Hell or High Water.   Posted by The Marshall.Group: 0
The Marshall
 GM, 2880 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 08:07
Re: Hell or High Water
In reply to Smoker Nix (msg # 62):

Smoker got his pack, FN rifle and Colt Python and hoofed it over to the concrete remains of the foundation to join the rest of the posse.

Trask and Crichton started popping off rounds at the approaching flatboats. It was difficult to judge the effectiveness of their fire at this range, but the occupants of both targeted boats ducked down and fire from all boats effectively ceased. But there were 4 boats total and they continued approaching. [Marshal's Note: I am assuming a single 3-round burst from both firers for ammunition tracking purposes.] Peter sighted in another boat but held his fire.

The big ship seems to have recovered somewhat. After drifting for a brief time the booming drum noises resumed and the oars began to dip into the water once again, propelling it forward once more.
Luke Kirby
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 08:14
Re: Hell or High Water
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 65):

A worried Luke took out some taped-up binoculars from his pack and studied the oncoming boats.

"Shit, looks like 10, 15 or more per boat. That's 40 to 60 of them at least! If they land and then encircle us here, we're completely fucked. Let's get out of here!" He put his binoculars away and slung his Police SMG, getting ready to make a run for it.
Smoker Nix
 player, 1046 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 13:45
Re: Hell or High Water
Smoker raised his FN and started looking for targets... but kept the rest of his possessions to hand in case they bugged out rather than fight.

"If we make enough noise, maybe they'll decide to sail on by," he said hopefully.
Increase Trask
 player, 281 posts
 Robo Hunter
Thu 1 Oct 2020
at 20:19
Re: Hell or High Water

Trask spoke over the teams comms. "OK if we are moving then go and I will cover you." Trask turned back and adjusted his aim towards those manning the main gun again.

Increase Trask rolled 10 using 5d12, keeping the highest dice only, rerolling max with rolls of 9,6,10,9,7.  Shootin.
Luke Kirby
Sat 3 Oct 2020
at 04:52
Re: Hell or High Water
"All right, follow me. I know the ruins a bit. Not like the back of my hand but enough not to get lost or trapped in a dead end."

He hopped out and disappeared down an alley.

Marshall's Note: OK, time to vote with your feet! Are you going to stay or go?
Brother Edgar
 player, 301 posts
 Doomsayer
 Church of the Holy Atom
Mon 5 Oct 2020
at 03:04
Re: Hell or High Water
Brother Edgar started to reach for the boatman, but missed catching him to stop him.  He turned back to Smoker and Crichton, "There are so many...  I will stay if you make this stand and help how I can."  He held up his odd walking stick like a club.  Sadly it did not glow with an furious atomic power this time.  It showed his intent, but obviously the tired radpriest had little to offer this fight beyond moral support, "Make your choice quickly, friends...  Fight or flee.  I pray St. Darwin guides this Natural Selection in our favor..."
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 244 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff Wieldin Techno-Mage
Mon 5 Oct 2020
at 03:17
Re: Hell or High Water
  "We are bugging out. You and Smoker get to moving. I'm out just before Trask." he says to the two before he hits his comm. ++"Trask I'm cutting bait once Priest and Smoker are moving. I will gst to cover and try to provide you some covering fire. Problems? Call em now."++
Smoker Nix
 player, 1047 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Mon 5 Oct 2020
at 17:36
Re: Hell or High Water
"OK, come on Brother Edgar. How fast can you move?"

Smoker was ready to offer assistance, or at least carry his stuff, if needed. As for the raft, well, it had taken most of the afternoon to build but so what? He could always build another one if they ended up needing it.
Brother Edgar
 player, 302 posts
 Doomsayer
 Church of the Holy Atom
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 03:20
Re: Hell or High Water
Brother Edgar pushed himself up and started off after Luke, "Hopefully fast enough.  Let's go."  He hoped the scavenger boatman would be easy enough to follow.  Barring that, that he could at least help find a path with enough cover that they don't all get cut down.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 975 posts
 No Old Ways here
 Wanna buy a gun?
Fri 9 Oct 2020
at 04:58
Re: Hell or High Water
Peter didn't hesitate much. He'd already made the decision when he 'fell back' from the water's edge. They numbers against them were a bit overwhelming. "Today is not a good day to die." He smiled slightly. "Let us withdraw."

He then began to hastily but carefully head away from the water and the thugs, heading towards the woods.
The Marshall
 GM, 2885 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Wed 14 Oct 2020
at 05:08
Re: Hell or High Water
They quickly made their way through the overgrown nature/theme park away from the river. They could still hear the drumming noise, and the crack of a cannon shot. It seemed they escaped the trap as they did not immediately see anyone closing off their escape route.

After about a kilometer they could still hear the booming of the drums, but faintly. They were in dense overgrown forest now. This made them tough to see but they left traces of their passing on the thick lush forest, making them still not difficult to track if the raiders were doing that.

Marshall's note: everyone make a Stealth check.
The Marshall
 GM, 2886 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 22 Oct 2020
at 05:16
Re: Hell or High Water
In reply to The Marshall (msg # 75):

They left the main group of pursuers behind as they quietly slipped through the dense forest to the west, away from the river. For a little while it looked like they made it. However, there was some loud shouting from about 4-500 yards behind them as if maybe someone picked up their trail.

Just then the game path they were following west through the forest led them to a swampy area with a stream in the middle crossing their route (from north-south). A rusted ice cream truck sat mired up to its hubcaps in the reeds in their path.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 977 posts
 No Old Ways here
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 22 Oct 2020
at 19:13
Re: Hell or High Water
Peter was trying to move along as stealthily as he could, but while still maintaining a somewhat hurried pace. It was kind of exhausting to do for a long period of time. He found he was breathing a bit heavily after some time - how much time? He wasn't sure. It felt like they been on the stealth run for a very long time - but in all likelihood it wasn't more than a few minutes.

The sounds behind them were becoming fainter, which was good. And he was very glad that his own truck wasn't around to be captured or damaged by the hooligans. Then the sounds of excitement rose again and he worried they were going to be pursued. He supposed at least if it came to a fight at some point, the ship and it's cannons wouldn't be nearby. Small comfort, but he'd take what he could get.

They came across a swampy area. He chanced a glance back at his allies. "We could try and go through the swamp area to see if we can loose them. Unless you want to make a stand in that ice cream truck." It was hard to tell if he was joking or not.
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 247 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff Wieldin Techno-Mage
Thu 22 Oct 2020
at 19:21
Re: Hell or High Water
  Crichton chuckled. "I think it's about time we send them running. Might have a minute or two to set up at most, but I for one can't keep running."
Brother Edgar
 player, 304 posts
 Doomsayer
 Church of the Holy Atom
Wed 28 Oct 2020
at 03:16
Re: Hell or High Water
The Doomsayer stepped carefully over to peek into the interior of the ice cream truck (or soon to be Fort Last Stand).  He noted, "Not having their cannon and the full force of their crew should be to our advantage.  Blessed Evolution has gifted us with fight and flight...  Survival is about choosing the right one at the right time..."
Increase Trask
 player, 283 posts
 Robo Hunter
Wed 28 Oct 2020
at 04:39
Re: Hell or High Water

Trask covered the way they had just come as a course of action was decided. If there was something he could use for cover all the better.


-
Smoker Nix
 player, 1049 posts
 Scavenger & Tech
 Truck Crew
Wed 28 Oct 2020
at 13:30
Re: Hell or High Water
"Personally, I'd choose flight..." said Smoker, who was beside Brother Edgar.
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 248 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff Wieldin Techno-Mage
Wed 28 Oct 2020
at 18:24
Re: Hell or High Water
  "Standard scavs should run from a volley of fire even inaccurate fire. If timed right and we can sound like we have more folks than we actually do." he says with a shrug and a spreading of his hands.
The Marshall
 GM, 2887 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Thu 29 Oct 2020
at 07:51
Re: Hell or High Water
In reply to Brother Edgar (msg # 79):

The inside of the ice cream truck was somewhat dry but streaked with rust, grime and corrosion. Overall, the stream crossing (east to west) provided an open area with good concealment and cover (from tree trunks and logs) on all sides. There was room and cover to set a line ambush on the west side of the stream in a line perpendicular to the enemy's route of travel to take them in the flank as they crossed. Or, the truck could be used as cover for some or all of the ambushers.

Marshall's Note: Let me know the rough plan. Are you forming a line across the trail on the far side of the stream? Anyone setting up in the truck? Forming a military-style line ambush on the enemy's flank alongside their route of travel? As well make Stealth checks TN3 due to the abundant concealment available.
Increase Trask
 player, 284 posts
 Robo Hunter
Thu 29 Oct 2020
at 20:51
Re: Hell or High Water

Turning back Trask added to the conversation, be it briefly. "Lets make a stand here." He looked for a sturdy log or three to cover the majority of his armour, perhaps behind the ice cream truck he thought.



-
The Marshall
 GM, 2891 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Mon 9 Nov 2020
at 08:35
Re: Hell or High Water
They set up an ambush line, anchored on one end by the truck and on the other by the trees on the shore. Anyone following the path through the swamp would walk right past them and they could easily open up along their flank.

Sure enough, four ragged men carrying long, antique-looking rifles moved cautiously out of the trees into the marsh south of the stream. They seemed to be following the tracks the posse had left as they crossed the stream. They were dressed in rags and bits of armour, mainly plastic and leather. They were filthy and bearded, wild-looking.
Increase Trask
 player, 285 posts
 Robo Hunter
Tue 10 Nov 2020
at 20:38
Re: Hell or High Water

Trask switched on the team coms with a flick of his eye across the HUD. "They look like the poor bastards who were rowing."



-
Tech. Sgt. Airen Crichton
 player, 254 posts
 U.S.M.C. 1st Battlion
 Staff Wieldin Techno-Mage
Tue 10 Nov 2020
at 21:34
Re: Hell or High Water
 "Wait til we know this is all we are gonna get in this trap. Then light them up." Chricton says clearly worried that four was the advance party.
Peter Firecrow
 player, 979 posts
 No Old Ways here
 Wanna buy a gun?
Thu 12 Nov 2020
at 04:59
Re: Hell or High Water
Peter stayed away from the truck - he thought that while it might provide some cover, it would also be hard to get away from it if the need arose. But he set himself up to one side, hiding in cover as best he could, rifle at the ready.

He waited as the four came in to sight to see if more would be seen or heard.
The Marshall
 GM, 2895 posts
 aka "helbent4"
 aka Tony
Sun 15 Nov 2020
at 07:45
Re: Hell or High Water
The four armed ragged scavvs waded cautiously across the stream. They looked more apprehensive every step, constantly scanning their surroundings. Maybe realising how vulnerable they were to ambush as they crossed. There was no one visible behind them.

Marshall's Note: Sneak checks for everyone! And then Quickness, of course.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:46, Sun 15 Nov.