Recruitment: To Obtain.   Posted by Narrator.Group: archive 2
Alain
 player, 36 posts
 Orlesian Exile
 Warrior
Tue 23 Aug 2011
at 16:59
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
"Now what? Do we look for an alchemist who might know of such things? I doubt that there is a man skilled in the art of matter in these parts of Ferelden."

Alain said, not trying to be mean, but with a shrug of his shoulders.
Maybe they should check on the hole... it had been a good few hours atleast that they've been away.

But still... The house and the water seemed very strange... That tickled the scientific mind of his.
Katerina von Anselm
 player, 38 posts
 Member of the Chantry
 Strong-willed Anderfel
Tue 23 Aug 2011
at 21:42
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
Katerina looked at the waterskin dangling at her side, making sure that nothing would spill out as she walked. If it lingered, the results could be potentially disastrous, but then again it didn't spread from the small circle in the river either despite the running water.

- "I'm taking it to the Chantry, maybe the Templar can make sense of it. And if they can't, they're pretty much the only ones in town with enough money to hire someone that can. Come on, let's get back to the others, we have a tunnel to close."

It was a shame she couldn't find the hunter, but she supposed it couldn't be helped. On her way back she'd head past the Chantry to give a full and detailed account of everything she had discovered in and around the mill, and hand over the money they had gathered as well as the waterskin -- AFTER she had finished saying how dangerous the contents were -- before getting a new one with fresh water. After that, she would continue on to see the others, if nothing unexpe3cted would happen along the way, and Alain did not have any objections to her plan either.
Narrator
 GM, 163 posts
Wed 24 Aug 2011
at 00:31
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
OOC: I'll give Alain a day to object...before advancing.


Katerina returns the the Chantry conveys her message, impresses the dangerous nature of her package, drops off the money, and obtains a new skin.
Narrator
 GM, 165 posts
Thu 25 Aug 2011
at 17:48
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
OOC: I have awarded experience for your work thus far. [Private to Katerina von Anselm: And you, young acolyte, clearly earned more. :) ]

Alain and Katerina return the tunnel opening and find those who volunteered to enter it no where to be seen. Instead, they find one of the city guards casually watching over the area. He seems relaxed and off-guard. As Katerina and Alain approach, he straightens up to look official. He raises a hand in greeting. And before they can ask, he answers, "A group went in about an hour ago. There was a loud crack and then a whoosh of dust came out. Nothing been heard from since and no one has emerged. I sent the lad to tell the sheriff. She's heading to the Bann for help and soldiers."
Alain
 player, 37 posts
 Orlesian Exile
 Warrior
Mon 29 Aug 2011
at 15:34
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
"Hmmh.. What might have happened for them to go in already? Alain asks the guard.

After the guard answers Alain looks at Katerina and weights their options:
"So, do we go after them or wait for reinforcements?"
Katerina von Anselm
 player, 39 posts
 Member of the Chantry
 Strong-willed Anderfel
Mon 29 Aug 2011
at 17:54
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
Katerina considered her options, biting her nails as her thoughts dwindled down to the only option that would be left to them. It would have been a lie to say that she would be happy with the decision, but anything else would just add them to the list of the missing.

- "...We have to wait for reinforcements. Whatever happened to them we will walk into as well without a tracker to lead us."
Narrator
 GM, 173 posts
Tue 30 Aug 2011
at 14:00
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
Katerina von Anselm:
Katerina considered her options, biting her nails as her thoughts dwindled down to the only option that would be left to them. It would have been a lie to say that she would be happy with the decision, but anything else would just add them to the list of the missing.


And yet it still nags at her to go in anyway. Reinforcements were two days away at best by her knowledge of the region. And they may have gone in blind with no extra supplies or precautionary measures like healing salves and such. And what if the bann didn't agree to send more soldiers to secure the tunnel? What if she just ordered it caved in?

Alain:
"Hmmh.. What might have happened for them to go in already? Alain asks the guard.


"I don't rightly know, sirrah. There was noise like steel on stone and more shades, but then the noise stopped. Then, there was a sound like wood breaking and then the dust. They didn't come back out after that."
Katerina von Anselm
 player, 40 posts
 Member of the Chantry
 Strong-willed Anderfel
Wed 31 Aug 2011
at 20:47
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
Katerina listened to the answer the guard gave Alain, causing her to very spontaneously rethink her earlier decision. If the fighting stopped -before- the sound of breaking wood was heard, there was a chance it was still relatively safe to go in because the fight had already been over. Going by the sound though...

- "I think part of the tunnel came down and blocked their way out. On second thought, we should go in and see if anyone got trapped under the rubble... Guard, can you hold this entrance if more shades emerge while we are away?"

She still wouldn't go in very far though, if the tunnels themselves were unstable they would be unsafe to travel far. On the other hand, and perhaps more worrisome, she knew there were no trees underground, which meant the sound of breaking wood had to have come from breaking support beams. And support beams hinted at a form of intelligence, perhaps even someone having planned all of this. She would have to take a closer look to confirm her suspicions too.
Narrator
 GM, 176 posts
Fri 2 Sep 2011
at 18:07
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
The guard nods, "Been holding for almost half a watch now." Perhaps his flippancy indicates a certain amount of laxity among the guard?

The tunnel is small - roughly five feet high and three feet wide. Despite the size it is well made with each stone finely crafted. The dwarf (Valten) had spoken true - dwarves had built the tunnel. However, the carvings in the wall weren't like anything Katerina had seen before. She knew they were human and could easily doubt they were dwarven at all leaving it logical to assume they are elven. The ceiling curves slightly to make it higher in the center - say to an elevation of five and half feet, but occasionally old roots from trees long cut down have punched through making it an inconsistent five and half. The tunnel continuously slopes downward and the moss growing on the walls illuminates the passage dimly. It doesn't look like it had been disturbed for ages until the shades came forth, and later the others had walked through. Their footprints can easily be made out on the floor. The earthquake also doesn't to have appeared to do much in the way of structural damage to the tunnel, which makes the dust and wood breaking even more curious.

Despite the blast that drove dust from the tunnel, Katerina follows the path easily. Ahead is an opening for a room. Perhaps farther in that way is the destination she seeks?

Continuing?
Katerina von Anselm
 player, 41 posts
 Member of the Chantry
 Strong-willed Anderfel
Sat 3 Sep 2011
at 00:34
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
Though there was no sign of trouble, Katerina wanted to be prepared for when there was. Though she did not draw her weapon as it would only prove moving around too difficult, she did try to make as little sound as possible. The two of them had no tracker after all, or someone knowledgeable of the creatures from below ground that would thrive in these corridors, let alone the shades that had emerged earlier.

Looking behind her to reassure herself that Alain was still with her -- and had no objections -- she continued on heading toward the small opening, eyes scanning for any sign of movement and ears open for any sound that was not their own.
Narrator
 GM, 178 posts
Tue 6 Sep 2011
at 21:33
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
Katerina doesn't see anything unusual as she nears the opening, but she hears the distinctive sound of water. As she gets closer to it, she feels a gentle spray of water, normal "untainted by anything unusual" water. She gets to the door and sees the source of it all. The floor has given way in the room and opened into an underground river about 10 feet below where the floor once was. If the others came this way, and they did based on the evidence, they got swept up by the river, or made it out of the corridor on the other side. She can't tell for sure, but she doesn't see any of the tell-tale signs of activity down that way.
Alain
 player, 38 posts
 Orlesian Exile
 Warrior
Wed 7 Sep 2011
at 12:05
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
Alain follows Katerina carefully down the stone corridor and into the opening. He gasps as he sees the hole where the floor used to be.

He tries to determine how fast is the river running and how deep it is. Is it possible to try to swim against the current in case they have no other option but to drop down and see whats there.

It would also be a good idea to leave a long rope hanging from a wall or a big stone in the corridor.

"I really... What... I mean this is kind of unexpected."
Narrator
 GM, 180 posts
Thu 8 Sep 2011
at 18:31
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
The river is a ten foot drop from their vantage point. It seems to be moving a fair, but not racing pace. Barring any other unseen circumstances, it appears that it would be easy to swim upstream. Unfortunately, the bottom of the river is too dark to see. His best estimate would place it at more than 2 feet deep. However, to get down there to find out for sure, Alain is on the right track. He will need a rope, or risk not being able to get back up.
Katerina von Anselm
 player, 42 posts
 Member of the Chantry
 Strong-willed Anderfel
Fri 9 Sep 2011
at 16:54
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
Katerina looked at the now underground river in front of her. It wasn't the depth that was the tricky part, but dust and dirt would have turned to mud by now due to the running water, and such a slippery slope would make climbing up next to impossible. Furthermore, there was a small theory she needed to test first, or they wouldn't be going anywhere with or without a rope.

She approached where the water ran in, careful not to get too close lest the hole in the ceiling widen and sweep her off her feet. She briefly and carefully touched the water, keeping a close eye open to check whether the stagnant blackness that she had seen above would have spread to here as well. If so, then they would need to get this plugged before the tunnel system would make the infection spread.

On the other hand, if so such signs appeared, and the water smelled like normal river water was supposed to smell like as well, then there would be no problem with going back for a rope and venturing deeper inside, looking for the group that would have ended up having their exit cut off by the raging waters.
Narrator
 GM, 182 posts
Mon 12 Sep 2011
at 13:45
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
At such a distance, Katerina cannot hope to touch the water flowing in the river. What she can reach is the spray. And it feels, looks, and smells like natural water. Either the river by the Miller's is not the same as this one, or the illness plaguing the other region has not progressed this far.
Katerina von Anselm
 player, 43 posts
 Member of the Chantry
 Strong-willed Anderfel
Wed 14 Sep 2011
at 15:39
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
Satisfied that the water was not tainted like the river had been, Katerina deemed the water safe to wade into. Of course, she'd still need a rope or long chain to keep from being swept away, but it was at least safe to continue exploring without ending up being exposed to that black water again.

- "Well, here's to hoping that whatever Shrieks were busy digging their way up got this water in their faces... Anyway, we're going to need a rope, preferably strong one. Maybe some of the merchants on their way to Gwaren have some of that thick one they use for mooring lines?"
Alain
 player, 41 posts
 Orlesian Exile
 Warrior
Fri 16 Sep 2011
at 02:16
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
"We can check at least," Alain offers. He retreats down the tunnel with Katerina at a fair pace. No reason to delay in case something changes. Before long they have made it to the merchant district and find a caravan. While, it does not have a mooring line, it does have a thick chain that will work instead. It measures about 50 feet long, and the owner is willing to lend it for a small fee: 60 silver. To buy it would be more than they can afford at the time being.
Narrator
 GM, 191 posts
Wed 21 Sep 2011
at 21:30
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
Alain completes "renting" the chain and is eager to return to the hole. The earthquake occurred in the afternoon and by the time the pair are ready to return, the moon is ready to rise.

Actions?
Katerina von Anselm
 player, 45 posts
 Member of the Chantry
 Strong-willed Anderfel
Sat 24 Sep 2011
at 12:03
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
To Katerina it mattered little whether it was night or day outside, once underground lamps would be needed to light the way regardless of what time it was. As such, she suggested they would get underway as fast as possible. Given the time, she would see to purchasing a lantern that would be able to withstand the large amount of water vapor the water rushing in from the hole was throwing up, as long as she kept it out of the water itself a hooded brass lantern of the kind used on the deck of ships would do fine.

Once there, it would just be a matter of actually finding something solid enough to carry both the weight of the chain and herself to tie the chain to and see that she would still be able to leave when she wanted to. Alain or a guard would need to remain at the base of the chain to make sure nothing would go wrong there, and get help if something did. The last thing they would need was to get trapped down there as well.
Narrator
 GM, 195 posts
Tue 27 Sep 2011
at 18:31
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
Katerina is out of luck in finding a shipboard lantern. She will have to settle for a lantern and hope that she can get the flame large enough that occasional droplets of water do not extinguish it.

Alain is able to secure the chain to a solid beam above the door way. He supplements this with his own strength and wrapping the chain around a thick leather belt.
Katerina von Anselm
 player, 46 posts
 Member of the Chantry
 Strong-willed Anderfel
Tue 27 Sep 2011
at 21:59
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
Katerina sighed as she tossed the end of the chain into the water, and watched it get dragged further down. It would be hard enough to keep her hold on the chain without having to keep the lantern out of the water, so she decided to simply put both it and the flask of oil in her pack, wrapped in some cloth that would hopefully absorb the water that reached it. And if not... she'd have to find a way to dry it, though it being an oil burner some flint and steel would do just as well.

After checking her pack was firmly attached, and the chain securely fastened, she took hold of the chain with both hands and slowly backed up into the water, making sure to test every step and only lean her weight onto it when she was certain she would not fall. Ironically, the water helped with that, washing the dirt and sand that had gathered over the years of disuse off the rock floor. As long as she gets her hold on the chain, her main concern would be not stepping onto a loose rock.
Narrator
 GM, 196 posts
Wed 28 Sep 2011
at 13:10
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
Katerina gets down into the water finding the bottom a mixture of mud and sand. Her feet squashed through the mud, but her strength carried her easily. She walked along slowly making sure not to catch herself on any debris. But is as wont to happen even the best laid plans and all... The ground begins to shake and soon she is fighting more water, slick terrain, and a wobbly chain. Katerina find herself in need of checking her grip.

Please roll a Strength (Might) check.
Katerina von Anselm
 player, 47 posts
 Member of the Chantry
 Strong-willed Anderfel
Fri 30 Sep 2011
at 11:13
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
OOC: 12:59, Today: Katerina von Anselm rolled 8 using 3d6+2 with rolls of 1,1,4. Strength (Might) vs. water.
Narrator
 GM, 201 posts
Fri 30 Sep 2011
at 16:42
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
OOC: Well that didn't go as planned.


Katerina looses her footing and finds that her hold on the chain is not strong enough as she is swept down the tunnel. Handholds are elusive, and just when she thinks she may be able to grab one and walk against the current back to her chain, the bottom drops out of the "river" and she tumbles over a 20 foot drop into faster water.


Be back to you shortly. Need to advance the other group, and waiting on a response from them.
Narrator
 GM, 205 posts
Wed 5 Oct 2011
at 14:22
Re: Recruitment: To Obtain
(That took longer than expected. :) )


Katerina lands on her back and continues to shoot through the tunnels. After a few minutes, she sees light ahead, and before she knows it she is dumped unceremoniously down another hole. She lands on a hard stone floor. The water drains through vents on the floor. She is alive and well. And with people again as two of the adventurers from earlier peer into a door ahead of her. They appear none the worse for wear considering they must have enjoyed a similar journey.

Please join Elven Ruin (Group 3) thread.