The North: Into The Lion's Den.   Posted by DM Kindred .Group: 0
DM Kindred
 GM, 214 posts
Tue 20 Feb 2007
at 21:15
Re: Into the Lion's Den
Daven: You find a secret compartment in the front of the alter.

Kalem: The alter gives off a magical aura but it doesn't seem to be coming from the altar itself.
Kalem Greycastle
 player, 26 posts
 HP 19/19 AC 20/18/12
 Init+2 Sv +2F/+3R/+3W
Tue 20 Feb 2007
at 21:17
Re: Into the Lion's Den
OOC:  Ooh, magical auras!

22:17, Today: Kalem Greycastle rolled 23 using 1d20+13. Spellcraft.
Daven Darkbane
 player, 87 posts
 Init:+3 AC:16/13/13
 HP:34/34 Saves:+1/3/1
Tue 20 Feb 2007
at 22:33
Re: Into the Lion's Den
daven quickly opens the secret compartment and looks at what might be inside.
Amras Telperien
 player, 319 posts
 HP 35/35 AC 16/13/13
 Ini +3 sv +5F/+7R/+3W
Thu 22 Feb 2007
at 10:16
Re: Into the Lion's Den
Amras watches as the two experts check out the alter.
Lianna
 player, 17 posts
Tue 27 Feb 2007
at 04:17
Re: Into the Lion's Den
Lianna doesn't stray far, but she does look around out of curiousity while waiting for Kalem and Daven to finish their tasks.
DM Kindred
 GM, 216 posts
Mon 5 Mar 2007
at 18:09
Re: Into the Lion's Den
Daven extracts a box from the altar. Inside is:

3 scrolls (Transmutation, Necromancy, Abjuration)
1 Ring (abjuration)
1 Wand (conjuration)

1 Bag (containing a mixture of coins totalling 200gp 75sp 200cp)

Also Kalem you notice glimmers of magic on the dead foes as well.
Kalem Greycastle
 player, 27 posts
 HP 19/19 AC 20/18/12
 Init+2 Sv +2F/+3R/+3W
Wed 7 Mar 2007
at 21:20
Re: Into the Lion's Den
"Right, the scrolls here are magical - one abjuration, a protective ward of some kind, most likely.  Then, there is one which includes the dark arts of Necromancy, which I have eschewed in my studies, so it will not be of any use to me any more than it would be to a farmer.  Then, there is one which just so happens to be from my area of expertise, as it is, Transmutations, commonly referred to as alterations and the like.  If you give me a few moments, I will try to decipher the writing upon them, but if I fail, I can divine the secrets to them in the morning. . ." Kalem explained, sounding much like a school-teacher at times, though he didn't know how well the others present, Lianna excluded, were familiar with the Art.


[OOC:  Spellcraft-checks to ID the scrolls (DC=20+Spell Level) - duration: 3 Full Round Actions to get all of them.

Transmutation scroll: 32
Conjuration scroll: 16 (fails)
Necromancy: 21]


"Then, the ring carries an aura of abjuration, as well - I would hazard a guess to it either being one of the ever-so-popular Rings of Protection, or perhaps one bestowing elemental resistances.  The wand bears an aura of conjuration, which is to say the school employed for summoning, translocation-magics, as well as magical healing.  And...  I think I sense something on the druid we fell, too!" he continued, and walked over to their fallen foes, scanning them for magic.
Lianna
 player, 18 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2007
at 01:33
Re: Into the Lion's Den
Lianna nodded knowingly and supportively as Kalem reported what he had found to the group.  When he was finished speaking, she smiled at him and hooked her arm through his while waiting for Daven to report on his finds.
Amras Telperien
 player, 320 posts
 HP 35/35 AC 16/13/13
 Ini +3 sv +5F/+7R/+3W
Thu 8 Mar 2007
at 08:10
Re: Into the Lion's Den
Leaving the investigation of the items to the experts Amras remains on alert,"If we can we should pack them away and see if we can find the boy." he says.
Madras
 player, 69 posts
 Init +0, AC 19/19/10
 HP 23/23, SV 4/1/6
Thu 8 Mar 2007
at 17:45
Re: Into the Lion's Den
Madras stays near the entrance of the chamber, only diverting his attention long enough to speak.  "I can carry those, if you want to keep them together until later.  Let's find the child, and hope we don't run into any more trouble along the way.  My magic's almost spent all I have left is a prayer to increase someone's stature, and a few minor effects.  All of my earth-shattering ones have been used already."
DM Kindred
 GM, 217 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2007
at 18:05
Re: Into the Lion's Den
The Druid is wearing a magical scimitar and the orc a magical chain shirt.
Kalem Greycastle
 player, 28 posts
 HP 19/19 AC 20/18/12
 Init+2 Sv +2F/+3R/+3W
Thu 8 Mar 2007
at 18:31
Re: Into the Lion's Den
Smiling softly at Lianna, Kalem leaned down to place a quick kiss on her lips, the way he looked at her telling her just how grateful he was, for everything.  Then, he looked up at the others again, and spoke;

"If we have time, we should bring with us the armor from the orc, and the sword from the druid - they are magical, so even if none of you want them for yourself, we should be able to get a decent price for them," Kalem explained, after making sure that there was nothing else magical in the area.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:07, Thu 08 Mar 2007.

Amras Telperien
 player, 321 posts
 HP 35/35 AC 16/13/13
 Ini +3 sv +5F/+7R/+3W
Fri 9 Mar 2007
at 10:53
Re: Into the Lion's Den
"Let us check round the other side of the pool. The boy has got to be around  here somewhere." says Amras looking over in that direction.
DM Kindred
 GM, 218 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2007
at 18:04
Re: Into the Lion's Den
The room is empty of people, or anything else of interest.
Yeamon
 player, 137 posts
 HP 27/32 *AC 20/17/20
 Init+7 Sv +6F/+7R/+6W
Sun 11 Mar 2007
at 09:59
Re: Into the Lion's Den
If you can still fight, we should search the rest of the cavern, quickly. If you're spent, gather up the items.

Yeamon ushers those ready for more to follow him to the unexplored recesses of the cave.
DM Kindred
 GM, 225 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2007
at 22:09
Re: Into the Lion's Den
The search of the cavern is uneventful and the party heads back after gathering up the loot, (in your next post just state hich items if any your character picks up.) you re-enter the area with the bones and the skeleton wearing the arms and armour.

Do you continue on or stop to examine the items again?
Madras
 player, 72 posts
 Init +0, AC 19/19/10
 HP 23/23, SV 4/1/6
Thu 15 Mar 2007
at 22:16
Re: Into the Lion's Den
Madras carefully folds up the armor, draping it over his backpack.  He struggles with the weight for a moment, then adjusts his stance to keep his balance.

[A heavy load won't really hinder me that much; if we want to go ahead and grab stuff off the skeleton, I'll play packmule.]
Kalem Greycastle
 player, 29 posts
 HP 19/19 AC 20/18/12
 Init+2 Sv +2F/+3R/+3W
Thu 15 Mar 2007
at 22:28
Re: Into the Lion's Den
OOC:  Kalem can carry the wand, ring and scrolls until we get them identified.  I'll have an IC post up tomorrow, I'm about to head off for bed now.
Amras Telperien
 player, 322 posts
 HP 35/35 AC 16/13/13
 Ini +3 sv +5F/+7R/+3W
Fri 16 Mar 2007
at 08:57
Re: Into the Lion's Den
"Let's take it with us. I will get it." says Amras walking up to the skeleton. "Kalem did you have a look at this before?"
Kalem Greycastle
 player, 30 posts
 HP 19/19 AC 20/18/12
 Init+2 Sv +2F/+3R/+3W
Tue 20 Mar 2007
at 07:34
Re: Into the Lion's Den
"No, give me a moment. . ." Kalem answered, and began casting the spell of magical sight again.
DM Kindred
 GM, 226 posts
Tue 20 Mar 2007
at 19:46
Re: Into the Lion's Den
Amras pauses whil Kalem does his scan.
Kalem Greycastle
 player, 31 posts
 HP 19/19 AC 20/18/12
 Init+2 Sv +2F/+3R/+3W
Fri 23 Mar 2007
at 12:03
Re: Into the Lion's Den
"Hm. . .  yes, it's magical, all right.  The entire room radiates necromancy, actually. . .  but it doesn't look like it's coming from a spell.  Interesting.  And, let's see. . .  the sword holds a moderate aura of evocation - it should be a potent magical blade.  The armor is also enhanced, with an abjuration-effect of similar strength. . .  but, there is something else!  Inside the armor, there is a faint aura of necromancy!  It could be an item dropped inside, or something more sinister - perhaps a spell-trap, set to go off if anyone touches the armor or blade?"
Madras
 player, 73 posts
 Init +0, AC 19/19/10
 HP 23/23, SV 4/1/6
Fri 23 Mar 2007
at 19:21
Re: Into the Lion's Den
"That," Madras adds, "or the skeleton inside had been animated before.  That would leave a trace behind, possibly for some time.  Go ahead and pick it up, I'll cover you."

[Readying an action to turn undead, just in case.]

This message was lightly edited by the player at 20:50, Fri 23 Mar 2007.

Kalem Greycastle
 player, 32 posts
 HP 19/19 AC 16/14/12
 Init+2 Sv +2F/+3R/+3W
Fri 23 Mar 2007
at 19:35
Re: Into the Lion's Den
"An aura of such low power as this one usually fades away within half a minute or so after the spell is cast, so I don't think that is the case here. . .  Let me just try something. . ." Kalem replied, and stepped over towards the set of armor, and carefully tried to remove the sword from it's grasp.
DM Kindred
 GM, 227 posts
Fri 23 Mar 2007
at 22:08
Re: Into the Lion's Den
Kalem walks over to the suit of armour and bends down grasping the sword by the hilt. The gautlet of the suit of armour closes around the hilt preventing him from taking it and the suit itself stands up and you can see the vague outline of an elf inhabitng it. [Elven]Why try you to steal my weapon human?

Madras