Mothballed thread.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 GM, 22 posts
Mon 3 Oct 2011
at 03:21
The Slaying Stone
Under construction.  I'm starting this thread for just Tim and David in hopes I can get my D&D fix on a daily basis.
Narrator
 GM, 24 posts
Thu 6 Oct 2011
at 16:48
Re: The Slaying Stone
"I plan to plunder those murderous bastards," was what Gale told you when she invited you along on this adventure, "Poetic justice for what they did to the people of Kiris Dahn.  Every coin, and every drop of blood they lose will be payback for those poor folks' ruined lives.  What you do with your share is up to you, of course, but there's a lot of homeless children I plan to feed with my share."

Of course, no good deed goes unpunished.  It's been a long and grueling journey.  As if that weren't enough, the weather has turned sour.

A cold wind whips sleet at you and tears at your cloaks.  The moon is shrouded behind a gray haze, and you hear wolves baying in the dark woods all around.  Against the dusky sky, you can just make out the shadow of a low tower.  A  lantern burns in one of its windows and begins to sway, beckoning you toward the safety of shelter.

The lantern swinging in the window ahead reflects off several sets of eyes in  the forest around you.  You hear low growling as wolves emerge from between the gray tree trunks.  Most of the wolves look half-starved, and they charge toward you.

"And just as we're about to make it to shelter,"
Gale sighs, "If these wolves turn out to be more than we can handle, we should make a break for the tower."
Gray Wolves
Thu 6 Oct 2011
at 19:16
Re: The Slaying Stone
The wolf to the south picks out Liberty as the smallest target and charges at her, tearing at her arm with it's teeth!  The wolf to the north sees an opportunity to take down Gale and flanks with the other, but Gale sees it coming and puts her staff in the way!

wolf1 v gale
1d20 +8
8 + 8 = 16 miss!

wolf2 v lib
1d20 +8
19 + 8 = 27

damage
1d6 +5
5 + 5 = 10

Liberty HP: 22-10=12


Until Shakkra posts initiative, it will be assumed that it is 0.  Which makes it Bridget and Gale's turns.
https://docs.google.com/spread...UWZDZmc&hl=en_US

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:39, Sat 08 Oct 2011.

Brickelle
 player, 1 post
Sat 8 Oct 2011
at 16:54
Re: The Slaying Stone
The promise of a reward was simply an added bonus for taking this job, more than likely going to donate most of her share of this money to similar purposes to Gale.  Murderers.  I cannot abide them.  They'll never know what hit them because they won't even see it coming.  She said, noticing the shelter in the distance.

As the wolves begin to emerge from the woods, she gets the large bow from off of her back and reaches into her quiver on her hip, pulling out not one but a pair of arrows, taking shots at two of the wolves while they were in mid stride, hoping that arrows would serve as a strong enough deterrent, which they didn't.

Attack: Twin Strike

Versus G. Wolf 1: Roll of 18.  Enough said.
Versus G. Wolf 2: Roll of 4+8=12.  Miss

Damage: 1d12: Roll of 8.  +2 quarry dmg. 10 Damage total.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:31, Sat 08 Oct 2011.

Shakkra
 player, 1 post
Sat 8 Oct 2011
at 17:17
Re: The Slaying Stone
All she had really known was that she was going to be able to earn some money, and that was plenty enough reason for her to go on this job.  Not that she liked the idea of starving children, but she wasn't about to give up a considerable amount of money like others would either.  A coin or two maybe, but nothing more.

As they walked, she had to shield her face from the annoying weather.  It would turn into this.  She grumbled.

The wolves stalked out of the shadows of the woods, drawing a heavy sigh from her.  ...By the nine gates...  She muttered, taking a step back before flicking her wand in the direction of the wolf trying to nom on Gale.

Attack: Vicious Mockery.

Heal Liberty for 10 hp. Hi! Back to full HP!

Versus G. Wolf 2: Roll of 8.  Just barely hit.

Damage: 1d6+6 Psychic Damage.  Roll of 4.  10 total Damage.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:36, Sat 08 Oct 2011.

Gale Sargas
 player, 7 posts
Sun 9 Oct 2011
at 17:16
Re: The Slaying Stone
"Indeed," Gale says, summoning a darkness that takes hold of the furthest wolf, "Don't let them flank you.  If they do they'll knock you down and tear your throat."

Grasping shadows hits Ravenous_Wolf1.  minimum damage 6, but slowed.
Ravenous_Wolf1 HP: 19

Bridget
 player, 1 post
 Strategy Machine
 Lawful Good
Mon 10 Oct 2011
at 02:54
Re: The Slaying Stone
Bridget doesn't comment on Gale's suggestion, but she smacks the wolf in front of her, pushing it as Bridget takes ground. "Everyone, hit this wolf! Then focus on whatever wolf I attack next!" Remember, folks, her exclamations marks do not indicate emotion. They indicate volume only. OK, so that's impossible to imagine, so Bridget sounds like a stern commander, which hints at angry emotions. But whatever... she is a commander and will guide the group through.


(Standard: Tide of Iron v Wolf1. Hit(18)!)
 dmg: 8 and marked, push 1, enter vacated space.


Gray Wolf 1 HP: 28 - 8 = 20 and marked

Ravenous Wolves
Mon 10 Oct 2011
at 03:20
Re: The Slaying Stone
The ravenous wolves move in closer and attack!  One grabs and savages Gale's leg, while another gets Shakkra's!

23:15, Today: Narrator rolled 17 using 1d20+7. Wolf 3 charge Shakkra.
23:15, Today: Narrator rolled 11 using 1d10+3. damage to Shakkra.
23:16, Today: Narrator rolled 24 using 1d20+7. Wolf 2 charge Gale.
23:17, Today: Narrator rolled 4 using 1d10+3. damage to Gale .

Gale HP: 19 AND GRABBED!
Shakkra HP: 12 AND GRABBED!

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:21, Mon 10 Oct 2011.

Liberty
 player, 1 post
 Anger Management Failure
 Almost Neutral, but Good
Mon 10 Oct 2011
at 03:45
Re: The Slaying Stone
"In a bit." Liberty answers Bridget. "I'll pile 'em up for you first." she waves her hand and the wolves no longer see her. She then walks among them effortlessly before suddenly turning to punch a wolf. All three wolves in front of her go flying 5 feet back!


(Free: Forceful Push v Ravenous Wolf 3, positioning him away from Shakkra)
(Standard: Memory Hole v Gray Wolf 2, Ravenous Wolf 2, 3. Hit(16), Hit(24), Miss(6))
 dmg: 10 and invisible to hit targets.
 ((This was Augmented with 2 Power Points))
(Move: To below Gale. No AoO due to being invis to wolves)
(ACTION POINT!)
(Standard: Force Punch v Gray Wolf 2. Hit(23)!)
 dmg: 9 and push GW2, RW2, and RW3 all 1 square (towards Gray Wolf 1)


Gray Wolf 2 HP: 28 - 10 - 9 = 9
Ravenous Wolf 2 HP: 25 - 10 = 15

This message was last edited by the player at 03:45, Mon 10 Oct 2011.

Brickelle
 player, 2 posts
 Level 1 Human Ranger
 Cute Little Sniper
Wed 12 Oct 2011
at 18:38
Re: The Slaying Stone
I can do that, as long as I can see them and with my eyes, not hard at all.  She said, sliding to stand behind Bridget before pulling out two more arrows and letting them fly, both of them whizzing by Bridget to strike home in the wolf, the woman smiling.

Got you covered, Bridget!  She squees and smiles.

Shift to her right to get behind Bridget.

Attack: Twin Strike, both against Gray Wolf 1

Attack 1: Roll of 8 + 8 = 16 Hit!
Attack 2: Roll of 16 Enough Said

Damage: 2d12 (10 + 8) 18 damage total

This message was last edited by the player at 18:38, Wed 12 Oct 2011.

Shakkra
 player, 2 posts
 Level 1 Tiefling Bard
 Sweet Singing Siren
Wed 12 Oct 2011
at 18:49
Re: The Slaying Stone
She didn't bother to respond to Bridget as far as the request she made went, she just simply decided to follow the advice.  After all, she looked she knew what she was doing.  No reason to think otherwise until something happens to suggest that she didn't.

She growled at the wolf that chomped into her leg angrily, raising her wand and cursing at the creature in a language that she hadn't spoken yet (Draconic) before looking over to the wolf near Bridget.

Attack: Misdirected Mark on Gray Wolf 1

Roll of 6 + 6 = 12 Miss vs reflex

This message was last edited by the player at 06:22, Thu 13 Oct 2011.

Gray Wolves
Thu 13 Oct 2011
at 04:36
Re: The Slaying Stone
The two gray wolves attack Bridget, tearing at her legs, but are unable to pull her down!

00:27, Today: Narrator rolled 20 using 1d20+7. wolf 1 v bridget.
00:29, Today: Narrator rolled 8 using 1d6+5. damage to bridget.
00:29, Today: Narrator rolled 27 using 1d20+7. wolf 2 v bridget.  11 damage

Gray wolf 2 shifts east 1 square.

Bridget HP: 4
Bridget
 player, 3 posts
 Strategy Machine
 Lawful Good
Thu 13 Oct 2011
at 04:44
Re: The Slaying Stone
Bridget says, "These wolves came looking to feed themselves, but tonight, they will feed us." her words of inspiration helping her to push past her pain as if she hadn't been injured. Bridget then moves forward, smacks the wolf several feet, knocking it unconscious. She then turns and hits the other wolf, smacking it down just like its comrade. She points at Ravenous Wolf 2. "Focus on that one!"


(Minor: Inspiring Word on Self.)
 Rolled a 1. Oh well. 6 HP is better than none.
(Standard: Tide of Iron v Wolf 1. Hit(27)!)
 dmg: Win. Didn't bother rolling since minimum would kill it.
 Push target 1 and slide into vacated space.
(ACTION POINT!)
(Standard: Basic Melee v Wolf 2. Hit(25)!)
 dmg: 11
(Move: Move down 1 to be adjacent to Ravening Wolf 2.)


Bridget HP: 4 + 6 = 10
Gray Wolf 1 HP: 2 - minimum 5 dmg = Dead
Gray Wolf 2 HP: 9 - 11 = Dead

This message was last edited by the player at 04:46, Thu 13 Oct 2011.

Gale Sargas
 player, 8 posts
Thu 13 Oct 2011
at 05:23
Re: The Slaying Stone
"Well done, Bridget," Gale commends, "This next spell might make them all unable to attack for a moment.  But only if we stay out of their reach."

Her eyes glow and she holds her hand out.  The wolves move in, then yelp and back away from Gale!

Readied: Beguiling strands v wolf 1,2,3 when they end their move actions.

1d20 +5 >= 14
1: 20 + 5 = 25 ... success
2: 14 + 5 = 19 ... success
3: 18 + 5 = 23 ... success

5 damage and push wolves up to three squares each.  Choosing to push 1!  Meaning they cannot charge!  So they all ready basic melees for anything that gets too close.

Ravenous_Wolf1 HP: 14
Ravenous_Wolf2 HP: 10
Ravenous_Wolf3 HP: 20

Liberty
 player, 2 posts
 Anger Management Failure
 Almost Neutral, but Good
Fri 14 Oct 2011
at 01:05
Re: The Slaying Stone
Liberty looks at the wolf she was invisible to and gives it a menacing glare. It yelps and collapses unconscious.


(Standard: Memory Hole v Ravenous Wolf 2. Hit(22)!)
 dmg: 10 (Mu-mu-mu-MAXIMUM damage! JUST enough to kill it!)
(Move and Minor not needed)


Ravenous Wolf 2 HP: 10 - 10 = 0

Brickelle
 player, 3 posts
 Level 1 Human Ranger
 Cute Little Sniper
Fri 14 Oct 2011
at 17:11
Re: The Slaying Stone
Seeing the wolves step back from Gale, she smiled a little.  Good puppies, hold still.  She said, pulling out an arrow, twirling it around her fingers before loading it into the bow, pulling the string back and releasing it, the arrow flying towards the wolf, catching the shoulder, causing the creature to yelp before she pulled out another one, sinking the arrow into the other shoulder.

As the first wolf fell to the ground, she swung around and fired two more arrows at the remaining beast, one of which went sailing off into the woods somewhere.  The other found its way into the eye of the beast, falling over dead.

Minor: Quarry on R. Wolf 1
Standard: Two Fanged Strike on R. Wolf 3

Attack 1: Roll of 14+6=20 vs AC (hit)
Attack 2: Roll of 11+6=17 vs AC (hit)

Damage: 1W+dex mod per attack

Damage 1: Roll of 11+5=16
Damage 2: Roll of 1+5=6

22 damage total.

Action point!

Twin Strike on R. Wolf 1

Attack 1: Roll of 10+6=16 (hit)
Attack 2: Roll of 2+6= yeah right.

Damage: Roll of 8.  Quarry Damage: Max
14 damage exactly.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:11, Fri 14 Oct 2011.

Shakkra
 player, 3 posts
 Level 1 Tiefling Bard
 Sweet Singing Siren
Fri 14 Oct 2011
at 17:14
Re: The Slaying Stone
Just as she was about to attack one of the last few beasts, arrows came whizzing by at an alarming rate with ridiculous accuracy, dropping the two animals before she could barely utter a word.  Nice shooting.  She said, starting to head towards the shelter again, just wanting to get out of the rain.
Bridget
 player, 5 posts
 Strategy Machine
 Lawful Good
Fri 14 Oct 2011
at 18:25
Re: The Slaying Stone
Bridget sheaths her sword, grabs a wolf and heads for the shelter. "Good job, everyone. There are 5 wolves. One for each of us. Whoever wants one, grab one." She is slightly surprised Shakkra didn't bother healing herself or Bridget, but then, Bridget has heard bards can heal just as magically during a rest as they can during combat.

She makes a mental note of the skills displayed so far. Everyone but Brickelle got hurt. Gale forced the wolves to be inept towards the end. Liberty did great at positioning and even finished one of the wolves. Shakkra healed Liberty. And, of course, Brickelle finished off two just like Bridget. Bridget is pleased with her team, and this was a decent test. A full pack of wolves taken out before the wolves could even think to retreat.


As a hybrid, I can only heal once and I used it. :\ Saving the "rest" for when we enter the shelter.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:28, Fri 14 Oct 2011.

Liberty
 player, 3 posts
 Anger Management Failure
 Almost Neutral, but Good
Fri 14 Oct 2011
at 18:34
Re: The Slaying Stone
Liberty nods and grabs a wolf, having to drag it since Liberty isn't all that strong. "Our pack was just a little more ravenous than theirs. I'm going to make a cloak out of this wolf." But even as she walks, Liberty keeps an eye out ahead of everyone. Not that Liberty is ahead, but her sixth sense is.


(Minor: Sensing Eye)
Gale Sargas
 player, 10 posts
Fri 14 Oct 2011
at 18:54
Re: The Slaying Stone
Liberty doesn't sense any more immediate danger, though likely more wolves will come to investigate the smell of blood in the air.

"Indeed," Gale says, using her mage hand to tie the end of her rope around the neck of one of the wolves so she can drag it relatively easily.

Gale knocks on the door and an old lady answers who gasps at the sight of the wounded adventurers and the dead wolves.

"Please come in!" she says before Gale can even get a word in, opening the door wide.

Once inside the warm, yet very crowded first floor, the group had already made a wet, muddy puddle at the threshold, but the old lady doesn't seem to mind at all and she closes the door to keep the rain out.

"My lord!" she calls up the stairs, "We have guests!  They're injured!"

"I'll look for bandages!" a man's voice calls down.

"Don't forget towels, my lord!" she reminds.

"Yes, yes, of course."

A regal man in his mid forties descends the stairs to join them, carrying towels and bandages.

"This is my Lord Kiris Alkirk," the old lady says, passing out towels, "My name is Treona.  Welcome.  Please, make yourselves comfortable at the fire."

"I'll bring more chairs," the man says, rushing back upstairs.

"Thank you for your hospitality," Gale says with a smile, "My name is Gale.  This is Bridgett, Shakkra, Brickelle, and Liberty.  We were attacked by wolves, but we handled ourselves rather well and we have a magical healer among us, so we'll be fine."
Brickelle
 player, 4 posts
 Level 1 Human Ranger
 Cute Little Sniper
Sat 15 Oct 2011
at 19:48
Re: The Slaying Stone
She whispers a prayer for the souls of the animals that had fallen before them, taking the idea of making a cloak out of them to be a good idea and it would put the pelt to good use as opposed to just throwing it aside.  The beast would make a fine meal, but the weather was reminding her that she needed to get inside before she got sick.

Grabbing her wolf by the tail, she dragged it into the building, shaking her head to get a couple of loose strands out of her face only to have half her face covered in long red strands going every which way.  As she dragged the wolf inside, the let go of the dead animal and bow, pulling her hair out of her face and smiling.
Shakkra
 player, 4 posts
 Level 1 Tiefling Bard
 Sweet Singing Siren
Sat 15 Oct 2011
at 19:54
Re: The Slaying Stone
It took a good deal of effort to drag the beast into the shelter, but she managed to do so, though she was the last one to get inside and just laid the animal beside the door.  At least we have food for a while.  I think I will keep my pelt as well.  Might come in handy for something.  She said, noting the injury to her leg and Bridget.

She walked over to the fireplace and sat down, trying to warm up while thinking of a song for her to sing.  She smiled softly, thinking of home as she began to sing.

Kerran vain haaveeni nähdä sain
En pienuutta alla tähtien tuntenut
Kerran sain kehtooni kalterit
Vankina sieltä kirjettä kirjoitan

Luojani, luoksesi anna minun tulla siksi miksi lapseni minua luulee

Sinussa maailman kauneus
Josta kuolema teki minusta taiteilijan

Luojani, luoksesi anna minun tulla siksi miksi lapseni minua luulee

Luojani, luoksesi anna minun tulla siksi miksi lapseni minua luulee

Oman taivaan tänne loin
Anna minun päästä pois

Oman taivaan tänne loin
Anna minun päästä pois


Song of Rest.  Spending a healing surge to get to 22/23
Bridget
 player, 6 posts
 Strategy Machine
 Lawful Good
Tue 18 Oct 2011
at 20:25
Re: The Slaying Stone
Bridget says, "Thank you, Shakkra." then looks at Treona. "And thank you, Treona. My allies and I plan to use the meat and hide of these wolves later. Until then, where can we put these wolves so they don't cause this place to stink?" skinning is also stinky business, so she isn't going to do that right now.

(Spending 1 surge to regain 10 HP thanks to song of rest. HP is now 20 of 23.)
Liberty
 player, 4 posts
 Anger Management Failure
 Almost Neutral, but Good
Tue 18 Oct 2011
at 20:32
Re: The Slaying Stone
Liberty keeps an eye on the stairs and sets her sixth sense there to watch Lord Kiris Alkirk. These people may be nice. Then again, they may just be acting. Liberty doesn't trust them. She telepathically broadcasts to her allies, <<If they let us rest the night, at least one of us should stay awake and take shifts to watch the rest of us.>>

Although Liberty is tempted to use telekinesis to grab a towel, she doesn't make it obvious what she is capable of and instead takes the towel the old fashioned way.

(Minor: Sensing Eye on stairs)
(Minor: Thought Projection to "speak" with allies.)

Gale Sargas
 player, 11 posts
Wed 19 Oct 2011
at 21:54
Re: The Slaying Stone
<< No worries, >> Gale thinks back at Liberty, << These folks can be trusted. >>

Liberty can see Lord Alkirk busily stacking chairs at the top of the stairs in a hurry like he just got a surprise visit from a king.  Before long he hefts the chairs and begins carefully descending the stairs.

"Waste not, want not," Treona says with an approving nod, "No need to worry yourselves with that, they're fine where they lay for now.  I'm sure you'd rather a hot meal right away than wait a long while for me to cook up your game."

She takes a pot from the fire and takes the lid off.  The room is instantly filled with the savory aroma of home made stew full of veggies and seasoning.  She takes a small taste and nods.

"It's ready."

She gets to passing out bowls and spoons while Alkirk sets up chairs.

"You're guess is quite right, Treona," Gale says with a smile, "That smells soo appetizing I can hardly wait.

"Kiris...  That's the name of the rulers of the fallen town of Kiris Dahn."


A look passes Alkirk's face like he's recalling a painful memory.

"Eight years ago the citizens were forced to abandon Kiris Dahn," he answers, "In the face of an overwhelming goblin invasion, the populace scattered to other settlements or secluded lives.  The goblins took over Kiris Dahn and live there still."

"My Lord is the last heir in the Kiris line," Treona says.
DC 5 insight: They seem honest enough.  DC 10: They're definitely an item.  DC 15: All this hospitality is probably because they're going to ask the group to brave the goblin lair to recover something for them.
Brickelle
 player, 5 posts
 Level 1 Human Ranger
 Cute Little Sniper
Thu 20 Oct 2011
at 14:45
Re: The Slaying Stone
<<I trust them too, Liberty.  It should be okay to sleep here.>>  She thought to Liberty, letting out a little yawn and smiling, looking over to the good smelling food.  It does smell rather tasty.  Thank you for your hospitality, Miss Treona and our thanks to Lord Alkirk as well  She said, waiting patiently for some stew.  She was starting to get sleepy as well as it had been a long day.

Insight.  Roll of 9 + 2 = 11

This message was last edited by the player at 14:46, Thu 20 Oct 2011.

Shakkra
 player, 5 posts
 Level 1 Tiefling Bard
 Sweet Singing Siren
Thu 20 Oct 2011
at 14:52
Re: The Slaying Stone
She did enjoy singing, a slight smile on her face as she finished her song, opening her eyes as Bridget spoke.  You're welcome.  I hope you enjoyed it.  She said simply.  She takes the offered bowl and spoon and waits for the meal, thoroughly enjoying just the aroma of it, wondering how good it will actually taste.

Roll of 11 + 1 = 12
Liberty
 player, 5 posts
 Anger Management Failure
 Almost Neutral, but Good
Thu 20 Oct 2011
at 23:51
Re: The Slaying Stone
Liberty telepaths, <<Yeah... well I don't trust fate. Besides, the only reason they're being this nice is because they're about to ask us to go to Kiris Dahn and use our "talents" to do them some kind of huge favor.>>

Liberty says, "Eight years ago, I wouldn't have been much help. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm one of the survivors since I don't remember my parents. I woulda been... 2 years old maybe."


(Rolled a crit on Lib's insight check. O.o Not that she even needed a roll, her passive would have sufficed.)
Bridget
 player, 7 posts
 Strategy Machine
 Lawful Good
Thu 20 Oct 2011
at 23:56
Re: The Slaying Stone
Bridget is no singer. Neither is Liberty, but still. Bridget asks, "Nobody has made any attempt to retake Kiris Dahn?" she is certainly surprised if the answer is "correct", but wouldn't be surprised if the answer is "some have tried, nobody succeeded so far". Either way, her being expressionless leaves anyone wondering what her true feelings on the matter are.


(Rolled a 9. +0. Her passive could have figured the two were a couple, but this fits Bridget better. She doesn't care about romance as that involves more emotion than she is willing to invest.)
Gale Sargas
 player, 12 posts
Sun 23 Oct 2011
at 05:44
Re: The Slaying Stone
The stew is both very savory and less than perfect.  It was cooked in a very old cast-iron pot so it has a burnt flavor to it, but at the same time that means it has a distinct smoky flavor.

"I sure did," Gale answers Shakra with a smile, giving her a cute little girly applause.

<< I don't trust fate either, Liberty, >> Gale paths back, << Which is why I haven't mentioned our quest yet. >>

Treona covers her mouth and gasps, looking at Liberty pityingly on the verge of tears.  "Ten years old!  Poor dear!  You must have been so frightened by those nasty wolves!"

Gale headshakes.  "Liberty's a powerful child prodigy who's weathered things that would make a hardened war veteran curl up and cry like a baby.  Wolves and goblins aren't that big a deal."

Tears roll down Treona's cheeks.  "She's been through worse than goblins?!  Come here, sweetheart!"

She opens her arms, offering a hug to Liberty.

Alkirk headshakes to Bridget's question.  "If we could we would.  The regional Lord promises that as soon as he has the troops to spare he'll rout the goblins, but for the past 8 years all his troops have been 'busy' guarding more valuable lands.  All my other appeals are met with silence."
Brickelle
 player, 6 posts
 Level 1 Human Ranger
 Cute Little Sniper
Sun 23 Oct 2011
at 14:40
Re: The Slaying Stone
Hearing the situation at Kiris Dahn, she couldn't help but frown.  Sounds like the Lord isn't a very good man, leaving his people alone to deal with such a nasty threat like this.  How rude of him.  She says, enjoying the stew, not paying much mind to the burnt flavor.

Finishing her bowl, she sits it on the table in front of her, patting her belly.  Mmmm, Tasty.  Thank you so very much.  She says.  <<Let me guess.  They want us to go take care of the goblins and retrieve some magical item for them?>>  She telepaths to Liberty.
Shakkra
 player, 6 posts
 Level 1 Tiefling Bard
 Sweet Singing Siren
Sun 23 Oct 2011
at 14:43
Re: The Slaying Stone
She smiled, like an actual smile when Gale applauds her performance!  Even though the smile is short lived, it was a smile none the less.  She could taste the burnt flavor in the stew, but she didn't want to upset the kind people or to seem ungrateful, so she simply ate, listening to the telepathic conversation with the rest of the group.

<<At least it won't be boring.>>  She adds telepathically.
Bridget
 player, 8 posts
 Strategy Machine
 Lawful Good
Sun 23 Oct 2011
at 17:57
Re: The Slaying Stone
Luther Mahoney comes to mind. Yes, he was a slithering, slimy snake, but if someone attacked one of his people, he would demolish the attackers. His method was to send a message so people didn't dare mess with him. And many people were too frightened to snitch as a result.

Bridget actually doesn't question the morality so much as the sanity of a ruler willing to just sit back and let someone take land from him. "What kind of numbers, defenses, and terrain are we facing?" Bridget asks.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:57, Sun 23 Oct 2011.

Liberty
 player, 6 posts
 Anger Management Failure
 Almost Neutral, but Good
Sun 23 Oct 2011
at 18:04
Re: The Slaying Stone
Liberty looks unphased by the burnt taste. Actually, she does like that smokey taste it gives as a result. Liberty gives Treona a confused look (This pic's almost exactly what I imagined expression-wise: http://wwwdelivery.superstock....tock_1525R-56355.jpg ).

Bridget says, "It's OK, Liberty. Just go to her like she asked."

Liberty nods and walks over to Treona.
Gale Sargas
 player, 13 posts
Tue 25 Oct 2011
at 03:33
Re: The Slaying Stone
"Far too many for your group to face alone, if that's what you're suggesting," Alkirk answers in surprise at Bridget's question, "But there is a critical mission that could be taken on by a small group such as yours that could strike such a devastating blow to the goblin defenses that the town could then be retaken.  Such a group would be richly rewarded, of course."

Leona glomps Liberty and huggles comfortingly.

"Interesting," Gale says, "What kind of reward?"

Alkirk takes a deep breath and exhales with an apparent sadness in his expression.

"Besides the favor of the entire region and praise of it's king, there is likely treasure still hoarded by the enemy.  As much as you can carry would be your reward."
Shakkra
 player, 7 posts
 Level 1 Tiefling Bard
 Sweet Singing Siren
Tue 25 Oct 2011
at 19:11
Re: The Slaying Stone
The promise of treasure and rewards was always enough to at least get her attention, paying a little more attention to what the couple was saying at least beyond what had already been stated.  Many people had told her things that she couldn't do and she had proved them all wrong before.  This time would be no different.

Skipping Brickelle this turn
Bridget
 player, 9 posts
 Strategy Machine
 Lawful Good
Tue 25 Oct 2011
at 22:32
Re: The Slaying Stone
Bridget says, "Tell us the mission." the expression wasn't lost on her. But Bridget won't say anything about it until later, after the mission is done. She's more interested in what she's supposed to do at the moment.
Liberty
 player, 7 posts
 Anger Management Failure
 Almost Neutral, but Good
Tue 25 Oct 2011
at 22:38
Re: The Slaying Stone
Liberty wiggles a little in Treona's grasp. She herself doesn't have much concept of treasure. Liberty doesn't have much to say or add about the mission, but she does notice Alirk's expression and asks, "Why are you sad?"

(OOC: I remember when I was a kid, a 25 cent toy as a reward was enough incentive to ace my homework. And yeah, my teacher had a full box of toys that, if you got 100% on your homework (or a test), you got to go to the prize box and pick one. It didn't matter to me how much the toy was worth because to me, its worth was happiness.)
Gale Sargas
 player, 16 posts
Fri 11 Nov 2011
at 05:05
Re: The Slaying Stone
Alkirk takes a deep breath and exhales slowly like he's about to begin some long, arduous task.  He glances at Liberty.

"I'm sad for my people's loss.  Any treasure you find will likely be what's left of their life's work, heirlooms, or mementos of lost loved ones.  Technically legal to take because of salvage laws.  But still sad that even if our home is restored, our treasure will be gone."

"Don't fret too much over that," Gale says, "I intend to use my share of the treasure to help folks in need.  And your people certainly qualify."

Alkirk smiles a little.

"Thank you so much, Gale.  It will mean a lot to the people."

He gives details on the mission:
quote:
Before the goblins came, the Kiris line had exhausted its supply ofslayina stones, powerful items that used magic to kill the town's greatest enemies. The town had eight ofthem, and all had been spent to destroy various threats. The goblins came in great numbers, and there was no stone to frighten them of(
While studying obscure historical texts, Treona found references indicating that there were originally nine slayina stones, not eight. Treona wants the adven· turers to find and retrieve the remaining stone so she can destroy it using a ritual she has devised.
Treona gives the characters a copy ofthe map shown on page 9 and explains that the goblins live primarily in the northern sections ofthe town, so it will be easier for the characters to travel through the southeast. She thinks the slayina stone likely rests within the old library, one of the temples, or the Kiris estate. All ofthese are outside the areas where most ofthe goblins live.


Gale nods.  "Interesting.  Now it makes a little more sense why the town has not yet been re-taken.  No king would want to lose favor with his troops by deliberately sending them into a death trap.  But I have an idea on how to trick the enemy if they've gotten their hands on it."

In a puff of smoke, she conjures a mirror and smiles.

Treona, still hugging Liberty, looks surprised.

"So you think the king knew there were 9?"

Gale shrugs.  "It's a theory."

the map: https://docs.google.com/open?i...NmMtZjM0Y2E2ZDkxNDlm

1. JAGGED MOUTH (CITY GATE)
2. KOBOLD SLUM (SLUM DISTRICT)
3. KINDLING SUPPLY (LIBRARY)
4. HOUSES or REVEL (TEMPLES)
5. LOOTING GROUNDS (TRADE DISTRICT)
6. BURNED TAVERN (INN of THE TALLEST FIR)
7. MONSTER PENS (KIRIS STABLES)
8. HOT SPRINGS (BATHS)
9. GOBLIN MANSION (KIRIS ESTATE)

This message was last edited by the player at 05:07, Fri 11 Nov 2011.

Brickelle
 player, 7 posts
 Level 1 Human Ranger
 Cute Little Sniper
Wed 30 Nov 2011
at 05:58
Re: The Slaying Stone
Hearing the sad tale of the destruction of their home was enough to almost bring tears to her eyes, looking over Alkirk and back to the rest of her teammates.  I don't think it would be right of us to not help these people.  I think we should help find the slaying stone and help them get their home back.

Skipping Shakkra this turn
Bridget
 player, 10 posts
 Strategy Machine
 Lawful Good
Wed 30 Nov 2011
at 06:24
Re: The Slaying Stone
Bridget looks the map over. "The place has low defense. We should be able to get there easily, depending on the size and depth of that river. We should start with the library and work our way north. For now, let's rest so we will be able to infiltrate at full strength."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:24, Wed 30 Nov 2011.

Liberty
 player, 9 posts
 Anger Management Failure
 Almost Neutral, but Good
Wed 30 Nov 2011
at 06:29
Re: The Slaying Stone
Liberty continues to wiggle a little in the arms of Treona. Her fists clench as she hears the story. "I'm going to make sure the enemy will suffer loss comparable to your loss by the time I'm through with them." She briefly forgets that she has yet to show these hosts why she is capable of handling herself, but she's too angry to think about that.
Gale Sargas
 player, 17 posts
Sat 3 Dec 2011
at 03:27
Re: The Slaying Stone
Gale gives a compassionate smile to Brickelle's emotional hero speech.  She knew there was a good reason she asked her along, and not just for her combat skill.

"I agree," Gale says before looking at the others, "With all of what was just said.  I'm thinking we should cross near the hot spring to have the option of warming up after crossing the likely frigid river.  Tomorrow we head out in time to arrive by sundown then wait in the trees until cover of darkness, so we should sleep in late."

"To lose what we've lost they would have to love as we loved," Alkirk says grimly.

"There there, hon," Treona coos comfortingly as she huggles and pets Liberty, trying to calm the girl down.
Shakkra
 player, 8 posts
 Level 1 Tiefling Bard
 Sweet Singing Siren
Sun 11 Dec 2011
at 14:44
Re: The Slaying Stone
Moving to stand right beside Gale and looking at the map, she found herself trying to find a better idea or something equally usable without having to cross the freezing cold river, though the idea of warming up at the hot springs made the idea seem better.  She couldn't really come up with any other more viable options, so she simply walked back over to the fire and sat down once again.  Well, at least we have a plan now.

Skipping Brickelle
Liberty
 player, 11 posts
 Anger Management Failure
 Almost Neutral, but Good
Mon 12 Dec 2011
at 16:20
Re: The Slaying Stone
Liberty leans lightly against Treona. In answer to Alkirk, she says nothing. But she does quietly think to herself, <Then I'll just have to make them love and then rip it from their hearts.> she looks at Gale, looks at the others, then nods. "Sleeping in sounds good. Especially after fighting."

Bridget says, "Agreed. Let's get some sleep."

(Ready for sleep fast-forward)
Gale Sargas
 player, 18 posts
Mon 12 Dec 2011
at 20:33
Re: The Slaying Stone
Sleep fast forward is haz!  Breakfast is served, and Treona promises to get to work on skinning and butchering the wolves as soon as the group sets out.  The rain has stopped, but the sky is still cloudy reflecting a crimson sunrise.  Gale thanks the hosts and leads the way onward toward the enemy encampment once the group is ready to go.
Brickelle
 player, 8 posts
 Level 1 Human Ranger
 Cute Little Sniper
Tue 20 Dec 2011
at 16:57
Re: The Slaying Stone
As the sun rose, so did she, surprised that Treona had been up cooking breakfast already and cooking breakfast.  The young archer had offered to help, but was declined by the hostess with the most pleasant of smiles, so the young woman slipped outside to just enjoy the fresh air of the morning and feel the rising sun on her skin.
Shakkra
 player, 9 posts
 Level 1 Tiefling Bard
 Sweet Singing Siren
Tue 20 Dec 2011
at 17:00
Re: The Slaying Stone
This woman was by no means a morning person, growling in ever so slight agitation as she rolls out of bed and begins to gather her belongings.  Walking outside, she noticed the airhead simply enjoying the morning and wondered if somewhere along the line there might have been some elf blood in this woman, what with this love of the morning and the ridiculous shooting ability with a bow.
Liberty
 player, 13 posts
 Anger Management Failure
 Almost Neutral, but Good
Tue 20 Dec 2011
at 19:03
Re: The Slaying Stone
As if to make Shakkra wonder if it's just as much a human thing, Liberty is soon outside as well and pauses to stare at the outdoors, shielding her eyes with her hand, taking in a huge breath and exhaling as the breeze blows through her hair. But she quickly makes it obvious why she's enjoying the outdoors. "All those years... I never knew how eternal the sky is until I escaped. How bright the surface world is. How vibrant the colors can be. It's good to see you don't take it for granted." she says to Brickelle.
Bridget
 player, 11 posts
 Strategy Machine
 Lawful Good
Tue 20 Dec 2011
at 19:05
Re: The Slaying Stone
When everyone has eaten and is ready, Bridget heads off with her group to get going to the enemy location. She doesn't really take much note of the outdoors any more than the indoors. Although along the way, it could be noticed Bridget tends to glance at flowers...

This message was last edited by the player at 19:06, Tue 20 Dec 2011.

Gale Sargas
 player, 19 posts
Wed 21 Dec 2011
at 03:27
Re: The Slaying Stone
Gale takes note of her allies' quirks and enjoys the brisk walk.

"It took quite a bit of convincing for Treona to relent to your coming with us, Liberty,"
Gale mentions in passing with an absent-minded smile, "She's such a darling she'd probably cry if you so much as stub your toe much less take on a goblin army.  If you should ever choose to spend some days in the warm embrace of someone who loves you, I'm certain she'll take you in as her own in a heartbeat.  Only drawback is that you'll not see much adventure till you leave her."
Shakkra
 player, 10 posts
 Level 1 Tiefling Bard
 Sweet Singing Siren
Mon 13 Feb 2012
at 20:17
Re: The Slaying Stone
As Liberty comes outside and starts to act much as the airheaded woman had been, it wasn't until she started to speak that it would make sense.  However, she figured that Brickelle was just annoyingly perky.  As they walk towards the enemy encampment, she for the majority of the trip stays silent and doesn't really speak until spoken to.

Skipping Brickelle
Liberty
 player, 14 posts
 Anger Management Failure
 Almost Neutral, but Good
Mon 13 Feb 2012
at 23:18
Re: The Slaying Stone
Liberty glances at Gale. "Tempting. But you need my help now. For that matter, Treona needs my help to fight goblins with you. If a goblin army kills her because I didn't help you stop them, then what's the point of being in her care? No... I'll consider it when they aren't in danger anymore."

Skipping Bridget. Big Earl.
Gale Sargas
 player, 20 posts
Wed 15 Feb 2012
at 03:44
Re: The Slaying Stone
"Well aid, Liberty," Gale answers with a smile, "You show your love with courage.  I admire that.  You have a good heart.  Treona will be a lucky lady if you decide to stay with her."

After this, Gale doesn't initiate conversation either.  To avoid being spotted on the road, it's a long and difficult journey through rough untamed wilderness.  Gale frequently compares the landscape against the map she has and does a decent job at guiding the group around major obstacles, but she's no Elf.  There's still plenty of brambles to navigate through.  At about midday she stops for lunch and rubs her feet and picks briars out of her clothes.
Brickelle
 player, 9 posts
 Level 1 Human Ranger
 Cute Little Sniper
Wed 15 Feb 2012
at 16:08
Re: The Slaying Stone
As they moved through the bushes and brambles, she does get a few pricks and scratches, but she still seems in high spirits to be sure.  Nothing seems to get under her skin, even as one of the bramble branches swings back after being pushed aside by another of their group to scratch her cheek, not even stopping to wipe the blood away.

When the group stops at midday, she does as well, keeping an eye out in the direction ahead, absently picking thorns out of her armor, humming a tune.

Guess who I'm skipping this round...
Bridget
 player, 12 posts
 Strategy Machine
 Lawful Good
Fri 17 Feb 2012
at 19:28
Re: The Slaying Stone
Bridget watches her team mates, carefully studying how they act in a given situation. How much or how little their tolerances are for things during travel. Seeing Brickelle remain happy no matter what was a good sign since she had seen Brickelle get upset over what matters. Once they are resting, Bridget goes to give a gentle hand to Brickelle's scratches, apparently applying some sort of salve.

Liberty telepaths to the group, <<I can see things my eyes can't. I'll be keeping watch.>> As she sits and concentrates, looking around both with her eyes and with her powers.


[P] Sensing Eye (Minor; At-Will) * Personal
Effect: Choose one square you can see that is within 5 squares of you. Until the end of your next turn, you can determine your line of sight from that square.

Gale Sargas
 player, 21 posts
Sat 18 Feb 2012
at 06:27
Re: The Slaying Stone
Gale isn't one to complain either, but she's looking much more winded than the group's child.  She smiles at Brickelle's positive attitude and Bridget's concern for her.  To liberty she nods, still not quite used to the telepathy.

Liberty doesn't find any immediate dangers per se, however she can see that if the group continues on in the direction they've been going, they'll stumble upon a 30' mud puddle with a cloud of flying insects swarming over it.
Shakkra
 player, 11 posts
 Level 1 Tiefling Bard
 Sweet Singing Siren
Sat 25 Feb 2012
at 16:44
Re: The Slaying Stone
She barely speaks a word over the course of the trip, often just keeping her nose in a book and reading as she would look up every couple of sentences to make sure they didn't veer off and she not follow them.  As they move through the bushes, she barely even flinches as the brambles rake against her skin, mostly just scraping against her armor harmlessly.

Even as the group stops to rest, she simply props herself up against a tree and wraps her tail around her waist, flipping another page in her book.

As Bridget applies the salve to Brickelle, the archer looks at her with a smile and a nod.  Thanks, Bridget.
Liberty
 player, 15 posts
 Anger Management Failure
 Almost Neutral, but Good
Thu 1 Mar 2012
at 14:37
Re: The Slaying Stone
Liberty says, <...I think that's mud up ahead. And I know those are swarms of insects.> she points in a direction. <Best head that way, *around* the mud puddle.>
Gale Sargas
 player, 22 posts
Wed 11 Apr 2012
at 02:06
Re: The Slaying Stone
Gale is smiling, happy for the company she finds herself in.  "Thank you, Liberty.  By all means, please do guide us around such obstacles."

She inspects Shakkra's book curiously, looking for a title.  "Must be quite the page turner.  I do love a good book.  Except when it's so good I lose track of where I'm going and fall down a set of stairs, heh."

She blushes and rubs behind her head.