Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1.   Posted by teslas.Group: 0
DAI
 player, 1325 posts
Fri 14 Oct 2011
at 23:33
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
"Well...while we're here and all, you seem to be a little better equipped then most Giants. We aren't going to give you our money but would you perhaps like to exchange supplies for some?" DAI was hoping ZEIG could get him into an agreeable mood, because they didn't really know what the Giant had on him. By all rights they could just kill him and take it, but since he had started talking it almost felt like that would be wrong, almost.

GM Edit-

20:31, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 2 using 1d20. Diplomacy with ZEIG.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:38, Sun 16 Oct 2011.

teslas
 GM, 2417 posts
Sun 16 Oct 2011
at 01:35
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
ZEIG, slightly surprised at DAI's apparent plan, plays along (giving a yeah, what he said).
20:33, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 30 using 1d20+15. Diplomacy with DAI (Divine Insight).

He also removes some of his strength damage when he gets a chance.
20:34, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 2 using 1d4. Restore MP: 35/53.

ZEIG also hands two potions of Cure to GRIM, and one to JACK to drink.
Don't have to drink them now. He has 4 left.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:37, Sun 16 Oct 2011.

teslas
 GM, 2418 posts
Sun 16 Oct 2011
at 01:44
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
The giant is surprised, to say the least. He goes from his knee to sitting down, looking his dead comrade over as he does so. After a minute of talking, he seems much more acclimated to the idea that you're not going to kill him.

"What supplies do you want?" After saying this, the giant pulls a potion out of his belt very slowly, "I drink this to get better now, ok?"
DAI
 player, 1326 posts
Sun 16 Oct 2011
at 01:47
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
DAI shrugs. "I don't have an issue as long as you don't try to kill us again. As far as supplies go, I guess it's dependant on what you have to spare." DAI didn't know what most giants carried around, but was curious if it could help them out.
teslas
 GM, 2419 posts
Sun 16 Oct 2011
at 02:02
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
The giant drinks the potion. Some of his bruises lessen, and the axe wound on its leg closes a bit. He would now have "yellow" hit points. "We can trade some things we found on elf bodies. What thing you want look like? Many of it too small for us."
DAI
 player, 1328 posts
Sun 16 Oct 2011
at 03:03
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
DAI thinks a moment. "Do you have any crystals that feel like magic?"

20:03, Today: DAI rolled 29 using 1d100. eh?.

OOC: Vague, but empowered spellshards or anything like them
DAI
 player, 1330 posts
Sun 16 Oct 2011
at 06:10
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
"Necklaces, ones that either strengthen spells or store their own magic"

OOC: Empowered Spellshards or those items I asked aboutthat I hate trying to spell
teslas
 GM, 2425 posts
Mon 17 Oct 2011
at 00:42
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
"Uhhhh. Ok. I think yes maybe. I can be back in one day at morning. You be here. Bury my cousin, leave his club on top of moved dirt when he in ground. No giant from my clan will hurt you until the sun rises again if you do this. Other clans, maybe, but you humans and short smelly human can fight good."

He stands up and stretches out his injured leg, then picks up his club. "I go now?"
JACK
 player, 1175 posts
Mon 17 Oct 2011
at 01:13
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
Jack eyes the dead giant. You got a shovel?
DAI
 player, 1331 posts
Mon 17 Oct 2011
at 03:17
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
DAI nods to the giant, letting him know that he can go. "What about your magical bag of goodies? Pretty sure you've got a couple shovels in there." DAI says to JACK, then turning his attention on the dead giant and using Detect Magic on him after his cousin had left.
JACK
 player, 1176 posts
Mon 17 Oct 2011
at 03:21
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
Jack peeks in the bag to see if there was one there.
teslas
 GM, 2427 posts
Mon 17 Oct 2011
at 10:12
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
The giant walks off into the forest.

DAI, you immediately notice another necklace just like the ones you found on the previous giants. You can't be absolutely sure until you identify it, but it looks and feels exactly the same. The giant doesn't seem to have any other magical possessions, nor does the dead goblin.

JACK remembers that the bag will not be ready for use for another few hours when they would normally eat breakfast, and that indeed, he needs to get the last couple of hours of his rest in at some point. GRIM needs 4 hours more, DAI and JACK two, and ZEIG one.

ZEIG goes back over to his alchemy set and puts the finishing touches on his potion of Restore.

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:15, Mon 17 Oct 2011.

JACK
 player, 1178 posts
Tue 18 Oct 2011
at 05:06
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
Jack gets ready for watch, putting his cure into his pack. He seems to be thinking. We'll set camp for now, and tomorrow we'll dig the grave. We'll wait for the giant to trade, then set off again.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:20, Tue 18 Oct 2011.

teslas
 GM, 2429 posts
Tue 18 Oct 2011
at 22:09
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
And thus did our intrepid band of adventurers did set out to sit around on their asses all day long (kind of)!

The group finishes their watches as normal. The giant's corpse, already smelling ripe, isn't getting any fresher. Every once in a while growling from some small carrion-eater in some near bush can be heard. Vultures begin to perch themselves in the canopy of the trees, watching you. Breakfast is hurried. JACK pulls a shovel out of the survival pouch and gets to work. He and GRIM trade the shovel back and forth every ten minutes, alternating between digging as quickly and as hard as they can and resting. ZEIG uses Create Water, twice, to refill everyone's waterskins as the two men work furiously.

ZEIG attempts to create another potion of Restore during all of this. I am going to assume DAI would like to assist him. He finds his hands awkward to use with the residual effects of the poison in his body, and fumbles the process, losing the alchemy supplies. He has a few words about his frustration and lets DAI know he's willing to assist him if he wants to take a shot at something.
17:03, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 17 using 1d20+15. Restore Craft (alchemy) +2 from assist.

After eight hours of digging, it is now around 4pm. The hole was incredibly difficult to dig with all of the tree roots, and at times both JACK and GRIM were in the pit, JACK digging, and GRIM chopping at roots with his axe.
DC 2 + 2*hours worked Fort save to avoid being Fatigued. (DC 18)
17:15, Today: teslas, on behalf of GRIM, rolled 14 using 1d20+9. DC 18 vs. Fatigue.
17:15, Today: teslas, on behalf of JACK, rolled 11 using 1d20+9. DC 18 vs. Fatigue.

GRIM and JACK take a break, both worn down greatly by the work. ZEIG, not wanting the two people good at getting hit by giant's clubs to be caught unable to perform if need be, casts Restore on both of them. MP: 29/53

Despite the growing number of vultures in the trees, no further wildlife makes its presence evident. There are no signs of giants observing the party, either.

The sun begins to set. In the last hour of sunlight, JACK and GRIM roll the dead giant into its hole. DAI, I'm going to assume you took the 2lb amulet off of its neck? Looking at one another, then the dead goblin, JACK shrugs then picks it up and chucks it into the hole next to the giant. GRIM uses his shield to begin shoving the mound of dirt back into the hole while JACK goes at it with the shovel. ZEIG uses a cast of Illuminate on JACK's shovel to see him through the last hour. Finally, they take the giant's massive club and drop it onto the freshly moved dirt. It thuds down and sinks into it, just as the giant had instructed.

Tired, more sweaty than usual, and dirty, JACK and GRIM are ready for a good night's sleep. Unfortunately the party is still in the middle of the damned forest. Neither of you can fail a DC 10 Fortitude save. (not going to roll for the chance of a 1, that's a dick move.) You are not fatigued. ZEIG pulls out his magical tent he's been holding and sets it down on the ground about 50 yards away from the new grave. It's a good sight more appealing than your usual tent. The party begins its normal watch cycle with the expectation, for better or worse, of the giant's return in the morning.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:23, Wed 19 Oct 2011.

DAI
 player, 1334 posts
Thu 20 Oct 2011
at 01:48
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
DAI tries making a potion before getting some sleep, but ends up wasting his time, even with ZEIG's help.

18:47, Today: DAI rolled 21 using 1d20+13. craft(alchemy) before ZEIG aid. 
teslas
 GM, 2433 posts
Thu 20 Oct 2011
at 16:09
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
DAI and ZEIG frown a bit as they realize DAI's efforts are in vain. ZEIG pats DAI on the back and blames bad luck, noting that they at least were able to save the majority of the components to try again later.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:24, Thu 20 Oct 2011.

teslas
 GM, 2435 posts
Fri 21 Oct 2011
at 06:51
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
After the long day of waiting, the party sleeps. ZEIG curses at the stupid 8-hour a day limit on crafting items, staring at his alchemy kit for most of the night. All of you pile into the magical tent, keeping one person awake to listen as carefully as they can to the outside environment, relying on the tent to conceal you from animals, and a bit of luck to keep the giants and goblins at bay.

It works.

The Firesday sun is warm but dim. You all get out of the tent and shortly thereafter it shrinks and fades away. ZEIG feels much more healthy than he did the day before, able to easily move around with his backpack again.

JACK climbs a bit up a tree to get a look at the sky. He sees thick clouds. It is obviously going to start raining, hard... and very soon.

By ten minutes later, the sound of the rain falling against the canopy, coming from the distance, is eery. It can be heard even amidst the thunder booming in the sky not far behind it. Sheets of water running along leaves and branches begin drenching the party. The ground, already damp, almost immediately turns into a pasty mud which will almost assuredly grow more miserable as the day continues.

This is a downpour. Visibility reduced to 25' base between the water crashing through the leaves and the dimmed sun. 10% miss chance and -4 to Spot checks every 25' past that, out to 150' where you can no longer see nor target creatures.

The party waits for the giant to return.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:52, Fri 21 Oct 2011.

DAI
 player, 1337 posts
Fri 21 Oct 2011
at 22:30
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1
"You know, the Giant is likely gonnah ave some trouble seeing us from over here, considering how far we walked from the grave. Maybe we should wait over there and make a tree glow or something."
teslas
 GM, 2444 posts
Sat 22 Oct 2011
at 14:33
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
The party makes their way over to a tree close to the giant's new grave. The rain is washing away quite a bit of the dirt mounded up over ground level. JACK jumps up and grabs a branch, and DAI and ZEIG both cast Illuminate on one of the larger leaves, also lighting up part of the branch slightly.

After that, you wait, sopping wet. At least it's rather warm.
teslas
 GM, 2445 posts
Sat 22 Oct 2011
at 14:35
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
Forty-five minutes later, around 9:00am, a hulking figure can be seen through the trees to the west. It stops, and you can see an arm raise and wave. Squinting, you can see three more large figures just behind him, around 120' away.

The first large figure walks closer to the party while the rest stay where they are.

Pausing here for a short while, just in case.
JACK
 player, 1182 posts
Sat 22 Oct 2011
at 18:13
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
Jack keeps his eyes on the other figures, frowning.

This message was last edited by the player at 18:13, Sat 22 Oct 2011.

DAI
 player, 1339 posts
Sat 22 Oct 2011
at 16:12
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
DAI clears his throat, hailing the Giant over. "Hey there...see you brought friends? This uh....what is this? We still doing the peaceful trading thing, right buddy?" DAI was fingering his wand(shut up) of Lock, not liking how things were looking, considering the number of giants...but ready to start throwing Sleepgas around if the need arose.
teslas
 GM, 2447 posts
Sun 23 Oct 2011
at 22:59
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
The giant coming forward speaks as he approaches, "They are my clan. Came to see if you bury cousin right." Each of you is pretty sure you can discern his voice as that of the giant you had let go.

He walks up to the party and plops down a heavy leather sack into the muddy ground, then walks over to the grave. He yells out what sounds to be a couple of sentences in his native tongue. The shouting is returned.

"I told them you did good enough. Now, you buy crystal necklace. We have some more than one. All have elf magic in them. They cost you two hundred special elf metal coins. We must go soon, so you buy or leave on your now." He presents an example of the coin he is speaking about, and you recognize it as a platinum piece.

2,000 gold per necklace, buy as many as you want. It's a bit of a craps shoot for what you get, but honestly, nearly anything is a steal at that price, and your characters know it.

Without giving you much time to even look at each other, he picks up his heavy sack and plops it down next to the grave, then begins dumping enormous hand-fulls of large yellow and white crystals from it around and on top of the grave.
JACK
 player, 1183 posts
Sun 23 Oct 2011
at 23:34
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
Jack looks over the crystals. What do they do?
teslas
 GM, 2448 posts
Sun 23 Oct 2011
at 23:49
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
The giant frowns, "Elf magic."