Whoever Fights Monsters...   Posted by The Marshall.Group: 0
The Marshall
 GM, 1788 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 03:20
Whoever Fights Monsters...
Junkyard Hilton Conference Rooms, 6th (top) floor.

The summit meeting started off well enough. There were introductions of the various factions by Mayor Turner of Junkyard. There were Junkers from the Chamber and the local Junker community, the Convoy sent Corndog (Goose's slightly weaselly 2nd-in-command), Brother Edgar of the Doomsayers, Colonel Meadows and the Oil Town delegation from Texas. Other soldiers were there, leftovers from the War: a British soldier, a Russians, a German and Mexican from the former LatAm Alliance. There was a hippie woman from the Earthers gang and an Old Ways shaman from the Sioux nations. Of course, Simon was there as well as a handful of representatives from local towns across the Wasted West.

They knew Corndog, of course, as he'd been their main contact with the Convoy. Brother Edgar looked like he wanted to have a word with Peter and the others. Surprisingly, Col. Schaeffer want't talking to the German soldier (who looked a little familiar to the Posse).

The conference room was something out of the pre-war days. Plush carpeting, a large table, audio-visual equipment, a terminal connected to the Junknet, Junkyard's intranet service. At one end were tables set with snack food, coffee and tea, cold drinks. A wet bar held wine and alcohol. Armed Junkyard militia guarded the exterior door, there were no windows.


This message was last edited by the GM at 04:04, Tue 02 Sept 2014.

Smoker Nix
 player, 616 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 09:18
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker lurked in a corner, feeling remarkably out of place but fascinated by the tech on display.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1062 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 18:24
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
<quote The Marshall>


They knew Corndog, of course, as he'd been their main contact with the Convoy. Brother Edgar looked like he wanted to have a word with Peter and the others. Surprisingly, Col. Schaeffer want't talking to the German soldier (who looked a little familiar to the Posse).

Rowan is fascinated by the varying factions represented here.
She stops to have a word with Brother Edgar " Well met brother I am glad that that which watches over us all has kept you well."
Brother Edgar
 NPC, 176 posts
 Doomsayer
Tue 2 Sep 2014
at 20:46
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Rowan Dawson:
Rowan is fascinated by the varying factions represented here.
She stops to have a word with Brother Edgar " Well met brother I am glad that that which watches over us all has kept you well."


He smiled. "Indeed, things have gone well for the Church of the Atom, Reformed.

"It's great to see all of you again. I heard you've lost some comrades since we last parted... Michaela and Trejo. Arthur was killed in the ruins of Wichita. The Wasted West seems pretty hard on Templars! And others I haven't met, I hear."

Jane Guin
 player, 525 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 3 Sep 2014
at 02:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane stayed in the back a little bit so that Brother Edgar could talk to those whom he wanted to.  She kept her eyes and ears open and let the other do the talking.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 505 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 3 Sep 2014
at 02:31
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter looked over the outside of the room and then entered the conference room itself. He was supposed to be a bodyguard and/or part of entourage, so he was trying to at least look the part a little. He gave a nod of greeting to Corndog and Brother Edgar - which was a pleasant surprise. Rowan went to Brother Edgar so Peter followed and held out his hand to the other man even.

"It is very good to see you again as well, Brother. I am glad you are well."
Brother Edgar
 NPC, 177 posts
 Doomsayer
Fri 5 Sep 2014
at 09:42
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 6):

Brother Edgar smiled. "I'm glad you're well, too. I see you're Simon's bodyguard. Smart man!

"Speaking of smart men, I have someone here I'd like you to meet. An old friend of mine, local Junker. His name's Samuel Gibson."


He waved one of the Junkers over.
Samuel Gibson
 player, 1 post
Fri 5 Sep 2014
at 13:36
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Samuel stepped forward, cowboy hat in hand but black hoodie pulled up to partially conceal his head. Still looking young though the lines around his eyes and his stubbled jaul meant he was at least in his early 30s.
He grinned and raised his free hand in greeting.
"Hi. Brother Edgar mentioned that I might be of use to ya'll. Didn't say how but oh well..."
Brother Edgar
 NPC, 178 posts
 Doomsayer
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 03:57
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Samuel Gibson (msg # 8):

Brother Edgar laughed.

"Oh, don't be modest! Samuel here is a Junker, and a resident of Junkyard. I'm sure he's got skills and equipment Simon can use. The Junkers are well-represented between the Chamber and the locals under Doc Schwartz. Samuel's an independent. No one owns him.

"And don't worry, he's not one of the Gonzers you might have heard of. Or maybe not."

Rowan Dawson
 player, 1063 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 05:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Samuel Gibson:
"Hi. Brother Edgar mentioned that I might be of use to ya'll. Didn't say how but oh well..."


 Rowan nods
" Welcome If brother Edgar speaks for you then that is enough for now."
"The rest is for another time".

Rowan turns her attention back to Simon and what is happening
Peter Firecrow
 player, 506 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 19:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter looked the new Junker over that Brother Edgar was gently pushing their way. He then gave a small shrug. "I trust Brother Edgar, so like Rowan said..." He held out his hand to Samuel. "I am Peter Firecrow."
Jane Guin
 player, 526 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 20:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 11):

Jane still kept an eye out for anything that might be going down, but did manage to nod in the newcomer's direction.  She would greet him a bit more later but if the others accepted him then that was good enough for her...for now.
Samuel Gibson
 player, 2 posts
 Junker
Tue 9 Sep 2014
at 21:24
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Nice meet you Peter. " Samuel said with a grin and a quick handshake.
"Let's get the meet and greet over with after this... I am sure ya'll have some interesting tales to tell."
The Marshall
 GM, 1789 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Fri 12 Sep 2014
at 05:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Samuel Gibson (msg # 13):

The meet and greet in the ballroom went well. There were no fights, but the Old Ways shaman didn't seem to like the Junkers, there was a road ganger or two that was getting dirty looks from some of the community reps.

After an hour or so of talking and meeting, they moved to a conference room.
Ike Turner
 NPC, 1 post
 Mayor of Junkyard
Fri 12 Sep 2014
at 05:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 14):

Ike Turner, the mayor of Junkyard, got up an made a quick speech.

"People, you know who I am, what I want. We all stand for different things, some of our visions of the future are compatible, some might take some... compromise. But one thing is for sure, if we don't cooperate, then Throckmorton and the Combine will be in charge. Lucky he don't seem interested in dividing and conquering, allying with one faction, group or community to pit us against one another. But we all know any alliance with the Combine will end with them in charge. That's why we gotta work with one another, make common cause."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 507 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Fri 12 Sep 2014
at 15:57
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter made sure he stayed far away from the Old Wayers. He didn't want to cause any...complications. He listened to Ike speak and gave a small nod. He wasn't sure he trusted the man, but what he said was true enough thus far.
Simon
 NPC, 50 posts
 Head Templar
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 04:31
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 16):

Simon got up to speak. "I don't have much to say. The Templars will be there for this fight. For a long time I didn't like the way Junkyard cooperated and sheltered scum like the bike and road gangs. I thought it was a mistake for Ike to try and cultivate scumbags as allies. Because they couldn't be trusted when push came to shove. They'd just as like to cut a deal with Throckmorton and join the Combine. In the mean time, Ike keepin' Junkyard neutral meant a lot of good people got raped, robbed and killed by his "friends" out on the roads."
Ike Turner
 NPC, 2 posts
 Mayor of Junkyard
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 04:32
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Simon (msg # 17):

Not expecting to have his past policies attacked, Ike's eyes narrowed.
Brother Edgar
 NPC, 179 posts
 Doomsayer
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 04:42
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Simon (msg # 17):

The Doomsayer smiled at Simon's words, as he'd thought the "hands off" policy of Junkyard was foolish and misguided!
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 NPC, 197 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 04:43
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota, the pistol artist, watched the doors instead of the speaker.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 508 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 14:09
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter's eyes widened. He thought they were here to talk about joining forces against the Combine, but Simon seemed to be taking the opportunity to rake Junkyard's policies over the proverbial coals as it were. Peter kept a slow scan of the room and then the exits going during the conversation.
Smoker Nix
 player, 617 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 14:48
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker struggled to stay awake. All talk and no sensible discussion as to what they ought to do next.
Jane Guin
 player, 527 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 15:21
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane moved a little bit around to get a better advantage if anything went down.  Junkyard was essential for many survival but her assignment this time was for Simon and he was right.  Many people perished outside of Junkyard.  She just hoped he wouldn't totally alienate the people in here and they couldn't come back for support or resupply if needed.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1064 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Mon 15 Sep 2014
at 16:58
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane Guin:
"Many people perished outside of Junkyard.  She just hoped he wouldn't totally alienate the people in here and they couldn't come back for support or resupply if needed.

Rowan softly from the rear, but loud enough for the room to hear
"In the past is death just as the present".
"To change the circle we must, forget the pasts mistakes".
"Step on to spiral of hope and aim for the future."
"Joined as one we can became far stronger than our individual parts"

Simon
 NPC, 51 posts
 Head Templar
Wed 17 Sep 2014
at 08:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"...But, I am glad to see you have, ah, cleaned house. Before, gangs were welcome in Junkyard's neutral zone. Outside they could do what they wanted. Then that changed.

"You took over the gangs, Ike, very efficiently too, I might add. Keep your enemies close! I don't see how it could have been any other way. They were unreliable as allies and even as neutrals they'd be as likely to ally with the Combine to save their own skins."

Simon finally smiled.

"Yes. I think you have what it takes, Mr. Mayor, to forge an alliance and keep it focused on the Combine and defeating Throckmorton. You have my support. Let's get to work."
The Marshall
 GM, 1790 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 17 Sep 2014
at 08:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker might have been bored at the interplay, but everyone else was paying attention. After all, they were deciding their future! If nothing else, the lack of quality TV and internet porn had caused people to be starved for entertainment, wherever it could be found!

Most of the independent delegates, those from the small towns and non-marauding gangs, clapped and some whooped. The delegates from the other major factions, like the Junkers of the Chamber and Junkyard, the Sky Pirates, Oil Towners, etc., seemed impressed.
Brother Edgar
 NPC, 180 posts
 Doomsayer
Wed 17 Sep 2014
at 08:31
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 26):

Sighing with relief, Brother Edgar looked a little more hopeful this meeting would end on a productive note. He clapped. "Hear, hear!"
Smoker Nix
 player, 618 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 17 Sep 2014
at 09:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker jerked awake at all the cheering.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 509 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 17 Sep 2014
at 13:28
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter gave a little smirk and nod when Simon was done talking and things broke into clapping and more. For a man with not much to say, he sure said a lot. But he seems to have brought everyone around a bit it looks like.

He stayed seated, clapping a little, but focusing on keeping his eyes open.
Jane Guin
 player, 528 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 17 Sep 2014
at 15:35
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 29):

Jane didn't clap but kept her eyes open.  It wasn't that she disagreed with Simon but she felt that it was up to them and if she clapped or didn't clap it didn't make a difference in that outcome.  So she just kept her eyes open for any disturbances caused by people who might object more strongly.
Samuel Gibson
 player, 3 posts
 Junker
Wed 17 Sep 2014
at 16:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Samuel sat back and tried to pay attention to the meeting, but his focus kept drifting off to the blueprints and schematics in his all binder.
He wondered if he should build a recorder... maybe make it smart enough to get what the blue helps everyone is going on about.
And at that he began to sketch out a design.
The Marshall
 GM, 1791 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 20 Sep 2014
at 04:39
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The few minutes of speechifying were over.

All the delegates got down to the necessary (but boring) part of figuring how they could work together. There were details of who would be in command, what resources could be contributed, how many fighters could be mustered, air and ground vehicles available. The Junkers were put in charge of the logistical aspects.
Simon
 NPC, 52 posts
 Head Templar
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 18:14
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Once the meeting wore on and details were negotiated, Simon wandered over to talk to the local Junker contingent. He came back, leading one of the Junkers.

"I hope you all aren't too bored. I thought I'd introduce you to a friend of mine. His name's "Vundra". He helped set up some of the sewage in Boise a while back. I wasn't interested in some of the other Junker technology he was offering at the time, and while I now see the benefit I still won't have any truck with Spook Juice or Ghost-Rock power if I can help it.

"Vundra agreed to help you out with our security as part of the Templar contingent. The local Junkers and the Junkers from the Chamber are well-represented and he's more of an independent contractor."

There may have been several dozen or more Junkers in Junkyard (their de facto capital) but there weren't that many that Vundra and Samuel weren't at least familiar by sight and rep. Both knew each other as part of the local Junker scene in Junkyard but not involved socially with others of their kind. Vundra was more mobile and tended to freelance outside Junkyard, working with survivor communities and colonies, plus the Convoy, while Samuel had a local repair shop.

"Vundra, this is Peter, Jane, Rowan, Smoker. Kira, as you can see, is a Templar. There are a couple more in the posse, Colonel Schaeffer and Dakota Jack, but they're elsewhere, I see.

"I'm not familiar with this gentleman,"
he indicated Samuel.
The Marshall
 GM, 1792 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 18:17
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter, Rowan, Jane and Smoker were dressed as Wasters but wore the Templar's cross as a badge of sort (armbands or a patch) marking them as Companions of the order.

Kira, a sinewy-looking woman armed with an axe, was a full Templar and wore her Tabard. Samuel and Vundra knew of each other vaguely but probably haven't needed to form an opinion other than both performed solid work (no small thing for Junkers).

OOC: I made a small mistake. Dakota is with Schaeffer on overwatch, Kira is in the room.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 510 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 24 Sep 2014
at 19:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter's eyebrows rose as Simon expressed his zero tolerance policy on using ghost rock and spook juice. Interesting. Peter had no compunctions really, but he wasn't a Junker or anything. He knew most vehicles were made to use fuel and spook juice both since gas was harder to come by these days.

He gave a nod of greeting to Vundra. "Junkers, Junkers everywhere. I'm Peter Firecrow." To Simon, he added, "Samuel Gibson here is a local Junker that Brother Edgar pointed our way."
Smoker Nix
 player, 619 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 08:49
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Power is power," muttered Smoker. "Like fire, good servant but poor master."
Simon
 NPC, 53 posts
 Head Templar
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 09:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 35):

Simon nodded a greeting.

"Samuel, good to meet you. I could use the help of another Junker. Interested in joining this little posse?"
Vundra
 player, 1 post
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 10:33
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra is taping his fingers together lightly and seem to be smiling. His scalp is pulsating softly.... " Ahh nice to meet you, You can just call me V. You should be expecting junkers to join you as you are in the junkyard after all. As Simon have said, I am here to offer help, I hope you find my skills useful" He says in a fast and raspy voice.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:35, Thu 25 Sept 2014.

Samuel Gibson
 player, 4 posts
 Junker
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 12:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Samuel stands and offers Simon his hand.
"Nice to meet ya. I'm sure eager to see what I can do to help. "
Vundra
 player, 2 posts
 Junker
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 12:36
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"So Samuel, what is your "specaility" so to say?"  Vundra rubs his hands together.
Samuel Gibson
 player, 5 posts
 Junker
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 15:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Samuel grins at the question, "Locomotion, comm, armor, both schools of power supply,  and both simple firearms and energy projectiles. "
He pats the pistol on his side, "This is my disruptor pistol and my jeep, Manuel, is outside.
Vundra
 player, 3 posts
 Junker
Thu 25 Sep 2014
at 16:05
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra starts grinning too."Ahh like minded fellow, my powers are armor , energy weapons,  shield , spirit weapons and VTOL" vundra also pats his pistols, "These are my Flash gun and Plasma pistol, my VTOL, Wywern, is also outside" Vundra starts to feel that he and Samuel is going to go well together.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:40, Thu 25 Sept 2014.

The Marshall
 GM, 1793 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 27 Sep 2014
at 22:13
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
8pm local time.

The meeting broke up several hours later. There were no threats and no breaches of the ground perimeter. Schaeffer and Dakota reported nothing untowards happening in the garage.

The Posse had an evening to kill, as the summit would continue at 10am the next morning.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1065 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 27 Sep 2014
at 22:22
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The Marshall:
8pm local time.

The meeting broke up several hours later. There were no threats and no breaches of the ground perimeter. Schaeffer and Dakota reported nothing untowards happening in the garage.

The Posse had an evening to kill, as the summit would continue at 10am the next morning.

Rowan is worried, and goes to find her love, finding him she gives him a kiss that promises more later.
"Schaeffer the opposition must make their move soon or the alliance against the will be firmed up". I just do not see where it is going to get through. The only area we have not protected well against is underground"
Vundra
 player, 4 posts
 Junker
Sat 27 Sep 2014
at 23:57
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra goes to check out samuel's jeep. It is very important for junker to appreciate other junker's creation as it help the junker create a new creation of his own.
Samuel Gibson
 player, 6 posts
 Junker
Sun 28 Sep 2014
at 01:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Samuel leads Vundra down to see Manuel.
Manuel is an old jeep Cherokee modded with roll cage. The engine block had long ago been replaced with a ghost rock reactor. The console modified to click in spirit batteries.
As he approached the stereo system clicks on eagerly. "Cisco kid" by War begins playing.
Vundra
 player, 5 posts
 Junker
Sun 28 Sep 2014
at 02:00
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra is grinning widely "How fast can she go? Did you build her? How long have you got her?" A thousand questions pop into his head as he admire the creation.
Samuel Gibson
 player, 7 posts
 Junker
Sun 28 Sep 2014
at 02:30
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"He. Manuel is 5 years old. It took me a lot of time to get the chassis rebuilt.  But it was totally worth it. Once I figure out the appliance power I plan to add a microwave and a fridge.
Vundra
 player, 6 posts
 Junker
Sun 28 Sep 2014
at 03:03
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Oh am sorry I always call Wywern she so I call your ride she.Should we go check out my ride next?"
Peter Firecrow
 player, 511 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 30 Sep 2014
at 05:14
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter let out a little chuckle as the two Junkers started talking shop and left to check out each other's rides. In any other group, that might be innuendo, but he was pretty sure they were going to look over the two vehicles and talk more shop. So he let them do that. He was a truck guy, for sure, but he was no junker and his truck was only modified with normal mechanics stuff and armor. And a machinegun in the bed.

He glanced at Jane and shrugged. "Was there anything you wanted to do tonight since we have the night off, Jane?"
Jane Guin
 player, 529 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 30 Sep 2014
at 14:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 50):

Jane grinned at Peter.  "I think they want to be alone with their girls.  I hadn't thought about it yet.  I'm actually open to just relaxing when we can but if you want to do something we can.  A good shower or tub and food and you. What more could a girl want?"
Peter Firecrow
 player, 512 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 1 Oct 2014
at 23:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter smiled back at Jane and nodded. "Alone time." He gave a mock shudder at vague mental images of Junker Love.

"Relaxing suits me just fine. Too often we have to be wary all the time. And we never have such accommodations." He lead the way back to the room. "What more could a man ask for either? Nothing, if he's smart, especially within earshot of the girl." He let out a soft chuckle.
Jane Guin
 player, 531 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sun 5 Oct 2014
at 03:00
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 52):

Jane smiled at Peter and nodded.  "And I know you are a smart man.  I'm not saying that I want to have so much comfort ALL the time but it is good.  It's like a mini vacation or as much of as one we ever get."
The Marshall
 GM, 1796 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 5 Oct 2014
at 11:07
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
It seemed that the evening was going to be a peaceful one.

Vundra and Gibson were introduced to the other 2 members of the Posse: some kind of sniper called "The Colonel" and a gunslinger by the name of Dakota Jack.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 332 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sun 5 Oct 2014
at 11:17
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Col. Schaeffer was a cammied-up soldier in a battlesuit, carrying a mammoth sniper rifle and an M4 carbine on his back. More like a small cannon! He seemed pleasant enough, if business-like (or Teutonic).

"I am so pleased to be meeting you, Vundra and Gibson. If Brother Edgar and Simon are friends of yours, you are friends of mine!

"That being said, I am proposing a watch schedule between now (1800) and 0600. Kira the Templar will be staying with Simon and Fred, his librarian assistant, all night. Peter and Jane take the 1800-2200 shift, Smoker and Vundra 2200-0200, Gibson and Rowan 0200-0600. Attack will come, if it does, some time before dawn so Dakota and I will reinforce Gibson and Rowan at 0400.

"Everyone stands-to at 0600. If nothing is happening by 0800 then you will be free to get breakfast, nap, and so on. Conference starts again at 1000 hours."

Dakota Jack Cardinal
 NPC, 198 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Sun 5 Oct 2014
at 11:18
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 55):

The pistol-fighter, Jack, was wearing a gunbelt with two replica Colt Peacemakers in low-slung quick-draw holsters on his hips. He also carried a lever-action Winchester repeater rifle.

"Sounds good to me, Colonel. Anyone got a better idea?"
Vundra
 player, 9 posts
 Junker
Sun 5 Oct 2014
at 14:07
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Sound good, i will drop by the watch at 2200 , anyone care to join me for some afterburner tonight?" Vundra sound excited about going to drink some signature spook juice of the junkyard.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 514 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 8 Oct 2014
at 13:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter will have fun and relax with Jane, take his shift and then get some sleep - though he knew he wouldn't get much. He had a tiny hope that no one would be dumb enough to try anything, but he was so often proven wrong. Or was he just a cynic?

This message was last edited by the player at 13:19, Wed 08 Oct 2014.

The Marshall
 GM, 1798 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 9 Oct 2014
at 07:49
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Everyone settled in for the night. After hours of negotiation, Simon has to be helped to his room where he not so much falls asleep as collapses in exhaustion.

Watches came and went. Finally, it was Vundra and Smoker's watch at 0100.
Smoker Nix
 player, 621 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 9 Oct 2014
at 07:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker paced up and down, thinking that if he sat still for too long he might just fall asleep. He'd not had a drink during the evening, but a good meal inside was enough to make him ready for bed.
Jane Guin
 player, 535 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Fri 10 Oct 2014
at 14:22
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane enjoyed Peter's company.  Sleep was always fleeting for him and she was glad when he could relax a bit more.  She, of course, never thought she needed to relax  even though many others might think so.  Perhaps that is one of the ways that she and Peter complimented each other.  They didn't usually state the obvious but they also looked out for the other whenever they could.

Soon, she knew, would be back to the usual routine of constant vigilance and bumpy rides while things got blown up.
The Marshall
 GM, 1800 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 11 Oct 2014
at 21:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
At 2200, Peter and Jane went off-shift and Vundra and Smoker came on.

For their shift, Vundra and Smoker spent their time trading off between the corridor and the room. There was actually TV to watch, so it wasn't as boring as it could be.

Around 0113, Vundra was taking his shift in the corridor when he heard a "thump" coming from a corner down the corridor to the left. They were the only delegates housed in this wing of the Junkyard Sheraton, and an armed militia MP floor patrol had come through about five minutes earlier, going the other way. (Outside, MPs with dog teams patrolled the perimeter, and a guard post in the parkade guarded the entrance to the Underground.)
Vundra
 player, 11 posts
 Junker
Sat 11 Oct 2014
at 23:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Did you hear that? I thought I heard something." Vundra gets up and pull out his laser pistol and walk over to investigate the noise.
Smoker Nix
 player, 623 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sun 12 Oct 2014
at 14:22
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker took post by the door.

"You check, I'll stay here."
Vundra
 player, 12 posts
 Junker
Sun 12 Oct 2014
at 14:44
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
" Hehe , If there is something I will scream then." Vundra slowly moves toward the end of the hall and peek around the corner to the left.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:44, Sun 12 Oct 2014.

The Marshall
 GM, 1802 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 13 Oct 2014
at 08:53
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 65):

Laser in hand, Vundra quickly rounded the lefthand corner.

Before him stretched an empty corridor. All the doors on both sides were closed. But the noise he'd heard wasn't that of a closing door but more of a hollow "clunk".

To his right was the closed door to a supply or cleaning closet. Some kind of liquid was leaking through the bottom of the door, soaking the plush carpeting as it spread. The patch of wetness covered about a square foot or two. Whatever it was, it didn't look like blood.
Vundra
 player, 15 posts
 Junker
Mon 13 Oct 2014
at 09:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"You might wanna come see this" Vundra shouts and then keeping his gun aimed at the door he opens it.
The Marshall
 GM, 1803 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 13 Oct 2014
at 09:49
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 67):

The closet was locked. It was a key lock in the knob, not an electronic lock like the guest rooms.
Vundra
 player, 16 posts
 Junker
Mon 13 Oct 2014
at 10:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Hey! What is going on in there?" Vundra pounds on the door, knowing that he has nowhere near enough strength to force the door, he waits for Smoker to come over.
The Marshall
 GM, 1804 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 13 Oct 2014
at 11:31
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 69):

There was no answer from within. The dark stain at his feet continued to spread from under the door. It looked to most likely be water. Probably not blood or some other thicker fluid.
Smoker Nix
 player, 624 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Mon 13 Oct 2014
at 16:21
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"What's going on?" asked Smoker, sticking his head around the corner.
Vundra
 player, 18 posts
 Junker
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 00:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Something is not right here. Can you help me get this door open?" Vundra points at the door and the pool of liquid
Smoker Nix
 player, 625 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 07:54
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker came over, bent down and took a sniff.

Then he took a step back and kicked the door just beside the lock in an attempt to 'bounce' it open.
The Marshall
 GM, 1806 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 10:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 73):

Smoker's kick did not force the door.

However, what was jarred loose was the memory that Smoker knew how to pick locks and actually had a lockpick set on him.
Smoker Nix
 player, 626 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 14 Oct 2014
at 13:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
This is what happens when I don't have enough sleep! thinks Smoker, getting his lockpicks out and setting to work.
The Marshall
 GM, 1809 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 15 Oct 2014
at 10:39
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 75):

The lock wasn't too complicated, mainly meant to secure cleaning supplies and not gues rooms. There was a click and the door was unlocked.

But still closed! Someone would need to open it...
Vundra
 player, 22 posts
 Junker
Wed 15 Oct 2014
at 10:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra opens the door with his other hand as he keep the pistol pointed at the door.
Smoker Nix
 player, 628 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 15 Oct 2014
at 13:28
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
And Smoker peered in...
The Marshall
 GM, 1811 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 15 Oct 2014
at 23:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
A balding man, probably a janitor, lay in the cleaning supply closet. His jumpsuit was pulled open in front. There was a wheeled mop bucket that was on its side in the small space, the source of the water that had leaked under the door. There were shelves with cleaning supplies, garbage bags, brushes, etc. A push broom was propped in the corner and a mop lay across the small space.

The man had a horrific expression on his face, eyes bulging. His face, neck and exposed chest bore bloody marks from claws or fingernails. The wounds were many but did not appear very deep. Almost superficial.
Vundra
 player, 24 posts
 Junker
Wed 15 Oct 2014
at 23:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"What in the bloody hell! Do not move or i will shoot! Explain why you are here! Now!" Vundra keep his pistol aimed at the man as he shouts at him.
The Marshall
 GM, 1813 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 00:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 80):

The man remained sprawled, motionless. He might be faking but it looked like he was dead or unconscious. While he had a lot of exposed wounds none seemed serious enough to be fatal and there was not enough blood pooled below to indicate he had bled out. Internal bleeding could be involved. There was a noticeable odor of feces and urine over that of the cleaning products and it looked like he had wet his pants.
Smoker Nix
 player, 629 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 07:53
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"I don't think he's going to move in a hurry... Cover me," said Smoker, moving in cautiously and putting a finger to the man's caroitid pulse.
Vundra
 player, 25 posts
 Junker
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 08:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"I, I dont see how he got in here,why and what did this t-too himm." Vundra plugs his gun into his armor in case he need to start blasting alot.....

This message was last edited by the player at 10:39, Thu 16 Oct 2014.

The Marshall
 GM, 1814 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 10:34
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Kneeling in the soapy water spilled from the yellow mop bucket, Smoker felt for a pulse. His head lolled. Not having any medical training might have been a hindrance, save this man was clearly dead. But the body was still very warm. Smoker saw through the open front of the janitor's coveralls there was a long and bloody gash in the man's stomach.

Aside from the body, shelves, bucket and floor sink, there was a small ventilation panel high in one wall.
Vundra
 player, 26 posts
 Junker
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 10:43
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Y-You got anything on tha-that man? Should I shoot him to ma-make sure he is da-dead?" Vundra is shaking a little bit. It must be from fear? or maybe excitement.....
Smoker Nix
 player, 630 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 10:49
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"He's dead," said Smoker, swallowing hard. He stood up and peered into the ventilation panel.

"As we didn't see anything vicious leave, locking the door behind it, I guess it got out through here."

Smoker assessed the size of the ventilation shaft, wondering how big a critter could crawl or slither through it.
Vundra
 player, 27 posts
 Junker
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 10:53
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Th-the panel look ra-rather intact, I dont think that i heard him enter either so he might have been he-here a while. I th-think i should go get the ot-other."
Smoker Nix
 player, 631 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 10:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"He's still warm," said Smoker, gulping again. He hoped he wouldn't hurl, not here, not now.

"I'll try the panel, see if it will move. Something killed him, and I don't want it visiting anyone else!"
Vundra
 player, 28 posts
 Junker
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 10:58
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"I wi-will go warn the other." Vundra start heading to the other to inform them of the mysterious event.
The Marshall
 GM, 1815 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 13:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The ventilation grille came off easily enough with a tug. The vent itself was maybe 15cm high and 30cm wide. Far too small for a person to pass through. Smoker noticed the janitor had a ring of keys clipped to his belt that probably fit the door.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 333 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 13:38
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Back at Simon's rooms, Vundra met Schaeffer at the door. The man was only partially dressed in fatigue pants, T-shirt and boots. But he was also carrying a suppressed M4 carbine on a front sling. He looked a little eumpled but was obviously someone used to going from a dead sleep to mostly functional.

"Ya, what is zee problem?"
Vundra
 player, 29 posts
 Junker
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 14:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"We found a dead man with really weird wound, ya all might want to check it out. I need to also warn other incase the killer might go after them too." Vundra still have his gun drawn.
Smoker Nix
 player, 632 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 14:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker replaced the grill and climbed down to relieve the deceased janitor of his keys. He'd return them to the hotel staff... eventually.

He came back out of the cubby-hole and went back to his post. The danger always was in getting distracted from what you ought to be watching.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1068 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 17:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer:
Back at Simon's rooms, Vundra met Schaeffer at the door. The man was only partially dressed in fatigue pants, T-shirt and boots. But he was also carrying a suppressed M4 carbine on a front sling. He looked a little eumpled but was obviously someone used to going from a dead sleep to mostly functional.

"Ya, what is zee problem?"

Behind him stands Rowan her clothing compete about from her armoured vest.
Across her back her sword hilt sticks up but in her hands is her trusty AK
" Has any one checked on the Simon yet" she asks
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 203 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Thu 16 Oct 2014
at 23:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Well lets try not to split our forces up too much, I'll see what kind o' trouble Simie has gotten himself into." Dakota says while sitting up from his bedding with no fuss or agitation. Dakota makes sure his gun-belt are secured around his waist, with his police shoulder holster being strapped on while he speaks.

"I can hold my own if we get into some trouble but maybe 'ole wisewoman here," Dakota indicates Rowan with a nod of his chin "Can see if there's any disturbances o' tha force about?" Dakota then quietly heads towards Simons sleeping quarters while setting the hammer back on each readied peacemaker. "Finally ole Meat an' Taters here can get some blood-lust, have'nt shot anyone dead since New Mexico." Dakota mutters obviously referring to his revolvers.
Vundra
 player, 30 posts
 Junker
Fri 17 Oct 2014
at 10:32
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra heads back to his post and find smoker there. "I told them about the dead guy, did you find anything interesting?"
Smoker Nix
 player, 633 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 18 Oct 2014
at 15:22
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Not really. If anything got in through the ventilation shaft it was small and rather tidy, replaced the grill neatly behind itself."
Vundra
 player, 31 posts
 Junker
Sat 18 Oct 2014
at 15:31
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra walks over to the closet and drag the body out of the room and look for any sign of whoever  or whatever did this do him.
The Marshall
 GM, 1816 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 18 Oct 2014
at 17:04
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Checking Simon's room, Kira (the Templar) verified to Dakota that he was all right. Simon's Librarian assistant, Fred, verified he hadn't left the room and no one had entered.

Vundra was unable to find any evidence of someone in the supply closet. It was as big as a walk-in closet, but not that big!

There wasn't exactly a hue and cry but four armed Junkyard Militia MPs quickly arrived to seal off the corridor. The hotel was already locked-down, but a room-to-room search was initiated.

The MPs were not happy about Vundra moving the body. One of the MPs cautioned, "there are police detectives on the way now. Don't touch the body, and stay out of this part of the corridor. It's a crime scene."
Vundra
 player, 32 posts
 Junker
Sat 18 Oct 2014
at 17:13
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra shrugs and leave, at least he is off duty now as they wont need a look out when the palce is filled with police. He return to his room and start working on some battery pack for a new project he is working on.
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 205 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Sat 18 Oct 2014
at 17:14
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota smiled at Kira, which may be impressive because he still has all his teeth despite being a wastelander for years. "Well I'm not meaning any offense to yur obvious capabilities as a warrior Kira, but lets just check tha' room."
Dakota pauses while he scans the corridor for threats. "In this weird west, who knows what in the hells crawled in here and killed that janitor. Its obvious 'ole Simi has a target 'em, and its my sweet pleasure to gun down whoever put it there." Dakota flashes another quick smile and adds "Mi Lady."
Kira 'Valkyrie' Herja
 NPC, 39 posts
 Templar
Sat 18 Oct 2014
at 17:38
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 101):

Standing in the door to Simon's room, Kira hefted her maul thoughtfully. "I already checked. I am not going to wake him up for no reason. I was sleeping in a chair pushed against the door, no one came in and he never left."

She wasn't threatening Dakota, of course, just really reluctant to bother Simon on the word of Dakota, a virtual stranger to her.
Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 50 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Sat 18 Oct 2014
at 17:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Kira 'Valkyrie' Herja (msg # 102):

Wiping sleep from his eyes, Simon's assistant Fred the Librarian came up behind Kira. He had been sleeping in the suite as well.

"I think he's already awake. Dakota, please come in."

At his signal, Kira moved aside.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1069 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 18 Oct 2014
at 18:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Kira 'Valkyrie' Herja:
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 101):

Standing in the door to Simon's room, Kira hefted her maul thoughtfully. "I already checked. I am not going to wake him up for no reason. I was sleeping in a chair pushed against the door, no one came in and he never left."

She wasn't threatening Dakota, of course, just really reluctant to bother Simon on the word of Dakota, a virtual stranger to her.

From behind Jack Rowan steps out, "Honours Kira, there has been an incident and I think your problem from home may be here Librarian"
At her side trickster checks the room at her request
Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 51 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Sat 18 Oct 2014
at 18:58
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 104):

Fred let Dakota, Rowan and Trickster inside Simon's suite. He looked thoughtful.

"Indeed. I had feared as much. But what could be the possible point of these killings? Other than to discredit Simon? Unless that's the point.

"Dakota, you haven't been to Boise, the headquarters of our Order, so you haven't heard of the "Horror". Over the years, a serial killer was striking on the nights of the new moon, taking several victims. A "bloodwolf", a hybrid vampire-werewolf, was tracked down and killed a year ago in the ruins, that seemed to halt the killings.

"But last week someone was killed in Boise just before we left there to travel here. Last night a local person was killed and a Templar's cross traced in blood on the wall. The Horror never struck outside Boise and it's not the new moon.

"The last victims (the one in Boise and the one last night) seem to have been killed through self-inflicted wounds. Back in Boise a Doomsayer named Barb tried to speak to the spirit of the dead but something was preventing her from doing so like usual.

"How did this person die?"

The Marshall
 GM, 1817 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 18 Oct 2014
at 19:01
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Nothing seemed amiss in the room that Simon shared with Kira and Fred. It was a large suite but without a balcony (security risk). There were 2 King-sized beds with sheets of Egyptian cotton, plush carpeting, jacuzzi-bathtub, wet bar and coffee maker off the small entry corridor.

At this point, Simon was sitting up.
Simon
 NPC, 54 posts
 Head Templar
Sat 18 Oct 2014
at 19:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 106):

Simon yawned, looking completely exhausted.

"Discrediting me would be enough. Not another attack?"
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1070 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 18 Oct 2014
at 19:25
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Simon:
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 106):

Simon yawned, looking completely exhausted.

"Discrediting me would be enough. Not another attack?"

Rowan crosses to help the guild master and check him over "it would seem so Simon .
"Best I stay in the same room as you I think between my self and trickster we will see what tries to enter"

Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 206 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Sun 19 Oct 2014
at 00:10
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota holsters his revolvers and nods "Hmm seems whatever got tha' ole janitor did'nt do much to 'em damage wise, so it maybe a poisoned lil sucker. Maybe its a baby bloodwolf," Dakota kinda laughs at that thought before he continues.
"I don't know much about such freaks myself. You hear stories out on tha' trail, but they don't really bother me much as long as Meat n' Potatoes are by my side." Dakota states while he pats his dual Colt Peacemakers holstered at his sides.
Dakota then scratches his chin, and then his face seems to brighten. "Maybe I and another worthy sort should make a look about. See if tha other important political types have had any incidents, could be your just a target because of the alliance." Dakota looks to the others for an indication of a plan.
The Marshall
 GM, 1818 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 19 Oct 2014
at 13:42
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 109):

The corridor was now sealed off with a pair of MPs at either end. A team of detectives and forensics techs were starting to process the crime scene.

Back at the rooms, a pair of detectives knocked at the door. They were the ones who handled the murder of the skullchucker player the night before.

Showing their ID, the older woman intoruduced herself. "I'm Detective Sergeant Morrisey, that's Detective Chin.

"Sorry to bother you folks. I'm going to need statements from all of you, especially those who found the deceased. As well, once we're done I'm going to have to ask everyone to return to your rooms and remain there. The entire hotel is on lockdown and we're imposing a complete curfew until 0700."


Chin made himself busy by videoing everyone with his slug-corder.
Smoker Nix
 player, 634 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sun 19 Oct 2014
at 14:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"We heard a noise. I opened the door. The body was lying there, already dead but warm to the touch. No sign of an assailant. Good night."

Smoker yawned tremenously and went off to his bed.
Simon
 NPC, 55 posts
 Head Templar
Sun 19 Oct 2014
at 14:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker Nix:
"We heard a noise. I opened the door. The body was lying there, already dead but warm to the touch. No sign of an assailant. Good night."

Smoker yawned tremenously and went off to his bed.


"Smoker, my friend, please show a little more cooperation." He smiled tiredly at the detectives.
The Marshall
 GM, 1820 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 19 Oct 2014
at 14:07
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Simon (msg # 112):

"Follow me, please."

This time, the Asian detective led Smoker down the hall to where he was out of earshot. Det. Chin carefully went over his statement, making sure he got the timing straight and the exact details of what happened.
Smoker Nix
 player, 635 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sun 19 Oct 2014
at 14:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker looked a bit confused.

"I just said what happened. I thought that was what was wanted..."

But he goes dutifully down the hall with Detective Chin and repeats everything until he is satisfied.
Vundra
 player, 33 posts
 Junker
Sun 19 Oct 2014
at 14:13
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Well I was sitting on my post watching TV ....  when I heard a noise like something fell down so I walk over to see if anything happen .... and saw some water leaking out under the closet door. I call my friend over ...  and he get the door open and ... we found that guy half naked and .... dead with the bucket spilled on the floor, I when over to wake up other after that. After I come back I move the body out of the pool of water ... to look for whatever that might tell what happen but it seem the killer mysteriously disappear."
Vundra sounds a bit shaky as he talks.
The Marshall
 GM, 1821 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 19 Oct 2014
at 14:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The detectives make sure they take Vundra and Smokers' statements where no one could overhear them.

They also both used portable devices to scan their clothing and any bladed weapons. Vundra recognised these units as handheld DNA scanners made before the War.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1071 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sun 19 Oct 2014
at 14:35
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The Marshall:
The detectives make sure they take Vundra and Smokers' statements where no one could overhear them.

They also both used portable devices to scan their clothing and any bladed weapons. Vundra recognised these units as handheld DNA scanners made before the War.

 If Rowan is told what they are using she will ask to see the results if any thing is dicovered
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 208 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Sun 19 Oct 2014
at 15:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota shrugs and follows one of the detective to make his statement. "Well you see I was having this great ole dream 'bout Miss April 2080, great body you know?" Dakota says as he makes a lovely shape of a woman with his hands. "I think she was a red head, can't remember been 13 years since I seen one of those fabled mags man." Dakota shoots one of his classic smiles before he continues on.

"Anyway having this great dream when that razed Junker shakes me awake and says 'Hey man quit touching yerself and check out this dead guy,' so I did well you know after zipping up and such. Well and there he was laying in a puddle of soapy water, chest all ripped up. I bet its one of those lil bastard midgets or something, those things are fuckn' creepy."

"Anyway if you need any help shooting that lil slayer, I'm game. Think I'm getting rusty, have'nt had to gun down anyone in weeks."
The Marshall
 GM, 1822 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 19 Oct 2014
at 22:57
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 118):

Det. Chin cut Dakota off at the start of his description of his dream.

"Please try to stick with what happened in the real world, sir, and not your dreams. Try to focus on the deceased, what you saw, what you heard. And the time."

The detective merely nodded in a neutral manner when Dakota was done. He asked a few details about who was there when Dakota arrive and scanned him for DNA. When it became obvious Dakota had arrived after, he ended the interview.

"Thanks, we'll be in touch. You're free to go back to your room."
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 210 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Tue 21 Oct 2014
at 02:46
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota shrugged and, instead of heading towards his room, sauntered off to Simon's room. He gave two taps on the door and waited for an answer. "Just wanted to git a plan of action from ya, I don't think this'll be the last surprise. But maybe I just have an itchy trigger finger. Think we should look around, or just get on back to our sentry duty routine?"
The Marshall
 GM, 1826 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 21 Oct 2014
at 09:46
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 120):

The female Detective stood behind Jack. Her partner moved to flank him. Neither had weapons drawn, not that they would be faster on the draw than Dakota. But they had considerable backup on quick notice.

"Sir. You need to return to your room. As much as it doesn't seem likely, you are a suspect. The lock-down applies to you, too."
Simon
 NPC, 55 posts
 Head Templar
Tue 21 Oct 2014
at 14:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 121):

"Dakota, I admire your spirit. Let's let these people do their jobs and not wander around. Don't want to upset our hosts." He smiled tiredly at the detectives, who seemed to relax a little.

Marshall's Note: OK, posted as the correct character!

This message was last edited by the player at 14:07, Tue 21 Oct 2014.

Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 214 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Tue 21 Oct 2014
at 17:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Whatever you want, but I'm gonna be a snarl'n demon if I missed a chance to blast tha critter responsible for ole Georges demise." Dakota shrugs and heads off to his sleeping quarter's to take a solid power nap until his shift.

OCC: Sorry forgot to put my colors up! So it is fixed now.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:57, Tue 21 Oct 2014.

Rowan Dawson
 player, 1072 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 21 Oct 2014
at 18:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Rowan slides to a corner  of Simons room with trickster and stands silently with an almost we are not here, we are not the people you are looking for.
Pass by us we are not your problem.
The Marshall
 GM, 1828 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 22 Oct 2014
at 05:21
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The MPs and police conducted a room-by-room search for suspects or evidence, gathering statements from the posse and the other delegates. Soon, the hotel quieted down but armed MPs were stationed on every floor to enforce the lockdown.
Smoker Nix
 player, 636 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 22 Oct 2014
at 10:03
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Reckoning that his shift was probably over even without the MPs hanging around, Smoker went off to his bed and fell asleep.
Vundra
 player, 35 posts
 Junker
Wed 22 Oct 2014
at 13:34
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Seeing that his partner has gone to sleep, Vundra finish his little project before taking a nap too.
The Marshall
 GM, 1830 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 26 Oct 2014
at 12:35
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Rowan and Gibson took their shift. Unable to get back to sleep, Schaeffer accompanied them to see how the other sentries were doing.

They saw with surprise the people on duty had gone to sleep! True, there was a lot of heat on at the moment, but the point was that they have some of their own people awake in addition to hotel and Junkyard security so they wouldn't be completely flat-footed in case of an attack.

Schaeffer decided not to blow a gasket. Smoker and Vundra were civilians and sure, not much was likely to happen now. Either way, he got everyone up at 6am for the general stand-to. This was the most likeliest time for a surprise attack. Even if it didn't come, they were at least up for an early breakfast.

Luckily, the forces of the Combine decided not to attack at that time. It was good they were up early as the breakfast buffet was quickly mobbed by the delegates from across the Wasted West.

They were first in line for breakfast.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:36, Sun 26 Oct 2014.

Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 215 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Sun 26 Oct 2014
at 12:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota had already been up cleaning his guns by the time Schaeffer had knocked on his door to wake him up. Dakota strapped on his trusty Meat and Potatoes gunbelt and his shoulder rig holding the police pistol, he stopped for a second as if to ponder something and also grabbed his lever action before heading towards breakfast.

He quickly dived into the morning meal, as if it was going to be his last bit of food on earth. After finishing his meal with the flair of a waster, basically having cleaned his plate dry, Dakota wandered over to Schaeffer. "So those flatfoots fig're who don it yet? All this stand'n 'round is giving me a strong case o' itchy trigger finger. What'vr got that guy must'a crawled through the air vents, but I got stonewalled by those jerks in uniform." Dakota sighs, and scans the crowd of wasters with a keen eye.

Dakota began to roll up a nice joint from his stash as he began talking again"I don't think it was one 'em that did it, I'm ah' thinking it was an outside force. we might be need'n some o' that witchery to get a clear view of things." Dakota finished by lighting up his joint, taking a good hit and went to pass it to Schaeffer "Wak'n bake?"
Vundra
 player, 38 posts
 Junker
Sun 26 Oct 2014
at 13:03
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra stays quiet during most of the stand-to and the breakfast, he seems to be deep in thought. After breakfast, Vundra peels himself from the group and go to his bike and being his usually cleaning and shining. He also fetch a few pieces of this and that to finish his project later.
Smoker Nix
 player, 637 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sun 26 Oct 2014
at 16:15
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker surfaces in the morning and wanders down in search of breakfast.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 333 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Mon 27 Oct 2014
at 10:39
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 129):

A freshly-shaved and showered Schaeffer waved off the spliff, then gave in and took a puff. "Try to be sober for the meeting, ya? Put that out. I understand the need to relax, but please, is not correct time!"

With a smile, he stubbed the joint out while winking at Dakota.

"If anything came through that vent, it was perhaps something robotic. Or supernatural? Whichever, something is going on here. Of course."

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:39, Mon 27 Oct 2014.

Det. Sergeant Morrissey
Mon 27 Oct 2014
at 10:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The detective sergeant (Morrissey) from last night entered the cafeteria, looking around. An intent look on her face, she sauntered over to the Posse.

"Morning. Interesting news. I think your crew is off the hook. There was no foreign DNA in the victim's wounds, or any place not explained by when you found him. There's no defensive wounds either: they appear to be self-inflicted by cleaning tools or the victim's own fingernails. And these were not immediately fatal. The poor guy actually died of congestive heart failure. Before the war there would have been medicine for that. No such luck now, even here."

She seemed to be studying the Posse's reaction to the news.
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 217 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Mon 27 Oct 2014
at 12:00
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Hey man I'm, jus try'n to stay on the same level as everyone else. I'm way too fast, its unfair." Dakota replies to Schaeffer as the detective walks into the room and adresses the posse. Dakota gives a big smile to the detective sergeant as he turns to her "Well morn' ma'am, you sure now how to bright'n up a room. Ya look'n a lil stressed maybe ya need a nice relax'n tumble when this is all ov'r."

Dakota scratches his chin realizing he hasn't shaved in weeks and he just gives a coy smile like someone just told the best joke he's heard since the bombs fell. "I didn't know tha cleaning slave, but most people don't just rip em selves open and drink down some 'ole bleach to start a day. I've seen some weird shit out 'ere since those bombs hit this lil planet of ours. What ya got fer the mystical evidence? Any thin in 'is ears, nose, mouth? Jus ask'n cause I just shoot 'em, I'm no gumshoe." Then an idea hits 'em and he scans the room for Vundra or that other junker fellow, "Where'd our mad scientists go anyway?"
Smoker Nix
 player, 638 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Mon 27 Oct 2014
at 14:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Hardly news," said Smoker, who's not a morning person. "We know we had nothing to do with the janitor's demise."

He decided that a mug of coffee might improve matters, or at least keep him from saying anything (more) that he might regret later, and limped off towards the coffee pot.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 521 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Mon 27 Oct 2014
at 15:36
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter was tired. That was normal for him, but there it was nonetheless. Having horrifically-vivid nightmares every night took it's toll on a person. About once a week or so, Peter would get one blessedly dreamless night of sleep, as his body and mind just couldn't take it anymore and shutdown for 8 hours basically - kind of like resetting the clock. Once he was reset, however, the nightmares would start up again the next night like normal, like clockwork once more.

He looked around as he drank coffee. Wonderful caffeine. He glanced at the detective and raised one eyebrow. He'd been told about the dead man, of course, but that hadn't been on his watch so he didn't know anything but second-hand information. "Interesting. Sad that we do not have proper medicine anymore. And healers are hard to come by these days too." He paused a moment. "So...is the official investigation stating that he died of a heart attack after clawing at himself, ie: he was scared to death?"
Det. Sgt. Morrissey
Tue 28 Oct 2014
at 08:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 136):

She sighed, helping herself to a coffee from the carafe. Junktown's Mayor was really pulling out the stops hosting the delegates for the anti-Combine alliance.

"Sounds about right, a heart attack. It's not unlike the Flowers death I was investigating. I went back over the evidence in that case. No foreign DNA. Wounds appeared to be self-inflicted. No toxicology other than some alcohol and marijuana in his system. But Flowers was strong and managed to last long enough to bleed out from his wounds, unlike the janitor, Mr. Cadiz.

"I'm not one to believe in the supernatural. But after the War there's a lot of strange things out there that are very dangerous. Robots. Mutants. Cyborg assassins. Military sykers. Weaponised psychotropic drugs, chemical warfare agents.

"Say, you haven't heard of anything like this in Boise, have you? Unexplained murders? Similar M.O.?"


She watched the posse's reaction carefully, particularly those who'd been with Simon since he left the Templars' HQ.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:16, Tue 28 Oct 2014.

Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 218 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Thu 30 Oct 2014
at 06:46
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Nah, not really, but to be fair ma'am I was quite plastered at tha time. I do recall not having to shoot noth'n in ole Boise." Dakota explains to Detective Sergeant Morrissey, "But I bet one o' posse could recollect for ya."
Smoker Nix
 player, 640 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 30 Oct 2014
at 09:05
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Fred Biletnikoff might know. He's a Librarian, and I think he was tracking unusual deaths as one of his projects," said Smoker from behind a stack of pancakes.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 334 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Thu 30 Oct 2014
at 10:42
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Schaeffer was called over to discuss something with a group of Junkyard city government reps. and militia officers. What followed was a heated discussion. He came back, looking nonplussed.

"It seems that after the murder last night, the local authorities believe the security of this building is compromised. They will be holding today's meetings at city hall, down the block. I do not like the logistics of moving such a large and diverse group, and of course who is to say city hall will be an improvement, security-wise, but that is the situation.

"Eat up, we start shuttling delegates by foot tunnel in fifteen minutes. It's just a block, but much can happen. They assure me this conduit is secure."


He looked unconvinced.
Vundra
 player, 40 posts
 Junker
Thu 30 Oct 2014
at 11:22
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra returns to the posses just before the time for the meeting, He is carrying a small sack that seems to be filled if some parts.

"Sooo, Is there any new update on last night incident? I have a bad feeling about it, both how he got kill and how his body got there. I dont think we heard him as he got into that janitor closet either."


Peter Firecrow
 player, 522 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 30 Oct 2014
at 13:53
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter was slow to answer, and thankfully others chimed in first and he looked at them as they spoke. "I do not believe there were murders that were exactly like this in Boise."

He left it at that as he gave a nod to Schaeffer and finished up his coffee and little bit of breakfast. Time to get moving.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:02, Thu 30 Oct 2014.

Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 219 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Thu 30 Oct 2014
at 14:33
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
At the Colonel's statement Dakota laughs, "These city folk sure make stupid mistakes it seems. This whole meeting is a joke, the world has changed and so must our tactics." Dakota says as heads to his squat and prepares to travel into possible death and destruction, and the posse hasn't seen him happier. "Might actuatly get some shootn' done, maybe we should send some scouts 'head?"
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 335 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 00:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 143):

"OK, let's go. It's a pedestrian tunnel. About a block long. We shall gain access."

Shifting his carbine to low-ready, Schaeffer snorted at Dakota's earlier dismissal of an attempt at alliance. "The world may have changed, but people have not. To defeat an evil like the Combine people need to work together, to organise effectively you need to talk. Before the war we had telecommunications and the Internet, now we have to get them in the same room. In that sense the world has changed, yes.

"Otherwise, the Combine will take out these communities and groups, one at a time. No matter how brave they are. Divide-and-conquer by offering to spare some while targeting others.

"I would guess that your "plan" would be to strap on your pistols and go challenge Throckmorton to a duel on the main street of Denver at high noon. Pistols versus an army of automatons, artillery, machine guns and air support. Very heroic."

Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 220 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 00:34
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"No I just think people to wake up to the world around them," Dakota replies as he checks his six-guns and holsters them, "If this was tha safest place to hold a meeting, and its now compromised, how is traveln' wit a group of defenseless yahoos to anoth'r highly unsecured place safer? Best to stay here and finish this shit, before it finishes us."

He smiles at the thought of dueling Throckmorton in Denver, "If only it was that easy to end the Beast, I'd be there in Denver plugging that S.O.B., no I think someone in that group is sabtagoing this whole process. I still think we should send a scout ahead of the main group, who made the decision to move us anyway they's probally who is behind it all." Dakota ponders as he takes up his rifle and also checks to see if its loaded, "We shoulda asked Vundra to make a drone for scoutn'."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1074 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 06:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer:
</DarkGreen>
Shifting his carbine to low-ready, Schaeffer snorted at Dakota's earlier dismissal of an attempt at alliance. "The world may have changed, but people have not. To defeat an evil like the Combine people need to work together, to organise effectively you need to talk. Before the war we had telecommunications and the Internet, now we have to get them in the same room. In that sense the world has changed, yes.

"Otherwise, the Combine will take out these communities and groups, one at a time. No matter how brave they are. Divide-and-conquer by offering to spare some while targeting others.


Rowan looks up. "Schaeffer is correct in his statements."
 "Rowan shakes her head but they are wrong in their desire to shift to another location, best they continue it here"

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 336 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 08:21
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 146):

Schaeffer looked like he agreed.

"I agree, for what it's worth, about staying put. Something's wrong, or at least there's perhaps something we're missing. It is not our decision. Unless you want to be asking Simon, ya?

"Challenging Throckmorton to a duel wouldn't work, anyways. He is an AI in a mainframe, I hear. But people are waking up, seeing they can't ignore the threat any longer, that the Combine won't leave them alone even if they want to stay out of this fight. Perhaps the war never finished, not really."

Smoker Nix
 player, 641 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 09:01
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"I will scout if you like," offered Smoker, having decided that a third stack of pancakes just wouldn't fit inside him.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1075 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 09:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer:
Schaeffer looked like he agreed.

<DarkGreen>"I agree, for what it's worth, about staying put. Something's wrong, or at least there's perhaps something we're missing. It is not our decision. Unless you want to be asking Simon, ya?


rowan nods and goes to speak to Simon.
Politely she puts her case to him
1/ This is the most defendable place they have.
2/ it is likely that the body has been dealt with to drive us out of here.
3/ The chances of the representatives being attacked on the move is high
4/ There is no guaranty that the next place will be any better and more likely it will be worse.
Both Shaffer and myself think it would be better if we all stay here
Vundra
 player, 41 posts
 Junker
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 11:25
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota Jack Cardinal:
</Red>Dakota ponders as he takes up his rifle and also checks to see if its loaded, "We shoulda asked Vundra to make a drone for scoutn'."

"I can make drone but If you want to scout, you better ask Samuel to make some cam feed for you. Also my "specailty" isnt utiliy construction, I rather prefer making destruction equipments. I can give you something that you might like." Vundra unclip an object that look like a soft drink can with a ring of metal stick out on top and hand it to Dakota. " I think you will like this. Just pull the ring and dont be near it when it goes off."
Simon
 NPC, 56 posts
 Head Templar
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 12:07
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Rowan Dawson:
rowan nods and goes to speak to Simon.
Politely she puts her case to him
1/ This is the most defendable place they have.
2/ it is likely that the body has been dealt with to drive us out of here.
3/ The chances of the representatives being attacked on the move is high
4/ There is no guaranty that the next place will be any better and more likely it will be worse.
Both Shaffer and myself think it would be better if we all stay here


Looking tired, Simon looked indecisive for a moment. "Oh, all right. I'll see if they will change their minds."

He wandered over to meet with the Junkyard officials and militia officers. After several minutes of talking, he returned.

"They say City Hall is actually more defensible, because it's the old Hellstromme Industries HQ and built like a fortress. Ike and the other HI personnel held out there for weeks during the first days of the war. There are external turrets and steel shutters for all doors and windows. They are moving people through a tunnel. Unless the Combine can dig their way through the ground and breach concrete, it should be impossible to ambush the delegates."

He shrugged. "I know it seems less than safe. But I don't think it's worth me walking out."
Samuel Gibson
 NPC, 9 posts
 Junker
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 12:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra:
Dakota Jack Cardinal:
</Red>Dakota ponders as he takes up his rifle and also checks to see if its loaded, "We shoulda asked Vundra to make a drone for scoutn'."

"I can make drone but If you want to scout, you better ask Samuel to make some cam feed for you. Also my "specailty" isnt utiliy construction, I rather prefer making destruction equipments. I can give you something that you might like." Vundra unclip an object that look like a soft drink can with a ring of metal stick out on top and hand it to Dakota. " I think you will like this. Just pull the ring and dont be near it when it goes off."


Gibson finished his ersatz coffee.

"Uh, I'll try, but I have only, what, 15 minutes?"
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 221 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 12:25
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakotas face brightens like that of a young boy on christmas day when Vundra hands him the grenade, he feels its weight in his hand and attempts to become familiar with its workings - which is'nt hard, even for him, pull the pin and throw. "Thanks man, I don't think anyone's ever given me the gift of explosives before."

He turns to Simon and shrugs "Be it we die here, or in a tomb don't much matter but this sticks of the Combine, they've grown because of Throckmorton's cunning and foresight. This is what I'd do, if only to sow the seeds of mistrust an' fear, we are too strong together and are capable of being a thorn in his side. But I'll go along with it." Dakota says with a sly grin, he turns towards Smoker "I'll scout ahead with you, and don't worry Schaffer I'll keep this baby around," Dakota says indicating the Vundra Explosive Can, "Till I see the demon born cyborg rat that killed the janitor, then I'm gonna stuff it down its rusty throat just to make sure we killt it right."
Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 52 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 12:27
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The Detective talked to Fred for a few minutes, then left the cafeteria.

Coming over, the Librarian waited for a chance to speak.

"Peter, everyone, do you have a moment? Look, I understand people don't like to believe in the supernatural. I know parapsychology was fairly well understood during the war. There were "Sykers" send to the colonly on Faraway, plus all manner of commandos and special operations types, even assassins. Most people assume that the things they see people like the Doomsayers or Templars do is like that, or perhaps some form of genetic manipulation or mutation.

"I believe those poor people were possessed to kill themselves. And no Syker could do that. Some mind control psychoactive agents could drive people crazy, but none I know of could reliably make them kill themselves, and not leave a trace after.

"That bloodwolf might have been responsible for some victims. But I don't think it took all the victims in Boise. And something is hunting people here, now."

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 337 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 12:28
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 153):

After a few moments talking to the security personnel, German commando handed over a security badge to Dakota.

"Here. This will get us into the transfer tunnel, that we may inspect it. Is anyone else coming?"
Jane Guin
 player, 541 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 13:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Fred Biletnikoff (msg # 154):

"Supernatural is weird.  I can deal with weird but don't like it and not sure I believe it...yet.  Hunting on the other hand is something that I fight back against."
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 224 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 13:17
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota takes the offered security badge, "I think its me, you and Smoker. While I wouldn't mind Jane and Peter watching ma back up there, we need a strong fall back position. Assume the worst, so tha best is easier to swallow." Dakota then ponders for a moment, "If its a ghost kill'n them, maybe we need Rowan to watch our backs if she can. Or is there a way to plug a ghost Rowan?"
Vundra
 player, 43 posts
 Junker
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 13:23
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra pulls out his flasher pistol"I can make weapons that kill ghost, it was a nifty trick i picked up when working with IGR. This little darling will put a hole in living and spirit.  Also Dakota, that can, it is not good for stuffing down throat but i guess you can do it..."
Smoker Nix
 player, 642 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 14:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker limped forwards to join Dakota.

"Do I need a fancy badge as well?"
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 338 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 14:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 159):

Schaeffer made sure Smoker was wearing his badge.

"It's the same one from before. Vundra and Gibson were not given them before now."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 524 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 15:14
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter watched the detective until she left, then slowly turned to Fred. "SOMETHING is going on, that is for sure. I believe in the supernatural. Something or someone is killing people around here, and it seems to be getting closer and closer to Simon. It's not the Bloodwolf as far as I can tell. A different pattern and methodology. I fear it's someone that traveled with us from Boise. I don't like it, but I don't know how to stop it. I don't have any special powers." He forced a small smile. "Maybe I should see if Simon would take me in as a Templar." It was difficult to tell if he was joking or not.
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 226 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 15:45
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"This is big 'ole mess, we need to scout this tunnel but I don't wanna do it wit out some way to track and kill this fuck'n thing. Vundra, Thomas you think you can whip up some sort of aide so we can see this thing? Unless its some jerk drone, then we're wasting our time. Whatya guys think?" Dakota frowns and looks to the others for guidance, "I just shoot things I can see, I aint no Harry Potter."
Vundra
 player, 44 posts
 Junker
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 16:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"I dont know what can I about that, Unless you want me to just make a really big bomb that kill ghost? That wont be healthy for people around you though.... Or amybe...." Vundra start mumbling to himself, lost in thought about making things.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1076 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Fri 31 Oct 2014
at 16:03
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer:
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 153):

After a few moments talking to the security personnel, German commando handed over a security badge to Dakota.

"Here. This will get us into the transfer tunnel, that we may inspect it. Is anyone else coming?"

Rowan smiles as she answers her man
"I am going to be staying close to Simon Col, for many reasons".
"Jane carry on using the MG of mine if you wish till you don't need it"

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 339 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sat 1 Nov 2014
at 00:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 162):

"It would indeed be perfect to have some way to track a supernatural target. But that just might not be possible to arrange in the short time we have.

"There is a saying: do not let perfect be the enemy of the good enough. Let us go down, scout the passage. If there is something there, we can flush it out. Even if we can't track it, at least we will have spoiled the enemy's ambush, if that's what their plan is. Once the Junkers here are convinced there is a real problem and that it is not conventional in nature, they may be able to fashion something.

"I have a weapon that might work against the supernatural. It is in my room. I will meet you in the lobby in five minutes.

"They say they will be moving everyone in ten minutes or so, but if I don't miss my guess it will actually be more like a half hour to get everyone organised to move."


Without waiting for an answer, he left the cafeteria at a jog.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 525 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Sat 1 Nov 2014
at 00:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
A weapon? Peter frowned in thought. They didn't need a weapon against the supernatural. Well, they might at some point. But first they need a way to find it. Or a way to protect against this...mind control or whatever, if Biletnikoff was to be believed. But he kept his mouth shut. He didn't have anything constructive to contribute for the moment, so he nodded to them all and went to guard Simon.
Samuel Gibson
 NPC, 10 posts
 Junker
Sat 1 Nov 2014
at 00:09
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 165):

"I'll see if Brother Edgar can be of some help."

He didn't have a lot of faith in the supernatural, but Doomsayers seemed to be able to tap into the same power source as Junkers, that of Ghost Rock and radiation, if in a non-technological way. So maybe there was something there? He moved off.
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 229 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Sat 1 Nov 2014
at 06:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Well if we see some crazy shit in that ole tunnel, I have this neat can o' soda Vundra gave me. Hey Vundra make sure, in case there is a next time, we have protocols fer ghost huntin'. Also might as well throw in Werewolves, Sea Hags, Chinese Hopping Vampires, Regular Moody Vampires and Mummies. Just in case." Dakota says chuckling as he makes his way towards the tunnels and waits for the Colonel by the entrance.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:43, Sat 01 Nov 2014.

Smoker Nix
 player, 643 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 1 Nov 2014
at 11:01
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker joined Dakota by the tunnel entrance.
The Marshall
 GM, 1840 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 1 Nov 2014
at 11:34
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Two unimpressed Militia are guarding the tunnel entrance, which is in kind of a lower elevator lobby level of the hotel. The tunnel entrance was simply a pair of fire doors marked "PEDESTRIAN TUNNEL to CITY HALL" off to the side of the foyer. A few dusty planters guarded the lobby area, apparently there used to be a nightclub down here as well as the hotel service areas. On the other side was the underground parkade entrance, guarded by two more Militia.
Brother Edgar
 NPC, 181 posts
 Doomsayer
Sat 1 Nov 2014
at 11:42
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 170):

Brother Edgar, a Doomsayer (and former Posse member) came down the stairs. He was dressed in purlple Doomsayer robles, a mark of the Reformed Church of Atom in contrast to the green robes worn by the Cult o' Doom. He was carrying a shiny black metal rod of some kind, sort of like a crude sword with a grip fashioned from Duck tape wrapped around one end.

"Hell, Gibson said you might need help. I can't see or track anything supernatural, but miracles like Nuke and this Control Rod should work against anything bullets won't otherwise touch."

OOC: If you make a killer Occult Engineering (Vundra) or Knowledge roll (Smoker) to determine more information.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 340 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sat 1 Nov 2014
at 11:54
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
On the dot, Schaeffer arrived with a Militia dog team in tow (2 MPs and canine). He had his battlesuit on with his carbine, but at his side was a cavalry dress sabre. It was of an old style, with tassled pommel and curved hand guard. He pulled it out to check the blade, which was of fine steel with the initials "SMS" engraved on it.

"I needed to get my sword. It belonged to my father, the Colonel... I mean, me. I'm the Colonel. Therefore it's mine. Yah... is good Sollingen steel, been in our family for generations, since the time of Bismark. We were a proud Prussian family then. Of course, not any more..."

He seemed to be babbling as he stared at the sword, and stopped talking with an effort of will. Steadying himself, he sheathed the sword back in its scabbard and put his carbine at low-ready.

"Good to see you again, Brother Edgar. OK, are we ready? Dog team on point checking floor and the front. I will follow checking the ceiling. Then Dakota and Smoker, check left and right. Brother Edgar, you are last, guard the rear."

A memory jolted Dakota from when they parted ways, weeks past, in Amarillo. The Colonel had met some men from his old unit and he wanted to accompany them for a while. But as respectful and fond as they were to him, they kept on calling him "Lieutenant" for some reason and not "Colonel". However, this was a while ago and he wasn't reminded of it until now, if it meant anything.

OOC: Technically, the Colonel's Sabre is a +1 Longsword.
Vundra
 player, 46 posts
 Junker
Sat 1 Nov 2014
at 12:24
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra holds his bag of parts in one hand and follow the group quietly, He seem to still be deep in thought.

OOC: Vundra rolled 10 using 5d12, keeping the highest dice only, rerolling max with rolls of 3,3,3,10,5. Occult Engineering(Control Rod). Nope I know nothing :P
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 230 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Sat 1 Nov 2014
at 13:34
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"That's a nice pig-sticker there Schaeffer, I need to get me some magic bullets or something. I feel left out hahaha." Dakota laughs a little out of nervousness as he readies his Winchester and moves towards the left of the Colonel "Well me and Melon Splitter will just have to make due. Hey i just remebered, why'd those old cohorts of yours way back then call you Lieutenant?"
Vundra
 player, 47 posts
 Junker
Sat 1 Nov 2014
at 14:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
" AHH, Yes magic bullets, If there anywhere you can find those it will be here in the Junkyard!" Vundra suddenly shout out as he realise somthing. " I might be able to make some of those too but I would need to go get some more parts though .... yeah i would need this and that ...." Vundra returns to mumbling again.
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 231 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Sat 1 Nov 2014
at 14:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota smiles, he really loves having a Junker around "Well I might hav ah Police Sidearm I can loan ta such ah beneficial enterprise hah!"
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 341 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sun 2 Nov 2014
at 03:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 174):

Schaeffer seemed briefly confused by Jack's comments. Not just what he was talking about but something further.

"Pig sticker? Sword? Yah, is good." Again, he seemed a little rocked, but recovered. "Look, let's go. Everyone pay attention, yah? That includes you, Vundra."
Vundra
 player, 48 posts
 Junker
Sun 2 Nov 2014
at 04:01
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
When he heard his name, Vundra snaps out of his mumbling" Ahh yes, pay attention, might be something around, yes,yes"
The Marshall
 GM, 1841 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 2 Nov 2014
at 04:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The flanking Militia opened the double-doors to the tunnel, standing aside to let them pass.

Away from them the tunnel stretch into the distance. It was sparsely-lit (not a high priority for scarce replacement lights) with a few side doors here and there near the entrance. There was worn carpet lining the floor and a few patches of paint peeling on the walls. Some of the ceiling acoustic tiles were missing.

The canine team entered, then Schaeffer.
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 232 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Sun 2 Nov 2014
at 08:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota followed Schaeffer inside the tunnel on Schaeffer's left side cautiously, checking low and then high with his Winchester lever action cocked and ready to rock. Dakota kept an eye out for any sort of air-vents or places to plant explosives.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1077 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sun 2 Nov 2014
at 10:54
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The Marshall:
The flanking Militia opened the double-doors to the tunnel, standing aside to let them pass.

Away from them the tunnel stretch into the distance. It was sparsely-lit (not a high priority for scarce replacement lights) with a few side doors here and there near the entrance. There was worn carpet lining the floor and a few patches of paint peeling on the walls. Some of the ceiling acoustic tiles were missing.

The canine team entered, then Schaeffer.

 rowan and Trickster remain with Simon.
Some how she is worried about all the team being away
Vundra
 player, 49 posts
 Junker
Sun 2 Nov 2014
at 12:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra stays near the back of the group, he looking around erratically. He is holding the small sack with one hand and the other hand rests on his pistol.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 342 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sun 2 Nov 2014
at 12:38
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 182):

Realising that he'd forgotten to place Vundra somewhere in the group, Schaeffer let him stay where he was.
Smoker Nix
 player, 645 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sun 2 Nov 2014
at 15:16
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker went into the tunnel, taking the right seeing as Dakota had already veered left.
Jane Guin
 player, 542 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 5 Nov 2014
at 15:24
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Rowan Dawson:
Rowan smiles as she answers her man
"I am going to be staying close to Simon Col, for many reasons".
"Jane carry on using the MG of mine if you wish till you don't need it"


Jane nodded to Rowan.  "Thanks Rowan.  One can't have enough weapons at times can one.  Well some of us can't anyway."

After a moment to think on it, Jane smiled and handed back Rowan's gun to her.  "On second thought, part me likes the idea of taking my own on this.  I would take both but then would barely move.  There might come a time when I might need it again and I do thank you for the loan."

Jane was quiet as she was assigned to whatever position they felt she could be best served at but her mind was busy wondering why The Colonel was rambling a bit.  He seemed out of sorts as well as some other things weren't quite adding up right.  Perhaps she was just tired.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:59, Thu 06 Nov 2014.

The Marshall
 GM, 1843 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 6 Nov 2014
at 01:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The small "patrol" entered the pedestrian corridor connecting the Hilton with City Hall. At one point Hellstromme VIPs and employees would use this conduit to travel between the buildings without going on the ground level, which had narrow sidewalks.

The foyer by the door was carpeted, but the rest of the block-lock tunnel had marbled tile floors and tiled walls. Their footsteps echoed off into the distance, along with the panting of the police dog in the lead. Many lights were out, causing more and more shadow. Emergency lights were switched on to provide additional illumination.

There was something or someone up ahead.

Up in the lead, the Militia with the dog signalled a stop. The dog (Attila) barked once. "Up ahead. Looks like a crew, replacing lights. I heard they were doing that."

Sure enough, about 200 feet away were five people in work coveralls, with ladders and boxes, repairing the emergency lighting. They were moving quickly and efficiently, doing what they could in a limited time. Not replacing every light but just the ones in the greatest darkness.

Upstairs, the delegates were starting to get organised to begin moving to City Hall. It would actually take more like a half-hour to get everyone moving, not the desired 15 minutes.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 527 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 6 Nov 2014
at 03:43
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter and Jane were sticking close to Simon while the others 'scouted'. He didn't like dividing the forces up, but he didn't see much of a good choice either way. He didn't have a weapon out, but he was definitely very armed with a machine pistol in a shoulder holster, a pistol tucked into his belt and an auto-shotgun slung over his back. He realized he needed to get more holsters...or stop carrying so many guns.

He stayed close to Simon and spoke quietly when there were only Simon's group around. "I hope you are well today, Simon. Were you able to get word to Jo so she does not show up?"
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 235 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Thu 6 Nov 2014
at 05:46
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota eyes the workers suspiciously after he checks to see if his side is clear. Though its not that unusual Dakota it would make sense they'd fix the lights before traveling down this tunnel the wary gunslinger ponders, "You'd think after tha world blew all ta hell, there'd be less menial labor.".
Smoker Nix
 player, 646 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 6 Nov 2014
at 08:49
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker limped forwards a few steps, checking on what the repair crew were doing.
Simon
 NPC, 57 posts
 Head Templar
Thu 6 Nov 2014
at 09:04
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter Firecrow:
He stayed close to Simon and spoke quietly when there were only Simon's group around. "I hope you are well today, Simon. Were you able to get word to Jo so she does not show up?"


Simon nodded.

"I don't know if she got it, but a runner took the message to the RV point. She's not here. I assume she's staying away. Good thinking, either way."
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 343 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Thu 6 Nov 2014
at 09:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota Jack Cardinal:
Dakota eyes the workers suspiciously after he checks to see if his side is clear. Though its not that unusual Dakota it would make sense they'd fix the lights before traveling down this tunnel the wary gunslinger ponders, "You'd think after tha world blew all ta hell, there'd be less menial labor.".


Schaeffer kept moving forward, weapon at low-ready (pointed at the floor an angle in such a way that the M4 could be easily brought to bear). "With industrial society gone, most labour is menial, now. Scavenging, digging and removing rubble, building town walls, planting crops. But I would be guessing that there is overall less janitorial work happening."
The Marshall
 GM, 1846 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 6 Nov 2014
at 09:12
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The two militia moved up to check IDs. The foreman had a paper work order he pulled out of a pocket.

As they did, Smoker saw that aside from the ladders there was a hand-truck they were using to carry replacement bulbs and the burned out ones they replaced. It seemed they were on the up-and-up, although the cart had a lower storage compartment that could be used to hide weapons. The three men and two women (one of these a mutie with keliods covering the left side of her face) were dressed in maintenance coveralls and tool belts (small tools like screwdrivers, pliers, crimpers for electrical cables, etc.). None were armed. The dog sniffed them and the cart but seemed uninterested.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 528 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 6 Nov 2014
at 15:50
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter gave Simon one of his rare small smiles. "I try to help with what little I can when I can. The smile disappeared and Peter's face started to slip into uneasy before quickly going stone-faced. "I just...feel that something isn't quite right. I don't know what yet."

He glanced over at Jane for a long moment. "Here's to hoping I am wrong and just being a paranoid old man."
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 237 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Thu 6 Nov 2014
at 15:58
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
As Smoker approached the workers Dakota moved in closer, so as to cover Smoker if anything went to hell, but far enough away from the workers to not scare them to badly. The whole time he kept Melon Splitter at a low ready. "Hey, are those bulbs up ta code? Wouldn't want ta get tha power bill too high."
Simon
 NPC, 58 posts
 Head Templar
Fri 7 Nov 2014
at 08:46
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter Firecrow:
Peter gave Simon one of his rare small smiles. "I try to help with what little I can when I can. The smile disappeared and Peter's face started to slip into uneasy before quickly going stone-faced. "I just...feel that something isn't quite right. I don't know what yet."

He glanced over at Jane for a long moment. "Here's to hoping I am wrong and just being a paranoid old man."


Simon looked at Peter, then around at the milling delegates. He nodded, then shrugged. "I can't say what it is, either. Maybe just PTSD. Been fightin' monsters too long."
Mutie Maintenance Worker
Fri 7 Nov 2014
at 08:49
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 194):

The woman smiled. "Yeah. These lights aren't supposed to be used for routine lighting. But every building before the war needed to have 'em and they are rugged enough to still be working. So we use 'em."

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:57, Fri 07 Nov 2014.

Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 238 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Fri 7 Nov 2014
at 13:00
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota fixes his dead gaze on one of the whispering workers, still keeping his rifle low, he says in a deathly calm and imposing voice "So what are you two hiding," gone is all the humor Dakota typically displays towards others and he seems to take on the visage of death itself.
Jane Guin
 player, 548 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Fri 7 Nov 2014
at 14:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane gave Peter a small nod when he muttered low under his breath about hoping to being wrong.  Of course soon or later he would be right.  Call it occupational hazard if you will but sooner or later there would be fighting.
Smoker Nix
 player, 647 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Fri 7 Nov 2014
at 15:35
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker took a look at one of the lamps, his usual curiousity about anything technological coming to the fore.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1078 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Fri 7 Nov 2014
at 17:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
quote:
Simon looked at Peter, then around at the milling delegates. He nodded, then shrugged. "I can't say what it is, either. Maybe just PTSD. Been fightin' monsters too long."


 Rowan smiles "to quote a film".
"I feel a disturbance in the force"

She adds in "truth Simon the way has much to teach"


“Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.”


Taken from another Wisdom

"I am a knight."
 "We walk in the dark places no others will enter."
 "We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass."
 "We live for the code, we die for the code"


Rowan Smiles
"And if that was not written for your people Simon I have never heard a passage that was."


Rowan carries on guarding Simon in all the ways she can using both her senses and Tricksters

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:34, Fri 07 Nov 2014.

The Marshall
 GM, 1850 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 9 Nov 2014
at 00:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 197):
Checking the carts, Smoker determined there was nothing suspicious. Emergency lights, florescent tubes, brackets, ballasts, screws and fasteners.

The workers all stopped and stared at Dakota in various stages of shock and fear. Light bulbs scattered and dropped onto the tile floor, some breaking. "Holy shit! He's going to kill us! Fucking RUN!" One man jumped off the ladder, stumbled, then took off down the tunnel at a dead run. The ladder clattered over and fell. Another man was right behind him, as was one of the women. All three were ripping off their tool belts to run faster. Tools flew everywhere. The foreman cowered against the wall, uncertain what was going on.

"But... they wanted us to change the lights! They told us to change the lights! DON'T KILL US! JESUS, PLEASE Don't kill me! I've got a wife and kid, mister! I don't know what we did wrong! Tell me what we did wrong!" He was almost sobbing now.

The only person standing up to Dakota was the mutie woman. She shook her head in disgust. "Good going, dickbag. There goes the crew. Now we'll never get this done. If I see you coming, you better step aside, mister."

Surprised, the Militia acted confused. The canine handler fought to control his dog, which was barking wildly. "Attila! Down!" The other brought his M22 rifle to cover the running workers, then Dakota, then back, wondering who he should shoot and thinking he might just let God sort them out. "What's going on? Somebody say something quick or I'll shoot someone!"
Simon
 NPC, 59 posts
 Head Templar
Sun 9 Nov 2014
at 01:00
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 200):

Simon raised an eyebrow. "Sounds familiar. Some sort of ancient writing, Rowan?

"Oh, looks like some kind of commotion in the tunnel."

Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 246 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Sun 9 Nov 2014
at 01:32
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota still stern faced cracks a smile at the mutie woman "Well I'll be damned, most jerks just crap themselves and run off, like those guys!" Dakota laughs and props Melon Splitter on his shoulder. "Sorry 'bout that guys I was just test'n ya. But when'vr yer ready to wrassle I'm game lady." Dakota gives the mutie lady a wink.
The Marshall
 GM, 1851 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 9 Nov 2014
at 13:17
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 203):

The woman sighed angrily and rolled her eyes. Righting the ladder, she said to the foreman, "c'mon, Bob. Let's finish up what we can. Those delegates are coming through any minute."
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 344 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sun 9 Nov 2014
at 13:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 204):

Schaeffer hadn't intervened in the situation. After all, he didn't know if they were legit or not any more than Dakota did. He said, "everyone, please put your weapons down. I'm sure this is a misunderstanding. Let's continue, ya?"

This seemed to calm the MPs.
Smoker Nix
 player, 648 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sun 9 Nov 2014
at 15:42
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker looks bemused by all this. Then he smiles at the one lady who stayed, and limps over to Dakota, looking up at the taller man.

"What was that all about? They were just doing their jobs, making the place a little nicer for everybody else... and you threaten them? It's just not on!"
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 247 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Mon 10 Nov 2014
at 05:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Well I did'nt like tha cut of their jib, and it was pretty funny when they all started runn'n 'round. 'Sides if they are gonna make some trouble, half of 'em won't go through wit it." Dakota says with a smile, "Lets see what trouble I can git in at the end o' this tunnel, Smoker." He says continuing down the tunnel with Melon Splitter at a low ready.
Smoker Nix
 player, 649 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Mon 10 Nov 2014
at 08:42
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker rolled his eyes. Clearly he and Dakota had radically different ideas of what made for fun. He sighed and began to limp down the other side of the tunnel, keeping his eyes peeled for anything untoward.
The Marshall
 GM, 1854 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 11 Nov 2014
at 11:53
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The remaining 2 maintenance personnel tried to clean up the dropped lightbulbs (they were rugged emergency lights so only a couple had broken) and put a few last lights up while there was time. The dog team, Dakota, Smoker, Schaeffer, Vundra and then Brother Edgar reached the end of the tunnel. A sign announced that this was Hellstromme Corporate Offices, now Junkyard's City Hall.

There didn't appear to be anything amiss, no one waited in ambush. The dog team made sure there was no one under the floor or in the walls.

Back at the hotel, they waited for the all-clear.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 345 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Tue 11 Nov 2014
at 11:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 209):

Making one last visual inspection of the tunnel corridor, Schaeffer sighed with relief.

"Is good. I am thinking the route is clear. Let's give signal and have them start moving delegates.|
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 251 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Tue 11 Nov 2014
at 14:23
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota is almost disapointed when they reach the end of the tunnel but he smiles anyway. "Agreed, when they start movin' down here do ya wanna do tha typical sandwhich formation. One team in tha front an' back?"
Peter Firecrow
 player, 530 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 11 Nov 2014
at 20:14
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter watched carefully after Simon's comment about a commotion in the tunnel. He wasn't sure what happened but it was over quickly it looked like. He held his position, trusting that his allies would be able to handle it...or let him and the others know if they couldn't.
The Marshall
 GM, 1855 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 13 Nov 2014
at 15:15
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 212):

The Junkyard Militia MPs deployed in force. Pairs were stationed down the tunnel every 20 feet. The delegates were let through accompanied in groups.

After about 10 minutes, Simon's group was asked to go.
Simon
 NPC, 60 posts
 Head Templar
Thu 13 Nov 2014
at 15:16
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 213):

"Thank you. Shall we?" With that, Simon started down the tunnel.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 346 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Thu 13 Nov 2014
at 15:17
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 211):

The Colonel looked at the Militia as it deployed in the tunnel.

"No. I think there are a hundred troops in there. Let us look around here in this buildinhg? If there's an attack, this is where it will come."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 531 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 13 Nov 2014
at 15:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter gave a nod to Simon, "Yep. Let's go. Jane, bring up the rear please?" He proceeded Simon into the tunnel. He was a bit on edge so he unslung the autoshotgun as he walked.
Vundra
 player, 53 posts
 Junker
Thu 13 Nov 2014
at 15:43
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra wanders toward the nearest window and begin to stare outside, not looking at anything in particular.
The Marshall
 GM, 1856 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 13 Nov 2014
at 15:49
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 217):

As they were underground, Vundra needed to climb up to the ground level. The windows were high up and narrow. This was not a glass-walled and chrome steel modernist building but solid, Stalin-esque with plenty of marble and concrete. A style called "brutalist".

Outside, he could see there were more Militia stationed in the streets surrounding City Hall.

City Hall, the old Hellstromme Industries HQ, was fortified. Robot gun turrets festooned the roof, Militia patrolled the perimeter.
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 252 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Thu 13 Nov 2014
at 15:52
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Roger, Kurt." Dakota says with a smirk as he checks to see if Melon Splitter is fully loaded, he then eyes the approaching militia with one eye. "Should we wait for tha others, or just me an' you sundance?"
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1082 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Thu 13 Nov 2014
at 19:27
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 213):

Rowan walks beside Simon ready to place her body between Simon and what ever danger may threaten them
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 347 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Fri 14 Nov 2014
at 03:57
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 219):

Schaeffer smiled. "I would say you, me, Smoker, Vundra, Brother Edgar."
Brother Edgar
 NPC, 182 posts
 Doomsayer
Fri 14 Nov 2014
at 03:58
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 221):

"Oh, I'm still here," replied the purple-robed Doomsayer. "I wouldn't miss when we freak the heck out of the cafeteria ladies next." He seemed more amused than anything.
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 253 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Fri 14 Nov 2014
at 04:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota turns to Brother Edgar and laughs "Hah, now thats the spirit. How else we gonna git tha ole tommyknock'r ta show! A'ight Colonel lets clear 'em out." Dakota says ready to finish this crazy job.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:26, Fri 14 Nov 2014.

Vundra
 player, 55 posts
 Junker
Fri 14 Nov 2014
at 11:21
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
As his mind wanders and then he heard someone mentioning spirit which seem to jolt something in Vundra head "Argh, Spirit?!? What spirit? Where?!"
Smoker Nix
 player, 650 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Fri 14 Nov 2014
at 13:24
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker looks round.

"Is Dakota seeing things again?"
The Marshall
 GM, 1858 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 15 Nov 2014
at 23:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
City Hall was a massive, fortified structure. No wonder back when it was the regional Hellstromme HQ, staff and security held out for weeks after the bombs fell (but did not destroy the domed Junkyard). The whole building was crawling with security, both Militia and armed City Hall security personnel.

Dakota, Smoker, Vundra and the others were allowed to wander the lower areas and ground floors. The basements held not just the usual utility and storage but hardened bunkers and fallout shelters. Ground and lower floors held offices and cafeterias. Upper floors were for executive offices, board rooms and conference rooms and an executive dining room. The upper floors were also where the meetings would take place, so access was restricted.

Downstairs, Simon and company made it down the corridor without incident. Security and Militia guided the delegates into elevators which took them to the upper floors. From there they were directed into designated areas, old conference rooms and cafeterias. There was a heavy security presence.
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 254 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Mon 17 Nov 2014
at 15:58
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Maybe I am, but what have ya been doing ta solve tha case, 'sides limpin' 'round and naysaying?" Dakota says to Smoker s shoulder's his rifle, disapointed that they found nothing, "But I got nothin' either, might as well git these talks ov'r with, so I can git back to bein' useful."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 532 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Mon 17 Nov 2014
at 16:16
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter kept himself moving forward, but stayed close to Simon as they moved. But by 'close', he was about 10ft away at most. He didn't want to crowd the Templar but he wanted to be close enough in case something ambushed them. He didn't think there was going to be an ambush in the tunnel but he stayed alert anyway.
Simon
 NPC, 61 posts
 Head Templar
Tue 18 Nov 2014
at 11:32
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 228):

Simon looked around as they emerged from the connecting tunnel.

"Well, that went surprisingly smoothly. I guess we should head upstairs. Elevators are that way."

He followed the other delegates. There were plenty of signs pointing out the elevators, plus armed security to guide them.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1083 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 18 Nov 2014
at 11:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Simon:
"Well, that went surprisingly smoothly. I guess we should head upstairs. Elevators are that way."

He followed the other delegates. There were plenty of signs pointing out the elevators, plus armed security to guide them.


Rowan looks worried, one more step closer to achieving a union of sorts, where was the opposition.

They would have to move soon or it would be to late for them to do so.
But she felt no threat in the areas she was capable of acting against

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:39, Tue 18 Nov 2014.

Trickster
 NPC, 38 posts
Tue 18 Nov 2014
at 11:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 230):

The coyote was very skittish to be around so many people. He refused to enter the elevator (and in fact would not enter any elevator).
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1084 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 18 Nov 2014
at 11:42
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Trickster:
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 230):

The coyote was very skittish to be around so many people. He refused to enter the elevator (and in fact would not enter any elevator).

Rowan Holds up her hand to stop the group and turns to trickster

To trickster "is there a threat or are you just scared of the box trickster"
Trickster
 NPC, 39 posts
Tue 18 Nov 2014
at 15:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 232):

The coyote whined.

It seemed like this was more a general dislike, not sensing a threat.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1085 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 18 Nov 2014
at 15:33
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Trickster:
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 232):

The coyote whined.

It seemed like this was more a general dislike, not sensing a threat.

 Rowan nods in understanding
"Understood friend we will walk the stairs".
Turns to the group, "sorry I misunderstood trickster he says no threat, only he does not like boxes"
Jane Guin
 player, 550 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 19 Nov 2014
at 14:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 234):

Jane could understand Trickster's dislike of elevators.  The "box" was easy to ambush people in.  The stairs were also but at least it gave a little more room to try and escape and survive.  Even running the gauntlet on stairs was easier than running around in circles in a box.

"Stairs it is then."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 533 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 19 Nov 2014
at 16:21
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter shook his head. "Let Rowan and Trickster take the stairs." He gave Jane and Rowan a meaningful look, and then glanced at Simon with a tilted head...hopefully conveying that with Simon's health being up and down so much it was likely better for him to take the elevator. Peter guided Simon towards the elevators.
Jane Guin
 player, 551 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 19 Nov 2014
at 17:04
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 236):

Jane nodded at Peter.  "That sounds good.  Split it up so if anybody is caught in a trap it's not everybody.  Plus they can do security detail for an exit route if needed.  So Simon, you and me in the box?"
Simon
 NPC, 62 posts
 Head Templar
Thu 20 Nov 2014
at 00:03
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane Guin:
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 236):

Jane nodded at Peter.  "That sounds good.  Split it up so if anybody is caught in a trap it's not everybody.  Plus they can do security detail for an exit route if needed.  So Simon, you and me in the box?"


Simon chuckled. "Don't forget Peter! That Gibson fellow seems to have wandered off. Yes, let's go."
The Marshall
 GM, 1859 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 20 Nov 2014
at 00:07
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Part of the posse took the elevators from the basement.

Rowan, Trickster and Jane took the stairs. The fire stairs from the basement led up into the five-story complex. They passed a pair of security guarding the ground floor fire exits. After their ID was examined they were allowed to continue up.

Everyone eventually met up on the fifth floor. The meeting was in the City Hall's chamber of deputies. It was formerly a conference room, lavishly appointed, and large enough to hold all fifty delegates.

Refreshments were served. Soon, Ike, Mayor of Junktown, gaveled the meeting to order.

More rounds of speechifying commenced.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:26, Sat 22 Nov 2014.

Samuel Gibson
 NPC, 11 posts
 Junker
Thu 20 Nov 2014
at 00:09
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Bored, Samuel sought out his friend, Brother Edgar.

"Yo, Bro. Let's hit the bar and catch up."
Brother Edgar
 NPC, 183 posts
 Doomsayer
Thu 20 Nov 2014
at 00:10
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Samuel Gibson (msg # 240):

Brother Edgar leaned over to Simon.

"Yes. I don't think there's a bar. But there's a cafeteria and a buffet table downstairs. Simon, Gibson has a radio. Contact us if needed."

With Simon's nod, he and Samuel left the conference room.
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 255 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Thu 20 Nov 2014
at 01:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota watches the delegates stream into the confrence room from his position just outside the doorway, he takes his mass of hair and begins to tie into a pony tail so that if trouble starts its out of his face. "I should git ma'self ah sweet mohawk when this mess is all done." He says to no one in particular as he pulls out his guitar and begins to strum a tune quietly singing a strange tune "Something is coming....into the edge of our awareness...can you feel it?...."
Vundra
 player, 56 posts
 Junker
Thu 20 Nov 2014
at 06:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra stands a few feet behind Dakota while he begins singing. Vundra is still not focused and his eyes are pointed to the ceiling and his fingers tapping the the nearby wall. As the song start he look down and decide that he dont want to be stuck in the room with the delegates, he can ask for the conclusion of the meeting from someone later. So he headed to the cafferteria to finish his little project he started last night.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1086 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Thu 20 Nov 2014
at 06:32
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The Marshall:
More rounds of speechifying commenced.

 Rowan with trickster fades to the corner, watching quietly
Smoker Nix
 player, 651 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 20 Nov 2014
at 08:49
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker also finds a wall to prop up as the talking begins.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 534 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 20 Nov 2014
at 16:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter gave Simon a small smile, and then it was gone. Riding in an elevator was still a bit of a treat. Then the gathering and the meeting and the speeches once more. Peter stayed silent but did take some of the refreshments as he listened and watched over Simon.
The Marshall
 GM, 1860 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 22 Nov 2014
at 23:52
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The meeting progressed past speeches, and the delegates broke up into smaller groups to talk and share concerns. This was the first time in over a decade that communities came together on any but a local level. If cooperation was going to happen it was going to start like this, simply meeting and talking.

Of the posse, Smoker, Peter, Jane, Rowan (and Trickster) were in the conference hall on the fifth floor. Dakota was outside in the corridor, while Vundra, Gibson and Brother Edgar secured the cafeteria.

Where Dakota was sitting outside the main door, he could see four heavily-armed MPs with him in the corridor. Two were stationed on either side of the doors, the other pair were patrolling up and down the hall, they paused, then entered the stairwell at the end of the hall.
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 258 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Sun 23 Nov 2014
at 02:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota put his guitar down disappointed at his lack of practice, "Well shit th't was some crap ole sing'ng!" He says with a laugh as he picks up his rifle, Melon Splitter, and tries to act like a professional security guard. "Ya guys heard any good jokes lately, or ya'll business?" Dakota asks one of the MPs.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1087 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sun 23 Nov 2014
at 17:56
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The meeting progressed past speeches, and the delegates broke up into smaller groups to talk and share concerns. This was the first time in over a decade that communities came together on any but a local level. If cooperation was going to happen it was going to start like this, simply meeting and talking.

 Of the posse, Smoker, Peter, Jane, Rowan (and Trickster) were in the conference hall on the fifth floor

Rowan watches committing to memory the people talking and those hanging back.
to see who will not talk and those who avoid certain groups
The Marshall
 GM, 1862 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 25 Nov 2014
at 12:00
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 248):

One of the MPs, a woman, cracked a smile. "You are terrible with that thing! Not all business, no. But no jokes... wait, what was that?"

Sensing something was amiss she unslung her assault rifle and started aiming it at the stairwell where the two other MPs disappeared a moment earlier. The 2 MPs had reappeared, but both were carrying HI Blazer SMGs, equipped with suppressors. These type weapons were only issued to Combine forces, definitely not Junkyard militia.

"Halt! Identify yourselves!"

Inside the conference room, Jane heard thumping and noise from overhead. It sounded like something was happening on the floor above them. Trickster also looked at the ceiling, whining.

Downstairs in the cafeteria, Vundra was engrossed in his project and didn't notice anything was amiss.
Smoker Nix
 player, 653 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 25 Nov 2014
at 13:53
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker, still propping the wall up, looked up incuriously. Someone being careless moving the furniture?
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 260 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Tue 25 Nov 2014
at 15:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota smiles like a fat kid in a candy store as the two out of place guards, "YER ALL GONNA FUCK'N DIE!" he yells as he smoothly drops into a crouching position and opens fire on the closest rouge guardsmen with Melon Splitter. He is going to guard this door until his dying breath, this is what Dakota has been waiting for since New Mexico.

OCC: If I can, I will also make an Overawe against both of those guards in addition to blasting one. I'll try to give covering fire so that the real MPs can get their shit together so to speak.

Actions: Hip Shooting my Winchester twice at each fake MP (if I can)
Win. M1894 LA Rifle    13/15 shots (after shooting), 2 Speed, 1 RoF, 4d8 DMG & 20 Range

This message was last edited by the player at 02:39, Sat 29 Nov 2014.

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 347 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Wed 3 Dec 2014
at 01:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 252):

Downstairs in the cafeteria, a worried-looking Schaeffer strode up to Vundra. He was dressed in his battlesuit, carrying his M4 but had an enormous rifle slung on his shoulder. He addressed Vundra, Gibson and Brother Edgar.

"Something is happening, I see some of the perimeter guards are missing. Come with me now, if there is an attack on the conference rooms we can't do anything about it here!"

Hurrying towards the stairwell entrance, he motioned for the others to follow.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 01:11, Wed 03 Dec 2014.

Brother Edgar
 NPC, 184 posts
 Doomsayer
Wed 3 Dec 2014
at 01:12
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 253):

"He's right, let's get moving!"

Robes billowing, Brother Edgar followed.
Samuel Gibson
 NPC, 12 posts
 Junker
Wed 3 Dec 2014
at 01:14
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 253):

"Hell yeah, let's get it on!"

Drawing his plasma pistol, he readied it for action. When powering up it gave off a noticeable hum that rose in pitch. The clear plastic weapon glowed green from within. "Ready to rock!"
The Marshall
 GM, 1874 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 3 Dec 2014
at 01:32
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The corridor was 60 feet long, with the double doors to the conference room at the halfway. The ends of the corridor, from Dakota's perspective, ended at two stairwells (1 at either end) left and right at T-junctions. (That is, if you face down the corridor towards either end you would see the stairwell exit in the middle of the T-junction.)

There were planters, chairs and benches on both sides, providing some minimal cover. There was also an empty executive boardroom across from the occupied one at his back (where the meeting was taking place).

The 2 Combine infiltrators quickly went down under the fire of Dakota and the two MPs near the conference entrance. As they slumped down, the fire doors were slammed open off their hinges, clanging off the corridor walls. In through the gaping hole stomped a metal monstrosity. It was a Combine automaton, a gleaming steel skeletal figure carrying a 20mm chain gun! The chain-gun spat fire, blowing away the 2 MPs. Their body armour didn't even slow the 20mm light armour-piercing rounds down. It then turned to face Dakota, infernal red eyes glowing as it locked on to target!

Inside the conference room, Jane gave a warning and indicated something was on the third floor above them. At that point they could hear the firing right outside the door, and then the ceiling blew downwards, filling the room with smoke and dust. Down dropped another automaton, this one bigger than the usual Combine terror unit, and more figured dropped down as well.

The conference room filled with billowing tear gas. There was mass confusion (and coughing) as the delegates scrambled for cover (mainly the solid board room tables), those that were allowed weapons drew them and prepared to resist.

OOC: Everyone's previous Quickness rolls stand, except for Dakota. He may roll again.
Vundra
 player, 65 posts
 Junker
Wed 3 Dec 2014
at 02:22
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra quickly puts all the parts back into the bag before grabbing his Flasher and connect the gun to his armor."Let hurry over the.the.then." he seems to be a little shaky.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 540 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 3 Dec 2014
at 05:25
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter put on his helmet quickly, then held up his arms to try and shield his eyes and face when the ceiling came down, also trying to cover Simon. He coughed several times after. "Simon! C'mon, cover, now!" He tried to get to and under one of the tables.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:26, Wed 03 Dec 2014.

Rowan Dawson
 player, 1089 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Wed 3 Dec 2014
at 06:25
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter Firecrow:
Peter put up his arms to try and shield his eyes and face when the ceiling came down, also trying to cover Simon. He coughed several times after. "Simon! C'mon, cover, now!" He tried to get to and under one of the tables.

Rowan Drops to cover and drags her gass mask on
Smoker Nix
 player, 654 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 3 Dec 2014
at 08:44
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker scampers towards Simon in an attempt to protect him, stumbling slightly as his bad leg complains at sudden activity.
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 273 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Wed 3 Dec 2014
at 15:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Well fuck," is all Dakota manages to get out of his mouth as the giant tin soldier crashes down from the ceiling. Suddenly he's not feeling so hot, staring at the abomination before him, did it just laugh when he started mowing those MPs down? Dakota then pushes the bile coming up from his  stomach and aims down the sights of his Winchester level-action, "Say hello ta hitler fer me asshole."

Win. M1894 LA Rifle    11/15 shots (after shooting), 2 Speed, 1 RoF, 4d8 DMG & 20 Range

Move: I'm going to try and get to the next closest cover, to close the distance with this thing.
Action 1: Making some guts rolls, failed that one
Action 2: Made my guts roll woot!
Action 3: Reserving this one for Dodge, if I still can. Otherwise it gets used up for shooting.
Action 4: Taking a Called shot for his chainguns Ammo belt. If either of these is not an option then I'm aiming for its Eyeballs.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:01, Thu 04 Dec 2014.

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 348 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Thu 4 Dec 2014
at 16:58
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Schaeffer led Vundra, Gibson and Brother Edgar up the stairs.

"Scheisse! Someone is jamming the radios. I am betting telecommunications are down as well."

They would reach the 2nd floor soon.

Col Schaeffer (4S)
M4 Carbine (30/30)
Mauser Sniper Rifle (5/5)
Actions: 2

Action 1: Pick up pace
Action 2: Sleeving

The Marshall
 GM, 1884 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Fri 5 Dec 2014
at 11:10
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
                                    Windows
   ____________________________________________________________________________
                  |                     1                           |
   _________      |       --------------------------                |     _____
            |     |      |  ------------------------                |    |
            |     |      |  |                                       |    |
            |     |      |  | Conference Room      (]  (O)          ]    |
            |     |      |  |                                       ]    |
            |     |      |  ------------------------                |    |
            |     |       --------------------------                |    |
            |     |                                                 |    |
            |     |_______________________====______________________|    |
         ___|        *    ##  #   *       3*   ##* ##  *                 |__
        | 2 H                                                    A          |
        |___H                                                             __|
            |      __##__*_____##_#__    ____##___##_*__*__              |
            |     |                  ====                  |  Elevators  |
            |     |            Empty Boardroom             |  =========  |

[--] = 2 Yards

## = Chairs, Benches
* = Planter

(O) = Hole in ceiling of meeting room

1 = Posse (Peter, Jane, Rowan, Smoker)/Simon
2 = Schaeffer, Vundra, Brother Edgar, Gibson
3 = Dakota

A = 1 Automaton w/12mm CG, 20mm GL.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:52, Sun 07 Dec 2014.

Vundra
 player, 68 posts
 Junker
Fri 5 Dec 2014
at 11:16
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra left his parts in the caferteria and follow right behind Kurt.

OOC :
Armor 90/90GR
Flasher 40/40GR
Plasma Pistol 15/15GR
2 Actions
Action 1: Pick up pace
Action 2: Sleeving

The Marshall
 GM, 1889 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 7 Dec 2014
at 14:35
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Turn 2

As the tear gas grenades go off, there is pandemonium. Rowan gets her mask on in time, and Peter was also able to pull down the gas filter face shield for his battlesuit helmet.

Jane, Smoker and Trickster are overcome with a coughing fit. They are not out of the fight but severely negatively impacted. Marshall's Note: -4 to all Actions during the combat. Simon and Fred the Librarian do not seem significantly affected. The other VIPs, including the Mayor and his guards, the Junkers and the Doomsayer seemed genuinely surprised at the turn events as they readied themselves for combat, coughing and blinded.

Coughing, Jane readied her Hellfire SAW as she crawled under the table. Fred joined her, but Simon drew his sword and stood his ground. He didn't look like he particularly wanted or needed protection, although he was getting it, anyways. Rowan cast Ghost Shield and moved to interpose herself between Simon the the hole in the ceiling where the attack was no doubt going to come.

There is a measure of pandemonium but not necessarily panic; all the Brainers in the room are veterans of countless skirmishes in the Wasted West since the war. Some fought in the war. Some drew their weapons, mostly pistols, while others began trying to smash the windows to let in air and/or escape. This did not work well as the armoured glass was double-pane. The militia that were in the room readied their rifles, opened both doors to the corridor and charged out. They were met with gunfire.

Outside in the corridor, Dakota saw the automaton scanning for targets and locking onto him. The 12mm chain-gun swung in his direction. A shaken Dakota's shots went wild, missing the ammo belt for the automaton's weapon. Even steadying his rifle on the planter in front of him as he crouched didn't help. He was aware of a commotion behind him as two milita exited the door to the conference room into the corridor. Calculating that new targets had appeared in its threat envelope the automaton paused and did not open fire with the chaingun.

Behind the automaton, more Black Hats in stolen militia armour and gas masks poured out of the stairwell, armed with HI Damnation assault rifles. Four darted right and began shooting on the move. The other four hung back behind the automaton and blazed away at the militia behind Dakota using their Damnations.

In the stairwell, Brother Edgar bolted ahead of Schaeffer as they climbed, drawing that odd-looking glowing green rod he'd used earlier. It began to flicker and glow with a strange hum. Schaeffer also drew his weapon and surged ahead of Edgar. Gibson and Vundra followed behind.

The automaton facing Dakota saw a nice group of targets and opted to fire its grenade launcher. It launched a 20mm grenade out of the box on its shoulder in a lazy arc. Dakota could see the black projectile approaching almost as if it was in slow motion!

Marshall's Note: Jane, Schaeffer and Edgar are all sleeving a card, as are Vundra, Dakota and probably Smoker. I assume Smoker is readying his FAL and Peter probably readied his autoshotgun.

At this point, Dakota can use his "hole" (sleeve) card to do a special kind of Dodge: "Hit the Dirt". This will allow him to dive through the now-open conference room door beside him. This will allow him to escape the grenade blasts. He still needs to make a Dodge roll, TN5! And then make a Vigor check to resist the effects of the Tear Gas inside the room.


                                    Windows
   ____________________________________________________________________________
                  |                     1       VIP                 |
   _________      |       --------------------------                |     _____
            |     |      |  ------------------------                |    |
            |     |      |  |                                      \|    |
            |     |      |  | Conference Room      (]  (O)               |
            |     |      |  |                                         2M |
            |     |      |  ------------------------               /|    |
            |     |       --------------------------                |    |
            |     |                              VIP                |    |
            |     |______________________\    /_____________________| 4B |
         ___|        *    ##  #   *           3*   ##* ##  *             |__
        | 2 H                               2M           A                  |
        |___H                                                    4B       __|
            |      __##__*_____##_#__    ____##___##_*__*__              |
            |     |                  ====                  |  Elevators  |
            |     |            Empty Boardroom             |  =========  |

[--] = 2 Yards

## = Chairs, Benches
* = Planter

(O) = Hole in ceiling of meeting room

1  =  Posse (Peter, Jane, Rowan, Smoker)/Simon
2  =  Schaeffer, Vundra, Brother Edgar, Gibson
3  =  Dakota

A  =  1 Automaton w/12mm CG, 20mm GL.
2M =  2 Junkyard Militia
4B =  4 Black Hat infiltrators

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:59, Sun 07 Dec 2014.

Smoker Nix
 player, 659 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Mon 8 Dec 2014
at 08:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker is indeed readying his FAL and positioning himself between Simon and the hole in the ceiling. If something comes down he'll open fire.
The Marshall
 GM, 1896 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 11 Dec 2014
at 10:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Beginning Turn 3

Out in the corridor there was a massive explosion as Dakota dove into the room. paintings fell off the wall, light fixtures were knocked down from the room. Dust and tear gas filled the large room.

Inside the conference room, efforts to break the armour glass windows were having no success. A few Wasters had readied their weapons and pointed them at the hole in the ceiling. Some had gone for the exit doors but were met with gunfire.

The posse huddled by Simon. He had drawn his sword and was also waiting. There was a flickering green shield around Rowan. Already she could feel a little of her energy being sapped to maintain the spell. Smoker coughed, Trickster tried to disappear.

Dakota landed inside the conference room badly, stunned by the explosion behind him.

Those coming up the stairs became aware that the corridor outside the metal fire doors was an unhealthy place to be as those doors blew open. Smoke and dust blew in their faces. They could just see the Automaton and some black hats down the corridor.

Marshall's Note: Vundra must make a Fear check, TN9

                                    Windows
   ____________________________________________________________________________
                  |                     1       VIP 1               |
   _________      |       --------------------------                |     _____
            |     |      |  ------------------------                |    |
            |     |      |  |                                      \|    |
            |     |      |  | Conference Room      (]  (O)               |
            |     |      |  |                                         2M |
            |     |      |  ------------------------               /|    |
            |     |       --------------------------                |    |
            |     |                         3    VIP 2              |    |
            |     |______________________\    /_____________________| 4B |
         ___|        *    ##  #   *            *   ##* ##  *             |__
        | 2                                              A                  |
        |___                                    4B                        __|
            |      __##__*_____##_#__    ____##___##_*__*__              |
            |     |                  ====                  |  Elevators  |
            |     |            Empty Boardroom             |  =========  |

[--] = 2 Yards

## = Chairs, Benches
* = Planter

(O) = Hole in ceiling of meeting room

1  =  Posse (Peter, Jane, Rowan, Smoker)/Simon
2  =  Schaeffer, Vundra, Brother Edgar, Gibson
3  =  Dakota

A  =  1 Automaton w/12mm CG, 20mm GL.
2M =  2 Junkyard Militia
4B =  4 Black Hat infiltrators

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:32, Thu 11 Dec 2014.

Samuel Gibson
 NPC, 13 posts
 Junker
Thu 11 Dec 2014
at 11:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 267):

Glimpsing the Automaton, Gibson went white. "Shit!" Turning, he fled back down the stairs.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 349 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Thu 11 Dec 2014
at 11:12
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 267):

Stopping below the top stair, Schaeffer peered through the dented metal reinforced doors. He made sure to keep as much out of sight as possible.

"Ach! Automaton. This is no good! I will switch to my Mauser."

Slinging the M4, he pulled a massive bolt-action sniper rifle out of its carry-bag.

"Take care of the foot soldiers, I may be able to crack it with this! Wait until my signal."

2 Actions: Ace Heart

1: Sling and ready weapon
2: Complicated talking

Still has a hole card.

Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 288 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Thu 11 Dec 2014
at 14:43
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota flies through the door and lands rough on the floor of the conference room, he tries to roll to his feet as he is landing but plows into a chair as a result right next to one of the VIPs. The gunslinger smiles dumbly at the VIP, "Might...wanna" he coughs a little from the tear gas "....stay....down." he says weakly still dazed from the grenade blast.

Actions: None!
Vundra
 player, 76 posts
 Junker
Fri 12 Dec 2014
at 14:33
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Readied to rush into action, Vundra ran up stair with confident but as he turn the corner and caught the sight of the automaton, "Heeeeeebie jeeeebeeies! Amazing it a freaking automaton! I can wait till I get to savage all the nice pa.pa.parts on the.the.that thing." Vundra stop in his track as he admire the automaton and think about all the cool thin he can make with it.
Ooc:no action

This message was last edited by the player at 14:35, Fri 12 Dec 2014.

The Marshall
 GM, 1915 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 18 Dec 2014
at 01:30
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 271):

Turn 3:

While Vundra was struck by the deadly beauty of the Automaton and Gibson fled in terror, Schaeffer and Brother Edgar prepared to attack. "Fire at the infiltrators when I target the Automaton!" Aiming his massive sniper rifle using open sights, Schaeffer fired as Brother Edgar raised his arms and green energy gathered between his hands.

The high-powered .338 Lapua Magnum bullet from Schaeffer's Mauser struck the Automaton in the side of the head, staggering it for a second but it recovered. No more than a dented scar was left on the skull casing. A green glowing ball of energy shot from between Brother Edgar's hands, detonating among the scattering Combine infiltrators in flash followed by a roiling green mushroom cloud!

Vundra couldn't see much in the corridor as the lights were blown out and it was now filled with smoke but he got a glimpse of the Automaton striding forward. The chrome steel endoskeleton seemingly largely unmarred but trailing a few wisps of smoke. However, it didn't blow them to Kingdom Come but instead ignored them, turned and entered the conference room.

Inside the conference room the door to the main corridor banged open. Inside strode a Combine automaton, standing over a prone Dakota. The delegates began to realise how deeply screwed they were! But the party was just getting started. A second Automaton armed with a 12mm chain-gun dropped down through the hole in the roof, landing on the debris-strewn carpet. It was followed by another, squatter construct, either another automaton or a cyborg, that landed beside it.

The "Drone" accompanying the Automatons had massive clamps instead of hands; one clutching a chain-sword and the other a power ram (used to punch through the floor). There was a 20mm autocannon in a swivel mount on its right armoured shoulder. On the left shoulder plate was a faint hammer-and-sickle symbol and unlike the chrome steel automatons, the drone was in bulky camouflage-pattern armour plating.

All three began concentrating their fire on the delegates belonging to the Junkers (both local and the Junker council, led by Doc Mitchell) and the Doomsayers (VIP 2, led by Larry Rexing). Mayor Turner, Raptor (the Sky Pirates leader) and their bodyguards flipped over a solid mahogany table and began firing at the Combine units using various small arms, with little noticeable effect. The racket in the room was deafening!

Marshall's Note: the rest of the Posse may act. Smoker and Jane are still under the effects of Tear Gas. Trickster has vanished.

                                    Windows
   ____________________________________________________________________________
                  |                     1       VIP 1               |
   _________      |       --------------------------                |     _____
            |     |      |  ------------------------                |    |
            |     |      |  |                                      \|    |
            |     | VIP3 |  | Conference Room      (]  (O)               |
            |     |      |  |                         D  A2              |
            |     |      |  ------------------------               /|    |
            |     |       --------------------------                |    |
            |     |                         3    VIP 2              |    |
            |     |______________________\ A1 /_____________________|4B  |
         ___|        *    ##  #   *            *   ##* ##  *             |__
        | 2                                                                 |
        |___                                                              __|
            |      __##__*_____##_#__    ____##___##_*__*__              |
            |     |                  ====                  |  Elevators  |
            |     |            Empty Boardroom             |  =========  |

[--] = 2 Yards

## = Chairs, Benches
* = Planter

(O) = Hole in ceiling of meeting room

1  =  Posse (Peter, Jane, Rowan, Smoker)/Simon, Fred
2  =  Schaeffer, Vundra, Brother Edgar, Gibson
3  =  Dakota

VIP 1 = Mayor Ike, Raptor (Sky Pirate delegation)
VIP 2 = Junkers, Doomsayer delegation
VIP 3 = Oil Town, other communities

A1 =  1 Automaton w/12mm CG, 20mm GL. x2
A2 =  1 Automaton w/12mm CG, 20mm GL. x2
D  =  Combine Drone
4B =  4 Black Hat infiltrators

Marshall's Note: There is a lot more to come, I will add to this when I get time!

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:40, Sun 28 Dec 2014.

Rowan Dawson
 player, 1094 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 11:25
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 272):

Rowan gulps and keeps her shielded self between Simon and the Automaton then looses the first of her skulls at it.

Keeping her cool Rowan uses her arcane blast and hurls the first skull against the Automaton nearest her.

Jack Clubs, 3 Actions

1: Cast Eldritch Blast
2: Aim
3: Throw

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:19, Sat 20 Dec 2014.

Peter Firecrow
 player, 549 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Fri 19 Dec 2014
at 17:33
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter flinched and crouched down as the ceiling came down a bit...and several enemies dropped in from above!! "Damnit, this is getting out of hand! We need to get out of here!"

He pulled the shotgun up and aimed at the automaton, then fired off 2 shots of slugs a little bit apart.
Jane Guin
 player, 555 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sat 20 Dec 2014
at 10:25
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 274):

NPC

Eyes burning, tears streaming down her face, Jane let her SAW hang from its chest harness for a moment. Instead of firing, she grabbed the edge of the mahogany table and tried to heave it up and on its side to provide some cover.

She strained, having difficulty moving the table. It was more solid than it looked! With a cry and a mighty heave she managed to flip the conference table onto its side!

6 Hearts: 2 Actions, 1 Saved Action

Action 1: try to lift table
Action 2: Actually flip table!

Smoker Nix
 player, 665 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sun 21 Dec 2014
at 15:00
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Taking a deep breath, Smoker wiped his eyes with the tail end of his shemagh, aimed his FAL and let loose at the automation.

OOC: 1 action to aim and 1 to fire.
The Marshall
 GM, 1933 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 23 Dec 2014
at 11:59
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Turn 3 Pt. 2

The slugs from Peter's autoshotgun slammed across the rear of the Automaton in a line: left arm, torso, right arm. Despite the burning in his eyes and coughing, Smoker's aim was true and the 7.62mm full metal jacket round slammed into the metal horror's lower back. These hits didn't seem to faze it. The machine kept hosing down the Doomsayers in front of it with its 12mm caseless chaingun.

The racket from its fire was deafening, as well as that from the 2nd Automaton (in the door standing over a prone Dakota). The massive combat drone's shoulder-mounted 20mm autocannon also pounded away, chopping down the Junker contingent. This was not a caseless weapon and its ejected spent brass clanged off the floor and walls.

Pulling something from her paramedic's bag Rowan drew back to throw a large round object. It burst into green flame and levitated above her hand, revealing it to be a flaming skull! With an expert flick of her arm it shot forward and detonated against the Automaton's head. This seemed to have a more profound effect and it staggered a few steps, then recovered. The chrome steel endo-skeleton was marred in a few places now, included the armoured skull casing. It began to turn around to engage the threat from behind!

Meanwhile, The Mayor's bodyguards and the Sky Pirates managed to overturn a couple tables and began returning fire with pistols and SMGs. This fire was largely ineffective against the heavily armoured targets. All by herself, Jane managed to flip a mahogany table to give the posse some cover. Simon still looked dazed. Fred was nowhere to be seen, likewise for Trickster. Seeing no way out that wasn't blocked by Automatons, the community and Convoy delegates decided to hunker down at the far end of the room under the tables. A couple were still trying to batter their way through the windows but were having no luck with the armoured glass.

Post Turn 4 Quickness Rolls, then Actions. Vundra and Dakota are recovered enough to take actions this turn. Vundra can't see a lot due to the smoke in the corridor, as well, there is lingering gas and now some smoke in the conference room.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:20, Tue 23 Dec 2014.

Rowan Dawson
 player, 1101 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 23 Dec 2014
at 15:14
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 277):

Rowan with her remaining move grabs Simon and dives for cover not waiting to see what her thrown scull has
The Marshall
 GM, 1941 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 28 Dec 2014
at 11:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 278):

The automaton standing above Dakota still gleamed but the chromed steel armoured finish of its endoskeleton was marred and scuffed. Schaeffer's bullet had left a scar on its armoured skull, while Brother Edgar's Nuke had added a few scorch marks. Nonetheless, it seemed to be fully operational.

With an alien machine intelligence, it contemplated the man at its feet for a split second. The barrel of the 12mm chaingun pointed at him for a split second. Then it swiveled away and began firing over him at the Junker Delegates from the Chamber (VIP2) that were in front of it. Obviously a primary target of some kind!


Automaton 1: Red Joker, 2 Actions

Action 1: Fire at VIP 2
Action 2: Sleeve a Card


                                    Windows
   ____________________________________________________________________________
                  |                     1       VIP 1               |
   _________      |       --------------------------                |     _____
            |     |      |  ------------------------                |    |
            |     |      |  |                                      \|    |
            |     | VIP3 |  | Conference Room      (]  (O)               |
            |     |      |  |                         D  A2              |
            |     |      |  ------------------------               /|    |
            |     |       --------------------------                |    |
            |     |                         3    VIP 2              |    |
            |     |______________________\ A1 /_____________________|4B  |
         ___|        *    ##  #   *            *   ##* ##  *             |__
        | 2                                                                 |
        |___                                                              __|
            |      __##__*_____##_#__    ____##___##_*__*__              |
            |     |                  ====                  |  Elevators  |
            |     |            Empty Boardroom             |  =========  |

|----| = 5 Yards

## = Chairs, Benches
* = Planter

(O) = Hole in ceiling of meeting room

1  =  Posse (Peter, Jane, Rowan, Smoker)/Simon, Fred
2  =  Schaeffer, Vundra, Brother Edgar, Gibson
3  =  Dakota

VIP 1 = Mayor Ike, Raptor (Sky Pirate delegation)
VIP 2 = Junkers (Chamber and Junkyard), Doomsayer delegation
VIP 3 = Oil Town, other community delegates

A1 =  1 Automaton w/12mm CG, 20mm GL
A2 =  1 Automaton w/12mm CG, 20mm GL
D  =  Combine Drone, 20mm Autocannon
4B =  4 Black Hat infiltrators (Assault Rifles)

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:48, Sun 28 Dec 2014.

Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 298 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Sun 28 Dec 2014
at 20:58
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota glares at the metal monster laying rounds of 12mm fire towards the junkers, he then back crawls away from the beast and tries to stand. Thankfully he was still holding his trusty rifle in his hands, he had been gripping them in fear this whole time the abomination of science stomped over him. His knuckles were white from the strength of his grip. "Hey fucker, ya missed me or what?" he says glaring at the Automaton, as he tries to stand.

Queen, 1 Action, 1 sleeve card

Action 1: Stand Up and trying a Sneak to the rear of A1, taking cover behind the heavy oak door.
Action 2: I will sleeve this one, for later.

This message was last edited by the player at 06:55, Mon 05 Jan 2015.

Rowan Dawson
 player, 1105 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Mon 29 Dec 2014
at 00:07
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 280):

Rowan in her position preps another skull and aims and throws it at the same Automation that she did before.

Ace Spade: 2 Actions

Action 1: Preps Skull
Action 2: Casts Eldritch Blast, Throws (at head)

Still holding an Action

The Marshall
 GM, 1946 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 29 Dec 2014
at 00:24
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 280):

The Automaton paused for a second, head swiveling to fix Dakota in the glare of its demonically bright red LED eyes.



"FUCK YOU ASSHOLE"

Ignoring Dakota, it turned away and went back to laying down fire.
Smoker Nix
 player, 669 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Mon 29 Dec 2014
at 13:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker takes a deep breath and aims his FAL at the automaton in the conference room's head.
Vundra
 player, 90 posts
 Junker
Mon 29 Dec 2014
at 13:30
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
As the Automatron move out of his sight, Vundra recover from his little daze and dash up to take cover behind the planter on the right side of the corridoor.

Action 1: Sleeve
Action 2: Move to plant pot on the right and crouch.

Peter Firecrow
 player, 557 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Mon 29 Dec 2014
at 16:56
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter let out a growl, being pained at 'shooting money' like this, but unloaded two more bursts from his autotshotgun at the same Automaton, trying to bring it down.

Action 1: Fire autoshotgun burst at Automaton A2.
Action 2: Fire autoshotgun burst at Automaton A2.

This message was last edited by the player at 00:41, Tue 30 Dec 2014.

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 350 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Fri 2 Jan 2015
at 13:05
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 284):

Seeing Vundra take off, Schaeffer decided to follow. He slung his sniper rifle and drew his carbine. Moving up to the corridor across from where Vundra was located he said, "if you say something we can cover you when you move! That was very brave, there's more to you than meets the eye. Just remember, we're here for you."

6 Hearts: 2 Actions (1 Held Action)

Running full move
Action 1: Sling sniper rifle and draw M4 Carbine
Action 2: Leadership check (Success w/no raises, +1 to Vundra shaking off previous Fear effect of -2)

Brother Edgar
 NPC, 185 posts
 Doomsayer
Fri 2 Jan 2015
at 13:34
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 286):

Following behind, Brother Edgar came up to where Vundra was. "Yes! Very brave, Vundra. I am afraid I don't have enough in me for another Nuke. Charging this sword is taking a lot of my power."

Come to think of it, the glowing green rod he held kind of did look (and sound) like a light-sabre. It crackled a little and hummed as he moved it back and forth. The handle was little more than black foam rubber wrapped around an end, secure by duct tape. He peered into the smoke ahead of them to try and see where the Black Hats were at the end of the corridor.

"Damn... can't see anyone or anything down there. Too much smoke and the water coming down!"

6 Hearts (2 Actions, 1 Held Card)

Running Full Move
Action 1: Cognition Check

This message was last edited by the player at 00:32, Sat 03 Jan 2015.

Jane Guin
 player, 565 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Fri 2 Jan 2015
at 22:01
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...

Tear gas!  Jane hated the shit but there wasn't anything she could do about it right now.  She brought her SAW up and braced it on the overturned table, deciding to aim for the head of the closest Automaton hoping that the hail of ammo would take it down.  Take the head off of any snake and they usually went down.  At least they went down long enough to finish the job.  Of course she would duck back down after she shot.  No since in giving them large targets.

Taking a deep breath she put her plan into action.





Jane actions:

Brace the SAW on overturned table that she's using for cover.
Aim to shoot the head and hoping her blazing trail of ammo will take out the automoton (using blue chips)
duck back down afterwards

The Marshall
 GM, 1960 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 6 Jan 2015
at 11:58
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In the corridor, the smoke began to clear. Vundra could see Black Hats at the end of the corridor, two on each side. Two were starting to advance (one on either side of the corridor) while two were holding their positions at the far end (again, one on either side). Creeping ahead, he could see the Automaton through the open door. It had its back to him but he realised that if it turned around, he would be exposed with no cover as he was on the far side of the corridor.

Inside the room, Dakota carefully made his way past the right side of the Automaton nearest him, slipping behind the opened heavy oak door. It did not react.

The other Automaton turned to focus its deadly attention on the posse, as they'd started to seriously damage it. They responded the only way they could think of, to fill it with lead and blow it to smithereens! There was a fiery splash of green as Rowan's skull slammed into its armoured brain case. Jane's SAW's red tracers slammed into its chest while the slugs from Peter's autoshotgun peppered its arms and legs. Squinting through the tears caused by the gas, Smoker centred the monstrosity's head in his sights and pulled the trigger of his FN FAL. The single 7.62x51mm full metal jacked round pierced into and through the metal casing.

The thing froze in its tracks, smoke pouring from the twin holes (front and back) in its head. It just stood there as a whine built up from inside it. As Jane ducked down after her own burst, she recognised the sound and realised there was something important to mention.

"There's a self-destruct! GET DOWN!"

Marshall's Note: The self-destruct is something Jane would know to mention! Blow your Hole cards (sleeved actions) to Dive for Cover behind the table. Jane is already in cover and doesn't need to use her held Action. Dakota as well, as I assume he's behind the door? I will post the other Automaton's and Drone's Actions after people post hitting the dirt.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:00, Tue 06 Jan 2015.

Smoker Nix
 player, 672 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 6 Jan 2015
at 12:00
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker wasted no time in diving for cover.

He'd been too close to something self-destructing before and his leg still reminded him of it. Not again, thank you...

This message was last edited by the player at 12:01, Tue 06 Jan 2015.

Peter Firecrow
 player, 564 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 6 Jan 2015
at 16:23
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter gave a small smile of victory, hollow though it might turn out to be, as the automaton stopped moving. They might actually survive this, though he had his doubts. Jane's shout started him, but he made sure he dove for cover and took her with him if she didn't move herself.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1109 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 6 Jan 2015
at 22:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter Firecrow:
Peter gave a small smile of victory, hollow though it might turn out to be, as the automaton stopped moving. They might actually survive this, though he had his doubts. Jane's shout started him, but he made sure he dove for cover and took her with him if she didn't move herself.

 Rowan dives for cover dragging Simon down with her if he has not already taken cover. " Goddess shield us" she prays
The Marshall
 GM, 1964 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Fri 9 Jan 2015
at 14:21
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
There was a pause, then an incredible explosion. Shrapnel shredded the walls and ceiling tiles, debris rained down on the carpets and tables. Water from the fire system began spraying everywhere as the lights blew out!

The door Dakota was hiding behind was carved oak and massive, but it was riddled in the blast. He felt an unbelievable pain and his vision exploded with an excruciating light that instantly collapsed into darkness.

Behind the table, Rowan's Ghost Shield enchantment protected her and Simon from damage. In front of her she saw, as if in slow motion, she saw deadly shrapnel zipping through the heavy oak table as if it were little more than paper! Beside her, Smoker felt something pluck at his trousers and armoured duster but felt no pain. Shrapnel rattled off Peter's IBA suit but didn't seem to penetrate, and using his body he shielded Jane from the blast and deadly fragments.

Out in the hallway, Vundra and the others were startled by a tremendous explosion from inside the conference room. There was a flash, smoke and debris exploded out the conference room door. Not just smoke and debris, he saw the Automaton that had just entered the room propelled back out the door by the force of the explosion inside! The Automaton rolled to a stop in the middle of the corridor beside Vundra. It looked to be in some distress, but he couldn't tell if it was knocked out or just momentarily non-functioning. Although the corridor was largely clear now, Vundra was unable to see into the conference room due to the heavy smoke and the automatic fire sprinklers going off.

                                    Windows
   ____________________________________________________________________________
                  |                     1       VIP 1               |
   _________      |       --------------------------                |     _____
            |     |      |  ------------------------                |    |
            |     |      |  |                                      \|    |
            |     | VIP3 |  | Conference Room      (]  (O)*              |
            |     |      |  |                       S D  *A2*            |
            |     |      |  ------------------------      *        /|    |
            |     |       --------------------------                |    |
            |     |                              VIP 2              |    |
            |     |______________________\    /3____________________|1B  |
         ___|        *    ##  #  2*            *   ##*1B## *             |__
        |                                 A1                                |
        |___                                                              __|
            |      __##__*_____##_#__    _4__##___##_*1B*__              |
            |     |                  ====                    |1B           |
            |     |                                        |  =========  |
            |     |                                        |  |X|X|X|X|  |

|----| = 5 Yards

## = Chairs, Benches
* = Planter

(O) = Hole in ceiling of meeting room

1  =  Posse (Peter, Jane, Rowan, Smoker)/Fred
2  =  Schaeffer, Brother Edgar
3  =  Dakota
4  =  Vundra
S  =  Simon

VIP 1 = Mayor Ike, Raptor (Sky Pirate delegation)
VIP 2 = Junkers (Chamber and Junkyard), Doomsayer delegation
VIP 3 = Oil Town, other community delegates

A1 =  1 Automaton w/12mm CG, 20mm GL
A2 =  Destroyed!
D  =  Combine Drone, 20mm Autocannon
1B =  Black Hat infiltrators (Assault Rifles)

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:35, Fri 09 Jan 2015.

Simon
 NPC, 63 posts
 Head Templar
Fri 9 Jan 2015
at 14:22
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 293):

There was a pause, then Rowan heard a yell beside her. A weak but defiant Simon, until now a passive participant in the battle, summoned his strength and machete in hand surged up from the floor!

"Stay down ya'all! I got this! Come on you motherfuckers! You're goin' down!"

With the last of his waning strength he vaulted over the table, out of everyone's view. There were tremendous clanging and clashing sounds, and the crackle of some fearsome energy weapon.

Simon (3 Actions)

Action 1: Get up, move to Drone
Action 2: Attack Drone
Action 2: Attack Drone

This message was last edited by the player at 14:38, Fri 09 Jan 2015.

Smoker Nix
 player, 676 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Fri 9 Jan 2015
at 14:54
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker jumped up, raising his face momentarily to let the sprinkler water wash the last of the tear gas out of his eyes, then brought the FN FAL up looking around for the next threat. He followed Simon, and joined him in attacking the drone.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1111 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Fri 9 Jan 2015
at 19:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker Nix:
Smoker jumped up, raising his face momentarily to let the sprinkler water wash the last of the tear gas out of his eyes, then brought the FN FAL up looking around for the next threat. He followed Simon, and joined him in attacking the drone.


Rowan Cursed and joined Simon as he went over the top of the table her given blades in either hand
The Marshall
 GM, 1973 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 10 Jan 2015
at 08:46
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
One Automaton had been taken out. Its self-destruct mechanism had triggered, and the explosion had taken out many of the defenders and blown the other surviving Automaton out the room back into the corridor.

The drone remained in the room. Unscathed by the explosion. Simon ordered the posse to stay put while he leaped over the table and commenced hacking at the combat drone with his machete. The combat drone seem unfazed by Simon's attack. Drawing the chain sword attached to its back it commenced parrying Simon's blows. One of Simon's attacks got through the Drone's defences but it didn't do more than scar the drone's heavy plate Dreadnaught armour. It was a stalemate in that the drone's counterattack didn't penetrate Simon's parries or his own suit of reinforced Infantry Body Armour.

Sparks flew with each blow that was traded.
Simon
 NPC, 64 posts
 Head Templar
Sat 10 Jan 2015
at 09:45
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 297):

Seeming to throw off his weakness further, Simon became a blur, a kind of human Cusinart! His machete flashed again and again, some blows were blocked and others striking the combat drone. more sparks and clanging... none of his mighty blows penetrated!

He glanced at the Posse, "I said to get down! You can't hurt him!"


Simon: Queen Spade (4 Actions, +1 for Celerity)

Action 1: Machete attack
Action 2: Machete attack
Action 3: Machete attack
Action 4: Machete attack
Action 5: Machete attack

Rowan Dawson
 player, 1112 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 10 Jan 2015
at 10:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Simon:
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 297):

Seeming to throw off his weakness further, Simon became a blur, a kind of human Cusinart! His machete flashed again and again, some blows were blocked and others striking the combat drone. more sparks and clanging... none of his mighty blows penetrated!

He glanced at the Posse, "I said to get down! You can't hurt him!"


I do not think Rowan is listening as she clears the top of the table alongside Simon.
Her oaths bind her and she can not let him face this on his own.
Rowan gets a couple of base balls out and energises them, ready for the next round

This message was last edited by the player at 10:55, Sun 11 Jan 2015.

Smoker Nix
 player, 677 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 10 Jan 2015
at 12:52
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker does listen to Simon and takes cover again, peering out to watch for an opportunity to shoot... anyway, his eyes are streaming too much to do anything useful!

2 actions: taking cover & and wiping face, 'sleeving' t'other card.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:00, Sat 10 Jan 2015.

Peter Firecrow
 player, 566 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Sat 10 Jan 2015
at 15:57
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter definitely heard the automaton destruction and he smiled a bit at that. He saw Simon leap out of hiding and charge the drone, but clearly heard the Templar's 'command' to stay down. He didn't like it, but he assumed Simon had a plan. He hoped so. They were supposed to be protecting Simon.

Peter: 1 action (King of Clubs).
Action 1: Sleeving card and staying in cover.

Vundra
 player, 95 posts
 Junker
Sun 11 Jan 2015
at 01:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra see the automatron get up close, shake off his awe and began his retreat but not before dropping a grenade. He then sprint back behind the corner and shouts " Black hats appraoching!". Then he draw his pistol?

OOC: 4 actions
1 Prime and throw the grenade.
run back to behind the corner and use sleeve card to dodge stuff?
2 holster the flash gun
3 draw the plasma pistol
4 sleeve?

This message was last edited by the player at 11:24, Sun 11 Jan 2015.

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 351 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Mon 12 Jan 2015
at 12:42
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Col Schaeffer was more than a little surprised at Vundra's maneuver. Seeing the Junker drop a grenade and then beat feet up the hall, he had a different idea.

He fired a long burst down the hall to cover Vundra's retreat, then yelled at Brother Edgar, "go through those doors right there!" After Brother Edgar opened the door and scrambled inside, he crossed the hall himself and dove into the board room.

1 Action:

Suppressing Fire, move through the door to the boardroom

Brother Edgar
 NPC, 186 posts
 Doomsayer
Mon 12 Jan 2015
at 12:53
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 303):

Hearing Schaeffer's command, Brother Edgar dove across the hall, past the downed Automaton, and through the boardroom doors. As he moved, he aimed his free hand palm-first down the hall and a green bolt of energy leaped from it.

1 Action:

Firing Atomic Blast
Moving across the hall

Jane Guin
 player, 567 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Mon 12 Jan 2015
at 14:13
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...

Jane cursed that she didn't have more effect on the blasted machine and stayed hunkered down until a more reasonable enemy appeared.  She wouldn't want to blast into the area that Simon was running since that wasn't her idea of protecting him.  Her luck today she'd hit him instead of her true target.

If any other targets showed up though, she knew she'd be ready.  She also knew that she needed to move to be closer to Ike and the Sky Pirates because sure as shootin nobody was just going to stay in the same position long.  Jane looked over at Peter and nodded in the direction that she was headed.  "Come on Peter.  Time to move to better location."

move down the table towards Ike and Sky Pirates , using table as cover.
Sleeve card

The Marshall
 GM, 1984 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 14 Jan 2015
at 00:04
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
                                    Windows
   ____________________________________________________________________________
                  |                     1       VIP 1               |
   _________      |       --------------------------                |     _____
            |     |      |  ------------------------                |    |
            |     |      |  |                                      \|    |
            |     | VIP3 |  | Conference Room      (]  (O)*              |
            |     |      |  |                       S D  *A2*            |
            |     |      |  ------------------------ A1   *        /|    |
            |     |       --------------------------                |    |
            |     |                              VIP 2              |    |
            |     |______________________\    /3____________________|1B  |
         ___|        *    ##  #   *            *   ##*1B## *             |__
        |                                 *                                 |
        |___                                                              __|
            |      __##__*_____##_#__    ____##___##_*1B*__              |
            |    4|                  ====                    |1B           |
            |     |                    2                   |  =========  |
            |     |                                        |  |X|X|X|X|  |

|----| = 5 Yards

## = Chairs, Benches
* = Planter

(O) = Hole in ceiling of meeting room

1  =  Posse (Peter, Jane, Smoker) plus Fred
2  =  Schaeffer, Brother Edgar
3  =  Dakota (Unconscious)
4  =  Vundra
S  =  Simon, Rowan

VIP 1 = Mayor Ike, Raptor (Sky Pirate delegation)
VIP 2 = Junkers (Chamber and Junkyard), Doomsayer delegation
VIP 3 = Oil Town, other community delegates

A1 =  1 Automaton w/12mm CG, 20mm GL
A2 =  Destroyed!
D  =  Combine Drone, 20mm Autocannon
1B =  Black Hat infiltrators (Assault Rifles)

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:38, Wed 14 Jan 2015.

Automaton 1
Wed 14 Jan 2015
at 09:24
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The surviving Automaton, seeing Vundra drop a grenade beside it, took a split second to decide its course of action. It calculated it would not have the time to grab the grenade and throw it after Vundra. Instead, it levered itself to its feet and strode off back the way it came, into the conference room, 12mm chain-gun searching for targets.

Automaton: 1 Action

Get up, move into conference room.

Combat Drone
Wed 14 Jan 2015
at 09:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Meanwhile, the Combat Drone detected Rowan attempting to attack it.

Like some infernal machine, it swung the roaring chain sword it held in its left claw at Rowan, trying to eviscerate her.

Then it powered up its shocker. The armoured body was immediately surrounded by a crackling blue nimbus of energy. A "shocker" was a pre-war anti-riot weapon deployed on vehicles, cyborgs and robots, stunning through electrical discharge. It then swung the power ram welded to its right claw at Simon to bring him down.

Combat Drone

Action 1: Attack Rowan (Hand to hand)
Action 2: Attack Simon (Hand to hand)

The Marshall
 GM, 1985 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 14 Jan 2015
at 09:45
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Schaeffer's covering fire seemed to be effective. No one gunned Vundra down as he beat feet back down the corridor. Perhaps the Black Hats were keeping their heads down?

The incendiary grenade exploded in a blossom of green Spook-Juice-fuelled fire in the middle of the corridor. But Vundra, Schaeffer, Brother Edgar, and indeed even the Automaton were no longer there to suffer the effects. The fire roared to the ceiling.

Inside the conference room, the posse saw the surviving Automaton enter from the corridor outside. Immediately followed by a green-tinged fireball that erupted through the door! Fire systems were already fully enagaged but more bells started going off.

Rowan's Eldritch Blasts hit the drone but had no effect. Likewise, her Ghost Shield deflected the roaring chain sword with a brilliant flash of arcane energy!

The Drone's power ram contacted Simon and although he was not damaged by the blow, the shocker seemed to be taking its toll.

Safe for the moment, Smoker and Peter saw Jane low-crawl away in the darkness and smoke, unsure where she was going. Moving down the line of overturned tables, Jane encountered Ike and Raptor and their bodyguards. The Mayor of Junktown and the leader of the Sky Pirates were alive, just barely, but unconscious. Their bodyguards had all perished in the explosion.
Smoker Nix
 player, 681 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 14 Jan 2015
at 12:05
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker will take aim at this other automaton that's coming into the conference room, aiming over the cover he's huddled behind. (He's also keeping half an eye on Simon & will switch action to going and hauling him back into cover if he gets into difficulties).
Combat Drone
Sat 17 Jan 2015
at 12:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Still pulsing with electricity, the Combat Drone feinted with its chain sword. Then it came up under Simon's guard with its other "hand" (claw) and clamped it around Simon's neck. There was a harsh crackling sound as the shocker engaged, and Simon stiffened in its grasp, then fell limp.

As if on command, the Combat Drone threw Simon's limp body over its shoulder and turned, lumbering for the east door (far right on the map). It moved with surprising speed, as fast or faster than a normal human.

Combat Drone (2 Actions)

1: Attack Simon
2: Grab Simon, run!

                                    Windows
   ____________________________________________________________________________
                  |                     1       VIP 1               |
   _________      |       --------------------------                |     _____
            |     |      |  ------------------------                |    |
            |     |      |  |                                      \|    |
            |     | VIP3 |  | Conference Room      (]  (O)               |
            |     |      |  |                       5                    |
            |     |      |  ------------------------ A1            /| DS |
            |     |       --------------------------                |    |
            |     |                              VIP 2              |    |
            |     |______________________\    /3____________________|1B  |
         ___|        *    ##  #   *            *   ##*1B## *             |__
        |                               FIRE!                               |
        |___                       (10yd radius)                          __|
            |      __##__*_____##_#__    ____##___##_*1B*__              |
            |    4|                  ====                    |1B           |
            |     |                    2                   |  =========  |
            |     |                                        |  |X|X|X|X|  |

|----| = 5 Yards

## = Chairs, Benches
* = Planter

(O) = Hole in ceiling of meeting room

1  =  Posse (Peter, Jane, Smoker) plus Fred
2  =  Schaeffer, Brother Edgar
3  =  Dakota (Unconscious)
4  =  Vundra
5  =  Rowan

VIP 1 = Mayor Ike, Raptor (Sky Pirate delegation)
VIP 2 = Junkers (Chamber and Junkyard), Doomsayer delegation
VIP 3 = Oil Town, other community delegates

A1 =  1 Automaton w/12mm CG, 20mm GL
A2 =  Destroyed!
DS  =  Combine Drone, 20mm Autocannon, with Simon
1B =  Black Hat infiltrators (Assault Rifles)

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:47, Sat 17 Jan 2015.

Vundra
 player, 108 posts
 Junker
Sat 17 Jan 2015
at 13:56
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra grins as he watches the beauty of the green flame. "This never get any less beautiful."
Smoker Nix
 player, 683 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 17 Jan 2015
at 15:46
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker climbs out from behind his cover and goes in pursuit of the drone that's making off with Simon.

If he can get a clear shot at the thing he will, but Simon's probably in the way.

OOC: 2 Actions - climb out and follow drone.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 569 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 22 Jan 2015
at 16:32
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter let out a growling sigh as he turned away from Jane and her promise of cover. He instead sprinted after the combat drone who had taken Simon. Because Simon was, after all, the reason that they were IN Junkyard and he was who they were hired to protect. He held the auto-shotgun at the ready, and thought that it was both lucky and bad that the drone was so large - at least Peter might be able to shoot at the thing without hitting Simon!!

2 actions
 Both: Moving after the drone as fast as he can!

Jane Guin
 player, 569 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sat 24 Jan 2015
at 16:23
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane knew that it would be hard enough to bring down the drone that was carrying Simon but almost impossible now that Peter was rushing after it.  Too many of the targets were on her side and the way she had been hitting (or not hitting) things didn't make it a good option for her.

She finished her movement to get to the Sky Pirate delegation and do an assessment.


2 actions
 move towards delegation and do assessment
 sleeve card

Rowan Dawson
 player, 1115 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 24 Jan 2015
at 18:46
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter Firecrow:
Peter let out a growling sigh as he turned away from Jane and her promise of cover. He instead sprinted after the combat drone who had taken Simon. Because Simon was, after all, the reason that they were IN Junkyard and he was who they were hired to protect. He held the auto-shotgun at the ready, and thought that it was both lucky and bad that the drone was so large - at least Peter might be able to shoot at the thing without hitting Simon!!

2 actions
 Both: Moving after the drone as fast as he can!


Rowan moves as fast she hopes as Peter in support of him
Automaton 1
Mon 26 Jan 2015
at 13:16
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The drone exited the room, carrying a stunned Simon.

Rowan, Peter and Smoker leaped up to follow, rushing through the room.

The remaining Automaton tracked them with its 12mm autocannon and opened fire, raking them with a long burst. It's metal arms locked, bracing the chattering heavy machinegun and absorbing the recoil.

Automaton 1, 2 Actions

Action 1: Fire 3x 3-round Bursts (ROF 9)
Action 2: Sleeve 2nd Action.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:16, Mon 26 Jan 2015.

Smoker Nix
 player, 688 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Mon 26 Jan 2015
at 15:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker weaved acrobatically to avoid incoming fire - absence of body beats presence of mind - ignoring a twinge from his bad leg, and continues in his pursuit of the drone with Simon.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 575 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Mon 26 Jan 2015
at 16:35
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter saw movement out of the corner of his eye as he sprinted after the drone. The automaton was tracking along and opened fire!! He dove forward into a roll to try and not only get through the door but also to avoid the gunfire headed his way!
The Marshall
 GM, 2000 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 29 Jan 2015
at 11:56
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The room was dark save for the green light from the flames of Vundra's incendiary grenade out in the hall, and the muzzle flashe of the Automaton's chaingun.

Rowan, Peter and Smoker ran through the hail of gunfire towards the one clear side hallway exit. They passed the smouldering remains of the other Automaton. Bullets whizz-cracked past them but they were largely missed. Rowan got hit a few times but her Spook Shield saved her!

Once out in the hall, they saw the Combat Drone carrying Simon lumbering quickly for the stairwell exit the Black Hats had come through. Speaking of the Black Hats, there were several of them waiting in the hall, to cover the Drone's retreat.

Behind the table, Jane worked on administering first aid to Raptor and Mayor Turner. Their bodyguards were dead but those two still clung to life. Despite her help, they looked to be in bad shape and getting worse. Their vitals were crashing, they needed professional medical assistance (someone like Rowan, a paramedic) soon or they would die.

Out in the other hall, Vundra did not see anything except the glorious billowing green glorious flame of his creation. The fire system was doing what it could to suppress it. He could see nothing else from his vantage point.

Marshall's Note: Updated map to come. Next Turn Quickness! As well, I will post bad guy actions first after init draws.

                                    Windows
   ____________________________________________________________________________
                  |                            5 VIP 1              |
   _________      |       --------------------------                |     _____
            |     |      |  ------------------------                |    |
            |     |      |  |                                      \|    |
            |     | VIP3 |  | Conference Room      (]  (O)               |
            |     |      |  |                                        A1  |
            |     |      |  ------------------------               /|    |
            |     |       --------------------------                | P  |
            |     |                              VIP 2              |    |
            |     |______________________\    /3____________________|2B  |
         ___|        *    ##  #   *            *   ##*  ## *             |__
        |                               FIRE!                          DS
        |___                       (10yd radius d8)                    2B __|
            |      __##__*_____##_#__    ____##___##_*__*__              |
            |    4|                  ====                  |             |
            |     |                    2                   |  =========  |
            |     |                                        |  |X|X|X|X|  |

|---------------| = 10 Yards

## = Chairs, Benches
* = Planter

(O) = Hole in ceiling of meeting room

1  =  Peter, Rowan, Smoker
2  =  Schaeffer, Brother Edgar
3  =  Dakota (Unconscious)
4  =  Vundra
5  =  Jane

VIP 1 = Mayor Ike, Raptor (Sky Pirate delegation)
VIP 2 = Junkers (Chamber and Junkyard), Doomsayer delegation
VIP 3 = Oil Town, other community delegates

A1 =  1 Automaton w/12mm CG, 20mm GL
A2 =  Destroyed!
DS =  Combine Drone, 20mm Autocannon, with Simon
2B =  Black Hat infiltrators (Assault Rifles)

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:15, Sun 01 Feb 2015.

Combat Drone
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 14:13
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Still carrying Simon, the Drone lumbered surprisingly quickly through the smoke-filled halls towards the stairwell exit doors. It would make it there in a few seconds at most. For what it was worth, the drone seemed to be ignoring the presence of the Posse members.

Combat Drone, Queen Diamond: 2 Actions

Action 1: Pick up the Pace

Action 2: Sleeving Card.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:29, Fri 30 Jan 2015.

Black Hats
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 14:35
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Combat Drone (msg # 321):

There was some shouting in the hall as the Black Hats dealt with the situation. The incentiary grenade went off, then the Drone appeared with the target. Then the Posse appeared.

"Fall back! Fall back! There's the Drone! Covering fire!"

Seeing Rowan, Smoker and Peter appear in the hallway, the two infiltrators in front of them turned their presumably-stolen D-22 rifles on the new arrivals.

The other two infiltrators that were out of sight on the other corner fell back, to add their firepower as well.


1 Action (1 Held Action)

All 4 will fire at Rowan, Peter and Smoker. Full autofire.


This message was last edited by the GM at 14:38, Fri 30 Jan 2015.

Automaton 1
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 14:44
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 320):

Seeing the Drone depart, with the posse in hot pursuit, the remaining Automaton fell back towards the door. It was slower than Rowan, Peter and Simon so it exited the conference room after them.

It came out of the room behind them. Stopping, it braced its 12mm MG and fired at them on full auto. The posse was caught in a cross-fire with the Black Hats in front of them and the Automaton behind. True, they were in each others' line of fire but the Black Hats probably couldn't damage the Automaton and the Automaton didn't care about hurting its own allies.

2 Actions

Action 1: Move into the corridor behind the Posse. Stop. Open fire.

Action 2: Fire some more!

Smoker Nix
 player, 691 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Fri 30 Jan 2015
at 14:56
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker will scurry after the drone as fast as he can, praying that his bad leg won't give out on him now.

OOC: 1 action: running after drone hopefully in enough of a zig-zag to evade incoming fire
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1117 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sun 1 Feb 2015
at 14:34
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
<quote Black Hats>
The other two infiltrators that were out of sight on the other corner fell back, to add their firepower as well.

Drop to cover and use the AK to enguage the black hats
Vundra
 player, 119 posts
 Junker
Mon 2 Feb 2015
at 15:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra vaguely see something moving at the other end of the corridoor so he move up to the bench and take a shot at it. A green bolt of energy fly though the smoke and water and cause a small flash somewhere down the corridoor.

OOC: Vundra rolled a 6 at TN 14 shooting, the bolt cause 8 damage to something.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 579 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 3 Feb 2015
at 16:44
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter heard the roar of gunfire and it seemed to be following him and heading his way. His eyes narrowed as he continued to move after the drone, though he wasn't really clear on what he intended to do if he actually got close enough.

1 Action: Move and Dodge.
The Marshall
 GM, 2015 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 8 Feb 2015
at 11:45
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In the conference room, Jane was dealing with a medical emergency and unaware that her comrades were rushing out into the corridor after the drone that was carrying Simon. The Automaton followed them and resumed firing.

The drone headed for the fire stairwell exit. Smoker and Peter followed, passing by the somewhat surprised surviving Black Hats in the hallway.

Rowan doubled back past the Automaton, heading for the corner of the corridor to the northeast. The Automaton that was following them stopped and tracked her with its chain-gun, firing as she zipped past it. Once behind the corner, she readied her AK to engage the Black Hats and leaned out to fire but 12mm bullets fired from the Automaton chewed up the corner. One bullet struck her and was deflected by her Ghost shield spell. A second penetrated the enchantment and struck her right arm. Hit, Rowan spun around and collapsed. Her vision shrunk down to a pinprick. She fought against passing out from shock and was unable to move. Unable to maintain her Ghost Shield spell the protection ceased.

In the stairwell Smoker and Peter glimpsed the back of the combat drone as it ran down the stairs, a lifeless Simon bouncing on its shoulder. Of more importance was the four Black Hats on the stairs above looking down at them, covering the door. There were two more infiltrators on the landing in front of them, setting up what looked like a pair of Claymore mines pointing towards the door, and a further four more on the stair below them rigging demo charges (canvas bags connected by lines of det-cord) against the stairwell walls.

The four that were covering the door opened fire on Smoker and Peter as they appeared. Near-miraculously, their sudden appearance coupled with their weaving (and a desire not to hit their own comrades) meant that neither one was struck, despite the storm of small arms directed at them! However, while they did survive, they were in a stairwell with ten Black Hats and a fleeing combat drone. There was also the four other Black Hats in the corridor above them who could also be showing up very soon!

Meanwhile, on the far side of the flames at the end of the corridor, Vundra thought he had a target as he could see dimly moving shapes. He had no idea that these could be his friends or enemies but he knew he needed to shoot. The flaming green plasma bolt screamed down the hallway leaving a trail of fire but where the shot hit was difficult to tell.

Marshall's Note: Time for New Quickness checks! Rowan is down, she cannot draw cards or act.

                                    Windows
   ____________________________________________________________________________
                  |                            5 VIP 1              |
   _________      |       --------------------------                |    R_____
            |     |      |  ------------------------                |    |
            |     |      |  |                                      \|    |
            |     | VIP3 |  | Conference Room      (]  (O)               |
            |     |      |  |                                        A1  |
            |     |      |  ------------------------               /|    |
            |     |       --------------------------                |    |
            |     |                              VIP 2              |    |
            |     |______________________\    /3____________________|4B  |
         ___|        *    ##  #   *            *   ##*  ## *             |__
        |                               FIRE!                            1DS|
        |___                       (10yd radius d6)                     10BH|
            |      __##__*_____##_#__    ____##___##_*__*__              |
            |    4|                  ====                  |             |
            |     |                    2                   |  =========  |
            |     |                                        |  |X|X|X|X|  |

|---------------| = 10 Yards

## = Chairs, Benches
* = Planter

(O) = Hole in ceiling of meeting room

1  =  Peter, Smoker in stairwell
2  =  Schaeffer, Brother Edgar
3  =  Dakota (Unconscious)
4  =  Vundra
5  =  Jane
R  =  Rowan (down but not unconscious)

VIP 1 = Mayor Ike, Raptor (Sky Pirate delegation)
VIP 2 = Junkers (Chamber and Junkyard), Doomsayer delegation
VIP 3 = Oil Town, other community delegates

A1 =  1 Automaton w/12mm CG, 20mm GL
A2 =  Destroyed!
DS =  Combine Drone, 20mm Autocannon, with Simon in stairwell
4B =  Black Hat infiltrators (Assault Rifles)
10B = 10x Black Hat infiltrators (stairwell)

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:52, Sun 08 Feb 2015.

Smoker Nix
 player, 696 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Mon 9 Feb 2015
at 08:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Barely pausing Smoker darted down the stairs weaving from side to side and praying that his dodgy leg wouldn't give out on him now...
Vundra
 player, 124 posts
 Junker
Mon 9 Feb 2015
at 23:18
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Seeing more movement through the hazevof the green fire, vundra squeeze another bolt into the fire.

Ooc:06:15, Tue 10 Feb 2015: Vundra rolled 7 using 3d8, keeping the highest dice only, rerolling max ((7,2,1)).

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:19, Mon 09 Feb 2015.

Peter Firecrow
 player, 584 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 10 Feb 2015
at 05:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter was moving fast and crouching low behind Smoker to dodge incoming fire as he moved into the stairwell. He wasn't consciously using his ally as a meat-shield, it just sort of happened that way. He cursed as the Black Hats got in their way. He doubted they could get to Simon at all now.

He let out a growl as he fired at and tried to kill the two enemies on the landing with him as he moved after the drone.

OOC: 3 actions.
 Action 1: Dodge.
 Action 2: Blasting Black Hat with shotgun.
 Action 3: Blasting 2nd Black Hat with shotgun and moving after drone.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:15, Wed 11 Feb 2015.

Combine Drone
Sat 14 Feb 2015
at 21:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The drone kept on, thundering down the stairs.

Reaching the ground floor landing the drone powered up its shocker and zapped Simon another time. It then dropped the unconscious Templar.

It wasn't clear where the drone was heading. Emergency stairwells like this led only to the outside, the better to evacuate people. There was no direct access to the basement or under levels from this short egress corridor.

Turning to meet Smoker and Peter, it powered up its chain-sword welded to one clamp, and swung its shoulder-mounted 20mm autocannon around to train it on its pursuers. To the other clamp was welded a power ram (used to batter through the floor and through walls) and it triggered the ram a couple times to make sure it was functioning. A synthetic voice crackled out of a speaker with a thick... Russian accent?

"CAPITALIST. PIGS. TIME. TO. DIE."

They could see the drone was definitelysomething left over from the War, not a new build from the Combine factories in Denver. The drone's outer casing was a scarred green camouflage pattern. The numbers and letters on the casing did not look to be English. In fact, there was a faint Red Star stenciled on the shoulder, indicating it was a piece of Soviet equipment.

Marshall's Note: in my alternative history timeline the Soviet Union either did not fall or was reestablished.

Combat Drone 8H (3 Actions)

Action 1: Running down stairs. Stop at ground floor, shock Simon.
Action 2: Drop Simon. Power up weapons.
Action 3: Hold Action.


This message was last edited by the GM at 21:06, Sat 14 Feb 2015.

Automaton
Sat 14 Feb 2015
at 21:42
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Combine Drone (msg # 333):

The automaton performed a visual check on Rowan and confirmed she was down. There was no more pursuit from inside the conference room.

It then moved down to the corridor outside the stairwell exit to provide covering fire. It swung around the barrel of its 12mm MG and sprayed a burst in Vundra's direction to keep his head down.

Automaton: 5D (1 Action)

Action 1: Fire at Vundra.

Jane Guin
 player, 573 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sat 14 Feb 2015
at 21:57
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane swore when she realized that she really Rowan to look at all these people.  She had done what she could to try and stabilize them and then noticed Rowan was down.  She'd have to talk to her about slowing down and letting Jane do the shooting and Rowan the healing.  Jane didn't like this role reversal.

Jane then noticed that Dakota was down (what?  is everybody down?) and gave a sigh as she started to move towards him to see if she could help.

3 actions
move towards Dakota
give aid if needed
shoot bad guys if needed
still has hold card?

Black Hats
Sat 14 Feb 2015
at 22:31
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 330):

Inside the stairwell, the half-dozen Black Hats setting the explosives and Claymores dove out of the way of Peter and Smoker. The four that were covering the others ceased firing to avoid shooting their comrades, instead, taking off after Peter and Smoker.

The four remaining Black Hat infiltrators moved into the stairwell as the last remaining Automaton covered them by shooting at Vundra.

Black Hats: 2C (1 Action)

Action 1: Dodge and move

This message was last updated by the GM at 22:31, Sat 14 Feb 2015.

The Marshall
 GM, 2031 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 14 Feb 2015
at 23:25
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The fire started by Vundra's incendiary grenade was finally starting to die down but there was still a lot of smoke obscuring the view down the corridor. Most of the former Hellstromme Industries building was very solidly built from non-flammable materials and was more like a fortress than a corporate office (now City Hall). But aside from the last of the flames the plants and benches were still on fire along with the bodies of the Black Hat infiltrators were also set on fire, along with their gear and weapons.

Vundra's plasma bolt streamed down the corridor leaving a green sparkly trail. It looked like it struck someone moving down there. Hopefully, it wasn't someone like Smoker or Peter, what were the odds a friend could be moving down there? With a shock he saw his personal nemsis, the Automaton again. It stomped into view at the end of the corridor, past the flames. It leveled its machine gun and fired back. Rounds zipped past Vundra chewing up the concrete walls, a round ricocheted off the planter that Vundra was hiding behind. If it hadn't been there the deadly bullet would have struck him in the chest!

In the stairwell, the Black Hats dove out of the way. Empty shells flying from his autoshotgun, Peter shot the two Black Hats in front of him that were setting the Claymores. One was struck in the chest, the other in the lower torso. They were propelled backwards by the slugs, rolling down the stairs. Not stopping, Smoker and Peter jumped over them as the four Black Hats setting C4 charges got the Hell out of their way! However, four Black Hats were in hot pursuit behind them as they charged down the stairs.

At the bottom of the stairs on the ground floor, they came up against the drone, waiting for them.

Inside the conference room, Jane quickly reached Dakota. She was able to tell he was alive but unconscious, but not much more. She tried to revive him, without success. Rowan was still dazed, barely conscious.

Marshall's Note: Time for New Quickness checks!

Rowan is still stunned but can now make a Recovery check. This is a Vigor check, TN 9. She is still Winded so even if she recovers from being Stunned her actions are limited.

Dakota is still unconscious.


                                    Windows
   ____________________________________________________________________________
                  |                              VIP 1              |
   _________      |       --------------------------                |    R_____
            |     |      |  ------------------------                |    |
            |     |      |  |                                      \|    |
            |     | VIP3 |  | Conference Room      (]  (O)               |
            |     |      |  |                                            |
            |     |      |  ------------------------               /|    |
            |     |       --------------------------                |    |
            |     |                            5 VIP 2              |    |
            |     |______________________\    /3____________________|    |
         ___|        *    ##  #   *            *   ##*  ## *             |__
        |                               FIRE!     A1                     1DS|
        |___                       (10yd radius d4)                     14BH|
            |      __##__*_____##_#__    ____##___##_*__*__              |
            |    4|                  ====                  |             |
            |     |                    2                   |  =========  |
            |     |                                        |  |X|X|X|X|  |

|---------------| = 10 Yards

## = Chairs, Benches
* = Planter

(O) = Hole in ceiling of meeting room

1  =  Peter, Smoker in stairwell
2  =  Schaeffer, Brother Edgar
3  =  Dakota (Unconscious)
4  =  Vundra
5  =  Jane
R  =  Rowan (down but not unconscious)

VIP 1 = Mayor Ike, Raptor (Sky Pirate delegation)
VIP 2 = Junkers (Chamber and Junkyard), Doomsayer delegation
VIP 3 = Oil Town, other community delegates

A1 =  1 Automaton w/12mm CG, 25mm GL
A2 =  Destroyed!
DS =  Combine Drone, 20mm Autocannon, with Simon in stairwell
4B =  Black Hat infiltrators (Assault Rifles)
14B = 14x Black Hat infiltrators (stairwell)

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:25, Sat 14 Feb 2015.

Black Hats
Sat 14 Feb 2015
at 23:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The black hats that were setting explosives kept their heads down, wondering what the hell was going on. The two that Peter shot were out.

Unfortunately, the four that were following Peter and Smoker down the stairs fired wildly at them as they ran.

The last four, at the top, took cover behind the doorway and began firing in Vundra's direction to suppress him.

Black Hats KS (1 Action)

6 BHs: Dodge/Recover

4 BHs at top of stairs: Fire at Vundra

4 BHs behind Smoker and Peter: Fire at them.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:38, Sat 14 Feb 2015.

Automaton
Sat 14 Feb 2015
at 23:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Moving backwards slowly towards the fire exit, the remaining Automaton fired a pair of 25mm HE grenades in Vundra's direction to take him out as he was clearly a threat.


Automaton 10C 2 Actions

Action 1: Move backwards and fire 25mm HE grenade
Action 2: Fire second 25mm HE grenade

Combine Drone
Sat 14 Feb 2015
at 23:45
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
It was time to finish this!

The drone lurched forward, swinging the massive power ram at Smoker and Peter.

Electrical current arced over the massive arm-mounted hydraulic pile driver!


Combine Drone AH (2 Actions)

Action 1: Move forward and strike Peter using power ram.
Action 2: Strike Smoker using power ram.

Vundra
 player, 128 posts
 Junker
Thu 19 Feb 2015
at 14:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Against his better judgement, Vundra start dashing forward and driving into the board room to the right.

Ooc:
action1: running and jumping into the room.
Action 2 sleeving

Smoker Nix
 player, 698 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 19 Feb 2015
at 14:48
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker scampers down the stairs attempting to evade all the incoming fire (which has, as everyone knows, the right of way) and virtually running into the drone as it turns to fight. He jinks frantically sideways to get away from its power ram... wondering in one part of his mind if he can grab Simon whilst the drone's mind is on other things and in another if his leg will stand up to all this dodging and when he'll end up on his backside.

OOC: Lots of dodging, basically.
Jane Guin
 player, 576 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sat 21 Feb 2015
at 01:23
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane looked up but couldn't see any enemies from her current position.  With Dakota down by her, she refused to give up on him.  She had lost enough friends and she was the only there right now.  She would have died before if somebody hadn't come to her aid so she had to do what she could.

"Hang in the Dakota."

Jane 3 actions:

medical aid on Dakoka x 3

Peter Firecrow
 player, 590 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Sun 22 Feb 2015
at 15:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter came down the stairs as the monstrous Drone dropped Simon and whirled to face them. As it attacked them both, Peter dropped down to his knees for a moment to slide under the power ram swing coming towards him. He sprang back up to his feet as he let loose a blast from the auto-shotgun. He then let go of the shotgun to let it swing down on the strap holding it to him.

"Smoker, get Simon out of here if you can!"

OOC: 3 Actions.
Action 1: Dodge!
Action 2: Fire shotgun and let it drop.
Action 3: Uh...Sleeve a card I think.

The Marshall
 GM, 2040 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 25 Feb 2015
at 09:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Seeking to distract the Combine Drone, Peter fired two bursts at the deadly machine. It was like shooting an armoured car or APC; even slugs simply didn't have the penetration to damage the massive armour. Consequently all that happened was he scarred the paint of its Dreadnaught armour.

In retaliation the Drone swung the chainsword welded it its right claw at Peter. With only the barest of luck Peter avoided being ripped apart by the whirring blade! Seeing an opening Smoker darted in and grabbed Simon from the ground next to the Drone, slinging him onto his shoulders. Turning to run for the ground floor exit door he felt a jolt and excruciating pain in his right wrist as something hit and grated on bone with a demonic howl. Simone fell from his nerveless grip as the world collapsed into a bright vortex of pain.

From his vantage point Peter saw the Drone flick its chainsword almost casually towards Smoker. There was a roar as the blade tore through Smoker's armoured duster sleeve like a Katana cutting through paper. a collapsing Smoker went down one way, Simon went down another and Smoker's severed right hand skittered a third way down the hall. Bright arterial blood sprayed out of the stump of his right arm where Smoker's hand was severed down near the wrist.

Upstairs outside the conference room, Rowan fought to remain conscious. Darkness threatened to close in. She could see the Black Hats firing full rock-and-roll down the other hall, and the Automaton launched a couple grenades in that direction for good measure.

Inside the conference room Jane saw Dakota was returning to consciousness while still displaying signs of severe shock. He was in possession of all his limbs although both legs were punctured by nasty wood splinters from the shattered oak door (that also saved his life) and the back of his head had a nasty gash in his scalp that bled freely down his back and pooled around him. As for Dakota he saw Jane leaning over him through a red haze of pain.

Marshall's Note: Both Dakota and Rowan are Winded, that is, in shock. No initiative is rolled for them and only simple actions are allowed. I'll decide if any attempted Action succeeds and how long it may take. Smoker must roll a Vigor check TN13 to remain conscious but either way, is in shock and bleeding out.

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:53, Wed 25 Feb 2015.

The Marshall
 GM, 2046 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 1 Mar 2015
at 13:46
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The fire in the corridor started by his incendiary grenade seemed to be dying down.

Jumping up and dashing through the smoke-filled corridor, Vundra saw multiple muzzle flashes up ahead and the thunder of full-autofire directed at him. Bullets whizzed by his head and ricochetted off the floor and walls.

Diving through the conference door he felt hands (Col. Schaeffer and Brother Edgar) grabbing and pulling him further inside. They pulled him out of direct line of the door as a pair of explosions went off. The explosions were curiously muffled as the door fragmented into wooden shards that narrowly missed them as they scrambled out of the way.

Marshall's Note: Jane, Vundra and Peter must roll for initiative. New Turn!
Drone
Sun 1 Mar 2015
at 14:31
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Seeing that Smoker was out of the fight, the drone activated its chain sword and advanced on Peter, seeking to disembowel him.

2 Actions

1 Attack w/Chainsword
2 Attack w/Chainsword

Automaton
Sun 1 Mar 2015
at 14:33
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The Automaton stood its ground, giving covering fire to the Black Hats as they withdrew to the stairwell.

The 12mm bullets whizzed by what remained of the conference room door near where Vundra lay.

2 Actions

1. Covering Fire down hallway
2. Covering Fire down hallway

Black Hats
Sun 1 Mar 2015
at 14:35
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Seeing the Automaton was giving them covering fire, the last remaining group of Black Hat infiltrators up stairs made their way to the stairwell. They passed by the others that were getting back to rigging demo charges to presumably bring the stairwell down.

As they went they too fired past the Automaton, adding to its volume of fire!

1 Action

1. Move/Fire

Vundra
 player, 139 posts
 Junker
Thu 5 Mar 2015
at 01:33
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra holster the plasma pistol and draw his flash gun again. " So what's the plan now?" He says as bullets whiz by outside the room.
OOC: 1 Holster pistol
2 Draw flash gun.

Brother Edgar
 NPC, 187 posts
 Doomsayer
Sun 8 Mar 2015
at 22:34
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 350):

Brother Edgar shook his head as he waved his glowing green rod.

"No, my friend. I am running low on power. Anyone have a nuclear reactor handy?"
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 352 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sun 8 Mar 2015
at 22:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 350):

"I have smoke grenades, I can also provide covering fire down the hall. We can try the door in the other end of the room, but I don't know where it goes and it's opposite the side with the corridor.

"First, what's going on out there?"


Slinging his sniper rifle he drew his M4 from his back, checking the magazine.


This message was last edited by the GM at 22:43, Sun 08 Mar 2015.

Vundra
 player, 141 posts
 Junker
Mon 9 Mar 2015
at 01:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"My gun power source is irradiated ghost rock, will that help if I shoot you?" Vundra says pointing at his pistol.
Brother Edgar
 NPC, 188 posts
 Doomsayer
Mon 9 Mar 2015
at 02:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 353):

Thinking for a second as he also looked at the weapon, the Doomsayer replied, "if it irradiates the target I imagine it will help. At least in that sense but all the same, it'll still cause tissue damage. Could be like "the operation was a success but the patient died", right?"
Vundra
 player, 142 posts
 Junker
Mon 9 Mar 2015
at 02:22
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
" You can open the chamber so radiation escape? I dont knwo if that will be good for other though.." Vundra sound worry.
Simon
 NPC, 65 posts
 Head Templar
Mon 9 Mar 2015
at 09:53
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Things were looking grim down where Peter faced off against the Drone.

Like Simon, Smoker was down. He was unconscious and missing a hand. The Drone advanced on Peter, singlemindedly raising its roaring chainsword. Blood spattered the blade under the whirring chain.

As the Drone stepped over Simon, the Templar grand-Master's eyes snapped open. Rolling to the side he sprang to he feet and drew his sword. "Peter! Grab Smoker and GO! Through the outside door!"

Simon's blade flashed, sparking off the chainsword as the Drone furiously parried.

"Get Smoker and go, I'll hold him off!"

2 Actions:

1: Grab Sword and Stand Up
2: Attack Drone

Peter Firecrow
 player, 595 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 10 Mar 2015
at 04:27
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter's narrowed eyes as he looked into the mechanical face of death widened suddenly as Simon seemed to come back to life suddenly! "Only if you're right behind us!" But he did as he was bid by the Templar Master.

OOC: 2 actions.
Action 1: Yanking/dragging Smoker away from the Drone (taking the hit for him if needs be).
Action 2: Helping Smoker down the stairs, possibly by dragging him down them as fast as he can.

The Marshall
 GM, 2054 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 12 Mar 2015
at 00:04
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
As Simon again did battle with the drone, Peter was able to grab Smoker and drag him towards the stairwell exit, then try and lift him onto his shoulders. This didn't work so he continued dragging him.

He saw Simon clashing with the drone. The drone again was surrounded by blue electrical discharge of the "shocker", the full-body stun weapon that had stunned Simon before.

The exit opened out into an alcove in the side of the building. There was a plaza with a decent amount of cover (planters, benches, landscaping) as well as bunkers and traffic barriers added after the war. Peter could tell there were people behind him but was a little too occupied to check over his shoulder!

Because he was dragging Smoker, Peter was facing backwards. He saw as the door closed behind them the drone was missing an arm... but the other arm with chainsword had speared Simon in  his chest. Blood sprayed on the floor and ceiling. But Simon was still fighting!

Then the fire door closed behind them.

Peter heard a commanding voice behind him bark, "Junkyard Militia! Drop your weapons and get on the fucking ground! Now!"

Upstairs, the firing died down in the corridor. Vundra was too busy having a conversation to act, which was probably just as well due to the lack of good options. Brother Edgar replied, "ah... releasing radiation from the firing chamber will probably work but contaminate the weapon. And the room. Probably this entire floor. I can use my powers to decontaminate the area but that defeats the purpose of a recharge! Better not."

Dazed by a whiff of the remaining tear gas, Jane just stayed with Dakota. For his part, Dakota was now conscious but unable to move much. Rowan was able to start moving again and noticed her arm was wounded but not seriously. Bullet trauma was funny that way; sometimes people could function with serious damage and other times keel over from "flesh wounds". Even so-called flesh wounds could result in nerve and tissue damage that could impair muscle function for a long time.
Vundra
 player, 145 posts
 Junker
Thu 12 Mar 2015
at 12:31
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Well I think the militia is here, our problem should be taken care of. Running around isnt really my thing, I prefer the cockpit of my plane." Vundra holster his gun and peek out the room.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 596 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 12 Mar 2015
at 17:22
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter stopped and stiffened at the authoritative voices calling out behind him, then let out a long sigh. He let go of Smoker, since Smoker was already on the ground. He then carefully unslung the shotgun and set it down. He followed to the ground as well as he pulled out his pistols and set them down.

"Templar Simon is inside in the stairwell, facing down Black Hats and a Combat Drone. Please send some men in to help him at least."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:33, Sun 15 Mar 2015.

Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 315 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Fri 13 Mar 2015
at 20:34
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota's eyes lazily open to stare up at some sort of warrior-goddess, he coughs up some blood and sputters out "I ain't ready fer Valhalla yet, don't take me yet Valkyrie!" He coughs again "My friends...still...aww shit Jane? Hows ma gitar?" He tries to move to see the battlefield  but his body won't respond. "How long was I out..."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1122 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 14 Mar 2015
at 12:32
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 358):

Rowan groans and sits up, she checks her self quickly then calls out.

"Sound off people who needs medical attention and where in the hell of the wasteland is Simon"
Jane Guin
 player, 580 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sat 14 Mar 2015
at 17:33
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane shook her head as Dakota discovered she was not a Valkyrie.  "Disappointed Dakota?  I've escorted plenty of people to Vahalla.  You're onry enough not to make that trip yet.

Jane put a hand on Dakota to keep him where he was and not lose more blood and then lifted up her head.  "Rowan, Dakota is bad.  He thought I was a Valkyrie.  How are the others?"
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1123 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sun 15 Mar 2015
at 10:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane Guin:
Jane put a hand on Dakota to keep him where he was and not lose more blood and then lifted up her head.  "Rowan, Dakota is bad.  He thought I was a Valkyrie.  How are the others?"


Rowan groans and grabs her medical bag and heads for the sound of Jane's voice to treat Dakota.
If she has the time left in this move she uses a healing pad on him
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 353 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sun 15 Mar 2015
at 12:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 359):

Schaeffer grabbed Vundra as he began to peek out the shattered remains of the door.

"Wait a moment, my friend. If they are waiting, they could take your head off!"

He pulled the pin on the smoke grenade he held in his hand, then tossed it through the open doorway into the hall on an angle. The canister bounced off the wall down the hall, then began to sputter and fill the corridor with white smoke. "Give it a few seconds to deploy, ya? As well, do you have a mirror? Get down low and use that to look, with safety."

Schaeffer offered him his own mirror to use if Vundra didn't have one of his own.
The Marshall
 GM, 2057 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 15 Mar 2015
at 12:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Examining her own wounds, Rowan realised that while she'd been shot in the arm and it was serious, she was not going to die. The bone wasn't broken so she immobilised it with a sling from her medical bag.

She noted the Automaton and Black Hats seemed to be gone. This end of the corridor seemed to be filling with white smoke so it was difficult to tell!

Getting to Dakota she realised he had heavy wounds to both legs, and his head. The leg wounds were splinters from the solid oak door. The blast that shattered the door must have thrown him against the wall. He didn't have a skull fracture but was still bleeding profusely.

With Jane helping, Rowan applied a poultice to Dakota's head. A still hurting Dakota felt some kind of moist cloth being wrapped around his head and instantly the pounding in his skull ceased! The pagan magic of the poultice immediately healed his head wound completely, but his legs still remained severely injured.

Around them, the surviving delegates began to peek out where they'd taken cover. The main casualties seemed to be the Junker and Doomsayer delegations. The Mayor and the commander of the Sky Pirates seemed down for the count.

Marshall's Note: Dakota has a Heavy wound to both the right and left legs. Rowan has a Serious wound to her right arm.

Outside, Peter got down. The Junkyard militia checked his ID to determine they were VIP bodyguards with the Templar delegation, then helped get him and Smoker to an aid area that was treating casualties. A medic had several wounded people under treatment around the corner of the building. Sirens wailed close by, and coming closer. An army truck pulled up and armed militia began jumping out the back and taking battle positions facing the building. Heavily equipped assault troopers began forming up to make an entry.

An officer began questioning Peter. "What's going on in there? All our communications are down. Is the Mayor, Ike, safe? How many attackers are there? What are they armed with, who are they and have they taken hostages? Where are they now?"
Vundra
 player, 146 posts
 Junker
Sun 15 Mar 2015
at 13:39
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
" Ahhh Do you think it is safe to cross to the other room to see if the delegates are safe?" Vundra asks the COL.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 354 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sun 15 Mar 2015
at 13:44
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 367):

"Who knows? I'll give you covering fire." He leaned out and began firing down the corridor into the smoke.

No one seemed to be firing back.
Vundra
 player, 147 posts
 Junker
Sun 15 Mar 2015
at 14:05
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra think that the Col is paraniod, but who can judge him? He drove across the hall and roll into the room across the way point his weapon at ...... nothing as he see no enermy in the room.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 597 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Sun 15 Mar 2015
at 16:33
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter waved away help for himself but made sure Smoker was being attended to. "I'm fine. The Combine's Black Hat troops are all over the place in there with support by several automatons and a combat drone." He gave them as much information as he could recall but said things might have changed since he left. He grabbed the officer's shoulder. "Please. You have to get in there and rescue the people. Some of them are being dragged off by the Combine forces."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1124 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sun 15 Mar 2015
at 18:04
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
<quote The Marshall>

Okay Rowan uses the second poultice on her self then looks for Simon to check him over
The Marshall
 GM, 2058 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 17 Mar 2015
at 12:46
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 371):

The tingling of the Goddess's blessing was immediate. Rowan soon felt better as the poultice healed her arm wound. Not even a scar was left behind.

Perhaps the Colonel was being paranoid, but this time no hail of gunfire met Vundra as he dashed across the corridor. Covering fire and a smoke screen could work wonders!

Outside, the militia SWAT Captain began deploying his men by the entry point, the stairwell where Peter had dragged Smoker out of. From inside came some kind of jackhammering, like when the Drone punched through the floor.

The Captain got off the radio, looking worried. "Thanks for warning us about the Drone. Small arms won't hurt it, it would take us apart. We're waiting for a powered mech suit to come as backup. It has an anti-tank rifle, that should work."

Nearby, Smoker was feeling no pain as the Morphine took hold. It looked like he was going to be all right. With any luck, they would soon find his hand and reattach it, or maybe replace it with a bionic one!
Peter Firecrow
 player, 599 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 17 Mar 2015
at 15:52
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter nodded as he was allowed to stand up (presumably). "I would not want to send anyone into that unprepared. It would just be a meat grinder otherwise." He hesitated but then spoke on. "I need to get going back in there. The rest of my...allies are still inside, as is Simon, our charge. Please help my friend I dragged out if you can. He goes by the name Smoker."
Smoker Nix
 player, 709 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 17 Mar 2015
at 16:12
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker meanwhile is blinking rather owlishly and trying to remember just what happened.
SWAT Captain
Tue 17 Mar 2015
at 23:25
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 373):

The SWAT Captain nodded. "OK. You can come in with the assaulters. The powered troopers should be here any minute. That jackhammer sound... did the drone or the automatons have some kind of power tools attached?"

"Does any of your group have a radio? We can try and contact them if the jamming is stopped. Looks like your friend is coming out of it. We'll, ah, look for his hand. If we find it in the next few minutes, we can see if we can reattach it."
The Marshall
 GM, 2061 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 17 Mar 2015
at 23:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Everyone inside and out the building could hear the jackhammering in the stairwell for about a half-minuted, then it stopped.

Inside, the posse heard soldiers approaching from the west stairwell. Col Schaeffer verified they were a section of Junkyard militia that had fought their way through other Black Hat infiltrators in another part of the building.

They quickly determined that the stairwell the Black Hats had used to escape was heavily booby-trapped and rigged to blow at any second! (Probably to make direct pursuit impossible.)

Outside, a deuce-and-a-half (army 2-1/2 ton truck) pulled up. Standing on the flatbed were two suits of powered armour. These were very rare but powerful one-man (or woman) mecha combat units, loaded down with firepower. These were a little stripped down as they needed to operate inside a building. Both were armed with ACRs, a short-barreled 20mm light assault cannon with an underbarrel-mounted 5.56mm assault rifle. The ACR wasn't as heavy an anti-tank weapon as they usually carried as it was actually designed for infantry use. But the 20mm LAG could probably handle an automaton or drone, especially in the confines of a building.




This message was last edited by the GM at 23:39, Tue 17 Mar 2015.

The Marshall
 GM, 2062 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 23 Mar 2015
at 13:15
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Within seconds the jackhammering stopped.

The assault troopers "stacked up" behind the powered armour, ready to follow them in.

Suddenly, there was a series of explosions from inside the stairwell! Obviously, the demo charges that the Black Hats were laying in the stairwell had been triggered. Smoke and clouds of grey dust billowed out of every nearby door and window. Even the tough armoured glass closest to the stairwell where the explosives had gone off shattered.

"Holy shit! What was that?" exclaimed practically everyone inside and outside the building.

Upstairs, militia reinforcements finally succeeded in pushing through to the boardroom. All the posse members had regained consciousness, and were as surprised as anyone at the nearby explosions. Militia and MPs secured the conference room, medics quickly stabilised and revived Mayor Ike and Raptor. The other delegates were seen to as well.

It seemed this was a targeted assassination attempt. The Junkyard and Chamber Junker delegations were wiped out, as were the Doomsayers. Other delegates had taken some fire, one was killed and there were over a dozen wounded but most would likely survive after getting them to hospital.
Ike Turner
 NPC, 3 posts
 Mayor of Junkyard
Mon 23 Mar 2015
at 13:17
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 377):

Still being tended to by medics, Mayor Ike motioned Jane over.

"Thanks... for the help. If it weren't for you... Raptor and I would have likely bled out. And your Posse did a good job in fighting off the Black Hats. But where's Simon?"
Jane Guin
 player, 582 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Mon 23 Mar 2015
at 14:35
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Ike Turner (msg # 378):

Jane walked over to the Mayor and patted his shoulder.  "I did what I could.  We fight were we can and how we can but sometimes it isn't enough."  When he asked about Simon, Jane looked over to where the explosives had gone off and then back down.  Had Simon been there when it was triggered?  She doubted it.  The Black Hats used that more for their escape.  If they had wanted to kill Simon they had plenty of opportunities to do so.  So why did they want him so bad?  She had a sinking feeling that she would be in the group finding out.  Finally she looked back down at Mayor Ike.  "We couldn't get to Simon in time and they took him.  The explosions were probably done to cover their escape.  I'm sure he's still alive and no doubt a rescue will need to be done.  You just get better.  They need you."

Since Jane was a Black Hat, it was uncomfortable to deal with the after math of them.  To see them again coming in and laying waste in one of their raids always made her glad that she had gotten out.  It also reinforced her resolve that they needed to be fought and taken care of before it got too far out of hand.  Now here was the Mayor thanking her for doing her job even though part of it wasn't successful since they had still gotten Simon.  Yep, it was time to go join up with her crazy injun and the rest of her friends.

Jane gave the Mayor a small nod.  "You rest up because you'll need it.  I need to go and talk to my group and see what our next step will be so if you'll excuse me."
Vundra
 player, 148 posts
 Junker
Mon 23 Mar 2015
at 14:39
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Seeing the the building is pretty safe, Vundra quickly head down stair to grab his tool bag and half finish project, not wanting to risk them getting destroy by random passerby. After grabbing his stuff , Vundra come back to the board room for the meeting.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 355 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Wed 25 Mar 2015
at 10:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 379):

Carbine in hand, Schaeffer checked out the stairwell. There was a pall of smoke and concrete dust in the corridor and he exercised caution. "Edgar, please police up some of this gear from the dead Black Hats. Look for non-Combine equipment and weapons, those should be safe, as well as gas masks and such."

He entered the trashed conference room and strode over to Mayor Ike. "Ya. The infiltrators collapsed the stairwell to prevent pursuit. We will not follow them that way.

"Jane, please stay up here for the moment. The bodies of the Black Hats are booby-trapped to explode if there are no friendly "headbanger" chips nearby. Jane has such an implant, that is likely why the bodies haven't gone off yet. Mister Mayor, please have some EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) experts deal with the bodies?"

Excusing himself he went to where Rowan had finished healing Dakota. "I am glad to see you are mostly unhurt, my love. There are others besides our friend Dakota who could use the help, ya? And how many healing poultices do you still possess?"
Ike Turner
 NPC, 4 posts
 Mayor of Junkyard
Wed 25 Mar 2015
at 10:04
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 379):

The wounded man put a hand on Jane's arm. "Don't worry, ma'am. I have a feeling if his body wasn't outside, Simon is still alive. You and your friends did a fine job."
The Marshall
 GM, 2065 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 25 Mar 2015
at 10:16
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Radio communications were quickly restored.

Those upstairs got word that Peter and Smoker were alive. Peter was unharmed but Smoker would be going to hospital due to his injuries.

Ambulances pulled up outside to start transporting the wounded to hospital.

The medic treating Smoker helped secure him to a stretcher with an IV drip.

"Sorry, pal. Looks like your hand is gone under a ton of concrete.

"You are not out of luck. If someone will front you the cash, the "chop-docs" can replace your hand with a prewar bionic prosthetic or a Junker cyber-hand.

"The prosthetic is rare tech, but it looks and feels like a real hand. Quick to heal.

"The Junker hand could have any number of features and modifications. But it takes time to integrate the controls with your nervous system and it, well, looks like Junker tech.

"You don't have to decide this minute, and of course it depends on your budget."

Smoker Nix
 player, 712 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 25 Mar 2015
at 14:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Uh... well..." said Smoker who found his thoughts a bit muddy and blurred at the moment.

"I guess... I need to see what's available, what can be done..."
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 318 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Wed 25 Mar 2015
at 14:49
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota came limping out of the town hall with the other wounded, though he was feeling more shame than any sort of pain from his injuries. He hadn't seen Simon, and allot of the delegates were slaughtered. He takes a seat outside against an available wall, covered in blood and dirt from the battle, and begins to roll himself a joint and takes a long drag off of it as he watches the aftermath of the attack.
Jane Guin
 player, 584 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 25 Mar 2015
at 15:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 381):

Jane nodded to Schaeffer.  "Alright.  I can stay here just keep me updated on the group please."  Jane was quiet for a bit.  She actually never thought of her chip saving some of the lives of others by being around other chips.  Of course most of the time she was fighting out in the open and with her group.  She'd have to remember this in the future and not take it for granted.  She shuddered as she remembered a couple of the black hats who had tried to leave and their chips had gone off.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 601 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 25 Mar 2015
at 15:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter restrained a sigh at the delay, reeling himself back from going right back inside. In response to the captain's question about power tools, Peter gave a nod. "It might have. It definitely had a...power...ram sort of thing at least." He gave another short nod. "Yes, some of them have radios, though I believe that they were not working previously. Jamming from the Combine I believe." He paused. "The Black Hat seemed to be setting up demolition charges also, so if you have people experienced with those, we might need them."

He looked over the power armored suits that showed up. Those were tech, and worth money! Beat up and old or not, Peter wished he owned one of those. He bit back his salivating, however, to focus on the task at hand....and explosions went off. Peter let out a curse adn ran towards the door once more.

He hurred inside to find Simon, but more importantly Jane.


OOC: I don't think Jane has a radio if I remember correctly or Peter would have radioed her...
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1126 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Wed 25 Mar 2015
at 19:28
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer:
Excusing himself he went to where Rowan had finished healing Dakota. "I am glad to see you are mostly unhurt, my love. There are others besides our friend Dakota who could use the help, ya? And how many healing poultices do you still possess?"


Rowan smiles seeing and hearing Schaeffer, "only three left love after that it is My normal trained healing".
"I need to be going in with the team love, if Simon is hurt then my patches will keep him alive if nothing else"

Jane Guin
 player, 586 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 25 Mar 2015
at 20:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane sort of felt silly just standing around but it was important that she did so that nothing else (or nobody else) would be going Boom.  She would be moving later after the bomb squad showed up she was sure but for now she knew that she needed to stay in the close vicinity.  She was glad to see Peter though and raised her hand slightly to catch his attention.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 603 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 31 Mar 2015
at 20:09
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter walked up to Jane and while he was glad to see was well, his face quickly turned grim once more. "I am very glad you are alright." He looked around as he stood there. "Smoker lost a hand. Simon has been...taken by the Combine forces. I could not stop them." He sounded...tired.
Jane Guin
 player, 587 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 31 Mar 2015
at 20:13
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 390):

Janes whispered a "Thank goodness you are ok.  I'm sorry about Simon and the rest.  I know you did what you could.  I got stuck on medic duty.  I have to stay here so that the Black Hat's chips don't go off."  She brought up one of her hands to just stroke his arm once.  She knew he would understand that she wanted to do more both in the fight and now but she couldn't.
The Marshall
 GM, 2069 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 2 Apr 2015
at 10:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker was taken to hospital.

As he was prepped for surgery, he was asked what his preference was regarding a bionic or prosthetic hand.

The city hall building was quickly evacuated. As a consequence, the Posse (who were largely unhurt) were left to their devices on the street outside. They were free to go where they like, be it the hospital or the hotel. The streets swarmed with EMS and fire services, security personnel and militia.

There was an acrid smell of smoke everywhere, although all fires had been extinguished.
Smoker Nix
 player, 715 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 2 Apr 2015
at 13:01
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker thought about it for a moment and then opted for the bionic version.
The Marshall
 GM, 2070 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 2 Apr 2015
at 14:52
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 393):

The bionic version was the Junker hand, with possible attachments. The prosthetic was the one that was visually indistinguishable from a normal hand.
Smoker Nix
 player, 716 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 2 Apr 2015
at 15:18
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Ooops! Smoker's a bit fuzzy, not thinking straight... he wanted the prosthetic!
Peter Firecrow
 player, 606 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Sat 4 Apr 2015
at 02:15
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter was angry, at himself most of all, as he informed the Posse of what had happened when they had been separated, ending with...Simon is gone. He was taken by the Combine forces." He slammed one fist into an open palm.

He kept looked around to find the trail of the Black Hats, or someone who knew where they had gone among the town's militia that was there.
The Marshall
 GM, 2072 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 4 Apr 2015
at 03:01
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 396):

There was a considerable degree of chaos and confusion in and around City Hall. In the temporary MP command post Peter found the SWAT commander he'd talked to earlier. The man was even more harried than when he arrived.

"Look, all we know is they went into the Down Below. Those fuckers somehow knew there was an old utility shaft that came up next to the stairwell. They punched through the wall, then down they went. Then collapsed the stairwell afterwards to block pursuit. We're doing an analysis to see if that part of the building is still structurally sound! But we don't think there are more weak spots like it. They climbed down to the parkade level, then blew their way out of the shaft. From there they gained entrance to the Down Below.

"I would be willing to start a hot pursuit right now, apparently the Black Hats' tracks are not hard to follow seeings as they got a walking tank and an automaton with them. But Mayor Turner has ordered there will be no pursuit by Junkyard forces Down Below unless it's done in force. The Moorlocks ambushed a hundred militia force and wiped them all out, I don't see Turner authorising anything less than several times that number in this case.

"Ike, the Mayor, is ordering a full mobilisation of the Militia. But it will take at least 12 hours to put a big enough force together."

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 356 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sat 4 Apr 2015
at 03:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Schaeffer showed Peter and the Posse some items he'd scavenged off the bodies. Things that weren't burned past recognition, of course!

"The Black Hats tried to take away their dead. I have managed to save one gas mask, three hand grenades, three tear gas cannisters and some other gear. I don't think the Moorlocks ambushed that militia force a while back, but the Black Hats. They then used the captured uniforms, weapons and gear to equip their infiltrators."

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:48, Sat 04 Apr 2015.

The Marshall
 GM, 2073 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 4 Apr 2015
at 03:17
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Meanwhile, Smoker was prepped and wheeled into surgery. In fact, while limb replacement was far from routine he didn't need to be put out completely because this was an extremity on a limb.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 357 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sat 4 Apr 2015
at 20:43
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Schaeffer got off the radio.

"I have some other bad news.

"Kira, the Templar that helped us escort Simon? She was down in the underground parkade watching over the entrance to the Down Below. She tried to help the militia at the blocking point stop the Black Hats... she was struck down, but possibly not killed. They think she was taken by the infiltrators for some reason."


He shook his head, sad and angry that the female Templar was gone.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:44, Sat 04 Apr 2015.

Rowan Dawson
 player, 1128 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 4 Apr 2015
at 21:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 400):

"Gear up love" Rowan says in reply to Shaffer "we are going after Simon As soon as people are ready"
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 358 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sat 4 Apr 2015
at 21:33
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 401):

Schaeffer looked dubious.

"Are we waiting for Smoker to get out of hospital first? As well, do you have any healing poultices left? Do people want to see if we can get heavier weapons from the Mayor? Because our other weapons did not seem to have any effect."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1129 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 4 Apr 2015
at 21:43
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer:
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 401):

Schaeffer looked dubious.

"Are we waiting for Smoker to get out of hospital first? As well, do you have any healing poultices left? Do people want to see if we can get heavier weapons from the Mayor? Because our other weapons did not seem to have any effect."


 Yes to the first. "Heavier weapons I leave up to people who can use them". "I have a few politices left love".
"Oaths I have taken love, promises made now I must fore fill them"

Vundra
 player, 153 posts
 Junker
Sat 4 Apr 2015
at 23:23
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"I..er.I can get the guns from my V..VTOL if you need hea..heavy weapon. Th..the..they are anti vehicle cannons. I will go with you if you ar...are going after simon." Vundra is still a little shaky after the combat.
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 321 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Sun 5 Apr 2015
at 00:22
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota had been silent during the whole exchange between the posse members, calmly smoking taking it all in. He had a scowl on his face ever since he woke back up from his injuries. "Well it'll be ya folks, my legs are done fer 'till I get some RnR." Dakota says after a long draw, "This is help'n, but I'm gonna need some stronger meds. Damned oak door saved my life." He says with a laugh from his spot on the ground with his legs propped up on some rubble.
The Marshall
 GM, 2076 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 5 Apr 2015
at 18:01
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Dakota Jack Cardinal (msg # 405):

Trying to stand, Dakota found that once Rowan had put a poultice on each leg, the pain had stopped and his legs felt fine, if a little tingly. In fact, he found himself practically fully healed.

This message was last updated by the GM at 18:01, Sun 05 Apr 2015.

Peter Firecrow
 player, 607 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 7 Apr 2015
at 03:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter listened to Schaeffer. He started to speak and then stopped. Finally he let out a long sigh and nodded. "I guess we should not go in unprepared. These....bastards...were obviously well prepared and well-armed for this. And....we should at least see if Smoker wants to come with us, though I would not blame if he did not."
The Marshall
 GM, 2077 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 13 Apr 2015
at 04:58
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 407):

The surgery took 2 hours. Smoker was put under for the procedure.

Those that went to the hospital to wait were informed the surgery was a success, and Smoker would soon be coming out of the anesthetic.

He was in a Post-Op recovery room, lying in a bed with clean sheets. Smoker was hooked up to various advanced diagnostic equipment, with an IV drip.
Vundra
 player, 154 posts
 Junker
Mon 13 Apr 2015
at 05:16
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
During the two hour, Vundra return to his Hover bike and drop off his half finish project. He also deteach one of the cannon and take it with him.

OOC:Mon 13 Apr 2015: Vundra rolled 11 using 5d12,

He then return to the posses. "So..so, this thing ought to be us..useful."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 608 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 15 Apr 2015
at 15:53
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter waited with all the patience he could muster given the circumstances, which wasn't all that much. He paced a bit before settling down in to a chair, looking for all the world like a cat waiting for a mouse to appear.

He glanced at Vundra and the cannon, giving a quiet nod.
Jason Sinclair
 player, 243 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Sat 18 Apr 2015
at 18:30
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
 The gates of Junktown are closed to all in the wake of the city hall skirmish. However a lone traveler is at the gate knocking. After a few moments of talking and him opening his trench coat the guard lets him in. He makes a few polite inquiries and he makes his way to the hospital slowly but surely.
   The waiting room holds those waiting for Smoker to recover from his surgery. The door opens and a man stands in the doorway one hand on a pistol and the other on the hilt of his sword. "Hey guys. Peter, Jane, Rowan, Colonel. Who pray tell is the Junker?" He pauses for someone to answer. "In any case I need to speak to Simon no one will tell me where he is. I need to speak with him." He says as he goes to one of the uncomfortable waiting room chairs. His hands leave the weapons as he sits. "Saints 'tis good to be among friends again." He says in his Texas drawl. He is dusty as only a week on foot in the Salt Flats will do. His weapons are in good shape as always as is his Ranger's badge. He is wearing a tabard and leather duster. His boots are worn, but not nearly in bad shape yet. The chairs are in worse shape than his clothes and gear. "I need a bath."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1130 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 18 Apr 2015
at 21:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra:
During the two hour, Vundra return to his Hover bike and drop off his half finish project. He also deteach one of the cannon and take it with him.

OOC:Mon 13 Apr 2015: Vundra rolled 11 using 5d12,

He then return to the posses. "So..so, this thing ought to be us..useful."

 While the group wait rowan Will take the time to search up ingredients for her healing potions.
And then make as many as she can before they leave
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 359 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sat 18 Apr 2015
at 21:52
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jason Sinclair (msg # 411):

"Gott in Himmel! It's Jason! My friend, you are looking much the worse for wear, although better than we feared." He clasps the Templar's hand, shaking it. His craggy scarred face lit up, at least as much as was possible.

"This is Vundra. Vundra, this is Jason Sinclair. He was made a Templar before we left Boise, and then when the Combine intercepted us bravely led them away as a decoy. I wasn't with the Posse then but was told was a woman with you, Jason, who was made to look like Simon to aid in the ruse. May we ask what happened to her? I am glad to see you but afraid of what happened to her."
Vundra
 player, 155 posts
 Junker
Sun 19 Apr 2015
at 01:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"H..Hi Jason, I am here to help for air support." Vundra stutters as usual " Simon is err not around for the moment." Vundra put on a grim face.
Jason Sinclair
 player, 244 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Squire
Sun 19 Apr 2015
at 16:58
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Shay and I left y'all and lured the Combine away. thanks to a good bit o' luck and some skill we lost them after a day or so I don't remember. We started heading back this way and met a small patrol of the Combine's. I was shot in the leg. It 'twas a graze, but Shay she made us set up camp. Never should have listened." He pauses as if this he needs to gather himself. "They came in the night. Survivalists. Come to find out they had been tracking Shay. It was her ex-husband and his family. We managed to capture him alive, but Shay was wounded badly. I broke her ex-husband's arm and healed it wrong so that he could learn the lesson that slavery in any form was wrong. In his case beating and degrading his wife. The 1950's were so long ago that we have forgot more than they damned well knew. In any case after I healed him I let him go hoping that he would learn. He didn't. He lead three of his nephews back. Damned youngest was 15." Another pause. "Between Shay and me we killed all of them. She died killing her ex. I was left with two of the kids. I told 'em to git, but kids never listen. The smarter of the two went and listened. I sent the 15 year old to meet his Maker. I can only hope that he is at peace now. I ran into Shay's pursuers a couple o' times on my way here, but Evanor here made 'em think twice." </Gray>"Damned kid was only 15."<Gray>
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 360 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Mon 20 Apr 2015
at 12:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jason Sinclair (msg # 415):

Schaeffer shook his head in disgust.

"What a monster. He sent a child to do his dirty work and forcing you to get blood on your hands. That's the way these survivalist bastards work, they think nothing of using child soldiers, brainwashing their own kin and then sending them off to die. Do not worry my friend, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

"I am glad you joined us. I take it you've heard of the Combine's attack? They seemed to have wanted Simon for some reason. They kidnapped him and took him down into the Down Below. We shall be going in after him, or so I think. After Smoker comes out of surgery.

"Say, my friends, did you not go see some kind of guide to the spaces below a day or so ago? He operates some tour company, or so I think?"

The Marshall
 GM, 2081 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 26 Apr 2015
at 01:50
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
At the hospital, one of the Mayor's flunkies found them in the waiting room.

"God to hear your friend is recovering. The bionic hand he got is courtesy of the Mayor, and almost indistinguishable from a real one. It should heal soon. Remember, the hand is a "loaner". Pre-war tech. We want it back if possible!

"What are your plans now? Are you going after Simon? We owe you all some back pay due to your work with the Convoy. By order of the Mayor you can use it to buy gear and heavier weapons. Nothing is free, but we'll give you a good deal."

The spreadsheet on his palm-top showed that Peter, Rowan, Jane, and Smoker were all credited with 2000 Junkyard Widgets (dollars). Dakota and Jason were given $1000 and Vundra $500.

"If you're going to leave, best do it soon. There will be a search-and-destroy mission but not for another six hours because we want to send the Militia in force."
Vundra
 player, 157 posts
 Junker
Sun 26 Apr 2015
at 03:16
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Ahh the widgets are much appreciated, is there some place around where I can tap into the GR supply and recharge my weapons around here? I might need to go get a few extra batteries for this gun too." Vundra tap the cannon, which isnt really that large. On closer inspection it look more like an oversized shotgun without a handle.

This message was last edited by the player at 03:17, Sun 26 Apr 2015.

Dakota Jack Cardinal
 player, 323 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Sun 26 Apr 2015
at 14:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Dakota had been silent most of the time in the waiting room, he'd been in a sour mood since he nearly got blown up. when the mayors aide came and paid them their back pay he got a little brighter, "Got some bang-bang that'll take out a combine drone within my price range?" Dakota says with a grim look as he pockets the bag of pre-war gears, "Got any junker's that's researched 'em? I need some weak spots, damn armor toos thick on those fuckers."
Mayor's Flunky
Mon 27 Apr 2015
at 10:12
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 418):

"We can supply Ghost Rock at market prices. $10/ounce, as much as you like. Batteries are available through the local Junkers."

He answered Dakota, "Junker weapons are not usually available for sale on the open market because they're not mass-produced. Each one is individually crafted by hand. You'd have to talk to a Junker and have him or her make you one! I don't know how long that would take."

The flunky checked his palmtop.

"We do have some pre-war weapons. The NA XM-21 was an experimental plasma rifle in the 40 watt range. The, ah, SA XM-60 is a man-portable railgun. It says there are one of each available in the armoury, you'll need to talk to the militia quartermaster to see what the price will be. There are also a few ACRs and an HK G22.

"We also have 40mm and 20mm grenade launchers available that can attach to assault rifles or be used on their own. Plus there are flamethrowers and anti-tank rockets."

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:22, Mon 27 Apr 2015.

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 361 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Mon 27 Apr 2015
at 10:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Mayor's Flunky (msg # 420):

Schaeffer nodded approvingly.

"The G22 is a German weapon. It's a small calibre but has good armour-piercing. The XM-21 is not that useful, I am thinking, but all it needs is Ghost Rock. The XM-60 has an armour-piercing mode that will be useful but the 4mm depleted-uranium penetrator rounds are very expensive.

"The Advanced Combat Rifle is probably the best all-around weapon in that it's a hand-fired 20mm cannon mated to a 5.56mm assault rifle. The 20mm round has a HEDP round that has decent armour-piercing."

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:21, Mon 27 Apr 2015.

Vundra
 player, 164 posts
 Junker
Mon 27 Apr 2015
at 10:46
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Very well, where should we meet after this? I believe I need to buy a few clips for this th..thing. There one more if any of you want a bigger g..gun but it might be  a little hard to handle if you are not familiar with enr..energy weapons... I need to buy some provisions... Should we pack some food too? How long do you think we will be down there?..... And Vundra start to ramble on, with a very low voice about shopping and stuffs.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 362 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Mon 27 Apr 2015
at 12:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 422):

"If you haff found zee guide, then they would be a good person to ask about provisions, ya? I would usually assume three days for this kind of mission."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 610 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 28 Apr 2015
at 04:04
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter listened to Jason's story with a raised eyebrow. He would like to say he was shocked, and that he had never heard of anything close to that story! But in the irradiated wastelands, however, horror, abuse and brutality were all too commonplace. It was almost enough to make one depressed!

"It is good to see you again, Jason, and good to have you back. If you wish to come with us, we are hunting down some Combine that have kidnapped Simon and shot up Smoker...along with many others. The bastards need to pay!"

He nodded. "I will go and talk to the tourguide to see what we need."
Vundra
 player, 165 posts
 Junker
Tue 28 Apr 2015
at 05:18
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Arhh I will me.mee...meet you over at the tourguide place then. I will be visiting some Junk shop in town, does any of you want anything? I can get us a few flashlights if needed."
Jason Sinclair
 player, 245 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Tue 28 Apr 2015
at 18:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Yeah I'm going to hunt down whoever took Simon. Fortunately for me I don't need a lot of gear. Some new bullets and what not to replace the spent ones. Some rations to make sure I don't starve. Some batteries to recharge my comms and flashlights. The rest goes to the orphans and needy."   Jason says matter of fact like as if there was any doubt that He would hunt Simon's captors to the ends of the Wastes to find and punish them if needed.

Just so you guys know if Tech. Sgt. Airen Chricton pops up it is my darned tablet acting up. Also planned on playing Jason a little dark for a minute. If I get to dark let me know I'll tone it down.
Vundra
 player, 166 posts
 Junker
Wed 29 Apr 2015
at 02:28
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra nods and leave the hospital, he heads for the Market to look for some junker gear on the cheap. He picked up a few day worth of fresh meat then start looking for gear. He looks for merchant with a Junker Flashlight or powerpack/battery for sale. He also asks around for someone to allow him access to the G-ray service to recharge his gears.
Jane Guin
 player, 593 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 29 Apr 2015
at 12:24
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane listened and shook her head.  It wasn't surprising but yet was.  It was hard to explain but she couldn't dismiss anything weird just because it was weird.  She'd seen too much weirdness not to take it seriously.

"A shopping trip seems in order.  Time to refresh supplies and perhaps pick up something new.  Don't know when we'll have this opportunity again."
Vundra
 player, 167 posts
 Junker
Wed 29 Apr 2015
at 15:18
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
After about an hour wandering the Market, Vundra picked up 5 days worth of his favorite fresh meat. He also got himself a deal on a Junker flashlight. The Junker tried to drive a hard bargain but at the end he manage to get a large flashlight with fully charged battery. The dealer even let him tap into the G-ray service. Vundra recharge his gear after a Junker driven conversation with the local dealer. While his gun charges, he assemble his battery packs for his current project into it's frame and charge them too.

After the shopping, he drops by his VTOL and pack a few extra component. Then he walks over and ask direction for the way to the deep under tour guide.
The Marshall
 GM, 2094 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 5 May 2015
at 09:09
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In the short time they had while Smoker recovered, Rowan scrounged the Junkyard marketplace (the largest in the Wasted West) for spell components. She found enough to make 4 healing poultices (not just the materials but the iron pot to mix them together).

As well, Vundra had some considerable success in locating needed parts, including a Junker flashlight and a recharge of G-Rays.

Smoker was now awake and conscious. He was impressed to see he now had a new hand!

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:10, Tue 05 May 2015.

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 363 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Tue 5 May 2015
at 09:13
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 429):

The Colonel joined Vundra.

"This is a good idea. We can visit the armoury afterwards. If they have the 5.56mm/20mm ACRs available, then we should pick some up.

"Are the rest of you coming along?"

Dakota Jack Cardinal
 NPC, 326 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Tue 5 May 2015
at 09:14
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 431):

"Hell yeah! Let's get Smoker out of the sawbones hotel, then see what that guide you talked to had got to say. Should be inneresting.

"So Vundra, I ain't got enough cash for one of those ACR hand-cannons the colonel is talkin' about. What can you lend me? I promise not to lose it."

Vundra
 player, 169 posts
 Junker
Tue 5 May 2015
at 09:34
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
" Ahh , I can get you another one of this cannon.It might be a little hard to handle as it as it was made for mounting on a weapon wing but it sure packs a punch. You dont really have to aim anyway as this baby explode on contact. So just point in the general direction and shoot. Make sure other people is not in the way though..." Vundra chuckles and shows Dakota his Cannon. It is about a meter long , most of it is the barrel which is quite large. The main body is not much larger than the barrel itself and it look like it is made from old rusty iron. He is holding on with one arm under the main body and another under the barrel. There is a button on the side that triggers the firing mechanism. "It holds 6 shots in the internal battery, Er...I can give you a spare pack." If Dakota wants one, he goes back to his VTOL and unmounted one for him.
Dakota Jack Cardinal
 NPC, 327 posts
 Gunslinger
 Lady's Man
Tue 5 May 2015
at 09:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 433):

Dakota nodded enthusiastically.

"Don't mind if I do, sport. No sights for aiming, huh? Guess you just aim from the hip!"
Vundra
 player, 171 posts
 Junker
Tue 5 May 2015
at 14:22
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"A little unweildy to hold up and aim down sight if you ask me. If you wait here for a few minute, we can go to the armoury after." Vundra excuses himself as he make his way back to Black Wywern and retrieve the other cannon. He returns and hand him the cannon and a half finish piece of frame and other random bit and pieces along with a short cable. "Just plug the cable into this port when you run out of juice. It should give you about 10 more shots."
Doctor Prasad
Wed 6 May 2015
at 10:35
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
A woman doctor checked Smoker's bionic hand.

"Ah yes. This looks very good! Of course, we would like you to stay a few days until the grafting is completely healed."
Smoker Nix
 player, 727 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 6 May 2015
at 13:39
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker watched with interest.

"I really have to get going... we need to get after Simon before the trail goes cold."

He smiled.

"Not that it isn't nice lying around being looked after, though."
Dr. Prasad
Thu 7 May 2015
at 00:10
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 437):

The doctor looked a little cross, in a well-meaning way.

"Now, we can't let you leave. Hospital policy is to keep you here for 48 hours under observation. We aren't one of those fly-by-night body chop-shops where you can get a chainsaw grafted to your leg now? The city is paying for this, young man. You just need to lie back, relax and let your hand heal. Take a shower. Please! We can give you a shave. Clean sheets. You like clean sheets, don't you?

"I don't suggest strenuous activity for at least two weeks to allow the bone, soft tissue and nerves to knit together properly. There is the chance of infection as well as the possibility of prosthetic rejection.

"Still, we can't keep you against your will. If you'll sign the proper waivers we'll have your clothing and equipment brought to you immediately."

Smoker Nix
 player, 728 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 7 May 2015
at 07:53
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker was conflicted. He was enjoying the rest, heck, he needed it... but he had responsibilities as well.

"Uh. Are my friends around? They'll be getting ready to set out. I'll stay until they are ready to go, at the very least."
Dr. Prasad
Thu 7 May 2015
at 11:59
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 439):

"They are still in the waiting room, as far as I know. They were wanting to leave and let you rest. A good idea, I think, yes?"
Smoker Nix
 player, 729 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 7 May 2015
at 13:35
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"I'd better go and talk to them, then," said Smoker.

"Which way is the waiting room? I wasn't paying much attention when I arrived here."

For Smoker that was unusual. A born scavenger, he always paid attention to things like the way out of wherever he'd got into. It felt strange, not knowing.
The Marshall
 GM, 2098 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 9 May 2015
at 11:49
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Still clad in a patient's gown, a nurse gave him an additional dressing gown and directed him to the waiting room.

There he found the Posse ready to go look for the guide to the Down Under spaces.
Smoker Nix
 player, 730 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 9 May 2015
at 12:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Thank you," Smoker said to the nurse, putting the dressing gown on a bit awkwardly. The hand worked almost, but not quite, normally. It would take getting used to.

"Hi guys. When do you plan on heading out? They want to keep an eye on me for a couple more days, but I'm good to go really. So I thought I'd stay here until you are ready to roll..."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1140 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 9 May 2015
at 13:03
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker Nix:
"Hi guys. When do you plan on heading out? They want to keep an eye on me for a couple more days, but I'm good to go really. So I thought I'd stay here until you are ready to roll..."

Rowan looks at her friend
"Sooner rather than later Smoker, you rest up friend. Surgery and healing like you are having should not be rushed"
Smoker Nix
 player, 731 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 9 May 2015
at 13:09
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"But... I have to retrieve Simon..." said Smoker.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1141 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 9 May 2015
at 13:15
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker Nix:
"But... I have to retrieve Simon..." said Smoker.

 Rowan smiles "Also do we all Smoker".
"But you tell me are you fit to fight"?

Smoker Nix
 player, 732 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 9 May 2015
at 13:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"I..."

Smoker looked at his hand.

"Possibly. Probably even. What has to be done has to be done."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 613 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Sat 9 May 2015
at 15:32
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter looked at Smoker. "As much as I would like to have you with us..." And he does in fact look a bit torn by the decision. "I think it might be better for you to get recovered before you possibly get in combat again. Now, if you are set on coming, I will not stop you, but just be sure you are ready."
The Marshall
 GM, 2100 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 10 May 2015
at 07:12
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The hand in question was in a sling. Obviously, the doctors didn't want him to place any strain on the graft site at the wrist before it was properly healed. This would take a week to a week and a half to heal properly.

As well, Smoker's wrist started to hurt as the anaesthetic wore off.
Brother Edgar
 NPC, 189 posts
 Doomsayer
Sun 10 May 2015
at 07:16
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 449):

The Doomsayer heretic, Brother Edgar, hugged Smoker.

"Great to see they gave you a new hand! I can heal it using a miracle of the Atom called "Touch o' the Doomsayers". It's not 100% certain. I think if Rowan has any healing poultices those will work as well. The advantages of having me do it now is Rowan's poultices can be saved for later.

"And you well might need it. As I hear it you're leaving soon to try and track Simon down in the tunnels, and it breaks me heart I can't accompany you down there as I have other instructions from my Order."

Smoker Nix
 player, 734 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sun 10 May 2015
at 13:23
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Thank you, Brother Edgar. I'd appreciate that. The wrist is a bit sore now the anaesthetic's wearing off, actually."

Smoker smiled.

"Why don't you get yourselves sorted out and supplied, and we'll see what state I'm in by the time you are ready to roll."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 614 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 12 May 2015
at 15:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter gave a small smile and clasped a hand to Brother Edgar's shoulder briefly. "Ah, Brother Edgar. How I will miss having you alongside us once again. If you can help Smoker, then we would definitely appreciate it." He gave a nod regarding holding off on Rowan's healing salves. "Sound thinking."

He gave a nod to Smoker. "We shall see you back here in about an hour then." He turned and left to go see about getting weapons and supplies.
Brother Edgar
 NPC, 190 posts
 Doomsayer
Tue 12 May 2015
at 23:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 451):

The Doomsayer looked at Smoker's artificial hand. There was a red line of flesh where the graft had been made. The graft site didn't look infected but the flesh at the join was still a little red and puffy due to irritation. The stump at the join was starting to itch and throb as the local freezing wore off. His "phantom" hand also started to itch, indicating the neural "mapping" in his brain and body hadn't quite integrated the prosthetic limb fully into his nervous system.

"Let me give it a whirl. Let's see if the Atom will give back what that Drone took away. Good thing I drank that Strontium milkshake to recharge after the fight."

Rolling up his robe's sleeves, he carefully took hold of Smoker's wrist where flesh joined neo-skil plastic. The Doomsayer's hands started to glow green, and Smoker felt a warmth in his "phantom limb" where the hand was gone. After a few moments (around five minutes) Brother Edgar took his hands away. There was a residual faint green glow around the joining of his wrist and the hand for a few seconds.

"There! It wasn't easy but I think that worked. Tell me how it feels?"

Indeed, Smoker could now move the artificial hand without problem, and there was no pain even though the anaesthetic had mostly worn off. The slight swelling and redness quickly subsided as the green glow faded. Good as new!
Smoker Nix
 player, 735 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 13 May 2015
at 10:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Wow! That's a lot better. Thank you, Brother Edgar, really appreciated."

Smoker beamed as he found how well the hand now operated.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 364 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Tue 19 May 2015
at 23:13
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 454):

"How is your hand feeling? Do you think you are well enough to come with us? We have been delayed enough as it is, my friend."

He looked like he was wanting to get a move on ASAP.
Trickster
 NPC, 41 posts
Tue 19 May 2015
at 23:14
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 446):

The coyote found some dark underhang to hide under outside the hospital to wait for Rowan.
Smoker Nix
 player, 736 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 20 May 2015
at 08:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Yes, I think I shall be able to come," said Smoker, sounding a bit amazed.

"Once I find my clothes, that is."
The Marshall
 GM, 2102 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 25 May 2015
at 23:36
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 457):

CMoker's clothes were quickly found. He was discharged over the vocal objection of Dr. Prasad. But they couldn't hold him against his will and he soon found himself outside the building.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 365 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Mon 25 May 2015
at 23:39
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 458):

"Goot. We are all together now, ya? We can go to zee armoury and obtain better equipment. We used small arms on that Drone. They were not effective. Then, obtain the services of a guide.

"Or, we can obtain the services of the guide first.

"Finally, we can do both: some go to the armoury, the others to the guide. Buck Masterson, I believe he is called, ya?"

Trickster
 NPC, 42 posts
Tue 26 May 2015
at 00:01
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The coyote slunk out from beneath a parked truck to find Rowan in the group standing in front of the hospital.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 616 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 26 May 2015
at 03:07
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter just shook his head at both the Doomsayer healing ability...and Smoker's insistence on not only leaving the hospital so quickly but also about coming along. Out of one firefight and into a potential nother one very quickly.

He nodded to the Colonel. "Yes, I believe we are ready to head to the armory now."
Jane Guin
 player, 598 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 26 May 2015
at 03:15
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 461):

Jane nodded at the others.  "No offense at any of our abilities but we've been split up enough for one night.  Let's just all go to the armory and then talk to the guide.  If something goes down then we'll be together."
Vundra
 player, 176 posts
 Junker
Tue 26 May 2015
at 03:38
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Let move then, the longer we wait, the further they get in that deep down under."
The Marshall
 GM, 2103 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 1 Jun 2015
at 06:14
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Climbing into Peter's truck, the posse drove the short distance to the Militia armoury, which was in the old police station.

Word had obviously been sent on ahead as the personnel let the posse have their choice of weapons and gear, both small arms, heavy weapons and explosives.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 366 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Mon 1 Jun 2015
at 06:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 464):

Schaeffer looked impressed. "My carbine was having some damage from the fire in the conference centre.

"Mein Gott! I see there is a G22 there! Brought by one of my kamerads, no doubt! I shall avail myself of this excellent weapon."


He picked up a G22 and several blocks of 25x 4mm caseless rounds for it. They

"I was able to salvage enough gas masks from the infiltrators to give everyone one. I would suggest picking up tear gas grenades and smoke canisters to use in the Down Under."


$1000   G22
$500    100x rounds 4mm AP
$500    100x rounds 4mm Ball

Peter Firecrow
 player, 618 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 3 Jun 2015
at 05:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter is like a kid in a candy store. His eyes go wide and a small smile slides on to his face as he goes shopping in the armory like some people used to shop in malls! He begins looking with his eyes at all the wonderful toys.

He does remember to get some ammunition for his auto-shotgun and machinegun as well, however, in all his excitement.

OOC: Still a bit left after this so I'm not sure if I'm done, laugh!

40 shotgun slugs for his auto-shotgun for $200.
45 rounds of .50 for the M2HB for $225.

Assuming he picks up the Rifle concentration:
Advanced Combat Rifle for $1000.
150 rounds of 5.56mm for $150 + 5 magazines for $100.
12 special microchip rounds of 20mm for $240.

Jane Guin
 player, 599 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Thu 4 Jun 2015
at 12:36
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 466):

Jane was a little more contained than Peter but it was only because she was shocked at the supplies.  It had been quite awhile since she had seen so much all under one roof.  Of course it worked out just as well because it had been awhile since she had a good amount of money to buy supplies with also.  She started to look around in order to resupply her machines and baby and then spotted  the anti tank rockets.  She was afraid to look at how much there were and almost fainted when she saw it.  She let her hand reach out and almost stroke it as she wished.  It was more than she could afford so touching it was probably going to be about as close as she could get to it.

With one last look she moved on to get other things even though she looked back at it  quite often.
Smoker Nix
 player, 737 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 4 Jun 2015
at 12:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker looked around quite amazed. Still, he was happy with his trusty FN so contented himself with replenishing ammunition.
Vundra
 player, 177 posts
 Junker
Thu 4 Jun 2015
at 12:48
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra just stand by and look at the weapons in the armory. Maybe he can draws some inspiration from the weapons in here. He also look if there any junker good somewhere.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 367 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sat 13 Jun 2015
at 11:35
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 467):

Schaeffer noted Jane looking at the rockets.

"I would see if perhaps Smoker would like to pool funds with you to buy that device. It is one shot. But that might be the shot we need! I can instruct you on how to use it, it won't take long.

"For those who are not buying anything, at least consider getting a hand grenade. Those could be very useful where we're going."

Vundra
 player, 178 posts
 Junker
Sat 13 Jun 2015
at 11:38
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Col, How well do you think these cannons will wor..work? They are Anti vehicle but not very penetrating. Th..They were design to shoot lightly armored aircraft.

Vundra points at his armament.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 368 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sat 13 Jun 2015
at 11:57
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 471):

"Mein Gott! What do they shoot? Energy beam? Projectile?"

He tried to get a closer look at Vundra's cannons.
Vundra
 player, 179 posts
 Junker
Sat 13 Jun 2015
at 12:18
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
They shoot condense ball of energy that explode on contact.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 369 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sun 14 Jun 2015
at 12:09
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 473):

Schaeffer mulled it over.

"I should think they would not be effective against the drone, which is heavily armoured. They would be good as anti-personnel weapons."
Jane Guin
 player, 600 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Mon 15 Jun 2015
at 13:52
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane mulled over asking the others.  She still wasn't totally used to asking people to give up money especially for one shots.

"We'll see if there is money left.  I would love to have one but for a one shot it is risky.  I'm not that proficient with them and not sure others are or not.  Of course that is a matter of practice or applying current knowledge and adjusting it.  Let's keep looking and keep it on the back burner."
Jason Sinclair
 player, 248 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Mon 15 Jun 2015
at 14:39
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"I tried out for the Rangers anti-Cy-SOG division. Found out that I would have to be a monster to kill the monsters so I told them to go frak themselves. Only way to get that kind of training where I was at anyway. That level of ordinance has been scarce since the Last War. Been lucky to keep me in ammo for my pistol even with reloading 'em. Grenades sure I might pick up a couple, but I shall let others use them. Got any Willie Petes? Just kidding."Jason smiles rather grimly. He places his order and picks up a couple of grenades with any extra funds.
Vundra
 player, 180 posts
 Junker
Mon 15 Jun 2015
at 15:35
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Well I never fired anything with recoi..oil. This is the best I got..." Vundra just realise that his anti plane cannon might not be as good as he thought.
Armourer
Mon 15 Jun 2015
at 23:09
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jason Sinclair (msg # 476):

One of the armourers nodded at Jason.

"Willie Pete is $150 a grenade. Probably not the best thing to be throwing around underground?"
Peter Firecrow
 player, 620 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 16 Jun 2015
at 23:01
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter geared up with his new gun as the others were talking. He began reloading the shotgun and putting the rounds into the clips for his new rifle. He still had the look of a kid in a candy store, though a bit more on the satisfied side than the hungry side of things.

He glanced at the others and then looked down guiltily. "I think I have a bit leftover I might be able to chip in if needs be..."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1143 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Wed 17 Jun 2015
at 18:28
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter Firecrow:
Peter geared up with his new gun as the others were talking. He began reloading the shotgun and putting the rounds into the clips for his new rifle. He still had the look of a kid in a candy store, though a bit more on the satisfied side than the hungry side of things.

He glanced at the others and then looked down guiltily. "I think I have a bit leftover I might be able to chip in if needs be..."

Rowan looks up she is not really interested in fire arms And has stocked up on skulls and base balls.
"Is there any night vision gear available"? she asks the group
The Marshall
 GM, 2107 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 17 Jun 2015
at 23:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 480):

The armourer indicated some hard plastic cases.

"Yep. These are a thousand apiece. They have fake parallax that allows you to aim using your weapon iron sights (but not telescopic sights). You can clip them to a helmet or use their stand-alone straps."
Smoker Nix
 player, 738 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 18 Jun 2015
at 07:54
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker looked over.

"I'd be interested in those. May I see, please?"
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1144 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Thu 18 Jun 2015
at 18:15
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The Marshall:
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 480):

The armourer indicated some hard plastic cases.

"Yep. These are a thousand apiece. They have fake parallax that allows you to aim using your weapon iron sights (but not telescopic sights). You can clip them to a helmet or use their stand-alone straps."

 Rowan hands 1000 over in convoy script, "thank you" she says with a smile.
"What about spare batteries"?
Armourer
Sat 20 Jun 2015
at 09:07
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker Nix:
Smoker looked over.

"I'd be interested in those. May I see, please?"


The armourer took down two of the NVG cases. He handed one to Rowan, "here you go" and one to Smoker. He took Rowan's scrip. "Thank you!"

He then asked Smoker, "how many rounds of 7.62mm NATO would you like? That'll be a thousand for the goggles."
Smoker Nix
 player, 739 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 20 Jun 2015
at 09:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Fifty rounds please," said Smoker, looking the goggles over. "And yes, I think these would come in handy."

He got his wallet out. As a born scavenger, shopping for stuff always felt a bit strange!
Armourer
Sun 28 Jun 2015
at 10:36
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The armourer looked at Jane while getting the gear and ammo ready for the others.

"You were wanted an anti-tank rocket? We do have one we can sell."
Jane Guin
 player, 601 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Mon 29 Jun 2015
at 14:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Armourer (msg # 486):

Jane knew how much she had and hoped that the price would be affordable but she didn't say anything for a bit.  "Yeah?  How much you willing to sell it for?"
Armourer
Mon 29 Jun 2015
at 22:50
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 487):

"Two grand. They ain't makin' any more. Comes in a carry case."

He brought out a military camouflaged carry case. Rectangular and made of heavy impact plastic. Inside was a tube-launched rocket, nestled in moulded carry foam. The tube itself was dark green fibreglass and plastic marked with yellow "Anti-Tank" bands. There were "how to use" amd "point this end" labels and cryptic number stenciled onto the tube.
Jane Guin
 player, 602 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 02:16
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Armourer (msg # 488):

Jane let out a soft whistle and looked it over, hoping that she wasn't drooling while she did so.  "Set it off to the side but don't let anybody else get it.  I need to replenish my normal ammo first but I think I'll have enough after talking to a friend or two.  Tell me how much it will cost for this ammo and if you have it."  Jane hands over the list of ammo that she knew she used and would need replacing and then hoped that she would have enough or one of the other guys would.
Armourer
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 09:22
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 489):

The armourer nodded in understanding.

"What kind of ammunition do you use? I could probably get you something on the house. For our big customers."
Jane Guin
 player, 603 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 13:03
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Armourer (msg # 490):

The Armourer certainly knew how to get her attention.  She tried to play it cool but if she could get the rocket AND ammo.  "I would need 12mm Caseless.  You restock me on those and we'll have a deal."
Armourer
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 20:44
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 491):

He looked at her black beret, then without commenting turned around to rummage about in some bins.

"Combine ammo, eh? Not too common, not much in demand because Combine weapons are all booby-trapped and don't work right if you disarm them. We do get some ammo in scavenged off dead Black Hats that just sits on the shelf until some ex-Combine comes in. I have about twenty or so loose rounds I could let you have. Here, they're yours."

The armourer set down a cardboard box beside the rocket case. It was filled with what looked like large day-go orange crayons tipped with wicked-looking black tips. 12mm caseless, it looked like. Unlike conventional ammo that had the bullet mounted on metal or plastic cases, caseless rounds were mainly just a pressed block of plastic explosive, sometimes with the bullet protruding, sometimes not.
Jane Guin
 player, 604 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 21:21
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Armourer (msg # 492):

It was nice to know that there were others who had managed to get away from the Black Hats.  Obviously not enough did.  "Do you get many of us that managed to get out?"  Jane casually looked over the ammo, judging to make sure it would still be usable.  If so then she'd take it and the one shot as she had already started to think of the rocket as.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1145 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 21:54
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane Guin:
In reply to Armourer (msg # 492):

It was nice to know that there were others who had managed to get away from the Black Hats.  Obviously not enough did.  "Do you get many of us that managed to get out?"  Jane casually looked over the ammo, judging to make sure it would still be usable.  If so then she'd take it and the one shot as she had already started to think of the rocket as.

Rowan wanders over. "how much do you need Jane she asks softly"
Jane Guin
 player, 605 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 30 Jun 2015
at 22:16
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 494):

Jane looks up at Rowan and gives her a smile.  "I think I'm Kosher with this.  I'm buying a rocket and he's throwing in the ammo that I used up.  Not a bad deal.  And get this.  The rocket is in this cute carrying case and has instructions.  What more could a girl ask for?"  She then frowned and winked at Rowan.  "Well except that there was more than one rocket.  I had better be pretty sure before I fire this baby because it's a one shot.  In fact that is its name.  One Shot."

Jane would never be the girly girl.  But she had moments of what SHE thought was cuteness.  A cute carrying case that was done in camo and matched 99.9% of her outfits for instance.  That was Jane's version of being a girly girl.  Well that and perhaps hers weakness around a certain stubborn Injun.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 370 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Thu 2 Jul 2015
at 08:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 495):

Schaeffer nodded as the man closed the case and took Jane's scrip.

"Ya. I can train you how to use this device. It would help if you were having some practice with a practice round or live firing but is not, well, rocket science."
Jane Guin
 player, 606 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Thu 2 Jul 2015
at 12:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 496):

Jane had to chuckle at Schaeffer rocket science part.  She looked over at the Arourmer.  "I know you said you didn't have any more live rounds.  What about dummy or practice rounds?"
Armourer
Fri 3 Jul 2015
at 09:18
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 497):

The armourer got a thoughtful look on his face, then turned around and rummaged in some bins. He wandered off, then returned with what looked to be another rocket tube.

"As a matter of fact, we do have something along those lines. It's called a round simulator. It is for another weapon, but it teaches the basics. What it does is it shoots a 9mm tracer round that is ballistically matched to the actual rocket. With it you can practice ranged shots, leading a target, and so on. This is for a different rocket than the one you are buying but it will help as the sights are similar. I'll let it go as a 1 week rental for $100. That includes ten tracer rounds."
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 371 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Fri 3 Jul 2015
at 09:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Armourer (msg # 498):

Looking at Jane, Schaeffer nodded his approval. "Ya. That should help a lot. We will not need it for long. Ask for twenty rounds of practice ammunition."
Jane Guin
 player, 607 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Fri 3 Jul 2015
at 17:59
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 499):

Jane leaned in between Rowan and Schaeffer and spoke low.  "Umm.  Remember when I said I got it Rowan?  It went fast with the One Shot.  I don't have money now for the practice rounds and stuff.  Can you guys float me?  I'll pay it back the next time I get paid or something."

Feeling that if they couldn't do it she could scrounge up the cost with others, Jane turned back to the Armourer.  "That sounds good but we want/need 20 rounds of practice ammo."
Vundra
 player, 181 posts
 Junker
Fri 3 Jul 2015
at 18:15
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra walks over to Jane "I still got 200$ left if you need those rou..ounds. I wont need them until i got time to do some more tin.in..tinkering work."
Jane Guin
 player, 608 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Fri 3 Jul 2015
at 18:18
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 501):

Jane smiled at Vundra.  "That is great.  You know perhaps this will give you an idea on how to make one or come up with our own ammo for it too. Thank you."
Vundra
 player, 182 posts
 Junker
Fri 3 Jul 2015
at 18:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"I prefer my laser gun.... That thing look like it gonna break wrists." Vundra hands Jane 200 widgets.
Jane Guin
 player, 609 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Fri 3 Jul 2015
at 18:24
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 503):

Jane accepted the money and chuckled.  "I haven't read the instructions yet but I think you put it on your shoulder to fire and hold it.  Lasers are great too and no doubt less noisy."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1146 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Fri 3 Jul 2015
at 21:32
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane Guin:
In reply to Vundra (msg # 503):

Jane accepted the money and chuckled.  "I haven't read the instructions yet but I think you put it on your shoulder to fire and hold it.  Lasers are great too and no doubt less noisy."

Rowan waits tillJane and the others have finnished
"Who do I see about some ghost rock" she asks politely
Armourer
Tue 7 Jul 2015
at 06:10
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 505):

"I have about couple pounds to sell. 15 ounces total, at $10 an ounce."

Rowan's Ghost shield spell required at least an 8 oz. chunk of Ghost Rock to function.

He asked Vundra and Jason, "sorry, could you repeat your orders?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:11, Tue 07 July 2015.

The Marshall
 GM, 2112 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 7 Jul 2015
at 06:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Tallying up the running total so far:

Peter:

40 shotgun slugs for his auto-shotgun for $200.
45 rounds of .50 for the M2HB for $225.
Advanced Combat Rifle for $1000.
150 rounds of 5.56mm for $150 + 5 magazines for $100.
12 special microchip rounds of 20mm for $240.

Total = $1915

Smoker

$100 Fifty rounds of 7.62mm NATO.
$1000 One pr. Night Vision Goggles

Total = $1100

Rowan

$1000 One pr. Night Vision Goggles

Schaeffer

$1000   G22
$500    100x rounds 4mm AP
$500    100x rounds 4mm Ball

Total = $2000

Vundra

$200 to Jane

Jason

$200 2x M167 Fragmentation grenades

Jane

$2000 Anti-Tank Rocket

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:13, Tue 07 July 2015.

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 372 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Tue 7 Jul 2015
at 06:12
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Tear gas. Someone should get a couple canisters. And smoke doesn't hurt."
Vundra
 player, 183 posts
 Junker
Tue 7 Jul 2015
at 13:44
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"I got my stuffs from the junker shops" He pats his bag of ration and stuff.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1149 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 7 Jul 2015
at 17:56
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Armourer:
"I have about couple pounds to sell. 15 ounces total, at $10 an ounce."

Rowan's Ghost shield spell required at least an 8 oz. chunk of Ghost Rock to function.

 "Could you make that 16 oz" Rowan smiles as she asks
Peter Firecrow
 player, 621 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 16:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter smothered a smile at Jane as she recounted how one would likely handle the anti-tank rocket. He gave a small nod to her, one eyebrow raised. He didn't say it, but the thought that a girl with a really big gun was sort of sexy was there in the twinkle in his eye.

Then he let out a breath and got his mind back on task. "Okay. Are we about ready then?"
Vundra
 player, 184 posts
 Junker
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 16:38
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"We still need to go find that guide....."
Armourer
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 21:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 510):

The man shook his head.

"What I got is what I got. You can get a lot more Ghost Rock from the Junker suppliers. We don't have a lot to spare here."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1150 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Wed 8 Jul 2015
at 21:25
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Armourer:
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 510):

The man shook his head.

"What I got is what I got. You can get a lot more Ghost Rock from the Junker suppliers. We don't have a lot to spare here."

 Rowan nods "thanks then"
"How far to them"

Vundra
 player, 185 posts
 Junker
Thu 9 Jul 2015
at 03:09
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"G-Rock are quite common, we should be able to get sone along the way to find our guide. So are we ready to head out?"
Armourer
Fri 10 Jul 2015
at 20:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 514):

"It's about a half-dozen blocks to the closest G-Rock dealer," replied the armourer.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 NPC, 373 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Fri 10 Jul 2015
at 20:21
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Vundra (msg # 515):

"I think Vundra is right, we are needing to be going. Time is of the essence.

"Perhaps we could split up, some asking the guide and others getting more G-Rock."

The Marshall
 GM, 2115 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 13 Jul 2015
at 10:07
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
After a few minutes, their buys were packaged and stored in Peter's technical.

On the way to Buck Masterson's Downbelow Tours, they managed to stop by a Junker supplier Vundra knew about. Rowan was able to get another 7 ounces of Ghost Rock (for $70). She now had enough to cast Ghost Shield three times.

Downbelow Tours was as they remembered it, a slightly rundown 2-story warehouse building near the wall. Buck Masterson ushered the posse into his waiting room.
Vundra
 player, 187 posts
 Junker
Mon 13 Jul 2015
at 10:09
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"SO, we are in need of a guide to the down below. We want to get down there as soon as possible to track down someone."
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 11 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Mon 13 Jul 2015
at 10:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 518):

Sipping his coffee he said, "all right. I heard the ruckus down at town hall. As well, the Militia is getting ready to clear out the Underground once and for all. A full battalion-sized operation, the way I heard it. That'll take them the rest of the day, maybe more, to call everyone up and get them moving.

"I'll do it for a thousand Widgets. And that's only to sublevel One. I ain't fool enough to go down to Two, if that's where the trail leads you're on your own."


He offered the posse hot ersatz coffee as well.
Jason Sinclair
 player, 253 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Tue 14 Jul 2015
at 19:56
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Well shucks Buck will ya at least lead us to an entrance to this sublevel 2 if en it comes to that?' Sinclair asks honestly. "If the answer is no well I say that the payment should be seven hunderd of them thar widgets. No use to lead us in if en you ar gonna chicken out to go to a door. As fer some coffee hoss I might try this drek tha you Junkyard types call coffee."

If my posts get hard to read let me know guys I will cut out the Texas slang.
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 12 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Tue 14 Jul 2015
at 21:12
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jason Sinclair (msg # 521):

Masterson indicated for Jason to help himself. He scoffed a little.

"I don't get what you mean. I said I wouldn't go further than Level One but I'll go that far. If the tracks lead to the entrance to Two, I'll go that far. I won't go farther."

He went over to the map on the wall.

"Now, these two levels are not uniform, like big open basements. They are really two underground complexes, one on top of another. The top was basically civic in nature, the bottom was industrial. As such they are not really connected. When the Down Below was sealed off from the surface, most of those connections were also closed. Collapsed, filled with rubble, and so on.

"Level One is civic and commercial space, about 1-5 stories down but some buildings were a above the surface. There's a civic centre with swimming pool, a museum, one huge shopping mall that used to connect to the basements of surface businesses, even an amusement park. Plus a lot of parking garages because under what used to be the dome there was no room for surface parkades. The main surface connections were stairs, escalators, elevators and ramps. There was a subway, and even a 4-lane throughway through the middle to bypass downtown traffic. Before the war everything but some of the parking garages and the throughfare were basically abandoned to the criminals.

"Level Two were the industrial areas, about 4-10 stories down. Warehousing, light and heavy manufacturing, a reservoir, freight delivery subway, even a power plant. Some of this was still used before the war for industrial purposes but most of it was filled with illegally dumped garbage. Access was through elevators to the surface or an offramp from the main throughfare on Level One. All have been blocked off.

"I guess we'll start at the garage near City Hall where the Combine breached the surface? Track from there. I actually have a vehicle entrance I use for my tours. But I doubt the Combine went anywhere near there."

Jason Sinclair
 player, 254 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Tue 14 Jul 2015
at 21:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Buck Masterson (msg # 522):

" 'Twas more makin' sure that we could at least get that far and not have to worry about findin' level 2."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 623 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 15 Jul 2015
at 02:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter raised an eyebrow at Buck and Jason as they spoke. He didn't comment on Buck asking for payment. It wasn't so long ago that Peter was a money-grubbing man both ruthless and heartless. Glass houses, rocks and all of that. Hell, some would say he hadn't changed that much since then.

"This is for the city and for perhaps a much larger concern than that. I understand your desire to be paid for your services, I really do. That is a steep price for someone who won't be fighting with us, and not going below level one. Time is of the essence, however, so shall we say $800, paid up front? I know you'd prefer money before we go in but $1000 up front would be very difficult, especially considering we had to go purchase gear for this on our way here."

He wasn't able to afford it all himself so he glanced at the group one by one to make sure they would all be willing to chip in.
Smoker Nix
 player, 740 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 15 Jul 2015
at 07:45
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker sat listening quietly. He nodded when Peter started dickering over the price of a guide, and looked down at his right hand.
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 13 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Wed 15 Jul 2015
at 09:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 524):

Buck heard Peter out and made a face.

"Hell, if it's for the city, Mayor Ike can pony up a grand, can't he?"
Jane Guin
 player, 614 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 15 Jul 2015
at 12:58
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Buck Masterson (msg # 526):

Jane looked over at Buck when he said Mayor Ike could pony up.  "You'd have to go and ask him.  Of course he might say no.  On the other hand we have some of the money here now.  So what is more worth it.  To have guaranteed money in hand, even if a lower amount, or hunting down the Mayor to ask if you can get more.  Have you met the Mayor?  I mean he'd see you right?  You wouldn't have any problems getting past his security guards to ask him right?"
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1153 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Wed 15 Jul 2015
at 17:44
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 527):

Rowan smiles, "well you know friend ( To the Guide) we are operating here for the good of all". "And just think of the reputation that you will achieve if we are successful".
"now we are not rich in credit wealth, but how about this once this is over I will make you a poultice that will be capable of healing wounds for a week or so"

Buck Masterson
 NPC, 14 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Wed 15 Jul 2015
at 20:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 527):

Buck didn't look like he appreciated the hard sell from Jane. He replied, somewhat facetiously, "well now, "Hizzonor" the Mayor and me, we're good pals. I have beers with him all the time! All the time. He's probably gonna ask me to guide his Militia down there when he gets his act together in a day or so and it's gonna cost him an arm and a leg. I'm givn' ya'all the discount rate.

"I got a phone so it's your call, literally. I got a good thing goin' here and folks know who I am. My reputation don't need no burnishing, so I am prepared to walk over a couple hundred."


Smiling at Rowan he added, "but I like you, I'll cut my askin' price to $950. Final offer."

Buck didn't appear upset or insulted, but seemed fairly confident he knew where he stood.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1154 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Wed 15 Jul 2015
at 21:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Buck Masterson:
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 527):
Smiling at Rowan he added, "but I like you, I'll cut my askin' price to $950. Final offer."

Buck didn't appear upset or insulted, but seemed fairly confident he knew where he stood.


Rowan smiles
" A man who knows his trade is worthy of his pay it seems to me"
She says softly
Jason Sinclair
 player, 256 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 19:36
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 530):

"See I like you Buck I really do. $950 is a discount rate I would hate to see your cut my throat rate."

This message was last updated by the GM at 19:36, Fri 17 July 2015.

Buck Masterson
 NPC, 15 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 20:52
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jason Sinclair:
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 530):

"See I like you Buck I really do. $950 is a discount rate I would hate to see your cut my throat rate."


Buck laughed, then replied, "well now my cut-throat rate is "shut the hell up!"

"Look, ya'all gonna call the Mayor or what? Got his number right here. But someone's gonna pay my price or we ain't goin' nowhere."


He got out a Rolodex and, after some flipping, found a well-used business card with the Mayor's assistant's number on it. "There."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1156 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Fri 17 Jul 2015
at 21:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Buck Masterson:
Jason Sinclair:
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 530):

"See I like you Buck I really do. $950 is a discount rate I would hate to see your cut my throat rate."


Buck laughed, then replied, "well now my cut-throat rate is "shut the hell up!"

"Look, ya'all gonna call the Mayor or what? Got his number right here. But someone's gonna pay my price or we ain't goin' nowhere."


He got out a Rolodex and, after some flipping, found a well-used business card with the Mayor's assistant's number on it. "There."

 Rowan Bristles. "Jason shut the fuck up I made an agreement with this gentleman and you have just shamed me and him by trying to rewrite it". "Now back the fuck off and let him and I talk like normal people with out threats"
Jane Guin
 player, 617 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 00:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Since the guy already said he didn't like Jane, Jane went to stand by somebody who did like her.  She went and stood over by Peter and gave him a hip bump.  "Did you see my new toy? Whatcha think?"
Jason Sinclair
 player, 257 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 15:21
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 533):

"As you command Rowan. Oh and I wasn't threatening anyone or rewrite shit. Merely commenting that I would hate to see his cut my damned throat rate as in him charging quadruple or some crazy shit. If I wanted to threaten anyone I simply do or have you forgotten Modeen."Jason says in a completely non-threatening manner until he says Modeen. When he says Modeen his voice turns deep and resonant. He walks away without another word. Taking a place by himself against a wall. He starts checking his gear and waits to be ordered to move out.
Smoker Nix
 player, 743 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 18 Jul 2015
at 15:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Cool it, guys," said Smoker suddenly.

"Everybody's got to earn a living, and we all want to survive. A balance can be found, let's keep it civilised."
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 16 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Sun 19 Jul 2015
at 10:50
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 533):

Buck smiled a little, then sipped his coffee.

"Oh, don't worry ma'am, I know that "cut-throat" is just an expression. I didn't take it as no threat. No one's got their nose out of joint here, right? I heard some of you were caught up in that ruckus over at City Hall, so we're all a little on edge." He looked from Rowan to Jason, then back again.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1157 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sun 19 Jul 2015
at 11:09
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Buck Masterson:
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 533):

Buck smiled a little, then sipped his coffee.

"Oh, don't worry ma'am, I know that "cut-throat" is just an expression. I didn't take it as no threat. No one's got their nose out of joint here, right? I heard some of you were caught up in that ruckus over at City Hall, so we're all a little on edge." He looked from Rowan to Jason, then back again.

 Rowan Scratches her ear, slightly irritated.
"Yes that is correct unfortunately. And some one was taken that I swore oaths to protect".
"Now I must follow into areas I am not well trained to operate in".

She sighs "I know you are unwilling to operate below the First level, but I must in all consciousness ask you to reconsider that fact, the person we seek to retrieve is very, very important as a central nexus to what is happening".
"I will pay you out of my own funds in convoy script even if I have to go short on things I wanted"

Buck Masterson
 NPC, 17 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Sun 19 Jul 2015
at 11:17
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 538):

He looked at Rowan, considering. "Ah... No. I can't. Too dangerous. I think I can get you through Sub-Level One safely. But Two is too far."
Jason Sinclair
 player, 258 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Tue 21 Jul 2015
at 21:12
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Buck Masterson (msg # 539):

"If we have to go to Level 2 Rowan we will. Simple as that. Simon is far to important to let anything happen to. To you he may be a friend or leader to me and my kind he is something of a religious leader. We spend our lives in service to others. Fact is I will get him back if I have to find Level 99 of this complex if such a thing exists. The Combine was an Enemy before this. Now they are literally my number one target. Silas' Doomies can wait until such time as the COmbine is weakened to the point where I don't have to watch my back in their direction."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1158 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 21 Jul 2015
at 22:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jason Sinclair:
In reply to Buck Masterson (msg # 539):

"If we have to go to Level 2 Rowan we will. Simple as that. Simon is far to important to let anything happen to. To you he may be a friend or leader to me and my kind he is something of a religious leader. We spend our lives in service to others. Fact is I will get him back if I have to find Level 99 of this complex if such a thing exists. The Combine was an Enemy before this. Now they are literally my number one target. Silas' Doomies can wait until such time as the COmbine is weakened to the point where I don't have to watch my back in their direction."

Rowan very softly. "Oh he is far far much more than I can express".
"But you are correct in what you say Jason"

Smoker Nix
 player, 744 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 22 Jul 2015
at 15:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"I too will go to the ends - or the depths - of the earth to retrieve Simon," said Smoker. He wasn't quite sure just why it mattered so much to him, he just knew it did!
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 18 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Thu 23 Jul 2015
at 10:54
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 542):

Buck nodded approvingly.

"Hey, the journey of a thousand miles starts with me getting paid, ya'all."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1159 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Thu 23 Jul 2015
at 18:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Buck Masterson:
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 542):

Buck nodded approvingly.

"Hey, the journey of a thousand miles starts with me getting paid, ya'all."

Rowan lets get moving people
Jason Sinclair
 player, 259 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Fri 24 Jul 2015
at 17:03
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 544):

"Here is most of it." Jason hands over 500 of his widgets.

Ifd absolutely needed Jason can hand over an added 300 widgets but he is trying to give a little to charity.
Smoker Nix
 player, 745 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 14:56
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker gets his wallet out and chips in with 100 widgets.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1160 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 25 Jul 2015
at 22:21
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker Nix:
Smoker gets his wallet out and chips in with 100 widgets.

Rowan hands over enough credits to seal the deal

As she walks out she can be heard singing softly

lyrics

 
She came to me one morning, one lonely Sunday morning,
 Her long hair flowing in the mid-winter wind.
 I know not how she found me, for in darkness I was walking,
 And destruction lay around me from a fight I could not win.

 She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men
 To fight and kill their brothers without thought of men or god.
 I begged her give me the means to throw down my enemies,
 So eager was my passion to end this waste of life.

 But she would not think of battle that reduces men to animals,
 So easy to begin and yet impossible to end.
 For she the mother of all men had counselled me so wisely that
 I feared to walk alone again and asked if she would stay.

“Oh lady lend your hand,” I cried, “Oh let me rest here at your side.”
 “Have faith and trust in me,” she said and filled my heart with life.
“There is no strength in numbers. have no such misconceptions.
 But when you need me be assured I won’t be far away.”

Thus having spoke she turned away and though I found no words to say
 I stood and watched until I saw her black cloak disappear.
 My labour is no easier, but now I know I’m not alone.
 I find new heart each time I think upon that windy day.
 And if one day she comes to you drink deeply from her words so wise.
 Take courage from her as your prize and say hello for me.

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 375 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 01:16
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Buck Masterson (msg # 529):

Kurt had been rather quiet during the negotiations, but now money was changing hands he spoke up."All right since you have a phone could you call the Mayor and see if he will spot your fee on our behalf. Gets people down there quicker and gets you a guarantee from ya mate. What do you say ?"

Kurt thought it was worth a try at least.
Jane Guin
 player, 619 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 04:01
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 546):

Jane didn't need the money before so she chips that in also (200 cr).

Then she goes back to stand by Peter, just waiting for the shit to hit the fan like it usually does sooner or later.
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 19 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 09:05
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 548):

He nodded, rolling a cigarette. "All right, fine. If that'll get this show on the road, then so be it."

The telephone was old but serviceable. Most people before the war used mobile phones of some kind for private communication. Landlines were common only in businesses. Many had survived in the industrial hell-hole of Junkyard, shielded by its immense Ghost Steel dome from the effects of several nuclear strikes and Ghost Rock bombs.

Using the scuffed and grimy desk phone, Buck called up the Mayor's office as he lit his smoke. He talked to Mayor Ike's secretary, explaining that the posse needed his help to track the Combine infiltrators that had kidnapped Simon and taken him down into the Underground. That he would go no further than Sublevel One and his price was $950 Widgets.

Ashing out, Buck nodded and handed the phone to Schaeffer. "Here ya go, Hoss. The Mayor wants to talk to you."
Ike Turner
 NPC, 5 posts
 Mayor of Junkyard
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 09:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Buck Masterson (msg # 550):

The voice on the other end was Mayor Ike, the chief of the city of Junkyard.

"I guess if you're following Simon, you gotta hire Buck if you want to go Down. That about the size of it?"
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 376 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sun 26 Jul 2015
at 18:59
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Ike Turner (msg # 551):

Kurt took the phone and placed it to his ear.
"Yea, that's about the size of it."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 626 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 17:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter restrained the urge to put an arm around Jane after hip bump...purely to steady himself from being off-balance, of course! He gave her a nod and quick, small smile. "I did see that. We have both acquired some new toys today. I would be happier if we were not going to have to use them soon and I had more confidence that we could actually take that drone down."

He glanced at Jane when things got tense and then Schaeffer called the Mayor.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:34, Mon 27 July 2015.

Buck Masterson
 NPC, 20 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 20:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 552):

Bock took the phone back, spoke a few words to seal the agreement, then hung up.

He pushed the pile of Widgets back over the desk.

"All right. Ya'all are off the hook for the money. We'll take a moment to get prepped and then down we go. Everyone got a flashlight or two? We got torches. Electric and the burning time."
Trickster
 NPC, 43 posts
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 20:43
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 547):

The coyote came out of his hiding place near the building and came over to Rowan, nuzzling her.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1162 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Mon 27 Jul 2015
at 20:45
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Trickster (msg # 555):

Rowan cuddles trickster, she knows she has to go down there deep down into her fear.

"Are you coming with me little friend it is dark and deep underground"

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:24, Tue 28 July 2015.

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 377 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 02:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Buck Masterson (msg # 554):

"Understood. Does anyone need anything before we depart ?" He was running through his gear in his head and apart from his weapons lights he did not have a hand held source of light. Either way he was unlikely to be without illumination, but if anyone was going to the general store he would tag along.
Vundra
 player, 189 posts
 Junker
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 03:13
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra hold up a large junker flashlight. "One of you can have this , I don't really need it and I need both hand for the cannon."

This message was last edited by the player at 12:44, Tue 28 July 2015.

Smoker Nix
 player, 746 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 07:56
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"I could carry it for you if you like," offered Smoker.
Trickster
 NPC, 44 posts
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 09:25
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Rowan Dawson:
In reply to Trickster (msg # 555):

Rowan cuddles trickster, she knows she has to go down there deep down into her fear.

"Are you coming with me little friend it is dark and deep underground"


The coyote whined, "do I really need to go? I don't want to! Not under the ground! It's not like some safe, warm burrow!"
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1163 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 09:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Trickster:
Rowan Dawson:
In reply to Trickster (msg # 555):

Rowan cuddles trickster, she knows she has to go down there deep down into her fear.

"Are you coming with me little friend it is dark and deep underground"


The coyote whined, "do I really need to go? I don't want to! Not under the ground! It's not like some safe, warm burrow!"

 Rowan "no you do not have to go and I will not force you to."
"Trickster I will get you taken out side the city and then come and find you when I return"

Trickster
 NPC, 45 posts
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 09:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 561):

Trickster yipped and growled. Rowan understood due to her mystical connection to her familiar.

"Well, I guess that would be all right. It's not like I can stay in a kennel with the dogs. Being put in a cage would drive me crazy!"
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1164 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 09:44
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Trickster:
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 561):

Trickster yipped and growled. Rowan understood due to her mystical connection to her familiar.

"Well, I guess that would be all right. It's not like I can stay in a kennel with the dogs. Being put in a cage would drive me crazy!"


Can Rowan get some one to take Trickster out side the city
The Marshall
 GM, 2121 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 09:52
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Inside, Buck went over everyone's gear.

Except for Peter, everyone had a flashlight of some kind to attach to their weapon. Rowan and Smoker both had night vision goggles of an advanced type that would even allow them to aim down their weapon sights.

Buck tsked at the lack of food reserves. The gruelling overland trip on foot had used up the Posse's reserves of food. (Marshall's Note: all the food listed on your character sheets is now used up and hasn't been replaced.)

Tallying up the running total so far:

Peter:

40 shotgun slugs for his auto-shotgun for $200.
45 rounds of .50 for the M2HB for $225.
Advanced Combat Rifle for $1000.
150 rounds of 5.56mm for $150 + 5 magazines for $100.
12 special microchip rounds of 20mm for $240.

Total = $1915

Smoker

$100 Fifty rounds of 7.62mm NATO.
$1000 One pr. Night Vision Goggles

Total = $1100

Rowan

$1000 One pr. Night Vision Goggles

Schaeffer

$1000   G22
$500    100x rounds 4mm AP
$500    100x rounds 4mm Ball

Total = $2000

Vundra

$150 Junker Flashlight/Battery
$50  1 day's rations
$200 to Jane (not needed)


Jason

$200 2x M67 Fragmentation grenades

Jane

$2000 Anti-Tank Rocket
Jane Guin
 player, 620 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 15:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
When Jane heard that her $200 wasn't needed she looked over at the group.  "Vundra?  I didn't need your loan but it was appreciated.  What about getting food if we can?  I think that our reserves are low."
Vundra
 player, 191 posts
 Junker
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 15:45
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra take the money back from rowan with a nod and hand the flash light to  Smoker.
Smoker Nix
 player, 748 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 15:49
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Peter, did you say you didn't have a flashlight?" asked Smoker, remembering he'd just picked up some NVGs.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 629 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 18:04
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter shook his head and let out a sigh. "Buck, I take it this might be a lengthy journey and we should purchase rations? If so, we should go do that now and quickly before we head down."

He glanced at Smoker and gave a small smile that disappeared quickly. "I do not normally carry one since I have the night vision goggles. It does not hurt to be prepared, I suppose, but carrying a flashlight or other lightsource while in a dark place strikes me as a good way to be a target."
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 378 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Tue 28 Jul 2015
at 20:31
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...

"Yes I am out of food to. Here I will help with the rations." He heads to the store with Buck and anyone else who is going. If they get the chance to stop by somewhere Kurt can buy armaments he will quickly go in.
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 21 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Wed 29 Jul 2015
at 10:05
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 568):

He nodded, thoughtfully.

"I would hope you are in and out. So maybe food isn't essential. But I would take a meal at least. Could be down a long time.

"Sorry, Pete. Didn't see your Night Vision Goggle rig there. If it's Gen V then it should be fine. If not, you'll still need a flashlight 'cept with an IR filter."

Rowan Dawson
 player, 1166 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Wed 29 Jul 2015
at 18:04
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer:
"Yes I am out of food to. Here I will help with the rations." He heads to the store with Buck and anyone else who is going. If they get the chance to stop by somewhere Kurt can buy armaments he will quickly go in.

 Rowan heads with her love to get rations.
Settling for 100$ worth of Milrats. and two days worth of fresh
Peter Firecrow
 player, 631 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 30 Jul 2015
at 18:31
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter gave a small smile to Buck. "Gen VI, actually."

He then trotted after Rowan and the Colonel to buy some milrats as well. He will purchase 3 milrats for $60 (unless there is a markup).
Smoker Nix
 player, 750 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Fri 31 Jul 2015
at 08:00
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker picks up 3 milrats as well.
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 22 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Fri 31 Jul 2015
at 10:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 572):

"Gen V, huh? I hear those are thermal and low-light. You must be a pretty well-heeled feller."

Buck had a stockpile of Milrats and was willing to sell without marking up beyond the nominal $20 each.

Unfortunately, Schaeffer had already been to the armoury and had spent his $1000 in Junkyard Widgets on a G22 and ammunition. He only had $13 in trade goods.

"Maybe you can get your girlfriend to load you some scratch, Colonel? And while we can go by a gun store I wouldn't recommend spending more time on the surface."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1169 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Fri 31 Jul 2015
at 19:24
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Buck Masterson:
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 572):

"Gen V, huh? I hear those are thermal and low-light. You must be a pretty well-heeled feller."


"Maybe you can get your girlfriend to load you some scratch, Colonel? And while we can go by a gun store I wouldn't recommend spending more time on the surface."

 Rowan looks at her love with a smile on her face, "what are you needing my love " she asks lovingly
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 379 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Fri 31 Jul 2015
at 20:09
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 575):

Kurt gives Rowan a wink before asking for three or four days worth of food. Turning to Buck he adds: "Yea lets just get down below and get on with this. I have a contact that I will call in as well, could probably use any extra muscle we can get."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1170 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Fri 31 Jul 2015
at 20:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer:
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 575):

Kurt gives Rowan a wink before asking for three or four days worth of food. Turning to Buck he adds: "Yea lets just get down below and get on with this. I have a contact that I will call in as well, could probably use any extra muscle we can get."

Rowan smiles and strokes his face "only three my love here's 100 in convoy script better get that in food"
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 23 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Mon 3 Aug 2015
at 11:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Opening a locked metal cabinet, Buck took out cardboard Milrat boxes containing Mylar bags of preserved food.

"Lucky I kept a lot of this stuff when my unit called it quits. Still as good as the day it was made."

He put three Milrats packs in front of Smoker, three in front of Peter, ten in front of Jane and five in front of Rowan.

"That'll be twenty each. You're gettin' the "friends of the Mayor" discount." Eying the Colonel's massive sniper rifle he commented, "probably ain't gonna need that cannon down there. You can store it up here, I got lockers and it won't go missing. I see you got an M4 and one a' them German G22s... you should do fine."
Smoker Nix
 player, 751 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Mon 3 Aug 2015
at 12:52
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Thank you," said Smoker and paid up. He reckoned they were pretty inedible when first issued, so staying that way wasn't too hard: still, they'd keep body and soul together and beat starving, anyways.
Jane Guin
 player, 622 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Mon 3 Aug 2015
at 21:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 579):

Jane didn't quibble and paid the man.  It wouldn't be the first time that she had to eat the food and actually sometimes she missed it.  She blinked at that thought and quickly looked around to make sure she hadn't said that out loud.
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 24 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Tue 4 Aug 2015
at 02:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Buck nodded as they paid. He said as an aside to Rowan, "I have some military-grade flashlights. %50. they can clip to a headstrap or a helmet. Hold 'em in your hand or clip it to your clothing or weapon."
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 380 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Tue 4 Aug 2015
at 02:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 577):

"Cheers my dear. Well that should be enough food unless something goes drastically wrong. I'll go rustle up some help and then we can get a moving."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:41, Tue 04 Aug 2015.

Peter Firecrow
 player, 633 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 5 Aug 2015
at 17:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter gave a nod to Buck for the milrats, "Thank you. It saves us the time to go to market and come back." He set about storing the milrats into his pack, then got his gear ready but left the goggles on his forehead rather than his eyes for the moment. "Is everyone ready?"
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 25 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Wed 5 Aug 2015
at 20:48
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 583):

Buck checked with an underling.

"Ya'all seem to be kitted up proper. Vehicles are prepped and ready to go. You want to park your wagon in my yard, Mister Firecrow?"
Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 53 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Wed 5 Aug 2015
at 20:50
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 583):

The front door jangled as someone entered.

There was a knock on the door of the conference room where they were gathered.

Fred, the Librarian and Simon's personal assistant, stuck his head in the door. "Excuse me for interrupting. I'm glad I caught you before you left.

"Jason, may I have a word? Outside."

Jane Guin
 player, 624 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 5 Aug 2015
at 20:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter Firecrow:
Peter gave a nod to Buck for the milrats, "Thank you. It saves us the time to go to market and come back." He set about storing the milrats into his pack, then got his gear ready but left the goggles on his forehead rather than his eyes for the moment. "Is everyone ready?"



Jane finished stowing her rations and new stuff and grinned at Peter.  "Are we ever totally ready?  Where's the fun in that."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 635 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 5 Aug 2015
at 21:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter looked at Buck and said with a deadpanned face, "Not on the first date, Mister." Then he gave a nod and hurried outside to take care of his truck. Anyone close enough might have heard him talking quietly to the truck, but then again maybe he was just crazy?
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 26 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Wed 5 Aug 2015
at 21:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 587):

Buck rolled his eyes at Peter's rejoinder. "Suit yourself, pardner. Ya'all might want to listen to what... never mind."

He continued for the benefit of those who remained, "ok, the plan is we drive part of the tour route in, then "cut trail" to pick up where the Black Hats went off to. Once they no doubt go down to Sub Level Two, you will need to go it on foot. (Peter can leave his truck there, where it will soon be stolen and stripped.) After that point, you are on your own. I will make an arrangement to meet with you at the RV point in four hours, then twelve, then twenty four. As well, I will designate a couple alternative RV points.

"The militia will begin their sweep in twelve hours but you are on your own until then."


He proceeded to the map. "I know a way to drive down into the Down Below through an old garage. From there, we make our way on to the Crosstown Underground Expressway, which is otherwise blocked, and travel to the area where the Combine would need to traverse to get to underneath City Hall. From there we track them where they go. I think they are going down to Sub-Level Two.

"The Moorlocks are a gang that lives in the Down Under. There are about a hundred of them, many are families and other refugees. They get by through dealing drugs and selling salvage on the surface black market, stuff only they know about that's stashed in the Down Below. Caches, hidden Hellstromme and Deseret Army bunkers, unlooted storerooms and warehouses, and so on.

"Folks up here say they are cannibals but that's pure baloney. Those rumours were fed by the hundred Junkyard militia that disappeared down there a year or two ago. It is hard to grow food down there and it's illegal to sell to a Moorlock or otherwise feed them, so they are very hungry people. Good thing you bought them MREs. Could feed a family for a week on one 'a them. Just sayin'. It's illegal to make arrangements with Moorlocks but I can guarantee we won't be hassled on Sub Level One.

"But there is another Moorlock crew. About ten, twenty. Maybe more? Those guys could well be fuckin' cannibals! They run a drug lab down there and are always fuckin' wasted. Crazy bastards. They live down in Sub Level Two and man, they go after anyone entering their turf without mercy or even sanity. They keep dogs and worse, mutie creatures. They could be muties themselves. When stay out of their turf and we see those guys up on One we shoot to kill. You'll know them by their crazy spiked leather outfits, mowhawks, and pale skin."

Jane Guin
 player, 625 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Thu 6 Aug 2015
at 12:36
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
If anybody knew how possessive Peter was about the truck Jane did.  On the other hand she didn't want it to be stripped and, as some of their own party members could testify to, anything left out in the open or unguarded would not could be stripped.  She looked over at Peter and frowned.  Finally as he was walking past she put out hand to him.  "Put the truck with him.  It's your only chance of getting it back and you know it.  There I said it.  Now if you don't and you don't get it back, I have bragging rights of saying 'I told you so'."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 637 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 6 Aug 2015
at 15:53
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter raised an eyebrow at Jane as he stopped and looked at her. "Oh, what would I do without you and your wisdom to guide me?" He gave her a little smirk. I was going outside in order to do so, Jane, but thank you for your concern and desire to later say you told me so." He gave an amused snort as he turned away and headed outside to get the truck settled.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 381 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sun 9 Aug 2015
at 21:48
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...

Kurt made the call from the local bar, outlining what was going on and where his friend could meet them before they went down. He took in the local colour as he spoke to his friend.
The Marshall
 GM, 2135 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 12 Aug 2015
at 11:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 591):

While Simon and Jason talked, Schaeffer placed his call.
Feldwebel Laurin Knapp
 NPC, 1 post
 German
 Airborne Ranger
Wed 12 Aug 2015
at 11:07
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 591):

That they had a working telephone at all was a miracle, even if it was telecommunications of a very outdated and obsolete kind before the war. After, it was a miracle!

After a few minutes wait, his old Sergeant came on the line, speaking in German.

"Ya, herr Leutnant... pardon, herr Oberst. I have been waiting for this call. Ever since word got out of Simon's capture and the Combine's escape underground, I have been calling in favours and gathering equipment I thought we might need. Can you pick me up in fifteen minutes in front of the Edge Bar in downtown Junkyard?"

It was surprising to hear how fast word had gotten around, but perhaps not so surprising after all.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:17, Fri 14 Aug 2015.

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 383 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Thu 13 Aug 2015
at 15:54
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Feldwebel Laurin Knapp (msg # 593):

Jawohl, Feldwebel. I'll be there. The Colonel hung up the phone and asked the barkeep for directions. It was good to see that there still was Verlass, ah, that it was still possible to rely on the old bonds of comradeship.

Quickly informing the posse, Schaeffer made his way to the RV.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:36, Thu 13 Aug 2015.

Peter Firecrow
 player, 639 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 13 Aug 2015
at 16:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter came back inside a few minutes after he left, truck settled in where it would hopefully not be molested or stolen. He stepped close to Jane and asked what he'd missed. Assuming someone had updates him on what had been said, he looked a bit....surprised or something but gave a nod. "Good to know."

He shook his head. "I think we are just waiting on whatever the Colonel is up to at this point?"
The Marshall
 GM, 2137 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Fri 14 Aug 2015
at 07:18
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 595):

Simon and Jason were still in conversation.
Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 53 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 08:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Fred said, as they were leaving to pick up the Colonel's friend,

"We will catch up to you. I have spoken to Buck, I know where you will make your entrance."

Jason just nodded. "Don't worry. Wouldn't miss this for the world."

This message was last edited by the player at 08:40, Thu 20 Aug 2015.

Buck Masterson
 NPC, 27 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 02:39
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Masterson got them all situated in two of his "tour vehicles".

These were SUVs converted to be open-topped, each with a pintle-mounted 5.56mm SAW on the roll-bar.

"These will get us to where we can cut trail on them pole-cats. First, we'll be heading to the Edge bar to pick up the Colonel's friends, right?"
The Marshall
 GM, 2140 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 02:54
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Meanwhile, at the Edge Bar...

The Edge was a bar (sort of) on the side of a 5-story building. Junkyard's dome had spared it from the city-busters and MIRVed nukes and Ghost Rock bombs that bracketed it during Judgement day, taking out Hill Deseret Air Corps Base to the north and Salt Lake City to the south. But there was some rioting among the thousands of survivors under the Steel Sky. The Edge was built from mass of scaffolding that had been set up encasing a building undergoing renovation. To escape the rioters, a band of survivors had pulled up the ladders and destroyed the ramps that had allowed workers access to the scaffolding surrounding the building's outer facade. The building itself was hollowed out inside and there was no way up.

The riots were quickly put down and most of the survivors left. Some stayed, and one opened a bar. Now all four levels of scaffolding were occupied. The wood and steel platforms were sturdy enough, and clear thick sheeting provided protection from the elements. A generator was added, as well as a kitchen, three bars and plenty of tables for gambling. Plumbing was hooked up to the building system and they were in business!

It mainly catered to mercenaries and other ex-military personnel.

Parked outside the building was a cargo Humvee. on the bed was secured a large load of some kind under a tarp. The female Junkyard Militia driver lounged outside, smoking a cigarette. She was armed with an NA assault rifle (Licence-built Steyr-AUG).

There was a wooden ramp up to the lowest level.

Inside, on the highest level, Feldwebel Laurin Knapp stood beside a battered old casino card table. Seated was a poorly-shaved male Militia Sergeant, and another man in CS fatigues.

"Awright," the Sergeant said. "Five card stud. No draws, no wild cards. Double or nothing on the batteries. Good thing you're a friend of a friend, Trask." He shuffled the cards, then offered them to Trask to cut.

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:39, Thu 20 Aug 2015.

Increase Trask
 player, 1 post
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 09:45
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 599):

Teusk cuts the deck and hands it back to the sergeant;

”Friend of a friend, why Macon does this mean we're not friends ? You know Macon, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!”
The Marshall
 GM, 2141 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 10:59
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Increase Trask (msg # 600):

When Trask cut the deck, he took a drag on his cigar. He was a balding black man in his fifties, with a salt-and-pepper goatee. He had a lot of muscle, going to fat. Macon (not his real name, but where he came from) spoke in the lazy drawl of his native central Georgia.

"Life's full of disappointments, son. You should know that by now."

Dealing out five cards each, he picked up his own hand. As this was just straight five-card stud with no raising or bluffing, he made a sour face. "Awright. Let's see 'em."

Puffing on his cigar he laid down his hand. He had a pair of sevens. "Whaddaya got?"

This message was last updated by the GM at 10:59, Thu 20 Aug 2015.

Peter Firecrow
 player, 640 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 14:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter eyed the scaffolding 'building' with a critical look for a long moment as they pulled up. It seemed sturdy, of course, but like much of Junkyard it sort of offended his Ravenite sensibilities a bit. "Colonel? We are retrieving friends of yours here, is that what you said?"
Increase Trask
 player, 2 posts
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 19:03
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 601):

Trask placed his cards face down in a neat pile in front of him. "Disappointment... yes. Just not today I believe." With that he leans slightly forward in his chair and fans his hand after turning the cards over.

"Full house, Macon. Tens and Queens..." A wide grin appears on his face as Trusk sits back in his chair again and places his leg across the other as he waits for the sergeant to show his hand.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:04, Thu 20 Aug 2015.

Macon
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 21:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Increase Trask (msg # 603):

Macon blew out a cloud of smoke with an angry sigh. He leaned back and crossed his arms.

"Goddamn it son, that's the Devil's luck. All right, you come back alive and both batteries are yours. If not, your suit is mine (If I can get it out). Go on, git outta here!"
Feldwebel Laurin Knapp
 NPC, 2 posts
 Fernspaeher
 German Ranger
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 21:32
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Macon (msg # 604):

Knapp talked briefly with a club bouncer.

"Trask, get your things together, it's time to move! I am informed that our transport has arrived."

She picked up a gear bag, slung her G22 on one shoulder. "Pick up the anti-tank rocket beside you, ya?"
Increase Trask
 player, 3 posts
Thu 20 Aug 2015
at 22:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Macon (msg # 604):

"Of course my friend. If my suit is down there and available for salvage I shall not be needing it." And with that he placed his hat back on his head and tipped it towards Macon as he looked to leave.
He turns and replies to Laurin. "What so soon. Good day Gentlemen it has been a pleasure. Should I return there shall be one hell of a card game looking for players."
He then picks up the rocket and follows the lady from the saloon. As he catches up he adds "Goodness me Laurin I do believe you are not wearing a bustle. How lewd!" He gives the woman a wink as he loads up the small amount of gear he is hauling.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:37, Fri 21 Aug 2015.

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 388 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Fri 21 Aug 2015
at 16:05
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 602):

"Ya Peter. My oldest surviving friend thath is. Haven't seen her for a year or two." The Colonel smiled. Laurin was indeed his oldest friend this side of the Atlantic. They had gone through basic training, paratrooper training and NCO school together. They had been friends, then lovers and after Schaeffer left the Fallschirmjäger to become a Fernspäher and a sniper they had reverted to being friends again.
"Laurin will be of much help, yes?"
Jason Sinclair
 player, 261 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Fri 21 Aug 2015
at 20:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Okay Fred so what is with all the cloak and dagger? I think that we need to hurry to find the Grandmaster before Throckmorton gets his hands on him." Jason says with not quite as well as concealed as normal haste. He almost seems to be scared if a Ranger and now Templar could be said to be such a thing. The question is scared of what. The Underground? Nah that was just another monster nest to be cleared out. Losing Simon was the far more likely answer.
Fred Biletnikoff
 NPC, 53 posts
 Librarian
 Companion
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 19:13
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jason Sinclair (msg # 608):

Fredspoke low and quietly. He was carrying something long, wrapped in a cloak.


He handed the package to Jason. "Go now, this person will take you to meet the others."

One of Buck's guides was waiting on an idling offroad motorcycle. She gunned the throttle, eager to be away.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:13, Sat 22 Aug 2015.

Feldwebel Laurin Knapp
 NPC, 3 posts
 Fernspaeher
 German Ranger
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 06:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 607):

When Laurin saw Schaeffer, she almost hesitated, but followed through with a salute. Smiling, she then shook his hand. "Yes, sir. It will be good to fight at your side again."

Her tabs still showed she was a Pioniertruppen, a combat engineer, which had been her path after she herself left the Fallschirmjägers. Indeed, she still looked like she was carrying a lot of gear, much of it explosive in nature.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1176 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 11:18
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Feldwebel Laurin Knapp:
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 607):

When Laurin saw Schaeffer, she almost hesitated, but followed through with a salute. Smiling, she then shook his hand. "Yes, sir. It will be good to fight at your side again."

Her tabs still showed she was a Pioniertruppen, a combat engineer, which had been her path after she herself left the Fallschirmjägers. Indeed, she still looked like she was carrying a lot of gear, much of it explosive in nature.

 Rowan Watches the play a slight smile on her face, but makes no move waiting to see what her love will do.
Jane Guin
 player, 628 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 15:54
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane stayed by Peter but looked Laurin over.  If the Colonel vouched for her then she'd be ok.  It didn't mean that she could easily fit in but then, looking around at the gathered group, they all had their moments of not fitting in.  Hell, even Jane hadn't immediately fit in and if Laurin had worked with the Colonel before she would give her the benefit of the doubt.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 390 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 16:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Feldwebel Laurin Knapp:
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 607):

When Laurin saw Schaeffer, she almost hesitated, but followed through with a salute. Smiling, she then shook his hand. "Yes, sir. It will be good to fight at your side again."

Her tabs still showed she was a Pioniertruppen, a combat engineer, which had been her path after she herself left the Fallschirmjägers. Indeed, she still looked like she was carrying a lot of gear, much of it explosive in nature.


The Colonel snapped to attention and returned Feldwebel Knapp's salute. Then he took her hand and with a smile on his face pulled her into a short hug, made akward thanks to body armor, weapons, spare mags, explosives and other equipment. Releasing Laurin, he turned to the posse.
"Everyone, meet Laurin Knapp." He the proceeded to introduce Laurin to the posse.
Smoker Nix
 player, 755 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 16:53
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Hi, I'm Smoker. Welcome..." said Smoker, stepping up and offering a hand.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1177 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 17:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker Nix:
"Hi, I'm Smoker. Welcome..." said Smoker, stepping up and offering a hand.

 rowan says nothing pointedly she waits for Shaeffer to introduce her
Vundra
 player, 194 posts
 Junker
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 17:18
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra gives a nod but his eyes seem distance. He look lost in his own world.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 641 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 17:43
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter looked over the newcomer(s) with a critical eye and then gave Laurin a nod. "Hello. It is good to have more capable hands with firearms in them for this."
Increase Trask
 player, 4 posts
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 19:10
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Feldwebel Laurin Knapp (msg # 610):

Having placed the rocket in the humvee Trusk makes his way to Laurin's side having stopped to give the militia woman a heart felt thank you for her time guarding his rig and an invitation for a drink should he return.

Seeing Laurin talking to another group he wanders over.
The Marshall
 GM, 2143 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 19:17
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Outside, the groups met up.

After Schaeffer introduced Laurin to Rowan, she shook her hand. Laurin was a now-middle-aged woman. It was clear she'd been a soldier for a long time. Her eyes betrayed the fears common to most Wasters, but she did look glad to see her friend.

The militia sergeant, Macon, followed another ex-CSA soldier down to the ground. Macon started getting his people ready to move. The Confederate walked over. He seemed to know Laurin.

This message was last updated by the GM at 19:17, Sat 22 Aug 2015.

Feldwebel Laurin Knapp
 NPC, 4 posts
 Fernspaeher
 German Ranger
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 19:24
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 619):

"Rowan, it is a pleasure to meet you. Kurt and I met for drinks when he got into town a day or so ago, and he mentioned you. He seems rather fold of you".

Laurin looked sideways at the Col., perhaps wondering about the widom of taking one's lover on such an obviously perilous journey.

"And everyone, this is a friend of mine. His name is Trask. Increase Trask. I imagine his help will be... useful where we must go to rescue Simon." She indicated the former Confederate soldier who had accompanied her down from the bar.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1178 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 19:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Feldwebel Laurin Knapp:
She indicated the former Confederate soldier who had accompanied her down from the bar.

Rowan eyes and manor say it all "the circle is wide indeed Feldwebel Knapp".
"I am happy that my love has found more of his people, I wish I had been so fortunate". "But not much good comes across old man river theses days and one fights lights path with what one is given".

Increase Trask
 player, 5 posts
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 20:06
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Feldwebel Laurin Knapp (msg # 620):

"Just Trask friend... It is a pleasure to meet such fine folk on such a pleasant day I am sure we will be fast friends. I believe you are having a problem with some droids ?"

Trask is dressed in a somewhat faded set of CSA fatigues and has an old C.S.A. Cavalry Campaign hat, Model 1876 on his head. His only other gear is a black webbing belt and a cross draw shoulder rig with the grip of a revolver poking out.
He sports a rather large salt and pepper handle bar moustache and his large frame is still well muscled. He has as yet not gone to seed even though you would probably put him in his mid to late forties.

-
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1179 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 20:12
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Increase Trask (msg # 622):

Rowan's voice changes slightly from the challenge mode to open and friendly.
"Good morning Trask I see the gallantry of the south is not yet ended."
"I am Rowan healer, and general pain in the neck". "Welcome to the gathering"
"Shall we get tis circus on the road Shaefer?"


COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 391 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 20:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Feldwebel Laurin Knapp:
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 619):

"Rowan, it is a pleasure to meet you. Kurt and I met for drinks when he got into town a day or so ago, and he mentioned you. He seems rather fold of you".

Laurin looked sideways at the Col., perhaps wondering about the widom of taking one's lover on such an obviously perilous journey.

"And everyone, this is a friend of mine. His name is Trask. Increase Trask. I imagine his help will be... useful where we must go to rescue Simon." She indicated the former Confederate soldier who had accompanied her down from the bar.


The Colonel stepped over to Rowan and put his arm around her shoulders. "Don't worry about Rowan, Laurin. She can hold her own."
As the southerner approached the group and then introduced himself, Schaeffer held out his hand to shake. "Pleasure to meet you, Trask. If Laurin vouches for you, you're good in my book. So what's your MOS?"

In answer to Rowan's question the Colonel nodded. Right, my love. If everyone's ready?"
Increase Trask
 player, 6 posts
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 20:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 624):

"Well as I said if you got a problem of the automation persuasion then that's my bag. If you need to beef a tin hat then I've got your back." He looks at the others before asking "So you'all got some connection to the hostage ?"
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1180 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 21:10
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Increase Trask (msg # 625):
Rowan voice is flat tense and barely under control

"Guild master Simon is very very important to the continuation of the Templars and a personal friend". "Aside from that my oath binds me, I will walk into hell itself to see him bought back". "So mote it be"
Increase Trask
 player, 7 posts
Sat 22 Aug 2015
at 21:44
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 626):

"Right... well this is my first time taking out one of those bitches with a meat bag on it's shoulders. No worries we will get him back in one piece. I am already up on this deal so smiles all round, aye ?" Trask throws a look back at the humvee. "Well should we get this show on the road ?"

Perhaps his luck had finally changed he had just relived Macon of a sizeable whack of dinero with his best hand in months. He had fallen in with Laurin and now had met these nice folks. Even his last bust had really not been that bad, sure he lost all his money, possessions, his rifle and ammunition, but he managed to hold on to his rig. Maybe things were looking up.

-

This message was last edited by the player at 01:12, Sun 23 Aug 2015.

Feldwebel Laurin Knapp
 NPC, 5 posts
 Fernspaeher
 German Ranger
Mon 24 Aug 2015
at 08:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 624):

Laurin replied, "I have some gifts for our friends."

Opening her pack, she handed out two M167 fragmentation grenades, an M17 tear gas grenade and an M118 smoke cannister each to Peter, Jane, Rowan, Smoker, Trask and Vundra.

"These should come in handy when fighting underground, yes>? I trust the Colonel is already supplied with these munitions, or would he like some as well?"
Increase Trask
 player, 8 posts
Mon 24 Aug 2015
at 08:59
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Feldwebel Laurin Knapp (msg # 628):

Trask reaches out a hand and accepts the munitions. "Why thank you Mamm you always know the way to my heart is through explosives." He puts them in his pockets of his BDU for the short term.
Vundra
 player, 195 posts
 Junker
Mon 24 Aug 2015
at 09:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra accept the offered grenades and put them where his other grenade were before they disintegrated.
Smoker Nix
 player, 757 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Mon 24 Aug 2015
at 10:23
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker looked a bit surprised at being handed a bunch of grenades, but dug out a bag to put them in.

"T.. thank you."

He did not sound (or look) very happy.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 392 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Mon 24 Aug 2015
at 12:48
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Feldwebel Laurin Knapp (msg # 628):

"Thank you. A couple of frags would be nice, Feldwebel." The Colonel put the frags into a grenadepouch on his armor. He then watched Laurin distribute her goodies. Though he hoped they wouldn't be needed (using grenades inside of structures was alwas risky), SChaeffer feared that it very well might cone down to grenades and in the worst case bayonets...even if no one carried those.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 642 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Mon 24 Aug 2015
at 17:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
OOC: Sigh. My previous post obviously doesn't happen until the new people actually come outside, or perhaps when I learn to read better.

Peter looks visibly surprised at being handed grenades. But he gingerly takes them and stows them carefully. "Thank you. I look forward to working with you." He glanced at Jane and nodded. He was ready to go.
The Marshall
 GM, 2145 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 24 Aug 2015
at 20:36
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 633):

Everyone was now outside by the vehicles, getting geared up.
Feldwebel Laurin Knapp
 NPC, 6 posts
 Fernspaeher
 German Ranger
Mon 24 Aug 2015
at 20:38
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 633):

Laurin smiled as she put on her battlesuit helmet.

"It is my pleasure, Peter. I had a feeling we might be going underground, and when the Colonel called I was correct. It is good to meet you all as well."
Jason Sinclair
 player, 262 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Tue 25 Aug 2015
at 03:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
 Jason takes the bundle and very quietly straps it on. All of his doubts seem to melt away and he stands just a little straighter and knows that his current mission can not fail. He mounts up behind the guide and holds on for dear life as she speeds off.


Jason meets Schaeffer's friend a little bit after the rest with the usual introductions. Only those who were with Jason in Boise notice anything odd, but considering he just got done talking to The Companion of Companions it really isn't to odd. He has a second sword strapped on. This one is a seamless match to Jason and seems to bolster his spirits and for now seems to have dispeled his dark mood. He is wearing his tabard openly and obviously in a sort of challenge to the forces of darkness that oppose our little group on this mission. His hand drifts from time to time to his given sword, Evanor. The new sword is placed to balance his weight and his hand stays carefully away from it and yet he seems as if he might just draw it to look at it. "Any friend of The Colonel is a friend of mine. Welcome. I hope that we will have time to get to know one another before this is over, but I shall say this no finer group of folks there are in the entire Waste. The Saints are with us folks and we shall bring Simon back. I have faith in this." aAny "goodies" given are gladly taken. Anything in excess shall be returned.
Feldwebel Laurin Knapp
 NPC, 7 posts
 Fernspaeher
 German Ranger
Tue 25 Aug 2015
at 08:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The Sergeant made sure everyone was "bombed up".

"All right? Let's board the vehicles and get going."
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 28 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Tue 25 Aug 2015
at 08:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Feldwebel Laurin Knapp (msg # 637):

Buck leaned out of the top of the open-topped SUV.

"Everyone, saddle up! Sun's going down, but that don't matter in the Down-Below.

"We got about a five minute ride to this old garage that still has an entrance to the underground highway that cut under Junkyard, part of the Interstate. From there, it's another thirty minutes of slow going. With any luck, we'll avoid contact with the Moorlocks. We have an "understanding", you might say. But if the trail goes into the Second Sublevel, all bets are off!"

He started loading a pump-action shotgun as he waited for everyone to get organised.
Macon
Tue 25 Aug 2015
at 08:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Increase Trask (msg # 629):

Scowling, the Sergeant waved Trask over.

"All right, cowboy! Get yo' ass over here, let's get you all suited up."

He then smiled. "Man, you're gonna be a sight to behold for them Moorlocks!"
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 393 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Tue 25 Aug 2015
at 09:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Buck Masterson (msg # 638):

"Allright. Everyone check your weapons, your ammo and your equipment. make sure you're ready." The Colonel did a check of his own weapons, ammo and equipment, jumped up and down a couple of times to make sure nothing rattled. Then he watched Trask getting ready.
Smoker Nix
 player, 758 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 25 Aug 2015
at 10:04
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker carried out his own checks, getting more and more nervous. Indeed, the meat hand was shaking a bit and his insides were churning...

... then he made a bolt for the nearest bathroom.
Increase Trask
 player, 9 posts
Tue 25 Aug 2015
at 10:15
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Macon (msg # 639):

”Well Macon I do believe you will miss me old friend, Is..is that a tear.” He holds up a couple of large batteries and then turns and walks over to the rear of the humvee and opens a long black pelican like case. It is hard to see what he is doing, but in a minute or so you see him climb onto the rear deck of the humvee and again he spends several minutes working with some thing before disappearing under the tarp. At this point Macon joins him and after a quick conversation they both disappear under the cover with Macon jumping down after a couple of minutes.

After another minute or so the whirl of an electric engine can be heard before the tarp begins to rise and a gigantic hand can be seen clutching the side of the humvee's rear cargo area. It is quickly followed by two equally large feet that swing off the rear of the humvee as a second hand removes the tarp from the top of the battle suit. The suspension of the humvee is at it's very limit and the wheels are up to the rims in the dirt as the suit pushes off the rear of the light truck and into a standing position.


The suit is mostly covered in a late war desert digicam camouflage scheme with a colourful unit painting on it's right shoulder. A karki camouflage net or what is left of it is draped over the suits shoulders and down the suits back.


It remains motionless for several more moments before turning and the left arm removes what looks like an autocannon of some kind from the pelican case. The suits right arm grasps hold of the forward grip as the rear trigger mechanism clicks into the arm just forward of the elbow joint.


A couple of swings left and right and a full traverse and things look like they meet with approval. Trasks voice comes over a load speaker of some kind as he asks; ”Stand still for a minute as I dial you into the radar...yea...o.k. Were good.” As Trask made the subtle movements with his eyes the white circles changed to green squares, he then set the HUD to show all other contacts as red triangles or threats.


He takes a few steps and then stops and seems to be waiting or perhaps some other pre-diagnostic is running before you enter the tunnels.

-

This message was last edited by the player at 22:08, Tue 25 Aug 2015.

Smoker Nix
 player, 759 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 25 Aug 2015
at 10:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker emerges from the bathroom looking rather white and shaky. The monster battlesuit is quite a surprise!

"Wow! That's quite something."
Vundra
 player, 196 posts
 Junker
Tue 25 Aug 2015
at 16:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra snaps out of his daze as the large suit step out of the car. He looks at it in awe and admire the work that create such a marvelous piece of technological equipment. He opens his mouth to say something but nothing come out.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 643 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 26 Aug 2015
at 15:43
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter stopped moving and slowly turned to watch the new person, Trask. His eyebrows rose up as he looked over the gear the other man was bringing to the fight. Very interesting. He hadn't seen one of those in quite a while, and it appeared to be in fairly good shape all things considered. Subtlety wasn't going to be their goal apparently.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1181 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Wed 26 Aug 2015
at 18:07
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 645):

Rowan looks the armoured figure up and down and shakes her head "what in all of Arda is that"? she asks with a catch in her voice.
Very glad she got Trickster out of town before meeting her loves old friends.
"Guess it is time to move, Jane you borrowing my MG again friend" she asks
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 29 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Wed 26 Aug 2015
at 21:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Increase Trask (msg # 642):

Finished loading the shotgun, Buck pumped the foregrip to chamber a round.

"Let's get on the vehicles.

"That's a nice battlesuit! Impressive. You gonna get back on the Humvee or can you run alongside us while we drive down into the Down-Below?"

Increase Trask
 player, 10 posts
Wed 26 Aug 2015
at 22:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Buck Masterson (msg # 647):

The head of the battle suit turned slightly; "I am all set so I'll get back on the humvee." Trask turns and remounts the army truck before taking a seat with his feet hanging over the side.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:09, Wed 26 Aug 2015.

Vundra
 player, 197 posts
 Junker
Thu 27 Aug 2015
at 06:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra follows the giant battle suit into the back of the truck with his cannon. He moves closer to inspect the craftsmanship of the armor.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 394 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Thu 27 Aug 2015
at 10:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Rowan Dawson:
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 645):

Rowan looks the armoured figure up and down and shakes her head "what in all of Arda is that"? she asks with a catch in her voice.
Very glad she got Trickster out of town before meeting her loves old friends.
"Guess it is time to move, Jane you borrowing my MG again friend" she asks


"That my love is a CSA Wolverine power armor. Armed with a Ripper, if I'm not mistaken. It's been a long time since I saw one of those." The Colonel smiled grimly at a distant memory. "The armored cavalry saved my bacon? Is that the right word? Anyway, they saved me more than once. It will be of much use against Cyborgs or automatons. At least as long as its power lasts."
As everyone seemed ready, he continued:Aufsitzen! Ah, saddle up, ya? Following his own order, Kurt got on the same vehicle as Rowan.
Jane Guin
 player, 629 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Thu 27 Aug 2015
at 12:45
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 650):

Jane tore her eyes away from the  Wolverine and nodded at Rowan.  "Being quiet doesn't seem to matter on this one and the more firepower the better.  If you don't mind I'll borrow it again.  Didn't break it last time anyway so we'll hope that streak of luck continues."  As she waited to take the weapon from Rowan, Jane double checked her other supplies.  One never did go into a battle with only one weapon.  That was close to a suicide run.  This was going to get bloody and she looked over at her friends.  Hopefully she would see them all at the end of the run.
Smoker Nix
 player, 760 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 27 Aug 2015
at 13:01
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker, still looking a bit green and shaky, took his place on one of the vehicles and sat huddled up.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 645 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 27 Aug 2015
at 15:15
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter glanced first at Schaeffer as he spoke up and explained to Rowan, and he nodded along with the man's explanation. That sounded about right. He then looked at Jane when she spoke. "Not being quiet...that is your preference and specialty, isn't it?" He gave her a much-too-innocent look as he climbed in to the vehicle for departure.
Jane Guin
 player, 630 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Thu 27 Aug 2015
at 18:38
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 653):

Jane grinned at Peter.  No use denying something that everybody knew to be true.  "It saves time.  Besides you guys like to shoot at things too so I'm just saving you time and let them come to you."
Jane Guin
 player, 632 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Fri 28 Aug 2015
at 11:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane looked over at Rowan and smiled.  "As  Peter says not being quiet is kind of easy for me.  I like your SAW but think in this case I'll use mine instead.  We might need that better penetration power it has.  Don't go too far without yours though.  I have a feeling we might need all the firepower we can get this time."  Jane stopped and got a funny look on her face as she realized what she had said.  "This time?  Hell, when don't haven't we needed all the firepower we could get.  Seriously though I thank you for your offer of the loan Rowan but I'll use the Hellfire this time."
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1183 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Fri 28 Aug 2015
at 12:23
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane Guin:
Jane looked over at Rowan and smiled.  "As  Peter says not being quiet is kind of easy for me.  I like your SAW but think in this case I'll use mine instead.  We might need that better penetration power it has.  Don't go too far without yours though.  I have a feeling we might need all the firepower we can get this time."  Jane stopped and got a funny look on her face as she realized what she had said.  "This time?  Hell, when don't haven't we needed all the firepower we could get.  Seriously though I thank you for your offer of the loan Rowan but I'll use the Hellfire this time."

Rowan smiles at her friend, "Goddess knows what I am doing mixed up with you lot."
"I wander though this time armed to the teeth, with weapons I have picked up."
"And really while I can use the AK the rest are window dressing".
 She sighs and sits Next to Shaefer placing the MG behind her. "I am tiered lover, only my oath binds me to this path"
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 396 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Fri 28 Aug 2015
at 15:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Well, being quiet is actually a specialty of mine. Much easier to take out the opposition if they don't know you're around, ya?" The Colonel lifted his M$ to show the mounted suppressor. Then he put his arm around Rowan and pulled her in close, or at least as close as the implements of death attached to his armour allowed. "I know my love. Einerseits, I am tired as well. Andererseits, it's what I've been doing most of my life. It's what I'm good at. Others know how to heal, how to build...I know how to fight. It's who I am I am not ashamed of that. Actually, I'm more ashamed of the one time I didn't pull the trigger. Maybe all of this," Schaeffer waved his free arm around to encompass the whole of the Wasted West," maybe I could have prevented that. Or at least some of it. Instead I hesitated to put a couple of Gramm of pressure on the trigger. Wanted to make sure of the kill. And received new ordes just in the knick of time. He shrugged and leaned back in his seat. "Anyway, that's a long time ago. These days, it's about helping other people making the world a better place. One bullet at a time." Kurt grinned to show that he was half joking.
The Marshall
 GM, 2157 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 6 Sep 2015
at 06:31
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 657):

The small convoy formed up as the sun set over the western mountains. The tattered latticework of the remaining panels and support struts were outlined in silhouette. Street lights came on, a reminder of when things were different.

They pulled up at an old parking garage on the outskirts of the downtown, by the remains of the outer wall. A guide dismounted from the front open-topped SUV, unlocked a steel rollup gate and got it up and out of the way. The 2 open-topped SUVs and Humvee rolled inside. Engines throbbed in the dark parking garage. There was a ramp to the upper levels and roof, but they took a different ramp that led into pitch darkness.

At this point, the guide vehicles turned on their many mounted lights.

When they reached bottom, they found it was packed with abandoned vehicles. Cars, vans, trucks, SUVs. All electric, batteries long-dead and stripped down to the frames. Weaving through the lanes of junked vehicles they came to another steel rollup door. There were sawhorses with warning signs, and other signs were posted saying that entering the Underground without authorisation was punishable under Junkyard law. The same guide unlocked the door and rolled it up.
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 30 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Sun 6 Sep 2015
at 06:34
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 658):

"Here we go, into the depths of Hades. Sorry, it's the tour guide in me. The drama sells!

"Don't worry, we usually don't have much trouble this close to the entry. 'Course, if they were riled up and all, we could see pissed-off Moorlocks pretty soon. Or rather, they'll see us."


He kept his shotgun handy, peering into the darkness with experienced eyes.
Increase Trask
 player, 16 posts
 Robo Hunter
Sun 6 Sep 2015
at 08:09
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...

With a pretty substantial scraping noise the battle armour regained it's feet once the humvee had stopped. It remained motionless while Trask finished up the last of the diagnostic protocols and switched to an offensive model. The HUD before his face changed and a series of green squares began to move across the screen as with a flick of his eye the intense search lights were turned on. The lights revolved round on their mounts on both shoulders of the suit to face upwards and Trask defused the light somewhat.

"I am good to go. You want to give us a run down of these morlocks you mentioned, how they fight and what they are armed with ?"

Trask waits for the others to form up and then follows their guide into the depths.

-

This message was last edited by the player at 19:58, Sun 06 Sept 2015.

Rowan Dawson
 player, 1188 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sun 6 Sep 2015
at 09:32
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Increase Trask:
With a pretty substantial scraping noise the battle armour regained it's feet once the humvee had stopped. It remained motionless while Trask finished up the last of the diagnostic protocols and switched to an offensive model. The HUD before his face changed and a series of green squares began to move across the screen as with a flick of his eye the intense search lights were turned on. The lights revolved round on their mounts on both shoulder of the suit to face upwards and Trask defused the light somewhat.

"I am good to go."

Trask waits for the others to form up and then follows their guide into the depths.

Maura places both the new rifle and the Machine gun in the vehicle carrying her trusted old AK. And steps beside her love.
Ready to go into the darkness
Smoker Nix
 player, 762 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sun 6 Sep 2015
at 13:04
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker huddled in a corner, shivering.
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 31 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Mon 7 Sep 2015
at 08:49
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Increase Trask (msg # 660):

Buck looked over at the metal and ceramic-polymer behemoth. "We're gonna drive it until we get deeper in. But if you wanna walk it, chief, we're not gonna be goin' that fast."
Increase Trask
 player, 20 posts
 Robo Hunter
Mon 7 Sep 2015
at 09:21
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Buck Masterson (msg # 663):

"Yea, I need to walk it in. Got some kinks to work out." Trask follows the vehicles as they make their way into the complex. He lets the radar do it's thing as the battle armour lumbers along, it seemed to behaving itself and he hoped it stayed that way.
Jason Sinclair
 player, 266 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Mon 7 Sep 2015
at 16:10
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jason shows up a little late to the group, but in plenty of time to see the door roll up. When Trask stands in the powered armor Jason merely looks over and says "Shit all we need now is a tin can and we got us an old fashioned bug hunt."
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 403 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Mon 7 Sep 2015
at 17:18
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 661):

The Colonel took Rowan's hand, as much for her benefit as for his own. Usually he had no problems with enclosed spaces, or underground ones, but the empty, rusting cars eminded him of the mall...
Don't think of the mall. Don't go there.
Darkness, lit only by flashlights, slow and careful movement, not knowing if or when there'd be contact...Schaeffer began to sweat under his battlesuit as he could feel the flashback coming up. He gripped Rowan's hand harder, trying to keep the memories away. As he felt himself starting to slighty tremble, he realized that there was no way
They'd been moving through the abandoned mall for nearly an hour now. Nothing apart from old battle damage and the remains of a hastily installed and then abandoned field hospital or triage center. Where had all the people disappeared to? Lt. Kurt Schaeffer, CO of Fernspäh Kompanie 200 pondered the question while he simultaniously kept his position, watched the scout moving ten meters in front of him, his own sector and the rest of the platoon. Though it was a platoon only in numbers. There were three survivors fom his company, a fireteam of Fallschirmjäger,a couple of headquaters pukes including his father and some odds and ends like the scout. Kurt was slightly distracted by Laurin's shapely behind moving in front of him. Maybe it had not been the best idea to assign a Pionier to scout duties, but they were all tired and stretched tn as it was. Laurin stopped at a corner and signaled to halt, then her hand with the palm down moved slowly up and down. Obediently Shaeffer sank down on one knee an tried to ignore the short sharp pain from his knees. Laurin dropped down on her belly and carefully looked around the corner. Unexpectedly her hand came up again, fingers raised an rotated from side to side to signal "Officer up". Cursing under his breath, Kurt came back up to his feet and slowly moved towards Laurin and the corner. As he arrived, a quick excange of hnd signals ensued. "What have you got?" "People. Many people." "Friendlies or enemies?" "Don't know." The LT. considered that for a moment, then took a look around the corner himself. In the greenish view through his NVGs the main corridor of the mall looked eerie, especially as it was filled from side to side with people...standing and gently weaving from side to side. Pulling back, he tried to decide what to mak of this, when his radio squelched thrice and twice for contact aft. He looked around the corner again and suddenly the mass of people began to move in the direction of the platoon. An empty eyed, slack jawed mass of people. Dead people. Shaking himself from shock, he broke com silence to give the order to open fire on recognized targets, to find a way out or at least a place to defend. There were so many of them. So many...
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1189 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Mon 7 Sep 2015
at 18:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 666):

rowan sits quietly watching, getting used to the idea of being underground. Muttering to herself she can heard referring to her self as silly and get a hold of it women.
She looks at her love, and wonders did he know he was her first.
Men were odd like that she knew, but it was still nice having him beside her
Kurt she says softly, " how good is that combat suit I have never seen one before or in action"
Smoker Nix
 player, 765 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 8 Sep 2015
at 07:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker gulps hard, still shivering and huddled in his corner.

TRY... NOT... TO... THROW... UP he thought, but the thinking only made the urge to vomit worse. He had a distinctly greenish tinge.
Jane Guin
 player, 634 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 8 Sep 2015
at 12:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 668):

Jane gets up and walks over to Smoker and then sits down but not right next to him. "Anything I can do to help?  Want me to get Rowan or is it something else."
Smoker Nix
 player, 767 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 8 Sep 2015
at 15:52
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker clenched his fists.

"I... I... have to go... b..b..but I'm terrified," he gulped. Then swallowed, hard. A tear trickled down one cheek, unnoticed.
Jane Guin
 player, 635 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 8 Sep 2015
at 16:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 670):

"That's a smart reaction.  Sometimes we have to face our fears.  Like when I left.  I wasn't sure if my head would explode or not.  Talk about fear.  We see things that would make anybody afraid.  If they don't admit it then they are just lying to themselves.  I'm afraid too.  We gotta do what we gotta do.  Sorry, I'm not very good at pep talks am I.  Just remember that we're a team and I'm not in the habit of leaving teammates behind."

Jane was silent. Saying she wasn't good at pep talks might be an understatement or perhaps just above her pay grade.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 646 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 8 Sep 2015
at 17:56
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter stayed silent, which wasn't that unusual for him really. Once they got deeper inside, he got his goggles set over his eyes and made sure the helmet was still how it should be. For the moment, he had the Tokarev in hand. He was saving his new 'bigger' gun for when they ran in to the combine. And it was slung over this shoulder for the moment. He was trying hard not to listen to Smoker and Jane talk for two reasons: it would distract him, and he didn't want to start thinking about how afraid he was himself.
Smoker Nix
 player, 768 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 09:48
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Ulp. I... I get scared quite often, that's to... to be expected. But right now I am terrified. I want to throw up, to run off into a corner. You know, with my tail between my legs like Trickster does when something spooks him."

Smoker buried his head in his arms. He hated feeling like this, unable to cope.
The Marshall
 GM, 2160 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 10:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The passage from the parking garage turned into a 2-lane ramp that sloped downwards. It ran straight for around a hundred yards. The vehicle lights illuminated the graffiti-scrawled concrete walls as they passed. The ceiling was a maze of piping, conduits, dead florescent lighting, most tubes smashed. Tires crunched over broken glass and a thick layer of trash on the ground.

When they got to the bottom of the ramp a sign painted on the wall said "I-15/Hwy 89 Under-Bypass Keep Right". The tunnel continued going straight but there was a section that led off to the right. The vehicles stopped. A female guide dismounted, switched on night-vision goggles and went forward out of sight down the passage that branched off towards the Interstate. The other guides kept a watchful eye on both directions of the main tunnel.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 404 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 10:23
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 667):

The Colonel shook himself out of the flashback with difficulty. "Rowan, the suit is just a tool. It all depends on the user. But yes, it's good. Not the best on the pre-war market, but it's what we have now and it will be very useful."
Jane Guin
 player, 636 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 12:22
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 673):

Jane nodded at Smoker.  "But you're not running are you.  There is more to you than meets the eye.  You are much stronger than you think you are.  Go ahead and throw up if you want, I won't mind.  I've puked my guts out after a fight and stuff before.  The main thing is that you're not alone and that you're still going down there with us.  That's strength man.  Don't let anybody tell you different."
Smoker Nix
 player, 769 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 12:32
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker raised his head and managed a wan smile.

"It's kind of you to say that, Jane."
Jane Guin
 player, 637 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 12:44
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 677):

"Sure sure.  You're strange you know that Smoker?  Anybody who says it is kind to admit that they've puked their guts out is strange.  Still, you kinda grow on a person so stick around.  You'll do fine."

Jane tried to appear non nonchalant about his words but she blushed and looked around.  She did give him a wink though before she did.  She hadn't lied to him.  This was scary stuff and if she thought too much on it she'd be tempted to run also.
Jason Sinclair
 player, 267 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 16:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
 As the posse rolls to a stop Jason takes a good look around keeping his eyes out for trouble.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1190 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Wed 9 Sep 2015
at 18:15
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer:
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 667):

The Colonel shook himself out of the flashback with difficulty. "Rowan, the suit is just a tool. It all depends on the user. But yes, it's good. Not the best on the pre-war market, but it's what we have now and it will be very useful."

"Hmm like many things". Rowan offers in reply.
"Better make sure you can use that new rifle love, I got it for both of us".
"And you will have far more chance of using it successfully than I will"

COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 405 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Thu 10 Sep 2015
at 16:13
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Kurts's grin was a bit strained. Don't worry mein Schatz. I ccan use any rifle. It's one of few things I'm good at. Also you're not a bad shot yourself. Just be careful. Fighting underground is...different.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 647 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 10 Sep 2015
at 16:22
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
OOC: could have sworn I posted..."

Peter slowly scanned the area with his nightvision goggles once they stopped. The underground, so far, was interesting to say the least. He was a bit worried about the possibility of very intense combat within enclosed spaces but it wasn't like he had much choice unless he didn't go on with the others.

He did glance over at Jane and Smoker. He noted the exchange but didn't say anything. He wasn't worried. Smoker would do fine, and Jane was rock-solid usually. And Peter wasn't the jealous type.

To their guides he opened his mouth to ask a question and then thought better of it and closed his mouth again, resigned to wait quietly and keep his eyes and ears open.
Increase Trask
 player, 21 posts
 Robo Hunter
Sat 12 Sep 2015
at 08:10
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...

Trask catches up to the vehicles once they have stopped. He remains motionless while the guide disappears down the tunnel and the others prepare to move further under ground this time on foot. Watching the various sensors of the suit report on the edges of the HUD Trask moves the head of the suit from side to side scanning as he does. The head movement does not add to the coverage of the sensors, but Trask cannot help adding human reactions and movements to his operation of the suit.

It was something he was always marked down for during training by his instructors "Let the suit do it's thing and stick to the doctrine of operation." It could have been his catch phase for the practical deployment phase of his training.
The Marshall
 GM, 2161 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 09:00
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Increase Trask (msg # 683):

The guides continued to watch up and down the passage, as well as the pipe and ductwork that covered the ceiling and the hatches and manholes on the road surface.

After a few minutes the guide came back and talked to Buck.
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 32 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 09:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 684):

He turned to the Posse.

"My scout says that something's wrong up ahead. There's normally a Moorlock sentry we meet to let them know we're passing through their territory, we don't want trouble. That post is empty. Damn sight unusual. Well, there's no ambush so I figure we'll continue on."

Buck tapped the driver of the topless SUV on the shoulder. "Get rollin', keep it slow."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 648 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 17:25
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter made a small noise and then let out a sigh. "I would guess either the Combine rolled through. But I have no evidence of that, just a feeling." He glanced at Jane and Smoker, and then went back to being watchful.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 406 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 19:25
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Better make sure you're ready."The Colonel did his best to shake off the quite annoying flashback. He checked his weapons, something that always calmed him and put his M4 up so he'd be ready to react to whatever might happen. He also took the time to smile reasuringly at Rowan.
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 NPC, 94 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff wieldin Techno-Mage
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 19:52
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jason makes sure that his swords will clear their scabbards and that his pistol is loaded and his spare mags are handy. With that he holds his P-90c and is ready.
Increase Trask
 player, 22 posts
 Robo Hunter
Mon 14 Sep 2015
at 21:15
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...

Trask moves off with everyone else. He has finished his checks and now just watched the radar for anything unusual as they made there way through the maze.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1191 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Tue 15 Sep 2015
at 18:34
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer:
"Better make sure you're ready."The Colonel did his best to shake off the quite annoying flashback. He checked his weapons, something that always calmed him and put his M4 up so he'd be ready to react to whatever might happen. He also took the time to smile reasuringly at Rowan.


Rowan unslings her AK and chambers a round then uses her new NVG's to have a good look around
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 33 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Tue 15 Sep 2015
at 21:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 686):

"If it was Combine, they would shoot the hell outta everything. But there's just nothing. Maybe we'll see more as we get further in."

The idling vehicles were put into gear and moved off.
The Marshall
 GM, 2162 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 15 Sep 2015
at 21:34
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The radar signal from the Wolverin's sensors was reflected from all the metal surfaces. It wasn't designed to operate underground and was almost useless. Detail was lost in all the false positive signals.

Soon, they moved down the connecting onramp tunnel almost to the Interstate. The massive tunnel up ahead had been bored to drive the freeway under the congested downtown of Junkyard. Night vision was a little better, showing the tunnels in a green-lit wash. They moved up to what appeared to be an improvised roadblock of some kind. Vehicles and debris had been dragged to seal off the roadway with a wall of tangled wreckage, leaving a free lane blocked by a car that still had wheels and could be pushed aside to allow entry. The car had been pushed aside, leaving a dark gap that the open-topped SUVs could just fit through.
Macon
Tue 15 Sep 2015
at 21:36
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 692):

Macon leaned out of the Humvee and spoke to Trask.

"Hey, man. That don't look too safe. You obviously don't need me for transport. I'm gonna di di mao back to the surface. If you need a pickup I'll be there."

At his signal, the Humvee began a clumsy 3-point U-turn, intending to head back up the tunnel to the surface.
Increase Trask
 player, 23 posts
 Robo Hunter
Tue 15 Sep 2015
at 23:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Macon (msg # 693):

Trask stopped opposite the Humvee drivers side door. "Understood my friend Macon. If you want to save some face and I survive this little foray into the dark we can catch up for another game of cards ? Keep your ride in one piece perhaps we can chance a hand against it..."

Macon could not see the smile across Trask's face as he moved forward and prepared to move out. He switched on the heartbeat sensor and narrowed the beam of the radar as he waited.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 649 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 16 Sep 2015
at 02:34
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter glanced at the driver who wanted to leave, and then proceeded to do so. Peter couldn't blame the guy really. He didn't want to be down in cannibal-infested underground levels chasing after paramilitary units with hard-to-destroy robots either.

He turned his attention back to the tunnel ahead and looked over the roadblock ahead. "Well this sure will not be an ambush."

He looked at Buck. "In we go, yes?"
The Marshall
 GM, 2163 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 17 Sep 2015
at 09:27
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Increase Trask (msg # 694):

Inside the suit, Trask's HUD did not show the heartbeat sensor was picking anything up in the neighborhood of the barricade. Thermal was coming up negative as well.
Increase Trask
 player, 24 posts
 Robo Hunter
Thu 17 Sep 2015
at 20:18
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 696):

"All clear, I am not getting anything." He waits to move forward when their guide gives the all clear.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1192 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Thu 17 Sep 2015
at 20:36
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Increase Trask:
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 696):

"All clear, I am not getting anything." He waits to move forward when their guide gives the all clear.

Rowan lets her senses feel the area standing quietly while the rest prepare.
she wishes trickster had been willing to come with her.
her new rifle is slung over her back, her AK ready for use
Smoker Nix
 player, 770 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Fri 18 Sep 2015
at 08:14
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker reluctantly gathered himself up, clutching his FN and still looking unhappy.
The Marshall
 GM, 2164 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Fri 18 Sep 2015
at 08:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Rowan Dawson (msg # 698):

Using the on-ramp tunnel they passed through the roadblock and onto the Interstate without incident. There was no sign of damage or bloodshed. The expected Moorlock watcher was simply gone.

The massive tunnel was a divided freeway, 8 lanes wide. They were in the Southbound lanes (I-15S), roadsigns announced that Salt Lake City was 11 miles south and Farmington was 7 miles north. The side walls and middle dividing wall were all covered with graffiti. There was trash strewn across all lanes. Strangely, there were not many abandoned vehicles and those that remained were pushed to the sides and stripped down to hulks. This left 2 lanes down the middle that were free of debris and abandoned hulks.

"EMPs were blocked by the Steel Sky dome and the tunnel. So on Judgement Day most drivers left. Some stayed, of course. The Moorlocks have boosted whatever's still running and stripped what's left." explained Buck.

Searchlights from the SUVs stabbed into the darkness around them. Shadows danced but aside from trash stirred up from their passage nothing moved. Trask's suit FLIR sensors didn't pick up any heat signatures, no

Not long after, they reached an offramp tunnel. Barely legible signs covered with scrawled graffiti announced that down there lay Hellestromme Corporate HQ (now City Hall) and the Civic Center.
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 34 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Fri 18 Sep 2015
at 08:39
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 700):

Buck pointed down towards the offramp. "There, we can get to where City Hall is now. It's all been blocked off from the surface but that's where we'll pick up their trail."

He directed the SUVs to turn off and follow the offramp.
Increase Trask
 player, 25 posts
 Robo Hunter
Mon 21 Sep 2015
at 05:19
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...

Trask listened to Buck make his assessment of what had happened. He had been at a local saloon when it all kicked off and didn't cotton on to what was happening until his poker buddies all seemed to disappear out the door. Trasks luck seemed to be on the mend just before the shit hit the fan so he was none to happy.

When the trucks started off Trask followed again keeping pretty close as they made their way further in.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 650 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Mon 21 Sep 2015
at 22:08
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter heard what was said and it filtered in to his brain...but that didn't his eyes from looking over the stripped-down cars as if just to make sure that there was nothing left. But the comment about City Hall snapped his attention back to focus and he gave a nod as he began to stay alert once more.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 407 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Fri 25 Sep 2015
at 21:28
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
"Wouldn't it be better to scout on foot first?" The Colonel had gotten his bearings back and was getting used to the terrain. He was not confortable riding in unarmored vehicles into combat in a close environment.
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 35 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Sat 26 Sep 2015
at 02:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 704):

Buck looked up ahead, then back at the underground throughfare.

"Normally I wouldn't. It's illegal to have dealings with the Moorlocks, but I can let you in on that we do have an arrangement with them. Part of that is we don't get off the trucks. But now we have missed our contact with the Moorlocks either they are gone or have decided to break our deal.

"Ah... sure, why not? You volunteering there, Colonel?"

Jason Sinclair
 player, 268 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Sat 26 Sep 2015
at 06:28
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
  "Colonel if you need someone to 'run rabbit' I'm game." Jason offers if Schaeffer balks at running point alone on this one.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 651 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Sat 26 Sep 2015
at 21:46
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter raised his eyebrows inside his helmet. He wasn't very keen on getting off the trucks and going looking. That sounded like an extraordinarily bad idea. "Would it not be better to just keep moving and get through the territory? We have pressing matters and I would rather not anger remaining Moorlocks into action by dismounting if we are not supposed to."
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 36 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Tue 29 Sep 2015
at 03:36
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 707):

Buck sighed and lit a cigar. "Way-ell, someone ought to make a call here. My thinkin' is all bets are off with the Moorlocks. Either they changed the rules, or else they's in no condition to make an objection. But it will slow us down a piece."
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 408 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Tue 29 Sep 2015
at 04:35
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The Colonel nodded. "Allright, stop the vehicles here. Jason, you take the right, I'll take left. We need to do this smooth and silent." Schaeffer did another brass check on his silenced M4, quickly put on his ghillie suit and kissed Rowan twice. One for luck, mein Schatz . And the other to remember what I'm coming back for." Then he signalled to Jason to move out.
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 37 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Tue 29 Sep 2015
at 09:10
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 709):

Buck turned to Peter. "Sorry I didn't take your advice, chief. Like I said, I don't think what the Moorlocks want is a factor right now. And I was in the Army. What the Colonel says makes a lot of sense, when in doubt do some recon. It's nothing personal."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 653 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 29 Sep 2015
at 14:14
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter bristled at being called 'chief' but decided to let it slide for the moment and not make an issue out of it. "No need to patronize me, Masterson. I am clearly not the leader here despite having been the lone voice driving the group on several times. We are on a tight schedule to catch up to people retreating with a hostage, and stopping to scout ahead is foolish right up until it prevents a disastrous ambush and then it was good thinking." He gave an angry shrug. "Less talking and more alert watching would be my advice."
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 38 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Tue 29 Sep 2015
at 19:38
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 711):

Taking a drag of Buck laughed.

"Ha ha! Don't let your nose get out of joint, Geronimo. I'm sure you get to call the shots most of the time, and if we could we'd sit down and take a dang vote. But down here it can't always be a democracy and I just plumb like the Colonel's idea better on account of I was a soldier and all. We got to go quickly, sure, but it's not just your ass on the line but mine and my people's. Safety first."
Increase Trask
 player, 26 posts
 Robo Hunter
Tue 29 Sep 2015
at 19:41
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Buck Masterson (msg # 712):

"I can give a pretty accurate idea of who's about with my sensors, but you probably want to get eyes on what is about." Trask waited for a decesion to be made so they could get moving.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 654 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 29 Sep 2015
at 19:55
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter slowly turned to look at Buck with an cold stare. "One: Stop with the racist names." Small pause. "Please. See? I was even polite about it. You don't see me calling you Paleface or White Man or any of that shit."

His let out a sigh, letting the anger flow out as well, and shook his head. "Two: I neither need nor want to be the leader of a group. I don't have that kind of drive or ego. So long as I have a vote in direction, that's fine with me. If I don't like the direction I can always leave the group. That hasn't happened yet. Sometimes this group has trouble moving, so I have pushed, but that's all."
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 39 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Tue 29 Sep 2015
at 20:11
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 714):

Buck looked taken aback. "Racist? Who said anything racist? President Geronimo was a great man and a respected statesman! I meant that as a compliment, or at least not an insult.

"Sure, we're all down here together. If you got an idea, I'll listen to it as long as you're in my vehicles. Once you're as far as I go it's your show."

Jason Sinclair
 player, 268 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Wed 30 Sep 2015
at 18:56
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jason isn't exactly trying to be stealthy, but he isn't exactly trying to be loud either. He is being obvious and drawing attention to himself in a bid to make the Colonel's attempts easier. It's an old tactic, but an effective one. He is trusting the team to do what is needed to either get him out or put him out of misery.

This message was last updated by the GM at 18:56, Wed 30 Sept 2015.

The Marshall
 GM, 2166 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 30 Sep 2015
at 21:16
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Not really sure what to make of Peter's outbreak, Buck shook his head a little and then moved off to make sure everyone was ready to move. Jason and the Colonel moved out. At this time, the feeling was that Trask was to stay with the idling vehicles. This was good, as his jury-rigged radar set seemed to be acting up. The thermal and low-light was functioning well, fortunately.

The tunnel/offramp leading towards the new City Hall was a narrow 2-lane passage with sidewalks on either side. After about a block it widened into a parking area chamber dotted with support beams and planters holding dead shrubbery. There were no vehicles parked here and the space was open and trash-strewn. Every surface and even parts of the ceiling was covered with graffiti. A few smashed-in doors to the right led into what was probably the old Civic Center. On the left was the entrance to a shopping mall, also long-broken-in. Ahead were the sealed blast doors to Hellstromme Industries HQ's sublevels. It looked like those reinforced metal portals had been blown out from inside, likely by the exfiltrating Combine infiltrators.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 656 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Sat 3 Oct 2015
at 20:48
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter let out a long breath. He opened his mouth to say something but then thought better of it. The names may not have been intended as racists, but Peter had taken them that way. And even if they weren't, he didn't want to be compared to President Geronimo! Peter knew his limits, and he was no great leader.

He shook his head and tried to banish the thoughts as he waited with reluctant patience for the return of the scouts or screams and gunfire as the per-arranged signals that there was trouble.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1193 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sat 3 Oct 2015
at 21:30
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter Firecrow:
Peter let out a long breath. He opened his mouth to say something but then thought better of it. The names may not have been intended as racists, but Peter had taken them that way. And even if they weren't, he didn't want to be compared to President Geronimo! Peter knew his limits, and he was no great leader.

He shook his head and tried to banish the thoughts as he waited with reluctant patience for the return of the scouts or screams and gunfire as the per-arranged signals that there was trouble.

Rowan stands their quietly listening to the sounds around her. her mind runs over the events that have led her her the feel of her mans kiss and his body, bring a ghost smile to her face.
Why does he seem like two people some times, she sighs, time would answer or not as it saw fit.
mean time Oaths she had taken now she must forefill them or die trying
Jane Guin
 player, 639 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Sun 4 Oct 2015
at 03:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jane walked over to be by Peter and gave him a quick smile and hip bump.  It was a little gesture but she knew that he'd appreciate it. It was something she did to show her support for him without being overly demonstrative in public.
Increase Trask
 player, 28 posts
 Robo Hunter
Sun 4 Oct 2015
at 05:52
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...

With the radar playing up Trask just turned it off with a flick of his eye. He should be alright with the heart beat sensor at this point and there was no way to fix the radar down in the dark. he began to hum to himself as he waited for the all clear to move or the bloodletting to begin.

Seemed to him these morlocks had just buggered off when a superior force rode through and haven't reappeared yet. With no bodies or shell casings he thought it safe to assume no fighting had taken place.
Jason Sinclair
 player, 270 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Sun 4 Oct 2015
at 07:12
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
 Jason looks around after seeing the blast doors ripped open and says "Well I guess this the way they went. Which has me a little worried. Junkyard's very own HI compound. Could be worse I guess. Buck if I'm wrong please let me know."
The Marshall
 GM, 2168 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 4 Oct 2015
at 19:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jason Sinclair (msg # 722):

As the old HI Headquarters was the new City Hall, it seemed clear that the Combine had exited out through this formerly sealed portal to the Down Under.

From his position on overwatch, Schaeffer could tell there was no one waiting in ambush, but it looked from this angle that someone had set up a Claymore mine on a tripwire in the parking lot to blow up in the face of anyone coming in pursuit from the direction of the new City Hall/old HI HQ.

As Trask took the radar offline, it shorted out completely. Fixing it would take serious downtime, if it was repairable at all.

OOC: You can make Tracking rolls to determine where the Combine went. TN5, it's not very difficult.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 413 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Sun 4 Oct 2015
at 22:39
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The Colonel signalled to Jason to stay in place, the he very, very carefully marked th tripwire. He would have prefered to either disarm the mine or to blow it in place. Alas, he didn't kow squat about demolitions and he did not want to alert the Combine that they were being pursued.
Done with the Claymore, Schaeffer looked for tracks, to see where the Black Hats had moved to. Of course he took the time to radio to the others to come and to be very careful with the mine.
The Marshall
 GM, 2172 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 7 Oct 2015
at 02:44
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to COL Kurt L. Schaeffer (msg # 724):

After marking the Claymore's tripwire, Schaeffer examined the area, looking for where the Combine must have gone.

It seemed the entire group had gone into the shopping mall entrance. Dust and debris was obviously disturbed, there were both boot prints and markings from the surviving Automaton and Combat Drone. There were also a couple blood trails along with the footprints.
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 40 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 08:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 725):

Using a radio on the posse's team channel, Buck asked for a SITREP. "What damn hell ya'all seein' up there? Over."
Jason Sinclair
 player, 270 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Fri 9 Oct 2015
at 18:50
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Buck Masterson (msg # 726):

Blasted bomb doors, blood, bootprints, and claymores. Come on forward. Watch the trip for the claymore. It's marked." realizing he was rather terse and left off the most important part "Other than the claymore it's all clear."

This message was last updated by the GM at 18:50, Fri 09 Oct 2015.

Increase Trask
 player, 29 posts
 Robo Hunter
Sun 11 Oct 2015
at 05:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jason Sinclair (msg # 727):

With the call it was all clear Trask moves forward. He spots the trap and makes his way over it as he approaches the blast doors. here he stops for a couple of seconds to inspect the damage before continuing forward. He was unsure as to what the stranded operating procedures were for this group and if they were going to scout forward as the rest followed behind or if they just move as a group. Either way he let them make the call and just followed the others.
Vundra
 player, 200 posts
 Junker
Sun 11 Oct 2015
at 16:23
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
As the other start moving forward, Vundra stays back near the truck, not si certain with his ability to walk pass a mine field. He starts looking around for .... something.
Rowan Dawson
 player, 1194 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Sun 11 Oct 2015
at 16:39
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Vundra:
As the other start moving forward, Vundra stays back near the truck, not si certain with his ability to walk pass a mine field. He starts looking around for .... something.

Rowan stays with him close to the truck and ready to hop back on board to carry on
Peter Firecrow
 player, 658 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Mon 12 Oct 2015
at 20:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter glanced at Jane when she walked his way. He gave her a quick, small smile at the hip bump. And then it was gone and his face was stone serious once more. He listened to the report that was given once Buck asked for it. He gave a nod. That seemed to line up with what little they knew so far, and the claymore made him glad they didn't try to directly follow the Combine force. He gave a nod to Buck at the mention of moving forward.
Jane Guin
 player, 641 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 00:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 731):

Jane didn't say her thoughts out loud because most of the people wouldn't understand.  She didn't like who they had to hunt but sometimes she had to admit they were effective.  She tried to learn from each encounter with them.
Feldwebel Laurin Knapp
 NPC, 8 posts
 Fernspaeher
 German Ranger
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 20:54
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jason Sinclair (msg # 727):

"One little directional mine on a tripwire? That's nothing. Oberst, cover me, if you please."

To Laurin, a Pioneer, a simple booby trap was no big deal. As a combat engineer she had disarmed, and set, far more destructive devices. She slung her G22 across her chest and moved up to where the Claymore was marked. Taking out a tool set from her demo kit and a torch she briefly examined the mine and tripwire, then deftly disarmed the trap using a pair of pliers and cutters. She then put the mine away in her demo kit.

"All safe. And look! Free Claymore. You may move up, Mr. Masterson."
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 41 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 21:00
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Feldwebel Laurin Knapp (msg # 733):

Buck had the two SUVs pull into the parking lot. He dismounted, looking at the HQ's blast doors and the mall's breached entrance.

"I suspected this is where they'd go. There is an entrance to Sub Level Two at the other end of that shopping mall. It's a pretty long underground area, but I know a shortcut that will take us almost to where that entrance is. Once down into Sub Level Two ya'all are on your own. That area's pretty nasty, it was an industrial zone. Folks used to dump garbage and even toxic waste there before the war when the city pretty much abandoned that part of the Down Below.

"Ya'all got two choices. Ya'all can mount up here and we take you to near the entrance to Sub Level Two. Or you can proceed here on foot, track them through the mall. Or some combination."

Jane Guin
 player, 642 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 21:00
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Feldwebel Laurin Knapp (msg # 733):

Jane hung back a bit after the claymore was disarmed.  She knew that it could have been just a "toy" as some of them were called.  Distraction others might call it.  "Look to see if it has it's brother by him.  They like to put them far enough apart to make you think you're safe but close enough to catch you unguarded."
Feldwebel Laurin Knapp
 NPC, 9 posts
 Fernspaeher
 German Ranger
Tue 13 Oct 2015
at 21:24
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jane Guin (msg # 735):

The Pioneer shook her head.

"No. It looks like they were in too much of a hurry to set decoys."
Peter Firecrow
 player, 659 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 14 Oct 2015
at 18:29
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter watched Jane walk away to discuss the trap that was found. He then listened to Buck and thought for a moment. He shrugged his shoulders slightly. "I would personally vote to go to the entrance near to Sub Level Two and try to catch up or intercept them possibly."
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 42 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Sat 17 Oct 2015
at 08:50
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 737):

Buck took in the shrug without comment.

"Well now, you're the only buckaroo that's bothered to put in his vote. Everyone mount up then, we're going back the way we came, then down a different access tunnel."
Feldwebel Laurin Knapp
 NPC, 10 posts
 Fernspaeher
 German Ranger
Sat 17 Oct 2015
at 08:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Buck Masterson (msg # 738):

Slinging her G22 across her chest where she would have easy access to it, Laurin climbed aboard the lead SUV. "Ready. Colonel, you coming?"
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 414 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Mon 19 Oct 2015
at 12:54
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The Colonel had uncharacteristically ignored the discussion about which way to take. Actually he had never taken his eyes of the mall entrance. Though it wasn't visible under armour and ghillie suit, cold sweat had broken out all over his body and he felt frozen to the spot.

"Was? A yes. Wouldn't want to go through there. Oh no. Could be bad things in therer. Better to go around. Much better.

Schaeffer was quite obviously rattled.
Jason Sinclair
 player, 270 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Tue 20 Oct 2015
at 21:10
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In Jason's former line of work he was trained to watch close comrades for unusual behavior. Schaeffer may not have visibly shaken, but his hesitation was noticible. One of two possibilities passed through Jason's mind as he watched Schaeffer. First was influenced by manitous. Second he was scared. Neither seemeed likely so Jason silently pondered a third option which was why he missed the question of which way to go.
   "I hope we don't lose them or lose time taking this other way. That is my singular concern."

This message was last updated by the GM at 21:10, Tue 20 Oct 2015.

Rowan Dawson
 player, 1195 posts
 Medic
 Story-Teller
Mon 19 Oct 2015
at 18:47
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer:
The Colonel had uncharacteristically ignored the discussion about which way to take. Actually he had never taken his eyes of the mall entrance. Though it wasn't visible under armour and ghillie suit, cold sweat had broken out all over his body and he felt frozen to the spot.

"Was? A yes. Wouldn't want to go through there. Oh no. Could be bad things in therer. Better to go around. Much better.

Schaeffer was quite obviously rattled.

Rowan steps up beside her love, "easy love, you only feel what all feel down here, come lead us on she prompts".
"Together we are one, strong and true"
Increase Trask
 player, 30 posts
 Robo Hunter
Mon 19 Oct 2015
at 19:02
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...

Trusk follows the others once they move off again. He was hoping the idea was to cut the enemy off once they had traversed through the mall, he did not like the idea of fighting through the second level.
Buck Masterson
 NPC, 43 posts
 Owner, Operator
 Downbelow Tours
Wed 21 Oct 2015
at 09:20
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Jason Sinclair (msg # 741):

Buck took his cigar out of his mouth and spat. "It's a safe bet, if they're going for the deep underground complex. They could be anywhere, even just inside the mall. But bear in mind, they got several hours of a head start on us. Wasting time isn't our biggest worry.

"After all, mister tin can (Trask) has to keep up with us and we don't want to run into any ambushes. So we'll be at a sedate pace.

"Trask, you got sensors on that thing? Want to take point?"

Increase Trask
 player, 31 posts
 Robo Hunter
Wed 21 Oct 2015
at 18:45
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Buck Masterson (msg # 744):

"Radars down, though I have the heart beat sensor so I should be good. Yea I'm your huckleberry." Trask moves forward and after an initial scan starts moving down the route Buck pointed out.
The Marshall
 GM, 2173 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Fri 23 Oct 2015
at 20:37
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
In reply to Increase Trask (msg # 745):

They mounted up again and, after pulling U-Turns in the underground car park, headed back the way they came. Trask was moved up into the lead to take point, guided by radio.

After re-entering the Interstate tunnel, they travelled a few blocks down the long, empty chamber. Then took another exit, this time sloping further down and around in a spiral ramp. The exit ramp debouched into a long narrow tunnel that looked like it was lined with empty boarded-up shops, ending in another parkade.

Search roll from Trask.
Jane Guin
 player, 643 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Fri 23 Oct 2015
at 20:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
As they moved forward, Jane kept getting that itchy feeling.  She hated that feeling.  It was the feeling of "you're walking into an ambush" or something similar.  But then in her way of life, that feeling cropped up on a regular basis.

Jane kept her eyes peeled for that ambush or whatever to occur.  It always did...sooner or later.
Increase Trask
 player, 32 posts
 Robo Hunter
Sat 24 Oct 2015
at 02:54
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...

Trask keeps moving along the road watching the sensors flicker in front of his face. The thermal seems to be back to normal and operating correctly, though for how long he could not tell.

Increase Trask rolled 8 using 3d8, keeping the highest dice only with rolls of 8,5,7.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 660 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Mon 26 Oct 2015
at 19:26
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Peter let himself relax for just a few moments while they were all turning around to get going again. He knew that he wouldn't have another opportunity likely where he wouldn't have to be on 'high alert' for a while. Once they got close to their destination, he tuned his senses up once more and began looking around for an ambush just like Jane was doing. But he kept silent for the moment.
Jason Sinclair
 player, 271 posts
 Texas Ranger
 Templar
Tue 27 Oct 2015
at 03:51
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Jason waited for the last transport to be turned around and climbed on. It wasn't cowardice, but rather the knowledge that someone needed to be rearguard. As they were leaving he saw something in the shadows glint. It was just the claymore. He hoped it was paranoia that made him worry. He trusted the group that he had fallen in with. They had passed the Test of Worth in Boise when they helped with Modeen. He missed that vato Trejo from time to time. Simon would be ok. Between Jason, the posse, and Evanor he had no doubts. Add in the trust that he was given by the Templar's Librarian and success was all but guaranteed. So he smiled and relaxed as much as anyone could in his position. Whistling the Texas Ranger anthem.
Smoker Nix
 player, 771 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Tue 27 Oct 2015
at 10:14
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Smoker was still huddled up, but looking around as they went. He didn't like dark enclosed spaces anyway, which didn't help.
The Marshall
 GM, 2174 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 29 Oct 2015
at 09:31
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
Thermal didn't seem to be picking up anything. Still, Trask couldn't shake the feeling of being watched from the shadowy alcoves and cross-tunnels that intersected their route at odd intervals.

The convoy travelled a few minutes on the Interstate, then took another off-ramp tunnel. They travelled slowly so that Trask could keep up.

All the while, Buck grumbled about how they should have seen some Moorlocks by now. Still, there were no ambushes, no other booby traps.

The off-ramp led to a maintenance access tunnel under the shopping mall, 4 lanes wide, running down between two docks. Garbage compactors lined one side, while loading bays (shutters down) lined the others, all about 6 feet above the level of the road. At the end the tunnel opened out into a parking and loading area large enough for semi-tractors to turn around in.

Surrounding this wide open chamber were more loading docks raised 6 feet up, several garbage dumpsters, and a half dozen abandoned container trailers still backed up to the loading docks.

Search checks from everyone, please.
COL Kurt L. Schaeffer
 player, 416 posts
 Fernspaeher
 Ranger
Thu 29 Oct 2015
at 21:40
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
The Colonel was still shaken. At least he'd been able to aoid another flashback. The mall...there were too mayn bad memories connected with malls. He tried to take his mind of those by concentrating on doing his job.
The Marshall
 GM, 2178 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 2 Nov 2015
at 22:03
Re: Whoever Fights Monsters...
To the right of the large, open chamber was a series of loading docks, 6 feet up. Ladders provided access from the street/tunnel level to the platform. There were five abandoned box trailers, still backed up to the docks. Behind the docks were several metal roll-up doors, some still open and leading into blackness.

To the left were more raised platforms, but lined with dumpsters and large garbage compactors every 10 feet. Again, the only easy way up were small metal ladders set into the concrete. One trailer was backed up as if it was abandoned in the act of unloading garbage.

Directly ahead were more (empty) docks, and several ramps leading up to the loading bay level. More doors and tunnels lead out from the area.

It was completely dark in the empty space, the walls and every surface covered with graffiti save for the surface, which was littered with paper and plastic bits of trash. The only lights were the banks attached to their SUVs.

Buck pointed to the far right exit tunnel. "That's where we're going."





                                  Exit Tunnels

                   |  |        |   |        |   |         |  |
                  _|  |________|   |________|   |_________|  |
                 |       Platform 6 feet above "street"      |
                 |       __ ____    _________    ___ ___     |
                 |   [] |  "    |  |         |  |   "   |    O
                 |   [] |       |__|         |__|       |    [
                 |   [] |         \          /          =    [
                 |      =         Ramps up to     [TTTT]|    [
                 |   [] |           Platform            |    O
            &nbs