Moonsea: Sailing The Moonsea.   Posted by DM Scout.Group: 0
Rystro Blackblade
 player, 69 posts
 HP 20/20 AC 19
 In +1 Sv:F6 R2 W1
Thu 9 Dec 2004
at 17:36
Re: Malvaunt
"Excellent. What of the dwarves can you tell us?" Rystro asks, preparing for the trip.
Vaargurr
 player, 67 posts
 AC 17 (FF17, T10) HP36/36
 F+9,R+2,W+6, Init +1
Thu 9 Dec 2004
at 19:22
Re: Malvaunt
Vaargurr simply nods his head at the guards and says:

I is takin'me horsie for a short ride, iffen ye don't minds. I'll be back within the hour.
Merka
 player, 89 posts
 HP 19/16 AC 13 (T13/FF11)
 Init +2 Sav F3/R3/W4
Fri 10 Dec 2004
at 02:31
At The Spirit
Merka keeps his hood obscured eyes on the other boat, watching for clues and ideas on how to deal with the harbor master once he arrives.
Brin
 player, 207 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Fri 10 Dec 2004
at 14:05
Re: At The Spirit
Brin also prods the cart driver for information on the personality they are seeking.

"Yes, we are trying to get a good, fair, price on iron, and you seem like you know this town very well.  Anything you could tell us of the demeanor and tendencies of the iron merchant would be useful, It would mean a few extra silver pieces for you if we have good dealings with him."

(OOC: DM Scout, any rolls required here? and which ones? Diplomacy? or Gather Information?)

This message was last edited by the player at 14:05, Fri 10 Dec 2004.

Geth Helder
 GM, 80 posts
 INIT +3      AC 17/14/13
 HPS 16/16  F+4/R+6/W+4
Sat 11 Dec 2004
at 03:33
Re: At The Spirit
Busying himself around the deck Geth tried to make it look innocuous. When he got the chance he climbed the rigging and into the crows nest, whcih had by now become his favorite spot. Once there his eyes roamed the boat being expected as inconspicuously as possible.
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 276 posts
 HP 62/62  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +7F/+4R/+2W
Sat 11 Dec 2004
at 15:40
Re: At The Spirit
Korgan seems to relax in a bunch of ropes, but his eyes are vigilantly scanning the docks, and his curved sword is not far.
DM Scout
 GM, 136 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Sun 12 Dec 2004
at 13:09
In Malvaunt
In Malvaunt:

Once Rystro and Brin have hired their cart and driver, he answers their questions to the best of his ability.

”Well those dwarves are a clannish group of folks.  They have never hired me or any other of the other drivers.  There is a dwarven family that has several carts and they do all the hauling for them and the other dwarfs here.  As far as dealing, never been in or seen a dealing session with them.  They do that behind closed doors and no one knows their business.  Like I said, they are a clannish group of folks.  They do sell quite a bit of iron and steel ingots, most of which goes to the docks.”

On the Road:

Vaargurr turns and follows the road outside the walls as he takes Uulfurr for a ride.  The last day and night on board has left Uulfurr in the mood for a run and once he gets the bit between his teeth, he takes off at a gallop, the wind blowing in his face and Vaargurr’s.  In a matter of minutes he is past the dock area following the road around the walls of Malvaunt.  There are few people to be seen, but there are some fields of crops grouping outside the walls.  The guards on the walls take note of you passing.

Back at the Spirit:

The Harbor-Master seems to be finishing up with his inspection of the new sloop and is headed back down the dock by the Spirit.  Both of his guards or inspectors follow him.  You notice that he is looking at the Spirit and may stop.
Geth Helder
 GM, 82 posts
 INIT +3      AC 17/14/13
 HPS 16/16  F+4/R+6/W+4
Sun 12 Dec 2004
at 19:13
Re: In Malvaunt
Geth spent a few minutes more watching the surrounding area before returning to deck and grabbign his bow subtly. He turned to the others so his back was facing the other sloop, thus hopefully stopping anyone from reading his lips. Then he said quietly "I noticed that the three men on the sloop over there are trying to look like they are watching the Harbor-Master walk away but it's an excuse to give us more than a passing inspection. One of them gave the beggar that is sitting on the dock beside their vessel some sort of sign. After he did the beggar got up and walked to the end of the dock. There he went behind a stack of old wooden crates and a minute or two later, the man that seems to be in charge of the sloop got off and followed the beggar to the end of the dock away from us. I think trouble is brewing..."
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 277 posts
 HP 62/62  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +7F/+4R/+2W
Sun 12 Dec 2004
at 19:19
Re: In Malvaunt
Korgan nods. "I think you're right. Might as well get the last couple of seconds of rest before it all breaks loose." He smiles, then adds mockingly "Who knows? We might be saved by Vaargurr galopping to the rescue."
Vaargurr
 player, 68 posts
 AC 17 (FF17, T10) HP36/36
 F+9,R+2,W+6, Init +1
Sun 12 Dec 2004
at 21:13
Re: In Malvaunt
Vaargurr returns to the ship after an hours ride.
Merka
 player, 90 posts
 HP 19/16 AC 13 (T13/FF11)
 Init +2 Sav F3/R3/W4
Sun 12 Dec 2004
at 22:37
Re: In Malvaunt
At The Spirit

Merka's palms began to sweat.  He touched first the pocket that held Grup, then the pocket that held his spell components.  He was still untested in combat, and had none of his offensive spells prepared.  His mind raced.

A solution suddenly became clear.  Perhaps combat could be avoided after all.

"Korgan, Geth... A moment of your time, if you please.  I have an idea."

This message was last edited by the player at 22:38, Sun 12 Dec 2004.

Brin
 player, 208 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Mon 13 Dec 2004
at 01:00
Re: In Malvaunt
Brin hands the cart-driver two extra silvers.

"Thank you sir, for your information.  Though it may not seem much to you now, any such details can be valuable when entering a sizable transaction."

Brin throws out words he has heard the wheat merchants back home utter, hoping he sounds convincing.
Geth Helder
 GM, 83 posts
 INIT +3      AC 17/14/13
 HPS 16/16  F+4/R+6/W+4
Mon 13 Dec 2004
at 03:56
Re: In Malvaunt
Merka:
At The Spirit

Merka's palms began to sweat.  He touched first the pocket that held Grup, then the pocket that held his spell components.  He was still untested in combat, and had none of his offensive spells prepared.  His mind raced.

A solution suddenly became clear.  Perhaps combat could be avoided after all.

"Korgan, Geth... A moment of your time, if you please.  I have an idea."


At Merka's suggestion Geth simply nodded his approval. A slight twitch in his eye betrayed an emotion not easily identified in the ranger and his hand clasped his bow tight enough that his knuckles went white. Then it was gone as quickly as it came.
DM Scout
 GM, 137 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Wed 15 Dec 2004
at 14:26
Re: In Malvaunt
In the City

Brin and Rystro with their guide approach the district where the metal workers reside.  The cart driver leads you to a solidly stone built shop that has several chimneys at the rear, that have smoke pouring out of them.  You can hear the pounding of hammers and the smell of sulfur and ashes are in the air you are breathing.  There are two doors, one a normal doorway for people and a larger dual door entrance, sized for carts.  Both doors are closed.

Riding Along

Vaargurr, you get your mount under control after he gets the extra energy in his system out.  The rest of your ride is uneventful.

At the Spirit

The Harbor-Master stops at the Spirit.  He calls out a greeting to Captain Dell, who in turn jumps down to the dock to speak with him.  Captain Dell then motions to Merka to join them.

Merka is carrying the 50 gold or did I miss something?
Brin
 player, 209 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Thu 16 Dec 2004
at 16:31
At the Iron Merchant
With no other obvious course of action, Brin steps up to the doors and knocks as loudly as he can.

(OOC: Brin gave 50 gp to Merka to pay off the harbormaster)
DM Scout
 GM, 139 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Thu 16 Dec 2004
at 18:06
Re: At the Iron Merchant
You hear a lock or two being unlocked. Then the door opens and a Dwarven guard in full plate armor and a Waraxe looks up at you and asks, "Yes, how may we help you?"
Korgan Nkopno
 player, 278 posts
 HP 62/62  AC 17/17/12
 Ini +2, Sv +7F/+4R/+2W
Fri 17 Dec 2004
at 21:05
Re: At the Iron Merchant
Back at the ship, in spite of all the things happening, Korgan seems to be dozing off.
Merka
 player, 93 posts
 HP 19/16 AC 13 (T13/FF11)
 Init +2 Sav F3/R3/W4
Mon 20 Dec 2004
at 05:08
Re: At the Spirit
At The Spirit

When Captain Dale beckoned, Merka began descending the gangplank.  He worked his fingers and hands in a practiced and prescribed manner, pretending to be straightening and brushing off his robe at the same time.  Simultaneously, deep under his hood he murmured softly as an air elemental blinking its eyes, "Distrust and malice now suspend; treat Merka as a trusted friend."


"Yes, Captain Dale?  Is this the Harbormaster? He turned to the Harbormaster and extended a hand. "Merka, at your service, friend.  How may I help you?"

This message was last edited by the player at 05:45, Mon 20 Dec 2004.

Geth Helder
 GM, 84 posts
 INIT +3      AC 17/14/13
 HPS 16/16  F+4/R+6/W+4
Mon 20 Dec 2004
at 05:37
Re: At the Spirit
Geth watched Merka at work and nearly choked.

'Calm yourself. Remember your promise' the ranger thought to himself as he struggled to contain years of training. Taking a deep breath he positioned himself near the edge of the boat closest to the dock to allow him a greater firing line on anyone attempting to reach and board their sloop.
Rystro Blackblade
 player, 70 posts
 HP 20/20 AC 19
 In +1 Sv:F6 R2 W1
Mon 20 Dec 2004
at 12:23
Re: At the Spirit
Rystro was hoping that his companion would do the talking, but he didn't want any sort of hesitation. "Ah, yes, good day. We were wondering if we could do a bit of business with you."
Brin
 player, 210 posts
 Init +1 AC 13/12/11
 Hp 20/20 Sv F6 R1 W6
Mon 20 Dec 2004
at 14:09
At the Iron Merchant
Brin had been thinking what to say, and as Rytro spoke, he mentally shook the cobwebs from his brain.

"Yes sir dwarf, my fr-...er...partner speaks true.  We are sailing the north coast looking for trading opportunities, and your name came up as a fair dealer in iron ingots.  We are ready to make a ....rapid...transaction for a sizable amount of your product...can you tell us your prices?"
Ashes
 GM, 116 posts
Mon 20 Dec 2004
at 23:52
Re: At the Iron Merchant

Ashes is quiet.
DM Scout
 GM, 140 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Wed 22 Dec 2004
at 15:29
Re: At the Iron Merchant
At the Spirit

”Ah, Merka is it, just the person I needed to see.  Are you aware of the ‘Understanding’ that the former owner of this vessel and I have? Do you wish to continue with the advantages of this situation or not?”  The Harbor-Master seems ill at ease, as if something is bothering him and just can not seem to put his finger on it.


In Malvaunt at the Clan of Strongaxe

The guards answers you, ”Traders are always welcome at the House of the Clan of Strongaxe.  Please come in.”  Once you are inside, the guard will secure the door behind you and then lead you through another door into a small room with a table and several chairs.  ”Please sit down, Master Thorun will be here shortly.”  There are no other visible doors in this room except the one you can in.  The guard pulls on a rope hanging beside the door and waits.

In a few minutes, two more dwarven guards enter, outfitted like the other, plate armor and carrying waraxes.  Behind them an elderly dwarf comes in, he is wearing a leather work apron.  However under this, you catch a hint of very finely crafted chain armor.  A fair sized hammer is stuck into his belt.  The older dwarf sits down across from you at the table.  The two new guards stand behind you.

Looking both of you in the eye the elder Dwarf speaks, ”I do not know you! Why have you come to me and what do you want?  Time is money and I do not care to hear any talk that does not profit me or my clan.”  The old Dwarf is not one for small talk, he seems to go directly to the point.
Rystro Blackblade
 player, 71 posts
 HP 20/20 AC 19
 In +1 Sv:F6 R2 W1
Wed 22 Dec 2004
at 16:01
Re: At the Iron Merchant
"Ah, well, you are in luck. We did not come out here for just idle talk. We wish to strike a deal with you, sir. We'd like to hear your prices on your ore..."
DM Scout
 GM, 141 posts
 He who laughs last,
 just got the joke.
Wed 22 Dec 2004
at 16:09
Re: At the Iron Merchant
"You waste my time, if you want ore go else where.  I make the finest ingots to be found on the Moonsea.  Steel, Cold Iron, and Cast Iron ingots do I make.  You want to buy these or do you leave now?"