What Goes Up...   Posted by The Marshall.Group: 0
The Marshall
 GM, 1562 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 11:25
What Goes Up...
Thursday 19 May 2094
0100 Hours
Wet, overcast

En Route to Junktown

Less than five minutes after touchdown, the engine nacelles tilted down and Sky Raider 1 lifted off into the starry sky with a hum of electrically-driven rotors. White snow-capped mountains, lit by starlight, passed by on either side. Hellstromme's aerial behemoth cruised almost silently through the valleys and passes of the Rockies, making its way south to Junktown. They flew low to avoid the Combine radar and the odd Raptor air patrol.

The posse was led by Captain Phelps down a hall into a lounge, then asked to make themselves comfortable. It looked like the lounge was used by the crew, getting a little worn as it was a decade after the War and Judgement Day, but still luxurious in a mid-late 21st century way.

Phelps said, "I'll be back in ten minutes, give anyone the tour who wants one. Gotta make sure we're on course. Make yourselves comfortable. There's booze in the wet bar, coffee and tea. Some sandwiches in the fridge, plus juice and filtered water. TVs have a dataslug library that's pretty extensive."

Peter's technical was safely tied down in the ground vehicle bay, just forward of the aircraft hangar. There was enough room to re-mount the MG but that would make exiting quickly a pain. In the back of the pickup was the tripod mount, though.
Capt. Phelps
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 11:27
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 1):

True to his word, the captain returned just shy of ten minutes later.

"Ok, who wants a tour?"

Stopping, he studied Jane for a moment. "USAF? Good to see a fly-girl like you made it. If you were a pilot, there might be a job for you."
Trejo
 player, 146 posts
 Veteran Templar
 ex-Federale
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 11:36
Re: What Goes Up...
Trejo gave a nod but looked to the other Templars before committing.  He'd be interested to take the tour but he wasn't about to leave Simon alone, supposed safety of the Sky Pirates or not.  If two of the other Templars were willing, he'd like to go.  This ship was a level of comfort and convenience he hadn't seen since Before, not to mention a trip down memory lane.

"Who's got first shift as Simon's guard," he asked the other 3.  "We can switch after."
Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 24 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 11:52
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Trejo (msg # 3):

Being a librarian, Fred eyed the selection of dataslugs eagerly, but then dismissed them as being movies already in the Library's data banks. Maybe there were a few classics they could use, so he merely copied them into his own personal data pad's dataslug port.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 936 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 12:01
Re: What Goes Up...
Capt. Phelps:
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 1):

True to his word, the captain returned just shy of ten minutes later.

"Ok, who wants a tour?"

Stopping, he studied Jane for a moment. "USAF? Good to see a fly-girl like you made it. If you were a pilot, there might be a job for you."

Rowan looks up
" Yes please" she answers politely
Winnie Franklin
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 12:28
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Trejo (msg # 3):

The black woman nodded, her long dreadlocks flowing.

"I'll take first trick."
Smoker Nix
 player, 483 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 14:34
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker jumped to his feet.

"I'd like a tour, please!"

He sounded about 6 years old, almost too excited to stand still.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 339 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 15:51
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter's eyes lit up a little. "Coffee AND alcohol? Very nice." He wandered over to inspect what was available. He poured himself some coffee and held it for a moment, letting it warm his hands. Then he took a deep inhale of the smell wafting from it, the aroma. Finally, he took a sip with his eyes closed and showed a half-smile as the liquid swam its way down to his belly to warm him from the inside.

When the captain returned, Peter looked at Jane to see her reaction to being called a fly-girl, but answered, "I would like the tour."
Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 14 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 16:40
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay approached and poured a coffee, she didn't need the tour, she'd been on the ship for the voyage here.
Trejo
 player, 147 posts
 Veteran Templar
 ex-Federale
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 18:21
Re: What Goes Up...
He gave Winnie a quick nod. "Works," he said.  He moved to the side to grab of cup of coffee.  ACTUAL coffee was not to be missed.  Ever.  He gave the mostly covered Shay a nod as he waited his turn, taking the carafe and filling a mug, enjoying the aroma though he kept his face blank of emotions.  Wouldn't want anyone to think he was soft.  That just meant more blood and dismembering.  Got messy.

"I'll take that tour now as well," he said taking a sip of the scalding hot liquid.  Man, he missed this stuff.
Jane Guin
 player, 379 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sun 1 Sep 2013
at 18:51
Re: What Goes Up...
Jane paused in her thoughts for a moment when she was called a Fly Girl.  That seemed like so long ago...another world...another mission...another life.

Finally she just shook her head and tried to put on a smile.  "That was a long time ago.  It's been awhile since I've flown fixed wing/VTOL.  Now I'm more content to stay on the ground.  I've gotten mighty attached to my current ride."  She didn't bother to say "and the driver".

"But a tour of the place might not be a bad thing to go on.  Let's see what this place has to offer."

While everybody was gathering for the tour, Jane went and snagged a couple of sandwiches for her and Peter.  She came back and handed him one so that they could eat it before they went on the tour or while on the tour.  She had learned a long time ago to eat when you can for you never knew where your next meal came from.
Walker
 player, 18 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 00:42
Re: What Goes Up...
Walker looks around the Crew as they decide what to do. With the Majority opting to take the Tour Walker winces and looks towards their Vehicle and Gear.

He points a thumb over his shoulder with a grin.

"I'll stay here, if that's alright with Y'all?"
Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 15 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Mon 2 Sep 2013
at 00:43
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay nods to Walker (who's name she doesn't know). "I'll do the same."
Capt. Ironsides Phelps
Thu 5 Sep 2013
at 21:42
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Shay Mordred-Spades (msg # 13):

"Great! Let's get going, then."

He smiled and led the Posse out for a tour.

OOC: Tour and map coming ASAP!
Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 16 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Fri 6 Sep 2013
at 00:08
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay wandered around winding up the ropes and other gear.
The Marshall
 GM, 1565 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Fri 6 Sep 2013
at 11:16
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Shay Mordred-Spades (msg # 15):

As a member of the crew, Shay located ropes and rappelling gear beside a window hatch in the lounge on the lower lever. This was one of the exits the ground crew had used to lower themselves to the ground in order to moor the ship.

Ironsides nodded his thanks at Shay for pitching in. For an officer, he cared about his crew and appreciated them. The airship's commander proved to be a friendly and affable sort, not one to stand on ceremony. He'd been from Georgia, originally, and joined the Confederate Air Force about six years before the Final War.

"I used to be a ground-attack pilot, caught some shrapnel in the War." He showed them his artificial foot, a metal prosthetic that (along with the fragments inside him that couldn't be removed) earned him his nickname.

He explained that the Sky Raider was originally designed as a sky crane and cargo hauler. It and its six sister ships had helped build Hellstromme's dome over Junkyard that had protected the city from getting nuked on Judgement Day. Some were converted to passenger liners, but all were decommissioned before the war. Hellstromme industries had retrofitted them with an advanced stealth coating in the hopes of selling them to the USAF as special operations transports but this plan had come to naught.

The immense sky ship didn't used gas cells to provide lift, it used vacuum cells. Powerful air pumps sucked out all the atmosphere in a cell and a charged polymer material used in Hellstromme-designed space suits maintained the negative pressure without deforming. This was not only much safer than some gasses and provided more lift than all other gasses, lift could be generated as long as the ship had power from its Ghost Rock reactor, which gave it effectively unlimited range. The cells and the envelope skin of the vacuum-dirigible were also self-sealing and bullet-resistant.

After it was liberated from the Combine-occupied Hellstromme facilities in Denver, remote gun turrets (20mm autocannon and 4-cell AIM-140 AADSMRAAM missile racks) were installed along the top and sides of the envelope. More weapons stations were added along the sides and bottom of the 2-story gondola. It had almost unlimited range and could lift a cargo of 80 tons.

They started in the lounge, then through the crew quarters (lined with bunk beds).

"Let's start here on the lower level. We gutted it to make a fly-through flight deck and hangar but kept as much as we could. At the rear is the skyhook, we use it to recover the aircraft, and the repair bay. We use an electromagnetic catapult to launch them from the front. At the front of the flight deck is the lounge, and across the flight deck is flight ops and auxiliary controls. Ground vehicle parking is here."

Near the tied down technical were barrels of Spook Juice for the ground vehicles, more vehicle tools. He led the group up a set of stairs, showing off the different areas on the upper level.

"Off there are some luxury cabins. Three of these VIP ones are for your use. Pilots' quarters, bridge crew quarters. Bridge at the front. Skyhook mechanism in the rear, with crane controls."

Remote weapons were controlled from the CIC behind the bridge, beside the CIC was the armoury. There were various small arms, MGs, ammunition, even a few precious ATRs (Anti-Tank Rockets). In the middle of the upper level was the 1000 gallon Spook Juice tank to refuel the aircraft.

"Well, I guess that's it.

"Simon, we can put you and Fred in the middle VIP cabin. You have the ones on either side (front and back) as well."

Smoker Nix
 player, 484 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Fri 6 Sep 2013
at 17:19
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker drinks it all in, clearly intrigued by what he's seeing.
Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 17 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Fri 6 Sep 2013
at 19:35
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay moved around the ship, making sure everything is stored, out of the way.  She watched the skies as well.
Jason Sinclair
 player, 219 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Sat 7 Sep 2013
at 18:09
Re: What Goes Up...
  Jason was a still in a bit of shock. The events of the last few days were a bit much no matter who you are. McConnel's death, Modeen's execution, Simon's sickness, the return of the Horror and a few fresh victims. All his years of occult training and his field time before the War didn't and couldn't prepare him for what was sure to be a major challenge of anyone's skills. No leads nothing and now this run up to Junktown for a summit. Well the ride was as nice as one could ask at least in this day and age. As the tour continued a thought occured to Jason. "I'm sure it has crossed everyone's mind, but how much of a threat are the Raptor patrols to this flying battlewagon and what are our żbattlestations? Against a Raptor I'm not sure how much I could help. Now if we were boarded that would be a different story."

OOC: Made a few assumptions guys in this post. If I made a whoops let me know.
Trejo
 player, 151 posts
 Veteran Templar
 ex-Federale
Sat 7 Sep 2013
at 18:26
Re: What Goes Up...
Trejo followed along, sipping the scalding hot coffee and giving an ugly half smile in appreciation (he was ugly so there were not pretty smiles on this guy).  Whether it was because he was drinking actual coffee or appreciating the comforts and luxuries he hasn't seen since the world went to hell.  Or hell came to the world.  Whichever.

He looked over at Jason and shrugged.  "Our job is to guard Simon.  First and foremost.  Unless you're skilled on one of these babies," he gestured around him, "better off staying out of the way if something does happen.  They're a crew, used to working together.  We're just a third wheel," he remarks gruffly.  If things did happen and they did get boarded...well, that why he had some really sharp pointing things.
Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 19 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Sat 7 Sep 2013
at 18:29
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay returned from her check, and approached the others around the coffee urn. "You are all here to protect Simon?" She reached for a cup and poured some of the dark liquid into it.
Jason Sinclair
 player, 220 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Sat 7 Sep 2013
at 18:38
Re: What Goes Up...
"In a word yes ma'am. And you damned good and well I could barely hit the broadside of a barn with that Trejo. Which is still better than you." Jason's southern drawl is a bit obvious on the ma'am. He smiles at Trejo as he speaks to him.
Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 20 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Sat 7 Sep 2013
at 18:41
Re: What Goes Up...
She looks at Jason, obviously from the old South.  Nodding she continued to listen.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 939 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 7 Sep 2013
at 19:00
Re: What Goes Up...
<quote Jason Sinclair>
  Jason was a still in a bit of shock. The events of the last few days were a bit much no matter who you are.

Rowan
"Can we talk Jason, I am Healer and Witch you are Ranger."
"Some of what I am taught and you have learned over time is along the same lines in the understanding of the seen and unseen."
 "Thank you for not jumping as soon as you learnt what I was". "Some of your brethren were not so kind to our people",
Rowan says this calmly and with out accusation
Jason Sinclair
 player, 222 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Sun 8 Sep 2013
at 00:10
Re: What Goes Up...
"I've known Hucksters, Deaders, Junkers, Priests, Shamans, Cyborgs, and all the rest that are good people. Most of the time in the case of the Deaders. Point is Rowan you have proven yourself many a time. Standing orders back in the day were shoot it or recruit it. Works most of the time. Very little downside then. I keep special rounds from my Ranger days to make sure if I shoot it it gets hurt. I don't just shoot or recruit anymore. In case you are for sure recruited just to be clear. So no worries okay. And you are welcome." he winks at the end of the little speech. "I gotta get a new hat. This one is gettin' a little shabby."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 340 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Mon 9 Sep 2013
at 05:49
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter looked around as they were given the tour, rushing over to look at all the shiny toys and neat things. He kept silent and just listened, however, interested in whatever their tour guide wanted to tell them, but mostly just enjoying being in the air. And, of course, he looked outside every chance he got.

He opened his mouth when Shay asked if they were all there to protect Simon, but Jason spoke up quickly and said they were. Peter closed his mouth and left it at that. He rolled his eyes and moved away.
The Marshall
 GM, 1569 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 9 Sep 2013
at 10:06
Re: What Goes Up...
The Captain ended up at their assigned cabins. He gave them a friendly wave and a bow.

"It's been my pleasure, folks, Simon.

"I gotta go. You can contact my 3rd officer Sandborne via the intercom, if you need anything. Our trip will take about seven hours, due to the need to skirt Combine territory. We should arrive at Junkyard just after dawn.

"We're going to launch our CAP  in five minutes, and we'll rotate 2 birds in the air for escort all the way to Junkyard. Anyone wanting to see, come forward to the Bridge. Otherwise, snacks are in the upper and lower lounge. Get some sleep if you like, have a pleasant trip."


He left for the bridge to oversee the launch of the CAP escort.


Marshall's Note: Your cabins are #1-3. Please make it clear in your next posts where you're going to spend your trip. You pretty much have the run of the common areas of the airship, within reason. Basically, the common areas and the bridge.

Smoker Nix
 player, 485 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Mon 9 Sep 2013
at 10:25
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker tags along to the Bridge to watch the launch operations.
The Marshall
 GM, 1570 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 9 Sep 2013
at 11:34
Re: What Goes Up...

Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 25 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Mon 9 Sep 2013
at 11:38
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 27):

The VIP cabins had double bunk beds for Simon and his bodyguards. In this case, there were 11 (Simon, Fred, Denis, Winnie, Trejo, Jason, Peter, Jane, Smoker, Rowan, Walker).

Fred said to Shay, "we have a spare bunk, it seems. I checked with Captain Phelps. He's fine if you would like to stay in the VIP cabins instead of hot bunking downstairs in the crew quarters."
Simon
 NPC, 16 posts
 Head Templar
Mon 9 Sep 2013
at 11:39
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 27):

"Fred and I, plus Winnie and Denis can bunk in the centre cabin, #2.

"Trejo, you may work out a watch schedule."
Denis Carlton
 NPC, 1 post
 Experienced Templar
 Broadsword
Mon 9 Sep 2013
at 11:41
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Simon (msg # 31):

Nodding, Denis moved his gear from the technical to the VIP room upstairs.

It wasn't much by prewar standards, but the beds (even if bunkbeds) were soft and comfortable and the rooms were well-appointed with brass and mahogany. All the furniture and the wallpaper had the "winged H" from the "Hellstromme" logo worked into it.
Winnie Franklin
 NPC, 1 post
 Veteran Templar
 Katana
Mon 9 Sep 2013
at 11:42
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Simon (msg # 31):

"You got it, boss."

Winnie did the same, with her single bag.
Trejo
 player, 153 posts
 Veteran Templar
 ex-Federale
Mon 9 Sep 2013
at 11:50
Re: What Goes Up...
Trejo gave Simon a respectful nod.  He turned to the others.  "The captain said 7 hours but call it close to 8.  2 hour shifts; give others time to nap or enjoy te ride.  One Templar up per shift," he said givng his fellow Templars a look.  He isn't care what the order was.  "I want at least one other person up per shift as well," he added, addressing the rest of the posse.  "Up to you all the order."  He doubted they wanted to be ordered as to specifics so they could wrk it out.  As long as it got done, he could care less.


((On tablet so can't color text))
The Marshall
 GM, 1572 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 9 Sep 2013
at 12:02
Re: What Goes Up...
As a gesture of trust and good faith, the Posse and Templar escort were not disarmed.

The Sky Pirate officers wore sidearms but the regular crew went about unarmed. (Not much need for small arms in the air!) Whatever small arms Shay decided to turn over would have been put in the Small Arms locker behind the bridge.
Walker
 player, 19 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Mon 9 Sep 2013
at 12:23
Re: What Goes Up...
Walker spends his time with the Gear and Truck, mostly sleeping in the back. Or cleaning and maintaining his equipment.

He occassionally heads for food or a wander.
Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 22 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Tue 10 Sep 2013
at 00:14
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay nodded, and said her thanks to the men.  She stayed near Fred and Simone.
Denis Carlton
 NPC, 2 posts
 Experienced Templar
 Broadsword
Tue 10 Sep 2013
at 06:24
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Shay Mordred-Spades (msg # 37):

The handsome young Templar, Denis, said, "I'll take first trick.

"Anyone want to stand watch with me? I'll be standing outside in the corridor, you can be inside. Nice comfy chairs, there."

Winnie Franklin
 NPC, 2 posts
 Veteran Templar
 Katana
Tue 10 Sep 2013
at 06:25
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Denis Carlton (msg # 38):

Denis' slightly older and harder-looking companion added, "I'll go last. Who wants second and third? And who'll stand watch with me?"
Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 23 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Tue 10 Sep 2013
at 07:12
Re: What Goes Up...
"I'll take second." Shay didn't ask if anyone would accompany her.  It was clear they were all used to working together, she didn't expect anyone would pair up with her.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 940 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 10 Sep 2013
at 09:21
Re: What Goes Up...
Winnie Franklin:
In reply to Denis Carlton (msg # 38):

Denis' slightly older and harder-looking companion added, "I'll go last. Who wants second and third? And who'll stand watch with me?"

"Who would like me along side them on guard" Rowan asks
Trejo
 player, 154 posts
 Veteran Templar
 ex-Federale
Tue 10 Sep 2013
at 12:10
Re: What Goes Up...
Trejo nods as people spoke.  "Ok, I'll take third.  Denis, then Jason, then myself, then Winnie.  Looks like Shay is on with Jason," he said, looking around the posses.  "Whoever you're comfortable with.  Denis, Winnie and me need a partner.  More are welcome.  And those who aren't on get some more rest," he says with a shrug.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 941 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 10 Sep 2013
at 12:20
Re: What Goes Up...
Trejo:
Trejo nods as people spoke.  "Ok, I'll take third.  Denis, then Jason, then myself, then Winnie.  Looks like Shay is on with Jason," he said, looking around the posses.  "Whoever you're comfortable with.  Denis, Winnie and me need a partner.  More are welcome.  And those who aren't on get some more rest," he says with a shrug.

 Rowan "with respect Trejo, you know me they do not. Looks like you get Myself and trickster as guard companions""
Trejo
 player, 155 posts
 Veteran Templar
 ex-Federale
Tue 10 Sep 2013
at 13:56
Re: What Goes Up...
Trejo flashed an ugly smile (given his appearance, all smiles regardless of intent, came out that way).  "Oh, I do.  But I said whoever you were comfortable with, if you wanted a stint.  To give you an out if you preferred.  But I'll be glad to sit with you and your furry partner.  Guessing watch while on an air ship is a might easier than on the ground," he chuckled.  After all, it wasn't like there were monsters, mutants and killers hiding in the dark.  Unless they could fly.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:41, Wed 11 Sept 2013.

Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 26 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Wed 11 Sep 2013
at 03:39
Re: What Goes Up...
"That reminds you, I haven't introduced my friend.

"Everyone, this is Shay. She's an old friend of mine, met her when I was documenting survivalist communities up in Montana. Nasty people... I helped her emigrate, so to speak. You can trust her. She'll be part of Simon's bodyguards until we make it to Junkyard. And after, if she likes.

"Shay, this is, Rowan (red-haired woman in cloak with Paramedic's bag over one shoulder, AK on back and Japanese short sword on belt, with tame coyote), Trejo (scary long-haried Mexican dude with droopy moustache, lots of knives), Peter (Native, pickup truck-owner, well-equipped in military body armour), Jane (blonde with USAF fatigues and beret in Kevlar, truck MG gunner), Jason (long duster, Stetson) and Smoker (darkhaired, young and bearded, raggedly-lookin', old FAL rifle).

"You all may not know Walker, he came aboard in the last town, Near Ontario.

"Simon you know. His 2 main bodyguards not of the Posse are Denis and Winnie."


Walker was the long and fairhaired young man, armed with a Northern M22 assault rifle and with a longsword on his back. He had gone down to the truck. In fact, it wasn't all that surprising to see people armed with swords as ammunition became more scarce over time. Seeings how this Posse was escorting the Grand Master of the Templars, Simon, it wasn't that surprising that they were carrying around more steel than most, as he would probably have several Templars as bodyguards.

In the Wasted West, communities, sometimes called "colonies", that were rebuilt near or on the outskirts of the ruins of the older community were commonly called "Near X". Communities built right in the ruins themselves were often called "New X".

This message was last edited by the player at 03:40, Wed 11 Sept 2013.

Denis Carlton
 NPC, 3 posts
 Experienced Templar
 Broadsword
Wed 11 Sep 2013
at 03:42
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Fred Biletnikoff (msg # 45):

The young man, Denis, took Shay's hand. If allowed, he kissed it.

"Milady, I am Sir Denis. it is my honour and pleasure to make your acquaintance."

No one had come out and admitted these were Templars (that's just how they were) but it was pretty obvious this was one. Like some of the younger Templars, he idolised and imitated the chivalrous knights of old, when he could.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:45, Wed 11 Sept 2013.

Winnie Franklin
 NPC, 3 posts
 Veteran Templar
 Katana
Wed 11 Sep 2013
at 03:44
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Denis Carlton (msg # 46):

The woman (also obviously a Templar) with the Katana on her belt rolled her eyes and smiled at Denis' manners.

"Lord sakes, you got a way with words. I'm Winnie."

She offered her hand to shake.
Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 24 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Wed 11 Sep 2013
at 06:00
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay screwed her face up when Denis took her hand to kiss it.  She grabbed it back like he had burned her.

When Winnie came to introduce herself, Shay didn't shake but nodded in respect.  "Sorry I don't..." she looked to Winnie's hand "it's a...thing."
Winnie Franklin
 NPC, 4 posts
 Veteran Templar
 Katana
Wed 11 Sep 2013
at 07:32
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Shay Mordred-Spades (msg # 48):

Winnie looked sympathetic.

"It's all right, Shay. Hear that, Denis? Not all women want to be manhandled by some Knights of the Round Table wannabe!

"You okay to shake hands, sister?"

Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 25 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Wed 11 Sep 2013
at 23:29
Re: What Goes Up...
Again Shay looked to Winnie. "I don't.....touch people."  She said through her velvet mask.
Winnie Franklin
 NPC, 5 posts
 Veteran Templar
 Katana
Thu 12 Sep 2013
at 05:44
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Shay Mordred-Spades (msg # 50):

Realising that her question had already been answered, Winnie replied, sadly, "ah, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I wasn't paying attention. I'm just a little distracted.

"OK, moving along. Some folks haven't thrown in their names yet. Taking the liberty to do so myself, the schedule I have looks like this:

"Denis and Walker.

"Jason and Shay.

"Trejo and Rowan.

"Jane and I.

"Sounds good?"

This message was last edited by the player at 05:48, Thu 12 Sept 2013.

Trickster
 NPC, 29 posts
Thu 12 Sep 2013
at 05:47
Re: What Goes Up...
Being a part-feral coyote, Trickster had made himself scarce during the bustle of takeoff. He was currently hiding under Peter's technical.
Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 26 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Thu 12 Sep 2013
at 05:53
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay shrugged, she'd do her part, with a partner or not.  She nodded that the assignment was good by her.
The Marshall
 GM, 1573 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 12 Sep 2013
at 06:09
Re: What Goes Up...
With an arrangement as good as any other, the Posse settled in for the trip.

Marshall's Note: Please note where you are located for the trip, either on watch or off. It's fine to list different locations, I can decide where you are if needed (the most inconvenient spot, of course!) or roll a die. Weapons and armour would help, as well.
Denis Carlton
 NPC, 4 posts
 Experienced Templar
 Broadsword
Thu 12 Sep 2013
at 06:16
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 54):

First off, Denis went to find Walker.

"You and I have first guard duty for 2 hours until 0200. I'll stay outside in the corridor. You may choose your location, either inside the room, outside in the corridor with me or maybe just down the corridor at the passage to the stairs down to the flight deck."

The rest of the trip, he intended on sleeping in VIP room #2 (with Simon and Fred) or hanging out in the upstairs Dining Room/Lounge. Denis obviously made a conscious effort to look like a Lancelot or Sir Galahad, his blonde hair was tied neatly back and he was clean shaven. Under his cloak he wore a Kevlar vest, sword belted at his side, NA M22 assault rifle over his shoulder.
Smoker Nix
 player, 486 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 12 Sep 2013
at 11:24
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker is on the bridge, watching what is going on... although if given a chance he'd like to go see the engines!
Rowan Dawson
 player, 942 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Thu 12 Sep 2013
at 11:39
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Trickster (msg # 52):

Rowan will pick a bed for her self as close to where she is helping guard Simon.

She then goes and gets trickster and shows him where he can hide under the blankets.
Makes sure he has some thing to eat and drink, you can either be with me or stay here she tells him
Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 27 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Thu 12 Sep 2013
at 17:32
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay lay down in the room offered to her, and caught some shut eye.  She kept a blade under the pillow, with her hand close by.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 341 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 12 Sep 2013
at 17:44
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter hadn't volunteered for guard duty and wasn't paired up with anyone so he shrugged and smiled. He was a transporter more than a bodyguard anyway but he'd do his fair share of watching.

"It's dangerous to shoot firearms inside of this aircraft I assume, yes?" He frowned and looked at the machete and his fists. "I am not as skilled with...close combat, so I am not sure how much use I will be. But I will wander and keep my eyes open."
Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 27 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Thu 12 Sep 2013
at 21:02
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter Firecrow:
Peter hadn't volunteered for guard duty and wasn't paired up with anyone so he shrugged and smiled. He was a transporter more than a bodyguard anyway but he'd do his fair share of watching.

"It's dangerous to shoot firearms inside of this aircraft I assume, yes?" He frowned and looked at the machete and his fists. "I am not as skilled with...close combat, so I am not sure how much use I will be. But I will wander and keep my eyes open."


Fred chuckled, then thought a little.

"Of all people, you should be safest with your auto-shotgun.

"This isn't the Hindenburg filled with hydrogen. The lift cells are filled with vacuum, literally nothing, and are self-sealing. The bridge and control areas are relatively well protected.

"Just no explosives or weapons that can start fires, I think!"

Walker
 player, 20 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Thu 12 Sep 2013
at 22:59
Re: What Goes Up...
Walker is with the truck and the Teams Gear.

He has his Tactical Radio on him and has gotten hold of the Ships Radio Frequencies quietly somehow?

He's keeping to himself for now.
Trejo
 player, 156 posts
 Veteran Templar
 ex-Federale
Fri 13 Sep 2013
at 03:17
Re: What Goes Up...
Trejo will wander to the (what should be) blessed coffee occasionally.  It wasn't like he was going to get much of an opportunity to drink it after this.  Too much of an indulgence anyway.

Beyond that, he'll find a bunk and crash out.  On his turn at watch, he'll be sitting with Rowan, talking perhaps and doing periodic 'patrols'.



((apologies for bleh/no talking post.  on crap computer as lost both router and ethernet card on main comp tonight.  wanted to post though so didn't have to wait on me))

This message was last edited by the player at 03:21, Fri 13 Sept 2013.

The Marshall
 GM, 1574 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Fri 13 Sep 2013
at 06:59
Re: What Goes Up...
While the Posse was getting itself sorted out, Smoker went forward to watch the launch of the CAP ultralight. Captain Phelps welcomed him to the bridge.

Smoker noticed there was a floor hatch to Flight Operations below them on the flight deck. As well, a roof hatch into the lift bag superstructure. He recalled there was a similar hatch in the aft maintenance bay.

There was a roar from below as the ready CAP started their engines. Unlike the dirigible's almost-silent electrical motors, the ultra lightplanes used internal combustion motors powere by Spook Juice. They turned into the wind and the forward hatch was opened. Anyone downstairs on the hangar deck was assaulted by a strong chilly wind that howled down the open middle of the deck. Trickster cowered under the technical.

Everyone could feel the airship's gondola shudder as the electromag catapult launched first one, then another aircraft into the cold high-altitude night air. Smoker could see them flung out into the dark night sky from directly beneath the bridge. The combination of 60 mph head wind and catapult meant they already exceeded stall speed when launched, so had no trouble pulling away, soon to be lost from view against the dark snow-covered mountainsides.
Denis Carlton
 NPC, 5 posts
 Experienced Templar
 Broadsword
Fri 13 Sep 2013
at 07:12
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Walker (msg # 61):

Down in the hangar bay, Denis hung on to the technical as the freezing mountain air was blasted inside as the front hatch was opened to launch the CAP ultralights. His pony tail shipped around until the wind died as the hatch was closed. Hot air blowers started up, struggling to bring the temperature back up.

"Jesus! Gets cold at night. We're in the mountains, I shouldn't be very surprised.

"Walker, are you staying down here? We got fist watch. I'll be in the corridor outside Simon's room."

Walker
 player, 21 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Fri 13 Sep 2013
at 12:40
Re: What Goes Up...
Walker is tucked into his Jacket, having watched the launch.

"Yup. Someone stays with the Gear. Looks like its me. All good though."
Denis Carlton
 NPC, 6 posts
 Experienced Templar
 Broadsword
Sat 14 Sep 2013
at 03:08
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Walker (msg # 65):

"Fine. Our main job here is to protect Simon. I guess it'll be good enough if I can contact you via radio. That way if there's an attack on Simon, you come running upstairs."

He let Walker know the comm codes for the Posse's channel and the airship channel. He also made sure the truck CB was set to pick up the Sky Raider channel, then went around to all Posse members and made sure they were all set as well.

Marshall's Note: To my recollection, pretty much everyone has a radio of some kind! Peter (IBS helmet and truck CB), Smoker (civilian walkie talkie), Jane and Trejo (captured Combine headsets), Jason (civilian headset), Rowan (hand radio) and Walker (Military headset). All have been set with 1 primary and 2 backup channels for both the Posse (A, C, D) and the airship (B, E, F).
Peter Firecrow
 player, 342 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Sat 14 Sep 2013
at 04:13
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter looked relieved at the Librarian's explanation. He had no idea what the airship ran on or was made of. The only ones he knew about before the war were from the old movies and books. He nodded. "Good then. Thank you."

He went and watched the CAP launch along with Smoker, looking excited at watching it happen. Airships and aircraft and flying! It was very fun for him!

He went back down to the technical and saw the new guy there, Walker. Peter was a little suspicious. "Why are you hanging around the truck when you could be sleeping in a real bed? I mean, it is a bunk bed but still."
Walker
 NPC, 22 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Sat 14 Sep 2013
at 07:32
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter Firecrow:
He went back down to the technical and saw the new guy there, Walker. Peter was a little suspicious. "Why are you hanging around the truck when you could be sleeping in a real bed? I mean, it is a bunk bed but still."


Walker yawned and looked up at, Peter. "I dunno. Lots of nice gear here. I figger it's best someone makes sure no one walks off with any of it."

This message was last updated by the player at 13:33, Sat 14 Sept 2013.

Peter Firecrow
 player, 343 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Sat 14 Sep 2013
at 15:17
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter gave a slow nod. "I was thinking the same thing." He then begins checking over the truck from top to bottom since he had free time. He opened the hood and started tinkering under there.
Jane Guin
 player, 381 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sun 15 Sep 2013
at 16:24
Re: What Goes Up...
Jane smiled behind Peter's back when she saw how excited he was to be on the air ship.  She had to admit that she was getting more excited being up in the air again.  It still felt strange since she wasn't piloting it but it had been awhile since she could breath the air and see clouds up close again.

She watched Peter start to tinker for awhile before interrupting him.  "I'm going to stroll around for a bit Peter. I know you two can cover our equipment well enough that you don't need me here right now.."

Jane leaned in next to Peter and whispered into his ear, knowing that he wouldn't probably appreciate the too open gesture of affection in front of the new guy, "Of course it would be nicer if you accompanied me but I know better than to ask you to leave the Technical after you got the hood up."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 344 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Mon 16 Sep 2013
at 05:39
Re: What Goes Up...
Covered as they were by the open hood of the truck, Peter turned and gave Jane a quick kiss. "I admit that it is also a bit of....well, I do not know that I would call it paranoia, but this new person is staying near the truck and it is making me just a little nervous. Silly, I know."

He gave a her a small smile that quickly disappeared. "Go on, have your stroll. I shall be here when you return."
Walker
 NPC, 23 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Mon 16 Sep 2013
at 05:53
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 71):

The new guy, Walker, was in the rear bed of the truck. Observing the truck owner, Peter, and his presumed girlfriend, Jane, interacting, he thought they deserved a little privacy. Downtime in a safe place where no one was shooting at you was such a rare things these days. He waved Peter over.

"Hey man, you want me to split for a while? Or I can watch your stuff if you want to take a little walk."
Jane Guin
 player, 382 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Mon 16 Sep 2013
at 13:33
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Walker (msg # 72):

Jane nodded to Peter and returned his kiss just as quickly.  These stolen moments were to be treasured.

She whispered "I understand.  You be careful." to Peter before stepping back to look at Walker.  "Thanks but it's ok.  The hoods up and that means he'll soon be lost in mechanical stuff.  I wouldn't want to draw him away from that."

Jane grinned and turned around to start her walk.  As she walked past Peter she reached out and slapped his butt, knowing that it would get some kind of reaction out of him.  She chuckled and briefly looked over her shoulder as she left the area.
Walker
 NPC, 24 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Tue 17 Sep 2013
at 06:27
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 73):

"Right. No problemo." He lay down in the bed and appeared to go to sleep as Peter worked on the truck.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 345 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 17 Sep 2013
at 14:06
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter's smile quickly turned into a mock-glare at the ass-slapping as he watched Jane walk away. After a moment, he turned back to the truck's innards once again.
The Marshall
 GM, 1579 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Fri 20 Sep 2013
at 07:46
Re: What Goes Up...
The Airship droned on for the next couple hours. The CAP aircraft changed every hour, planes "landing" matched speed at the rear of the hangar bay, and the maghook was deployed to reel them in. Fresh CAP ultralights were launched out the front, and when the forward hatch was raised to do this another gust of cold air blasted through the bay.

Jason and Shay, the mysterious-looking woman, took their turn at guard duty. Denis and Walker went off-shift, although what kind of watch Walker hoped to perform down in the hangar bay was anyone's guess. Still, all seemed quiet enough.

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:38, Sun 29 Sept 2013.

Trejo
 player, 158 posts
 Veteran Templar
 ex-Federale
Sat 21 Sep 2013
at 23:43
Re: What Goes Up...
Trejo sat in his chair, dozing lightly.  He didn't sleep long or deeply, just bits and pieces here.  The airship was too new, too strange for him to get a good sleep.  He'd have to settle for catnaps and such.  He'd wake, look around briefly and close his eyes.  It'd do for now.  But it wasn't his shift so he was getting what rest he could.
Walker
 NPC, 25 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Sun 22 Sep 2013
at 00:06
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Trejo (msg # 77):

Yawning, Walker gets up and goes for a walk. He visited the head, then checked in on the bridge where Smoker was spending his time. He then went back to the assigned VIP cabins to get some sleep.
Shay Mordred-Spades
 NPC, 29 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Sun 22 Sep 2013
at 00:12
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Walker (msg # 78):

On guard with Jason in the corridor outside Simon's cabin, Shay nodded to Walker as he passed by. It was hard for her to relate to and trust other people. Being afraid to touch others and wearing a mask made that a difficult proposition. Maybe those were things she could work on, she reflected.

Shay took out her deck and passed the time shuffling cards, back and forth, 1-handed (while standing). The casino was a long time ago, but the feel of the cards in her hands calmed her down.
Jane Guin
 player, 383 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sun 22 Sep 2013
at 15:20
Re: What Goes Up...
When she's not sleepying or checking in with Peter, Jane will make her way up to the bridge and ask to see if she could look around up there and see how they flew this contraption and how it differed from what she had flown before.
The Marshall
 GM, 1580 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 23 Sep 2013
at 06:23
Re: What Goes Up...
On the darkened bridge was Captain Phelps, a pilot, with a copilot, sensor operator, navigator and duty engineer. It was more crew than a large aircraft, more like a small navy ship. There were functioning computer monitors and screens, plus crash couches with 5-point harnesses, all looking scavenged and used.

Smoker was there, in one of the padded bridge chairs. The sensors operator was bent over a radar/multifunction display which mapped the terrain and tracked the CAP flights. This data was transmitted to the pilot's HUD. The copilot was also wearing light-intensifier goggles as a backup for the HUD. She was looking around, visually checking the sky.
The Marshall
 GM, 1581 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 07:43
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 81):

Outside, the moon had gone down but there were stars in the sky. The red-lit bridge didn't disturb the night vision of the crews and observers. Snow-covered mountainsides and dark forests flitted by as the dirigible used terrain-following flight to keep below the radar horizon.

It could have been nothing, but Smoker caught something from the corner of his eye as he looked out the port side window. It was just a shadow briefly flitting across a distant snowfield, at about 9 o'clock. Maybe ten-fifteen miles distant?
Smoker Nix
 player, 488 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 09:14
Re: What Goes Up...
"What's that over there?" asked Smoker, pointing.

"A shadow, something moving across that snowfield, about 9 o'clock, ten miles or more out..."
Jane Guin
 player, 385 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 24 Sep 2013
at 12:30
Re: What Goes Up...
Jane, who had been looking in the opposite direction, turned to the direction that Smoker indicated and peered out.  She was hoping it was nothing but then out here, or up here, nothing never happened.
Captain Phelps
Wed 25 Sep 2013
at 07:40
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker Nix:
"What's that over there?" asked Smoker, pointing.

"A shadow, something moving across that snowfield, about 9 o'clock, ten miles or more out..."


Phelps looked up at the warning. "Damn, let me see." Borrowing the NVGs, he began scanning to the left. "Shit! Five Combine Raptors! They're almost on top of us! They must be jamming our radar."

Jane knew that Raptors were Throckmorton's flying Hunter-Killer drones, fairly heavily armed (with a pair each of 20mm autocannons and Sidewinder missiles mounted on stub wings) and decently armoured, but scarcely a flying tank. They were enough to take on Resistance groups on the ground or the typical Sky Pirate ultralight aircraft. Raptors usually carried a 5-member unit of Automatons in a rear bay, when not carrying ten elite Red Hats. Automatons were creepy silver armoured skeletons armed with 12mm chain-guns.

Phelps looked at Smoker and Jane. "You better get with Simon, if they board I'll try and let you know." The VIP cabins were down the corridor just aft of the bridge, this is where Simon was located.
The Marshall
 GM, 1582 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 25 Sep 2013
at 07:43
Re: What Goes Up...
Over the loudspeaker:

"ATTENTION! THIS IS THE CAPTAIN SPEAKING. RED ALERT, SAY AGAIN, RED ALERT. FIVE RAPTORS ARE IN-BOUND FROM THE EAST. ALL AIRCRAFT LAUNCH IMMEDIATELY. SECURITY TEAM REPORT TO THE SMALL ARMS LOCKER."

An alarm klaxon started sounding through the airship. The corridors filled with flight and deck crew heading for the "fireman's pole" in the middle of the spiral stairs to quickly slid down to the hangar deck. Outside, the SKy Raider's 20mm guns started hammering away. The 2 ultralights on CAP dove into the middle of the precise flight of Raptors, trying to break up the attack formation before it got closer. Tracers filled the skies, as well as the Ultra-Lights' unguided air-to-air rockets. Then explosions blossomed in the darkness as hit were scored but it was impossible to say who was being shot down.

The gondola's front clamshell doors opened, admitting a gust of freezing air. The ready ultra-lights began to take off into the blackness. Security personnel in blue camouflage, black vests and blue berets were stationed just outside the bridge.
Trejo
 player, 159 posts
 Veteran Templar
 ex-Federale
Wed 25 Sep 2013
at 12:03
Re: What Goes Up...
Trejo rolled from his buck to his feet before he was even awake, the comforting weight of his machete in his hand.  Not he actually needed it at the moment he realized as the message came over the speakers.  What was he going to do?  Hang on the outside of the and swing at the planes with his sword?  Tempting....

With a grunt, he sheathed the blade and grabbed his armored coat.  Throwing it on and grabbing the rest of he gear, he exited his little cabin and headed towards Simon's.  He wasn't likely to be able to do much just yet, but he wanted to be prepared.  Probably should have known that bastard would have found them.  Simon was too big a target for Throckmorton to ignore.

The only question was...  How did he know where to find the posse and the head Templar?
Peter Firecrow
 player, 346 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 25 Sep 2013
at 14:05
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter sat up from inside the cab of the technical and smacked his head. He let out a string of curses, thankfully it was drowned out by the loudspeaker and alarm klaxons going off. What the hell was a red alert? It didn't sound good, that was for sure.

He grabbed up his weapons and got out of the truck. He stared at the truck and the machinegun lying in the bed for a moment. He hesitated, thinking if they were getting attacked it might be good to have the machinegun mounted. Then he shrugged it off, knowing that would only help if someone specifically attacked this hangar bay.

He made his way back towards Simon's quarters.
Jane Guin
 player, 386 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Thu 26 Sep 2013
at 01:52
Re: What Goes Up...
Jane let out a string of curses that she had developed over the years and made a beeline for Simon's, grabbing up her weapon (if she wasn't allowed to take it with her before).

She knew it.  It was never dull. Even when it was dull it wasn't dull because they would think it was a trap.  Such was her life.
Smoker Nix
 player, 489 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 26 Sep 2013
at 08:16
Re: What Goes Up...
"Right," said Smoker and scampered back to the accommodations without delay.
Jason Sinclair
 player, 223 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Sat 28 Sep 2013
at 10:56
Re: What Goes Up...
Outside the VIP rooms, Jason came up, P90 slung.

"Not much we can do at the moment.

"We have a plan, here? I guess we can defend the hallway.

"Maybe put a couple people inside Simon's room."

Winnie Franklin
 NPC, 6 posts
 Veteran Templar
 Katana
Sat 28 Sep 2013
at 10:57
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Jason Sinclair (msg # 91):

Winnie nodded.

"All right. Denis, you and me, we'll stay with Simon and Fred inside the room."
Denis Carlton
 NPC, 7 posts
 Experienced Templar
 Broadsword
Sat 28 Sep 2013
at 10:58
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Winnie Franklin (msg # 92):

"Yes! Let's do this!"
Walker
 NPC, 26 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Sat 28 Sep 2013
at 11:02
Re: What Goes Up...
Grabbing his assault rifle, Walker followed Peter upstairs.
Shay Mordred-Spades
 NPC, 30 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Sat 28 Sep 2013
at 11:03
Re: What Goes Up...
Already having been in the hallway, Mordred merely waited as the others gathered around her. She didn't say anything.
Smoker Nix
 player, 491 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 28 Sep 2013
at 12:06
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker arrived.

"What do you want me to do?"
The Marshall
 GM, 1585 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 29 Sep 2013
at 10:35
Re: What Goes Up...
As everyone got organised, the ship's point defence 20mm autocannons began pounding away. Explosions sounded, outside the ship. Thankfully they didn't seem to be taking direct fire, yet.

But their luck didn't hold out. The gondola shook from several nearby explosions. The lights flickered, then emergency power came back on. They could still see but it was difficult.

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:39, Sun 29 Sept 2013.

Jason Sinclair
 player, 224 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Sun 29 Sep 2013
at 10:41
Re: What Goes Up...
Listening to the ship channel, Jason said, "The engines got taken out! We're dead in the water. Or air. The Ultralights are trying to hold off the Raptors... they got one! It was coming in like it was going to try and dock at the rear.

"Shit... there's another one coming in from the rear, and the gun there is out. If no one can stop it, it could fire right into the bay or let off boarders on the landing pad. Another looks like it's trying to land on top of the lift envelope!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:46, Sun 29 Sept 2013.

Smoker Nix
 player, 492 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sun 29 Sep 2013
at 14:18
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker looked round, a little wildly.

"Think I saw an access up to the top... maybe a few of us could go up and shoot at anyone trying to get in that way."
Trejo
 player, 160 posts
 Veteran Templar
 ex-Federale
Tue 1 Oct 2013
at 00:26
Re: What Goes Up...
Trejo frowned and grabbed a rail as the vehicle shook and the lights dimmed to emergency levels.  This was definitely not his kind of fight.  At least until the bastards tried boarding.  "Jane, Peter; if you want to get to yer truck, now's the time.  If nothing else, that big gun o' yours is likely to be mighty handy."  He looks to the others now that Denis and Winnie are taking close guard of Simon.  "Anyone else want to help the pirates out with the gunner thing, get your guns.  Work in pairs though.  Stick with someone who's got a radio if nothing else.  Walker, Smoker, think you guys can help with damage control?," he said curiously.  This whole thing was out of his league; he figured they know where they could help best.  "But remember, if one of us calls, haul ass back here.  Simon's the prize they're after I bet."
Jane Guin
 player, 389 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 1 Oct 2013
at 01:06
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter!  I'm going to mount up Baby!

Jane ran to the technical and started to reattach her favorite weapon.  If they were going to come in the hatch then she'd be ready to meet them.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 349 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 1 Oct 2013
at 02:10
Re: What Goes Up...
OOC: Heh. Forgot to post after the GM's answer and Jane beat me to it! =)

Peter was already on his way. He was running towards the hangar bay, having the same thought. "Great minds...think alike..." He skidded to a stop and hopped up into the back of the truck to help Jane out.
Smoker Nix
 player, 493 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 1 Oct 2013
at 07:24
Re: What Goes Up...
"Damage control? Sure... better at that than brawling, to be honest," said Smoker, and trundled off to volunteer his services.
The Marshall
 GM, 1587 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 1 Oct 2013
at 07:49
Re: What Goes Up...
When the word came that a Raptor was trying to land forces on the lift envelope, the security personnel by the bridge split up. Half went to the bridge, presumably to access the roof hatch there.

Another element headed down the hall to the rear maintenance area, trying for the hatch there. As they passed, an NCO said as the Posse was heading downstairs, "good idea! We'll hold 'em up here if we can, you hold 'em off down in the hangar bay!"

They arrived downstairs in time to see a large metallic aircraft lining up on the exit that was cut into the rear of the gondola. It was about 100 yards out, and Jane and Trejo could see it had been modified with some kind of hatch in nose (normally, troops would disembark via a rear ramp). Twin 20mm autocannons mounted in ball turrets on the stub wings began thumping, spraying the mostly-empty hangar with exploding shells...

Marshall's Note: There are no more aircraft in the bay, they have all taken off. Luckily, the technical is behind a jeep. Still, better take cover! The jeep gives it some protection but probably blocks the line of fire somewhat, at least up close.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:08, Wed 02 Oct 2013.

Jane Guin
 player, 390 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 1 Oct 2013
at 16:45
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 104):

"God dammit!  It's getting to be a person can't do their job these days!"  Jane complains as she tries to get baby fastened on properly so that she could shoot back at these inhospitable pains in the ass, of course ducking any bullets that are coming her way in the meantime.

Once baby is ready, Jane will try and "welcome" the intruders.
The Marshall
 GM, 1588 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 2 Oct 2013
at 11:41
Re: What Goes Up...
Jane managed to get Baby set up on the post mount as the attacking Raptor lined up to make it's entry. It was close, less than 20 yards away, still firing the M120 chainguns into the bay. Explosions from the 20mm shells punched holes in the walls and destroyed equipment. The jeep parked in front of the technical took some hits.

Marshall's Note: Everyone must specify where they are in the landing bay. There is a map in the reference files. (The sky raider aircraft are not present.) The Raptor may open fire again as it comes in, so save an action to Dodge and remember to use cover!

Roll for initiative.

Peter Firecrow
 player, 350 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 2 Oct 2013
at 15:03
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter is going to be in the truck bed, courched down to one side of the big gun so he can help Jane as needed and have his weapons all handy.
Jane Guin
 player, 392 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 2 Oct 2013
at 16:37
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 107):

Jane is obviously behind baby and ready to shoot.  She trusts Peter to take shots at those who are trying to shoot at them and keep any borders off of her so that she can do her thing.
Trejo
 player, 162 posts
 Veteran Templar
 ex-Federale
Wed 2 Oct 2013
at 17:09
Re: What Goes Up...
Trejo went after the the others.  There wasn't much he could do until they got close.  He doubted his pistol would even scratch the paint of that bastard.  He ran down the stairs and threw himself into cover against the thick wall of the armory.  He'd be staying in cover until he could use his handgun or get out his blades.

OOC: taking cover on the outer wall of the armory, west side.
Jason Sinclair
 player, 225 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Thu 3 Oct 2013
at 05:23
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Trejo (msg # 109):

Following Trejo down to the armoury, Jason looked aroud. It was secure there, but if a wild shot penetrated it would be very uncomfortable.

"Trejo! They're coming in the rear entry, we can't see that area too well from here.

"Let's work our way back, get into the storage room, closer to the aft entry. There's cover there and we can take out anyone trying to make their way up that flank through storage, at close range."


He pulled back the P90's charging handle, cocking the weapon.
Shay Mordred-Spades
 NPC, 31 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Thu 3 Oct 2013
at 05:24
Re: What Goes Up...
In the passage outside Simon's cabin, Shay looked at Rowan.

"You and your coyote wanna stay here? I'll stick with you."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 949 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Thu 3 Oct 2013
at 05:27
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay Mordred-Spades:
In the passage outside Simon's cabin, Shay looked at Rowan.

"You and your coyote wanna stay here? I'll stick with you."

 Rowan "thank you, Trickster would not be happy down there in all the noise come to that he aint happy up here full stop"
Walker
 NPC, 27 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Thu 3 Oct 2013
at 05:39
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker Nix:
"Damage control? Sure... better at that than brawling, to be honest," said Smoker, and trundled off to volunteer his services.


"Damage control? Don't know what good I'm going to do there. Sure, let's see what we can do to help. Let's head back to the maintenance bay on this level."

He readied his SA M10 assault rifle, started heading to there rear maintenance compartment.
Smoker Nix
 player, 494 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 3 Oct 2013
at 08:54
Re: What Goes Up...
"Right," said Smoker, who was looking a bit nervous.
The Marshall
 GM, 1593 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 5 Oct 2013
at 10:09
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker and Walker reached the upstairs maintenance workshop as the Raptor was coming in to dock a the rear maintenance hatch. Inside the workshop were four mechanics, wearing Kevlar vests wielding M22 assault rifles. They looked very nervous, this was very much not their element! The mechanics were shutting down the elevation and locking the hatch over the stairs down to the hangar bay to prevent any Combine Red Hats or Automatons who landed from coming up.

Just inside the door was a hatch up into the lift envelope. The last of the security personnel who came in this direction was just climbing up. At the rear of the workshop was the bubble housing the skycrane control cockpit. The Skycrane would have once lifted massive pieces of building materials to construct the dome that now covered Junktown, but now it was used to catch aircraft coming in for a landing, lowering them gently into the rear landing area of the hangar bay.

Through the bubble canopy of the skycrane cockpit they could see a Combine Raptor, silver and menacing, already under the lift bag of the Sky Raider, starting to nose it's way into the rear entrance to the landing bay. It started firing into the bay and the rear of the gondola. The cockpit window blew inwards, showering them with safety glass. The techs hit the deck!

Also visible was a twin 20mm autocannon in a remote turret hanging down from the lift bag, one of the dirigible's point-defence guns. It was automated and because the Raptor was jamming it, it couldn't get a lock and fire at the approaching intruder, instead it just kept tracking helplessly back and forth.
Smoker Nix
 player, 495 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 5 Oct 2013
at 12:37
Re: What Goes Up...
"Is there any way of swinging the skycrane hook, catch that Combine craft a clip with it?" asked Smoker, taking in the situation and trying to get creative with it.
Lead mechanic
Sat 5 Oct 2013
at 20:25
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 116):

The lead mechanic poked his head up from where he was taking cover behind the metal lathe.

"Yeah! That sucker's rated for 100 tons! Go for it, chief!"

Marshall's Note: I think we're all at the same point in time now. I will draw cards for initiative and we can go into combat rounds. Huzzah!

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:37, Sat 05 Oct 2013.

Smoker Nix
 player, 496 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sun 6 Oct 2013
at 11:13
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker scrambled for the sky crane controls.
Trickster
 NPC, 30 posts
Tue 8 Oct 2013
at 21:27
Re: What Goes Up...
Seeing the metal monstrosity lining up on the rear bay entry, Trickster decided it was much better to be elsewhere! He scampered up the stairs towards the VIP cabins, looking for Rowan.
Jason Sinclair
 player, 227 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Fri 11 Oct 2013
at 06:39
Re: What Goes Up...
Feeling they could be a little closer to the action, Jason opened the door to Storage. Slipping inside, he cracked the aft door, the one closest to the aft landing platform.

Seeing the Raptor firing into the bay, then getting ready to smash its way inside the entrance, he slammed the door shut. "Shit! That sucker's comin' in hot!"


2 Actions: Nine Card

Move,
Hold Action

Walker
 NPC, 28 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Fri 11 Oct 2013
at 06:42
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Jason Sinclair (msg # 120):

"Good plan! I'll cover you!"

Chambering a round in his rifle, he moved over to the stairwell hatch, ready to fight off anything coming up from below.


2 Actions: Red Joker

Moving, Holding Action.

Smoker Nix
 player, 497 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Fri 11 Oct 2013
at 08:01
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker starts figuring out the controls for the skycrane, then powers it up and lets the hook go.

2 actions - working out how to operate the crane, then starting it up
Trejo
 player, 169 posts
 Veteran Templar
 ex-Federale
Fri 11 Oct 2013
at 11:57
Re: What Goes Up...
Trejo keeps the door open a crack, so he can see by peeking through.  Cover was good but knowing where the bastards are was important too.  He had his pistol and machete ready to go.

Sleaving one card/action. Aiming with other.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:01, Sat 12 Oct 2013.

Peter Firecrow
 player, 353 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Fri 11 Oct 2013
at 15:13
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter crouched down a bit more to gain cover until the Raptor was in sight of his gun but he took aim and waited for the really fecal stuff to hit the whirling blade thing.

3 Actions.
Aiming at the bay doors.
Sleeving 1 card.
Holding 1 action.

Jason Sinclair
 player, 228 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Fri 11 Oct 2013
at 21:37
Re: What Goes Up...
Grabbing his radio, Jason yelled, "Rowan! Get your SAW down here ASAP! There's a Combine Raptor trying to mate with the landing bay and we need all the firepower we can get!"
Shay Mordred-Spades
 NPC, 32 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Fri 11 Oct 2013
at 21:39
Re: What Goes Up...
Hearing Jason's call, Shay opened the VIP room door and grabbed the SAW, plus the 2 ammo cans.

"Here, I got these! Let's just get down there! You go first, meet you in Storage!"
Rowan Dawson
 player, 952 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Fri 11 Oct 2013
at 21:44
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay Mordred-Spades:
Hearing Jason's call, Shay opened the VIP room door and grabbed the SAW, plus the 2 ammo cans.

"Here, I got these! Let's just get down there! You go first, meet you in Storage!"


rowan nods grabs here gear and heads down stairs, taking care not to go out in the open. She is going to have to have a long talk with shay some time
Jane Guin
 player, 396 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Fri 11 Oct 2013
at 23:27
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 127):

Jane was behind baby and got her "game face" on.  She knew that she'd need to plan it right and hopefully be able to dodge some bullets before she got hit.

"Ok baby.  It's show time."


Nine:   Jane (4 Actions)
Fire x 3 actions
Sleeve 1 card

The Marshall
 GM, 1603 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 14 Oct 2013
at 09:48
Re: What Goes Up...
The Raptor lined up on the bay, began moving slowly forward to enter the bay. 20mm autocannons on the stub wings moving back and forth, searching for targets. Jane pulled back the charging handle on the M2HB, and it slammed forward with a satisfying "Ka-clack!" Protected by the gunshield, she felt confident enough to start the show with a bang.

It was like shooting fish in a barrel. Meanwhile, Rowan led the way down the stairs as Shay followed, lugging the M260 SAW with 2x 50-round ammo cans slung over her shoulder.

Up above, Smoker tried to figure out the controls. The Raptor would take another 5-10 seconds at the current rate of approach to be in a position where he could hook onto it using the skycrane, as it needed to be almost in the landing bay.
Walker
 NPC, 29 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Thu 17 Oct 2013
at 03:45
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 129):

Walker ducked down behind the technical (which was partially hidden behind the jeep). His weapon wouldn't hurt the Raptor, better to make sure he didn't buy the farm for no purpose.

Red Joker - 2x Actions.
Move (crouch down)
Jokers cannot be sleeved.

Combine Raptor
Thu 17 Oct 2013
at 07:42
Re: What Goes Up...
The Raptor's right engine sparked at a dozen or more 12.7mm bullets struck it. jane really hosed the nacelle housing the jump engine down. At first, it seemed to have little effect, then the pitch of the rotors in the shrouded fan changed pitch and there was a noticeable grinding.

Still, the Raptor came on. Worse yet, it wasn't done firing. The 20mm autocannons mounted in ball turrets on the tips of the stub wings rotated towards the technical and Jane, as that's where the fire from inside the bay was coming from. When they were pointed in the right direction, they began firing...

GM Note: Peter and Jane are in the line of fire, at leas somewhat. If you use your hole card you can Dive for Cover. Or else just hope your cover is solid enough!
Peter Firecrow
 player, 356 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 17 Oct 2013
at 13:55
Re: What Goes Up...
The smile slid off of his face as he saw the incoming fire start moving towards their location. "Jaaaannnne. You did not do enough damage!"

He hesitated but then dove for cover. "Duck and cover!"

This message was last edited by the player at 04:01, Fri 18 Oct 2013.

Jane Guin
 player, 401 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Thu 17 Oct 2013
at 14:41
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 132):

"Don't blame me!  We need heavier fire power.  Baby is doing the best she can.  I hit it.  Can't ask me to do better than that.  Those engines are tougher than I thought!  Shiiit!"

Jane looked at Peter and then went flat to try to minimize the damage she might take.  She hoped that they had good enough cover but she wanted a second shot at that damned Raptor and if she died, at least she would die behind Baby and with Peter.  She couldn't waste to keep positioning herself.  She turned to look at Peter and mouthed the words "I love you" and held on, hoping they had enough cover.
The Marshall
 GM, 1609 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 19 Oct 2013
at 04:17
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 133):

The Raptor, zeroing-in on the source of the annoyance, swung both guns towards Jane and Peter's hiding place. The twin 7.62mm miniguns roared, spat fire and 7.62mm rounds began zipping all around them.

Fortunately, the technical itself was parked behind a Jeep. The intervening vehicle absorbed most of the incoming bullets. Tires were blown out with a bang, the windshield shattered, mirrors blown off and the thin sheet metal of the Jeep's sides were punctured in several places. The miniguns firing sounded like God's chainsaws: "BRRRRRAAAAAAWWWW" Spent casings vomited out the bottom of the weapons, twinkling in the light streaming out of the landing bay.

The Jeep looked like Swiss Cheese. Even the technical tooks several hits from the sheer number of rounds being pumped into the bay, but they mainly pinged off the armour or caused little damage.

Sensing no more resistance from inside, the Raptor then did something unexpected. It swung around and proceeded to begin backing into the hangar. This made sense as the exit ramp for the carried personnel/automatons was in the rear, but it also meant that it could no longer fire into the bay as the miniguns could not be brought to bear directly to the rear.

OOC: My mistake, the Raptor is armed with twin 7.62mm "Gatling" miniguns, not 20mms. They pack way less punch but have an insane ROF.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 953 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 19 Oct 2013
at 14:03
Re: What Goes Up...
The Marshall:
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 133):

OOC: My mistake, the Raptor is armed with twin 7.62mm "Gatling" miniguns, not 20mms. They pack way less punch but have an insane ROF.


Rowan looks at this and thinks I got to be insane.
"Okay let get into position shall we I think this MG is going to be needed soon"

The Marshall
 GM, 1614 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 19 Oct 2013
at 21:01
Re: What Goes Up...
Up in the Skycrane's control cockpit, Smoker concentrated. He barely felt the cold breeze coming through the shattered windscreen, or the pebbled safety glass covering the duct-taped-up seat.

There! He thought he had the basics. A joystick controlled lateral motion with thumb buttons to activate the mag hook, a lever controlled vertical motion. There were a sophisticated Junker-built automatic gyroscopic stabilisation system so that aircraft could be grabbed in flight and transferred to the bay without destabilising or damaging them.

Green lights came on, indicating the crane was operational, and the mag hook was powered and on standby.

OOC: Smoker is ready to go on the crane. Smoker and Jane can coordinate Actions for this turn, if they like, for example Smoker grabs the Raptor to hold it still while Jane shoots at it. The faster (better initiative) PC can take a "Wait" Action (that is spend 1 Action) to go on the Initiative Card of the slower.
Jane Guin
 player, 408 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 22 Oct 2013
at 13:14
Re: What Goes Up...
Jane got up after she hoped it was safe to take another shot at the enemy.  She was pleased to see that baby seemed to have survived and would spit back in retaliation of the damage around her.

Nine:   Jane (4 Actions)
Fire x 3 actions
Sleeve 1 card
If I got that wrong since I have to get back up to shoot just adjust please.

Trejo
 player, 171 posts
 Veteran Templar
 ex-Federale
Tue 22 Oct 2013
at 13:54
Re: What Goes Up...
Trejo waited patiently behind cover.  There was little he could do here.  His pistol wouldn't even scratch the paint on that sucker.  And charging forward with just his sword would get him nothing except perforated and blown to gory bits all over the hanger.  So he wait, biding his time.

OOC holding action in cover
Peter Firecrow
 player, 366 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 22 Oct 2013
at 15:36
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter stared at the jeep for a moment...or rather, he stared at what had recently once been a jeep. He swallowed and glanced at Jane apprehensively. "So. How long will it take them to get men on to here?"

OOC: One action to not wet himself.
 One action to pick himself back up from the cover he dove for.
 One action sleeving a card.
 One action delayed until the Raptor goes.

Rowan Dawson
 player, 955 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 22 Oct 2013
at 18:02
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter Firecrow:


Rowan fins cover under the wreckage and aims for the rear of the Raptor and waits for dismounts. Keeping the option of retreating further into cover
Shay Mordred-Spades
 NPC, 33 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Wed 23 Oct 2013
at 04:05
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 140):

Shay followed Rowan through the supply room and helped set up the M260 SAW.

They had found pretty good cover behind a metal worktable that was filled with tools and parts bins. Shay set the unloaded SAW and the 2 ammo cans on the table.

"OK, I have no idea how to set this up!"


Shay
King-2 Actions

1) Wait,
2) Follow Rowan and help set up MG

This message was last edited by the player at 05:06, Wed 23 Oct 2013.

Rowan Dawson
 player, 956 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Wed 23 Oct 2013
at 04:58
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay Mordred-Spades:
"OK, I have no idea how to set this up!"


Rowan smiles grimly
Well my old partner showed me, so we can manage, you spot for me Shay please tell me targets as I aim and fire

Rowan
King (2 Actions - 1 Held Card)
Setting up MG.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:49, Wed 23 Oct 2013.

Jason Sinclair
 player, 229 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Wed 30 Oct 2013
at 04:20
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Trejo (msg # 138):

Jason picked himself up off the decjk where he'd dived into the supply room when the Raptor's miniguns had opened up.

Waiting with Trejo inside the supply room door, Jason got ready to help repel boarders. He peeked out the door at the landing bay. They could hear Jane's long burst as she continued to hose the Raptor down as it started to back in.

"Man, Jane's really nailing that engine! I can see the Raptor's rear hatch, it's still closed, but that's where them Automaton's are gonna come out when it gets close enough...

"Think we should get one of them anti-tank rockets they had in the armoury? I bet that'd work!



Jason (King - 2 Actions, 1 Held Card)
Getting up
Sleeving 1 Card

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:41, Wed 30 Oct 2013.

Walker
 NPC, 30 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Wed 30 Oct 2013
at 04:27
Re: What Goes Up...
Upstairs, Walked cracked the floor hatch to get a look at what was going on. When the Raptor opened fire he threw himself down. When the firing was done he picked himself p and readied his weapon.

"Smoker, how are you doing there? Need a hand?"


King Clubs - 2 Actions
Standing up, readying weapon.
Sleeving 1 Card

This message was last edited by the player at 04:45, Wed 30 Oct 2013.

The Marshall
 GM, 1626 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 30 Oct 2013
at 04:39
Re: What Goes Up...
Standing up, Jane grabbed the spade handles of the .50 and continued to fire at the approaching Raptor as it began backing into the bay. Empty brass shell casings cascaded into the brass catcher bag attached to the side of the receiver.

At first, it looked like she was hitting but doing no damage. The housing covering the engine and lift fans was riddled like Swiss cheese but nothing dramatic happened at first. Suddenly, thick black smoke began spurting downwards out the engine! The Raptor started wobbling (along its pitch and roll axis) and the sound of the engine noise changed, becoming a tortured whine. The Raptor paused, thick smoke from the engine blowing downwards by the hovering jets, and started to descend, obviously in trouble and wanting to escape.

In an instant the Raptor's smoking engine failed completely, shedding parts and oily black smoke. Completely out of control and unable to keep aloft or stable on one wing-mounted engine, the Raptor flipped over in an uncontrolled roll, quickly dropping from sight in the darkness. Within seconds there was a tremendous crash beneath them and the stricken airship shuddered as it was hit by flaming debris and shrapnel thrown up from below. Smoke billowed into the bay entrance from outside but it didn't last long before dissipating.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:43, Wed 30 Oct 2013.

Jane Guin
 player, 414 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 30 Oct 2013
at 13:00
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 145):

Jane let out a whoop of victory and took a second to look at Peter.  "I'm not sure now how long it will take them to come inside."  She gave him a wink and then started to cough a little from the smoke.

"EVERYBODY OK?"  She shouted to her friends, still behind baby in case somebody else was coming.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 368 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 30 Oct 2013
at 15:52
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter's eyebrows went up and he looked over at Jane. "I do not think they were expecting such firepower from back here. Good job, Jane. Very good job!" He smiled at her. Then he hopped down and went to the airship's intercom. "This is Peter in the back bay. Raptor approach stopped. Do we have any more to worry about?"

OOC: Or he'll just put on his helmet and use that radio if that will work.
Smoker Nix
 player, 505 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 31 Oct 2013
at 15:06
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker looked round from the controls.

"Think I've figured it out, but it takes a few moments to warm up... just enough for someone else to shoot the target!" he grinned.
Jane Guin
 player, 416 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Thu 31 Oct 2013
at 15:09
Re: What Goes Up...
Jane grinned and blew Peter a kiss when he praised her.  She was pleased with how things worked out but knew they couldn't rest quite yet.
The Marshall
 GM, 1628 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 2 Nov 2013
at 07:37
Re: What Goes Up...
The PA overhead announced that 2 of the Raptors had managed to drop off five automatons each onto the top of the lift envelope. Panicked radio calls on the Sky Raider circuit confirmed the security team was putting up a good fight but couldn't use heavy weapons for fear of damaging ship systems.

It was obvious that the automatons weren't there to destroy the airship because their 30mm grenade launchers were equipped with tear gas cannisters, not explosives.
Walker
 NPC, 31 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Sat 2 Nov 2013
at 07:39
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 148):

"Ain't that always the way!" Walker shook his head and laughed. "Well... it's the thought that counts."

The PA announcement they had boarders on top caused Walked to look at the roof hatch.

"OK, I'm going up to see if they need a hand. You check on Simon, maybe?"
Smoker Nix
 player, 506 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 2 Nov 2013
at 13:00
Re: What Goes Up...
"All right," said Smoker, shutting the crane down and then heading back down the corridor to the accommodation.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 957 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 2 Nov 2013
at 13:39
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker Nix:
"All right," said Smoker, shutting the crane down and then heading back down the corridor to the accommodation.


Rowan collects up the MG and heads back with her new partner to her guard point again
The Marshall
 GM, 1629 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 6 Nov 2013
at 08:01
Re: What Goes Up...
Rowan and Shay grabbed the SAW and humped it back upstairs.

They met Smoker in the hall outside the VIP quarters.

Sounds of heavy fighting came from overhead. There was a burst of gunfire and several rounds of 12mm caseless, fired from a Combine Automaton, ripped through the ceiling and into the floor down he hall! The firing above them grew to a crescendo. Wisps of tear gas started to drift down from the roof plating, causing some coughing.

Denis, Winnie, Fred and Simon pushed through the door, also coughing and wiping their eyes.

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:07, Wed 06 Nov 2013.

Simon
 NPC, 17 posts
 Head Templar
Wed 6 Nov 2013
at 08:09
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 154):

Coughing from the (at this point low) dose of tear gas seeping down from the ceiling, Simon croaked, "we need to get off the airship! It's just a matter of time before those automatons overrun it!"
Peter Firecrow
 player, 369 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 6 Nov 2013
at 14:58
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter looked over his shoulder at Jane. "I guess we are needed elsewhere."

He then headed up to where Simon was at a jog.
Smoker Nix
 player, 507 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 6 Nov 2013
at 19:24
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker took off his shemagh and wrapped it around his face as an improvised mask.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 958 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Wed 6 Nov 2013
at 19:31
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker Nix:
Smoker took off his shemagh and wrapped it around his face as an improvised mask.


Rowan makes sure trickster is close to. Then says to the Templars, "I think it is time to leave and now rather than later"
Jane Guin
 player, 419 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 6 Nov 2013
at 20:09
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 156):

Jane nodded to Peter.  "Looks like my work is temporarily done here.  Hopefully they won't try that trick again while we're gone."

Jane grabs up her weapons and follows Peter.
The Marshall
 GM, 1631 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 7 Nov 2013
at 12:29
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter and Jane mount the stairs up to the 2nd floor of the gondola. Jason urged Trejo to follow.

In the passage in front of the VIP cabins the Posse was gathered, along with Simon, Fred and the 2 Templars, Plus Shay. Walker was missing.

The consensus seemed to be that it was maybe time to leave the airship.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:32, Thu 07 Nov 2013.

Shay Mordred-Spades
 NPC, 34 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Thu 7 Nov 2013
at 12:31
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 158):

Burdened as she was by the 2 spare ammo cans, Shay stood there and tried to think of something.

"We need to get to the ground somehow. If we were low enough we just just hop off or jump down. Too high and we don't have parachutes! Maybe lower the skycrane? There's about 200 feet of line, there. We could slide down?"
Smoker Nix
 player, 508 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 7 Nov 2013
at 13:08
Re: What Goes Up...
"Do you want me to go and get it running?" asked Smoker, "Now that I've figured out the controls..."

He was none to sure about trying to slide down the cable. But it might become necessary. Grrr. Solid ground underfoot. That's what he'd be aiming for in future. No matter how enticing the technology was.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 371 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 7 Nov 2013
at 16:28
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter blinked several times. "What? Why are we leaving? Why would we not fight them off? We stopped one of the raptors." He glared at Shay and then Smoker. "Are you planning on being bullet-proof as you descend the skycrane and get shot at by the raptors flying around? And are we lowering my truck down with that crane?"
Smoker Nix
 player, 509 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 7 Nov 2013
at 18:44
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker threw his hands up.

"Look, I know bugger all about combat. I expect you lot to tell me what to do."
Shay Mordred-Spades
 NPC, 35 posts
 Gypsy
 Wanted
Sat 9 Nov 2013
at 11:29
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 163):

Shay held up three fingers.

"Three, Peter! There were three more Raptors! And they dropped off Combine Automatons!

"They can't hold 'em off for long."

Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 28 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Sat 9 Nov 2013
at 11:32
Re: What Goes Up...
Fred nodded.

"That is very brave of you to volunteer to stay, Peter. Hold them off as long as you can. We're going downstairs, see if there's some way out of here."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 959 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 9 Nov 2013
at 15:48
Re: What Goes Up...
Fred Biletnikoff:
Fred nodded.

"That is very brave of you to volunteer to stay, Peter. Hold them off as long as you can. We're going downstairs, see if there's some way out of here."

 Rowan moves with the Templar group protecting Simon
Smoker Nix
 player, 510 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 9 Nov 2013
at 17:04
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker stood looking confused and a bit panicked. He didn't like situations where he wasn't in control.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 372 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 13 Nov 2013
at 15:31
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter looked a little surprised and then glared at the retreating Librarian's back. He let out a quiet growl as he stood there with all of his guns.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 960 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Wed 13 Nov 2013
at 19:37
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter Firecrow:
Peter looked a little surprised and then glared at the retreating Librarian's back. He let out a quiet growl as he stood there with all of his guns.


Rowan "Peter smoker move with me please we must protect our charge and get off this death trap of a craft"
Smoker Nix
 player, 511 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 14 Nov 2013
at 10:11
Re: What Goes Up...
"Uh, OK..." said Smoker, still looking uncomfortable.
Denis Carlton
 NPC, 8 posts
 Experienced Templar
 Broadsword
Thu 14 Nov 2013
at 21:34
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 169):

Denis stepped forward.

"Fred... I don't think Peter really wants to stay and cover your escape, if it comes down to it. He just doesn't like running, which is understandable. As a Templar we know it's sometimes best to cut our losses but it's something we have to do. But someone still does need to stay to help.

"Peter, go with Rowan and Smoker and the rest. Find a way out. I will stay, help delay them, but you must go now! All of you!"

Jane Guin
 player, 424 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Thu 14 Nov 2013
at 23:48
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Denis Carlton (msg # 172):

Jane knew that what Denis and the others said made sense.  It didn't make her decision any better but then she wasn't in this to make easy decisions as nice as they might be when they did come around.

Jane gripped her weapon tighter and put a hand on Peter's arm.  She leaned in so that he could hear her but not everybody else could.  "What was that you told me a long time ago?  You have to know when to walk away.  This is one of those times love.  We can't save the Technical nor baby.  You know how much she means to me and you know I wouldn't be walking now if I thought there was any way we could take them.  They only have ultralights and we need a medium to take them.  We can go and finish our mission, for I know you're not a quitter, or we can stay here.  If you stay I stay.  You might have to change your name to Custard or something though if we do stay for sure as shootin it will be our last stand."

She paused for she knew that Peter heard her.  "Not to push but you need to decide like a minute ago.  This war we're in is bigger than the technical and baby.  We would be better served to go with the group and make them pay for taking what was  precious to us."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 964 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Fri 15 Nov 2013
at 10:14
Re: What Goes Up...
Jane Guin:
In reply to Denis Carlton (msg # 172):

Jane knew that what Denis and the others said made sense.  It didn't make her decision any better but then she wasn't in this to make easy decisions as nice as they might be when they did come around.

Jane gripped her weapon tighter and put a hand on Peter's arm.  She leaned in so that he could hear her but not everybody else could.  "What was that you told me a long time ago?  You have to know when to walk away.  This is one of those times love.  We can't save the Technical nor baby.  You know how much she means to me and you know I wouldn't be walking now if I thought there was any way we could take them.  They only have ultralights and we need a medium to take them.  We can go and finish our mission, for I know you're not a quitter, or we can stay here.  If you stay I stay.  You might have to change your name to Custard or something though if we do stay for sure as shootin it will be our last stand."

She paused for she knew that Peter heard her.  "Not to push but you need to decide like a minute ago.  This war we're in is bigger than the technical and baby.  We would be better served to go with the group and make them pay for taking what was  precious to us."


Rowan steps forward
"Shay come on and you Smoker."

Rowan walks up along side Peter, "Jane take his other arm he coming with us even if we carry him"


Trickster stay close we are leaving this noisy area
Smoker Nix
 player, 512 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Fri 15 Nov 2013
at 10:19
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker tags along. He's looking as nervous as Trickster right now!
Walker
 NPC, 32 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Wed 20 Nov 2013
at 08:26
Re: What Goes Up...
The hatch down at the end of the passage leading to the maintenance bay slammed open. Walked dove through, then slammed it shut. He was bleeding and minus his rifle.

"OK! Time to go! The automatons have taken out the security crew, so we gotta move now!"

Trejo
 NPC, 172 posts
 Veteran Templar
 ex-Federale
Wed 20 Nov 2013
at 08:30
Re: What Goes Up...
Growling, Trejo ducked into the VIP cabin, then emerged a moment later.

"Shit. Good news, people. I looked out the damn window. We're only 50 feet up right now. Not a thousand. Let's find a way down!"

Drawing his sword, be headed down the stairs to the flight deck.
Denis Carlton
 NPC, 9 posts
 Experienced Templar
 Broadsword
Wed 20 Nov 2013
at 08:32
Re: What Goes Up...
Wearing his Templar tabard now, Denis drew his sword and charged aft down the hallway. This heroic gesture seemed to be part of who he was, something he was perhaps fated to do.

"Get Simon out of here! I'll hold 'em off."

With that, he passed Walker and disappeared through the aft hatch into the maintenance bay, where Walker had reported the marauding Combine Automatons were coming down.
Winnie Franklin
 NPC, 7 posts
 Veteran Templar
 Katana
Wed 20 Nov 2013
at 08:34
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Trejo (msg # 177):

"Yeah, time to amscray!"

Her own Tabard was now on, Katana in hand, she followed Trejo and the others down the stairs to the flight bay. From there, they could find a way off the Sky Raider 1.
Jason Sinclair
 player, 230 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Wed 20 Nov 2013
at 08:35
Re: What Goes Up...
Trejo:
Growling, Trejo ducked into the VIP cabin, then emerged a moment later.

"Shit. Good news, people. I looked out the damn window. We're only 50 feet up right now. Not a thousand. Let's find a way down!"

Drawing his sword, be headed down the stairs to the flight deck.


Jason had his tabard on as well, now, with HK P90c in one hand and sword in the other.

"You got it, chief!"
Simon
 NPC, 18 posts
 Head Templar
Wed 20 Nov 2013
at 08:36
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Trejo (msg # 177):

"Peter, everyone, please, let's go." Looking more than a little rough around the edges, he followed Trejo and the others down the stairs.
Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 29 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Wed 20 Nov 2013
at 08:37
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Simon (msg # 181):

"Yes, my apologies Peter, you don't have to stay if you don't want to. Listen to your friends, it's time to leave." With that, he followed Simon to the stairs to the lower level.
The Marshall
 GM, 1635 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 20 Nov 2013
at 08:38
Re: What Goes Up...
The stricken airship lurched as more explosions occurred above them, in the lift chamber. Gunshots and sounds of fighting came from the rear compartment where Denis was buying them time to go down and get off the ship.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 375 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 20 Nov 2013
at 16:47
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter shook off the well-meaning friends and headed towards the bay where the truck was stored. He intended to open the bay doors and get his truck out. 50 feet would damage it but it was a hell of a lot better than blowing up in the airship or anything like that.
The Marshall
 GM, 1636 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 21 Nov 2013
at 07:21
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 184):

The rear of the aircraft bay was open. Looking out, Peter could see the remains of the Raptor that Jane had shot down. It was on fire, casting light from dozens of fires fed by spilled jet fuel. They were above a grassy mountain meadow, relatively open ground.

It was clear that Trejo was correct. The airship was no longer 1000 feet above the terrain, more like 50 feet. Roughly speaking, the height of a 5 story building.

Marshall's Note: the Skycrane's controls are only reached through the upper deck Maintenance Bay, which is currently being contested by Automatons and Denis the Templar. To use the Skycrane you'd need to clear out the Automatons from the rear upper compartment.
Jane Guin
 player, 426 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Thu 21 Nov 2013
at 14:28
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 184):

Jane looked at Peter and then at her other friends.  "See you guys on the ground.  I said I'd go with Peter no matter what he chose so..."  She took a deep breath and nodded to each.  They knew that was her way of saying what she couldn't say.  If it was the end, it was.  If it wasn't then it didn't need to be said anyway.

She turned and went after her crazy man.  Somebody had to protect him didn't they?

"Right behind you Peter.  Let's go see what crazy thing you have in mind this time."
Smoker Nix
 player, 513 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 21 Nov 2013
at 14:30
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker looks round wondering if a small fellow like him could sneak up to the sky crane controls unobserved...
Peter Firecrow
 player, 377 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 21 Nov 2013
at 16:58
Re: What Goes Up...
"I was hoping with only 50 feet left we might be able to lower the truck with the crane. But it's risky since it could be shot at still. Otherwise we leave the truck and just go." He looked at Jane. "I will leave the decision in your hands since you are being stubborn and not leaving me."
Jane Guin
 player, 427 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Fri 22 Nov 2013
at 03:03
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 188):

Jane laughs at Peter's decision.  "Now you ask me to make the decision?  Get your ass over in that vehicle.  IF we're going to go out with a last bang then we're going to go out.  I'll strap in and see if I can use baby somewhat to take out what I can.  Get on the com and make sure that Healers are handy.  "IF we make it down you and I survive you had better.....well I'll let you know how you can make it up to me later."
The Marshall
 GM, 1637 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Fri 22 Nov 2013
at 04:19
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 187):

It seemed a safe bet that Peter would never need to make it up to Jane on this side of the afterlife, if there was a serious attempt to recover his truck. For Smoker to get up to the Skycrane controls, he would probably need to fight his way back upstairs. Then, somehow manipulate the controls. All over the objections of the marauding Combine Automatons that were overrunning the ship. Driving off the end of the flight deck was a quicker form of suicide, as a 5-story drop onto solid ground would in all likelihood completely total any vehicle other than a Mars Rover.
Jason Sinclair
 NPC, 231 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Fri 22 Nov 2013
at 04:45
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 190):

Looking up at the ceiling, where Denis was probably giving his life at this moment to buy time for their escape, Jason looked back at Simon, Trejo, Winnie and Fred.

"Uh, well, good luck on gettin' your truck down. Just in case that don't work, anyone got another idea to get us down in one piece? And then what we can do to avoid capture when we're on the ground?"
Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 31 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Fri 22 Nov 2013
at 04:54
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Jason Sinclair (msg # 191):

He brought out a cannister of some kind, about the size of a gas grenade but looking more like an aerosol dispenser.

"This is a "DNA Bomb". Developed by criminals to foil forensic investigators, it will completely cover an area in a chemical mist that leaves a residue designed to confuse or even disable DNA sniffers. They will have to get tissue samples back to Denver and perform more advanced analysis and sequencing. That will allow us several days to get clear and make it to Junkyard overland."
Walker
 NPC, 33 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Fri 22 Nov 2013
at 05:01
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Fred Biletnikoff (msg # 192):

Narrowing his eyes, Walker thought through the implications.

"This won't fool anyone. Especially if there are no bodies. Best would be for a couple of volunteers to decoy any Combine search units away in the wrong direction. Then when they catch up set off the DNA bomb and hopefully not let themselves be taken alive. That way there won't be positive confirmation Simon is dead, they may be suspicious but not like if there were no bodies at all.

"I volunteer to do this. I didn't know why I was meant to run into you, or why I carry this sword that Templar gave me. This is the reason, Simon. Here, take this."


The admission that although he carried a sword he was not a Templar, Squire or even Companion. Walker began handing over his sword to Simon to accept.
Simon
 NPC, 19 posts
 Head Templar
Fri 22 Nov 2013
at 05:06
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Walker (msg # 193):

Holding up his hand, Simon answered, "no, you keep the sword, please. You are not of our order, yet by doing this you've earned a place with us and will be remembered, friend Walker. Go with God.

"But first, let's get the Hell off this thing!"

Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 37 posts
 Gambler
 Wanted
Fri 22 Nov 2013
at 05:09
Re: What Goes Up...
The Huckster nodded at the plan, "I'll take up that banner, too. I've got enough tricks up my sleeve to give them at least a little run-around. Buy you all some time."
Jason Sinclair
 NPC, 232 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Fri 22 Nov 2013
at 08:11
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay Mordred-Spades:
The Huckster nodded at the plan, "I'll take up that banner, too. I've got enough tricks up my sleeve to give them at least a little run-around. Buy you all some time."


"That's a right fine thing to offer. We don't have much time. Fred, give her your robes and your datapod. Maybe we can fool the Automatons into thinking she's a Librarian.

"Shay, you know of any way down? How about them lines your crew used to get to the ground when they were mooring this beast?"

Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 32 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Fri 22 Nov 2013
at 08:12
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Shay Mordred-Spades (msg # 195):

Without a word, Fred removed his brown monk-like Librarian's robes and gave them to Shay. He hesitated, clearly pained, then gave her his camera after ejecting the dataslug.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 965 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Fri 22 Nov 2013
at 09:41
Re: What Goes Up...
Fred Biletnikoff:
In reply to Shay Mordred-Spades (msg # 195):

Without a word, Fred removed his brown monk-like Librarian's robes and gave them to Shay. He hesitated, clearly pained, then gave her his camera after ejecting the dataslug.

Okay people lets move, Rowan bows to the two remaining.
" may she who watches over all things give you grace at the end"
Smoker Nix
 player, 514 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Fri 22 Nov 2013
at 09:53
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker ran some numbers in his head.

"We are too high to drive out. If you can get me to the crane controls... Or is this thing getting lower?"
Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 38 posts
 Gambler
 Wanted
Fri 22 Nov 2013
at 17:19
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay quickly pulled the robe over her own clothing, "The ratlines are on this level. I can show you where. It's no crane, but it's how the crew is supposed to get on and off quickly."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 378 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Fri 22 Nov 2013
at 17:41
Re: What Goes Up...
Peter let out a deep sigh. The universe was against as usual. He really liked the truck. He'd had it for years, how worked on it many times and patched it often. But it ran well and kept him safe when he had needed it to.

He shook his head. "Fifty feet is still a far way down when raptor are shooting. I do not think we can get to the skycrane and I will not allow Jane to stay here." He didn't mention that he knew that the Black Hats would treat her worse than the non-former-Black-Hats.

"I..." He swallowed and looked determinedly at Jane. "If you will let leave with the others if I choose to stay, then I will have to go with you."
Jane Guin
 player, 428 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sat 23 Nov 2013
at 02:20
Re: What Goes Up...
Jane knew that it took Peter a lot to say what he did.  He wasn't the huggy feely type of man but he was a good man and in these times that was sometimes hard to find.  She knew that it wouldn't go well for her if she was caught but she had decided to stay with Peter and as the old saying mentioned, "for better or for worse".

She finally smiled and held out her hand to Peter.  "Yeah.  I can be stubborn.  Must be the company I keep.  I told you.  Where you go I go.  That even goes for a technical falling from the sky.  I'll miss baby because she's been there for me.  So have you and I'd miss you more.  You're not replaceable.  She can be."

She then tugged on Peter's hand to get him moving.  "Let's go join the others.  We can't expect them to wait for us."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 966 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 23 Nov 2013
at 09:27
Re: What Goes Up...
Jane Guin:
She then tugged on Peter's hand to get him moving.  "Let's go join the others.  We can't expect them to wait for us."

 Rowan interrupts
"If it helps my friend I will loan you this MG of mine until we can find a replacement for you vehicle as well as MG"
Smoker Nix
 player, 515 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 23 Nov 2013
at 11:36
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker looked around.

"The structure is solid enough that the technical likely will survive the airship landing, even if it goes down hard. Is it getting lower or holding at 50 feet?"
The Marshall
 GM, 1640 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 23 Nov 2013
at 11:45
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 204):

The airship seemed to be holding steady at 50 feet, or else losing altitude very slowly. As the lift cells were vacuum, it was very unlikely it would explode like the Hindenburg!
Smoker Nix
 player, 516 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 23 Nov 2013
at 11:49
Re: What Goes Up...
A wild idea went through Smoker's mind. He looked for any crew members.

"Are there any spare lift cells? One or two of those could cushion the vehicle..."
The Marshall
 GM, 1641 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 23 Nov 2013
at 12:04
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 206):

Having seen them during the tour of the airship, Smoker imagined that all the lift cells were in use and there would be no possible way to dismount them in the field. As buoyancy was only barely being maintained at present, somehow removing one could cause the airship to lose all altitude.

That is, if they had the equipment and several hours to attempt to rig something up!
Jason Sinclair
 NPC, 233 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Sun 24 Nov 2013
at 11:48
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker Nix:
A wild idea went through Smoker's mind. He looked for any crew members.

"Are there any spare lift cells? One or two of those could cushion the vehicle..."


"C'mon, Smokie! We ain't got time to fool around!" Jason was almost dragging Smoker along to follow Shay as she led them towards the ratlines.
The Marshall
 GM, 1642 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 24 Nov 2013
at 11:53
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay led them to the nearest exterior hatch.

Unlatching it, she pushed the hatch open. Beneath the airship, the wreck of the Raptor Jane had shot down still burned fitfully, throwing shadows that danced across the meadow.

Quickly, she attached the line and threw it down, unspooling it. The line smacked into the ground with several yards to spare.
Walker
 NPC, 34 posts
 Mercenary
 Don't get in my way...
Sun 24 Nov 2013
at 11:55
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 209):

Looking down, in his borrowed Templar tabard, Walker nodded.

"Looks good. Jason, you Shay and I go down first, lead 'em away. Let's go!"

With that he grabbed the rope and rappelled down, using his gloved hands to control his rate of descent. He made the ground safely, then waved up at them. "Come on!"
Jason Sinclair
 NPC, 234 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Sun 24 Nov 2013
at 11:56
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Walker (msg # 210):

Jason did the same, using a more sophisticated and safer abseiling technique used by soldiers and police making a rapid descent down a line. He too made it safely to the ground. "Shay! I mean, Simon! You're next!"
Jane Guin
 player, 430 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sun 24 Nov 2013
at 13:19
Re: What Goes Up...
Jane glanced at Rowan and smiled as she took the weapon.  "Thanks Rowan.  I won't pretend it's not going to be easy but human life is more important."  When she heard that the technical might make it from this height she smiled at a thought.

"How about we get the technical and baby out and down on the ground.  If it makes it, it makes it.  We just won't be in it.  Perhaps it will draw less notice then and we have better chances of survival."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 968 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sun 24 Nov 2013
at 14:10
Re: What Goes Up...
Jason Sinclair:
In reply to Walker (msg # 210):

Jason did the same, using a more sophisticated and safer abseiling technique used by soldiers and police making a rapid descent down a line. He too made it safely to the ground. "Shay! I mean, Simon! You're next!"


Rowan looks at Shay and the remaining folk if it would help I can make you look like the Libraian and Simon for a while
Smoker Nix
 player, 517 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sun 24 Nov 2013
at 15:53
Re: What Goes Up...
As he was tugged along Smoker asked "What's the load on these ratlines? And how many are there?"
Shay Mordred-Spades
 player, 39 posts
 Gambler
 Wanted
Sun 24 Nov 2013
at 16:35
Re: What Goes Up...
The Huckster nodded to Rowan, "Any little bit helps. As for the weight test, I have no idea. Enough to get people up and down."
The Marshall
 GM, 1645 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 24 Nov 2013
at 21:46
Re: What Goes Up...
There were a dozen ratlines (now 10) stored neatly hanging on a rack next to the hatch, each rated at maybe 100kg. They were intended to moor the airship and provide a quick way down for ground crew prior to landing. There were harnesses available to make descent safe (Jason and Walker used these) and D-rings to attach the lines to a safety bar.

This particular hatch was located in the Storage room, across from where the technical was stored. Given enough time, they could take the lines and try and lower the vehicle. Although with the full-sized pickup's weight and extra armour plating added, these lines would probably not support it.

Adding to the complication were three Combine Automatons that they could see through the cracked storage room doors. They marches up to the technical, jeep and 2 bikes that were stored on the vehicle level. Someone fired at them down the deck from near the bow and 2 returned fire. Their chainguns spat 12mm caseless rounds, and each fired a gas grenade. The third turned to the vehicles and began methodically shooting out tires and drilling the radiators with 12mm fire.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 970 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sun 24 Nov 2013
at 22:51
Re: What Goes Up...
Shay Mordred-Spades:
The Huckster nodded to Rowan, "Any little bit helps. As for the weight test, I have no idea. Enough to get people up and down."

 Rowan casts the spell as requested, then turns lowers Trickster to the ground. And follows her self
Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 33 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Mon 25 Nov 2013
at 00:13
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 217):

Seeing the Automatons were almost on them, Fred hissed to Simon, "they're here! Let's go now!" He helped the ailing Simon into one of the harnesses and helped him down, then did the same for himself.
Simon
 NPC, 20 posts
 Head Templar
Mon 25 Nov 2013
at 00:17
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to Fred Biletnikoff (msg # 218):

Reaching the ground without incident, Simon surveyed the wreckage of the Raptor strewn around them, then looked up at the Skyship above.

He said to Fred and Rowan, "I hope the others follow, my friends, but let's be on our way. Goodbye and good luck, Jason, Walker and Shay."

Marshall's Note: I am assuming Shay slides down as this is her stated intention. This will be an easy task and something she's done many times before.
Winnie Franklin
 NPC, 8 posts
 Veteran Templar
 Katana
Mon 25 Nov 2013
at 00:22
Re: What Goes Up...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 216):

Up in the airship, Winnie closed the door from the parts storage room to the flight bay, shutting out the sight of the Automatons fighting the airship crew and ventilating Peter's truck (plus the jeep and offroad bikes). She was wearing her Templar's white tabard with blood red cross, Katana in hand. A bandanna was around her face and goggles over, keeping some of the effects of the tear gas at bay.

"Those are only the first of those Combine tin cans. Everyone, get down the ropes now if you're going. I plan on being the last down.

"If you're staying, say so now and I will see you on the other side."

Smoker Nix
 player, 518 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Mon 25 Nov 2013
at 07:47
Re: What Goes Up...
Smoker will scramble down. Not elegantly, to be sure!
Jane Guin
 player, 431 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Mon 25 Nov 2013
at 18:50
Re: What Goes Up...
Feeling that the matter had been settled, that her and Peter were staying with the group, Jane adjusted her equipment and stood in line for turn to evacuate.

"Things are a little hot up here.  See you on the ground."