Moonsea: Sailing The Moonsea.   Posted by DM Scout.Group: 0
Brin
 player, 211 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Wed 22 Dec 2004
at 16:40
Re: At the Iron Merchant
Brin speaks quickly, to keep the situation from degenerating to frustration for all parties.

"If you please, sir, my partner is new to the metals trade.  His mention of ore was a slip of the tongue.  What I think he meant to say was steel and cold iron ingots."

Brin amazes himself with how easily the half-truths flowed...but now, how to turn the subject to the real topic of interest?  Perhaps it is best to get the transaction moving, and wait for the opportune time to make inquiries...
Rystro Blackblade
 player, 72 posts
 HP 20/20 AC 19
 In +1 Sv:F6 R2 W1
Wed 22 Dec 2004
at 18:00
Re: At the Iron Merchant
"I apologize." Rystro says with a slightly nervous smile. "I used to work in trade of ore. However, I'll let my companion do the talking here. He's more familiar with the trade than I."
DM Scout
 GM, 142 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Wed 22 Dec 2004
at 19:40
Re: At the Iron Merchant
The old Dwarf looks both of you in the eye and then nods, "Very well, then to waste no more time or misunderstandings.  I am Master Thorun of the Strongaxe Clan.  My clan makes and sells steel, cold iron, and cast iron ingots.  What are your names?  How many ingots will your little sloop hold and do you have the gold to fill her with my ingots?  Do not waste my time.  Time is gold."
Vaargurr
 player, 69 posts
 AC 17 (FF17, T10) HP36/36
 F+9,R+2,W+6, Init +1
Wed 22 Dec 2004
at 22:10
Re: At the Iron Merchant
Pew-eeh...this will be a long ride.
Merka
 player, 94 posts
 HP 19/16 AC 13 (T13/FF11)
 Init +2 Sav F3/R3/W4
Thu 23 Dec 2004
at 07:57
At the Spirit
At The Spirit

DM Scout:
”Ah, Merka is it, just the person I needed to see.  Are you aware of the ‘Understanding’ that the former owner of this vessel and I have? Do you wish to continue with the advantages of this situation or not?”


"Captain Dale has indeed informed me of said "understanding," and while we do wish to continue that for the sake of convenience, we also wish you to know that we are in no way affiliated with the previous owner nor his organization. We are a new venture, trying our hand at moving goods across the Moonsea."

Merka stepped closer and put one hand on the Harbormaster's shoulder. He spoke low and earnestly, as if to a confidant. "Friend, you seem troubled.  Is there something bothering you?  If there is,  I assure you...we are at your service."

This message was last edited by the player at 08:54, Thu 23 Dec 2004.

Korgan Nkopno
 player, 279 posts
 HP 62/62  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +7F/+4R/+2W
Thu 23 Dec 2004
at 08:42
Re: At the Spirit
As Korgan hears Merka's words, he steps a bit closer to where the sword is hidden. This is the moment of truth.
DM Scout
 GM, 143 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Thu 23 Dec 2004
at 13:50
Re: At the Spirit
At the Spirit

The Harbor-Master looks at Merka and the others that are on the deck.  When Merka places his hand on his shoulder, he pulls back, breaking the physical contact.

He shakes his head and then seems to gather his wits about him.  Looking Merka in the eye, ”If you know the arrangement I had with the former owners, then you know what I am expecting.  As to how you came to own this vessel is of no concern to me.  However, there are others that might as understanding as I.  But, that is your problem and not mine.”

“As for my personal troubles, it is nothing, just a sudden tingle that I got for no reason at all.  It has pasted, but it was odd.  It need not brother you.  I thank you for your offer.”


Merka, you see the Harbor-Master hold out his open hand at waist level, as if expecting you to give him something.  This is hidden from view of most of the others and the Harbor-Masters guards stand on either side of you, blocking view from the city and the sloop docked next to the Spirit.  All-in-all, a well rehearsed action and set-up for a private transaction in a public location.

This is the time that Vaargurr returns from his ride.  He sees the Harbor-Master speaking to Merka with Captain Dale.  The others are on the Spirit.  The old one eyed beggar is still sitting under a stack of old crates watching the Spirit and the dealings that are going
Merka
 player, 95 posts
 HP 19/16 AC 13 (T13/FF11)
 Init +2 Sav F3/R3/W4
Thu 23 Dec 2004
at 20:45
Re: At the Spirit
The deep hood helped hide the fact that Merka was intensely disappointed.  His first official attempt to use magic as a professional adventurer had apparently failed.  He resolved to salvage something from the situation, and struggled to keep his emotions in check.

A Sembian by birth, recognized the meaning of the open hand.  He turned in toward the man so that his back concealed the passing of the small sack from the other onlookers.

"A token of our esteem, my new friend," Merka murmurmed in a pleasant tone.  Then turning back to the harbor, he added softly and casually, "Our friends advised us to be cautions on this side of the water.  They said there were rumors of disappearances. Do you know anything of this?  Are we in any danger?"
Brin
 player, 212 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Thu 23 Dec 2004
at 23:50
At the Iron Merchant
Brin looks directly back at the trader, trying to appear as trader-like as possible...

"Master Thorun, in all honesty, our schedule calls for departure this morning.  Realistically, this means a somewhat light load, not to mention our craft is designed for rapid, but profitable, transport.  We are here on other business, but with intention to sail south, it is worth our time to transport a smallish load of cold iron and steel ingots, as we have heard they are in high demand there.  As for our other business, it occurs to me you may be of some help in that area, and perhaps resolve a...a...problem...that affects all our...profits."

Brin scrambles to find words that will allow him to question the old dwarf without being thrown out on his ear.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:50, Thu 23 Dec 2004.

Vaargurr
 player, 70 posts
 AC 17 (FF17, T10) HP36/36
 F+9,R+2,W+6, Init +1
Fri 24 Dec 2004
at 11:17
Re: At the Iron Merchant
Vaargurr makes sure that Uulfurr is secure before joining the others at the deck.
DM Scout
 GM, 144 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Sun 26 Dec 2004
at 15:33
Re: At the Iron Merchant
At the Iron Merchant

Master Thorun looks at both of you, "For a light load, then Cold Iron is the best route.  I only have six 10 pound ingots for sale at this time.  They be 500 gold each.  Otherwise, I have enought steel ingots for your needs at 5 gold a ingot."

"If you need information, I will speak only after we conclude the current transaction.  No need to mix up different items, then we be wasting our time and gold."


At the Spirit

The Harbor-Master takes the 'offering' and quickly hides it within his clothing.

Looking at Merka, "People and things disappear all the time.  Sometimes they leave for an area that is better suited to their health.  Other times their time here on Faerun is at an end.  Sometimes they fall afoul of the powers to be or powers behind the power.  Sometimes those asking questions in the wrong place disappear."

"Caution is a wonderful thing, it keeps you alive, for a while.  I am unable to help you as I am unable to help those that are asking about the people on this sloop."

"Captain Dale, you know what needs to be done before the wind changes."
With a knowing look at the sloop that is docked behind you.  He turns away and heads back to the Moonsea Gate with his two guards.
Geth Helder
 GM, 85 posts
 INIT +3      AC 17/14/13
 HPS 16/16  F+4/R+6/W+4
Sun 26 Dec 2004
at 16:15
Re: At the Iron Merchant
Geth watched this dance of city dwellers with a sense of distaste. All this innuendo and double talk was a poor mans disguise for speaking the truth. The Harbour Master could be bribed, he had warned them off from here and frankly this dance was grating his nerves. Why didn't they simply speak the truth and be done with it.

'This is the tom foolery of those who live within walls. The games they play to keep themselves amused. Ridiculous' thought the ranger. Just another reason why he hated cities.

Clutching his bow he waited for the others to make the decision on what to do next. If he was a betting man (and he was one who knew the dangers of which the Harbour master alluded to) he would slip sails and get the hell out of this place.

Still... it wasn't his decision.
Merka
 player, 96 posts
 HP 19/16 AC 13 (T13/FF11)
 Init +2 Sav F3/R3/W4
Mon 27 Dec 2004
at 02:13
Re: At the Spirit
Merka turned and walked up the gangplank, the epitome of composure.  When safely on the bridge, he exhaled loudly. "Mystra's toenails...  I was completely worthless.  Why did I think I could be an adventurer anyway?  How could I have blown such an easy spell?"  Merka put his hands inside his hood and rubbed his scarred face in frustration.  "I may as well go back to Sembia for all the good I'm doing here."

This message was last updated by the player at 02:15, Mon 27 Dec 2004.

Ashes
 GM, 117 posts
Mon 27 Dec 2004
at 02:51
Re: At the Spirit

Ashes continues to be quiet.
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 280 posts
 HP 62/62  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +7F/+4R/+2W
Mon 27 Dec 2004
at 08:19
Re: At the Spirit
Korgan pads Merkas shoulder. "At least you didn't get into an argument with him, that probably more than I could have achieved. I thought you did great!"

Casting a glance around he then adds "Now, the question is what's going to happen of course."
DM Scout
 GM, 146 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Mon 27 Dec 2004
at 18:27
Re: At the Spirit
The beggar that is across from the Spirit gets up and moves to the end of the dock.  Where the other beggar and a person from the other sloop went.

The Harbor-Master and his two 'helpers' continue down the dock and pass through the Moonsea Gate into the City.
Brin
 player, 213 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Wed 29 Dec 2004
at 04:53
At the Iron Merchant
Brin decides he'd probably better haggle a bit, to try and look somewhat qualified...

To the old Dwarf, Brin speaks in his most merchant-sounding voice, and hopes for the best,

"Ahem, well sir, the Cold Iron ingot price is somewhat higher than I expected...If you are willing to bargain, I would offer you 450 gold for one cold iron ingot and twenty steel ingots."
Merka
 player, 98 posts
 HP 19/16 AC 13 (T13/FF11)
 Init +2 Sav F3/R3/W4
Wed 29 Dec 2004
at 18:24
Re: At the Spirit
Merka continued to mope.  He was inconsolable.  He watched the Harbor-Master go and said nothing.  He stared blankly in the general direction of the beggers.  "I hope they are not a valuable source of information that we are ignoring."

This message was last updated by the player at 02:17, Thu 30 Dec 2004.

Korgan Nkopno
 player, 281 posts
 HP 62/62  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +7F/+4R/+2W
Wed 29 Dec 2004
at 20:23
Re: At the Iron Merchant
Korgan nods. "Do you think I should go out an ask them? I'm quite sure I would be able to fight me way back here if I was attacked."
DM Scout
 GM, 148 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Thu 30 Dec 2004
at 01:04
Re: At the Iron Merchant

The old Dwarf just shakes his head, "I have a buyer for the Zhents that will buy all my cold steel for 450 gold!  Plus he will buy my whole stock of steel ingots at my price just to get the cold steel.  Now why would I sell to you and not him?"
Merka
 player, 99 posts
 HP 19/16 AC 13 (T13/FF11)
 Init +2 Sav F3/R3/W4
Thu 30 Dec 2004
at 02:24
Re: At the Iron Merchant
Korgan Nkopno:
Korgan nods. "Do you think I should go out an ask them? I'm quite sure I would be able to fight me way back here if I was attacked."


Merka's darkened hood looked at Korgan's massive form (OOC: and at his stats over in the left column) and nodded slowly.  "Aye, Korgan, I've no doubt you could.  You appear a fighting machine.  While I...well, I am a different story."

He appeared to ponder Korgan's offer further. "You know, Korgan, if we could only know how much longer the others are going to be gone, it would make things easier.  If you did have to fight your way back, I would hate to have to try to hold off them and any of their friends who happened to wander by during the hour that it took for our companions to return -- complete with cart of iron ingots.  I am guessing that onloading iron ingots is difficult in itself without having to fight at the same time."
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 282 posts
 HP 62/62  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +7F/+4R/+2W
Thu 30 Dec 2004
at 09:32
Re: At the Iron Merchant
"I guess you're right" Korgans said, and nodded. "Let's wait just a little longer to see what happens."
Geth Helder
 GM, 88 posts
 INIT +3      AC 17/14/13
 HPS 16/16  F+4/R+6/W+4
Fri 31 Dec 2004
at 02:00
Re: At the Iron Merchant
Ever watchful but listening to the conversation between Merka and Korgan the ranger had to smile ever so slightly.

'Interesting group this one... strong and intelligent in equal measure. A good combination" he thought as his eagle eyes scanned the docks for trouble. His bow was still in his hand ready for action should it rear it's ugly head.
Ashes
 GM, 118 posts
Fri 31 Dec 2004
at 02:12
Re: At the Iron Merchant

Ashes continues to watch the sloop next to the Spirit.

Interesting little boat...wonder what has our Captain spooked
DM Scout
 GM, 149 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Sat 1 Jan 2005
at 14:24
Re: At the Iron Merchant
At the Spirit

The two crewmen on the other sloop seem to be going about normal task on the deck.

Captain Dale in a low voice, "There is no where the normal amount of people usually visiable on this dock at this time of day.  I have only seen that one meatpie vendor today.  Usually there are a double handfull trying to sell everything and anything they can.  But they are not out today.  So far the Spirit and the other sloop are the only two ships to come in today, again slow for this time of year.  Something is up and I don't like it.  I wish those other two would get back here."