Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1.   Posted by teslas.Group: 0
teslas
 GM, 1854 posts
Wed 8 Jun 2011
at 01:22
Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
This sub-chapter may be quite long, and as such may be broken into more than one thread, hence the "#1".

The Lightsday sun heralds in a pleasant start to the week.

It is now 8:00am, and all of you are back aboard the MARY. The crew is well-rested and eager to go. The new compliment of marines have made their place aboard and the modification to the lowest deck is complete. If anything, the additional men seem to make the ship feel more healthy.

The second shift of sailors has been asleep for a short while and the first shift are lowering the sails. VIL and JACK stay awake for a moment to discuss setting out before heading down to sleep before their shift.

Cornelia has been feeding your sailors and marines while docked. Your previous food stores have been recalculated with the additional personel taken into account and can be found in the Party Inventory thread.

JACK, you're able to get a read on the weather well enough to know there will be no issues this day.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:13, Wed 08 June 2011.

teslas
 GM, 1856 posts
Wed 8 Jun 2011
at 01:41
Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
The entirety of the following is "out of character" and is information you all would already know about and have probably already discussed.

You have several options on how to proceed. Your map on board your ship has the Aldi clearly labeled. There are many marks indicating pirate coves and a few indications of sahuagin strongholds.

There are several destinations to which you could logically proceed, listed by proximity.

1: Cornelia (duh)
2: Rockwood
3: Bouldershallow (Dwarven docks to the west)
4: Unnamed Town that GERY describes as a pirate haven Knowledge (Geography)
5: Port Elfheim

Elfheim lies nearly directly south across the sea. There are many more markings of sahuagin activity in the center of the sea than on the outskirts. To circumvent them, if desired, you'd have to travel along either the eastern or western coastlines.

The eastern path would take you a good halfway back to Provoka before meeting land and turning south, following a huge chain of coastal mountains. Along the way you'd encounter the as-yet unnamed pirate city.

The western coastline would take you past Bouldershallow as well as the now collapsed pass to the greater oceans.

Estimated travel times:
Straight-shot through the open sea: 3 days~
Eastern coastline: 6 days~
Western coastline: 12 days~

NPC advice/opinions:

DUNN suggests that the MARY is a fairly fast ship, and this may restrict sahuagin engagements to a few small clashes, if any. He also warns of the possibility of being unlucky and finding enough to qualify as a proper skirmish, potentially having the creatures outnumber humans on the boat, possibly on more than one occasion.

GERY does not like the idea of passing by the pirates again--especially with how resource-starved and potentially desperate they are getting. He seems to not know much about sahuagin, but is confident you are capable of defeating such dumb and savage sea creatures.

VIL would rather get the trip over with than choose a route that could double or quadruple the time it requires to get there over basically unsailed waters for the past two decades.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:15, Wed 08 June 2011.

ZEIG
 player, 1172 posts
 White Mage
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 01:43
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
Zeig takes to the alchemy lab and hustles through an Aquaveil potion early in the morning.  150 gil of supplies and finished in 2 hours

21:41, Today: ZEIG rolled 32 using 1d20+12. Craft (Alch) - Aquaveil. DC 22
CL 3 - lasts 3 minutes, +8 concentration checks against losing a spell

This message was last edited by the player at 02:06, Thu 09 June 2011.

teslas
 GM, 1865 posts
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 02:34
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
The party resolves to set out across the sea directly, straight to Elfheim.

The beginning of the first day goes well. The MARY cuts through the subtle waves of the sea at her steady pace. DUNN is quite pleased with what he sees. "I apologize, but I thought the speeds your deck officer was claiming the ship traveled might have been a bit of an embellishment," he says to the person currently serving as captain.

JACK and VIL are currently asleep down in the hold with the second shift. The sun is beginning to set.

ZEIG is still near his alchemy set, having finished his potion but still adjusting things for tomorrow's efforts. DAI is at the helm standing (what he thinks to be) mightily with the pirate captain's hat on his head. LOGG is up in the rigging of the central mast sneaking a nap. (10' of DC 10 balance check to make it to the mast, and 25' of climbing (or falling) to be back on the deck).

10 sailors including GERY and 5 marines are also in the hold asleep. None of the sailors or marines are labeled on the ship's map, as they will move out of the way for you if you move. They, for all intents and purposes, are evenly distributed around the boat based on standard ship's duties.

The sailor in the crow's nest begins ringing the alarm bell, though most of you cannot quite make out what he's yelling. DC 18 Listen check

You can of course wait for the result of your listen check before proceeding (I'd roll them for you but I'm about to head out to dinner). You all have 1 round of actions to take (standard/move) before anything else happens. Feel free to spend your Standard action attempting to get another Listen check at the sailor in the crow's nest. JACK, you are asleep in the hold and therefore do not act quite yet.

There are currently 4 marines on deck including DUNN, one marine on the cannon deck, 8 standard sailors in the rigging and on deck, and 2 petty officers--one on the fore half-castle and on on the aft with the person steering the ship.

PCs (and VIL) are their standard characters on the map. LOGG, the central 'X' is the mast you're up. If you have any questions about movement up there apart from what I've described, please ask.

For additional information on the ship's map (which we will be using more than this one time for sure), please check the Party Inventory thread.

Top Decks:  Upper Deck:  Cannon Deck:  Cargo Deck:      Hold:
. . . 
... ... ... . 
..... --#-- ..... ... .
..o.. ...ZA #---# ---#- ...
..... .....c.....c..o.. .
..X.. ..X.. ..X.. ..X.. ...
%---% %#-#% %...% %...% ...
              ...o...      c.....c       |.....|        |...|
              .......      c.....c       |.....|        |V..|
              ..[=]..      c.[=].c       |.....|        |..J|
              ..[=]..      c.[=].c       |..o..|        |.^.|
              ...X...      |.oXo.|       |..X..|        |...|
              ...o...      c.....c       |..o..|        |.^.|
              .......      c.....c       |.....|        |...|
              .......      c.....c       |.....|        |...|
%-X-% %#X#% %.X.% %-X-% -#-
..H.. .....c.....c..... ...  
..D.. ..... --#-- ..... ...
..... --#-- ..... ...--- 
... ... ...---   
   ---          ---          ---

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:36, Thu 09 June 2011.

DAI
 player, 1070 posts
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 02:38
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
19:38, Today: DAI rolled 20 using 1d20+1. listen.

OOC: Will put my round of actions after hearing what is being yelled.
LOGG
 player, 110 posts
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 02:43
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
21:41, Today: LOGG rolled 15 using 1d20+3. Listen check (DC 18).

OOC: Well, I don't think I hear, Meh I'll do my actions after everyone else
ZEIG
 player, 1173 posts
 White Mage
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 02:46
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
22:45, Today: ZEIG rolled 13 using 1d20+4. listen.

Zeig rushes upstairs and looks around hurriedly.

"What?  What is the alarm for?"
teslas
 GM, 1866 posts
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 03:43
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
ZEIG rushes over to a door, opens it, and looks around wondering at the cause of the alarm. All actions expended. You are now in the doorway looking out onto the deck.

DAI squints slightly before he acts, listening intently.  Full-round action remaining.

LOGG hears the yelling, and readies himself ready to take action at the ready. You're right. You hear nothing but the sailor yelling while the bell overpowers him. You still have a full-round action left.

JACK and VIL continue to doze rather peacefully.

edit-
LOGG's readiness!

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:49, Thu 09 June 2011.

DAI
 player, 1071 posts
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 03:59
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
"Someone wake up JACK and VIL! We have Saguagins coming up the sides of the ship, non-fighters stay below deck, make sure you close all openings down there!" DAI draws out his wands of Lock and Ice Slick, getting ready for what was coming.
teslas
 GM, 1867 posts
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 04:00
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
LOGG, your actions cannot take into account what DAI has said, though you can attempt to spend a Standard action to listen more closely to the sailor in the crow's nest. On LOGG and ZEIG's next turn they will have heard DAI, as will have the majority of the marines/sailors on deck.
LOGG
 player, 111 posts
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 04:38
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
23:37, Today: LOGG rolled 20 using 1d20+3. Listen check (DC 18).

OOC: there... much better... putting ranks in that when I can....
JACK
 player, 1027 posts
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 04:43
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
00:43, Today: JACK rolled 9 using 1d20 with rolls of 9. Listen.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
teslas
 GM, 1868 posts
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 17:09
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
LOGG, you now have one move action left. See above post about where you are.
LOGG
 player, 112 posts
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 17:18
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
LOGG, upon hearing about brown lizard-like things coming up the side of the ship, tries to climb down to the deck.

12:17, Today: LOGG rolled 25 using 1d20+7. climbing down.
teslas
 GM, 1870 posts
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 18:16
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
Going to just glaze over the fact that you completely missed the part where you had to Balance first and do it for you, even though I mentioned it several times including PMs... I hate you guys so much, I really do.

LOGG nimbly jogs over to the mast then begins to climb down at a brisk pace.
13:12, Today: teslas, on behalf of LOGG, rolled 18 using 1d20+10. DC 15 Balance.
13:14, Today: teslas, on behalf of LOGG, rolled 5 using 1d20+2. Accellerated Climb (-5) check, DC 5.


LOGG ends his movement 15' above the deck of the ship, and lets go of the ladder.
13:15, Today: teslas, on behalf of LOGG, rolled 13 using 1d20+9. DC 15 Tumble to reduce fall.
Unfortunately, he fumbles his landing in his excitement, twisting his ankle.
13:16, Today: teslas, on behalf of LOGG, rolled 3 using 1d6. Non-lethal intentional fall damage.
teslas
 GM, 1872 posts
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 18:30
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
The sailor ringing the bell suddenly stops. None of you can see him up there any longer.

A sailor on the deck of the ship begins yelling that he sees lizard-men climbing up the side of the ship. Some of the other sailors and marines run to look for themselves. The marines draw their crossbows.

Initiative. JACK, don't roll initiative quite yet. You will "act" at the end of every round. When you wake up you will roll for it.

ZEIG is standing in a doorway (#)
s = Sailor (the ones in the hold are in hammocks, sharing the same squares)
there are more sailors in the rigging as well as the one that was previously seen in the crow's nest
m = Marine
U = DUNN
G = GERY

Top Decks:  Upper Deck:  Cannon Deck:  Cargo Deck:      Hold:
s . . 
... ... ... . 
..... --#-- ..... ... .
..o.. ....A #---# ---#- ...
..... .....c.....c..o.. .
.sX.. ..X.. ..X.. ..X.. s.s
%---% %#-Z% %...% %...% s.s
              ...o...      c.....c       |.....|        |..G|
              .......      c.....c       |.....|        |V..|
              ..[=].s      c.[=].c       |.....|        |..J|
              ..[=]..      c.[=].c       |..o..|        |.^.|
              s..XL..      |.oXo.|       |..X..|        |...|
              m..o.m.      c..m..c       |..o..|        |.^.|
              .......      c.....c       |.....|        |...|
              .......      c.....c       |.....|        |...|
%-X-% %#X#% %.X.% %-X-% -#-
..Hs. .....c.....c..... m.m  
m.D.. ..... --#-- ..... mmm
..U.. --#-- ..... ...--- 
..s ... ...---   
   ---          ---          ---


edit-
Again, if you have issues with the map, check the Party Inventory thread. The map is explained further there. If you're still confused, please ask!

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:36, Thu 09 June 2011.

ZEIG
 player, 1174 posts
 White Mage
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 18:43
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
14:40, Today: ZEIG rolled 6 using 1d20-1. Initiative.
DAI
 player, 1072 posts
Thu 9 Jun 2011
at 22:19
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
15:18, Today: DAI rolled 19 using 1d20+2. init.

DAI eyes the man in the crow's nest confused. "Keep your wits about...there's more to this."
teslas
 GM, 1875 posts
Fri 10 Jun 2011
at 00:51
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
19:51, Today: teslas, on behalf of LOGG, rolled 9 using 1d20+4. Initiative.
teslas
 GM, 1876 posts
Fri 10 Jun 2011
at 01:11
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
A sahuagin holding a staff pokes his head up over the edge of the railing of the ship. After a brief glancing around it holds its head back, elongates its neck, then spits a torrent of water at the sailor nearest to it looking over the railing.
20:05, Today: teslas rolled 12 using 2d6+2. elemental water damage.
20:05, Today: teslas rolled 23 using 1d20+5. RTA vs. FF sailor.

The surprised sailor is caught unprepared. He is smacked dead-on and flops to the deck of the ship horribly injured and unconscious.


Due to the new map which is quite complicated and large, I have put enemies in bolded blue so that you can find them more easily. The blue will disappear after one round (because it really fucks up the constant-width spacing for me).

Between the few torches lit on the ship and the waning sunlight there are no visibility issues on deck.

Round 1:
21: Sahag Priest
19: DAI
15: petty officers - Flat-footed
10: DUNN           - Flat-footed
 9: LOGG           - Flat-footed
 8: Marines        - Flat-footed
 8: Sahag Raiders  - Flat-footed
 6: ZEIG           - Flat-footed
 4: sailors        - Flat-footed
--: JACK           - Sleeping
--: VIL            - Sleeping
--: GERY           - Sleeping

$ = Sahag Priest
1,2,3,4,5 = sahuagin raiders
players are their normal characters
s = Sailor (both regular sailors and your two petty officers, there are more in the rigging)
b = unconscious body of an ally (see below)
m = Marine
U = DUNN
G = GERY

Top Decks:  Upper Deck:  Cannon Deck:  Cargo Deck:      Hold:
 _
s . . 
... ... ... . 
..... --#-- ..... ... .
..o.. ....A #---# ---#- s..
..... .....c.....c..o.. s^s
.sX.. ..X.. ..X.. ..X.. s.s
%---% %#-Z% %...% %...% s.s
              ...o..$      c.....c       |.....|        |s.G|
              .......      c.....c       |.....|        |V.s|
              ..[=].b      c.[=].c       |.....|        |s.J|
              ..[=]..      c.[=].c       |..o..|        |.^.|
              s..XL..      |.oXo.|       |..X..|        |...|
              m..o.m.      c..m..c       |..o..|        |.^.|
              .......      c.....c       |.....|        |...|
              .......      c.....c       |.....|        |...|
%-X-% %#X#% %.X.% %-X-% -#-
..Hs. .....c.....c..... m.m  
m.D.. ..... --#-- ..... mmm
..U.. --#-- ..... ...--- 
..s ... ...---   
   ---          ---          ---

Once again, if you have any questions about the map, check the Party Inventory thread and then ask in the OOC if you're still confused.


Unconscious bodies of allies who are not PCs or major NPCs will be shown with a 'b'. If you're curious as to who it is, check previous posts or ask me on AIM if you're lazy. Enemies will always be on the map so long as they are alive, even if they are unconscious, so check the initiative order to see who or what is alive/unconscious.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:18, Tue 11 Dec 2012.

DAI
 player, 1073 posts
Fri 10 Jun 2011
at 01:26
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
DAI 5 ft steps to the right, dropping his wand of Ice Slick at his feet, before throwing his hand forward as a torrent of small stones flies from within his sleeve, aiming for the sahuagin priest.

18:25, Today: DAI rolled 17 using 2d12+6. stone damage.
18:25, Today: DAI rolled 21 using 1d20+4. stone(RTA) Sahuagin Priest.
Choosing to forego the rough terrain.

teslas
 GM, 1877 posts
Fri 10 Jun 2011
at 01:35
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
The Sahuagin priest shrieks as and after the magical stones bludgeon him.

The petty officer manning the helm shifts to the position DAI was in and stares wide-eyed at the fight in front of him as he continues to pilot the MARY.

The other petty officer at the front of the ship runs to the deck hole, hangs by his hands, then drops down inside. He yells to the other sailor near him as he's running, "GET BELOW!"

DUNN moves over to the starboard stairwell, blocking it with his body, and loads his crossbow. "Engage and defend the helm!"

Round 1:
21: Sahag Priest
19: DAI
15: petty officers
10: DUNN
 9: LOGG
 8: Marines        - Flat-footed
 8: Sahag Raiders  - Flat-footed
 6: ZEIG           - Flat-footed
 4: sailors        - Flat-footed
--: JACK           - Sleeping
--: VIL            - Sleeping
--: GERY           - Sleeping

$ = Sahag Priest
1,2,3,4,5 = sahuagin raiders
players are their normal characters
s = Sailor (both regular sailors and your two petty officers, there are more in the rigging)
b = unconscious body of an ally (see below)
m = Marine
U = DUNN
G = GERY

Top Decks:  Upper Deck:  Cannon Deck:  Cargo Deck:      Hold:
 _
. . . 
... ... ... . 
..... --#-- ..... ... .
..o.. ....A #---# ---#- s..
..... ..s..c.....c..o.. s^s
.sX.. ..X.. ..X.. ..X.. s.s
%---% %#-Z% %...% %...% s.s
              ...o..$      c.....c       |.....|        |s.G|
              .......      c.....c       |.....|        |V.s|
              ..[=].b      c.[=].c       |.....|        |s.J|
              ..[=]..      c.[=].c       |..o..|        |.^.|
              s..XL..      |.oXo.|       |..X..|        |...|
              m..o.m.      c..m..c       |..o..|        |.^.|
              .......      c.....c       |.....|        |...|
              .......      c.....c       |.....|        |...|
%-X-% %#X#% %.X.% %-X-% -#-
..H.U .....c.....c..... m.m  
m.sD. ..... --#-- ..... mmm
..... --#-- ..... ...--- 
..s ... ...---   
   ---          ---          ---

Once again, if you have any questions about the map, check the Party Inventory thread and then ask in the OOC if you're still confused.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:00, Fri 10 June 2011.

LOGG
 player, 114 posts
Fri 10 Jun 2011
at 05:22
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
LOGG attempts to ascertain an item the Sahuagin Priest has he then moves towards it and attempts to steal from it


00:15, Today: LOGG rolled 10 using 1d20+4. peek attempt on Sahuagin Priest. 00:18, Today: LOGG rolled 20 using 1d20+15. steal attempt on Sahuagin Priest.