Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #3.   Posted by teslas.Group: 0
teslas
 GM, 3158 posts
Thu 1 Mar 2012
at 00:41
Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #3
The party waves goodbye to GRIM, RAIF, and several dozens of grateful halflings. As a going away present, they give you each three days' worth of spiced dry snake jerky weighing three pounds. If you don't care for it, at least be courteous toss it on the ground once you're a day's ride away.

Basically unladen apart from their riders, DAI's chocobos are able to move quite quickly. The first day's worth of travel puts the party well past the point where they had turned south to raid the goblin encampment.

The party settles down to rest. It's definitely odd only having the three people, especially for ZEIG and DAI who have lost two childhood friends so far on the journey.
SILI, go ahead and play your songs. Remember, you can Take 10 on Ballad/Paeon if you wish. I'd have rolled them for you but I didn't know what you wanted to do.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:59, Thu 01 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1520 posts
Thu 1 Mar 2012
at 01:48
Re: Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps
Sili will indeed take 10, for a total of 22 for ballad which I believe barely makes it.

20:47, Today: SILI rolled 22 using 1d20+12 with rolls of 10. Perform (Oratory) (Readiness on Party).

Ballad: +6 MP
Readiness: +2 Initiative for the day.

teslas
 GM, 3160 posts
Thu 1 Mar 2012
at 02:19
Re: 8:00am Windsday, 8th week 852s
The Windsday strong is comfortably bright yet piercingly warm. Gusts of wind begin to blow through the trees. The sounds of rustling leaves and an occasional cracking of a tree branch make it harder to hear. At times the gusts reach up to 35 miles an hour coming off of the flat surface of the river. While the three of you may have had some small issue pressing against the wind, the chocobos seem cheerily unaffected.

SILI's song from the night before restores DAI's energies so that he can spend them on two more chocobos for this day. At this rapid rate of travel, the party will arrive just on the edge of the drow settlement by an hour before sundown this evening. As yet, no indication of drow patrols or presence has been noticed.

Assuming you all ate out of the Survival Pouch. Pausing here due to my RL game starting in ten minutes. You will reach your destination at the end of this day. Any changes to what potions people are carrying, etc, should be stated. Feel free to, you know, talk and stuff.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:22, Thu 01 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1725 posts
Thu 1 Mar 2012
at 03:43
Re: 8:00am Windsday, 8th week 852s
DAI chuckles a little. "Wow...it's been a couple days and we haven't run into some murderous giants...or goblins...or fucking Ghouls. Sort of like the calm before the storm..."

19:42, Today: DAI rolled 22,17 using d20+15,d20+15. potions: elemental armor(water).
Aaaand I think I botched both of those due to the DC increase on job specific potions >.>
rolled for the 2 days we've been traveling so far

teslas
 GM, 3163 posts
Thu 1 Mar 2012
at 09:40
Re: 8:00am Windsday, 8th week 852s
DAI, you would have only had one day to craft, so only going to use your first roll. You already crafted for the previous day's previous day and then for last night. You can't roll ahead for tonight.

Gonna let ZEIG have some time to craft his shiz for one day, too.

We can assume SILI takes a 10 on Ballad to restore DAI's 2 MP from summoning chocobos. And unless he posts otherwise, we'll assume he takes a 10 on his P(oratory) check to give you all a +2 bonus to initiative every day.

You guys basically have last night's activities to resolve, and then declare anything about your characters before you arrive at the drow settlement tonight.

ZEIG
 player, 1380 posts
 White Mage
Fri 2 Mar 2012
at 01:14
Re: 8:00am Windsday, 8th week 852s
20:13, Today: ZEIG rolled 18 using 1d20+11. Craft (alch) Cure for a 2nd.
20:13, Today: ZEIG rolled 19 using 1d20+11. Craft (alch) Cure.


1 cure potion, 1 halfway finished

Zeig makes his potions and stews silently.
teslas
 GM, 3169 posts
Fri 2 Mar 2012
at 08:14
Re: 8:00am Windsday, 8th week 852s
Gonna be honest with you. I somewhat doubt you get to finish that potion. Let's just say you fail to complete it in the time required and put the supplies back into vials.

ZEIG creates another potion of Cure before setting off.

The day's ride, again, is relatively uneventful. The normal sounds of the forest are mostly drowned out by the winds tearing through the branches and rustling the leaves. Some wider parts of the river, which is already quite wide, have small white crests of waves forming.

As expected, about an hour before sundown, the tress begin to thin and before you at a slightly lower elevation lies the drow settlement. The forest has been cleared in a miles-wide swath around it, though it looks as if there are some decent-sized saplings beginning to retake the land. You had been told that the river pours over a large cliff downward into the ocean. You do not see a beach of any kind, and it appears there is some kind of relief between the ocean and the edge of the land you can see, so this makes sense.

The town lies on both sides of the river with a 20'-wide stone bridge joining the two halves. The houses are made of a mixture of stone and wood that has been painted with dull grays and browns. A third of the streets are covered with lattices covered in thick, brown-looking vines of some kind. Quite a large fraction of the other roads and alleyways simply have wooden awnings and archways covering them. No lights are visible, and none of you can pick out any movement ahead. Any potential sounds coming from it would be completely ruined by the gusting wind.

All in all, it looks to be able to easily hold 3,500 souls, maybe quite a bit more, as it's likely most if not all of the houses have elaborate basements.

In the far, far distance to the northwest, sitting atop a mountain with rugged cliffs facing the party, lies the northwestern keep. Though on the edge of visibility, it'd be at least a day's ride at your current rate just to get to the path at the foot of the mountain leading up to it assuming you left from the town's edge on the other side of the river first thing in the morning.

You are roughly 3/4ths of a mile from the edge of the settlement on the southern bank of the river still mounted on your chocobos.

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:16, Fri 02 Mar 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1381 posts
 White Mage
Fri 2 Mar 2012
at 21:27
Re: 8:00am Windsday, 8th week 852s
"These Drow are pretty bad news. We should approach with caution."

Zeig wonders to himself about how they might get information or an antidote from the drow, looking doubtful about any prospects.
DAI
 player, 1731 posts
Fri 2 Mar 2012
at 21:29
Re: 8:00am Windsday, 8th week 852s
DAI had been considering this for some time, but what way could they approach cautiously without looking like they were sneaking around? "Do Drow even speak Elven? Or...would that just piss them off?" DAI wondered, though it wasn't like he was the most skilled diplomat to begin with...he wasn't his grandfather.
SILI
 player, 1521 posts
Fri 2 Mar 2012
at 21:52
Re: 8:00am Windsday, 8th week 852s
Sili reassures Dai on that front. "In and of itself, that will not be an issue. I speak Drow. But now that we're here, I have something to ask. Do you have a plan, or is this one of those "charge in and get heroically killed" kind of missions? I don't do those, myself, but I'll wish you luck. I speak well enough, but frankly, they'll probably kill us on sight. If we're lucky."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:52, Fri 02 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3171 posts
Sat 3 Mar 2012
at 04:00
Re: 8:00am Windsday, 8th week 852s
Not to interrupt, but for future reference:

Knowing what languages a race speaks and other languages they might also usually speak is like a DC 15 Knowledge (Geography) (by region) or DC 10 Knowledge (Local) (by species).

And I know it's been a while, but keep in mind everything you've heard about the Drow is that nobody has seen one for a while, or any that they have seen haven't been in great shape.

ZEIG
 player, 1383 posts
 White Mage
Sat 3 Mar 2012
at 08:12
Re: 8:00am Windsday, 8th week 852s
"I'm not looking to get killed. Our end goal is a cure to a strange disease, but first I guess we should gather information. Maybe let's not split up though, you guys ready to head in?"

Zeig starts his chocobo down towards the town, hoping for the best.
DAI
 player, 1732 posts
Sat 3 Mar 2012
at 08:14
Re: 8:00am Windsday, 8th week 852s
"Yeah...let's go not get killed, that sounds like a good idea." DAI nods, completely serious in the sense that not dying was a good idea.
teslas
 GM, 3173 posts
Sat 3 Mar 2012
at 14:52
Re: 8:00am Windsday, 8th week 852s
The party rides closer. Now only a few hundred feet away and the setting sun casting long shadows, you're all certain you can't see any activity in town.

There are several streets in which you could enter, though one large one catches everyone's eye. It looks to run straight toward the bridge, and has a large wooden lattice or awning covering it most of the way.

You're all also able to tell that quite a bit of vegetation is starting to grow up the houses near the outskirts.
ZEIG
 player, 1384 posts
 White Mage
Sun 4 Mar 2012
at 06:06
Re: 8:00am Windsday, 8th week 852s
"Well, I guess it couldn't be THAT easy.  Looks like no one's home.  Care to setup camp away from here and explore in the morning?  Wandering through an abandoned village at night just seems...messed up."

Zeig runs a finger through his hair, remembering the last time he walked through an abandoned village at night.
DAI
 player, 1734 posts
Sun 4 Mar 2012
at 07:08
Re: 8:00am Windsday, 8th week 852s
"Looks abandoned..." DAI begins leading his chocobo down the main path.
teslas
 GM, 3177 posts
Sun 4 Mar 2012
at 07:22
Re: 6:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
Note: Time is now correct in the subject line.

DAI rides slightly ahead of ZEIG and SILI and peers down the main corridor. It very much so looks abandoned. The wind rushing through the alleyways makes it all the more eerie.

It's hard to see exactly, with the large awning, but it appears as if some of the doors are open. There are pieces of wood of various laying around in the street as well.
DAI
 player, 1736 posts
Sun 4 Mar 2012
at 07:39
Re: 6:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
DAI shrugs, before going back, ready to set up camp. "I couldn't see anything, might be easier getting in then we thought."
SILI
 player, 1522 posts
Sun 4 Mar 2012
at 07:44
Re: 6:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
Since it's currently not needed, Sili won't play his songs tonight. He sets up for the night, readying for bed.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:46, Sun 04 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3178 posts
Sun 4 Mar 2012
at 08:07
Re: 6:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
SILI:

Yes it is. DAI has spent two MP for chocobos today, and he probably will again tomorrow. Also, Paeon is probably useful since it could convey some temporary hit points for the 'morrow. So yeah, play your songs and either roll or take 10 at your option.

teslas
 GM, 3179 posts
Sun 4 Mar 2012
at 08:45
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
The party camps in the swath of cut down trees about 400' away from the main corridor of the southern side of town. They find a few close-growing 5' tall saplings to bed down beneath in some sort of half-hearted attempt to conceal themselves.

SILI, an experienced bard, has small difficulty with the gusts of wind, playing his harp while sitting on the ground.

Just as the sun is setting, the party sees four halflings making their way to their camp from the tree line to the south. They are making no effort to hide themselves, though if it weren't for the high winds the grass would probably have made it nearly impossible to notice them until they were much closer.

They'll arrive in a little over four minutes.

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:45, Sun 04 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1737 posts
Sun 4 Mar 2012
at 17:22
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
DAI grumbles to himself, but then remembers the settlement...and decides to give them a chance to prove they aren't trustworthy. If any offer a handshake though, he'll respectfully decline.
ZEIG
 player, 1385 posts
 White Mage
Sun 4 Mar 2012
at 21:30
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
"Do you think they're from the village we just left?"

Zeig stands up and hails the halflings, as they obviously see the camp.

"Hello! Are you lost?"
teslas
 GM, 3181 posts
Sun 4 Mar 2012
at 21:48
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
In the distance one returns the shout, "Oy! Apparent'y not," and they continue to walk toward the three of you. The accent is familiar.

Apart from one holding a 3' long walking stick, none of them are holding anything. They will arrive within comfortable speaking distance within the minute, and it's fairly easy to understanding the shouting back across at one another over the wind.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:51, Sun 04 Mar 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1386 posts
 White Mage
Sun 4 Mar 2012
at 21:55
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
The halflings in the village never spoke to us in a way we could see their accent. Is this accent the same as theirs?

Zeig watches them approach warily and calls out again.

"Stop and identify yourselves. What do you need of us?"
SILI
 player, 1524 posts
Sun 4 Mar 2012
at 22:17
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
Sili looks on in interest, trying to place the halflings.
teslas
 GM, 3182 posts
Mon 5 Mar 2012
at 13:52
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
SILI is sure that he's never seen these halflings, though a Knowledge (local) check would help to identify their accent or potentially even who they might be once he can get a look at what they look like, are doing, and how they act.

The halflings do not stop as the same one continues shouting back. "No need for 'at kind o' talk. You jollies alrea'y cut me in 'alf once; 'course I got no mind t' cross you 'gain. Where's 'at dwarf at, anyway?"

ZEIG and SILI might catch one (or maybe both) of DAI's hands clench into a fist.
SILI
 player, 1525 posts
Mon 5 Mar 2012
at 19:05
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
Sili ignores the question. "Why were you looking for them, exactly?"
ZEIG
 player, 1387 posts
 White Mage
Mon 5 Mar 2012
at 20:19
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig blankets the party in a familiar orange light (Protectra +2 MP: 49/53) and pulls out his quarter staff and places one end on the ground, fixing the halflings with a hard glare.

"You're right, we did. Now if you don't stop and explain yourselves you might find that position a bit more permanent."

15:18, Today: ZEIG rolled 16 using 1d20+4. Intimidate.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:19, Mon 05 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3184 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 01:01
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
The halflings stop advancing. "O-kay, 'kay, no need for 'at kind o' language. 're jus' wan'in to converse a moment. All 'is yellin is giving me a headache."
DAI
 player, 1738 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 01:03
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
DAI felt like ending all this yelling with a few well-placed spells, but he held his hand.
ZEIG
 player, 1388 posts
 White Mage
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 01:06
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
"So. Let's converse. A bit windy, eh?"

Zeig waits impatiently for the halflings to spit it out.
teslas
 GM, 3185 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 01:20
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
"Damn windy, yeah. 'ow about jus' me coming for'ard?"

It would be very easy to talk amongst yourselves without them hearing due to distance and wind (and of course the same goes for them).

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:29, Tue 06 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1526 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 01:23
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
Sili mutters to the others.
DAI
 player, 1739 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 01:34
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
DAI shrugs.  He keeps his eyes and ears open, but is mostly ready to blast some halfling faces full of magic stone.
ZEIG
 player, 1389 posts
 White Mage
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 01:37
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig whispers to the others.

"Alright, come on then, so we can be about our business. Just you."
teslas
 GM, 3186 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 01:54
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
The halfling comes up. ZEIG and DAI indeed recognize him as LEIF. He walks up about eight feet away from ZEIG and then plops down, sitting, to the ground.

Removing his boots, "Hoo, feels good t' get 'ese off. I'm sure bo'f of us are 'appy to see ev'rybo'y in good 'ealth. 'ell mostly ev'rybo'y. 'eres 'at dwarf?"

LEIF is wearing two small shortswords in sheaths at his side and decent-looking studded leather armor. He has a bandolier of sorts with one throwing dagger in it, and empty spots for five more. He's got a belt with several pouches on it, as well as a small cloak.

Meta-OOC: You guys remember LEIF and his cohorts as being fairly rogue-like, and vulnerable to dwarven waraxe damage.

ZEIG
 player, 1390 posts
 White Mage
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 02:09
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
"He's gone. You'd have better luck finding him in Elfheim or that halfling village a ways back."

This message was last edited by the player at 02:21, Tue 06 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3189 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 02:32
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
LEIF examines ZEIG's face for a moment. "Ah. Moving righ' along 'en. We ne'er got a chance t' a'tually talk about why you were 'ere. Maybe we should, eh? Maybe we could 'elp, an', yeah 'eah, I realize we got'ff to a bit o' a bad start; 'et's move 'ast 'at. Maybe you lot could 'elp us, likewise, eh?"
SILI
 player, 1528 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 02:39
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
Sili steps up. "What, exactly did you have in mind?"
ZEIG
 player, 1392 posts
 White Mage
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 03:30
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...well...you can't get fooled again! They are tricksters, thieves, and poisoners, SILI. If that was all you had to say then begone from here and do not return. I'm sure Dai would relish paying you back."
teslas
 GM, 3190 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 03:43
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
"'ats'at 'hen?" LEIF slides his foot back into his boot then stands up.

"A'right. Good luck in 'ere." LEIF nods toward the empty town before the setting sun. "If, if... you lot come back 'is way, 'e'll talk 'en."

LEIF begins to walk away, stopping just at the range where he has to raise his voice to be heard over the wind without turning around, making an effort to speak more articulately than normal. "And camp further 'way you damn fools."

He joins his three comrades and walks back toward the forest. The wind appears to be dying down somewhat, and combined with the coming darkness and a likely attempt to be somewhat stealthy on their part, you lose sight of them before the tree line.
SILI
 player, 1529 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 04:16
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
Sili looks ticked off. "Even if they're tricksters, we could have heard what they had to say and then made decisions. Now, whatever they know might come back and bite us on the ass."
ZEIG
 player, 1393 posts
 White Mage
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 04:21
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
"They were friendly the first time we met. Similar to this, in fact, right before they shook hands with Dai on a deal and poisoned him, then tried to kill us and take our belongings. I don't know about you, but I couldn't trust a word that came out of his mouth after something like that. You could try to talk with them if you like, but they'll probably just harvest your gold and equipment."

Zeig seems bothered by the whole encounter, but won't give up his stance.

"They did us a great injustice, and we let them live. He may have a point about us being too close to this village though. Damn place gives me the creeps."

This message was last edited by the player at 04:30, Tue 06 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1530 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 04:27
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
"You don't have to accept what he says at face value, or let him get close enough to  poison you again. But it would have been useful knowing what he says is there - either so we can prepare for an encounter with whatever it is or know how to avoid it. Worst case scenario, we could have discovered he was lying again and kill him dead this time at the inevitable betrayal. Now, if he attacks he'll do it from ambush, when we aren't ready."
ZEIG
 player, 1394 posts
 White Mage
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 04:33
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
"Little bastards...damnit! Well, should we go after them? I don't know what to do anymore, we still had Jack and Grim the last time we ran into them, and Jack's dead now...nothing here makes any sense."

Zeig is obviously worked up.
SILI
 player, 1531 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 04:36
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
"I could probably convince them to talk, at least. Personally, I want to know what he knows; knowledge is always useful."
DAI
 player, 1740 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 05:26
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
DAI was a little...surprised that ZEIG was the one to snap. "Hey ZEIG, I didn't like it either but if they had something useful it could have really come in handy...I mean I was ready to magic up some dead halflings if he went for a weapon, but we could have heard him out first...as odd as it feels to say that." DAI sighs, then looks to SILI. "Alright, well if you're goin out to meet them I'll go with you, if nothing else as backup."
teslas
 GM, 3192 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 05:28
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
We can ret-con you calling out to them before they disappear if you wish. With the amount of discussion you've had so far, they probably aren't anywhere actually near the tree line yet, though they are probably out of vision.
ZEIG
 player, 1395 posts
 White Mage
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 05:54
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
"Alright, alright. Fine. EH LEIF! Get back over here if you wanna talk, I'm done bein' pissy."
teslas
 GM, 3193 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 07:26
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
None of you see any indication that your offer has been accepted.
SILI
 player, 1532 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 15:39
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
Sili shakes his head. "Don't worry about it. Let's sleep farther away from the town, just in case."
teslas
 GM, 3194 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 16:17
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
You are currently 400' away roughly southeast of the main entrance to the settlement. It is now full-blown dusk. Any ambient light will fade to dim moonlight within fifteen minutes.
ZEIG
 player, 1397 posts
 White Mage
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 21:35
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
"Yea, let's go ahead and do that, place is spookily empty."

2/3 for moving camp and Dai's probably ok with it! Go!
DAI
 player, 1741 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 23:15
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
Nope, DAI wants to camp IN the town!

Aye, move us on GM

teslas
 GM, 3197 posts
Tue 6 Mar 2012
at 23:40
Re: 8:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
The three of you, taking LEIF's words into consideration, pick up and move much closer to the tree line away from the town.

Throughout the night, at some point each of you thinks they hear wailing coming from the otherwise silent and still village. The amount of comfort you gain from camping further away from the village is negated by the disease you feel camping closer to the forest full of giants, over-sized snakes, bands of malicious goblins, and no telling what else.

Crafting checks, anyone? Assuming SILI takes 10 with his Ballad to give DAI back his 2 mp. Not sure if he wants to roll for Paeon (don't have the source material handy, can you give temporary HP by taking a 10?)
DAI
 player, 1742 posts
Wed 7 Mar 2012
at 01:08
Re: 8:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
17:08, Today: DAI rolled 20 using 1d20+15. back to making hastes I guess.

Or not, that works too >.>

ZEIG
 player, 1398 posts
 White Mage
Wed 7 Mar 2012
at 01:18
Re: 8:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
20:46, Today: ZEIG rolled 24 using 1d20+13. Craft (alch) Cure. (2 hours)
20:47, Today: ZEIG rolled 21 using 1d20+13. Craft (alch) Cure 2nd. (4 hours)

This message was last edited by the player at 01:47, Wed 07 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1533 posts
Wed 7 Mar 2012
at 01:37
Re: 8:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
Yes, taking 10 lets me grant 5 thp to everyone.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:41, Wed 07 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1743 posts
Wed 7 Mar 2012
at 01:38
Re: 8:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG:
20:17, Today: ZEIG rolled 18 using 1d20+11. Craft (alch) Cure.

Don't forget the +2 for DAI aiding you, and the +2 from our lab.
teslas
 GM, 3200 posts
Wed 7 Mar 2012
at 12:50
Re: 10:00am Iceday, 8th week 852s
I have updated the alchemy supplies remaining. ZEIG, add two Cure potions to your inventory.

The party eats breakfast while staring at ominous dark blue and black clouds overhead. Apparently yesterday's wind was bringing today's storm clouds.
Survival or Knowledge (Nature) (penalized)

The party finishes eating breakfast, and packs up their things. The clouds overhead put an imposing backdrop behind the keep on up on the cliff far to the northwest. No thunder is heard.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:07, Wed 07 Mar 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1401 posts
 White Mage
Wed 7 Mar 2012
at 17:37
Re: 10:00am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Great weather. Well, no time like the present."

Zeig helps pack up and readies himself to explore the village.
DAI
 player, 1749 posts
Wed 7 Mar 2012
at 21:05
Re: 10:00am Iceday, 8th week 852s
13:05, Today: DAI rolled 4 using 1d20+1. survival.
Meh, could be done untrained but I failed


DAI follows suit, ready to move onward and past the halflings.
SILI
 player, 1534 posts
Wed 7 Mar 2012
at 21:23
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
16:23, Today: SILI rolled 11 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 8. Survival.
teslas
 GM, 3202 posts
Wed 7 Mar 2012
at 22:50
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
DAI and SILI inspect the clouds, and they definitely indicate some kind of precipitation.

Making your way onto the main avenue through town, you can see a line of buildings with signs hanging on either side. For all that you may have heard about the dark elves, their town appears fairly close in nature to any human settlement.

Due to the cloud cover and the awning and thick, brown plants growing over the street for most of the length of it, it's fairly hard to see. Some of the doors are open, and looking a bit closer and longer, you're pretty sure that they've simply been ripped off of their frames and thrown in the street.

You enter carefully, keeping your eyes peeled. SILI squints and reads off some of the signs to you as you walk by.

You find the equivelent to an alchemist's shop. There's a sign on the ground next to another building with a closed door that looks to be a black and red mage scroll scribe, and what might pass for a drow clinic. There's another few large buildings that have no signs but look to have been some kind of business.

Do you guys make any light sources?

DAI
 player, 1750 posts
Wed 7 Mar 2012
at 22:52
Re: 7:00pm Windsday, 8th week 852s
DAI will use Illuminate, limited to 3 times if possible. Takes his time(20) searching the alchemist's shop or scroll scribe, unless ZEIG handles one.
ZEIG
 player, 1403 posts
 White Mage
Wed 7 Mar 2012
at 22:55
Re: 9:00am Iceday, 8th week 852s
It's not 7PM on Windsday anymore, I'm pretty sure. Isn't it early morning Iceday? I wouldn't make any light sources unless the clouds were really starting to darken things up.

GM Edit-
Thank you for reminding me. I updated the day in the party status thread but forgot to do it in the subject line here. Fixed.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:17, Thu 08 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3204 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 00:19
Re: 9:00am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Most of the areas down the main avenue and in around 2/3 of the other streets and alleyways have dim illumination (you know, 20% miss chance and you are able to hide). The insides of all of the buildings are definitely completely unlit apart from what shines in through the door or possibly windows, though these buildings have few windows, and those are usually shuttered.
DAI
 player, 1752 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 00:21
Re: 9:00am Iceday, 8th week 852s
When(if) they search the houses, DAI will cast illuminate on something to aide in allowing them to see(as I stated earlier, not sure if you missed that).
ZEIG
 player, 1404 posts
 White Mage
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 00:35
Re: 9:00am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Well, if we're going to begin I say that's a good of a place as any to start. Maybe we'll find something useful, if not what we intended."

Zeig points over towards the supposed black/red magic shop.

After entering, Zeig will cast illuminate on his staff.
DAI
 player, 1753 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 00:36
Re: 9:00am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI follows, ready to fight, aid in search, or take a 20 searching himself.
teslas
 GM, 3205 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 04:43
Re: 9:00am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Both DAI and ZEIG enter the scroll scribe and cast Illuminate on some of their equipment. ZEIG, his staff, and DAI, his hat. SILI brings up the rear.

The first impression you get of the shop is that nobody's set foot inside of it for at months, if not longer. The front door was left open, but the one, large window in the front of the structure is shut with a bar hung on large hooks attached to the wall behind it to lock it.

There is a large counter with what used to be glass display cases, much like you'd expect in this type of business. Glass shards lay all over the floor and inside the cases. No scrolls can be seen laying in them any longer. The three of you gingerly approach the counter and peer over it. There appears to be a pile of papers and cloth inside of a large, toppled-over armoire that something had used to make into a nest. While none of you are experts in such matters, you'd all guess it looks as if it's abandoned. Survival or Knowledge (nature) (penalized).

There are three metal safes behind the counter, two small ones underneath it and one larger one built into it. The smaller ones look as if they've had their locks simply drilled out and sit open and empty. The larger one has its lock bent and marred, beyond use, and remains closed.

There is a back room that is as large as the first that has the remnants of a bed, several writing desks, and a few open and empty footlockers. There is also a trap door on the floor which is closed that presumably leads into a basement of some kind. All in all the structure is roughly 40'x55' with each room taking up equal-sized rectangles of the floor plan. There is no floor above the first.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:59, Thu 08 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3206 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 04:52
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Not wasting much time, ZEIG and DAI rummage through the old animal nest. They find plenty of hair and old droppings. It is clear that much of the paper material making the nest are parchments or scrolls. Judging by the volume, many of them were probably blank, but remnants of writing persists on some of the fragments. There are enough pieces there to sadden both mages.

The writing desks in the back have some old inkwells with hard ink dried to the bottoms of them. It looks as if they'd been sitting there, open, for at least a couple of months. It's odd to leave an inkwell sitting open to the air, especially since the inks used to scribe magical scrolls can be somewhat expensive.

You find a box set of some exquisitely-decorated ink-pens inlaid with mithril and silver tucked in a false back of a drawer. SILI and DAI converse about what they might be worth while ZEIG continues to look through the other desks. They wager each pen, of which there are five, is worth at least 50 gold. The set together might fetch more, especially back in Cornelia where drow craftsmanship is a very collectable thing.
22:49, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 13 using 1d20+4.
22:49, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 16 using 1d20+6. appraise.

The five pens and their carved wooden box weighs 3 lbs.

ZEIG's heart soars for a moment as he finds a scroll with a black ribbon tied around it. Opening it up, he finds instructions on how to properly tie a ribbon around a scroll.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:58, Thu 08 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1535 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 05:21
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili eyes the safe, but realizes that there's no way for him to open it up.

"All right. What's in the basement?"

This message was last edited by the player at 05:22, Thu 08 Mar 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1405 posts
 White Mage
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 05:22
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"I'm right behind you, definitely worth a look. I wonder where they all ran off to."

Zeig heads over to check out the basement with Sili after placing the pens in his handy haversack.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:35, Thu 08 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3211 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 05:41
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
SILI reaches down and pulls on the trap door. It rises about three inches before the party hears a *TWANKG* and a snapping noise from down below, then the sound of metal plinking off of stone.

Standing motionless and breathless, nothing happens for a few moments. Pulling on the trap door again reveals that something's keeping it closed. It sounds like a chain is rattling. There is, of course, no light coming from the basement that you can see while the door is open for the few inches it will.
SILI
 player, 1537 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 05:46
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili carefully searches for a switch, or key, around the trapdoor.

Taking 10 if possible, 17 for each 5 by 5 square. Otherwise will roll.
teslas
 GM, 3212 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 05:52
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
You can take a 10, and it's pretty easy to tell that the handle on the bottom of the trap door is chained to something. If you lay your head on the ground and stare in you can see the chain and the handle it's attached to.
ZEIG
 player, 1407 posts
 White Mage
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 05:56
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig looks around for something metal he can use to pry the door with, hoping to break the chain or splinter the wood around the hinges.

"Maybe we can pry it up with something?"
SILI
 player, 1538 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 05:57
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili looks to the other 2. "Can you break the chain with magic?"
ZEIG
 player, 1409 posts
 White Mage
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 06:03
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Not me, I make stuff better. What about you, Dai? Wanna take a shot at it?"
teslas
 GM, 3213 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 06:04
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
The three large hinges of the trap door are solid iron with several bolts placed into the wooden floor. If you had some time and the correct tools, it would be little issue to remove them.

There's the writing desk legs that you could probably break off comparatively easy to anything else, though they don't seem as thick and sturdy as the trap door and its frame, and surely not the chain itself.


The door is only wood, albeit sturdy as hell. Like all barriers in D&D, you can just muscle through it (discounting things that require a Disintegrate or Dispel Magic >_>). Sadly, the party is short on the muscly types at the moment. DAI could probably aim and hit the chain with one of his spells without issue through the small gap.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:04, Thu 08 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1754 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 07:19
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI takes a full round to line up his shot, then fires a magical stone at the chain, the first blast does little more then scuff it, but the second larger chunk makes quick work of the spot he had been aiming at.

23:17, Today: DAI rolled 24 using 2d10+8. fuck you rpol.
23:17, Today: DAI rolled 12 using 2d10+8. Stone damage vs Chain.
23:18, Today: DAI rolled 5,18 using d20,d20. only a 1 could miss.

teslas
 GM, 3216 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 15:32
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI's spells rattle the chain around intensely. After they settle, he can see that he's managed to bend one of the links a bit.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:05, Thu 08 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1539 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 17:41
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili looks at the bent link. "I don't think this is going to work."
ZEIG
 player, 1412 posts
 White Mage
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 21:32
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Yea, I suppose not. What about that house that had the door ripped off? Just looking for clues now, we could always head towards the keep after finishing here."
DAI
 player, 1755 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 21:51
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI seemed a little miffed about the chain. "Well...I weakened it a bit, and SILI has proven pretty good at replenishing my magics so far-Thanks for that by the way-so I'm willing to try a couple more..." DAI then takes a moment to line up his shot again, firing another blast of stone at the weakened link, it does nothing, a second proves just as effective. Reasonably miffed, DAI grumbles and walks away from the blasted chain.

13:51, Today: DAI rolled 19 using 2d10+8. need to do 26 to break it.
13:50, Today: DAI rolled 10 using 1d20. last shot.
13:50, Today: DAI rolled 15 using 2d10+8. Once more!
13:50, Today: DAI rolled 6 using 1d20. did I miss?

MP 50/54

This message was last edited by the player at 21:52, Thu 08 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3221 posts
Thu 8 Mar 2012
at 22:05
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI sends some more stones off into the gap under the door that break apart. The chain holds firm, though it is now damaged.

You're using a level one spell to essentially hit an iron chain with a (rather powerful) wooden spoon. Next time just spend the MP on a level 2 or 3 spell, damn it. After Conserve MP you might even end up spending less total mana.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:06, Thu 08 Mar 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1419 posts
 White Mage
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 00:28
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig kicks the door and walks out of the shop, heading over to check out the clinic.
teslas
 GM, 3228 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 01:57
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
The clinic is across the street and about a half a block away.

I need to know the order in which you go through the door of the clinic. And there's no reason, so don't meta you bastards >_>

edit-
spelling

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:57, Fri 09 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1756 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 01:58
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Figure it was ZEIG/DAI first with the light, then SILI in the back since mages are way tougher then bards.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:58, Fri 09 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3229 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 02:23
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG peers into the clinic, holding his staff first. It's about twice the size as the black mage scroll scribe, though unlike the clinics you might be used to in Cornelia and Elfheim, there seems to be a small waiting room 10'x15' and then a long hallway with many small rooms.

The waiting room has a desk and several chairs, though most are overturned and/or partially damaged while being spread all about. No light appears to be coming from inside.

ZEIG steps in with DAI following.
20:02, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 9 using 1d20-4. Spot.
20:02, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 12 using 1d20-1. Spot.
20:01, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 13 using 1d20+4. Spot.
20:29, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 8 using 1d20+5. MILO Spot

As SILI moves to follow them, he feels an odd prickly sensation on his back which quickly turns to horrible pain.

Attack roll hidden for sekret mystery fight.
20:03, Today: teslas rolled 64 using 1d100. 50% miss chance.
20:04, Today: teslas rolled 7 using 1d6+2. physical damage.
Additional 1 point of Constitution damage.


The party turns to see the frame of a glowing ghastly drow form half-rising out of the ground, shortsword extended into SILI's backside. It speaks in a crazed voice.

DAI and ZEIG immediately recognize it as a ghost. ZEIG, on the other hand, has written a book about this particular ghost.
20:07, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 28 using 1d20+9. Know (relig).
20:07, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 22 using 1d20+8. Know (relig).


They are both able to remember some ghosts have supernaturally horrifying appearances, and succesfully avoid the instinct of looking directly at it for the time being.
20:12, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 14 using 1d20+4. DC 10 Reflex.
20:12, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 15 using 1d20+2. DC 10 Reflex.

You must avert your eyes each turn (read the SRD on how this works) which will help you avoid making the save or screwed Will save, though it carries with it all the normal penalties.

SILI, on the other hand, is not so lucky, and feels his soul crumble before the sight of the glowing undead figure.
20:16, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 15 using 1d20+5. Will save.
20:16, Today: teslas rolled 1 using 1d4. constitution damage.
20:16, Today: teslas rolled 3 using 1d4. dexterity damage.
20:16, Today: teslas rolled 4 using 1d4. strength damage.

Keep in mind of what this does to your carry weight, speed, etc.

MILO is furious at the pain his master has received, completely ignoring the normally awe-inspiring dread.
20:18, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 22 using 1d20+2. MILO Will save.

Initiative and map to follow.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:02, Fri 09 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3232 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 02:37
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
The ghost is holding a shortsword in each hand and is in a stance half-submerged into the road that suggests that it has received exotic martial training of some sort. One shortsword has a dull dark-blue aura around it while the other bubbles with an other-wordly lighter-blue tint. It is wearing a battered, torn, and broken chain shirt that looks as if it'd provide basically no protection if it were on a corporeal body. Finally, a long and tattered black cloak is flowing to the west in wind that none of you can feel.

Round 1: (surprise round has already passed)
21: DAI
21: ZEIG
17: Ghost
14: MILO
 6: SILI


- = wall
| = wall
d = desk (you could dive behind this for cover)

---- --- 
 d  
 Z  
--------D------- -
........SM........
........G.........
..................
..................

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:12, Fri 09 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1757 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 03:05
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI shivers somewhat at the(partially hidden from sight) vision before him, wasting not a moment as he shoots forth a blast of womd wind from his hand and moves slightly further into the shop(15ft up).

19:04, Today: DAI rolled 88 using 1d100. 50% miss chance(low hits).
19:03, Today: DAI rolled 7 using 1d100. low = ignore gaze.

MP 49/54.

Just realized that rolling miss chance first is kind of lame since I could have gone "I'll use Fire if it would hit...". Will keep this in mind for future rounds and roll attack first(clearly stating the spell I had in mind)

GM edit-
"womd" is a 5th level spell, cheater. Fixed.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:10, Fri 09 Mar 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1421 posts
 White Mage
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 03:16
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig moves up 5' and shouts "Spirit, return to the earth!" as he looses a flash of radiant light. Harm
22:15, Today: ZEIG rolled 10 using 1d8+5. Harm.
MP: 52/53
teslas
 GM, 3235 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 03:25
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG is as unphased by the ghost's appearance as MILO seems to be.
21:20, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 27 using 1d20+10. Will vs. Horrifying Appearance.

The wave of holy energy washes over it, dissolving tiny pieces of its hair and cloak.

Its gaze shifts from SILI to ZEIG. It speaks through gritted teeth as it ascends out of the ground to the northwest. It releases a flurry of swift strikes toward ZEIG, all squarely passing through his body with no effect.
21:23, Today: teslas rolled 25 using 1d100. miss chance attack 4 of 4.
21:23, Today: teslas rolled 29 using 1d100. miss chance attack 3 of 4.
21:23, Today: teslas rolled 17 using 1d100. miss chance attack 2 of 4.
21:23, Today: teslas rolled 21 using 1d100. miss chance attack 1 of 4.

Roooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooofles.

MILO, unsure of what to make of the situation, waits for his master's instruction.

Round 1:
21: DAI
21: ZEIG
17: Ghost
 6: SILI
 6: MILO


- = wall
| = wall
d = desk (you could dive behind this for cover)

----D--- 
 d  
  
--------Z------- -
.......GSM........
..................
..................
..................

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:29, Fri 09 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1543 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 03:34
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili realizes there isn't anything Milo can do to the ghost, and calls out "Milo, down!" tumbles and moves back 15 ft. into the house, drawing his harp while moving. When he gets inside he tries to play the ghost to sleep.

22:33, Today: SILI rolled 26 using 1d20+15 with rolls of 11. Perform (Harp) (Lullaby on Ghost).
12:05, Today: SILI rolled 18 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 16. Tumble (ghost, dc 15).

This message was last edited by the player at 17:10, Fri 09 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3240 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 18:34
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
SILI nimbly ducks back into the clinic. The ghost shows no sign of SILI's song having affected it.

MILO snarls at the ghost, but keeps his position, not wanting to move past it to enter the building. Total Defense.

Round 2:
21: DAI
21: ZEIG
17: Ghost
 6: SILI
 6: MILO  - Total Defense


- = wall
| = wall
d = desk (you could dive behind this for cover)

----D--- 
 S  
  
--------Z------- -
.......G.M........
..................
..................
..................

DAI
 player, 1758 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 20:51
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI fires off a gout of flame at the ghost, after moving down-right 2 squares. MP 47/54

For some reason rpol isn't letting me highlight or copy-paste right now(checked other pages, it works there).

14:48, Today: DAI rolled 39 using 3d12+9. fire damage.
14:48, Today: DAI rolled 1 using 1d4. MP reduction.
14:48, Today: DAI rolled 13 using 1d20. conserve MP(12-14).
14:48, Today: DAI rolled 38 using 1d100. miss chance(low hits).
14:47, Today: DAI rolled 17 using 1d20+6. Fire RTA vs Ghost.
15:14, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 58 using 1d100. avert eyes %.


OOC: I also cannot highlight anything to change its color...gonna try restarting IE

GM Edit-
Why the FUCK are you using IE? Get a god damn clue and use anything else. Opera, Safari, Chrome, Firefox... anything.

Also, helped you format it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:14, Fri 09 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3241 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 21:00
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI aims his spell through the doorway as best he can, but the ghost ducks underneath it as if practiced at such a thing.

Round 2:
21: DAI
21: ZEIG
17: Ghost
 6: SILI
 6: MILO  - Total Defense


- = wall
| = wall
d = desk (you could dive behind this for cover)

---- --- 
 S  
 D  
--------Z------- -
.......G.M........
..................
..................
..................

ZEIG
 player, 1422 posts
 White Mage
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 21:09
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig takes a 5' step up and right (up does not mean towards the ghost) and unleashes another wave of holy judgement while attempting to avert his eyes from the horror. Harm
16:08, Today: ZEIG rolled 10 using 1d8+5. Harm.
MP: 51/53
teslas
 GM, 3242 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 21:21
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG, you already passed your save vs. its horrifying appearance. You don't have to save again, or avert your eyes, for 24 hours.

More holy energy washes over the ghost, dissolving small pieces of it.

The ghost follows ZEIG into the doorway of the structure, speaking more in a tongue that ZEIG and DAI cannot understand.

He brings his shortswords to bear onto ZEIG again and solidifies his place as the most bad-assed harmless enemy you've encountered to date.
15:18, Today: teslas rolled 37 using 1d100. miss chance attack 4 of 4.
15:18, Today: teslas rolled 83 using 1d100. miss chance attack 3 of 4.
15:18, Today: teslas rolled 4 using 1d100. miss chance attack 2 of 4.
15:18, Today: teslas rolled 41 using 1d100. miss chance attack 1 of 4.

Sekret attack roll hidden for his second mainhand attack. He critically missed.

Round 2:
21: DAI
21: ZEIG
17: Ghost
 6: SILI
 6: MILO  - Total Defense


- = wall
| = wall
d = desk (you could dive behind this for cover)

---- --- 
 S  
 ZD  
--------G------- -
.........M........
..................
..................
..................

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 21:21, Fri 09 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1544 posts
Fri 9 Mar 2012
at 23:09
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili dives behind the desk and tries a different song.

18:08, Today: SILI rolled 3 using 1d4 with rolls of 3. Damage.
18:08, Today: SILI rolled 18 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 5. Perform (Harp) (Requiem on Ghost).


18/3=6, 3rd level song, DC 16

GM Edit-
The Color Nazi strikes again.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:12, Sat 10 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3247 posts
Sat 10 Mar 2012
at 03:12
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
The ghost seems displeased by SILI's song.

MILO takes a 5' step away from the ghost, snarling at it.

Round 3:
21: DAI
21: ZEIG
17: Ghost - Requiem
 6: SILI
 6: MILO  - Total Defense


- = wall
| = wall
d = desk (you could dive behind this for cover)

---- --- 
 S  
 ZD  
--------G------- -
..................
..........M.......
..................
..................

DAI
 player, 1763 posts
Sat 10 Mar 2012
at 03:18
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI grumbles since he was going to dive behind that desk. He tries his best to avoid looking on the ghost but ends up meeting its gaze and...feeling somewhat let down with its lack of effect on him. He quickly decides that his time was better spent firing blasts of wind at the thing, hoping to knock it back some...and wondering if that was even feasibly possible, but doesn't have to bother checking since he missed again. Not wanting to stay this close, he moves a bit upward and ends with his back to the corner of the room.

19:15, Today: DAI rolled 24 using 1d20+6. will save*cross fingers*.
19:15, Today: DAI rolled 80 using 1d100. low=ignore gaze this round.
19:17, Today: DAI rolled 10 using 1d20+6. Aero RTA vs ghost.

MP 46/54

This message was last edited by the player at 03:25, Sat 10 Mar 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1424 posts
 White Mage
Sat 10 Mar 2012
at 04:33
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig moves 5' up away from the ghost.
"We need to get rid of the real body..."
Harm
23:33, Today: ZEIG rolled 12 using 1d8+5. Harm.
MP: 50/53

This message was last edited by the player at 04:34, Sat 10 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3249 posts
Sat 10 Mar 2012
at 14:23
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
A slightly larger collection of portions of the ghost dissolve after ZEIG's spell.

As the ghost takes a step up to ZEIG, it moves its feet and legs move as if walking, but the speed at which they move is disproportionate to the speed at which he appears to be traveling. It brings both shortswords toward ZEIG again. Two of the strikes actually manage to deal damage as they pass through him. Like SILI, ZEIG feels his heart stutter when the dark blue one cuts him. The other bubbles and fizzles as it touches him.
08:20, Today: teslas rolled 3 using 1d6+2. physical damage. Off hand.
08:20, Today: teslas rolled 4,2 using 1d6,1d6. water damage, ice damage.
08:19, Today: teslas rolled 9 using 1d6+3. physical damage. Main hand.
Additional 1 point of Constitution damage.

Sekret attack rolls.
08:17, Today: teslas rolled 26 using 1d100. miss chance attack 4 of 4.
08:17, Today: teslas rolled 11 using 1d100. miss chance attack 3 of 4.
08:17, Today: teslas rolled 95 using 1d100. miss chance attack 2 of 4.
08:17, Today: teslas rolled 69 using 1d100. miss chance attack 1 of 4.


Round 3:
21: DAI
21: ZEIG
17: Ghost - Requiem
 6: SILI
 6: MILO  - Total Defense


- = wall
| = wall
d = desk (you could dive behind this for cover)

---- --- 
 S   ZD  
 G  
-------- ------- -
..................
..........M.......
..................
..................

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:40, Sat 10 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1545 posts
Sat 10 Mar 2012
at 16:35
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Where is the real body!?"

too bad Milo isn't a cadaver dog.

Sili tries again, a better performance this time.

11:34, Today: SILI rolled 3 using 1d6 with rolls of 3. Damage.
11:33, Today: SILI rolled 29 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 16. Perform (Harp) (Requiem on Ghost).


29/3=9, 5th level song, DC 18 will save for half.
teslas
 GM, 3250 posts
Sat 10 Mar 2012
at 17:24
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
SILI redoubles his Requiem, over-writing the last. MILO moves into the doorway, watching extremely uneasily, but following his master's command.

Round 4:
DAI's turn.

Be aware MILO has moved.

DAI
 player, 1764 posts
Sat 10 Mar 2012
at 17:37
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
My position hadn't been updated, I should be in the top-right corner, not that it makes a huge difference for what I'm about to do.

DAI dislikes the close proximity of the Ghost, and tries an awkward sideroll to end his movement just right of the desk SILI is now hiding behind. He then raises a hand and tries firing some magical rubble at the ghost, since it's worked so well against 99% of everything else.

09:36, Today: DAI rolled 20 using 2d10+8. KILL IT WITH ROCKS!
09:36, Today: DAI rolled 2 using 1d100. miss chance, low hits.
09:36, Today: DAI rolled 21 using 1d20+6. RTA Stone vs Ghost.

09:35, Today: DAI rolled 7 using 1d20+6. cross-class tumble GO! DC 15.
MP 45/54

teslas
 GM, 3251 posts
Sat 10 Mar 2012
at 17:55
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
I went back and fixed your position. Sorry for missing it. Very non-sober.

DAI's cartwheel doesn't dissuade the ghost at all. It strikes out at him, passing its shortsword directly through his neck. Apart from a cool and tingling sensation, DAI is unharmed.
11:45, Today: teslas rolled 29 using 1d100. AoO miss chance.

The ghost attempts to dodge the magical rocks, but is pegged squarely in the hip.

Round 3:
21: DAI
21: ZEIG
17: Ghost - Requiem
 6: SILI
 6: MILO  - Total Defense


- = wall
| = wall
d = desk (you could dive behind this for cover)

---- --- 
 SZ  
 G  
-------- ------- -
..................
..........M.......
..................
..................

ZEIG
 player, 1425 posts
 White Mage
Sat 10 Mar 2012
at 18:02
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig moves 5' up/left and some of his wounds stitch together as he begins to emit a soft blue glow. Cure - Pax. DC 22
13:00, Today: ZEIG rolled 9 using 1d8+6. Cure - Zeig.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:48, Sun 11 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3253 posts
Sun 11 Mar 2012
at 19:19
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Tell me the damn DCs!

The ghost's gaze shifts to DAI. It moves in and moves to swipe a shortsword through DAI's torso, who reacts by throwing up a barrier of ice around himself.
13:15, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 3 using 1d4. MP conserved.
13:15, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 18 using 1d20. Conserve MP 18-20.
Ice Armor. MP: 44/54

The sword passes through him harmlessly.
13:13, Today: teslas rolled 39 using 1d100. miss chance vs. DAI.
The ghost is markedly angered, and speaks about it.

Remember to roll your Requiem damage on your turn, good sir.

Round 3:
21: DAI
21: ZEIG
17: Ghost - Requiem
 6: SILI
 6: MILO  - Total Defense


- = wall
| = wall
d = desk (you could dive behind this for cover)

----Z--- 
 SDG  
  
-------- ------- -
..................
..........M.......
..................
..................

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:24, Sun 11 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1546 posts
Sun 11 Mar 2012
at 23:36
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili continues to focus on the song, not moving from behind the desk.

19:35, Today: SILI rolled 4 using 1d6+1 with rolls of 3. Requiem Damage.
teslas
 GM, 3255 posts
Mon 12 Mar 2012
at 16:35
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
SILI's song continues to tear at the ghost's form.

MILO watches uneasily, hair raised and teeth exposed.

Round 4:
21: DAI
21: ZEIG
17: Ghost - Requiem
 6: SILI
 6: MILO  - Total Defense


- = wall
| = wall
d = desk (you could dive behind this for cover)

----Z--- 
 SDG  
  
--------M------- -
..................
..................
..................
..................

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:35, Mon 12 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1765 posts
Mon 12 Mar 2012
at 17:10
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI will delay until after ZEIG, hoping another of his Harm spells will end the thing.
ZEIG
 player, 1426 posts
 White Mage
Mon 12 Mar 2012
at 17:37
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig takes a 5' step SE (down/right) and unleashes another wave of holy judgement.
13:35, Today: ZEIG rolled 6 using 1d8+5. Harm.

"Damnable thing, what happened in this town?"
teslas
 GM, 3256 posts
Mon 12 Mar 2012
at 19:30
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
After the most recent front of energy washes over the ghost, it is apparent that it is quite ragged. There are many pieces missing from it, and in several large places it is much more translucent than when it first appeared. It acts no differently, however.

"Silence, slave." It turns back to ZEIG.

DAI's turn. Keep in mind that ZEIG has moved 5' southeast.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:35, Mon 12 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1766 posts
Mon 12 Mar 2012
at 21:27
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI does another awkward somersault, ending his movement 5ft SE, 10ft E, before turning and trying to fire off another Stone spell.

14:27, Today: DAI rolled 20 using 2d10+8. KILLS IT!
14:26, Today: DAI rolled 30 using 1d100. low means I hit.
14:26, Today: DAI rolled 18 using 1d20+6. Stone RTA PBS vs ghost MP 43/54.

14:25, Today: DAI rolled 12 using 1d20+6. tumbling black mage!
teslas
 GM, 3257 posts
Mon 12 Mar 2012
at 21:50
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
The ghost stabs DAI in the arm as he moves by.
15:42, Today: teslas rolled 5 using 1d6+3. physical AoO damage.
Additional one point of constitution damage.
Sekret attack roll.
15:41, Today: teslas rolled 61 using 1d100. AoO miss chance.

His Ice Armor absorbs all of the physical damage, but the sickening feeling of the wound moves through his body like an echo.

He fires off his spell, and the ghost ducks underneath it as it had before, obviously highly trained.

The ghost looks back to ZEIG, takes a 5' step, floating about an inch above the ground, and gives him the full volley of shortsword swipes.
15:48, Today: teslas rolled 3,6 using 1d6,1d6. water damage, ice damage.
15:48, Today: teslas rolled 11 using 2d6+4. critical physical damage.

Sekret critical confirm roll.
Sekret attack roll.
15:47, Today: teslas rolled 52 using 1d100. miss chance attack 4 of 4.
15:47, Today: teslas rolled 21 using 1d100. miss chance attack 3 of 4.
15:47, Today: teslas rolled 23 using 1d100. miss chance attack 2 of 4.
15:47, Today: teslas rolled 26 using 1d100. miss chance attack 1 of 4.

All four attacks clearly pass through ZEIG's body, but only the fourth appears to have actually made any real contact. The ghost spits in growing fury.

Remember to roll your Requiem damage, sir, even if you play another song.

Round 4:
21: ZEIG
21: DAI
17: Ghost - Requiem
 6: SILI
 6: MILO  - Total Defense


- = wall
| = wall
d = desk (you could dive behind this for cover)

---- --- 
 S  GZ  
 D  
--------M------- -
..................
..................
..................
..................

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:53, Mon 12 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1547 posts
Mon 12 Mar 2012
at 22:01
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili continues to play his song.

18:01, Today: SILI rolled 3 using 1d6+2 with rolls of 1. Requiem Damage.
ZEIG
 player, 1427 posts
 White Mage
Mon 12 Mar 2012
at 23:19
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig steps 5' east and brings the pain.
19:18, Today: ZEIG rolled 12 using 1d8+5. Harm.
"Slave this, ass!"
teslas
 GM, 3260 posts
Mon 12 Mar 2012
at 23:33
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
The ghost is not... re-dead. DAI's turn.
DAI
 player, 1768 posts
Mon 12 Mar 2012
at 23:41
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI tries to run diversionary tactics...he casts Haste(defensively) on ZEIG saying: "Get away from this thing, ZEIG!" and moves to dart out of the shop as far as he can(using Ice armor if attacked).

16:41, Today: DAI rolled 2,17 using d20,d20. conserve MP haste/armor. 12-14.
damn, MP 35/54

teslas
 GM, 3261 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 01:19
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
You didn't describe your destination, so I'll take my best guess.

The ghost, now barely visible at all, cuts at DAI as he leaves.
19:04, Today: teslas rolled 5 using 1d6+3. physical damage.
sekret attack roll
19:03, Today: teslas rolled 100 using 1d100. AoO miss chance.

DAI, as before, had thrown up a layer of Ice Armor which absorbs all of the physical damage, but the blow still leaves his body weakened.

The ghost continues his assault against ZEIG.
19:09, Today: teslas rolled 1 using 1d100. miss chance attack 4 of 4.
19:09, Today: teslas rolled 40 using 1d100. miss chance attack 3 of 4.
19:09, Today: teslas rolled 82 using 1d100. miss chance attack 2 of 4.
19:09, Today: teslas rolled 1 using 1d100. miss chance attack 1 of 4.
19:11, Today: teslas rolled 5,6 using 1d6,1d6. water damage, ice damage.
19:10, Today: teslas rolled 7 using 1d6+2. physical damage.

Sekret first offhand attack roll.

SILI, most likely not happy to see ZEIG fall unconscious from blood loss, readies himself to act just as the ghost dissipates into nothingness.
19:14, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 4 using 1d6+3. Requiem damage.

ZEIG is at -3 hit points and knocked out. He will continue to bleed, though one of you, hopefully will just walk up to him and administer a Cure potion you must be carrying with all of the ones ZEIG... oh wait, none of except ZEIG have them listed in the party inventory. It will take two rounds to administer him one of his, so I'll assume this happens.
19:16, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 19 using 1d100. stabilization #2 of 2.
19:16, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 23 using 1d100. stabilizatino #1 of 2.

19:17, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 6 using 1d8+1. Cure potion.

ZEIG, you have one hit point. Please remove a Cure potion from your inventory.

Remember, you know that this ghost will remain unable to return to this plane of existence in the next 36 hours at a minimum, and as long as a little over a week. Either of you may want to inform SILI as such.

teslas
 GM, 3262 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 01:23
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
As the ghost fades, its voice rings out from an imperceptible source, "Damn you, elf. You will not be spared."

Everyone gains 825 EXP for overcoming the encounter.
DAI
 player, 1769 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 01:33
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI walks up and administers one of the nine cure potions he has in his belt pouch(check my inventory post again, note how I haven't edited it in days). IF ZEIG stays unconscious he'll use a second(roll for me if necessary, gonna be offline for a while)

18:33, Today: DAI rolled 3 using 1d8+1. cure potion to ZEIG.

GM Edit-
Just use ZEIG's since I already rolled for it and it's better. Don't use one of yours. Good of you to edit your inventory post now.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:40, Tue 13 Mar 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1428 posts
 White Mage
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 01:45
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig plays doctor with himself, then moves on to the others. He describes the ghost to the others, and makes mention of how it is probably not the only one around.

21:29, Today: ZEIG rolled 2 using 1d8+1. Cure Potion - Zeig.
21:29, Today: ZEIG rolled 3 using 1d8+1. Cure Potion - Zeig.
21:29, Today: ZEIG rolled 9 using 1d8+6. Cure - Zeig.
21:29, Today: ZEIG rolled 14 using 1d8+6. Jesus christ.

MP: 46/53

Paraphrased from this:

This is a ghostly drow. You know that ghosts can have a myriad of special qualities that make them dangerous to fight, the foremost difficulty being that magical weapons are required to harm them, and even then it's spotty. You know all the undead traits that it possesses, and know that ghosts can gain the benefit of magical items that are left on the corpse, wherever that may be. Finally, you also know how ghosts are created, and that destroying them only causes them to dissapate for a limited time. (OOC: Just go read the entry on ghosts in the SRD. You know all of what they are able to do


"We need to find the body and get rid of it. It also probably has useful equipment on it, because those phantom swords were working all kinds of magic on me. It got you pretty good, Sili. Allow me to help."

21:42, Today: ZEIG rolled 2 using 1d4. Restore (STR) - Sili.
21:43, Today: ZEIG rolled 4 using 1d4. Restore (DEX) - Sili.
21:43, Today: ZEIG rolled 3 using 1d4. Restore (CON) - Sili.
21:43, Today: ZEIG rolled 2 using 1d4. Restore (CON) - Dai.

MP: 34/53
SILI
 player, 1549 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 03:50
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Thanks Zeig. Let's get searching."
DAI
 player, 1773 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 03:57
Re: 9:45am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI nods. "Yeah...sooner we find and possibly destroy the body, the better." DAI shook his head, disliking the idea of fighting a ghost every time they came through this town, which hopefully wouldn't be that often to begin with. "It was kind of coming through the ground at first...think maybe that means the body was buried somewhere nearby?"
teslas
 GM, 3266 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 06:08
Re: 10:15am Iceday, 8th week 852s
SILI tells MILO to wait inside near the door while the three of you give the inside of the clinic a once-over. As you were discovering before you were interrupted, unlike clinics you are used to seeing, this one is very subdivided. All of the dozen rooms have one flat table inside and each door to each room has several locks--each room's door is open and unlocked save one.

The basement level is every bit as large as the ground floor, and appears to be devoted to the staff and record-keeping. Unfortunately, all of the books are encoded in something that is not simple Undercommon. One room is of particular note. You find some kind of small spider-like idol with sharpened legs jutting out away from the sides of it. Beneath it the floor is stained a dark brown.

ZEIG recognizes it to be an idol of Lolth, the dark elf goddess, from a book he had earlier read in Elfheim's library. DAI remarks that he was just about to say that. ZEIG goes on to guess the stain is blood from some sort of sadistic ritual, or more likely, rituals. With that, the party continues searching the rest of the basement.
23:58, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 17 using 1d20+8. Know (relig).
23:58, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 20 using 1d20+9. Know (relig).
23:57, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 8 using 1d20+3. Know (relig).


Like the black mage scroll scribe, this building looks to have been looted at some point--most likely at least four or five years ago. Even so, tucked away in one of the desks, the party finds a collection of three vials. SILI comments that one of the vials is labeled "Cure III". DAI and ZEIG think the color looks a little odd for a curative potion, and DAI quickly inspects it, hoping to be able to identify it without he and ZEIG having to resort to the alchemy kit later when camp is made.
00:01, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 27 using 1d20+13. Spellcraft to identify potion.
Glad he was able to tell before potentially drinking it, DAI is certain it's a potion of Blizzard II. Having already tasted a Cure II potion before, the other vial appears to be correctly labeled.

You find:
1x Remedy
1x potion of Cure II (CL 3rd)
1x potion of Blizzard II (CL 7th)

The Remedy item is hard to fake or mislabel, so trust the DM on that.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:18, Tue 13 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3271 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 16:18
Re: 10:30am Iceday, 8th week 852s
The alchemists' shop is similar in size to the black mage scroll scribe. The top floor is essentially empty, as expected.

The bottom floor, however, is a different story. You find what would have been a well-stocked workshop. Many of the supplies are rotten, have their containers broken, or are otherwise spoiled, but given time ZEIG and DAI think they could pick through the materials and salvage some of them. You guess you could probably easily pick out 7-8lbs of supplies within a minute, more if you were lucky. Roll a Search check and we will use the aid another rules (SILI can't search because he's not a trained alchemist but since he's a Bard his Cheer ability applies). If you take a 20, be prepared to spend an hour here, but you'd get enough to fill up a haversack or two.

Against one wall lies a mostly in-tact masterwork alchemy lab. It will take four castings of Mending and fifteen minutes for both DAI and ZEIG to reposition everything and clear the dust/cobwebs out.

Coming to expect false backs in desk drawers, seriously the woodcrafter who made these was was making a killing, SILI starts prying them open when DAI and ZEIG are inspecting the alchemy supplies and lab. He finds four vials.

Alchemist's Fire
Alchemist's Lightning
Flask of Acid x2

You can create alchemical solutions of all six elements. Alchemist's Lightning functions exactly the same as a normal thrown splash weapon and deals 1d6 points of splash damage to those wearing metal armor or using a light or heavier metal shield instead of the normal 1.

This message was last updated by the GM at 16:19, Tue 13 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1776 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 20:28
Re: 10:30am Iceday, 8th week 852s
13:28, Today: DAI rolled 15 using 1d20+4. search before cheer/aid.
teslas
 GM, 3276 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 20:42
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI opts to dive in and see what he can scrounge up without having to take too much time sorting through everything and in the process mussing things up even more. ZEIG... holds his staff so you can see.
14:39, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 3 using 1d20+2. Search.
SILI, assists as well, intuitively following what DAI is looking for and suggesting he's found some things.

You find 19 lbs of salvageable alchemy supplies.

By the way, your Illuminate spells are due to expire, like, right now. In fact, they just did.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:43, Tue 13 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1551 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 20:49
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili will help Dai and Zeig put the alchemist supplies the bags

He would also have grabbed the most important looking gibberish-filled book to decipher later. If I can't retcon that in, he'll just do that after helping put up the alchemist stuff.
ZEIG
 player, 1435 posts
 White Mage
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 20:55
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig readies another Illuminate spell on his staff as they continue to tear around town.
DAI
 player, 1778 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 21:09
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI readies himself to move with the others, suggesting ZEIG hold off on the Illuminate until they actually reach the next house, to make it last the longest. He also reminds them that they should look for some kind of graveyard perhaps, or an area where a body might be stashed.
teslas
 GM, 3278 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 22:08
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
None of the books are labeled, though one is sitting on a desk rather than filed away in one of the cabinets. The books only have one thing written on the spine, though it is encoded.

Across the street from the alchemist's shop is a large two-story house. The front set of double doors has had one pried off of its hinges. The heavy wooden door's several locks are all still engaged as it lays face down just beneath the entryway.

ZEIG casts Illuminate on his staff again.

There are many stone pedestals inside that look to have supported large statues or perhaps suits of armor in the main room. Remnants of tapestries are hanging near the 20' tall ceilings, indicating that whatever was hanging was simply ripped down.

There is a stairwell leading up and doors to either side of you, both of which are open. The one to the left seems to lead into a sitting room of some kind while the one on the right clearly opens into a hallway. Underneath the stairs, near the eastern wall is a closed door. Common sense dictates it's probably a closet or a stairwell down to the basement, though of course it is possible for drow architecture to differ.

MILO sniffs the air, and then lets out a low growl.

S = stairs to second floor, they rise upward from the west
# = closed doors

SSS#S
 
 
    M
DSZ
--# --

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:13, Tue 13 Mar 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1437 posts
 White Mage
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 22:13
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
18:11, Today: ZEIG rolled 5,5 using d20+4,d20+4. Spot/Listen.
Alright, this is getting out of hand. Time for some drastic measures.

Zeig takes a quick look around the house and decides that he needs some help to get his head straight. He reaches into his bag, pops the cork off of a bottle of Old Cornelian, and takes a mouthful right there before replacing it in his bag.
DAI
 player, 1779 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 22:13
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
15:13, Today: DAI rolled 5,6 using d20+1,d20+1. spot/listen.
teslas
 GM, 3279 posts
Tue 13 Mar 2012
at 22:14
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
You see each other. You both hear MILO growling.
ZEIG
 player, 1439 posts
 White Mage
Wed 14 Mar 2012
at 01:10
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig will follow Miloh towards whatever he might be growling at if he goes anywhere. Otherwise, sitting room it is.

What's that, boy? There's a drow corpse in the well?
DAI
 player, 1783 posts
Wed 14 Mar 2012
at 01:12
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI pulls out his wand of Lock that totally would have helped last fight, and readied himself for another ghost.
SILI
 player, 1554 posts
Wed 14 Mar 2012
at 01:57
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili looks to Milo, trying to determine what he's growling about and if there's anything to be wary of.

Growling itself rarely means anything but a potential enemy. For the rest Milo's body language should tell Sili a lot.  Such as if he's growling and staring in a corner, there may be an enemy in the corner even if we can't see it. Where is Milo looking while he's growling?
teslas
 GM, 3282 posts
Wed 14 Mar 2012
at 01:59
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
MILO remains in the main room until SILI moves, which he'll follow as usual. The hair on his back is standing on end.

The sitting room has a large and ornately decorated fireplace. The stonework is exquisite. There is a musty and rotting old couch made of fine fabric in the room with a matching set of comfortable-looking chairs. There are a few overturned wooden chairs and tables around the edges of the room.

A closet door remains open, and inside quite a few sets of what passes for drow clothing that have been absolutely decimated by moths and mold.
ZEIG
 player, 1440 posts
 White Mage
Wed 14 Mar 2012
at 19:50
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig continues going over the house with the hallway.

Unless otherwise meeting an obstacle or someone else does something differently, systematically searching the rest of the house, 1st floor first, scary possibly basement door next, then upstairs.
teslas
 GM, 3283 posts
Wed 14 Mar 2012
at 20:32
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
The party continues the process of searching the house. The hallway leads to a washroom, a dining room, and a kitchen. Rummaging through some of the things, the party is able to find some iron cook-ware. The cabinet where the finery may have been kept has had its front bashed in near the lock.

Opening the door to the basement releases a musty and grossly sweet odor--the kind that you can taste as much as you smell. MILO's growling grows a bit louder. A small light can be seen coming from the bottom of the stairwell.

The stairs are just shy of what you would call "cramped". They are simple wooden planks with no decorations. The wall to the left stops about 8' off of the basement floor (and opens up into what is a room of some kind). The wall to the right continues all the way down. The stairs descend a total of about 15'.

I need to know the order you proceed down the stairs.

SILI
 player, 1555 posts
Wed 14 Mar 2012
at 20:54
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
I call middle.
ZEIG
 player, 1441 posts
 White Mage
Wed 14 Mar 2012
at 20:56
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Are we 8th level yet? I'll take the back, Dai has Ice Armor at least.
teslas
 GM, 3284 posts
Wed 14 Mar 2012
at 21:02
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
SILI and ZEIG give DAI the eye.
DAI
 player, 1784 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2012
at 00:15
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI looks at the two of them, then sighs and goes to take point. "I swear...the day a Black Mage is the toughest one among us, is a sad day indeed..."
teslas
 GM, 3285 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2012
at 00:22
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Attempting to be stealthy or anything? Any spells? Just walking on down?
ZEIG
 player, 1442 posts
 White Mage
Thu 15 Mar 2012
at 00:51
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig isn't really the sneaky type, and Milo is making a lot of noise.
Shellra and Protectra for +2 Saves and +2 AC.

MP: 25/53
DAI
 player, 1785 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2012
at 00:55
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
teslas:
Attempting to be stealthy or anything? Any spells? Just walking on down?

DAI has his wand of lock, and is readying an Ice Armor if something tries attacking him.
teslas
 GM, 3288 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2012
at 19:50
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI begins to walk down the stairway. The smell gets more and more foul with every step. SILI is behind him, on the landing at the top with ZEIG leaning in to shed his light down. MILO is outside next to ZEIG, watching the party's flank and still looks extremely uneasy.

The light at the bottom of the stairs flickers slightly, like some kind of torch. Not a single sound can be heard apart from an occasional creaking step. Just as DAI is about to calm down, he sees something large flit at him from the left.
14:33, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 16 using 1d20+1. Spot.

DAI is unable to react in time, and sees a giant pair of pincers mounted on a huge insectoid head come straight at him. Everyone on the staircase sees much the same thing, except only a grossly-huge pair of antenna frantically tasting DAI's body and the very tip of enormous pincers as they narrowly miss him. It appears to have been curled up against the ceiling, and is attacking you from this hiding spot. You have cover relative to it. Knowledge (nature) if you're able to see a good bit of the creature (so far only DAI has).

DAI can feel the pincers scrape past his cloak a slight bit, barely missing him due to the odd angle at which it came out of its hiding place.
14:43, Today: teslas rolled 14 using 1d20+11. #1 bite vs. DAI.

MILO barks hearing the ruckus but unable to see it, and waits for instructions from his master.

Round 1: Surprise round has already occurred
14: SILI
14: MILO
14: Bad Guy(s?)
 8: ZEIG        - Flat-Footed
 4: DAI         - Flat-Footed


We're going to rely on our imagination for this fight until it's necessary to do something else. The stairwell is not a fun situation to draw. SILI, DAI is 10' away from you, essentially west 10' and below 8'. The stairs end about 5' further down and empty out into a room. You are behind the door into the stairwell, and ZEIG is leaning in from the outside room with MILO next to him.

You already know what the ground floor looks like from the previous map.

Whatever is making the light in the basement and ZEIG's staff are the two light sources. The basement light is providing dim illumination at the base of the stairs, as is ZEIG's staff.

SILI, you cannot see the creature from where you are, though you absolutely noticed it reaching out to attack DAI.


edit-
Fixed post. With cover, as I said, a 14 misses a flat-footed DAI. Woohoo!

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:55, Thu 15 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1557 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2012
at 20:35
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili will back up 5 ft., draw his harp, order Milo to protect Dai, and play march to speed up Zeig. Then his harp bursts into flame. He doesn't quite manage it.

16:35, Today: SILI rolled 14 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 1. Perform (Harp) (March on Zeig).

teslas
 GM, 3290 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2012
at 20:50
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
MILO barks again and then runs down the stairs. He runs past DAI, then notices something that he apparantly doesn't like above him and to his left. He rears back on his haunches, ready to bite at anything that attacks DAI.

DAI, MILO is now below you at the bottom of the stairwell.

DAI and MILO are treated to witness a horrible series of events.

SILI and ZEIG, outside in the top room, cannot see anything, although they hear a massive amount of chattering and clicking and grotesque biological sounds. They then hear MILO's empty jaws snap shut followed by furious growling.

Round 1:
14: SILI
14: MILO
14: Bad Guy(s?)
 8: ZEIG
 4: DAI         - Poisoned, Flat-Footed


ZEIG, you are in the main room just outside of the doorway down to the stairwell. If you take a 5' step you will be at the top landing of the stairs, and will be able to see DAI and MILO and a very small amount of the room below. You can proceed what is effectively 10' of movement down the stairs next to DAI and see the rest of the room if you wish.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:57, Thu 15 Mar 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1443 posts
 White Mage
Thu 15 Mar 2012
at 20:56
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Twice damned..."
Zeig casts Aquaveil on himself and proceeds down the stairs to see what horrible eldritch demon is waiting for them.
MP: 22/53
teslas
 GM, 3292 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2012
at 22:21
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG is let in on the secret.

DAI's turn. DAI, ZEIG is just above you on the stairs and MILO is below you standing on the basement floor.

edit-
Wording change to avoid ambiguities.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:23, Thu 15 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1788 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2012
at 22:33
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI, now ready to rant for about a day on the stupid things he's seen, now including gigantic fucking centipedes, fires off a wide shot of flame, before trying to backflip up the stairs and out of the basement.

15:32, Today: DAI rolled 16 using 1d20+6. cross-class tumble.
15:32, Today: DAI rolled 15 using 1d20. conserve MP 12-14.
15:30, Today: DAI rolled 8 using 1d20+6. Fire(RTA)(PBS) vs Centipede.

MP 29/54
teslas
 GM, 3294 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2012
at 22:45
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI's spell, though inaccurate, can't help but collide with some part of the centipede as it takes up nearly half of the room. It squeals in pain, stinging everyone's ears.
16:39, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 19 using 3d12+8. Fire damage.

Although a competent attempt by DAI, the stairs increase the difficulty of nimbly getting away from the centipede. It still manages to bite at him as he's leaving, and DAI in turn throws up a shell of Ice Armor as the pincers dig into his skin. MP: 26/54
16:41, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 16 using 1d20. Conserve MP Ice Armor
16:36, Today: teslas rolled 18 using 2d8+9. damage.
16:38, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 20 using 1d20+8. Fortitude vs. poison.
16:35, Today: teslas rolled 29 using 1d20+11. 'pede AoO bite vs. DAI.

Again it seems as if it's not injecting enough poison to take immediate effect on DAI.

Round 2:
14: SILI
14: MILO
14: Bad Guy(s?)
 8: ZEIG
 4: DAI         - Poisoned x2


DAI, you can make it to pretty much any square near the door upstairs, apart from the one SILI is in. If we all move upstairs I'll make the map.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:34, Fri 16 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1558 posts
Thu 15 Mar 2012
at 23:03
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili moves to right in front of Zeig, and plays a Mazurka to speed the party. (5ft. morale bonus to movespeed)
19:01, Today: SILI rolled 19 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 6. Perform (Harp) (Mazurka on Party).

This message was last edited by the player at 23:03, Thu 15 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3296 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 00:07
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
SILI moves into the stairwell and sees the head of a giant centipede staring at ZEIG. The floor is also moving in some parts, but he's not quite sure why at a glance.
17:52, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 12 using 1d20+3. Know (nature).

MILO bites the giant centipede, then runs up the stairs and joins DAI's side.
17:54, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 10 using 1d6+4. MILO bite damage.
17:54, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 24 using 1d20+6. MILO bite vs. #1.


The giant centipede climbs up and furls itself back up against the ceiling of the basement out of view.

The massive swarm of larvae moves up the stairs, covering ZEIG completely, almost able to make it to SILI. Hundreds of tiny little stings and bites begin to coat ZEIG's body.
18:03, Today: teslas rolled 6 using 2d6. swarm damage vs. ZEIG.

I'm not sure how accustomed to fighting swarms you guys are, so forgive me to break immersion and copy this:

Distraction (Ex)
Any living creature that begins its turn with a centipede swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 13 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round.


Round 2:
14: SILI
14: MILO
14: Bad Guy(s?)
 8: ZEIG        - Swarmed
 4: DAI         - Poisoned x2

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:34, Fri 16 Mar 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1444 posts
 White Mage
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 00:13
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig nearly vomits when the maggots cover his body and struggles to move up the stairs and out of the basement.
20:11, Today: ZEIG rolled 10 using 1d20+9. Fort Save - Divine Grace.
Rpol has been AMAZINGLY vindictive lately.
teslas
 GM, 3297 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 00:29
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Keep in mind your movespeed has a +5' Morale bonus from SILI.

Round 2:
14: SILI        - 10' of movement down stairway.
14: MILO
14: Bad Guy(s?)
 8: ZEIG
 4: DAI         - Poisoned x2


sss#s
Z
DM

--# --

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:34, Fri 16 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1790 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 00:55
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI shivers upon seeing ZEIG's fate...and moves 10ft down before readying another Fire for if the larger enemy shows their face...mandibles...exoskeleton.
SILI
 player, 1559 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 01:01
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili moves out of the stairway (10 ft.) and tries to get Zeig to go faster. (+1 Initiative/round for 3 rounds).

21:00, Today: SILI rolled 24 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 11. Perform (Harp) (March on Zeig).
teslas
 GM, 3299 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 01:10
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
MILO follows DAI.

The small swarm of larvae make it up and out of the stairwell, coating SILI completely.
19:06, Today: teslas rolled 10 using 2d6. swarm damage vs. SILI.
19:07, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 10 using 1d20+6. Fortitude vs. poison (forgot).
They dig into his skin, some burrowing under. He feels his skin burning, and then his extremeties start to become numb.
19:08, Today: teslas rolled 3 using 1d4. dexterity damage.

They continue to spill out, almost reaching ZEIG.

Round 3:
14: SILI        - Poisoned x1
14: MILO
14: Bad Guy(s?)
 8: ZEIG        - March
 4: DAI         - Poisoned x2, Readied Action

, = swarm

sss#s
Z,S
,,

DM
--# --
ZEIG
 player, 1446 posts
 White Mage
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 01:30
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Light 'em up Dai, I'm no good!"

Zeig moves 5' SW away from the swarm and patches up the party's wounds and the familiar light lingers on Sili. Heal - Bless Sili (+4 to Fort saves for 2 rounds)
21:28, Today: ZEIG rolled 10 using 1d8+7. Heal.
11 to Zeig, Physician Heal Thyself
DAI
 player, 1792 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 02:12
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI nods, and decides to put his focus on the bugs that were present for now, tossing another dart of fire, this time aiming at the bugs and hoping he didn't set the floorboards aflame.

19:10, Today: DAI rolled 18 using 3d12+8. damage.
19:10, Today: DAI rolled 19 using 1d20+6. Fire(RTA)(PBS) vs swarm.
Getting a little tired on these damage rolls...it's like why bother using Fire at all?

19:10, Today: DAI rolled 15 using 1d20. 12-14 conserve.
MP 23/54

And that's the second conserve I've failed by 1 on...but I guess ZEIG has it a bit worse, and we are likely leveling from this fight so may as well burn up the MP.
teslas
 GM, 3302 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 02:30
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Several dozen, of thousands, of the insects pop and sizzle, but for the most part it looks entirely unharmed. You get the idea you may have to use some kind of area of effect magic to harm enough of them to have any chance of dispersing the group.

SILI, read above about that DC 13 Fort save you get to make at the start of your turn. Also keep in mind that you get a +4 Sacred bonus from ZEIG because he loves you.

Round 4:
14: SILI        - Poisoned x1, Swarmed
14: MILO
14: Bad Guy(s?)
 9: ZEIG        - March
 4: DAI         - Poisoned x2, Readied Action

, = swarm

sss#s
,S
Z ,,

DM
--# --

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:00, Fri 16 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1561 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 03:55
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
23:51, Today: SILI rolled 24 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 16. Fort (DC 13).

Sili holds it together and goes further into the room, away from the swarm. (5 ft. step left-down). He plays his song for Dai...

23:54, Today: SILI rolled 14 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 1. Perform (Harp) (March on Dai).

...but there are icky bugs on his harp and he has to shake them off.
teslas
 GM, 3303 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 04:16
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
SILI trudges through the horde of insects, ending his movement in the same situation he started it.

MILO is a bit confused, and holds his ground.

The swarm stretches out between ZEIG and SILI. It's is now in an 'L' shape.
22:12, Today: teslas rolled 8 using 2d6. swarm damage to SILI.
22:12, Today: teslas rolled 5 using 2d6. swarm damage to ZEIG.

22:13, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 9 using 1d20+7. Fortitude vs. poison.
22:13, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 21 using 1d20+8. Fortitude vs. poison.

22:14, Today: teslas rolled 3 using 1d4. dexterity damage.
SILI is able to resist the poison, but ZEIG is not.

Round 4:
14: SILI        - Poisoned x2, Swarmed
14: MILO
14: Bad Guy(s?)
 9: ZEIG        - Poisoned x1, March
 4: DAI         - Poisoned x2, Readied Action

, = swarm

sss#s
 
Z,S
    ,
DM
--# --
ZEIG
 player, 1450 posts
 White Mage
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 04:40
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Move to the west, I'm going to force them back!"

Zeig takes a 5' step south and readies himself to activate the Staff of the Deep towards the NE after Sili moves out of the way.

GM edit-
You forgot something


23:08, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 26 using 1d20+6. DC 13 Fortitude vs. swarm.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:08, Fri 16 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1793 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 04:44
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI will move 15ft West, and ready another Fire for if the swarm survives, or the centipede bursts into the room.
teslas
 GM, 3304 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 05:09
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Round 5:
14: SILI        - Poisoned x2, Swarmed
14: MILO
14: Bad Guy(s?)
10: ZEIG        - Poisoned x1, March
 4: DAI         - Poisoned x2, Readied Action

, = swarm

sss#s
 
,,S
  Z ,
D   M
--# --

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:09, Fri 16 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1562 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 05:19
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili moves down-left 2 squares and throws up on Dai.

01:18, Today: SILI rolled 9 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 1. Fort (DC 13).
teslas
 GM, 3306 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 05:51
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
SILI crunches his way through the bugs all over the floor.

ZEIG uses his staff, launching a wall of water across the swarm.
23:43, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 12 using 2d8+5. Water (AoE) damage.
23:39, Today: teslas rolled 15 using 1d8+7. swarm reflex.
Final damage: 9


While many insects are drowned out and dispersed, the swarm is still going strong. DAI casts Fire and does absolutely no appreciable damage, in case you missed it the first time. I wish the game designers had given you guys alchemist's fire or something before this encount... oh right.

MILO moves to the exterior doorway, whimpering slightly.

The swarm envelops everyone. It's a 10' square over the three of you. DAI throws up a barrier of ice.
00:10, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 2 using 1d4. MP conserved.
00:10, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 20 using 1d20. Conserve MP Ice Armor.

23:47, Today: teslas rolled 6 using 2d6. vs ZEIG.
23:47, Today: teslas rolled 8 using 2d6. vs DAI.
23:47, Today: teslas rolled 3 using 2d6. searm damage vs SILI.

23:49, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 12 using 1d20+10.
23:49, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 23 using 1d20+6.

Everyone is coated with a myriad of stings and bites, though DAI's shell of ice absorbs all of it. One crawls up SILI's nose and bites him.
23:50, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 3 using 1d4. dexterity damage.

SILI, your bonus to fortitude saves has ended, good sir.

Round 6:
14: SILI        - Poisoned x3, Swarmed
14: ZEIG        - Poisoned x1, Swarmed
14: DAI         - Poisoned x2, Swarmed
14: MILO
14: Bad Guy(s?)

, = swarm

sss#s
 
 
,Z
DS
--#M--

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:12, Fri 16 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1563 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 07:36
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili moves to the far wall to the right.
03:35, Today: SILI rolled 10 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 6. Fort (DC 13).
ZEIG
 player, 1453 posts
 White Mage
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 07:58
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Guys, we gotta get outta here. They don't stop coming."
03:56, Today: ZEIG rolled 8 using 1d8+7. Heal.
MP: 16/53

After settling the light on the party it again lingers on Sili. Bless +4 to fort for Sili Zeig moves as far towards the entrance as he can, out if the door is open.

GM Edit-
Stop forgetting these, damn it


02:07, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 22 using 1d20+6. Fortitude vs. Nausea.

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:08, Fri 16 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1798 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 09:37
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
You tend to get on my case when I post without you reposting initiative order when not specified that it is okay.

02:34, Today: DAI rolled 22 using 1d20+4. fort vs nausea.
DAI shakes some of the bitier bugs off of him as he makes his way outside. "Damn this village, damn that chain, damn that ghost, and damn these fucking bugs!" DAI will cast Fast(if able, not sure when Ice Armor got worked in) and zip outside in a straight line from the door, ready to start firing or doing something.

OOC: So Fire isn't really enough to actually set stuff on fire, anything flammable near the building I might be able to work with?

teslas
 GM, 3316 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 20:25
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
SILI jogs across the room, opting to stay in the zone of death.

DAI puts it in third gear and jogs down the street outside. Fast. MP: 17/54
I had you run to the east since it was the direction you could go the furthest without losing sight of everyone from running into an alleyway. There are buildings all up and down this street to the north and south of you.

MILO stays near the doorway, whimpering, not wanting to let SILI leave his sight, but trying to keep an eye on DAI as instructed.

The swarm coats SILI once again.
14:24, Today: teslas rolled 5 using 1d6. other half, oops.
14:24, Today: teslas rolled 5 using 1d6. swarm damage vs. SILI.

14:24, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 29 using 1d20+10. Fortitude vs. poison.

Don't forget your DC 13 Fortitude for a full turn, or that you get a +4 Sacred bonus from ZEIG for two rounds.

Round 7:
14: SILI        - Poisoned x4, Blessed (+4 Fort), Swarmed
14: ZEIG        - Poisoned x2
14: DAI         - Poisoned x2
14: MILO
14: Bad Guy(s?)

, = swarm
. = pavestones

sss#s
 
 

  |   ,,S|
--|--#,--|--
     M.
.........................D...................
......Z......................................
.............................................
.............................................

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:22, Fri 16 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1564 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 20:48
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili leaves the house and double moves, calling out to Milo to follow. (2 squares left, 2 down, 4 right)

GM Edit-
You forgot to post it.


14:47, Today: SILI rolled 17 using 1d20+8 with rolls of 9. Fort (DC 13).

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:20, Fri 16 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3318 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 21:18
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
The next person to miss reading something, and then reading it again when I explicitly tell them, loses 50 EXP. There's been way too much of this recently.

It slows down the game for everyone, and causes me to nerd rage.

If you guys want a break or we're moving too fast, let me know. It's ok to slow down and take your time and read everything.

edit-
And checking the dice roller he at least rolled it, but didn't include it. Forgivable, but this still stands.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:21, Fri 16 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3319 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 21:22
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Round 7:
14: SILI        - Poisoned x4, Blessed (+4 Fort), Swarmed
14: ZEIG        - Poisoned x2
14: DAI         - Poisoned x2
14: MILO         
14: Bad Guy(s?)

, = swarm
. = pavestones

sss#s
 
 

  |   ,,,|
--|--#,--|--
     M.   S
.........................D...................
......Z......................................
.............................................
.............................................

ZEIG
 player, 1455 posts
 White Mage
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 21:35
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig retrieves the alchemist's fire from his handy haversack (move action) and casts Basuna on Sili.
MP: 15/53

This message was last edited by the player at 21:35, Fri 16 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1801 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 21:38
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI moves 5ft down-left and then 55ft left.
teslas
 GM, 3320 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 21:53
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
SILI feels remarkably better, having had several ounces of poison making its way through his circulatory system.

MILO joins SILI's side, still whimpering, obviously not liking to be so close to the swarm.

The mass of insects comes out of the house and head for the closest thing they can: ZEIG. An arm comes out and attempts to make it to SILI, but can't quite manage it.
15:51, Today: teslas rolled 5 using 2d6. swarm damage vs. ZIEG.
15:51, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 25 using 1d20+6. Fortitude vs poison.

Round 8:
14: SILI        - Blessed (+4 Fort)
14: ZEIG        - Poisoned x3, Swarmed
14: DAI         - Poisoned x2
14: MILO         
14: Bad Guy(s?)

, = swarm
. = pavestones

sss#s
 
 

  |      |
--|--# --|--
     .. ,,SM
.......,.....................................
......Z......D...............................
.............................................
.............................................

SILI
 player, 1565 posts
Fri 16 Mar 2012
at 22:51
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sil takes a 5 ft. step to the right and plays March for Zeig.

18:50, Today: SILI rolled 24 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 11. Perform (Harp) (March on Zeig).

DAI
 player, 1802 posts
Sat 17 Mar 2012
at 03:39
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
20:38, Today: DAI rolled 9 using 1d20+6. Aero(RTA)(PBS) vs swarm

DAI, lacking anything else to do, tries blasting some of the bugs away from ZEIG as he readies his flask of alchemist's fire.
ZEIG
 player, 1457 posts
 White Mage
Sat 17 Mar 2012
at 03:42
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
23:41, Today: ZEIG rolled 12 using 1d20+5. Fort.
Zeig nearly throws up but moves as far as he can to the east.
teslas
 GM, 3323 posts
Sat 17 Mar 2012
at 03:58
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI blows a quarter of the swarm flying off to the west. While it doesn't appear to have injured many of them, it will take the chunk time to coalesce back with the rest.

MILO takes a step behind his master while continuing his expressions of displeasure.

Despite the swarm's reduced size and speed, it is still able to envelop SILI and MILO.
21:54, Today: teslas rolled 5 using 2d6. swarm vs. MILO.
21:54, Today: teslas rolled 12 using 2d6. swarm vs. SILI.

21:55, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 17 using 1d20+4. Fortitude vs poison.
21:55, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 13 using 1d20+8. MILO fortitude vs. poison.


Round 9:
15: ZEIG        - Poisoned x3, March (+1)
14: SILI        - Poisoned x1, Swarmed
14: DAI         - Poisoned x2
14: MILO        - Poisoned x1, Swarmed
14: Swarm       - 1/4 dispersed

, = swarm
. = pavestones

sss#s
 
 

  |      |
--|--# --|--
     ..
..........,SM................................
............ZD...............................
.............................................
.............................................

ZEIG
 player, 1458 posts
 White Mage
Sat 17 Mar 2012
at 04:08
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig attacks the swarm with the alchemist's fire, throwing it into the square next to SILI, and moves away 15' SW from the swarm of maggots.
00:06, Today: ZEIG rolled 14 using 1d20+3. Alchemist's Fire vs. Swarm, RTA. 00:08, Today: ZEIG rolled 6 using 1d6. FIRE.

GM Edit-
Targetted square.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:59, Sat 17 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3325 posts
Sat 17 Mar 2012
at 04:58
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG chucks the alchemist's fire into the horde of tiny insects. It bursts open, spewing burning liquid all over them. Several thousands of pops and crackles can be seen, heard... and smelt.

SILI takes 1 point of fire damage.

Round 9:
15: ZEIG        - Poisoned x3, March (+1)
14: SILI        - Poisoned x1, Swarmed
14: DAI         - Poisoned x2
14: MILO        - Poisoned x1, Swarmed
14: Swarm       - 1/4 dispersed, on fire

, = swarm
. = pavestones

sss#s
 
 

  |      |
--|--# --|--
     ..
..........,SM................................
.............D...............................
.............................................
.............................................

SILI
 player, 1568 posts
Sat 17 Mar 2012
at 22:14
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
18:13, Today: SILI rolled 5 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 1. Fort (DC 13).

Sili stumbles 20 ft. to the east.
teslas
 GM, 3333 posts
Sat 17 Mar 2012
at 22:22
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
You'd need Improved Precise Shot for something like that, I'd say (though there are no literal rules for this). Please hit a different square. Remember that the swarm is also in the square where SILI just came from.
DAI
 player, 1806 posts
Sat 17 Mar 2012
at 22:29
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Oh yes, how could I have forgotten >.>

DAI moves 20ft East and then fires on the swarm where SILI had just been standing.

15:20, Today: DAI rolled 12 using 2d8+8. Damage(meh).
15:19, Today: DAI rolled 14 using 1d20+6. Aero(RTA)(PBS)
Reflex DC 15 to avoid knockback.

teslas
 GM, 3334 posts
Sat 17 Mar 2012
at 23:09
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
With that, enough of the swarm is dispersed, burned, or drowned so that the remaining insects scatter in all directions.

Everyone gains 400 Experience Points for surviving the ordeal.

I believe this may level two of you up, so we're going to pause here for a moment.
ZEIG
 player, 1460 posts
 White Mage
Sun 18 Mar 2012
at 04:03
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s

00:02, Today: ZEIG rolled 3 using 1d4. Restore (CON) - Zeig.
00:02, Today: ZEIG rolled 4 using 1d4. Restore (STR) - Sili.
00:02, Today: ZEIG rolled 3 using 1d4. Restore (DEX) - Sili.
00:01, Today: ZEIG rolled 4 using 1d4. Restore (DEX) - Sili.

MP: 3/53 before level up
ZEIG
 player, 1463 posts
 White Mage
Mon 19 Mar 2012
at 07:01
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig nearly vomits again watching the vermin scatter, but feels a renewed strength after the encounter.

"Urgh, what a terrible place. That bastard addressed me as slave, on top of the disease ridden maggots! I am inclined to burn the entire village to the ground, no joke. Perhaps in this manner we will destroy the body of that drow so his spirit cannot reform to renew his assault upon us. What a vile plague upon this earth these creatures and their machinations with Lolth have wrought."

After a long pause, "I don't know how to even begin confronting this task. 4 people, sent off into the wilderness to magically coerce a hostile creature of unimaginable power to undo the damage it has already done. Now we are 2 and a friend. I just don't know what can be done, but I would like to send the filth of this village to the next world already. By fire, be purged and return to the earth. That's what I say."

Zeig waves around an unlit lantern excitedly.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:03, Mon 19 Mar 2012.

DAI
 player, 1811 posts
Mon 19 Mar 2012
at 07:06
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Burn down the village? Hmm...there could be some items of worth that might be destroyed- Namely potions, scrolls or wands, but it might make handling the bugs and finding bodies simpler." DAI nods, the idea did tempt him somewhat, though unfortunately his spells weren't that good at actually starting fires, just causing intense temporary heat.
SILI
 player, 1570 posts
Tue 20 Mar 2012
at 02:35
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili will express his desire to leave. "If we're going to burn this place down, we should get to it, carefully. However we could simply get the hell out."
ZEIG
 player, 1465 posts
 White Mage
Tue 20 Mar 2012
at 17:57
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"I guess it probably is a waste of time. We don't even know if the body would be taken care of by the fire. I suppose we should head on towards the keep?"
DAI
 player, 1812 posts
Tue 20 Mar 2012
at 23:31
Re: 10:32am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI shrugs. "We're just gonna have to run away from, or deal with the ghost when we come back through. But sure, let's just move on."
teslas
 GM, 3345 posts
Wed 21 Mar 2012
at 06:55
Re: 11:00am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Satisfied" with their experiences so far in the apparently-abandoned village, the party hops up on some of DAI's trusty chocobos. Going to assume you took off your necklace before summoning them.

Passing through the other side of the town, SILI reads more signs. A large INN with a somewhat hostile name, a white mage scroll scribe, a few more impressive houses, and what used to be a (male) brothel are the main points of interest.

I need to know if you change your mind about visiting any of these places before we continue. I'll give you 30 minutes or until two of you say "no".
SILI
 player, 1572 posts
Wed 21 Mar 2012
at 07:03
Re: 11:00am Iceday, 8th week 852s
If Zeig wants to go to the white mage scroll shop, Sili will agree that it's worth a look. Otherwise he doesn't think it's worth going down there again.
DAI
 player, 1814 posts
Wed 21 Mar 2012
at 20:41
Re: 11:00am Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI waits for ZEIG's call on the white mage scroll shop, otherwise he continues the ride toward the keep.
ZEIG
 player, 1468 posts
 White Mage
Wed 21 Mar 2012
at 22:44
Re: 11:00am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig mentions that it is worth a look over, but not worth fighting monstrous swarms of vermin if it comes up.

To the scroll shop! Search, search, search, search the crazy drow village!
teslas
 GM, 3350 posts
Fri 23 Mar 2012
at 21:51
Re: 11:30am Iceday, 8th week 852s
The first thing you notice is that this shop is much smaller than the black mage scroll scribe, only two thirds the dimensions. The door is in tact, but only open a few inches. The party looks to MILO to see if he is giving off any indication of being uncomfortable, but he seems mostly alright.

Going to assume you take 20's on obvious things. Going to roll a general Search check for the rest of everything else.
15:38, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 27 using 1d20+7. Search.
15:38, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 4 using 1d20+2. Search.
15:38, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 15 using 1d20+4. Search.


It's the same story everywhere in here as it was everywhere else. All of the desks are empty or overturned. There is a safe, but it looks to have been drilled open carefully. There is evidence that a nest of some type of mammal had called this place home for more than a single season. Whatever happened here, it happened years ago, and it's remained empty since.

On the way out, ZEIG steps on a floorboard that's a bit loose. SILI stumbles slightly, MILO barks, and when the dust settles and everyone calms down SILI is almost prone on the ground. DAI, hopeful something was hidden under the floor, pries up the floorboard and looks around and finds nothing. SILI, standing up, notices a patch of the wall appears to be bulging slightly--as if the paint was covering something other than wood. He shrugs, and fires a crossbow bolt into the wall, which goes through it as if it were made of fabric: because it is.

Three quarters of the bolt slips through and embeds itself in something behind the fabric, probably the exterior wall.
SILI
 player, 1573 posts
Fri 23 Mar 2012
at 22:18
Re: 11:30am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili will tear open the fabric.
teslas
 GM, 3351 posts
Fri 23 Mar 2012
at 22:25
Re: 11:30am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Beside a plethora of cobwebs, the party finds what appears to be a makeshift shelf, or rather a structural board that was used as a shelf and then covered up, in the wall.

On it rests an ornate wooden box. Next to the box the crossbow bolt looks to have pinned a scroll to the inside of the exterior wall. There is an off-white ribbon tied around it. SILI gingerly pulls his crossbow bolt out of the scroll, but must break the shaft in order to save the scroll from any real damage.

Opening it, ZEIG reads that it's a scroll of Float. Despite the slit the crossbow bolt head made in several symmetrical places, it's legible, though bouncing the brittle thing around in its new state is probably a poor idea.
ZEIG
 player, 1469 posts
 White Mage
Sat 24 Mar 2012
at 00:20
Re: 11:30am Iceday, 8th week 852s
"I'll be damned. This might come in handy."

Zeig reads the scroll of Float.

I read the Life scroll when I leveled up too. If no one wants to go anywhere else then shall we head to the keep?
teslas
 GM, 3352 posts
Sat 24 Mar 2012
at 01:29
Re: 11:30am Iceday, 8th week 852s
There's also the ornate wooden box sitting there. It's slightly larger than a scroll case.

Figured I'd remind you of the obvious because your characters wouldn't forget it.

SILI
 player, 1574 posts
Sat 24 Mar 2012
at 02:09
Re: 11:30am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili will open the box.
teslas
 GM, 3354 posts
Sat 24 Mar 2012
at 02:51
Re: 11:30am Iceday, 8th week 852s
SILI begins to open the box. A small *click* sounds out just as three small darts fly out of it, one straight ahead, one to the left, and one to the right.

A small poisoned dart hits in the ideal spot on SILI's armor, deflecting it harmlessly.
20:48, Today: teslas rolled 12 using 1d20+6. ranged attack vs. flat-footed SILI.

DAI and ZEIG, while nearby, manage to luck out and not be in the line of fire.

Everyone gains 117 experience points for the valuable life lesson about how nice the drow are to leave free stuff lying around.
teslas
 GM, 3356 posts
Sat 24 Mar 2012
at 02:58
Re: 11:30am Iceday, 8th week 852s
Apart from an obvious trap mechanism, inside the box lay 200 platinum pieces and two potion vials. Neither has labels and they are exactly the same color.

DAI tries to identify both of them. The first one is obviously some kind of horrific poison, and his nostrils are still tingling too much to identify the second. ZEIG takes it from him and is confident it's some sort of nearly equally-repugnant antidote for the first one.
20:56, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 20 using 1d20+18. ditto.
20:56, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 33 using 1d20+18. Spellcraft to identify potion.
20:58, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 33 using 1d20+16. Spellcraft to identify potion.

These include Cheer and ZEIG/DAI's automatic assist.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:22, Sat 24 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1575 posts
Sat 24 Mar 2012
at 03:23
Re: 11:30am Iceday, 8th week 852s
My Handy Haversack can carry exactly 4 more lb.

Sili will pocket the platinum and leave the poison/antidote to the mages, for now.
ZEIG
 player, 1470 posts
 White Mage
Sat 24 Mar 2012
at 03:35
Re: 11:30am Iceday, 8th week 852s
To the keep!
teslas
 GM, 3358 posts
Sat 24 Mar 2012
at 03:48
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
The party heads outside, mounts their chocobos, and makes their way out of the drow village. The forest on the western side of the river has not been cleared quite as far away, and within ten minutes the party is back underneath the cover of trees. The forest is not quite as thick, and from time to time the canopy opens up, giving you a chance to view the northern keep as it slowly becomes closer and closer.

From time to time the party catches glimpses of wispy remains of spider's webs or nests in the trees. While not as thick or as common as the northern side of Cornelia, they are every bit as large and still make DAI and ZEIG a little uneasy. The forest path is old, no doubt about that, but it is still relatively easy to follow. Many saplings are growing up around it and on it, but at some point in the past the forest trees were cut down in a 40' wide swath. The ground is level, unlike the forest floor on either side.

About an hour before it's time to make camp for the evening, the party tops a shallow hill. A couple hundred feet into the distance a small campfire can be seen to the side of the path.
ZEIG
 player, 1471 posts
 White Mage
Sat 24 Mar 2012
at 23:00
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig approaches cautiously and tries to get a good look at the campfire and the surrounding area.

19:00, Today: ZEIG rolled 16,16 using d20+4,d20+4. Spot/Listen.
teslas
 GM, 3360 posts
Sun 25 Mar 2012
at 01:52
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
It isn't long before ZEIG hears a familiar "Oy!". A halfling steps out of some shrubs a bit over a hundred feet down the path and waves. You are far enough away to talk amongst yourselves without him hearing what you're saying, assuming he doesn't have max ranks in Listen, Skill Focus: Listen, Alertness, and rolls a 20.

Note/Elaboration: This visisble halfling is not LEIF, though you're pretty sure the voice that called out belonged to him.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:00, Sun 25 Mar 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1472 posts
 White Mage
Sun 25 Mar 2012
at 02:00
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
"...Alright Leif, let's here what you have to say."
SILI
 player, 1576 posts
Sun 25 Mar 2012
at 02:01
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
"You guys have history with them, so you can decide what to do here." Now that they were out of the town Sili has no need for the apparently treacherous halflings. If Zeig wants to book it Sili will be right behind him.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:43, Sun 25 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3361 posts
Sun 25 Mar 2012
at 02:43
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
"I ain't shoutin' back and fort' again, you damn fool."

Another halfling comes out onto the trail, then sits down next to the fire.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:43, Sun 25 Mar 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1473 posts
 White Mage
Sun 25 Mar 2012
at 02:55
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
Zeig ventures forward and sits next to the fire.

"There. That's better."
SILI
 player, 1577 posts
Sun 25 Mar 2012
at 03:31
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili will sit down as well. He has no problem with the halflings.
teslas
 GM, 3363 posts
Sun 25 Mar 2012
at 04:29
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
Going to keep goin', and guess as best as I can for DAI.

DAI, rightfully weary of the band of miscreants, stays mounted on the path within earshot, and perhaps more importantly, easy Fire II range.

LEIF comes walking out of the bushes up the path that SILI and ZEIG had just come down, apparently from some kind of hiding spot. "Yea'. 'eah i'is."

He sits down and takes his boots off much like he did the first time. "Hoo. So... 'anks for takin' care o' 'at ghost."

Another halfling walks over the the fire with a pot full of water and sets it down on top of it, then disappears back into the undergrowth. Another is sharpening his shortsword, leaning up against a tree, and the third is picking up sticks and logs dumping them in a pile nearby, keeping a close eye on the situation.
SILI
 player, 1578 posts
Sun 25 Mar 2012
at 04:36
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Not at all! He needed to be put to rest, for the safety of other travelers. And he's been on this earth far more than he should have. How did you know about the ghost?" Sili gives his bright smile.
teslas
 GM, 3364 posts
Sun 25 Mar 2012
at 04:42
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Whot? Really? Ya can'h miss th' crazy arsepack'et. 'e'll be back by 'morrow or th' next more 'n prob'ly."
ZEIG
 player, 1474 posts
 White Mage
Sun 25 Mar 2012
at 04:45
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Yes. Unless he's put to rest his spirit will continue to wander for all time. I wonder what is keeping him here."

Zeig stares off for a moment before remembering where he is.

"So, you've been around these parts a bit then Leif? What's up in that keep over there? If we succeed you may never have to deal with the drow or their spirits ever again."
teslas
 GM, 3365 posts
Sun 25 Mar 2012
at 05:16
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
"No, ne'er past th' river 'aer, nope. Damn ghost a'ways 'ere to t' cut th' lootin' a bit short."
SILI
 player, 1580 posts
Sun 25 Mar 2012
at 07:01
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Really? We could certainly use some information. If you happen to have heard something from someone about the keep, it may be worth your while."

02:58, Today: SILI rolled 25 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 12. Diplomacy (Rushed).
teslas
 GM, 3366 posts
Mon 26 Mar 2012
at 12:50
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Nothin' t' say, really, but whot kind a' guy whud I be i' I di'n't a' least offe' t' lie to you for a bit o' money. Whot are you lot wantin' t' do?"
ZEIG
 player, 1475 posts
 White Mage
Tue 27 Mar 2012
at 07:20
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
Thought I responded to this. Apparently I did not.

"I believe he is the prince of the drow. A terrible creature, wreaking havoc on the land. We need to have a long conversation."

I'm pretty sure this is what we're doing. Sorry if I'm mixing lore from being gone for 5 months or whatever.
teslas
 GM, 3368 posts
Tue 27 Mar 2012
at 08:14
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Dark elves, eh? You lot really came all 'is way for 'em? Out o' luck is whot you lot are. They've been gone fo' years--all o' 'em."

"'ey di' leave a lot o' stuff lyin' aroun' 'ough. Good lootin'. 'ats how me and m' lads make a livin'... We like gold a' awf'l lot..." LEIF raises his eyebrows up once, then looks purposefully at SILI.

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:17, Tue 27 Mar 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1476 posts
 White Mage
Wed 28 Mar 2012
at 00:01
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Well, where did they go? The elves sure didn't chase them off. This thing we're looking for apparently was a dark elf, but he wouldn't look anything like one. You have to have seen something around."
teslas
 GM, 3369 posts
Wed 28 Mar 2012
at 01:08
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
LEIF thinks for a moment, "Hrmm. I real'y don't know whe'e 'ey all went. We've seen, put toge'er, mayb' a 'alf-do'en i' ten years betwee' us. Good ri'-'ance to th' lot o' 'em." A couple of the others nod in approval at that.

"As far as 'is," LEIF waves his hands up mockingly, "Ter'ble creatu'? Yea', maybe we 'ad 'eard o' somethin'. But stories o' 'll sorts o' thin's fly 'round 'ese 'ills and forests."

"Why're you lot wantin' t' find such a thin'?"
ZEIG
 player, 1477 posts
 White Mage
Wed 28 Mar 2012
at 05:30
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
Duuh. It was the fashionable thing to do.

"Work. It's our job to find this thing and fix up some unfinished business. I'm not even sure I understand it all myself, but we'll know when we find him."
teslas
 GM, 3370 posts
Wed 28 Mar 2012
at 05:52
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
LEIF nods, seeming a little less cocky and quite sincere. "Good luck 'it' 'at."
SILI
 player, 1581 posts
Wed 28 Mar 2012
at 15:24
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili lays 5 gold on the ground, before turning to the two mages. "Well, I think we should keep moving for a while."
teslas
 GM, 3371 posts
Thu 29 Mar 2012
at 03:25
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
The halflings eye the group of you, waiting for you to leave.
ZEIG
 player, 1478 posts
 White Mage
Thu 29 Mar 2012
at 03:48
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Here's to it, then. Take care."

Zeig turns to wave Dai on and continues up the path to the keep a ways, preferring to make camp and explore during the day.

"You ready to go?"
DAI
 player, 1816 posts
Thu 29 Mar 2012
at 04:57
Re: 5:00pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI has the chocobos move after ZEIG and SILI, silently glaring at the halflings from beneath his hat and wondering if he should just roast the bunch now to be done with it. He sighs to himself and decides not to waste the resources, albeit easily replenish-able now that SILI was here.
teslas
 GM, 3372 posts
Thu 29 Mar 2012
at 05:30
Re: 6:15pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
An hour later, the party makes it where they're going to need to camp for the night.

It's a small clearing to the side of a path that looks to be used by animals and giants. The giants' paths, as you've started seeing, last a long while even unused. SILI muses, as an amateur survivalist, that their feet must pack the dirt so that grasses have a hard time growing, and they apparently push over trees to make them nice and wide without any hanging branches on which to bump their heads.

Because you leveld up, SILI, going to let you tell me what all you want to take 10 on or roll for from now on. Just like when you had JACK, I automatically roll your Survival check to predict the weather every day, so no worries there.
SILI
 player, 1582 posts
Thu 29 Mar 2012
at 05:51
Re: 6:15pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
Sili looks to the other two. "You should know, that halfling lied to us a bit. When he said he'd never been to the keep, and when he said all the drow were gone."

Sili will take 10 on both Paeon and Ballad before going to bed.
teslas
 GM, 3373 posts
Thu 29 Mar 2012
at 06:14
Re: 6:15pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
For a fucking total of what? And for what effects?
ZEIG
 player, 1479 posts
 White Mage
Thu 29 Mar 2012
at 06:24
Re: 6:15pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
"Yea, I figured as much. Could only trust them so far, anyways. I wonder what's in that big thing up there?" Zeig sighs and forgoes making a potion tonight. He gladly assists Dai if he chooses to do so.
DAI
 player, 1817 posts
Thu 29 Mar 2012
at 06:43
Re: 6:15pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
DAI will try to make a potion of Fast at CL 2(for 3 rounds of quick escape)

23:41, Today: DAI rolled 29 using 1d20+15. craft(alch) with ZEIG assist.

OOC: I forget the exact rules but I think that's a definite yes, if it was high enough to halve time I will attempt another like it, if 25 would be enough to halve it, take a 10 on the second, if not I'll give it a shot and hope for another good roll(someone else can do it for me)
teslas
 GM, 3374 posts
Thu 29 Mar 2012
at 07:15
Re: 6:15pm Iceday, 8th week 852s
If you don't know how it works, we'll just assume you don't do it.

I'll deduct the alchemy supplies from the party inventory thread. Go ahead and give yourself a potion of Fast (CL 2nd).

GM Edit-
Fixed.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:37, Thu 29 Mar 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3375 posts
Thu 29 Mar 2012
at 07:35
Re: 8:00am Lightningsday, 8th week 852s
It begins to rain during the night and persists for a few hours. Suddenly, for a couple of minutes, hail comes crashing through the tree leaves, bopping some of you on your heads. The rain dries up around 4am. Despite the annoying discomfort and a possible headache, everyone is fine and relatively well-rested in the morning.

The Lightningsday sun rises to be abnormally warm and piercing for this time of year. The heat lightning in the distance was a pretty spectacle before the sun had risen, though now it's more of just an eerie and distant thundering with no apparent source.

SILI believes there won't be much trouble with rain or fog or anything of the sort. While a bit warm, it's a fairly safe day to travel, if such a thing were possible in this part of the world.

Going to assume you gained 6 MP from Ballad, which means DAI's MP will be the same after he summons three more chocobos. Keep in mind if you want to spend extra MP you can summon chocobos with a climb speed. See the Mount spell for details.

We'll wait and see what SILI posts as far as temporary hit points and what bonuses he grants everyone for the day. Feel free to progress the story, I mean, and we'll just pause if you guys manage to find combat until we know what the bonuses are.


The keep is still visible due to being perched on what is essentially the edge of a cliff-face high above you. Yesterday, it seemed large in the distance from the village. Today, being much closer, the group of you begin to realize that it's still quite far and that its size must be considerable. It's also becoming more and more obvious that it has fallen into disrepair of sorts.

02:28, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 20 using 1d20+3. Know (archi/engi).
SILI points out that the stonemasonry to look that worn would have to have been well over a couple of hundred years old in parts. It seems that the keep has been expanded upon in some places, as assorted parts look much newer and less weathered. He also spots some architectural differences hinting that the base structure might have been begun by dwarves and guesses the additions are drow handiwork.

The path is now weaving over, around, and in between foothills. Depending on the route up to the top of the cliff face, which as yet has not been visible, the ride to the keep will take anywhere from one to three days longer.

GM Edit-
Fixed some of the horrible grammar and syntax.

This message was last edited by the GM at 10:51, Thu 29 Mar 2012.

SILI
 player, 1583 posts
Thu 29 Mar 2012
at 17:51
Re: 8:00am Lightningsday, 8th week 852s
Perform (Vocal): 13, +10 = 23 total

Ballad (Base DC 20): A 4th level character sleeping in a dungeon for the night gains 4 mana points instead of the normal zero. The same character resting in a tent receives 12 mana poinst instead of the normal 8.

Paeon (Base DC 10): A 4th level character sleeping in a dungeon for the night gains 8 hit points instead of the normal 4 hit points. The same character resting in a tent receives 12 hit points instead of the normal 8 hit points.
DC 20: As above, and 5 temporary hit points are granted that persist for 24 hours.

7 HP/MP more than what we normally get and 5 THP.

teslas
 GM, 3384 posts
Sun 1 Apr 2012
at 22:21
Re: 3:00pm Lightningsday, 8th week 852s
Going to make this "shorter".

The three of you mount up and begin the next day's worth of travel. MILO seems to appreciate not being the slowest member of the group again. The green chocobos, though not quite as swift as their yellow kin, appear much more sturdy and sure of themselves.

The forest begins to thin as the ground turns from mud and dirt to gravel, then scree. Somewhat unexpectedly, the party finds themselves walking along a paved road with basically no transition. While obviously ancient, the road is in a very usable condition. It reminds all of you of the road between Elfheim and its northern port on the Aldi.

It's not long before the road meets what is essentially a sheer cliff face. It leads right up into what used to be a cavern or tunnel of some kind, but is now collapsed. The tunnel must have been quite large, at least large enough for four heavy horses to walk abreast inside of it both coming and going simultaneously. The stones filling it range from only a few hundred pounds to at least several, several tons. Branching off to the left from the road near the tunnel's mouth appears to be a path used by giants. It leads around a bend in the rock face out of sight. Having few other apparent options, the group follows it.

The scree and rubble barely slow your chocobos at all, though MILO looks as if he's struggling to keep up from time to time having to jump and climb from one jagged and uneven rock to the next. The chocobos with their strong, long legs traverse the path as easily as the giants must with their huge frames. Just as SILI is about to suggest everyone stops for a short break, the path suddenly ends at the base of what is probably the scariest looking stone stairway going up the side of the cliff any of you could imagine. The steps are uneven and at places less than a foot wide where parts of them have collapsed. The stairs are ancient, weathered, and were probably not all that well-carved to begin with.

It looks to stretch up the entire 550' to the top. The keep lies nearby, most likely, but is currently out of view up against the base of the cliff. The giant's path continues along the base of the cliff. The odds of any giant using the stairwell are would be quite low.

Your chocobos don't seem too nervous about the prospect. Indeed, without riders, they could probably simply climb the cliff itself without issue.

The path looks traversable by foot so long as everyone is careful and takes their time, but a strong gust of wind, or worse, the idea of being attacked by something while on it, makes for troubling thought.

MILO seems completely unwilling to go up the stairs, and if he had any ability to do so, he'd be giving SILI the "nigga please..." face.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:06, Sun 01 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1482 posts
 White Mage
Mon 2 Apr 2012
at 05:21
Re: 3:00pm Lightningsday, 8th week 852s
"There is still time before sundown. Want to continue onwards? It doesn't look like there will be beds awaiting us, but the sooner we're out of the area, the better in my opinion."

Zeig looks toward the keep with a firm determination.
SILI
 player, 1588 posts
Mon 2 Apr 2012
at 05:28
Re: 3:00pm Lightningsday, 8th week 852s
"I say we listen to Milo. Let's break here."
ZEIG
 player, 1483 posts
 White Mage
Mon 2 Apr 2012
at 05:36
Re: 3:00pm Lightningsday, 8th week 852s
"That works for me too. I guess I'll start work on a potion."
01:36, Today: ZEIG rolled 16 using 1d20+12. craft (alch) - Cure.

If Dai is working on a potion then do that first so I can do mine while people are sleeping.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:36, Mon 02 Apr 2012.

DAI
 player, 1826 posts
Mon 2 Apr 2012
at 05:59
Re: 3:00pm Lightningsday, 8th week 852s
I'll opt to not craft for today

DAI works to set up camp, looking at the chocobos and wondering if he should just dismiss them...or keep them around as targets in case of a night attack. "Well...I guess we're gonna make use of that new song tomorrow SILI." DAI looks down at the drop if they fall off the staircase, and thanks his lucky stars that they had a Bard along.
teslas
 GM, 3385 posts
Mon 2 Apr 2012
at 07:33
Re: 3:00pm Lightningsday, 8th week 852s
The party decides to break an hour early in the day, and keeps a leary eye on the staircase throughout the night looking for any signs of trouble.

DAI's chocobos peck and scratch the ground and overturn rocks looking for food for a few hours. Luckily they expire on their own before anyone attempts to rest for the night.

When you craft, if DAI or SILI wants to spend the 8 (or less) hours helping you, add +2 to more to your check for each. Unlike normal situations, where if you get the modifier wrong you reroll, assisting is a conscious effort that someone else can take that you have no control over, so don't ever include it unless you know before hand.

If you get a 19 on your Craft check, you'll complete the potion in 4 hours, giving you a chance for another. But, of course, while they are assisting you, they, like you, take the -5 penalty to Spot checks for being distracted. Luckily, you have friggen' MILO as a watch-bot with Scent so that's not as big of a deal as it might otherwise be. So, I'll give you a quick opportunity to decide on the potion, then we'll move along.

ZEIG
 player, 1485 posts
 White Mage
Mon 2 Apr 2012
at 15:32
Re: 3:00pm Lightningsday, 8th week 852s
11:27, Today: ZEIG rolled 26 using 1d20+12. craft (alch) - Cure 2nd.
With assist that is 30.
11:31, Today: ZEIG rolled 24 using 1d20+12. craft (alch) - Cure 3rd!
And that one is 28. I'll just hang out for the remaining hour of craft time.
teslas
 GM, 3388 posts
Mon 2 Apr 2012
at 16:03
Re: 8:00am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG, growing into an accomplished field alchemist by anyone's standards, churns out three potions of Cure before the party pulls out their tent, SILI plays his songs, and the night watches begin.

The night passes mostly without incident. A few small rocks fall from the top of the cliff or the rock-face making you all aware of how long it would actually take to bounce down to your deaths if you fell off of it yourselves. Looking back at the stairwell, the odds of doing so aren't as low as you might like.

The Lightsday sunrise begins the new week. The morning is comfortable with puffy clouds passing overhead. SILI has no idea if it will stay that way.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:57, Mon 02 Apr 2012.

DAI
 player, 1828 posts
Mon 2 Apr 2012
at 22:03
Re: 8:00am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Well, we'll want to make it across before it starts raining...so SILI, how about that new song of yours to help us along the way?" DAI was actually somewhat caught off guard with not summoning some chocobos in the morning as he had grown accustomed to, and noted the energy stored in his circlet for later.
ZEIG
 player, 1487 posts
 White Mage
Mon 2 Apr 2012
at 22:07
Re: 8:00am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Yea, let's hear a song! I'm ready if you guys are, after that."

Zeig will cast Protectra (+3 AC) and Shellra (+3 Saves) on the party when they reach the top of the staircase if the keep is near enough for these to have at least 40 minutes left when they reach it. 80 minutes of these buffs total.
MP: 56/67
SILI
 player, 1589 posts
Mon 2 Apr 2012
at 22:12
Re: 8:00am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"As a matter of fact, it's a story, not a song." Sili will follow the story up with a religious song.

18:16, Today: SILI rolled 26 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 13. Perform (Vocal) (Hymnus on Party).
18:11, Today: SILI rolled 15 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 2. Perform (Oratory) (Athleticism on Party).


+1. Of course.
Athleticism
Relating old tales of great physical competition and people performing great athletic deeds to solve the task at hand, any of those who hear gain a Morale bonus to Balance, Climb, Jump, Ride, Swim, and Tumble checks.

GM Edit-
COLOR NAZI'D

This message was last edited by the player at 22:21, Mon 02 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3394 posts
Mon 2 Apr 2012
at 22:39
Re: 8:00am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
All of you (after SILI's song) can take 10 on Balance and Climb checks where necessary, which is enough.

SILI, MILO, ZEIG, and then DAI begin the long walk, or more aptly, the climb, up.

Almost ten minutes into the ordeal, the party is about halfway up with the hardest-looking part just ahead. SILI puts his foot down onto one of the stone steps as it crumbles away from under him.
17:28, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 10 using 1d20+7. Reflex save.
He is unable to react in time, putting his balance forward onto nothingness. SILI teeters for a moment, just out of reach of both DAI and ZEIG with MILO looking confused, then falls off of the stairwell, wide-eyed.
The Climb check (DC 30) to catch yourself is entirely out of your capability.

DAI and ZEIG can't help but notice that the falling rocks make no noise and quickly come to the conclusion that it was an illusionary step of some kind, and are horrified to watch SILI plummet down to the ground as a few steps and the falling rocks turn translucent.

DAI and ZEIG have one Standard action to do anything if they wish. No hints. SILI is about 5' below you and starting his journey that will leave a small crater. The drop is about 220-230' to the bottom, and the rocks down there are somewhat jagged.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:14, Tue 03 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1490 posts
 White Mage
Mon 2 Apr 2012
at 22:51
Re: 8:00am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig freaks out and casts Float immediate action on all of the party members and jumps down after Sili.
MP: 62/67

5 rounds at 60' per round, no damage on contact during the spell. This should get us to the bottom safely.

This message was last edited by the player at 22:52, Mon 02 Apr 2012.

DAI
 player, 1831 posts
Mon 2 Apr 2012
at 23:25
Re: 8:00am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI, not liking the idea of staying up here alone, but not sure if MILO was going to follow, jumps off as well.
teslas
 GM, 3397 posts
Tue 3 Apr 2012
at 14:02
Re: 8:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG essentially just leans over off of the ledge, casting Float as he does so. SILI barely had a chance to accelerate to the top speed as the three of you fall toward the bottom. While safe, the landing is harder than you would like for a spell called "Float", and the jagged and uneven rocks make it a bit uncomfortable on your ankles. Landing on them would have assuredly been very fatal.

MILO definitely does not follow, and looks over the edge of the staircase whimpering. After realizing you're not all dead, he begins making his way back down to the bottom of the stairs.

SILI, it's a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a life-long uncomfortability with heights for the trauma. I'll let you roll it, sir.

Everyone gains 212 Experience Points for encountering the trap.

I'm going to assume DAI and ZEIG tell SILI about the illusion. Feel free to RP this out.

The bottom of the stair is a few minute's walk away hopping and long-stepping across the tops of rocks and small boulders. MILO will be back at the bottom in about five minutes.

Edit-
I still haven't deducted MP for Shellra/Protectra since you guys haven't made it to the top yet, ZEIG, but I'll remember.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:10, Tue 03 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1491 posts
 White Mage
Tue 3 Apr 2012
at 14:54
Re: 8:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig wipes the sweat from his brow and claps Sili on the back.

"No thank you, stairs. Lucky for us, that was an illusion, not just crumbling and failing stairs. We should be able to climb them if we take it slowly and test every step carefully. Damn crazy Drow. You ready for Stairs 2?" Electric Boogaloo

Zeig begins heading towards the stairs, and waits to see if the party follows.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:56, Tue 03 Apr 2012.

SILI
 player, 1592 posts
Tue 3 Apr 2012
at 15:12
Re: 8:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"You realize that someone tried to kill us. Maybe not personally, but are you sure you want to try that again? You can go first."

1:09, Today: SILI rolled 14 using 1d20 with rolls of 14. Wisdom check.
ZEIG
 player, 1492 posts
 White Mage
Tue 3 Apr 2012
at 15:27
Re: 8:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Yea, I'll go first. It's a trap, just like those poison darts in the village. Drow are devious little bastards...this better be worth it."
DAI
 player, 1832 posts
Wed 4 Apr 2012
at 00:28
Re: 8:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"I can also go...I have a spell that can slow my descent(air elemental armor), only works on me but I think it's a little less taxing then that spell of yours, ZEIG."
teslas
 GM, 3402 posts
Wed 4 Apr 2012
at 16:58
Re: 9:20am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The party starts the trip up the stairs once again. ZEIG heads up first followed by DAI, SILI, and then MILO.

As before, there are no issues until about halfway up.

Okay, so. These illusions are pretty simple. You know there were some there before. You have a pretty decent Spellcraft check, and you're interacting and touching them first before putting your weight on them. All I'm going to do is roll saving throws to see if you roll a 1, and if so, we'll go from there.

11:41, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 24 using 1d20+11. Roll a 1! Will save.
11:41, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 29 using 1d20+11. Roll a 1 this time! Will.


ZEIG finds two more sets of steps that turn out to be translucent and fake. Though the hop over them is a little scary, your confidence is bolstered a good bit by both DAI and ZEIG's abilities which help to avoid plummeting to your doom.

After about an hour of careful and meticulous stepping, balancing, and climbing, the three of you (and MILO!) reach the top of the stairs. You're still about 60' below the level of the foundation of the keep, but are only a mere 40' away from it. More carved stairs, these ones broad with solid ground on either side of them, lead up and around a corner out of view. They look no less weathered and aged.

ZEIG casts Protectra and Shellra on the party. MP: 51/67 These will last for 90 minutes.

Following the hewn stone path and cut stairs along the foundation of the structure brings you to the western side of the keep along its walls. Further west lies a deep chasm cut into the rock about 200-250' deep, 60' wide. An old wooden drawbridge with massive chains connecting it to the keep's walls spans the chasm. While weathered and splintering in some places, and while the chains have some rust showing in most places, it looks as if it will remain sturdy for decades to come.

There's a ledge running around the base of the keep that runs between a few inches and thirty feet wide, which is what you're on now. It leads to the door and drawbridge to the north, straight ahead, or up and around the exterior of the keep to your right. The old and cracked stairs that you came up seem to be the only way to the structure that doesn't involve the drawbridge.

The western entrance looks to be the main entrance, you'd guess. Huge wooden double doors with iron or steel rivets meet your eyes. The left door is open a small amount compared to the size of the doors, but it's actually a gap about three feet wide. It's either nearly completely dark inside or what little light might be coming out cannot be seen through the shine of the Lightsday sun. It would only take 40-50 seconds to walk over and peer inside.

The keep is large. Probably about 1/5th of the size of the Cornelian castle. SILI stays by his guess that it's a mixture of dwarven and drow architecture, and wouldn't know where to begin to guess its age or the various ages of different parts.

And a reminder: Hymnus has worn off.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:11, Wed 04 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1493 posts
 White Mage
Wed 4 Apr 2012
at 20:54
Re: 9:20am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig will attempt to slip up to the door and peer inside.
16:54, Today: ZEIG rolled 14 using 1d20-1. Move Silently (HA).
teslas
 GM, 3404 posts
Wed 4 Apr 2012
at 22:57
Re: 9:21am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG creeps over as best he can and carefully ducks his head inside.

The room inside is vast, or perhaps it should be called a hall. A wide entryway leads into an even larger chamber beyond. Tiny windows high along the walls, over 35' above the ground, let in the tinniest little bit of light. The ceiling in the broadest part is 50' off of the floor.

After ZEIG blinks a few times, trying to let his eyes adjust, he notices shadowy outlines. There are old tapestries still hanging on the walls near the door which look to extend out as far as he can see, and there are several large pillars towering further into the darkness. He spends a few moments more, attempting to make out more detail, but is unable to do so.
17:55, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 8 using 1d20+4. Spot #2.
17:55, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 12 using 1d20+4. Spot #1.


# = door (closed)
/ = cracked door
| = wall (the exterior walls are 10' thick)
- = wall
O = 5' thick pillar (soft corners)

               |-------------------------------

                 O      O      O      O      O
---#---
#
/
#
#
||
|---#---|        O      O      O      O      O

               |-------------------------------

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:58, Wed 04 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1494 posts
 White Mage
Thu 5 Apr 2012
at 00:24
Re: 9:21am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Whelp, I guess we should explore the hall." Zeig calls back to his companions.

He casts Illuminate on his staff and prepares to explore the keep.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:20, Thu 05 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3405 posts
Thu 5 Apr 2012
at 19:25
Re: 9:21am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Does everyone else move up and enter with him? What's the plan? I don't want to make too many assumptions.

ZEIG's staff helps to light up the entryway to the room beyond the door just a tad bit more than the sunlight already is.

Illuminate will expire at 10:31am.
DAI
 player, 1834 posts
Thu 5 Apr 2012
at 19:27
Re: 9:21am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI goes to follow ZEIG, wondering what they should to in case of traps and such. "I could...summon a chocobo to run down the halls for us looking for pressure plates or something." He seemed a little reluctant to mention it, wondering what the others would think but...far as he could tell these weren't real chocobos, and he thought about using one as a distraction for the bear all those weeks ago.
SILI
 player, 1594 posts
Thu 5 Apr 2012
at 21:14
Re: 9:21am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili walks down the hall, holding his harp. "Seems like a good idea to me..."
DAI
 player, 1836 posts
Thu 5 Apr 2012
at 22:18
Re: 9:21am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI nods, before summoning a basic yellow chocobo(not using circlet), and directing it down a hall before goading it to trot.

OOC: Not sure how to do this, typically you can slap a horse's ass to get it walking and I don't see that as a handle animal check(where you whisper sweet nothings into its ear to convince it to move)...but if there is a required roll I'll let the GM handle it to save time.

teslas
 GM, 3408 posts
Thu 5 Apr 2012
at 22:26
Re: 9:21am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DC 25 Handle Animal check to get it to perform a trick it does not know. "Go... over there..."
DAI
 player, 1838 posts
Thu 5 Apr 2012
at 22:59
Re: 9:21am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI tries and fails a couple times at getting the thing to move, just looking annoyed when it offers a confused 'Wark?' He looks to SILI. "Hey...think MILO can scare the thing down this hallway? Dogs are good herders, right?"
SILI
 player, 1595 posts
Thu 5 Apr 2012
at 23:21
Re: 9:21am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"If they're trained for it, they are. I have a better idea. Let me talk to it."

19:20, Today: SILI rolled 16 using 1d20+10 with rolls of 6. Handle Animal.

Sili would be willing to take 20 on the check if you guys don't mind waiting that long.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:22, Thu 05 Apr 2012.

SILI
 player, 1596 posts
Fri 6 Apr 2012
at 00:23
Re: 9:21am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili will take 20 to make the chocobo move in front of them. 30 total.

Kentucky Fried Chocobo, coming right up.

GM Edit-
Subject/Time fix.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:12, Fri 06 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3411 posts
Fri 6 Apr 2012
at 01:21
Re: 9:25am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The three of you proceed into the hall. MILO appears calm enough, indicating he doesn't smell anything that he believes wants to kill you nearby.

20:13, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 19 using 1d20+4. Spot.
20:12, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 13 using 1d20+1. Spot.


SILI says he thinks he can make out the faint hints of shapes that resemble humanoid figures around the pillars, but isn't quite sure. Whatever they are, they're either waiting for you or are a figment of his imagination.

DAI summons a chocobo. MP: 67/68 He then attempts to slap it on its hind quarters to get it to move down the hall. It returns with a bewildered "Kweh?"

SILI steps forward and begins making wide gestures and squawking at the bird. At the end of the two minute exchange, the confused animal back-steps away from DAI and SILI, then starts to meander into the main hall to about the edge of illumination provided by the sunlight shining in through the door 90 or so feet away from you. It stops, scratches the ground once or twice, then crouches in the chocobo form of sitting down and begins to preen itself.

No fiery explosions. No poisoned darts. No trap doors and no mechanical death machines strike the beast down or whisk it to its doom.

# = door (closed)
/ = cracked door
| = wall (the exterior walls are 10' thick)
- = wall
O = 5' thick pillar (soft corners)
? = some of the shadow figures SILI noticed

               |-------------------------------

                 O      O      O      O??     O
---#---?
#
/MS                 CC
#ZD                 CC
#
||                                    ?
|---#---|
                 O      O      O      O    ??O

               |-------------------------------

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:27, Fri 06 Apr 2012.

SILI
 player, 1597 posts
Fri 6 Apr 2012
at 02:01
Re: 9:25am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili follows slowly (20 ft. to the right). He tries to get a better look.

22:00, Today: SILI rolled 23 using 1d20+4 with rolls of 19. Spot.
ZEIG
 player, 1496 posts
 White Mage
Fri 6 Apr 2012
at 03:08
Re: 9:25am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig follows.

23:08, Today: ZEIG rolled 7,20 using d20+4,d20+4. Listen/Spot.
DAI
 player, 1839 posts
Fri 6 Apr 2012
at 03:32
Re: 9:25am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
20:31, Today: DAI rolled 5,18 using d20+1,d20+1. listen/spot.


DAI follows, now holding his wand in case the shadowed out figures prove to be hostile...or living at all for that matter.
teslas
 GM, 3413 posts
Fri 6 Apr 2012
at 04:06
Re: 9:25am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The group of you steps further inside carefully. The chocobo looks up as you approach, then goes back to running its feathers through its beak once you stop.

Now that he's a bit closer, SILI can make out more of the shapes. Moreover, he's sure that at least some of them are human. ZEIG confirms this idea. Apart from the subtle sounds the chocobo and your companions are making, none of you hear anything else inside of the keep.

# = door (closed)
/ = cracked door
| = wall (the exterior walls are 10' thick)
- = wall
O = 5' thick pillar (soft corners)
? = some of the shadow figures SILI noticed

               |-------------------------------

                 O      O      O      O??     O
---#---?
#                                        ?
/    MS             CC                    ?
#    ZD             CC
#
||                                    ?
|---#---|
                 O      O      O      O    ??O

               |-------------------------------

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:06, Fri 06 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3415 posts
Fri 6 Apr 2012
at 19:44
Re: 9:25am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The party slowly advances further into the keep, keping their eyes peeled as they walk. SILI is able to see a decent bit further in the darkness, and relays what he can pick out outside of DAI and ZEIG to them. The chocobo stands back up once you're nearby.

# = door (closed)
/ = cracked door
| = wall (the exterior walls are 10' thick)
- = wall
O = 5' thick pillar (soft corners)
? = some of the shadow figures SILI noticed

 #
 #
  
  
   --------------------------------
  
  O      O      O      O??    O
---#---?
  
#                                        ?
/                  MSCC                    ?
#                  ZDCC
#
||                                    ?
---#---
  O      O      O      O    ??O
 
   --------------------------------
 
 
 #
 #
 
 
 
 

teslas
 GM, 3417 posts
Sun 8 Apr 2012
at 00:51
Re: 9:25am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Passing the chocobo, the party moves in to get a closer look at the humanoid figures. As you might have guessed, they are indeed statues. The chocobo follows about 10' behind the group of you with the standard curious looking expression chocobos tend to wear.

The two statues in the middle of the room seem to both be a fighting stance. For one of them, a human, DAI and ZEIG recognize a similar style to  as what JACK used to adopt in combat. Across from him is a drow male dressed in tattered leather armor or clothing. He is holding a stone rapier with a buckler attached to one arm. Unlike all of the other statues, they are facing one another, not looking toward the party.

The two statues to the sides of you are drow males wearing breastplates. One of them has fallen over, and the tip of what used to be a spear is cracked off and lying on the ground next to it. Upon closer examination, it looks to have been in some kind of running position so that it would be basically impossible for it to have ever stood upright. The other is similarly in a running stance, and is leaning forward quite a bit also with a spear stretched forward.

To the north and next to the pillar look to be the outlines of two scantily clad drow females. One of them has an outstretched wand. To the south are a drow male and female. The male is wearing extremely elaborate fullplate and holding a longbow. The female is dressed in priestess robes of Lolth, which ZEIG recognizes. To call them robes by what you're normally used to might be inaccurate, as well over 80% of her skin is showing.

The intricacy of the statues is actually quite stunning, and it's pretty obvious almost immediately to everyone that something fishy is likely going on with them. DAI and ZEIG are aware of actual spells that can turn men to stone, and SILI has heard about such magical effects and even sang of them himself several times.

Now in range of view, there appears to be an elaborate throne platform at the back of the hall. A single chair sits upon it, its seat nearly six feet above the stone floor. Near it are more of these statues, though they are too far to make out much detail about them.

# = door (closed)
/ = cracked door
| = wall (the exterior walls are 10' thick)
- = wall
O = 5' thick pillar (soft corners)
? = some of the shadow figures SILI noticed
h = human statue
d = drow statue

 #
 #
  
  
   ---------------------------------------
  
  O      O      O      Odd    O      O
---#---d            d
 d
#                                        h             |
/                                CC MS     d      TT   |
#                                CC ZD           dTT   |
#                                                d     |
 d       d
---#--- 
  O      O      O      O    ddO      O
  
   ---------------------------------------
  
  
 #
 #
  
  
  
  

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:34, Wed 02 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1498 posts
 White Mage
Sun 8 Apr 2012
at 02:35
Re: 9:25am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig will slowly approach the seat and examine around it with the light from his staff, but some dust gets in his eyes.
22:35, Today: ZEIG rolled 3 using 1d20+2. Search.

After rubbing the dust out, he resumes his examination.
Jesus, take 20 for a 22 all around and in the seat.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:37, Sun 08 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3419 posts
Sun 8 Apr 2012
at 02:47
Re: 9:25am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
One of the statues near the throne has a pile of broken stone at its feet... and is missing its head. Again, it's very evident that it is a female statue, as there's little left to the imagination.

ZEIG also finds another statue to the side of the throne that is cowering in fear. His studded leather armor appears to have had a claw or something with multiple blades slash across his back.

ZEIG starts examining the throne and the pedestal. This is going to take about ten minutes to do alone. What are the other two of you doing?

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:15, Sun 08 Apr 2012.

SILI
 player, 1598 posts
Sun 8 Apr 2012
at 05:46
Re: 9:25am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"I don't suppose anyone thinks these things are natural? If not, then there might be something running around turning people to stone. You missed a spot." Sili helpfully gives Zeig some pointers on searching. Cheer.
teslas
 GM, 3421 posts
Mon 9 Apr 2012
at 08:30
Re: 9:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI joins in on snooping around the pedestal. It's a plain thing. Apart from actually pulling up every piece of stone to check for elaborately-crafted hidden devices, none of you find much. The throne is quite ornate in its decoration but sturdy and plain in its design. Just before everyone gives up, ZEIG runs his hand along something underneath the seat near the front. It feels like a simple lever of of some kind. Bending down and actually looking at the inches-tall gap between the base of the throne and the floor, he discovers that whatever it is, it's invisible to the naked eye.

It feels as if it can be pulled while leaning forward if sitting in the throne, or pushed up from the ground at ZEIG's current angle.

He also finds some old chewing gum stuck down there. It's not invisible, and now his hand is that special kind of sticky that will persist for the next few days. Ewwww.
DAI
 player, 1841 posts
Mon 9 Apr 2012
at 08:35
Re: 9:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI ponders on the explanation of the lever, wondering if it was there to move the throne(as to be expected) or a clever ruse that catapulted the sitter into the stone ceiling. After spending a few moments wondering how they could somehow coax the Chocobo into testing it, he finally shrugs and speaks. "Well...are we curious enough to test it? Or cautious enough to leave it be?"
ZEIG
 player, 1500 posts
 White Mage
Mon 9 Apr 2012
at 16:52
Re: 9:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Well we won't find anything if we don't try stuff. Drow have left traps for us before, but this is hidden away and impossible to see. I doubt it is a trap."

"Just in case though, take some of these cure potions. They're nice to have on hand anyways."

I have 8 and I can cure myself without them, much better, in fact. Take them!

This message was last edited by the player at 16:55, Mon 09 Apr 2012.

SILI
 player, 1599 posts
Mon 9 Apr 2012
at 18:57
Re: 9:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Leave it be. We got other stuff to do, and I want to get out of this place as soon as possible."
ZEIG
 player, 1501 posts
 White Mage
Mon 9 Apr 2012
at 20:15
Re: 9:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Well, we're here looking for the prince, or something he has become. We could explore the rest of the keep and then come check it out, barring other options."
teslas
 GM, 3424 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2012
at 19:10
Re: 9:33am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
I'll draw the full ASCII map if you guys manage to find something that's trying to kill you or decide to fight one another, otherwise, I'll simply describe what you find.

Since it was ZEIG's idea to explore that part, I'll assume he's going first. ZEIG, DAI, SILI, then MILO and, where appropriate, DAI and ZEIG will walk next to one another in front of SILI and MILO next to one another.

You also didn't specify that you'd be looking into closed doors or anything, so I don't want to assume that you are.


The party walks back by all of the statues and hangs a right down the northern hallway. It is smaller than the main hall, and 'only' 30 feet across. To your left as you advance is a set of large double doors that lead into a room that borders the exterior walls. You may notice that the floor of this hall has been worn extremely smooth and even has a bit of a dark sheen to it, as if it's seen ages upon ages of traffic to wear it down slightly. The walls are undecorated apart from elegantly carved bronze torch or lamp sconces. Very few still have the lamps still resting in them, though the oil looks to have long been evaporated or used.

You travel down this hallway for quite a ways. Another set of double doors passes by on your left, also closed, just as you can make out a grand spiral staircase ahead in the darkness. This staircase coincides with where you'd place one of the shorter castle towers seen from the exterior, and judging by the stairwell's size, must take up the majority or entirety of the tower's interior space. It goes down at least one floor and up one, maybe two.

Approaching further, there is a set of double doors, this time open, leading to the east (to your right) before the stairwell begins. What looks to be sunlight pouring into the middle of the hall far, far down it catches your eyes. From where you are now and from what you can see bathed in the distant sunlight, the hall looks similar to the one you're in.

The stairwell steps themselves are 15' across and are very broad and spaced rather far apart. It spirals in an extreme curve. The stone looks immensely sturdy and densely constructed. It would seem as if it was built to handle large loads of some kind going up and down it.

Conglomerated knowledge check results:
A giant could comfortably use the stairs, actually, and wouldn't have to duck. Something quite a bit larger could as well, if it took its careful time. The stairs are also gradual and shallow enough to allow pulling large and heavy loads up and down them.

Where to, now, kids? I'm just going to take the first direction anyone says. I'm going to assume you stay in your current pattern unless you state otherwise, and I'm going to assume you're fairly cautious in your approach to exploration.

Upstairs (p72) - Downstairs (p78) - Take a right (p22)

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:16, Tue 10 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3427 posts
Tue 10 Apr 2012
at 19:36
Re: 9:39am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG suggests that they go back and investigate the double doors they've passed before continuing on to another part of the keep.

Arriving back at the first set of double doors, the floor is worn down as if much of the traffic that has gone down the hall came out of or went into these doors. There's actually a small gap underneath the sturdy wooden things that no light or distinguishable odor pours out of apart from the standard dankness you've encountered everywhere else.

ZEIG holds his ear to the door for a moment and is confident there's nothing making a ruckus beyond.
14:24, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 14 using 1d20+4. Listen.

The door is nearly as thick as the exterior doors with the same iron or steel bolts and studs. While it does look aged, its sheer mass would require that a significant portion of the door became rotten before it would lose much strength.

Holding his staff inside and taking a quick look, ZEIG decides the coast is clear and the party enters. After a brief moment, the party agrees that this is almost assuredly a chocobos stabling area. There are wooden stalls all along the exterior wall of the castle large enough to keep a chocobo, although fully a third of them are collapsed or look beyond a usable condition.

Along the interior wall, across from the pens, there are some very shallow, rotting piles of vegetable matter that was probably straw years and years ago. There are rotting sacks not too far from those that were probably feed of some kind. A few shovels, rakes, and other similar stabling tools lay along the wall either still standing up or long fallen over.

The party continues its quick exploration. Near the southernmost wall (the one that would border the entry hall), you find two sets of well-crafted chain barding for chocobos. At least one of you will make the Appraise check to recognize it as steel, though it is well-crafted. Further north are several more stands for chocobo barding, though they are empty. Continuing on, you run into what are presumably the second set of double doors that you saw, and the room stretches on. DAI does some mental math, and concludes there is enough housing here for a troop's worth of mounted cavalry.

You're now back in the main hall near the stairwell from the previous post. If you'd like to retcon rolling Search checks on anything or grabbing some chocobo armor, go for it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:37, Tue 10 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1505 posts
 White Mage
Wed 11 Apr 2012
at 02:21
Re: 9:39am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig will check out the staircase and proceed down first.
DAI
 player, 1843 posts
Wed 11 Apr 2012
at 04:22
Re: 9:39am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI will take the chocobo barding and set it by the front doors, might come in handy if nothing else. After that he follows ZEIG down the dark spooky staircase(zoinks!).
teslas
 GM, 3430 posts
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 03:04
Re: 9:45am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
2x Masterwork chain shirt barding for chocobos
550gp
AC: 4
Max Dex: 4
Check Penalty: -1
50 lbs


With the two sets of chocobo barding near the front door, the party returns to the staircase and begins their descent.

The stairwell is lined with the same mostly vacant torch or lamp sconces as the hallway. You complete two full rotations before landing on the next floor, lowering yourselves roughly 40 feet into the first basement. The ceiling is 20 feet above you, and massive support archways are evenly spaced every twenty feet that lower the height to only fifteen feet. The hall is thirty feet wide, as the above floor, but the support arches constrict it to 20' at intervals--giving things that want to kill you plenty of places to hide.

The decoration is sparse, and no doors are readily apparent in the darkness, even to SILI. The floor is also worn smooth, though it seems as if slightly less traffic has scuffed along this ancient floor. Unlike a few places on the floor above, absolutely no shred of sunlight peeks in from the ceiling.

After stepping out into the hall, a set of double doors leading to your east (now your left) lead into a hall much like the one above it. ZEIG's staff sheds enough light to notice that it, too, has the massive support archways.

The only source of light is ZEIG's staff, with the tiniest hint of sunlight coming down the stairwell behind you. Mostly empty torch and lamp sconces are attached to the support archways pointing northward and southward on each side as to not constrict the central pathway any further.

You can go straight south, traveling parallel to the hall above you that you just explored, or head east (now to your left), underneath the hall above you that you did not explore.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:11, Thu 12 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1506 posts
 White Mage
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 04:08
Re: 9:45am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig will head south, exploring in the same manner as before, keeping his eyes and ears peeled.
00:08, Today: ZEIG rolled 24,21 using d20+4,d20+4. LIsten/Spot.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:09, Thu 12 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3432 posts
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 04:26
Re: 9:45am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
I am now intoxicated. I apologize if the quality or clarity of my posts has suffered.

ZEIG leads the way once more.

About ten feet into the hallway, SILI makes out a lump lying on the ground near the middle of the hall up ahead. Traveling closer, cautiously, SILI is the first to recognize that it seems to be the remains of some kind of humanoid judging by the armor sitting on or around it.

While you're about 40' away, just after the second set of support arches in the hall, everyone sees 4.5' wide doorway on either side of the hall facing one another. The doors are just behind the thick support arches, obscuring them from view until nearly upon them. There is a small peep-hole in each doorway with two metal bars spanning it. The doors are closed.

Peering into either, rotted remains of barrels and sacks and various types of sundries remain. The smell is a bit more "lived in" and dusky than the rest of the keep, so the liklihood of some of the remains being foodstuffs is likely. Both are shut, though one is cracked slightly, and the other doesn't appear to be locked.

MILO seems content at the moment, not smelling anything he perceives to be threatening. SILI advances just a bit further ahead and relays that there are in fact two bodies in the hall. He can make out some exposed brown bone, a breastplate, a shield of some kind, and some kind of chain armor.

You can examine the storage rooms or look at the bodies. Whoever posts is assumed to go first.
SILI
 player, 1600 posts
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 04:56
Re: 9:45am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Under the principle of it being less likely to come to life and try to murder him, Sili will check the storage room.

00:56, Today: SILI rolled 21 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 14. Search.

Also, how old are the bodies?

This message was last edited by the player at 04:57, Thu 12 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1507 posts
 White Mage
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 05:04
Re: 9:45am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig follows Sili and makes a mental note of the spoiled food for later.
teslas
 GM, 3433 posts
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 05:14
Re: 9:55am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
You're going to have to actually approach the bodies, but nothing kills you for walking up behind them and looking, so:
00:03, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 19 using 1d20+6. How old are the dead bodies?
00:02, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 23 using 1d20+3. How old are the dead bodies?

This nets you a 25 total.

The two dead bodies look to be no less than four or five years old. They can't possibly be more than thirty years old. The dank atmosphere and lack of sunlight or scavenging insects and animals in the keep's basement make the figure a little harder to guess. It's pretty clear they died at practically the same time, however.

It's clear that they're both drow, or at least elves, due to the elongated structure of some of the bones. You'd have to walk closer and actually find the skulls or rotted faces and ears to know for sure.

You see a rapier, a rotted longbow, a rotted quiver of arrows (though the few arrows that are left look fine), a heavy shield, and a breastplate lying on, underneath, or near the bodies in plain view.


Turning to the storage rooms, not wanting to get too close to the bodies, SILI briskly canvases the both of them. Neither door was locked or even latched. He finds some barrels mostly full of older lamp oil that have more or less kept their seals. The oil smells to be in decent condition, and should burn just fine apart from being a bit smokey. He finds a lot of rotted sacks of food, quite a few sacks of salt that are in very usable condition, and many crates that are falling apart full of various spices, foodstuffs, and preserved meats which are all long-spoiled. It's very clear that these rooms were not designed to hold anything of value apart from practical provisions.

Going to assume the other two of you helped on this to cut down the time. These checks can't decrease SILI's result, but if you meet, beat, or come close, they will decrease the time taken.
00:10, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 6 using 1d20+4. search.
00:10, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 21 using 1d20+2. search.


Continue down the hallway?

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:14, Thu 12 Apr 2012.

SILI
 player, 1601 posts
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 05:21
Re: 9:55am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili peeks his head out the storage room and looks down the hallway. Assuming he doesn't see any slobbering monsters or drow zombies, he'll continue on down the hall.
teslas
 GM, 3434 posts
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 05:36
Re: 9:59am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
SILI takes point with MILO close behind. ZEIG holds his staff in front of him with DAI following beside him.

The party steps around the bodies carefully, not disturbing them. After the next set of archways, more storage rooms are found. Their contents are almost identical to the previous two rooms. Two, three, four, and five more times you pass the same sight of storage rooms on your left and right.

If you want to stop and search any of the rooms individually, it will take more time.

The hall stretches on forward to the south as you come across a set of double doors on your left, westward. This room or hall would lie directly underneath the main hall. The doors are closed, and no light can be seen escaping from their edges. They look to be the same, sturdy type of doors you've seen elsewhere--more than large enough for a chocobo to comfortably pass through.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 05:40, Thu 12 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1508 posts
 White Mage
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 05:48
Re: 9:59am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig tries to open the door, hoping for something more than spoiled provisions.
teslas
 GM, 3436 posts
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 20:46
Re: 10:06am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG takes point, with MILO and SILI close behind.

The double doors are heavy and stick a bit as ZEIG pulls and then pushes on them, but finally budge after using his staff for some leverage. The floor is lower than that of the hall's by five feet. You must step down into the room by means of a 10' long stairway that radiates in a semi-circle out in all three directions. The dip brings the gap between the floor and the ceiling to 25 feet. 5-foot thick pillars are evenly spaced throughout the room in a grid-like fashion every 30 feet.

Every pillar has a sconce for a lamp or torch on all four sides with few exceptions, though the place where one used to hang can be seen in every example. Each pillar is carved with elaborate dwarven runes describing the keep's constructors and their various lineages. Unfortunately, it seems as if undercommon graffiti of different kinds has been etched over a decent percentage of them, and in many places the pillars are damaged from what looks to be impacts from various objects.

The room is vast, and it takes the group of you several moments to circumnavigate it. Your blood-pssure rises slightly every time a pillar is passed at the thought of something jumping out from the shadows behind it. Nothing does, and MILO sniffs the air and curiously, alternating between the two a few times a minute.

If you take the time to study them (and it will take some time and a couple-few checks), you can date the keep and learn more about when the dwarves inhabited this part of the world, if that kind of stuff interests you.


All along the walls lie weapon racks, the vast majority of which are empty. There are a few halberds, longspears, rapiers, longswords, and shortswords hanging in various places. They are all of at least masterwork quality. Nearer to the center of the room stand what were probably training dummies of certain kinds. There are more throwing knives, longswords, rapiers, crossbow bolts, arrows, shields of various sizes, and even lances than you can count littered around and sitting on weapons racks. It looks as if this were some kind of training area. Most of these training weapons are in very poor shape.

Doing some more mental math, DAI guesses that, all told, there were enough weapons in here to outfit at least 500 soldiers. Apart from the half-dozen armed drow statues or corpses you've seen, where they have all gone is not clear.

The room has four exits. All four sets of double doors are identical with the same style staircase, and they lay symmetrically placed in the middle of each edge of the room's large rectangular shape. One of them obviously leads back into the hall you've partly explored to the west. The other three are closed. This room lies directly underneath the main hall on the floor above and is slightly larger. The only visible light source continues to be ZEIG's staff.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:53, Thu 12 Apr 2012.

SILI
 player, 1602 posts
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 21:48
Re: 10:06am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili will take the time to study the architecture.

17:47, Today: SILI rolled 21 using 1d20+3 with rolls of 18. Knowledge (Arc. & Eng., untrained).

If any other roll applies, feel free to roll them for me. Otherwise you'll have to specify which.

GM Edit-
Remember, you're not rolling it untrained. All skills count as trained for you, though you don't get any bonuses to crafts, knowledges, and professions.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:57, Thu 12 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3437 posts
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 22:03
Re: 10:31am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
SILI begins to examine the pillars, quickly side-tracking DAI and ZEIG as well for nearly a half hour. MILO looks somewhat annoyed by the activity. You're moving too far him to lay down in one spot for long, but not enough to be of any interest to him.

The party takes the time to study the pillars more carefully. The process is slow, as DAI is the only one who can actually read dwarven, and the text is slightly older and of a different dialect than basically anything he's read before. SILI very competently guesses and intuits several of the symbols that DAI does not immediately recognize, measurably speeding up the process. ZEIG holds up the light and interjects when he recognizes something of importance that DAI and SILI either did not know or have come to mind.
16:59, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 22 using 1d20+6. Decipher Script.

16:57, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 19 using 1d20+11. Know (history).
16:57, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 21 using 1d20+10. Know (history).
16:57, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 18 using 1d20+8. Know (history).
Final Result: 25

What the hell. The entire party is full of god damn historians.

17:01, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 29 using 1d20+11. Know (nobility).
17:01, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 12 using 1d20+7. Know (nobility).
Final Result: 31

And conveniently, SILI actually wrote the textbook book about this particular dwarven lineage.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:38, Thu 12 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3438 posts
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 22:19
Re: 10:35am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The party makes some likely assumptions about the family names and dates of the pillars.

It appears as if this keep indeed began as a dwarven outpost mining for mithril and steadily grew in size and stature. The date of initial occupation was almost missed, but DAI stumbles upon it while ZEIG is looking at some of the names with SILI, shedding light near the bottom of one of the pillars.
17:08, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 8 using 1d20+7. Search.
17:08, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 14 using 1d20+2. Search.
17:07, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 21 using 1d20+4. Search.

Earthsday, 2nd week of the year 4s after the date is translated to Cornelian time--just after the modern Cornelian royal line began to rule the northern portion of the continent.

17:27, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 22 using 1d20+11. Know (local).
The Earthsday portion makes sense, as the dwarves feel that it's not good luck to open a new mine or break new earth for construction on any other day.

This room was built underneath the grand hall for the dwarven noble line that ran the keep and the surrounding mines for nearly seven hundred years. Carving a pillar was apparently a tradition that began slightly after their completion, and lasted up until the dwarves left. There is no mention of the event that caused them to leave or the exact date, and several of the outlying pillars have no inscriptions at all.

The three of you can fairly easily guess that the drow had much to do with their leaving based on what you've gathered from the elves and what you already knew. Most likely it was rising hostilities mixed with the mithral mines beginning to run dry. At a certain point, the diminishing amount of mithril being excavated wasn't worth maintaining a presence. The drow gladly replaced the dwarves almost immediately after their departure, claiming the close-to-impenetrable outpost for themselves as an above-ground bastion.

A few of the titles and names, in what pass for dwarven jokes, spark up interest as you browse.

"Worm-Slayer"
"Slime-Swimmer"
"Spider-Queen--King"
"Worm Legged"
the list goes on...

Whatever was going on here, they apparently encountered slimy worms on a halfway regular basis, and either killing or surviving such an encounter was worth noting.

Finally, the noble dwarven line, the Silver-shields to outsiders, that ruled this keep is still in existence, and is still somewhat prominent in dwarven lands. ZEIG seems to remember a story floating around that the drow refused to return something to the family after they left in a sort of political snubbing, and that it might be here. What it was exactly, he's not so sure, but finding it might be interesting. Returning it would surely net you an honored place in their home for an evening, if not a bit more. SILI corroborates the story, suggesting it was probably too large to be moved by a single person.

Everyone gains 350 Experience Points.

Now where to? Look in the above post for your options.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:52, Thu 12 Apr 2012.

SILI
 player, 1603 posts
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 22:24
Re: 10:35am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
What does the graffiti say?
teslas
 GM, 3439 posts
Thu 12 Apr 2012
at 22:30
Re: 10:35am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The graffiti is a mixture of propaganda against various captains and commanders of the units in the keep. The slang is crude by drow standards, indicating it was mostly scrawled by the lowest class male members of the society here. It looks as if the keep was ruled over by two drow houses vying for dominance, with a third house providing most of the skilled labor that was less involved in the local politics.

There are complaints of the food, the annoying smell of the sprouting mountain grasses, and some lewd limericks in undercommon about a few of the drow priestesses. As you may have assumed, basically none of the graffiti is signed by their respective authors. Fewer still are any usable dates, though you could try to find some if you wanted to spend some more time looking around specifically for them.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:34, Thu 12 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1509 posts
 White Mage
Fri 13 Apr 2012
at 16:04
Re: 10:35am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Hmm. I'd venture a guess that these exits all lead to hallways with their own respective staircases and towers. Unless a passageway has collapsed then maybe we should start exploring the unconnected bits, like the towers? Its just a guess though, and if I'm right, it won't hurt anything to see about the east hallway next and proceed from there."

I might have this mixed up in my head but I think I got the layout we've explored so far.

Zeig moves toward the east door, listens at it, and then begins prying it open if he doesn't hear anything suspicious.
12:01, Today: ZEIG rolled 15 using 1d20+4. listen.
teslas
 GM, 3443 posts
Sat 14 Apr 2012
at 09:52
Re: 10:38am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
This door is a bit more jammed than the last. ZEIG opens it about six inches with as it lets out a loud *CREaaaaaeeeEAAAAAKKAKAKCKK*. The party freezes. MILO cocks his head to the side about 30 degrees, then sniffs the air.

Nothing happens after some tense moments, and none of you hear anything running toward you.

Turning to the rest of the party, breathing, and then going back to the door, ZEIG opens it the rest of the way. The hallway beyond is much like the rest with the support archways, torch sconces, and general creepiness. You don't see any doors as you move out into it for a few feet.

Exploring further, unlike the other hall(s), this one doesn't appear to have any doors along it.

You're in the middle of the hall on the east side of the central room. You've not explored the "north" or "south" halls at this point, which connect the east and west halls together (the ones you've already explored).

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:53, Sat 14 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1510 posts
 White Mage
Sat 14 Apr 2012
at 11:07
Re: 10:38am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig will move north and look around, sweeping the north hallway and eventually the south if nothing aggressive is encountered.

Can do the whole 'we searched' or whatever after the meat post.
ZEIG
 player, 1515 posts
 White Mage
Mon 16 Apr 2012
at 03:00
Re: 10:38am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig keeps an eye out as they canvas this floor of the keep, searching the north and south hallways. If nothing of particular interest is found, he heads into the upper regions of the first staircase that they have not yet explored (NW?).

22:57, Today: ZEIG rolled 12 using 1d20+2. generic search.
22:57, Today: ZEIG rolled 22,13 using d20+4,d20+4. listen/spot.

teslas
 GM, 3449 posts
Mon 16 Apr 2012
at 07:45
Re: 10:48am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG recasts Illuminate on his staff the instant it expires.

The party makes its way to the north hall. It is identical in construction to the others on this floor thus far. All along its northern edge are doors that lead into 10x10 rooms with two beds. Halfway down the hall, a T intersection leads into another hall leading northward perpendicular to it. It, too, is lined with room after room after room. Each room has a footlocker, and every one that you've noticed has a padlock on it. Some of them are unlatched. They vary in quality wildly. There is also a set of shelves in each room. On them lie what looks to be a few spare sets of clothing for who stayed inside. The are simple drow clothes, and the vast, vast majority of them are tailored for males with few exceptions.

At the very end of the hall that stretches on for a distance, you find another T intersection to the east and west. These rooms are all locked and have no small windows in the doors. Most have nameplates bolted to the front of them. SILI reads off some honorifics of officers and nobility. These were apparently quarters for the drow in some kind of leadership role. There are 22 rooms with locked doors. The doors at the two ends of this hall are especially ornate. One has a nameplate: "Commander Phaerssysn'uque" (SILI relays that this is a female name). The other does not.

In just the rooms you've seen, 300+ people, soldiers or otherwise, could call this hall home.

If you busted/tried to bust through every chest you see, it'd take a good six hours, easy. There's no telling what's inside of them or what kind of personal effects that would be left behind.

Your Protect and Shell effects are due to expire very soon.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:47, Mon 16 Apr 2012.

DAI
 player, 1854 posts
Tue 17 Apr 2012
at 00:15
Re: 10:48am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI scratches his head, his own morbid curiosity wanting him to smash these chests open, but in the end he decided to leave it, for the sake of time. "Eh...come on, let's check another part of the keep, there has to be something here. I guess if we run out of places to check we can always try the throne."
ZEIG
 player, 1519 posts
 White Mage
Tue 17 Apr 2012
at 03:39
Re: 10:48am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Maybe we could start with the original tower?"

Zeig moves to explore the NW staircase that leads up, presumably into a small tower.
The same staircase that got us onto this basement floor.
teslas
 GM, 3454 posts
Wed 18 Apr 2012
at 00:23
Re: 10:48am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Just a re-cap:

The tower you came down goes down another floor (or more) and goes up at least two floors from where you are now. We'll call this "basement 1". You also haven't explored the southern hall of this floor. I think ZEIG had said he wanted to do that previously, so I'll go ahead and update the game accordingly before you guys leave.

teslas
 GM, 3455 posts
Wed 18 Apr 2012
at 01:02
Re: 11:03am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The party makes its way to the southern hall on the floor. You find much the same thing here as you did in the previous hallway.

The rooms here are also unlocked all down the hall, and inside are two sets of bunk beds and one cabinet per room. Most of the cabinets are locked, but investigating a third you find that it's open. Inside are simple sets of drow clothing. It appears to be compartmentalized into four sections. One of them is rather messy while the other three are organized. Looking at the lock while its open reveals that it's of rather poor quality--only there to make sure whoever breaks in has to spend an extra few seconds or make a noise to do so.

As on the other hall, this one has an intersection in the middle of it as well. Along this perpendicular area are more rooms, all with sleeping area for 3-4 people. Counting, this would bring the standing force of this keep up to no less than 750 and as much as a thousand.

At the end of this hall is a stairwell large enough for a few people to go up or down it at a time. this stairwell must have been the outermost tower basically hanging over the edge of the cliff that you saw as you approached. It was quite thin, and the stairs only lead up.

Moving on to going back upstairs.

This message was last updated by the GM at 01:15, Wed 18 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3456 posts
Wed 18 Apr 2012
at 01:14
Re: 11:08am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
You all head back to the staircase originally used and follow it upward two floors.

The staircase wraps around several times and ends inside of the tower. The large circular room has one set of massive metal doors that point to the southeast--inward toward the keep. They are closed, but sunlight shines in through the tiny gap underneath and between them.

Two tall and sturdy wooden ladders are attached to the walls in the room, and go up through the ceiling into a room above. There are spaces on the wall where some stone has been pulled from it in a regular pattern. It was probably some kind of metal staircase that originally lead upwards.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:16, Wed 18 Apr 2012.

DAI
 player, 1855 posts
Wed 18 Apr 2012
at 02:26
Re: 11:08am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI looks at the ladders expectantly, as if waiting for them to turn into stairs. His gaze finally shifts to SILI and ZEIG, and he speaks up. "Well...anyone up for a climb? Can't say it's my first choice of transport..."
ZEIG
 player, 1520 posts
 White Mage
Wed 18 Apr 2012
at 03:40
Re: 11:08am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig resigns himself to climbing the ladder.
"Nothing ventured, nothing gained."
SILI
 player, 1608 posts
Wed 18 Apr 2012
at 04:43
Re: 11:08am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili coughs, and points to Milo. Milo looks at the ladder dubiously.
teslas
 GM, 3458 posts
Thu 19 Apr 2012
at 03:45
Re: 11:10am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG climbs the ladder nearest to him. Like most other wooden parts of the keep, it is soft to the touch and is beginning to show signs of neglect and surface rot, but is so thickly constructed that it will probably still be safe enough to use for the next twenty five years or more.

The room above is plain. Thick wooden shutters cover what are probably small holes looking out to the keep's surroundings. A final ladder and a 5'x5' trap door door lead up to what is probably the roof of the short tower 30' above the floor.

The room has some old rope hammocks tied to the ascending ladder and two neighboring torch sconces. The shutters are all closed and let only the smallest bit of sunlight seep through--nowhere close to enough to illuminate the room. The trap door isn't letting any through at all.

There are also three wooden tables, two weapon racks, one of which with two heavy crossbows that look to be in decent condition, if not neglected, and a crate full of a multitude of crossbow bolts. The centerpiece of the circular room is a huge bronze bell covered in dwarven runes mounted underneath the crosspoint of two massive stone arches.

DAI, SILI, and MILO wait below in the near-darkness, watching ZEIG's light move through either hole in the ceiling.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:46, Thu 19 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1521 posts
 White Mage
Fri 20 Apr 2012
at 02:35
Re: 11:10am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Just a sec, there are a couple things to look through up here."

Zeig takes a 20 searching the surrounding area, including the bell and weapons racks.
22:34, Today: Zeign rolled 18 using 1d20+10. history, bell.
22:33, Today: Zeign rolled 9 using 1d20+3. decipher script, bell.


After checking out the surroundings Zeig will proceed up the ladder and open the trap door, exploring what lies above.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:35, Fri 20 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3462 posts
Mon 23 Apr 2012
at 14:37
Re: 11:21am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The party waits for another ten minutes as ZEIG searches behind the weapon racks and ducks underneath and into to the underside of the bell.

ZEIG finds four silver pieces of drow minting in a pile of dust behind an empty weapon rack. The inside of the bell is smooth and appears to be quite perfect--truly an example of an extreme mastery of metallurgy. It's obviously of dwarven make, and ZEIG can recall a few passages about dwarven fortresses ringing out in alarm at an oncoming threat. This bell would undoubtedly be loud, but you see no object or mechanism with which to strike it.

After he's done looking around, he climbs up the ladder to the trap door. Pushing up against the door does not budge it more than the tiniest bit. ZEIG takes a second glance at where the hinges would be and makes sure there are no locks he may have missed. It definitely opens upwards, and it is definitely not locked from this side.

If you want to open it, we're into the strength check territory. You can of course take a 20 on such checks if you have the time and doing so carries with it no penalty for failure. Due to SILI's buff to your Climb skill, you can safely take 10 while doing all of this and have no risk of falling from the ladder, although you definitely look pretty awkward up there.

The ladder is about a half-turn around the circular room from either of the other two ladders, so you don't need to worry about falling all the way back down or any such similar shitty-DM shenanigans.

Just so we're clear, it's a bit unorthodox to have an external door of any type that locks from the other side. Possible, yeah, especially on a tower where getting to the top might be "difficult", but odd.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:41, Mon 23 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1525 posts
 White Mage
Mon 23 Apr 2012
at 16:00
Re: 11:21am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Mrph. I can't get this door open."

Zeig passes on heading further on alone and instead heads back to the party, relating the information regarding the room above.

"How about these doors, then? At least Miloh can go with us this way."

This message was last edited by the player at 16:42, Mon 23 Apr 2012.

SILI
 player, 1611 posts
Mon 23 Apr 2012
at 16:33
Re: 11:21am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Sounds good to me." Sili moves to the massive metal doors and tries to open them.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:19, Mon 23 Apr 2012.

DAI
 player, 1860 posts
Mon 23 Apr 2012
at 16:54
Re: 11:21am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI goes to aid SILI.

"push push push, push the giant doors open~"
teslas
 GM, 3463 posts
Tue 24 Apr 2012
at 10:21
Re: 11:23am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The doors are not locked, though a massive metal bar lays on the ground along the nearby wall that fits into a mount which appears to be the means of doing so. The three of you aren't sure if you could collectively pick up and move the bar without employing clever improvisation using the weapon racks, some rope, and plenty of leverage.

SILI and DAI lean into the doors. The hinges respond as if they were installed yesterday, barely making a noise and providing no resistance. The doors are still slow to open outward, having to overcome a literal ton's worth of inertia. The sunlight pouring in through the new opening is blinding to all of you. It was extremely easy to forget what a clear and sunny day it is while inside of the keep.

SILI and DAI stand in the doorway squinting out. The halls below form the thick outer walls of the keep. There is a 10'-wide landing outside of the door that circles around to the east and south of the tower. It overlooks an interior courtyard at least 40' below. The walkways leading away from the tower are 25' wide.

The walkways to the south and east are covered by massive half-arches every 25' that lead up from the outer edge of the walkway to the second floor's recessed exterior walls. All down the walkways you can see more thick wooden doors leading to various rooms. They probably aren't very large, and these doors are probably the only means to reach them. You all guess that the drow most likely didn't make much use of these rooms, being exposed to the elements (and the sun) to enter them. On the outer edge of the walkways runs a low and extremely thick wall. Tripping off and down to a probable death isn't likely, though it would not be hard to be thrown over it. It's just shy of 4' tall. Damn dwarves.

04:51, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 21 using 1d20+3. Know (archi).
SILI explains that the arches could probably be used to support wooden covers overhead. These can be used to keep out the rain, cold, arrows, flying adversaries, or any other such thing. There are no signs of anything at the moment, remnants, hooks, or debris, so the liklihood of anything being there when the last of the drow were here is quite low.

Moreover, the arches being curved like they are means that they could probably stand the impact of siege style weaponry for a respectable amount of time. It might be more appropriate to call this structure a fortress.
You're like 3/4 on breaking 20 with only a +3 to Know (archi).

The courtyard below has not been maintained for quite some time. Several large trees are growing up against the stonework and stress cracks of varying widths are visible even from your distance. A couple of the trees are close enough to where someone more athletically inclined than the three of you could feel comfortable jumping over and then climbing down, or climbing up and then jumping onto the landing.

SILI notes large patches of white discoloration against the dark gray stone on quite a few of the arches that he does not recognize after explaining their purpose. He points this out to DAI and ZEIG, but neither of them have any idea. Knowledge (nature).

Not really having much of a reason why while listening to SILI talk about the white streaks and splotches, DAI looks upward. For a brief moment thinks he sees movement on the top of the tower--something looking over the edge at the party and then ducking back.

This is sorta hard to put into text, or rather, I suck at putting it into text at 5:00am. Here's a kinda-to-scale rendition to help you understand.

T = tower (rises up and above you)
D = the doors you just opened (the tower is round)
W = the tops of the halls below, wide walkways
L = landing, overlooking the courtyard below, leads around to walkways
- = walls, plenty of smaller doors
| = walls, plenty of smaller doors
. = interior courtyard, floor below you
k = the rooms behind the doors, parts of the keep

TTTWWWWWWW
TTTWWWWWWW
TTDL------
WWLLkkkkkk
WW|k......
WW|k......
WW|k......
WW|kkkkkkk
WW|kkkkkkk


From where you are now, you can't really get a good view of anything but the courtyard and a small stretch of the walkways. You definitely cannot look out into the surrounding countryside. DAI and SILI are beside one another half-in half-out of the doorway. ZEIG and MILO are behind them in the room, blinking.

I don't know if it will come up, but opening or closing these doors takes a full-round action and a DC 10 strength check each.

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:50, Fri 27 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1527 posts
 White Mage
Wed 25 Apr 2012
at 16:40
Re: 11:23am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig replaces one of the protective veils on the party before venturing out onto the walkway for a better look. Moving east about 15' along the lower line of Ws that are adjacent to our door/landing. He will then wait for the rest of the party to catch up and take a good look around.
Protectra +3
MP: 45/67

This message was last edited by the player at 16:41, Wed 25 Apr 2012.

SILI
 player, 1612 posts
Wed 25 Apr 2012
at 17:06
Re: 11:23am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili follows, looking out into the courtyard.
DAI
 player, 1861 posts
Wed 25 Apr 2012
at 20:21
Re: 11:23am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI shrugs, then looks around a he walks out. "So...should we start checking the rooms here?"
teslas
 GM, 3464 posts
Thu 26 Apr 2012
at 12:54
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Remember, that ASCII map was quickly made and not to scale, so you're not super far from the tower.

ZEIG recasts Protectra and the group continues on their way to the east. SILI's view of the courtyard is partly blocked by a large somewhat out-of-place looking tree.
07:48, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 15 using 1d20+3. Know (nature).
He can't place where it's from, but it's definitely not native to these parts. It's probably no less than a few hundred years old. As the party leaves the landing the courtyard can no longer be seen.

Ten feet away, the first doorway to your right is closed. It is a standard sturdy-looking door similar to all of the rest you've seen. The doors are not exactly consistent in their spacing, but occur at a distance of roughly every 30'.

I'm going to assume you're essentially "hugging" the southern wall, not near the outside edge. Nothing jumps up and shoots all of you with laser-eye death beams.

Protectra
will expire at 12:53pm.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:56, Thu 26 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1528 posts
 White Mage
Thu 26 Apr 2012
at 22:38
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig will start rifling through a few rooms, hoping for something interesting. If the pattern of mundane is fairly repetitive then he will move towards the next tower.
DAI
 player, 1862 posts
Thu 26 Apr 2012
at 22:53
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI follows along, aiding in searches when needed, but otherwise just staying alert.
teslas
 GM, 3467 posts
Thu 26 Apr 2012
at 22:54
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
17:43, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 10 using 1d20+1. Spot.
17:43, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 12 using 1d20+4. Spot.
17:43, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 5 using 1d20+4. Spot.
17:43, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 18 using 1d20+5. MILO Spot.


ZEIG, with the other two (and a half!) of you in tow, moves up to the first door ready to continue the monotonous scouring of the keep. There is a large, almost comically so, keyhole, and a massive metal handle. ZEIG reaches down to open the door but catches something out of the corner of his eye dashing downward toward them.

Surprise Round:
22: Hawks
21: DAI  - DOES NOT ACT THIS ROUND
17: SILI - DOES NOT ACT THIS ROUND
12: ZEIG
 9: MILO - Flat-footed


Two immense birds dive from the top tower behind the party and begin a rapid descent directly toward everyone.

Standard action only. I'll make the map to follow. The archways overhead stretching down to the exterior edge of the walkway will provide some amount of cover from their sweep, so if you want to do that before I have a chance to draw the map you can say you'd like to do that. 30' of movement is enough to get there.

The birds are about twenty feet away, and had absolutely no issue diving down from the tower and closing the 100'+ gap between the top of the tower and where they are now in a near instant (standard action).

The hawks have a wingspan of about twenty feet (and are size Large). None of you are armored... or weigh very much... so the odds of them having the ability to pick you up off of the ground and continuing to fly is probably pretty decent.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:03, Thu 26 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1529 posts
 White Mage
Thu 26 Apr 2012
at 23:22
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig dashes to the archway cover and yells out "Look out, giant hawks!"

Pretty sure you meant that movement as part of the surprise round. If you didn't then I'll fear the closest hawk for my surprise round action.
teslas
 GM, 3469 posts
Fri 27 Apr 2012
at 10:19
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
MILO pivots around and snarls upward with his twin rows of teeth ready to bite at anything that comes near he or SILI.

The first hawk continues its trajectory to swoop underneath the archways, stretching its talons out at DAI's head and shrieking so loudly that it could have probably been heard in the basement of the keep. MILO jumps up a bit and rakes his teeth across one of the scaly legs, but is unable to pull the massive bird from the air.
05:04, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 14 using 1d20+6. MILO bite vs. #1.
05:07, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 6 using 1d6+4. MILO bite damage.
05:05, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 8 using 1d20+3. MILO trip vs. #1.
05:06, Today: teslas rolled 14 using 1d20+8. giant hawk trip resist.


It continues, sending a talon across DAI's neck, causing a fair amount of blood loss to begin.
05:10, Today: teslas rolled 17 using 1d20+11. #1 talon vs. DAI.
05:10, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 8 using 1d8+4. talon damage.
20:32, Today: teslas rolled 8 using 1d8+4. extra talon damage (retcon).

It continues to fly in the same direction for another 60'.

The second hawk's head swivels slightly to the already-wounded DAI from SILI. It performs much the same maneuver. MILO lets out a furious and frustrated deep-pitched bark as it flies overhead. ZEIG's protective barrier flashes briefly as the talon only knocks DAI's hat off-center.
05:15, Today: teslas rolled 13 using 1d20+11. #2 talon vs. DAI.
It continues its course 10' from the ground behind #1.

Round 1:
22: MILO
22: Hawk #1    - 10' up
22: Hawk #2    - 10' up
21: DAI
17: SILI       - Flat-footed
12: ZEIG

_ = 3.5' tall wall between you and a fall that would kill most people to the exterior of the keep.
- = Stone wall
# = door (all closed)
. = stone archway, where it meets the short wall. (cannot occupy this space without balance/climb checks.)
' = stone archway, 7' above the walkway
` = stone archway, rising up to meet the wall of the keep (25' of clearance where it meets)

______._____._____._____._____
      '     '     Z     '
      `     `     `     22
      `     `S    `     2211
      `     MD    `     ` 11
--------------#-----#-------#-



The archways are consistent. If you don't see them drawn on the map, it's because something is underneath them. For instance, MILO, ZEIG, and hawk #2 are all standing or flying under them at the moment.

For the sake of ease, we're going to treat the world as if it were made of 5' cubes. So if you drop prone (or are MILO), you only occupy an area along the ground. This means the birds have to fly within 5' of the ground to reach you (they only have 5' reach). If you are standing, they can fly within 10' of the ground. MILO also cannot attack, normally, things that tall in the air unless he uses a move action to make a jump check or has readied an action to bite the talons that are attacking his allies (which he did). He cannot make attacks of opportunity against things that are 10' or more off of the ground.

To the left of the map, the walkway continues for a short bit, segues into the landing area around the courtyard overlook, then meets the tower. To the right, the walkway continues for a good distance. You'd have to spend at least two rounds, running, to get to the end. There is another tower there. If your movement would take you off of of the map to any great degree, I'll draw more and you can continue your action from there.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:33, Sat 28 Apr 2012.

DAI
 player, 1863 posts
Fri 27 Apr 2012
at 20:39
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI's eye twitches a little and he winces from the pain, watching the other talon bounce off the invisible barrier right in front of his neck. "Giant birds...know what? No." He tosses a hand forward as an intense lance of heat flies forward, aimed at the bird's torso. "Who wants some instantaneously roasted chicken?"

13:35, Today: DAI rolled 10,59 using d20+5,5d12+15. Fire II vs 1.
13:38, Today: DAI rolled 2 using 1d4. dazzle(-2) duration, R18 negates.

MP 60/68

GM Edit-
Did you not want your chance at free mana?

20:25, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 3 using 1d20. Conserve MP.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:25, Sat 28 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3472 posts
Sat 28 Apr 2012
at 01:29
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The hawk, already slightly injured from MILO's bite, goes limp and skids then rolls along the walkway due to its momentum for a bit of a distance, all the while billowing thick gray smoke from its singed feathers. If DAI's spell didn't finish it off, the unconscious hard landing definitely did.

Round 1:
22: MILO
22: Hawk #2    - 10' up
21: DAI
17: SILI
12: ZEIG

_ = 3.5' tall wall between you and a fall that would kill most people to the exterior of the keep.
- = Stone wall
# = door (all closed)
. = stone archway, where it meets the short wall. (cannot occupy this space without balance/climb checks.)
' = stone archway, 7' above the walkway
` = stone archway, rising up to meet the wall of the keep (25' of clearance where it meets)

______._____._____._____._____
      '     '     Z     '
      `     `     `     22
      `     `S    `     22
      `     MD    `     `
--------------#-----#-------#-

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:05, Sat 28 Apr 2012.

SILI
 player, 1613 posts
Sat 28 Apr 2012
at 13:04
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili moves 20 ft. forward and plays a lullaby, trying to put the bird to sleep. After finishing, he orders Milo to stay put.

09:00, Today: SILI rolled 23 using 1d20+16 with rolls of 7. Perform (Harp) (Lullaby on Big Bird).

23/3 = 7, 4th level spell, so DC 17 Will save or falls into a gentle slumber, and can be woken up if we get too close.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:06, Sat 28 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3476 posts
Sat 28 Apr 2012
at 15:40
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The giant bird's head sways a bit but it is otherwise unaffected by SILI's song.

Round 1:
22: MILO
22: Hawk #2 - 10' up
21: DAI
17: SILI
12: ZEIG

_ = 3.5' tall wall between you and a fall that would kill most people to the exterior of the keep.
- = Stone wall
# = door (all closed)
. = stone archway, where it meets the short wall. (cannot occupy this space without balance/climb checks.)
' = stone archway, 7' above the walkway
` = stone archway, rising up to meet the wall of the keep (25' of clearance where it meets)

______._____._____._____._____
      '     '     Z     '
      `     `     `     22
      `     `    S`     22
      `     MD    `     `
--------------#-----#-------#-

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 16:02, Sat 28 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1533 posts
 White Mage
Sat 28 Apr 2012
at 16:51
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig casts Fear at the bird and moves 30' to the left. "Nice shot damn!"
DC 15 Will, CL 8 due to Lightsday, duration 5 rounds on success.
MP: 44/67

This message was last edited by the player at 17:01, Sat 28 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3478 posts
Sat 28 Apr 2012
at 17:18
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The hawk lets out a quieter shriek, as if surprised by something.

A half-dozen other screeching noises can be heard in the distance.
12:12, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 15 using 1d20+4. Listen.
12:12, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 19 using 1d20+1. Listen.
12:12, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 13 using 1d20+4. Listen.


MILO takes a position just in front of SILI between he and the bird, readying himself to attempt to defend his master.

The hawk performs a turly impressive aerial maneuver, turning over and changing its course by almost 90 degrees while barely losing any speed in the process. It flies to the north and dives down after clearing the short wall, out of sight.

Going to preserve initiative order for now. There are no combatants within view.

Round 2:
22: MILO    - Readied Action
22: Hawk #2 - Frightened
21: DAI
17: SILI
12: ZEIG

_ = 3.5' tall wall between you and a fall that would kill most people to the exterior of the keep.
- = Stone wall
# = door (all closed)
. = stone archway, where it meets the short wall. (cannot occupy this space without balance/climb checks.)
' = stone archway, 7' above the walkway
` = stone archway, rising up to meet the wall of the keep (25' of clearance where it meets)

______._____._____._____._____
      '     '     Z     '
      `     `     `     `
      `     `    SM     `
      `     `D    `     `
--------------#-----#-------#-

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:18, Sat 28 Apr 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3480 posts
Sat 28 Apr 2012
at 18:58
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
More elaboration on what you can do during this time:

You can obviously stay where you are, waiting to see what happens, using the archways for cover potentially.

As a Run action, assuming you move at a rate of 30' or more, you can easily get back to the edge of the landing at the base of the tower to the west. One turn after that, you could get back inside--as the doors were left open.

The tower to the east is at least a couple rounds away. Then there are all the doors along the southern wall. And then you could also jump off of the exterior wall for shiggles if that's your thing.

Finally, there's the tree in the courtyard accessible from the landing (with some skill checks involved).

DAI
 player, 1867 posts
Sat 28 Apr 2012
at 22:13
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Guys, more birds...likely coming, from...there." he says as he points at the East tower and somewhere toward the South. He then starts running full sprint toward the tower they came from.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:33, Sat 28 Apr 2012.

SILI
 player, 1616 posts
Sat 28 Apr 2012
at 22:55
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Then let's get back inside." Sili nods to the west, where the open doors stood waiting. Sili runs behind Dai, calling for Milo to follow him.

Now's the time to cast fast, cuz Sili's about to start running. Note: with his harp out, Sili has 20 ft. movement. So I'm going to be lagging behind unless I take time to put my harp up; if it's only going to take a round or two it's simpler just to run.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:42, Sat 28 Apr 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1536 posts
 White Mage
Sun 29 Apr 2012
at 14:47
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"I don't want to be a chicken dinner!" Zeig runs for the door.

Look at that clever 90s cartoon one liner.
teslas
 GM, 3487 posts
Mon 30 Apr 2012
at 01:32
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
MILO trots behind SILI keeping his head turned upward. Behind you in the distance you see two more hawks diving down from the eastern tower. More cries of the giant birds are also getting closer out of sight to the south. The bird ZEIG cast Fear upon does not return within view.

Round 3:
22: MILO
22: Hawk #2
21: DAI
17: SILI
12: ZEIG
10: 2x Eastern Hawks
 9: ?x Southern Hawks


All of you (except MILO) need three move actions to enter the tower. I assume that is the plan, if it is not, then I'll draw the map out. As stated before, closing the doors is a DC 10 strength check and a full-round action each.
teslas
 GM, 3490 posts
Tue 1 May 2012
at 16:59
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The party hoofs it back to the open doors of the northwestern tower, two more huge hawks only a moment away from raking their talons across your backs. They don't seem interested in landing and attempting to walk through the door, at least not at the moment. A few more hawks' screeches are heard, probably having landed on top of the tower the party is now inside.

Round 4-ish:
--: Party
22: Hawk
10: Hawks
 9: More Hawks


The doors open outward. You could peek out and time your attempts to close them with the birds being out of range well enough to not have to play that out if you wanted to close them. Closing the doors would end "the encounter".
ZEIG
 player, 1538 posts
 White Mage
Wed 2 May 2012
at 04:19
Re: 11:24am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig attempts to close the doors, flailing at it with his weak wrists.
00:18, Today: ZEIG rolled 4 using 1d20-1. STR check.
teslas
 GM, 3493 posts
Wed 2 May 2012
at 05:46
Re: 11:25am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Eventually, the doors are pulled shut. Darkness overtakes the party once again as ZEIG's staff resumes its duty as the only usable source of light.

It would take the three of you at least twenty minutes to lift the massive steel bar onto the back of the doors to lock them. The hawks, however, don't seem to be scratching at the door or landing outside. A screech can be heard every once in a while, but they always seem to come from hundreds of feet upward from the door.

Everyone gains 467 EXP from routing the initial giant predatory birds.
Everyone gains 50 EXP for enduring DM error.


Where to? Your options are to fuck with the trap door at the top of the tower, go back outside, or go back down to the rest of the keep.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:44, Thu 03 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1539 posts
 White Mage
Wed 2 May 2012
at 06:17
Re: 11:25am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"There was a trapdoor up in the bell tower, but I have the feeling that it just leads up to where those damn birds are. Maybe there was something to that throne room..."

I vote hit the switch in the throne room, then explore the rest of the keep systematically until we find something or get bored. This could take a very long time.
teslas
 GM, 3495 posts
Wed 2 May 2012
at 18:33
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
SILI and DAI agree well enough with ZEIG's plan, and the party makes its way back down the tower stairwell, past the chocobos stables, and into the large central hall of the keep, passing the statues of all of the drow and single human once again.

DAI's chocobo armor is still by the front door, and what little is in the keep does not look to have been disturbed since you last visited this room.
SILI
 player, 1619 posts
Wed 2 May 2012
at 18:39
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili will stand well back from the switch and watches the entrance.

I'd throw it myself to speed things up, but we need to wait for the other two anyway. I'm not directly in front of the throne, but to the side opposite of the entrance watching it.
ZEIG
 player, 1540 posts
 White Mage
Wed 2 May 2012
at 18:47
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig throws the switch, keeping his eyes and ears peeled for what might happen.
DAI
 player, 1875 posts
Wed 2 May 2012
at 21:33
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI has his wand of Lock ready just in case, and is looking around waiting for some kind of reaction.
teslas
 GM, 3498 posts
Wed 2 May 2012
at 22:00
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
SILI readies himself for giant rolling rocks, magical trap attacks, and swarms of poisonous mechanical wasps while keeping an eye on the door 20' away from the switch. DAI stands only 10' away, just off of the steps, and does much the same thing.

ZEIG takes a deep breath, and raises the lever under the throne upward.

DAI/SILI:

ZEIG:
teslas
 GM, 3499 posts
Wed 2 May 2012
at 22:01
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
We will be continuing with PMs if/until you guys meet back up.

DAI/SILI, please message both myself and the other person present.
ZEIG
 player, 1542 posts
 White Mage
Wed 2 May 2012
at 22:19
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
In the main thread via PMs or literally through PMs?

PM:
DAI
 player, 1876 posts
Wed 2 May 2012
at 22:37
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3501 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 01:43
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Yes, just like you have been doing.

ZEIG:

DAI/SILI:

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:50, Thu 03 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1543 posts
 White Mage
Thu 3 May 2012
at 01:58
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:
teslas
 GM, 3502 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 02:40
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:40, Thu 03 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1877 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 02:54
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
SILI
 player, 1621 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 03:12
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:


GM Edit-
Fixed PM targets, color.

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:05, Thu 03 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1544 posts
 White Mage
Thu 3 May 2012
at 03:27
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:

This message was last edited by the player at 03:30, Thu 03 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3503 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 09:13
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI/SILI:

ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:44, Thu 03 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1878 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 10:37
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
SILI
 player, 1622 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 13:05
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Private.

This message was last edited by the player at 13:07, Thu 03 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1545 posts
 White Mage
Thu 3 May 2012
at 15:00
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:
teslas
 GM, 3505 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 19:30
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI/SILI: ZEIG has just a tad more time to pass before you guys are lined up again, so we'll wait for him to post again.

SILI, please select the item you'd like to have Illuminate cast on it.


ZEIG:
ZEIG
 player, 1546 posts
 White Mage
Thu 3 May 2012
at 19:44
Re: 11:27am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:
teslas
 GM, 3506 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 21:18
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG:

DAI:

SILI:

Hell yeah. Total party split.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:22, Thu 03 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1879 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 21:43
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM

This message was last edited by the player at 22:01, Thu 03 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1547 posts
 White Mage
Thu 3 May 2012
at 21:57
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:

This message was last edited by the player at 21:59, Thu 03 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3507 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 21:58
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI:
teslas
 GM, 3508 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 22:06
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:08, Thu 03 May 2012.

SILI
 player, 1623 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 22:11
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
ZEIG
 player, 1548 posts
 White Mage
Thu 3 May 2012
at 22:16
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:
DAI
 player, 1882 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 22:40
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3509 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 23:07
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI:

SILI:

ZEIG:
ZEIG
 player, 1549 posts
 White Mage
Thu 3 May 2012
at 23:26
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:
SILI
 player, 1624 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 23:32
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3510 posts
Thu 3 May 2012
at 23:39
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG, you are paused until DAI posts a couple times.

SILI:
SILI
 player, 1625 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 00:19
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
DAI
 player, 1883 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 01:50
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3511 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 02:58
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI:

SILI:

ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:03, Fri 04 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1550 posts
 White Mage
Fri 4 May 2012
at 03:09
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:
DAI
 player, 1884 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 03:13
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
SILI
 player, 1626 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 03:16
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3512 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 03:55
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI:

SILI:

ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:47, Fri 04 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1885 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 05:00
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3513 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 05:26
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI:
ZEIG
 player, 1551 posts
 White Mage
Fri 4 May 2012
at 05:32
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:

GM Edit-
Forgot to PM it. Fixed.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:44, Fri 04 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1886 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 05:33
Re: 11:28am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3514 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 05:40
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI:

ZEIG:

This message was last updated by the GM at 05:40, Fri 04 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1887 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 05:48
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM

GM Edit-
Take it a little more seriously than that, please.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:02, Fri 04 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1553 posts
 White Mage
Fri 4 May 2012
at 06:40
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:
SILI
 player, 1627 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 13:04
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3517 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 20:02
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI:

SILI:

ZEIG:

DAI/ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:30, Fri 04 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3519 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 20:23
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
SILI:
SILI
 player, 1628 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 21:15
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
DAI
 player, 1888 posts
Fri 4 May 2012
at 21:16
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM

This message was last edited by the player at 23:29, Fri 04 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3521 posts
Sat 5 May 2012
at 23:46
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI:

SILI:

ZEIG:

DAI/ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:50, Sun 06 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1557 posts
 White Mage
Sun 6 May 2012
at 22:04
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:
teslas
 GM, 3524 posts
Mon 7 May 2012
at 09:42
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:43, Mon 07 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1558 posts
 White Mage
Mon 7 May 2012
at 15:53
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:
teslas
 GM, 3526 posts
Mon 7 May 2012
at 22:26
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
ZEIG:

DAI:

DAI/ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:30, Mon 07 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1889 posts
Mon 7 May 2012
at 23:27
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3529 posts
Mon 7 May 2012
at 23:42
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI:

ZEIG:

DAI/ZEIG:
ZEIG
 player, 1559 posts
 White Mage
Tue 8 May 2012
at 00:52
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:

GM Edit-
Added in check.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:02, Tue 08 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3530 posts
Tue 8 May 2012
at 01:08
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI:

ZEIG:

DAI/ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:11, Tue 08 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1890 posts
Tue 8 May 2012
at 01:35
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3531 posts
Tue 8 May 2012
at 04:11
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI:

ZEIG:

DAI/ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:14, Tue 08 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1564 posts
 White Mage
Tue 8 May 2012
at 05:12
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:
teslas
 GM, 3534 posts
Tue 8 May 2012
at 05:38
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI:

ZEIG:

SILI:

DAI/ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:13, Tue 08 May 2012.

SILI
 player, 1629 posts
Tue 8 May 2012
at 14:23
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
DAI
 player, 1893 posts
Tue 8 May 2012
at 14:31
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
ZEIG
 player, 1566 posts
 White Mage
Tue 8 May 2012
at 15:30
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:

GM Edit-
Edited in explicit Basuna attempt to cure a poison.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:47, Tue 08 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3540 posts
Tue 8 May 2012
at 23:16
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI/ZEIG:

SILI:

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:23, Tue 08 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1569 posts
 White Mage
Tue 8 May 2012
at 23:29
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:
teslas
 GM, 3546 posts
Wed 9 May 2012
at 02:31
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI/ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:22, Wed 09 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1573 posts
 White Mage
Wed 9 May 2012
at 02:55
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:

GM Edit-
Friendly reminder and edit.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:58, Wed 09 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3547 posts
Wed 9 May 2012
at 02:58
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI/ZEIG:
DAI
 player, 1894 posts
Wed 9 May 2012
at 06:32
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3548 posts
Wed 9 May 2012
at 07:57
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI/ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:59, Wed 09 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1575 posts
 White Mage
Wed 9 May 2012
at 16:49
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:
teslas
 GM, 3563 posts
Thu 10 May 2012
at 01:43
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI/ZEIG:

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:04, Thu 10 May 2012.

SILI
 player, 1632 posts
Thu 10 May 2012
at 02:06
Re: 11:30am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3564 posts
Thu 10 May 2012
at 02:23
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
SILI:
ZEIG
 player, 1576 posts
 White Mage
Thu 10 May 2012
at 03:04
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:
DAI
 player, 1898 posts
Thu 10 May 2012
at 03:07
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
ZEIG
 player, 1577 posts
 White Mage
Thu 10 May 2012
at 03:25
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM:
SILI
 player, 1639 posts
Thu 10 May 2012
at 18:19
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3578 posts
Fri 11 May 2012
at 04:58
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
SILI:
SILI
 player, 1640 posts
Fri 11 May 2012
at 12:56
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3579 posts
Fri 11 May 2012
at 14:46
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
SILI:
SILI
 player, 1641 posts
Fri 11 May 2012
at 16:35
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
PM
teslas
 GM, 3586 posts
Fri 11 May 2012
at 17:31
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
A little over a minute later, the drow man returns down the stairway. He stops for a moment and listens. The both of you can hear a set of footsteps shortly thereafter followed by the familiar half-clumsy gait of a dog flopping down from stair to stair.

As SILI comes within view, the man frowns more than he normally does after viewing his high cheek bones and pointed ears. The drow man waits both SILI and MILO are off of the stairs before he begins speaking, "So this is all of you?"

He breathes heavily, as if out of breath from his trip up and down the long staircase.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:36, Fri 11 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3587 posts
Fri 11 May 2012
at 17:32
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
SILI immediately notices a horrible, horrible reek coming from DAI, enough to make his nose burn at first. MILO sniffs the air for a moment, then paws at his face in discomfort. DAI's robes are damp and he's still actively using simple magic to dry and clean them, though the cleaning part appears to be having some difficulty.

DAI and ZEIG notice that SILI has a brand new hole in his pants near his groin with fresh blood stains running down his leg from it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:39, Fri 11 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1580 posts
 White Mage
Fri 11 May 2012
at 19:00
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Yes, this is all of us."

Zeig then turns to Sili and eyes his wound.

"You're hurt."

HP is reading max in party status but it was last updated on Wednesday. If he's actually hurt I'll offer him a cure potion.
SILI
 player, 1642 posts
Fri 11 May 2012
at 21:55
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili gives a quick grin. "I used a potion earlier, but I'll gladly take another if you have one."

Already used a potion, but another one still won't make me hit full HP.

Sili turns to Dai. "You smell like shit. You're making my dog uncomfortable, and he eats actual shit."

This message was last edited by the player at 21:57, Fri 11 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1901 posts
Fri 11 May 2012
at 22:46
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Yes well apparently they keep horrible monsters at the bottoms of pits that make you smell like unholy extraplanar shit. I happened to meet one, was not a fun experience."
teslas
 GM, 3592 posts
Sat 12 May 2012
at 01:47
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The drow man watches the three of you talk, expression unchanging. "Yes, he does smell. That will persist for another day or two. We... I... don't keep them there. They moved in under their own volition. It's dark and stagnant--perfect conditions. Moreover, occasionally they get food and labor dropped into their home. We get extra assurance that those that fall are much less likely to come back out."

"We'll talk here, for now." The man leans up against the wall, still looking a little winded. "You three came here from Cornelia, or at least two of you," he squints at SILI, "from across the sea?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:48, Sat 12 May 2012.

SILI
 player, 1643 posts
Sat 12 May 2012
at 04:53
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili shrugs. "I was born in Elfheim. Or at least, I grew up there. Now that I think about it, never really asked where I was born."
DAI
 player, 1903 posts
Sun 13 May 2012
at 04:19
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI pauses a moment, before tilting his head. "I was unaware there was a Cornelia on this continent...but yeah, we came on a boat." DAI's sarcasm was rather dry, but he had received little reason to like this man other then a similar taste in utterly destroying things...and even that had yet to be seen.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:28, Sun 13 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1581 posts
 White Mage
Sun 13 May 2012
at 17:32
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"I am surprised that you would recognize our accents. At any rate, yes, we are from Cornelia. As I stated previously, we are looking for Astos. Or perhaps you know how to cure the elven king? Who matters little, all that matters is that it gets done and we make our way to Melmond."
teslas
 GM, 3594 posts
Mon 14 May 2012
at 04:41
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The drow man looks the three of you over with a calculating squint on his gaunt face. After just past the point of uncomfortability he speaks, "I share two things with you: your desire to find Astos, and your lack of concern for the elven king. Good to know that he is still incapacitated. Our cousins, despite all their efforts, never were as gifted in their magic, so that does not surprise me. I will assume someone in Elfheim was desperate enough to bring you up to speed on the king, and sent you out here on some fool's errand to save him."

He cracks a smile, showing oddly white and straight teeth, though perhaps his dark skin makes them appear brighter than they otherwise might. It vanishes almost as soon as it appears, but is replaced by a straight-lipped gaze instead of the normal frown. "Maybe we can all help one another. I have little left for which to live save vengeance." His previous statement ends with a burning intensity.

"I am Vestus. Half-brother to Astos the betrayer. Let us talk where we can sit down?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:41, Thu 07 June 2012.

DAI
 player, 1904 posts
Mon 14 May 2012
at 04:49
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
After thinking on it for some time, DAI nods. Really so far this guy had been way more helpful then any elf had, even if he had tried taking ZEIG out at first. "Sure...'the enemy of my enemy is my friend', as they say."
ZEIG
 player, 1583 posts
 White Mage
Mon 14 May 2012
at 05:43
Re: 11:32am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Lead the way."

Long past the point of caring for internal politics between nations, Zeig is ready to be on with their quest. "Is it not enough to save the world without having to mediate between racial prejudices I could not possibly even perceive?", he thinks to himself. The only thing that matters is to find Lukan. Perhaps he can shed some light on their parents and hopefully the crisis involving the natural cycle.
teslas
 GM, 3597 posts
Mon 14 May 2012
at 09:20
Re: 11:34am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
He pushes off of the wall having his legs support his weight again, then walks down the hallway back toward the rooms in which ZEIG and DAI arrived.

The three of you pass a door on your left that is open which appears to be full of all sorts of junk. There is a light source inside that is out of view.

The next door is on your right, which the drow reaches down and opens with his hand. It did not appear to be locked, and opens inward with a low and sustained creak. He walks inside and says a single word in Undercommon. With that, four torches on the walls spark into white, not yellow, flames, and brighten a room with large central table lined by sturdy chairs. There are a set of shelves on one wall that are lined with scroll cases and stacks of tubes that would keep large pictures or maps or other illustrations.

He takes a seat at the head of the table opposite from the doorway and sits down gently, as if in pain. "Come in. Have a seat." He rubs his eyes a few times and blinks like your cantrips and these torches have produced the first light he's seen in months.

As you all make your way inside, be begins to talk before everyone has finished seating. "Firstly: this business of how to cure the elven king. Let us talk about why you would want to do such a thing. Perhaps we can reach an agreement where that will not be necessary, as that is likely a non-simple task."

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:23, Mon 14 May 2012.

SILI
 player, 1644 posts
Mon 14 May 2012
at 14:15
Re: 11:34am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili listens attentively. "... I admit, I have no particular love for the king, yet I am skeptical that there is a satisfactory alternative."
ZEIG
 player, 1585 posts
 White Mage
Mon 14 May 2012
at 14:42
Re: 11:34am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"We need access to Melmond and we are currently restricted to the inner sea. Our king believes that he has a way to get us there if we retrieve a key of sorts from the Elven king. He is the only one with the knowledge of it, so we must awaken him."

And this is the dog that worried the cat that killed the rat that ate the malt that lay in the house that Jack built.

GM edit-
I rarely ever edit someone's ingame post for such petty reasons, but their/there/they're god damn it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:27, Mon 14 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3598 posts
Mon 14 May 2012
at 16:54
Re: 11:34am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"So that is it, then. Yes, there was an agreement between your kingdom and theirs. Elfheim and Cornelia locked away something inside the Cornelian fortress only to be retrieved in time of war, or so the story goes. Curious your king should want it now, and not any time in the last twenty years to retake the Aldi if it is such a potent weapon."

The man blinks twice more, his old eyes finally looking to have adjusted to the sustained light.

"You do need to wake him then, unfortunate as that is. Secondly, you were told to find Astos and that he could lift his own spell? This is unlikely. Even if he could, he would be so full of spite and hatred that he would rather die--and I suspect that he is simply not capable of reversing his own spell in the first place."

"There is still a way, however. I believe I can reverse it, but that would require traveling to Elfheim with you under a false guise. I am willing to do this, should certain conditions be met--if you help me take final vengeance against my brother." His pale red eyes burn with timeless intensity again for a brief moment before subsiding, "I am a man of my word."

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:57, Mon 14 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3600 posts
Mon 14 May 2012
at 18:08
Re: 11:34am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"I will keep this as brief as is practical. The Drow have but a couple hundred years, perhaps much less, before they exist only in books anyway.

When our first mothers and fathers split from the surface elves, the elven crown prince took with him the emblem of the old elven goddess' favor of her people. Bringing it with them to their new home in the west, underground, the prince swore an oath to never return, and for long-lasting hatred and dismay against his former brethren. Our new goddess gave us her beautiful gifts at this time, making us into what we are now. So pleased our dark lady was, that she took the crown and 'perverted' it, that it could never again be worn by any elf which she had not blessed.

This crown is no insignificant thing, as on the head of a drow of royal descent it lengthens life, enhances all aspects of their being, and acts as a powerful magical foci. This is what I need to wake the king. This is where Astos enters the story as well.
"

This outward talk about a goddess and her direct relation with her people is by far the most "religious" you've ever seen someone be.

"Our mother, our previous queen, gave birth to a son, Lestrus. Detesting what she saw as bad luck, she murdered her mate and took another. Again, after giving birth to a son, myself, she repeated the attempt a third time, only to be disappointed by another son, Astos. Astos' father, no fool, attempted to poison my mother as she did so to him. The end of the plots, after a few more events, saw that they were both dead, leaving the throne contested between royal houses. Our eldest brother eventually became the king, assumed possession of the crown, and began his rule.

He was twenty years my senior and an accomplished mage, so I took to studying black magic myself, not to be outdone. Astos, despite his young age, also entered the craft, but was interested in closing the gap between his brothers' age advantage and sought the help of beings not from this plane.
"

The old man sighs with what sounds like an odd mixture of regret and relief, perhaps for taking a break for a moment in speaking.

"And he found them.

The three of us began to vie for power, myself leading a great many to the north, to here, while Astos fled even further underground with a small cult. Over the next twenty years, war tore our people asunder, Astos had transformed into a form mirroring his power, and all three sought allies to bring down one another. I had with me the sahuagin to invade the lakes and rivers of the depths and giant mercenaries to do what giants do best. Lestrus resorted to throngs of undead minions. Astos, however, found an altogether new type of creature somewhere in the bowels of the underdark.

Astos raided our brother's stronghold and nearly took the crown for himself, only to be tricked by his allies who expelled him. As a last dying curse, Lestrus transformed Astos into a hideous creature. Astos' former allies came here, turned a great many of us to stone as you may have noticed, then departed, taking the rest as slaves.

They found some way to use the crown. How I know not. I cannot reverse their magics because of it. I withdrew here, into the basement, to wait them out. For a time they kept guard here, watching for me to make my leave. I thought they would still be waiting to this day, but you made it through instead.
"

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:53, Wed 12 Sept 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3601 posts
Mon 14 May 2012
at 18:21
Re: 11:34am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"They still have the crown. Astos still lives. Before our people fade into history, I ask that you retrieve it for me so that I may slay my brother and bring back the few here that I can. Perhaps we will attempt to travel to the north and begin anew. Perhaps we will simply try once more to retake our home under the earth. That is to consider if the situation comes to pass. There is no reason sit idly here an dream of it now.

I suspect, or rather, I am sure, the new holders have mastered its use somehow. For myself or any other drow to attempt to retrieve it they would quickly be aware of my location and intent, and would easily be able to stop me. You three, though, you are not bound by the crown's power. You have no drow blood in your veins.

Astos can sense the presence of it just as I can, and will want it. You must be very careful that my brother does not obtain it. It would lift his curse. You would all quickly perish, I assure you.
"

All of this talk looks to have tired the man out noticeably. He is now breathing slowly and heavily.

"In their arrogance," the man slams his fist down onto the wooden table with very surprising force, startling all of you, especially MILO, "they keep the crown where it has always been--in our city to the south. Getting there should not be difficult--no more than it was to travel here from Elfheim."

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:42, Mon 14 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1586 posts
 White Mage
Mon 14 May 2012
at 18:37
Re: 11:34am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
14:37, Today: ZEIG rolled 24 using 1d20+4. sense motive.

Zeig's hand rises to massage his temples around his nose, his eyes closed and brow furrowed.

"You will reverse the magic on the elven king if we do this. What can you tell us about your old city to the south? What manner of defenses, living or not, should we look to expect inside?"

GM Edit Skill Check Result-

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:53, Mon 14 May 2012.

SILI
 player, 1645 posts
Mon 14 May 2012
at 19:22
Re: 11:34am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili leans on his hand, looking at the old drow. "I don't believe you've given us a reason not to save the king. To be blunt, the only reason I care one way or another is fame." He pauses for a moment, brow furrowed. "This may be rude, but may I ask why you are so wrinkled? Humans tend to do so in extreme age, but elves of all kind should remain flawless from birth to death."

15:23, Today: SILI rolled 27 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 20. Sense Motive.

Two nat 20's. This old elf can't lie to us! If only the dice loved us this much in combat.

GM Edit-
Color Nazi'd

GM Edit Skill Check Result-

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:18, Mon 14 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1906 posts
Mon 14 May 2012
at 22:36
Re: 11:34am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Speak for yourself, my combat rolls are consistently awesome with little specks of shit from time to time.

DAI listened, such a long explanation surely had to do a number on the aging elf- which hadn't really come off as odd to him until SILI mentioned it, though being half-blood that was likely a natural thing to him. "I don't really care who we help, as long as we get the key in the end...so yes, let's get this crown, kill some creature, and dash back to Elfheim before Astos shows up."
teslas
 GM, 3603 posts
Mon 14 May 2012
at 23:32
Re: 11:34am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
He turns to SILI, quickly explaining the situation. "A curse of some kind. I do not know of what means, but the origin was a plot by my brother. It will be easily lifted if you recover the crown. Not to worry, there are many years in this body yet. Do not take that as an excuse to tarry."

Then to ZEIG, paying his question much more attention. "There were guardians at the main entrances to the old city. They were meant to keep out any who are not drow, though they may not be there any longer without people to feed and persuade them. Think something akin to forest spiders, but intelligent and spiteful.

Once you are in the deeps, there are common dangers associated with the location, as in all places of the world. Carrion crawlers come to mind first. There may be remnants of Lestrus' undead army or the wandering souls of the citizens unable to leave this world.

I will say this: Go no deeper than you must. Do not delay if you recover the crown.

Have you a map? I can show you exactly where the entrances would be and point to the shortest path through the swamps to get there.
"

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:12, Tue 15 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1587 posts
 White Mage
Tue 15 May 2012
at 03:45
Re: 11:34am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Yes, I believe we do have a map. Please show us the way."

We have a map in the map thread. Seriously, 90% of the time I don't remember the characterization I started with for ZEIG, let alone items from a billion months ago. This is mostly due to the 6 months in the army, but I constantly find myself digging up threads from as far back as chapter 2 to reference. I think we have a map?
teslas
 GM, 3604 posts
Tue 15 May 2012
at 10:22
Re: 11:59am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
He points out several places along the western edge of the continent. He points at a large mark that's already on your map, calling it the main entrance to the city. He also points at some secondary entrances, one a day's travel closer, and one a day's travel further.

All in all, the travel time will be about 10 days to get to the swamp (30'). He doesn't know if any of the old roads or paths will still be intact once you arrive, as it took the constant work by slaves to keep the swamp routes above the muck and mud. It could take as long as 6 days (30' reduced to 15') to reach the main entrance from the edge of the swamp.

You're looking at a 16-day trip, worst case scenario, assuming you travel straight there.

"There are only three of you, and none of you look overly capable of the manual labor it may take to get there and descend down. I can not wake my drow brothers and sisters from their granite slumber... but a human... they are not bound by the crown's power." He removes a small but over-sized golden needle from his robes and sets it on top of the map. "There is a sturdy human slave upstairs that I could give you. No time has passed for him. His will should be as broken as it was decades ago."

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:33, Tue 15 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1588 posts
 White Mage
Tue 15 May 2012
at 20:48
Re: 11:59am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"...we will have need of him.

Zeig takes on a somber look and fights down a mixture of disgust and rage, keeping a cold fire burning inside.
teslas
 GM, 3606 posts
Tue 15 May 2012
at 21:03
Re: 11:59am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Excellent. I have some parting gifts for you, then, which may help. Remain here."

The drow stands up with a grimace and a hand on his lower back. He hobbles for the first few steps then picks up a stride and exits the room.

You see him leave the room and can hear him travel some distance down the hallway. Now is your chance to say anything to one another in what may be privacy. Going to pause for a short while.
ZEIG
 player, 1589 posts
 White Mage
Tue 15 May 2012
at 21:13
Re: 11:59am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"He's hiding something. Most of that seemed plausible, but, there's something he's not telling us. Hopefully the man he is talking about will help us, but at least we can get him out of his servitude if nothing else. Human slaves."

Zeig spits on the floor.
SILI
 player, 1646 posts
Tue 15 May 2012
at 22:35
Re: 11:59am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili doesn't seem nearly as angry as Zeig. "I don't disagree. How much of what he said should we accept? And what of your original mission in coming here?"
DAI
 player, 1907 posts
Wed 16 May 2012
at 07:18
Re: 11:59am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI seems all together indifferent on the matters at hand, wanting to only get them over with. "Even if he is hiding something...we don't have a lot of choice here, his aid is necessary, including that of this human he speaks of. If we had the power necessary to just get what we wanted I'm sure we would have...and JACK would still be here." DAI frowns a bit at his own words, he wanted to get strong enough to recover JACK's body and gem as soon as possible, and that meant doing what needed to be done.
teslas
 GM, 3607 posts
Wed 16 May 2012
at 11:49
Re: 11:59am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The group of you hears the awful sound of metal being drug along stone. It starts out fairly loud and sounds close, but grows louder, and louder, and even louder as it approaches the door slowly. The back of the man appears in the doorway, then he stands up, and almost falls backward, catching himself on the door frame. He mutters something in Undercommon and gives a few gasps.
06:39, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 22 using 1d20+4. Listen.

"Come out here and open the thing."

Outside in the hallway is a large wooden chest with metal framing. He gives you a sloppy hand gesture to go on and open it once more. If it were going to explode or anything of the sort he'd be well within range, though perhaps too tired to care by the looks of him.

Opening it, you see a couple of scroll cases at the bottom, a sturdy-looking old quarterstaff wedged into the chest catty-corner, and some things wrapped in drow linen.

Still breathing heavily, "Those are the only things in the keep that weren't enchanted by my people, in case they can sense drow magic."
teslas
 GM, 3608 posts
Wed 16 May 2012
at 12:31
Re: 11:59am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The first person to reach in to the chest finds that the staff is wedged in extremely tightly. When they grip it to try and yank it out, they find themselves much stronger than they otherwise might be. Letting go of the staff it's easy to determine the staff is the source. It seems to take a few seconds for the magic to take effect after gripping it, however.

The drow man speaks up. "I have no idea where that staff came from. It is not of any elven make, drow or otherwise. I used it for years and years... and had almost forgotten about it until just now." There is the slightest bit of nostalgia in the otherwise bitter and disdainful man's voice for a brief moment.

Power Staff.

This masterwork quarterstaff has the peculiar property of enhancing the wielder's strength. It is magical in its own right, but is not a magical weapon.

Grants a +2 Enhancement bonus to your Strength ability score.
Grants a +2 Enhancement bonus to Strength-based checks. (IE: Bull-rush defense, breaking down doors, etc. Basically anything that does not include BAB.)


You can get slightly more information if you Identify it, but you can gather the above information from Vestus' description and picking it up and using it.


One of the scroll cases contains two pieces of exquisitely penned sheet music, and the other has a rolled up scroll with a red ribbon around it.

Mazurka
Carol
Phalanx


An elegant wooden box emerges from one of the linen wraps. ZEIG almost immediately recognizes it as the type of box in which Cornelian clinics kept phoenix down. He does not want to think how it came to be in possession of the keep's storeroom. Inside you find five places for feathers, though all but one are empty. The other box has several labeled potions inside that also seem to have originally come from a human clinic.

Phoenix Down
Potion of Restore
Potion of Restore II
Echo Drops
Eye Drops
Eye Drops
Barrier (CL 7)


ZEIG recognizes the color and smell of the Restore potion immediately, and the rest seem to be legitimate, though it'd take actual effort to be sure.


The box that held the phoenix down is quite heavy and ornate, and might fetch a fair price in of itself, you know, if you wanted to truck it around with you. It weighs 10 pounds. Phoenix down itself is consumable and therefore weightless, as are the potions.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:50, Wed 16 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1908 posts
Wed 16 May 2012
at 12:40
Re: 11:59am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI looks over everything here, he had recently gotten a new spell so he was not disappointed by only music and a red ribbon. The potions would no doubt come in handy, this left the staff. ZEIG had a staff and a warhammer, SILI had a weapon...maybe, and MILO is a dog, so DAI takes the staff for now- not that he was going to start wading into combat because of a minor physical boost, he was still a Mage.
ZEIG
 player, 1590 posts
 White Mage
Wed 16 May 2012
at 19:01
Re: 11:59am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig will carry the map and soft (gold needle?). He will also carry the restore, restore II, and one potion of eye drops, and the barrier potion.

I can cast Life, someone else should probably hold onto the phoenix down. I already have a thing of echo drops, so someone else should probably take those too. I don't need both eye drops, and barrier should probably be thrown at the fighter or black belt when we get them (probably the other eye drops too, honestly).

I'll carry phalanx if no one else wants to do so, it is just money to our party.

ZEIG
 player, 1591 posts
 White Mage
Wed 16 May 2012
at 19:27
Re: 11:59am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"This will indeed help retrieve the crown. Now if you would show us to the one you think may assist us?"
SILI
 player, 1649 posts
Wed 16 May 2012
at 20:31
Re: 11:59am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"I'll hold onto that music, thank you." Sili will take both sheets of music, and read Carol.
teslas
 GM, 3614 posts
Wed 16 May 2012
at 20:34
Re: 12:10am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"You surely passed him on the way in. I would rather not leave this particular part of the keep for assorted reasons. Come with me and remove your staff from the floor before you go."

He walks back to the open door , reaches into his pocket, takes out a key and, for lack of a better explanation, opens it again. The light source from inside is not shining. There is a large pile of wooden furniture and boxes blocking almost half of the doorway.

"Everyone else stay outside. White mage, go retrieve your staff. I would suggest not touching much else." He turns to DAI and SILI, "Strong-looking human statue in the main hall. Should be near the center of the room. Be careful not to tip him over before pricking him with the needle. I will walk you up to the stairs."

Assuming ZEIG gets his staff and doesn't touch anything or otherwise make the situation more complex, he'll walk you back up the flight of stairs you've already seen, and then to a second, that only SILI has seen.

"Feel free to return here, though I have done for you everything that I can until the crown is retrieved. One last bit of advice: If you, somehow, manage to find any more of my people, you would do well to not trust them.

Wait here for a few minutes, and then proceed up the stairs. Make undo haste at your own peril.
"

Going to pause here for a short while. Feel free to talk and do whatever.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:38, Wed 16 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1909 posts
Wed 16 May 2012
at 21:58
Re: 12:10am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI will take the staff, Eye Drops(both for now), Echo Drops, and Phoenix Down.
teslas
 GM, 3616 posts
Thu 17 May 2012
at 09:57
Re: 12:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
After a couple of minutes you hear two *clink*s coming from either side of the walls running up the staircase. A second later, two more, then three or four more a little further along, and then more. This lasts for almost 30 seconds before it stops up above at the top of the way. SILI simply watches for DAI and ZEIG to go first.

Traveling up the staircase brings you up through the floor just behind the throne in the keep's large central hall. Everything seems to be exactly as you last saw it. The drow and human in tattered clothes are still standing in the middle of way back toward the front door.

As ZEIG pulls out the gold needle, wondering how best to go at this, stone on stone grinding resounds through the air as the floor retakes the top of the secret stair, concealing it again.

Update:

Illuminate on DAI's hat expires at 12:37
Illuminate on SILI's ring expires at 12:37
Illuminate on ZEIG's robes expires at 12:38
Protect on DAI, SILI, ZEIG, and MILO expires at 12:53.

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:03, Thu 17 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1593 posts
 White Mage
Thu 17 May 2012
at 15:10
Re: 12:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig picked up his staff as they left.

Zeig uses the gold needle on the human if he knows how, if not then he tries to figure it out.
11:09, Today: ZEIG rolled 27 using 1d20+12. craft (alchemy).
teslas
 GM, 3620 posts
Thu 17 May 2012
at 15:38
Re: 12:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The needle pierces the stone as if it were flesh, then disappears. In under a second, the statue standing before you is a man dressed in tattered cloth.
JAGA
 player, 16 posts
Thu 17 May 2012
at 17:38
Re: 12:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Standing up straight, he turned in place, looking around the room which was filled with drow just a few seconds ago. He stopped turning when he laid eyes upon possibly the strangest thing he'd seen in quite a while.

Two frail looking humans, a half-elf, and what appeared to be a dog...wearing chainmail.

"What?"

GM Edit-
COLOR NAZI'd

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:21, Thu 17 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1594 posts
 White Mage
Thu 17 May 2012
at 20:30
Re: 12:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Easy, friend. We just woke you up from a long sleep. You might want to get your bearings, what is your name?"

Zeig rests his arm on the man's shoulder and looks him in the eye from a casual distance. If that's confusing I'm saying that I'm not staring into his eyes or about to make out with him, not that close.
SILI
 player, 1650 posts
Fri 18 May 2012
at 04:49
Re: 12:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Looking around at the statues, Sili harrumphs. "Let's go, I want to get out of this place." He beckons for the others to follow, leading the way back outside.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:32, Fri 18 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1910 posts
Fri 18 May 2012
at 05:14
Re: 12:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI nods, before adding. "We can fill him in on the way."
teslas
 GM, 3623 posts
Fri 18 May 2012
at 12:16
Re: 12:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
There's no graffiti up here.

DAI and SILI leave the still-confused man along with ZEIG standing in the central hall. The two huge front doors of the keep remain mostly closed with one standing ajar. DAI's chocobo barding is sitting where he left it just inside the door.

A familiar shrill shriek from the outside sky above the door finds its way to your ears.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:23, Fri 18 May 2012.

SILI
 player, 1651 posts
Fri 18 May 2012
at 18:15
Re: 12:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Those birds again. Any way we can snipe them from hiding? I don't like the idea of getting carried off."
DAI
 player, 1911 posts
Fri 18 May 2012
at 18:59
Re: 12:15am Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Hmm...that one room with the trapdoor, did it have a window? Arrow slot?" The question was aimed at ZEIG.
ZEIG
 player, 1595 posts
 White Mage
Fri 18 May 2012
at 19:03
Re: 12:15pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"No, there was just the trap door. It didn't look like it would be big enough for a giant hawk to fit through comfortably though, though it would be cramped to try to fight anything up there. Perhaps if we lured them inside the keep, get them into one of the smaller hallways?"
DAI
 player, 1912 posts
Fri 18 May 2012
at 19:06
Re: 12:15pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI rubbed his chin. "Hmm...I could always try putting them to sleep when they fly in close, if I fail they'd likely be a nuisance though- whereas I already roasted one that had otherwise taken minimal wounds." He nods after a moment. "Alright, let's open a set of doors and let them come to us."
JAGA
 player, 19 posts
Fri 18 May 2012
at 20:48
Re: 12:15pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Wait wait wait...what is going on here. One minute I'm about to fight to the death and now...this?" Jaga looks completely bewildered by the developing situation.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:51, Fri 18 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1913 posts
Fri 18 May 2012
at 20:54
Re: 12:15pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI shakes his head. "Oh don't worry, still death fighting...just against giant eagles, and maybe a ghost on the way out of town." He then makes his way toward the nearest door that led to the courtyard, motioning for JAGA to follow.
teslas
 GM, 3625 posts
Sat 19 May 2012
at 02:04
Re: 12:15pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The nearest door to the courtyard you've taken is upstairs along the tops of the walls where you were before.

It would stand to reason there's a door on the floor you're currently on down the northern hallway that you've not yet been down. This would lead to the courtyard directly, and you wouldn't have to climb down the tree.

The front doors are open enough for them to squeeze inside, but the DC 0 Knowledge (nature) check will tell you they're not going to land and then squeeze inside a door into a confined space. They're flying animals. If they can't fly around in a place, they probably wont go there without a damn good reason.

DAI
 player, 1914 posts
Sat 19 May 2012
at 02:05
Re: 12:15pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Then we open the door and dangle a piece of high HP outside, sniping at them as they come in...or letting JAGA get picked up so he can have a punch out with a giant eagle.
DAI
 player, 1915 posts
Sat 19 May 2012
at 03:10
Re: 12:15pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI goes to the door teslas said would logically that would lead into the courtyard, then looks to JAGA, the now toughest one of the group. "Would you be so kind as to open that door...?" he then realized he did not know the man's name, deciding to leave that for after the barbecue, he looks to ZEIG. "Wanna make sure we're all beefed up for combat?"

GM Edit-
Keep it classy, asshole.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:37, Sat 19 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1596 posts
 White Mage
Sat 19 May 2012
at 04:36
Re: 12:15pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"You don't have to fight until death, right now at least. The only drow left in the keep said that you were once a slave. Well, you're free of them if you help us do one last mission. You will never again be subjugated by the drow. What do you say about some cave exploring and returning to Cornelia with heads held high?"

Zeig tells Dai that they're protection should last for this fight, at least. "I've used a lot of magic in here, I really need to hold off on as much more as possible."

Protectra will last another 40 minutes for the three of us, and I don't have the single target spell. It is 6 MP to recast it and I'm pretty close to half MP as is.
JAGA
 player, 21 posts
Sat 19 May 2012
at 18:18
Re: 12:15pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sighing "Fine, but after we escape from here I need to get home. I've been here for 6 months and people would be worried about me."

Walking up to the door, he places his hand on the handle. "I'll open it on your signal."

SILI
 player, 1652 posts
Sat 19 May 2012
at 22:56
Re: 12:15pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Signal." Sili says. He takes out his crossbow, pointedly ignoring the 6 months statement.
teslas
 GM, 3629 posts
Sun 20 May 2012
at 14:44
Re: 12:15pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The party makes its way north up the hallway toward the stairs then hangs a right to go down the hall they had not yet explored. There are rooms all along the northern wall that are mostly empty. These seem to have been more barracks space that wasn't being utilized even at the time the keep was last occupied. JAGA opens the door as instructed and daylight pours into the wide hall. After a few tense moments the screech of a hawk high overhead is the only thing that breaks the silen e.
ZEIG
 player, 1597 posts
 White Mage
Mon 21 May 2012
at 17:15
Re: 12:15pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Proposition:

1. Step out. See what happens after 30 seconds to a minute.

2. Venture out farther, maybe 50' or so. See what happens.

3. If at any point the hawks begin to swoop, duck back into the doorway and have any ranged attacks ready to go from the others.

4. If they don't swoop after someone is out 50' or so away from it then there's a good chance they haven't spotted us or aren't interested and we'll just leave. If we are attacked by them after venturing more than 50' out then there isn't much we can do to avoid it.

DAI
 player, 1916 posts
Mon 21 May 2012
at 19:36
Re: 12:15pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Proposition 2:

DAI summons another yellow chocobo in the doorway, before looking at the thing. "Alright...I think I'll call you, bait." He smiled a bit at the thought, would seem cruel to most but he was pretty sure this beast hadn't existed prior to the spell.

OOC: Now we just have our ranged attacks ready.
SILI
 player, 1653 posts
Mon 21 May 2012
at 22:21
Re: 12:15pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Alright chocobo, move it!" Sili takes 20 (total 30) to "push" the chocobo into going outside. This takes a while, if anyone wants to do anything in the meanwhile.
teslas
 GM, 3633 posts
Wed 23 May 2012
at 02:40
Re: 12:35pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
After a few moments of pecking about nervously, the chocobo calms down and starts to scratch at the ground in an attempt to find grubs. Every once in a while a hawk's shadow races across the courtyard floor, though they never descend far or come within easily viewable distance.

There's a few places of the keep you've not gone to. I'm assuming that you want to leave through the front doors you took to get in? Need someone besides ZEIG to confirm leaving, and we'll move right on along.

Your light sources are going to be going out here pretty quickly.

Illuminate on DAI's hat expires at 12:37
Illuminate on SILI's ring expires at 12:37
Illuminate on ZEIG's robes expires at 12:38
Protect on DAI, SILI, ZEIG, and MILO expires at 12:53

DAI
 player, 1917 posts
Wed 23 May 2012
at 09:49
Re: 12:35pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI decides they should head out now, leaving this Chocobo as it was for the time being...since they were going to have to do the mostly collapsed staircase on foot again.
teslas
 GM, 3634 posts
Wed 23 May 2012
at 14:46
Re: 12:40pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Remember you have 50lbs of (chain shirt) chocobo barding sitting near the front door you're about to walk out of, DAI, and that's only one set of it. It'll probably still be there if/when you come back for it.

The party walks back downstairs and hangs a right, giving the interior of the keep one last look before stepping out into the sunlight. Not long after, DAI and SILI's possessions stop glowing, followed by a large section of ZEIG's robes a minute later.

Normally, I would roll some Hide checks for you, but they're friggen' hawks, it's broad daylight, and there are five of you, two of which aren't good at sneaking (and ZEIG is awful), and SILI didn't teach the dog how to sneak so there'd be some handle animal shenanigans for a bit as well. Going to save myself time and assume that over the several, several rounds it takes to get to a spot to where you're out of sight, they'll see you most likely. To simplify:
09:31, Today: teslas rolled 87 using 1d100. 50% chance to notice party 1/6.

As everyone is a little over 30' from the door, a screech lets out. Looking up, two of the hawks are circling high above you, steadily losing altitude with their heads turned down at you. The party continues to move down the small path at the base of the keep's walls. By the time you make round the southwest corner of the keep, four individual hawks were circling above you and lowering themselves steadily.

It isn't long before you make it to the edge of the cliff. The place where the stairwell begins is essentially invisible and appears as a sheer drop off just like everywhere else unless looking over the edge directly down upon it. The circling of the hawks occasionally takes them out of sight behind the keep, but their graceful and predictable motions make them easy to count. Five are now above you.

Where you are now has raised sides that are about 5' tall on either side of you that gradually raise higher. Behind you as you look south the wall of the keep is within poking distance (if you had a 30' long stick). It would be very difficult for the hawks to attempt to swoop down through here at you, and it appears as if they know it, staying about 200' above you in the sky, watching you.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:49, Wed 23 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1600 posts
 White Mage
Wed 23 May 2012
at 15:56
Re: 12:40pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"I wonder how fast those things can dive. We're sitting ducks out on those stairs, but if we jump off...well, I could Float us to the ground."

Zeig then looks over at their new companion. "There was an illusion guarding a hole in the stairs before, a friend fell through and we floated to safety in this manner. We would have to take extra time to check all of the steps as we went down otherwise, and I don't much like the idea of getting picked off while we do that. Any thoughts?"
SILI
 player, 1655 posts
Wed 23 May 2012
at 18:03
Re: 12:40pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"It's not like I like the idea of falling off the steps - again - but I can't fault your logic. Can you handle all 5 of us?" Sili gestures at Milo.
ZEIG
 player, 1602 posts
 White Mage
Thu 24 May 2012
at 04:32
Re: 12:40pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"I can. I'm not sure exactly how high we are, but one spell was enough to get us to the ground halfway up. It might take two castings; luckily I'm quick witted."

Zeig laughs obnoxiously to himself.

300' per casting. Even if we are 2100' up, which I doubt, I could get us to the ground. 60' speed of falling per round.
JAGA
 player, 22 posts
Thu 24 May 2012
at 04:38
Re: 12:40pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Ok, I'm having a hard time following what's going on here. Wouldn't it just be easier to kill the birds and go down the steps then worry about magic?"
ZEIG
 player, 1603 posts
 White Mage
Thu 24 May 2012
at 04:42
Re: 12:40pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Potentially...but we're on the edge of a cliff. They are huge and can easily pick any one of us up with a claw. You ever see a giant hawk pick up a turtle, fly up real high and drop it, then swoop down to eat all of the flesh spilling out of the broken shell? Cause I haven't, but I read about it once, and I don't want to end up like that."

"They can't get to us here, but on that massive stairwell we'll be easy pickings and in a very dangerous spot. I would much rather save my rapidly depleting magic for other endeavors. If you can think of a way to attack them without being exposed on the staircase then I'd love to do just that."

JAGA
 player, 23 posts
Thu 24 May 2012
at 04:49
Re: 12:40pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Well....what sort of magic can you cast? Or is now not the time to get into this?"
ZEIG
 player, 1605 posts
 White Mage
Thu 24 May 2012
at 04:53
Re: 12:40pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"I am a healer and defender. My spells bolster the group and close wounds. This particular spell would allow us to jump off the cliff and reach the bottom unharmed by the fall. My companion, DAI, is more skilled at blowing things up and manipulating the enemy, and Sili has many extraordinary abilities powered by his music that I have begun to see."
JAGA
 player, 24 posts
Thu 24 May 2012
at 05:00
Re: 12:40pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Then have you looked through the apparently abandoned keep?" Jaga asked,"Maybe there is something in there that we can use?"
ZEIG
 player, 1606 posts
 White Mage
Thu 24 May 2012
at 05:05
Re: 12:40pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"We looked around quite a bit, although we did not search every nook and cranny. The keeper of the keep, Vestus, armed us with some equipment. I suppose he would have aided us more if he was able. Barring that, aren't you from the keep? I heard him refer to you as a slave. We, of course, wouldn't let him keep you and you will be free to go should you choose. First we have to get off of this cliff though."

Zeig appears a bit confused by the man, but shakes his head.

"Perhaps you'd better give us your story once we settle into camp for the night. For now, let's keep our wits about us and stay out of harm's way."
JAGA
 player, 25 posts
Thu 24 May 2012
at 05:11
Re: 12:40pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Fine then." Jaga said, "You get us down, and I'll help stop anything that attacks us while you do what ever it is you do."
ZEIG
 player, 1609 posts
 White Mage
Thu 24 May 2012
at 15:45
Re: 12:40pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig instructs the rest of the party to gather around him closely and jump. As they jump off together he casts Float on the party.
MP:31/67

Will cast again mid-fall as discussed, not going to assume anything though.MP:26/67
teslas
 GM, 3644 posts
Sat 26 May 2012
at 07:12
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Everyone stands on the edge of the cliff looking at ZEIG. SILI awkwardly picks up MILO, who squirms a good bit in confusion. After confirming that you all jump on three several times, you're off. ZEIG's spell activates just as your stomachs almost jump out of your mouths.

This was essentially the first round of actions.

The party drops 60' after they jump off. Shortly thereafter several shrill shrieks are heard above, and some of the hawks have already broken their wide circles and are beginning to plummet toward you.

Not going to be easy to draw this, so we'll have to use our imaginations for now. The hawks begin the encounter 200' above you, and you've already dropped 60', so they're now 260' away at the start of round 2 (with some variance due to differences in distance on the X or Y axis).

From what you saw before, the hawks are very capable of covering a bit over 100' in a controlled descent. JAGA, you're not aware of this.

You are all 5' away from the rock wall in a line. From left to right, looking toward the wall:

DAI, SILI/MILO, ZEIG, JAGA


A fifth hawk circles back around from over the keep while another that heard the screeches maneuvers over to above the cliff face and tucks in its wings, ready to begin rapid descent.

Round 2:
20: 3     - 260' above you
20: 5     - 275' above you (300'+ away)
20: DAI
11: 1     - 260' above you
11: 2     - 230' above you
11: 4     - 255' above you
 7: MILO  - "grappled" by SILI
 6: SILI  - "grappling" MILO
 4: JAGA
 4: ZEIG
 0: Fall


The party is 490' from the bottom. Float wears off at the beginning of Round 5.

With Float you fall 60' as a non-action on initiative count 0. If you lose Float, you fall 150' in the first round, and 300' every round after that.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:45, Sat 26 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1922 posts
Sat 26 May 2012
at 07:18
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI delays until after ZEIG
teslas
 GM, 3645 posts
Sat 26 May 2012
at 07:26
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Three hawks that were already overhead dive down at you at full speed.

MILO attempts to squirm out of SILI's grasp.

Round 2:
20: 3     - 260' above you
20: 5     - 275' above you (300'+ away)
11: 1     - 140' above you
11: 2     - 110' above you
11: 4     - 135' above you
 7: MILO  - "grappled" by SILI
 6: SILI  - "grappling" MILO
 4: JAGA
 4: ZEIG
 4: DAI
 0: Fall


The party is 490' from the bottom. Float wears off at the beginning of Round 5.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:45, Sat 26 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1930 posts
Sat 26 May 2012
at 10:54
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Choosing to take DAI's action after the birds, and before SILI/MILO

DAI rolls up his sleeves and aims a gout of flames at one of the 3 hawks that were closing in, he hopes for a nice reaction like last time, but this is still a new spell to him, which didn't seem to lower it's lethality one bit.

03:54, Today: DAI rolled 18,61,4 using d20+6,5d12+15,1d4. Fire II(RTA) vs Hawk 1. Ref18 dazzled.
If it's alive, gotta save against dazzled(double penalties) for 4 rounds

03:55, Today: DAI rolled 3,1 using d20,d4. 12-14 conserve MP.
MP 46/68

This message was last edited by the player at 10:56, Sat 26 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3652 posts
Sat 26 May 2012
at 18:00
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Please don't be fancy. Roll everything mostly separately and clearly labeled--especially the attack roll. (Conserve MP is fine to do that way.)

DAI looks up at the closest one and lets loose his spell. The feathers on the massive bird combust as eagerly as if they were made of wax paper. It goes limp and a giant trail of smoke forms in its wake as it continues to fall toward you, now extremely quickly. You're not sure if it's dead or merely unconscious, though it won't be difficult to guess after it "lands".

After a second, you realize that its trajectory is leading right to the party. It's spiraling very gently as it falls. 50% chance it collides with one of you at random. Reflex DC 20 to avoid.

Round 2:
20: 3     - 260' above you
20: 5     - 275' above you (300'+ away)
11: 1     - 100' above you
11: 2     - dead (or will be very soon), 70' above you
11: 4     - 95' above you
 7: DAI
 7: MILO  - "grappled" by SILI
 6: SILI  - "grappling" MILO
 4: JAGA
 4: ZEIG
 0: Fall


The party is 490' from the bottom. Float wears off at the beginning of Round 5.

Hawks 1, 2, and 4 descended 160' toward you in a controlled dive.
Hawks 3 and 5 have not yet begun to dive, but are in position to do so.
The party is moving downward at 60'.
Hawk #2 will fall 300' as you all fall (it was already traveling downward rapidly so it skips the round of traveling 150')

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:18, Sun 27 May 2012.

SILI
 player, 1656 posts
Sat 26 May 2012
at 22:08
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili tries to keep ahold of Milo. If he fails, he tries to grab him again. No other action besides freefalling.

18:04, Yesterday: SILI rolled 15 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 13. Grapple check.

This message was last edited by the player at 14:02, Sun 27 May 2012.

JAGA
 player, 29 posts
Sat 26 May 2012
at 23:59
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Jaga tries to turn his body to face the oncoming hawks.

Readying an action to hit an attacking hawk

This message was last edited by the player at 03:10, Sun 27 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3658 posts
Sun 27 May 2012
at 06:13
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
MILO wriggles out of SILI's grasp but does not escape.
01:11, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 14 using 1d20+6. MILO escape SILI.

Round 2:
20: 3     - 260' above you
20: 5     - 275' above you (300'+ away)
11: 1     - 100' above you
11: 2     - dead (or will be very soon), 70' above you
11: 4     - 95' above you
 7: DAI
 7: MILO
 6: SILI
 4: JAGA  - Readied Action
 4: ZEIG
 0: Fall


The party is 490' from the bottom. Float wears off at the beginning of Round 5.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:28, Sun 27 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1616 posts
 White Mage
Sun 27 May 2012
at 22:00
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig doesn't want to chance dismissing the spell and the party drifting apart, so he instead casts Fear on the closest hawk (#4).
Lightsday. Frightened for 5 rounds, will save DC 16, shaken for 1 round if they pass.
MP: 30/67
teslas
 GM, 3662 posts
Mon 28 May 2012
at 09:31
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Fear is one of the fun ones in that it can vary based on caster level, so please include that in the future as well. Today it is CL 8th. I had to delay responding since I wasn't on my machine and couldn't look up the spell in the few minutes I had to be sure enough to continue. My apologies, and I've uploaded the spell list to my cell phone so that shouldn't happen again.

The party continues to float down gently.

Hawks #3 and #5 tuck in and begin their rapid descent.

Hawk #1 blazes passed the slowing #4 and heads straight for DAI, being small-looking and on the end. A claw with a set of talons juts out at him.

DAI clinches his teeth and puts up a barrier of ice.
04:22, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 15 using 1d20. Conserve MP, Ice Armor.
MP: 43/68


One of the talons cuts straight through the ice, which lessens the damage considerably, but DAI is still left with a deep gash along side.
04:23, Today: teslas rolled 17 using 2d8+8. diving talon damage.
04:23, Today: teslas rolled 18 using 1d20+11. #1 dive attack vs. DAI.


This is looking toward the cliff from the side:

11
  DSZJ


Hawk #2 drops like a still-smoldering stone.
Collision chance roll, hawk #1 now a viable target:
04:27, Today: teslas rolled 13 using 1d100. 1-50: party, 51-75: hawk, 76+: nothing.
04:27, Today: teslas rolled 3 using 1d4. 1 = DAI 2 = SILI/MILO 3 = ZEIG 4 = JAGA.

It spirals around, bounces off of the rock wall slightly, and comes straight at ZEIG.

Pausing to allow ZEIG to potentially use a class ability.

Round 3:
20: 3     - 160' above you
20: 5     - 185' above you
11: 1     - 5' above you
11: 2     - dead (or will be very soon), colliding with ZEIG
11: 4     - 155' above you, Frightened
 7: DAI
 7: MILO  - Grappling SILI
 6: SILI  - Grappling MILO
 4: JAGA  - Readied Action
 4: ZEIG
 0: Fall


The party is 430' from the bottom. Float wears off at the beginning of Round 5.

This message was last edited by the GM at 09:47, Mon 28 May 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1617 posts
 White Mage
Mon 28 May 2012
at 15:40
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig glows with a white energy and twists around in midair, narrowly evading the hawk.
11:39, Today: ZEIG rolled 21 using 1d20+6. Reflex Divine Grace.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:20, Mon 28 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3672 posts
Mon 28 May 2012
at 20:23
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The hawk body whips by ZEIG and continues to skid against the wall from time to time in a spiral, making good headway toward the ground.

Hawk #4 extends its wings fully, slowing dramatically, and flies to the east along the cliff face in a shallow 'U' of an arc. Wingover to change its direction and then it flies away from you laterally. Near the end of its turn, it seems to slow once again.

Round 3:
20: 3     - 160' above you
20: 5     - 185' above you
11: 1     - 5' above you
11: 2     - dead (or will be very soon), below you
11: 4     - ~100' above, 305' away
 7: DAI
 7: MILO  - Grappling SILI
 6: SILI  - Grappling MILO
 4: JAGA  - Readied Action
 4: ZEIG
 0: Fall


The party is 430' from the bottom. Float wears off at the beginning of Round 5.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:28, Mon 28 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1945 posts
Mon 28 May 2012
at 20:30
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI glares at the Hawk that had rushed at him, now ready to show it what a bad idea that was. He takes the time to focus so that he didn't leave any openings(23 concentration), and shoots a blast of fire into the damned thing's face. "Err, JAGA, was it? Think you can take care of this?"

13:30, Today: DAI rolled 4 using 1d4. Dazzle duration(doubled penalties).
13:29, Today: DAI rolled 44 using 5d12+16. Damage.
13:29, Today: DAI rolled 17 using 1d20+6. Fire II(PBS)(RTA) vs Hawk 1.
Reflex DC 18 to avoid dazzle like last time

13:28, Today: DAI rolled 1 using 1d20. 12-14 conserve MP Fire II.
MP 36/68

This message was last edited by the player at 20:44, Mon 28 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3673 posts
Mon 28 May 2012
at 20:39
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The hawk screeches wildly as half of its body is singed with fire. It is still alive.

MILO continues to struggle against SILI, upset even more by the massive, screaming, flaming, flying creature close by while having nothing under his feet.

6: SILI
SILI
 player, 1658 posts
Mon 28 May 2012
at 21:04
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
15:58, Mon 28 May: SILI rolled 18 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 16. Grapple check.

Sili still grips Milo, doing nothing else.

GM Edit-
Putting his grapple check back in.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:41, Wed 30 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3680 posts
Wed 30 May 2012
at 21:42
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
JAGA, you're up. I'll delete this when you post.
JAGA
 player, 33 posts
Wed 30 May 2012
at 23:17
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Pushing off the wall, Jaga attempts to prevent the bird from crashing into Dai.


19:12, Today: JAGA rolled 22 using 1d20+19. Jump check.
19:12, Today: JAGA rolled 12 using 1d20+10. To hit.
19:13, Today: JAGA rolled 13 using 3d6+4. damage.

wow....I really rolled shit today...

teslas
 GM, 3681 posts
Wed 30 May 2012
at 23:25
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Alright, so you're going to kick off at a fairly shallow angle (30 degrees or less) to be able to reach the bird attacking DAI. You would gauge this as something that's rather difficult to do.

I need you to confirm that this is what you'd like to do.

Looking from the top down, this is what it'd look like. You'd have to travel along the dotted red line. (The green is just there to show you how it would progress if you wanted to jump out further.)


HHDSZJ
HH ..
 ..
.

teslas
 GM, 3685 posts
Thu 31 May 2012
at 00:52
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
JAGA kicks off of the wall just enough to push him toward the hawk. He doesn't quite get the angle he was hoping for, and stops moving just a little under 5' away from the flaming bird.

Now looks like this from the top down:

HHDSZ
HH
   J


And this from the side:

HH
  DJZ


Round 3:
20: 3     - 160' above you
20: 5     - 185' above you
11: 1     - 5' above you
11: 2     - dead (or will be very soon), below you
11: 4     - ~100' above, 305' away
 7: DAI
 7: MILO  - Grappling SILI
 6: SILI  - Grappling MILO
 4: JAGA
 4: ZEIG
 0: Fall


The party is 430' from the bottom. Float wears off at the beginning of Round 5.
ZEIG
 player, 1621 posts
 White Mage
Thu 31 May 2012
at 02:29
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig tries to cover himself with his hands as best as he can. "Stay close!"
Total Defense
teslas
 GM, 3687 posts
Thu 31 May 2012
at 02:53
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Instead of merely tucking in their wings, hawks #3 and #5 flap furiously, descending at a great rate of speed directly at the party, one clawing at DAI and the other at JAGA.

DAI throws up another wall of ice, gritting his teeth for impact.
21:44, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 6 using 1d20. Conserve MP, Ice Armor.
MP: 33/68


Both birds find their marks, now just above the party.
21:46, Today: teslas rolled 18 using 2d8+8. #5 damage.
21:46, Today: teslas rolled 29 using 1d20+11. #5 diving talon vs. DAI.
21:45, Today: teslas rolled 14 using 2d8+8. #3 damage.
21:45, Today: teslas rolled 28 using 1d20+11. #3 diving talon vs. JAGA.


Hawk #1 screeches wildly, performs a maneuver similar to #4, and flies nearly straight west away from all of you, descending toward the ground rapidly to gain tremendous speed.

Hawk #4 turns around and makes its way back toward the party at a controlled pace.

Hawk #2 topples and tumbles, now only a few seconds away from being nothing but a greasy mark on the rocks below.

This is the configuration looking down from the top. JAGA is underneath #5 in the underlined square.
---------
  33DSZ
  3355
    55


Round 4:
20: 3     - 5' above you
20: 5     - 5' above you
11: 1     - 15' below, 1050' away
11: 4     - 75' above, 195' away
 7: DAI
 7: MILO  - Grappling SILI
 6: SILI  - Grappling MILO
 4: JAGA
 4: ZEIG  - Total Defense
 0: Fall


The party is 370' from the bottom. Float wears off at the beginning of Round 5.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:52, Thu 31 May 2012.

DAI
 player, 1950 posts
Thu 31 May 2012
at 03:52
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI will delay until after JAGA. "Hey! Get away from the birds, I'm gonna use a sleep spell."

This message was last edited by the player at 03:52, Thu 31 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3688 posts
Thu 31 May 2012
at 04:09
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
MILO continues to struggle in SILI's arms.

Post your grapple check to resist his grapple if you wish to hold on to him. You could, also, you know, roll some Handle Animal checks on your turn to tell him to stop. Not like you're doing anything else with your move actions... apart from trying to get the guy who ran into your house to pay for your shit. If you don't post by tomorrow midday I'll take your turn for you.

Chances are you will beat his grapple, but if you fail, what you do on your turn may change if he gets out of your arms.


 6: SILI

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:09, Thu 31 May 2012.

SILI
 player, 1659 posts
Thu 31 May 2012
at 05:24
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili continues holding onto his dog, trying to calm it down.

Uncertain of the target, he doesn't take Dai's instructions very well. "YOU'RE THE CLOSEST ONE TO THEM, DUMBASS!"

GM Edit-
I asked you to post your rolls...
00:21, Today: SILI rolled 15 using 1d20+2 with rolls of 13. Grapple check.
00:21, Today: SILI rolled 23 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 10. Handle Animal.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:09, Thu 31 May 2012.

JAGA
 player, 38 posts
Thu 31 May 2012
at 06:25
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
positioning himself, Jaga attempt to injure the bird as it dives.

02:25, Today: JAGA rolled 16 using 3d6+4.
02:25, Today: JAGA rolled 16 using 1d20+9. Attack 2.
02:24, Today: JAGA rolled 11 using 3d6+4. Damage 1.
02:24, Today: JAGA rolled 28 using 1d20+9. Attack 1.


GM Edit-
Combat rolls be red, sir.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:16, Thu 31 May 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3690 posts
Thu 31 May 2012
at 07:36
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
JAGA brings his fist around into the bird's exposed belly. The force almost spins him around completely, which he uses to propel his foot into the same spot. The hawk is obviously wounded, lowering its wings to protect its underside and withdrawing its talons.

 4: ZEIG

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:19, Mon 04 June 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1622 posts
 White Mage
Thu 31 May 2012
at 15:28
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig watches nervously and tries to cast a spell while guarding himself from the hawk. He glows with a white light but is ultimately too distracted to get the spell off.
00:00, Today: ZEIG rolled 13 using 1d20+10. concentration Divine Insight. Gay.
MP: 29/67

This message was last edited by the player at 04:02, Fri 01 June 2012.

DAI
 player, 1961 posts
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 06:47
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI sighs as the idea of using Sleepga does not look quite as useful just yet, remembering the effects of his necklace he takes it off for now just in case. He then tosses a blast of fire at the nearby Hawk that was on death's door.

23:47, Today: DAI rolled 2 using 1d4. Reflex DC 16 dazzled, doubled penalties.
23:46, Today: DAI rolled 29 using 3d12+12. Damage.
23:46, Today: DAI rolled 22 using 1d20+6. Fire I(RTA)(PBS) vs Hawk 5.

13:31, Today: DAI rolled 3 using 1d4. huzzah!
13:31, Today: DAI rolled 14 using 1d20. 12-14 conserve MP, Elem Seal Fire I.
MP 32/68

teslas
 GM, 3698 posts
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 08:04
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI's spell lights one of the bird's wings ablaze. It shrieks briefly before going limp and begins its descent straight toward JAGA.

I am going to assume ZEIG would be wise enough to recast Float as he said he was probably planning on doing before.

Just as Float's effect expires, and everyone begins to experience the feeling of weightlessness, ZEIG reapplies it.
MP: 24/67

Hawk #3 appears to lose interest after seeing #5 get punched and singed, breaks chase, and begins flying off toward the east.

Hawk #5 starts its tightly spiraling fall down toward the bottom, obviously already dead.
02:51, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 9 using 1d20+7. Reflex DC 20.
The bird crashes into JAGA, knocking him 30' below the level of the rest of the party.
02:51, Today: teslas rolled 11 using 3d6. collision damage.

Hawk #1 begins to ascend in the distance, the feathers it still possesses nearly blending in with the hues of the cliff face completely.

Hawk #4 simply circles overhead, watching all of you.

Round 5:
20: 3     - 300'+ feet away, leaving you
20: 5     - will go *splortch* against the rocks next round.
11: 1     - very far away
11: 4     - 155' above, 260' away, circling overhead
 7: MILO  - Grappling SILI
 6: SILI  - Grappling MILO
 4: JAGA  - 30' below
 4: ZEIG
 4: DAI
 0: Fall


The party is 310' from the bottom. Float wears off at the beginning of Round 10.

Combat is over at this point unless you'd like to continue initiative for some reason.

With the hawks mostly dispersed, and the whole ordeal having gone on for a few moments now, MILO will begin to calm down, especially since SILI will start spamming Handle Animal checks.

Even though JAGA is out of range of another Float casting, it will last him until the bottom just fine.

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:06, Fri 01 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3700 posts
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 08:14
Re: 12:42pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Everyone gains 525 EXP for overcoming the encoutner, a further 200 EXP due to the novel nature of the "battlefield", and 50 EXP for enduring DM error.

Total:

Everyone gains 775 EXP for overcoming the encounter.
teslas
 GM, 3701 posts
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 08:20
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Everyone makes it to the bottom without issue. A few of you have hard landings but are otherwise alright from a scrape or two on the leg or back.

Two giant bird carcasses lay to either side of where everyone landed. Their blood begins to dry on the rocks in the direct afternoon sunlight.
DAI
 player, 1964 posts
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 08:24
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI downs a couple potions of Cure, noting he only has 2 left. "Hey ZEIG, I'm starting to run low on potions, got any spares?" He then dusts himself off and looks to the others to make sure everyone was in one piece.

01:24, Today: DAI rolled 8 using 2d8+2. 2 Cure I potions.
DAI
 player, 1965 posts
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 08:28
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI gets a flash of inspiration, and rummages through his Haversack, handing an amulet to SILI and JAGA. "Those might come in handy, make your skin tougher or something..." He then hands JAGA a ring. "That...also makes you harder to kill, as well as giving your general status to any of the other wearers." He gestures to the ring ZEIG SILI is wearing.

GM Edit-
SILI is wearing one of the rings, not ZEIG.

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:44, Fri 01 June 2012.

SILI
 player, 1661 posts
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 14:26
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili takes the amulet and puts it on. "Heavy. What next?"
ZEIG
 player, 1624 posts
 White Mage
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 14:53
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Add free-falling off a cliff being chased by giant hawks to my list of things never to do again."

Zeig dusts himself off and grabs a few cure potions from his bag.

"Yea, I've got a few. Maybe we should look for a place to rest. We need to hear your story Jaga, and you might want to hear ours."

I have 8 cure potions, and they don't do me a ton of good. Anybody that wants some, take them, as I can make more. 1d8+1 healing per use, mostly out of combat for that little healing but saves on mp.
DAI
 player, 1967 posts
Fri 1 Jun 2012
at 14:54
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI will take 5, thank you.
ZEIG
 player, 1627 posts
 White Mage
Sat 2 Jun 2012
at 04:24
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Damn birds."

Zeig begins walking along the intended path to the south, taking jumping off a cliff and being chased by giant hawks in stride.

"We are traveling to free the elven king from the curse of the drow prince Astos. Once we complete this, we will be able to attain a key that will allow us to travel to the western land of Melmond. Once we are there we can begin our investigation as to the strange fluctuation in the primal elements in nature."

"I don't know if you are aware of this, but when we found you you were a stone statue. It is currently Lightsday in the 8th week of the year 852 according to the Cornelian calendar. Does this mean anything to you? I feel a great deal of time may have passed since you last drew breath. Take a moment and gather your thoughts."


Zeig is compassionate while addressing their new friend but does not dance around the issue at hand.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:19, Sun 03 June 2012.

JAGA
 player, 39 posts
Sun 3 Jun 2012
at 15:40
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Glossing over a whole lot of exposition, since this really isn't a heavy roleplay game.

"Well then looks like I have no where to go." Jaga said accepting the ring and amulet. "You have my skills if you need them."

Oh the humanity. There is a whole lot of emotion and stuff.

What do the amulet and ring do?

This message was last edited by the player at 15:41, Sun 03 June 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1630 posts
 White Mage
Sun 3 Jun 2012
at 16:33
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Glad to have you. You might want to hang onto this as well."

Zeig tosses Jaga the potion of Barrier. +17 temporary HP for 7 minutes.

Moving along the path until camp unless something interrupts. Chocobos aren't worth the MP for 3 hours of travel, although if we summon chocobos that are fresh couldn't we keep going for a few more hours? It'd be a break from all the walking and there's plenty of daylight left.
SILI
 player, 1663 posts
Sun 3 Jun 2012
at 19:39
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili eyes the slave as he leans over to pet Milo. "You seem to be taking this quite well." He gets to walking along the path.
DAI
 player, 1977 posts
Sun 3 Jun 2012
at 21:06
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI showed no real reaction, it was a logical way to handle the situation...if anything he was surprised at how level-headed JAGA was. "Hmm, well good that he did." DAI said to SILI, before continuing. "After all if he was going to break down into a blubbering mess he wouldn't be a very productive member of the party now...would he? Either way let's move on, we're probably only gonna be able to get so far before we have to rest."
teslas
 GM, 3713 posts
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 02:07
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
This is not an RP-non-existent game, that's for sure. Just no trite embellishments or anything like that. Feel free to tell them about your past, it might make them trust you more. You may just be the kind of guy to say 'eff it'. I'll do whatever--it's better than unwittingly waiting around a deserted keep for the next few hundred years or more.

MILO looks up at SILI and wags his tail, then happily follows his master. A bit over a few hours later with the afternoon lightsday sun still quite high in the air, everyone's legs begin to tire and bellies start grumbling.

There is no real path the party is taking, though the terrain is gravely and mostly level near the cliffs, making it better than some roads they have traveled upon. An overhang in the rock looks like an ideal spot to camp for the afternoon and night. Black scorch marks re-stained countless times from campfires on the ceiling of the formation suggest that many others have thought the same thing over countless years.

It is 3' tall near the back, 8' at its highest at the front, and large enough to fit ten humans without issue. The rock is quite thick and sturdy, and the odds of it collapsing on you now are less than you finding the drow crown laying there in the open.

Spells, songs, alchemy, item uses, etc.


Now that you have four people and one big dog needing food, you need to tell me how you're feeding yourselves. Do this in the OOC.

The survival pouch can only pull out a tent or a campfire if four of you eat from it. The overhang will keep the rain off of you, and it's a very temperate climate here so the either campfire or tent should keep you warm enough. If the ground were stone, you'd need a bedroll to stay warm, but it's a mixture of dirt and gravel which is a bit more insulating.

JAGA, if you want to go use Survival to feed yourself today, you can, but you'd have to wander around which opens up my favorite thing in the while world: random encounters when the party is split. In the future, the survival check is for the whole day, and it slows the party down if you do it (until you have a 60' movement speed, I guess).

MILO can eat basically whatever a human eats and more. Today let's say that you let him eat his fill on the dead hawks, so he's fine.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:53, Mon 04 June 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1632 posts
 White Mage
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 03:27
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"This looks like a good place to settle in." Zeig says, eying the countryside and the overhang.

23:22, Today: ZEIG rolled 34 using 1d20+14. craft (alchemy) Cure potion (assist +2).
23:24, Today: ZEIG rolled 25 using 1d20+14. craft (alchemy) Cure potion (assist) 2.
23:24, Today: ZEIG rolled 24 using 1d20+14. craft (alchemy) Cure potion (assist) 3.
23:25, Today: ZEIG rolled 31 using 1d20+14. craft (alchemy) Cure potion (assist) 4.
23:26, Today: ZEIG rolled 31 using 1d20+14. craft (alchemy) Cure potion (assist) 5.


Zeig makes five potions of Cure during the down time.
CL1 SL1, 1st in 30 min, 2nd in 2 hours, 3rd in 2 hours, 4th in 1 hour, 5th in 1 hour. Total 5 Cure potions in 6.5 hours of crafting, Zeig lounges around and drinks wine for the remaining time.

This message was last edited by the player at 04:10, Mon 04 June 2012.

SILI
 player, 1665 posts
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 04:31
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
While Zeig crafts his potions, Sili brings out the book he grabbed in the town and looks it over carefully.

NOTE: Back in the town with the ghost and the bug swarm, Sili grabbed one of the books off of a table shortly after killing the ghost. Sili has a +6 bonus to Decipher Script and I'd do it myself but it specifically says the check should be made secretly. He'll start at the spine and work his way inwards.

Just before going to sleep, Sili will use Ballad and Paeon, taking 10 (total 23) so all 7th level characters gain 7 MP, 14 HP and 5 THP over what's normally granted by resting.

teslas
 GM, 3717 posts
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 07:07
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
SILI checks over the ledger and can't make heads or tails of it. It's obviously in undercommon but is using some kind of cipher or code.

Alchemy supplies deducted from DAI's pack.

Campfire/tent now?

DAI
 player, 1979 posts
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 09:08
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI compliments ZEIG on his work, seeing that he could pump out potions much quicker then the Black Mage ever had...even if they were weak ones they could save lives. After some time he seems ready for rest, and will help the others setup camp to fall into their standard sleep schedule. DAI offers up one of his five tents(already deducted from party inventory thread) to help make up for he and ZEIG's drained reserves from that day.
teslas
 GM, 3718 posts
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 09:32
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
K, going to assume you throw out a campfire. SILI, go ahead and roll or just take a 10 and tell us what the bonuses are for Ballad/Paeon and then your inspirational speaking in the morning.
JAGA
 player, 40 posts
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 13:14
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Well no point in me staying here in this decrepit place." Jaga said, slipping on the amulet and ring. "And it would be no help at all if I were to just break down crying right now. I'll do that later tonight when you're all trying to sleep"

------later------

"Impressive work."
Jaga says at the skill in which Zeig made the potions. "I can do very few things like that, I was never very handy with a tool."



Does the campfire take up one of the food slot things with the survival pouch? Because I can make a campfire with a survival check right?


GM Edit-
you're != your
Question answered in the OOC thread.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:32, Mon 04 June 2012.

SILI
 player, 1666 posts
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 14:52
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Just before going to sleep, Sili will use Ballad and Paeon, taking 10 (total 23) so all 7th level characters gain 7 MP, 14 HP and 5 THP over what's normally granted by resting.

After waking, Sili recites a story to keep everyone on their toes.


10:50, Today: SILI rolled 29 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 16. Perform (Oratory) (Readiness on Party).

29/8=3

+3 morale bonus to Initiative for the rest of the day.

Garus
 player, 28 posts
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 18:51
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
During the evening an armored figure closed on the group of adventures. His hawk sitting upon his shoulder. In armor this humanoid at about 8 foot. A great metal tower shield slung to his left armor. His right hand free. No weapon is in it.

If eyes flow across his entire body the man seems to be armed to the teeth. On his hip a dagger that could be mistaken for a short sword hangs on his hip. In a sheath built into the shield a weapon that looks more like a longsword is tucked in. A Trident looking to be designed for use by a giant sticks out from the left side of his back and the handle for an axe also sized for a giant pokes out from his right shoulder.

He stops just in sight, "May I approach?"

GM Edit-
Grammar nazi strikes again.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:42, Mon 04 June 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1634 posts
 White Mage
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 19:33
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Not sure what time it is currently but chances are Zeig is awake if people are sleeping.

"...come no further than the edge of the fire light. What do you want?"
DAI
 player, 1981 posts
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 20:19
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI looks up and immediately bolts to a standing position, wand in hand. "Crap! He's ba- Wait...no that's not him, false alarm." DAI then tucks his wand away and goes back to eating some food, letting ZEIG handle this giant.
teslas
 GM, 3720 posts
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 21:40
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
He would probably have approached at the end of third watch, as the sun is rising.

The man is larger than any man any of you have seen or would have considered possible. He's either a fluke of the highest degree or not altogether human. His facial features are rugged and enlarged, yet familiar enough to not make you uncomfortable.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:06, Mon 04 June 2012.

Garus
 player, 29 posts
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 22:44
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
The man approaches slowly removing his helm and holding it in his sword hand, "Your fire brought me here. It was odd to see a campfire in this area. At least one as small as yours. I am seeking a giant in plate."
ZEIG
 player, 1635 posts
 White Mage
Mon 4 Jun 2012
at 23:32
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Hmm. You seem to speak better than him, does he speak well for a giant? We may have met him recently..."

Zeig will show this man/giant/thing his Angel ring and see if he recognizes it. "This was a token of our last battle."
Garus
 player, 30 posts
Tue 5 Jun 2012
at 00:10
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"He is more social then most giants. I spent a great deal of time away from my mothers people and with the little people so I tend to at least be better versed in speaking." The man looks at the ring trying to see if he recognizes it.
DAI
 player, 1982 posts
Tue 5 Jun 2012
at 00:14
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI's eating is interrupted by the thought of a giant and human mating, he quickly dismisses it and keeps eating thinking. What a brave man...

This message was last edited by the player at 01:24, Tue 05 June 2012.

SILI
 player, 1667 posts
Tue 5 Jun 2012
at 01:19
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili keeps a discreet eye on the man while wondering why he could hear Dai's thoughts. "Do you have a name, Half-Giant?"
Garus
 player, 31 posts
Tue 5 Jun 2012
at 01:40
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Garus looks to the man asking the question, "Garus is what the little people call me."
SILI
 player, 1669 posts
Tue 5 Jun 2012
at 04:11
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili looks impressed. "Really? All the little people I've met couldn't fit a 5 letter name in even if you hit it with a hammer. Humans especially are addicted to short nicknames. I'm Silivrentoliel but everyone calls me Sili."

This message was last edited by the player at 04:15, Tue 05 June 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1636 posts
 White Mage
Tue 5 Jun 2012
at 14:04
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"We were not on the friendliest terms last we met. I hope you are not his comrade."

Zeig does not think the very large man is here for a fight but neither was Leif when they first met.
Garus
 player, 32 posts
Tue 5 Jun 2012
at 19:52
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"He was my teacher taught me how to fight. I was somewhat returning to test myself against him. It seems he has already been defeated." The man seems disappointed but not angry.
ZEIG
 player, 1637 posts
 White Mage
Tue 5 Jun 2012
at 20:36
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Well four against one hardly seems like it would be the same as what you are talking about, and I'm pretty sure he'll be coming after us again. How about traveling with us? When he finds us again, you'll find him and we'll have a nice distraction to get away with. You'll have to pull your weight though. Sounds like a win win, no?"

It seems like people kept slipping in and out of their lives lately, but Zeig is willing do what was necessary to find out the truth.
Garus
 player, 33 posts
Wed 6 Jun 2012
at 03:49
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"Its still surprising that he was defeated. I guess I could travel with you." He reaches up to pet his hawk, "This is gurlop...Its a giant word."
JAGA
 player, 43 posts
Wed 6 Jun 2012
at 03:52
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Jaga snores.
teslas
 GM, 3725 posts
Wed 6 Jun 2012
at 04:13
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Filling Garus in, if he's even interested (if he's not he's a bit of a freaking weirdo), will require that you do some paraphrasing in orange.

Garus, you'd be interested to know if your mentor still lives. DAI/ZEIG/SILI, you know that he most likely does, though GRIM broke all his equipment then threw it in the river, and you guys took the rest. His body could have also been dragged away or devoured by the nightmarishly large predators in the forest by the time you came back through. There's really no telling.

More talky talky! We can do this while you proceed south, just say that you pack up and go (and potentially summon chocobos, DAI, *cough* *cough*). Garus, you've been on this general direction southward before for at least the next few days worth of travel, so if you've got nothing better to do joining them might be at least entertaining.

The odds of three human bandits and a half-elf on this side of the river deepflight so far south of the aldi sea is basically an impossibility. The fact that two of them are wearing mages' robes and a third is also spindly with no apparent weapons further accentuates this fact. Take that to mean what you will.

DAI
 player, 1985 posts
Wed 6 Jun 2012
at 04:28
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI seems to nod along to Garus's words, it was an odd story but...he had no trouble believing it. "Hm, well your mentor certainly didn't make any of the fights easy, showed a lot of honor which was a surprise. He actually left when we were being attacked by goblins and such, letting us handle them before trying to kill me and ZEIG here again." As DAI talks he gets an idea, and takes his staff(that I completely forgot about) and sets it down next to JAGA, he was likely to get more use out of it them the Black Mage.

OOC: Don't have stats written down anywhere, think it gave +2 strength when held or something, which is fine since you can just kick, or hell, use it for 2-handed attacks if you need the extra damaage.
ZEIG
 player, 1638 posts
 White Mage
Wed 6 Jun 2012
at 04:42
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig again offers up some potions for the people while traveling towards their new goal.

I have eight again and they are exceptionally useful for conserving MP or if I get knocked out or if you need to stabilize someone (like me), etc, etc, etc. They are weightless, no reason people shouldn't have at least 2 or 3 on them.

1d8+1 Cure Potions x8

Garus
 player, 34 posts
Wed 6 Jun 2012
at 04:51
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Garus accepts some of the potions more then happy to have a little extra something.

Well he would take up to 4 but 2 or 3 is fine just depends how many people snap them up.
SILI
 player, 1670 posts
Wed 6 Jun 2012
at 15:06
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Sili takes 3. "Thanks."
DAI
 player, 1989 posts
Wed 6 Jun 2012
at 21:05
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
DAI summons some chocobos once everyone is up, using his circlet for a green one and getting yellows for the rest of the slow walkers. He offers one to JAGA so he didn't feel like DAI wasn't giving one to the slave, but really it wouldn't make them move any faster thanks to Garus's size(he doesn't mention this openly, of course).
Garus
 player, 35 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 04:12
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
"He values honor some and like most giants strength. He values more then just strength which is rare in giants. It sounds like him to not attack someone while there fighting someone else." Garus looks at the summoned birds blinking at the fact they just appeared, "That is a convenient ability."
ZEIG
 player, 1639 posts
 White Mage
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 04:36
Re: 12:43pm Lightsday, 8th week 852s
Zeig is all for continuing along with their new traveling companions.

"I don't know who hired him, but we cannot stop our quest for any reason. The implications are potentially worldwide. I would rather he realized his error and help us instead, but life is rarely so convenient."
teslas
 GM, 3733 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 06:33
6:00pm Darksday, 9th week 852s
The party, save for JAGA and MILO, mount up. The green chocobo with Garus on top seems to be only a pound or two away from its maximum weight and *Wark*s uncomfortably a few times before resigning itself to its fate for the day.

The group begins to heads straight west in order to follow the coastline south. Garus suggests heading south for a short while due to a giant path he is aware of. You find the path, and it ends up saving you a couple hours of travel for the day. The Darksday sun is warm yet muted slightly.

The party leaves the cliff faces and enters a thick forest. By the end of the day's travel they arrive at the coastline. The beaches are extremely rocky, and huge, sharp natural formations of stone jut out of the water at a myriad of distances off shore. The waves are three to four feet tall as they crash around the rocks in the surf. Waves in the Aldi rarely reach that height even in the most severe storms.

Everyone gains 100 Experience points for seeing a true ocean for the first time of their lives.
Well, SILI has almost assuredly seen the ocean south of Elfheim, and Garus has seen this one... but I don't feel like singling you out and making this overly complex.

SILI explains the reason why this part of the continent might have never see more civilizations rise was that ocean travel on the vast majority of the western coastline is nearly impossible. The rocks destroy ships in quick order, and the currents are extremely strong within a few miles of shore.
01:28, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 18 using 1d20+11. Know (geography).

ZEIG, SILI, and DAI are all competent historians, and none of them can remember any major surface settlements along this coastline.

Where are you camping? Visibility is good on the beach to see things sneaking up on you, but you'd be more concealed in the trees. You already know that mean shit lives in the forests around here, though.

This message was last edited by the GM at 07:59, Thu 07 June 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1640 posts
 White Mage
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 06:46
Re: 6:00pm Darksday, 9th week 852s
Zeig votes for the trees. Anything near enough to live in the forest isn't likely to forsake a meal because of visibility on the beach. Perhaps the forest will aid them for once with its concealment.

GM Edit-
Time/date in subject edited.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:58, Thu 07 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3737 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 08:19
Re: 8:00am Firesday, 9th week 852s
DAI and ZEIG, now used to everything that's large enough to do so trying to kill them, opt for camping behind the bit of cover just inside the tree line.

Garus and JAGA get a nice fire started and get about collecting firewood for the night while SILI kicks around some sticks then decides to stay out of the way.
03:04, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 14 using 1d20+6. group survival check.
03:04, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 8 using 1d20+3. group survival check.
03:04, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 14 using 1d20+7. group survival check.


The night passes without incident.

The Firesday sun pierces the canopy above you waking everyone up in a decent mood. JAGA, SILI, and Garus comment on the lack of clouds and the like, discussion what today's weather will be like. They come to a consensus that it'll be rather clear.
03:16, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 17 using 1d20+6. weather prediction.
03:15, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 15 using 1d20+3. weather prediction.
03:15, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 8 using 1d20+6. weather prediction.


DAI, you're up with the chocobos. If you want I can just assume you do the same thing every day. Let me know.
DAI
 player, 1991 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 08:21
Re: 8:00am Firesday, 9th week 852s
DAI will repeat the Chocobos, yes. He'll also offer to aid ZEIG with potion making, since belting out 3-5 cure potions a night is pretty damn cool.
teslas
 GM, 3740 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 08:57
Re: 8:00am Firesday, 9th week 852s
DAI summons four more chocobos as he did the day before, and the party sets on. The view to the west with the rocky beach and jagged rocks out at sea remains the same. The view to the east, however, shifts consistently and gradually to that of large stretches of grassland with hills and then mountains in the distances. The environment is actually quite very pretty.

There is no road, though there is an old packed dirt ridge running where the plains encounter the beach. The gravel underneath from the beach and the topsoil from the plains slowly blowing onto it would make this a naturally occurring primitive road. The tracks of many different types of claws, hooves, and feet keep it well-packed.

No less than a few times does the party see wild bands of yellow chocobos in the fields, grazing away happily. With them sometimes are smaller herds of wild goats or deer. They keep a wary eye on you as you ride by.

Apart from Garus, none of you have ever seen wild chocobos before.

I can't imagine a reason you might, but if you do decide to go near them we can come back and resolve it. Just let me know.

At this rate you will reach the edge of the swamp in seven days.

teslas
 GM, 3741 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 09:01
Re: 4:00pm Firesday, 9th week 852s
As the sun makes its way lower and lower into the horizon, the party slows to find a place to camp for the night.

The beach is still an option, as are the plains several hundred feet away from it. The grass ranges from two to four feet tall in patches, steadily averaging taller the further from the beach it gets. There is a small strip of packed earth and gravel on which you're riding that you could also camp. It averages about 300' from the sea's edge here, though this varies from place to place as well as with the tide.
Garus
 player, 37 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 10:38
Re: 4:00pm Firesday, 9th week 852s
Garus looks at the beach and then back at the plains, "I would say we should keep some distance from the ocean. Things can come from the ocean and id prefer a bit more time to react to them. Also, we want to be out of range of attack from the sea where i at least cant swim easily. So the plains might be the best choice or here where we are walking."
DAI
 player, 1993 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 11:30
Re: 4:00pm Firesday, 9th week 852s
DAI looks a little surprised at the Chocobos, he had never quite questioned it but...this was a new sight. The fact that they seemed to be naturally occurring here was also of note, but nothing he really acted on. When it came time to camp again, DAI will take the options into consideration and look up and down the path they had been following. "Hmm...I'll agree with Garus on this one, let's just stick to an area not near the water."
ZEIG
 player, 1641 posts
 White Mage
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 16:12
Re: 4:00pm Firesday, 9th week 852s
"I like the idea of better visibility. Grass it is."
SILI
 player, 1671 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 16:40
Re: 4:00pm Firesday, 9th week 852s
"There are predators on the plains." Sili notes. "But frankly there are predators everywhere, so plains it is." He rides forward, placidly.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:46, Thu 07 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3746 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 16:48
Re: 8:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Again, Garus and JAGA get together the materials to make a campfire. They find a small amount of driftwood and plenty of dry grass to get it started, but the majority of the fuel is hardened feces from the grazing animals in the field. Camp is not a pleasant-smelling place this night.
11:39, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 6 using 1d20+3. campfire Survival.
11:39, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 22 using 1d20+6. campfire Survival.
11:39, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 18 using 1d20+6. campfire Survival.


The night passes without incident. The sunset over the ocean is magnificent. A slight bit of heat lightning accentuates the last twenty minutes of it brilliantly.

The three outdoorsmen (one of which being MILO) cannot make heads or tales of what the upcoming day's weather might be like because they've all gotten pinkeye from the burning shit.
11:40, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 9 using 1d20+3. earthsday weather.
11:40, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 9 using 1d20+6. same.
11:40, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 8 using 1d20+6. same.


DAI summons the chocobos one more time, removing his necklace beforehand. The terrain remains unchanged for basically the entire day, and the odds of anyone complaining about it are very slim.

11:45, Today: teslas rolled 58 using 1d100. random enc. Alright you piece of shit.
Only a 58, but I'll take it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:50, Thu 07 June 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1642 posts
 White Mage
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 17:43
Re: 8:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Zeig spends two nights churning out cure potions.

Night 1 - 4 potions over 8 hours
13:40, Today: ZEIG rolled 27 using 1d20+14. craft (alchemy) Cure potion (assist).
13:40, Today: ZEIG rolled 32 using 1d20+14. craft (alchemy) Cure potion (assist) 2.
13:40, Today: ZEIG rolled 33 using 1d20+14. craft (alchemy) Cure potion (assist) 3.
13:41, Today: ZEIG rolled 20 using 1d20+14. craft (alchemy) Cure potion (assist) 4.


Night 2 - 1 potion over 8 hours
13:42, Today: ZEIG rolled 17 using 1d20+14. craft (alchemy) Cure potion (assist).

Inventory updated. I leave for work in 2.5 hours so I might slow combat down a bit.
teslas
 GM, 3750 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 20:10
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
The party continues its steady pace. The weather holds just as it was the day before, though perhaps one or two degrees cooler.

The sound of the tall, dry grass swaying in the wind on one side with the ocean surf on the other is an interesting blend. Looking at the map, you might be sad to see this will be the last full day of terrain like this.

Just before you pause for your mid-day rest, Gurlop flying about 60' overhead lets out an alarmed screech. All of you scan your surroundings.

DAI, MILO, and JAGA notice the grass swaying in an extremely odd way where the map is orange and stare at it while everyone else is still wondering what is going on.

Surprise Round:
22: SILI   - Does not act, Flat-footed
20: DAI
17: Gurlop - Flat-footed, 60' in the air above DAI
16: JAGA   - Flat-footed
15: #2
 9: MILO   - Flat-footed
 9: ZEIG   - Does not act, Flat-footed
 7: Garus  - Does not act, Flat-footed
 6: #1

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4'

,,,.SS..\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.SSM..\\\||||\\\\\\
,,..DD..\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,..DD..\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.ZZJ.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,.ZZ...\\\\\\\\\||\\
,,,.GG...\\\\\\\\||||\
,,,.GG..\\\\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|||||
,,......\\\\\\\\||||||
,,......\\\\\\\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\\\\\\\|||||
,,......\\\\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|||||
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\|

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:18, Thu 07 June 2012.

DAI
 player, 1996 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 20:18
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
DAI raises an eyebrow, but is not exactly surprised at this point at the thought of wild animals being ready to attack them for little to no reason. He decides preparing for the worst is for pussies, and acts by setting a large portion of the grass that is moving on fire.

13:16, Today: DAI rolled 35 using 3d12+15. Fire II AoE.
Reflex DC 18 to halve, if failed reflex DC 18 to avoid dazzle:
13:17, Today: DAI rolled 1 using 1d4. dazzle duration(doubled penalties).

13:16, Today: DAI rolled 9 using 1d20. 12-14 conserve MP.
MP 52/68



,,,.SS..\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.SSM..\\\||||\\\\\\
,,..DD..\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,..DD..\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.ZZJ.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,.ZZ...\\\\\\\\\||\\
,,,.GG...\\\\\\\\||||\
,,,.GG..\\\\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|||||
,,......\\\\\\\\||||||
,,......\\\\\\\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\\\\\\\|||||
,,......\\\\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|||||
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\|

1.3..
.2.4.
.765.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:47, Thu 07 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3755 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 20:53
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Awesome. That works.

The dry grass instantly flares up into ash, revealing an enormous insect that was lying flat on the ground in an attempt to keep its profile out of sight. It takes little time for everyone to recognize it as a scorpion. Its tail is nearly eleven feet long, and the stinger at the tip is larger than Garus's head. It lets out an incredibly high-pitched squeal, which seems to terrify the chocobos, as it is blasted with fire.

Gurlop stops to a hover overhead, waiting for any instructions Garus might give him.

Surprise Round: (Standard Action only)
22: SILI     - Does not act, Flat-footed
20: DAI
16: JAGA
15: #2
11: chocobos - Does not act, Flat-footed, Frightened
 9: MILO     - Flat-footed
 9: ZEIG     - Does not act, Flat-footed
 7: Garus    - Does not act, Flat-footed
 7: Gurlop   - 60' in the air above DAI
 6: #1

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4'

,,,.SS..\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.SSM..\\\||||\\\\\\
,,..DD..\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,..DD..\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.ZZJ.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,.ZZ...\\\\\\\\\||\\
,,,.GG...\\\\\\\\||||\
,,,.GG..\\\\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|||||
,,......\\\\\\\\||||||
,,......\\\\\\\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\\\\\\\.\111
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.111
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|\111
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\|

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:41, Thu 07 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3756 posts
Thu 7 Jun 2012
at 21:25
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Carrying out JAGA's instructions sent via PM from his phone.

JAGA yells out that this is a very old wind scorpion that's extremely poisonous and hates cold. He then readies himself to charge at scorpion #1 should it come within range.
There's some serious rules lawyering here that needs to be discussed later, but this is a legal move in a surprise round, so long as it takes place before the end of the surprise round.

A second, smaller, though still quite large, scorpion comes skittering out of another section of tall grass as quickly as your chocobos could run. It's difficult to tell where it is looking, but could be headed directly at ZEIG, Garus, or either one of their chocobos.

MILO bears his teeth and growls ferociously. Readied action to attack anything that's not a chocobo or a party member that comes near him.

Gurlop continues to wait for his master's command.

The huge scorpion #1 makes its way toward the party with its pincers open and ready to grasp whatever it can. JAGA, surprised by the second scorpion springing up from hiding, finds his path blocked.

The scorpions appear to be of the same species.

Round 1:
22: SILI
20: DAI
16: JAGA
15: #2
11: chocobos - Flat-footed, Frightened
 9: MILO     - Readied Action
 9: ZEIG     - Flat-footed
 7: Garus    - Flat-footed
 7: Gurlop   - 60' in the air above DAI
 6: #1

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4'

,,,.SS..\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.SSM..\\\||||\\\\\\
,,..DD..\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,..DD..\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.ZZJ.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,.ZZ...\\\\\\\\\||\\
,,,.GG...22\\\\\\||||\
,,,.GG..\22\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\\111\\\\|||||
,,......\\111\\\||||||
,,......\\111\\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\\\\\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\|

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:30, Thu 07 June 2012.

SILI
 player, 1673 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 02:41
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
2 should just be within range.

Sili brings out his harp, playing a calming song for the smaller scorpion.

22:39, Today: SILI rolled 31 using 1d20+16 with rolls of 15. Perform (Harp) (Lullaby on Scorpion 2).

31/3= caster level 10, 5th level spell, DC 18 Will save or fall asleep.

DC 30: The sleeping creature is in such a deep slumber that it cannot be awoken by the Aid Another action, and it no longer automatically awakens when an enemy merely approaches it.
teslas
 GM, 3759 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 06:09
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
SILI opts to stay on top of his chocobo, pulls out his harp, and plays a song. The creature has no eyelids, remains standing, and was not producing any noises, making it nearly impossible to tell if the song had an effect.

Round 1:
22: SILI
20: DAI
16: JAGA
15: #2
11: chocobos - Flat-footed, Frightened
 9: MILO     - Readied Action
 9: ZEIG     - Flat-footed
 7: Garus    - Flat-footed
 7: Gurlop   - 60' in the air above DAI
 6: #1

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4'

,,,.SS..\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.SSM..\\\||||\\\\\\
,,..DD..\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,..DD..\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.ZZJ.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,.ZZ...\\\\\\\\\||\\
,,,.GG...22\\\\\\||||\
,,,.GG..\22\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\\111\\\\|||||
,,......\\111\\\||||||
,,......\\111\\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\\\\\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\|

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:23, Fri 08 June 2012.

DAI
 player, 1998 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 06:16
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
DAI decides to play it safe, and drops a heavy sleep spell on the pair of Scorpions, hoping the fight could be ended with relative ease with a couple well-placed strikes by JAGA and Garus. He notes SILI's song but also knows that his spells tend to be a little more effective when they work. DAI then takes a moment to get off his Chocobo, on the side away from the Scorpions.

Elemental Seal Sleepga, so DC 22 Will save or sleep status for 4 rounds. Hits both Scorpions and no allies easy
23:15, Today: DAI rolled 10 using 1d20. 12-14 conserve Sleepga.
MP 49/68

This message was last edited by the player at 06:36, Fri 08 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3760 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 06:23
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Just as before, it's difficult to tell if the spell has any effect, though if anything would put them to sleep, that should have.

Round 1:
22: SILI
20: DAI
16: JAGA
15: #2
11: chocobos - Flat-footed, Frightened
 9: MILO     - Readied Action
 9: ZEIG     - Flat-footed
 7: Garus    - Flat-footed
 7: Gurlop   - 60' in the air above DAI
 6: #1

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4'
c = chocobo

,,,.SS..\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,DSSM..\\\||||\\\\\\
,,..cc..\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,..cc..\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.ZZJ.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,.ZZ...\\\\\\\\\||\\
,,,.GG...22\\\\\\||||\
,,,.GG..\22\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\\111\\\\|||||
,,......\\111\\\||||||
,,......\\111\\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\\\\\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\|

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:57, Fri 08 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3762 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 06:48
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
SILI's knowledge check result:

This message was last edited by the GM at 08:12, Fri 08 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3763 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 13:04
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
DAI and SILI might want to have that talk with Garus and JAGA about Sleep/Lullaby and etc, etc. And you two casters might want to call out what you're casting.

Taking JAGA's turn for him as described in PM from his phone.
JAGA, not quite sure what magical effects are going on, moves around behind #1 in order to flank for Garus.
Move E, E, E, E, E, SE, E, then tumble, S, S, S
07:57, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 15 using 1d20+14. DC 15 Tumble vs. #1.
The large scorpion does not seem to respond to JAGA's movements as he takes position on its flank, almost standing in between two of the creature's massive legs.

The smaller giant scorpion #2 does not move.

DAI's chocobo nearly hops over him as it makes its way back northward as quickly as it can. It is now 60' off of the north edge of the map on the packed dirt.

Garus's chocobo flails wildly under his massive load, flinging him off. It then moves southward 50'. It is 15' off of the south edge of the map on the packed dirt.
He had informed me he did not want it to let it carry him away from the fight.
08:02, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 11 using 1d20. DC 15 Ride soft fall.
08:02, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 4 using 1d6. fall damage.

SILI's chocobo digs in and turns to run 200' to the north. ZEIG's chocobo does much the same thing. The both of you need to determine whether you want to fall off now, prone, as a free action (DC 15 Ride check to negate 1d6 falling damage), or stay with them as they book it away from the fight.

Round 1:
22: SILI
20: DAI
16: JAGA
15: #2
11: chocobos - Frightened
 9: MILO     - Readied Action
 9: ZEIG     - Flat-footed
 7: Garus    - Flat-footed, Prone
 7: Gurlop   - 60' in the air above DAI
 6: #1

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:51, Fri 08 June 2012.

SILI
 player, 1674 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 13:32
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
09:31, Today: SILI rolled 24 using 1d20+7 with rolls of 17. Ride (Soft landing, DC15).
teslas
 GM, 3767 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 13:50
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
SILI tucks in as he rolls off of his chocobo's back, unharmed.

ZEIG, however, is markedly less graceful and lands on his wrist. A small pop and tingle runs up his arm as it twists a bit too far.
08:46, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 9 using 1d20-1. DC 15 Ride soft fall.
08:46, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 1 using 1d6. fall damage.

All of the chocobos are now off of the map. The three yellow ones ran north. The green one ran south.


MILO takes a step to the west next to his master and continues snarling.

Round 1:
22: SILI   - Prone
20: DAI
16: JAGA
15: #2
 9: MILO   - Readied Action
 9: ZEIG   - Prone
 7: Garus  - Flat-footed, Prone
 7: Gurlop - 60' in the air nearly straight above MILO
 6: #1

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4', +2 to Tumble DC

,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\||
,,,.S...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,D.M...\\\||||\\\\\\
,,......\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,......\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,..Z..\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,......\\\\\\\\\||\\
,,,..G...22\\\\\\||||\
,,,.....\22\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\\111J\\\|||||
,,......\\111\\\||||||
,,......\\111\\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\\\\\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:54, Fri 08 June 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1644 posts
 White Mage
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 15:29
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Zeig stands, takes a 5' step NW, and points his finger at scorpion 1. He curls his finger back towards him and a small ball of light pours out of the center of the scorpion before disappearing.
Dia, CL 7, -1 AC for 4 rounds.
MP: 58/69

"It'll be easier to hit now, you guys be careful!"
teslas
 GM, 3769 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 15:48
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Round 1:
22: SILI   - Prone
20: DAI
16: JAGA
15: #2
 9: MILO   - Readied Action
 9: ZEIG
 7: Garus  - Prone
 7: Gurlop - 60' in the air nearly straight above MILO
 6: #1     - Dia (-1 AC)

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4', +2 to Tumble DC

,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\||
,,,.S...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,D.M...\\\||||\\\\\\
,,......\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,..Z...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,......\\\\\\\\\||\\
,,,..G...22\\\\\\||||\
,,,.....\22\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\\111J\\\|||||
,,......\\111\\\||||||
,,......\\111\\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\\\\\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|

Garus
 player, 39 posts
Fri 8 Jun 2012
at 23:47
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Garus rises from prone and moves to cut off the huge scorpion while engaging the large scorpion. Taunting the huge one in giant as he moves.

OOC Get up from prone. Move forward one square and over two drawing trident as i move.  Also using provoke on Scorpion 1
teslas
 GM, 3771 posts
Sat 9 Jun 2012
at 06:37
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
I'm gonna be honest wi't' chu, I have no idea which directions "over" and "forward" are. 95% of the time or more, "up" is north. I'm going to move you toward scorpion #2. East, East, East. We can fix this after the fact if you tell me if that's not correct before something else takes the square you were going to move into etc.

edit-
Position slightly updated as instructed.


Garus picks himself up and walks over to the smaller scorpion while drawing his appropriately-sized crab fork and bashing it against his shield toward the huge one.

Gurlop continues to hover over the battlefield.

The huge scorpion #1 does not move.

Round 2:
22: SILI   - Prone
20: DAI
16: JAGA
15: #2
 9: MILO   - Readied Action
 9: ZEIG
 7: Garus
 7: Gurlop - 60' in the air nearly straight above MILO
 6: #1     - Dia (-1 AC)

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4', +2 to Tumble DC

,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\||
,,,.S...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,D.M...\\\||||\\\\\\
,,......\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,..Z...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,......\\\\\\\\\||\\
,,,......22\\\\\\||||\
,,,.....G22\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\\111J\\\|||||
,,......\\111\\\||||||
,,......\\111\\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\\\\\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:40, Sat 09 June 2012.

SILI
 player, 1676 posts
Sat 9 Jun 2012
at 15:01
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Sili flips up in a really awesome way before ruining the moment with a song.

17:47, Today: SILI rolled 27 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 14. Perfom (Vocal) (Virelei on Scorpion 2).

27/3=9, caster level 9, Spell level 5, DC 18 Will save or can't attack my allies (which currently include Dai, Zeig, Milo, Gary and his pet birdie too)

GM Edit-
Color Nazi'd.
And no more changes. This is our story and we're sticking with it.

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:14, Sun 10 June 2012.

DAI
 player, 2001 posts
Sat 9 Jun 2012
at 20:23
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
I bothered PMing you my actions and everything >.>

DAI moves 15ft South, and readied an action to use Fire II single target mode on the largest Scorpion that lives after Garus's action. He decides to use Manafont for the first time in a while, letting his magics flow freely.

Readied action rolls, these have not happened yet.
13:21, Today: DAI rolled 4 using 1d4. Ref 18 vs Dazzle, doubled penalties.
13:21, Today: DAI rolled 49 using 5d12+15. Damage.
13:20, Today: DAI rolled 14 using 1d20+5. Fire II(RTA) vs 1 or 2.

13:20, Today: DAI rolled 15 using 1d20. 12-14 coserve MP Fire II.
MP 44/68 if/when cast

This message was last edited by the player at 10:46, Sun 10 June 2012.

JAGA
 player, 48 posts
Sat 9 Jun 2012
at 20:48
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
JAGA remains in place and begins to focus. Focus.

GM Edit-
You don't 'use' focus on anyone. It's basically just something that replaces/adds on to the Total Defense action. Read your damn class description when you get a chance.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:51, Sat 09 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3775 posts
Sat 9 Jun 2012
at 20:58
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Scorpion #2 moves its large mouthpieces a bit, but otherwise remains stationary.

MILO holds his ground.

Round 2:
22: SILI
16: JAGA   - Focus (x1), +6 AC
15: #2
 9: MILO   - Readied Action
 9: ZEIG
 7: Garus
 7: DAI    - Readied Action
 7: Gurlop - 60' in the air nearly straight above MILO
 6: #1     - Dia (-1 AC)

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4', +2 to Tumble DC

,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\||
,,,.S...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,..M...\\\||||\\\\\\
,,......\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,..Z...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,D....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,......\\\\\\\\\||\\
,,,......22\\\\\\||||\
,,,.....G22\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\\111J\\\|||||
,,......\\111\\\||||||
,,......\\111\\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\\\\\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:12, Sun 10 June 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1646 posts
 White Mage
Sun 10 Jun 2012
at 05:52
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
"Looks like you guys have things under control, but be on guard."

Zeig thinks to himself that he wished he had studied nature a little more (and had know 'nature' as a class skill) and takes a defensive stance after moving to the south. Total Defense, moving south 20' and SW 5', just inside range to reach Jaga with close range spells if necessary.
Garus
 player, 41 posts
Sun 10 Jun 2012
at 10:43
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Garus grunted something in giant, [sentence]. Shifting kiddy corner so he is adjacent to both scorpions grinding the trident against the second scorpion as he moves to keep its attention.

Once he has both scorpions within range he works on droping the smaller scorpion. Carfully skewering it on his crab fork.

OOC:Shift southeast 5'. Attempt to provoke Scorpion 2. Full attack scorpion 2 with Max combat expertise. Not sure if my provoke can work so ill just try it on each it doesn't cost anything but a swift action. Ac is now 28 until my next turn.

06:41, Today: Garus rolled 8 using 1d20-1.
06:41, Today: Garus rolled 12 using 1d20+4. First attack with -5 for Combat Expertis.
Im not going to bother rolling damage cause i don't think ill hit. If i do its 2d6+6.

08:16, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 21 using 1d20+5. 1st trident vs. #2 correct modifier.
08:19, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 12 using 2d6+6. trident damage 1.
08:16, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 16 using 1d20. 2nd trident vs. #2 correct modifier.
08:19, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 15 using 2d6+6. trident damage 2.

GM Edit-
you're != your

edit2-
And it looks like you messed up some addition. I see you having +6 BAB, +4 from strength, +1 from mwk weapon, and +1 from weapon focus feat to hit for a total of +10 after the -2 from your tower shield. After you subtract 5 from maximum Combat Expertise, this puts you at +5/+0. I don't see what might have caused you another -1 penalty.

Making me fix your actions takes time. Please don't make a habit of it, good sir. I apologize if I've missed something.

edit3-
And if you speak in any other language beside common, please send it in a PM to the language group. It's in the "insert private line to" drop-down.

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:22, Sun 10 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3779 posts
Sun 10 Jun 2012
at 13:43
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Garus prods his trident into the side of the scorpion twice, both times wedging it under a plate of its thick exoskeleton.

DAI looses a spell directly at the huge scorpion, nailing it squarely. It shrieks again, piercing JAGA's and Garus's eardrums.

#1 takes a step to the southeast slices open JAGA's belly a slight bit, but misses with the other claw and its stinger.
08:35, Today: teslas rolled 31 using 1d20+11. #1 claw 1 vs. JAGA.
08:35, Today: teslas rolled 27 using 1d20+11. crit confirm.
08:36, Today: teslas rolled 17 using 2d8+12. critical claw damage.
08:39, Today: teslas rolled 12 using 1d20+1. #1 imrpoved grab grapple.
08:39, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 25 using 1d20+9. grapple resist.
08:40, Today: teslas rolled 21 using 1d20+6. #1 stinger vs. JAGA.
08:40, Today: teslas rolled 23 using 1d20+11. #1 claw 2 vs. JAGA.


Round 3:
22: SILI
16: JAGA   - Focus (x1), +6 AC
17: #3
15: #2
 9: MILO   - Readied Action
 9: ZEIG   - Total Defense, +4 AC
 7: Garus  - Combat Expertise (+/- 5)
 7: DAI    - Manafont
 7: Gurlop - 60' in the air nearly straight above MILO
 6: #1     - Dia (-1 AC)

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4', +2 to Tumble DC

,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\||
,,,.S...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,..M...\\\||||\\\\\\
,,......\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,......\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,D....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,......\\\\\\\\\||\\
,,,......22\\\\\\||||\
,,,.....\22\\\\\||||||
,,,Z....\G\\\J\\\|||||
,,......\\\111\\||||||
,,......\\\111\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\111\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|

This message was last edited by the GM at 13:45, Sun 10 June 2012.

SILI
 player, 1678 posts
Sun 10 Jun 2012
at 14:22
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
After the scorpion took damage, Sili's Virelai is no longer affecting it. Sili sings the same song at the same scorpion.

10:20, Today: SILI rolled 29 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 16. Perform (Vocal) (Virelai on Scorpion 2).

29/3=9, caster level 9, spell level 5, DC 18 or
DC 15: Target will no longer willingly harm anyone the Bard considers an ally.

teslas
 GM, 3782 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2012
at 04:18
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Taking JAGA's action as per his PM.
JAGA takes the opportunity to finish off Scorpion #1.
22:59, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 17 using 1d20+15. punch-in-bunch 1 vs #1 (focus x1).
23:00, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 31 using 6d6+10. damage (focus x1).
23:00, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 21 using 1d20+10. punch-in-bunch 2 vs #1.
23:00, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 13 using 3d6+5. damage.

It slumps to the ground, a very pale blue substance flying everywhere. JAGA then moves around behind #2 to flank for Garus.
23:02, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 33 using 1d20+14. DC 15 Tumble vs. #2.

Thousands upon thousands of tiny scorpions crawl up from under the tall grass and cover Garus. The grass obscures how many might be in the area.
23:10, Today: teslas rolled 10 using 2d6. #3 swarm damage vs. Garus.
23:11, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 16 using 1d20+10. Fort vs. swarm poison.
Thousands of tiny stings coat Garus. They burn like mad, but he suffers no ill effects immediately.

Scorpion #2 simply stands there, motionless.

Round 3:
22: SILI
16: JAGA
17: #3
15: #2
 9: MILO   - Readied Action
 9: ZEIG
 7: Garus  - Swarmed (DC 16), Poisoned, Combat Expertise (+/- 5)
 7: DAI    - Manafont
 7: Gurlop - 60' in the air nearly straight above MILO
 6: #1     - Dia (-1 AC)

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4', +2 to Tumble DC

,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\||
,,,.S...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,..M...\\\||||\\\\\\
,,......\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,......\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,D....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,......\J\\\\\\\||\\
,,,......22\\\\\\||||\
,,,.....\22\\\\\||||||
,,,Z....\G\\\\\\\|||||
,,......\\\111\\||||||
,,......\\\111\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\111\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|

ZEIG
 player, 1647 posts
 White Mage
Mon 11 Jun 2012
at 04:31
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Zeig recoils in disgust for a moment before conjuring a soothing balm for Garus' wounds. As the poison is drawn out, Garus shimmers briefly with a faint light.
Basuna, CL 8th, remove poison. Guardian - Bless (Fort).
Garus receives +4 to his next fortitude within 1 round of the casting of this spell (before my turn in round 4).

MP: 57/69

He then moves 15' north.

This message was last edited by the player at 05:26, Mon 11 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3785 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2012
at 05:10
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Round 3:
22: SILI
16: JAGA
17: #3
15: #2
 9: MILO   - Readied Action
 9: ZEIG
 7: Garus  - Swarmed (DC 16), Blessed (+4 Fort)
 7: DAI    - Manafont
 7: Gurlop - 60' in the air nearly straight above MILO
 6: #1     - Dia (-1 AC)

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4', +2 to Tumble DC

,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\||
,,,.S...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,..M...\\\||||\\\\\\
,,......\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,......\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,D....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,Z.....\J\\\\\\\||\\
,,,......22\\\\\\||||\
,,,.....\22\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\G\\\\\\\|||||
,,......\\\111\\||||||
,,......\\\111\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\111\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:16, Mon 11 June 2012.

Garus
 player, 43 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2012
at 10:13
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Garus ignores the swarms distraction swinging for the only scorpion that is still up with controlled blows, "Can someone get these things off me.".

06:05, Today: Garus rolled 7 using 1d20. 2nd attack against scorpion 2.
06:04, Today: Garus rolled 23 using 1d20+5. Attack against scorpion 1.
06:03, Today: Garus rolled 9 using 1d20+5.

06:00, Today: Garus rolled 34 using 1d20+14. Fort Save.
09:11, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 10 using 1d20+7. flank trident 1 vs. #2.
09:12, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 22 using 1d20+2. flank trident 2 vs. #2.
09:12, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 4 using 1d20+2. crit confirm.
09:12, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 12 using 2d6+6. damage.


I hit enter i guess while filling out the tag for the roll and i still filled out the tag for the 1st attack wrong. Full attack with full combat expertise. Its totally fair to use the first roll for the attack and the third. Wasting a 20 on a save that required a 2 or better.

GM Edit-
Except that you're flanking it with JAGA. Need to add +2 to the attack rolls.

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:13, Mon 11 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3786 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2012
at 14:15
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Round 3:
22: SILI
16: JAGA
17: swarm #3
15: #2
 9: MILO     - Readied Action
 9: ZEIG
 7: Garus    - Swarmed (DC 16), Combat Expertise (5)
 7: DAI      - Manafont
 7: Gurlop   - Total Defense (+4), 60' in the air nearly straight above MILO
 6: #1       - Dia (-1 AC)

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4', +2 to Tumble DC

,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\||
,,,.S...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,..M...\\\||||\\\\\\
,,......\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,......\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,D....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,Z.....\J\\\\\\\||\\
,,,......22\\\\\\||||\
,,,.....\22\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\G\\\\\\\|||||
,,......\\\111\\||||||
,,......\\\111\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\111\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|

This message was last edited by the GM at 14:31, Mon 11 June 2012.

DAI
 player, 2003 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2012
at 18:11
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
DAI frowns a bit, he was glad they were doing well but he kind of felt like he had wasted tapping into the infinite reserves of raw magical energy. He gave a bit of a deflated sigh as he stepped forward, holding one hand up before tossing an earthen spear through the remaining scorpion, and crushing the ground around a few of its legs.

11:10, Today: DAI rolled 37 using 4d10+20. This is just humorous.
11:10, Today: DAI rolled 18 using 1d20+6. confirm?
11:10, Today: DAI rolled 26 using 1d20+6. Stone(RTA)(PBS) vs Scorpion 2.
Rough terrain in the 2 squares left of it.

MP 43/68

OOC: Because DAI does not understand the meaning of the word "Overkill"

This message was last edited by the player at 18:12, Mon 11 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3788 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2012
at 18:36
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
The scorpion #2 is torn to shreds by DAI's magic.

The pool of nearly translucent blue fluid around the huge scorpion spreads along the ground.

Round 4:
22: SILI
16: JAGA
17: swarm #3 - location hidden by grass, though it's partly all over Garus
 9: MILO     - Readied Action
 9: ZEIG
 7: Garus    - Swarmed (DC 16), Combat Expertise (5)
 7: DAI      - Manafont
 7: Gurlop   - Total Defense (+4), 60' in the air nearly straight above MILO
 6: #1       - Dia (-1 AC)

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4', +2 to Tumble DC
☼ = magical difficult terrain, +5 to Tumble DC

,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\||
,,,.S...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,..M...\\\||||\\\\\\
,,......\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,......\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.D...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,Z.....\J\\\\\\\||\\
,,,.....☼\\\\\\\\||||\
,,,.....☼\\\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\G\\\\\\\|||||
,,......\\\111\\||||||
,,......\\\111\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\111\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:26, Mon 11 June 2012.

SILI
 player, 1679 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2012
at 19:10
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Sili holds his action, unable to assist the swarmed fighter.
teslas
 GM, 3789 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2012
at 19:13
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
16: JAGA
teslas
 GM, 3791 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2012
at 20:23
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Acting as per JAGA's instructions sent from his phone.
JAGA moves out of the grass and onto the packed dirt path, unable to contribute anything to help with the horde of insects. He then looks out over the fields to see if he can spot any more signs of other incoming scorpions. He sees no traces currently.
15:19, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 21 using 1d20+10. Spot.

The swarm continues to bite, sting, and claw at Garus, though only an ineffectual one or two of are able to crawl underneath his armor.
15:20, Today: teslas rolled 2 using 2d6. #3 swarm damage vs. Garus.

ZEIG is at work, Garus is not poisoned, and ZEIG has no ability to help with swarms apart from blasting you with his staff, so we're going to skip him for now. Delaying until after DAI.

Round 4:
22: SILI     - Holding action
16: JAGA
17: swarm #3 - location hidden by grass, though it's partly all over Garus
 9: MILO     - Readied Action
 7: Garus    - Swarmed (DC 16)
 7: DAI      - Manafont
 7: ZEIG
 7: Gurlop   - Total Defense (+4), 60' in the air nearly straight above MILO
 6: #1       - Dia (-1 AC)

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4', +2 to Tumble DC
☼ = magical difficult terrain, +5 to Tumble DC

,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\||
,,,.S...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,..M...\\\||||\\\\\\
,,......\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,......\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.D...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,ZJ....\\\\\\\\\||\\
,,,.....☼\\\\\\\\||||\
,,,.....☼\\\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\G\\\\\\\|||||
,,......\\\111\\||||||
,,......\\\111\\\\||||
,,.....\\\\111\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:26, Mon 11 June 2012.

Garus
 player, 45 posts
Mon 11 Jun 2012
at 23:04
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Garus forces his way out of the swarm looking very sick from its existence.

Moving out of the swarm as quickly as possible.

19:01, Today: Garus rolled 14 using 1d20+10. For Save versus swarm.
teslas
 GM, 3792 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 00:03
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Normally, since you didn't specify a direction, I'd roll one at random. In this case you'd have to be a silly-moron-face to run anywhere but out of the tall grass, so I'll roll a d3.
18:59, Today: teslas rolled 3 using 1d3. 1 = NW, 2 = W, 3 = SW.
Southwest it is! Moving 20' southwest, SW, SW, SW.

Round 4:
22: SILI     - Holding action
16: JAGA
17: swarm #3 - location hidden by grass, though it's partly all over Garus
 9: MILO     - Readied Action
 7: Garus
 7: DAI      - Manafont
 7: ZEIG
 7: Gurlop   - Total Defense (+4), 60' in the air nearly straight above MILO
 6: #1       - Dia (-1 AC)

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4', +2 to Tumble DC
☼ = magical difficult terrain, +5 to Tumble DC

,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\||
,,,.S...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,..M...\\\||||\\\\\\
,,......\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,......\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.D...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,ZJ....\\\\\\\\\||\\
,,,.....☼\\\\\\\\||||\
,,,.....☼\\\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\\\\\\\\|||||
,,......\\\111\\||||||
,,......\\\111\\\\||||
,,....G\\\\111\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:12, Tue 12 June 2012.

DAI
 player, 2004 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 00:16
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
DAI holds up one hand as the entire area Garus had been previously alights in flames, the sound of hundreds of tiny scorpions popping from the heat accompanying the instantaneous rise in heat.

17:14, Today: DAI rolled 2 using 1d4. dazzle(only if failed last save).
17:14, Today: DAI rolled 26 using 3d12+15. Fire II AoE, Ref 18 to halve.

17:14, Today: DAI rolled 3 using 1d20. 12-14 conserve MP.
MP 39/68


,,,.....☼\\\\\\\\||||\
,,,.....☼\\\\\\\||||||
,,,.....\\\\\\\\|||||
,,......\\\111\\||||||
,,......\\\111\\\\||||

This message was last edited by the player at 00:19, Tue 12 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3795 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 00:31
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
DAI waves his hand in a circle and another patch of grass is turned to ash. An odd chorus crackling and popping noises can be heard as hundreds of the diminutive insects burn.

Now that some of the grass has been removed, portions of the swarm are visible around where Garus was standing.

I'm just going to go for ZEIG as he has two options: do nothing or use his staff.
ZEIG knocks his staff against the ground once as a wall of water surges across the ground over the swarm.
19:41, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 14 using 2d8+5. Water II AoE damage vs. #3.
He then moves away from it, having already seen enough people covered by masses of tiny insects this week. NW, N, N, N

The huge scorpion continues to hemorrhage fluid.

SILI and JAGA have already stated they are waiting for someone to do something about the swarm. SILI is going to continue holding his action, and JAGA is going to move up with the rest of the party.

The swarm continues its efforts to kill Garus slowly after it moves to envelop him again. Most of it is now visible on the ground around and below him.
19:48, Today: teslas rolled 7 using 2d6. #3 swarm damage vs. Garus.
Many of the insects find their way into his boots and through gaps in his armor around his ankles.
19:48, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 28 using 1d20+10. Fortitude vs. swarm poison.
His legs experience sharp pain but he suffers no immediate ill effects.

Round 4:
22: SILI     - Holding action
16: JAGA
17: swarm #3 - location hidden by grass, though it's partly all over Garus
 9: MILO     - Readied Action
 7: Garus    - Poisoned, Swarmed (DC 16)
 7: DAI      - Manafont
 7: ZEIG
 7: Gurlop   - Total Defense (+4), 60' in the air nearly straight above MILO
 6: #1       - Dia (-1 AC)

, = fine gravel
. = dirt/very short grass
\ = tall grass, 1-3'
| = very tall grass, 3-4', +2 to Tumble DC
☼ = magical difficult terrain, +5 to Tumble DC

,,,.....\\\\\\\\\\\\||
,,,.S...\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,Z.JM...\\\||||\\\\\\
,,......\\\\|||||\\\\\
,,......\\\\\\||\\\\\\
,,,.D...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
,,,......\\\\\\\\\||\\
,,,.....☼\\\\\\\\||||\
,,,.....☼..\\\\\||||||
,,,......\.\\\\\|||||
,,........\111\\||||||
,,....33\\\111\\\\||||
,,....G\\\\111\\\.\.\|
,,......\\\\\\\\|\.\.|
,,,.....\\\\\\\\\|...|

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:55, Tue 12 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3796 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 00:53
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
There's not much left to do in this fight.

DAI, you're the only one with an effective means of dealing damage to these things now. Go ahead and pick your spells and roll the damage for them until they're dead.

You need to deal 22 damage to it still (potentially a point or two more due to rounding), which you should be able to do unless they get lucky on their save.

Garus has DR 5/- and they do an average of 7 damage. ZEIG is already going to Basuna off the poison he has now, so we don't have to worry about further poisonings.

So yeah, in the interest of speeding this along since you already killed big momma, get to rolling.

DAI
 player, 2007 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 00:57
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
17:56, Today: DAI rolled 4 using 1d4. dazzle duration.
17:56, Today: DAI rolled 26 using 3d12+15. Fire II AoE again.

17:56, Today: DAI rolled 7 using 1d20. 12-14 conserve MP.
MP 35/68

teslas
 GM, 3797 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 01:00
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
More of the insects pop and burn.
They passed their save. Roll again.

Able to keep his wits about him, Garus uses the Run action to escape further swarmings.
19:59, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 29 using 1d20+10. DC 16 Fort vs. Nausea.

ZEIG removes his poison.
Basuna to remove poison. MP: 56/67

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:04, Tue 12 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3798 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 01:19
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
DAI texted that he'd do another Fire II AoE for his last round of Manafont.
Surprised at the insects' vigor, DAI again scorches a swath of ground with fire. With over half of the insects burned to a crisp or drowned, the rest disperse into the tall grass.
20:17, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 16 using 1d20. Conserve MP.
MP: 31/68

You'd have to roll some negative numbers on the damage dice to not kill them with another Fire II, so no damage roll needed.
teslas
 GM, 3799 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 01:28
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Everyone gains 480 EXP for defeating the scorpions.
teslas
 GM, 3800 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 01:39
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
The huge scorpion continues to bleed out. One of its legs continues to twitch even after what passes for scorpion blood stops dripping out of the thing's body.
20:40, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 17 using 1d20+2. Spot.
20:40, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 19 using 1d20+10. Spot.
20:40, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 21 using 1d20+4. Spot.
20:40, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 13 using 1d20+4. Spot.
20:40, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 6 using 1d20+1. Spot.

Giving it one last look-over out of curiosity, SILI spots a small piece of metal sticking out from between two plates of its exoskeleton. Pulling it out reveals a somewhat tarnished shortsword sized for a medium humanoid.

The five of you spend a little while looking it over, wondering why such a thing would be stuck underneath a giant scorpion's carapace.
20:47, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 15 using 1d20+1.
20:46, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 12 using 1d20+1.
20:46, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 20 using 1d20+6.
20:46, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 12 using 1d20+2.
20:46, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 23 using 1d20+4.
Final Result: 31

After some deliberation everyone is certain it's of elven make. The wrappings on the handle have long since rotted away, though it's still quite usable. The metal itself has discoloration of some kind, though it's obviously magical to have held up this long. One of the edges remains quite sharp. The weight of it is also just a tad bit lighter than normal. The party reaches a consensus that it isn't made of normal steel. Due to the bit of tarnish on it, DAI suggests it might be alchemical silver.

The chocobos in the distance are running at nearly full speed away from the party. The time it would take to catch the three yellow chocobos that ran north would likely cost as much time as would be saved by riding them instead of continuing on foot. The green chocobo runs a bit more slowly and headed south, so the party may be able to catch up to it once it calms down if it stays on the dirt path.

You guys have been traveling at a rate of 35' for half of the day. If you continued now you'd be traveling at 20'. If Garus removed his armor it would be 30'.

There's a 50% chance you catch up to your green chocobo in an hour's time, in which case the party would travel at 30' for the end of the day's travel.

We'll give either DAI or Garus a little while to say if they do anything to affect travel time, otherwise we'll assume you continue on foot.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:01, Tue 12 June 2012.

DAI
 player, 2008 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 07:30
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
DAI takes the sword and moves along his way, if nothing else it can be sold later on, unless Garus thinks it is better then any of his weapons.
Garus
 player, 46 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 09:37
Re: 11:00am Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Garus will not remove his armor to sleep. He has no interest in removing it to travel.
teslas
 GM, 3805 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 14:55
Re: 4:00pm Earthsday, 9th week 852s
The rate of travel for the rest of the day is slowed dramatically without chocobos. It seems as if the party will get to spend more than this last day in the serene setting, although it's slightly spoiled every other minute with the thought of humongous scorpions hiding in the grass.

At the end of the day in the distance the party can see an immense bay that will cause them to have to cut east for a ways before continuing south.

Same camp situation as before. Gravely shore/tall grass/in between on the makeshift path. Does DAI use one of his tents? ZEIG or DAI doing some alchemy? Identify the sword?

Gonna wait for at least two of you to say something.

ZEIG
 player, 1650 posts
 White Mage
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 16:08
Re: 4:00pm Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Zeig will cast Identify on the sword and forego alchemy for the night.
teslas
 GM, 3808 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 16:20
Re: 4:00pm Earthsday, 9th week 852s
ZEIG identifies the shortsword to be a

+1 Alchemical Silver Shortsword of Vermin and Elf Bane

ZEIG
 player, 1651 posts
 White Mage
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 16:30
Re: 4:00pm Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Zeig will tell everyone about the properties of the shortsword, reminding them that drow are a subrace of elves.
SILI
 player, 1681 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 16:34
Re: 4:00pm Earthsday, 9th week 852s
Sili eyes the sword cautiously. "Elfbane?" He says. He steers clear of it from then on.

GM Edit-
Color Nazi'd

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:52, Tue 19 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3809 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 16:51
Re: 8:00am Watersday, 9th week 852s
The weather is comfortable overnight, and the following morning is clear and cool.

DAI summons some chocobos and the party sets off for their next day of travel.

First person to roll the random encounter d100 and post it in the OOC wins.
JAGA
 player, 50 posts
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 21:01
Re: 8:00am Watersday, 9th week 852s
"Can you tell me more about this staff the same way you did with the sword"
ZEIG
 player, 1652 posts
 White Mage
Tue 12 Jun 2012
at 21:16
Re: 8:00am Watersday, 9th week 852s
"Sure, I have plenty of time on my hands."

I thought Dai Identified the staff, but looking back I don't see it.

Zeig will cast Identify on Jaga's staff during the Earthsday night as well, relating any information discovered in the morning.
teslas
 GM, 3814 posts
Wed 13 Jun 2012
at 17:41
Re: 8:00am Watersday, 9th week 852s
You essentially find out that you already know everything there is to know about it. There are no hidden bells and whistles. One more time, here's the item description:

Power Staff.

This masterwork quarterstaff has the peculiar property of enhancing the wielder's strength. It is magical in its own right, but is not a magical weapon.

Grants a +2 Enhancement bonus to your Strength ability score.
Grants a +2 Enhancement bonus to BAB-non-inclusive Strength-based checks.

ZEIG
 player, 1654 posts
 White Mage
Wed 13 Jun 2012
at 20:02
Re: 8:00am Watersday, 9th week 852s
Zeig will try his hands at a Restore Potion the next night we camp, unless we run into something crazy in the mean time.

16:01, Today: ZEIG rolled 25 using 1d20+14. craft (alchemy) - Restore potion, DC 30.
No dice.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:10, Wed 13 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3817 posts
Wed 13 Jun 2012
at 21:13
Re: 5:00pm Windsday, 9th week 852s
The day is uneventful and cool, which is a very welcome thing. The night at camp passes without incident.

The Windsday after carries the group eastward around an extremely large bay. By the end of the day a treeline can be seen to the south. The cooler than average temperatures continue into the evening.

Alchemy?
teslas
 GM, 3824 posts
Sat 16 Jun 2012
at 04:25
Re: 6:00pm Iceday, 9th week 852s
Using ZEIG's random encounter roll for the day, which is to say, nothing happens.

Your Iceday trip through the woods passes without issue, though progress is slowed due to a lack of any kind of marked trail. One thing is for certain, it seems like every damn forest on the continent has a population of giant spiders in it. The tell-tale webs hanging from trees and around deep and dark holes in the ground bring back bad not-so-distant memories for DAI and ZEIG.

In the middle of the day you come to a large clearing. There are extremely subtle raises in the ground in a grid-like pattern, hinting at stonework or structures that have not been present for ages upon ages. Judging by the size of it, it was a small town of no more than a few hundred people. As good a spot as any to eat lunch, the party rests here.

The end of the day brings you within sight of the edge of the forest. Everyone agrees it would be better to camp at the edge of the forest or out of it completely than to spend the night there.
Going to assume you guys all press on to get out, the chocobos will take some damage but they're summoned and who the hell cares.

Due to the abundance of firewood, a tent is pulled from the survival pouch and a nice camp is made right on the edge of the tree line. The sun sets on a patch of mountains to the west. It looks as if the next day's travel will take you through a wide mountain pass.

Another day's worth of alchemy takes place here.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:31, Sat 16 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3826 posts
Sat 16 Jun 2012
at 04:45
Re: 6:00pm Lightningsday, 9th week 852s
The Lightningsday sun rises over the mountains to the east. DAI summons the same amount of chocobos and the party sets off through the huge gap between the mountains.

Again, the day's travel passes without incident. Progress is only mildly slowed after reaching a boulder field that you must weave through. Garus is a little unprepared when his chocobo, instead of simply walking around some of the boulders, clings onto the sides and begins going over the tops of them. After the strain and awkward grip of Garus the second time, the chocobo doesn't attempt any more such affairs again.

The party makes camp with the western ocean in view once again. The coastline here is actually sandy, and the beach lies in a wide shelf running an average of 20' lower than the plains next to them. The grasses on the plains are the same type as before, but there are no signs of grazing herds of any kind. Having little to burn, the party pulls a campfire out of the survival pouch for the night.

A third day's alchemy can happen.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:47, Sat 16 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3827 posts
Sat 16 Jun 2012
at 04:56
Re: 6:00pm Lightsday, 10th week 852s
The Lightsday sun rises behind a veil of massive dark gray clouds, outlining them in silver.

There is no packed dirt on top of gravel here, so the party travels along the beach on the wet sand, making good time out of the tall grass that might conceal more wind scorpions of various sizes.

The rain begins to fall shortly after the party finishes mounting up. The chocobos don't mind as it runs off of their feathers the same as it would a duck's back. The sand on which the party travels is already wet, so other than getting all of your clothes thoroughly dampened and some chaffing in the saddles, it does not hinder progress.

The end of the day carries you halfway through this section of flatlands before you reach the swamp. The rain continues into the night, so the party pulls a tent from the pouch and forgoes a campfire.

The rain would add 2 to the DCs of making potions as there is no room in the tent while you craft. 4 days of alchemy to do, with one of the days having +2 to the DCs.

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:58, Sat 16 June 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1658 posts
 White Mage
Sat 16 Jun 2012
at 05:05
Re: 6:00pm Lightsday, 10th week 852s
01:04, Today: ZEIG rolled 15 using 1d20+14. cure potion 1 (not rainy day) DC 14.
01:04, Today: ZEIG rolled 34 using 1d20+14. cure potion 1 (rainy day) DC 16.
01:04, Today: ZEIG rolled 16 using 1d20+14. cure potion 2 (rainy day) DC 16.


Zeig crafts two cure potions over two nights.
teslas
 GM, 3828 posts
Sat 16 Jun 2012
at 05:05
Re: 6:00pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
It rains through the night, vindicating the choice of a tent. Everyone mounts up again after DAI summons chocobos.

The shelf separating the beach and the grasslands begins to become less and less pronounced. By the end of the day, a huge swath of swampland breaks before you, criss-crossed by shallow, slow-moving rivers. A central outcropping of seemingly out of place mountains dominates the southern skyline.

The rain breaks for the second half of the trip, but begins anew as drizzle as everyone dismounts. The party stops to camp on the beach again before it disappears into into the estuaries bordering the southern peninsula of the continent.

Another tent is pulled from the pouch.

Five days of alchemy now. Again, this day has +2 to the DCs.

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:21, Sat 16 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3833 posts
Sat 16 Jun 2012
at 05:26
Re: 6:00pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
Travel in the swamp will be slowed significantly if it rains, due to the rising water level. The party's team of survivalists can make some checks that will help avoid deep areas that will help, but it's going to be slow-going.

Chocobos will fare better in the swamps only because they are normally faster on dry land. They are much less likely to get mired in mud than some of you as well.

Going to pause here to give you guys a chance to notify me of any changes to what you're wearing/carrying.


JAGA is fairly certain the rain will continue through the night and all the next day. The day after next, Earthsday, will probably see some sunshine and give everyone a chance to dry off... from the waist up.
00:25, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 12 using 1d20+6. Survival, weather.
00:24, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 21 using 1d20+7. Survival, weather.
00:24, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 8 using 1d20+3. Survival, weather.

DAI
 player, 2013 posts
Sun 17 Jun 2012
at 03:20
Re: 6:00pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
Alchemy day 1
20:17, Today: DAI rolled 29 using 1d20+16. Fast(CL2) day 1, DC 26(need quarter). *2 hours*
20:16, Today: DAI rolled 32 using 1d20+16. Fast(CL2) day 1, DC 21(need half). *1 hour*
20:16, Today: DAI rolled 22 using 1d20+16. Fast(CL2) day 1, DC 16. *4 hours*


Alchemy day 2
20:18, Today: DAI rolled 20 using 1d20+16. Fast(CL2), DC 21(need half). *uncompleted*
20:18, Today: DAI rolled 28 using 1d20+16. Fast(CL2) day 2, DC 16. *2 hours*


Alchemy day 5(+2 DC)
20:19, Today: DAI rolled 20 using 1d20+16. Fast(CL2), day 5, DC 18. *8 hours*
teslas
 GM, 3840 posts
Mon 18 Jun 2012
at 07:22
Re: 9:00am Firesday, 10th week 852s
DAI summons the chocobos as normal and the sets off in the rain. The light of the Firesday sun barely makes it through the dark clouds overhead. Less than a mile from camp, the grasslands rapidly transition to swamp in a span of only 100'.

Garus explains that he's never been this far south, as there's no reason to do so unless one is looking for likely death. That being said, he has traversed temporary wet season swamplands in parts of the forest before, and directs the party to weave between areas of higher elevation he can pick out from collections of reeds and surface indications of water currents.
01:40, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 18 using 1d20+6. Survival, best path.
01:40, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 8 using 1d20+7. Survival, best path.
01:40, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 4 using 1d20+3. Survival, best path.

JAGA and SILI's heads explode as soon as they try and think about an entire region being made out of mud and muck.

The rain varies between a light drizzle and a flat downpour several times before the party stops for mid-day meal. The rain has caused the water level to rise in the time that you've been traveling, and MILO has had to swim several times as the party crossed some deeper parts. The water level has yet to rise above JACK's belly button, however, and everyone, especially JACK, is thankful for that.

More to come.
teslas
 GM, 3841 posts
Mon 18 Jun 2012
at 08:08
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
A bit after four hours of traveling the party comes across a patch of, relatively, dry land. A mound of dirt is merely wet from the rain, and allows everyone to dump the water from their shoes and give the chocobos some time to rest while everyone, except those with rings of sustenance, eats some rations for lunch.

Gurlop, sitting on Garus' shoulder like an over-sized parrot because of the rain, screeches nearly directly into his ear. The rest of the party, still not quite accustomed to this behavior, all turn their heads to see Garus grimacing while looking around for whatever the reason his companion deemed necessary of his attention.
02:46, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 12 using 1d20+10. DC 10 Fortitude vs Deafness.

JAGA is the first to spot the issue. Further in the distance, two ghastly humanoid shapes are approaching the party from opposite sides at rapid rates, one more quickly than the other. They are making no wake in the water as they move, which is a bit of a surprise to JAGA and Garus. As they come closer, everyone is able to see that they are, in fact, partially transparent. Gurlop takes flight immediately.
DAI, ZEIG, and SILI have seen a ghost, and these are moving like it was, through objects and substance like weeds and water without disturbing it at all. Both have at least a 60' move speed.

The two humanoid shapes are advancing, slowly rising out of the water as if walking along the bottom. JAGA spotted them as they were a little below belly-button level, while Gurlop likely saw one's head and shoulders nearly as soon as it emerged.

Both have partial cover from ranged attacks currently, due to being partially submerged in water.

Knowledge checks will occur when the creatures are closer, due to the rain and being partially submerged. It is clear to SILI, DAI, and ZEIG that they are incorporeal, however.


Gurlop begins his ascent, reaching an altitude of 30' above Garus.

Round 1:
23: Gurlop   - Total Defense (+4)
21: SILI
18: ZEIG
17: Garus
15: Chocobos
14: MILO
14: JAGA
12: DAI
11: #1
11: #2


. = muddy ground, +2 to Balance and Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, +7 to Tumble DCs


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,cc,,,.,,,,,,
,,,cc,....,,,,,
,,cc........,,,
,,cc..G....,,,,
,,,.MSZD.cc,,,,
,,,..J...cc,,,,
,,,,....cc,,,,,
,,,,,,,,cc,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:16, Mon 18 June 2012.

SILI
 player, 1683 posts
Mon 18 Jun 2012
at 14:27
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Sili will draw his harp and ready an action to sing Lullaby at the first ghost to come within his range (40 ft.).

Perform: +16, DC 10 for a gentle slumber, DC 30 for a deep slumber. Will Save DC 13+Song level.
ZEIG
 player, 1661 posts
 White Mage
Mon 18 Jun 2012
at 16:56
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Zeig blankets the party in an orange light and watches the approaching enemies.
Protectra +3, +3 AC to all nearby for 80 minutes.
MP: 61/67

What rotten luck.
teslas
 GM, 3842 posts
Mon 18 Jun 2012
at 20:41
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Taking action as described in PM.
Garus draws his trident and yells out a formal challenge to #2.

The chocobos notice the party tensing up and begin worriedly looking back and forth between the two figures.

MILO remains at SILI's side.

Round 1:
23: Gurlop   - Total Defense (+4)
21: SILI     - Readied Action
18: ZEIG
17: Garus    - Readied Action
15: Chocobos - Shaken
14: MILO     - Readied Action
14: JAGA
12: DAI
11: #1
11: #2


. = muddy ground, +2 to Balance and Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, +7 to Tumble DCs


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,cc,,,.,,,,,,
,,,cc,....,,,,,
,,cc........,,,
,,cc..G....,,,,
,,,.MSZD.cc,,,,
,,,..J...cc,,,,
,,,,....cc,,,,,
,,,,,,,,cc,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,2,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

teslas
 GM, 3843 posts
Mon 18 Jun 2012
at 21:23
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Taking action as per PM.
JAGA, unsure of what to do, begins to focus.
Focus (x1, +6 to AC)

12: DAI
DAI
 player, 2016 posts
Mon 18 Jun 2012
at 21:29
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"JAGA, Garus, these are ghosts...only magic weapons will work on them, sometimes." DAI says as he mumbles something under his breath, and readies a Fire II for as soon as one of them wasn't being concealed by the water.
teslas
 GM, 3844 posts
Mon 18 Jun 2012
at 22:04
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Figure #1 continues its rapid approach. It has a movement speed of about 80'. 25' from the edge of the mound on which the party is standing, it has risen out of the water enough to where DAI can get a clear shot.
16:34, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 16 using 1d20. Conserve MP, Fire II.
16:35, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 12 using 1d20+5. Fire II RTA vs. #1.
The creature moves slightly to evade the spell as it continues to come closer.

SILI is the next person to take a crack at it, playing Lullaby once its within range.
16:37, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 22 using 1d20+16. Perform Lullaby vs #1.
DC 17 Will

It stops where it is as if frozen, feet still dangling into the water without disturbing it.

Now that it's within range, ZEIG studies it as best he can. The rain running off of DAI's hat pools up momentarily as he casts his spell, then pours down over his face afterward, ruining the opportunity.
16:41, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 13 using 1d20-2. Spot, DC 5, to see #1 clearly.
16:41, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 26 using 1d20+10. Know (religion) #1.
16:42, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled -1 using 1d20-4. Spot, DC 5, to see #1 clearly.


The second creature, #2, advances almost as quickly. It appears to have a movement speed of 60'. It moves directly toward the party, passing by MILO and ZEIG, and actually moves through JAGA and SILI, who feel an intense chill as it does so. MILO yelps as if dealt a mortal blow as it comes nearer, and cowers in fear as it moves by. Garus waits to strike until it's not so close to SILI, but his weapon simply passes harmlessly through the creature. It ends its movement almost in the midle of the party, directly next to Garus, arms outstretched with tattered translucent robes hiding gaunt and deformed hands. Its head and face are obscured, somehow, by what looks to be a chain mail coif caked in similarly translucent mud and grime.

DAI and ZEIG both recognize what the apparition is.
16:52, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 21 using 1d20+8. Know (religion) #2.
16:52, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 28 using 1d20+10. Know (religion) #2.


Gurlop continues to fly away, though instead of his controlled and normal flight, he cuts a straight line eastward as quickly as Garus has ever seen him fly.

Round 2:
23: Gurlop   - Panicked, 30' above ground, 240' east
18: ZEIG
15: Chocobos - Panicked
14: MILO     - Panicked
14: JAGA     - Focus (x1, +6 AC)
11: DAI
11: SILI
11: #1       - Lullaby
11: Garus    - Combat Expertise (+5)
11: #2


. = muddy ground, DC 5 Balance to Run or Charge, +2 to Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, DC 15 Balance to Run or Charge, +7 to Tumble DCs


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,cc,,,.,,,,,,
,,,cc,....,,,,,
,,cc........,,,
,,cc.2G....,,,,
,,,.MSZD.cc,,,,
,,,..J...cc,,,,
,,,,....cc,,,,,
,,,,,,,,cc,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:20, Wed 20 June 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1664 posts
 White Mage
Tue 19 Jun 2012
at 04:15
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Would say more but I can't talk while casting a spell.

"Don't let them touch you! One of you two beefy guys use this, magic weapons sometimes hurt them!"

Zeig drops his Sahuagin staff (+1/+1 quarterstaff) onto the mound of mud he stands on, then moves south 5' and lets loose a wave of positive energy, tearing through the undead spirits.
00:14, Today: ZEIG rolled 10 using 1d8+5. Harm damage.
Harm - Will DC 15 or instant death to undead, Caster Level 7th
MP: 60/67

GM Edit-
Harm is one of those spells where caster level really matters, so be sure to include it. I can't remember which two feats you took to up your CL because I'm old and have a lot of brain damage from drinking.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:14, Tue 19 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3845 posts
Tue 19 Jun 2012
at 20:28
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Parts of the apparition closest to the party dissolve. The other north of the party is also affected, and it looks reanimated.

ZEIG's staff is now on the ground in the blank spot in the middle of the party.

The chocobos erupt into action, scattering in different directions. Two of them slip and fall into the water as they're running away, getting up and squawking madly. The other two make it a fair bit of distance into the swamp.

MILO follows suit, jumping off of the mound of mud and into the water in an attempt to leave. He slips and falls, then gets up while thrashing around. The apparition #2 ignores him as he runs away from it.
15:25, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 7 using 1d20+3. MILO DC 15 Balance.

Round 2:
23: Gurlop   - Panicked, 30' above ground, 240' east
18: ZEIG
15: Chocobos - Panicked
14: MILO     - Panicked
14: JAGA     - Focus (x1)
11: DAI
11: SILI
11: #1
11: Garus    - Combat Expertise (+5)
11: #2


. = muddy ground, DC 5 Balance to Run or Charge, +2 to Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, DC 15 Balance to Run or Charge, +7 to Tumble DCs


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,cc,,,,,,,,,,,
,,cc,,,,.,,,,,,
,,,,,,....,,,,,
,,,,........,,,
,,,..2G....,,,,
,,M..S.D...,,,,
,,,..JZ...,,,,,
,,,,.....,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,cc,,,,
,,,,,,,,,cc,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:20, Wed 20 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3846 posts
Tue 19 Jun 2012
at 20:59
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Taking JAGA's action as received in text message.
JAGA continues to maintain his focus for a moment, then steps into the square where ZEIG was and picks up the staff.

The apparition attempts to strike him as he does this, but JAGA deftly spins around, evading the gnarled and deformed hand.
15:55, Today: teslas rolled 23 using 1d20+5. #2 AoO vs. JAGA.

JAGA is now holding two quarterstaves, one in each hand, and probably looks really awesome.

Round 2:
23: Gurlop   - Panicked, 30' above ground, 240' east
18: ZEIG
15: Chocobos - Panicked
14: MILO     - Panicked
14: JAGA     - Focus (x2, +6 AC)
11: DAI
11: SILI
11: #1
11: Garus    - Combat Expertise (+5)
11: #2


. = muddy ground, DC 5 Balance to Run or Charge, +2 to Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, DC 15 Balance to Run or Charge, +7 to Tumble DCs


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,cc,,,,,,,,,,,
,,cc,,,,.,,,,,,
,,,,,,....,,,,,
,,,,........,,,
,,,..2G....,,,,
,,M..SJD...,,,,
,,,...Z...,,,,,
,,,,.....,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,cc,,,,
,,,,,,,,,cc,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:20, Wed 20 June 2012.

DAI
 player, 2018 posts
Tue 19 Jun 2012
at 22:37
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
DAI mumbles something under his breath about how unsatisfactory roasting ghosts was, before tapping into the latent magical energies around him(Manafont) and reaching for his underused wand, giving it a flick as his eyes seemed to focus in on the nearest Wraith. "Careful! If you're killed by one of these you get turned into one, and try not to get touched by one if you can."

15:34, Today: DAI rolled 10 using 1d20. 12-14 conserve MP.
I decided to just use my wand of Lock this round, so next round when I use Fire II I'll just assume I failed the conserve MP check


OOC: Note that for this, or other incorporeal fights, that Ice Armor is replaced with the Wind one, as it gives a(minor) deflection bonus to AC, since Ice Armor wouldn't do crap against incorporeal touch attacks.
teslas
 GM, 3850 posts
Wed 20 Jun 2012
at 01:49
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
11: SILI
SILI
 player, 1685 posts
Wed 20 Jun 2012
at 13:56
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Sili takes a 5 ft. step down-left, and sings Virelai at ghost 2.

09:53, Today: SILI rolled 26 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 13. Perfom (Vocal) (Virelei on Ghost 2).

26/3 = 8, 4th level song, DC 17 Will save or
Target will no longer willingly harm anyone the bard considers an ally.

teslas
 GM, 3851 posts
Wed 20 Jun 2012
at 18:05
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
#1 comes streaking toward DAI with its spectral hand making a board sweeping strike.
12:39, Today: teslas rolled 23 using 1d20+8. #1 charge vs. DAI.
DAI feels as if a sizable piece of his soul has been ripped out as it passes through him, from shoulder to waist.
12:39, Today: teslas rolled 6 using 1d8. #1 damage.
DAI suffers two negative levels.


13:29, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 16 using 1d20+8. Know (religion) #1.

Taking Garus' action based on his instructions (which were pretty inclusive and descriptive).
Garus yells out to #1 while essentially gesturing toward #2 with his weapon.
Provoke on #1. Full defensive fighting suite of options on #2.
[Paraphrasing] He asks for DAI to drop or hand him the magical shortsword at his earliest convenience.

The figure turns from DAI and faces Garus. Its mouth opens as if it were screaming in rage, but makes no sound.

The hooded apparition #2 stands (floats) there. Its head swivels around slowly until its face, if it weren't clogged from view with spectral mud, is pointed directly at SILI.

Gurlop flies off into the distance. The rain obscures all sight of him.
He's gone for now. Finding him again, or rather more likely, him finding you, should not be an issue.

Round 3:
18: ZEIG
15: Chocobos - Panicked
14: MILO     - Panicked
14: JAGA     - Focus (x2, +6 AC)
11: DAI
11: SILI
11: #1       - Berserk, Charged (-2 AC)
11: Garus    - Combat Expertise (+5), Fighting Defensively (+2 AC)
11: #2       - Virelai, Holding Action


. = muddy ground, DC 5 Balance to Run or Charge, +2 to Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, DC 15 Balance to Run or Charge, +7 to Tumble DCs


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,cc,,,,,,,,,,,
,,cc,,,,.,,,,,,
,,,,,,....,,,,,
,,,,........,,,
,,,..2G.1..,,,,
,,M..SJD...,,,,
,,,...Z...,,,,,
,,,,.....,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,cc,,,,
,,,,,,,,,cc,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:46, Fri 22 June 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1665 posts
 White Mage
Wed 20 Jun 2012
at 18:53
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Zeig blankets the party in a soothing light, closing Dai's wounds. The light lingers on Garus, bolstering him against dark energy.
14:46, Today: ZEIG rolled 14 using 1d8+9. Heal.
Heal on the party. Dark Ward on Garus for 2 rounds.
Dark Ward - Immunity to Death spells, death effects, energy drain, and gain dark resistance 16 (not sure on the number, the pdf doesn't say although I think it was 10 + spell level + CHA bonus).

MP: 57/67
teslas
 GM, 3852 posts
Wed 20 Jun 2012
at 19:07
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
The four chocobos continue to make all sorts of ruckus as they splash away. The two that fell stand back up and attempt to slow down in order to make better progress. Both of the chocobos in the distance finally slip and fall. It looks as if one has found a deep hole, as its ass is pointed upward with head nowhere to be seen--like a duck on a pond.
The chocobos will continue to do this for several rounds until they are scattered in different directions.

MILO continues to head west, also slowing down a bit in order to make safer progress. The normally fearless and ferocious canine continues to whine and run like a small puppy with its tail caught in a mousetrap.
Like Gurlop, finding him, or him finding you, should not be difficult.

Round 3:
18: ZEIG
14: JAGA     - Focus (x2)
11: DAI
11: SILI
11: #1       - Berserk, Charged (-2 AC)
11: Garus    - Combat Expertise (+5), Fighting Defensively (+2 AC), Dark Ward
11: #2       - Holding Action


. = muddy ground, DC 5 Balance to Run or Charge, +2 to Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, DC 15 Balance to Run or Charge, +7 to Tumble DCs


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,
,,,,,,....,,,,,
,,,,........,,,
,,,..2G.1..,,,,
,,,..SJD...,,,,
,,,...Z...,,,,,
,,,,.....,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:46, Fri 22 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3854 posts
Thu 21 Jun 2012
at 02:00
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Following instructions received in text message.
JAGA drops the power staff and grips ZEIG's in both hands as he takes a step to the northeast. He gives it his best shot at hitting one out of the park, but the weapon passes through the apparition #1 to no effect.
20:59, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 5 using 1d100. 50% incorporeal miss chance.

Round 3:
18: ZEIG
14: JAGA
11: DAI
11: SILI
11: #1       - Berserk, Charged (-2 AC)
11: Garus    - Combat Expertise (+5), Fighting Defensively (+2 AC), Dark Ward
11: #2       - Holding Action


. = muddy ground, DC 5 Balance to Run or Charge, +2 to Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, DC 15 Balance to Run or Charge, +7 to Tumble DCs


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,
,,,,,,....,,,,,
,,,,........,,,
,,,..2GJ1..,,,,
,,,..S.D...,,,,
,,,...Z...,,,,,
,,,,.....,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:47, Fri 22 June 2012.

DAI
 player, 2020 posts
Thu 21 Jun 2012
at 07:52
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
DAI drops the magical shortsword, before stepping South 5ft, and firing off a magically guided ray of fire at the first apparition. "Careful! That one isn't a Wraith...not sure what it is though."

00:52, Today: DAI rolled 2 using 1d4. Dazzle duration(R20 negates), x2 penalty.
00:51, Today: DAI rolled 46 using 5d12+16. Damage(-2 CL negative levels, +2 day).
00:50, Today: DAI rolled 66 using 1d100. Incorporeal miss chance.
00:50, Today: DAI rolled 37 using 1d20+24. Fire II(RTA)(PBS) vs #1.

MP 33/58
teslas
 GM, 3855 posts
Thu 21 Jun 2012
at 09:04
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
DAI takes a step back and coats the apparition in fire. It makes no noise as it flails around and dissipates into nothingness.

Round 3:
18: ZEIG
14: JAGA
11: DAI      - Manafont
11: SILI
11: Garus    - Combat Expertise (+5), Fighting Defensively (+2 AC), Dark Ward
11: #2       - Holding Action


. = muddy ground, DC 5 Balance to Run or Charge, +2 to Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, DC 15 Balance to Run or Charge, +7 to Tumble DCs
| = square containing magical shortsword lying on the ground


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,
,,,,,,....,,,,,
,,,,........,,,
,,,..2GJ...,,,,
,,,..S.|...,,,,
,,,...ZD..,,,,,
,,,,.....,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:47, Fri 22 June 2012.

SILI
 player, 1686 posts
Thu 21 Jun 2012
at 21:04
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Sili concentrates on Virelai and takes a 5 ft. step down, doing nothing else.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:06, Thu 21 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3858 posts
Fri 22 Jun 2012
at 01:55
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Immediately after SILI steps away, the ghost follows suit and swings its mishapen hand at his chest.
20:51, Today: teslas rolled 17 using 1d20+5. #2 vs. SILI.
20:52, Today: teslas rolled 1 using 1d4. #2 damage.

20:53, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 22 using 1d20+4. Fortitude vs. Con drain.
It passes through and feels as if it's pulling on something inside of him, but it can't quite manage to quite wrest it out of SILI's body.

Round 3:
18: ZEIG
14: JAGA
11: DAI   - Manafont
11: SILI
11: #2
11: Garus - Dark Ward


. = muddy ground, DC 5 Balance to Run or Charge, +2 to Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, DC 15 Balance to Run or Charge, +7 to Tumble DCs
| = square containing magical shortsword lying on the ground


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,
,,,,,,....,,,,,
,,,,........,,,
,,,...GJ...,,,,
,,,..2.|...,,,,
,,,..SZD..,,,,,
,,,,.....,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:05, Fri 22 June 2012.

Garus
 player, 50 posts
Fri 22 Jun 2012
at 21:04
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Garus does another ineffectual swing at the ghost shoring us his defenses as he shifts into the square that Dia Dai dropped the magic shortsword dropping his trident and picking up the shortsword, "Stay close I'll cover you from this thing."

GM Edit-
Stuff.

This message had punctuation tweaked by the GM at 21:05, Fri 22 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3860 posts
Fri 22 Jun 2012
at 21:07
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Round 4:
18: ZEIG
14: JAGA
11: DAI   - Manafont
11: SILI
11: #2
11: Garus - Combat Expertise (+5), Fighting Defensively (+2 AC), Dark Ward


. = muddy ground, DC 5 Balance to Run or Charge, +2 to Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, DC 15 Balance to Run or Charge, +7 to Tumble DCs


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,
,,,,,,....,,,,,
,,,,........,,,
,,,....J...,,,,
,,,..2.G...,,,,
,,,..SZD..,,,,,
,,,,.....,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:07, Fri 22 June 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1666 posts
 White Mage
Sat 23 Jun 2012
at 05:08
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Zeig takes a step to the southeast and unleashes another wave of positive energy at the target, this time pouring additional energy into the attack, his eyes glowing a bright blue.
Harm - Divine Seal, CL 7, DC 17 Will
01:07, Today: ZEIG rolled 7 using 1d8+5. Harm - Divine Seal (+ 25% after roll).
MP: 56/67
I think the Divine Seal modifier comes into play before weakness, so 8 damage before weakness if it has any.
teslas
 GM, 3861 posts
Sat 23 Jun 2012
at 05:36
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
More pieces of the apparition dissipate into darkness, then emptiness.

Round 4:
18: ZEIG
14: JAGA
11: DAI   - Manafont
11: SILI
11: #2
11: Garus - Combat Expertise (+5), Fighting Defensively (+2 AC)


. = muddy ground, DC 5 Balance to Run or Charge, +2 to Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, DC 15 Balance to Run or Charge, +7 to Tumble DCs


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,
,,,,,,....,,,,,
,,,,........,,,
,,,....J...,,,,
,,,..2.G...,,,,
,,,..S.D..,,,,,
,,,,...Z.,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 05:56, Sat 23 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3863 posts
Mon 25 Jun 2012
at 22:38
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
As instructed through PM.
JAGA takes a step to the west and tries to slam ZEIG's staff into the apparition again to no effect.
17:37, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 4 using 1d100. incorporeal miss chance.

Round 4:
18: ZEIG
14: JAGA
11: DAI   - Manafont
11: SILI
11: #2
11: Garus - Combat Expertise (+5), Fighting Defensively (+2 AC)


. = muddy ground, DC 5 Balance to Run or Charge, +2 to Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, DC 15 Balance to Run or Charge, +7 to Tumble DCs


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,
,,,,,,....,,,,,
,,,,........,,,
,,,...J....,,,,
,,,..2.G...,,,,
,,,..S.D..,,,,,
,,,,...Z.,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DAI
 player, 2022 posts
Mon 25 Jun 2012
at 23:08
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
DAI 5ft steps up and right to stand behind(right of) Garus, and taps into his wand's magic once more.

OOC: I rolled it last time, but Lock doesn't do anything for Incorporeal miss chance, does it? Just mundane stuff like lighting and cover.
teslas
 GM, 3866 posts
Mon 25 Jun 2012
at 23:38
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Round 4:
18: ZEIG
14: JAGA
11: DAI   - Lock, Manafont
11: SILI
11: #2
11: Garus


. = muddy ground, DC 5 Balance to Run or Charge, +2 to Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, DC 15 Balance to Run or Charge, +7 to Tumble DCs


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,
,,,,,,....,,,,,
,,,,........,,,
,,,...J....,,,,
,,,..2.GD..,,,,
,,,..S....,,,,,
,,,,...Z.,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:17, Wed 27 June 2012.

SILI
 player, 1689 posts
Tue 26 Jun 2012
at 04:05
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
After moving 5 ft. down-right, Sili begins his song again.

00:02, Today: SILI rolled 31 using 1d20+13 with rolls of 18. Perform (Vocal) (Virelai on Wraith 2).

31/3=10, 10th caster level, 5th level song, DC 18 Will Save or

DC 15: Target will no longer willingly harm anyone the Bard considers an ally.
DC 30: Target will attack enemies of the Bard.


Does Dai count as my enemy?

teslas
 GM, 3871 posts
Wed 27 Jun 2012
at 03:40
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
The wraith seems to ignore SILI's song before it lurches forward at him again.
20:12, Today: teslas rolled 3 using 1d6. Con drain.
20:12, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 13 using 1d20+4. Fortitude vs. Con drain.
20:11, Today: teslas rolled 3 using 1d4. damage.
20:11, Today: teslas rolled 18 using 1d20+5. #2 attack vs. SILI.

This time, he does feel the wraith pull out a chunk of something intangible but vital.

Round 4:
18: ZEIG
14: JAGA
11: DAI   - Lock, Manafont
11: SILI
11: #2
11: Garus


. = muddy ground, DC 5 Balance to Run or Charge, +2 to Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, DC 15 Balance to Run or Charge, +7 to Tumble DCs


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,
,,,,,,....,,,,,
,,,,........,,,
,,,...J....,,,,
,,,....GD..,,,,
,,,..2....,,,,,
,,,,..SZ.,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 04:20, Wed 27 June 2012.

Garus
 player, 51 posts
Wed 27 Jun 2012
at 21:44
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"Sili get right behind me." Garus yells as he steps south west so he is next to Sili the ghost and Zieg. Taking a moderatly defensive swing at the ghost. Keeping his body between the ghost and his allies.

OOC: Shifting one square the the southwest. Making a full attack with full combat expertise at the ghost. Ready to cover anyone who is attacked adjacent to me.

17:42, Today: Garus rolled 1 using 1d100. Miss chance 2nd attack.
17:42, Today: Garus rolled 69 using 1d100. Miss chance first attack.
17:41, Today: Garus rolled 4 using 1d20-1. 2nd attack.
17:41, Today: Garus rolled 11 using 1d20+4. First attack.

This message was last edited by the player at 23:32, Wed 27 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3876 posts
Thu 28 Jun 2012
at 01:05
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Both of Garus' attacks miss, though the apparition does take note and backs away slightly.

Round 5
18: ZEIG

Be aware that Garus has moved 5' SW.
ZEIG
 player, 1668 posts
 White Mage
Thu 28 Jun 2012
at 01:18
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Zeig moves 5' to the east and begins casting a spell on Sili.
Restore - Full round spell
MP: 53/67
teslas
 GM, 3879 posts
Thu 28 Jun 2012
at 03:34
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
ZEIG's spell doesn't feel like it does much of anything for SILI, apart from reduce the fatigue in his thighs from riding for the previous four hours.

Round 5:
18: ZEIG
14: JAGA
11: DAI   - Lock, Manafont
11: SILI
11: #2
11: Garus - Combat Expertise (5), Fighting Defensively (+2 AC)


. = muddy ground, DC 5 Balance to Run or Charge, +2 to Tumble DCs
, = 1' deep water, DC 15 Balance to Run or Charge, +7 to Tumble DCs


The party has come across spots where the water suddenly gets very deep, as if there was a 3'-6' wide hole. Such a situation is a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid falling prone (and underwater) and is impossible to spot due to the opaque water.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,.,,,,,,
,,,,,,....,,,,,
,,,,........,,,
,,,...J....,,,,
,,,.....D..,,,,
,,,..2G...,,,,,
,,,,..S.Z,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 03:35, Thu 28 June 2012.

JAGA
 player, 56 posts
Thu 28 Jun 2012
at 11:47
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Jaga, his last few attacks being as useful as they were, decides to take a small break from all the damage he's been doing.

Aid another to help Garus after moving around the ghost into a flanking position.

07:45, Today: JAGA rolled 19 using 1d20+11. aid another vs AC 10.

This message was last edited by the player at 11:50, Thu 28 June 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3881 posts
Thu 28 Jun 2012
at 12:22
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
That works. JAGA is now to the direct west of #2.

Garus gains +2 on his next attack roll against #2, barring obvious things that would mess that up.


11: DAI
DAI
 player, 2034 posts
Thu 28 Jun 2012
at 12:30
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
DAI seeing JAGA and Garus flanking the beast almost considers letting them handle it, but he had already used his wand and he was not one to be wasteful- so he stepped a bit to line up his shot, and decided to let another blast of fire try and burn the thing to...re-death, or something.

5ft step up-left
05:28, Today: DAI rolled 3 using 1d4. Dazzle duration, doubled penalties, R20.
05:27, Today: DAI rolled 46 using 5d12+18. Damage(PBS)(Firesday*2).
05:27, Today: DAI rolled 59 using 1d100. 1-50 miss.
05:27, Today: DAI rolled 32 using 1d20+26. Fire II(RTA)(PBS)(Lock) vs 2.

05:28, Today: DAI rolled 3 using 1d4. Woot.
05:28, Today: DAI rolled 12 using 1d20. 10-12 conserve MP.
And thanks to Manafont and that it only cost me 1 MP(manafont made it 4, this made it 1)
MP 32/58

teslas
 GM, 3882 posts
Thu 28 Jun 2012
at 12:44
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
The second apparition burns out like a loose grouping of thin, dry paper floating in the air.

The rain continues to pour. Straining, you think you can still hear the four chocobos and MILO splashing away in the distance. Gurlop is nowhere to be seen.

SILI, calming down after the quick exchange, feels as if he's some kind of combination of malnourished, cold, and frail. Potentially, DAI may feel even worse as his focus from performing manafont wanes.

Everyone gains 480 EXP for overcoming the encounter.

Bonus EXP will be determined and reported when I'm not scrambling to try and get ready for a day of conference calls that starts in one hour.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:45, Thu 28 June 2012.

DAI
 player, 2035 posts
Thu 28 Jun 2012
at 12:46
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
DAI heaves a heavy sigh, before looking at Garus and Sili. "So then...you two happen to know how to call your pets back?" DAI wasn't feeling too good, but figured he could handle another batch of chocobos easily enough, and he still had some tents he could use.
ZEIG
 player, 1670 posts
 White Mage
Fri 29 Jun 2012
at 05:12
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"Those undead are very dangerous. Both of you have been weakened. I have a potion that should fix you up, but only one of you. You should take it Sili, I think I can help out Dai later."

Zeig hands Sili his potion of Restore II.

Dai gets a saving throw to regain his levels everyday which I can enhance via Bless. Sili won't get another chance to recover from energy drain without magic assistance, so I'm handing him the potion.

You don't need to roll anything, it just works.

JAGA
 player, 65 posts
Fri 29 Jun 2012
at 13:14
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"Ok, that was terrifying"

Jaga picks his staff up out of the mud and returns the magic one to its proper owner.

"Giant scorpions and now swamp ghosts....was I safer in the Drow castle?"
teslas
 GM, 3889 posts
Sat 30 Jun 2012
at 16:33
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
The splashing of the chocobos in the distance can no longer be heard over the constant sound of rainfall.

MILO barks a few times from where he's apparently stopped, well out of sight. From the muted sound of it he had covered a good bit of swamp.

There is no indication of Gurlop, though Garus suspects he'll circle around in the next five to fifteen minutes.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:34, Sat 30 June 2012.

SILI
 player, 1693 posts
Sat 30 Jun 2012
at 21:18
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"Thanks for the potion. I'm beginning to dislike ghosts." Sili swigs the bottle. "And I know what you mean." He says to Jaga. He calls out for Milo to come back.
ZEIG
 player, 1671 posts
 White Mage
Sat 30 Jun 2012
at 21:28
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"I don't think wine is going to taste much good after this trip, might have to move on to something hard."

Zeig accepts the staff and starts to move on towards the sound of milo.

"Any chance we could get some more birds, Dai?"
teslas
 GM, 3890 posts
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 15:06
Re: 1:32pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
The potion immediately relieves SILI's internal desolation. Moreover, he feels as if he had just woken up from a solid night's sleep, and probably will for the next hour or so.

MILO barks in reply to his master's call and it's not long until you can hear him splashing toward the group of you.

ZEIG wades out into the water a little bit, but still can't get sight of him.

DAI remains weakened, but takes comfort in the fact that both he and ZEIG are fairly certain the effect is only temporary, though how temporary is yet to be seen.

There's still no sign of Gurlop, but barely any time has passed.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:09, Sun 01 July 2012.

DAI
 player, 2037 posts
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 18:23
Re: 1:32pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
DAI sighed a bit, looking around. "Well we should probably set up camp, I'm using a tent tonight for sure." He then looked to the others, waiting for a confirmation or refusal.
ZEIG
 player, 1672 posts
 White Mage
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 18:26
Re: 1:32pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"It's only 1:30PM and I'd rather not camp in an area where restless spirits have been spotted, especially since we know that some of them reform every day unless their spirit is brought to rest and moves on."
JAGA
 player, 67 posts
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 18:35
Re: 1:32pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"I agree with ZEIG. It's not a good idea to stop here. We should try and get out of this swamp."
DAI
 player, 2038 posts
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 18:36
Re: 1:32pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
OOC: Sorry, thought that battle was near the end of our day of travel, and I didn't think to read the header

DAI looks up and sees that, while there is still quite a bit of fog, the sun was up- this place was doing wonders(terrible ones) for his sense of time. He agreed that setting up camp HERE was a bad idea, but they should get Gurlop back before moving on anyways.
Garus
 player, 53 posts
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 21:58
Re: 1:32pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Garus looks to the sky and makes a grunt in gaint at the top of his lungs [Language unknown:  "Thetheame Ur olnc"]

The half gaint watches the skies awaiting the return of his feathered friend. "We should keep moving. I trust gurlop will find his way back. He usually does."
teslas
 GM, 3892 posts
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 12:10
Re: 8:00pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
DAI produces four new chocobos for everyone, Garus's being green.
06:13, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 4 using 1d20. Conserve MP.
MP 27/58

MILO splashes his way back up to the group.

Everyone, save Gurlop, sets off, and a little less than ten minutes later a familiar shriek can be heard behind the party where the small mound was. Garus calls out, and not long after that, a wet and flustered Gurlop is preening himself on the back of Garus's chocobo.

The rest of the day is uneventful. Constant sludging and trudging through the mud drains most everyone's spirit for conversation. DAI's not sure if he's feeling ever so slightly better or if he's getting used to his new, diminished state.

The party finds another raised patch of ground on which to camp about thirty minutes before they'd have to stop anyway, and decide it's probably best to stay here for the night. At around 7pm the clouds grow a bit less dark and the rain stops. Despite this, the sun never makes an appearance, and it never brightens any before nightfall.

MILO begins to whimper and lick his paws shortly after camp is settled.

DAI uses a magical tent, which is a welcome sight to everyone. A campfire is pulled from the survival pouch, making camp especially dry this night. Everyone removes their shoes and sets them next to the fire to dry out. JAGA notices a bit of mold growing on his. SILI and ZEIG, seeing that, check MILO's paws. In between his toes it is raw and oozing with puss and fluid. Mold is growing in his hair and on his skin from the knee down. Everyone else was on top of a chocobo for the majority of the trip, and that appears to have saved them from it.

06:55, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 20 using 1d20+6. Heal, Foot (paw) fungus?
Survival would have also worked with a small penalty, but ZEIG nailed it so I didn't roll for anyone.
ZEIG recognizes it as foot-rot. It is an especially virulent fungus that, if left untreated, can cause the foot to bleed continuously if walked upon or used. It can also, in extreme cases, poison and diminish the joints of the legs and feet. It takes about a day to set in once contracted.
In D&D terms this is a disease.

JAGA seems to be doing just fine, and the campfire kills all of the fungus growing on his worn and holey slave's shoes.

Alchemy and actions before/during the night?

Everyone's best guess is that you are now 10 miles into the swamp. It will be another five days before you need to choose which entrance you attempt to take into the underdark.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:24, Tue 03 July 2012.

JAGA
 player, 68 posts
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 13:33
Re: 8:00pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"So, does anyone actually want to tell me what it is We are doing in this swamp? So far I'm just following because I honestly have nowhere else to go."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:35, Tue 03 July 2012.

SILI
 player, 1694 posts
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 13:54
Re: 8:00pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Sili is far too busy to listen to slave-boy.

"Zeig, can you help Milo?"
ZEIG
 player, 1673 posts
 White Mage
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 15:33
Re: 8:00pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"You mean aside from saving the elven king from the curse of the Drow Prince Astos? We talked about it a while back, though I guess you wouldn't know, Garus."

To save time I quote: