Lupus Veritas (main)   Posted by Dragondog.Group: 0
Olven Wolf
 player, 130 posts
Thu 10 Jun 2010
at 11:48
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Yes, thank you," Olven says, not impolitely.  Once they're in the corridor, however, he quietly says, "Well, she wasn't much help.  Let's see what the elemental specialist says."
Dragondog
 GM, 295 posts
Thu 10 Jun 2010
at 17:48
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
The priest that had guided the heroes there was waiting outside and quickly led them on down various corridors and stairs, passing many doors, until they came to the one he wanted.

He knocked, stepped inside for a few moments, and then opened the door to the heroes, introducing them to Tolem Ironmill, another dwarven cleric.

His office looked very much like the one they had just left, though his desk was lower, the books were different, and a number of plants filled a not insignificant portion of the room.
Owain uth Urien
 player, 71 posts
Sun 13 Jun 2010
at 03:32
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
Owain introduces everyone and cuts straight to the chase. "I'm looking for answers in regards to elemental beings and their destruction. I hope the information you can give me is more useful than I have been receiving thusfar from this temple."
Dragondog
 GM, 296 posts
Sun 13 Jun 2010
at 22:46
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"What kind of elemental beings," Tolem asked.
Owain uth Urien
 player, 72 posts
Tue 15 Jun 2010
at 04:20
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"The only beings specifically mentioned to me were of the water variety. However, I do not ignore the possibility that others might be found where we are going. Do such creatures have any vulnerabilites that can be countered by blade?"
Dragondog
 GM, 297 posts
Wed 16 Jun 2010
at 16:35
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
”Unfortunately only fire elementals have a specific weakness, though that is  against the cold,” the cleric said. “The others have no such vulnerability. And even worse, poison and paralyzing effects do nothing against them. And fire elementals are immune to fire damage too.”

“None of them eat, sleep, or breathe, so that doesn’t help you either. But at least none of them have any specific immunities against steel either. So your sword should be able to carve them to pieces just as easily as any human with similar durability.”

"Well almost. They don't have any vitals or other weak spots either."

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:37, Wed 16 June 2010.

Owain uth Urien
 player, 73 posts
Wed 16 Jun 2010
at 17:47
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
Owain nods thoughtfully, then asks another question. "Specifically water elementals were mentioned. I cannot think of how they may be a danger, short of drowning us which seems unlikely. Can you give me a clue as to what danger they can pose?".
Dragondog
 GM, 298 posts
Wed 16 Jun 2010
at 18:51
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
“They extinguish all nonmagical fires automatically and may extinguish magical fires too,” the dwarf said. “In water they can transform to a whirlpool and it may suck you in.”

“I almost forgot. They are more powerful in water than they are than anywhere else. So try to fight them away from water.”
Olven Wolf
 player, 131 posts
Thu 17 Jun 2010
at 03:39
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"But steel works on them?" Olven asks, his brow furrowed.  Cutting water with a blade doesn't seem like it would be effective, but the mercenary takes heart by this news.  Frankly, Olven isn't looking forward to fighting a creature that can drown a bloke.  "What does it look like when it's dead?"
Dragondog
 GM, 299 posts
Thu 17 Jun 2010
at 16:20
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"It does," the cleric said. "I think it has something to do with the fact that it is sentient elemental water rather than normal water. And as that sentience leaves it at death, it falls apart and only elemental water remains."

"I have a vial over here," The dwarf opened a glass door in one of the bookshelves and among the knick knacks he picked up a vial of water, though more sparkly than water had any right to be.

“This is what elemental water looks like. This is what a dead water elemental looks like. Though there’s usually more of them. And if you happen to run into any elemental water on your trip, I might be willing to get it off your hands.”
Dragondog
 GM, 300 posts
Tue 22 Jun 2010
at 15:25
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Do we have all our answers," Kar asked.
Olven Wolf
 player, 132 posts
Wed 23 Jun 2010
at 17:24
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
Olven looks politely at the vial the priest holds forward, and files away the information that she could use dead elementals for the future.

In response to Kar, Olven says, "I suppose so," and looks at Owain.  "I guess there's nothing else but to get ready for our trip, eh?"
Owain uth Urien
 player, 74 posts
Thu 24 Jun 2010
at 20:54
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
Owain nods reluctantly. "Yes, I suppose we have all the answers we are likely to get. That indeed leaves us to the travel arrangements. Shall we share a meal and discuss what exactly we might need?"

OOC: I think it is all mostly little odds and ends that we shouldnt need to roleplay the acquiring of in order to save time, with exception to maybe the transportation. I think we need some mounts and at least one wagon. What do you guys think?
Olven Wolf
 player, 133 posts
Fri 25 Jun 2010
at 03:23
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Sounds good to me," Olven Wolf says, scratching his ear.  "Thank you for your help, ma'am," he says politely to the priest.  "Let's go, guys," he says to the rest of the group, and turns to leave.
Dragondog
 GM, 315 posts
Fri 2 Jul 2010
at 05:48
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
The heroes left the temple and having spoken about horses and a wagon, it was almost as if by destiny that one of the first things they saw was a man driving a wagon hitched to two horses and leading an additional four riding horses behind.
D'aden Tor VIII
 player, 11 posts
 Farmborn, self-taught,
 goalless drifter, so far.
Fri 2 Jul 2010
at 06:12
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
Perhaps he had been more faithful than he realized. Not only was the temple a magnificent sight, but as it came into view so did the man he was seeking. It seemed the gods were making this easy for him, which made him nervous. His mother was fond of reminding him that 'just as it's always darkest afore the dawn, it's usually brightest afore the dusk'. Though why anyone would be fond of that, he didn't understand. Still, his objective was in sight and therefore it appeared brightest and therefore dusk was sure to come.
Attempting to guid the wagon in the direction of the man he sought, D'aden called out, "Sir Owain? Have I found you, good knight?"
Dragondog
 GM, 317 posts
Tue 6 Jul 2010
at 20:06
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Who's asking," Kar asked.
D'aden Tor VIII
 player, 12 posts
 Farmborn, self-taught,
 goalless drifter, so far.
Wed 7 Jul 2010
at 00:24
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
After a look of puzzlement crosses his features, the man with the horses replies, "I am D'aden, but you won't know me. I bear a message from the merchant Handar."
Rather than attempt to guide the wagon closer to the group, D'aden stops its progress and starts to get out. Only after he has stood does he think better of it and, glancing somewhat nervously at the team hitched to the wagon, sit down to await the knight's presence.
Olven Wolf
 player, 138 posts
Wed 7 Jul 2010
at 18:17
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Handar?  That rascal?" The man on the cart has Olven Wolf's full attention now, and he steps forward to meet the man.  "The merchant is a thief.  He absconded with something the king gave us, a letter saying we act in His name.  Or do you bring new information?" The mercenary crosses his arms, awaiting a response.
D'aden Tor VIII
 player, 13 posts
 Farmborn, self-taught,
 goalless drifter, so far.
Thu 8 Jul 2010
at 00:40
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Scoundrel? Handar has never absconded with anything of value that I was aware of. Of course, I've never really had anything of value."
"He asked that I pick up and deliver this wagon, and these horses, and the gear in it to Sir Owain uth Urien, along with a personal message that I have in my pack. He seemed to think it was important, so I hurried. I could look for Handar, if you like. But I think he's better at covering his tracks than I would be at locating them."

Owain uth Urien
 player, 76 posts
Fri 9 Jul 2010
at 22:12
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
Owain steps forward and places a calming hand on Olven's shoulder. "Lets not jump to conclusions about Handar. Our suspicions are our own, but really we know very little about what happened with our merchant."

The knight extends a friendly hand to the new man. "I am Sir Owain. Any news concerning Handar and the fate of our lost document would ease our minds greatly."
D'aden Tor VIII
 player, 14 posts
 Farmborn, self-taught,
 goalless drifter, so far.
Fri 9 Jul 2010
at 23:39
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
D'aden removes a scroll case from his pack and presents it to Sir Owain. "To be quite honest, I'm anxious to know exactly what message he did send. Despite my curiosity, I haven't examined the document closely."
"He said something about needing to be alone with his thoughts, and sent me to gather these animals and equipment for you. To be honest, it was a welcome break. I find myself able to do little more than carry stone to help in rebuilding the city; I found the task somewhat lacking in excitement."

Olven Wolf
 player, 139 posts
Sat 10 Jul 2010
at 01:29
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
Olven grunts.  "If you say so, Sir Owain," he says.  Turning to D'aden, he says, "So are you coming with us to the Lyceum?" He eyes D'aden's getup.  "Well, let's get a move on, eh?" His pack over his shoulder, Olven looks to the knight for confirmation.
D'aden Tor VIII
 player, 15 posts
 Farmborn, self-taught,
 goalless drifter, so far.
Sat 10 Jul 2010
at 03:58
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
As he opens the scroll case, and removes the documents to place them in hand to Sir Owain, D'aden says, "The Lyceum? I'm not as familiar with the city as I should be; I can't seem to place that location. It may be that's what Handar had in mind. I told him I was becoming morose, and I find travelling to places I've not been extremely cheering."
"In any event, I've promised the horse trader to see that he has due compensation for his gear; and, frankly, I am aching to know what message he sent the good knight, unless it's none of my business."

This message was last edited by the player at 14:12, Sat 10 July 2010.

Owain uth Urien
 player, 77 posts
Sat 10 Jul 2010
at 17:23
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
Owain smiles at D'aden as he accepts the document. "If it is excitement and travel you seek, then you have found yourself in the right company. I hope you still feel as fortunate to have found us after our arrival."

The knight's words trail off slowly as he unrolls the document and loses himself quietly in the reading.