OOC Thread IV.   Posted by The Marshall.Group: 0
The Marshall
 GM, 2881 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 08:11
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton (msg # 737):

I only read the Toxic Shaman book a very long time ago. No recollection at all, sorry!

That said, I have been toying with a new Continuing Action, "Grazing Fire". The original Continuing Action was intended for driving. You spent an action before the turn began, then you were assumed to perform a driving action on 5 different phases (Ace, Jack, Eight, Five, Deuce) so that you were driving throughout the turn in a smoother way. Grazing Fire requires a SAW, LMG, GPMG or greater. You still roll Quickness to determine initiative but all actions are spent on grazing fire. You act on the previously mentioned phases, firing one or more bursts of Suppressive Fire per Action (determine hits and effects as per Suppressive Fire).

In this turn, everyone can assume to have 5 actions if you want them. Next turn we'll start with Quickness checks!

Toiny
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 241 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff Wieldin Techno-Mage
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 13:47
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 738):

Just happened to be rereading it saw something and was curious
Peter Firecrow
 player, 974 posts
 No Old Ways here
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 16:08
Re: OOC Thread IV
The Marshall:
I only read the Toxic Shaman book a very long time ago. No recollection at all, sorry!

Same here.

The Marshall:
That said, I have been toying with a new Continuing Action, "Grazing Fire". The original Continuing Action was intended for driving. You spent an action before the turn began, then you were assumed to perform a driving action on 5 different phases (Ace, Jack, Eight, Five, Deuce) so that you were driving throughout the turn in a smoother way. Grazing Fire requires a SAW, LMG, GPMG or greater. You still roll Quickness to determine initiative but all actions are spent on grazing fire. You act on the previously mentioned phases, firing one or more bursts of Suppressive Fire per Action (determine hits and effects as per Suppressive Fire).

In this turn, everyone can assume to have 5 actions if you want them. Next turn we'll start with Quickness checks!

Hmm. Interesting.

Question for the scene: What's 'behind' us, if we wanted to move away from the water, to put more distance between us and the apparently overwhelming odds coming?
The Marshall
 GM, 2882 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 19:18
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 740):

You are back at your old raft position, near what used to be the ruins of Port Allen and the recreational theme park. (A combination gun range, water park and nature/hunting preserve because it was the Confederacy.)

On the riverbank where you are is the remains of a river walk, lined with destroyed concession stands, restaurants and hotels (now just piles of cinder blocks and bricks) wrecked after years of flooding. The terrain inland at this point is mainly forest strewn with the shells of concrete buildings and rusty amusement park rides.

A little upriver is all forest up to the remains of the collapsed O.K. Allen Bridge, downriver are some light industrial ruins among the forest and the stub of the collapsed I-10 bridge (this is where you hid the inoperable Humvee).
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 242 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff Wieldin Techno-Mage
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 20:05
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 741):

 See but my concern is going inland presents us having to lose the boats and getting on the water means we have to try and lose 4 skiffs which probably can out run us and that is before we factor that damnable cannon on the river boat. Not to mention that if we go inland we lose all tactical initiative. Now if we had even a dirt bike maybe just maybe we could do something a little different.
The Marshall
 GM, 2883 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 21:19
Re: OOC Thread IV
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton:
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 741):

 See but my concern is going inland presents us having to lose the boats and getting on the water means we have to try and lose 4 skiffs which probably can out run us and that is before we factor that damnable cannon on the river boat. Not to mention that if we go inland we lose all tactical initiative. Now if we had even a dirt bike maybe just maybe we could do something a little different.


I'm not sure if I specified this but Luke's boat is hidden and nowhere near where you are now. Well enough that at least you didn't see it out in the open! You might lose your raft, if it comes to it.

My opinion is the opposite, if you go mobile you retain initiative. If you make a stand where you are you lose the initiative. If you are out of sight in the woods you can set an ambush at the place of your choosing, or keep moving inland until they give up, assuming they only go so far.

I really wanted to make Grazing Fire done in 4-round bursts, but the weapons in DL have RoFs in multiples of 3. A 4-round burst would mean more or less 1 burst per Action, which kind of makes sense as Grazing Fire is supposed to be methodical, where you are not aiming nor hosing down a target with lead.

Tony
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 243 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff Wieldin Techno-Mage
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 23:22
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 743):

You didn't which makes a difference. So we would have a surprise round so to speak which would mean that they couldn't react to the change right away.
The Marshall
 GM, 2884 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Fri 2 Oct 2020
at 00:30
Re: OOC Thread IV
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton:
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 743):

You didn't which makes a difference.

So we would have a surprise round so to speak which would mean that they couldn't react to the change right away.


Luke did say his boat is hidden at some point. Glad to clarify!

A hasty ambush is still an ambush. Depending on how well you roll and how poorly they roll they could even freeze or break.

Tony
The Marshall
 GM, 2889 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 02:57
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 745):

I put up a quick drawing of a proposed standard military-style ambush line.

It doesn't make use of the truck, but everyone is in cover in an ambush line.

Try this link to download the .png without needing permission.

https://docs.google.com/drawin.../pub?w=960&h=720

Tony

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:47, Fri 30 Oct.

Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 249 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff Wieldin Techno-Mage
Fri 30 Oct 2020
at 04:20
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 746):

See what I was thinking was Peter and Smoker taking cover behind the ice cream truck with our local guide. Trask and I are on the right and left flanks. This gives us a pretty wide killing field with at least three full auto weapons spread between all three arcs. And if we can rig up a "trap" on my Hellstrome SAW then we can really mess these guys day up.  Leaves me and Trask a little open for getting return fire, but again it basically takes everything if front of us as a killing zone.

 Using the pic the truck is the little box setup to the North. We put (either way) Trask to the Southeast slightly and me to the Northwest. I'm making an assumption that the blue line is supposed to be a stream and the green line is the direction of their advance.
Brother Edgar
 player, 305 posts
 Doomsayer
 Church of the Holy Atom
Sat 31 Oct 2020
at 04:00
Re: OOC Thread IV
I notice Brother Edgar is not included in the plan.  Which is fine.  Really.

*sniff*

It's fine.



To be fair, he has no more mojo....or a gun...  Just a heavy metal club and a knife.

So, Edgar will just be where he can back someone up if any of the pirates starts to close in on them.  Since Trask is armored....  Probably provide close support for Crichton?
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 250 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff Wieldin Techno-Mage
Sat 31 Oct 2020
at 08:11
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to Brother Edgar (msg # 748):

 Can you shoot?
Brother Edgar
 player, 306 posts
 Doomsayer
 Church of the Holy Atom
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 04:45
Re: OOC Thread IV

Bro Edgar has not really had much thought for guns.  Generally being able to blast bolts of energy from his hands...

Not bad in hand to hand though.

As I said, fair not to include him in the ambush plan, being that he is not a shooter.  So I suggested a good, hopefully useful spot for him.  If there's a better place, let me know.
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 251 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff Wieldin Techno-Mage
Mon 2 Nov 2020
at 05:23
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to Brother Edgar (msg # 750):

No I agree with the location. Just that Chricton is basically a walking armory of pistols. Everything from cap and ball to plasma it is kinda of funny.
The Marshall
 GM, 2890 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 3 Nov 2020
at 04:19
Re: OOC Thread IV
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton:
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 746):

See what I was thinking was Peter and Smoker taking cover behind the ice cream truck with our local guide. Trask and I are on the right and left flanks. This gives us a pretty wide killing field with at least three full auto weapons spread between all three arcs. And if we can rig up a "trap" on my Hellstrome SAW then we can really mess these guys day up.  Leaves me and Trask a little open for getting return fire, but again it basically takes everything if front of us as a killing zone.

 Using the pic the truck is the little box setup to the North. We put (either way) Trask to the Southeast slightly and me to the Northwest. I'm making an assumption that the blue line is supposed to be a stream and the green line is the direction of their advance.


The box is the ice cream truck. The green line is where an ambush line would normally be. In cover or concealment parallel to the enemy line of travel, which is the red line.

Tony
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 252 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff Wieldin Techno-Mage
Tue 3 Nov 2020
at 15:24
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 752):

I'm not far off then
The Marshall
 GM, 2892 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 08:36
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton (msg # 753):

Not too far, no!

My apologies, I've been dealing with an annoying and distracting problem in our apartment the last few weeks. Hopefully it's resolved tomorrow so I can move things ahead!

Again, thanks for your patience.

Thanks,

Tony
Peter Firecrow
 player, 978 posts
 No Old Ways here
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 10 Nov 2020
at 02:09
Re: OOC Thread IV
So the plan is to line up-ish, aim at them and then blast them?
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 253 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff Wieldin Techno-Mage
Tue 10 Nov 2020
at 09:48
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 755):

Split between the truck and the trees I believe.
The Marshall
 GM, 2893 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 11 Nov 2020
at 08:43
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton (msg # 756):

Figure out who's where, then!

Tony
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 255 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff Wieldin Techno-Mage
Thu 12 Nov 2020
at 00:15
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 757):

I already did. Trask, Chricton, and Edgar are the flanking line. Smoker, Peter, our tag along are inside the truck.
The Marshall
 GM, 2894 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 15 Nov 2020
at 07:36
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton (msg # 758):

Got it! Peter appears to want to be on more solid ground.

Thanks,

Tony
The Marshall
 GM, 2896 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 18 Nov 2020
at 06:47
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 759):

I need Sneak and Quickness checks for Smoker and Peter. Trask's player is on vacation so I'll roll for him.

Thanks,

Tony
Smoker Nix
 player, 1051 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 18 Nov 2020
at 14:54
Re: OOC Thread IV
Done & posted in the Die Roll thread.

Now back to the help session that has no students turning up to ask for help :)
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 257 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff Wieldin Techno-Mage
Wed 18 Nov 2020
at 16:10
Re: OOC Thread IV
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 761):

We call that easy money around here.