The Elven Ruin.   Posted by Narrator.Group: archive E
Shrike
 player, 57 posts
Mon 26 Sep 2011
at 13:24
Re: The Elven Ruin
Shrike inclines her head to Grogg in a show of gratitude. She hadn't really expected such politeness.

"Thanks," she says, stepping forward to take the sword before he could change his mind, and hoping that whatever Ash had done had defused the magic on this place.
Ash
 player, 69 posts
 Lost elf
 Apostate by trade
Mon 26 Sep 2011
at 18:35
Re: The Elven Ruin
Ash make a sigh of relief when Shrike take the blade and nothing bad happened to her. He knew how dangerous it was to skim through scrolls and books and then jump to action. One misunderstanding one wrong weaving and things would have been a lot worse... but it did not happened so he felt pride he was able to understand and complete the ritual. It did raise the issue how long did the circle lay there dormant and waiting. Returning his attention to the notes the elf mage try to discern how old is this circle.
Narrator
 GM, 194 posts
Tue 27 Sep 2011
at 17:38
Re: The Elven Ruin
Sadly dates are lacking; as are other indications in the forms of clues to known history. Based on this, Ash can surmise this circle has been here since the Fall of Arlathan. Amongst the mages notes, he finds instructions on creating the circle; although some pages appear to be missing, and the instructions on a few spells unfamiliar to Ash. [Private to Ash: The spells on these are the ones your character will pick up at later levels. You will pick them. ] Underneath all of the papers is another symbol of, presumably, Fen'Harel biting at a volcano.

For the others, with the exception of the short sword, there isn't anything of interest.
Ash
 player, 70 posts
 Lost elf
 Apostate by trade
Tue 27 Sep 2011
at 20:58
Re: The Elven Ruin
Ash never let something like a few missing pages to stop him from experimenting with magical spells. He quickly loot the room for all its documents stuffing them into a backpack and then nods to the others, "Most intriguing, I will try to decipher more of these once we are out of here. Now lets make haste and search the other rooms."
Buliwyf Ar Grainne Falconhold
 player, 54 posts
Tue 27 Sep 2011
at 23:41
Re: The Elven Ruin
Buliwfy gave a quick nod to Ash.  "Agreed.  Let's see if we can find our way out."

Leaving the magic room behind, Buliwyf takes the lead continuing through the underground maze.

"Shamans lived here," Buliwyf says as they walk.  "If anyone has knowledge or means of detecting magical traps, we may be in need of it."

He keeps a wary eye out as they proceed.
Narrator
 GM, 197 posts
Wed 28 Sep 2011
at 13:30
Re: The Elven Ruin
Did you want to check the other rooms in this area? There is one more on this side of the hallway and two across. They aren't perfectly across. So you can't look from one into another.
Grogg Noggin
 player, 57 posts
Wed 28 Sep 2011
at 13:50
Re: The Elven Ruin
Aye, we'll be checking. Grogg can start by looking for traps. Lets take the other one on this side first.
Shrike
 player, 58 posts
Thu 29 Sep 2011
at 07:32
Re: The Elven Ruin
Shrike joins Grogg to assist in the searching for traps.
Narrator
 GM, 198 posts
Thu 29 Sep 2011
at 11:08
Re: The Elven Ruin
SUCCESS! For maybe the first time, both rogues can appreciate the nicety of having another of their skill set around. If Buliwyf or Ash had set foot in the room first, catastrophe would have struck. As luck sent the rogues first, things are much better. The room features several locked chests at the end of the room and no furniture. In between the door and the chest, the innocent looking floor is really a series of pressure plates. Both rogues have seen this type before, and while they can't be sure exactly which type of projectile would shoot if activated they know it will take a soft hand to disarm them.

Here's is what they do know. The work will be slow. They count 16 of these things - there could be more. They also know that hidden in the walls will be the projectile point: most likely arrows, spears, or flame. They can't be sure which as the walls are carefully concealed and journeying to examine this may unleash a hidden mine. They know they have to gently maneuver the trap so they can reach the disarming switch at the bottom. Also troubling is the large switch at the back left of the room. This could indicate another trap that needs to be disarmed to reach the chests. Both rogues are pretty confident they can disarm the traps.

Mechanically, it calls for Dexterity (Trap) rolls. One for each trap with a target number of 12.

How do you wish to proceed?
Grogg Noggin
 player, 58 posts
Thu 29 Sep 2011
at 16:42
Re: The Elven Ruin
carefully.

Would it help if we cooperated on one trap at a time? Or is there only room for one of us?
Ash
 player, 71 posts
 Lost elf
 Apostate by trade
Thu 29 Sep 2011
at 17:25
Re: The Elven Ruin
From the expression on both Grogg and Shrike faces Ash was happy to let the two handle the room "Couldn't we roll something to trigger the traps and then get to the chests?" he asks knowing he knew little to nothing about traps and figuring if he said something stupid they'll correct him.

OOC: Wouldn't it be better to treat this as an advance test instead of rolling a dozen times to disarm traps?
Narrator
 GM, 199 posts
Thu 29 Sep 2011
at 23:40
Re: The Elven Ruin
In response to Ash's suggestion. It's an option. Instead of making one roll for each trap. You two could work together. In which case, one of your would be primary and the other secondary. The primary would use their stat to roll +2 from the secondary. We could do an advanced test where you roll a number of times. Each roll must be 12 or higher, but the dragon die would determine how many times you had to roll. Each roll the dragon die would be added together until you got a total of 21. After a total of 21 on all of your Dragon Die, the pressure plate traps would be disarmed. Still a failure on a roll would set off a trap.


Shrike
 player, 59 posts
Fri 30 Sep 2011
at 11:02
Re: The Elven Ruin
"Won't help us if one of these traps releases a poison gas," Shrike says in reply to Ash.

[OOC: Dice are not my thing so I'm happy to run withoutever Grogg thinks is best.]
Grogg Noggin
 player, 59 posts
Fri 30 Sep 2011
at 15:28
Re: The Elven Ruin
That is better than 16 individual rolls.

"Best we team up on this." Grogg nods to Shrike. "Start on the right and we work our way around..."
Narrator
 GM, 200 posts
Fri 30 Sep 2011
at 16:40
Re: The Elven Ruin
Which of the rogues is taking the lead on this one?

FYI, I can handle the rolls either way. :)

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:42, Fri 30 Sept 2011.

Grogg Noggin
 player, 60 posts
Fri 30 Sep 2011
at 16:47
Re: The Elven Ruin
Grogg will :) for no good reason, but that i saw it first
Shrike
 player, 60 posts
Sat 1 Oct 2011
at 00:33
Re: The Elven Ruin
[OOC: Agreed. :) ]

"Go ahead," Shrike says to Grogg. "Just let me know what it is you need me to do."
Narrator
 GM, 202 posts
Mon 3 Oct 2011
at 14:36
Re: The Elven Ruin
Ash and Buliwyf hang back while Grogg and Shrike work the traps. The pair accidentally sets off the first trap allowing them to see for the first time what awaits failure. Luckily the other two were hanging back on this count. A hail of arrows shot from the walls for several seconds. Grogg and Shrike crouched low were able to quickly drop down to their stomachs and avoid them. Moving more carefully they work their way around the room and encounter only two more failed attempts. Each failure resulted in the same position for the pair.

3d6 +2 → [2,1,5] = (10)
3d6 +2 → [5,1,6] = (14)
3d6 +2 → [5,6,6] = (19)
3d6 +2 → [5,4,1] = (12)
3d6 +2 → [5,1,1] = (9)
3d6 +2 → [1,5,3] = (11)

3d6 +2 → [2,2,6] = (12)
3d6 +2 → [6,5,5] = (18)

With the pressure plate traps fully disabled the pair is left with a last question: do they pull the lever in the corner, or not?

Meanwhile, the ground rumbles lightly and from down the hall water begins to stream lightly though the ceiling.
Grogg Noggin
 player, 61 posts
Mon 3 Oct 2011
at 14:45
Re: The Elven Ruin
"Well, with the lever in this position, things look unstable. So we pull it." Grogg decides and does so before second thoughts can creep in to paralyze him.
Narrator
 GM, 203 posts
Tue 4 Oct 2011
at 12:49
Re: The Elven Ruin
Grogg pulls the lever and suddenly a floor trap springs to life. For a moment saw like circular blades come up from the ground in front of the chests and sped rapidly across the floor. At the end of the track, they pause and remain frozen as pulling the lever disarmed the trap. Shrike and Grogg were lucky to have pulled the lever first or they would have been cut to ribbons. The chests are clear for lockpicking and plunder.


Meanwhile, the water opens a hole in the roof and water flows into the passage. The water flows out of vents in the floor and does not flood the area. Still, the others would be careful to avoid anything falling from the hole.
Buliwyf Ar Grainne Falconhold
 player, 55 posts
Wed 5 Oct 2011
at 01:14
Re: The Elven Ruin
"Devils!" Buliwyf exclaims with a little fear as the water had splashed on his back.  His attention had been completely focused on Shrike and Grogg and their steady work at disarming the traps.

The water startled him back into paying attention to his surroundings.

"I guess down here we shouldn't enjoy being dry for long," he grumbles as he moves away from the new downspout.

"You've done all the work, you get the first look at the loot," Buliwyf calls from the hallway.  "Anything good?"
Grogg Noggin
 player, 62 posts
Wed 5 Oct 2011
at 11:24
Re: The Elven Ruin
Grogg rubs his hands together in anticipation, then offers a feral grin back as he starts in on the chests. "Pure profit for us all... the best kind of payday. Now let's see what we have here..."
Narrator
 GM, 207 posts
Thu 6 Oct 2011
at 14:13
Re: The Elven Ruin
Shrike observes that Grogg is pretty good at picking locks - better than she, and her people are constantly called thieves - perhaps the stereotype should be revisited. In a matter of minutes, fumbling only once, Grogg springs the locks. No further traps prevent the pair from plundering the riches inside.

Chest one: Two diamonds, three green stones, a letter, and another amulet of Fen'Harel biting a volcano

Chest two: A sealed box, some rope, and a pair of daggers

Chest three: An emerald letter opener, a music box, a figure of June (master of crafts) from the Elven Pantheon, and 57 copper

Chest four: A map of the region, some documents, a hat, a dragonbone dagger, and 3 silver
Grogg Noggin
 player, 63 posts
Thu 6 Oct 2011
at 19:27
Re: The Elven Ruin
"Well, I say we sell the pretties and split the coin we get." Grogg starts. "Ash, can you check the items for any aura?" Then, he sets to examining the box, unsealing it if it seems safe to do so, though he will move away from the others in case there is a gas or powder sealed within.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:11, Fri 07 Oct 2011.

Shrike
 player, 61 posts
Thu 6 Oct 2011
at 22:09
Re: The Elven Ruin
Shrike watches, impressed. And this collection of wealth is more money than she has ever seen in one place.