MOTHBALLED The Slaying Stone.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 GM, 39 posts
Mon 5 Aug 2013
at 05:02
The Slaying Stone
BACKGROUND
The town ofKiris Dahn, built by human hands, stood
strong against invaders for decades after the fall ofthe
empire ofNerath. It had magical stones-created by
tiefling artisans-that cOidd kHi anyone who attacked
the town. The number ofstones dwindled until all were
spent.
Eight years ago, the citizens ofKiris Dahn abandoned the town when faced with invading goblin hordes. The town had endured a long decline under the rule ofthe Kiris family, and the citizens scattered rather than follow their ruler, Kiris Alkirk. Along with his advisor and seer Treona, Alkirk found a place to live in obscurity.
The goblins overran the town and renamed it Gorizbadd. The town quickly fell into ruin, since goblins were far more interested in vandalism than in proper maintenance. A faction ofkobo Ids took over the slums, since the goblins live mostly in what were once residences for the wealthier people ofKiris Dahn.


At the beginning ofthe adventure, the characters brave
a storm as they travel through the night along an old
road surrounded by dangerous woods. Let the play·
ers decide whether their characters already know one
another or if they're just now meeting at a crossroads.
Paraphrase the following text, adjusting to fit whether
the characters are traveling together or just meeting.

Read:
A cold wind whips sleet atyou and tears atyour cloaks. Th e moon is sllrouded l1ehind a 8ray haze, and you hear wolves l1ayina in the dark woods all around. A8ainst the dusky sky, you can just make out the shadow ofa low tower. A lantern
burns in one ofits windows and be8ins to sway, beckonin8 YOll
toward the safety ofshelter.

Toothix
 Player, 1 post
Tue 6 Aug 2013
at 02:18
Re: The Slaying Stone
The wolf coif covering this hairy man's head presents a sad, soggy sight in the cold rain.  Small icicles are forming on the fangs hanging down from it with a new one forming on the underside of the ring hanging from his nose.  A pair of massive bastard swords hang from his belt, and judging from the grip he keeps on them and his ready eyes, he looks ready for an ambush any second now.

"And then I met a bunch of strangers on the road in the rain.  One of them a dragonborn in heavy armor.  Adventurers perhaps?  Or bandits.  If the latter, they'd be wise to pass this one by.  Not only was I completely penniless, but I was aching for some combat to warm my freezing veins."
Clifford
 player, 1 post
Wed 7 Aug 2013
at 03:43
Re: The Slaying Stone
  It was an odd thing.  Clifford had spent years as a lumberjack, having grown up (geographically) closer to nature than most cities, and had little trouble with natural wildlife in that time.  Yet after becoming a Cleric of Tempus, a close second to the Undead attempting to devour his flesh was wild animals.

  The redheaded longtooth turned to Toothix, and commented "I don't think our upcoming problems will care if we told them you drink the blood of your foes because it's cheaper than ale."
Dante
 Player, 2 posts
 Human
 Bard
Thu 8 Aug 2013
at 05:50
Re: The Slaying Stone
The young hooded bard pulls out his lute and plays a simple melody he had picked up from his elven friends from along the way on his many countless adventures, a simple song of rejoice of the rain. As the sheets of rain fly into this cunning adventurous bard a smile of delight forms onto his weather beaten face. He plays merrily as he skips through the puddles. A faint touch of insecurity finally reaches him , he can hear distant howls deep within the wooded area that surrounds him. He continues to play his song and looks down the path. He can faintly see shadows of other individuals but he is unsure if the are friend or foes. He begins to to play softer hand on his longsword that is sheathed to his side. He cautiously moves closer not knowing the outcome of this situation he would be ready for anything that could happen.

He lets the last notes of his song slip from the lute and puts it into his bag, grabbing his shield that his strapped to his back he arms himself prepared to hack and slash if need be.


[Enter Dante the human bard]
Sora
 Player, 1 post
 Friendly Neighborhood
 Dragonborn Battlemind
Thu 8 Aug 2013
at 19:17
Re: The Slaying Stone
Sora finds the self-narration to be odd, and is forced to listen. She would have listened anyway, but still. The dragonborn nods and says, "If you are here for the same reasons I am, chances are you will see combat soon enough, brave one."

Typical of her race, Sora has a sturdy posture and a powerful demeanor. She gives off the confidence of a dragon and seems completely unafraid of those around her, even to where she doesn't even have her blade unsheathed. SHING! ...scratch that, she unsheathes her weapon. "I have no intention of starting any fights, but I will end whatever fight tries to come my way. That said, if your veins need warming as much as mine, I will be happy to give you a friendly spar." She gives Toothix and Clifford a smile and a salute; putting her fist to her chest, the blade of her khopesh pointing downward. "Sora is my name. I am here to deal with the invaders of Kiris Dahn. Who are you all and what is your purpose?"

She hasn't noticed the bard just yet as he was intentionally being quiet when he entered the scene.
Toothix
 Player, 2 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 02:42
Re: The Slaying Stone
As the characters notice the light from the tower, a pack
ofdesperately hungry wolves stalks out of the woods to
attack them. Read:


The lantern swin8in8 in the window ahead reflecls off several
sets of eyes in the forest around you. You hear low 8rowlina as
wolves emer8efrom between the 8ray tree trunks. Most of the
wolves look half-starved, and they char8e toward you.


Toothix head-tilted at the strange music then grunts and nods in agreement with Cliff as he draws his weapons and warily eyes the approaching wolves.

"Toothix.  Perhaps another time, Sora.  For now, I will focus on doing unto these beasts worse than they do unto me."
Clifford
 player, 2 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 03:56
Re: The Slaying Stone
  "Some days I start to think that the living is worse than the undead.  But that is entirely untrue"  After all, as bad as any wildlife is, there is always inevitably an undead version of it somewhere.

  In the meantime, Clifford approaches the closest wolf through the mud intent on making it just plain dead.  His oversized axe strikes with less lethal force than it's name would imply, but still sends the wolf flopping to it's side.
Move: duh.
Standard: Fell Strike (as Charge) Vs Ravenous Wolf 2, hits (20 AC).  9 DMG, knocks prone.
Ravenous Wolf 2 HP: 25-9= 16/25

clifford HP: 23/23

Narrator
 GM, 40 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 04:00
Re: The Slaying Stone
One of the wolves crosses the river and rushes toward Sora!
Dante
 Player, 3 posts
 Human
 Bard
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 04:22
Re: The Slaying Stone
Dante notices the strangers prepare for battle and see wolves dart out of the woods to attack them. His sword and shield ready he does a little meditation preparation for the on going battle. And takes his place behind the group. He watches as this wild man shifter crushes one of the wolfs to the ground knocking prone. A smile of delight forms onto his face and he moves closer to the combat. He preps himself and pulls out his lute and plays a song of mockery stopping every so often to cuss the beasts out. The wild beasts did not take to kindly to his mockery song and it goes through one of its ears and out the other.



Move: Tramping through the mud
Standard: Vicious Mockery vs Ravenous Wolf 2, Misses 11 vs 14(Will)
Dantes HP: 33/33


[OOC] Dre cries a lil that his first roll sucked ass and was a garbage roll

This message was last edited by the player at 04:23, Fri 09 Aug 2013.

Narrator
 GM, 41 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 04:26
Re: The Slaying Stone
A gray wolf charges Toothix from the north, but the ranger dodges the attack!  Clifford's opponent stands back up and snaps back but is unable to get past the warpriest's defenses.  Then a gray wolf attacks Sora, biting into her leg!

Sora HP: 33-9=24
Toothix
 Player, 3 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 04:27
Re: The Slaying Stone
"Jaws of the wolf!" Toothix shouts as he stabs downward on his opponent with his twin blades!  The wolf evades one, but the other cuts deep!

"Not good enough!"


Toothix lifts the wolf over his head using the sword in the wolf's flank then slices it in half with his off hand weapon!  He then turns to approach the others, the rain quickly washing away the blood he just bathed in.

"Feeling warmer already!"

Gray Wolf 1 HP: 38-29=9

ACTION POINT!  Marauders rush!

Gray Wolf 1 HP: 9-14=dead!

This message was last edited by the player at 04:35, Fri 09 Aug 2013.

Narrator
 GM, 42 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 04:27
Re: The Slaying Stone
A ravenous wolf attacks Dante but the bard manages to evade the attack!
Sora
 Player, 2 posts
 Friendly Neighborhood
 Dragonborn Battlemind
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 04:43
Re: The Slaying Stone
Before anyone had time to blink, Sora was suddenly in the face of the wolves, leaving a blur behind herself. Nobody expects someone in heavy armor to move that fast! Even as the others come to her aid, Sora breathes off to the side, Superman-style! The falling rain turns to ice and the wet fur on the two wolves begins to freeze, causing one to yelp. The other one seems to have jumped aside just in time. She then turns her blade toward the one that attacked her and doesn't hit it, only to turn her head still another direction to the wolf that's attacking the bard. Her eyes glow, but nothing seems to happen just yet.


Sora HP: 24/33
Wolf attacking activates Shield Of Devotion:
 Effect: Target 4(WIS) HP. Cliff gains +2 to next attack v triggering enemy.
Minor: Dragon Breath v Wolf 1 and 2. Miss(13), Hit(25)!
 dmg: 9
Standard: Conductive Defense v Gray Wolf 2. Miss(10)
Minor: Battlemind's Demand. Marked Ravenous Wolf 3.


Sora HP: 24 + 4 = 28/33
Ravenous Wolf 2 HP: 16 - 9 =
7

Clifford
 player, 3 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 05:11
Re: The Slaying Stone
  Clifford makes history repeat itself, but with improvments for the sequel.  Instead of merely knocking the wolf to the ground, Clifford cleaves the wolf's head from it's body.  He turns to see Sora being activly chewed on and asks himself, 'what would Tempus do?'.

  Divine overkill under the pretence of more effectively protecting his allies, of course.  He brings his axe down in a glowing chop, wounding it with flash of radiance as divine favor makes everyone slightly more difficult to kill.
Standard: Fell strike, Misses by 1. Hits exactly.  Channel Divinity: Divine Favor (+1 To-hit) 15 DMG.
Action Point Standard Sun Burst Vs Ravenous Wolf 2 Gray Wolf 2, Hits (17 AC) 7 Radiant DMG.

Effects: Myself and everyone gets 5 Temp HP.  Everyone can make a save throw.

Ravenous Wolf 2 HP: 7-15= OVERKILL.
Gray Wolf 2 HP: 38-7= 31

Clifford HP: 28(23+5)/23

This message was last edited by the player at 05:25, Fri 09 Aug 2013.

Narrator
 GM, 43 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 05:11
Re: The Slaying Stone
The agile wolf steps closer and bites Sora!

Sora HP: 28+5-9=24

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:13, Fri 09 Aug 2013.

Dante
 Player, 4 posts
 Human
 Bard
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 05:36
Re: The Slaying Stone
Watching another glorious attacks from his comrades Dante is slightly annoyed that his first song of mockery did not hit his target. In a rampage he loudly plays another song from his flute watching his bardic magic flow through his flute he watches it as it crashes on a by standing wolf making this wolf think this attack was caused by ranger of the party

Dante Snickers a little

"Yee ole wolf whatever are you going to do when the ranger skins you"


Move: Stay puts
Standard: Misdirected Mark , 19 hit vs 14 Will
Hit:1d8 + 4 modifier damage, and the target is
marked by an ally within 5 squares of you until the end
of your next turn.

Deals 9 dmg to rw3 - rw3 is now marked by toothix

Dantes Hp: 33+5

This message was last edited by the player at 05:40, Fri 09 Aug 2013.

Narrator
 GM, 44 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 05:41
Re: The Slaying Stone
The gray wolf bites and worries Sora's leg then pulls her toward the bushes!

Drag Away +At-Will The wolf moves half its speed and pulls a creature it has grabbed with it. Neither the wolf nor the grabbed creature provokes opportunity attacks during this movement.
Sora HP: 24-9=15
Toothix
 Player, 4 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 05:42
Re: The Slaying Stone
"That was... im...pressive," Toothix says of the divine smash, sounding almost nervous.

He maneuvers around to attack the warpriest and attacks the so far unharmed ravenous wolf.

"Two-Fanged Strike!"

The now beheaded wolf collapses to the ground dead.

ravenous wolf 1 HP: 25-27=dead
Narrator
 GM, 45 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 05:44
Re: The Slaying Stone
The wolf snapped at Dante for the ranged attack then chomps again but winds up with only a mouth full of armor.

dante:
Deals 9 dmg to rw3 - rw3 is now marked by toothix

Wolf 3 HP: 25-9=16

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:47, Fri 09 Aug 2013.

Sora
 Player, 3 posts
 Friendly Neighborhood
 Dragonborn Battlemind
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 06:06
Re: The Slaying Stone
Sora swings her sword to the east, slicing the gray wolf and sending a wave of force that causes the wolf near Dante to go flying 25 feet back. It lands on its feet, but not before Sora yells to Dante, "Get behind me, human!"


Standard: Concussive Spike v Gray Wolf 2. Hit(18)!
 dmg: 6
 Push Ravenous Wolf 3 5 squares
Minor: Battlemind's Demand on Gray Wolf 2.
Move: Attempt escape. Fail (10)


Gray Wolf 2 HP: 31 - 6 = 25

Clifford
 player, 4 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 06:13
Re: The Slaying Stone
  Clifford has been spared the choice of protecting the more easily devoured bard (hey, chainmail is still less protective than plate), or aiding Sora.  So in thanks, Clifford takes a step back, then tromps through the mud with enough speed to just manage to dislodge the wolf's grip on the battlemind, without also taking a chunk of sora with it.

  "I don't think they will be hanging onto you so well with only half it's teeth left in it's head."
Move:duh.
Standard: Fell strike (as charge) vs Gray wolf 2, Hits exactly.  8 DMG, knocks prone.

Gray Wolf 2 HP: 25-8= 17

Dante
 Player, 5 posts
 Human
 Bard
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 06:36
Re: The Slaying Stone
Dante is getting impatient with all of this nonsense, his main concerns are getting out of the rain now. The wolves are just a more of a annoyance and he wants to banish them to their graves with his comrades help. He thinks deeply on what spell he wants to cast on his nearest foe.

A smile of delight crosses Dante's face and he begins to play his song destruction fogging the wolfs mind and sending him tripping over his heels into the shifters blade.

"Let him taste your blade shifter!"




Move: None
Standard: Encounter Power Blunder vs Gray Wolf 2 Critz 20+4 (woot)
dmg 10
Slides GW2 past cliffard allowing him to do his dmg of 14 Killing GW2

Toothix
 Player, 5 posts
Fri 9 Aug 2013
at 06:45
Re: The Slaying Stone
Toothix begins rushing toward the wolf who begins hurrying to charge at Clifford.  Slash!  The two meet half way and the wolf drops dead, the ranger's sword having slixed through it's mouth and out the back of it's head!
Sora
 Player, 4 posts
 Friendly Neighborhood
 Dragonborn Battlemind
Mon 12 Aug 2013
at 02:47
Re: The Slaying Stone
Sora stares down at the corpses, looking around to make sure there aren't more ready to attack. She then turns her attention to the others, straightening herself out. "What a fine mess of warriors." Sora comments. "But we really should get out of the rain."

Sora begins heading in the direction of the light. "Quickly. If we're lucky, we may find shelter."
Dante
 Player, 6 posts
 Human
 Bard
Tue 13 Aug 2013
at 01:32
Re: The Slaying Stone
Dante looks around at the countless slayed wolf bodies that littered the ground of the surrounding area. He chuckles at what the dragon born recently stated and pulled out his flute.

He started to play on of his favorite victory song "We will rock" shortly followed by " we are he champions" as he skipped merrily behind the dragon born.
Clifford
 player, 5 posts
Tue 13 Aug 2013
at 02:05
Re: The Slaying Stone
  Clifford gives his large axe a quick jerk, sending the last bits of wolf from it to the ground.  At least they don't stick as much as zombie bits.  "No semblance of cowardice to be seen."   Hey, the Bard contributed to the decapitation marathon, if indirectly.  It still counts.  "Getting out of this weather is merely sensible, though of course so is tending to wounds."   Of course, Clifford's religious training was more butcher than shepherd (If not as much as those crazy Avengers), so the dragonborn is merely restored to almost good as new.
OOC: Healing Word for Sora, Rolled a 5, whoo.  so Surge+5 Heal value for Sora's surge.
  If the post numbers are accurate (15 HP is last posted, though Map says 23).

  Sora HP: 15?+12+5= 32/33  -1 Surge for Sora.

This message was lightly edited by the player at 02:05, Tue 13 Aug 2013.

Toothix
 Player, 6 posts
Tue 13 Aug 2013
at 03:36
Re: The Slaying Stone
Toothix grunts his assent and heads for the tower with the light in it.

A voice calls out from the tower, shoutin8 over the pourill8
rain. It sounds like an old woman yell­i1l8,
"Get inside my tower! You'll be safe in here!"


"Hrmf.  Probably a trap.  I'll check it out."

He steps through the now open front door of the tower.
Sora
 Player, 5 posts
 Friendly Neighborhood
 Dragonborn Battlemind
Tue 13 Aug 2013
at 04:58
Re: The Slaying Stone
Sora looks lightly surprised by the shifter's healing. "Oh... thank you." she says to Clifford with a tone of minor awe as she watches her wounds literally close themselves and vanish.

She can't help bob her head a little to the music Dante plays. However, he doesn't have to play very long at all since the house is like a half-minute walk from their position, if that.

Sora doesn't bother waiting before heading for the door. "If it's a trap, I will make sure the trap doesn't have you for long." she says, unafraid.
Dante
 Player, 7 posts
 Human
 Bard
Sat 17 Aug 2013
at 00:10
Re: The Slaying Stone
Dante watches his comrades start to enter , as he keeps an eye out for further distractions keeping them away from getting into shelter of the rain.
Clifford
 player, 6 posts
Sat 17 Aug 2013
at 00:50
Re: The Slaying Stone
  Clifford considers staying outside to keep an eye on Dante, but that's boring.  "If you need help, scream.  Or just die really loudly so we know to get revenge."  That said, Clifford follows the actual combat classes inside.

OOC: Initiative for later: 14

This message was last edited by the player at 00:50, Sat 17 Aug 2013.

Toothix
 Player, 7 posts
Sat 17 Aug 2013
at 02:02
Re: The Slaying Stone
INSIDE TREONA'S TOWER
The three·story stone tower belongs to an elderly ritualist named Treona. After the characters defeat or escape the wolves, she invites them into her sitting room, where a fire roars in the hearth. A regal man in his mid·forties descends the stairs to join them, and Treona introduces him as Kiris Alkirk.

"Please make yourselves comfortable," Alkirk offers, motioning toward the fire.

Treona supplies dry towels to the wet adventurers.  Toothix eyes them suspiciously.

"Nothing in this world is free.  What are you expecting us to pay?"

Alkirk rubs his chin.

"Only that you hear me out," Treona answers...

Treona tells the characters she's been keeping an eye on them, catching news oftheir exploits. She explains that she and Alkirk need competent risk-takers to recover something for them. Alkirk is the last heir in the Kiris line, the rulers ofthe fallen town ofKiris Dahn. Eight years ago, Alkirk, Treona, and the citizens were forced to abandon Kiris Dahn. In the face ofan overwhelming goblin invasion, the populace scattered to other settlements or secluded lives. The goblins took over Kiris Dahn and live there stilL
Before the goblins came, the Kiris line had exhausted its supply ofslayina stones, powerful items that used magic to kill the town's greatest enemies. The town had eight ofthem, and all had been spent to destroy various threats. The goblins came in great numbers, and there was no stone to frighten them of(
While studying obscure historical texts, Treona found references indicating that there were originally nine slayina stones, not eight. Treona wants the adven· turers to find and retrieve the remaining stone so she can destroy it using a ritual she has devised.
Treona gives the characters a copy ofthe map shown on page 9 and explains that the goblins live primarily in the northern sections ofthe town, so it will be easier for the characters to travel through the southeast. She thinks the slayina stone likely rests within the old library, one of the temples, or the Kiris estate. All ofthese are outside the areas where most ofthe goblins live.
TREONA'S RITUAL
Treona gives the characters three identical ritual scrolls. She tells them the ritual is attuned to the slay· ina stone, and shows a ghostly image of the item ifit's nearby. It's best to use the ritual at the center ofa build· ing to search the whole area thoroughly. The ritual has a component cost of25 gp, so Treona gives the charac· ters 75 gp worth ofalchemical reagents. She refuses to give the characters the ritual to destroy the slayina stone because she wants proof ofits eradication.
DESTROY THE SLAYING STONE
The defining quest ofthis adventure encourages the char· acters to retrieve the one remaining slayina stone. Treona wants them to return it to her so it can be destroyed. At the least, they can use it to destroy an enemy and show the remnants to Treona and Kiris Alkirk.
QUEST: DESTROY THE SLAYING STONE
2nd-Level Major Quest (625 XP)
The characters complete this quest if they take the s/oyin8
stone to Treona or bring her evidence of its destruction.
COLLECT ARCANE WRITINGS
Though she and the other residents ofKiris Dahn aban· doned the town years ago, Treona regrets leaving some of the books in the library. If the characters ask whether there's anything else worth recovering, she gives them a list of five important books. It's up to you to decide where these writings rest. The former library and Kiris mansion are the most likely locations.
QUEST: COLLECT ARCANE WRITINGS
1 st-Level Minor Quest (1 00 XP)
The character completes this quest if he or she searches
for and returns the books Treona wants.
Sora
 Player, 6 posts
 Friendly Neighborhood
 Dragonborn Battlemind
Sat 17 Aug 2013
at 04:08
Re: The Slaying Stone
Sora furrows her brows. "...what in the nine hells would cause major enemies to attack Kiris Dahn over and over to the point of exhausting eight slaying stones? Was this town sitting on the hand of Midas? Or the fountain of youth?"
Dante
 Player, 8 posts
 Human
 Bard
Sun 18 Aug 2013
at 00:43
Re: The Slaying Stone
Dante quietly follows the rest and and stands in the back of the room to listen. He is unsure about of this but it all seems like a mighty grand adventure. A tale to sing and tell about in his future performances.

After hearing Treona out he gives her a questioning glance and speaks up from behind the rest of the party.

"So that's a nice story and all but .... what's in for us?. I hardly know any of you all why should I risk myself on this venture. Hmmmm?"
Clifford
 player, 7 posts
Tue 20 Aug 2013
at 01:26
Re: The Slaying Stone
  If not for the fact that they actually suggested using it as an option, Clifford would have been suspicious of the last standing heir of Kiris asking for a renowned killing tool to 'safely dispose of'.

  He looks to Dante and says "While more of a local legend than a worldwide one, some bards would fine the likely fame of locating such an artifact reason enough.  But then, even the devout must keep in mind the cost of feeding oneself on the road.  There is of course, the often unspoken of means of payment in such matters."  Loot the looting mc loot loots.

  He shrugs, giving a clearly exaggerated lamentation "Oh woe, that a faithful servant of tempus is not a trustworthy companion upon these dangerous roads.  What a tragic world it is we live in."
Toothix
 Player, 8 posts
Tue 20 Aug 2013
at 07:01
Re: The Slaying Stone
The two look a little disappointed.

"Would 500 gold convince you?"

"500 for each of us?"


"Erm... total.  500 for the team."

"So 100."

"Yes.  100 for each.  Unless one of you decides to part ways with the others.  We will still pay 500 to a group of four."

"Better to promise 100 each."

"Why?"

"Less chance of us killing each other to improve our cut."

"...oh."
Sora
 Player, 7 posts
 Friendly Neighborhood
 Dragonborn Battlemind
Tue 20 Aug 2013
at 18:42
Re: The Slaying Stone
Sora asks, "So what about my question? I'd like to know what I'm walking into. If this land is cursed, for instance, to have so many constantly attack it."

She doesn't comment on the gold reward. It's pretty standard for people to offer money for a job, much less a job where you risk your life. She is unsure why the two look disappointed. Where they expecting some kind of heroes prophesied of old? "We'll do this because it's our duty as HEROES!" or maybe some ghosts? "We do this because this is our home... and we want it back."

However, this does seem to be a matter of honor. Sora starts thinking deeply on what all this quest will entail.