Moonsea: Sailing The Moonsea.   Posted by DM Scout.Group: 0
DM Scout
 GM, 120 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Mon 22 Nov 2004
at 18:20
Re: Malvaunt
At the Spirit.

Getting up Dalton watches closely and then asks, "Why do you want me to exercise?"

The new beggar left after staying for a few moments.  Nothing new is to be seen in or around the dock.

Behind the Tavern.

"Olive who?  From Phlan you say.  I don't know anyone by that name from there.  You got one more chance and that is it. They give you anything for me?"

In the Tavern,

The ale is cheap and tastes the same way.  No girls or food, just cheap drinks.
Vaargurr
 player, 60 posts
 AC 17 (FF17, T10) HP36/36
 F+9,R+2,W+6, Init +1
Mon 22 Nov 2004
at 19:42
Re: Malvaunt
Vaargurr finds a seat and drinks more ale.
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 257 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Mon 22 Nov 2004
at 21:02
Re: Malvaunt
Korgan answers Dalton "I want you to exercise mainly so I'll have a hope you can survive long enough for me to save your hide should we get into a fight. Like I said, I'm not fond of seeing my friends and companions killed. Also, I think basic combat training is important in your line of work, but of course, if you'll rather clean the decks be my guest.
Brin
 player, 194 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Mon 22 Nov 2004
at 23:36
Re: Malvaunt
Brin withwraws the small pin given to them by the harpers, and displays it such that only the person behind the door can see it.

"My friend lent me this..."
DM Scout
 GM, 121 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Tue 23 Nov 2004
at 13:53
Re: Malvaunt
At the Spirit.

Dalton asks, ”To be honest, anything is better than swabbing the decks.  You need to show me the types of exercises you want to do.  Me Dad always said, work is good exercise and if I had time for such silliness, he had something for me to do.”

Behind the Tavern.

A moment after Brin shows the pin, the door opens, ”Quickly! Get in here.”

Once you are in and the door is closed, a candle is lit and you see the same man that gave you the message in the tavern next door.  ”Follow me” he says as he picks up the candle and leads you through another twisted maze of crates and barrels.  He opens a door to a room and you find yourselves in an office.  A desk with a stack of papers, several chests, and opposite the desk is some sort of window.  Looking through the window, you see the backside of the bar and you see everyone that was in the bar.  Vaargurr and Rystro are sitting at a table drinking.  You are able to hear everything being said in the bar.  The three dockmen are trying to get the barkeeper to invest in their trade deal.  The two men near the door are discussing some deal concerning a money-changer.

The man sits down at the desk, there are several chairs in the room and he motions for you to sit.  ”Now what can I do for you?  By way, what names are you to be known by?”
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 258 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Tue 23 Nov 2004
at 15:04
Re: Malvaunt
Let me show you how to survive as long as possible. Korgan says and demonstrates for dalton how to protect himself. It's obvious that Korgan doesn¨'t have too much experience fighting the way he's trying to teach the young man though.

OOC: I'll introduce him to "Fighting defensively" and not least "Total defense".
Merka
 player, 74 posts
 HP 19/16 AC 13 (T13/FF11)
 Init +2 Sav F3/R3/W4
Tue 23 Nov 2004
at 15:44
Re: Malvaunt
"Careful, Korgan.  Don't teach him too much.  I'd hate for our captain to have to hire another hand because his son has taken on a new career.  Or because his head is cracked open, either."
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 260 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Tue 23 Nov 2004
at 20:14
Re: Malvaunt
Korgan smiles at Merkas worries. "Everybody should know how to defend themselves, and in the business of sailing with valuables I would think it's particularely important. Besides, I'm really just trying to make sure he doesn't get his skull cracked."
Brin
 player, 196 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Tue 23 Nov 2004
at 23:13
Re: Malvaunt
In a low voice Brin answers 'Skinflint' questions

"I am Brin, a servant of Eldath, and this is my friend Ashes.  We have been asked by the harpers in Phlan to investigate the disappearence and mysterious deaths of dwarves along the northern Moonsea.  We have come here in our own ship under the guise of gem traders."

Brin looks to Ashes for confirmation that he did not miss anything important.
Ashes
 GM, 111 posts
Wed 24 Nov 2004
at 00:01
Re: Malvaunt

Ashes nods at Brin's words.

"That is correct.  So far our investigations are in their infancy.  We sought to contact you first.  Brin is our spokesman in these dealings and the little lady suggested you could assist us.", he says taking Thug out of his pocket and petting him.

OOC:Thug is a fat brown rat, who is very affectionate, like a housecat
DM Scout
 GM, 123 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Wed 24 Nov 2004
at 04:18
Re: Malvaunt
'Skinflint' Dell looks at both men and answers, "Humm, now that you are asking about Dwarfs, there are some funny things going on here.  I had not thought about what is going on.  About three months ago the dwarfs that came here to drink, stopped coming for some reason.  There have been a few murders or missing dwarfs over the last few months.  Several of the dwarfs were found floating in the bay covered with what looks like spider webbing.  Most thought that a Drow Cleric was in the area taking out Dwarfs, no one else seems to be effected.  Now in the slave market here at Malvaunt, there is a premium being paid for Dwarven slaves.  The local Dwarf families are moving at all times in groups.  It seems that they do not have a clue about the source of their troubles. That is about all I know."
Brin
 player, 198 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Wed 24 Nov 2004
at 17:23
Re: Malvaunt
At mention of the slave trade, Brin's eyes darken and wisps of hair begin the waving motion that has come to signify suppressed anger.  At this time, however, Brin decides to say nothing on that particular subject as he has rapidly come to realize the way of his youth is not the way of the world.  He decides to focus in on those most affected by this puzzling situation, the dwaven community.

 "Friend Dell, you say the local dwarf families do not seem to know what is going on, but there are some clues.  Perhaps you can direct us a member of that community who has knowledge of times and places of the dissapearances.  That may help to provide a pattern to these...crimes."
Vaargurr
 player, 61 posts
 AC 17 (FF17, T10) HP36/36
 F+9,R+2,W+6, Init +1
Thu 25 Nov 2004
at 09:10
Re: Malvaunt
Still drinking.
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 261 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Fri 26 Nov 2004
at 23:54
Re: Malvaunt
Korgan once again kicks back in a roll of rope, letting his eyes scan the docks.
DM Scout
 GM, 124 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Sun 28 Nov 2004
at 00:09
Re: Malvaunt
At the Spirit

Dalton continues to go through the forms of exercise that he has been shown.  Looking up and down the dock, you see another sloop similar to the one you are in coming into the harbor.

At the Tavern

Skinflint Dell looks at Brin, ”Well I don’t know them except by name, but in the Ironmonger district there are a couple of Dwarven families.  The Strongaxe Clan has a shop there for selling iron and steel ingots.  They are the most open of the families in Malvaunt.  But they are still very closed mouthed to strangers.  Chances are they throw you out on your arses.  But that be your business not mine.  Do not mention my name, it would do you more harm than good.”

The cheap ale continues to flow as long as the coppers hold out.
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 262 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Sun 28 Nov 2004
at 20:04
Re: Malvaunt
Korgan notices the new ship coming in. "Hey, look...there's a ship coming in here that's just like ours." He turns to Dalton. "You have more knowledge in these matters than me. Do you shink these two ships were made by the same manifacturer? Or perhaps that other one is a stealthy one like htis one?"
DM Scout
 GM, 125 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Sun 28 Nov 2004
at 22:36
Re: Malvaunt
Dalton looks at the sloop sailing into the harbor.  After a minute of looking at it he replies, "It is a very similar type sloop to this one.  But it does not have the crows nest that this one has.  Other than that, I can't tell at this distance if it was made at the same shipyard as this one."
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 263 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Sun 28 Nov 2004
at 22:41
Re: Malvaunt
"Keep looking. See if you can see anything." Korgan says, sharing his attention between the new ship and the docks. "WHat about you Merka. Do you know anything about ships?"
Geth Helder
 GM, 74 posts
 INIT +3      AC 17/14/13
 HPS 16/16  F+4/R+6/W+4
Mon 29 Nov 2004
at 03:50
Re: Malvaunt
Geth continued his observation with the patience of a hunter. He stretched his muscles out every so often to stop them from cramping and noted with a little interest when another sloop appeared much like the one they had all arrived on.

He wondered when his prey would decide to move back to his lair. It might be fun to track him through the urban sprawl.
Brin
 player, 199 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Mon 29 Nov 2004
at 22:56
Re: Malvaunt
Brin turns to his friend,

"Ashes, it seems we have our starting point.  I think we should collect our companions, who seem to be well on their way to a warm drunk, then head back to the ship to let everyone know our plans."
Merka
 player, 77 posts
 HP 19/16 AC 13 (T13/FF11)
 Init +2 Sav F3/R3/W4
Tue 30 Nov 2004
at 02:53
Re: Malvaunt
Korgan Nkopno:
"Keep looking. See if you can see anything." Korgan says, sharing his attention between the new ship and the docks. "WHat about you Merka. Do you know anything about ships?"


"The only ship I have any experience with other than the one we're on is my apprenticeship.  Sorry, friend Korgan.  I can, however, if we deem it helpful, check the ship for the presence of magical auras should it draw near enough."
Ashes
 GM, 113 posts
Tue 30 Nov 2004
at 03:23
Re: Malvaunt

"Good call Brin, sounds like the kernel of a plan.", Ashes says collecting Thug from where he is wandering around his boots.
DM Scout
 GM, 126 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Tue 30 Nov 2004
at 03:33
Re: Malvaunt
At the Spirit

As the sloop sails into the harbor, you are able to tell that it will dock very near the Spirit.  There appears to be about three men on the deck handling the sails and tiller.  As the ship approaches, another beggar comes out of the Moonsea Gate and moves up the dock past the Spirit and up to where the new sloop will be docking.  As the beggar pasts the other beggar, a look seems to past between them, but they do not speak.


At the tavern

Brin and Ashes leave the same way they came in and make their way back to the front of the tavern.  They also notice another beggar sitting on a crate in front of the tavern.  He was not there earlier.
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 264 posts
 HP 22/47  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +6F/+3R/+1W
Tue 30 Nov 2004
at 12:05
Re: Malvaunt
Korgans senses are at an alert, although he doesn't know where the prime danger lurks, he has a clear feeling something is not right. "Do look for magic auras when you can Merka, and be ready for anything. I feel something here is not right." he says as he scans the area for signs of danger.
Vaargurr
 player, 62 posts
 AC 17 (FF17, T10) HP36/36
 F+9,R+2,W+6, Init +1
Tue 30 Nov 2004
at 12:30
Re: Malvaunt
Vaargurr decides it's time to leave and walks back to where the ship is.