Part 4 - Regrouping.   Posted by The Force.Group: 0
Rhijans Thanus
 player, 113 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Tue 18 Jan 2011
at 19:17
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Rhijans nodded.  "I can't push this thing much faster without risking us crashing, but Jalt's coming back toward us.  The distance is gonna close fast.  And I mis-spoke myself...he said 'six or seven' were following him, but I'm betting there are more that he hasn't picked up on, yet.  I could be wrong...without knowing how large the gang is, there's no way to know how many of them could be out there."  He grabbed his breath filter, ready to pop it on at a moment's notice.

"Everyone get ready...at the speed we're closing, we're going to have a matter of seconds to start shooting once we see Jalt."
Neary Narf
 player, 54 posts
 Co-pilot of the
 Dancing Bantha
Thu 20 Jan 2011
at 10:33
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
"They won't see us.  The Empire, that is.  Even with what surveillance they might have would have to contend first with the atmosphere and then the canopy of the forest.  So unless they're tracking us, which I doubt, it won't matter what we weapon we use.  I know that much for certain," Neary claims and gets up, ready to start taking shots at the gang that insists on getting to know them better.
Rhijans Thanus
 player, 114 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Thu 20 Jan 2011
at 16:36
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Rhijans shrugged, moving very slightly to avoid moving the controls.  "Better safe than sorry.  Stick to the blasters."  A little paranoia went a long ways, in his experience, and he felt like they'd pushed their luck about as far as they could expect it to go.
The Force
 GM, 104 posts
 These aren't the dice
 rolls you're looking for.
Thu 20 Jan 2011
at 19:39
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Jalt's voice comes from the comms again, "Ready or not, here I come!"  There is a shrieking roar which rattles the transport, and downshifts in frequency as the swoop goes past, flat out.  In its wake, dead leaves, seeds and spores swirl in a vortex of churned air.

Rhijans manages to hold the bucking transport on the road, though it drops sharply and bangs its belly against the ground.  Not hard, but enough to make its occupants stagger.

Ahead, seven swoops are rushing towards the vehicle.  Close enough that Neary Narf is sure she can see the colour of the lead rider's eyes.

One of the pilots levels a blaster pistol, and a shot ricochets off the sloped front of the transport!


OOC: Don't just stand there!  Shoot 'em!

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:39, Thu 20 Jan 2011.

Tfalta Dawl
 player, 8 posts
 Always look on the bright
 side of the light side
Thu 20 Jan 2011
at 19:29
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
"Do we really have to fight? It's such a waste of life, not to mention energy! Energy that can be spent on more fun and constructive activities!" Tfalta said, still cheerful but also reluctant.

The orange alien staggered when the transport kissed the ground below, finding some support from the doorcase in the end.

"Whoops! Careful now, better safe than sorry, remember!" A huge grin dominated her features.
Shard
 player, 142 posts
 Most days, I'm tired.
 ...or drunk.
Thu 20 Jan 2011
at 19:37
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Ignoring their visitor, Shard opens the window and takes aim with the clunky pistol.  Volume again seems to be the key, so she doesn't waste time squeezing off a shot at the closest of the enemy.  It's optomistic of her, but if she keeps shooting she might just hit them...or at least make them reconsider.

If their cargo vehicle suddenly sprouts blaster-bolts from multiple apetures, maybe the pirates will give it up as a lost cause.

And banthas will fly, she grimly notes.
Rhijans Thanus
 player, 115 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Fri 21 Jan 2011
at 01:19
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Rhijans muttered a curse as Jalt's fly-by caused havoc with the hover controls for a moment, before righting the transport.  He didn't slow down...didn't dare.  Anything that prolonged their time in the gang's 'kill box' would only encourage the gangers to get more aggressive.

At Dawl's comment, he shouted back over his shoulder, his voice muffled somewhat by the filter mask.  "Fighting wasn't our idea.  If you want to step out there and talk philosophy with them, be my guest, but I wouldn't count on a warm reception!"  Yet again, he cursed his own initiative in renting the transport.  Yes, they were getting the job done...but HE was stuck driving.  Nothing to be done about it now, he reasoned with himself, except to get back to the ship as soon as possible so you can get back behind your weapon again, where you belong.

He toyed with the idea of nudging the throttle a little higher...and shook it off.  Thus far, he was holding his own at the controls, but 'faster' in this thing also meant 'more difficult to fly'.  He'd hate to have gotten through everything so smoothly to this point, only to crash because he got impatient.  He could handle being shot down...that was beyond his control.  But screwing up and crashing?  Totally unacceptable.

So he clenched his jaw tightly and did his best to hold the craft steady as the air grew thick with blaster fire.
Mark Jacobs
 player, 74 posts
 Got a bad feeling
 about this.
Fri 21 Jan 2011
at 06:12
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Mark laughed from within the breath mask at Rhijan's remark. "Well I might still shove you out if you'd like." He pulled his blaster and openned the window.

He lined up a shot, waited and fired a few shots.
The Force
 GM, 106 posts
 These aren't the dice
 rolls you're looking for.
Mon 24 Jan 2011
at 18:25
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Mark Jacobs fires twice in quick succession, and one of the attacking swoops erupts in a ball of flame and crashes onto the roadway, where it skids along for some distance, still burning and emitting quantities of black smoke.

Shard fires too, using her borrowed blaster.  The swoop rider sees her at the last moment, and throws the vehicle into a gut-wrenching swerve, narrowly avoiding a collision with the transport.  The blaster bolt misses its target and vanshes among the trees.

Some distance behind the transport, Reldan Jalt attempts to bring the swoop around in a tight turn, but almost crashes it and is forced to concentrate on simply recovering from the near-collision.

Two of the remaining swoops scream past the transport at full speed, still intent on catching Reldan Jalt.  The others are already slowing, preparing to turn back and pursue the cargo transport.  Blaster fire strikes the vehicle, but there doesn't seem to be any serious damage, and Rhijans holds his course with grim determination.

As one of them passes the open door, braking sharply, the rider has a brief glimpse of an orange shape leaping out at him.  Hands grab at him, and the swoop drops suddenly as its repulsorlift unit screams in protest as an extra load is suddenly applied to it...
Shard
 player, 146 posts
 Most days, I'm tired.
 ...or drunk.
Wed 26 Jan 2011
at 13:45
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
She hadn't really expected to hit anything; the shock of her blaster-fire, the evasive on the part of the flier, both seemed to be sufficient to keep him busy and not shooting at their transport.  Good enough.

Unfortunately, that left a bunch more.

It's right about then that their guest decides to take Shard up on her earlier 'suggestion', leaping from the vehicle to actually grapple with one of the swoop pilots.  Shard takes a moment to rub the bridge of her nose.  Yes...definitely Jedi trained.  She can't stop the lopsided, half-smile.

Good luck.

She's no good firing on either of the swoops in hot pursuit of Jalt - all she can do is pray he makes it through - but the others have slowed to turn.  Picking one, Shard accepts the fear and anger she feels, passing through them undenying but also untouched by their stain, into a place of focus.

They'll close in, firing - this time, she plans to be prepared.

I'm sorry, the woman thinks, somewhere in the back of her mind.  But it's you or these kids.
Neary Narf
 player, 55 posts
 Co-pilot of the
 Dancing Bantha
Wed 26 Jan 2011
at 19:07
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
"Want me to go after her?" Neary asks sardonically as their guest vacates the transport in a most insane manner.  She was after all supposed to watch her.  She moves up to cover the door and start blasting at any swoop apart from the one sporting her pilot or the orange lunatic.
Rhijans Thanus
 player, 117 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Thu 27 Jan 2011
at 07:24
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
The transport bucked ever-so-slightly as the weight shifted with the departure of Dawl.  Rhijans didn't realize what it was until Narf asked about following her out, and he risked a quick glance back at the passengers.  What in the... he shook his head as he returned his gaze straight ahead.

"As long as she's not using the damn lightsaber, she's fine.  Shoot someone," he answered.  It was near impossible to tell if he was echoing the semi-sarcastic tone of Narf's question, or if he was actually taking her seriously, but his expression was totally focused on the way ahead and gave no additional clues.

He had an idea...it was reckless, dangerous, even, and would just about guarantee that they wouldn't be getting the deposit for the transport back from Zaerd.  He'd wait and see how the blaster fire went, before he tried it.
The Force
 GM, 107 posts
 These aren't the dice
 rolls you're looking for.
Fri 28 Jan 2011
at 11:26
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Reldan jalt continues to struggle with controlling his wildly gyrating swoop.  Two of the opposition home in on him, and one of them is forced to swerve to avoid a collision.  Too bad he doesn't also avoid the collision with the tree: one of the swoop's stablisers clips the trunk and is badly bent, making the vehicle even more insanely dangerous to use.

Meanwhile, aboard another barely-controlled swoop, Tfalta Dawl reaches past the pilot with her left hand to grab the control bar, and simultaneously pushes the man, hard, with her right elbow.  The swoop tilts, and the pilot falls, to tumble and bounce a short way off the road in a cloud of fallen leaves, dust, and other detritus.  Leaving Tfalta to try and gain control of the swoop.

Inside the transport, Neary Narf shoots at one of the swoops as draws level with the doorway.  Blaster fire rips into its instrument panel, and the swoop slows and turns off the road leaving a trail of smoke and sparks behind as the driver frantically tries to regain some semblance of control over his errant vehicle.

Mark Jacobs reaches out of the window and fires back, along the side of the transport opposite the still open door.  His target veers aside, and the shot is a narrow miss.

And in the midst of all this, Shard stands, apparently calm and unmoved amid the raging chaos. 

Rhijans Thanus, meanwhile, continues to focus on his driving, while a cunning plan starts to formulate in his mind...

Blaster fire rakes against the side of the vehicle again, and one bolt actually penetrates the hull.  Jihon Mogg cries out and falls, all four hands clutching at his thigh, as Shisskurr goes to his aid.
Shard
 player, 147 posts
 Most days, I'm tired.
 ...or drunk.
Fri 28 Jan 2011
at 12:37
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
The girl seems to be doing well enough, but Shard hates this thing in her hand - the cold, empty threat of it.  It's worse than holding a poisonous snake, because that would be living.  The blaster is a dead thing bringing death.

And yet...

Shard remembers an old text she once read.  She isn't certain from where, and it really doesn't matter, so little of it she remembers.  But one phrase stuck in her mind: the sword that gives life.  At the memory, the blaster seems to warm in her hands, becoming something different.

It is, after all, the only shield she has for the people she wishes to protect.

A swoop dives through her field of vision - without concious thought, balanced between sorrow and necessity, Shard tracks it and opens fire.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:49, Tue 12 Apr 2011.

Rhijans Thanus
 player, 118 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Fri 28 Jan 2011
at 17:14
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Rhijans took a moment to check on the position of the swoops around them.  He'd be perfectly happy if they all got picked off or frustrated and left without him needing to do anything but drive...but if he was going to try something, they'd need to be almost right on top of the transport.  And Jalt and...whatever her name is, the crazy one, he told himself, would need to be somewhere else.  Swoops were dangerous enough, he didn't want to risk becoming a hazard for his own teammates.

He was, however, heartened with the dwindling numbers.  They seemed to be a pretty efficient group, which had always been one of the reasons he'd operated solo in the past.  While part of him still blanched at the prospect of being reliant on others for any degree of help, it was good to see that those he was teamed with were people on whom he could rely.

He drove on, keeping his speed up.  He'd wait for his opportunity...and hope the blasters of his team meant that it never presented itself.
Neary Narf
 player, 56 posts
 Co-pilot of the
 Dancing Bantha
Sat 29 Jan 2011
at 09:42
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Ignoring all that goes around, apart from the enemies on the swoops, Neary fires again, hoping to hit something or someone unfriendly or at least scare them.
Mark Jacobs
 player, 76 posts
 Got a bad feeling
 about this.
Sun 30 Jan 2011
at 02:06
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
"These guys don't learn. We can keep picking them off while they try to harrass us."

Mark Jacobs fired his blaster again.
The Force
 GM, 108 posts
 These aren't the dice
 rolls you're looking for.
Mon 31 Jan 2011
at 13:06
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Jihon Mogg lays on the floor while Shisskurr works on patching him up.  He's not moving much, but at least his eyes are open, and he grumbles occasionally when the big trandoshan pokes too hard at the wound in his thigh shoulder.

Reldan Jalt still struggles with the swoop, just barely in control of it.  At least the attacker with the damaged swoop seems to be worse off.  The other attacker squeezes off a shot, and Reldan's vehicle suddenly has a smoking hole where its weapon mounting used to be.

From out in the forest, in the general direction that Neary Narf's last target had disappeared, there is a sudden dull boom.  The demolitions expert pays no attention, instead choosing to shoot at another swoop.  The shot hits, and the swoop suddenly slows down, with sparks and smoke pouring from its repulsorlift housing.

Shard focusses her mind, and waits until a swoop comes into her line of sight.  The rider raises a blaster, firing a shot at the transport, even as Rhijans Thanus sees him and takes evasive action... and Shard fires.  The blaster bolt hits, and the swoop explodes in a fireball, which crashes down onto the road.  The rider is thrown clear, bouncing off the hull of the transport to land in the vegetation at the roadside.

At his own window, Mark Jacobs fires off a couple more shots at his own target, this time with more success.  The vehicle swerves as blaster fire slams into it, and then veers off the road as the rider is hit and topples off.

Which leaves only the two swoops, one of them damaged and almost completely out of control, which are harrassing the rebel pilot, and Neary Narf's most recent victim, which seems to be struggling to maintain speed.  The rider, doubtless frustrated, fires off a shot from his blaster pistol, and misses the transport completely.

Meanwhile, Tfalta Dawl manages to bring her newly acquired swoop to an almost complete stop and, after, getting comfortable, heads across to see if she can help Reldan Jalt.
Shard
 player, 149 posts
 Most days, I'm tired.
 ...or drunk.
Mon 31 Jan 2011
at 15:16
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
No elation rises in Shard as her target plummets and its rider bounces off the transport with an oddly-musical *bonngg*; she feels only sorrow at the result and hope that the pilot comes out of it with nothing more than broken bones.  And, with luck, a vow to swear-off banditry.  No time to waste, though - another blaster bolt howls past the transport, one rider grimly hanging in despite the loss of his friends.

Or perhaps because of that loss.

This time Shard doesn't bother concentrating; instead, she takes a moment to ensure none of her allies are behind the enemy swoop, then opens fire as quickly as she can, sacrificing accuracy for volume. "Run away, you stubborn bastard," she growls, sending a brilliant orange storm his way, knowing full well that several allied blasters will be firing for effect.

If she can drive him off before one of her associates hits him, better and better.  If not...well, the man chose his path.
Rhijans Thanus
 player, 119 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Mon 31 Jan 2011
at 18:04
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Rhijans gave a grunt as he pulled the transport back on course, gratified by the dwindling amount of incoming fire.  If he'd been skilled enough as a driver, he would take a look around to see the results of the team's firepower; as it was, he just relaxed a little bit at having fewer challenges to his limited driving skills.

He gave a tight-lipped grin as he recognized the sound of his blaster, in Shard's hands, opening up in a rapid-fire pattern.  That, actually, would have been his preferred tactic going into the encounter...produce enough firepower to make the swoop gang think again about the attack.  But damaging or destroying their swoops would make life safer for anyone else traveling this route, for a while, at least.  Swoops weren't cheap.

Of course, given their current activity, he suspected the swoop gangers hadn't exactly acquired their vehicles through legitimate means.
Mark Jacobs
 player, 77 posts
 Got a bad feeling
 about this.
Tue 1 Feb 2011
at 05:43
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Mark gave a smug response as he hit his target. Mark fired two more shots as the swoop approached. This was dragging on for too long.

"Let's finish this."
Neary Narf
 player, 57 posts
 Co-pilot of the
 Dancing Bantha
Wed 2 Feb 2011
at 12:23
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Taking careful aim at the remaining swoop Neary hopes to once more disable the vehicle, hoping that Reldan, wherever he is, is still alive and well.
The Force
 GM, 110 posts
 These aren't the dice
 rolls you're looking for.
Thu 3 Feb 2011
at 09:36
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
There is a hail of blaster fire from the transport.  The remaining swoop swerves away, but not before taking a number of hits which leave it sluggish, and trailing thin whisps of oily smoke.  The rider decides that discretion is the better part of idiocy, and pulls off the road, moving away into the forest at a low enough speed to easily avoid hitting anything solid.

Reldan Jalt's opponents, one of them struggling to control his damaged swoop spot Tfalta Dawl coming towards them, and decide that they aren't really a match for two people.  They, too, turn tail...

The attack appears to be over.

Jihon Mogg sits up, though he winces noticeably as he does so, and lets out a low groan.  Shisskurr slaps him on the back, eliciting another groan, "You'll live."

Finally, now that he isn't being harassed, Reldan Jalt manages to get his swoop under control, and accelerates to catch up with the transport.  Tfalta Dawl is close behind him on her stolen swoop.
Shard
 player, 150 posts
 Most days, I'm tired.
 ...or drunk.
Thu 3 Feb 2011
at 14:28
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
"Done," Shard breathes, slowly relaxing.  Turning away from the window, she puts her back against the side of the transport and slowly slides to the floor.  Her right hand cradles the heavy blaster, fumbling until it finds the safety and flicking it on; her left searched inside her cloak and comes out with a silvery length of smooth metal.

Her thumb flicks the top open, and Shard takes a long drink from her flask.  The whip-lean woman shudders as the alcohol burns its way down - this isn't the good stuff, there will be no croaked attempt at 'smooth'.  "Everyone made it through," she calls out to Rhijans.  "Even the stowaway."

Shisskurr seems to have things under control with the injured Mogg.  Another drink, then she forces herself to her feet, wobbling her way to the front, her unsteadiness more from weak, aching knees than anything she downed in the last few seconds.  "Blaster," Shard hoarsely explains, passing over the heavy pistol before collapsing into the passenger seat.  "Thanks."
Rhijans Thanus
 player, 120 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Thu 3 Feb 2011
at 17:07
Re: Part 4 - Regrouping
Rhijans took the blaster from Shard, sliding it smoothly into the holster without so much as a glance to even make sure it was his.  He knew it...it was like an old friend, whose presence one might recognize as soon as they entered the room.  His hand knew every curve and irregularity on the grip.

"Thanks for being hands and eyes for me," he replied.  The stress of trying to fly the transport, which was at the very edge of his abilities, had been massively compounded by frustration at being powerless to do what his every instinct had called for, when faced with the attack.  There had been some small relief from that in knowing that he'd at least contributed a weapon to help.  And managing to not crash the transport had also been some comfort, although that was only just now beginning to kick in.

He activated his commlink, speaking both to his passengers and into the comm.  "Next stop, starport.  Let's get this stuff loaded while I get the transport back to Zaerd and see how much more we end up owing him for blaster-damage to the swoops.  Get that...JEDI," and his voice twisted slightly, as though saying the word was a discomfort in its own right, "on the ship as quick and quiet as possible, in case the Imperials have passed word around the planet to keep an eye open for her, and let's see if we can get out of here without any further complications."