Falls River.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 player, 1042 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Mon 8 May 2017
at 05:47
Falls River
Falls River is the river along which the deep wilderness folk have settled. Your settlement, Camp Starfield, has what is relatively standard rules in such settlements; those who can work and don't, do not eat. Starfield is home to 90 people who all contribute in some way.

Currently visiting the camp are the PCs, but also a druid by the name of Arowyn and a ranger by the name of Helja.

It was a long way to get here, but you are here because word was sent that this place needs help. The commander, Shane, explains that the camp has a couple problems:

Quest 1) Starfield been mysteriously losing supplies that, by all rights, should still be there.

Quest 2) Starfield has been spotting goblin activity nearby and needs that looked into, but their people are already stretched thin doing what needs to be done just to put food on the table for 90 men, women and children every day.
Mittens
 GM, 2205 posts
Mon 8 May 2017
at 05:53
Falls River
"Finding missing things is part of what Mittens does, and considering that is a much closer starting point, I suggest those interested join me."

She gets started scanning things with her Chuck Norris Jr. eyes.  Not as good as Epic Timothius' Chuck Norris Sr. eyes.  (20 passive perc.)
Joe
 player, 563 posts
Mon 8 May 2017
at 05:57
Falls River
  That's the benefit of adventurers to hard working commoners. They solve problems because they have nothing better to do!

  "I know it's the obvious thing to expect the goblins are stealing the supplies, but there's an odd tendency for there to suddenly be another reason out of nowhere."  It's probably the goblins AND a second thing! Maybe.

  Joe lets Mittens deal with the staring at things, until it reaches a point where dirt is too dirty for perception to look at as good.
Narrator
 player, 1043 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Mon 8 May 2017
at 06:16
Falls River
At a passive perc of 20, it takes Mittens and Joe 40 minutes to scan the general outdoors area, but taking 10 in each building will be 380 minutes (6.3 hours) total.

Both adventurers, however, are experienced at refining their ability to search and reduce the time by a substantial amount. Mittens gets distracted several times by the place being so new and interesting, having so many new and interesting things in it. And the occasional child being fascinated with a catgirl since they have never seen one before.

Joe's senses tell him to start at the supply building first, where he finds a relatively hidden clue that leads him to check the hut adjacent to the supply building, where he immediately finds what he suspected was the case: A cleverly concealed tunnel, too small for medium sized creatures, but plenty big for small sized creatures.

Around then, Mittens decided to check the exterior of the camp and found little tracks. At first, it looked like halfling feet, but Mittens is able to tell the subtle difference and figure out it is goblin tracks. Whoever this goblin is, they went to a lot of trouble to try covering their tracks enough for Mittens to lose the tracks at several points.

Helja gladly checks out the tunnel and reports that the tunnel leads to just behind the nearest tree outside Starfield's eastern walls.


Mittens perc rolls: 18, 13, 23
 Mittens nature roll for tracks: 20
Joe rolls: 22, 29, 25

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:17, Mon 08 May 2017.

Mittens
 GM, 2206 posts
Mon 8 May 2017
at 06:20
Falls River
"And already off to a good start!" Mittens boasts, "Nice work, everyone!  Next up: Find the thieving goblin and give him a stern talking to!"
Joe
 player, 564 posts
Mon 8 May 2017
at 06:25
Falls River
  "Thanks Helja, glad there wasn't anything in the tunnel but a tunnel."

  He looks over to Mittens, "Considering the amount of effort involved to be subtle, there is a slight chance they would understand a conversation past screams, stabs, and poorly rhyming songs about screams and stabs."
Narrator
 player, 1044 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Mon 8 May 2017
at 06:57
Falls River
Helja says, "Well then. I guess all you guys need to do is track down the goblin. I'm needed back at camp for cooking. Mrs Cammermill is sick, so I agreed to take her place as the camp cook. But if you find there are too many goblins for the two of you to handle, you can always return here to get backup. By then, I'll probably be done cooking."

This message was last edited by the GM at 06:58, Mon 08 May 2017.

Mittens
 GM, 2207 posts
Mon 8 May 2017
at 07:03
Falls River
"Sounds like a plan!"

Mits is quick to take the lead following the trail of the goblin.  Maybe she wants to impress Joe with her tracking skill.  Maybe she thinks herself a tank with her chainmail armor.  Maybe she's just eager for a fight.  The world may never know, because this time she's not narrating out loud.
Joe
 player, 565 posts
Mon 8 May 2017
at 07:07
Falls River
  "Hopefully it's not that many, but we'll keep that in mind." Yes, if Helja has time after being a kind and sweet person she will help you shoot people in the face.

  Joe wanders along the wilderness with Mittens.  Very picturesque.  Like a less violent Calvin and Hobbes.
Narrator
 player, 1045 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Mon 8 May 2017
at 07:14
Falls River
Whether the two decide to take their time or be hasty, it gets dark before they are able to finish following tracks. However, they can see the flickering of fire reflected on trees about 100 yards ahead.
Mittens
 GM, 2208 posts
Mon 8 May 2017
at 07:26
Falls River
Mittens conjures a second Mittens!  Yay multiclass shaman.

"Mittens.  Go check out the fire to see if there's lots of goblins, only one, or something else entirely unexpected."

Mittens salutes Mittens.  "As I command."

She floats off.  The Mittens that stays behind grins impishly to Joe.
Joe
 player, 566 posts
Mon 8 May 2017
at 07:30
Falls River
  "You always were good at multitasking.  Now you're good at multitasking while doing nothing."  Very zen, except it actually means something instead of being philosophical rambling.
Narrator
 player, 1046 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Mon 8 May 2017
at 07:35
Falls River
Mitts is able to see a single, surprisingly pretty goblin at a campfire. (visual of gobby can be found south of the map of Starfield)

The goblin is roasting marshmallows over the fire and, judging from the bones nearby, had already eaten some meat.
Mittens
 GM, 2209 posts
Mon 8 May 2017
at 07:41
Falls River
Mits conjures an image of the suspect for Joe.

"Mittens feels threatened by this thief.  Four pigtails!  That's twice the cuteness!  Nevertheless, I must put aside personal bias and aproach this professionally.  You from one side, me from the other, and second me from above.  That leaves her only burrowing as an escape option."

She lets Joe do the circling around since he has the DEX for sneaking.
Joe
 player, 567 posts
Mon 8 May 2017
at 07:50
Falls River
  "At least no matter how this goes, it will be less awkward than people stealing medical supplies from dying soldiers because their kid has a nonspecific tummy ache."

  Joe will totally take advantage of looking slightly less threatening if spotted by having no drawn weapons (Thanks, built in quick draw).  But we get the feeling he'll manage dealing with the average passive perception this time around.
Narrator
 player, 1047 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Mon 8 May 2017
at 07:54
Falls River
The gobby is completely surrounded and has no idea. Joe is able to get right up to the girl if he wants to.

She cheers at the sight of her perfectly roasted marshmallow. "Ha-ha!" she says with a little squeal in her voice as she holds the stick up triumphantly before going to nom the marshmallow.
Mittens
 GM, 2210 posts
Mon 8 May 2017
at 07:58
Falls River
Mits waits for the girl to nom the marshmallow before approaching all friendly-like.  Wouldn't want her to drop it or choke from surprise.

"Lalala!  What a welcoming looking campfire!  And a cute girl to go with it!  Hi there!"