The Lyceum (main)   Posted by Dragondog.Group: 0
Dragondog
 GM, 411 posts
Mon 13 Dec 2010
at 20:04
The Lyceum (main)
As the heroes entered the building, Tarhall stopped on the landing and brushed away the dust and the leaves, revealing the symbol of three interlocking rings. The leftmost white, the rightmost black, and the one in the middle red.

"If we had any doubts before," Tarhall said. "This has settled it. This was once a place of High Sorcery. And anything that was ours remains ours. I cannot allow anything that belongs to the Order be given to the King without their permission."

"But as the highest ranking member of the Order here, I'm sure I can give that permission for many things."

While the others entered the Lyceum, Jarl's guard waited outside with the wagon and the horses.

                ---D---
                |. . .|
                | . . |
                |. . .|
                | . . |
                |. . .|
                | . . |
                |. . .|
                | . . |
                |. . .|
9               | . . |
8         -------. . .-------
7         . . . . . . . . . .
6          . . . . . . . . .
5         . . . . . . . . . .
4         -------. . .-------
3               | . . |
2               |. . .|
1               | . . |
0               |. . .|
Z               | . . |
Y               |. . .|
X          ------ . . -------
W          . . . . . . . . .
V           . . . . . . . . .
U          . . . . . . . . .
T          ------ . . -------
S               |. . .|
R               | . . |
Q               |. . .|
P               | . . |
O               |. . .|
N               | . . |
M               |. . .|
L    /---\      | . . |      /---\
K  |-. # .-------. . .-------. # .-|
J  |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
I  D . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . D
H  |. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
G  |-. # .-------. . .-------. # .-|
F    \---/      | . . |      \---/
E               |. . .|
D               | . . |
C               |. . .|
B               | . . |
A               |-DDD-|

  ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456

T = D'aden
J = Ward Master Jarlianthas
W = Olven
K = Kar
O = Sir Owain
V = Tarhall
S = Sarah Caladen

. = The center of a hex. If the center of a hex resides in a wall, it is not indicated on the map, but the hex is still there.
D = Door
DDD = Double Door
# = Statue

The entry hall was made of light marble and went on for about 100 feet before the corridor ended in a door. Corridors broke off to both left and right with regular intervals and the rune covered vaulted ceiling was about 25 feet up, the details of the runes hidden in shadow.

In the first intersection, the outline of a black circle could be seen inlaid in the floor. Both corridors went on for a few yards before they, too, ended in doors. Both of these doors were flanked by statues.

[OOC: Each dot (.) is the center of a hex. Standard GURPS movement is in effect. To give an example. The hex represented by the red dot is next to all the hexes represented by orange dots. Thus the vertices are aligned vertically.]

[OOC: Please let me know where your characters are on the map and what you're doing.]

[OOC: Please indicate on your character sheets what you're bringing with you into the Lyceum and what you're leaving outside. And let me know when you've done so.]
Jarlianthas Erethriel
 player, 41 posts
Mon 13 Dec 2010
at 22:24
Re: The Lyceum (main)
"I will suggest that we explore this methodically let us follow the left-hand wall."
D'aden Tor VIII
 player, 57 posts
 Farmborn, self-taught,
 goalless drifter, so far.
Tue 14 Dec 2010
at 05:40
Re: The Lyceum (main)
D'aden readies his bow and prepares to walk forward. In his mind's eye, numerous draconians leap from around corners, meeting their own destruction in the arrows that speed from his singing bow-string. All the time he looks at the structure around him, determined to spot any anomaly.
Olven Wolf
 player, 184 posts
Tue 14 Dec 2010
at 09:02
Re: The Lyceum (main)
"Left-hand wall it is.  Any of you have any familiarity with traps?" Olven asks in a low voice, keeping a careful eye on his surroundings as he moves slowly forward.  His axe is in its sheath at his side, and his shield and spear are across his back.  In his hands, he carries his loaded crossbow.

OOC:  Following Jarlianthas' recommendation, Olven will follow the left-hand wall.
Dragondog
 GM, 412 posts
Tue 14 Dec 2010
at 09:18
Re: The Lyceum (main)
"I have some skill with traps," Sarah said.
Olven Wolf
 player, 185 posts
Tue 14 Dec 2010
at 14:26
Re: The Lyceum (main)
"Sarah, would you go first, looking for traps?  I'll follow right behind you," Olven says.  He looks back at the monk.  "If that's okay with you, Kar," he says.

OOC: What's the lighting like here?  Do we need torches?  Who's carrying torches?
Jarlianthas Erethriel
 player, 43 posts
Tue 14 Dec 2010
at 18:20
Re: The Lyceum (main)
Jarlianthas hold his good hand out, taking a torch and speaking an arcane phrase.  Suddenly the torch sparks to life, glowing of it's own accord.

"That should do it I think."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:21, Tue 14 Dec 2010.

Owain uth Urien
 NPC, 82 posts
 Big, bad and cuddly, like
 a teddy bear with swords
Tue 14 Dec 2010
at 20:51
Re: The Lyceum (main)
(Try #2:)

"I suspect that there are traps all over. Magical ones most likely, this being a magical place. I would alos think them to be fairly innocuous, more or less. A place of learning, they might teach a lesson, and knowing the right words or actions should make them not trip. However, paralyzing someone until the proper word is spoken would be minor in that setting, and perhaps fatal now."

This message was last edited by unknown at 21:06, Tue 14 Dec 2010.

Dragondog
 GM, 415 posts
Thu 16 Dec 2010
at 08:14
Re: The Lyceum (main)
Sarah led the heroes around the corner as she was looking for traps. The door they approached was made of blue steel covered with engravings. Two statues in black stone, each three times as high as the heroes, flanked the corriodor in their alcoves.

The statues depicted robed wizards, each with its right hand pressed across its chest and the left arm crooked palm up agaisnt its side. The left hand cradled a great black globe.

Jarl's magically lit torch provided all the light they could need.

"There are no traps on the door either," Sarah said after examening the door.

N               | . . |
M               |. . .|
L    /---\      | . . |      /---\
K  |-. # .-------. . .-------. # .-|
J  |. K . . O . . . . . . . . . . .|
I  D S W J . . . . . . . . . . . . D
H  |. V . T . . . . . . . . . . . .|
G  |-. # .-------. . .-------. # .-|
F    \---/      | . . |      \---/
E               |. . .|
D               | . . |
C               |. . .|
B               | . . |
A               |-DDD-|

  ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456

T = D'aden
J = Ward Master Jarlianthas
W = Olven
K = Kar
O = Sir Owain
V = Tarhall
S = Sarah Caladen

. = The center of a hex. If the center of a hex resides in a wall, it is not indicated on the map, but the hex is still there.
D = Door
DDD = Double Door
# = Statue

[OOC: I placed the characters on the map. If you want your character to somewhere else, please say so in your post.]