Lupus Veritas (main)   Posted by Dragondog.Group: 0
Dragondog
 GM, 346 posts
Tue 10 Aug 2010
at 14:28
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
The heroes headed south and were ferried over the Vingaard, as no bridge crossed the river. A total of eight individuals. Five of them called by the king, one replacing another, and two accompanying others.

And though Sir Owain had the same social standing as Ward Master Erethriel, he rode unacompanied by servant or squire.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:42, Tue 10 Aug 2010.

Dragondog
 GM, 347 posts
Mon 16 Aug 2010
at 12:42
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
Having crossed the river, the heroes started moving east towards the Lyceum.
D'aden Tor VIII
 player, 26 posts
 Farmborn, self-taught,
 goalless drifter, so far.
Tue 17 Aug 2010
at 05:31
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
D'aden looks, somewhat longingly, at the river, then attempts to get the ferry's handlers to tell him what kind of fish they catch from it. Even after they cross, he sends wistful glances back at the water until it is out of sight.
Olven Wolf
 player, 157 posts
Tue 17 Aug 2010
at 15:05
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
Olven notices the other man's wistfulness.  Laughing, he says, "Cheer up, D'aden.  Perhaps you'll have a better opportunity for fishing when we stop this evening."

As they travel, Olven keeps his crossbow at the ready, just in case.  He constantly surveys the road, expecting bandits or worse to waylay the expedition.
Dragondog
 GM, 348 posts
Sat 21 Aug 2010
at 07:15
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
The heroes traveled the rest of the day without incident. The two moons of Krynn had risen in the night sky. The white Solinari that was halfway between first quarter and full and the red Lunitari that was on its first night as a full moon.

As they were about to make camp, they noticed, some distance to the south, an approaching giant, about 20' tall, clearly coming their way.

[Moonlight gives -5 vision modifier]
D'aden Tor VIII
 player, 27 posts
 Farmborn, self-taught,
 goalless drifter, so far.
Sat 21 Aug 2010
at 22:19
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Have any of you ever met a giant, before? I would imagine they could tell fascinating stories. At the least, they would have a different perspective."
In as close to a surreptitious fashion as possible, D'aden insures that both his bow, and his mandolin, are near to hand.
Dragondog
 GM, 349 posts
Sat 28 Aug 2010
at 16:17
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"I have not," Tarhall said. And neither Kar or Sarah had either.
Jarlianthas Erethriel
 player, 11 posts
Sat 28 Aug 2010
at 17:59
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Nor have I, he is clearly a traveller.  Perhaps we should go introduce ourselves."
D'aden Tor VIII
 player, 28 posts
 Farmborn, self-taught,
 goalless drifter, so far.
Sat 28 Aug 2010
at 23:51
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
D'aden continues the business of making camp. "Perhaps it would be more prudent to light a fire, I'm not sure the gods would welcome us home if we met death under the heels of a giant that failed to notice us."
Olven Wolf
 player, 158 posts
Mon 30 Aug 2010
at 15:57
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Somehow, I doubt he's going to be the friendly type," Olven Wolf says, as he takes out his axe and straps on his shield.  "Building a fire sounds like an excellent idea, if we have time."

OOC:  Ready axe and shield.
Dragondog
 GM, 350 posts
Wed 1 Sep 2010
at 18:19
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
The giant continued to come closer, traveling faster than the heroes had done during the day. He was armed with a morning star, sized to fit a creature about twice his own size, but it was still hanging from his belt.

As the heroes discussed this, Olven readied his axe and shield. Sarah and Kar stepped a little to the side and she readied a short staff. And Tarhall seemed to be ready to cast a spell at any moment.

As the heroes moved, the giant noticed them.
Jarlianthas Erethriel
 player, 12 posts
Wed 1 Sep 2010
at 18:33
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Greetings, traveller!"  Jarlianthas yells, as the giant notices the party.  "You must have come on a long journey, would you care to share our fire?"

As a precautionary measure he also prepares a spell.
Dragondog
 GM, 351 posts
Wed 1 Sep 2010
at 18:54
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Wouldn't mind if I do," the giant replied. His voice carrying further that Jarl's yell had. As he continued to come closer, the ground started to shake with each of his steps. But as he noticed it, his steps gentled and the shaking stopped.

He was about four times taller than the heroes and the rest of him of the same proportions. He was dressed much like the average farmer, though with more patches.

As he sat down as close as he dared to the fire, without sitting on the heroes or taking up too much space close to the fire for their needs, he wiped some snot from his nose with the edge of his sleeve.

[OOC: Lets assume that you've got a fire going then. Perhaps D'aden started it.]
Jarlianthas Erethriel
 player, 13 posts
Wed 1 Sep 2010
at 19:13
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Where are you going, friend?  If you don't mind my asking, why do you travel this way?"
Dragondog
 GM, 352 posts
Wed 1 Sep 2010
at 20:19
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"I'm here to catch fish," the giant said pointing towards the water. "What about yourselves?"
D'aden Tor VIII
 player, 29 posts
 Farmborn, self-taught,
 goalless drifter, so far.
Thu 2 Sep 2010
at 00:48
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
His face downcast, D'aden speaks to the large creature, "We're travelling, parallel to the river, because I'm fond of catching fish."
"But if the fish are large enough to give you sport, I fear my poor line will be inadequate to the task."

Jarlianthas Erethriel
 player, 14 posts
Thu 2 Sep 2010
at 02:36
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Indeed, your kind must need many fish to fill your bellies."
Dragondog
 GM, 353 posts
Thu 2 Sep 2010
at 07:53
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"As you say, the fish I'm looking for is larger than the fish most humans look for." the giant said and with his hands he showed that the fish he was looking for was about three feet long.

It has been a bad year for us. Several bad years really. Since the war began. Our wealth is spent. Our stockpiles gone. And Im not sure we will have enough for all of us to survive the winter. The giant sighed deeply.
Olven Wolf
 player, 159 posts
Sat 4 Sep 2010
at 02:19
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
Olven Wolf relaxes a bit when the giant seems friendly.  Taking a seat and laying his axe nearby, he sympathetically nods his head.  "The war has been difficult for all of us," he says.  "I'm sorry to hear of your people's suffering, too.  We're seeking out resources for Kalaman to aid in its rebuilding efforts.  Perhaps we could do something to help your folk, as well."
Jarlianthas Erethriel
 player, 15 posts
Mon 6 Sep 2010
at 23:22
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Surely our peoples can all benefit from assisting one another."
Dragondog
 GM, 354 posts
Tue 7 Sep 2010
at 06:33
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Is there much work in Kalaman then," the giant asked.
Dragondog
 GM, 355 posts
Tue 7 Sep 2010
at 06:34
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Is there much work in Kalaman then," the giant asked.

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:57, Tue 07 Sept 2010.

Jarlianthas Erethriel
 player, 16 posts
Tue 7 Sep 2010
at 06:58
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"Certainly, there is much to be done and strong hands like yours would be most welcome.  Tell the gatekeepers that you met Ward Master Erethriel on the road and are seeking work.  If you have any trouble you may have my letter of introduction.  I can't guarantee appropriate size accomadations; however, since no giants currently live in Kalaman."

Jarlianthas take a piece of parchment and quill out of his travel bag and writes a letter to whom it may concern introducing the giant as an appointed laborer in the Vingaard Ward and to be paid the standard rate.
Dragondog
 GM, 356 posts
Tue 7 Sep 2010
at 13:48
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
"That is wonderful," the giant said and a small tear trailed down his cheek as he put the letter of introduction into one of his pockets. "I'll check this out as soon as I've brought the fish back to my family."
Olven Wolf
 player, 160 posts
Sun 12 Sep 2010
at 11:23
Re: Lupus Veritas (main)
Olven Wolf allows himself a small smile.  And here he thought this encounter would devolve into a needless bloodbath.

"Sounds like a win-win situation all around,"
he says.  He continues to watch the giant, however.  Something seems a little strange here.