Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #3.   Posted by teslas.Group: 0
JAGA
 player, 65 posts
Fri 29 Jun 2012
at 13:14
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"Ok, that was terrifying"

Jaga picks his staff up out of the mud and returns the magic one to its proper owner.

"Giant scorpions and now swamp ghosts....was I safer in the Drow castle?"
teslas
 GM, 3889 posts
Sat 30 Jun 2012
at 16:33
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
The splashing of the chocobos in the distance can no longer be heard over the constant sound of rainfall.

MILO barks a few times from where he's apparently stopped, well out of sight. From the muted sound of it he had covered a good bit of swamp.

There is no indication of Gurlop, though Garus suspects he'll circle around in the next five to fifteen minutes.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:34, Sat 30 June 2012.

SILI
 player, 1693 posts
Sat 30 Jun 2012
at 21:18
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"Thanks for the potion. I'm beginning to dislike ghosts." Sili swigs the bottle. "And I know what you mean." He says to Jaga. He calls out for Milo to come back.
ZEIG
 player, 1671 posts
 White Mage
Sat 30 Jun 2012
at 21:28
Re: 1:30pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"I don't think wine is going to taste much good after this trip, might have to move on to something hard."

Zeig accepts the staff and starts to move on towards the sound of milo.

"Any chance we could get some more birds, Dai?"
teslas
 GM, 3890 posts
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 15:06
Re: 1:32pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
The potion immediately relieves SILI's internal desolation. Moreover, he feels as if he had just woken up from a solid night's sleep, and probably will for the next hour or so.

MILO barks in reply to his master's call and it's not long until you can hear him splashing toward the group of you.

ZEIG wades out into the water a little bit, but still can't get sight of him.

DAI remains weakened, but takes comfort in the fact that both he and ZEIG are fairly certain the effect is only temporary, though how temporary is yet to be seen.

There's still no sign of Gurlop, but barely any time has passed.

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:09, Sun 01 July 2012.

DAI
 player, 2037 posts
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 18:23
Re: 1:32pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
DAI sighed a bit, looking around. "Well we should probably set up camp, I'm using a tent tonight for sure." He then looked to the others, waiting for a confirmation or refusal.
ZEIG
 player, 1672 posts
 White Mage
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 18:26
Re: 1:32pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"It's only 1:30PM and I'd rather not camp in an area where restless spirits have been spotted, especially since we know that some of them reform every day unless their spirit is brought to rest and moves on."
JAGA
 player, 67 posts
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 18:35
Re: 1:32pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"I agree with ZEIG. It's not a good idea to stop here. We should try and get out of this swamp."
DAI
 player, 2038 posts
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 18:36
Re: 1:32pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
OOC: Sorry, thought that battle was near the end of our day of travel, and I didn't think to read the header

DAI looks up and sees that, while there is still quite a bit of fog, the sun was up- this place was doing wonders(terrible ones) for his sense of time. He agreed that setting up camp HERE was a bad idea, but they should get Gurlop back before moving on anyways.
Garus
 player, 53 posts
Sun 1 Jul 2012
at 21:58
Re: 1:32pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Garus looks to the sky and makes a grunt in gaint at the top of his lungs [Language unknown:  "Earareill Espa as"]

The half gaint watches the skies awaiting the return of his feathered friend. "We should keep moving. I trust gurlop will find his way back. He usually does."
teslas
 GM, 3892 posts
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 12:10
Re: 8:00pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
DAI produces four new chocobos for everyone, Garus's being green.
06:13, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 4 using 1d20. Conserve MP.
MP 27/58

MILO splashes his way back up to the group.

Everyone, save Gurlop, sets off, and a little less than ten minutes later a familiar shriek can be heard behind the party where the small mound was. Garus calls out, and not long after that, a wet and flustered Gurlop is preening himself on the back of Garus's chocobo.

The rest of the day is uneventful. Constant sludging and trudging through the mud drains most everyone's spirit for conversation. DAI's not sure if he's feeling ever so slightly better or if he's getting used to his new, diminished state.

The party finds another raised patch of ground on which to camp about thirty minutes before they'd have to stop anyway, and decide it's probably best to stay here for the night. At around 7pm the clouds grow a bit less dark and the rain stops. Despite this, the sun never makes an appearance, and it never brightens any before nightfall.

MILO begins to whimper and lick his paws shortly after camp is settled.

DAI uses a magical tent, which is a welcome sight to everyone. A campfire is pulled from the survival pouch, making camp especially dry this night. Everyone removes their shoes and sets them next to the fire to dry out. JAGA notices a bit of mold growing on his. SILI and ZEIG, seeing that, check MILO's paws. In between his toes it is raw and oozing with puss and fluid. Mold is growing in his hair and on his skin from the knee down. Everyone else was on top of a chocobo for the majority of the trip, and that appears to have saved them from it.

06:55, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 20 using 1d20+6. Heal, Foot (paw) fungus?
Survival would have also worked with a small penalty, but ZEIG nailed it so I didn't roll for anyone.
ZEIG recognizes it as foot-rot. It is an especially virulent fungus that, if left untreated, can cause the foot to bleed continuously if walked upon or used. It can also, in extreme cases, poison and diminish the joints of the legs and feet. It takes about a day to set in once contracted.
In D&D terms this is a disease.

JAGA seems to be doing just fine, and the campfire kills all of the fungus growing on his worn and holey slave's shoes.

Alchemy and actions before/during the night?

Everyone's best guess is that you are now 10 miles into the swamp. It will be another five days before you need to choose which entrance you attempt to take into the underdark.

This message was last edited by the GM at 12:24, Tue 03 July 2012.

JAGA
 player, 68 posts
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 13:33
Re: 8:00pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"So, does anyone actually want to tell me what it is We are doing in this swamp? So far I'm just following because I honestly have nowhere else to go."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:35, Tue 03 July 2012.

SILI
 player, 1694 posts
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 13:54
Re: 8:00pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Sili is far too busy to listen to slave-boy.

"Zeig, can you help Milo?"
ZEIG
 player, 1673 posts
 White Mage
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 15:33
Re: 8:00pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
"You mean aside from saving the elven king from the curse of the Drow Prince Astos? We talked about it a while back, though I guess you wouldn't know, Garus."

To save time I quote:

Msg #576 ZEIG:
"Damn birds."

Zeig begins walking along the intended path to the south, taking jumping off a cliff and being chased by giant hawks in stride.

"We are traveling to free the elven king from the curse of the drow prince Astos. Once we complete this, we will be able to attain a key that will allow us to travel to the western land of Melmond. Once we are there we can begin our investigation as to the strange fluctuation in the primal elements in nature."

"I don't know if you are aware of this, but when we found you you were a stone statue. It is currently Lightsday in the 8th week of the year 852 according to the Cornelian calendar. Does this mean anything to you? I feel a great deal of time may have passed since you last drew breath. Take a moment and gather your thoughts."


Zeig is compassionate while addressing their new friend but does not dance around the issue at hand.


Msg #577 JAGA:
Glossing over a whole lot of exposition, since this really isn't a heavy roleplay game.

"Well then looks like I have no where to go." Jaga said accepting the ring and amulet. "You have my skills if you need them."

Oh the humanity. There is a whole lot of emotion and stuff.


"Well, we need to get a crown away from the awful monsters that live down here and give it back to Vestus for him to break the curse. He's holding something back, but we don't have many options available to us."

Zeig looks thoughtfully at Milo's paws.

"I won't be able to do anything about this for a few days yet, when my magic is at its strongest. We should bandage them though, if he will let me. Hopefully this will pad against some of the pain and slow the infection."

Zeig rips up his makeshift headband made from elven textiles and attempts to wrap Milo's paws with it.

Zeig will cast Cure with Bless on Dai when it is time to make his save for energy drain.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:34, Tue 03 July 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1675 posts
 White Mage
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 15:45
Re: 8:00pm Firesday, 10th week 852s
Zeig will spend his night working away on some cure potions.
11:44, Today: ZEIG rolled 22 using 1d20+14. craft (alch) - cure potion 1.
11:45, Today: ZEIG rolled 22 using 1d20+14. craft (alch) - cure potion 2.

That's 9 cure potions in my inventory now, 1 of them is CL2. They are all up for grabs.

This message was last edited by the player at 15:46, Tue 03 July 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3896 posts
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 16:18
Re: 8:00am Earthsday, 10th week 852s
MILO lets ZEIG bandage up his paws, though the process is obviously unpleasant for him. From what ZEIG knows, the infection won't have fully set in until the morning when they begin moving again.

The night passes without incident. Between SILI's enchanting music and the tent, everyone except DAI and MILO are feeling remarkably well considering their surroundings.

MILO has suffered from the effects of his disease. You can treat him after you make camp tonight to help him tomorrow. You could even cure his ability score damage right now before you set off if you like.

The slight reduction in clouds and the break in rainfall allows the group's survivalist to come to a consensus on the weather for the next two or three days.
11:01, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 13 using 1d20+6. assist.
11:01, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 15 using 1d20+3. assist.
11:01, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 21 using 1d20+7. weather prediction (earthsday).


Earthsday :
Heavily overcast but no precipitation.
Watersday : Rain, Lots of rain.
Windsday  : Cloudy, possible breaks for a little bit of sunlight.

DAI summons chocobos, and the party is delighted to confirm the prediction that the rain does not begin again. MILO, while obviously in pain, has no problem keeping up.

At around 10:30am, just a couple of hours after setting out, the party is walking through an area of water a little over a foot deep, when what you'd all assume to be, from what you've heard about them, a crocodile thrusts itself up out of the water and attempts to latch onto JAGA's leg.
11:11, Today: teslas rolled 21 using 1d20+6. #1 Bite vs. flat-footed JAGA.
11:12, Today: teslas rolled 8 using 1d8+6. #1 bite damage.

JAGA can feel it attempt to pull him downward, but the water is nowhere deep enough to cost him his footing, and he resists.
Their Improved Grab ability will not work in this water depth vs. creatures their own size.

The water thrashes about in a few other places indicating there may be more nearby, but none of you can pinpoint where exactly. The water is only deep enough for them to hide, not move about without being seen.

Water depth of 1 Foot:
One foot of water is essentially the same as fighting on land, except treat it as difficult terrain for any small-sized creatures without a swim speed and use of the Tumble skill is made impossible for small-sized creatures. Larger creatures have their tumble DCs increased by 5.

More to follow soon.

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:34, Tue 03 July 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3898 posts
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 16:30
Re: 10:30am Earthsday, 10th week 852s
Gurlop, for the purposes of this combat, will not be mentioned in any capacity unless Garus handles him. He is flying above the battlefield at the moment, and will be assumed to be doing so in any outdoor battle where possible and practical.

Your chocobos will act on your turn, but as of right now they are merely Shaken.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#shaken
This will very likely soon change.


Round 1:
20: Garus        - Mounted
16: MILO         - Flat-footed
14: JAGA         - Flat-footed
13: Crocodile(s)
12: DAI          - Flat-footed, Mounted
 9: ZEIG         - Flat-footed, Mounted
 7: Gurlop
 5: SILI         - Flat-footed, Mounted


#1,2,3,etc = crocodiles
. = water, 1' deep (see post at start of combat for details)

.....................
.....................
.....................
......DD.............
......DD...J1........
.....SS.ZZ...........
.....SS.ZZ...........
.......M..GG.........
..........GG.........
.....................
.....................
.....................

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:41, Tue 03 July 2012.

Garus
 player, 54 posts
Tue 3 Jul 2012
at 20:38
Re: 10:30am Earthsday, 10th week 852s
Garus dismounts and draws his trident as he closes with the nearest crocodile.

Dismount as my move. Use my standard to move and draw. Moving directly north for 2 squares adjacant to both Zeig and Jaga.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:47, Tue 03 July 2012.

JAGA
 player, 69 posts
Wed 4 Jul 2012
at 01:45
Re: 10:30am Earthsday, 10th week 852s
Lashing out with his feet, Jaga attempt to strike the crocodile that bit him in its unprotected eyes.



21:43, Today: JAGA rolled 28 using 1d20+10. attack 2.
21:43, Today: JAGA rolled 15 using 1d20+10. attack 1.

21:45, Today: JAGA rolled 14 using 3d6+5. damage attack 2.
21:45, Today: JAGA rolled 16 using 3d6+5. damage attack 1.

This message was last edited by the player at 01:46, Wed 04 July 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3902 posts
Wed 4 Jul 2012
at 15:47
Re: 10:30am Earthsday, 10th week 852s
MILO stays where he is, ready to strike at anything that comes within range.

JAGA bashes the crocodile in the face and nose, incapacitating it.

Another hidden crocodile #2 leaps up from the water to the southeast of the party and nearly rips the chocobo's leg out of its socket.
10:23, Today: teslas rolled 13 using 1d20+6. #2 vs. garus's chocobo.
10:24, Today: teslas rolled 11 using 1d8+6. #2 damage.


A third #3 springs out of the water and tears a chunk of flesh out of DAI's chocobo.
10:29, Today: teslas rolled 25 using 1d20+6. #3 vs. DAI's chocobo.
10:29, Today: teslas rolled 10 using 1d8+6. #3 damage.


A fourth #4 comes charging from 25' away at the other side of DAI's chocobo.
10:32, Today: teslas rolled 24 using 1d20+8. #4 charge vs. DAI's chocobo.
10:32, Today: teslas rolled 7 using 1d8+6. #4 damage.


From a similar direction, a fifth #5 charges at SILI's chocobo, this time instead slapping at it with its tail. It his the chocobo squarely in its neck, nearly knocking it unconscious.
10:34, Today: teslas rolled 18 using 1d20+8. charge tail slap vs. SILI's chocobo.
10:34, Today: teslas rolled 17 using 1d12+6. #5 damage.


Another #6 moves toward SILI and MILO. MILO tries to flip the crocodile over with his jaws.
10:37, Today: teslas rolled 24 using 1d20+6. MILO readied action vs. #6.
10:37, Today: teslas rolled 9 using 1d6+4. MILO damage.
10:37, Today: teslas rolled 7 using 1d20+3. MILO free trip.
10:38, Today: teslas rolled 17 using 1d20+4. #6 resist trip.


The crocodile stays on its feet and attempts to return the blow, but misses.
10:40, Today: teslas rolled 9 using 1d20+6. #6 bite vs. MILO.

Still another #7 springs up from the water and moves toward MILO, attempting to slap him with its tail. MILO dodges out of the way as it slaps the water and throws mud around.
10:42, Today: teslas rolled 19 using 1d20+6. #7 tail slap vs. MILO.

A final crocodile #8 pops up, moves west 20', and attempts to take down ZEIG's chocobo.
10:44, Today: teslas rolled 18 using 1d20+6. #8 bite vs. ZEIG's chocobo.
10:44, Today: teslas rolled 13 using 1d8+6. #8 damage.


Injured chocobos are panicked (all of them). You either dismount or they try to run off with you on them. Keep in mind that dismounting out of or in to a crocodile's threatened area provokes an attack of opportunity.

Round 1:
20: Garus
14: JAGA
13: MILO
13: Crocodile(s)
12: DAI          - Mounted
 9: ZEIG         - Flat-footed, Mounted
 7: Gurlop
 5: SILI         - Flat-footed, Mounted


#1,2,3,etc = crocodiles
. = water, 1' deep (see post at start of combat for details)
c = chocobo

.....................
.....................
........3............
.....4DD.............
......DD..GJ1........
.....SS.ZZ...........
....5SS.ZZ8..........
......6M..cc.........
........7.cc.........
............2........
.....................
.....................

This message was last edited by the GM at 16:00, Wed 04 July 2012.

DAI
 player, 2043 posts
Thu 5 Jul 2012
at 07:05
Re: 10:30am Earthsday, 10th week 852s
DAI actually gives something reminiscent of a sigh, looking at his Chocobos that inevitably would run off or get eaten, and he'd have to resummon. He just shakes his head, before once again tapping into the latent magical energies(activate Manafont) about them, and letting a few of the nearby Crocs roast alive.

After his Chocobo rushed and gets taken down, DAI watches some of the nearby Crocodiles die outright, and takes his time to stand up.

Using the 7 squares, can hit Crocodiles 3, 4, and 5 as the fire snakes its way around DAI and SILI's chocobos

00:04, Today: DAI rolled 3 using 1d4. Dazzle(-2) duration. R18 negates.
00:03, Today: DAI rolled 43 using 3d12+15. Fire II AoE. R18 halves.

00:04, Today: DAI rolled 2 using 1d4. MP reduction(4 base, min 1).
00:04, Today: DAI rolled 11 using 1d20. 10-12 conserve MP.
MP 39/58

This message was last edited by the player at 16:33, Thu 05 July 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3906 posts
Thu 5 Jul 2012
at 16:17
Re: 10:30am Earthsday, 10th week 852s
DAI's chocobo begins to bolt off away from the colony of crocodiles.

One of them #3 spins around and almost breaks both of the chocobo's legs. Somehow, however, most of the force is dissipated and the severely injured bird continues with its next step.
10:59, Today: teslas rolled 18 using 1d20+6. #3 AoO vs. DAI's chocobo.
11:00, Today: teslas rolled 7 using 1d12+6. #3 AoO tail damage.


The second #4 cuts the escape short with a quick snap to the chocobo's neck.
11:01, Today: teslas rolled 23 using 1d20+6. #4 AoO vs. DAI's chocobo.
11:01, Today: teslas rolled 12 using 1d8+6. #4 AoO bite damage.


DAI splashes down into the mud, rolling skillfully to avoid hurting himself.
11:03, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 23 using 1d20+7. Ride, soft fall.
The clarity of Manafont allows him to keep the spell going, despite the momentary disruption and his new prone position, half-submerged in water.

Fire dances across the surface of the water in a long line, badly scalding the three crocodiles. Two of them have nearly all of the flesh burnt from their heads, revealing their charred skulls as they float up to the surface of the shallow water. The third #5 manages to duck underwater to avoid a large portion of the punishment.

From PM with ZEIG: "I'm going to dismount in the square to the left of Garus. I'll take my action based on whatever happens after that."
ZEIG hops off of his chocobo before it begins to run away. The crocodile next to him #8 attempts to bite into his leg as he dismounts.

Garus pulls ZEIG from out of the way, ending up in the square where ZEIG would have dismounted into. The crocodile's teeth find a thick layer of steel instead of the soft and giving surface of a white mage's skin and robes.
11:12, Today: teslas rolled 18 using 1d20+6. #8 bite AoO vs. Garus.

The chocobo runs straight north, nearly knocking over ZEIG after bouncing off of Garus as it makes its escape.

Standard action remaining for ZEIG.

Round 1:
20: Garus
20: Garus's chocobo
14: JAGA
13: MILO
13: Crocodile(s)
12: DAI              - Manafont
 9: ZEIG
 7: Gurlop
 5: SILI             - Flat-footed, Mounted


#1,2,3,etc = crocodiles
. = water, 1' deep (see post at start of combat for details)
c = chocobo

.....................
.....................
.....................
.....................
.......D.GZJ1........
.....SS..............
....5SS...8..........
......6M..cc.........
........7.cc.........
............2........
.....................
.....................

This message was last edited by the GM at 15:00, Fri 06 July 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1678 posts
 White Mage
Thu 5 Jul 2012
at 16:47
Re: 10:30am Earthsday, 10th week 852s
Zeig casts Protectra on the party, blanketing them in orange light.
Protectra +3, I think it hits everyone including Sili.
MP: 61/67 or 60/67, depending on DM.

This message was last edited by the player at 16:47, Thu 05 July 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3909 posts
Thu 5 Jul 2012
at 18:48
Re: 10:30am Earthsday, 10th week 852s
Yes, it does.

5: SILI
SILI
 player, 1695 posts
Fri 6 Jul 2012
at 00:16
Re: 10:30am Earthsday, 10th week 852s
Sili isn't crazy enough to dismount in the middle of a pack of crocodiles, and allows the chocobo to carry him away. He draws his Harp and tries to get his chocobo under control once he's a ways away.

If the chocobo is killed by a croc's AoO, Sili will take a move action to get away from the crocs and closer to Garus, as well as drawing his harp.

20:15, Today: SILI rolled 23 using 1d20+10 with rolls of 13. Handle Animal.