cemetery was nice enough.  I appreciate this...whatever it is.

Lamb, I think.  Wouldn't serve it to your little ones, mind you.

Hell, I wouldn't let them eat nothin' from my place!  Let their momma do the cookin' for a reason, you know!

The men shake hands and the fat man turns to leave.

You do your best to duck out of sight, but both Gart (the fat man) and Marl (the Shark brother in the green vest and leather apron) see you.

Gart's mouth opens in surprise, but Marl is not surprised.

Can I help you folk?  We have some cuts of meat left over from a lamb that was never claimed and some ox that was left over.  Dried fish, too, but you can get them almost anywhere around town.  But ours has some good smoke added for flavor that others don't use.

Gart says Well, I've gotta get this back in time for supper.  See ya, Marl.

He siddles past you and leaves the sloppy store.

Hooks for meat line the walls, and you see the fish in barrels as well as slabs of dried meats that Marl did not offer you for sale.

There are also hides all over the places, most in good condition, but one that is orange/yellow with odd black stripes on the wall is in ratty shape.  It looks big enough to be from a heavy war horse.

===================================

OOC: Post away.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:57, Tue 17 Oct 2006.

Amylarn
 player, 78 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Thu 19 Oct 2006
at 17:50
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
This concept of working as part of a team is causing all sorts of frustration to Amylarn who has been functioning on her own for awhile now. By herself the roguish blonde could come up with a dozen ways to explain her presence in a situation like this. Even explain herself and one or two other people. But this group of five is much more difficult. And Denira’s mask doesn’t make it any easier. Amy hesitates while she formulates a reply that won’t cause an outright attack on her new friends. The silence grows as no one responds right away.

They know this man is Marl Shark. They know Durken came in here not too long ago and the third Shark brother left for town. Amy’s chat just outside the building had made no accusations and in fact she tried to give the man the chance to say he could never be involved in any evil. Instead the man went on the defensive and claimed to be insulted. She decided to try a different approach this time.

”Marl Shark, the meat we seek is live, not dead.” Her smile and tone and taken a grim turn and she held her face partly away from the light to cast her features in unusual shadows. ”Your friends in the City Guard said we should find you here. They said you will have plenty tell us.” The terse short statements are much different than the long speeches her companions have seen up to now. She may be slight in stature but this voice is meant to carry the weight and influence of someone with a great deal of power at their disposal. It would be interesting to see how Marl would interpret her statement.

Amylarn made a mental note to keep her disguises on more often. Lately she has had less chance to prepare them ahead of time. She also decided to ask the others if she could do her information gathering activities with fewer people.
Drake Debonn
 player, 271 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Fri 20 Oct 2006
at 10:26
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake was hoping Amy would talk first. There is no doubt that she has a better chance of persuading another than he does......if it has to be done by words.

Drake also likes the tone and direction she takes in her efforts. There is no need to pretend that these men are innocent.  They are hiding something.  The fighter looks around, noticing that even if they appear alone, they may not be and that there is also a chance that the man who just left may be on his way to get some backup.

At Amy's words, Drake stands up a little straighter and posisions himself in such a way he can see as much as possible. His eyes stare at the man infront of him, but then carefully dart around the room, trying to see behind all the hanging meat in the room.
DM Mike
 GM, 933 posts
 ...
Sun 22 Oct 2006
at 19:00
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"


Marl smiles oddly at Amylarn, then eyes the rest of you.

Not sure which guild you mean, missy, since I don't belong to any myself.

Not sure what you mean by your statement, either, so if you want to drop the riddles and speak plain, I think we can understand each other better.

Otherwise be off, eh?  I have to catch up on some work that's gotta get done, and I'm the only one here tonight.


-----------------------------------

OOC: Investigation/RPing may run slowly, and for that I apologize. It IS a vital part of the game, though, and you are making good headway, I assure you.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:02, Sun 22 Oct 2006.

Amylarn
 player, 79 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 23 Oct 2006
at 18:45
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
”You do not hear so well do you? I said you have friends in the City Guard not guild.” Amylarn went on in the same commanding tone but added a sharper edge to the words. ”Drake, Bethany, please help mister Shark’s hearing. Open one of his ears so he can answer our questions.” The girl picked out the two in the group that seemed most capable of physically handling Marl. She just hoped they would take her meaning and play along. Amy knows it’s not her place to give orders but if she is going to be the one doing the talking then Marl must believe the blonde has the authority to carry out her thinly veiled threats.

As Drake passed by she whispered, ”Cut off his ear of you have to make a point.” If Drake managed to catch her eye as he passed he would see how serious she is.

”Come now Marl. Tell us something interesting about the events of the day. Certainly a well connected businessman like yourself knows plenty of interesting things.” Amy was still against asking any specific questions yet. She wanted to get him talking on his own if she could.

==================================

FROM DM:

OOC: I misread the word "guard" for some reason.  I need trifogles, I guess!

Marl says pretty much this:

I know several of the fella on the guard, myself.  We go out drinkin' sometimes.  Do you know Kylun or Torres?  Nice blokes, they are.

He seems unimpressed by your supposed "connections" with the guards.

Let's say Amylarn says pretty much the same as in the post above.

We'll pick it up with the last paragraph about his having connections in business.


.....................

The stocky blonde man sniffs and rubs the back ofhis hand across his nose, looking at whatever he has trailed on his hand as he speaks.

Look, miss, if you want to talk business, best talk to Durken or Silrus, who just left a few minutes ago.  They do the books, keep the ledgers, make the sales.  Me and my younger brother Padwin, we just cut the meat, tan the hides, haul stuff, clean.  Manual labor, you know?

You want to talk about what happened out there at that graveyard?  Magic, pure and simple, from the sound of things.

I wasn't up there.  Paddy and me had to cleant he place up and make some room for a delivery that never came.  Silrus and Durken were out there, I think.  Durken said somethin' 'bout having to be there for some reason...taking a girl out to see the who affiar, maybe?  He's quite the ladies' man.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:05, Mon 30 Oct 2006.

Drake Debonn
 player, 272 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Mon 23 Oct 2006
at 19:13
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
It appears that Amylarn has a little mean streak in her. Drake does not mind. He has no objections to how she is handling the situation.  It is obvious that the Sharks are hiding something and they are quite smug about it.  Drake has no soft spot for such people.  He passes Amylarn on the way to make good her "orders" and catches her words to him and smiles.

Drake choses to be slightly more dramatic with his choice of rendering tool, and instead of his usual lightning-quick weapon draw he slowing reaches to his belt and pulls out a well-hidden punching dagger with his left hand.  Drake holds it up to the light. He rarely uses it, but keeps it very sharp and well maintained.

He makes his way to Mr.Shark, as instructed, still very cautious of both, Marl and the surroundings.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 35 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Mon 23 Oct 2006
at 19:32
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
As Drake advanced on the Shark, Elodeir did his part by placing one hand on his wand fastened at his belt, ready to draw it at a moment's notice.  He would, of course, prefer handling this in a non-violent solution, but he wasn't opposed to beating some answers out of these men, either. . .
DM Mike
 GM, 935 posts
 ...
Mon 30 Oct 2006
at 04:14
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
See Amylarn's post for a reply from the Shark brother.

----------------------

Big Marl Shark takes a step back, fear and surprise running across his ruddy face.

Look, if you want to tumble the place, you'll not find a lot.  Durken takes most of the money with him in the morning, then again at night.  He holds it safe in a few places.  He was by before and took most of what we have.

You want the 10 gold he left, take it.


Pressing him for more information, using shows of force and skill, the man swallows hard and continues to step back into the sloppy rendering plant.

When he passes a cupboard, his right hand flashes up, then out.  In it is a nasty-looking knife used in stripping flesh from hides.  It is not the best weapon, but in a pinch, it will do.

Look, I told you what I know, okay?

You think there's shady dealings going on, that'd be Silrus or Durken's affiar, not mine or Paddy's.  We pretty much do the grunt work here, that's all.  They're our older brothers, and they pay us good for what we do here.  Without them,, we'd have no place to stay, no jobs...

I won't betray them, no matter what mess they may have gotten themselves into.

I will tell you this: Durken's been spending less and less time here and more and more time with that witch of his, Constance Ilithrane.  She was in here 'til late the night before the funeral of that killer, drawing things on the walls and moving things about.  And Durken...he just followed her back and forth like a puppy dog.

Bah!  Anyone's done something wrong, it's that _itch!

He...He ain't been the same since they got cozy a month or so back.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:19, Mon 30 Oct 2006.

DM Mike
 GM, 936 posts
 ...
Mon 30 Oct 2006
at 04:18
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

To move things along a bit, we'll say that a mix of intimidation and guile makes Marl listen to your reasoning and you request to see the area where Constance Ilithrane drew on the walls and moved things about before the funeral was to be held.


===========================

Marl looks forlorn as he leads you down a set of sturdy wood stairs to a basement somewhat larger than the building above it.

Grates in the floor let sluice and waste run out into the sea and racks of blades and sides of meat hang from the damp walls.

There is a long table in the middle of the room and you can see that other smaller tables and some chairs have been pushed to the sides of the room.

Written in what looks like chalk and bone ash are magical symbols that Elodier recognize to be necromantic in nature.  The elf looks at them closely and a shiver runs down his spine.

He realizes that these writings - one on each wall - comprise a series of spells which will rise the dead to a state of powerful undeath.  Thw mad writings serve like spell scrolls and they are imbued with magical energy!

Paddy and I were told by Durken and Cnstance not to come down here, not to touch nothing...let the place be.

We had to do work, but we were told to keep it upstairs, not down here where a lot of work normally gets done.  The sloppier work, you know?

Now please...go.  Don't let me get found with you down here.  Paddy'll be back soon with supper and if he finds me here with you, he'll tattle.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:26, Mon 30 Oct 2006.

Amylarn
 player, 80 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 30 Oct 2006
at 05:09
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Once Marl starts talking Amylarn nods in a satisfied way that their effort is finally producing some results. She listens carefully and critically, searching his face and his tone for any hint of deception. If there was any lying going on here, she wanted to be the only one doing it.

05:06, Today: Amylarn rolled 29 using 1d20+9. Sense Motive on Marl.

==================================

FROM DM:

Amy realizes that Marl is a few things at once:

1.) none-too-bright

2.) getting a bit frustrated with the PCs and their questioning and perhaps their very presence here

3.) telling them what he knows.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:23, Mon 06 Nov 2006.

Drake Debonn
 player, 273 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Thu 2 Nov 2006
at 21:03
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
It looks like its Durken we want, Drake guesses from the conversation.  The group needs Marl to keep his mouth shut to this brothers about the group's inquirery.  Maybe Amy will be able to convince Marl it is against his best interests to become conspiritors with his older brothers.
DM Mike
 GM, 944 posts
 ...
Mon 6 Nov 2006
at 04:29
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
See Amylarn's post for a reply.

Marl shrugs and gestures toward town with his head.

If he ain't here, he's with that spooky dame of his.  Or drinking in The Blue Drake, his favorite bar.  Not that nice a place, but he likes it, for some reason.

Amylarn knows that The Blue Drake is known for three things:  Being rough, having women for hire who frequent it, and being a gambling den.

She also knows its location, not too far from where you are now.

==========================================

OC:

As I see it, you have two choices at this point:  Force your way into the rending plant and search it, or go to The Blue Drake.

I can't decide for you, and I hope all players will come on and help decide your course of action.

I will try to get on at least by Wed. to move on in the direction most votes indicate.

XPs have been posted for this month.

Amylarn
 player, 81 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 6 Nov 2006
at 20:23
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
When she realizes that Marl is being on the level with them she softens a little. ”Thank you for your help mister Shark.” Amylarn takes a moment to pull a gold coin from her pocket and tosses it to Marl where it is easy to catch. ”Let me give you some advice Marl: Be wary of Durken’s “spooky dame”. In fact be wary of Durken. He may be your brother but that doesn’t mean he has your best interests in mind.” She turned back toward the stairs to go. ”I  see no purpose to tearing apart your establishment to see what else Durken may be hiding.” Amy had stated her opinion. Of course if anyone else had other ideas or some reason they should continue the search they would speak up.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 36 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Mon 6 Nov 2006
at 20:34
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir watched Amylarn carefully, and let out a sigh of relief as he realized that it would not come to battle there.  Slowly, his hand moved away from his wand, and he visibly relaxed.  "Indeed," he added in agreement, and looked around the street for a brief moment. . .  "I think I'm getting a bit thirsty, though - how about we go have ourselves a drink, now?" he suggested, hoping the others would realize what he really meant - checking out the bar that Durken frequented. . .
Drake Debonn
 player, 274 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Mon 6 Nov 2006
at 20:58
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake slides his blade away, that was still in his hand and joins the others.  It is good to see they have all come to the same conclusion as he has.  Marl is not a threat, but his brother is.

So Drake adds some more advice before exiting. "Durken would not like what you told us, but we are grateful. It would be wise to remember that. If you have any more to share, find Radcliffe, the Bard, he will get us the message." With that Drake smiles sincerely. He does not want to see an innocent be harmed, if there is no need.

Catching Elodeir's inuendo, Drake nods in agreement.
DM Mike
 GM, 948 posts
 ...
Tue 7 Nov 2006
at 02:27
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Good work, all!  XPs for RPing and investigation in this encounter will be added soon!

===========================

Amylarn leads the way down the docks and then up a sharp hill.  Atop the hill, separated from a home on one side and a dry goods shop on the other by a low stone wall, sits The Blue Drake.

Loud cheers can be heard from within and the smell of a dozen different types of sweat and pipe smoke fills the air outside the rough tavern.

A sign, well-faded from the salt air and sun, announces the name of the tavern and has a blue dragon resting atop a hill of coins, a smile on its face.

The doors to the tavern burst open and a fat dwarf stumbles out, drunker than he is hairy - and that is saying a lot.

He squints up to look at the party, stopping on Elodeir.

...urrrp...  Hey elf, you ain't seen...seen a green leather....leather pouch, have ya?  A r'ward's offer'd if...ya...did...

He stumbles a bit, then bangs his head on the side of a cart parked near the tavern's door.  He starts to snore loudly but Amylarn is surprised not so much by his loud snoring and how drunk he is, but by the oozing blood comiing out from under his shirt and leather vest.

Carefully lifting the shirt tail to look, she sees a wound made by a dagger's tip.  A yellow liquid can be seen around part of the wound.

Poison!
DM Mike
 GM, 949 posts
 ...
Tue 7 Nov 2006
at 02:32
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:  PS: Poison use is illegal in Iliptur except to kill vermin.  Dwarves are not considered vermin.

Now, "illegal" in a rough and tumble port like this is sort of like "fair" in the first World Series game this year where the pitcher used pine tar to help hold the ball...

If you don't squawk about it, and loudly, no one will pay attention.  And sometimes when you DO squawk, no one important really bothers to care.

Amylarn
 player, 83 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/13/12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 7 Nov 2006
at 16:31
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Lifting the shirt a little more to show the others Amylarn says the words out loud to ensure there is no mistaking the gravity of the situation. ”I remember now why I decided not to stop in the last time I came this way. This man has been stabbed by a poisoned blade. And given his intoxicated state I wonder what he could have done to earn such a mark. He did not seem to be any sort of threat to anyone except himself. Maybe he is, or was, important enough for someone to want him dead.” Amy briefly studied the dwarf’s face to see he looked familiar as well as checking his person for anything to identify him. ”No doubt someone will want to know what has happened to him.”


11:24, Today: Amylarn rolled 8 using 1d20+7. Search the dwarf.
OOC: Botched roll! Apparently Amylarn suddenly goes blind and can’t even find the dwarf. DM Mike, can I try again and maybe Take 10 the next time?


=====================================

FROM DM:

Amylarn realizes soon that someone already "tumbled" the dwarf.  He has nothing of worth in his pockets or on his person.  She has never seen this dwarf before, and for all purposes, he looks a bit "normal" for a dwarf living in a human city.

=====================================

Once she has finished trying to identify the dwarf the girl turns to the rest of them. ”You can see this is not a nice place.” The roguish girl did not even entertain the idea of not going in. ”Once we get inside I doubt I will be able to talk our way out of any trouble we find. I will try of course but the blades they carry here are faster than my tongue. I might be able to slow them down a little bit with a more distracting look. Give me just a moment will you?”

Amylarn gave the group a wink and pulled her pack off her shoulders. She went around the other side of the cart. ”No peeking,” she called out. Apparently she went to put on another disguise.


====================================

PM from the DM:

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:24, Mon 13 Nov 2006.

Drake Debonn
 player, 275 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 7 Nov 2006
at 17:45
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake looks down, indifferent to the poisoning of the dwarf.  If you are going to poison someone, it's not a dwarf that you would want to do it to.  Even intoxicated, the fellow will probably shake off any ill-effects the poison may add, when he awakes.

The situation of the dwarf also does not change Drake's mind to go get a drink. He has dealt with all kinds of people, assassin to saint.  He lets Amylarn finish her change and awaits to see if any of the others are troubled by  the dwarf.
DM Mike
 GM, 957 posts
 ...
Mon 13 Nov 2006
at 04:34
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Since they have not posted, I guess they are not bothered about the poisoning.

Replies in Amylarn's post above.

And I will move along with the encounter, hoping you will forgive me for leading this by the nose, but I can only get on and post once or twice a week now, so each post has to really move the game forward.


========================

Amylarn comes out from behind the wagon and looks...much different.

It is hard to believe that this young woman, who you first met as an old woman, is now the same woman who is now the woman of ill repute that stands before you.

Three big men, one with almost no clothes on, one with hardened learher armor on, and the third with what looks like scratches from a woman on his right cheek, come out of the tavern. Each is sweaty and smell of that sweat and the ale that has been drizzled down their necks.

The one with the scratches sees Amylarn and makes a protective sign over his chest.  Gods, not another one.  Alla them's in a bad mood t'day!

The one with armor on laughs but stops short as he sees the rest of the group standing near the poisoned dwarf.  He lowers his gaze and puts his hands on the hilts of his swords, but does not draw them.

And what be your business with that scum, people?  He sang the blues about losing all his coin?  Well tough!  He lost it to gambling fair and square!

Yup, just like I lost me vest, shirt, and pants in there! the other man chuckles, pointing to the bar with his thumb.

The one with poor gambling skills and a few scraps of clothes on sidles up to Amylarn and puts his meaty arm around her.

But that don't mean I don't got a few more coin ta spend tonight.  Got it hid good, I do.

=================================

Hope the other players post this week.

I will try to get on by at least mid-week.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 05:05, Tue 21 Nov 2006.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 37 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Mon 13 Nov 2006
at 10:05
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Now, this was, without a doubt, the Dragon Coast which Elodeir was born and raised on - a poisoned dwarf was given no thought at all, unless he happened to be wealthy (and then, he would have been robbed blind before Elodeir could have blinked an eye, he was sure).  He didn't like it very much, but it was home, and this was as far from his home in Westgate as he had ever gotten - probably as far as he ever would go, too. . .

As the barely clothed man laid an arm around Amylarn, Elodeir reached for his wand slowly, wanting to be ready - just in case anything would happen.
Amylarn
 player, 84 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 13 Nov 2006
at 16:37
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"

When Amylarn had come out from behind the cart none of her new friends would have recognized her, which of course was the point. She had teased her hair into sultry waves and <ahem> added some padding to her shirt. She put on too much makeup and draws in exotic curls on the corners of her eyes. The long skirt had been swapped out for a much shorter one. The addition of an air headed giggle completes the new look.

The way she looks and plans to act will definitely draw attention away from her friends. At least she hopes it will. It works almost at once as some rowdy men come out into the night. Clearly they see the heroes and they see that the party is armed but none of them make a move to fight. One comes right up to Amy where he would be easily cut down by Drake or Bethany.

The half naked one gets all friendly with the blonde girl and she gets all friendly right back. Amylarn puts both hands flat on his bare chest and rubs while watching his eyes. She ignores the smell. "Got it hid good huh? Weeelll now aah doubt you got 'nuff pockets left to hid the coin it'd take to spend on me." Amylarn winks in an obvious way at him. "You come back with fifty gold lions and we will talk s'more." By naming such a high price she hoped to douse the man's hopes without flaming his anger. But even if he moved to strike her, Amylarn knew she was in the company of heroes. She had seen them fight. She blew a kiss at the man and moved away from him heading for the tavern door.

Just a little away from going in the imitation hooker stopped to speak to the group. "This is my idea. You all find Durken or Constance and try to get them to go outside where we can ask them some questions...or tie 'em up if it comes to that. I will ask around if anyone knows what evil business they are about. If it looks like there is about to be a fight I will...make a distraction for you. Use it to take the advantage or to make an escape, whichever seems more successful. What say you all to this idea?" Amy really doesn't want to tell everyone what to do but she would sooner give the smelly drunk a romp in the hay than go into the Blue Drake without a plan. "If anyone has a better idea I am glad to hear it."
Drake Debonn
 player, 276 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 14 Nov 2006
at 20:06
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake wonders if he knows who the real Amylarn is.  When he thinks she is not disguised, she could be so.  He will begin to make a mental note of here costumes and personalities for future reference.

To Drake the armored man is hiding something, and from his actions, it has to do with the poisoning of the dwarf.  Not being a particularly lawful-type, Drake does not call him on it, but will try to remember him, as well, just in case they should run up against him while in town.  Drake, as usual, does not worry about the stranger's hand going to his hilt.  Very few in the land can draw their sword faster than he.

Drake would just like to go in and see if Durken is inside, but he walks slowly to ensure that Amylarn isn't accousted any further from the drunk. While passing he asks, in a friendly manner, "Durken Shark inside?".  It won't hurt to know before they enter, should these men even know.
DM Mike
 GM, 963 posts
 ...
Tue 21 Nov 2006
at 05:31
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The man snorts laughter until his face is red as Armylarn's price.

What, you want me to bring you some hair from Elminster's beard, too!  No offense hon, but I'd give you five in a shot, ten if I was more drunk than I am.  But no woman in Iliptur is worth 50 golds!

As Drake walks by and asks if Durken Shark is inside, the men respond "yes".  One goes so far as to say He's on a roll tonight, too.  Gamblin' drinkin', sayin' things were gonna be goin' his way for a while.  And it sure looks like Tymora kissed his blonde head, too.

Most I seen him smile in a long time.


The three set off for other pursuits, and you enter the rough bar, looking for Durken.

Denira decides to stay and minister to the dwarf, as she knows that her masked face will cause too much fuss and attention inside.


Thick smoke fills the room and for a minute your eyes are darkened, but when they adjust, you can make out several callgirls plying their trade (a few of whom give Amylarn sour looks), men throwing dice or flipping cards or tossing darts, and a tall half-orc with one eye serving drinks at the bar.

He nods as you enter, indicating he will take your order and your coin when you are ready.  In the meantime he goes to speak with a robed man at the far end of the bar.  The robed man has a hood over his head, so you can not make out any features.  He is big, though, bigger than the half-orc by at least a head.

Durken Shark is playing cards with a halfling woman with long red hair and bright green eyes and a thin and pale man with very little hair and a crooked nose.  He wears three thick gold rings on each hand and he has brass bracers with silver inlays in the form of skeletons on them.  It is clear that while he does not pay much for his clothing, he spends his money on jewlery, someo f it possibly magical.

Well Ardo, are you going to bet or fall asleep behind your cards? Durken teases.  The halfling lass giggles and the thin man sucks at his big teeth, ignoring the taunt.

After a solid minute he tosses in three gold coins and sits back.

The lass tosses in three coins and then follows with a platinum piece.  Ardo curses and thows down his cards.

Durken laughs and squints at the halfling.

Well, if I knew you were playing with your own money and not your father's, I'd figure you had any hand beat the way you tossed in that platinum.

So I think you're full of Otyugh spit.


He meets her bet and raises it by three more platinums.  He leans back on his chair and smiles, the cat catching the canary.

The woman shakes her head and shows her cards.  Three green dragons.

But Durken has better: three wands and two wizards.

She groans and starts to shuffle the cards.

Ardo counts his small pile of coins and grumbles in a reedy voice that the next game will be his last unless he wins something back from "The Shark".

Durken sees you looking at the game and waves.

Come join the fun. I may be called "The Shark", but I don't bite.

The halfling maiden hisses with laughter and says NOW who's full of otyugh spit!?

There are three free seats at the table.

Durken looks at Amylarn for a bit, but then pays attention to his large pile of coins.  He starts sectioning them off : golds in one pile, platinums in another, silvers in another.

There are no coppers on the table, and a few small gems are in Durken's pile, too. They have probably come from the halfling.  She has three small garnets in front of her along with some golds and silvers left.

============================

<green>OOC: Oh boy, a fantasy poker game!
Drake Debonn
 player, 277 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Wed 22 Nov 2006
at 03:08
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
After watching the last round of betting, Drake wonders if he has the funds to join such a game. He just got paid for the last job he did and was rather looking fond to eating.  But Durken is the reason they are here and he just invited Drake to sit next to him. This is the best chance to gain some information. Hopefully Durken does not recognize Drake as a guard from the funnel, especially since he might be drunk.

Drake nods in acceptance an sits down and keeps things light "I don't have that much to take." and he pulls out a stack of 40 gp.
DM Mike
 GM, 964 posts
 ...
Thu 23 Nov 2006
at 22:53
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Durken eyes the gold coins Drake sets on the table and grins.  You've got enough for at least a few hands of fun, sir.

The big man reaches over the table and offers a handshake.

Durken Shark, and you....?

OOC: Not to squash RPing, but I want to get the game going, so...

Introductions are made and those who wish to sit and gamble can do so.


OOC: There is room for any who want to join in.

The one-eyed half-orc at the ban points with his thumb over to the table, and a slender woman with tanned skin and raven black hair nods.

She goes to the table and asks if anyone wants a drink or food.

Durken orders another "Dark Amber" ale, and the halfling woman orders some more "fish fingers".

In front of her is a dish of crumbs and a single golden finger-shaped piece of fried fish.  She gulps it down and gives the serving girl the dish.  And bring more katsauce, too, Myrana.

The woman nods and looks to Drake for his order as the tall bald man shakes his head.

Licking the fingers on one hand and deftly dealing cards with the other hand, the halfling says Umm...what the hey, dragons are wild and can be any suit.  A gold is all it takes to join this game.

Durken groans and mutters Why not just make this a game for kiddies?

====================================

OOC: Whoever is in, take a gold off your PC's sheet and let me know you're gaming.  I'll deal your hands next!

And don't worry.  While some of my NPCs may well cheat, <b>I</i> don't!

I'll walk you though this if you need.


=====================================

As the cards are dealt, Amylarn notices that two men are eying her from either side of the room.  One is a burly man with dark hair and a long moustache and chisled features.  He wears clothing that reminds her more of a woodsman than a city dweller.

The other man is a thin fellow with baldling grey hair and a thin beard.  He wears simple garb and has ink stains on his right hand.  He sits at a table with scrolls and parchment and several ink pots on it.  A pen rests in one of the pots.

Several other rough-looking men are in the bar, but their attention seems to be on matters in front of them: games of chance or conversations between each other.

The only women in the bar are Amylarn, Myrana (the black-haired serving girl), and the halfling woman playing cards with the Shark brother.

OOC: We'll say Bethany is outside with Denira.

And soon both may be out of the region unless they post soon.

Posters who are even slower than I am...now THAT's bad!

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:06, Sun 26 Nov 2006.

Drake Debonn
 player, 278 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Fri 24 Nov 2006
at 01:20
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake tosses his gold on the table, I'm in

He waves away the serving girl, he has no money to waste
Amylarn
 player, 86 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Sat 25 Nov 2006
at 14:26
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:  Now that I know which of the party members I can count on for backup, I can make a decision on what to do.

Amylarn surveyed the room and people within. The eyes she felt on her were to be expected. The large figure in the dark robes was not terribly surprising. But what grabbed her attention and held her spellbound were the card game and the empty seat that was waiting for her. There was no way to know if the chair had been arranged by Tymora or Beshaba but Amy would take the seat either way. She knew she was about to abandon the plan she had made before walking into the Blue Drake but it couldn't be helped. Besides, with only Drake and Elodir around, if things got rough she would want to be close to them.

Playing cards capitalized on several of the blonde's favorite subjects and finest skills. Amylarn's foremost interest was learning secrets and each time a hand was dealt, every player at the table had a brand new secret for her to try and learn. Sure, they were small, short lived secrets but they could be quite profitable. And judging from the shiny valuables in play this game had the potential to be very profitable.

Remembering to stay in character, Amy giggles in a way to suggest that might be her most common method of communicating. "I gotta few coins. Got 'em from a trader from the ports I did. Says he was off back to meet some people in Arabull. Is this nuff to play?" Reaching into the coin purse hooked on her belt, she produced five platinum tricrowns and ten golden lions, all coins with the stamp of Cormyr on them. Seeing no one object, Amylarn took a seat and flipped her hair from in a flirtatious way. "So what game is this?"
DM Mike
 GM, 967 posts
 ...
Sun 26 Nov 2006
at 08:43
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Durken smiles and nods Oh, you have more than enough to play, my dear.

The halfling rolls her eyes and says Your eyes fall out of their sockets one more time and Constance will think you're a zombie and -

The gaunt man clears his throat loudly and gives the short lady a cross look.

She shrugs and looks around for the barmaid.

slow'n a snail in the snow...I could starve and they'd never know it over here...

===========================

OOC: I'm getting the game set up and should have it done for later on Sunday.  We'll play it in a seperate thread.  I'll let you know when to post there.
DM Mike
 GM, 970 posts
 ...
Sun 26 Nov 2006
at 09:11
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The poker game thread is set up.  Those in the game, take a gold off your sheet and post there once.

I will post for the NPCs.

As I read back over the game thread here, I see that some of what I posted is not really reflective of poker, but was done on the fly.

The REAL rules we will follow are in the poker game thread.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 38 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Sun 26 Nov 2006
at 10:31
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"Well. . .  I suppose I could give this a shot, then. . .  Never played before, but perhaps Tymora shines upon me tonight?" Elodeir said after a moment of contemplation - he didn't really have very much gold, certainly not compared to the Shark, and it truly was his first time playing this game.  Still, it seemed like fun, and maybe, just maybe he could earn some gold, as well?

With that, he took a seat, placed a golden coin in the ante, and placed fifty more on the table - almost everything he had.
Shaeria Moonshadow
 player, 3 posts
Sun 3 Dec 2006
at 05:53
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
A young elven woman walks into the Blue Dragon Tavern with a soft smile and a bag of jingling coins in her hand.  Spying the group playing cards she walked over to them and politely asked, "May I join once this hand is over?"

==================================

FROM DM:

Durken Shark, the burly blonde man who seems to practically lord over this small smokey tavern, smiles wide and pulls a chair over, moving a bit to give room at the table.

Sure.  If you count your coin fast enough, you can even get in on this hand.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:56, Sun 03 Dec 2006.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 41 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Sun 3 Dec 2006
at 05:57
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Placing a gold in the ante and fifty more on the table, Elodeir waited for cards to be dealt to him, whispering a silent prayer to Tymora for his cards to be high.
Drake Debonn
 player, 282 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Sun 3 Dec 2006
at 05:58
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake slids his his gold into the pot.  He has played cards many times and learned early from his father. Maybe he will be able to gain some of those gems for himself.

Nov 28  Drake sees he is up first, He taps the table, relinquishing the opportunity to lead the betting and passinging it to Amylarn to deside. ("checking" - if that is allowed)
Amylarn
 player, 91 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Sun 3 Dec 2006
at 05:59
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn made a show of looking around at everyone else to see what she should do. She knew very well how card games are run but had no intention of letting anyone, especially The Shark, know that. As each of the others had done she took a gold coin and lightly tossed it into the ante pile. "Oh! Lotsa money all around! This'll be fun." She flipped her hair back and grinned a broad grin at anyone who would meet her gaze. "Can I gitta card with a picher on it too?"

Not wanting to overstep her bounds with the group of strangers, Amylarn doesn't presume to answer Shaeria's question.

OOC: 08:37, Today: Amylarn rolled 8 using 1d20+7. Appraise gems on the table.
Okay, so obviously I'm SO in tune with my current disguise, I can't even think straight enough for a simple appraise check.

DM Mike: Do I need to roll a seperate appraise check for every gem or for each person's gems or what?


========================

FROM DM:

Durken raises his right eyebrow and smiles at Amylarn.  My!  What a pair!

The halfling lass smacks at her teeth and rolls her eyes, looking over the cards in her hand.

OOC: One check per person's gems, we'll aay.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 42 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Sun 3 Dec 2006
at 06:01
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"Of course you may, fair lady.  May Tymora shine upon you tonight," Elodeir answered the newcomer at the table, and offered her a smile before he received his cards.  "Ooh!  A pair!  Now, let's see if I've got any other sevens hidden under here, huh?" he said to no-one in particular, and took a look at his hidden cards.  "Hm...  Not bad at all," he mumbled, and grinned.


=====================

FROM DM:

Durken looks over at Elodeir's cards and nods.

Hate to say it, but your pair's got her's beat.
Nissa Hardwicke (NPC)
 NPC, 3 posts
Sun 3 Dec 2006
at 06:02
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Cramming another fish finger dipped in katsauce into her toothy mouth, the halfling with the cards looks around the table.

Wanna let the new gal in the hand, or get bettin' and playin'?
Shaeria Moonshadow
 player, 4 posts
Sun 3 Dec 2006
at 06:02
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Sitting gracefully, Shaeria smiles her thanks and replies, "I've got 50 here in my coin purse."  While waiting for cards she takes them out and sets them in even stacks on the table before her.
Nissa Hardwicke (NPC)
 NPC, 4 posts
Sun 3 Dec 2006
at 06:04
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The halfling smiles, flipping through her cards and looks around at you all one last time.

Okay boys and ghouls - h'yuk h'yuk - dragons are wild and can be any suit.  That'll make some of us here very happy and others....well...?

She shrugs and looks to Drake (who is sitting first to her left).

It's your turn, handsome.  Toss out a bet.
Amylarn
 player, 92 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Sun 3 Dec 2006
at 06:06
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Durken:
Durken looks over at Elodeir's cards and nods. "Hate to say it, but your pair's got her's beat."

Playing her part, Amylarn looks down at her chest and then over at Elodeir with a curious expression. Then, as if noticing the half-elf’s cards for the first time she giggles. ”OH! A pair a cards! Aah see. Sevens bettern twos right?” She leans down to put her eyes close to the surface of the table and then lifts the edge of her cards to see the ones that are face down. To any curious looks she explains, ”If I pick ‘em up somebody might see ‘em.” and then she leans down and checks the cards again as if to make sure they were still the same as a moment ago.


OOC: Are we able to make sense motive checks on EACH of the other players as they make their bets? Six sense motive checks in a row? Are we trying to sense whether or not the person is bluffing with their cards? Or are we trying to get a general sense of how good they think their hand is?
Ardo Surwin (NPC)
 NPC, 2 posts
Sun 3 Dec 2006
at 06:14
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The bet passed to him, Ardo purses his lips, looks at his cards, licks his thin lips, then throws a gold coin into the pot.

In for a pound...

It does not take much observation to tell that the thin man is not too pleased with his hand, but he at least thinks he has something in it worth sticking in the game for.

He looks over to Amylarn, awaiting her bet.

=============================

OOC: So others know you have edited your poker game post, please post action/reaction type posts here.
Amylarn
 player, 94 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Sun 3 Dec 2006
at 17:01
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The ditzy blonde checks her hidden cards still on the table once more and then fiddles with her hair for a moment while she thinks. "Hmmmkay. Aah'm gonna put in fer two okay? That'll be one fer his," Amylarn slides in one coin,  "and one more fer me to bet okay?" and then slides one more coin into the pot with a big grin.

OOC: 12/03/06 - Updated Poker Hand thread
Durken Shark (NPC)
 NPC, 2 posts
Sun 3 Dec 2006
at 22:17
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
With a slight shrug and a wide smile on his handsome face, Durken flips a gold coin onto the table's center.

OOC: Edit to his post in the poker thread.

Shaeria is next.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:23, Sun 03 Dec 2006.

DM Mike
 GM, 989 posts
 ...
Sun 17 Dec 2006
at 00:56
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

Huh?!?

The new PC, Shaeria has to place a bet next, not one of my NPCs.

Not sure why the game has stalled, since a player has to act.

Maybe she is not here to post?

I will send her a PM.

DM Mike
 GM, 991 posts
 ...
Tue 19 Dec 2006
at 03:40
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The newcomer folds, wishing to see a hand of the game played before joining in.

She smiles, and no one seems to take offense to her bowing out.

Durken nods to Elodier, indicating it is his turn to play.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 45 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Tue 19 Dec 2006
at 08:52
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"Two gold, is it?  Sure, I'll play," Elodeir said, and placed his coins in with the rest. . .
Drake Debonn
 player, 283 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Thu 21 Dec 2006
at 17:35
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: to keep things going
Drake tosses in his cards, not comfortable with them vs. the bet.
Ardo Surwin (NPC)
 NPC, 3 posts
Mon 25 Dec 2006
at 18:52
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: I think it would be good to post little RP type comments here, so we can keep the game "active".

<rd>'tis a smart man who knows when he has been beaten so he can come back anew to try again at another time.</red>
Nissa Hardwicke (NPC)
 NPC, 5 posts
Mon 25 Dec 2006
at 18:56
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The dealer folds and looks around the table at those still in the game.

Okay, who wants cards?
Ardo Surwin (NPC)
 NPC, 4 posts
Mon 25 Dec 2006
at 19:00
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Matter of fact, to move things along, EDIT over in the poker game thread, but also post your bets, etc. here.

The thin man looks at his cards once, then slides on face down to the dealer.

One should suffice.

Krissa nods and deals him one card.

As he picks it up, you can not tell if the card helped Ardo's hand or not.  The man's eyes are cold as snows on dead grass and his lips barely move, even when he speaks.
Nissa Hardwicke (NPC)
 NPC, 6 posts
Mon 25 Dec 2006
at 19:01
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Looking to Amylarn, the halfling chirps You're next, toots.

How many ya want?

Amylarn
 player, 99 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 26 Dec 2006
at 16:06
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
After checking her cards yet again, Amy pulls two of her hidden cards from her hand and slides them toward the halfling. ”Aah’ll take two please.” She goes back to fiddling with her hair.
Nissa Hardwicke (NPC)
 NPC, 7 posts
Wed 27 Dec 2006
at 03:09
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Two it is...

This message was last edited by the player at 03:12, Wed 27 Dec 2006.

Durken Shark (NPC)
 NPC, 4 posts
Thu 28 Dec 2006
at 04:49
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Durken Shark looks at his cards for only a second and slides one to Nissa,  She slides him a replacement card, and he smiles slightly as he adds it to his hand.

Ardo groans quietly.
Nissa Hardwicke (NPC)
 NPC, 8 posts
Thu 28 Dec 2006
at 04:51
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The halfling looks to Elodier and gives him a nod.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 48 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Fri 5 Jan 2007
at 14:28
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"Two cards, I think is all I need. . .," Elodeir mumbled after checking out his cards for a moment or three, before handing in two of his old ones.
DM Mike
 GM, 1001 posts
 ...
Sat 13 Jan 2007
at 15:38
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: See the OCC thread for am important message about the "poker game experiment".  I am very sorry it did not work out as I had hoped.  Maybe one day...

-------------------------------

You while away about an hour playing several hands of the card game.  Some thuggish-looking men stray near the table and watch the game.  No one seems to mind (despite their strong breath and stronger body odor) until one of them whispers loudly enough for some of you to hear that "Durken got his last name for his cheating at cards".

The blond man moves fast as lightning and rises from the table, grabs the man by his throat with his left hand and pulls a wicked dagger to the man's throat with his right one in a single fluid motion.

Oh, really?  I hear I got it for other reasons.  His smile is fierce and his grip is so hard the man's face turns red.

I...gahk...I meant nothin'...Dur...Durken....ahhk!

Ah, let 'im go, Mr. Shark.  Lodru's just drunk-talkin' is all...

Durken looks to the other roughs as they plead with him and runs his dagger acrss the man's throat lightly, without even looking at his work.  Blood trickles from the squirming man's light wound and Durken lets the man fall back onto a the next table.

The Shark borther looks with disdain at the man as the rough stumbles, gripping his neck.

Ah, that will heal in a day or so.  Let it remind you not to be so loose with your words, Lodru.

Durken sit at the table, picking up his cards with blood still on his hand.

Now, where were we?  Ah yes. Ardo waws about to show us his cards, weren't you?

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:39, Sat 13 Jan 2007.

Ardo Surwin (NPC)
 NPC, 5 posts
Sat 13 Jan 2007
at 15:43
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The thin and pale man turned a bit paler, but not from the sudden show of anger and violence.

Instead he looks to his dwindling pot, the cards in his hand, and then at Durken.

He spreads his cards out and it is clear Ardo was trying to win by having three 8's.  But at least one of you has a better hand than that, and Durken's never lost to so weak a hand once since you've joined the game.

I....I don't win, do I?

Durken laughs and shakes his head.

Licking his thin lips, Ardo slowly pushes his few remaining coins to the center of the table.

Well, there goes my monthly dues...
Durken Shark (NPC)
 NPC, 5 posts
Sat 13 Jan 2007
at 15:46
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
With cold eyes, the handsom Durken looks to Ardo.

You should have thought of that before you bet so high.  Now....

Durken shrugs and looks to Drake, who also loses this hand.

Well, Tymora is fickle, huh?

But she is not mean to the smart.  At least some of you will walk away with money this night.


He then turns to the thugs who are helping their friend up.

Or their lives...
Nissa Hardwicke (NPC)
 NPC, 9 posts
Sat 13 Jan 2007
at 15:52
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Hey, hey, the game ain't over yet, is it?

Kirssa shows her hand - 4 10's.

Durken shakes his head and lets out a low chuckle.

Beats my 4 6's, at least.

Anyone else?


No one has better than Krissa's hand, so all the coins in the last pot go to her.

She scoops them up and tosses two 5-gold trade coins to Ardo.

Here; pay your damn dues and make sure you pay me back before the next full moon, mageling.
Durken Shark (NPC)
 NPC, 6 posts
Sat 13 Jan 2007
at 15:55
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Once again Durnken's eyes go cold as a grave.  He smiles, but it is so forced is looks ugly.

He looks into Ardo's eyes but speaks to the rest of you.

It was grand to meet you all, and I hope we can play at cards again one night.

But leave us, please, for we have other affairs to speak of now.


Ardo tries to hand over the 2 large coins to Durnken, and the big blond man shakes his head hard once.  Ardo puts the coins down onto the table and steps away from them.

Durken waits for you to leave the table before speaking again.
Nissa Hardwicke (NPC)
 NPC, 10 posts
Sat 13 Jan 2007
at 16:07
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: I have to rush ahead to move things along in the story.  I know some of you would like to RP and get involved in some of this, but please bear with me as the game goes forward.

------------------------------

You move away from the game table and Krissa makes her way to the bar, stuffing her winnings into various pockets in her skirt and blouse, as few of them in not-so lady-like places.

She flips the bartender (now a tall human with one ear cut off and a nasty scar running down his right cheek) one of the gold coins she won in the last pot.

Hey, handsome.  This here'll take care of the three plates of fishfingers I ate and the drinks we had.

The man snorts and tells Kirssa she had five plates.  She shurgs and plunks down an additional two silvers.  Now give me something sweet to eat, and no jokes, okay?

The man scoops the coins up and puts them into a steel strongbox.  He gives her a plate of something brown and a wooden spoon.  Krissa gobbles it up and smiles wide.  Best batch since last time, good-lookin'!

Krissa notices you standing near the bar away from the table where Ardo and Durken are talking in hushed tones.

She motions you over and buys you drinks, tossing another coin to the ugly bartender.  He has to stoop to pick it up, and he winces as he bends down.

Look, don't let what Durken did to that fella and all bug you much.  He gets all worked up, you know, like a man will, and his haughty-taughty girlfried don't help him get over it, like a good woman should, if ya know what I mean.

The halfling winks to Amylarn and continues.

Ardo and him belong to some club or somethin'.  They tried to get me to join, but it's just too cobwebs and bones for my tastes.  Durken is some sorta big-wig in the club, and his lady-friend runs it, and Ardo is trying get go up in ranks with his spells and all that crap.

Too complicated, if you ask me.

Live simply, and you'll enjoy life more.

So, where you all hail from?  Ain't seen ya about before.

This message was lightly edited by the GM at 17:01, Sat 13 Jan 2007.

DM Mike
 GM, 1002 posts
 ...
Sat 13 Jan 2007
at 16:21
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
As one or more of you talk to Krissa, those who want to try to listen in on Durken and Ardo's conversation hear the following:

OOC: "Listen" checks are not needed: at least one of you made it and tell the others what you heard.

Ardo tries to give Durken the coins that Krissa left and at first the big man refuses to take them.  He tells Ardo that this is the second month in a row where he has had to borrow money to pay his monthly dues.

So what does it matter where I get the money, so long as I give it to you?  Besides, Constance has so much money she could keep the Order afloat herself for year!

Durken takes one of the coins and pushes it hard into Ardo's lips, gripping the thin man hard by the shoulder.

What she has is none of your concern "brother".  What she and I say IS of your concern.  And I say you are on your last rope with the Order.  If not for Krissa's help, you'd be on the block tonight, you know.  Keep that in mind as you stay in line.

Now come on and help get things ready.  We wasted enough time here.  I thought that blonde would be a bit of fun, but...


The tavern doors open and a pair of tall men in matching dark grey embroidered doublets over gleaming chainmail shirts enter.  One spots Durken and pokes his head out the doors.

Durken's eyes go wide.  oh no...

A slender woman with raven-black long hair and pale skin walks into the seedy dive.  Durken seems to shrink and even takes a step back as the woman's eyes find him.

Her long blood-red gown goes to the floor, making it seem like she glides across the floor.

Gods, but I wish you'd keep your baser instincts in check.

She looks to Ardo, who bows low, moving his hands in a fast and intricate weave.

At least one of you knows how to show me some respect.

Now come.  I have been to our meeting place, and am dismayed to see it is not ready.


I...I thought my brother would-

He did not.  Now you must.

With that, Ardo, Durken, and the imperial woman leave.  The two guards follow, taking up pace a few steps back.

Krissa shakes her head.  The "Princess" Constance Ilithrane herself!

Sheesh, he used to have a spine.

What that cold fish does for him, I'll never know.

At first he was into her just for her money, but now...


The halfling shrugs and orders another bowl of the pudding.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:27, Sat 13 Jan 2007.

DM Mike
 GM, 1003 posts
 ...
Sat 13 Jan 2007
at 16:33
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Constance Ilithrane:


Drake Debonn
 player, 286 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Thu 25 Jan 2007
at 21:52
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
When all are gone and the group is alone again Drake says the obvious, "Ardo, looks to be the weak link"

"Something else is in the plans." Drake also observed.

The search for some answers is running them all over the city, yet they know little more than Constance is probably funding whatever is going on here.
Amylarn
 player, 102 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Fri 26 Jan 2007
at 06:54
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
After the group had gotten alone again, it had taken less time for Amylarn to resume her normal appearance than it did to assume the part of the harlot. This fact bothered her little. It took the same amount of time to take off the disguise of the old lady or of a dirty street urchin. "I am all for sneaky searches and a dropping eaves. For that to work we will have to be more...aggressive. I say we find our way to that special "meeting place" of theirs and take a look-see. Mayhap we can convince Ardo to help us inside."
DM Mike
 GM, 1004 posts
 ...
Fri 26 Jan 2007
at 13:30
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Just to move things along a bit...

The group leaves a few moments after Constance, Durken, Ardo, and the two guards do.  It is not hard to spot them on the streets - it is rare for so large a group to travel together in the small city, it seems - something you may want to keep in mind for future forays.

They seem in a hurry, as their pace is fast and it never slows or falters.

They make their way back to the Shark Brother's shop and rending plant.

As they stop for Durken to open the door, the guards peer about, one of them almost spotting you.

You catch Constance's voice, but can not make out what she is saying.  Durken's response is loud and clear, though.

I'm sure Marl got things ready!  I have faith in my  brothers, even if you don't!

The sharp-eyed guard winces and looks around again, as if to see if anoyone was walking about in earshot.  Then the group heads into the rending plant.
You hear Durken call out for Marl and his other brothers as Ardo closes the door.
Bethany
 player, 61 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Mon 29 Jan 2007
at 01:40
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Doing her best to hide with the others in the shadows that are about she wispers to no one impaticular.  Should we take the guards out with something long range and silent?  I could use my bow if need be.  I am up for what you all think would be best right now.  Looking to the others almost as if wishing they would say yes, she fingers a few of the arrows in her quiver.
DM Mike
 GM, 1010 posts
 ...
Sat 3 Feb 2007
at 23:34
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
As you stand outside the Shark Brother's Rending Shop the sky grows dark, the moon rising up over the sea.

You hear a "psst" coming from down the street and a small old woman comes out of a doorway.

They's something bad goin' on in there, I tells ya.  I hear screams sometimes, and people come an' go at all hours.

You gets used to things livin' near a slaughterhouse an' such, of course, but of late...well...

I really think that Durken fella is behind it all, and his brothers, they answer to him, since he's oldest.

Them boys been no good since they been born.  They been bullies and roughs and such, but now...I really think something wrong is goin' on in there, and I don't mean they're sellin' three-quarters a pound of meat an' sayin' it's a pound, you know.  Somethin' worse...


The sound of people running can be heard, and the old woman gasps and hurries back to her home.

Two men run down the street and make for the rending shop.

Tymora's teats, Durken'll have our hides comin' so late!  If your wife handn't kept you...  A young man in dandy's clothes tries to open the door of the shop.

The other man, fat and bald, pants I told you to leave, Cal, but you were too chicken, and now look!  They went and locked the door!  We won't get in on the ceremony!

The door thrusts open and the two guards reach out and yank the two late-comers in.  As the door closes you hear one of the guards grumble Durken says there's still some more stragglers coming later...
Amylarn
 player, 105 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Sun 4 Feb 2007
at 11:07
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"Right then. Here we go." It sounded like Amylarn had another plan in mind and wanted everyone's opinion. "Sounds like the no-good brothers and the Princess Ilithrane have an open invitation for some more ne'er-do-wells. The guards say they expect stragglers and like it or not I say that is our best way in.

"We were all in there earlier, 'cept you Shaeria, so we know the layout of the place and we know where we might be going and we know who we are out to deal with and we know the best way to deal with 'em and we know..."
The blonde stopped to think for just a moment, but not long enough for anyone else to open their mouth. "Well I suppose 'tis all we know but still and all we are in good shape to stop their scream-inducing endeavors 'fore we see the dawn and usually I am all for being subtle and working from the safe shadows so swords and stabbings steer safely away from me but the illicit Ilithrane irritates and aggravates my ire implicit of her idiot assistants and individuals of ill-repute." Amy pulled a dagger from the folds of her skirt. "Lets go cut 'em down. Anyone have a better idea?"
Drake Debonn
 player, 287 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Mon 5 Feb 2007
at 03:59
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake has no better idea. Even though he questions force vs. stealth, he can not deny that he has been trained well and his sword is all he has to offer in occasions like these.

Drake makes last minute checks of his weapons and equipment, ensuring all is in order.  He does not draw his sword though, but seems ready to go and knods to the other, agreeing with Amy's plan.

A thought comes quickly to him "Let me go first, with no weapon drawn. As soon as the door is closed, then others knock." Drake's plan is not said with great confidence, his voice is soft and voice wavering. The fighter goes on to further explain his idea "This will allow me to be inside already and when the door is opened again, It will place me on the other side of them, giving us an additional surprise."
DM Mike
 GM, 1019 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 6 Feb 2007
at 01:16
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:   I am going to wait for others to post before moving on.  I want to make sure the others are okay with the plan.
Bethany
 player, 66 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Tue 6 Feb 2007
at 02:27
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Her eyes gleaming with the thought of a ambush that the guards set them selves unknowingly is priceless.  Bethany hears the uneasyness in Drakes' voice and already in the mood to fight smiles as she nominates her self.  In a soft voice full of excitement she speaks If you do not want to take the chance of going first.  I would be more then willing to go in.  A little persuasion and a bit of T'N'A never hurt with getting what we girls want.

Edging just a bit forward she doesn't go further then need be to await what the others suggest.  But the eager twitch in her hands lets everyone know she is ready.
Drake Debonn
 player, 288 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 6 Feb 2007
at 03:21
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
It took Drake a few moments to realize why Bethany was offering to take his place.  The fighter cleared his throat and steps back up for his own plan
"No, I will do it" Drake says more forcefully and then demonstrates why he came up with the suggestion.

One moment Drake is standing weaponless ensuring the group he is fine with going in and within a blink of an eye he has his sword drawn.  The speed of the draw is impressive and shows more than just the skilled training he has had, but a natural ability he has honed.

Drake resheaths his sword and waits for the others to follow, his confidence back in his posture. Sometimes he just needs a little kick in reality from time to time.

OOC: Drake has Quickdraw as a feat, thus the reson he never has a weapon ready....no need
Amylarn
 player, 106 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 6 Feb 2007
at 15:01
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn nods, impressed with Drake's demonstration. "I am convinced. Though to be fair, I am certain between Bethany and myself, we can hold the guard's attention long enough for everyone to be prepared. Regardless of who goes first, we should first guard against the guard's alarm lest he alarm the killers we came to kill." She grips the dagger again and looks ready to go in.
Drake Debonn
 player, 289 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 6 Feb 2007
at 20:48
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake feels his plan may be misunderstood by some.
"I have no doubt that a female would hold their attention, but by placing myself just inside before you knock again, they will have already granted us a sword in the door."

Drake goes on to better explain "My sword is best if it is already inside versus having to wait to get inside, should the door become a barrier." It is unsure if the fighter values his sword more than the ladies or is being protective of them, should things turn bad.

Drake finishes, addressing the need to stop any alarm. "Is any among us skilled in magic that would help quiet such an attempt to alert the others?"
Even though the group has been together a short while, Drake realized he doesn't fully know the strength or weaknesses of his allies.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 51 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Tue 6 Feb 2007
at 20:54
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"No, I'm afraid not...  Well, only by making a possibly louder alarm, to cover it up, but that might not be advisable, after all..." Elodeir answered, and shrugged, having been quietly filling inn the elven priestess who had joined them as they left the tavern on what was going on.  "How about you, Shaeria?" he asked, and turned a charming smile on the lady, one he mastered so well.
DM Mike
 GM, 1022 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Thu 15 Feb 2007
at 02:28
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The halfling looks up and nods.

------------------------------

OOC: We'll say you decide to enter, go to open the door and...

-------------------------------

The door to the rendering shop is locked.  It takes a bit of doing, but after one bent-beyond-repair pick, Amy manages to get the door open.

Peeking in, you see the door is guarded by one of the uniformed guards of the Ilithane house.  He is standing halfway between the door and the steps that lead down into the rendering area itself.  His attention is more on what is going on down in the rendering area.

The flicker of flames lights the walls in an eerie way, and all the shadows are deep and long.

Low voices flow up from the downstairs area, but you can not make out what is being said.

--------------------------------

You've opened the door, and now need to work on getting in.

Move Silent checks, DC 10 are needed.  Failing having that skill, default to a Dex check, DC 11.

Shaeria Moonshadow
 player, 10 posts
Thu 15 Feb 2007
at 02:39
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Shrugging lightly in response to Elodeir's question, Shaeria follows the others in, but unfortunately not quite as silently as she would have preferred.
DM Mike
 GM, 1023 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Thu 15 Feb 2007
at 02:52
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

Skip those move quietly checks.

One failure was enough, and we've already had it!


-----------------------

Taking the lead, the lightest member of your crew moves into the shop and stubs her toe on one of the many loose boards of the floor.  Stiffling her cry of pain and surprise, she nevertheless makes enough noise to attract the attention of the Ilithrane house guard.

The man turns, gapes, and says "hey", but has not yet called out to alarm the others.

-------------------------

OOC: Meaning you surprised him.

You can all act, while he reacts (as he did above) and Shaeria rubs her toe.

Drake Debonn
 player, 290 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Thu 15 Feb 2007
at 03:12
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake can not fault Shaeria, there was little chance he was going to be quiet. With shield already in hand, Drake reacts quickly, charging into the building and directly towards the guard.  He makes sure his path is slightly off center, to allow anything flying in from his companions behind. Drakes draws his sword in midstride, keeping his shield up.


=========================================

FROM DM:

Drake moves quickly and just as the guard is about to shout out in alarm, the black-clad warrior slams into the man with his sword, driving it deep into his shoulder.

The shout of pain is loud, but is it loud enough to alert those in the room below?

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:20, Mon 26 Feb 2007.

Bethany
 player, 68 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Thu 15 Feb 2007
at 03:44
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Moving forward she lifts her bow out as they moved closer to the door.  Already the sounds everyone made made her cringe.  The lock pops and soon a few start to move in.  Shaeria the first to start in stubs her toe and the guard looks towards the visitors.  Drake not wasting time charges in and to the side to run the man down.  A smile crosses her face as she lets her first arrow fly.


================================

FROM DM:

The ranger unleashes her arrow and it hits the human guardsman in his chest, silencing his cry of pain.

The man slumps to the floor dead, blood pouring out of two nasty wounds.

Bethany can make out the voices from the room below, and from their even tones, she feels that no alarm has been raised.

But she also hears footsteps coming up the stairs.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:24, Mon 26 Feb 2007.

Amylarn
 player, 107 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 20 Feb 2007
at 14:00
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Confusion was starting to develop inside the place and Amylarn would use it to her advantage. A battle of blades would not be the best use of her talents so she ducked down and tried to move in unnoticed, or at least find a spot out of the way where she could set up a diversion.

13:59, Today: Amylarn rolled 10 using 1d20+7. Hide check. 

===================================

FROM DM:

Amy ducks behind a crate, but she knows she will have to duck down even more to be fully hidden.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:25, Mon 26 Feb 2007.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 52 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Tue 20 Feb 2007
at 16:27
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Moving quickly inside, Elodeir lifted his crossbow as he moved, and let a bolt fly, aiming for the torso of the guard.
DM Mike
 GM, 1024 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Mon 26 Feb 2007
at 05:30
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
See above for replies in posts.

Seeing the guard fall dead, Elodeir holds his fire.

OOC: You can keep the rolls if you like, Elodeir.  Just re-post them if you use them in your next attack with the crossbow.

Bethany signals someone is coming up the steps and she and Drake move back out of sight as Amylarn ducks down to be unseen by wheover comes up the stairs.

The voices from the room below sound like murmurs from where you stand.

=================================

OOC: There are places you can hide before the person coming up the stairs will see you, but there is no way to hide the body of the guard and the blood from it before whoever is coming up the steps gets into the room.
Bethany
 player, 69 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Mon 26 Feb 2007
at 05:51
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Seeing that she had no chance to hide the body she motions for everyone else to hide.  Stepping back a few feet Bethany pulls another arrow and notches it in the string.  Pulling the bow string back she braces her self and gets ready to let loose another arrow in hopes that the same fate will befall the new person.  As she holds the string it starts to cut into her fingers as she readies her self.  She hopes that if she didnt kill this villian that the others would rush out and finish them off quickly.

OOC: Should I roll another attack roll and damage or would you rather I wait till you are ready for them?


====================================

FROM DM:

OOC:
We can use the rolls you listed as a private line here, assuming you shoot at first sight of the man coming up the stairs.


Bethany's arrow flies fast, silent, and hits true.

The guard grabs at his throat where the arrow struck him and he runs the last three steps up into the room as if he is in a panic.

His eyes are wide and his hands grip at the blood gushing from his throat.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:04, Mon 05 Mar 2007.

Drake Debonn
 player, 291 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Mon 26 Feb 2007
at 13:38
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake quickly slide over to the side of the stairs.  He knows the attention of the one coming up the stairs will be on the other guard. His sword is out and his shield ready. He looks to Bethany and the others. With another quick barrage of missile and his sword, he may be able to cut the other down.......Then he wonders, if it is the youngest brother. The one not fully involved int he problems they are looking into. The figher is prepared to turn his blade, should he need to merely subdue the person coming.

Will wait until next post to see who comes up
Shaeria Moonshadow
 player, 11 posts
Tue 27 Feb 2007
at 04:28
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Already chagrined at the trouble she had caused, Shaeria quickly does as told and hides.
DM Mike
 GM, 1027 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Mon 5 Mar 2007
at 03:08
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

I am pretty much going to move things along.

Bethany posted attack and damage rolls, and we will say that she aimed well, intending to hit the man in such a way that he could not make a lot of noise as he entered the room.

Her arrow goes through his throat and...


========================

The guardsman gasps for air like a fish out of water, blood spirting from the hole in his throat with each beat of his frantic heart.

Seeing only Bethany, he turns and tries to call down the stairs, but his voice is a quiet rasp, not the shout of alarm he'd hoped it would be.

Taking a step toward the steps, he drops to one knee.

If he makes it down those stairs or falls down them, the jig is up.

Drake's experienced eyes tell him that unless the man gets healing of some sort in the next several seconds, he will die.

It will take magical healing to save him, and perhaps saving him will get him to help you.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:19, Mon 05 Mar 2007.

Amylarn
 player, 109 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 5 Mar 2007
at 17:24
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
A moment later, the object of their endeavor appears from one side of the room. Lady Constance Ilithrane stands calm and regal in her dark robes. "Well...so much for needing a distraction." To the several looks of alarm and malice she is sure to get, Lady Ilithrane grins and slowly holds up her palms. "Relax. I am Amylarn." The disguise she has put on is completely and absolutely dead on the mark. "As soon as you all decide it is safe not to kill me, we should get that body out of the way and go downstairs. I plan to cause a great deal of confusion before this magic wears off."
Drake Debonn
 player, 292 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Wed 7 Mar 2007
at 21:28
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake waits to see the will of the group. Should it be to proceed forward and make chaos, he will put the wounded man out of his misery. If it isn't, there isn't much he can do for him anyway, so the result may be the same.
DM Mike
 GM, 1029 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Thu 8 Mar 2007
at 04:54
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
As Amylarn appears as Lady Constance Illithrane, the guard gasps, then coughs out blood as his eyes widen and he shakes his head.

He seems surpised and a bit frightened at seeing Constance here, but he is also aware he is dying.

He reaches out for Amy, grasping at the air with his shaking fingers.

==============================

OOC:

Imagine my surprise when I saw my NPC's picture show up as one of my PCs!!  Good work, Amylarn!

Amylarn
 player, 111 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Thu 8 Mar 2007
at 23:54
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Playing her part, Amylarn looks assumes a haughty expression and bends over the guard. She showed no compassion for the man and stayed just out of arms reach. ”Is my imposter here?” The imitated voice was close to matching Lady Illithrane, though not exact as she had only heard the woman speak a few words. Amy made no attempt to explain herself and was hoping only that he would live long enough to tell them something useful, though this seemed doubtful. ”Will you use your dying breath to offer your meager help to the woman with your life in her grasp?” She spoke half commanding, half mocking. Somewhere in her mind, the part of Amylarn’s subconscious that acted in goodness and well meaning beat against the temporary cage that her disguised personality had locked it in. To watch and do nothing as a living soul died helplessly was evil to be sure. But at least she wasn’t killing him herself. Or worse, trying to bring him back as undead.
DM Mike
 GM, 1032 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Sat 10 Mar 2007
at 19:43
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The man's eyes practically bug out as he nods.  More blood spurts from the nasty arrow wound, and Drake and Bethany can tell he has only a few more seconds of life.  If any attempt is made to save him, it will have to come quickly.

=================================

OOC:

Is Elodeir still with us?

DM Windwalker
 GM, 14 posts
 The future Mrs.
 Annihilator
Sat 10 Mar 2007
at 21:22
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: He's out of town for his birthday.  He'll be back late Sunday night.
Amylarn
 player, 112 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Sun 11 Mar 2007
at 08:40
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Having no skills at healing and no other means of stopping the guard's death, Amylarn looks to the others with a nod of approval. "Save him if you can." There was no emotion in her voice, good or bad. It was simply a request.
Bethany
 player, 71 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Sun 11 Mar 2007
at 17:55
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Trying to play the part Bethany goes next to the man and with a disgusted look that showed pleasure more then disgust pulls out some cloth and her water.  Knowing the wound fatal she thinks it best to keep the arrow in for now.  Yes M'Lady, I will do my best... With a small bow she kneels next to the man and tries to save him for at least a few more minutes.  The look of pleasure does soon turn into one of disgust, or just a vile feeling that the dieing man knows is not a friendly sign.  When she had finished what she could do she stands back up and bows once more to the lady.  I have done what my skills will allow me M'Lady.

OOC:11:50, Today: Bethany rolled 18 using 1d20+5. Heal Skill - dieing man.
DM Mike
 GM, 1034 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Mon 12 Mar 2007
at 04:10
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Bethany appreciates the harm her arrows can do to human flesh as she pulls hers from the man's throat.

She is fast enough to apply pressure to the wound and wrap a cloth around it to stop the bleeding.

The man may yet live, but his voice will be forever changed.

He grips his throat and backs away from the cold eyes of the woman who saved him.

=========================

OOC:

The guard will live and he is silenced, too weak to really raise any alarm, should he want to in the first place.

Time to move on.


===========================

You look down the stairway, listening intently.  You hear low murmuring sounds and see torchlight dancing off the ceiling.  Forms are moving slowly down below.
Amylarn
 player, 113 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 12 Mar 2007
at 04:51
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn had hoped to gain some information from the wounded guard. Seeing how weak he was and the strain it took just to nod a her, it was clear he was in no shape to answer questions. She turned back to her companions and drew them close, speaking in whispers. "This magic will last maybe 20 more minutes. Long enough for me to sow confusion downstairs." She was talking fast to save time. "I say we should move in swiftly, boldly, and try to take Ilithrane prisoner first. Once we have a blade pressed to their leader's neck as we will have some leverage. The only problem is that we do not know how many are down there. If anyone has another idea, tell it quickly." As usual, Amy had a couple of specific ideas about how to proceed, but did not want to railroad the others into her plan.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:21, Mon 12 Mar 2007.

DM Mike
 GM, 1035 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Mon 12 Mar 2007
at 21:58
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

So far about one minute has passed since the guard first appeared, got whacked by the arrow, and Amylarn came out in her magical disguise, the guard was healed, etc.

Bethany
 player, 72 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Mon 12 Mar 2007
at 22:03
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Nodding to the order from the lady in charge Bethany smiles as she notches the arrow she had just taken out of the mans neck.  Knowing his voice to be ruined for what she hoped was forever she hoped that the man would learn to respect the women of this city and he goes home to be with his wife and children if he has any.  Slinking down into the compound she listens as best as she can for signs of anyone else coming.  With Amylarn behind her she hoped that if anyone comes around the corner they would see her and think that she was being escorted to the meeting that these villians had.

OOC: I would like to if we have time leaving take 1 tooth from the man I killed on my own.  It is just a minor thing heh heh.

==================================

FROM DM:

Bethany hears only soft voices from the room below.  She also smells something...foul down there.  Rotted flesh mixed with wax and burnt herbs.  And the thick smell of blood.  A LOT of blood.

OOC:

Either give the guy a kick in the mouth and knock a tooth out or get something like pliers (there are several within reach for breaking bones and such here) and yank one out.  It will take a round.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:56, Tue 20 Mar 2007.

Drake Debonn
 player, 293 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 13 Mar 2007
at 00:34
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake contemplates whether he should swap his sword for his bow as well. It would give them a quick attack, but he doubts he will have time for swap, once things get nasty. Instead Drake prepares sword and shield and heads down with the others, letting Amy lead.

OOC: Sorry Bethany, but you didn't take out the other guard by yourself, I think Drake's sword prepped him a little for you, but he has no need for teeth :)
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 54 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Tue 13 Mar 2007
at 13:07
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"If you are confident that you can pull this off, then I say we go for it," Elodeir replied as he replaced the bolt he had fired off earlier, before whispering a quiet prayer to Tymora for their success.
Amylarn
 player, 114 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 13 Mar 2007
at 15:54
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
”Confidance has never been a problem for me, Elodeir. Plus I have the luck of two halflings.” The human winked at Elodeir and turned back to the stairs. Clearing her mind and focusing on what she knows about Constance Illithrane. She concentrates on the way the necromancer acted and sounded in the times Amy had observed her. Keeping these things in the forefront of her thoughts, Amylarn led the rest of the group down the stairs and quickly surveyed the proceedings to see how best to interrupt things.

================================

FROM DM:

A Peform check would be needed to see how well you mimic the noble woman's voice and mannerisms and then a Bluff check would be needed to pull something off where the others down below may give moments' pause to figure things out.

You CAN take 10 with the Perform check up here, but that would take a good minute or two.

The DCs are a bit high, since the people down below with Constance know her well.  And one of them knows here very well.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:05, Tue 20 Mar 2007.

Shaeria Moonshadow
 player, 14 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2007
at 23:07
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Shaeria stays back, embarrassed at causing the problems and wanting to avoid causing anymore.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 55 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Tue 13 Mar 2007
at 23:17
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Stepping over towards Shaeria, Elodeir offered her a warm smile, and placed a hand on her shoulder.  "Do not worry, Lady Moonshadow.  Everything will be all right, I promise you," he whispered in elven, having sensed that something was troubling the priestess, before letting go of her shoulder, and moving to follow Amylarn.  "Just stay close to me, all right?" he added, glancing back at Shaeria from over his shoulder.
DM Mike
 GM, 1036 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 20 Mar 2007
at 03:10
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

Replies in some posts above.

-----------------------

You make last minute preparations and other more personal actions, making ready to head down the stairs.

----------------------

<green>OOC:

The stairs allow single-file passage.

Let me know how you are descending down into the room below. Who is in front, how you're pulling off your plan, etc.

Once that is all established, we'll get to the room below.

Amylarn
 player, 115 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 20 Mar 2007
at 18:49
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
DM Mike:
A Peform check would be needed to see how well you mimic the noble woman's voice and mannerisms and then a Bluff check would be needed to pull something off where the others down below may give moments' pause to figure things out.

You CAN take 10 with the Perform check up here, but that would take a good minute or two.

The DCs are a bit high, since the people down below with Constance know her well.  And one of them knows here very well.

OOC: So I need to roll a perform check and a bluff check. I can take one minute to prepare and then Take 10 on the perform check. I’ll do that. I don’t know if you need the bluff check now or after we get down the stairs but I’ll roll it now for the sake of saving time.

Take 10 on Perform check = 12
13:41, Today: Amylarn rolled 17 using 1d20+10. Bluff: Imitate Ilithrane.

That’s probably not good enough to fool everybody downstairs but I’ll play as if I think it is. Maybe it’s enough to confuse them long enough to get the drop on them.  Drake has generously offered to act as body guard and I’m happy to take him up on it. My opinion is that I should lead the group and draw the attention of everyone downstairs. I’ll talk loud and forcefully. I think one or more of us should move to take Constance prisoner and then use her as a bargaining chip to get everyone else to surrender.  I’ve got a couple daggers that I can threaten her with but someone else might do better at that part.

Anyone else have comments?

Drake Debonn
 player, 296 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Wed 21 Mar 2007
at 13:17
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake takes an active roll in the planning. He has trouble escaping his past training, but it does serve him well at times.

"I don't normally like to brandish my sword, unnecessarily, but in this case I feel I should look the part and come with both ready beside "Lady Ilithrane".
I doubt that they will have any ranged weapons ready inside, so if we want the jump on them, many of you may want to prepare spell or weapon that we can utilize from a distance and with effectiveness"


Drake knows already what Bethany can do with a bow and hope the others are equally efficient.
DM Mike
 GM, 1037 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 27 Mar 2007
at 11:56
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The group finalizes their plans and then head down the dark stairs into the basement of the rendering plant.

The air gets thick with many smells, few of them pleasant.

You see in the dim light of two braziers that Constance is at the head of a long table.  On the table is a dead body, the body of a thin man with dark long hair, a tattoo on his chest, and stitched-up wounds.  From the description you've heard, this is the body of the killer!

Standing near Constance is Durkin Shark (to her right) and Ardo Surwin (to her left).  Both men are holding silver bowls of blood.  Consrance is weaving her hands over the head of the killer's body, murmuring arcane spells.  Black and red motes of misty light fall from her fingers and onto the body of the dead man.

Near the stairs are two other men, and while you can not make out their features from where you are, judging from the shade of his hair, one of them is one of the Shark brothers.  The other man is short enough to be a dwarf, but he does not seem stocky enough.

Putting your plan into action, you keep going down the stairs and Amylarn goes into her act of immitating Constance.
DM Mike
 GM, 1038 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 27 Mar 2007
at 12:05
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The men look up, surprise on their faces.

Wha..?

Hey, what goes on!

Constance blinks and looks up, her concentration on the spell she was casting shot.  A single large reddish globe of misty light falls from her hands onto the chest of the dead killer.

What is this?!  Who are you?  What are you doing here?

Then, realizing she should be acting instead of asking questions, she shouts out an order for the men to stop you while she moves for a round table next to the table on which the body rests.

Durkin shark seems unsure what do to, but Ardo is already moving, setting down the bowl of blood with great care on the table where Constance is reaching for something.

The two men near the botton of the stairs - the Shark brother and the stout short man - draw swords and ready for battle.

======================================

OOC:

Okay, you have a surprise round, and then win initiative!  Good work!

You can each post two rounds worth of actions.

Amylarn, your Bluff and RPing may take up those two rounds, so please post once, and I will let you know if you have other time to act.

Also, your Bluff roll was decent,a nd I will take that into account once I read your RP-based post.

No time for a map, but any of the people in the basement are in melee range of any of you.  But to move past the two men at the stairs would draw AoO from them.

Standing at the stairs, you can also get missle attacks off on Constance, Durken, or Ardo, too.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:54, Tue 27 Mar 2007.

Amylarn
 player, 116 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 27 Mar 2007
at 18:47
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn forces herself to appear calm and unrushed. Upon being noticed she replies directly to Constance, ignoring the others for a moment. "What am I doing here? I am catching you in the act of impersonating me Emleea Neverseen." Catching the necromancer and her lackeys by surprise gives Amy a chance to wield her most potent weapon: confusion. She speaks with familiar authority and confidence. "I have waited long for this moment! Durkin, Ardo, stop her before she ensorcells you!  Drake, help them." She hopes that Drake's "obediance" to her will prompt Durkin and Ardo to respond the same way.

While everyone else acts, or stands around in confusion, Amylarn makes use of another secret she has been keeping. Using a Mage Hand spell she flicks her wrist to send the silver bowl of blood skittering off the table and toward the wall.

OOC: I'll spend the surprise round speaking and keeping everyone's attention on me. The next round I'll use the Mage Hand spell.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:48, Tue 27 Mar 2007.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 57 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Tue 27 Mar 2007
at 19:34
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Stepping up right next to Amylarn, Elodeir pointed his finger directly towards Constance, and as he incanted the words to his spell, a blazing ray of fire streaked out, catching her in the side.  "You will surrender, and do so now, or you will burn for trying to impersonate Lady Ilithrane!" he called out, and readied himself to cast again should she choose against it.
Drake Debonn
 player, 297 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 27 Mar 2007
at 19:36
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake head directly for Constance, hoping to push his way past the two sentries.

If there is trouble Drake will fight.

If Drake is stopped he will attack. No sense loosing the surprise. So I can't post my two actions, as of yet
DM Mike
 GM, 1039 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Thu 5 Apr 2007
at 04:20
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:  I have been gone for a long time, but am a bit dismayed to see that only three PCs have acted in the surprise round!

For lack of something better, I will say those who did not post had no real idea of how to help and held back, biding their time, but weapons ready to strike.

DM Mike
 GM, 1040 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Thu 5 Apr 2007
at 05:16
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Everyone is stunned by the twin Constance Illithanes, but Ardo seems to recover fastest.  His hand wraps around a black wood wand and he points it toward the "new" Constance - Amylarn.

Meanwhile Durken spills some of the blood from the silver bowl, a stream of it falling down onto the body of the silent killer.  That seems to frighten Constance, and her go to narrow slits.

But as she hisses a curse to her blond lover, Elodeir's scorching flames tear up her chest and into her face.

She falls to her knees screaming in pain and rage.

Kill them before all is lost!!

The sentries snap out of it and try to block Drake and Shaeria.

============================================

OOC: That was the surprise round.

The cult members show no sign of surrendering, so Elodeir lets loose with a second ray fo flames, killing Constance.

Durkin tries to step in the way of the ray, but Elodeir hits her square in the face and thoat, his aim uncanny, as if directed by the hand of a god!


===============================================

Ardo calls out for you all to halt or he will slay the false Constance.

The real constance falls face down into the blood-caked floor, her last words a wimper as she cries from pain.  Her thin hands claw at her hair as it starts to light on fire and she kicks and trembles as she dies on the floor.

Durkin calls her name out has he draws a wicked longsword, the blood from the silver bowl covering his hands, running down onto the hilt of the sword.

The sentries try to bully Shaeria and Drake, but the two are ready for them.

And from the shadows, Bethany attacks them as well.

And the body on the table starts to quiver and move, moans coming from it.

Constance's charred and bloody hand is on its forearm, her last spasm apparently throwing her hand up, connecting with the dead killer's pale flesh.

==============================================

OOC:

Bethany and Shaeria will post (I hope) as will Drake.

Amy can post dialogue and a reaction to Ardo.

All of Elodier's actions have been taken until next round.

The NPCs will act, then the PCs get their next round.

If Bethany and Shaeria do not post by the time I get back on, I will post for them.

Going great so far, folks!!

Drake Debonn
 player, 298 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Thu 5 Apr 2007
at 16:23
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake immediately attacks the stout fighter, not wanting to hurt the younger Shark brother.  Drake hopes that he doesn't want to be part of what is going on.

The sword is swift and accurate, as normal, and the blade cuts into his opponents side.


=================================

FROM DM:

The stout man lets out a loud grunt as blood spurts from the wound Drake dug into his left side.

His eyes narrow and he grits his teeth, saying nothing to Drake as he takes aim with his sword, ready to strike the fighter.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:44, Fri 06 Apr 2007.

Amylarn
 player, 117 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Thu 5 Apr 2007
at 17:53
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
”ARDO!” The Constance who remains standing barks a command at the man across the room. ”Ardo, put that down at once! Emleea is dead.” Amy points at the dead necromancer to reinforce what she means. ”She is no longer a threat to you.” She continues down the steps and places herself behind Drake, taking cover from whatever Ardo plans to do with that wand. Amylarn draws a dagger and prepares herself to fling it at Ardo should he decide to ignore her commands.

=================================================

OOC:

Give me a Bluff check, and you KNOW the DC is high.

Want to use the Christmas 20 now?

;)

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:46, Fri 06 Apr 2007.

Bethany
 player, 76 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Thu 5 Apr 2007
at 23:34
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Round 1 - BOO!

As they enter and her mistress comands the others to listen to her and not the false one.  The reactions of the private body guards entering the room must be overwhelming to say the least and to not let anything go Bethany simply pulls her bow string fully back looking over the room with the point aimed at painfull and cripling points.  The blood has since dried and so it does not glisten as it would have a few moments ago.

Round 2 - FIGHT!

The bowl flies, the "Imposter screams as she dies", the others move in reaction and Bethany lets loose an arrow towards the mans arm that is holding the wand towards her mistress.  Before the first arrow had conected the second arrow is flying and is also aimed at the fool to threaten a friend of hers.
DM Mike
 GM, 1043 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Fri 6 Apr 2007
at 02:51
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

Replies in posts above.

-------------------

Bethany's first arrow stikes the thin mage in his right shoulder, making him almost drop the black wand.  The shimmer of magic leaves the wand, Ardo's concentration shattered by the attack.

The pale body on the table takes in a deep, shuddering breath, the rasping noise so loud it grates your ears and so eerie it grates you nerves.

---------------------

OOC:

Calling Shaeria Moonshadow...

Calling Shaeria Moonshadow...

Shaeria Moonshadow
 player, 15 posts
Fri 6 Apr 2007
at 03:48
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
So sorry, Mike.  Rough couple of weeks...

Shaeria really didn't understand all that was going on yet, but she tried to follow the lead of the others as much as possible.  Finally making at least a little bit of sense of what is going on, she prepared to assist and protect Amylarn to the best of her ability, drawing her slender longsword and holding it loosely yet with a confidence that belied her nervousness due to her lack of knowledge.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:50, Fri 06 Apr 2007.

Amylarn
 player, 122 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Fri 6 Apr 2007
at 22:35
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
DM Mike:
Give me a Bluff check, and you KNOW the DC is high.

OOC: What? Really? I didn’t realize I’d get another chance to roll it.

I’ve been thinking about this. Since the threat from Ardo was effectively neutralized by Bethany’s bow [Thanks Blondie! :D  ] I doubt much of anything would convince Ardo and the others to believe my bluff now. I’ll keep that Christmas 20 for now and use the dice roller.

18:31, Today: Amylarn rolled 17 using 1d20+10. Bluff check.

At this point that’s probably not good enough to fool ANYbody downstairs. So now I’m just waiting for the next round I think.

DM Mike
 GM, 1050 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Sun 8 Apr 2007
at 18:38
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Ardo, in his confusing, looks to Amylarn, doubt in his eyes.

If you are...I mean if she...

He...


The slender mage points to the body of the killer raising up off the table, now fear in his eyes replacing the doubt.

Look, whoever you are, that...that...THING is not ready yet, its mind not in place, the spells not fully cast...

It was to be under Illithrane's control, but now...


Durken looks to him and spit out Shut up, shut up, shut UP!

His youinger brother near the stairs ignores Drake and the rest near him and makes for the stairs.

Durken, you said we'd be safe, you said she knew what she was doing...

Now she comes down... I mean there are two of her and...

Tymora, help us!


Durken tosses the blood-filled bowl to the floor and rushes ahead toward Amylarn, blade out ready to slash at her face or throat.

The stout man is also un-nerved, and he only gives a half-hearted swing at Drake, as if his attention is not on the moment, his mind 100 miles away as he looks at the body of the killer getting up from the table.

--------------------------

OOC:

The NPCs are at their wits end, so the PCs can act again.

Durken is a threat, to be sure, and the undead creature is of real concern, but he is not able to attack this turn.

Shaeria Moonshadow
 player, 26 posts
Sun 8 Apr 2007
at 21:02
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Shaeria, shivering, pulls forth her holy symbol from beneath her cloak and holds it out with much determination.  Quietly she utters an ancient elven prayer to the Creator of the Elves, asking him to stop the creature she assumed as undead that was rising from the table.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 67 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Sun 8 Apr 2007
at 21:11
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"Listen to me, fools, and listen good - you either help us stop that abomination that you have unleashed upon the world, or you burn with the imposter, but you choose now!" Elodeir called out, his voice hard and demanding, having nothing but contempt for those who mocked the life of light with such twisted pervesions of undeath.  And, before they could answer him, another ray of flames shot forth from his fingers, the blazing fire streaking towards the creature. . .
DM Mike
 GM, 1052 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Sun 8 Apr 2007
at 23:32
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The undead thing keeps rising, and Durken Shark keps rushing toward Amylarn.

Ardo nods, though, and grips his hand more tightly, pointing it at the rising thing.  The stout man licks his lips and seems unsteady.

The younger Shark brother is going up the stairs.

=========================

OOC: Drake can stop the younger Shark if he likes.  He can also get an AoO on him.
Drake Debonn
 player, 302 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Mon 9 Apr 2007
at 00:54
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake has no wish, or heart, to strike down the younger Shark, even with the opening he is offered, and sees no interest in attacking the man he just struck.  The charging Durken gets his attention and he steps infront of Amylarn and strike with deadly accuracy, as his adrenaline rushes.


========================================

FROM DM:

his sights only on the fake Constance before him, the onrushing bully is caught by total surprise by Drake's attack.

Drake's blade digs deep into the big blond man's stomach and Shark lurches forward, almost dropping his sword.  He lets out a loud grunt and backs up, blinking hard, as if seeing Drake for the first time.

As his blood pours out onto the floor, Durken Shark bellows out a curse to Drake's mother and makes ready to strike at the handsome fighter.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:07, Tue 10 Apr 2007.

Amylarn
 player, 127 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 9 Apr 2007
at 18:53
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Things were quickly falling to pieces in the makeshift unholy necromancer’s lab. But that was to be expected. As far as the Amylarn was concerned the only thing more effective than confusion, was more confusion. Judging from the vicious look on Durken’s face he wasn’t falling for the trick any longer. Seeing that Drake had let Durkin’s brother past and the man was headed up the stairs, Amy turned and chased after him while screaming at Durkin! ”Durken, my love, don’t hurt me! Aaaah!” Illithrane’s imposter would continue up the stairs a few steps behind the younger Shark brother until they were both out of sight.
DM Mike
 GM, 1055 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 10 Apr 2007
at 03:17
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

Reply in Drake's post.


Amy tries to get up the stairs, but she finds the younger Shark brother in her way.  He stands on the fifth stair up, right in the middle.

As Amy (looking like Constance Illithane) makes for the stares, he stammers out Look, I...I want no trouble, but Durken, he's the boss, and....

His sentence goes unfinished.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:20, Tue 10 Apr 2007.

DM Mike
 GM, 1057 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 10 Apr 2007
at 03:50
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

To bring us up to the present:


Amylarn is tying to get up the stairs, but the youngest of the four Shark brothers has stopped her.  He is not attacking her, but challenging and questioning her.

Meanwhile Durken Shark, the leader of the Shark boys, is attacking Drake, who has served the thug with a nasty wound in his stomach.

Elodeir took out Constance Illithane, and her dying seems to have helped cause the body of the silent killer to rise.  Her dead flesh, or her evil soul's energy, or her own blood, maybe, seem to have somehow energized the corpse.  The blood that Durken spilled accidently onto the corpse upon being surprised by Amylarn's coming down the stairs into the rendng shop's basement no doubt helped, too.

Little Moonshadow tried to turn the walking dead as it rose up off the table it was on, but had no luck.

The stout warrior guarding the stairs is loosing his nerve and sanity.

Bethany stands, eyes wide, and she lets out a gasp, drawing everyone's attention to the undead thing.

Magical energies surge through the thing's pale skin, and it spasms.  Its eyes bulge out and it lets out a yell that is cold like a grave, angry like a thunderclap at midnight.

Its body seems to warp, then grow to twice its normal size.  Skin rips, guts show, and blood drips from it.



It looks about in confusion and anger, as if offending it has been woken from its death-slumber.

Durken is not distracted, his insane focus only on Drake.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:53, Tue 10 Apr 2007.

DM Mike
 GM, 1058 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 10 Apr 2007
at 03:55
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:  Ya gotta see these rolls!

23:52, Today: Durken Shark (NPC) rolled 20 using 1d20+8. Crit?!.
23:51, Today: Durken Shark (NPC) rolled 28 using 1d20+8. To hit Drake.
23:53, Today: Durken Shark (NPC) rolled 13 using 1d8+5.
23:52, Today: Durken Shark (NPC) rolled 9 using 1d20+8. 1d8+5.


Durken lets out a roar to beat the undead thing's loud voice, cutting Drake deep down this middle, his blade hitting bone several times.

My love may be dead, but your life will be mine in trade!!

--------------------------

DRAKE:  22 points of damage!  I'm rooting for you to kill this guy so you can claim his sword as your own after this!

Ardo stammers out a command and his wand shoots forth three bolts of yellow-green light.  The zombie-thing is hit in its back and the bolts leave small burn marks.  The creature lets out a groan and looks around to see where the bolts came from.  Ardo seems to shrink as the monster catches sight of him.

The stout guard makes for the stairs yelling out Tymora's name, almost bowling over Amy.

Outta the way!!

---------------------------

OOC:

AMYLARN:  I need a Reflex Check, DC 13 to avoid falling as the man rushes past you.


-------------------------

The party can act.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:05, Tue 10 Apr 2007.

Shaeria Moonshadow
 player, 29 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2007
at 03:57
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Whoa!  Not cool!  :p
DM Mike
 GM, 1059 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 10 Apr 2007
at 04:07
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

The party is up.

The zombie does not have the weapon or shield as depicted in the picture.  It is close to how he looks, though.

Drake Debonn
 player, 303 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 10 Apr 2007
at 04:20
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake questions his bravery feeling Durken's strike. He has never felt pain such as this. His first thoughts are to his potion in his backpack, but there is no way to get to it and survive in this fight with the older Shark brother.  Drake does the only thing he can and returns blows, hoping Durken will fall before he does

Damn! Durken got exactly what he needed to crit me!


==================================

FROM DM:

Durken grunts and squints as Drake's blade severs off a strip of flesh from the big man's forearm.

Drake feels his blood go cold as the Shark brother rises his sword to attack once more.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:04, Thu 12 Apr 2007.

Bethany
 player, 80 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Tue 10 Apr 2007
at 04:39
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Moving towards the zombie like creature Bethany drops her bow feeling it safer for her friends if she doesnt hurt them.  As she moves closer to the creature she starts to draw her longsword and as it escapes the sheeth she slashes at the creature in a upward swing.  Letting out a yell more for the force of the attack then anything she hopes that what little she can do to help her friends would be enough.


=============================

FROM DM:

A smell like rotted flesh mixed with sharp cheese escapes the zombie's pale flesh and Bethany has to snort loudly to keep the odor from overtaking her.

She feels her sword slice into the dead flesh easily, and then knock up against the thing's right shoulder blade.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:15, Thu 12 Apr 2007.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 68 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Tue 10 Apr 2007
at 09:57
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Having to make a decision, and quickly, Elodeir took his eyes of the undead creature, and instead focused on Durken, not about to let him get in another of those hits on Drake (or anyone else, for that matter).  Speaking words of power, he then pointed his finger at the Shark brother, and set a pair of twin bolts of force flying into him, though with less, well, force than he had intented. . .


11:55, Today: Elodeir Nightjewel rolled 4 using 2d4+2. Magic Missile.

======================================

FROM DM:

The bolts slam into Durken and the big man's attention is take away from Drake for a second, but the blonde man shakes his head as if clearing it, and raises his sword higher over Drake's head.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:21, Thu 12 Apr 2007.

Amylarn
 player, 128 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 10 Apr 2007
at 20:44
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
A loud pounding of fast feet tell Amylarn that someone is trying to beat her to the top of the stairs. Before she has a chance to get two words out of her mouth in protest against the youngest of the Shark brothers, Amylarn finds herself jerking to one side and pressing herself against the wall of the rending shop. She easily gets out of the way of the stout bodyguard and wonders if the Shark brother will be as lucky.

OOC: 15:12, Today: Amylarn rolled 21 using 1d20+5. Reflex save.

Combat had never been one of Amy’s strong points. In fact she had spent long hours working out ways to handle herself without getting into a brawl. Unfortunately the undead monstrosity wasn’t likely to listen as she explained all the reasons it should calm down and go back to the afterlife it had been yanked from. It started to look like she’d have to get her hands dirty after all. She carefully back tracked down the stairs and moved out into the room making sure to give plenty of space between herself and Durken.

==========================

FROM DM:

Amylarn avoids contact with the stouit guard, and he makes fast tracks up the stairs and then out of the shop.

The young Shark brother calls out to Durken, but his older bigger brother does not seem to hear him.

Amylarn sets herself up for one of the rogue's trademark attacks, Durken's back revealed in an almost tempting way.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:24, Thu 12 Apr 2007.

Shaeria Moonshadow
 player, 31 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2007
at 22:15
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Shaeria stands in horror before the monstrous undead.  She would have prayed once more to end the perversion of life but is shaken when she sees the deadly battle Drake finds himself in.  At the massive strike he takes, Shaeria knows that there is no way she can offer enough healing to counteract the damage, but perhaps he can gain the upper hand with her assistance.  As Elodeir joins Drake's battle, Shaeria's decision is confirmed.  Running to Drake she utters a healing prayer, placing her hand on his back as the magic flowed through her hand and into his body.
DM Mike
 GM, 1061 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Thu 12 Apr 2007
at 22:27
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

Replies in posts above.


-----------------------

Drake feels much-needed diving healing energies flow into and through his body.
DM Mike
 GM, 1063 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Thu 12 Apr 2007
at 22:44
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Durken yells in pride as his sword digs into Drakes flesh again, and Drake feels precious blood spout out of the wound.  He also knows that Shaeria's healing magic has kept him alive...for now.

Ardo shouts out Durken's name, fear ripping the name out as much as desperation.  Durken glances back just in time to see the yellow bolts of energy from Ardo's wand hit him in his back.

Ardo!  What in the name of...?  WHY?


Because they can help us!  They can fight this...thing...while we get out of here!

The zombie-thing, never taking its eyes off Ardo, slams its thick arms into the thin mage, forcing the man back against the wall, knocking the breath out of him.

Ardo manages to grip his wooden wand tightly, but he will probably not be able to shoot any more missiles from it, unless the zombie moves away from him.

Durken!  Come on!  Get out of here!  It's too late!!

Durken again either does not hear his brother or ignores him.  He turns to the zobmie and raises his sword against the monster.

He looks back to Drake and sneers I can always kill you later, if you don't die first!

-----------------------------------

OOC:

The party is up again!

Drake Debonn
 player, 305 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 9/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Thu 12 Apr 2007
at 23:42
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake has no desire to fight along side Durken, but is releaved he choose to change his intentions. Seeing Durken take the magical blows from Ardo and Elodeir, as well as his own solid strikes, and still standing tells Drake Durken is stronger than he.

Drake takes advantage of his break in action, even though he would like to strike Durken down, back turned or not. Quickly sheathing his sword, Drake steps back, pulling a bottle from the folds of his cloak.  He chugs it down and watches to see if Durken survives the next few seconds. If he does, Drake will take pleasure in seeing he doesn't last any longer.



============================

FROM DM:

The sweet liquid runs down Drake's throat and soon he is feeling a bit more whole and hale again.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:00, Sat 14 Apr 2007.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 69 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Fri 13 Apr 2007
at 14:08
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir decided to draw the zombie's attention away from Ardo, wanting to keep the Shark safe enough to help them with that wand of his.  Unleashing his fiery rays upon the creature again, Elodeir hoped that it would prove enough - he had not the energy to draw upon another of those that day, he could tell.
DM Mike
 GM, 1068 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Sat 14 Apr 2007
at 15:03
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The elven sorcerer's bolt of arcane fire strikes behind the zombie, almost hitting Ardo, and the huge monster's attention is now on Elodeir.

The thing is silent as it lurches ahead unsteadily, taking two big steps toward Elodeir.

This puts him in close proximity to Drake, Bethany, and Durken, and the Shark brother lets out a gasp of fright as he spins and tries to gut the zombie.  He is un-nerved, though, and his blade does not connect.

OOC: I rolled a 1!  Must be revenge for that nasty crit above!!

Bethany and Drake can get an AoO on the zombie, too.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:05, Sat 14 Apr 2007.

Drake Debonn
 player, 306 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 9/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Sat 14 Apr 2007
at 19:12
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake rushes to throw his empty bottle down and get his sword back out.  Getting the sword out was not a problem, but the rushing of everything else, as the zombie approaches, makes the fighter not fair much better than Durken.
Bethany
 player, 83 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Mon 16 Apr 2007
at 00:46
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Stepping to the side just a bit as the large creature moves closer she sees an opening from its wide blow and not one to let an attack go to waste tries to stab at the beast.  Not sure if her hit actually scored or not she wasted no time in going at the creature with a anger to match that of her anger towards humans.  Slashing into the skin and flesh of this beast she growls as she can feel her sword slice into the foul beast.


=================================

FROM DM:

Feeling the magical healing take hold, Drake takes a swipe at the lumbering zombie, but is too far-off to do any harm to the thing's toughened flesh.

Bethany does better, sweeping in low for a fast strike that connects with the zombie's upper right leg as it passes her.

A chunk of flesh bigger than her forearm drops off the zombie's leg and brown blood like syrup drips down onto the dirt floor.

The creature stumbles a bit, but does not slow in his movement toward Elodeir.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:24, Tue 17 Apr 2007.

Amylarn
 player, 132 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 16 Apr 2007
at 18:05
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Knowing that Durken Shark was not the forgiving type and not likely to listen to reason, Amylarn wanted to get him out of the way before the giant undead beast stopped distracting him. She slunk back a bit where she would be less noticed. The young woman focused the magic of her hat and changed her image to that of Marl Shark. The next movement she made would be toward Durken’s back with a dagger in her hand. If he managed to catch sight of his own brother attacking him, Durkin might think twice about retaliating.

OOC: Taking this turn to use the Hat of Disguise. I’ll attack next turn.
Drake Debonn
 player, 307 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 16/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Mon 16 Apr 2007
at 18:28
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: I assume after AoO, we could move on to next round, so Drake will post again

After a horrid attempt to slash the zombie as it passed by, Drake gathers himself and returns to better form. He reverses his missed attempt and bring the blade around to find the zombies flesh.


=================================

FROM DM:

Drake feels his head clear as his blade hits bone.  His sword digs into the zombie's chest and Drake knows he has chipped or broken one of the big creature's rib.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:26, Tue 17 Apr 2007.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 73 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Mon 16 Apr 2007
at 18:32
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:  I was sure I'd replied on Saturday - perhaps RPoL ate my post?  :s

Elodeir grimaced as the zombie now moved towards him, and he stepped back up the stairs, before releasing two missiles of force against it, and they streaked directly towards their target, striking it with ease.
DM Mike
 GM, 1069 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 17 Apr 2007
at 03:30
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Replies in most posts above.

------------------------------

The magical missiles slam into the zombie's chest, but they do not do encough harm to stop the undead horror.

It rises its arms up to grab at the elven sorcerer.

----------------------------

OOC:

Once Shaeria posts, the NPCs and the zombie act.

Shaeria Moonshadow
 player, 36 posts
Tue 17 Apr 2007
at 04:12
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Did either you or Drake roll for that potion?  I can't seem to find the roll, and that's what I'm waiting for before posting since how much he is healed will directly affect whether or not I heal him for more and also for how much.
DM Mike
 GM, 1070 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Fri 20 Apr 2007
at 05:03
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

See the OOC thread.

Since you'll be pre-occupied with personal thoughts in the days to come, let me move on.


======================

Seeing that Drake is still wobbly on his feet, Shaeria Moonshadow moves to help him.
DM Mike
 GM, 1071 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Fri 20 Apr 2007
at 05:13
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

Dicebot hates us all again...crappy rolls all around!


=====================

Durken shouts in frustration as his blade connects slightly with the zombie and does no real harm.

What the hells is going on!?

Ardo is almost silent as he whispers out the word of power which enables his wand to shoot forth bolts of light.  Three of them plow into the monster's back, leaving small smoking holes where they hit.

The zombie crashes up the first few stairs and reaches out to grab Elodeir.  His thick fingers manage to snag the elf's clothing, but that is not enough to do harm, and Elodeir manages to tear away out of its grip at the last instant.

The zombie mouths words, but no sound comes from its thick, bloated mouth.


Durken's brother makes it up the stairs and out into the shop, screaming for help.  The burly guard shakes his head and decides to move off to the other side of the cellar and disengage from the battle.

Durken calls him, his mother, and his mother's mother dogs, but the man does not care, his face pale with fear.

==================

OOC:

Tight quarters, but you can all manage to attack or act again.

Drake Debonn
 player, 309 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 16/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Fri 20 Apr 2007
at 12:07
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
If Elodeir wasn't is such trouble and being split from the group, Drake would have continued with Durken, but the fighter can't leave a friend in need.  Back in his rhythm, Drake follows the Zombie, hoping this strikes will distract the mindless body.

In the tight quarters, Drake changes his attacks from slashing to jabbing and he slides his sword's blade back into the monster's back, probably puncturing a lung, which means little to the undead.

OOC: How much is Drake healed?
DM Mike
 GM, 1072 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Sun 22 Apr 2007
at 21:58
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

I see none besides you potion:
18:34, Sat 14 Apr: Drake Debonn rolled 7 using 2d8+2. potion cmw.

Bethany
 player, 84 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Mon 23 Apr 2007
at 01:38
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Seeing the creature start to move away Bethany tries to slash out once again and feels the sword cutting into the rotting flesh.  Not knowing if any of her other attacks have done any worthwhile damage she keeps slashing and attempts to keep her self in front of the weeker members of the party.


=======================================

FROM DM:

Bethany knows that her blade did no harm this time, as it failed to strike with enough force to cut into the dead flesh of the creature.  But she is confident that should a more forceful blow be struck, she and others could cut the thing down.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:25, Sat 28 Apr 2007.

Amylarn
 player, 133 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 23 Apr 2007
at 18:38
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Out of the shadows steps a stout blonde man with thinning hair who wears a leather apron and blood-soaked gloves.  He has a green vest on under the apron. It is the spitting image of Marl Shark silently stalking up behind his brother Durken. At close range the figure pulls a dagger and throws it at Durken's back!

18:35, Today: Amylarn rolled 4 using 1d4. Trown dagger damage.
18:34, Today: Amylarn rolled 14 using 1d20+4. Trown dagger attack.


========================================

OOC:

Woah!  Didn't see this coming!!

You'll just hit, and it counts as a Sneak Attack, so I will add the damage bonus - you get that as a class feature, right?


===========================================

Durken spins to see where this latest attack comes from and his jaw drops when he sees Marl standing there.

What the HELL do you think...?

He squints, taking a few seconds to look over his stout brother's face, grpping his sword hard.

======================================



Uh oh...  Give me a Disguise check, lass!

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:46, Sat 28 Apr 2007.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 74 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Fri 27 Apr 2007
at 11:10
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Deciding that the others all stood a better chance than him in melee with a creature such as the one that had been created there, Elodeir retreated up the stairs, sending a pair of missiles of force into it as he moved.
DM Mike
 GM, 1074 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Sat 28 Apr 2007
at 14:30
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Replies in posts above.


--------------------------------

Elodeir's magical bolts hit the zombie and make black holes in its chest, fould smoke emitting from them.

The thing is slow, and those dodging its pondersous steps and sweeping attacks are usually able to get out of the way.  But its strength is incredible, like a force of nature.  If it were ever to connect...

As Drake's sword digs deep, connects with bone, and tears out a decent-sized chunk of its chest, the zombie stops its forward advance and looks down with rolling white eyes at Drake, its massive arms raised high over its head, ready to bring them down like a pair of huge hammers...

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:52, Sat 28 Apr 2007.

Shaeria Moonshadow
 player, 38 posts
Sat 28 Apr 2007
at 14:36
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
NPCed by DM Mike just to get the healing of Drake issue out of the way.

=========================

Shaeria closes her eyes and envisions the forested hills and white sandy beaches of her home Evermeet, the land blessed most by the elven gods.  A feeling of peace and tranquilty overtakes her for several seconds and divine magic weaves through her being.

The sounds of battle and the sense that her comrades need her enter into that flow of magic and her hands shoot out to rest on Drake's shoulder.  The magical healing energies enter Drake and he feels a bit more hale and hole again.

Shaeria is brought back to this stinking basement, a place of death and gore in the lands of Man, and she knows she has helped stop an act of evil this day.

Drake:  You get back 16 hit points. Had to use DM's discretion to re-roll my first time..."3" on the dice.  Yuck!

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:39, Sat 28 Apr 2007.

DM Mike
 GM, 1075 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Sat 28 Apr 2007
at 15:10
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Unsure what do to, Durken stands looking at his brother, looking for some hint as to why he attacked.

Ardo uses his wand again, three yellow bolts hitting the monster, cutting through one hand and part of its wrist.

Drake raises his arms in defense, sensing the zombie's powerful attack, and if not for his own strength, he knows the zombie's attack would have just un-done much of the healing he has just received.

Gritting his teeth, Drake fends of the undead thing's arms and is ready to attack again.

=======================

OOC:

That was a close one, the zombie missing by 2.

The party is up again!

Drake Debonn
 player, 311 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  19/14/13
 31/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Sun 29 Apr 2007
at 12:21
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake is able to block the zombie's strike with his shield, but the blow makes his counterstrike weaker than normal, but no less accurate.  Drake slices low, at the zombie's knee and hits, but the damage is light.


===================================

FROM DM:

Drake feels his blade connect with the hard dead flesh of the zombie, even if the huge zombie seems not to notice.

Little by little the undead things is being whittled down, even though it shows no sign of slowing down or falling.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:12, Thu 03 May 2007.

Bethany
 player, 85 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Sun 29 Apr 2007
at 16:18
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Damning her self for missing the last chance she had she lets out an exhausperated sigh as she knows she is useless with this attack as well.  Slashing while trying to keep the creature on her is difficult to say the least.

OOC: If my last attack missed I know this one did as well.
Amylarn
 player, 134 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Sun 29 Apr 2007
at 16:30
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"


00:44, Today: Amylarn rolled 34 using 1d20+16. Disguise check. --- (+6 ranks in Disguise +10 for the Disguise spell)
Move action to draw another dagger.
16:20, Today: Amylarn rolled 18 using 1d20+4. Trown dagger attack.
16:20, Today: Amylarn rolled 3 using 1d4. Trown dagger damage.


Durken's hesitation will cost him another wound. The image of Marl Shark reaches into his coat and reveals another dagger which immediately flies from his hand into Durken's gut! Amylarn know she best end this quick before Durken gets a chance to close the distance between them.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:34, Sun 29 Apr 2007.

DM Mike
 GM, 1077 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Thu 3 May 2007
at 02:17
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Reply in Drake's post above.

========================

As Bethany tries to strike the lumbering undead thing, Durken is caught off-guard by his "brother" and takes the dagger blow in the stomach.

Marl...What the hells is wrong with you?!

I promised Pa and Ma I'd take good care of you, but this...this...I can't let this stand!


The big Shark brother heaves his sword high, aiming for "Marl's" head.
DM Mike
 GM, 1079 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Thu 3 May 2007
at 02:23
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Elodeir aims his wand low and tewo bolts of mystic energy hit the zombie in its face.

The thing does not even blink as the missile hit it, as if it is impervious to all types of pain.

========================

OOC:

Shaeria is up, then the NPCs and the zombie get to act.

We are in the final stages of this encounter, folks!

DM Mike
 GM, 1081 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Sun 20 May 2007
at 05:03
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

Shaeria has not posted an action, so I will do so for her, than get to the zombie and NPCs' actions, then the PCs can act again.



============================

Calling forth her bravery and an image of her beloved island home of Evermeet, Shaeria rushes toward the towering zombie, her holy symbol held out in both hands.

A desperate ploy, but one that pays off!

As the symbol hits the grey flesh of the zombie, it burns, sparks of divine energies -both holy and unholy - burst forth.  The creature's face contorts in pain, its eyes closed tight, its mouth open wide.

A low hoarse scream fills the room, getting louder as black smoke rises from the burning wound.
DM Mike
 GM, 1082 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Sun 20 May 2007
at 05:09
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
As its scream gets louder, as the pain from Shaeria's holy symbol held firm against its flesh burns hotter, the zombie lashes out and comes within a hair's width of striking the elven cleric.  She manages to duck the inch needed, still holding the symbol of her faith to its dead flesh.

-------------------

OOC:

I missed by one!

Ardo Surwin (NPC)
 NPC, 6 posts
Sun 20 May 2007
at 05:11
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Gripping his wand in both hands, Ardo squeezes out three more bolts of magical light.

A second later the wand seems to shrink a bit and he tosses it aside.

Spent!

The yellow bolts of arcane light hit the zombie in its back, and it is distracted enough for Durken to get in a telling blow.
Durken Shark (NPC)
 NPC, 7 posts
Sun 20 May 2007
at 05:14
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Fall, damn you! You were never meant to be this way!!

The big Shark brother digs his sword's blade deep into the chest of the zombie.  Its tip comes out of the thing's back, bringing bits of bone and muscle with it.

The creature buckles back, the three fierce attacks from Shaeria, Ardo, and Durken almost enough to bring it down to its kness...

...almost...

Now it is up to the rest of you to stop this unholy creation once and for all!
Bethany
 player, 86 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Sun 20 May 2007
at 05:23
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Duck, weave, stab, cry.  Her attack she knows is one of the worst yet and just does her best to stay in front of the creature in a hope to distract it from her comrads.

OOC: Rolled a 6 to hit, cruddy roll
Drake Debonn
 player, 313 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  19/14/13
 31/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Mon 21 May 2007
at 00:10
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake moves back in, beside Durken and his sword flashes down beside the fighter, missing everything. Drake doesn't wait as he moves back quickly.
DM Mike
 GM, 1085 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Mon 21 May 2007
at 12:39
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Both Bethany and Drake feel the tide turn instantly from good to bad!

At least the zombie and Durken Shark have not turned their attentions back on them.

Ardo yanks a scroll from an inner pocket of his robe, cursing having memorized only spells of a necromantic sort this day.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 77 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Tue 22 May 2007
at 15:05
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
While the fighters of the group weren't having much luck with their strikes now, Elodeir's magic missiles struck perfectly from further up the stairs, slamming into the zombie, crashing into it's chest with great force.
DM Mike
 GM, 1088 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Wed 23 May 2007
at 01:49
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The magical bolt hits the zombie, and the small black hole sizzles like meat on a fire, the smell coming from it truly stomach-turning.

A worse smell comes from the smoke and sparks that rise up from where Shaeria Moonshadow holds her holy suymbol firmly against the monster's grey flesh.

She is starting to sweat and she is bearing her teeth like a feral beast, but all in the room know that this one elf has done as much as any of them have to put this threat to rest for a final time.
DM Mike
 GM, 1089 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Wed 23 May 2007
at 01:50
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC: Amy is up, and then the NPCs and the zombie act.
Amylarn
 player, 135 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Wed 23 May 2007
at 04:39
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amlarn knows that the giant zombie is an excellent distraction. So far it has kept Durken from focusing the majority of his attention on herself and her friends. And given the fact that the Shark has managed to keep standing this long proves he is more than a capable swordsman. Amy plans to stop him from standing very shortly. By now another dagger has appeared in the hands of Marl Shark and he flicks this one toward his brother as before. But, unlike before, Amylarn got in a hurry and threw the blade far too soon!

04:26, Today: Amylarn rolled 5 using 1d10+4. Trown dagger attack. – BOTCH!
DM Mike
 GM, 1091 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Sat 2 Jun 2007
at 03:14
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amy's attack goes unnoticed as her blade falls far short of her target - or anyone else in the basement.
Durken Shark (NPC)
 NPC, 8 posts
Sat 2 Jun 2007
at 03:35
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
His sword flashing out, the big Shark brother kunges for the shambling zombie.  As fast as the Shark is and as slow as the zombie is, the blonde man can still not hit the thing.

Ah, Tymora and Talona!  Why won;'t this thing fall?!?!
DM Mike
 GM, 1094 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Sat 2 Jun 2007
at 03:42
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Mumbling the last words of the spell on his parchment scroll, Ardo's eyes start to glow and his skin takes on a goldish tint.

A second later a blinding bolt of lightning lashes out, striking the undead abomination in its back.

Bits of flesh and bone are sheared away as the hot white bolt rips through the monster.

It buckles, shakes, and then falls.

But it does not stop...
DM Mike
 GM, 1095 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Sat 2 Jun 2007
at 03:49
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Shaeria has to move fast before she is flattened byt he falling zombie.  She makes for the stairs at the last second, safe.

She grips her glowing holy symbol close, realizing from the stain on her chest that bits of the zombie's flesh are still clinging to the holy symbol.


The zombie flails about, one of its arms hanging totally limp and unmoving, and its legs no longer under control of whatever brain activity is still in its head.

With its one good arm it lands a hard blow against Durken's legs, bringing the big man down.

Durken's chin hits the floor hard, knocking a tooth out, and the wind from the big man.

Both the thug and the zombie look weak and pathetic.

Both look near their last leg, too.

===========================

OOC:  This is it, guys and gals!

Make it good!

Bethany
 player, 89 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Sat 2 Jun 2007
at 04:57
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Weaving in and out of the creatures reach Bethany slashes forward and misses something fierce.  Cursing under her breath she reacts to how everyone else is doing with the spells and swords and damage and she tries to slash once more in a hopes to kill the creature.


==========================

FROM DM:

Summoning the grace and speed of her bloodline, Bethany finally connects blade to dead flesh and she shaves off a good half foot of grey and white flesh from the zombie's mid-section.

The thing falters for an instant, then continues to lashs out as desperpately as he can, as if he knows his time on this plane is soon at an end.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:33, Fri 08 June 2007.

Drake Debonn
 player, 315 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  19/14/13
 31/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Sat 2 Jun 2007
at 15:08
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake is quickly back and on top of the zombie. Durken doesn't look like a threat at the moment.  Drake slams his sword through the undead, but with the thing in such shambles, it's hard to tell if the strike does alot of damage or not.



=========================

FROM DM:

Following Bethany's attack by a mere second, Drake manages to slow the monster even more by hacking off a small bit of its left thigh.

The zombie reminds you of an old man, out of breath from having run or carried a heavy burden.

But why won't the damn things FALL?!?

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:38, Fri 08 June 2007.

Amylarn
 player, 138 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 4 Jun 2007
at 06:32
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The disguise magic Amylarn had been using finally dropped away. She decided there was no more use for it at that moment and let it go as she drew a shiny rapier from her hip. The blonde with the rather plain clothes moves to stand over Durken holding the tip of her blade near the downed man's throat. "I think this would be a fine time for you to sit still mister Shark. How does that sound to you?"

OOC: I think this action would count as an intimidation roll.
06:31, Today: Amylarn rolled 24 using 1d20+10. Intimidate Durken.

DM Mike
 GM, 1096 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Fri 8 Jun 2007
at 03:43
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

Replies in posts above.


Durken, used to action and not words, starts to rise, but when he hears that subtle growl in Amy's voice and feels the cold tip of her blade against his hot skin, he swallows hard and sits down.

I could do that thing in, I think.  Looks like it is on its last leg.

The big man turns and looks up at Amylarn, a strange look, a pleading look of contrition is in his blazing blue eyes.

That thing is not at all what Constance planned it to be.  It was supposed to be a thing of power, yes, but not grotesque.  And it was to be under her control, to do her bidding, not like this mindless freak of thing.

========================

OOC: We are SO CLOSE to the thing "dying", and I do not want an NPC to be the one to fell the thing, so anyone can post an action after my next post.

The thing gets one last chance to whack at someone, though.

DM Mike
 GM, 1097 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Fri 8 Jun 2007
at 03:49
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Well, so much for that.

------------------

Lifting one of its ham-like fists high, the zombie tries to pound Bethany, but she is much too agile for it, and she easily moves aside.

The zombie's attack makes it over-step and it falls to one knee, its head lolling to the left, then the right, as if its neck has gone so weak that it can not support the weight of the skull within the head.

A wheezing, almost breathe-like sound leaves the thing.  To Amylarn it sounds almost like laughter, but to Drake it sounds a bit like pleading.  To Bethany it sounds like a feeble attempt at speech, and Shearia swears she hears it as crying.
Bethany
 player, 90 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Fri 8 Jun 2007
at 03:55
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Seeing the beast fall to its knee Bethany smiles at its haphazard attack and lashes out towards the creatures neck, head or shoulders.  She connects well and drives her blade in.  Twisting the fine steel and then slashing out away towards the air she does her best to harm the creature to the best of her ability.

WOOOT I hit!!!
Drake Debonn
 player, 316 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  19/14/13
 31/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Fri 8 Jun 2007
at 14:11
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake thinks the beast is pleading, but the only way he can help it is to end it's time here.  The thing continues to flail around, making a good hit hard. Drake swings down upon it again, as Bethany makes her strike
Amylarn
 player, 139 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Fri 8 Jun 2007
at 18:51
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
DM Mike:
I could do that thing in, I think.

Looks like it is on its last leg.That thing is not at all what Constance planned it to be.  It was supposed to be a thing of power, yes, but not grotesque.  And it was to be under her control, to do her bidding, not like this mindless freak of thing.

Amylarn kept cold eyes focused on Durken as if she could hold him down with nothing more than a stare. The point of her rapier made it easier of course. "My companions are perfectly capable of handling that abomination without your interference mister Shark." She resisted the urge to look over and see if they were really doing all right or not. If she broke eye contact, Durken might try to get away. "And as for Ilithrane, I could not care less what your black magic woman had planned. The results are what matters. Now close your mouth and still your tongue, else I cut it out!"
DM Mike
 GM, 1098 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 12 Jun 2007
at 00:19
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Bethany feels her attack hit home and the zombie - now the size of a slender human male, though its features are still twisted and contorted - falls face-down to the blood-coated sooty floor of the slaughter house.

One loud moan leaves its slack mouth and a single heave is seen leaving its shattered chest.

Then a thick black substance akin to tar and smelling of sulfur and rot dribbles out of the many open wounds on the thing's body.

Ardo comes to stand near Durken, whose mouth is agape.

The older man stands silent, surveying the basement.

The tall Shark brother, heedless of Amy's threat, can not stop talking.  It is clear something in his mind has snapped.

Never meant to be like this...Constance...she said it would be a thing of beauty!  That we...that we could control it!

Yes, and it would do our bidding and it would ... it would help us rule this place, and then we could amass power and wealth...

Yes, and then ove on to bigger cities up and down the coast...


Seeing Ardo, Durken rises and grasps at the mage's robe.

Tell them!  Tell themt he glory that would be ours!!

Ardo shakes his head in resignation and pity.

He looks to you all and speaks quietly.

It is as Durken says.  Constance said we could control the creature, that it would be a powerful thrall that we could make do our bidding.

I know not if it is your fault for coming here and killing Constance as she was about to finish the ceremony of rising or if her magicks were flawed.  It makes little difference now.

Her notes and items are over there in a chest.  Take them if you would.  We can not stop you.


Durken looks about with wild wide eyes.

Marl!  He...he was just here!  He was a traitor!  Him!  It is his fault!  He...he was always the weakest one!

Like a mad bull, Durken breaks away from Amylarn and he charges this was and that in the basement looking for his brother - the one Amylarn immitated so well a few minutes ago.

===============================
DM Mike
 GM, 1101 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 12 Jun 2007
at 00:41
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Finally calming Durken down or subduing him, all that is left to do is look through the chest Ardo points out, and then alert the town's authorities about what went on in the Shark Brothers' slaughterhouse and tannery.

--------------------

Contents of the chest:   (Gamespeak is in yellow below.)

The sturdy chest has ornate carvings in the wood that depict hands, both make and female, clutching at chains, locks, and skulls.

The iron bands around the chest have runes etched into them, but Ardo assures you that none have magical meaning.

Trusting him, you see him reach into Constance's robe and pull out a stout iron key.

He opens the chest and stands back from it.

Inside you see the following:

A velvet sack about the size of a big man's fist. Inside are several jewels and gems worth a total of 1,000 GPs.  There are also gold pieces (250) and several pieces of jewelry (a necklace worth 50 GPs, a ring with a ruby in it worth 100 GPs, and 2 bracelets worth 30 GPs each - nothing in this sack is magical).

There is a small wooden box with a stylized puff of smoke carved into the top of it.  There is a tiny clasp that holds the lid on the box, but no lock.  The box contains 4 uses of Dust of Appearance.

A slender rod made of some hard wood is in the chest.  Carved into the dark rod are bees - hundreds of bees.  This is a rod of my own creation.  It summons a swarm of bees that fills a 20' by 20' square for 10 rounds.  There are 8 uses in the rod.  There is no command word.   You just point and wish the bees to appear as a standard action.

Inside a padded black sack are four glass vials.  Each has a metal and wire stopper.  Potions: Cure Serious Wounds, Delay Poison, Remove Disease, Neutralize Poison.

Three stones are in a small black bag.  When removed from the bag, eachs tone lights up an area like a torch would.  They have Continual Light cast on them.



More to come.
DM Mike
 GM, 1102 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 12 Jun 2007
at 01:08
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Once Durken Shark is brought to justice and the plot to bring the Silent Killer back to "life" as some new and powerful form of undead is uncovered, the town of Iliptur rewards you with items from Durken's possessions, as is the law in their town.

+ 2 longsword, MW short shord, MW light crossbow with 20 bolts, oil of Barkskin, +2, and 500 GPs.

You are also called Heroes of the Town and as such, food and lodging are free for you for a month.

You rest and recuperate for part of that month, but something Ardo told you when last you saw him (I leave it up to you to decide his fate) haunts you:

Constance Illithane had powerful forces working with her, maybe even commanding her.  These forces are centered in and around Waterdeep, far to the north and west.  Mages and clerics in the City of Splendors helped her in casting the powerful ritual spell to bring forth possibly devilish or demonic powers in the undead she was creating from  the body of the dread Silent Killer.

A clay token is found on the bottom of the chest.  Ardo thinks it will teleport someone and any who touch the person to Waterdeep.  He overheard Constance and Durken talk about such a token, and none was found on her body or in her home.

Her family is so disgraced that they take the majority of their possessions and flee Iliptur in the deepest part of the night, leaving for parts unknown.

The estate is soon ransacked and ruined.

The Shark Brothers who were found innocent of all knowledge of the small cult and its activities have a hard time attracting business to their blighted slaughterhouse and tannery.

And you are left to wonder what your next adventure will be...

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:09, Tue 12 June 2007.

Bethany
 player, 91 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Tue 12 Jun 2007
at 01:30
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
After the loot had been divided between everyone Bethany sat down in hopes that others will come and talk of the adventures they plan on now.  Friendships had been forged and friendship were hard to make in these day and ages.  When everyone had shown up she greeted each in respect and pointed to her gear that was packed.  Friends, it was a honor to fight next to you and to vanquished all that evil that plagued the city.  Perhaps one day in the future we will fight side by side once more.  Taking a drink and holding it for a moment as if to taste all the sweetness of the wine that the city had given them in the last few weeks she goes back to her talking.  I will be leaving this city and though the evil seems to draw back to Waterdeep, the city is not for me and I plan on traveling far to the north.  I have heard rumors of something that peeks my interest in Icewind Dale.  So at the end of the month I will bid you all farewell.  Sitting down she ponders information she had gathered over the last few weeks.  And when everyone else had said what they wanted she tapped on the table to get the attention and spoke again.  I have talked with the city as well about the ransacked house and would like to purchase the place for my future to retire with.  I am just a bit short on how much is needed and would like to know if any of you would perhaps go in on buying the place and getting it livable once again.  If you do agree to assist me in that aspect I would double your contribution in the near future and buy your share eventually.  I just wanted you all to know what I had found out.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:50, Tue 12 June 2007.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 80 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Tue 12 Jun 2007
at 05:44
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
In the time after their adventure had ended, Elodeir proved to be reclusive and silent, though at times, he would speak of terrible nightmares which had haunted his nights ever since they defeated the necromancer and her creature.  What he did not tell, however, was that in the middle of the nightmares, there was something else - whispers of power, power he would only have to reach out in order to seize.  Power which knew no limits.  And, most importantly, power which was his, simply for being who he was - but, Elodeir wondered, if that was true, then just who was he?

He did not care too much about who Constance had been working with, though, but he did make it clear that he intended to travel to Waterdeep using the clay token - he needed to get away, he said, and it seemed like as good a way to do so as any.
Drake Debonn
 player, 317 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  19/14/13
 31/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 12 Jun 2007
at 12:56
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake is glad for the bonds he formed on the Dragon Coast, but he feels his future calling him onward. He is somewhat upset that Bethany, has chose to go North and he almost offers to join the women, but he holds his desires.

"I have been in this place too long and have fought too much, for too little. My greatest reward are the friends I have gained." because like Bethany, Drake knows that it is a rarity to have done so.

"I will go to Waterdeep, to continue to chase my future." the fighter offers. He does not know or expect if others will go, but if they do, they will have a friend with them.
Shaeria Moonshadow
 player, 42 posts
Wed 13 Jun 2007
at 02:10
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Shaeria made her desires to go to Waterdeep known and then told the others where she could be found when they were ready to make the trip.  She spent her time alone, besieged by nightmares of the horrid creature, nightmares which she prayed would cease quickly.  She found solace in Corellon's love and patience, but the nightmares did not yet cease.  Perhaps they stayed to remind her what she fought for in Corellon's name.
Amylarn
 player, 141 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Sun 17 Jun 2007
at 19:44
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
DM Mike:
Durken looks about with wild wide eyes.

Marl!  He...he was just here!  He was a traitor!  Him!  It is his fault!  He...he was always the weakest one!

Like a mad bull, Durken breaks away from Amylarn and he charges this was and that in the basement looking for his brother - the one Amylarn immitated so well a few minutes ago.

Amylarn had been hard pressed to keep her blade off of Durken Shark’s tongue that day. She had intended to follow through on her threat. But she had reigned in her darker nature and simply watched the crazed man race about the basement of the tannery searching for his brother. She smiled to herself at a bit of irony. Amy had warned Marl that Durken would probably turn against him. However she had not planned to cause the betrayal herself.


After things have calmed down and the various legal issues resolved, Amylarn seeks out Ardo. She thinks he got off light and doesn't hesitate telling him so. The young woman explains to Ardo that she is content to leave him alone since he did help the adventurers and did not put up any real resistance to them. But Amylarn adds a condition to his freedom. Some day someone will come to Ardo and demand his help. They will remind him that he owes a debt Amylarn and her friends. When that happens, Ardo is to help the individual, no questions asked. There was an unspoken threat in Amy's words. She did not tell him specifically what would happen if he refused to help. To her mind, anything that Ardo could imagine would probably be worse than an actual threat she held over him.


Amylarn was already a resident in Iliptur and had no need for the free lodging offered by the city. However she found herself spending more and more time with her new friends and less at the dress shop where she worked. Soon Seewick Bendor, her mentor, sat her down for a talk. He was already aware of everything that had happened to Amy so there was only to decide how to handle her immediate future. After apologizing for being absent from the shop so much, Amylarn admitted she wanted to go to Waterdeep. Most of the adventurers were going there and she had always wanted to see the City of Splendors.

Seewick accepted her apology and told her he was not surprised. Obviously he could not stop her from leaving, so Seewick decided to make use of the situation. He asked Amylarn to take some samples and drawings with her and try to find some of Bendor's old contacts. Perhaps she could establish a trade agreement for a shop in Waterdeep to sell Bedor's dresses there. Perhaps those contacts would have other needs that Amylarn could help them with and vice versa.

Things were looking up for the blonde tailor's assistant. She ate well and slept better and even felt generous enough to loan Bethany some funds toward her real estate purchase

This message was last edited by the player at 19:46, Sun 17 June 2007.

DM Mike
 GM, 1114 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 19 Jun 2007
at 23:07
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

Looks like we can soon close this thread down and move on to Waterdeep (RoA Adventures 1, Group 1).

Do you buy he estate, Bethany?

Everyone except Bethany is moving on to Waterdeep?