Moonsea: Sailing The Moonsea.   Posted by DM Scout.Group: 0
DM Scout
 GM, 93 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 01:53
Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Sailing the Moonsea

Time to leave Phlan and explore the Moonsea from the deck of the newly named sloop "Spirit of Gall."

All your gear is packed, Uulfurr is loaded on the deck of the “Spirit of Gall.”  Everything seems to ready for this new adventure – Ship owners, gem merchants, investigators, and treasure seekers.

Captain Dale goes through the almost forgotten and ancient ritual of “Safe Haven and Fair Winds.”  A small bottle of ale is poured on the water from the “Spirit of Gall” before the ropes are cast off.

Once free of the dock, Dalton sets the sails according to his father’s direction.  Looking around, Captain Dale, takes a deep breath and comments about the freedom of sailing.

A couple of hours out of Phlan, Captain Dale lets you know that with the current wind you should reach Melvaunt tomorrow about midday.

There are sufficient sleeping bunks for all. The vessel has 12 bunks that fold back up against the wall.  Also there is a chest for each bunk to store personal gear in.  There is an oil stove in the galley part of the main cabin to cook meals.  A canvas tarp is rigged to provide shade for Uulfurr.

Looking into the provisions, you notice that there is only weak ale and beer to drink.  No strong drink.  Captain Dale tells you that sailors and strong drink go hand in hand, only in port.  On the water, it is deadly.  Therefore a single mug of grog is given out twice a day if any wants it.  As Captain, he will do his drinking in port.

This message was last updated by the GM at 01:55, Sun 07 Nov 2004.

Ashes
 GM, 95 posts
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 04:22
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea

Ashes drops a gold coin over the side as he passes over the gangplank.

Going below he stores his gear and sets up his hammock.  He prefers it to the fold out bunks.  Less rocking.

Ashes takes time out to meet each of the crew when he can.  He tries to get a sense of the men that the Captain chose.  Are they a lawless unruly bunch ruled with an iron fist?  Or career sailors with wives at home?  He vows to find out and keep an eye on them.
Brin
 player, 175 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 04:49
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Brin leans over the side rail near the bow, breathing deep of the sea air.  Looking down to the water he imagines himself a porpise riding the bow wave.  Maybe he and Krais could catch some fresh fish for supper...
Geth Helder
 GM, 62 posts
 INIT +3      AC 17/14/13
 HPS 16/16  F+4/R+6/W+4
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 04:50
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Geth felt alive now that he was out of 'civilization'. Frankly he found such places more frustrating and a little claustrophobic at times, though Thentia (his home) he had gotten used to. He took in a deep breath of fresh sea air and felt alive.

He spent time familiarising himself with the sloop. Asking permission of Captain Dale he began to silently help the sailors in their duties, and then only if they would allow him. For those that did he showed he could climb, tie ropes and knots with some skill and had a keen eye. He also had a good sense of where other lands were in relation to their current position, something that on the sea was not an easy thing to do.

Geth was trying, as politely as he could, to get an understanding of the intricacies of sailing and especially the sloop. He had his reasons, none of which he shared with anyone.

He quickly found that his favorite place was up the mast, in the crows nest, looking out to the sea. There he could see for miles in any direction and his eagle-like sight could pick out most everything on the horizon. That was where he was right now, peering across the seemingly endless expanse of water. He was also looking for signs of what the weather would be like over the next few days, a precaution now become habit for a ranger who spent most of his time outdoors.

His bow and a large quiver of arrows lay at the bottom of the crows nest. For some reason they were always close by the woodsman, as if he couldn't ever be parted from them.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:17, Sun 07 Nov 2004.

Merka
 player, 59 posts
 HP 19/16 AC 13 (T13/FF11)
 Init +2 Sav F3/R3/W4
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 15:21
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
This was Merka's first water voyage.  He'd heard stories about people becoming sick while on the water; so far, he and Grup were doing just fine.

Merka and Grup take a good look around the hold and the ship after they're underway.  They notice Geth helping out the sailors, and it settles Merka's concerns about Geth a bit.
DM Scout
 GM, 100 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 15:35
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
The sloop, Spirit of Gall, is about 50 feet long.  It has one mast and a horizontal boom that the main sail is connected to.  The sail is run up and down the main mast and the boom is set on either side of the sloop to catch the wind.  At the top of the mast is a small crows nest that will hold one person.

This sloop is set up for two people to operate.  Captain Dale mans the tiller and his son Dalton handles the sails.  The main cabin runs the length of the sloop.  It is not set up for carrying bulk cargo.  However there is a small cargo area in the front of the cabin with a hatch that opens to the deck.  However now there is pen and horse on the deck above this area presently.

Korgan Nkopno
 player, 231 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 16:00
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Korgan spent all his time on deck. He didn't really like being under deck. It remonded him too much of times past. He did go downstairs to sleep though. If nothing else then at least to show himself he could.

He seemed to care little for the sailing, mainly staying in the front of the sloop spotting ahead as if he couldn't wait to get to port.
Vaargurr
 player, 46 posts
 AC 17 (FF17, T10) HP36/36
 F+9,R+2,W+6, Init +1
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 16:59
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Vaargurr sees to that Uulfurr has it alright, caressing the horse and talking to it in his gutural tounge. As he has reassured himself that the steed is OK he heads back to Ashes.

I has seen to fat Uulfurr is alright. How is you? Does fis kind of travel, across da sea, make ye tummy turn? I has heard fat some humies tend to spew while on board ships. I has never heard of a half-orc who vomits while on sea.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:40, Sun 07 Nov 2004.

Rystro Blackblade
 player, 56 posts
 HP 20/20 AC 19
 In +1 Sv:F6 R2 W1
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 20:28
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Rystro finds a spot tat the bow of the ship to just watch the horizon, the water a bit choppy with waves. He's thankful that he isn't one to get seasick. After a few minutes of doing this, the young man makes his way over to Ashes and the half-orc, curious of the conversation.
Ashes
 GM, 96 posts
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 21:20
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea

Turning to Vaargurr Ashes is looking a little green.

"The first day is always the worst.  I try to force myself to stay on the deck and watch the horizon until my stomach settles.  No spewing...yet., he says with a wan smile his legs braced against the roll of the ship.

"Hey Rystro, how fare you?  I am feeling a bit green around the gills but you seem to be holding up well.  Vaargurr and I were just discussing the merits of a half-orc constitution.  It appears that our friend here isn't feeling the effects.  Lucky sod.", he says to Rystro as he approaches with a gesture to Vaargurr.
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 232 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 21:42
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Korgan cannot help to overhear the conversation, and walks over to the group. "A man can only throw up that much." he says comforting to Ashes. "You might as well get it over with. Once the stomach is empty you'll feel a whole lot better."
Brin
 player, 176 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Sun 7 Nov 2004
at 21:46
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Brin walks to join the group forming back aft looking more comfortable on the ship than he ever did on land. He stifles a grin at Ashes' discomfort.

 "If you are feeling ill, Ashes I would recommend you stay toward the stern.  The motion of the bow moving up and down will only aggravate your queasy stomach."

Turning to Vaargurr,

"I could not help but notice how fine a horse is Uulfurr.  He seems to be taking his first sea voyage very well."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:52, Mon 08 Nov 2004.

Vaargurr
 player, 47 posts
 AC 17 (FF17, T10) HP36/36
 F+9,R+2,W+6, Init +1
Mon 8 Nov 2004
at 00:21
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Vaargurr turns to Brin.

Us Black hands raise our own horsies 'n dem bein'da best in whole Faerun. Dem bein'real mighty steeds, not fat old mares ye get once ye trade wif da local horse dealer.

He takes a good look at the horse, where it stands and eats hay.

Yes, us Uulfurr have seen alot o'battles togefer 'n we is always victorious. Mutties used ta say fat Lord Tempus rides a migthy steed into battles 'n so does I.
Brin
 player, 177 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Mon 8 Nov 2004
at 00:54
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Brin smiles at the half-orc's obvious pride in his battle companion.

"Yes Vaargurr, he is a mighty steed, and I get the impression he thinks quite highly of you as well!"
Merka
 player, 60 posts
 HP 19/16 AC 13 (T13/FF11)
 Init +2 Sav F3/R3/W4
Mon 8 Nov 2004
at 01:26
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Merka leaned on the starboard railing looked out to sea.  The air smelled so good!  He looked around carefully, ensuring that no one was watching, and he pulled his hood off his head and let the wind blow through his hair.  This altogether new experience of sailing coupled with the pleasurable feeling of the sea wind made him smile broadly.

The broad smile caused the hardened scar tissue to pull painfully taut, bringing a brief but intense flood of memories.  Children crying and running away.  Teenagers pointing and jeering.  Women fainting.  The prostitute who threw his money back at him in disgust when he removed his hood.  The girl who might have loved him if he had not hidden the truth from her with a magic spell.

The joy of the moment was gone. He replaced the hood over his gruesome head and went to look for his new friends.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:26, Mon 08 Nov 2004.

DM Scout
 GM, 101 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Mon 8 Nov 2004
at 03:14
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
As the sun sets in the west, from which you have been sailing (you are headed east) Captain Dale says "Look at the sunset, there is a red sky.  The old sailors warning, Red at night, Sailor delight, Red in the Morning, Sailors take warning.  With the red sunset, we should have fair winds tonight."

Dalton come up from below and let everyone know that a pot of oatmeal has been prepared for supper.  Since several of you are new to the sea, a light meal of oats is just the thing for an unsettled belly.

Then Dalton trims the sails and Captain Dale ties off the tiller.  Either him or Dalton will stand watch through the night with the sloop sailing at slower speed.
Geth Helder
 GM, 64 posts
 INIT +3      AC 17/14/13
 HPS 16/16  F+4/R+6/W+4
Mon 8 Nov 2004
at 05:21
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Geth ate the oats with silent gusto. He enjoyed that type of steaming hot meal for it was similiar to the porridge he made while on the trail. He wasn't a great cook but at least he had learned enough not to automatically gag when he ate it.

When that was doen he returned topside and helped out where he could. He then went back up to the crows nest via the rigging and spent some time watching until relieved by Dalton or Captain Dale. He hoped to ask the Captain to begin showing him how to steer and navigate the boat tommorrow. He was very eager to learn. He might offer to take a watch too.

When he climbed down again he made himself a soft spot with his cloak and fell asleep in his armour on the deck. He liked to sleep under the stars, it was home to him and the hard wood of the deck wasn't any less comfortable then the hard ground around Thentia and a dozen other places he had been in his life.

His bow was within reach as he fell into a dreamless slumber.
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 233 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Mon 8 Nov 2004
at 08:10
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
After eating the filling, if somewhat uninspiring meal, Korgan returns to the front of the ship. He stays there scannning the horizon in front of them, impatiently waiting for him to have his feet back on solid ground.
Merka
 player, 61 posts
 HP 19/16 AC 13 (T13/FF11)
 Init +2 Sav F3/R3/W4
Mon 8 Nov 2004
at 22:32
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Merka resisted the urge to "adjust" the taste of the everyone's oats with a bit of magic.  He was determined he was going to get the full experience of sailing life, and if this meal was a part of it -- so be it.

Upon finishing the meal, he helped gather the pots and bowls.  After first asking permission, Merka made a quick gesture with the fingers of his right hand, and the dishes were instantly immaculate.  Merka smiled beneath his hood.  It sure beat working for a living.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:37, Tue 09 Nov 2004.

Ashes
 GM, 98 posts
Tue 9 Nov 2004
at 01:36
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea

Ashes settles back with Thug and plays "fetch" with a cork on a string.
Rystro Blackblade
 player, 57 posts
 HP 20/20 AC 19
 In +1 Sv:F6 R2 W1
Tue 9 Nov 2004
at 12:06
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Rystro answers Ashes, "Never been on a boat before...guess its my steel stomach that saves me." He smirks, then hears that its time to eat. Its not the best meal in the world, but it'll make do as a light dinner. "How long are we going to be at sea again? 3 days?"
Vaargurr
 player, 48 posts
 AC 17 (FF17, T10) HP36/36
 F+9,R+2,W+6, Init +1
Tue 9 Nov 2004
at 15:14
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Vaargurr finds a suitable spot on the ship and offers a few prayers to his god. The cleric then moves over to Ashes and watches him play with his familiar.
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 234 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Tue 9 Nov 2004
at 16:27
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Looking almost shy, Korgan walks over to Vaargurr and says "About that Tempus guy. Pretty impressive huh?"
Ashes
 GM, 99 posts
Tue 9 Nov 2004
at 16:51
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea

Ashes and Thug's play quickly turns into rough-housing with Thug hanging from the string by his jaws only to occasionally drop free, run up and bite a laughing Ashes then run back to the string after he has dropped it.

They seem to be enjoying it.