4: Mail Call.   Posted by Arbiter.Group: 0
Arbiter
 GM, 595 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Sun 13 Mar 2011
at 15:07
4: Mail Call
After spending a week cooped up in the private hangar complex, even the luxury accommodations and lack of stress/getting shot at are starting to wear thin.  Fortunately, before cabin fever can set in, Bola returns with what he says is the group’s next mission.

He has a vid-chip, which he slots into the holo-vid and plays for you all.  It’s a recording of Splynn, looking as well-groomed and smug as ever.  “Hello all, I trust you’ve enjoyed your down time?” he asks rhetorically.  “Now that I’ve given you time to heal your injuries, repair the ship, and get in some R&R, it’s time to send you on your next job.  You’ll be happy to know that this one will at least take place in civilized space.”

An insert shot of a large, bustling commerce station appears next to his head.  “This is Korhal station, a delivery hub and distribution nexus a few light years from here.  I’ve received word that there are a couple of things waiting for me there and I’ve decided to send you to retrieve them for me.  The first is simple: I have a package waiting at the mail depot.  I want you to pick it up and deliver it back to the hangar on Gaurick, your current location.  I’ll make arrangements to have it shipped to my personal estate later.  The second task I want you to accomplish is a bit… trickier.  And it’s why I’m considering this a debt-reducing job.”

The station image is replaced by the face of an attractive, dark-haired woman.  None of you fail to notice that this image appears to be a mug shot.

“Kaara Zone,” Splynn says.  “She’s a person with whom I have done business in the past and, as it turns out, she has found herself in a bit of a jam.  Ms. Zone is currently being held in the Korhal detention center awaiting transfer to a CSA core world for trial and sentencing.  I can only assume it’s Star’s End for her after that.  I’d prefer if that didn’t happen.  I have need of her talents and I owe her a favor anyway.  So, your goal will be to get her out of there.  I don’t honestly care how.  Shoot the place up if you think you can—I will warn you that in addition to Espo forces, there is a small Imperial garrison there as well.  Return my package and Ms. Zone to Gaurick in one piece and I’ll be happy.  Return with the woman but without the mail, I’ll be annoyed.  Return with the mail but not the woman, I’ll be angry.  If I were you, I wouldn’t even consider returning with neither…”

The image of Zone disappears and the screen is filled with Splynn’s face again.  “Bola has the coordinates and the shipping information for the package.  Kaara is set to be transferred in three days.  So, I suggest you get moving.”

And, just like that, the screen goes dark.
Timothy Strickland
 player, 233 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Sun 13 Mar 2011
at 16:02
Re: 4: Mail Call
Excellent!  Collect the post.  Bust in and gab the girl.  Get Haskel killed buggin' out.  [Sparks laughs and grins at Haskel].

But seriously, this could be our most subtle job ever!
I have a cunning plan, my lord...
muses Sparks, staring at the blank holo view...
Roice Delfinn
 player, 268 posts
Sun 13 Mar 2011
at 19:58
Re: 4: Mail Call
Roice nods.  "Let's save the shop talk for hyperspace.  All hands on deck!"

He looks to Bola and asks wryly, "Any chance there's some petty cash available for 'mission supplies?'"

This message was last edited by the player at 20:34, Sun 13 Mar 2011.

Agial'ili
 player, 285 posts
 Blue and a Tech Wiz
Sun 13 Mar 2011
at 19:59
Re: 4: Mail Call
She looked up, pondering what they would need to get this done. First thing first would be to fuel off the Sun Tracker, making sure that consumables were topped up as well. However, it was the mission itself that made her wince.

"Captain, how do you think that we can get her out? Wouldn't we need extra resources to do that? Either weaponry and such or money to bribe? Even if we intend to do a break in, that would require specialist gear."
Harry Selous
 player, 185 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Sun 13 Mar 2011
at 21:00
Re: 4: Mail Call
"We'll need to get a look at that detention center first. Garret, Bola, Chomper, and I could probably shoot our way in if we had better weapons, but I don't wanna get in a prolonged firefight with just these ancient blasters." Harry says, rubbing his eyes as he spoke, "But it all depends on how many guards they've got, whether the storm troopers are clones or volunteers, all those little details."

He stood and headed for the ship, his new body armor clinking against itself, "Anyway, I hope that planet is close in case our hyper drive fails. I wouldn't want to miss her transfer because our engines gave out."
Arbiter
 GM, 598 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Sun 13 Mar 2011
at 22:56
Re: 4: Mail Call
"Yoosa got your supplies, yoosa got your pocket money," the Gungan grunts looking at Roice and Selous, "Don't care if yoosa thinkin' yoosa needin' shoppin', this ain't a grocery run..."

He joins the rest of the crew in boarding the ship.

A quick check by the newly reactivated Forem shows that the galley is full stocked with 3 months worth of good quality consumables.  Not top shelf stuff, but definitely not the bantha poodoo you were stuck with before.  He also reports that the supply cabinet has been restocked with medkits (10) and spare parts.

The droid takes his leave to begin a new inventory, muttering about how much has changed on board since he was last online.

And yes, it's delivered as passive-aggressively as it sounds.

Chatterbox greets you all eagerly, "I hope you all enjoyed your time off.  I for one had a splendid time recalibrating the sensors and monitoring those comm feeds Mr. Strickland asked me to watch.  Q7 is down in the engine room doing a final pre-flight check."
Roice Delfinn
 player, 270 posts
Mon 14 Mar 2011
at 00:54
Re: 4: Mail Call
"Very good, C-Box," says Roice, heading to the bridge.  "Let's button her up and shove off.  Sparks, get... tower clearance, or whatever, I guess."
Timothy Strickland
 player, 234 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Mon 14 Mar 2011
at 00:59
Re: 4: Mail Call
Roice Delfinn:
"Very good, C-Box," says Roice, heading to the bridge.  "Let's button her up and shove off.  Sparks, get... tower clearance, or whatever, I guess."

Aye, aye boss.  Sparks get comfortable again in his chair on the bridge and powers up his boards.

CBox, once we're in hyperspace, we can talk about those intercepts eh?
Arbiter
 GM, 599 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Mon 14 Mar 2011
at 02:21
Re: 4: Mail Call
In short order the ship lifts off and is back in hyperspace.  Despite all the crossed fingers and grimaces of expectation, the transition goes off without a hitch.

"So, what mission of daring-so are we off to this time?" Chatterbox asks conversationally as he dumps the collected comm intercepts to Strickland's station for the tech to peruse.  "I hope it's somewhere civilized this time.  That last planet...  Brrr..."
Garret Haskel
 player, 389 posts
Mon 14 Mar 2011
at 16:49
Re: 4: Mail Call
Harry Selous:
"We'll need to get a look at that detention center first. Garret, Bola, Chomper, and I could probably shoot our way in if we had better weapons, but I don't wanna get in a prolonged firefight with just these ancient blasters." Harry says, rubbing his eyes as he spoke, "But it all depends on how many guards they've got, whether the storm troopers are clones or volunteers, all those little details."


"If we go in and shoot up the detention center, the Imperial Garrison will respond. We'll need to find a quieter method, or make a distraction to draw off most of the security forces long enough for us to get away with our boss's friend.
Harry Selous
 player, 186 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Mon 14 Mar 2011
at 16:57
Re: 4: Mail Call
"That or hit them fast during the transfer. They'll be moving, open, and hopefully to far away from any real security to keep us from grabbing her." Harry suggests as they sit around on the ship.

"If we get there early, we can pick up the package, wait for the transfer, and then book it."
Chatterbox
 NPC, 25 posts
 The "brains"
 of the outfit...
Mon 14 Mar 2011
at 17:22
Re: 4: Mail Call
"Who are we planning on shooting today?" Chatterbox asks, enthusiastically.  "Sounds like quite the caper we've all been roped into."
Garret Haskel
 player, 390 posts
Mon 14 Mar 2011
at 17:27
Re: 4: Mail Call
"Local security forces at the place we're headed to. Imperial troops if things don't go according to plan. What is the local's attitude towards that Imperial Garrison?
Chatterbox
 NPC, 26 posts
 The "brains"
 of the outfit...
Mon 14 Mar 2011
at 17:36
Re: 4: Mail Call
"Shooting them, grabbing her...  Are you fellas planning a good ol' snatch n' grab?" the droid brain asks.  "Sounds like an awful risky job.  As for how the locals feel about the Imperial garrison?  I wouldn't have a clue.  I do know that most of the Corporate Sector sided with the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars and it was only threat of direct privatization that brought the whole area under even the nominal control the Empire enjoys here.  So, depending on how the locals hold a grudge, the Empire and its soldiers might not enjoy a very friendly working relationship with the locals..."
Timothy Strickland
 player, 235 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Mon 14 Mar 2011
at 17:37
Re: 4: Mail Call
We could be uber sneaky and devious.  What about using the Imperial Courier cover again?  Need to get some greys though.  I'd enjoy that...
Garret Haskel
 player, 391 posts
Mon 14 Mar 2011
at 17:43
Re: 4: Mail Call
"I don't think that is a good idea. If Bola saw you in an imperial uniform he'd shoot you; and I do not want to wear one again either."
Tarsk Bola
 NPC, 39 posts
 Yoosa best stay outta
 my way...
Mon 14 Mar 2011
at 17:50
Re: 4: Mail Call
"I can hear you, meat..." Bola calls from wherever he is on the ship (most likely his cabin).  "Streeklan' gets a pass, heesa useful.  Yoosa, I don't needin' an excuse ta shoot..."

(That might have actually been a joke, but it's hard to tell...)
Timothy Strickland
 player, 236 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Mon 14 Mar 2011
at 19:18
Re: 4: Mail Call
Tarsk Bola:
"I can hear you, meat..." Bola calls from wherever he is on the ship (most likely his cabin).  "Streeklan' gets a pass, heesa useful.  Yoosa, I don't needin' an excuse ta shoot..."

(That might have actually been a joke, but it's hard to tell...)

HA, ha, ha... Sparks burst into laughter at the 'joke'.  That's funny Bola. NO ONE needs an excus to shoot Haskel, not even Chomper!  HA, ha, ha... Sparks roars at his own joke.
Garret Haskel
 player, 392 posts
Mon 14 Mar 2011
at 22:01
Re: 4: Mail Call
Garret allowed himself a small chuckle at Bola's 'joke'. It was actually kinda funny.

"All right, you got me there."
Agial'ili
 player, 288 posts
 Blue and a Tech Wiz
Mon 14 Mar 2011
at 22:50
Re: 4: Mail Call
The sound of laughter even reached the engine room where she was assisting Q7 with the checkup of the vessel. She did not like it one bit that others had been messing with her ship. In that she and the little droid were agreeing wholeheartedly.

The laughter did snap her out of her dark mood. She glanced towards the open doorway where the sound was emerging from wondering what they found to be so funny. But, at least they were not busy trying to kill each other, which was a big plus by her book.
Roice Delfinn
 player, 271 posts
Tue 15 Mar 2011
at 01:05
Re: 4: Mail Call
Roice goes to the terminal in the crew lounge and punches up a viewer.  "C-Box, do we have anything on Korhal Station?  Map and demographics, and any planet info."

While the data (if there is any) loads, he muses.  "I suggest a recon flyby of the jail...  Let's rig some sort of a sensor and tracking 'malfunction,' and we'll set our approach to pop over the detention center, giving Sparks a chance to hit it with a focused scan."
Chatterbox
 NPC, 27 posts
 The "brains"
 of the outfit...
Tue 15 Mar 2011
at 16:40
Re: 4: Mail Call
"It's a public commerce outlet, big ol' shopping center in space.  It's extra-solar, not in a system.  I think that's to make coming and going easier since there are no gravity wells or mass shadows for ships to deal with.  From what I can glean from the InfoNet, it's not exactly the pride of the Corporate Sector retail system, a bit run-down and out of the way.  But it's close to Gaurick, so that's probably why Splynn uses it for mail drops."

The holo displays a detailed schematic of the station, rotating around as Chatterbox continues to speak.  "Their layout is a matter of public record, so I can show you exactly where everything is.  They make no secret about their detention center--probably meant to let would-be thieves know they've got a place to stash them if they're caught.  It's not really a prison, just a holding center."

A section near the core of the station lights up, labeled "Detention Center".

"I would recommend against attempting a focused scan.  It's deep enough in the station's frame that you'd have to linger, making it pretty obvious what you're trying to do.  Which reminds me, what are we trying to do?  Nobody seems to want to fill 'the droid' in on why we're all talking about busting someone out of jail."

He sounds offended.
Garret Haskel
 player, 394 posts
Tue 15 Mar 2011
at 16:48
Re: 4: Mail Call
"It is convenient having schematics. What we need to find out is how many people are in the detention center at any time, how many guns they have, and how long it would take both the imperial garrison and the local security forces to react to a rescue attempt."

Garret ignored CBox.
Timothy Strickland
 player, 237 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Tue 15 Mar 2011
at 16:50
Re: 4: Mail Call

Ours is not to reason why, CBox...

Whne we have a plan, we'll let you know.

Chatterbox
 NPC, 28 posts
 The "brains"
 of the outfit...
Tue 15 Mar 2011
at 16:57
Re: 4: Mail Call
"No, no...  I understand..." Chatterbox says in a hurt tone.  "After all, I'm only 'the help'...  I wouldn't want to get in the way of all you organic types and your electro-chemical processing...  I mean, I'm only a droid...  Not even a droid, just a droid brain..."

(He might have sniffled a little)