Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)   Posted by Narrator.Group: archive 0
Narrator
 GM, 36 posts
Wed 11 May 2011
at 14:09
Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
The day began in a boring fashion. The freeholders woke up and worked the fields that would eventually hold the seeds of the crops, which would in turn feed the stomachs and the economy of Witenas. It was a pleasantly cool day, no sign of rain, and the frost from the previous season had finally been driven away. Some freeholders tended to their winter wheat crop urging it to continue to sprout and then flower. The merchants harked their wares, and the smell of fresh food came from the bakers as other food merchants offered fish, eggs, milk, and meats. Around noon the taverns began to open providing beer and lunch for the working man. The Chantry held services and the Chanter's repeated the Chant of Light for all to hear. All-in-all a quiet day.

But then, around mid-afternoon, everything changed. The ground began to rumble and shake. The rumbling grew and soon a mighty boom was heard as ground cracked and fell away. Weak structures broke, objects fell from shelves, and some lost their footing. In the Chantry, the statue of Andraste swayed and cracked but remained standing. Part of the stockade fence collapsed along with most of the elvish buildings. As part of buildings collapsed onto hearths, fires started. Earthquake? Rogue Mage? No one knows yet...


What are you doing?
Buliwyf Ar Grainne Falconhold
 player, 11 posts
Wed 11 May 2011
at 15:23
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
During their time in between assignments, Buliwyf found that he could earn a copper or two just by using his prodigious strength.

And even better - he could earn it for just a short time of work rather than spending an entire day tilling fields.

Today Buliwyf was helping the local blacksmith.  Buliwyf was moving anvils around the smith's shop when the rumbling occured.  Conincidently, it was right as he set a rather heavy anvil down.  The walls rumbled and Buliwyf stood proudly and boasted, "HA!  I don't know my own strength, eh?"

It quickly became evident that the anvil was not the cause and his prideful grin melted into superstitious waryiness.

Buliwyf grabbed his axe and darted out onto the street.  Seeing the Chanters he asked them, "Is this the Maker's doing?  Has he finally come to extract vengence from us for Andraste?"
Ash
 player, 5 posts
 Lost elf
 Apostate by trade
Wed 11 May 2011
at 21:30
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
Witenas proved no better nor worse place to stop for a day or two - was Ash logic at staying in this town. That was more then a week or so ago and Ash still remained in this town. Why? he could not say for sure, perhaps it was the trove of herbs he found in the woods or better yet his hope he would be able to locate some ancient elven ruins to dig into the past of his race.

Or maybe it was the people he knew, Ash was used to be on his own alone on the world and here in this Maker forsaken town he found a couple of people he knew or maybe the true reason was that Ash got tired of always running away always looking over his shoulder and always being afraid.

Mid afternoon finds him hobbling to the chantry, or rather the chantry board, it was not that Ash could not walk but with his ash gray hair and face hidden in a cowl most people assume he was older then he was and he had no wish for the templars to pay attention with him.

He was just about to take down the missing husband notice when the ground shook around him, screams and panic overwhelmed him and he was tossed from his legs. To his panic one of the templars get him by the scruff of the neck tossing him aside and saving his life from a collapsing beam.

Ash huddled in the shadows of the cracked statue waiting for the earth to stop moving.
Gaultier DeLauncet
 player, 10 posts
 Squire Chevalier
 Orlesian Exile
Wed 11 May 2011
at 23:56
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
Gaultier had finally started to relax.  His flight from Orlais hadn't ended at the border.  While an armed unit crossing into the barbaric lands would have been an act of war, it wouldn't stop fanatics willing to do the Emperesses will.  He had kept moving until he had ended up in Witenas.  Even then, it had been a month before he felt he could stop looking over his shoulder and start to plan his life again.

And he had plans... plans to be such a thorn in Orlais' side that they would never forget his name.

All grand schemes need money though.  Which brought him to the work boards.  If only there was a way to hit all of the jobs at once, but that was impossible for one man.  Especially since his talents didn't line up with some of the requests.  If only...

Gaultier was on his way to find Alain and the others he had arrived at Witenas with.  He had a proposition to run by them.  Of course nature had a way of interrupting.  As the quake continued, he crouched down so as not to fall far should he be knocked off his feet.  Once it settled, he took survey of the area and decided to see where he could help.

Freeing anyone from a collapsed building jumped onto the list until he saw the fires.  Those became top priority.  "FIRE!"  A definate Orlesian accent called out as he ran towards the nearest group of people.  "FIRE!  Everyone help out or we might lose the town!  Grab buckets and form a line to the river!"
Alain
 player, 8 posts
 Orlesian Exile
 Warrior
Thu 12 May 2011
at 11:00
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
Alain was following the mid-day service of the chantry, deeply listening to the words of the chanter, for they gave him comfort, especially now. It was the canticle of trials that the sister was reciting.

Alain did not notice the elf dressed in a cowl until he was standing by the chanters board. Alain gave a scowl toward his back for not paying attention to the words of the sister.

As the earth began to shake, he was shocked first watching only in horror as the earth gaped underneath him and everyone else, even more so as the statue of his dear Andraste started to crack. As his horror died down a little he began to see if every one was ok. "Of course they aren't, the ground just swallowed half the village, stupid me." He said to himself. After that moment of self-learning he started picking up the elderly who had fallen.
Shrike
 player, 5 posts
Thu 12 May 2011
at 13:42
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
Shrike was at The Dirty Goat; talking to Madame Lucretia and seeing if there was any chance she might be hired to work security this evening. She knew from personal experience that the girls were often more comfortable with another woman if any of the patrons got rough and was trying to sell madame Lucretia on this point when the quake struck.

Shrike pushed the madam into a doorway and held her there till the shaking subsided. When it stopped, Shrike made a quick check to make sure that Lucretia and the girls were okay, and that the building wasn't in immediate danger of falling down, before venturing outside to scope out the extent of damage to the town.
Narrator
 GM, 49 posts
Thu 12 May 2011
at 19:53
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
The ground continues to shake and break beneath them...

@Buliwyf:
The big man finds himself face-to-face with Chanter Derek in the next rumble. The Chanter's bond to only speak the Chant of Light has a limit on how he can answer the question, "No, he pauses before continuing to question what is occurring, "What hath man's sin wrought?"

@Ash
The templar moves on to help other people. He does not notice that Ash is younger than his harm and hands would indicate. For the moment, Ash is safe from notice.

@Gaultier
Foreigner or no, the townspeople recognize the voice of authority in chaos. Quickly, men, women, and children run to get buckets and form a long line to the river. Gaultier will have to encourage them to work quickly to keep the fires from spreading.

[Private to Gaultier DeLauncet: Let's test out the Roleplaying Stunts!
15:18, Today: Secret Roll: Narrator, on behalf of Gaultier DeLauncet, rolled 18 using 3d6+2 with rolls of 5,5,6. Get the Fire Brigade ready. ~ Obviously that is a success! Although Sway the Crowd is the only applicable one, I think...
]

@Alain
Many elderly have come to hear the sister's message for the day and Alain have his work cut out for him. He has to help them get their feet and then find a safe place for them to rest while the earthquake continues. Still, those in need of assistance welcome his aid. The templars welcome it as well because his aid here allows them to move on to help those trapped in buildings or swallowed in new holes.

@Shrike
Shrike's persuasion was having some influence on the Madame even if she wasn't sold on the idea of hiring an elf when the earthquake struck. She has no difficulty getting the madame to safety. It takes a bit more to get the girls, but soon they are safe too.




Several minutes pass and the shaking has ended. There will most likely be aftershocks later, but no one in the town is aware of that as a possibility. In living memory there hasn't been an earthquake in this part of Fereldan. Some help others, some lift large beams that have split, and some help put out the fires, but that all changes when screams coming from the direction of the stockade are heard.

Actions?
Shrike
 player, 6 posts
Fri 13 May 2011
at 09:10
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
Shrike made a quick apology to Madame Lucretia, promising to come back later to finish their conversation later, and then took off at a run towards the stockade. She jumped over the scattered debris laying in the street and dodged around dazed citizens wandering th streets.

*Screams coming from the elven stockade,* she thought as she ran. *No matter what's going on, it can't be good.*
Grogg Noggin
 player, 12 posts
Fri 13 May 2011
at 12:26
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
Grogg emerges from a rather worse-for-the wear tavern, slightly wobbly, but alert. Looking about, he stows a small coin pouch inside his vest, and decides that there is probably little to be gained here, but little is more than nothing, so he looks for any good opportunities to liberate a bottle or two from the wreckage of a pub.
Ash
 player, 6 posts
 Lost elf
 Apostate by trade
Fri 13 May 2011
at 12:31
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
The templars were ignoring him and it was good, Ash quickly stood on his legs, despite his appearance he was in good shape and a good runner. He had plan to get back to the stockade to lose himself in its building when he heard the screams, cursing under his breath and despite his fear the young elf ran at the safest speed he could muster toward the stockade.
Buliwyf Ar Grainne Falconhold
 player, 12 posts
Fri 13 May 2011
at 19:45
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
Buliwyf hefts his axe and heads towards the screams at a run.  Likely his comrades would end up there, if they weren't the ones causing the screams.

He keeps an eye out along the way for anything...well, anything.  The young barbar hasn't experienced anything like this.  He's half expecting Griffons, Dragons, or the Maker himself to make an appearance.

"Stand fast!" he shouts to the people as he passes them.  More to reassure himself than to actually bolster morale.
Gaultier DeLauncet
 player, 11 posts
 Squire Chevalier
 Orlesian Exile
Fri 13 May 2011
at 23:19
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
Sigh.  Hopefully this is nothing.  Gaultier set the nearest group of people to work on a fire and hopefully contain it from spreading.  "I'll be back shortly."

He drew his sword and headed towards the emergency.  Someone taking advantage of things perhaps?  That wouldn't do.
Narrator
 GM, 50 posts
Fri 13 May 2011
at 23:57
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
@Grogg
Grogg finds no challenge in his looting. Authority figures and those who might object are running toward the screams, helping the trapped and injured, or working to put out the fires.

@Shrike, Ash, Gaultier, & Buliwyf
The four adventurers reach the stockade at roughly the same time. They are faced with a gaping hole in the ground that has Shades coming out of it (5 that they can see to be exact). The shades have already killed three elves and two humans. The town's two templars and three of its guard are fighting them!

Actions? We are entering Action Time...If you plan to engage, please roll initiative. Use the site die roller for your rolls. Also, you will need to include the following in private or in orange:
[Name]
HP: x/x
Mana (If applicable): X/X
Init: X
Defense: X
AR: X
(Only if I am rolling your attacks)
Attack: 3d6+X/Xd6+X
Favored Stunts:





@Everyone else

The townspeople continue to fight to save their town. Injured folks are hurried to the chantry for aid. Those recruited to battle the fires are emboldened by the example of Gaultier.

What are you doing?

Update will probably come Sunday evening.
Shrike
 player, 7 posts
Sat 14 May 2011
at 09:02
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
Shrike looked around to find herself a spot with some cover. Once in concealment, she strung her longbow and nocked an arrow to the string.

She popped up long enough to sight on one of the shades, then drew and fired.

[OOC: Please roll for me.]
Alain
 player, 9 posts
 Orlesian Exile
 Warrior
Sat 14 May 2011
at 10:09
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
Alain was very surprised when the seemingly old man in the cloak started to run towards the screams. There was something fishy with that.

After the second quake and keeping the people on their feet he accepted the gratitude of the templars.

Alain saw Gaultier running toward the stockade too.  Wanting an update on what in the makers name was going on, he started toward his fellow-countryman and friend. GM EDIT: At the end of my last post, Gaultier was already at the stockade. Therefore, he cannot give Alain an update until Alain is at the stockade too.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:04, Mon 16 May 2011.

Gaultier DeLauncet
 player, 12 posts
 Squire Chevalier
 Orlesian Exile
Sat 14 May 2011
at 15:12
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
Gaultier hadn't thought leaving the fire untended was a good idea until he witnessed what was transpiring.  A soldier for the fight and the commoners for the labor.  He was where he needed to be.  Hopefully things didn't get any worse.

He did spot Alain headed the same direction.  "I've seen better days, no?  Start at the left flank and work our way down." GM EDIT: I am going to be strict for consistency. At the end of my last post, you were already at the stockade. Alain was not, therefore, you wouldn't have been able to speak to him while he was still at the Chantry.

The Orlesian jogged into the fray with sword and shield at the ready.  He joined in at the left most shade and opened with a thrust of the long straight blade.  A blade that could function well from horseback, had he not lost his during the flight from his homeland.

His style of battle was conservative and defensive.  Gaultier would tend to draw the opponent to him and defend hoping to pulled them off balance and leave openings for others to exploit.

Gaultier
HP: 34/34
Init: 18
Defense: 14
AR: 5
Attack: 3d6+3/2d6+4
Favored Stunts: Threaten and Defensive Stance plus Awareness, although situational and another may be a better option at the time.

GM may roll

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:03, Mon 16 May 2011.

Ash
 player, 7 posts
 Lost elf
 Apostate by trade
Sat 14 May 2011
at 22:01
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
Ash was torn, there were templars in the crowd fighting, templars who were trained to sense magic but these were his people. How could he left them unprotected, he might not be a Keeper or a healer but he had power and just the fear for his life was not enough to prevent him from helping his people, he had not lost that much of himself.

He closed his eyes focusing the magic in him muttering a dark curse at one of the shades, one of those most close to attacking an elf.

[Private to GM: Actions:
Major: Cast Vulnerability Hex on one of the shades
Minor: None
Ash
HP: 27/27
Mana: 16/`6
Init: 3D6+2
Defense: 12
Spellpower: 12
AR: 0
Spell casting
Attack: 3d6+2/-1 Defense -2 tests (or just defense penalty if success Magic (Entropy) vs Spellpower)
Favored Stunts:
Skillful casting
Puissant casting (extra SP goes to this stunt)

You can roll for me
]
Darrahn
 player, 3 posts
Sun 15 May 2011
at 01:30
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
"Awww!!!" A rising pain made his way through the drunken haze of Darrahn' skull. He was lying on the floor, with roof straws in his hair and the litter matress on top of his head. He thought he had heard a lot of rumbling noises and screams, but only now he started to realize that was not a dream. At all.

Through the open window, Darrahn watched stunned as a confused throng of men, women and children ran everywhere, shouting relatives' names and putting out fires. Eventually his brain re-started, putting fact after fact, sudden adrenaline rushing in his heart. * The earth trembling? Here, in Witenas?*, he thought.

Carefully watching his step, Darrahn leap out to the street, trying to make his mind as to where he would be most needed. The pale, sorcerous light to his right pointed him to the starting battle.

"The elven stockade! I have a reeally bad feeling about this".

And with that, he darted forward...

Darrahn
HP: 22/22
Init: 3d6+2
Defense: 12
AR: 0
Attack: 3d6+2 (staff); dmg = 1d6+1
Favored Stunts: Skirmish and Defensive Stance, Magic: Skillful Casting and Mana Shield.

GM may roll
Buliwyf Ar Grainne Falconhold
 player, 14 posts
Sun 15 May 2011
at 13:49
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
Buliwyf dashed to the area and came up short.  "What in name of Haakon?" he begins.

Although young, Buliwyf makes a decision quickly.  He hasn't been around the templars long enough to form a solid opinion about them one way or the other.

Seeing Alain and Gaultier join the fighting (who obvioulsy weren't templars) with a plan, he opted to join their side of the fight and burst the left flank.

Buliwyf roared a challenge and set to see if an application of 15 pounds of steel behind a sharp edge put a little fear of man into the monsters.

Buliwyf
HP 36
Init 14
Def 12
AR 5
Attack:  3D6 + 4/ Damage 3D6 +4
Attack:  13 / Damage 18

Valten Durgrim
 player, 10 posts
Sun 15 May 2011
at 21:35
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
He hadn't been in Witenas long but it seemed a decent enough town. He would have preferred to stop someplace more populated, closer to power or influence like Redcliff. That hadn't been far enough from Orzammar, though. He knew unlike legitimate trade from the Dwarven city the Carta had strings and agents on the surface. If he lingered too close to his home before building somewhat of a base of power himself that the arms of the Carta would reach out to cut him down while he slept. Witenas wasn't big enough for his purposes but it was the first place that felt sufficiently far enough. It wasn't a bad place to start building a reputation either with the varied work that seemed to need doing.

This afternoon found him about to enjoy an afternoon drink. He didn't have any jobs for the day and none of his erstwhile traveling companions had called on him since two days ago. So, he decided to indulge a little of what passed for ale on the surface.

His drink was just on it's way to him when the rumbling started. It never made it, the barmaid stumbling and spilling the whole thing on the floor halfway. The only mug that seemed safe from spilling was the one in a local drunkards grubby hands. Even the drinks on tables and the bartop rattled and rolled till they dropped to the ground.

He knew what an earthquake felt like. He'd been through countless minor trembles and cave-ins back in Orzammar. This felt different, somehow. It was certainly more severe than all but the worst of cave-ins and he felt much closer to it than he had been for any of those. Immediately he got up and grabbed his axe, slinging it into it's position on his back. He went to the door and looked out to judge what was going on. He needed only a moment to look to take in the devastation. The worst of it seemed to be the tent city that comprised the elven portion of the community. The humans would all be scampering about doing everything they could to help each other. He wasn't worried for them. The elves, however, from his experience so far on the surface he wagered almost no one would go to help them. Like a bolt he shot straight for the tent city of the elves. Someone had to help them.
Narrator
 GM, 55 posts
Mon 16 May 2011
at 02:24
Re: Lovely Day For A...(Thread One)
The situation in the town settles into a rhythm of help the injured and infirm and save the town from fire.

Meanwhile...
@Grogg
Grogg continues to loot uninterrupted.

@Combatants
By the time, the "heroes" join the fray, the shades have engaged with the templars, guards, and the sheriff. The shades have spread out to attack them. The creatures do not fight in a line or with much in terms of strategy, they hunger for the lives that are around them and seek to feed off of that life.

From Gaultier's left would be one of the guardsmen (Dean Biggs). And by the looks of him, he needs the help that Gault can provide. The swing of Gaultier's sword slices through the shade (now known as Shade 1). The jolt from the shade makes Gault feel like he did some damage to the beast.

Sheriff Eugenia moves next. She favors a sword and shield combo, which she uses to great effect against one of the shades (Shade 2). With a hard strike, she plunges her sword through the shade and yanks hard upward. It explodes into ash and soot. Shade 2 falls.

The shades attack their targets next. The first (Shade 3) misses its templar target entirely. Shade 4 nails a minor hit on Templar 2 and pushes him back two yards. Biggs finds himself hit hard, but it gets worse. The rest of the combatants take damage as the shade puffs itself up (1 point to everyone). A few townies scream in pain as well indicating that they have suffered from the same aura that has hit the fighters. Guardsmen 2 (Sam Wedge) faces his aggressor (Shade 4) next and finds himself in similar straights. This one too puffs himself and inflicts damage on everyone in the area. Shade 4 seems to be better at this aura of pain as the damage radiates outward (6).

Buliwyf joins Gaultier helping out Biggs. His two-handed axe bites deep into the shade and hits the dirt. The shade bounces back. He's hurt badly, but still up.

Biggs and Wedge move next using their longswords to fight off their respective shades. Biggs, his shade softened up by Gault and Bul, has no problems finishing his off. Shade 1 goes down in an explosion of soot and ash. Wedge proves himself as well landing an impressive strike against Shade 4.

Ash moves next. Whatever he does is not visible to the other attackers. [Private to Ash: TN 12 - 11 rolled...]

Shrike does not find much in the way of concealment, at first. However scanning the area reveals some crates that will provide cover and be within range of the shades. She will be able to attack next round. [Private to Shrike: (Actions: Minor: Move to cover; Minor: Prepare)]

Going last, the templars attack Shades 2 and 3, but both mage-hunters miss!

The few humans and elves left in the area flee rapidly and can be considered safe from further attacks by the shades.

[Private to Alain; Ash: Those with more esoteric study of spirits and demons notice that is is unusual for the shades to attack en masse in a town, their abilities seem to be lacking, and the soot-ash thing is just wrong. They should be ethereal. Perhaps they are being directed, controlled, and created by someone unused to such creatures. ]

@Valten
Valten heads toward the elves, and toward the screaming. By the time he arrives battle has begun between the guardsmen and several folk he is familiar with. They defend the humans and elves caught in the crossfire of a shade attack. The shades seem to have come from a large hole in the ground - something he can surmise from his view of a sixth coming to join the others. The elves that survived the initial attack have retreated into the stockade.

If Valten wishes to join the battle in the next round. Roll Init and put your combat stats in orange with your action.

@Alain
Alain spotting his friend running for the stockade follows behind. His speed is not as quick as that of his friend, and he arrives after the battle has begun. He sees several shades attack the guard and others inclined to help. He will be eligible to join in during round 2.

If Alain wishes to join the battle in the next round. Roll Init and put your combat stats in orange with your action.

@Darrahn
Darrahn reacts to the screams and seeks to add his magic to the others might. He reaches the battle area at the end of the round and will be able to act in the next one.





Gaultier
HP: 27/34
Init: 18
Defense: 14
AR: 5
[Private to Gaultier DeLauncet: Attack: 3d6+3/2d6+4]
Favored Stunts: Threaten and Defensive Stance plus Awareness, although situational and another may be a better option at the time.

Valten
HP 37/37
Init 16
Defense 13
AR 4
Attack: 3d6+3/3d6+3, pierce armor and mighty blow stunts

Sheriff Eugenia
Init: 16
[Private to GM: HP: 42
Defense: 14
AR: 7
Attacks: +7/2d6+6
]

Shades x 4 (1 coming into battle next round)
Init: 16 [Private to GM:
HP: 15 | 30 | 30 | 30
Defense: 15
AR: 0
Attacks: +5/d6+4
]

Buliwyf
HP 29/36
Init 14
Def 12
AR 5
[Private to Buliwyf Ar Grainne Falconhold : Attack:  3D6 + 4/ Damage 3D6 +4]
Attack:  13 / Damage 18

Alain
HP: 35/35
Init: 13
Defense: 11
AR: 5
Attack: 3d6+3/ 3d6+3

Guardsmen x2
Init: 13
[Private to GM: HP: 11 | 12
Def: 12
AR 3
Attack: +3  2d6+2
]

Ash
Init: 12
[Private to Ash:
Ash
HP: 20/27
Mana: 12/16
Init: 3D6+2
Defense: 12
Spellpower: 12
AR: 0
Spell casting
Attack: 3d6+2/-1 Defense -2 tests (or just defense penalty if success Magic (Entropy) vs Spellpower)
Favored Stunts:
Skillful casting
Puissant casting (extra SP goes to this stunt)
]

Shrike
HP: 24/31
Init: 11
Defense: 14
AR: 4
[Private to Shrike: Attack: 3d6+4/Xd6+5]
Favored Stunts:

Templars
Init: 9
[Private to GM: HP:36 | 36
Defense: 12
AR: 7
Attack: 3d6+7/2d6+5
]

[Private to GM: Darrahn
HP: 22/22
Init: 3d6+2
Defense: 12
AR: 0
Private to Shrike: Attack: 3d6+2 (staff); dmg = 1d6+1
]
Favored Stunts: Skirmish and Defensive Stance, Magic: Skillful Casting and Mana Shield.]



Update will be tomorrow evening, or once actions are posted by all participants. ~ Edited to add in new combatants, nothing changed. Nice easy copy and paste when the time comes...

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:18, Mon 16 May 2011.