6: Reunions.   Posted by Arbiter.Group: 0
Arbiter
 GM, 2375 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Thu 13 Mar 2014
at 04:09
Re: 6: Reunions
OOC: Animal handling will work.  And, yeah, -1D until you get actual medical treatment.  You're down a leg and in substantial pain.
Harry Selous
 player, 731 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Thu 13 Mar 2014
at 05:46
Re: 6: Reunions
Gotchya, rolled it with 2 CPs cause I figure it'll be a tough roll and want to make sure my dog is safe.

Harry Selous rolled 6 using 3d6 with rolls of 3,2,1. Animal handling.
Harry Selous rolled 4 using 1d6 with rolls of 4. cp animal handling.
Harry Selous rolled 5 using 1d6 with rolls of 5. cp animal handling 2.
Total = 15

Roice Delfinn
 player, 817 posts
Mon 17 Mar 2014
at 18:29
Re: 6: Reunions
"Everyone sound off when strapped in.  Keep shields at full spread," he says as he throws a glance at Q7, "and ignore me if I suggest otherwise."
Arbiter
 GM, 2376 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Mon 17 Mar 2014
at 18:44
Re: 6: Reunions
Selous manages to get Chomper secured in an acceleration couch.  The Sandslasher gets into the seat amiably enough, but doesn't like the restraining straps at all.  It takes Harry several very stern rebukes and an even sterner punch in the skull to get Chomper to quit trying to shred the belts.

Just in time, too, as Roice starts slewing the ship around, sending Selous tumbling back to his own seat with many an exclamation of pain (and perhaps a few choice words about the pilot's parentage?).

The ship's path takes it lower into the turbulent, rain-filled atmosphere.  Flying is becoming increasingly difficult and even the roar of the engines can't drown out the concussive thunder blasts all around.

Q7 chuckles and nods at Roice, making sure the ship is surrounded by a bubble of protective energy on all sides.
Harry Selous
 player, 732 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Mon 17 Mar 2014
at 19:46
Re: 6: Reunions
Harry continues to curse as he straps himself in.
Arbiter
 GM, 2378 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Fri 21 Mar 2014
at 19:54
Re: 6: Reunions
As the Tracker descends, the two beacon signals differentiate further.  Soon Bulyip is able to report that the two signals are separated by roughly 100 kilometers, one relatively close in the middle of a large swampy area.  The second appears to be deep in the looming mountains to the north.

This second signal is the one that, earlier, had an accompanying audio broadcast.

Roice's advice to Q7 about shield distribution pays off several times as lightning wraps around the shield bubble.  Without a charge differential to follow, the bolts continue on their path to or from the ground, not lingering to blow out any more vital ship components.

But the static charge build up is playing merry hell with the sensors and communications equipment.  Much longer and the ship will be flying blind.
Bulyip
 player, 280 posts
 Fear the Bulyip!
Sat 22 Mar 2014
at 19:08
Re: 6: Reunions
Shaking from the nervous energy the Aleena has about all of this, the turbulence is making it difficult to observe the extra movement of Bulyip.

Making his own best guess, he voices his opinion, "What do ya think? Go with the audio signal? That's the repeater voice? Maybe the origin, and the other is a booster? Two groups both needing help, but using different gear? We should pick one soon before we are sensor blind."
Roice Delfinn
 player, 818 posts
Wed 26 Mar 2014
at 19:57
Re: 6: Reunions
"We can't put down in a swamp, especially in this weather.  Zero in on the other signal."
Arbiter
 GM, 2381 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Thu 3 Apr 2014
at 17:26
Re: 6: Reunions
Triangulation complete, the Tracker is set on course for the more distant signal in the mountains.

The distant peaks, lit by hellish bolts of lighting dancing around their summits, loom closer in the darkness.  Updrafts making flying more and more treacherous the closer the ship gets to the mountains.

OOC: Roice, fly or die...
Roice Delfinn
 player, 819 posts
Thu 3 Apr 2014
at 20:13
Re: 6: Reunions
15:12, Thu 03 Apr 2014: Roice Delfinn rolled 26 using 6d6+3 ((2,5,6,3,3,4)).
Harry Selous
 player, 733 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Fri 4 Apr 2014
at 04:41
Re: 6: Reunions
Harry closed his eyes and clenched his fists around the safety belts that secured him to his chair. Damned air ships. every day he was more and more certain they'd be the death of him.
Arbiter
 GM, 2382 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Mon 7 Apr 2014
at 19:53
Re: 6: Reunions
Roice maintains control through the dangerous updrafts and windshears as the storms slam against the mountain range.

The Tracker cautiously slips in between the massive granite peaks, which rise up out of the surrounding terrain as if they were dropped in the middle of the surrounding swampy forest.

Sensors and communications clear up as the mountains serve as lightning rods, clearing some of the static out of the air.

Immediately, scanners ping on numerous detected objects that don't jibe with the surrounding stone.  Refined metals and plastics, weak electromagnetic signatures.  It's clear that you're approaching the site of a crashed spaceship.
Bulyip
 player, 281 posts
 Fear the Bulyip!
Wed 9 Apr 2014
at 04:17
Re: 6: Reunions
Jaw dropping open, Bulyip leans on the dash to get as close as he can to the window and view screens. "Looks like they crashed. How big of a debris field we have going? One ship, a bunch of escape pods? That could have been us if you didn't fly this ship so well in all of that storm and mynocks. We'd better land this thing safe, as not many others will come after us I bet."
Roice Delfinn
 player, 820 posts
Wed 9 Apr 2014
at 18:23
Re: 6: Reunions
Roice scans the sensors and viewport for anyplace that might provide some semblance of protection from the fierce winds.

He toggles the ship intercom.  "Hey Kaara, wakey-wakey," he says loudly.  "Come see if you can make out anything of this debris."

He shuts it off and rolls his eyes.  "Can't believe she slept through the last hour."
Arbiter
 GM, 2385 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Fri 11 Apr 2014
at 15:02
Re: 6: Reunions
Roice manages to find some brief respite under a rocky overhang that cuts the turbulence down to merely "almost completely unmanageable".

Not long after his message, Zone stumbles onto the bridge.  To put it simply, she looks like poodoo.  The normally well-groomed and stylish woman is a mess.  Her hair looks like she's been sleeping in a turbine, her face is pale and devoid of its usual artful application of makeup, and her clothes are rumpled.

"Asleep?" she groans?  "How could you expect me to *urp* sleep through...  Oh gods!"

One hand clutching her stomach and the other clamping over her mouth, she runs off back down the corridor without another word.

The scanners have finished their analysis and there's a larger collection of debris not far ahead.  Enough, by the computer's best estimate, to account for most of the mass of a small ship.

It's also in that direction that the beacon signal is now pining quite strongly.
Roice Delfinn
 player, 821 posts
Mon 14 Apr 2014
at 19:12
Re: 6: Reunions
Roice muscles the Tracker through the wind to the concentrated debris field, and looks for a place to put down.

"Harry, can you make it to the turret?  Not that there's anything down there necessarily that could shoot at us, but better safe than sorry."
Harry Selous
 player, 734 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Mon 14 Apr 2014
at 20:09
Re: 6: Reunions
"Sure." Harry said in to the comms, rolling his eyes and unbuckling himself, grunting in pan as he stood.

"Stay." He commanded Chomper as he began to limp his way toward the turret.
Arbiter
 GM, 2386 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Tue 15 Apr 2014
at 16:50
Re: 6: Reunions
OOC: Poor Selous.  Boy, I bet you wish that Tactical station was done, huh? ;)

As Harry limps laboriously towards the gunwells, Roice tries to find a place to park the 45-meter freighter.  Fortunately, the other ship crashed in a broad gully, probably as a last ditch attempt on the part of the pilot to wind up somewhere they could be found and rescued.

Roice is able to bring the Tracker down a few dozen meters from the crash site.
Roice Delfinn
 player, 822 posts
Tue 15 Apr 2014
at 16:57
Re: 6: Reunions
Roice unbuckles.  "Keep scanning," he says to Q7.  "Bul, you're with me."

He goes toward the loading ramp.  "We've landed, if you noticed," he shouts to Kaara.  "Feeling up to some fresh air?"

He unlocks the munitions locker at the top of the ramp, and gets out his personal ST2.  He tosses a holdout pistol to Bulyip.

Thinking twice, he grabs a polymer poncho and throws it over his head.  He toggles his earpiece.

"Radio check."
Harry Selous
 player, 735 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Tue 15 Apr 2014
at 17:18
Re: 6: Reunions
"Check", Harry confirmed, finally strapping himself in to the turret, "I'd probably be of better use out there with my X45 than in here on the turret." He added, despite knowing that would require him to get up again and limp around the ship some more.
Bulyip
 player, 282 posts
 Fear the Bulyip!
Fri 18 Apr 2014
at 19:33
Re: 6: Reunions
Catching the blaster, the Aleena is happy to tuck it into his belt as he joins Roice for another excursion outside of the ship. Seeing the poncho pulled out by Roice, Bulyip copies the man, and grabs one for himself. He even copies the same mannerisms of Roice in fixing the poncho in place, and rushing to walk beside him. The shorter Aleena needs to hurriedly move his legs in order to keep pace.

"Loud and Clear!" Bulyip replies to Roice, though doesn't use the radio, just speaking beside the man.

"Let's go and check this out. I wonder how long that has been here broadcasting?"
Arbiter
 GM, 2393 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Tue 22 Apr 2014
at 13:43
Re: 6: Reunions
Everyone as ready as they're going to be, Roice lowers the Tracker's ramp.  Before it's even all the way down, the Hapan and the Aleena are assaulted by wet, stinging gusts of rain-laden air lashing into this new, unexplored territory.  It's a good thing both thought to put on ponchos as their exposed faces are almost instantly soaking wet.

Nothing for it but to go, Roice and Bulyip head carefully down the now-wet ramp while Selous covers them from the ship's ventral turret.  Outside of the aura of the ship's landing lights it's practically pitch black outside--even though time-wise it's midday--only the flashing lightning illuminating further out.

A large, dark mound--the shattered remains of a small freighter--lies ahead, a trail of debris leading from the Tracker's landing site to the cracked, torn hull.
Bulyip
 player, 285 posts
 Fear the Bulyip!
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 03:35
Re: 6: Reunions
Walking forward, Bulyip comments, "Lightning looks bad. Maybe we should bring one of them droid's along act as a lightning rod."

Taking a step onto the ground, he tests to see just how solid it is before letting his full weight down on the surface.

Calling out as he advances towards the freighter mound, Bulyip offers, "We here for helping! Any survivors need helping?!"
Roice Delfinn
 player, 823 posts
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 21:25
Re: 6: Reunions
Roice pauses at the top of the ramp and looks out at the dark terrain.

"Uh...  Hang on."

He turns and trots back to the supplies locker and grabs a pair of glowrods.  He fixes one to his collar, and the other to the barrel of the rifle, then turns them both on.

He grabs another and brings it to Bulyip.
Harry Selous
 player, 738 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Thu 24 Apr 2014
at 22:53
Re: 6: Reunions
Harry, without orders to do otherwise, remained in the turret, looking out over the top of the ship and scanning in all directions, hoping not to get caught unawares.