3: Taking Stock.   Posted by Arbiter.Group: 0
Agial'ili
 player, 173 posts
 Blue and a Tech Wiz
Wed 25 Aug 2010
at 17:48
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Engineering comlink

"Engineering ready for take off."
Harry Selous
 player, 72 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Wed 25 Aug 2010
at 18:03
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Harry looks for any sort of high ground or look out position that might provide them with a little advanced warning if anything were going to happen. If he sees any, he turns on his swoop, moves up on to it, and then shuts down his swoop again.
Arbiter
 GM, 396 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Wed 25 Aug 2010
at 18:07
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Harry Selous:
Harry looks for any sort of high ground or look out position that might provide them with a little advanced warning if anything were going to happen. If he sees any, he turns on his swoop, moves up on to it, and then shuts down his swoop again.

OOC: Nope.  It's called a "salt flat" for a reason. ;)

On the plus side, except for the mesa field behind you, you've got a basically uninterrupted view up to the horizon in all directions.

Roice Delfinn
 player, 203 posts
Thu 26 Aug 2010
at 02:43
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"There's more than this," Roice says to the man.  "It's all yours, when we get all ours."
Arbiter
 GM, 397 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Thu 26 Aug 2010
at 12:37
Re: 3: Taking Stock
The man nods, "Fair enough.  I've seen yours," he puts his dirty fingers into his mouth and blows a piercing whistle.

All around the area hatches--previously concealed by a coating of sand and dirt--pop open and men of various species clamber out of the hidden holes.  In moments, a ring or miners--approximately a dozen or so--surround the area.  Like the bandits from before, several are carrying handmade slugthrowers.  A few others haul up crates from the holes they were in.

"Now here's what we have to offer," the lead miner says.  He waves one of the men with a crate forward, who obligingly brings up the box.  The leader takes the crate from him and sets it on the back of the speeder.  "You're gonna want to cover your mouth with something," he says, wrapping a length of rag across his face like a mask.
Harry Selous
 player, 73 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Thu 26 Aug 2010
at 13:19
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Harry's hand shot straight to the handle of his blaster and drew it as the men came out of their holes. If they got to have their slug throwers in hand, he'd have his blaster.

 If shit hit the fan, he'd have to rely on the rest of the crew to pull his ass out of the fire, and he didn't like that idea when he remembered how dysfunctional the group had been thus far.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:20, Thu 26 Aug 2010.

Roice Delfinn
 player, 204 posts
Thu 26 Aug 2010
at 23:13
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Roice looks to Harry and points to his nose and mouth before lifting his undershirt up to below his eyes.  He waits for Harry to cover up before nodding to the miner.
Harry Selous
 player, 75 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Thu 26 Aug 2010
at 23:21
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Harry nods and moves his shirt up to his face, keeping his eyes uncovered, and one hand on his blaster.
Arbiter
 GM, 400 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Thu 26 Aug 2010
at 23:42
Re: 3: Taking Stock
The miner opens the crate, revealing that it's full of what looks to be nothing more than purple dust.

"This is it, raw Neuron Pixie spice," he says, voice muffled by the scarf across his mouth.  "I've got 3 more just like it if you've got the rest of the goods your boss promised in the deal."

He closes the lid before the wind can blow away any of the spice and pulls down the rag from his face.  "So, I guess you should just call your ship and we finish this, huh?"
Harry Selous
 player, 76 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Fri 27 Aug 2010
at 01:33
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Harry moves the cloth away from his face as the lid closes, then starts up his swoop and drives over to Roice.

"Captain," He says, "If the goods are fine and good, I'd like to suggest we not bring the ship in and have it surrounded. I know these folk are probably honest people, but chances aren't something I like to take." He looked around at all the miners around them, "Maybe if they all move to one side, and we stay on this side, and the crates meet in the middle, we can pull off this trade with the least chance of betrayal."
Arbiter
 GM, 401 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Fri 27 Aug 2010
at 16:17
Re: 3: Taking Stock
The miner listens to Harry advise Roice, apparently unconcerned at the suggestion that he and his group might betray them.  However, after a moment he does start to get fidgety, looking back to the mesa field in the background.  "Man, would you shut that thing down, please?" he says to Selous, expression and tone anxious.

"Look," he says, a bit impatiently, "Could you just get your ship over here so we can get this done?  We've been on the surface long enough and it's gonna be night before too long.  There aren't enough credits in the galaxy to convince me to stay up here when the sun goes down."
Garret Haskel
 player, 271 posts
Sat 28 Aug 2010
at 00:11
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Garret rotated the turret enough to allow him to see what was moving.
Roice Delfinn
 player, 204 posts
Sat 28 Aug 2010
at 03:52
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Roice nods at Harry, but motions for him to wait as the lead miner talks.

"You understand my friend's concern, surely," he says to the miners as he reaches for the comm microphone.  "But as my granddad used to say, 'Always trust a nervous local.'"

He puts the microphone to his mouth and quietly says, "Bring her in, Sparks.  Nice and easy."

He replaces the microphone, then glibly says, "Said that right before the Tuskens shot him in the back."

He waits a beat to see if the mood lightens.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:52, Sat 28 Aug 2010.

Harry Selous
 player, 77 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Sat 28 Aug 2010
at 02:53
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Harry turns off his swoop, sighing. These locals were far to nervous about something that they must be used to dealing with, and having a powered down swoop when you got attacked seemed like a worse idea then being able to haul ass as soon as something came over the horizon.
Arbiter
 GM, 402 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Sat 28 Aug 2010
at 19:35
Re: 3: Taking Stock
The miner calms down again when the swoop's engine is off.  "I know, it seems paranoid, but them 'slashers can hear for miles and they don't have much to do but look for and think about food.  Not much left to eat on this dying ball of rock but their own kind and whatever we're stupid enough to leave out for 'em."

He settles down even more when Roice calls for the ship.  "Get the crates up!" he calls to his men, several of whom duck back underground to return shortly with 3 more crates, bringing the total to 4.
Garret Haskel
 player, 272 posts
Sat 28 Aug 2010
at 19:45
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"We've got trouble. More of those predators from earlier are moving in the direction that Selous and Roice went."
Harry Selous
 player, 78 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Sat 28 Aug 2010
at 19:55
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Harry shrugged as the man explained things. He tried to think of whether he'd heard of slashers before back when he was working as a real hunter. The thought of predatory animals didn't bother him as much as it seemed to bother the miners. He'd made a career, not to mention a small fortune, out of seeking out animals that most people left planets to avoid.
Agial'ili
 player, 175 posts
 Blue and a Tech Wiz
Sat 28 Aug 2010
at 21:47
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"Then we better hurry, I am not in the mood to tangle with those again. They were nasty."
Timothy Strickland
 player, 117 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Tue 31 Aug 2010
at 14:01
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Sparks eased the ship towards the rendevouz, not confident to go too quickly.

14:54, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 9 using 4 dice with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 5,1,1,{Wild}2. Starship Piloting.

Once moving towards the correct heading (next round), Sparks checks on Haskels comment.

14:59, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 19 using 6 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 3,{Wild}4,4,3,2,2. Sensors (Search).
Arbiter
 GM, 405 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Tue 31 Aug 2010
at 15:13
Re: 3: Taking Stock
The "Last Resort" moves off in the direction of the salt flat under Strickland's guidance.  He checks the sensor readings and picks up multiple life forms all moving in a group in the same direction.  The ship easily outpaces the animals below, but at the speed they're going it won't take them long to reach the area where Roice and Selous took the vehicles.

"That doesn't look too good, huh?" Chatterbox says over Strickland's headset.  "You want me to contact the Captain and give him a head's up or are we sticking to our orders of radio silence unless absolutely necessary?"
Timothy Strickland
 player, 118 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Tue 31 Aug 2010
at 17:56
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Arbiter:
"That doesn't look too good, huh?" Chatterbox says over Strickland's headset.  "You want me to contact the Captain and give him a head's up or are we sticking to our orders of radio silence unless absolutely necessary?"



Bridge
Q7, I need you on the bridge.  Check out these sensor readings, and give me an ETA for the lifeforms reaching the Cap'n.

Then on the comms,
Last Resort to Flight.  On our way.  Be advised possible x-rays approaching your position.  Timely exchange required.  Comms out.
Roice Delfinn
 player, 205 posts
Wed 1 Sep 2010
at 00:59
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Roice listens to the transmission, and throws a look at the lead miner.  "Copy, Last Resort, understood."

He jumps off the speeder and begins to quickly untie the crates.  "Eyes peeled, Harry!"
Harry Selous
 player, 79 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Wed 1 Sep 2010
at 03:23
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Harry grinned. This was his kind of job. Already they'd dealt with an attempted hijacking, and now they were going to gun down some animals.

He prepped his blaster, and kept his eyes peeled for any movement.
Q7-P10
 NPC, 21 posts
 Beedle boop!
Wed 1 Sep 2010
at 23:41
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Q7 arrives on the bridge as the ship pulls away from the mesas and the growing horde of rat-things below.  The floating droid bumps rudely against Strickland, forcing him over so he can plug into his co-pilot pedestal.  He sits in silence for several seconds, then blats out a series of angry-sounding Binary noises which Chatterbox translates via headset, "It seems the damage to the speaker system also interferes with the translation module I set up for Q7.  He's, umm, less than pleased."

Chirping and blipping sullenly to himself for a moment, the astromech makes more straightforward-sounding noises, followed by Chatterbox's explanation.  "He says that at their present speed they will reach the area the Captain is waiting in approximately 10 minutes.  At our present rate of speed, we will reach that same area in approximately 2 minutes."
Arbiter
 GM, 406 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Wed 1 Sep 2010
at 23:43
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Roice and Selous: You can hear the drone of the Last Resort's repulsors in the distance, growing louder as the ship approaches.  Chatterbox pipes up over the speeder's comm, "We should be there shortly, Captain.  I wouldn't recommend starting anything time-consuming if I were you."