The North: The Ram's Head Inn.   Posted by DM Mike.Group: 0
Krystophan Telenthail
 player, 1 post
 HP 22/22    AC  18/14/14
 Init +3  Sv  +3F/+6R/+4W
Mon 17 Apr 2006
at 01:21
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
With night fast closing in, the twinkles of fire and lamplight could be seen top the hill in the distance. Gently spurring his horse onwards, Krystophan hoped he would arrive before too long. The cold wind that had sprung up cut deeply, chilling him down to the bone. Hopefully this settlement had some sort of an inn, as spending the night outside would be most unpleasant.

As he slowly road through town, his eyes glaced around at the buildings along the road. Simple village structures apparently. He tried to remember which town this was, but he had only briefly glanced at a map in the last town he'd traveled through. Looking further down the road, the large structure sitting atop the hill must be the inn. No other building would need to be so large. Seeing the stables to the side, he directs his mount there to stable him for the evening.

Pushing open the door to the inn, Krystophan allows his eyes a moment to adjust to the light inside. It was nice to be warm again as he threw back the hood of his cloak and made his way towards whom he assumed to be the innkeep. "I'd like a room for the night if you have one available."
Zojair Thalsk
 player, 185 posts
 HP: 9/ 9  F 1/ R 5/ W 3
 Init +6, AC16 /FF14 /T16
Mon 17 Apr 2006
at 01:25
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
Zojair enters the inn in a rush. He shakes off the cold and glances around quickly looking at the patrons. He spies Amras and gives a quick wave before heading toward his table. He waves the barmaid over and orders a warm tea and a loaf of bread while taking a seat opposite Amras.

"Amras, good to see you. I'd hoped you'd show. I've been a bit beside myself with the inactivity. I never got a chance to look in on our friend in a bubble. Military secrets and all that."

He breaks off a crust of bread after it arrives and it disappears in his sleeve. A munching sound is heard as the wizard examines the crowd over his steaming mug.
Lynxalthian Kanan
 player, 3 posts
 Hp 20/20  AC 16/14/12
 Init +2, Sv F+4/R+6/W+7
Mon 17 Apr 2006
at 04:02
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
After warming up a bit by the fire, Lynx heads to the Dwarven Innkeeper that he overheard the other travelers talk to.  He waits for the others to get their business taken care of before he speaks up, Excuse me miss, anymore rooms available? he says with a charming smile.
Amras Telperien
 player, 174 posts
 HP 35/35 F+5/ R+6/ W+3
 AC 15 / FF 13 / T 12
Mon 17 Apr 2006
at 22:51
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
"Good to see you again my friend. I was beginning to wonder if any one was going to show. I too learnt nothing of the blight, only that the druidess was happy with our report that her grove had been cleared of the beast."

Looking around he watches as the inn begins to fill, "Looks like they are in for a busy night!"
Zojair Thalsk
 player, 186 posts
 HP: 9/ 9  F 1/ R 5/ W 3
 Init +6, AC16 /FF14 /T16
Tue 18 Apr 2006
at 00:47
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
In these times, a good room makes a world of difference. Are you staying here or have you aquired other arrangements?
DM Mike
 GM, 531 posts
 ...
Tue 18 Apr 2006
at 01:33
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
The red-headed dwarven innkeep sees her opportunity to make some money and moves right in.

She walks to the center of the common room with a tray full of mugs of ale.

Right.  We got a lot of strange faces here tonight, and for that, I'm glad.

I got enough rooms to house six travellers, so long as they are willing to sleep two to a room.  Two beds, of course.

All the single room are already let out.  Long-standing visitors and locals who need 'em.

The rooms'll run 1 gold for the room, a bath, and a meal with drink.

That fella over in the corner already got one, and if he's willin' ta let someone in, the room's all paid for.

But if he's not willin', well, then either I got less room than I thought or you'll all have to get real cozy tonight.


She points to a slate with the menu for the night on it:

Pork Stew: small bowl - 10 coppers, big bowl 15 coppers.  Bread 5 coppers extra.

Roast Beef: 1 slice - with mashed potatoes and turnips with butter and spices - 2 silvers.  Bread 5 coppers extra.

Chicken Pie (Best in the land!  Volo's Favrit!): 2 silvers.

Ales: Ambercrown or Palehorse 5 coppers a mug

Wines: White or Red 1 silver a glass

Milk: 5 coppers a glass

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:03, Tue 18 Apr 2006.

Amras Telperien
 player, 175 posts
 HP 35/35 AC 16/13/13
 Ini +3 sv +5F/+7R/+3W
Tue 18 Apr 2006
at 07:33
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
After hearing the innkeep make her speech Amras turns to Zojair, "Well if is okay with you we better grab one of the rooms."

Catching the attention of the innkeep Amras removes a gold piece from his purse. "We'll take one of the rooms please." he says respectfully. "Any reason why so many strangers are here tonight? Is there something happening in the locality? he asks as he hands the coin over.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 07:33, Tue 18 Apr 2006.

Zojair Thalsk
 player, 187 posts
 HP: 9/ 9  F 1/ R 5/ W 3
 Init +6, AC16 /FF14 /T16
Tue 18 Apr 2006
at 10:39
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
Zojair signals the woman. He will request one room for himself and Amras. He will pay, of course. I'll cover lodging if you care to get our food?
(Assuming Amras is agreeable, he'll order the chicken pie and bread, along with a glass of white wine)
After setting up their room, Zojair will kick back and take in the bard. Or rather two bards. Thinking further, this is not good. Two bards always lead to fights. Tempramental creatures, bards.
Amras Telperien
 player, 176 posts
 HP 35/35 AC 16/13/13
 Ini +3 sv +5F/+7R/+3W
Tue 18 Apr 2006
at 14:47
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
Nodding in agreement Amras hands over the necessary coinage. "Well my friend what are your plans for the future now it looks our services have been dispensed with earlier than expected?"
Yeamon
 player, 6 posts
 HP 26/26  AC 16/13/16
 Init+7 Sv  +5F/ +6R / +5W
Tue 18 Apr 2006
at 15:35
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
Yeamon gulped down half his mug of ale before beginning on the steaming pie at a more civilized pace. It was his first proper meal of the day, and it took all his concentration to slow his metabolism down to a normal rate after the days exertion.

The conversation of the tall wood elf and the recently arrived man caught his attention. These two were obviously well acquainted, yet had not seen each other for some time. Their attire showed them to be seasoned travellers, and they seemed to exude confidence.

Yeamon tried to shut out the hubbub of the inn, straining to catch part of their conversation.
DM Mike
 GM, 535 posts
 ...
Tue 18 Apr 2006
at 21:17
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
A fat halfling wearing a fur vest and leather breeches waddles into the inn, followed by a sturdy female half-orc who wields a huge axe.

He winks to one of the regulars and calls out a greeting to the innkeeper, as if he is regular.

He takes up a tall stool at the bar and the half-orc stands next to him.

The dwarven innkeep comes over, chats with the hin and half-orc and then nods.

She goes back to the kitchen and comes back with four meals for the two newcomers.

As she serves them, she nods toward the party.

The halfling turns in his stool.

Oh ho, maybe I'll be gettin' some help for the caravan, then, eh?  Good, good.  Let me eat me meal, then I can joing you all to discuss our possible future together, eh?

The half-orc squints suspiciously and takes a big bite of her roast beef, showing her sharp canines.

==========================================

As the party talks and gets to know each other, the hin and the half-orc continue to eat and talk to Bruuna.

Once done, the halfling rubs his hands together, tells Brunna to bring a mug of ale and fresh cups over to the table and joins the party (almost as if he owns the very table itself!).

Ladoo Applewick at your service, me folks.  Caravan master, merchant, and fair trader.  I'm heading out tomorrow morning, makin' way for Yartar, then I'll winter over there.  You're free to stay there or move on as you like.

I'm lookin' for hands.  Hah!  Feet, heads, bodies, and eyeballs, too!  A dose of brains and heart would help, too.

Pay's more than fair, I say.  I match and often beat what other masters are offering by the season or by the trip.

This'll be me last trip, though, so we'll talk that rate of pay.

I take care of the food along the way, so you don't need to worry about that.

I'm haulin' a variety of goods, none of which is dangerous in the least.

I'd be able to offer experiences hands...say...50 gold coins for the trip each.

A fair rate, you'll find.


Sitting back, the merchant sips his ale and looks at you each over the rim of his mug.

The half-orc comes and stands behind him, her axe help over her shoulder.
Lynxalthian Kanan
 player, 4 posts
 Hp 20/20  AC 16/14/12
 Init +2, Sv F+4/R+6/W+7
Tue 18 Apr 2006
at 21:32
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
Lynx hears the proposal and thinks about it for a minute.  I'm in.  I'm still at a crossroads for my journey and wouldn't mind to have a bit of a distraction to clear my head.  I'm not the best fighter, but I can offer my support nontheless.  The names Lynxalthain Kanan, but everyone calls me Lynx. he says as he extends his hand to shake.
Amras Telperien
 player, 177 posts
 HP 35/35 AC 16/13/13
 Ini +3 sv +5F/+7R/+3W
Tue 18 Apr 2006
at 23:54
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
Looking across at Zojair Amras gives the offer some thought. "I am free at this moment in time and if my friend here agrees we will offer our help at the offered price.

Amras waits for Zojair's reply.
Yeamon
 player, 7 posts
 HP 26/26  AC 16/13/16
 Init+7 Sv  +5F/ +6R / +5W
Wed 19 Apr 2006
at 13:52
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
The appearence of the mismatched couple in the inn distracted Yeamon from the elf and human. He'd been about to walk over and introduce himself.

Instead, he remained seated and watched the inteplay between Brunna and the plump halfling. 'Must be worth something' he pondered on the halfling, given that the half orc was almost certainly a bodyguard. 'I can't believe it's love!'

At the halfling's approach to the the two adventurer's table, Yeamon makes his move, getting up and walking over the table, hovering at its edge. After listening to the offer, and the adventurer's responses, he bites the bullet.

Having spent most of his life within a monestary, 50 gold pieces is a meaningless sum, but the other's acceptance gives him confidence in the sum. As for the need of protection to transport harmless goods, that was a little more intriguing. Was this half-orc clearly insufficient?

"I will join you also, at the same rate" Yeamon's deep but soft voice announces. "Brother Yeamon", he introduces himself with a gentle nod; not quite a bow.
Yeamon
 player, 8 posts
Wed 19 Apr 2006
at 13:53
Re: The Ram's Head Inn

This message was deleted by the player at 13:54, Wed 19 Apr 2006.

Amras Telperien
 player, 178 posts
 HP 35/35 AC 16/13/13
 Ini +3 sv +5F/+7R/+3W
Wed 19 Apr 2006
at 14:18
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
Amras watches as the stranger approaches and listens as he accepts the job. As the monk introduces himself Amras nods and with a smile says "I am Amras Telperien, my friend here is Zojair, What brings you to this part of the realm Brother Yeamon?"
Yeamon
 player, 9 posts
 HP 26/26  AC 16/13/16
 Init+7 Sv  +5F/ +6R / +5W
Wed 19 Apr 2006
at 23:16
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
"The cold." Yeamon answers Amras softly, with the merest hint of a smile. He then gives the same small bow to both the elf and Zojair, before looking around to see if any of the other patrons will throw in their lot.
Zojair Thalsk
 player, 188 posts
 HP: 9/ 9  F 1/ R 5/ W 3
 Init +6, AC16 /FF14 /T16
Wed 19 Apr 2006
at 23:57
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
Zojair nods to Amras. He finishes up his meal and listens to the caravan master. Work like this should be a bit slower paced then I'm used to, but I have many studies to catch up on. Perhaps you could use a user of the art? He leans back and examines the others offering to join. He nods politely to everyone but takes an interest in Yeamon. He stares at his vestments and notices his fluid movements.
Krystophan Telenthail
 player, 3 posts
 HP 22/22    AC  18/14/14
 Init +3  Sv  +3F/+6R/+4W
Thu 20 Apr 2006
at 13:11
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
Listening intently to the offer put forth to the tavern, Krystophan stands and makes his way to the caravan master. "I would be interested in joining your little group. I'm assuming the skills of a ranger would be of use to you."

Giving the man a slight bow, he sits back down at the table, seeming to drift off into almost a trance yet still listening to all that occurs around him.
Lynxalthian Kanan
 player, 5 posts
 Hp 20/20  AC 16/14/12
 Init +2, Sv F+4/R+6/W+7
Fri 21 Apr 2006
at 02:48
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
Lynx greets everyone as they introduce themselves.  Hope you guys don't mind stories.  I am a storyteller at heart, and a seeker of stories of all kinds. he says, trying to get to know the others.
DM Mike
 GM, 546 posts
 ...
Fri 21 Apr 2006
at 05:52
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
Ladoo the merchant claps his hands.  Oh, this is splendid!  Normally I get a dozen questions, then I have to buy more drinks, and oh...this worked out so well!

The wagons are out in the public square if you'd like to see them or go meet some of the drivers.

And if you have any business to finish up, we have time.  We leave just after dawn kisses the sky.

Wonderful!


He gets up and makes ready to leave.
DM Mike
 GM, 547 posts
 ...
Fri 21 Apr 2006
at 06:08
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
As Ladoo gets up, the door to the Ram's Head opens and a thin boy is almost blown into the common room.

Someone shuts the door and the boy shakes off the heavy wool cloak he wears.

On his head is a bandage that is a little stained with old blood.

A rough-looking man of about 30 winters stands and waves the lad to him.

Hey Kiran, come sit here.  I'll pay for your meal.

Bruuna comes over and takes the boy by his arm.

Nah, he's helping me in the kitchen tonight, ain't ya, Kiran?

The boy starts to stammer out an answer, but Brunna sticks a piece of bread in his mouth and practically drags him into the kitchen.

From near the man who spoke, someone says <yellow?"Don' worry Jonno, you'll have time to prove you can be nice, too"</yellow> to which chuckles follow.

You manage to overhear someone mention "Malar", someone else say "hunt at his farm", and someone else say that Kiran was lucky to be alive.
Amras Telperien
 player, 179 posts
 HP 35/35 AC 16/13/13
 Ini +3 sv +5F/+7R/+3W
Fri 21 Apr 2006
at 08:12
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
As blunt as ever Amras asks loudly to the man who stood, "What caused that boy's wounds?"
Yeamon
 player, 10 posts
 HP 26/26  AC 16/13/16
 Init+7 Sv  +5F/ +6R / +5W
Fri 21 Apr 2006
at 09:32
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
Amras's reaction surprised Yeamon. The fact that he was out of his element, in a busy inn, put him at a disadvantage, being used to the quiet solitude of the abbey. He was not entirely comfortable in the noisy tavern.

However, his reflexes served him well, and he recovered before anyone would have noticed. Having not sat down, the monk glides away from the table, to a position a couple of paces to the side of a line drawn directly between Amras and the target of his question.
Lynxalthian Kanan
 player, 6 posts
 Hp 20/20  AC 16/14/12
 Init +2, Sv F+4/R+6/W+7
Fri 21 Apr 2006
at 16:22
Re: The Ram's Head Inn
Lynx stands and watches what is transpiring, those that are near him can hear him say Malar... now where have I heard that?

11:20, Today: Lynxalthian Kanan rolled 15 using 1d20+5. Bardic Knowledge.