Chapter 3-B: Across the Aldi and Into The Forgotten Deeps #3.   Posted by teslas.Group: 0
SILI
 player, 1707 posts
Tue 31 Jul 2012
at 13:32
Re: 8:30am Windsday, 10th week 852s
Sili mounts up on a yellow chocobo, starting to move forward. He keeps an eye on Milo.

Not to be nitpicky, but Sili doesn't cast spells. He sings songs. :)
teslas
 GM, 3987 posts
Tue 31 Jul 2012
at 17:48
Re: 8:30am Iceday, 10th week 852s
Let's do this.

The group mounts up and sets off. JAGA and MILO go at it on foot.

The day's goings are steady. Though it takes hours, everyone's clothing from the knees up eventually dries out. The sun even peeks out a few times, and, for the first time, the group is able to get a good measure on their progress. With their morale boosted, and a dry camp found, they end their Windsday travels.

The sun during the day seems to have calmed the swamp during the night. Nobody is quite sure if the native life that calls this place home was harmed or helped by the rare break in the clouds. The night passes without incident.

The Iceday sun is never seen as it rises behind another dense layer of cloud cover. A cool drizzle begins spritzing down on the party's campsite as they eat breakfast. It seems as if it will last all day.

Though still quite smelly, JAGA and MILO's feet seem unaffected by fungus in the morning.
12:47, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 20 using 1d20+6. MILO, Fortitude vs. Foot-rot.
12:47, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 15 using 1d20+8. Fortitude vs. Foot-rot.


You are now 40 miles into the swamp. You need to decide which entrance you'd like to take. View the OOC post.
teslas
 GM, 3992 posts
Fri 3 Aug 2012
at 18:24
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
The party decides to head toward the first secondary entrance, a three-day ride.

Garus, JAGA, and SILI converse on the upcoming weather as best as they can guess.
13:05, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 23 using 1d20+3. Survival, weather prediction.
13:05, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 22 using 1d20+7. Survival, weather prediction.
13:05, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 13 using 1d20+7. Survival, weather prediction.
Total Result: 27


Lightningsday: Drizzle
Lightsday    : Massive Thunderstorm
Darksday     : Heavy Rain


Lightningsday carries nothing of mention with it, and solid progress is made.

The group recognizes the signs of a massive storm approaching from sea in the changes of ambient temperature, humidity, and pressure. As such, the party is able to stay camped all through Lightsday at a high location and avoid traveling.

One day of travel lost, but you totally avoided a CR 2 storm encounter with nothing but die rolls.

Everyone gains 60 Experience Points for weathering the storm safely.

Next thread incoming.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:31, Fri 03 Aug 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3993 posts
Fri 3 Aug 2012
at 18:43
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
The darksday morning after the storm is, if nothing else, wet. Very wet. Rain had penetrated everyone in every place. If a tarp was set up, the water would just run underneath it from all sides. If dirt was piled up, it'd be washed away or too soupy to use. The party could do nothing but huddle up together and wait. The sound of the wind and rain overpowered anything but a raised voice pointed directly at someone's ear, and hearing someone more than ten feet away required shouting. Even the hooded lantern was getting spritzed enough inside of its hood that ZEIG felt it best to simply put it back into his pack lest he waste a pint of oil.

The low-lying boulder the party found to sit upon flooded over, but only just, and the rain would make it an impossibility for anything to find them unless it tripped over them on its way to somewhere else.

By the end of the day, the rains subsided into to a comparatively gentle torrential downfall. The party pulled a tent out of the survival pouch, climbed in, and went to sleep.


The Darksday sun, as you're becoming accustomed to, rises behind thick clouds barely shedding light on the swamp below. DAI summons up some chocobos, and the next day of travel begins. The rain is still quite heavy and the water level higher than normal, but the party sets off. Even with the rain, it is still no more than a little over 3 feet deep in any one spot. MILO has to swim a for a few minutes at a time here and there, but is otherwise able to easily walk with his head above water. Visibility is reduced, and ZEIG has handed his lantern over to DAI again for a little bit of light.
Oil removed from ZEIG's character sheet.

As the group travels, the group of survivalists notice the signs of another storm two days out.
13:36, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 22 using 1d20+3. Survival, weather prediction.
13:36, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 24 using 1d20+7. Survival, weather prediction.
13:36, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 18 using 1d20+7. Survival, weather prediction
Total: 28


Darksday  : Heavy Rain
Firesday  : Drizzle
Earthsday : Massive Thunderstorm


At roughly 2:30pm, Garus's chocobo lets out a startled squark.

Next thread incoming.

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:34, Fri 03 Aug 2012.

teslas
 GM, 3994 posts
Fri 3 Aug 2012
at 19:27
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
The water depth is 2 feet:
Difficult terrain for any medium-sized creature without a swim speed. Small sized creatures can choose to swim instead of using their land speed. Tumbling is impossible with depths of 2 feet or more.


Garus looks down, unsure what startled the chocobo. The rain, dimness, and general compactness of everyone and their mounts makes it difficult for anyone else to notice anything of note.
14:17, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 11 using 1d20+2. Spot.
14:21, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 4 using 1d20+1. Spot.
14:22, Today: teslas, on behalf of JAGA, rolled 13 using 1d20+10. Spot.
14:23, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 6 using 1d20+4. Spot.
SILI is simply too far away with too much in between he and Garus for his modifier to matter.


His mount has stopped and is uneasy, but appears otherwise uninjured. It is obvious to everyone that Garus's chocobo seems very distracted as it looks downward into the murky water.

We're not in initiative or anything, but if you take an action, do it one round at a time.

L = huge rotted log, DC 5 Balance and Climb check to climb on top of it.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,L,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,L,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,J,,,,,,,,
,,,,SSZZDDGG,,,,,
,,,,SSZZDDGG,,,,,
,,,,,,M,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,LL,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 19:57, Fri 03 Aug 2012.

DAI
 player, 2080 posts
Fri 3 Aug 2012
at 21:18
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
DAI frowns as he notices Garus's Chocobo behaving oddly, he then begins looking around as he draws his wand in preparation for a fight.
teslas
 GM, 3997 posts
Fri 3 Aug 2012
at 22:42
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
DAI now has a wand in one hand and the lantern in the other. You will have to pass Ride checks to direct your mount apart from the obvious things.

DAI scans the water again, but can't discern anything beneath its surface.
17:41, Today: teslas, on behalf of DAI, rolled 6 using 1d20+1. Spot.

Anyone else? Garus especially.
Garus
 player, 67 posts
Sat 4 Aug 2012
at 01:12
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
Garus drops down off the beast and tries to see what is going on. Expecting a problem.
ZEIG
 player, 1702 posts
 White Mage
Sat 4 Aug 2012
at 01:23
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
Feeling in tip top shape thanks to Sili's nightly music, Zeig feels it would be best to expend a little effort and be prepared for what might be lurking in these depths.
Protectra, 2 AC to everyone, CL 7 due to the day, duration 70 minutes.
MP: 63/67

"Darksday is not a day to take things lightly. Be on guard."
SILI
 player, 1709 posts
Sat 4 Aug 2012
at 02:07
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
Sili calls Milo to heel, and readies his harp. He watches warily.
teslas
 GM, 4000 posts
Sat 4 Aug 2012
at 04:21
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
ZEIG casts Protectra as Garus dismounts. MILO takes a step back closer to SILI and raises his snout a bit, sniffing at the air.

Garus's chocobo continues to struggle with its leg, though Garus cannot tell with what it may be.
22:54, Today: teslas, on behalf of Garus, rolled 4 using 1d20+2. Spot.

Garus's chocobo squawks loudly, as if in pain.

I will remind you, ZEIG's lantern in DAI's hand is your only source of light.


23:14, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 15 using 1d20+4. Spot.

Round 1:
22: ZEIG     - Mounted
20: Gurlop
18: Green C.
15: MILO
10: SILI     - Mounted
 9: DAI      - Mounted
 6: JAGA
 4: Garus
 3: ???


See above for water depth rules.
L = huge rotted log, DC 5 Balance and Climb check to climb on top of it.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,L,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,L,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,JG,,,,,,,
,,,,SSZZDDcc,,,,,
,,,,SSZZDDcc,,,,,
,,,,,M,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,LL,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ZEIG
 player, 1703 posts
 White Mage
Sat 4 Aug 2012
at 17:06
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
Zeig keeps an eye out for trouble but stays atop his chocobo.

Delay for this round.
teslas
 GM, 4003 posts
Mon 6 Aug 2012
at 06:10
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
ZEIG, chime in for your turn whenever you like before you'd come around again.

Gurlop takes flight. We will not address him for the rest of the encounter unless Garus gives him a command.

The chocobo struggles a bit, and then steps back, pulling with it a humanoid mostly submerged underneath the water closer to the surface. It has both hands attacked to one of the chocobo's legs, and is apparently in a prone position. Only its hands, barely, are above water.

All the yellow chocobos are now shaken.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#shaken


Round 1:
22: ZEIG     - Mounted
18: Green C. - Frightened
15: MILO
10: SILI     - Mounted
 9: DAI      - Mounted
 6: JAGA
 4: Garus
 3: #1       - prone, submerged


See above for water depth rules.
L = huge rotted log, DC 5 Balance and Climb check to climb on top of it.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,L,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,L,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,JG,,,,,,,
,,,,SSZZDD,1,,,,,
,,,,SSZZDDcc,,,,,
,,,,,M,,,,cc,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,LL,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:15, Mon 06 Aug 2012.

ZEIG
 player, 1705 posts
 White Mage
Mon 6 Aug 2012
at 06:16
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
Might as well make myself a little useful this round. Zeig will jump in now.

Zeig chants an incantation and light begins to radiate from his staff.
Illuminate, CL 6 or 7 depending on if it has an element associated with it.
teslas
 GM, 4004 posts
Mon 6 Aug 2012
at 06:20
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
Cantrips do not have an element associated with them.

MILO delays until after SILI.

Round 1:
18: Green C. - Frightened
18: ZEIG     - Mounted
10: SILI     - Mounted
10: MILO
 9: DAI      - Mounted
 6: JAGA
 4: Garus
 3: #1       - prone, submerged

SILI
 player, 1710 posts
Mon 6 Aug 2012
at 11:26
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
Sili keeps looking around. He looks about ready to bolt. "What's the hold up?"

GM Edit-
17:29, Today: teslas, on behalf of SILI, rolled 8 using 1d20+4. Spot.
You are not able to spot anything you could not already see.

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:29, Mon 06 Aug 2012.

DAI
 player, 2084 posts
Mon 6 Aug 2012
at 20:42
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
DAI squints down through the water, giving a bit of a sigh. "It's some kind of undead I think, beneath the water and trying to...grab the Chocobo? It hasn't started attacking yet- Garus, stab its head off or something."

DAI is readying a Stilled Stone for if any hostile creatures show up that aren't prone, beneath water, and through a couple Chocobos.
teslas
 GM, 4005 posts
Mon 6 Aug 2012
at 22:27
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
Round 1:
18: Green C. - Frightened
18: ZEIG     - Mounted
10: SILI     - Mounted
10: MILO     - Readied Action
 9: DAI      - Mounted, Readied Action
 6: JAGA
 4: Garus
 3: #1       - prone, submerged

teslas
 GM, 4006 posts
Tue 7 Aug 2012
at 17:16
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
Instruction received by PM for JAGA. Focus.

Round 1:
18: Green C. - Frightened
18: ZEIG     - Mounted
10: SILI     - Mounted
10: MILO     - Readied Action
 9: DAI      - Mounted, Readied Action
 6: JAGA     - Total Defense (+6), Focus x1
 4: Garus
 3: #1       - prone, submerged


L = huge rotted log, DC 5 Balance and Climb check to climb on top of it.
, = 2-2.5' deep water, difficult terrain for medium sized creatures, no tumbling.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,L,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,L,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,JG,,,,,,,
,,,,SSZZDD,1,,,,,
,,,,SSZZDDcc,,,,,
,,,,,M,,,,cc,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,LL,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:18, Tue 07 Aug 2012.

Garus
 player, 68 posts
Wed 8 Aug 2012
at 00:13
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
Garus shifts south east directly in front of the submerged creature. Taunting it as he moves with an insult in his native tongue. He pulls out his trident and makes a controlled attack bringing his full skill at defense to bear.

OOC: You rolled 21 using 1d20+6 ((15)).
You rolled 16 using 2d6+6 ((6,4)).

19:11, Yesterday: Garus rolled 21 using 1d20+6. Attack with full combat expertise.
19:12, Yesterday: Garus rolled 16 using 2d6+6. Damage.


Provoke, five foot into the square west of 1, Draw Trident and Attack.

GM Edit-
Please post the die rolls copied and pasted from the log like you have been doing up until this post.

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:12, Wed 08 Aug 2012.

teslas
 GM, 4007 posts
Wed 8 Aug 2012
at 06:55
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
To reiterate, the water is difficult terrain. Your turn is still valid, but in the interest of being clear it takes 10' worth of movement, not a simple 5' step or shift.

What state your mounts are in is now listed in the initiative. They act on your turn. Keep this in mind.


Between the splashing of the water, the chocobo squawking, and it being underwater, whatever the arm belongs to probably didn't notice Garus's attempt to goad it, though it surely noticed his trident nearly severing its arm.

JAGA feels something slam into his ankle under the water, twisting it.
01:19, Today: teslas rolled 88 using 1d100. #2 vs. JAGA miss.
01:20, Today: teslas rolled 16 using 1d20+4. #2 vs. JAGA.
01:48, Today: teslas rolled 4 using 1d6+2. #2 damage.


Garus's chocobo begins to flail wildly. The water to the south and west of it splashes, and it's clear there's at least three or four more of the things going for its legs underwater, though their exact locations are not quite clear.

It's not hard for any of you to notice the water all to the east of the party moving in ways it would not normally move from just the waves of the local commotion.

Garus's green chocobo moves westward, bouncing off of DAI's chocobo, who witnessed the entire prior process, before splashing by ZEIG and SILI. The flesh of one of its legs is shredded and it is limping badly.

Round 2:
18: Green C. - Panicked
18: ZEIG     - Mounted (frightened)
10: SILI     - Mounted (frightened)
10: MILO     - Readied Action
 9: DAI      - Mounted (panicked), Readied Action
 6: JAGA     - Total Defense (+6), Focus x1
 4: Garus
 3: #1       - prone, submerged
 3: #2       - prone, submerged


Submerged creatures can only be seen (20% concealment) with a DC 15 Spot check in areas of bright illumination. Otherwise, they have total concealment (and the surface of the water breaks line of effect). Both DAI and ZEIG are putting off 20' of bright illumination.

L = huge rotted log, DC 5 Balance and Climb check to climb on top of it.
, = 2-2.5' deep water, difficult terrain for medium sized creatures, no tumbling.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,L,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,L,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,J,,,,,,,,
cc,,SSZZDDG1,,,,,
cc,,SSZZDD,,,,,,,
,,,,,M,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,LL,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ZEIG
 player, 1706 posts
 White Mage
Wed 8 Aug 2012
at 07:14
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
Don't care to heal a summoned chocobo and I can't affect anything with magic without line of effect.

Rather than be drawn away from the party by a frightened not-actually-real chocobo, Zeig jumps off and casts Aquaveil on himself.
CL 8 due to being a water/enhancing spell, +8 to concentration checks for 8 minutes.
MP: 60/67

GM Edit-
The square you're dismounting into was not specified. Die roll time.
13:42, Today: teslas, on behalf of ZEIG, rolled 6 using 1d6. 1 = NW, clockwise.
You dismount into the square next to MILO.

This message was last edited by the GM at 18:54, Wed 08 Aug 2012.

teslas
 GM, 4008 posts
Wed 8 Aug 2012
at 18:52
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
ZEIG's chcoobo stays where it is, shaking visibly.

Round 2:
18: Green C.     - Panicked
18: ZEIG
18: ZEIG's choby - Frightened
10: SILI         - Mounted (frightened)
10: MILO         - Readied Action
 9: DAI          - Mounted (panicked), Readied Action
 6: JAGA         - Total Defense (+6), Focus x1
 4: Garus
 3: #1           - prone, submerged
 3: #2           - prone, submerged


Submerged creatures can only be seen (20% concealment) with a DC 15 Spot check in areas of bright illumination. Otherwise, they have total concealment. Either way, the surface of the water breaks line of effect. Both DAI and ZEIG are putting off 20' of bright illumination.

L = huge rotted log, DC 5 Balance and Climb check to climb on top of it.
, = 2-2.5' deep water, difficult terrain for medium sized creatures, no tumbling.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,L,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,L,,,,,,,2,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,J,,,,,,,,
cc,,SSccDDG1,,,,,
cc,,SSccDD,,,,,,,
,,,,,MZ,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,LL,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:39, Thu 09 Aug 2012.

SILI
 player, 1711 posts
Wed 8 Aug 2012
at 18:58
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
Sili delays his turn until he can see better.
teslas
 GM, 4009 posts
Wed 8 Aug 2012
at 19:09
Re: 2:30pm Darksday, 10th week 852s
9: DAI

edit-
Reminder: DAI's chocobo is panicked, not merely frightened as ZEIG and SILI's were/are.

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:43, Wed 08 Aug 2012.