3: Taking Stock.   Posted by Arbiter.Group: 0
Timothy Strickland
 player, 130 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Tue 14 Sep 2010
at 20:56
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Sparks runs for the Comms station, shouting into his headset mic, "Cbox! Charge up the main transmitter array, full power!",

and then screaming at the Captain, "Roice, a direct attack run is our only chance!  Both weapons can fire, and I'll fry his comms with jamming."

Sparks uses one of his pre-programmed shortcut command codes to activate a tight, focussed, high power transmission dead ahead, designed to flood/jam/blow fuses in the targets comms array.

21:55, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 15 (20 excluding the wild die) using 7 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of {Wild}1,5,2,3,2,5,2. Sensors (Jamming).
Harry Selous
 player, 90 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Tue 14 Sep 2010
at 21:08
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"come on, come on." Harry can be heard to murmur through clenched teeth, waiting for the ship to get lined up against the hostile ship, "Just a little closer. Come to daddy."
Garret Haskel
 player, 287 posts
Tue 14 Sep 2010
at 23:17
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Garret aimed the turret at the blastboat that had just taken pot shots at the ship. He would sync his fire with whoever was currently piloting the ship.

"As soon as we get those shields down target the engine. Then we should get out of this system before his friends join the party."

OOC:
19:16, Today: Garret Haskel rolled 5 (11 excluding the wild die) using 4 dice with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 3,2,{Wild}1,5. starship turret damage.
19:15, Today: Garret Haskel rolled 29 using 6 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 4,5,1,5,5,{Wild}6(+2). starship gunnery.

Roice Delfinn
 player, 211 posts
Wed 15 Sep 2010
at 01:04
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Roice vaults into the pilot's chair and rams the throttle forward.

"Sensors to active!  Chatterbox, vector!  Where are they?!"
Arbiter
 GM, 425 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Wed 15 Sep 2010
at 13:13
Re: 3: Taking Stock
The blaster fire pings uselessly off the patrol ship's shields as it turns around and comes straight back for another pass.

Roice: There's no response from Chatterbox.

OOC: Ship to ship combat begins now.

Somehow, you guys won initiative.  Don't ask me how... O_o

Initiative order
Roice
Haskel
Strickland
Selous
Skipray Pilot

Timothy Strickland
 player, 131 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Wed 15 Sep 2010
at 14:48
Re: 3: Taking Stock
In reply to Arbiter (msg #856):

Headsets on guys!  Don't forget the speakers are down!

Sparks will constantly monitor and angle the shields properly, keeping 'double front' against the Skipray.

15:47, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 6 (12 excluding the wild die) using 4 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 3,{Wild}1,2,6. Starship Shields. Oh Frag!
Harry Selous
 player, 92 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Wed 15 Sep 2010
at 16:54
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Harry quickly throws on his headset, then returns to the controls, firing as soon as he has the ship in his sights.
Roice Delfinn
 player, 212 posts
Thu 16 Sep 2010
at 01:25
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Roice glances at the sensor readout to gauge the direction of the patrol ship, then rams the controls in the opposite direction.

"Shields full astern, route all auxiliary power to the engines."
Garret Haskel
 player, 292 posts
Tue 21 Sep 2010
at 22:39
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Garret targeted the blastboat and fired a steady stream of laser energy at it.


18:37, Today: Garret Haskel rolled 15 using 4 dice with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 4,4,{Wild}2,5. starship turret damage.
18:36, Today: Garret Haskel rolled 19 using 6 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of {Wild}2,4,5,3,3,1. starship gunnery.

Arbiter
 GM, 431 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Tue 21 Sep 2010
at 23:13
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Roice jams forward on the throttle, shooting the Last Resort forward under the nose of the oncoming Skipray.

Haskel takes advantage of the enemy showing its belly to blast away as it passes overhead.  Unfortunately, the shots once again fail to damage the ship (although they at least made it through the shields this time).

Strickland angles the shields to the front, just in time to expose the ship's backside as it scoots by underneath the Skipray.

Selous is dismayed to discover that the lasers are non-functional and don't fire.

The Skipray pilot is unprepared for Roice's maneuver and overshoots the target, his ion cannon fire blowing craters in the dirt (and incidentally taking out a few more ROUSes too dumb to have gotten out of the area).  The ship skews around to pursue, but loses precious time and distance as the YV-100 takes off in a straight line away from it.

The Last Resort is now headed back towards the mesa fields.  Trying to take the ship through them at full throttle is going to be tricky (piloting checks will be required).

OOC: Both ships are now moving at Cruising speed (1x Space movement).  If you want to accelerate next round, you can move to High Speed (2x speed).  Keep in mind that accelerating will make maneuvering more difficult.

New initiative
Strickland
Roice
Haskel
Skipray pilot
Selous

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:18, Tue 21 Sept 2010.

Timothy Strickland
 player, 132 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Tue 21 Sep 2010
at 23:54
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Sparks reacts to the situation, angling the shields 'Double Rear', as they speed away from the Skipray

00:51, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 9 using 4 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of {Wild}3,1,3,1. Starship Shields.
Roice Delfinn
 player, 213 posts
Wed 22 Sep 2010
at 00:37
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Roice twists the throttle forward and starts a slow angle up.

"Scanners high, Sparks, I don't want to fly right into one of their patrol paths on the way up!"
Harry Selous
 player, 95 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Fri 24 Sep 2010
at 21:05
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Selous smacks the weapons station hard to try and kick it back in to life, but with the hostile ship now behind them, all he can do is wait and watch for anything else to try and shoot at.
Arbiter
 GM, 434 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Fri 24 Sep 2010
at 21:31
Re: 3: Taking Stock
The ship shudders as the Skipray fires and hits, but Strickland's nick-of-time re-angling of the shields absorbs the damage.  Roice pulls the ship up in an arc, avoiding the looming mesas, but also allowing the pursuing Skipray to gain some ground on the fleeing YV-100.

The lasers may be out of commission, but Selous, in the co-pilot seat, can see the sensor readings.  The Last Resort appears to be in range of the Skipray's turbolasers (a fact you might have already guessed by the shots that just hit the ship), but still out of ion cannon range.  But not for much longer.

Over the headsets, the persistent hiss of jamming static starts to break up a bit and you can hear snippets of garbled speech transmitting from the Skipray.  It looks like Strickland's jamming might be slipping (roll to reestablish).

OOC:
New initiative
Roice
Skipray pilot
Haskel
Strickland
Selous

Timothy Strickland
 player, 133 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Fri 24 Sep 2010
at 22:06
Re: 3: Taking Stock
In reply to Arbiter (msg #865):

Sparks will re-angle the shields (double dorsal?) to maximise effectiveness during Delfinns turn, AND lockdown the jamming!

"CBox! Modulate and amplify the jamming frequencies on the skipray.  Fry em!"

23:00, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 8 (15 excluding the wild die) using 5 dice with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 6,1,{Wild}1,6,1. Comm's Jamming.
23:00, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 14 using 3 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 6,{Wild}5,2. Starship Shields.

Roice Delfinn
 player, 214 posts
Sat 25 Sep 2010
at 01:53
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"Everybody hang on," shouts Roice as he pushes the throttle to 100%.
Arbiter
 GM, 437 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Mon 27 Sep 2010
at 12:56
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Roice opens up the Last Resort's engines, the ship groaning and shuddering as the screaming whine of thrusters firing beyond their rated cruising speed fills the air.  The YV-100 shoots for vacuum like a rocket, riding an ion trail towards the boundaries of the atmosphere.

The pursuing Skipray struggles to keep up, it's pilot obviously unable to multi-task successfully enough to account for Roice's actions (one pilot on a ship usually run by four people).  The Last Resort pulls ahead of the pursuing ship, but not before the Skipray sends another volley of blaster fire at the freighter's tail.

This time the impact is stronger and warning lights blink on the control board.  The shields can't stand up to this kind of punishment.  One or two more hits like that and they'll fail.

Strickland's jamming succeeds in clamping back down on the Skipray pilot's attempts to transmit, returning his broadcast to static.

Q7 transmits from the engine room over the headsets, "Hey!  You tryin' to get us killed, Cap'n?" the little droid's synthesized voice shouts, "We're about to lose lateral stabilization and the shield generator almost blew up in my faceplate!  Maybe you could try not letting that guy shoot us anymore?"

OOC: Next round you'll be in space.  It will take another round at this speed to clear the planet's gravity well for a hyperspace jump.  Someone's going to have to calculate that jump or else Q7 will have to plug into the navicomputer to do it.

EDIT: It might help if I declare initiative, huh?

New Initiative
Selous
Roice
Skipray pilot
Haskel
Strickland

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:28, Mon 27 Sept 2010.

Timothy Strickland
 player, 135 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Wed 29 Sep 2010
at 08:52
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Q7, get your chrome dome up 'ere and spin up the hyperdrive!

As the ship exits the atmosphere, Sparks checks the sensors for the other patrol boats.
09:47, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 15 using 5 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of {Wild}2,2,1,5,4. Sensors (Search).

CBox, keep this jamming fixed on that skipray!  Full power or we're toast!

At the same time, Sparks nursed the shields through the next few moments..
09:46, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 9 using 3 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of {Wild}5,2,1. Starship Shields.
Agial'ili
 player, 188 posts
 Blue and a Tech Wiz
Wed 29 Sep 2010
at 14:17
Re: 3: Taking Stock
When she woke up, she wished she hadn't. Her leg hurt terrible and all the noise and shuddering of the ship did not help at all.

All she could do was bite her lip and hold on for dear life, hoping that they would not wreck the ship with her in it.
Roice Delfinn
 player, 215 posts
Thu 30 Sep 2010
at 01:01
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"Q7, belay that!  Jack in back there, run a calc for a microjump--anything safe and close!"

He heaves against the control surfaces, trying to hold the ship steady.
Harry Selous
 player, 96 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Thu 30 Sep 2010
at 04:49
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Harry was forced to sit and watch the sensors, looking for any other ships that might try to intercept theirs.

"We might want to make the first jump, change our signature, and jump again. Anything to throw people off the track if we're followed." He said through the headset. You could put the tactics of the hunt in to almost any situation.
Arbiter
 GM, 438 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Thu 30 Sep 2010
at 16:01
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Roice keeps the ship on a steady course as he pilots it out of the atmosphere.

"I'm on it," Q7 reports from the engine room, "Do you care where we end up or do you just want a quick jump out of the system in a random direction?  I'm easy either way."

The Skipray pilot fires again and warning alerts go crazy as the shields falter and sparks jump from the control panel.

"Nevermind!" Q7 sends from the engine room before Roice can reply.  "Random micro-jump computed and ready for you to hit the button, Cap'n.  I've got a..." the droid's synthesized voice hesitates, "problem back here.  Gonna have to go off comms to fix it.  Everything's fine, just, err, don't turn left.  Seriously, no left turns!" There's a click and the astromech cuts his comm line.

Given Q7's warning, it's only natural that Selous, watching the sensor display, notices two more patrol ships have noticed the activity and are coming in to investigate...  From the right...

"I'm keeping the comm jamming on our pursuer.  But I don't think I'll be able to block any other transmissions," Chatterbox replies.  Strickland manages to keep the shields from failing outright after their brief flutter, but it's a near thing and they're just about strained past the breaking point.

OOC: You'll be free to jump at the end of this round.

Roice, steering just went all wonky, so I need a pilot check to keep the ship on course.

New Initiative
Roice
Haskel and Aggie (if either of you feel the urge to do something)
Selous
Strickland
Skipray pilot

Garret Haskel
 player, 294 posts
Thu 30 Sep 2010
at 17:23
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Garret aims his turret at the approaching patrol ships but refrains from firing in the hopes of delaying hostilities as long as possible. He keeps the lead ship centered in the cross-hairs and will fire on it if it opens fire on them.

OOC:
Ready action: fire turret on patrol ship.
13:21, Today: Garret Haskel rolled 13 using 4 dice with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 1,{Wild}2,6,4. starship turret damage.
13:21, Today: Garret Haskel rolled 9 (15 excluding the wild die) using 6 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 2,{Wild}1,6,1,1,4. starship gunnery.

Harry Selous
 player, 97 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Thu 30 Sep 2010
at 20:31
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"Two ships coming in from the right!" Harry calls as he sits on his hands, having the disabled nose cannon as his station, "Maybe go right for them. If we're coming at them, maybe it'll confuse them, and at least it gives Haskel a shot!"
Roice Delfinn
 player, 216 posts
Sat 2 Oct 2010
at 23:09
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"Turret, standby to track!  Sparks, shields at your discretion!  Say when, C7."

He gives the horizontal axis trim a slight nudge and rolls the ship to the right, maintaining course but pointing the top of the ship at the newcomers.

(Roice Delfinn rolled 10 using 3 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of {Wild}3,3,3. Starship Piloting.)