3: Taking Stock.   Posted by Arbiter.Group: 0
Roice Delfinn
 player, 226 posts
Thu 2 Dec 2010
at 03:55
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"Don't sweat it, mates.  In and out, in and out."

He idles down the sublights and sets auto-follow for the last ship in the queue.

"Sparks, passive scans of all these vessels in line.  Log their public transponder info while you're at it...  May come in handy in a bluff."
Garret Haskel
 player, 312 posts
Thu 2 Dec 2010
at 16:32
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Garret left his spot by the turret ladder and walked into the bridge. The lasers weren't powerful enough to handle something that big anyway.

"Take a look at the Star Destroyer in the middle; it's an Interdictor class, you can see the gravity well projectors on it. This is far beyond the standard force for a checkpoint."


OOC:Comic drawing of the Interdirctor Class from wookieepedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Dominator.jpg

Timothy Strickland
 player, 146 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Thu 2 Dec 2010
at 18:25
Re: 3: Taking Stock
In reply to Garret Haskel (msg #953):

Yeah, there's NO WAY that lot are looking for us.  Must be fleet exercises or something?
Sparks continues tpying and pushing buttons at the Comms station.
Garret Haskel
 player, 313 posts
Thu 2 Dec 2010
at 18:37
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"They wouldn't deploy that much fire power for a single freighter ship. Whatever the reason is for those ships being here, it's much bigger than just us."
Arbiter
 GM, 464 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Thu 2 Dec 2010
at 18:46
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Another broadcast from the Imperials: "All ships are to remain in their current position.  Any attempt to leave the line will result in immediate reprisal."

At that moment, a group of TIE fighters appears from underneath one of the Star Destroyers and heads towards the line.

"All ships are to remain in position," the Imperial comm officer repeats.  "Any attempt to flee, raise shields, or arm weaponry will result in your destruction."

The sense of nervous energy is palpable and the ships slowly move through the blockade while the fighters swoop up and down the line, buzzing nerve-wrackingly close to each ship.  There's quite a bit of chatter on open frequencies from the other ships.  Some crews are afraid the Imps are going to kill them for no good reason.  Some worry that their cargo will be seized for the "greater good".  One captain, an obvious loyalist, bellows for the others to shut up and do as the military commands, berating the "alien and smuggler scum" for doubting the intentions of the brave men of the Imperial Navy.
Harry Selous
 player, 109 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Thu 2 Dec 2010
at 18:50
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Harry took a seat and grinned. If the Imperials wanted to kill everyone for no good reason, there wasn't much the tiny fleet of merchant and transport vessels could do against the arrayed Imperial star destroyers, even if they managed to work as a team to put up a fight.

There was also no reason for the imperials to do something like that, as far as Harry knew. The Imperial navy might be made up of scum, washouts, idiots, jack asses on a power trip, but they weren't illogical, and they usually followed orders. Somewhere in the mass of terrible deeds done by the Empire, there was reason and plan.

Harry crossed his arms and waited.
Timothy Strickland
 player, 147 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Thu 2 Dec 2010
at 19:29
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Right CBox, I hope you are recording this!  The Captain wants passive sacans of ALL the merchant ships - I'll do that.  You can scan ALL their transponder frequencies.  Collate and Log this data with the results of the passive scans.  I want all this chatter recorded too.  Someone might say something 'significant' or useful to us in the future.  Crack on with that now, will yer!


Sparks selects a quieter, but standard channel, to reply to the Imperials, when delivering his message.
Copy Imperial Star Destroyer.  Sun Tracker holding position and standing by.  Requesting medical attention for crew members while we wait.  We were attacked by pirates at our weypoint and have wounded crew.  Sun Tracker holding position and standing by for a response.

Worth a try, thinks Sparks.  It might help Agail'ili and get us bumped out the queue too!
Agial'ili
 player, 212 posts
 Blue and a Tech Wiz
Thu 2 Dec 2010
at 19:46
Re: 3: Taking Stock
She really approved the call for medical attention and when the broadcast was transmitted she expressed her gratitude with a smile to Timothy:

"Thanks. If we survive this, we should invest in proper medical supplies. I am sure that I won't be the last who will get wounded."
Roice Delfinn
 player, 227 posts
Fri 3 Dec 2010
at 01:25
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Roice nods slightly at Sparks' pirate bluff, and casually starts putting together a cover story to front it.  He opens the navicomputer interface and scrolls through a handful of waypoints, looking for an appropriate planet to use as the previous port.
Arbiter
 GM, 465 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Fri 3 Dec 2010
at 02:32
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"Acknowledged, Sun Tracker," replies the Star Destroyer.  "Medical supplies are at a premium.  The inspection crew will determine if you merit aid.  Please stand by and--WHAT THE HELL!?!"

The comm officer's exclamation is immediately preceded by the sudden appearance of three Corellian Corvettes, which swoop in--still decelerating from lightspeed--and open fire on the Interdictor.

The three Imperial warships almost immediately return fire, but it's clear they were caught off guard by the ambush.  The corvettes score several hits against the Interdictor before they begin to succumb to the much heavier firepower lobbed by the Imperials.

Over the sounds of explosions and shouting in the background, the Imperial comm officer shouts, "All ships are ordered to maintain position.  You are allowed to raise shields for self-defense, but any ship deviating from the line will be fired upon.  Repeat--" the signal is cut again as one of the Interdictor's power trees goes up in a painfully bright explosion.

Despite warnings, several ships try to make a run for it.  They are immediately pounced upon by the TIE fighters, two freighters crippled quickly and the third limping back in line, smoke and sparks trailing from a blasted hull.

The capital ship battle continues, but not for long.  The previous voice of the loyalist apparently belonged to the captain of the Nebulon B, because it adds its own weapons fire to the mix, against the corvettes.  One of the trio explodes outright, sending dangerous debris flying in all directions.

(OOC: someone get those shields up or you're taking a hit)

The second turns and makes a break for it, trying to retreat under withering fire from four capital ships and hobbled by the lingering interdiction field.

The third ship, blasted and so damaged it's amazing it can still move under its own power, turns towards the Star Destroyers.  In an act of suicidal madness, it pours on speed and rams the Interdictor, the power of its impact so great it destroys the corvette and sends the Imperial cruiser careening off out of formation.

Immediately sensors register that the interdiction field is down, and the lone corvette is able to escape to hyperspace.  Another freighter gets the bright idea that now would be a good time to run.  A single, well-placed turbolaser blast from the Nebulon B converts the little ship into an exploding ball of flame and debris.
Roice Delfinn
 player, 228 posts
Fri 3 Dec 2010
at 03:02
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"Deflectors!"

Roice nudges the Tracker's attitude adjuster to turn the ship to a side profile, minimizing the surface area that the incoming debris might impact.

He thinks fast, eyes flicking to the cockpit viewport to the scanner readout, then finally jabs the outgoing comm transmitter and barks, "Imperial Checkpoint, Imperial Checkpoint, come in!"

He lets off the transmitter and shouts, "Battlestations!"

He glances at Sparks.  "Follow my lead!"

He opens the channel again, and says, "Imperial Checkpoint, Sun Tracker requesting permission to pursue!"  He sets a roving waypoint on the fleeing Corvette.
Agial'ili
 player, 213 posts
 Blue and a Tech Wiz
Fri 3 Dec 2010
at 12:25
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"Oh my"

With horror Agial'ili watches the fighting. The bold attack, so brave and yet so silly. Why do they think that they have a surviving chance against the Imperial behemoths?

Then the Captain giving orders and even proposing that they join up to fight.
Not wasting anymore time, knowing that she is not even close to the proper consoles, she straps herself into a chair, before the ship does something silly again like those suicidal moves the captain seems so fond of.

"Captain, we are in no condition to fight!"
, She says urgently.
Harry Selous
 player, 110 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Fri 3 Dec 2010
at 13:05
Re: 3: Taking Stock
If they got permission to pursue, then they could leave the imperial checkpoint without getting checked, not to mention maybe gain a little love from the imperials, and perhaps set something up with the owners of the corvettes. It was a good plan, if they got permission.

If not, then they just looked like loyalist imperials trying to help out their soldiers. Either way would be helpful in this situation.

He shushed the Twi'lek.
Timothy Strickland
 player, 148 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Fri 3 Dec 2010
at 14:49
Re: 3: Taking Stock
I hope the shields have recovered, not been able to check 'em out properly...

Sparks angles the shields as best he can.
14:38, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 18 using 4 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 5,5,{Wild}3,4. Shields.

Sparks glares at Delfinn in anger "I said stay cool dammit!  Don't pull no 'Crazy Ivan now!' If you move we'll be shot out the sky or I'll shoot you myself."

Sparks continues roaring, CBox! Are you gettin all this data!  I want info on those Corvettes!
Garret Haskel
 player, 314 posts
Fri 3 Dec 2010
at 18:42
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Garret turned and ran back to the turret access. He climbed into the seat and strapped in but didn't even touch the controls and settled in to wait. He put on his headset.

"Patch me into the com chatter. I want to know what Imperial Command is saying."
Roice Delfinn
 player, 229 posts
Sat 4 Dec 2010
at 04:33
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"We're not going to fight," he says to Agial'ili and Strickland, "we're going to act."

He routes the comm reception to all headsets.

"Haskel, be ready to shoot, be ready to miss.  Make it look good!"

He opens the channel again.  "Imperial Checkpoint, those TIEs are no match for that 'Vette's turbolasers.  We've got deflectors, we've got armor, we've got the sublights to catch it before it goes hyper, now clear us to pursue!"

He idles up the engines.
Arbiter
 GM, 466 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Sat 4 Dec 2010
at 21:55
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Strickland gets the shields up in time, deflecting the incoming debris.

"Negative, you will not move from your position." replies a different voice.  It's lack of emotion and flat pitch suggest it's probably a droid.  "Any ships deviating from assigned positions will be destroyed."

In the distance, the badly damaged corvette accelerates to lightspeed and vanishes into hyperspace.

One of the Star Destroyers moves off to attend the still-tumbling Interdictor, but the other one remains looming over the remaining freighters.
Chatterbox
 NPC, 20 posts
 The "brains"
 of the outfit...
Sat 4 Dec 2010
at 22:04
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"Well, he's certainly Mr. Personality..." Chatterbox says, referring to the new voice on the comm.

"I'm picking up some serious back and forth chatter between the three ships.  It seems like that Interdictor is in more trouble than they're letting on."

He patches through the inter-ship frequency and you can all hear the coded distress call from the Interdictor, as well as open broadcasts of crewmen calling for help and calls of reassurance and orders to put a lid on the chatter from the attending Star Destroyer.

"While I'm hardly an expert on Imperial rescue operations," Chatterbox comments, "I don't think either of those Star Destroyers have enough shuttles to offload crew from the Interdictor.  Also, I would ask the Imps if they didn't mind if we backed off a bit.  Sensors are indicating some serious fluctuations in the cruiser's reactor.  I don't know if it's going to explode, but even if it just ruptures, I doubt all that leaking radiation will be healthy for anyone in the vicinity."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:29, Mon 06 Dec 2010.

Timothy Strickland
 player, 149 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Sat 4 Dec 2010
at 22:31
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"Well done CBox! Copy that distress signal to my console at once."
Sparks spins up his decypher sub-routine to run syphers on the distress signal,
22:18, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 19 using 5 dice with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 6,6,1,1,{Wild}5. Comm's.

While, with the other hand Sparks focuses sensors on the Interdictor,
22:17, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 15 using 6 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 4,{Wild}4,2,1,1,2. Sensors.

And responding to the Imperials on his quieter channel,
"Sun Tracker to Star Destroyer.  We are detecting power fluctuating from the Interdictors reactor.  Request permission to move to a safe distance immediately.  Sun Tracker standing by..."
Arbiter
 GM, 467 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Tue 7 Dec 2010
at 16:51
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"Negative, you will not move from your position." replies the droid in its emotionless monotone.  "Any ships deviating from assigned positions will be destroyed."

Sensor readings are a bit more informative.  The Interdictor is in serious trouble.  Power is out across half the ship, fluctuating in several others, and the area where the reactor is housed is showing increased heat and radiation build-up.

Several shuttles leave the two Star Destroyers, headed for the cruiser.  Another ship tries to make a break for it, only to be cowed back into place by several shots from one of the Imperial ships.

The Nebulon B, however, begins moving off, unhindered.
Harry Selous
 player, 111 posts
 Killer of beasts
 sentients not excluded
Tue 7 Dec 2010
at 18:19
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Harry looked at all the information that was flooding in. No permission to move, reactors going critical, some ships being shot and others moving off on their own. Maybe the Nebulon B had been a plant. He certainly was loyal to the imperials, and moving around without being shot. He didn't have anything productive to do or say, so he just waited. Whatever the captain decided, that was what they would do.
Timothy Strickland
 player, 150 posts
 Ex-Imperial AWOL Tech.
 Washed-up drunkard bum!
Tue 7 Dec 2010
at 18:26
Re: 3: Taking Stock
Sparks relays the sensor information to Delfinn,
Arbiter:
The Interdictor is in serious trouble.  Power is out across half the ship, fluctuating in several others, and the area where the reactor is housed is showing increased heat and radiation build-up.


She's gonna blow anytime now.  We have to wait till the very last minute before we move.  I'll keep my eyes on the sensors.

Sparks will continuously monitor sensors, observing the Interdictors situation, waiting for the critical moment, [3 actions this round - Sensors Focus x 3] giving Delfinn every chance of evading...

18:23, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 23 using 5 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 5,4,5,6,{Wild}2. Sensors (Focus).
18:23, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 15 using 5 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of {Wild}2,3,2,6,1. Sensors (Focus).
18:23, Today: Timothy Strickland rolled 9 (15 excluding the wild die) using 5 dice and +1 pips with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 6,3,3,{Wild}1,2. Sensors (Focus).

Agial'ili
 player, 214 posts
 Blue and a Tech Wiz
Tue 7 Dec 2010
at 22:22
Re: 3: Taking Stock
OOC: 23:21, Today: Agial'ili rolled 15 (21 excluding the wild die) using 6 dice with the WEG Classic system with rolls of 2,{Wild}1,5,5,4,4. starship repair.

Roice Delfinn
 player, 230 posts
Thu 9 Dec 2010
at 04:00
Re: 3: Taking Stock


Roice watches the Interdictor and shakes his head slightly.

After a short pause, he opens the comm channel and says, "Imperial Checkpoint.  We have a mostly empty 100-plus metric ton cargo bay available for evacuating crew.  Sun Tracker standing by."
Arbiter
 GM, 468 posts
 The whispering winds
 of Fate...
Thu 9 Dec 2010
at 15:53
Re: 3: Taking Stock
"Negative, you will not move from your position." begins the droid again, only to be cut off by a human voice.  "Ignore that, Sun Tracker," he says.  "If you've got space and can get in there quickly, there are 40 men trapped in the docking bay that need immediate evac.  You are cleared for rescue operations."

A broadcast goes out on the open channel, "All ships are ordered to stay, but are clear to move to 10 km."  More TIE fighters fly out of the two Star Destroyers.  The comm officer says simply, "Don't think of running."

The Nebulon B is now well past the blockade, still moving off.