Moonsea: Sailing The Moonsea.   Posted by DM Scout.Group: 0
Palanhilion
 player, 49 posts
 Init:  +8  AC: 14/12/10
 HP: 21/21    F+2 R+4 W+4
Fri 26 Jan 2007
at 20:48
Re: Cleanup time!
OOC:
Total loot found:  6,500 GPs - split on five, that gives each of us 1,300 GPs.

Four flasks of Holy Water - worth 200 GPs.

Unknown wand - ?

Gems:  Two bloodstones, two blue quartz, an emerald, a malachite, a banded agate and a red spinel.

Two unidentified potions, which Palan could ID through a DC 25 Spellcraft check. . .
21:46, Today: Palanhilion rolled 30 using 1d20+12. Spellcraft.


Appraise-check for the gems:
21:47, Today: Palanhilion rolled 13 using 1d20+7. Appraise.
Feel free to join in with Aid Another-attempts.  :-)

Kylie
 player, 182 posts
 Init +4  AC17/Fl15/Tch14
 HP 23/29    F+3/R+9/W+2*
Fri 26 Jan 2007
at 22:57
Re: Cleanup time!
OOC:  Kylie tried, but failed with only a 7.  Sorry.
DM Kool
 GM, 84 posts
 The Overmind of all
 things creepy-crawly
Fri 26 Jan 2007
at 23:22
Re: Cleanup time!
Wow.  Thanks, Palan, lots of help.  I still need to work out the Appraise DCs though....  I should have them by the time you're done rolling.
DM Mike
 GM, 1007 posts
 ...
Sat 27 Jan 2007
at 04:10
Re: Cleanup time!
Taking a last look around the chamber, Kylie's eyes go wide up.  Out of reflex, she calls out to Korgan, and that attracts the attention of the others.

Her blade out, the lass points to a fissure in the west wall of the chamber.

She hides behind Korgan has the broad-shouldered man looks within.

There is a fat, bloated, pale-skinned creature that looks to be a cross between a spider and a monkey.  It has stringy white hair (or is it webbing) and whisps of what was once a beard on its blunt chin.

Four black eyes poke out in odd directions from its white-yellow forehead.

Tiny hands are held up as if to say "don't hit me".  From those hands - hands that have seven fingers each - are strung strands of webs that look to be made of fine smoke.  They lead out into the chamber, out to touch the heads of the foes you have just slain.  And as soon as you see them, they fade from view.

As the strands fade, the spider-thing's eyes close and it shudders/

Six stout legs jut out from the thing's dense round body.

Its voice is whisper quiet and full of spit as it speaks.

Fought so well, you did.  Killed those I thought would be kill-less...

Strong they were, but not strong enough, my puppets were.

End of time for me here, I know.  You have won, and my nights...they end now.

The things beyond will go back to their people, the dwarves.  But tell them well that it was their meddling into our lands, their killing of their young that brought us to take their ancestors' magic...their lust for what was ours forced the killing of their kind...

Not enough killing, but it was all...

all...

I could do...


With that, the strange creature dies.

Behind it you see four stone items.  Korgan has to move the bloated thing's body to get the dwarven artifacts out from the fissure.

One is a hammer of marble, one is a wheel with runes carved in it depicting each of the dwarven gods, one is a necklace of mithril, silver, and gold with Moradin's holy symbol carved into a diamond, and one is a clay tablet with tiny runes telling of the creation of the dwarven race.

It will take all of Korgan's strength to carry the items, and the going will be slow indeed!

=========================================

OOC: We can move ahead to your return to the surface when you like.  Let us - me and DM Kool - know.
Quinlan Fairfellow
 player, 39 posts
 18/18 AC/FF/T 17/14/13
 Init: +3 F/R/W: 3/8/0
Sat 27 Jan 2007
at 12:25
Re: Cleanup time!
Quinlan helps Korgan with the load. I'm not that strong, but I normally travel light. I should be able to carry one of the artefacts

Any idea on which way to go to reach the surface?

Quinlan rolls 11 (appraise)

=================================

FROM DM:

We'll cut to the chase and say you get to the surface with no real trouble.

It takes at least 4 days to do so, but once there, it feels good to see the sun and grass again!

----------------

The Appraise check is covered by DM Kool below.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:42, Sat 03 Feb 2007.

Korgan Nkopno
 player, 699 posts
 HP 57/89  AC 17/17/14
 Ini +2, Sv +9F/+4R/+2W
Sat 27 Jan 2007
at 21:55
Re: Cleanup time!
"We could go back the way we came.", Korgan says and grunts at he lifts the artefactys onto his back. "That way is cleared. We must get these things to the dwarves."
Quinlan Fairfellow
 player, 40 posts
 18/18 AC/FF/T 17/14/13
 Init: +3 F/R/W: 3/8/0
Sun 28 Jan 2007
at 11:41
Re: Cleanup time!
Sounds like a plan. You should let Rayorr take a look at those wounds before we go though, they look quite nasty.
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 701 posts
 HP 57/89  AC 17/17/14
 Ini +2, Sv +9F/+4R/+2W
Sun 28 Jan 2007
at 13:42
Re: Cleanup time!
Korgan nods, happy that somebody else mentioned it so he wouldn't have to himself.
Rayorr
 player, 33 posts
 Ini:+1, AC:19 FF:17 T:12
 HP:24/24, Svs:F+6/R+2/W+7
Mon 29 Jan 2007
at 03:14
Re: Cleanup time!
[OOC: Rayorr will cast cure moderate on Korgan]

22:13, Today: Rayorr rolled 14 using 2d8+3. Cure moderate Korgan.
Quinlan Fairfellow
 player, 41 posts
 18/18 AC/FF/T 17/14/13
 Init: +3 F/R/W: 3/8/0
Mon 29 Jan 2007
at 10:51
Re: Cleanup time!
Quinlan takes a long look around the scene of the battle, and towards the resting place of the spider creature. His battle lust drained, the place now seem desolate and filled with death and decay. He shudders slightly and feel a strong longing to get out of the underworld and see the sky once more.
Yeah, we're done here. Let's see the dwarves and head out into the open once more.
Palanhilion
 player, 51 posts
 Init:  +8  AC: 14/12/10
 HP: 21/21    F+2 R+4 W+4
Mon 29 Jan 2007
at 11:08
Re: Cleanup time!
"Yes, let us, indeed.  The Underdark is no place for decent people. and the sooner we see the sun above us again, the better," Palan agreed, and gazed longingly upwards, seeing naturally only rocks.  "I think I shall be moving on and away from this cold landscape as soon as I get up to the surface again. . .  It aches my heart, being so far from Evermeet.  If any of you plan on travelling west soon, then I would be glad to accompany you for the trip - I know not how far I intend to go, but I have always wanted to see the Sword Coast before I finally go home again," he then said, adressing everybody and nobody at the same time, almost.
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 702 posts
 HP 57/89  AC 17/17/14
 Ini +2, Sv +9F/+4R/+2W
Mon 29 Jan 2007
at 14:31
Re: Cleanup time!
"If we all agree on that let's get back up into the sun.", Korgan says and picking up everything they found he starts back the way they came from.
Kylie
 player, 184 posts
 Init +4  AC17/Fl15/Tch14
 HP 23/29    F+3/R+9/W+2*
Mon 29 Jan 2007
at 15:48
Re: Cleanup time!
Kylie nodded and tried to help Korgan in any way she could as they prepared to leave this awful place.  To the newcomer, Palan, she said, "I was going to go to Waterdeep and would welcome the company if you would like to travel together part of the way."
Palanhilion
 player, 52 posts
 Init:  +8  AC: 14/12/10
 HP: 21/21    F+2 R+4 W+4
Mon 29 Jan 2007
at 16:02
Re: Cleanup time!
"Waterdeep?  Now, from what I've been told, that's a sight to see, for sure, and one of man's greatest cities.  It would be my honor to accompany you to Waterdeep, Kylie Moonwhisper," Palanhilion replied, and offered the lady a smile.
Rayorr
 player, 34 posts
 Ini:+1, AC:19 FF:17 T:12
 HP:24/24, Svs:F+6/R+2/W+7
Mon 29 Jan 2007
at 19:53
Re: Cleanup time!
"I'm afraid that while Waterdeep is enticing, my calling lies elsewhere."
Quinlan Fairfellow
 player, 43 posts
 18/18 AC/FF/T 17/14/13
 Init: +3 F/R/W: 3/8/0
Tue 30 Jan 2007
at 07:44
Re: Cleanup time!
The faint glow returns to Quinlans eyes as he listens to his companions travel plans. Waterdeep? Be sure to keep your weapons close and your purses closer! I'm not ready to head back west just yet, or perhaps the coast isn't ready for my return...
DM Kool
 GM, 88 posts
 The Overmind of all
 things creepy-crawly
Tue 30 Jan 2007
at 20:58
Re: Cleanup time!
About those gem values...  I'll let you use the one appraise check for the lot, mainly because I don't want to have to go through rolling for each gem.

Banded Agate - 9gp
Blue Quartz - 9gp
Blue Quartz - 11gp
Malachite - 11gp
Bloodstone - 60gp
Bloodstone - 80gp
Red Spinel - 90gp
Emerald - 900gp

Palanhilion
 player, 54 posts
 Init:  +8  AC: 14/12/10
 HP: 21/21    F+2 R+4 W+4
Tue 30 Jan 2007
at 21:16
Re: Cleanup time!
OOC:  Total value of the gold and gems put together: 7670 GPs.  This means we all get 1534 GPs worth of it each.


I've got a suggestion - Palan takes all the gems (worth a total of 1170 GPs if appraised right), as well as the wand, in the hopes that it'll be one he can use.

Everyone else gets 1625 GPs, plus one vial of Holy Water (50 GPs).  Then, I suggest we leave the potions for Quinlan as the only one to remain in the region, and if he can't use them himself, perhaps he can sell them, or something like that?


Anyone disagree?

DM Kool
 GM, 89 posts
 The Overmind of all
 things creepy-crawly
Tue 30 Jan 2007
at 21:18
Re: Cleanup time!
You've done this before, haven't you?
Quinlan Fairfellow
 player, 44 posts
 18/18 AC/FF/T 17/14/13
 Init: +3 F/R/W: 3/8/0
Wed 31 Jan 2007
at 07:47
Re: Cleanup time!
Sounds fair enough! Quinlan casts a longing look at the wand, but shrugs. His experience with things of magic is no where near his curiosity of them.
I'd probably end up hurting myself he mutters.
Any indication of what the potions do?
DM Mike
 GM, 1013 posts
 ...
Sun 4 Feb 2007
at 00:13
Re: Cleanup time!
OOC: Reply in one of Quinlan;s posts above.

The travelling merchant (see the OOC thread) offers to identify the wand for 150 gold pieces.

He can ID the potions by tasting them, and asks for 50 GPs each to do so.

OOC: And DM Kool will determine what the items are, should you agree to these costs.

======================================

The dwarven cleric is thankful beyond words, and when you tell him what the odd spider-creature said about the dwarves, he nods slowly and his face goes a bit pale.

He asks you to rest for the night, and in the morning there is a feast for you.

A dozen dwarves, all old and weathered by decades of combat, join you and listen to your tales of the time in the Underdark.  They share what they know with you, as well, and when it is time for you to leave, they offer you gifts.

--------------------------------------

OOC:

ALL PCs get 2 ranks in the skill "Knowledge: Dungeoneering".  If a DM in another region ask about these ranks, tell them DM Mike awarded them as a special end-of-adventure gift.

The dwarven gifts:

Korgan You are given a small iron horn crafted to look like a dragomn with an opemn mouth.  The cleric smiles as he hands it over. I used this in my younger days to fool many an orc or troll.  And I can' carry a tune in a bucket!  May it help you, too.  It is a Horn of Fog.

Kylie  The cleric gives you a fine silver and bone locket.  The gods have blessed this to help protect its wearer.  My sister once wore it, and she'd be honored to have you wear it, lass.  The locket is an Amulet of Natural Armor, +1.

Quinlan Fairfellow  You are given a Hat of Disguise.  The old cleric shakes his head and says quietly It must be hard to get through life with such dark skin and light hair...

Palanhilion  The cleric hands over a quiver crafted with stiff dark brown leather and bands of copper.  You'l be surprised at how much you can store in this thing!   It is a Quiver of Ehlonna.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:25, Mon 05 Feb 2007.

Korgan Nkopno
 player, 707 posts
 HP 75/104  AC 17/17/14
 Ini +2, Sv +9F/+5R/+3W
Sun 4 Feb 2007
at 02:12
Re: Cleanup time!
Korgan thanks the old dwarves with a big smile. "An honorable gift indeed, as is often seen from the dwarves.", he says. "I shall use it wisely."
Kylie
 player, 189 posts
 Init +5  AC20/Fl20/Tch14
 HP 41/41    F+4/R+11/W+3*
Mon 5 Feb 2007
at 02:27
Re: Cleanup time!
Kylie accepts her gift with a thankful nod and small smile, shy as usual and already excited about the prospect of seeing Waterdeep.
Quinlan Fairfellow
 player, 49 posts
 18/18 AC/FF/T 17/14/13
 Init: +3 F/R/W: 3/8/0
Mon 5 Feb 2007
at 14:29
Re: Cleanup time!
Quinlan says nothing, his throat to swelled to speak. He simply nods at the clerics words and is unusually still for a while, holding the hat in both hands not taking his eyes from it.
He then hops up and performs a series of complicated jumps, rolls and balancing acts, all the while singing and laughing. (OOC: Take ten: tumble, balance, jump).
DM Mike
 GM, 1014 posts
 ...
Mon 5 Feb 2007
at 23:37
Re: Cleanup time!
One of the old dwarfs sniffs loudly and says "show off" softly.  The other dwarves shush him and clap loudly when Quinlan is done.

==================================

Soon it is time to take your leave of your hosts and venture out into the Moonsea area proper.

Caravans are headed in all directions, some by land, others by sea.

Those moving to other parts of Faerun find passage and new chapters in their lives are to be written elsewhere.

Those who remain start to travel toward more cilvilized and populated areas and hunker down for a stay at The One-Eyed Troll Tavern in Phlan, after several days of travel.


..............................



OOC: In other words, look for a taverns thread to start up soon!