Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture.   Posted by Segev Stormlord.Group: 0
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 155 posts
Tue 29 Mar 2011
at 18:38
Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Setting out immediately sadly means that Beatrix, Sevastian, Freverick, Fire Soul, and Ocean Soul all, sadly, miss the first performance of K's circus. The two young entrepreneurs obtained steeds and feed and supplies without complaint. A brief argument in private wound up with Ocean Soul winning the point that a cart with camping gear would slow them down, so a pack mule carries tents while other supplies are broken into individual packs. The whole of it comes out to a little more than half an obol (they seem to have assumed they could borrow horses from the LeSchaye estate, to keep costs down, given who's behind this expedition).

The evening air is warm, with a low buzz of cicadas punctuating silences in conversation. A half-hour outside of the tent city, the rolling plains around Trademeet Dale are easily seen partitioned off into cultivated fields, rolling down hill towards bracken and untilled land that butts up against the shores of the Yanaze to the south. It's peaceful, almost eerie. It's not yet so late that farmers would be completely out of their fields, but they're all in town for the festival, giving the easy impression that the quintet are in a private world all to themselves. The horses plot along gamely, having only just started out. The road is clear and well-maintained, making footing sure and easy even as the sun starts to set.

Merlin and Aya set off on their own from the township; they haven't reported back yet, but it'd be worrisome if they did after only a half hour.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:47, Tue 29 Mar 2011.

Sevastian
 player, 61 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Wed 30 Mar 2011
at 20:36
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian rides casually, his violin in hand playing a soft traveling tune. He smiles kindly moving his horse up to where Fire Soul, and Ocean Soul ride.
"It is quite brave for the two of you to be coming along given the nature of this trip and the perils we may face."

He lets the statement hand as his bow pulls across the strings of his violin.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:37, Wed 30 Mar 2011.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 158 posts
Wed 30 Mar 2011
at 22:22
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"We have been hired by Lady Aya on retainer," answers Ocean Soul. "We're confident in the capabilities of a group of Exalted to protect us, should the need arise," adds Fire soul. Hun continues, "Besides, we're here to assist," "so we'll stay out of actual combat," concludes Poe.

After a moment that stretches almost uncomfortably long, Hun smiles over at Sevastian. "Thanks for your concern, though. We didn't mean to seem rude. We're just...trying to be professional." Apparently, admitting that is not something Poe considers professional, as she brings her horse close enough to Hun to elbow him in the side for saying so.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 113 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 1 Apr 2011
at 02:22
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"Ours is likely to be the uneventful half of the mission, actually," Beatrix says. "If there is violence, that will tell us a great deal in and of itself, and chances are whoever is behind this will not wish to tip their hand." She sighs. "Although I suppose I could be giving them too much credit. After all, this isn't what one would call a subtle or clever strategy for dealing with their problems."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 159 posts
Fri 1 Apr 2011
at 05:19
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"Wouldn't that depend on what the problems are," "and who thinks they're being clever?"
Sevastian
 player, 62 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Fri 1 Apr 2011
at 15:09
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian smiles at Hun and Poe.
"And professional you are my young friends."

He lowers the volume of his tune a bit as Beatrix speaks and looks on thoughtfully as Hun and Poe comment.

OOC: I think I have lost track of the two little ones (if they are that)

So we have Ocean Soul(Hun) and Fire Soul(Poe) ?
Hun is a boy, Poe is a girl?  How old do they look?

This message was last edited by the player at 15:09, Fri 01 Apr 2011.

Sevastian
 player, 64 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Mon 4 Apr 2011
at 15:32
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian looks to Frevrick who has been quite quiet lately.

He turns to Beatrix, his violin still softly playing a tune.
"Perhaps they do not think themselves subtle or cleaver."

He looks to the road ahead of them with wonderment.
"Perhaps they do not believe they have need of such things."



OOC: I know Frevrick's silence is because of the players RL being hecktic.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 162 posts
Tue 5 Apr 2011
at 15:49
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"So, do you believe it to be Falan?" asks Hun.

"We've always had such good relations with them, before," adds Poe.

The two are clearly unnerved by the idea, but trying hard to contain it. As the setting sun lengthens shadows ahead (and a bit to the right) of the riders, the party crests a hill that gives a picturesque overlook of one of the first outlying farmsteads. Its fields stretch out from the base of the hill, neatly tilled and largely harvested. A small pasture surrounds the main farmhouse, with some free-roaming live stock left to fend for itself: a couple cows, a few sheep; if the family owns a yeddim, it must have pulled their cart into town.

((OOC: Perception+Awareness checks, please.))
Sevastian
 player, 65 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Tue 5 Apr 2011
at 19:41
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian takes in the scenic hoping Beatrix will weigh in her thoughts on who may be behind the situation.

His eyes wander over the animals left about, not uncommon.  The dragon wonders if someone might be home that they could ask for lodging for the night.


OOC:
Sevastian rolled 3 successes using 5d10

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 164 posts
Tue 5 Apr 2011
at 19:50
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Actually, there MIGHT be somebody home, now that Sevastian looks. There is some sign of activity in the farmstead itself.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 116 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 6 Apr 2011
at 01:42
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"If they believe that they do not need to be intelligent about what they are doing, then they are sadly--" and she breaks off as she examines the house once they come near it. "Something is making the animals nervous."
Sevastian
 player, 66 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Wed 6 Apr 2011
at 13:58
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"Indeed."
The dragon agrees seemingly having seen something similar to Beatrix.

"Would you have me check it our madam? Or shall we ride up as if we suspect nothing?"
Sevastian makes a great effort to quiet his violin slowly.  At this distance he doubts they could hear the soft tune he was playing, but no need to take chances.  If they did hear it Sevastian didn't want an abrupt stop to tip his hand.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 117 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 8 Apr 2011
at 05:43
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix sighs. "If it is a trap, then there's no sense in letting it go off the way they expect. Let us investigate."

OOC: Sorry I haven't been posting more. Sixteen hour workdays, whee! Fortunately that ends tomorrow.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 118 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 11 Apr 2011
at 23:17
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Putting word to deed, Beatrix goes directly forth to inspect the house.
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 166 posts
Tue 12 Apr 2011
at 14:16
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
As the investigative force from Trademeet starts down, whoever is in the farmhouse ceases activity. The animals, scenting still more unfamiliar people on a sudden shift of the wind, seem to decide that remaining at the far end of their pasture is in their best interests.

With the sun casting long shadows nearly parallel to the road, there is no challenge extended from the house. Had not both Merlin and Beatrix noticed the activity earlier, one might question whether they had been imagining things.

((OOC: Perception+[Investigation or Awareness] if you want to do anything preliminary to simply trying to enter the house. Or, if you do something outside that wouldn't be covered by that, lemme know!))
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 167 posts
Wed 13 Apr 2011
at 04:52
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
The front door seems undisturbed. Of course, with a simple latch like the one on this door, it needn't be disturbed to allow an unauthorized entrant.  The house itself seems dead quiet as the group approaches. There are no people visible, and, if anybody tries the door, it IS properly latched. It would be easy to get inside, though. Maybe whoever's in there closed up behind themselves?
Sevastian
 player, 67 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Wed 13 Apr 2011
at 13:32
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian moves quickly with Beatrix.
The Dragon moves a bit away from the woman hoping to draw attention away from her and the rest.   He approaches the house warily.

"Hello?"
He calls towards the building.

"It is late and I am in need of lodging for the night."

While Sevastians words would ring true, the statement was said only in an attempt to draw out whoever, or whatever, was in the house.


OOC:Per+Inv: 3 successes using 6d10
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 168 posts
Wed 13 Apr 2011
at 21:31
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
There is no answer from within, though as Sevastian moves closer, he can see that one of the window's shutters are slightly ajar. Strange, because the rest of the house is locked up tight. There is no glass in the windows; if they're open to light, they're open to the weather, as well. Big enough, perhaps, for somebody to creep in or out of.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 119 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 14 Apr 2011
at 03:10
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix frowns. "It seems our prospective host has noticed us, and does not wish to be disturbed. I also believe we cannot expect a happy welcome at this point. How sad. I assume this is another of whatever ruffians made off with the good people of this village, so shall we force our way in to deal with them?" The tone of voice she says this in is easily clear enough to be overheard.
Sevastian
 player, 68 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Thu 14 Apr 2011
at 13:52
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian turns to Beatrix, a sly grin on his lips.
"That could be too risky for your personage.  I can simply burn the building down and sort them out when it is over if you would like."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 169 posts
Fri 15 Apr 2011
at 03:31
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
The house does not respond. The animals stare with bovine and ovine vapidity from the far side of the pasture.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 120 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sat 16 Apr 2011
at 16:56
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Bea smirks conspiratorially in response to Sevastian's statement, and turns on the theatrics. "Risky? For moi? But I am Beatrix Leschaye, wealthy socialite and member of the Council of High Traders - surely I have nothing to fear here in Trademeet Dale?"
Captain August Galen
 player, 1 post
Sun 17 Apr 2011
at 17:32
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
(OOC: Perception + Awareness & 1st Awareness Excellency
13:02, Today: Captain August Galen rolled 3 successes using 12d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Per+Awar find what's going on inside.
6 Motes spent.)


A bush moves quickly towards the house, stops, and sits still for a moment.

The bush then slinks over to the window that is the easiest to enter, and tries to break in.

(OOC: Dexterity + Larceny & 2nd Larceny Excellency
6 successes
13:30, Today: Captain August Galen rolled 5 successes using 10d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Bush tries to break an entering. 1 Willp. 
2 Motes spent.)

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 171 posts
Mon 18 Apr 2011
at 00:40
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
The easiest window to break in would be the one that's already been broken into, but it's also right next to the door where Beatrix and Sevastian and their companions are gathered and having a needlessly loud conversation. The bush itself can't see, but anybody lurking therein certainly could tell that there is a figure in the deeper shadows of the unlit farm house. There are other windows, each quite simple to break and enter, however, as the only thing securing them is their latched-from-the-inside shutters. They don't have any sort of covering if the shutters are opened.

From within, after Beatrix's proclamation of identity, comes an amused-sounding woman's voice. "Am I to take it that you are a figure of authority in Trademeet Dale, then?" she calls out. A wood-on-wood scraping can be heard just to the other side of the door. "You could just have asked that I come out, but I'll humor you anyway. Unbar the outer lock and open the door slowly."
Sevastian
 player, 69 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Tue 19 Apr 2011
at 14:33
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
An odd look comes over Sevastians face.  He had expected a burglar or some manner of miscreant, not someone who would believe they had a measure of control in this situation.
"If the lady is able might that she come out on her own."
The dragon states with as much friendliness as he can muster with this very odd turn of events.


OOC: Let me know if I have miss understood what is going on.  The door isn't actually barred from the outside right?  Just latched?

OOC from the ST: You are correct. It is latched, but it's likely that it could be opened from the inside or the outside. If there's an inner bar, the lady's implied that it's been lifted.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:17, Tue 19 Apr 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 122 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 19 Apr 2011
at 16:11
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix expends visible effort to ignore someone actually trying to use a bush as camouflage while moving. Instead, she comments on the other farce; "Dear lady, surely you are able to come out under your own power?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 172 posts
Tue 19 Apr 2011
at 16:37
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"Capable?" comes the voice with just a hint of a trill of laughter, "Certainly. Willing...well, that is another question. Why should I step out of the protection of this edifice when I do not know you from a random pair of brigands out to raid a humble farmstead? No, I think you shall open the door, and we will have a nice...civil...discussion."
Sevastian
 player, 72 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Tue 19 Apr 2011
at 17:09
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian hopped off his horse and handed the reins to one of the dynamic duo then made his way to the door.

The inner workings of Sevastians mind told him this seemed odd.  But standing here arguing over who would open the door did them little good.  So he decided to take the risk to get this meeting moving along.

With an agile left hand he grabs the outer door handle and 'slowly' swings the door open, attempting to keep as much of the door between him and the inside of the building as possible.


OOC:
per+aware - 1 success using 5d10 to notice what is inside.
Should he not be attacked his is going to try and quickly assertain what is going on/has happened in this building. (All from the door)
per+invest - 3 successes using 6d10 to get an idea of what happened here.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 173 posts
Tue 19 Apr 2011
at 17:53
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Though she is shrouded in the heavy shadows of a fully-shuttered building, Sevastian can tell that the woman inside is of middling height, and wearing something of a cape or cloak that makes it impossible to tell more than that about her silhouette from the neck down. Her head is uncovered, and her hair falls unbound past her shoulders. It is brown in the little bit caught by the dimming light that breaks into the house through the now-open door. Most important, though, is the glint of light off the point of a crossbow bolt she has trained on the door. She doesn't fire it, but she is obviously ready. "There, that wasn't so hard, was it? What brings your 'august' presence out here, 'milady?'" she asks.

Sevastian's scan of the interior room reveals that it's smaller than the building might indicate. It probably has several rooms, and maybe even makes use of the attic as living space. This main room seems to be a kitchen, and looks to be only mildly disarrayed.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:58, Sat 29 Oct 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 124 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 19 Apr 2011
at 18:14
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix frowns. "One moment please, Sevastian. This woman is a criminal; I know the owners of this farm and she is not one of them. She is thus, at the very least, trespassing. You are under no obligation to do what she says, to help her in any way, nor to give her the benefit of the doubt. She should be proving to us that her intentions are not untoward, not the other way around, for she is the one behaving suspiciously."

"Now," she says to the woman, drawing a long, slender saber from her side, "You will put your weapon down immediately. We are delegated representatives of the law of Trademeet, and you are not helping yourself by making this feeble threat against us. This is especially so when the reason for my 'august' presence being 'out here' is that we have discovered that many of the people of the Dale have been abducted from their farm homes, and are looking for those responsible. In light of this, your position, being here in a farm home emptied of its rightful inhabitants, is a poor one. You will tell us who you are, you will tell us what you are doing here, and you will do so immediately."

This message was last edited by the player at 18:16, Tue 19 Apr 2011.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 174 posts
Tue 19 Apr 2011
at 18:24
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"And yet, I have no reason to believe your claims of being the local law," she says, not quite lowering the crossbow, but at least turning it a bit aside so a sudden twitch wouldn't send its lethal bolt into vulnerable flesh. "Besides, law is useless without force to back it up. So about the only convincing thing you have is that length of bronze in your hand. Just as all I have is this wooden bundle of tensile energy.

"However,"
she goes on, shrugging and lowering the crossbow all the way to her side, "If you ARE who and what you claim to be, you might have some answers I need. Step away from the door, and I will come out. At least then we will not wreck these good farmers' home if it comes to violence. But I will not be entering sword's reach."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 125 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 19 Apr 2011
at 18:59
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"Listen to you," says Beatrix, sounding almost amused. "Behaving as though you have some manner of high ground giving you the right to ask questions and make demands. You will answer us first, and then we will see if we care about what you want."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 175 posts
Tue 19 Apr 2011
at 19:05
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"I have the better-fortified ground," is her response, <darkgreen>"and 'rights' are meaningless in the face of force. Regardless, we can have this discussion where we are, if you prefer. I am not entering into your reach. Ask your questions, and I will decide if you are worth my time to ask any of my own." The crossbow remains at her side. It's hard to read her posture with her cape obscuring all but her vaguely blob-like outline.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 126 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 19 Apr 2011
at 19:12
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"I've already asked my questions," says Beatrix. "Who are you, and what are you doing here in someone else's home?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 176 posts
Tue 19 Apr 2011
at 19:16
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"I am a...trouble shooter, and I am investigating the intentions and activities of Trademeet Dale," she says evenly. "I figured I'd start in the outlying areas. Now, who are you, Beatrix, and what kind of influence do you have in this region?"
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 127 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 19 Apr 2011
at 20:06
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"So you are a spy," Beatrix says dryly. "Splendid. On behalf of whom are you 'investigating' us?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 177 posts
Tue 19 Apr 2011
at 20:17
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
She chuckles, "That would be telling. Come now, what I'm asking you can't possibly be as much information as I've already given, Beatrix. I thought you people were traders. Trade me answers for answers. As a 'spy,' I obviously want information. Since you're asking me questions, so do you. I am sure we can come to...how does the Guild put it? An 'equitable arrangement?'"
Captain August Galen
 player, 2 posts
Thu 21 Apr 2011
at 09:21
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
The bush slinks to the outside wall, near the open window, and sits silently.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:43, Thu 21 Apr 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 128 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 24 Apr 2011
at 16:47
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix frowns. "Feh," she feh's. "If the Guild believed in equity, they would not trade in slaves. However, that is beside the point. Ask your questions, and we will see if they ought to be answered."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 181 posts
Sun 24 Apr 2011
at 19:26
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"Really?" There is genuine surprise in the woman's voice. "I am no merchant, but I had always heard how profitable slave trading was," she comments off-handedly, utterly comfortable with her current situation. "But, my question: What business has Trademeet with the beastmen to the north?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:55, Mon 25 Apr 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 129 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 26 Apr 2011
at 03:53
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix quirks an eyebrow quizzically. "Well then. Either you are a pitifully inept spy, or you know something." She taps the back of her saber against her shoulder for a moment before continuing, "For the moment, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know something. Trademeet is generally not on friendly terms with the beastman tribes under Ma Ha Suchi, for we are civilized and thus something that they are taught to hate. Although we do not receive as much attention from them as our neighbor Falan, who is closer to them. In fact, the recent agreement I negotiated with the Seventh Legion is primarily intended to ward them off; the Exalted of the Legion are better suited and equipped to deal with them than the mortal soldiers and mercenaries we normally have available."

Beatrix glares into the eyes of the woman in the shadows, and she levels her sword at the spy, her bearing becoming stern and commanding even as she quickly take on an imposing, larger-than life quality. "Now," she continues, her voice loud and clear, her tone cold, "I believe I have answered your questions. You will come out here, you will put away your weapon, and you will answer whatever questions we may have for you. You will begin with telling me any and all reasons you may have for thinking that Trademeet has business of any sort with the beastmen tribes."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 182 posts
Tue 26 Apr 2011
at 04:19
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
The woman chuckles appreciatively, as if sharing in a joke Beatrix had just told. She lowers her crossbow, though not enough to cause the bolt to fall out of the cradle, and steps into the nearly-dead light. Her hair is dark enough to appear black, but there remains enough light to discern that she is not particularly tall and her clothing is well-cut, though of rough materials: furs and leathers, mostly. Her cape is especially striking, clinging to her arms when she shrugs it off her shoulders, a heavy and flowing thing. "No?" she asks with what might be mock incredulity, "then why are they stepping up their raids, but not turning over more fodder for Ma Ha Suchi's breeding pits?"

She looks over the others, even glancing at the bush briefly, surprised at its presence. "They seem to be getting more wealth than usual. Nothing truly impossible, but still...suspicious." She looks up at Beatrix, and narrows here eyes, tilting her head a bit as if trying to see something, before shrugging. "I suppose you would know your traders' practices best, though. I was hoping you could tell me what you were buying from them. If it's not you...well. I will have to look elsewhere."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 130 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Tue 26 Apr 2011
at 05:07
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix holds her hand out to the side in a shrug. "So you don't know anything after all. A pity." Resuming her more serious demeanor, she continues, "If we are buying anything from the beastman tribes, I assure you it is not the work of my company, nor any of those I have dealings with. I doubt that there is anything they would be willing to sell that we would also be willing to buy from them, regardless."

"As to the raids and the particulars of to what extent they're feeding their assorted monstrous practices, I do not claim to have particular insight to how the tribes set policies and quotas," she says, her lip curling as she says the words as a sign of the 'breeding pits' being a subject of obvious distaste. "By your implication, in fact, you would seem to know rather more than I do. I would suppose that you've been paying a great deal of attention to them in order to learn what they are up to. And that is why you are going to start telling me what you know, now. Isn't it? I recommend that you begin with how much more they are raiding, and where."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 183 posts
Tue 26 Apr 2011
at 05:20
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Turning to Sevastian, the woman asks incredulously, "Are all people from Trademeet this rude and arrogant?"

She shakes her head. "It seems you might be of no use to me, after all," she sighs, "But in the name of goodwill, and on the off chance, I'll answer: they mostly raid your eastern neighbor. That particular well doesn't have water so...rich...as they seem to be gathering, lately. And yet, they seem to have less of the traditional tributes to offer. Not much less, but it does seem odd."

Walking through the partial circle that has formed about the door (if Beatrix and Sevastian don't refuse to let her by), she shrugs, her cape lifting dramatically with her arms as she pops some tension out of her shoulders and neck. "So, then, what brings you out here? I suppose talking to other Trademeet people will not get me any more information, assuming you're not hiding something you know," she says with resignation.
Sevastian
 player, 73 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Tue 26 Apr 2011
at 13:18
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian looks to be pondering something as he watches the two women speak.  Usually he would be silent, but Frevrick had been unusually silent as of late and Sevastan wasn't assigned to watch Beatrix because his tea making abilities.
"Forgive my interruption my lady."


The dragon looks to the woman in the doorway.  He smiles kindly.
"You seem to know much about the workings of Ma Ha Suchi and his beastmen."

He lets the statement stand but moves on quickly.
"So, you are investigating why the beastmen have stepped up their raids on Falan but are not giving Ma Ha Suchi as much tribute as one would expect from such raids."

The scion of dragons turns to Beatrix and smiles with a wink hoping she would not be angry with him for what he was about to divulge.
"From your comments madam spy I would guess that they are now newly rich in slaves."

He turns back to the woman, not wishing to see what is surly anger on Beatrix's face.
"How interesting since we are investigating why our eastern border is suddenly becoming less populous."

He gestures to her with a grin.
"Which is why we are very concerned to find an armed person we do not know in a ransacked house."

The dragon pauses to let the woman respond and he hoped said response would go well.  He had, after all, just indicated his belief that she works for Ma Ha Suchi


OOC: Sevastian is not blocking the door, he is simply holding it up standing so that he can see both women. (And jump between them should the woman raise the cross bow.

I imagined Beatrix still on her horse maybe what 3 yards from the house or so.  Correct me if I am wrong.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:05, Wed 27 Apr 2011.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 184 posts
Tue 26 Apr 2011
at 18:47
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
She grins, a white crescent in the quarter-light, and raises a finger in emphasis, her cape sliding down from her arm like it was attached. "Ah!" she exclaims, "But that's just the thing; their wealth is not in chattel, human or otherwise. They have stumbled onto more of the luxurious trappings of hated civilization. Not enough to warrant the great wolf culling them, not yet, but it is still noteworthy.

Where, praytell, might they be getting such goods?"

Sevastian
 player, 75 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Wed 27 Apr 2011
at 15:39
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian stands bewildered for a moment.  This new information didn't explain why Trademeet was missing so many citizens.
"If I may, have you been to Falan yet?"

This message was last edited by the player at 22:05, Wed 27 Apr 2011.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 187 posts
Wed 27 Apr 2011
at 15:43
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"Why? Do you suspect Falanian nobility of bribing the beastmen to leave them be?" she asks slowly, puzzling out what she thinks Sevastian is getting at.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:43, Wed 27 Apr 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 133 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 29 Apr 2011
at 16:32
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix hmms. "Bribing the barbarians? It is certainly within the realm of possibility. I'm still a bit more worried about the possibility of them kidnapping the citizens of the Dale, however. If what you say is true and the barbarian tribes have no sudden influx of people, that rules out the only other possible culprit in the area, at least that is known. I suppose they could be needing fresh labor to make up the shortage in actual wealth created by the bribes. Regardless, we will see when we get there to investigate."

"As for you," she continues, more directly addressing the as-yet unnamed spy, "I believe this is a clever possibility that you have come up with, and you have shared useful information, as well. That you are even able to know what the beastmen tribes are doing means that you have considerable talent as a scout. Would you perhaps be willing to pool knowledge with us so that we may get to the bottom of this and more expediently resolve both of our investigations?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 188 posts
Fri 29 Apr 2011
at 16:48
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
The figure - little more than a darker silhouette against the grey-blue of early night, now - thinks quietly for a moment, cape draped over one arm as she taps her chin with one finger. "Hm... assuming I don't find you've lied to me about Trademeet's involvement, I believe you're right. I have one more thing to investigate, but then I will catch up with you. Where are you headed?" she asks, all matter-of-fact business.
Sevastian
 player, 76 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Mon 2 May 2011
at 15:35
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian looks to Beatrix who remains silent.

He smiles kindly and looks to the "spy".
"We head for Falan to inquire of their ruling body as to the wear abouts of our missing farmers."

He tilts his head slightly.
"What is it that you mean to investigate? We may be able to aid you. If not in person maybe at least with information?"
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 193 posts
Tue 3 May 2011
at 01:36
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
She smiles - a disturbingly bright slash in her night-shadowed face - and says coldly, "I will gladly catch up with you, then, as soon as I've made sure that the missing slaves cannot be found amongst the goods available in Trademeet Dale itself. If not, then there may be some relation between our two goals." With that, she whirls in an impressive flurry of cape, and stalks off into the deeper darkness of the night.
Sevastian
 player, 78 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Tue 3 May 2011
at 18:22
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
After the woman has departed Sevastian turns to Beatrix.
"My apologies madam.  I did not mean to give so much away without your permission."

He looks to where the woman disappeared and then back.
"I simply did not think she would talk otherwise."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 136 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 4 May 2011
at 14:35
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Before the woman slinks off, Beatrix interrupts her.

"Before you go, there are still two matters to which we must attend. First, you have not yet told us your name. Or an alias you go by, or whatever it is you prefer for those who are to be working with you."

"Secondly, before you go slinking off, I should let you know that the sale of slaves if illegal in Trademeet. Should you find such activity, as you apparently expect to, please contact the appropriate authorities and inform them so that they can deal with the perpetrators."
Captain August Galen
 player, 3 posts
Wed 4 May 2011
at 17:00
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
To the untrained observer, the bush sits and sways in any wind that blows through. This is as it should be, for there is no Captain August Galen. The Captain has given over to The Method.

The Captain can feel the sunlight being absorbed and turned into nutrients in it's green leaves. Food flows up it's roots into it's trunk. Bugs crawl through it's stems and eat of it's leaves. The Captain is the bush, and The Bush is not a Captain.

Why was The Bush listening so intently to the warm blood's conversation again? Bushes do not listen, for they have no ears. This is folly. Wait. Why was The Bush waiting on a deck? It's roots have been cut off! Nooooo...! If only it could jump to the gloriously wet soil! But bushes can not jump!

Ouch. Leg cramp. Wait.

Bushes do not have leg cramps. 'Thus, I, The Bush, can not be a bush' reasons the Bush, and it remembers that it is in fact Captain August Galen, one of the most brilliant and cool pirates ever. Yes. For who else could be so brilliant of an actor as to convince themselves they are a plant.

And so the Captain continues to have such brilliant thoughts while boldly observing the free intelligence.
Silent Thunder Leaves
 NPC, 1 post
 Great Scout
 Inept Spy
Wed 4 May 2011
at 19:29
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Turning at the question, the woman's surprise is only concealed by the lack of light. "My name?" she asks, as if vaguely puzzled why that is of import, "I am known as Silent Thunder Leaves. If it is as you say, and I do discover slaves in Trademeet, who would the 'appropriate authorities' be to contact?" She sounds as if the very idea that slavery could be illegal is not just ludicrous, but patently impossible. She has not noticed the bush's leg cramp, even as it stretches to alleviate it.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 137 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 4 May 2011
at 22:20
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix nods. "If you find slaves being sold, please reporting it to Captain Clouseau. He is a competent man, and above reproach." A pause. "Just make certain that it is the Captain, Bailey, and not his brother, Jacques. It is... probably best not to deal with Jacques."

After Silent Thunder does in fact Leave, Bea turns to Sevastian. "Do not be troubled, it is quite alright. I believe we came out ahead in any event." Walking over to the bush, she puts her foot down on the outstretched leg - the one with the cramp in it. "Now, as for you. I'm afraid the game is up, and it's time for you to introduce yourself as well."
Captain August Galen
 player, 4 posts
Thu 5 May 2011
at 00:25
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix LeSchaye:
Walking over to the bush, she puts her foot down on the outstretched leg - the one with the cramp in it. "Now, as for you. I'm afraid the game is up, and it's time for you to introduce yourself as well."


"Ouch! ...I am but a humble bush, my lady." states the bush, with bold modesty. "I did not mean to eavesdrop, but I felt it would be impertinent for a bush to walk away and distract everyone with the majesty of my gate."

"We are such a noble breed that if we walk, it is with a strut the god's envy. And that is why we seldom do."
The bush then begins to slink away from under LeSchaye's foot & gaze.
Sevastian
 player, 79 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Thu 5 May 2011
at 00:28
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"O humble bush."
Sevastian nearly chuckles.

"Might I inquire as to what brings one of your noble breed to this farmstead?"
The dragon gestures to the "humble" dwelling.
Captain August Galen
 player, 5 posts
Thu 5 May 2011
at 10:23
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
In reply to Sevastian (msg #60):

"I seek justice!" Booms the mighty bush, who's leaves tremble with it's conviction. "And... I flee grubs." It adds in a lower voice.

"But look at that time! I have to go, and find justice! Good day." And with that, the bush tries vainly to flee to the woods.

However, the Captain's brilliant bush disguise remains trapped under LeSchaye's foot, and stays in place while the Captain tries to tip-toe away, revealing the marvelous mariner in all its sneaking glory! The Captain feels the disguise slip off, and stares at the two dilettantes for a second.

Than the mariner marauder of the mainlands boldly stands up straight, fists to the hips, and boastfully laughs.

"Ho, ho, ho! You are both fortunate! For I am here to help you! I am... (dramatic pause)" the Captain wraps it's red cape around with one hand before throwing it back in a big reveal. The Captain has a basket of rose petals that are tossed in bunches into the breeze.

"...Captain August Galen! Scourge of the skies! The mighty maritime marine! The audacious areal argonaut of the endless blue! Both a lover and a fighter! A free lover, and a lover of freedom!" There is a pause as Galen awaits shock and applauds. A tear is wiped away from the crimson cloaked brigand.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:49, Thu 05 May 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 138 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 5 May 2011
at 13:25
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix quirks an eyebrow. "Am I to assume from your... introduction, that you are in possession of an airship?" The obvious alternative, of course, would be that the man is an idiot who picked those titles for no reason.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:25, Thu 05 May 2011.

Fire and Ocean Soul
 NPC, 1 post
Fri 6 May 2011
at 14:18
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"Forgive us for interrupting," begins Fire Soul, "But perhaps we should continue this inside?" finishes Ocean Soul.

"It's not like the place has not already been entered, and we might want to make sure she didn't do any obvious damage."

"Not to mention that it will be easier to converse with a brightly lit space than out here in the dark."
Sevastian
 player, 80 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Fri 6 May 2011
at 14:25
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian quickly enters the home and begins tidying up.  He takes stock of anything that might seem "odd" ... like bodies, blood, or land mines.

OOC:While doing this he is attempting to find anything "funny" or anything that might be a clue as to what happened.

per+invest roll = You failed (no successes) using 6d10
well... crap.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:45, Fri 06 May 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 139 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 6 May 2011
at 14:26
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix turns to the captain. "What say you, Captain? Will you join us inside?"
Captain August Galen
 player, 7 posts
Sun 8 May 2011
at 15:28
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix LeSchaye:
Beatrix quirks an eyebrow. "Am I to assume from your... introduction, that you are in possession of an airship?" The obvious alternative, of course, would be that the man is an idiot who picked those titles for no reason.


What features of August that are able to be seen look devastated. "You... you've never heard of me, have you?" The sad eyes look like they are about to cry. "I... I'm... forgotten..." The Captain falls to the ground, devastated by this revelation. "I'm not famous at all anymore, am I...?" The voice is pitiful, like a child.

August suddenly shacks off this melancholy moment, and jumps to attention, and explodes with excited hyperbole. "Air ship? Are you asking me, Captain August Galen, if I had an airship? Of course I had an air ship!"

Beatrix LeSchaye:
Beatrix turns to the captain. "What say you, Captain? Will you join us inside?"


"Why certainly!" And the fool strides regally into the house.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:30, Sun 08 May 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 140 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sat 14 May 2011
at 23:48
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix frowns as she reaches for the lantern near the doorway; when she'd invited the Captain in, she'd been hoping he was someone with an airship. In the present tense. Where it might be useful.

Ah well.

Upon getting the lantern lit and setting it on a table (apparently she has been here before), she says. "So. What is all this about then, Captain? What brings you out here at this time?"
Sevastian
 player, 82 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Mon 16 May 2011
at 21:19
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian quickly cleans out the hearth and lights a small fire then sets a kettle (which just happened to be in his bag) on for tea.

He continues to clean about waiting for the kettle to whistle.  He continued to search about for clues to what might have happened here.

OOC:per+invest 1 success using 5d10

This message was last edited by the player at 21:39, Mon 16 May 2011.

Segev Stormlord
 GM, 199 posts
Mon 16 May 2011
at 22:14
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
The house is neatly packed up, save for a few obvious evidences of a very recent search, likely by Silent Thunder Leaves. It looks like whoever lives here, though, cleaned up and thought they might have secured their humble domicile before leaving quite voluntarily. It is a cheery enough cottage, once the fire is going and the lamps are lit, with some home-made quilts serving as table clothes and a homey sort of decor.
Captain August Galen
 player, 10 posts
Tue 17 May 2011
at 16:54
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix LeSchaye:
Upon getting the lantern lit and setting it on a table (apparently she has been here before), she says. "So. What is all this about then, Captain? What brings you out here at this time?"


The Captain looks about while answering. "I am here... to steel what is stolen." The mariner's face turns back. "I'm an abolitionist, madam. I take slaves and release free men, if they want it."

August kneels down to look under the table and any other furniture in the home. "My services are at your disposal, if all three of you share my goals. I... do not have an airship, but I have no need." August straightens up and looks back. "I have something much better then an airship." The new creases on the scarf covering the Captains face hint at a wide smile.

OOC:
[Per+Awareness check
12:52, Today: Captain August Galen rolled 1 success using 6d10 with the White Wolf Exalted system with a target of 7. Awarness check.]

This message was last edited by the player at 16:55, Tue 17 May 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 141 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 18 May 2011
at 13:55
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"Well," says Beatrix. "A laudable aim, and one I will gladly help in, but you have picked an odd place to start your work; Trademeet does not condone slavery. However, we can certainly point you in the right direction."

"As to the other," she says, "what, if I may ask, do you have that you prefer to an airship?"
Sevastian
 player, 83 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Wed 18 May 2011
at 14:09
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian seems to dance around the room as the water begins to boil.  Swiftly he pulls a number of items from his pack and in moments the Captain and Madam LeSchaye find cups of steaming tea in front of them.

The dragon is soon after handing small cups to the little guides.
"This should warm your hearts."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 142 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 18 May 2011
at 21:43
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix inhales the aroma of the tea before sipping. She 'mmm's appreciatively. "This is excellent, Sevastian. Thank you."
Fire and Ocean Soul
 NPC, 2 posts
Thu 19 May 2011
at 03:28
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
The boy and girl accept the tea one after the other, exchange a look, and sip simultaneously. The grin on Fire Soul's face is polite, though Ocean Soul's is more genuine. "Thank you, Sevastian," says Fire Soul, her gratitude more genuine than her smile, which does also become more sincere as she meets the Dragonblooded's eyes.

"It's delicious," adds Ocean Soul, who's expression is truly comforted. Though his smile becomes a touch - just a touch - more strained as Poe grins at Sevastian.
Sevastian
 player, 84 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Thu 19 May 2011
at 18:12
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian smiles at the two guides, his dark blue eyes seem to twinkle a bit.
"You are most welcome."

With that he moves behind Madam LeSchaye to hear the captains explanation of things better then airships.

As he passes his bag, almost as if by reflex, he retrieves his violin and begins playing a soft tune.
Captain August Galen
 player, 11 posts
Fri 20 May 2011
at 10:55
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"My thanks," says The Captain, with a polite head bowed and hands out to receive the cup of tea Sevastian offers.

Beatrix LeSchaye:
"As to the other," she says, "what, if I may ask, do you have that you prefer to an airship?"


"Oh, I have, in my possession, a rather unique & odd vessel. It has a fairly easy time traveling through various elements. For example, it is both amphibious and aerial." There is something squirming and moving under August's cloak. The Captain seems a little put off by it. "Down," August whispers to it, but the thing under the cloak seems to thrash wildly, until it releases itself, and flops out onto the floor with a loud thud.

It is a particular thing, clearly resembling a patchwork of different animals. It is very fluffy, with features both feline and rabitt like, with very long, floppy ears extending from it's head. It's back has a strange, fur covered shell of sorts, and it has over-sized awkward rear feat extending from under it.

It's large, dark eyes lazily look about, and then zoom in on Beatrix. "Moof," it half-barks, half-chirps in her direction, then pulls itself off the ground and walks over to her, attempting to sniff.

August looks down at it scornfully. "I told you, she's not a princess." The Captain reaches down and scoops it up. It immediately starts to squirm. "Impossible. You are impossible." The Captain lectures the creature, then sighs. "This little monster is Carabas. They poor dear has consumed too many fairytales, and thinks you are a princess. It likes princesses."

The creature stops struggling, and pitifully looks up at Lady LeSchaye pitifully, begging with a tiny, sad meow. The Captain's eyes roll. "By the Silver Lady... I don't suppose you would want to pet this pesky, mixed up thing? It's an alpha pet, so it's ludicrously friendly to people." Carabas looks back at August and 'humphs' back reproachfully.

This message was last edited by the player at 10:57, Fri 20 May 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 143 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Fri 20 May 2011
at 12:23
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix examines the... critter, briefly. "I do not see how a scratching behind the ears could hurt. Come, little one," She says, offering her hand to the science experiment gone horribly wrong.

"As to mistaking me for a princess, well, it happens. This would not be the first time today, even. In fairness, I am the rough equivalent of one in Trademeet. Our system of government is unconventional and tends to throw others off, so misunderstandings are common."
Captain August Galen
 player, 12 posts
Wed 25 May 2011
at 10:41
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Carabas eagerly cuddles up to the offered hand. It mews and chirps quite talkatively, offering it's awkward ears, and then it's belly.

Beatrix LeSchaye:
"In fairness, I am the rough equivalent of one in Trademeet."


August rases an eye brow. "Wait. So you are a Princess? Uhhhhh... I didn't know that. Um. I wouldn't have brought Carabas if I knew."

Carabas opens it's eyes with excitement. It's comparable to the wide eyed look a cat gets when performing a particular mischievous prank.

"No!" Shouts Galen. "Bad Carabas! Stop thinking you can do that! This is not a fairytale!"

This message was last edited by the player at 10:45, Wed 25 May 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 145 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 1 Jun 2011
at 14:04
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix smirks as she drinks her tea. "No, not a princess. We have no royalty in  Trademeet. This is why it works so well. However, as one of the wealthiest merchants in the Dale, I have a seat on the Council, and a hand in deciding legislation."
Captain August Galen
 player, 14 posts
Thu 2 Jun 2011
at 11:00
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg #79):

August looks quite revealed. "Wew! OK. I was worried for a second. It get's old trying to save princesses from dragons. I have real world political B.S. to deal with, and it's a huge time consumer. O.K."

Carabas looks down, apparently upset. It turns it's butt to Beatrix, like a cat that is upset it's owner left for several days. It's head goes into it's shell.

"Oh, don't be that way, Carabas. I'm sure we can find some nice princes for you to capture... next season. So," the Captain begins to address the others in the house. "This room is a bit disconcerting. I don't see any signs of a struggle. I'm concerned we may be dealing with a force that tricks or seduces people into slavery."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 146 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 2 Jun 2011
at 15:32
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix has another sip of her tea before saying, "Thankfully, I know the people of this house. They are currently all in attendance at a festival taking place in the city. Those houses where people have disappeared without explanation are a bit further east."

She smiles. "We will pass by on our way to where we are going, and then we shall investigate." A pause. "From what I have heard from advance scouts, there were signs of a struggle at the villages where people have gone missing, and so the evidence does not currently support your theory. Which is something of a relief; it would be much simpler to deal with a band of thugs than something capable of seducing people into slavery."

"Neither of the scouts, mind you, were trained in investigation, so we ought to have a more thorough look once we get there. And then we will see what we see. In the meantime, if you would like to learn what we have found so far, I will gladly share all I know."
Sevastian
 player, 85 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Thu 2 Jun 2011
at 18:30
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian moves to the side of the table, his violin still playing a soft tune.
"Madam, should I prepare for us to stay in this humble abode this night?"
Captain August Galen
 player, 15 posts
Fri 3 Jun 2011
at 15:58
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg #81):

August's eye widen with interest. "I see. I have been going off of bad assumptions. You're level of connections is impressive. I see why you have risen to such a level of influence & prominence."

In reply to Sevastian (msg #82):

The Captain drinks the soothing tea and listens to the mastered music Sevastian weaves in the air.

"Please forgive me if I speak out of turn, but perhaps we should try to pursue the slavers in the dark of night? It's not an ideal time to do so, but I am concerned they might gain even more ground if we allow them the time. Though I am quite tempted to enjoy the fine drink and music you can make, young master."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:00, Fri 03 June 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 147 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sun 5 Jun 2011
at 14:23
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Bea sips her tea, enjoying the flavor. She would need to find some way to wheedle the recipe out of Sevastian later on. As she drinks, Captain Galen asks his question, and once he is done she replies; "No forgiveness is needed, Captain, as there is no turn to speak out of."

Leaning back in her chair and crossing her long legs, she continues. "As to your question, the current plan is to allow others much swifter than ourselves to do the actual pursuing of the perpetrators; this they are doing even as we speak. We are bound for Falan, whom we have reason to believe is involved in these troubles, and we aim to confront them politically in hopes of shaking loose those responsible."
Sevastian
 player, 88 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Fri 24 Jun 2011
at 15:06
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian smiles and he changes the tone of his music to a more mysterious song.
"Madam has many who work for her.  Much has already been handle.  We are simply heading for Falan and waiting for word from our companions."
Captain August Galen
 player, 16 posts
Tue 28 Jun 2011
at 16:02
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian:
Sevastian smiles and he changes the tone of his music to a more mysterious song.
"Madam has many who work for her.  Much has already been handle.  We are simply heading for Falan and waiting for word from our companions."


"Ah. I see. Should we sleep while one of us takes a turn watching out for any trouble?"
Sevastian
 player, 89 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Wed 29 Jun 2011
at 15:18
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
The dragon makes a meal composed of things he finds in the house and the supplies they have brought with them.  The food is simple, but effective.  Sevastian sets some aside for himself as he begins to setup the sleeping arrangements as the others eat.

Sevastian sets up places for everyone to sleep, including their new friend the captain.  He sets up the house for Lady LeSchaye and puts up tents for the rest.

The young man sets up a tent for himself and his little brother Frevrick.  He positions it so he will hear anyone entering or leaving the little cottage.

OOC: At this point I assume there is a little small talk, which everyone is more then welcome to post :-), then everyone will retire to bed as we await Merlin to post his arrival.
Captain August Galen
 player, 19 posts
Thu 30 Jun 2011
at 00:20
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian:
The dragon makes a meal composed of things he finds in the house and the supplies they have brought with them.  The food is simple, but effective.  Sevastian sets some aside for himself as he begins to setup the sleeping arrangements as the others eat.

Sevastian sets up places for everyone to sleep, including their new friend the captain.


The Captain thanks the young man for the food & lodgings he prepares.

Sevastian:
OOC: At this point I assume there is a little small talk, which everyone is more then welcome to post :-), then everyone will retire to bed as we await Merlin to post his arrival.


While getting ready to take the first watch, Galen muses a concern. "Has anyone ever... dealt with an Anathema before? I must admit, I am concerned one or two is behind all these strange going on."

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 153 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 30 Jun 2011
at 13:47
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix has long since finished her meal and is working on some of the rations in a deceptively dainty manner as Galen states his worry. "Well," she hedges, "I suppose that would depend on one's definition of 'Anathema'. I certainly doubt there are Raksha behind it, as it doesn't seem their style. Although, then again, anything can be a Raksha's style if it decides it is. I also doubt demons are somehow trying to ruin relations between Falan and Trademeet."
Sevastian
 player, 90 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Thu 30 Jun 2011
at 14:40
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian smiles and adds.
"Per our conversation with that young lady earlier I would guess that Ma Ha Suchi is also not behind this.  She seemed more concerned with what the tribes were not giving the great best then us.  Were he behind it all I would have expected her to be more worried about us."
Segev Stormlord
 GM, 220 posts
Sun 3 Jul 2011
at 18:41
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Eventually, everybody beds down and gets some sleep, leaving only those on watch to endure hours of loneliness. Sometime, in those strange hours between the still of midnight and the first few pre-dawn birds' chirps, Sevastian finds himself up. It would have been unacceptable to expect those he serves to take so inconvenient a watch, and Freverick is yet too young.

Suddenly, he feels something strike his left ear, somewhat painfully. Turning around, he doesn't see anything there. The rush of wind on his face causes him to turn once more to notice an armored figure in a black as night cloak, sitting a short distance from the pretty-boy butler. The figure is in a rather relaxed position, waiting for Sevastian to do something.
Sevastian
 player, 91 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Tue 5 Jul 2011
at 03:24
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian raises a hand to his ear to check for blood. He smiles at the figure and makes sure he is ready should they move to strike.

The dragon blood smiles at the new arrival, hoping they don't mean to fight.
"Is there something I can do for you on this fine evening?"
Merlin
 player, 131 posts
Tue 5 Jul 2011
at 06:26
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
In reply to Sevastian (msg #92):
A somewhat muffled, but still familiar voice from the figure says, "Well if you might start in on breakfast early I certainly would appreciate it Sevastian. When the others wake I have a story to tell. I hope the camp can be moved quickly for we have a journey ahead of us to get to the kidnapped peasants to negotiate their freedom."

This message was last edited by the player at 06:27, Tue 05 July 2011.

Sevastian
 player, 92 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Tue 5 Jul 2011
at 14:52
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"Ah, well met good sir."
The dragon says, relief in his tone.

"I certainly can Mr. Merlin."
With that Sevastian enters the house, quietly, and stokes the fire in the hearth.

He would love nothing more then to ask Merlin all about his travel, but odds are that is a sorry the man won't care to tell twice, and Sevastian knows Madam LeSchaye will want to hear it.

Sevastian returns outside with two mugs of water and two plats of food.  One might note how skilled the butler is at carrying so many unwieldy objects.
"Here you are sir.  I figure if I will take my meal in your good company and then I can begin packing the supplies while the rest eat."

He quickly downs his meal.
"Do you think it would do us well to cut our their sleep short?  Are those who were captured in a great deal of danger?"
Merlin
 player, 132 posts
Tue 5 Jul 2011
at 18:41
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
In reply to Sevastian (msg #94):

"With my pitiful skills I have negotiated the soldiers holding them to stay where they are. They know another Exalted watches them as they have all seen Aya. Their leaders know that I will kill them all if they move, for you see I captured all three without so much as harming a man in the camp....well except the one under the rock."

Merlin eats heartily after removing his mask. Here and there he looks out into the night at some sound or some movement, but as of yet nothing has kept his attention other than the food.

"This is excellent. Certainly better than berries and squirrel."



OOC: I am fine with the others waking up anytime.
Sevastian
 player, 93 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Tue 5 Jul 2011
at 18:55
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian smiles.
"I find most things are better then berries and squirrels."

He gets Merlin seconds and then proceeds to wake Lady LeSchaye.
"Madam, forgive me waking you but Master Merlin has returned.  Seems he has found our missing farmers."
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 154 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Wed 6 Jul 2011
at 00:21
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix mutters angrily "shutcherface, yurbein too looooud" into her pillow... and *then* she wakes up, sits up, blinks blearily, and frowns. "What is this? Merlin?" After rubbing her eyes a bit she looks at the Solar as if to confirm it's him.

"It is you. Are you well? What news do you bring? Is Aya well? Why isn't she here?"

She pauses as her stomach rumbles and adopts an embarrassed expression. "And... is that breakfast that I smell?"
Merlin
 player, 133 posts
Wed 6 Jul 2011
at 00:29
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Merlin raises one red eyebrow and drinks some more. It seems that he wont be talking much....at least until her Ladyship is not mumbling forth spurious questions that need to be answered in front of others.

On the other hand, she is very cute in the morning. Perhaps......but business first.
Sevastian
 player, 94 posts
 Dragon-Blooded
 Water
Wed 6 Jul 2011
at 03:59
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Sevastian smiles at madam and hands her a plate.  He sets a cup of water on near by night stand and returns to finish cooking for the rest of the group.
Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 155 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Thu 7 Jul 2011
at 18:09
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"Thank you very much, Sevastian," says Beatrix before she begins to eat her breakfast, being polite and dainty through sheer force of will. She beckons with her hand, gesturing for Merlin to go ahead and speak.
Captain August Galen
 player, 20 posts
Fri 8 Jul 2011
at 14:31
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Galen's prone body sleeps deeply, and snores modestly. The brow starts to wrinkle and arms start to meekly flail in an apparent bad dream.

Until The Captain bolts into an upright sitting position, with a fire wand in hand, pointing straight out at now one present.

"Don't! Eat! Me!" Galen's eyes are wild for a second, until they adjust to the current screen and look about confused for a moment.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:46, Fri 08 July 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 156 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Sat 9 Jul 2011
at 03:00
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"I believe our new comrade needs breakfast as well, good Sevastian," says Beatrix in response to the Captain's awakening.
Captain August Galen
 player, 21 posts
Mon 11 Jul 2011
at 02:39
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"Oh." Galen looks about, seeming to recognize of what is going on. "Oh. Good morning everyone. I am impressed." The Captain gets up and starts to dust off. "Very impressed. You all passed my test to see how you would handle such a sudden shock. I see you are all fearless peoples of fearlessness, indeed."

Galen takes a long whiff of the food cooking. "Ah. That smells delicious. Is that you cooking for us again, Mister Sevastian? The way my pallet is rendered ravenous by the smell, it must be your handiwork. I must repay your kindness latter on with my own cooking. Tell me, is your stomach made of cast iron? It is not in relation to my offer. I am merle curious for an unrelated reason I shall disclose latter on."

"Ah." Notes the Captain when seeing Merlin. "Is this our awaited messenger? Excellent. Excellent! So, we can begin the chase now, yes? We can track down these slavers, and make them pay, yes? I am ready! The morning invigorates me endlessly!" The Captain tries to smack the bleary eyed LeShaye on the back to help wake her up.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:40, Mon 11 July 2011.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 157 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 11 Jul 2011
at 15:06
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
"It is a most hopeful turn of events," admits Beatrice, her usual poise returning now. "Come, Merlin, do share with us what you know."
Merlin
 player, 134 posts
Mon 11 Jul 2011
at 17:17
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Merlin finishes breaking his fast and compliments Sevastian on it. By now, perhaps a few others have woken up and can hear, so he does not need to repeat himself.

"Aya and I followed the trail and found camp fires. A short days walk further we found their encampment at night. Despite Aya's best efforts the easy route was not available, so I kidnapped the three men in charge. I interrogated one of them, Sir Clavian, well it was a harsh conversation really, and discovered the following:

-They are acting under writ from Duke Lothus of Watch Hill, who commands that they learn whether the 'lawless lands' are responsible for the disappearance of their own serfs to the north in Watch Hill.

-It is the Duke of Watch Hill's belief that Trademeet is paying the Beastmen to take the excess prisoners from Falan. Thus creating a need in Falan that Trademeet can supply with Guild Slaves, making a tidy little profit.

My impression of the officer was that he did not believe that Trademeet had anything to do with it. Upon further discussion, however, he was still uncertain as to whom might be behind the entire situation. Surely the Beastmen do not take prisoners in small hordes as they have very often without something to do with them. Sir Clavian would like those of you with more diplomatic leanings to speak with the Duke. Meanwhile the peasants will be 'staying' in their encampment. He does not want to see bloodshed, although I believe I might have injured one of his men with a falling rock. Aya has stayed behind to make sure that they sit tight and wait for the rest of you all to get there.

Beatrix LeSchaye
 player, 158 posts
 Solar
 Zenith
Mon 11 Jul 2011
at 17:47
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
Beatrix listens without interruption until Merlin is done.

"You have done well," she says after he's done. "And I am gladdened to hear that you and Aya are well. Shall we go, now, and speak to this Sir Clavian?"
Merlin
 player, 135 posts
Mon 11 Jul 2011
at 18:02
Re: Opening Strains of the William Tell Overture
In reply to Beatrix LeSchaye (msg #106):

"As soon as our other compatriots can ready themselves and break their fast I believe it would be most beneficial to make all haste. The prisoners were not being harmed, but soldiers under duress can start having issues pretty fast."