Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #1.   Posted by teslas.Group: 0
DAI
 player, 1355 posts
Fri 11 Nov 2011
at 04:54
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
"Odd...that our goals would be so closely intertwined. I personally can't object to antoehr set of hands, and if your fashion sense has anything to say about your skills, you should definitely come in handy." DAI thinks a moment, before he adds in half-heartedly. "That probably sounded rude, I'm sure you must be going through some hard times at the moment. Unless one of my companions finds issue, I have no complaints with having you tag along."
JACK
 player, 1196 posts
Fri 11 Nov 2011
at 05:07
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
Jack grunts. I have no issue with it.
teslas
 GM, 2490 posts
Fri 11 Nov 2011
at 08:48
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
JACK gets to work lowering the next two bodies down from the trees. ZEIG heals LEO a couple of times as he's getting dressed. LEO adorns an extra set of traveler's clothes, a breastplate, a rapier, and a backpack looking very much like ZEIG's--only much more worn and used.
02:44, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 12 using 1d8+6. Cure -> LEO.
02:44, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 12 using 1d8+6. Cure -> LEO.

ZEIG then hands LEO two potions of Cure advising that he drink them should trouble approach.

Looking around, LEO pulls an old, battered heavy shield out of some nearby bushes. Underneath it is a warhammer, haft broken in two places, and the steel head cracked down the center. It is ruined. The heavy shield, however, looks to be in workable condition.

DAI also searches around, finding torn pieces of leather and metal armor scattered all around the forest floor.

LEO: Cure potions restore 1d8+1 HP, are weightless, and otherwise work exactly like potions in vanilla D&D.

Everyone: Stay and bury the bodies or get moving?

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:51, Fri 11 Nov 2011.

LEO
 player, 4 posts
Fri 11 Nov 2011
at 08:51
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
I'm sorry to delay you further, but I must stay and see that my companions recieve a proper burial. I'd be glad for the digging aid, but I'll catch up if you decide to press on.

Is my health at 24 now?

This message was last edited by the player at 08:52, Fri 11 Nov 2011.

JACK
 player, 1197 posts
Fri 11 Nov 2011
at 22:32
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
Jack helps Leo dig graves.
DAI
 player, 1356 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 03:04
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
DAI shrugs, and moves to help as well, in whatever way he could. He'd also take a look at LEO's weapon, to see if a simple Mending would be enough to fix it(or a few), but if it was magical then he wouldn't be able to do much with so simple a spell.
teslas
 GM, 2492 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 08:13
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
If you're talking about the warhammer, it's beyond what Mending is capable of fixing unless you have any sort of appropriate craft or profession skill--even then that's shaky.

The party spends three hours digging graves for the three bodies. Luckily, the root system of this part of the forest is nowhere near as thick as before, though GRIM does still have to chop quite a few with his axe.

Going to assume you pulled a shovel out of the survival pouch. This leaves four charges for everyone to eat except ZEIG, who doesn't have to.

Three small graves are dug side by side underneath the trees where LEO and the other three were previously hanging. The largest rocks anyone could find are placed at the head of each one. ZEIG apologizes to LEO that he's not quite experienced enough to attempt to bring someone back from the dead. It looks as if one of the bodies was still in a suitable condition to do so as far as he could judge.
teslas
 GM, 2493 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 09:58
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
The party mounts up. LEO can ride on the same chocobo as ZEIG or DAI without issue.

The plan changes from making it to the other side of lake deepflight this day to camping on its near banks tonight, under the cover of the treeline if possible. The trip goes rather quickly.

Going to pause for a moment (even though it's 4am) to give you guys a chance ot talk/say anything while you ride.
LEO
 player, 5 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 10:35
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
LEO says nothing. He is not trying to be rude, he's just still in recovery from the shock.
teslas
 GM, 2495 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 12:04
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
The forest breaks suddenly at around 4:00pm. Before the party lies the impressively large Lake Deepflight basin. The elevation slowly grades down 100 to 200 feet before the waters edge on all sides except where where the lake meets the river. Tall grasses sway in the light winds.

Look at the map in the Key Items post.

You are near the southern bank of the lake. All around the lake a half-mile wide clearing separates it from the trees. The vast majority of this clearing hosts thriving fields of 2-3' tall wild grasses.

To the east lies the Deepflight River draining into the ocean over a large cliff. The surface drow village lies there, miles and miles out of sight. River Deepflight is very wide and broad. It would be difficult to swim across, but there is a bridge marked on the map at the drow village.

To the west side of the lake lies a small, hilly strip of forest about 400'~ wide. It is sandwiched by imposing mountain-faces and the clearing around the lake. The immense mountain range looks to burst out of the ground. In some places, the mountain-face is nearly a vertical rise.

Across the lake forests stretch into the distance. This is the direction to Sunscorn Keep, a drow stronghold on the surface.

Due west is also a pass in the mountains that leads to the western shore of the continent.


The lake shimmers beautifully--almost invitingly. As the daylight continues to fade, the party agrees the lake is faintly glowing a deep blue on its own. With only this information, Spellcraft and to a lesser extent Know (arcana) and Know (planes) checks are possible. You can retry these checks if you find out more information, so don't worry.

Finally, there's no tent to pull out of the survival pouch this night. I'm assuming one of you might want to use a magical tent? If so, ZEIG will use some more MP healing people.


The party stays just inside forest's edge and makes their way around the circumference of the lake a little looking to find a good campsite as well as any signs of activity.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:26, Sat 12 Nov 2011.

teslas
 GM, 2497 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 12:25
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
ZEIG ponders for a moment, conversing with DAI. The other three, not having too much to add, keep their eyes peeled for movement in the distance.

06:10, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 16 using 1d20+11. Spellcraft.
06:09, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 5 using 1d20+3. Know (arcana).
06:09, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 23 using 1d20+3. Know (planes).


Hope you don't mind, sir, going to roll yours too to speed things along.

06:18, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 19 using 1d20+13. Spellcraft.
06:18, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 28 using 1d20+13. Know (arcana).


Neither ZEIG nor DAI can outrightly place what type of magical effect might be causing this.

ZEIG has some cockamamie ideas about several ways planar effects could cause the lake to glow, but there's no telling for sure from this distance.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:25, Sat 12 Nov 2011.

LEO
 player, 6 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 13:39
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
I'm going to assume that the lake isn't for drinking...


DAI
 player, 1359 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 14:29
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
DAI shrugs. "We have a mobile alchemy kit, we could always find out. It may have some kind of effect." DAI offers up the idea, waiting for any other input.
LEO
 player, 7 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 14:33
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
LEO perks up for the first time all day. I've always been meaning to start training in alchemy... Mind if I accompany you to the shore? Besides, this way nobody has to be separated by themselves. Safer and whatnot. He sets his pack down near the chosen campsite, making a token attempt to conceal it in the underbrush.
DAI
 player, 1360 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 14:44
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
"I don't mind, I wasn't an apprentice long ago, so not sure how much of a teacher I can be." DAImakes sure to get the Handy Haversack from ZEIG, and waits for LEO, or anyone else interested, to go find out what's so special about the lake.

OOC: Go ahead and roll for me, or use my last roll if that's fine.
teslas
 GM, 2499 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 14:54
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
ZEIG isn't going to let you go down there by yourselves, and suggests that if three people go, all five may as well. He'll keep the haversack unless you just really want to carry it.

Are you guys going to use a tent tonight? If so ZEIG will heal some people before you set out. It'll only be a short walk to the lake's edge.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:01, Sat 12 Nov 2011.

JACK
 player, 1198 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 15:01
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
Jack agrees, both with not splitting up and with using a tent.
LEO
 player, 8 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 15:17
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
Alright, lets go investiagte this glowy thing! LEO heads down to the lakeside promptly.
DAI
 player, 1361 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 19:52
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
11:51, Today: DAI rolled 30 using 1d20+13. Craft Alchemy: Glowy Lake, take 2.
Pretty sure ZEIG can aid another, not sure if LEO can untrained(forget the full limitations)


DAI spends some time testing the properties of the lake, hoping it wasn't radioactive or some kind of fantasy equivelant.
teslas
 GM, 2500 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 20:26
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
The party picks out what they think will make a good camping spot for the night, then decides to ride down to the water's edge to collect a sample before the sun completely sets for the night.

GRIM is coming along, too. And since everyone is going, I'm assuming everyone takes the chocobs.

ZEIG takes the moment to cast Cure on GRIM and LEO while everyone is mounting up.
14:19, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 14 using 1d8+6. Cure -> GRIM. MP: 49/53
14:19, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 12 using 1d8+6. Cure -> LEO. MP: 48/53


The party rides down to the lake on their chocobos. The tall grasses have a dry and pleasant smell to them, almost seeming like perfume after the week tromp through the dank and dark forest. Everyone dismounts, and ZEIG and DAI head to the water's edge with GRIM just behind them.

The water is indeed glowing. DAI takes a set of small calipers from the alchemy kit and lowers a small vial into the water. As it is filling up, he sees something move underneath the water about 5' out in front of him. Stepping back, and alerting everyone else, the party skims the water-line with inquisitive glances.

Little blue glowing wisps are floating up from the water and slowly coalescing in to a half-dozen masses about 10 to 25 feet away from the edge where everyone is standing. The chocobos seem more than a little flustered by this.

Take about 12 seconds of actions, within reason. You can position yourself however you like. The curvature of the lake is so large that the edge is pretty much just a straight line. The chocobos are 20-30 feet away from the water's edge, and the party is 5-10' away from the water's edge. The masses are, as stated, 10-25 feet away from the edge above the water.

The tall grass extends from the forest tree line (pretty far away) to about 10' away from the water. It is 2-3 feet tall, but does not impede movement in any way. One could easily drop prone to hide in it, however.

DAI, your sample (and calipers) are in one of your hands. ZEIG is holding the rest of the alchemy kit.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:44, Sat 12 Nov 2011.

JACK
 player, 1201 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 21:19
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
Jack assumes coalescing masses of wisps are bad. He draws and downs a potion of protect, draws a potion of Cure II, and moves as close to the nearest mass without stepping in the water as he can.

GM Edit-
Move action to draw potion and move.
Standard action to drink potion.
Move action to draw second potion.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:48, Sat 12 Nov 2011.

teslas
 GM, 2503 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 21:38
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
ZEIG simply says, "JACK?" then casts Shellra (MP: 43/53) on the party.

Move action to get everyone in range.
Standard action to cast.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:47, Sat 12 Nov 2011.

DAI
 player, 1363 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 22:28
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
DAI utters a quiet curse, before setting his tools down among the Mobile Alchemy Lab on the ground. He looks toward the chocobos, expecting them to run off as soon as something bad happens. He takes a moment to think on it, and decides to hold off on any real casting until he knew they were in danger. He gets his wand of Lock ready, but otherwise doesn't have a lot to do.

15:02, Today: DAI rolled 13 using 1d20+8. know(religion).
Bleh


GM Edit-
What I said in OOC. You just set the calipers and vial down on the ground, and hope nobody steps on it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:07, Sat 12 Nov 2011.

GRIM
 player, 621 posts
 Warrior ub Badassery
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 22:55
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
Grim whips out his axe and shield. "'ey lad, ye might wanna not touch that." He says to Jack.
teslas
 GM, 2507 posts
Sat 12 Nov 2011
at 23:02
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
And here you are, for everyone's convenience:

Actions Remaining:
GRIM: 2 Standard
JACK: 1 Standard
ZEIG: 1 Move, 1 Standard
DAI: 2 Standard
LEO: 2 Move, 2 Standard


~ = water
. = dirt/short grass
, = tall grass

The water gets gradually deeper at about a rate of 2' per 5' of distance away from the bank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~o~~~~o~~~~~~
~~~o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~o~~~~~~o~~~~o~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
........J.........
.,....DZG....,....
,,,,.,,,.L.,,,,.,,
,,,,,,CC,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,CC,,CC,,,,,,
,,,CC,,,CCCC,,,,,,
,,,CC,,,CC,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:08, Sat 12 Nov 2011.