Night Moves.   Posted by The Marshall.Group: 0
The Marshall
 GM, 2606 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 21 Aug 2017
at 20:45
Night Moves
Wednesday 08 June 2094
0530 Hours
Cool, clear.

Predawn.

Queen City TX, Outside Vivian LA.

With The Glow not providing a clear alternative it was decided the posse would take 3 days to get to Vivian. Hopefully their quarry, Kargo, would still be there. He was riding Rowan's stolen hover-bike and was faster in that sense but he had to stop for refuelling, which the Posse did not.

The next few days of travel passed quickly. The cracked and abandoned highways of the then-Confederacy were clear enough of wrecks to make good time. There were many bridges out, mainly due to air strikes and demolition during the war. But there were no road gangs that showed themselves willing to take on a heavily-armed if small convoy high-balling it east into the rising sun. A few travellers waved in a friendly manner but they couldn't stop to talk to them other than to pass along route information, which was mainly good and clear. The first two evenings on the road they found walled Waster communities willing to take them in.

They were camped in the small town of Queen City, Texas, about 25 miles out of Vivian. Vivian was in the NW part of Louisiana by the borders of Texas and Arkansas. Ruled by an aristocracy, Queen City had been a suburb of Atlanta, Texas (not Georgia) that had mainly survived Judgement Day intact under the leadership of the Neus family. The walled community was based around 2 large buildings (a Nuessman's Department Store and a big-box Hardware Depot store) in a shopping plaza opposite each other across a large parking lot. The large parking lot between them had been torn up and planted with crops.

There was a glow on the eastern horizon but the stars still shone overhead. A few watch-fires blazed on the 2 large buildings and connecting walls that surrounded the community. It was still a half-hour before false dawn and an hour before dawn.
Roadkill
 NPC, 692 posts
 Road Warrior
 former Road Ganger
Mon 21 Aug 2017
at 20:48
Night Moves
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 1):

The rig and Peter's technical were parked in the "visitor's lot", a section of remaining pavement inside and by the north gate to Queen City. The rest of the large parking lot was planted with neat rows of trestles and furrowed plots.

Sighing, Roadkill stretched and sipped his ersatz coffee, rubbing his stubble. "We got about an hour's drive to Vivian. Should be dawn by then. Anyone got a plan?"
Increase Trask
 player, 189 posts
 Robo Hunter
Tue 22 Aug 2017
at 23:12
Night Moves

Trask was out of his bed and looking for something to eat. He rubbed his hands as he looked for a likely place to find breakfast.

-
Smoker Nix
 player, 949 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 23 Aug 2017
at 10:03
Night Moves
Smoker was still snoring.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 845 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 23 Aug 2017
at 21:02
Re: Night Moves
Peter got out of the technical and stretched for several minutes working out the kinks in several parts of his body, but most especially his back and neck. He blew out a long breath as he looked around for a moment.

He turned to look at Roadkill after he spoke up. He gave the man a flat unamused look. "Roadkill. I'm disappointed in you. Do we ever have a plan?" Then he chuckled slightly and looked to the group. "I've never been there myself, so I'm not sure what to expect. I would say we try to find out where he's at and try to avoid a fight if we can. Do we have a way to show proof of ownership? Thoughts? Ideas?"
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 125 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff wieldin Techno-Mage
Wed 23 Aug 2017
at 21:24
Re: Night Moves
  A sleepy, but awake Chricton chuckles looks at the group and says "I know normally we are the good guys. Hell up until Jason got hurt you had a real live Templar with the party for a bit. But we know we are taking back stolen property. Do we really care what the Lawless Wasters there think? No we owe Rowan this one. While the Colonel gets better we have a solid lead on her bike we get it back. Bonus Smoker's Colt was stolen the last time you all saw this twisted stooge." he says with yawns and grumbles about coffee thrown in.
Jane Guin
 player, 799 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Thu 24 Aug 2017
at 00:21
Re: Night Moves
Jane climbed out and started to stretch.  "I must be getting soft.  On the way over I wondered if they I could snitch some pillows or something for when I sit down on long distances."

Jane rubbed her ass and shook her head.  Of course when she was firing the guns she wouldn't be sitting but the other times...it was something to think about.
Roadkill
 NPC, 693 posts
 Road Warrior
 former Road Ganger
Thu 24 Aug 2017
at 10:37
Re: Night Moves
In reply to Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton (msg # 6):

"Peter's got a point. This Vivian burg is under the control of a Law Dog, Thomas Itson, and his posse. We roll in there heavy, ventilate this fucker and liberate Rowan's bike, we're likely to be facing off against the entire town. Could be a little necktie party in our future.

"Rowan picked up the hoverbike from a Doombringer way down in Las Cruces after he and his buddies slaughtered the folks of Shalam Colony. She never got it to Junkyard, or else she'd have some paper. But there's nada.

"If this Kargo asshole has made trouble in Vivian, they might believe us if we say the hoverbike's stolen property. We can maybe prove that we followed him from Junkyard, and it wouldn't seem likely anyone would do that just to steal a hoverbike. That is, our story is a little creditable.

"What isn't making sense is what he wants in Vivian. He was friendly with the Combine, he coulda gone straight to Denver. Or anywhere else. There is a couple oil rigs around here. But this ain't the only place with a fuel supply. Must be another reason, especially if he's gotta tiptoe around a Law Dog."

The Marshall
 GM, 2608 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Tue 5 Sep 2017
at 07:46
Re: Night Moves
Looking through the packet of paperwork and maps that Fred, the senior Librarian, gave them to assist in their quest.

First was a map of Vivian. Next a letter to all Librarians explaining what they were doing (looking for stolen property). Third, and quite useful for their purposes, was a "pink slip" listing Rowan Dawson of Junkyard as the rightful owner of the motorcycle. The last two items should serve to placate any Law Dog they were on a legitimate recovery mission, considering the trust Wasters put in the Librarians.
Jane Guin
 player, 801 posts
 Renegade Black Hat
 Former USAF Pilot
Tue 5 Sep 2017
at 20:00
Re: Night Moves
"Since we have the paperwork we might as well just go get it.  It's not going to get a any better is it if we wait any longer?"

Jane looked around at the gathered group and waited.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 846 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Tue 5 Sep 2017
at 20:27
Re: Night Moves
Peter frowned in thought for a long moment. Finally, he spoke again. "I think that we should proceed with caution, as we do not need to end up in a firefight or altercation for no reason."

When Fred the Librarian spoke up and showed them the pink slip, his eyes brightened. He nodded as if to himself. "In fact...since we have that, I think we should approach the Law Dogs directly as we are in the right but it is their jurisdiction, and seek their aid in getting this illegal issue taken care of. However, it might be a good idea to send at least a few to find Kargo to make certain he does not leave with the bike."
Smoker Nix
 player, 952 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 6 Sep 2017
at 09:57
Re: Night Moves
"Or my gun!" said Smoker, who was still a bit annoyed about that.
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 128 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff wieldin Techno-Mage
Wed 6 Sep 2017
at 15:06
Re: Night Moves
  "So yeah. Who would fit in best in that area of town? I can play at old leper just about anywhere. So I can go there. Smoker has been seen by Kargo from what I understand so he should go with whoever to see the Law Dogs. Past that I got nothin'."
Roadkill
 NPC, 694 posts
 Road Warrior
 former Road Ganger
Sat 9 Sep 2017
at 04:05
Re: Night Moves
In reply to Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton (msg # 13):

"Jane, Smoker, Peter and me all drove for the Convoy. Lots of trade with the Oil Towns. We can say we're dead-heading to Amarillo, or heading north into Kansas."

Roadkill lit a hand-rolled cigarette.
The Marshall
 GM, 2610 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Fri 15 Sep 2017
at 21:15
Re: Night Moves
In reply to Roadkill (msg # 14):

It didn't seem like a definite plan was going to present itself at that time, although there were some ideas. The main problems were that if they went in after Kargo (the biker and possible Anti-Templar) with all guns blazing the local Law Dogs would have something to say about it. The second was that Kargo would probably recognise Smoker (again). Roadkill's rig was also at the last battle over Modeen and the Destroyers and could be recognised as well.

They drove south on LA Route 1 to just beyond the outskirts of Vivian, on LA State Route 1 west of Black Bayou Lake.

Dawn was breaking through the surrounding forest.

All around was heavily wooded, and although before the war much had been cleared for agriculture all the abandoned farms and roadside buildings of various kinds were swallowed up by newly grown trees hung with Spanish moss. What little remained was hidden under a thick layer of Kudzu, which also had begun to encroach the sides of the road, even growing across it in places.





Entire farmhouses and silos were completely overgrown:



The Posse stopped in what was once a large parking lot outside a gas station and Cracker Barrel convenience store. Now there was barely clear space to part the rig and the technical in the middle, even then they needed to roll over some of the livid green tendrils that stretched across the cracked pavement. Several vehicles including a couple buses abandoned along the parking lot perimeter were wholly or partially overgrown by Kudzu vines and sinking into the ground.





They had begun passing more and more dire warning signs:

WARNING: THE TOWN OF VIVIAN IS UNDER MARITAL LAW INCLUDING A STRICT WEAPONS BAN.

ALL FIREARMS, BLADES OVER 6 INCHES, BOWS AND CROSSBOWS, THROWN WEAPONS, EXPLOSIVE DEVICES AND ANYTHING DEEMED A DEADLY WEAPON BY TOWN CONSTABULARY ARE TO BE SURRENDERED AT THE OUTER PERIMETER BEFORE ENTRY IS ALLOWED. VOUCHERS WILL BE ISSUED FOR RETURN.

TRAVELLERS DESIRING TRADE AND ACCOMMODATION BUT NOT DESIRING ENTRY TO THE TOWN ARE DIRECTED TO THE ROAD HOUSE ON ROUTE 2 BY I-95.

BY ORDER OF VIVIAN TOWN MARSHALL THOMAS ITSON.

Vivian is part of the Oil Town Protection League, Rotary Club and home of the Red Bud Festival."

Roadkill
 NPC, 695 posts
 Road Warrior
 former Road Ganger
Fri 15 Sep 2017
at 21:20
Re: Night Moves
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 15):

Roadkill looked at the sign out on the road and nodded.

"Oh yeah, I remember this 'burg now.

"We are to the north of town. The main trade route is along I-49 to the east of the town, and that's where the roadhouse is. There's an oil well still working in town and they can refine it a little bit. They sell gasoline, diesel and Spook Juice out at the roadhouse. Good supply of water from the bayou lake, in between the town and the roadhouse.

"I never been to the town itself, we just stopped at the roadhouse. Heard there was a big gang raid about five years ago, going after the oil storage tanks in town. They all got creamed. Pretty tight defenses, at least back then."

The Marshall
 GM, 2611 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 16 Sep 2017
at 01:10
Re: Night Moves
It was that fading moment when the last of the cool night air became warm and humid as the sun rose.

The early dawn air is filled with bird calls and the buzzing of insects. After the dry sterile heat of the desert you just crossed, the forests of Louisiana are fragrant with the green smell of vegetation like flowers, trees, moss, vines. Almost too overpowering, cloying, even.
Smoker Nix
 player, 953 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Sat 16 Sep 2017
at 11:24
Re: Night Moves
"Given that Kargo knows me, I'd best stay out of town," said Smoker.

"The rest of you can leave your weapons with me, the ones you aren't supposed to take into town."
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 130 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff wieldin Techno-Mage
Sat 16 Sep 2017
at 14:15
Re: Night Moves
  "Interesting. Guess we should assume that they shoot first and ask questions never. Wish I had time to fully upgrade my staff." he brushes off his rifle, starts pulling off gun belts, and assorted holsters. A small arsenal in pistols is unloaded by the Junker including a couple of Combine weapons. He sets the backpack with the arsenal amd starts loading the pistol belts into the pack putting the Combine guns at bottom of the pile. "Only get into this in a dire emergency. I would hate for you to lose a hand. You don't need a gun do you?"
Peter Firecrow
 player, 847 posts
 Not that kind of Indian
 Wanna buy a gun?
Wed 20 Sep 2017
at 04:35
Re: Night Moves
Peter frowned at the warning sign. He definitely did NOT like being completely unarmed (and the smallest weapons he had were pistols and a machete). He could understand the sentiment, with only the law enforcement types being armed. It theoretically would cut down on fighting and killing in the town, and theoretically make people less likely to start something. But it made everyone wholly reliant on the law and if a large force rolled in and ignored the law, then it could be a quickly-deteriorating situation.

He sighed and handed his weapons over to Smoker slowly, hesitantly, PAINFULLY. He kept his armor on, though fat lot of good it would likely do him. He left the helmet behind, since wearing it and the armor made him look as though he were actually looking for trouble. he tossed a poncho over the armor as well, but kept the hood down.

"Well. I guess we should go talk to the Law Dogs and a couple should go see if they can discreetly locate Kargo so he cannot...what is the word?...'rabbit'?...on us. Maybe check the Roadhouse first and then go in further?
Increase Trask
 player, 191 posts
 Robo Hunter
Wed 20 Sep 2017
at 05:44
Re: Night Moves

"Right, well as a walking weapon I suppose I could watch the vehicles ? Otherwise I can leave the suit here if that is easiest ?"

-
Roadkill
 NPC, 696 posts
 Road Warrior
 former Road Ganger
Sat 23 Sep 2017
at 08:51
Re: Night Moves
In reply to Peter Firecrow (msg # 20):

"Sounds good, Peter. We gotta circle a little back to head east to the Interstate, south to the Roadhouse and then west into town. I think they're a little less picky about guns there as that's the kind of "portal" or trading post. If you go west into town from there you need to disarm first so we I can stay with the rig with Trask. That leaves us as kind of a reaction element. Once we split up call for help on the CB.

"OK everyone, let's mount up!"


Roadkill climbed back up and started his engine.
The Marshall
 GM, 2619 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sat 23 Sep 2017
at 09:17
Re: Night Moves
The Posse mounted up in the predawn darkness of the abandoned town. They first travelled east along a disused and overgrown state route, then came to I-49. Lining the road was thick, lush greenery. Trees hanging with moss and Kudzu, bushes, the odd pond covered over with a brilliant green algae and reeds.

Merging onto the massive Inter-Confederate roadway they made good time heading south to the second offramp. The exit sign was marked:

HOSSTON

Porky's Roadhouse
Booze! Women! Oil Products! Spook Juice!
More Women!!!!
This way!!!! ---->


The arrow pointed towards the largely abandoned town of Hosston amid the forest, scattered buildings now just a few shapes lost under the Kudzu.

However, just above the treetops they could see the beams of 2 spotlights pointed up at the sky, and more lights, likely on a building or watch towers, located less than a mile west from the Inter-Confederate roadway.