Part 21 - Yakusant.   Posted by The Force.Group: 0
Rhijans Thanus
 player, 1281 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Mon 29 Oct 2018
at 18:57
Part 21 - Yakusant
With his ears no longer overwhelmed by the blast in the 'throne room' (or whatever they called it), Rhijans heard the commlink this time.  Glad she didn't do that thirty seconds later... he thought.  Having to explain a commlink would be awkward, indeed, especially since none of them spoke whatever it was their would-be captors were using for language...

He keyed the commlink.  "Still alive...and working on getting out.  Could get interesting..."  A brief pause, then he continued, "No time for the full story right now, but whatever you do, don't start randomly shooting into the crowd outside the building...we're going to be among them, hopefully looking just like them, and I'd hate to get shot by accident.Or on purpose, for that matter...  He was just generally opposed to the idea of getting shot...but he'd rather take his chances with the Clades' slugthrowers than with the Bantha's ship's guns.
The Force
 GM, 984 posts
 These aren't the dice
 rolls you're looking for.
Sun 4 Nov 2018
at 17:53
Part 21 - Yakusant
Rhijans quickly communicates their situation back to the ship, confirming that all of the group are still alive, but that there has been some sort of glitch in the negotiation.

Then the trio head out...

Outside the door, the air is filled with fine, blowing dust.  Individuals from Nuq Clade seem to be getting herded into groups by yellow sashes, and forced, at gun-point, to sit on the ground with their hands on their heads.  All of this is accompanied by a lot of very aggressive sounding yelling in what seems to be the Clade's own language.

A yellow sash seems to grant immunity to this process.  Though not to the yelling.  One yellow sashed individual spots the three and starts yelling at them, while pointing at a group of about a dozen prisoners who are sitting quietly on the ground nearby.  No yellow sashes are near these prisoners...
Rhijans Thanus
 player, 1282 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 07:42
Part 21 - Yakusant
Rhijans quickly weighed options in his mind...just walking away was guaranteed to draw attention, since they couldn't really explain why they were ignoring the apparent order.  Taking up guard duty would keep them on a low profile...but if the prisoners were in the mood to make a break for it, the trio would be the first ones they'd go after, and while he felt no particular concern for their well-being, Rhijans also didn't feel any particular desire to want to shoot people who weren't an enemy or somehow deserving of getting shot.

Better to play for time and look for an opening, he figured...although how much time was questionable.  Someone was going to find the four they took down, sooner or later.  "Follow my lead," he said in a low mutter, hefting the slugthrower and walking over to the group that they were apparently supposed to be guarding.  As he moved, he looked around to gauge how many other yellow-sashed figures were paying attention to them...and how close they were.  A variety of scenarios played out in his mind...he chose to focus on the ones that ended up with the team making it back to the ship.  He moved closer to the one directing them...he seemed, at the moment, to be the only one really paying attention to them...that increased the chances that he would be a target, and Rhijans wanted to be close enough to do something about that without resorting to weapons-fire.  Because firing a weapon would DEFINITELY attract a lot of attention...
Shard
 player, 1354 posts
 Most days, I'm tired.
 ...or drunk.
Mon 5 Nov 2018
at 10:18
Part 21 - Yakusant
Still dithering over her choices, Shard abruptly freezes where she stands.  A line appears between her brows, drawing down, and for an instant - a barest instant - she closes her eyes, more than a blink.  Then they snap open again.  "They're alive and on the way, Juragga!"

Thank you, Haarmon.


A heartbeat later, Rhijans is on the comm.  Shard fumbles for hers.  ++ You need a lift, or anything, just let us know.  We'll see what we can do.  Juragga is on the guns right now, so you don't need to worry about accuracy. ++  Hefting her own weapon - the pistol, this time - she readies herself.  The moment they're in sight, that ramp needs to be lowered, potentially with cover fire outside of the field of fire of the ship guns.

No point telling Rhijans to exercise caution -- redundant in the extreme -- but she does, anyway.  ++ Please be careful. ++
Haarmon Dak
 player, 758 posts
 Are you talking to me?
Wed 7 Nov 2018
at 14:45
Part 21 - Yakusant
If Haarmon was sweating before, he was drenched now. This was all the way out into the weeds, deep in the tall grass. As little as he liked shooting his way out of things, he liked not being able to talk his way out even less. He was really only good at two things: slicing and telling lies.

And he couldn't do either of these things.

"How's your knife-work?" he asked Rhijans, under his breath, mostly in jest.

Mostly.
Rhijans Thanus
 player, 1285 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Wed 7 Nov 2018
at 18:36
Part 21 - Yakusant
Rhijans grimaced, adding in a quick, quiet mutter, "Doesn't matter.  I don't have a knife."  He thought about adding more...but the fact that most of the yellow-sashed figures in view were yelling made him wary of getting into a conversation in low tones.  If these people didn't speak quietly, doing so would paint them as outsiders as surely as if they started speaking loudly, of just dropped their yellow sashes and ran.

He kept assessing their situation...and the group they were being called over to guard.  If enough factors fell the right way, he had the start of a plan.  If...
The Force
 GM, 986 posts
 These aren't the dice
 rolls you're looking for.
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 18:54
Part 21 - Yakusant
The group sitting on the ground look defeated.  Their heads are down, and they don't seem to be paying any attention to what is going on around them.  Except for one... that one appears to be attempting to comfort a somewhat smaller individual, and does not sit hands on head...

One of the yellow sashes is shouting again, thought the monologue seems to be directed at a group clustered around him.  One hand is raised suddenly, a digit pointing at the sky.  The heads of the audience all tilt back to look upwards.

Aboard the Bantha, Juragga uses the gun scope to watch the groups outside the building.  This all looks familiar... 

In the cockpit, Shard keeps watch.  There is a lot of gesticulating, and one of the locals is pointing straight up.  Three others seem to be acting oddly (which is to say, not like most of the others) ...
Rhijans Thanus
 player, 1287 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Thu 8 Nov 2018
at 20:01
Part 21 - Yakusant
Rhijans' jaw clenched slightly.  There was a chance he was wrong, that the upward gesture was some kind of invocation of whatever passed for deity here...but to him, this looked suspiciously like a slaving raid.  And in that moment, he stopped looking for the cleanest way out, and started assessing what the odds were that they could take down the yellow-sashed figures.  He keyed his commlink.

"Shard?" he began in a low, controlled tone.  There was an edge to it that was unlike anything he'd used around the group before...but it had the promise of an unpleasant experience for someone lurking in it.  "Can you check the sensors and see if there's anything incoming from overhead?"

If they'd been left alone and let go, there was a chance Rhijans would have put his conscience...yes, he had a conscience, it just didn't react like many expected it to...he would have put it in check and walked away, for the good of the group.  But, unwittingly, they'd tried to make him an accomplice.  And that did not sit well with him...

This message was last edited by the player at 04:03, Sun 11 Nov 2018.

Haarmon Dak
 player, 759 posts
 Are you talking to me?
Sun 11 Nov 2018
at 03:07
Part 21 - Yakusant
Haarmon couldn't read the situation as well or as quickly as Rhijans was. He saw the gesture and also thought maybe it meant something was coming from the sky. But he didn't know the implications or consequences thereof.

He was glad Rhijans seemed so on top of things. He followed the Big Man, hand on pistol, ready to do whatever needed doing.
Juragga
 player, 574 posts
 Wookiee Warrior
 Bringing the Boom
Sun 11 Nov 2018
at 20:23
Part 21 - Yakusant
Behind the gunsights, Juragga snarled.  He had a strong feeling he knew what was going on here.  His shaggy paws tightened on the controls and he began taking careful aim.

(OOC: Based on his experience, does Juragga think he could reasonably shoot at the yellow-sashed figures with a good chance of NOT hitting the prisoner-types?  Or is the fire too gross and inaccurate at this range and level of fidelity to do so?)
The Force
 GM, 987 posts
 These aren't the dice
 rolls you're looking for.
Sun 11 Nov 2018
at 21:22
Part 21 - Yakusant
The monologue starts again, punctuated by the raised arm pointing at the sky.  And as it continues individuals start to move away, some hurrying into the smouldering building, while others spread out to surround the whole area.
Rhijans Thanus
 player, 1288 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Mon 12 Nov 2018
at 03:00
Part 21 - Yakusant
Rhijans scowled, his face shrouded by the robes.  Spread out created some advantages, and took away others.  More bodies in the building improved their odds a bit, as well.

He gestured Haarmon and Jalt over.  "Look...this looks suspiciously like a slaving raid.  The smart move is to clear out while the yellow sashes are focused on getting more people out of the building and fanning out to cover the area...but I really don't like the fact that they just tried to get us to help them hold prisoners while the slave ship arrives.  Personally, my first impulse is to wait for them to cluster together and throw a thermal detonator in the middle, seeing as they tried that first...but I'm not the only one whose life is on the line, here."

He paused, looking around with eyes like obsidian.  "We have a resposibility to get the Colonel back to Command, and we shouldn't leave Shard and Juragga stuck with it.  I know what I'd prefer to do...but it's probably not what we SHOULD do.  I want your input before I do something that's gonna put us all at risk."  His voice was low, a dangerous growl that barely carried beyond the trio with the background noise of being outside.
Haarmon Dak
 player, 760 posts
 Are you talking to me?
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 01:47
Part 21 - Yakusant
Haarmon didn't even have to think about it. "I'm with you, Cap. I'm not much good out here in the world, but I'm behind you."

He tucked his hand under his robe and held it on the grip of his pistol. He felt reassured by its presence.

"What do you say we get on the comm and call in an airstrike, like?"

Cast a Summon Bantha spell. Get some air support.
Rhijans Thanus
 player, 1289 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 04:16
Part 21 - Yakusant
Rhijans looked at Jalt.  "Your ship, your call. I don't even know if she can lift off again without installing the part you got from the Hutt, much less fly over and provide air cover.  And we don't know what's coming down from overhead, yet...if they're heavily armed pirates, we could be setting the Bantha up for a pounding."
Shard
 player, 1357 posts
 Most days, I'm tired.
 ...or drunk.
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 10:15
Part 21 - Yakusant
And away she goes to the sensors, relief flooding through her at the sound of Rhijans' voice.  They're alive...all three, from the look of things, Shard having spotted the three in the crowd moving just a tad out of synch with everyone else.  Jubilation filling her, she cries out to Juragga.  "They're fine, we just need to get them out of there..."

The words trail off as she checks the sensors.

A moment later, she hits the comlink again, her voice quiet despite the sudden strain tightening her throat. ++ Rhijans, we have a single, heavy ship in orbit, and a number of smaller ones on their way down. ++  You need to get back here, she could say, but it would be redundant.

Suddenly things aren't quite so rosy, after all.

"Juragga, we've got company coming!" she calls through the empty hallways of the ship.
Rhijans Thanus
 player, 1290 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 16:45
Part 21 - Yakusant
And with that, an intervention by the Bantha becomes an implausible gesture.  "Multiple incoming small craft, and a single large vessel overhead.  Fighting our way out is looking less viable..."  He looked around again, sizing up how many yellow sashes were outside and where they were located.

"What we need is a way to get the locals here able to fight back...if they rise up to take down the yellow sashes, we can use the noise as a cover to get back to the ship...and they may just be able to get free.  I'm guessing the slavers coming in aren't interested in a fight..."

He paused for a moment, as another thought dawned in his mind, and he keyed the commlink again.  "Shard, can you tell what kind of ships are coming in?  Or, at least, what's overhead?"  He looked at the other two and added, "If they're slavers, they won't be looking for a fight.  If they're Imperial, they won't think twice about it.  And they might be here for whatever we were being pitched to haul out."  That one, they'd have to worry about later.  Right now, they needed to find a way to make some noise, and get the captives ready to fight back.  His eyes kept moving, not only building a tactical assessment but also looking for the captured weapons that would have been taken off the captives.
Juragga
 player, 576 posts
 Wookiee Warrior
 Bringing the Boom
Tue 13 Nov 2018
at 21:56
Part 21 - Yakusant
Juragga roared a reply to Shard, swiveling his scope and shifting his focus skyward with a long Wookiee curse.
Haarmon Dak
 player, 761 posts
 Are you talking to me?
Thu 15 Nov 2018
at 14:53
Part 21 - Yakusant
"How do you spark an uprising on the fly? Without even speaking the language?"

He looked over the little group of prisoners they were 'guarding.' About a dozen. Pretty rag-tag looking, all in all. But his eye was drawn to the one person looking halfway defiant, comforting a little one.

"Basic?" he called out to them, "Anyone? Here? You? Anyone? Basic?"

Whatever it is they planned to do, they'd want to know how much help they could expect from their 'allies.'
Reldan Jalt
 NPC, 95 posts
 How much? That depends on
 how fast and how far.
Thu 15 Nov 2018
at 20:59
Part 21 - Yakusant
"She'll fly, but she'll be a bit sluggish." Jalt confirms.  "Main power coupling is shot, so she's running on the auxiliary system, which isn't really intended for top performance."

"I can to talking Bazic some."  The figure with the child holds up one hand, two digits held a very short distance apart.  "Little some.  You is no Deqotz Clade?"
Shard
 player, 1359 posts
 Most days, I'm tired.
 ...or drunk.
Sun 18 Nov 2018
at 02:08
Part 21 - Yakusant
Even for Shard, it's not difficult to fiddle with the equipment and get it tuned a little better for seeing 'high'.  She squints at the display, her own eyesight less-than-perfect up close.  After a moment, the woman's face twists as if she has bitten into a particularly bitter (and possibly rotted) lemon.  Of course.

Then it's right back to the com-link.

++ Imperials, ++ she flatly states without any attempt at sarcasm, irony, or even frustration.  There's no time for that, now.  ++ Star Destroyer in orbit.  Lambda class shuttle and TIE escorts on their way down.  I'm getting an ETA now. ++

As she studies the screen, she releases com to shout through the ship. "Juragga!  We're not fighting our way out, it's Imperials on the way." Her jaw sets as her voice drops.  "And we're in no shape to run, either."

Nimadda. 


Now, Shard considers, would be a good time for a patented Thanus & Dak Risky-Yet-Calculated Plan to pull their rears out of the Void.
Juragga
 player, 577 posts
 Wookiee Warrior
 Bringing the Boom
Sun 18 Nov 2018
at 02:19
Part 21 - Yakusant
Juragga let out a roar of defiance.

He had no intention of being taken alive.

He focused the scope on the shuttle, waiting for optimal range.
The Force
 GM, 988 posts
 These aren't the dice
 rolls you're looking for.
Sun 18 Nov 2018
at 21:08
Part 21 - Yakusant
"Imperials!?" Jalt exclaims, "But how... oh, void!  I bet they're here for the cargo!"  He looks up at the sky, almost convinced that he can see the descending ships.  He drags his blaster out from under his robe, and cradles it alongside the primitive weapon, for the moment.

The time for subtlety might be about to fade into the past...

Juragga and Shard study their respective scopes.  The TIEs are in the lead, spread out to provide some cover from fighters coming up from below.
Shard
 player, 1360 posts
 Most days, I'm tired.
 ...or drunk.
Mon 19 Nov 2018
at 10:16
Part 21 - Yakusant
"We start shooting from the ground," Shard shouts, "we're dead.  We need to get this ship in the air, no matter what shape it's in."  A fixed exmplacement will get annihilated by the TIEs.  She returns her attention to the crowd, where her people mix with others.  "C'mon, you three.  Get over here."

The comm goes back on.  ++ If you can get here, we can get out.  The Imperials won't try to stop every ship lifting off if they'r not here specifically for us. ++
Juragga
 player, 578 posts
 Wookiee Warrior
 Bringing the Boom
Mon 19 Nov 2018
at 21:58
Part 21 - Yakusant
Juragga howled in frustration.  But he knew Shard was right.  He kept his guns trained on the shuttle, but held fire for now.

"ROOOWWWWR!!!" he added.

If we're going to lift off, we better do it soon!
Rhijans Thanus
 player, 1292 posts
 Just let me do my job and
 nobody else gets hurt.
Mon 19 Nov 2018
at 22:29
Part 21 - Yakusant
Rhijans focused on the figure that respond.  "No Deqotz Clade," he confirmed, pulling the shroud over his face aside far enough for her (he presumed) to see his face.  There were that many gray-skinned humanoids around...if she'd been in the room, she should recognize who he was.

"We help you fight them, you escape.  Deal?"  He saw two responses likely...one would be potentially fatal for the trio, but it was time for desperate measures.