Day 2+ Survival.   Posted by zzFate.Group: 0
zzFate
 GM, 75 posts
 The unforgiving jungle
Thu 7 Oct 2010
at 20:34
Day 2+ Survival
   The next day, everyone is woken up by a scream.  Sasha is next to where the food was, "It's gone, it's gone, the foods all gone.  We're all going to starve."  This makes no sense.  Sasha seemed to know what she was doing in the jungle yesterday and should be able to survive.  The girl is loosing it.
   Ishirou rolls to his feet, sword drawn, then pitches forward into the sand.  Someone has tied his shoes together.  He gets up after yanking off his shoes, looks where the food was, then at Gelik, "Ok you little runt, tell me what you did with the food, or so help me I will remove your head from your body and use it as bait to catch a fish."  What a way to start the day.  Gelik, who is still blinking his eyes, seems slow to catch up.  "What's going on Alex."  He focuses on the threat directed his way and scrambles to his feet, "Ah, come on I might tie your shoes, but why would I do anything to the food?"
   Jask, gets up slowly, stiff from age.  He looks around, taking a head count.  "Tand and Aerys are gone.  Silverspar, when did Tand take over guarding for you?"  While his body may be stiff, his mind is sharp.  An inventory will show the following missing;
a cask of rum
16 days worth of emergency rations
bottle of fine brandy worth 50 gp
small coffer containing 350 gp of various coinage
1 bullseye lanterns
6 flasks of lantern oil
1 fishing nets
1 Belaying Pins (clubs)

   You do recall Tand and Aerys were alone in camp while Aura was investigating the surf.  The good news is, Kalid alone can provide food for the group, barely (now there are 8).
Miro - needs a camp duty?
Sasha and Ishirou are REALLY on edge...
What is the group going to do today?

Miro:
The next morning, Miro's first action is to once again summon Oro, immediately afterwards pricking his finger with a needle and using the blood to rejuvenate Oro's remaining wounds.  This done, he questions Oro on what he encountered down below.

   It takes an effort to understand him, Oro isn't as coherent as normal.  Jask/Kalid will come to the conclusion that he has suffered some poison (Int damage).  He was looking around, when out of nowhere came this group of things.  They grabbed him and started clawing and biting.  They weren't that strong or big(size small), but there were so many.  He took a bite at one, but they tasted vile.  He thinks they were doing the same thing he was.
   His description indicates a hideous sea monstrosity that combines the most ferocious features of simian and carp, its fish-like tail sprouting a grotesquely primitive humanoid torso, head, and limbs. Although little more than 2 feet long, the nasty thing gibbers wildly as it gnashes its curling fangs and swipes at prey with webbed claws.  Aura can put a name to them, Ningyos.  While stupid, they are more intelligent than animals and have a cruel and evil nature.  They were probably drawn to the bodies and then started collecting curios, "There's something about them...oh, I can't remember."




CAMP DUTIES
Miro what do you want to do.

Defender:
Ishirou

Entertainer:
Calida
Gelik Aberwhinge

Guard:
Silverspar-night

Hunter:
Kalid,

Medic:
Jask Derindi

Special
Aura Elia
Calida
 player, 45 posts
 AC10 T10 FF10; 10/10 hp
 F+0 R+0 W+2 / per +0
Fri 8 Oct 2010
at 17:02
Re: Day 2+ Survival
Calida's roused rather unpleasantly from her slumber by Sasha's screaming, and rubs her eyes as she sits up, wondering if every day on the island is going to be like this.  She listens to the conversations as she orients herself and then attempts to put out the brush fires in order of perceived importance.  "Ishirou, please stop threatening Gelik.  If he had stolen the food I doubt very much that he would still be here.  We apparently have two people that are not here any longer, so while we cannot be certain, it seems reasonable to work on the assumption that the food that is no longer here went with them, at least until we have other facts to operate on.  Sasha, we are not going to starve.  This is a tropical island, there is plenty of food about, even if it is not quite a prepackaged as many of us are used to.  You seem far more adept at jungle survival than I, and do you see me panicking?  We have ample fresh water as long as Kalid can provide and we will survive the loss of a little food just fine.  Gelik, please stop typing people's shoe laces together.  What if we had been attacked during the night and Ishirou had needed to respond quickly?  He might have been placed in danger, and right now our survival depends on each other."

Calida gets to her feet, her muscles stiff from sleeping on the ground all night, and walks over to survey the supplies for a few moments.  "Given the sudden absence of all the alcohol it seems more difficult to dismiss Aerys as the most likely culprit.  I do not suppose we have anyone skilled at reading tracks among us?  Though if they wish to be on their own, have we the right to force them to return?", she ponders aloud, looking over at the other members of the group.
Miro
 player, 59 posts
 Ac 13t=13ff=11/hp08of08
 F+01R+02W+04 / per +01
Fri 8 Oct 2010
at 17:18
Re: Day 2+ Survival
"We don't have the right to force them to return, I don't think, but we certainly have the right to recover the supplies from them.  I don't think it's at all practical to actually do so at this point, however.  If we come across them later, though, I'm going to be first in line to take back those things they took.  They've taken enough food that they probably won't be back for a while, but just in case, I'm going to hurry up on building us a new camp.  We can relocate to there by the end of the day, probably.  I found a good site yesterday, and I'm headed straight there, if anybody wants to help."

Miro heads towards the prospective site he found yesterday, taking Alton's bag with him.  Once there, he begins work on establishing a new camp.
Kalid
 player, 33 posts
 Ac 10t=10ff=10/hp9of13
 F+4R+0W+5/ per +7
Fri 8 Oct 2010
at 17:56
Re: Day 2+ Survival
Kalid will support Calida in her attempts at diplomacy while looking for tracks, "I concur with Calida, if I can be so forward my Lady, 2 are missing with survival supplies.  Tand seemed rather standoffish and Aerys was openly hostile, and stubborn.  It is reasonable to assume he decided they would be better off alone.  And with the rum as a lure, he would find it easier to convince her to go."

6 diplomacy, well no aid another from me

Looking at Calida, "Do you wish me to investigate these tracks or follow Miro and see what this site of his?  I have seen Tand in the jungle, he will be very difficult to follow."

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:02, Fri 08 Oct 2010.

zzFate
 GM, 77 posts
 The unforgiving jungle
Fri 8 Oct 2010
at 19:11
Re: Day 2+ Survival
   Calida defuses the situation, between Gelik and Ishirou.  She finds most of the group looking to her for direction.  Ishirou is a follower, used to taking orders and in his upset state, he defaults to obeying them.  Jask seems to sense that the group needs a center, and is more than willing to make Calida that center.  Though he is willing to act as an adviser on matters he knows about.    She manages to calm Sasha down enough that the high strung girl isn't outright panicking.  Sasha retreats to be near Silverspar and his strong, handsome barbarian muscles.

   Aura seems to be in her own little world, fixing Calida's clothes to be a better jungle outfit, working on stuff, etc...  She doesn't seem inclined to change camp sites, but then, she may not have even noticed Miro was gone.

   When Miro and Oro leave, Gelik will go along when it is clear Ishirou isn't.  "Us small folk have to stick together, say is this good to eat."  Most of the rest look to see what Calida wants.  Though Jask will offer, "Perhaps some distance from the surf might not be a bad idea."

   Hunger sets in almost immediately.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:22, Fri 08 Oct 2010.

Silverspar
 player, 26 posts
 ac=13,t=10,ff=13/hp11of14
 f=3,r=1,w=1/per +0
Fri 8 Oct 2010
at 19:15
Re: Day 2+ Survival
In reply to zzFate (msg #1):

With a yawn and rubbing his eyes, Silverspar will reply to zJask that "Tand relieved me at the very first light of false dawn."   He will put his hand on Sasha's shoulder and give a gentle skees this to reassure her she is not alone.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:22, Fri 08 Oct 2010.

Calida
 player, 46 posts
 AC10 T10 FF10; 10/10 hp
 F+0 R+0 W+2 / per +0
Fri 8 Oct 2010
at 20:56
Re: Day 2+ Survival
Calida's pleased that her peacemaking efforts seem to have worked, at least well enough to avoid any immediate bloodshed, though she remains concerned about the continuing animosity between Ishirou and Gelik, and a little surprised that it seems like people are now looking her way for direction.  After a quiet conversation with Jask and Kalid, she tells Kalid, "I think I agree with Miro that we do not have the right to force them to return to our camp, and while arguably we do have the right to reclaim our supplies, I would prefer to avoid violence, which might very well be the result if we force the issue.  Given that it may prove difficult to follow them anyway, I am inclined to think our resources could be better spent.  And if Miro has found a better campsite, then I think we should consider taking advantage of it.  We mostly picked this spot by default, and I cannot say I have any great attachment to it.", she notes with a touch of humor.

"Silverspar, do you feel awake enough to travel?  If so, perhaps you and Sasha could go with Gelik, Miro, Oro and Kalid to check out this site and make it ready?  That would leave me, Aura, Ishirou and Jask to keep an eye on things here.  I would prefer we stay in groups until we have a better idea what dangers there might be here.  And if those of you skilled in jungle survival think the new site is better, then we can look at moving there by the end of the day.  And if you could bring back some food while you are out, I would not say no to that either.", she added with a smile, feeling a bit hungry already.

Unless anyone had any other comments, she'd then ask Ishirou and Jask to keep watch for a bit, as Aura seemed to be rather focused on what she was doing, and then settle in to meditate for a few minutes to refocus her mind for spellcasting.
Silverspar
 player, 28 posts
 ac=13,t=10,ff=13/hp11of14
 f=3,r=1,w=1/per +0
Fri 8 Oct 2010
at 21:59
Re: Day 2+ Survival
Silverspar will grumble about not having enough sleep but will go with the others to the new site, whereupon he will fall back to sleep dreaming of a certain redhead.   It's either her or battling fierce monsters and winning spectacularly.   He really doesn't need his sleep if he is going to guard at night.   We all know how the graveyard shift is on the body.
zzFate
 GM, 79 posts
 The unforgiving jungle
Mon 11 Oct 2010
at 19:14
Re: Day 2+ Survival
  So the advanced group follows Miro, foraging on the way.  Oro is bit by a tiny snake he disturbs (it blended so well into the jungle), suffering 1 hp and 2 con dam before Kalid tends to his wound.  The snake is lost in the jungle.  From Oro's description you conclude it was probably a baby snake, with less lethal poison.
   Upon arrival, they see this site is definitely better.  So the group moves to this new site, with some grumbling from Aura over having to move her stuff.  While setting up the new site, Gelik suddenly gives a yell and jumps back.  There is another small viper, upset at being disturbed.  Miro and Oro may act before it slithers into the jungle and disappears.  Silverspar is sleeping.
   Meanwhile, Kalida, Aura, Ishirou, Sasha, Calida and Jask (in that order) are moving the supplies to the new site, when Ishirou (heavily ladened with stuff) disturbs  a 3rd viper, who lashes out, biting his leg.    What do you do?
Calida
 player, 47 posts
 AC10 T10 FF10; 10/10 hp
 F+0 R+0 W+2 / per +0
Mon 11 Oct 2010
at 20:58
Re: Day 2+ Survival
After her morning meditation, Calida remains close to the original camp, keeping an eye on things and trying to keep morale high.  Sometime during the morning, she converses for a few minutes with Aura, and the two women disappear into the nearby jungle for a few minutes.  When they return, Calida's lengthy, formal dress has been cut down into a nearly backless, sleeveless halter top and a mid-length skirt.    She looks a bit embarrassed by the brevity of the outfit, but considerably more comfortable in it, given the heat of the days.

Once the advance group returns, there seems to be little debate as to which campsite is preferable, so the decision to move is fairly easy.  Calida mostly helps Aura pack up her things and then it's off into the jungle again.  Hearing Ishirou's yell, and spotting the viper biting his leg, Calida shifts the supplies she's carrying and conjures another flaming rock, hurling it at the snake.  She tries to aim at the middle of the creature, thinking quickly that Aura or Kalid or Jask might be able to do things with the venom glands, and also that those are hopefully not in the midsection.
Kalid
 player, 35 posts
 Ac 10t=10ff=10/hp9of13
 F+4R+0W+5/ per +7
Mon 11 Oct 2010
at 21:28
Re: Day 2+ Survival
Moves to help Ishirou with his heal skill vs the poison.
rolled 11 heal