Moonsea: Sailing The Moonsea.   Posted by DM Scout.Group: 0
Brin
 player, 181 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Fri 12 Nov 2004
at 00:59
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Rystro is right Korgan," Brin adds.  "We are with you, all the way.  But this brings up a question that is related to Vaargurr's, how likely do you think it is that you would be recognized?"
DM Scout
 GM, 105 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Fri 12 Nov 2004
at 02:47
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
After a few hours of sailing, the strip of land becomes clearer.  Soon Captain Dale angles the Spirit of Gall southward following the beaches.  Then you see smoke rising from the land.

Captain Dale, "That smoke be the city of Malvaunt.  There are many iron foundries there.  There be three walls to the city.  The inner wall holds the merchant square.  Ye be careful in there, anything that hurts trade is against the law.  Otherwise any actions are fair.  Should be there in another hour or so.”

Looking at the message that Mistress Olive gave you, you see:

Malvaunt- Ian Dell – Gemacoe Tavern (water front tavern)
Ashes
 GM, 103 posts
Fri 12 Nov 2004
at 05:19
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea

"I have a price on my head in Melvaunt too...", Ashes says really quietly.
Geth Helder
 GM, 67 posts
 INIT +3      AC 17/14/13
 HPS 16/16  F+4/R+6/W+4
Fri 12 Nov 2004
at 07:02
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
Geth was interested slightly about what was going on. Prices on peoples heads made for poor company for those with them, even if such a price was done against someone of true heart. Still he owed them a debt for saving his hide from captivity and he would stand beside them should someone coming looking to collect.

As for the mention of Melvaunt he tried to sift through his memory about what he knew of the place. He had travelled a great deal around the Moonsea in his role as guide and ranger. Though he avoided the cities for the most part his clients had, from time to time, needed him to escort them in. So he pondered for a while while the others continued their discussions.

This message was last edited by the player at 08:57, Fri 12 Nov 2004.

Korgan Nkopno
 player, 241 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Fri 12 Nov 2004
at 08:04
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
"I don't know how likely it is that I'll be recognized. I don't even know if there are anybody there that has seen me before, and I don't know if there's a price on my head, I just say there might be." he looks down himself. "The problem is I don't blend in well." he adds. The rest of the group sees what he means considering his big frame, blond hair, and uncommon features.

He turns to Ashes and asks "YOU have a price on your head?" It seems almost impossible to him that Ashes could have done anything that would put him in that sort of trouble.
Ashes
 GM, 104 posts
Fri 12 Nov 2004
at 17:04
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea

"Did I say Melvaunt? I meant Mulmaster.  Nope, no problems here.", he says cheerily.  "But Mulmaster? Whew...stay away from there.  The wizards and sorcerers there don't like me."
Vaargurr
 player, 54 posts
 AC 17 (FF17, T10) HP36/36
 F+9,R+2,W+6, Init +1
Fri 12 Nov 2004
at 17:31
Re: Moonsea - Sailing the Moonsea
I like ye but I aint a wizzie, so I guess yer right!

The cleric slaps Ashes hard across the back and laughs.
DM Scout
 GM, 106 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Sat 13 Nov 2004
at 14:43
Malvaunt
About one hour later, true to his word, Captain Dale is sailing the Spirit of Gall into the harbor at Malvaunt.  Decent wind and tide along with Dalton’s help, he picks out a deserted spot on one of the docks and pulls along side.  Shortly a man followed by two more all wearing some sort of similar tunic approach the vessel.

Captain Dale mutters under his breath, “Harbor Master and his toads.”

The Harbor Master, ”Well, well, well, Captain Dale!  I had heard you had some problems over with the Zhents and now here you are sailing a new vessel.  Must be a tale somewhere in your travels.”

“Well Captain, you know the drill, what do you have to declare and how long will you being staying?”


Captain Dale jumps to the dock while Dalton ties off the Spirit.  “Well Master Dowel, I am sailing the sloop on shares.  We are here for trade.  Looking to buy a cargo to move to the south shore.  You have any ideas in that area, you might be willing to share?”

Harbor Master Dowel smiles, “Now Captain, you know I am not allowed to make any recommendations in that area, as the Harbor Master.  However, you could see me later at the Goose and we could share a mug or two.”

“Now how long will you be with us?  The docking fee is 1 gold and 10 silver a day to ensure you have no paper problems when it is time to leave.”


Captain Dale quickly concludes the dealing and the Harbor Master and his men move off to meet another sloop that is sailing into the harbor.

Turning around, Captain Dale tells the party, ”Best to move in pairs if not larger groups.  I have go have a drink with him this afternoon at the Gray Goose Tavern, his brother owns the place.  Watch yourselves in the waterfront taverns, they can get a bit rough, and leave the bows on board. Otherwise, it will be dark in about 7 hours.  The merchant square will close at sunset.  I paid him for three days docking, but we can leave when ever you want to.”
Brin
 player, 182 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Sat 13 Nov 2004
at 15:06
Re: Malvaunt
Brin nods appreciatively.

"Thank you Captain, I think we we will spend a little time getting a feel for the area, then head to the place recommended by our mutual friend.  One thing before you go, do you know of any local laws that would be unwise to break?"
Geth Helder
 GM, 68 posts
 INIT +3      AC 17/14/13
 HPS 16/16  F+4/R+6/W+4
Sat 13 Nov 2004
at 16:59
Re: Malvaunt
Geth was pleased to set ashore again, even if it was in a city. Picking up his bow and quiver he placed the quiver on his back and his bow over his shoulder. He waited while Brin was checking for local customs, his eyes searching the docks for anything unusual. He was a cautious man, it paid to be in his line of work.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:57, Sat 13 Nov 2004.

Vaargurr
 player, 55 posts
 AC 17 (FF17, T10) HP36/36
 F+9,R+2,W+6, Init +1
Sat 13 Nov 2004
at 20:07
Re: Malvaunt
A city, the one place that Vaargurr had never learnt to cope in. Civilized folks tended to treat him with disrespect and suspicion, due to this orcish heritage. He decided to stay close to Ash.

Ash, were is ye goin'? Mind iffen I tag alon'?
DM Scout
 GM, 107 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Sun 14 Nov 2004
at 02:33
Re: Malvaunt
Captain Dale replies, ”Be careful about interfering with trade. That will get you into chains quicker than anything else.  If’n  a  guard or official is wearing a silver badge with a sword transfixing a anchor, listen and do what they say.  They be the army and guard here in Malvaunt.  They only answerable to the Lord of Keys, the general of the army.  Mind you, I don’t know what wealth you got, but you don’t want to fall foul of him.”

“I intend to leave Dalton here on board for the time being and will be back by sundown, I don’t intend to be anywhere else but here tonight.  As far as I am concerned, it be safer here than inside the walls.”


The dock heads to a gate in the wall, known as the Moonsea Gate, the one that faces the Moonsea.  From where you are now, you can tell that this city must be 10 times larger than Phlan.  There are at least four guards in purple cloaks at the Moonsea Gate.
Geth Helder
 GM, 69 posts
 INIT +3      AC 17/14/13
 HPS 16/16  F+4/R+6/W+4
Sun 14 Nov 2004
at 03:01
Re: Malvaunt
Gesturing to the others to come closer to him (including Captain Dalton) without being to obvious Geth whispered "We're being watched by a set of soldiers in purple cloaks bearing what looks to be a silver device over there by the Moonsea Gate and that old one eyed begger sitting on a pile of old fishing nets within a stone throw of the Spirit.  He was'nt there when we docked, but he is now and while he seems to be drinking from a bottle every so often, I noticed that the amount of liquid in his bottle does not change as he takes a drink from it. What do you want to do?"

This message was last edited by the player at 03:02, Sun 14 Nov 2004.

Ashes
 GM, 105 posts
Sun 14 Nov 2004
at 06:33
Re: Malvaunt

"I am for following Brin, splitting up in this place is not something I am wont to do.", he moves to Vaargurr and begins to move his harness and belt around a bit and speaks so the others can hear.

"Keep your purse low and in front of your...unit, the better that you will feel a cutpurse's hands moving it.  Wear your daggers and weapons sheath in towards the center of your body, let no end hang loose or you may loose it to thieves and find it in your back.  Give no money to apple-cheeked waifs, or sick beggar.  You do yourself no kindness for as one distracts you another lightens your purse or pack.", he says as he settles his own gear properly.

He then waits to follow Brin.
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 242 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Sun 14 Nov 2004
at 09:53
Re: Malvaunt
"I'll stay on the boat" Korgan says. "I have no wish to be spotted by the wrong people in thus city".
Vaargurr
 player, 56 posts
 AC 17 (FF17, T10) HP36/36
 F+9,R+2,W+6, Init +1
Sun 14 Nov 2004
at 14:25
Re: Malvaunt
Vaargurr follows Ashes advice and removes his dagger and short spear, he places it along with his other posession. He takes his purse and hides it as well along with his stuff, but removes a couple of gp's, he puts one in each boot. He holds his axe with both hands and puts his vizor down.

Ok, Ashes, I is ready.
DM Scout
 GM, 108 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Sun 14 Nov 2004
at 14:46
Re: Malvaunt
Captain Dale says, "Alright we leave as a group and go through the first set of gates together, then we go our separate ways.  As I said, I will be back by sundown.  Listen to Ashes, sounds like he knows the ways around here.”

Looking over at Korgan, ”I be thanking ye for staying on the Spirit with Dalton. No telling who that one-eyed begger is spying for.”

“Dalton ye go below and load both those crossbows and sneak them on deck where no one can see them.  Best to have them handy if’en ye need them. Remember, no one comes on board the Spirit unless the Captain is here and I will be gone until sunset.”


Captain Dale adjusts his own dagger, club, and pouch before he steps off the deck onto the dock.  As soon as everyone is there, he heads off to Moonsea Gate in the outer wall of the city.  As he approaches the gate, four guards straighten up, 2 on either side of the gate.  An under-officer steps out into your path and holds up his hand.  ”Name, vessel, and purpose of visit, please?”

Captain Dale gives the man the necessary information, which he checks off of a sheet of paper.  The under-officer replies ”You must be lucky or the Harbor Master owes you one, he just put you on my list.  Usually he checks by about midday and again at sunset.  The gates close at sundown for cargo, we do have a doorway for foot traffic and that door is locked about midnight.  Thank care and good trading.”

He steps aside to let you pass by.

Once by and out of earshot, Captain Dale says, ”I don’t like the sound of that, it was too easy.  Usually they make you wait a couple of hours for the Harbor Master to update the docking list.  Something is going on, so be careful.”
Brin
 player, 183 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Sun 14 Nov 2004
at 15:03
Re: Malvaunt
Brin gives a wry smile to all,

"Ah Captain, this has been our life for the past week, I am sure we will take all precautions, right friends?

Ashes, I would suggest we first locate where we need to be, and perhaps go in for a drink and some discrete asking around for our...cousin...  Circumstances may dictate we leave and return later, but we definately don't want to stir things up more than we already have, it seems."


In a quieter voice, and directed at the ranger,

"Geth, your keen eye has spotted something strange about that vagrant.  Can you keep a watch on him and follow him with stealth if he leaves to report to anyone?"
Geth Helder
 GM, 70 posts
 INIT +3      AC 17/14/13
 HPS 16/16  F+4/R+6/W+4
Sun 14 Nov 2004
at 17:04
Re: Malvaunt
The ranger nodded and then moved away in a rather circumspect route to backtrack into a position he could keep an eye on the beggar. He would use the shadows to cover his own presence as best he could. Moving slowly into position he locked onto his prey. If the beggar so much as moved Geth would be after him quicker than thought itself. The hunt was on.
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 243 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Sun 14 Nov 2004
at 21:39
Re: Malvaunt
Back on the sloop Korgan put his Falchion just out of eyesight from the docks, but very close to him so he could get to it in a split second. "So, how do you like life as a sailor?" he asked Dalton while keeping a vigilant eye on his surroundings.
Merka
 player, 65 posts
Mon 15 Nov 2004
at 02:08
Re: Malvaunt

This message was deleted by the player at 13:55, Tue 16 Nov 2004.

DM Scout
 GM, 109 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Mon 15 Nov 2004
at 16:34
Re: Malvaunt
Geth you head back out the gate, the guards hardly give you a second look.  Once out of the gate you move around like you are looking at the ships.  There is a little street cart food vender selling meat pies and cool bottles of beer at the head of the dock where the Spirit is tied up.  From the cart you can see the old beggar still sitting on the pile of netting.  The cart vender has just finished selling a few items and seems to be getting ready to move on down to the next dock about 100 yards away.

Dalton looks over at Korgan, ”Tis the only life I have ever known.  My Dad was sailing the Moonsea before he met my Mom.  She came from a sailing family too.  Once they were married, my Dad sailed with her Dad for a couple of years before he could buy his own boat.  I was born on that boat.  Those were the happy years, then on a trip to Phlan, Mom got the fever and died before we could dock and get a cleric to help her.  I was about 10 where that happened.”

“How about you?  You enjoy adventuring?  Never seen a sword like you carry, what is it called?”


The rest of the party moves on looking for the tavern.  There is a decent amount of traffic in the streets.  The smells of the city are strong, with the smell of coal fires forges, baking bread, roasting meat, slop jars, raw hides, and horse dung.  Make you kinda wish you were back on the open water in the Spirit.  Soon you spot the Gemacoe Tavern just a short walk from the Moonsea Gate.
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 244 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Mon 15 Nov 2004
at 18:32
Re: Malvaunt
Do I like adventuring. I guess I do. I've met great friends adventuring, but lost great friends too. I grew up in a forest far from here and was a big man in my tribe there, but then the massacre happend and I ended up here. To tell you the truth I would much rather be back with my family and friends there, but that's impossible of course."

Korgan looks grim.

"Adventuring is very nice as long as things are going your way, but when they don't you see your friends loose their lives in a pool of blood, or you loose your own. That's not so nice."

He stares into the horizon.

"It an intense and exciting life. But often too intense. Often too exciting. When you're in the middle of it, knee high in blood and gore, your muscles aching from the many, many times you've swung your blade, yet the excitement burning in your veins like fire....that's intense! But when you're going through the bodies afterwards, looking for your dead friends arm or head so it can be buried with the rest of him....that's when you dream about buying a farm...or perhaps a boat."

His head snaps up, as if he returns to where he is.

"But about the sword....I don't know what this kind of blade is called. I haven't seen one before I got this one, and the man I got this one from wore strange and exotic clothes. It's by far the best blade I ever weilded though. It's razor sharp yet so light you can change your aim in mid-swing to hit the places that really hurt." He looks at Dalton. "I only have that one, but if you want I can teach you a trick or two about swordplay."
Geth Helder
 GM, 71 posts
 INIT +3      AC 17/14/13
 HPS 16/16  F+4/R+6/W+4
Mon 15 Nov 2004
at 18:53
Re: Malvaunt
DM Scout:
Geth you head back out the gate, the guards hardly give you a second look.  Once out of the gate you move around like you are looking at the ships.  There is a little street cart food vender selling meat pies and cool bottles of beer at the head of the dock where the Spirit is tied up.  From the cart you can see the old beggar still sitting on the pile of netting.  The cart vender has just finished selling a few items and seems to be getting ready to move on down to the next dock about 100 yards away.


Geth looked at the vendor and said "Whats on offer? I've just come off a long journey and my stomach keeps telling me I need to eat."

All the while he kept one eye on the beggar while stalling the vendor.
Merka
 player, 66 posts
 HP 19/16 AC 13 (T13/FF11)
 Init +2 Sav F3/R3/W4
Mon 15 Nov 2004
at 19:45
Re: Malvaunt
Merka listened to the conversation between Dalton and Korgan absently as he looked around.  The disadvantage of wearing such a deep hood was that you had little peripheral vision.  But for Merka, there was no doubt that the advantage of concealment outweighed any disadvantages.  At one time he had used magic to hide his face, but no longer.  Only a ragged stub of a page remained in his spellbook where that illusion had once been scribed.

Korgan Nkopno:
"Adventuring is very nice as long as things are going your way, but when they don't you see your friends loose their lives in a pool of blood, or you loose your own. That's not so nice."


Korgan's statement caused Merka to remember how the naming of their boat came about and jolted the mage out of his self-pity.  He wondered if he would have to bear the same pain and sense of loss Korgan spoke of while on this adventure.  He also wondered if there was a Spirit of Merka in his friends' future.