Dragon Coast: A Killer's Funeral.   Posted by DM Mike.Group: 0
DM Mike
 GM, 1034 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Mon 12 Mar 2007
at 04:10
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Bethany appreciates the harm her arrows can do to human flesh as she pulls hers from the man's throat.

She is fast enough to apply pressure to the wound and wrap a cloth around it to stop the bleeding.

The man may yet live, but his voice will be forever changed.

He grips his throat and backs away from the cold eyes of the woman who saved him.

=========================

OOC:

The guard will live and he is silenced, too weak to really raise any alarm, should he want to in the first place.

Time to move on.


===========================

You look down the stairway, listening intently.  You hear low murmuring sounds and see torchlight dancing off the ceiling.  Forms are moving slowly down below.
Amylarn
 player, 113 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Mon 12 Mar 2007
at 04:51
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn had hoped to gain some information from the wounded guard. Seeing how weak he was and the strain it took just to nod a her, it was clear he was in no shape to answer questions. She turned back to her companions and drew them close, speaking in whispers. "This magic will last maybe 20 more minutes. Long enough for me to sow confusion downstairs." She was talking fast to save time. "I say we should move in swiftly, boldly, and try to take Ilithrane prisoner first. Once we have a blade pressed to their leader's neck as we will have some leverage. The only problem is that we do not know how many are down there. If anyone has another idea, tell it quickly." As usual, Amy had a couple of specific ideas about how to proceed, but did not want to railroad the others into her plan.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:21, Mon 12 Mar 2007.

DM Mike
 GM, 1035 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Mon 12 Mar 2007
at 21:58
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

So far about one minute has passed since the guard first appeared, got whacked by the arrow, and Amylarn came out in her magical disguise, the guard was healed, etc.

Bethany
 player, 72 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Mon 12 Mar 2007
at 22:03
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Nodding to the order from the lady in charge Bethany smiles as she notches the arrow she had just taken out of the mans neck.  Knowing his voice to be ruined for what she hoped was forever she hoped that the man would learn to respect the women of this city and he goes home to be with his wife and children if he has any.  Slinking down into the compound she listens as best as she can for signs of anyone else coming.  With Amylarn behind her she hoped that if anyone comes around the corner they would see her and think that she was being escorted to the meeting that these villians had.

OOC: I would like to if we have time leaving take 1 tooth from the man I killed on my own.  It is just a minor thing heh heh.

==================================

FROM DM:

Bethany hears only soft voices from the room below.  She also smells something...foul down there.  Rotted flesh mixed with wax and burnt herbs.  And the thick smell of blood.  A LOT of blood.

OOC:

Either give the guy a kick in the mouth and knock a tooth out or get something like pliers (there are several within reach for breaking bones and such here) and yank one out.  It will take a round.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:56, Tue 20 Mar 2007.

Drake Debonn
 player, 293 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 13 Mar 2007
at 00:34
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake contemplates whether he should swap his sword for his bow as well. It would give them a quick attack, but he doubts he will have time for swap, once things get nasty. Instead Drake prepares sword and shield and heads down with the others, letting Amy lead.

OOC: Sorry Bethany, but you didn't take out the other guard by yourself, I think Drake's sword prepped him a little for you, but he has no need for teeth :)
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 54 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Tue 13 Mar 2007
at 13:07
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
"If you are confident that you can pull this off, then I say we go for it," Elodeir replied as he replaced the bolt he had fired off earlier, before whispering a quiet prayer to Tymora for their success.
Amylarn
 player, 114 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 13 Mar 2007
at 15:54
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
ĒConfidance has never been a problem for me, Elodeir. Plus I have the luck of two halflings.Ē The human winked at Elodeir and turned back to the stairs. Clearing her mind and focusing on what she knows about Constance Illithrane. She concentrates on the way the necromancer acted and sounded in the times Amy had observed her. Keeping these things in the forefront of her thoughts, Amylarn led the rest of the group down the stairs and quickly surveyed the proceedings to see how best to interrupt things.

================================

FROM DM:

A Peform check would be needed to see how well you mimic the noble woman's voice and mannerisms and then a Bluff check would be needed to pull something off where the others down below may give moments' pause to figure things out.

You CAN take 10 with the Perform check up here, but that would take a good minute or two.

The DCs are a bit high, since the people down below with Constance know her well.  And one of them knows here very well.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:05, Tue 20 Mar 2007.

Shaeria Moonshadow
 player, 14 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2007
at 23:07
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Shaeria stays back, embarrassed at causing the problems and wanting to avoid causing anymore.
Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 55 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Tue 13 Mar 2007
at 23:17
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Stepping over towards Shaeria, Elodeir offered her a warm smile, and placed a hand on her shoulder.  "Do not worry, Lady Moonshadow.  Everything will be all right, I promise you," he whispered in elven, having sensed that something was troubling the priestess, before letting go of her shoulder, and moving to follow Amylarn.  "Just stay close to me, all right?" he added, glancing back at Shaeria from over his shoulder.
DM Mike
 GM, 1036 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 20 Mar 2007
at 03:10
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

Replies in some posts above.

-----------------------

You make last minute preparations and other more personal actions, making ready to head down the stairs.

----------------------

<green>OOC:

The stairs allow single-file passage.

Let me know how you are descending down into the room below. Who is in front, how you're pulling off your plan, etc.

Once that is all established, we'll get to the room below.

Amylarn
 player, 115 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 20 Mar 2007
at 18:49
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
DM Mike:
A Peform check would be needed to see how well you mimic the noble woman's voice and mannerisms and then a Bluff check would be needed to pull something off where the others down below may give moments' pause to figure things out.

You CAN take 10 with the Perform check up here, but that would take a good minute or two.

The DCs are a bit high, since the people down below with Constance know her well.  And one of them knows here very well.

OOC: So I need to roll a perform check and a bluff check. I can take one minute to prepare and then Take 10 on the perform check. Iíll do that. I donít know if you need the bluff check now or after we get down the stairs but Iíll roll it now for the sake of saving time.

Take 10 on Perform check = 12
13:41, Today: Amylarn rolled 17 using 1d20+10. Bluff: Imitate Ilithrane.

Thatís probably not good enough to fool everybody downstairs but Iíll play as if I think it is. Maybe itís enough to confuse them long enough to get the drop on them.  Drake has generously offered to act as body guard and Iím happy to take him up on it. My opinion is that I should lead the group and draw the attention of everyone downstairs. Iíll talk loud and forcefully. I think one or more of us should move to take Constance prisoner and then use her as a bargaining chip to get everyone else to surrender.  Iíve got a couple daggers that I can threaten her with but someone else might do better at that part.

Anyone else have comments?

Drake Debonn
 player, 296 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Wed 21 Mar 2007
at 13:17
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake takes an active roll in the planning. He has trouble escaping his past training, but it does serve him well at times.

"I don't normally like to brandish my sword, unnecessarily, but in this case I feel I should look the part and come with both ready beside "Lady Ilithrane".
I doubt that they will have any ranged weapons ready inside, so if we want the jump on them, many of you may want to prepare spell or weapon that we can utilize from a distance and with effectiveness"


Drake knows already what Bethany can do with a bow and hope the others are equally efficient.
DM Mike
 GM, 1037 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 27 Mar 2007
at 11:56
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The group finalizes their plans and then head down the dark stairs into the basement of the rendering plant.

The air gets thick with many smells, few of them pleasant.

You see in the dim light of two braziers that Constance is at the head of a long table.  On the table is a dead body, the body of a thin man with dark long hair, a tattoo on his chest, and stitched-up wounds.  From the description you've heard, this is the body of the killer!

Standing near Constance is Durkin Shark (to her right) and Ardo Surwin (to her left).  Both men are holding silver bowls of blood.  Consrance is weaving her hands over the head of the killer's body, murmuring arcane spells.  Black and red motes of misty light fall from her fingers and onto the body of the dead man.

Near the stairs are two other men, and while you can not make out their features from where you are, judging from the shade of his hair, one of them is one of the Shark brothers.  The other man is short enough to be a dwarf, but he does not seem stocky enough.

Putting your plan into action, you keep going down the stairs and Amylarn goes into her act of immitating Constance.
DM Mike
 GM, 1038 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Tue 27 Mar 2007
at 12:05
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
The men look up, surprise on their faces.

Wha..?

Hey, what goes on!

Constance blinks and looks up, her concentration on the spell she was casting shot.  A single large reddish globe of misty light falls from her hands onto the chest of the dead killer.

What is this?!  Who are you?  What are you doing here?

Then, realizing she should be acting instead of asking questions, she shouts out an order for the men to stop you while she moves for a round table next to the table on which the body rests.

Durkin shark seems unsure what do to, but Ardo is already moving, setting down the bowl of blood with great care on the table where Constance is reaching for something.

The two men near the botton of the stairs - the Shark brother and the stout short man - draw swords and ready for battle.

======================================

OOC:

Okay, you have a surprise round, and then win initiative!  Good work!

You can each post two rounds worth of actions.

Amylarn, your Bluff and RPing may take up those two rounds, so please post once, and I will let you know if you have other time to act.

Also, your Bluff roll was decent,a nd I will take that into account once I read your RP-based post.

No time for a map, but any of the people in the basement are in melee range of any of you.  But to move past the two men at the stairs would draw AoO from them.

Standing at the stairs, you can also get missle attacks off on Constance, Durken, or Ardo, too.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:54, Tue 27 Mar 2007.

Amylarn
 player, 116 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Tue 27 Mar 2007
at 18:47
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Amylarn forces herself to appear calm and unrushed. Upon being noticed she replies directly to Constance, ignoring the others for a moment. "What am I doing here? I am catching you in the act of impersonating me Emleea Neverseen." Catching the necromancer and her lackeys by surprise gives Amy a chance to wield her most potent weapon: confusion. She speaks with familiar authority and confidence. "I have waited long for this moment! Durkin, Ardo, stop her before she ensorcells you!  Drake, help them." She hopes that Drake's "obediance" to her will prompt Durkin and Ardo to respond the same way.

While everyone else acts, or stands around in confusion, Amylarn makes use of another secret she has been keeping. Using a Mage Hand spell she flicks her wrist to send the silver bowl of blood skittering off the table and toward the wall.

OOC: I'll spend the surprise round speaking and keeping everyone's attention on me. The next round I'll use the Mage Hand spell.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:48, Tue 27 Mar 2007.

Elodeir Nightjewel
 player, 57 posts
 Init: +3, AC 13/10/13
 HP: 15/17 Svs F:3/R:4/W:4
Tue 27 Mar 2007
at 19:34
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Stepping up right next to Amylarn, Elodeir pointed his finger directly towards Constance, and as he incanted the words to his spell, a blazing ray of fire streaked out, catching her in the side.  "You will surrender, and do so now, or you will burn for trying to impersonate Lady Ilithrane!" he called out, and readied himself to cast again should she choose against it.
Drake Debonn
 player, 297 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Tue 27 Mar 2007
at 19:36
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake head directly for Constance, hoping to push his way past the two sentries.

If there is trouble Drake will fight.

If Drake is stopped he will attack. No sense loosing the surprise. So I can't post my two actions, as of yet
DM Mike
 GM, 1039 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Thu 5 Apr 2007
at 04:20
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:  I have been gone for a long time, but am a bit dismayed to see that only three PCs have acted in the surprise round!

For lack of something better, I will say those who did not post had no real idea of how to help and held back, biding their time, but weapons ready to strike.

DM Mike
 GM, 1040 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Thu 5 Apr 2007
at 05:16
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Everyone is stunned by the twin Constance Illithanes, but Ardo seems to recover fastest.  His hand wraps around a black wood wand and he points it toward the "new" Constance - Amylarn.

Meanwhile Durken spills some of the blood from the silver bowl, a stream of it falling down onto the body of the silent killer.  That seems to frighten Constance, and her go to narrow slits.

But as she hisses a curse to her blond lover, Elodeir's scorching flames tear up her chest and into her face.

She falls to her knees screaming in pain and rage.

Kill them before all is lost!!

The sentries snap out of it and try to block Drake and Shaeria.

============================================

OOC: That was the surprise round.

The cult members show no sign of surrendering, so Elodeir lets loose with a second ray fo flames, killing Constance.

Durkin tries to step in the way of the ray, but Elodeir hits her square in the face and thoat, his aim uncanny, as if directed by the hand of a god!


===============================================

Ardo calls out for you all to halt or he will slay the false Constance.

The real constance falls face down into the blood-caked floor, her last words a wimper as she cries from pain.  Her thin hands claw at her hair as it starts to light on fire and she kicks and trembles as she dies on the floor.

Durkin calls her name out has he draws a wicked longsword, the blood from the silver bowl covering his hands, running down onto the hilt of the sword.

The sentries try to bully Shaeria and Drake, but the two are ready for them.

And from the shadows, Bethany attacks them as well.

And the body on the table starts to quiver and move, moans coming from it.

Constance's charred and bloody hand is on its forearm, her last spasm apparently throwing her hand up, connecting with the dead killer's pale flesh.

==============================================

OOC:

Bethany and Shaeria will post (I hope) as will Drake.

Amy can post dialogue and a reaction to Ardo.

All of Elodier's actions have been taken until next round.

The NPCs will act, then the PCs get their next round.

If Bethany and Shaeria do not post by the time I get back on, I will post for them.

Going great so far, folks!!

Drake Debonn
 player, 298 posts
 I: +7  AC/FF/TA  18/15/13
 30/31 HP  F/R/W : 5/4/1
Thu 5 Apr 2007
at 16:23
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Drake immediately attacks the stout fighter, not wanting to hurt the younger Shark brother.  Drake hopes that he doesn't want to be part of what is going on.

The sword is swift and accurate, as normal, and the blade cuts into his opponents side.


=================================

FROM DM:

The stout man lets out a loud grunt as blood spurts from the wound Drake dug into his left side.

His eyes narrow and he grits his teeth, saying nothing to Drake as he takes aim with his sword, ready to strike the fighter.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:44, Fri 06 Apr 2007.

Amylarn
 player, 117 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Thu 5 Apr 2007
at 17:53
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
ĒARDO!Ē The Constance who remains standing barks a command at the man across the room. ĒArdo, put that down at once! Emleea is dead.Ē Amy points at the dead necromancer to reinforce what she means. ĒShe is no longer a threat to you.Ē She continues down the steps and places herself behind Drake, taking cover from whatever Ardo plans to do with that wand. Amylarn draws a dagger and prepares herself to fling it at Ardo should he decide to ignore her commands.

=================================================

OOC:

Give me a Bluff check, and you KNOW the DC is high.

Want to use the Christmas 20 now?

;)

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:46, Fri 06 Apr 2007.

Bethany
 player, 76 posts
 Init: +2, AC/F/T:17/15/13
 HP: 11/16, F+5/R+5/W+4
Thu 5 Apr 2007
at 23:34
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
Round 1 - BOO!

As they enter and her mistress comands the others to listen to her and not the false one.  The reactions of the private body guards entering the room must be overwhelming to say the least and to not let anything go Bethany simply pulls her bow string fully back looking over the room with the point aimed at painfull and cripling points.  The blood has since dried and so it does not glisten as it would have a few moments ago.

Round 2 - FIGHT!

The bowl flies, the "Imposter screams as she dies", the others move in reaction and Bethany lets loose an arrow towards the mans arm that is holding the wand towards her mistress.  Before the first arrow had conected the second arrow is flying and is also aimed at the fool to threaten a friend of hers.
DM Mike
 GM, 1043 posts
  S H A Z A M !
Fri 6 Apr 2007
at 02:51
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
OOC:

Replies in posts above.

-------------------

Bethany's first arrow stikes the thin mage in his right shoulder, making him almost drop the black wand.  The shimmer of magic leaves the wand, Ardo's concentration shattered by the attack.

The pale body on the table takes in a deep, shuddering breath, the rasping noise so loud it grates your ears and so eerie it grates you nerves.

---------------------

OOC:

Calling Shaeria Moonshadow...

Calling Shaeria Moonshadow...

Shaeria Moonshadow
 player, 15 posts
Fri 6 Apr 2007
at 03:48
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
So sorry, Mike.  Rough couple of weeks...

Shaeria really didn't understand all that was going on yet, but she tried to follow the lead of the others as much as possible.  Finally making at least a little bit of sense of what is going on, she prepared to assist and protect Amylarn to the best of her ability, drawing her slender longsword and holding it loosely yet with a confidence that belied her nervousness due to her lack of knowledge.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:50, Fri 06 Apr 2007.

Amylarn
 player, 122 posts
 Init +2    AC 15/F13/T12
 HP13/17  F+1  R+5  W+2
Fri 6 Apr 2007
at 22:35
Re: Dragon Coast Adventure - "A Killer's Funeral"
DM Mike:
Give me a Bluff check, and you KNOW the DC is high.

OOC: What? Really? I didnít realize Iíd get another chance to roll it.

Iíve been thinking about this. Since the threat from Ardo was effectively neutralized by Bethanyís bow [Thanks Blondie! :D  ] I doubt much of anything would convince Ardo and the others to believe my bluff now. Iíll keep that Christmas 20 for now and use the dice roller.

18:31, Today: Amylarn rolled 17 using 1d20+10. Bluff check.

At this point thatís probably not good enough to fool ANYbody downstairs. So now Iím just waiting for the next round I think.