Old Wounds.   Posted by Little Teacher.Group: 0
Doji Arata
 player, 1235 posts
Sun 6 Aug 2017
at 22:19
Doji Arata
Arata covers the bottom half of his face coquettishly with his fan.

"Oh, the title? Those are the most important words of the entire play, and so I save them for the very end. After all, only in hindsight do we ever call things by their right names. And as names go, I would have to say that this Dyer's Requiem is a particularly interesting one. I look forward to see if it is also well chosen."
Little Teacher
 GM, 6275 posts
Tue 8 Aug 2017
at 03:00
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 140):

He nods.  Yes.  Now then.  Is there any curiosity you wished satisfied?  There may be some matters I would have to refer to my thick headed nephew.  But if I can, I will answer as best I can. 
Little Teacher
 GM, 6276 posts
Tue 8 Aug 2017
at 03:03
Akodo Jubei
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 141):

He nods, then turns to the door, asking your adjunct to have them fetched.  He returns, seating himself as he says, I am pleased you seem interested in this matter.  While we wait, perhaps I can satisfy some of your curiosity.  What exact questions did you have?
Little Teacher
 GM, 6277 posts
Tue 8 Aug 2017
at 03:22
Doji Arata
In reply to Doji Arata (msg # 142):

She smiles and leads you down the walkway towards the workshops below.  She stays close to the water, and ahead you can hear the sounds of a water wheel.  The path, as well as the stream, comes to a sharp bend.  It sounds like the wheel is just around the corner.  She turns back to you and gestures, smiling, as she says, Dyer's Requiem.  Please be considerate of the workers.

Around the corner is a small platform set on the opposite side of the canal.  On one end, a water wheel as large as a Hida is set up, turning through the power of the current.  It seems attached to a mill of some type.  Not one as large as those the northerners use to grind wheat.  But larger than you would expect for the town.

Quails the size of small children are running about tending to large clay pots.  They push the pots to a slide jutting out from the side of the mill and then push them away again at some point.  Others seal the pots with tight sheets of muslim bound around the neck with thick strands of rope.  The jars are then pushed into the canal, bottom first.  They bob in the water, never quite submerging, and then float with the current down the canal.

To the other side of the platform, a rather odd bird with a large tail of almost garishly covered feathers is seated on a platform.  You recognize it from descriptions you have read of fauna from the Mantis Isles.  How a peacock managed to make it here you can not say.

One of the Quail runs up to the Peacock and asks, What color is this love of yours?

The Peacock rolls his head back rather dramatically and gazes at the sky, a look like a man about to weep for lost love flashing over his face.  Red.  For the color of her cheeks as she shyly looked away when I called her name.

One of the Quail runs forward brandishing a knife.  With the skill of a peasant cutting down tall grass, he slices away at one of the Peacock's tail feathers.  The Peacock groans in the manner of a bad actor and buries his head under a wing, sobbing.  The feather is caught before it can reach the ground and a squadron of Quail whisk it to the mill.

The dyes are floated down stream to the Wisp Collectors Guild.  It is used there to color the cloth the spinners spin.  A robe from them is a treasure.  Would you like to have one made?  We could request a dye while we are here.
Akodo Jubei
 player, 526 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Fri 11 Aug 2017
at 02:08
Akodo Jubei
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 144):

"It is important we weed the rest of the traitors out. Hmmm. Did he include in his reports where weapon shipments were going? He was moving enough material to the bandits that he had to have at least hidden the numbers in the reports somewhere."
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1317 posts
Fri 11 Aug 2017
at 02:24
Iuchi Lixue

Lixue pauses to consider what to ask.  Some of the questions that come to mind are better asked to Ochube-kun directly.  Some it seems his uncle would not be likely to know.  Otherwise just seem a little petty.

"Who are his friends besides myself?"  She inquires, realizing that she hasn't heard Ochube-kun mention his friends.  Perhaps he just fears to be seen as name-dropping, or does not wish his reputation to be a burden to them (Crane can be so odd).
Little Teacher
 GM, 6279 posts
Tue 15 Aug 2017
at 02:14
Akodo Jubei
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 146):

Traitors? Sheikei says the word slowly. He then nods. Oh to be sure. The numbers are well known and the points of shipment are as well. I can not vouch that the recepients of those shipments have no moved since they received them. They each were instructed to remain mobile.

May I interrupt with a question Lord Akodo? Is service to the Clan traitorous?

Little Teacher
 GM, 6280 posts
Tue 15 Aug 2017
at 02:16
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 147):

He sighs. Well. He knows a number of people. But 'friends'...in the truest sense of the word...two. They are currently here, drink8ng sake and talking about him.
Akodo Jubei
 player, 527 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Tue 15 Aug 2017
at 08:27
Akodo Jubei
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 148):

"Of course not."

He hasn't accused the man in front of him of anything. Iku-san, however, deserves the title.
Little Teacher
 GM, 6281 posts
Tue 15 Aug 2017
at 22:38
Akodo Jubei
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 150):

Sheikei smiles. Then if we serve the Clan...bring glory to it...we are true Lion. I agree. Wholeheartedly Akodo-sama. That is why we should act now to seize Naishou.
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1318 posts
Wed 16 Aug 2017
at 02:23
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 149):

Lixue wishes she were surprised. But it seems to be a common thing among Crane.  She had thought that Ochube-san might have had a friend among the magistrates--he seemed to find some common ground with her there when they first met.  "I would like it if Ochube-kun could meet my brothers, spend enough time with them that he might find a friend among them.   Do you think it would be possible for him to spend some time in Unicorn lands after this assignment?"


She adds thoughtfully.  "I've noticed that most Crane I've met have difficulty finding a good friend.  For all their exquisite manners.  Why is that?  It is not as though Ochube-kun's jokes are that bad.."
Akodo Jubei
 player, 528 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Wed 16 Aug 2017
at 06:35
Akodo Jubei
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 151):

Jubei thinks about that.

"Naishou would take a great expenditure of resources and manpower to maintain. The wall would have to be completely redone to get it to acceptable levels, and that's just defense. On top of everything else wrong with the city...it is more of a burden to give to a foe than a prize to be claimed."

He could doublecheck with father, of course, but...he's not seeing a tactical advantage to keeping the city on his own.

(OOC:I do recall being told Naishou is a terrible place to claim, several threads ago.)
Little Teacher
 GM, 6282 posts
Fri 18 Aug 2017
at 01:19
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 152):

He has not told you the one about the Scorpion. the Monk, and the one legged kimono salesman then. He laughs and looks up at the setting sun. It is already dusk. It seems it was dawn just moments ago. Ah. Age. Uncle-sama sighs. Honto. It is not that way. Friendships are deep and frue amongst my clan. But you have seen the worst of us I am sure.

It may be possible for the two of you to visit your home. But my nephew will be assigned new duties soon. This stop over in Naishou was to be temporary anyway. But...I will see what I can arrange.

Now. My addle headed nephew will be joining us soon. Ask me anything. Surely there is more you wish to know.

Little Teacher
 GM, 6283 posts
Fri 18 Aug 2017
at 01:23
Akodo Jubei
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 153):

You are correct. Sheikei doesn't seem to agree.

You did pick up on the fact he seems very well acquainted with Iku's scheme right?


Sheikei shrugs. Everything has a value. Even if it is just decoration. More importantly, a prize sbould be given to the most deserving. Who is stronber and nmore noble than the Lion?
Akodo Jubei
 player, 529 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Fri 18 Aug 2017
at 02:26
Akodo Jubei
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 155):

(OOC:Hmmm. Is this a courtier type roll situation where I can lead the conversation to get him to reveal something he'd perhaps rather not?)

Jubei's starting to wonder. Particularly since he seemed...offended when he mentioned traitors earlier.

"It's the quality of the prize that is up for debate. And the allocation of manpower requires to keep it. But tell me...what strategic value does Naishou have? What does owning it really bring the Lion in general?"
Little Teacher
 GM, 6284 posts
Sat 19 Aug 2017
at 04:21
Akodo Jubei
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 156):

Yep. Though he is a skilled diplomat, he seems to be acting slightly emotional as you pointed out in your post. Your post is a good lead in  y the way. Nicely done.

Sheikei answers a bit too quickly. Like he has thought about this. There is always value in land. And Naishou is reasonably fertile. It borders the Crane, which allows us to pressure them if we see fit. The level of craftsmanship among the local artisans is not on par with the Crane. But they do rank above our own. Lastly, any prize that is denied an enemy is a value u to itself, neh Akodo-dono?
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1319 posts
Sun 20 Aug 2017
at 02:20
Iuchi Lixue

Lixue smiles over her cup, taking a moment to hide her disappointment that she cannot steal Ochube-san to Unicorn lands so easily..or at least not for very long.

She sits a little straighter as an important question zings to her thoughts. "Actually, there are at least two.  Does your nephew still like dogs?"   That seems quite an important question, and not only because Lady Wahune is sure to ask. "And also--what errand did you send him on and how did you get him to agree?"

Not that she planned to manipulate Ochube-san.  Other people tried to do so quite enough. But knowing how to convince him (in case there was a great urgency) was a good thing to know.
Little Teacher
 GM, 6285 posts
Mon 21 Aug 2017
at 22:39
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 158):

Uncle-sama cocks an eyebrow at your first question. He was not expecting it. Oh. Hai. He is still the fool for drooly tongue and wagging tail. Do you own one? That might help explain the extent of his attachment to you.

As far as the errand...
A sly grin comes across his face. The blackest of mail. I threatened to tell you the turtle story were he not to fetch something from the temple. And true to my word I will not tell it. He leans closer and says in a conspiratory whisper, Though there is a servant here very familiar with the tale who can be tasked with brining a refill of tea should the Lady desire it.
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1320 posts
Tue 22 Aug 2017
at 17:48
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 159):

"I was thinking of getting Ochube-kun a hound.  They have been good luck for my parents."   She admits a little wistfully,  "and it is a good friend for a magistrate to have."

She shakes her head no at the offer to obtain the story through..sly means.  "I am, of course, very curious--but I think it may be better to save for a rainy day.  This evening has so much excitement already."   It seems unkind to harrow Ochube-san more than he has.  His uncle can be a bit...dastardly..it seems.  It is probably better he doesn't know about the brothel.
Akodo Jubei
 player, 530 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Wed 23 Aug 2017
at 02:14
Akodo Jubei
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 157):

"A prize is only a prize if it can be kept. You have spoken the truth...all that you say is the case. But Naishou changes his hands more than women change clothes. Over the past 10 years, it has been in the hands of 6 of the Great Clans. And that trend isn't likely to end. And while assaulting the city is easy, defending it is a task very few in history have managed. And most of them only once or twice."

Pause.

"So in the long run, it's best to let enemies hold it...and waste their manpower trying to defend it. We have the largest army, it is true. But that means our opponents trying to hold this city have less to lose, and any portion of their forces lost is a greater part of their forces."

In short, he sees the city like a trap. A trap to let opponents have...and weaken themselves on.

"If the Crane were our primary problem at the moment, I'd arrange for them to get the city...and the impossible task of holding it. Or even running it. Look at all the trouble Miya-sama has with fake ministers and bandits and all the rest of it. Such problems are best given to an opponent."

If this is the correct fish, perhaps he will bite, and claim he can make those problems magically disappear. Presumably by calling off his own forces.
Little Teacher
 GM, 6286 posts
Wed 23 Aug 2017
at 02:42
Iuchi Lixue
In reply to Iuchi Lixue (msg # 160):

Uncle-sama laughs and drops the matter. The two of you converse about his travels through the Empire.

It is not long after Ochube strides in. He smiles as he sees you, greeting you properly, though perhaps wishing to be a bit less formal about it. He glances at Uncle than you. So...have a nice talk?
Little Teacher
 GM, 6287 posts
Wed 23 Aug 2017
at 02:44
Akodo Jubei
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 161):

Sheikei answers studies the floor a moment. But...if these things were not an issue...then I think Naishou might be a prize.
Akodo Jubei
 player, 531 posts
 Daimyo's son
 Future General
Wed 23 Aug 2017
at 04:12
Akodo Jubei
In reply to Little Teacher (msg # 163):

"We wish for many things, but those things aren't reality. Bandits and fake ministers are, I think, just the beginning, and things are going to get worse before they get better. Let someone else have the burden...and lose the manpower...rooting out problems like these."

Pause...

"My best efforts have yielded no solutions, after all. And 3 problems grow back whenever I neutralize one."
Iuchi Lixue
 player, 1321 posts
Wed 23 Aug 2017
at 16:11
Iuchi Lixue

Everyone has that wish for secrets that don't belong to them, and Lixue's is sorely disappointed by her deciding not to pry.  Even if Kakita-sama was dangling it like a feather in front of a kitten.  Besides the story itself, she is very curious about why Doji-san doesn't want it told? Does he fear looking silly?  Cruel to turtles?

Well, perhaps she'll find out some day.

Lixue smiles to see him, and it is a smile like taking off your fanciest shoes after a long day. "Yes, will you sit with us?" She replies simply, as she goes through the formal greeting. "I was telling your uncle something of my family.  I hope I can introduce you to my brothers and my family's herd this summer.    She admits, a little shyly.  "I have been, perhaps, day-dreaming a little about what kind of steed you will end up with."

Very well, she has been speculating quite a bit.   She would like to take him out to the great pasture and see if Namoku, the fortune of the horses would make a horse-partnership for him.

In the very least he must have a fine Unicorn horse to ride.
Little Teacher
 GM, 6289 posts
Sun 27 Aug 2017
at 21:05
Akodo Jubei
In reply to Akodo Jubei (msg # 164):

Sheikei considers a moment. May I ask Akodo-dono to indulge me a moment? What if the disturbances could be dealt with? Is it not possible that with Iku-san's exsposure as a saboteur, the situation may bec9me more straightforward?