Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 GM, 29 posts
Fri 28 Oct 2011
at 02:27
Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Recap:
The adventure started in Fallcrest (which is traditionally Callie's hometown) when talk of heavy kobold activity sent the adventurers to the Lord Warden of Fallcrest, who has had enough of kobold raids along the old King’s Road. He readily offered them a bounty for clearing out Kobold Hall, asking them to bring proof that the ruins have been cleared out, such as the bone mask worn by the kobold leader. There were other adventure hooks in Fallcrest, but once the characters cleared out Kobold Hall, they discovered and defeated a white dragon named Szartharrax.

The characters found a letter in the dragon Szartharrax’s treasure chest. Written in Draconic, it is an offer of alliance from a goblin warlord named Irontooth who wishes to unite the monsters in the area against the people of Fallcrest.


Did our characters meet? I vote for no. We're skipping the DMG adventure, which leads to Winterhaven. But nothing says our characters did that adventure. Nothing says we didn't either. But I would rather say our characters are just now meeting each other since otherwise, we'll be making comments about events that didn't happen, such as "That was awesome, Amy, how you shot a beam of holy energy down and healed us all!" Amy: "But... I never did that. I can't. I'm not even of a faith..." and so on. So to avoid confusion, I'm ruling we just met as this adventure begins. SO! Please intro your character(s) entering Winterhaven.



Winterhaven (Village, Population 977)
The rutted King’s Road leads to the foot of a broad hill that holds the walled village of Winterhaven. The village is nestled in the southern foothills of the Cairngorm Peaks. The walls are weathered stone topped by defensive palisades.

Small thatched homes stand around Winterhaven, each fronting a small piece of farmland or pasture. Beyond the farms to the west and south lie dark woods, and to the north, tall mountain peaks.

BUT! We have not arrived in Winterhaven yet. We are on "King's Road", en route to Winterhaven. How we meet is up to each of us, but we meet now, on King's Road.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:58, Fri 11 Nov 2011.

Amy
 Player, 1 post
 Empath
 Mouse
Fri 11 Nov 2011
at 20:16
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Amy is on King's Road and takes a break. She's been walking for a while and the armor she wears is still a little heavy on a girl of her small frame, especially for long distances of walking. She takes a load off, taking off her boots to rub her feet. She is in human form right now, cautious to be so since she is traveling a well-traveled road.

Amy takes off a boot and begins rubbing her foot. "Just a little further, Amy.." she says quietly. "Then you can relax all you like."

This message was last edited by the player at 20:17, Fri 11 Nov 2011.

Opal
 Player, 1 post
Fri 11 Nov 2011
at 20:33
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Meanwhile, a fairy wanders a bit from the woods and spots the clearing up ahead. It's a road, probably traveled by non-fairy types. She puffs her cheeks, thinks about it, then sees Amy and bites her lower lip, shrugging her shoulders. Opal ponders pulling a prank, but then hears another down the road and decides to hold off until more people can be there to appreciate the prank!

(Hint: She hears one of you all, Chris or David! :p)
Puck
 player, 1 post
Fri 11 Nov 2011
at 22:59
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Puck is a little pixie fighter only 6" tall.  He's wearing scale mail and wielding an axe.  His wings are basic dragonfly style.  He spots Amy and approaches.

"This is a dangerous road for a little girl to be traveling alone," he says, "But never fear, for Puck is here!  I'll protect you from the nasties!"
Mathias
 Player, 1 post
 Deva Avenger Level 1
 Blessed Warrior
Wed 30 Nov 2011
at 05:30
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
The large blade bounces around on his back with each step as he travels along the road, not paying much mind to the world around him, almost walking in a trance towards the city of Winterhaven.  He wasn't sure why exactly he was going there, but they had been orders from his God and one did not question the Gods.

It wasn't like he was trying to be sneaky about walking along the road, even stopping for a moment to take in the world around him and even smiling ever so slightly.  Continuing along his way, he noticed a young woman sitting on the side of the road, flanked by what appeared to be fairies, or pixies.  He never did understand the distinction between the two races or even if there was one at all.

He approached the small trio and gave a slight bow.  Greetings.  Might I be of some assistance?
Cylar
 GM, 23 posts
 Drow Assassin Level 1
 Quiet and Reserved
Wed 30 Nov 2011
at 05:45
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
It had been a few days since he had carried out his last contract, a situation that could have gone better if his contact had had better intel on the place that his target was camping out.  He had expected a quick job and a fast pay before moving on.  What a debacle it had become, having to not only deal with his target, but the big bad bodyguard as well.  That and his contact disappeared and he had gotten stiffed out of the contract fee, an annoying turn of events to be certain.

He was not partial to taking roads for the most part, opting to stay among the trees, jumping from branch to branch to stay out of sight, even noticing the man in the robes with the large sword approaching another small group.  It interested him to say the least, so he decided to watch from the heights and just see what was going on.

Stealth roll: Roll of 9 + 14 = 23
Amy
 Player, 4 posts
 Empath
 Mouse
Wed 30 Nov 2011
at 05:53
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Opal notices she's been spotted and decides to come out anyhow.

Amy ohs at Puck, then looks at Matthias, then at Opal. She side-smiles (Like so: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8DIA6e8qoqE/TcKDrqEsdBI/AAAAAAAABGA/pB9YI0nsrhA/s1600/half_smile_by_chublybumkin.jpg ) and says, "Well hello, everyone. My name is Amy. I'm an adventurer." She asides to Puck. "Thank you for your protection." Then looks at Mathias and says, "I'm looking to get to Winterhaven. Was only resting my feet for a bit."
Opal
 Player, 2 posts
Wed 30 Nov 2011
at 05:56
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Opal flies up to Puck to examine him. Then flies up to Mathias to examine him. Then lands on top of Amy's head, sitting on it and wiggling her rainbow-colored wings. "Nice t'meetchya, Amy. I'm Opal!"
Puck
 player, 2 posts
Wed 30 Nov 2011
at 06:04
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Puck blink-blinks a little at the unexpected arrival of another pixie.

"Another pixie!  That was... unexpected.  Hi, Opal.  I'm Puck!  I'm an adventurer too!  Battlerager fighter to be more specific!  Meaning I'm tougher than even a Warden!"

He smiles brightly at Amy.

"You're welcome!  Resting your feet?  How 'bout you fly for a bit, then?"

He sprinkles Amy with some Pixie Dust!
Mathias
 Player, 2 posts
 Deva Avenger Level 1
 Blessed Warrior
Sun 11 Dec 2011
at 14:15
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
The pixies were certainly interesting creatures, if not slightly nuts, but he wasn't going to say anything about it, thinking that maybe they'd eventually calm down and be sane.  Talk of pixie dust and flying started getting said and he couldn't help but think they were both probably insane.  What are these creatures and how many hits to the head have they taken?  We mortals without wings can't fly!  He thought to himself.

Though as Amy mentions heading to Winterhaven, he glances over at her again.  Funny thing that, I'm heading there as well, so if you don't mind, I can travel with you three.
Cylar
 GM, 24 posts
 Drow Assassin Level 1
 Quiet and Reserved
Sun 11 Dec 2011
at 14:26
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
He wasn't sure what they were all talking about, or where they were going, but he needed to get to Winterhaven, so he wasn't going to delay himself any further by observing the three of them, heading off through the trees towards the town once again, using the tree tops for cover and moving as quietly as possible.

Not so great stealth check this time.  Rolled a 6.  Total 20.
Amy
 Player, 5 posts
 Empath
 Mouse
Mon 12 Dec 2011
at 07:52
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Amy starts to answer Matthias, "Sure. More company is welcome." As Amy is sprinkled with pixie dust, she begins hovering off the ground. She squeaks briefly, covering her mouth. Then says, "Woah.." it actually seems to amaze her.

She puts her shoes back on as she hovers back to the ground. "Thanks for the lift... seems to have worn off already, though."

Opal simply follows along, proud to be a pixie.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:53, Mon 12 Dec 2011.

Puck
 player, 3 posts
Mon 12 Dec 2011
at 20:23
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Puck puts on a huge proud grin when showed the least little bit of respect.

"Yippie!" he says, "Let's go!"

He snatches a twig and marches in front of the group with it like he's some kinda drum major.
Mathias
 Player, 3 posts
 Deva Avenger Level 1
 Blessed Warrior
Tue 20 Dec 2011
at 17:37
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
As Amy lifts off the ground, he can't help but be a bit shocked.  This day just keeps getting stranger and stranger...  He thinks as he simply follows along towards Winterhaven.

Skipping Cylar until arriving in Winterhaven, since he is moving on his own at the moment.
Amy
 Player, 6 posts
 Empath
 Mouse
Tue 20 Dec 2011
at 19:20
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
As they travel, Amy begins getting to know her new companions. "All of you are rarities. I haven't seen many pixies and I've never seen your kind before, Matthias... you are very majestic. What *are* you?"

Opal goes to examine Matthias. She's heard about Devas and suspects that's what Matthias is. Still, she doesn't interrupt, despite wanting to. She instead, goes to sit on Matthias's shoulder to examine his face up close.
Puck
 player, 4 posts
Wed 21 Dec 2011
at 03:53
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Puck too flies to get a closer look, but doesn't sit on anyone's shoulder.  Why?  Because he's friggin' HEAVY!  Imagine nearly 100 lbs compressed into the space of a quarter pressing down on your shoulder out of nowhere.  If Opal actually SIT sits instead of hovering over the shoulder, she might cause Mathias some serious discomfort.

"Uh... yeah," Puck says, "Studying the exotic races was kinda... not my thing."
Mathias
 Player, 4 posts
 Deva Avenger Level 1
 Blessed Warrior
Mon 13 Feb 2012
at 20:35
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
My kind are called Devas, celestial creatures of the greater gods of good.  He said simply enough, walking along with the rest of the group that without a doubt would certainly be of interest to him.  They seemed good enough anyway.
Opal
 Player, 3 posts
Mon 13 Feb 2012
at 23:24
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Opal says, "It's a bit scary. I never traveled this close to a big people town."

Amy says, "Don't be scared... after all, we have a celestial being here to guard us."

Opal continues examining Mathias. "...truuuuue..."
Puck
 player, 5 posts
Wed 15 Feb 2012
at 03:20
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
"And you got me to protect him!" Puck boasts, puffing up his chest, "Besides.  The bigger they are, the harder they fall!"

He slashes and stabs at an imaginary foe.  "Take that!  And that!  And that!  You'll not hurt my friends while I'm around!  Hyah!"
Mathias
 Player, 5 posts
 Deva Avenger Level 1
 Blessed Warrior
Wed 15 Feb 2012
at 16:04
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
A slight upturn of lips to form a semi smile at the pixies enthusiasm, but if there had been one thing that he had learned, it was never to underestimate anyone, even those that are small.

I admire your enthusiasm, little Puck.  I look forward to seeing what you can do in the future.
Amy
 Player, 7 posts
 Empath
 Mouse
Fri 17 Feb 2012
at 19:21
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Amy seems skeptical. The upside? She takes Puck seriously enough to not think he's joking. The downside? She thinks he has an overblown opinion of himself. "We'll see." she calmly states.

Opal just giggles. She goes to feign a damsel in distress and hovers near Puck batting her eyes. "Oh Puck! Saaaave me!" she puts the back of her hand on her forehead and spirals downward, making an exaggerated faint.
Puck
 player, 6 posts
Sat 18 Feb 2012
at 06:12
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Biiiig proud grin on Puck's face.  Nobody put him down!  not so much as a 'yeah, right!'  not even from the celestial guy with the giganto-blade!  Heaven!  he giggles at Opal's antics and puts on an exaggerated heroic pose and voice.

"I'll save you!"

He swoops to catch her!
Mathias
 Player, 6 posts
 Deva Avenger Level 1
 Blessed Warrior
Sat 25 Feb 2012
at 16:34
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
He had to admire the high spirits of his new companions, a slight upturn of one corner of his mouth, a slight smile as they walked.  At least they are in good spirits.  This adventure should indeed be fun.  He said, watching as the pixies put on their "little" act.

Little did he know that hovering over his head was a translucent owl that just seemed to be having a hoot with this post.
Opal
 Player, 4 posts
Thu 1 Mar 2012
at 14:33
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Amy continued to be reserved while Opal continued to be playful. Eventually, as they all get closer to the town, Opal gets more and more nervous.

Opal asides to Puck, "...HAVE you ever been to a big-people settlement?"
Puck
 player, 7 posts
Wed 14 Mar 2012
at 02:50
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Puck doesn't want to admit that he's never been to a Big People town.  He doesn't want to give the impression that he's scared, but he can't lie to a friend...

"I'm about to," he boasts confidently, "Don't worry.  We've already met some Big Folk, and they're nice!  Nicer than some fairies even.  We'll be fine.  If we were in any danger, our friends would tell us!"
Mathias
 Player, 7 posts
 Deva Avenger Level 1
 Blessed Warrior
Thu 22 Mar 2012
at 17:40
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
He simply followed along with the group that seemed to be just genuinely enjoying themselves, which in a way set him at ease as well, his face turned up to the sky as they walked, simply watching the tops of the trees and the clouds in the sky as they all walked towards the town, not exactly sure how long it would take them to get there.
Amy
 Player, 7 posts
 Empath
 Mouse
Thu 22 Mar 2012
at 21:14
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
Opal says, "I'm not half as confident as you, Puck!" and zooms to be behind Mathias. "Can I hide in your backpack, Mathias?"

Amy notices and says, "I can go in ahead of you all and ask the guards what they would think if a deva and two fairies entered town. Wait here."

She goes ahead of the team to the town entrance and asks the guards.

(So that we don't have to skip David, GM, feel free to assume Amy will report what she's told immediately back to the group)

This message was last updated by the player at 21:14, Thu 22 Mar 2012.

Puck
 player, 8 posts
Wed 11 Apr 2012
at 01:54
Re: Winterhaven - Beginning the Journey to Thunderspire
The guards of the town are skeptical of Amy's claim that she's been traveling with two fairies and a Deva, but when she insists they shrug.  "So long as they behave themselves?"

When Amy reports, Puck rolls his eyes.  He pinches his nose and mockingly imitates, "So long as they behave themselves."

"Note to self.  Make that what the guards say to visiting Humans if ever I wind up in charge of a village."

He shrugs and heads for the town.