Sneakin' Out.   Posted by Arbiter.Group: 0
Arbiter
 GM, 911 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Sun 7 Aug 2011
at 18:01
Re: Sneakin' Out
"Of course, sir," the sergeant replies.  "I'm terribly sorry for your inconvenience.  Damned cult is usually just noisy, they don't normally resort to running down Shippers like yourselves.  But we've cleared them off for now and I'll see that a couple extra patrols are around for at least the rest of the day.  They shouldn't be a problem any more."

To Strickland's query about a restaurant he says, "Ooglio's, sir.  Hands down the best food in town, and at a good price, too.  I'd avoid any of the street carts you might see," he says in a conspiratorial tone.  "They don't have to have a license to operate and more than one of them are just serving what they pull out of Ooglio's dumpsters, if you catch my meaning."
Agial'ili
 player, 399 posts
 Blue and a Tech Wiz
Sun 7 Aug 2011
at 18:57
Re: Sneakin' Out
Aggie just stood silently a little behind Timothy, glancing shyly up to the scary troopers wondering when her heartrate would slow down a bit.
Timothy Strickland
 player, 402 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Sun 7 Aug 2011
at 19:19
Re: Sneakin' Out

Sparks is just about to leave, when he does a 'Columbo' on the Sergeant,
"Ooglio's, ok, oh and one more thing.  What is contraband around here?  Don't wanna upset you guys after you've been so friendly..."
Arbiter
 GM, 912 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Sun 7 Aug 2011
at 21:59
Re: Sneakin' Out
The sergeant looks nonplussed for a second, it's likely he's never actually been asked this question before.  "Oh, I get it," he says, "First time on Gaurick, eh?  Well, I'm sorry you Shippers received the greeting to our world that you did.  Those fanatics are getting worse every day, I tell you.  Anyway, in answer to your question," He thinks for a moment, "Personal blasters and vibroblades are allowed, anything heavier is restricted and needs to be left on your ship unless you can provide a valid bounty hunting license and prove you're here serving a warrant.  Let's see...  Any amount of chakroot snuff over 10 grams is considered intent to distribute and will be confiscated and you will be fined.  We do a lot of trade with an Arconan colony a few systems over, so salt is considered a restricted substance.  Same penalty as for the snuff.  No slaves, no stolen goods, no military-grade materiel...  Nothing Shippers like you haven't run into before, I'm sure.  Just keep your nose clean and there shouldn't be any problems with the authorities, sir."

One of the speeders blips its siren and the sergeant waves back at it.  "I've got to get back to my patrol.  You two have a nice day and I'm sorry once again for the trouble.  If you need further information, you can find the Quartermaster's office on any local directory.  They'll be able to tell you just about anything you need to know."

He gives you each a curt nod then heads back to where the security officers are piling back into the speeders.
Timothy Strickland
 player, 404 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Sun 7 Aug 2011
at 22:04
Re: Sneakin' Out
"Let's go Aggie, before the weirdie beardies come back!"

Sparks moves off towards town at a brisk walk.
Agial'ili
 player, 401 posts
 Blue and a Tech Wiz
Tue 9 Aug 2011
at 23:45
Re: Sneakin' Out
He did noyt have to tell her twice and with a backward glance she hurried after Timothy.

"I really hope not to see those again!"
Arbiter
 GM, 914 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Wed 10 Aug 2011
at 17:08
Re: Sneakin' Out
The spaceport, proper, is a rambling collection of buildings in various states of repair, all radiating outwards from the central docking facility.  The air is filled with a constant rumble and hum from ships coming and going, as well as from numerous speeders, swoops, and other repulsor vehicles traveling along the dusty roads.

People of various races--although predominantly the near-human Gaurickans--stroll about carrying out their various errands.

You can see several of the street vendors the security officer warned you about, hawking their various foods.  Most of them smell pretty good, actually, reminding the two of you that it's been a while since you last ate.

"Hey!  Hey, Shippers!" a voice cries, drawing your attention to a rather ragged individual that comes scurrying over.  He's all dirty hair and yellowed teeth as he grins at the two of you ingratiatingly.  "You're new here, I can tell.  Saw you get caught up with the loonies.  Glad you got away." He pauses in his clipped, slightly breathless schpiel to pull a box out of his pocket and sniff a pinch of the powder inside.  He sighs and sniffs in pleasure, then continues, "You Shippers look like you could use some advice?  Maybe a guide?  Looking for something?  You look like you're looking for something.  Maybe a nice dinner for you and your lady-friend, eh?" He waggles his eyebrows suggestively at Strickland.
Timothy Strickland
 player, 405 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Wed 10 Aug 2011
at 17:23
Re: Sneakin' Out
Sparks looks the man straight in the eye,
"Where going to Ooglio's for something to eat.  You can show us a safe path, for a small price.
First I need some local currency too, only got Imperial Creds you see. Help me with this, and there's a better reward..."


18:20, Today: Secret Roll: Timothy Strickland rolled 11 using 3d6 with rolls of 1,4,6. Con?   Frag!
Arbiter
 GM, 915 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Wed 10 Aug 2011
at 23:33
Re: Sneakin' Out
"Ooglio's?" the ruffian asks, "Swanky!  Okay, okay!  I can get ya where you need to go.  Moneychanger?  Yeah, I know a place." He grins again, "Not much point in showing you Shippers around if there's no chance of getting paid, huh?  Moneychanger's this way," he says, starting to walk off, then pauses.  "Unless," he says, slyly, "Maybe you're looking for something a little less... on the record?"
Timothy Strickland
 player, 406 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Thu 11 Aug 2011
at 05:11
Re: Sneakin' Out
Sparks winks at the guy,
"Now we understand each other...  Lead on friend."
Arbiter
 GM, 916 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Thu 11 Aug 2011
at 20:45
Re: Sneakin' Out
It becomes clear very quickly that the spaceport town has a "wrong side of the tracks" and that you crossed it fairly quickly once you started following your "guide".

Buildings are dark and dirty, in poor repair, and seem to loom over you, so that it's darker than the time of day would suggest.  You pass people sprawled in alleyways or huddled against walls, some apparently homeless, others obviously under the effect of something nasty, and still others fitting into both categories.  The locals in this area look ragged and rough, just like your guide, and many of them star after you with hungry expressions.

You're quickly becoming objects of interest.

"They don't see many Shippers down here," your guide comments.  "Leastways, not pretty folks like you two.  I'd recommend we hurry up," he mutters, quickening his pace.  You see him fumble in his tattered jacket, the butt of a holdout blaster briefly visible.
Timothy Strickland
 player, 407 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Thu 11 Aug 2011
at 21:05
Re: Sneakin' Out

Sparks quickens his pace, discretely drawing his dagger from his shipsuit and concealing the blade up his sleeve.

"Come along Aggie."
Agial'ili
 player, 402 posts
 Blue and a Tech Wiz
Thu 11 Aug 2011
at 22:02
Re: Sneakin' Out
She nooded towards Timothy, acknowledging that she understood while she held her eyes downcast for the most parts.

Glancing at the weapons, Aggie wished she had some weapons of her own. When you had a weapon, you were somebody, you could tell others what to do instead of being the one doing all the hard work.
Arbiter
 GM, 917 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Fri 12 Aug 2011
at 05:15
Re: Sneakin' Out
Your hurried footsteps take you down a dark alley--which isn't saying much, this place is filled with dark alleyways.  However, this one is less filthy the rest and there's a small storefront that your guide is leading you purposefully towards.  Outside, a couple of large men appear to be lounging against some crates.  But the professional way they eye your approach signals that they're actually guarding the place.

Your guide motions you inside, casting the occasional nervous glance back the way you came.
Timothy Strickland
 player, 408 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Fri 12 Aug 2011
at 07:01
Re: Sneakin' Out
Sparks stays very close to the guide (within stabbing distance), and stays cool...
Arbiter
 GM, 918 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Fri 12 Aug 2011
at 14:02
Re: Sneakin' Out
Inside is what appears to be a bodega.  Lots of strange items and food are piled and stacked about the store.  Some on pallets, some in barrels.  There's local music playing from an entertainment holo on the checkout counter (holos of scantily-clad native girls dance merrily to the quick-paced, festive-sounding music).

Behind the counter sits a bored-looking old man with long dreadlocks and a ratty fu-manchu to match.  A green cigar of some sort hangs from he corner of his mouth, wafting acrid-smelling smoke your way as he sourly watches you enter.

Your guide nods to the old man, who nods right back to him, then glances at a beaded curtain past which you can't see.

"This way," your guide mutters, "And mind your manners, okay?  I'd like to get paid."

After offering that odd bit of caution, he leads you into the back.

The three of you pass through a store room filled with more stacks and barrels of stuff you can't identify where you stop at a large, heavy door with a sliding window (currently closed).  The guide knocks in a rhythmic pattern and waits.  A second later the window slides open and a pair of suspicious eyes glare out at the three of you.

"Yeah?" a gruff voice asks.

"Brought some folks who want to do some business," the guide replies.

"What kinda business?"

"Moneychanging."

The eyes glare out at you for a moment longer, then the reply of "All right," is accompanied by the sound of several locks, a couple of chains, and a sliding bar being unlatched.  The door opens on creaky hinges and standing behind it is the owner of the suspicious eyes: another big goon like the guys out front guarding the bodega.

"Loo's in the back," he growls.  "Make it quick, though, it hasn't been a good day."

The guide, who was starting to enter, falters a bit, but quickly recovers and plasters that big, greasy smile back on his face.  "Right this way, my friends," he says to you.  "Quick stop here and you'll be all set!"
Timothy Strickland
 player, 409 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Fri 12 Aug 2011
at 22:30
Re: Sneakin' Out
Sparks firmly squeezes Aggies arm on the way in, whispering to Aggie.
"Don't say anything, and if I tell you to run, don't even look back."

Sparks follows the guide, leading Aggie out back.  Sparks waits for the guide to introduce him to Loo.  This should make Loo's day!
Agial'ili
 player, 403 posts
 Blue and a Tech Wiz
Sat 13 Aug 2011
at 22:13
Re: Sneakin' Out
She nodded, frightened at mr Stricklands words. But she followeed him in, determined to not show people how scared she was. Holding her head demurely, her eyes however were busy, checking for ways that might help their survival.
Arbiter
 GM, 920 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Sat 13 Aug 2011
at 23:19
Re: Sneakin' Out
You hear the voice before you're escorted into the office, "I don't care what it takes, you get those crates back before those fanatics burn them or whatever it is they do to make their poodoo gods happy!"

"Like I said," the guard mutters, "Bad day..."

He knocks on the door and the voice stops in mid-rant.  "Business, I have to go.  But you get those crates or you better not show your face on this planet.  Come in," the voice on the other side of the door says.

The guard opens the door and waves you in.  "Good luck," he says in a disinterested tone.

Your guide pushes you both in, very obviously staying behind the both of you to stay out of sight.

The office is reasonably nice, nowhere near what you're used to seeing from Splynn, but still whoever owns it is doing all right for himself.  Dark, native woods and red velvet curtains frame a large, stone desk covered with stacks of hardcopy.

Behind the desk reclines...  Well, it must be a Hutt, but it looks like no Hutt either of you have ever seen before.  It's small, shorter than Strickland, and thin.  With its smooth, violet skin and almost svelte shape, the Hutt looks more like an eel or snake than the usual flabby slug that is considered typical of the species.

The Hutt looks up as you enter, an irritated scowl transforming into a practiced, ingratiating smile.  "Welcome, welcome!  How can I be of service, my fine Shippers?"
Timothy Strickland
 player, 410 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Sun 14 Aug 2011
at 02:57
Re: Sneakin' Out
Sparks steps closer, taking in the rooms interior, including the dim corners, walking upto the desk.
"Good day to you sir.  I understand you are having a bad day?
I sincerely hope to brighten it up for you with a lucrative business proposition."


Sparks allows the words to sink, and the Hutt a chance to reply before continuing.

"Our last job paid us in a rather large denomination Imperial Credstik, and I'm findin' it hard to break up.
I heard you could help me with that?  What is the exchange rate arround here?"

Agial'ili
 player, 404 posts
 Blue and a Tech Wiz
Sun 14 Aug 2011
at 19:18
Re: Sneakin' Out
The Hutt was a surprise. She had seen them before, but this could not have been a Hutt surely? So small, how could he impress his underlings? Everybody knew that their bulk was a sign of being succefull. Would this be a bad defect Hutt, one failing to be a proper one?
Loogie the Hutt
 NPC, 1 post
Mon 15 Aug 2011
at 01:54
Re: Sneakin' Out
"And you'd like something a little less... conspicuous?" The Hutt asks.  "Well, I can certainly help with that," he continues before either of you can reply.  "But why come to me?" he looks skeptically at Strickland, "We're in the hinterlands, even by Corporate Sector standards, surely you'd be long gone before the local moneychangers caught wind of any irregularity in your credit exchange.  Is there perhaps a story behind your prize?  Or is Jayden just a better salesman than I give him credit for?  Yes, I see you back there, Jayden," the Hutt grumbles as your guide squeaks and tries to hide a bit more behind Aggie.  "I hope you haven't brought trouble to my house," he's talking to the Gaurickan, but looking at Strickland, "You know how I detest trouble."
Timothy Strickland
 player, 411 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Mon 15 Aug 2011
at 17:24
Re: Sneakin' Out
"Jayden is a good man indeed, and a credit to your... organisation."
Sparks tips a wink at the guide, hoping to allay his fears.

"I do require discretion, which is why I'm here.  Just because we're in the hinterlands, doesn't mean I wanna be the talk of the town!
Splashing cash and attracting allthe wrong kind of attention."
Sparks steps right up to the table, friendly smile and hands wide in peace.

"The thing is, the money is mine, but I don't wanna compromise the people who paid me," Sparks expression changes to deadly serious...
"and I don't wanna have to kill anyone getting back to my ship.  That's why I'm here."

Sparks friendly smile returns as quickly as it faded
"I am looking to build some business relationships here too.  Gonna be around for a while I reckon.
It would be too easy to stiff some poor changer and run.  Much harder to gain a chip in the big game though."

Sparks was remarkably cool, if not a touch arrogant in the knowledge that Loogie could have them both killed in an instant.
Sparks was a player, and he made that very clear to Loogie.

"All I want is to cash the credstik, pay you and Jayden for the privilage, and spend some more of it on mostly legal kit.
Business done, I'll be returning to my ship.  What say you?"

Loogie the Hutt
 NPC, 2 posts
Tue 16 Aug 2011
at 01:12
Re: Sneakin' Out
"Well, when you put it like that," the Hutt replies, "Thirty-percent cut goes to the house, no discussion, no deals.  If you don't like it," the Hutt waves a hand, "feel free to go find yourself a better deal."

You sense more than hear the large guard from outside step into the room.
Timothy Strickland
 player, 412 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Tue 16 Aug 2011
at 20:03
Re: Sneakin' Out
"You'll never know what a deal you just threow away..."
Sparks shrugs and spins on his heels, commenting to Aggie a little too loud,

"You were right Legs!
Jayden, we need to find someone with chops if you want payin'..."

21:00, Today: Secret Roll: Timothy Strickland rolled 16 using 3d6 with rolls of 5,5,6. Con.