D&D: Generations.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 player, 1348 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sun 3 Nov 2019
at 06:59
Re: D&D: Generations
The harpy flap-flaps a little in response and gives Mittens and the group a helpless smile.

The guard explains, "She can't talk. But she can write. Avery is the name she went by before adventurers started hunting her down. Harriot is the name this town gave her in hopes of helping dissuade people from hunting her."

Timothius asks, "Why can't she talk?"

The guard answers, "She says it was when she was captured by goblins once. They were worried she would use the famed harpy sound weapon and so they stabbed her in the throat. She survived, but has not fully healed from that since."

Timothius cringes and hugs Mitts' arm. "G-gosh... sorry..." he mews pitifully.

Liberty is clenching her fist in anger and reaches to hold Joe's hand for comfort while she stares at the ground so she won't make the harpy feel she's angry at her.

Tam says, "You're good on what she has already told you, but we'd still like to converse with her. She have a means of writing so we can talk with her?"

The guard nods. "Yes."

Avery/Harriot hops up onto the desk and dips a talon into some ink before scratching away on a piece of paper. It reads:

"I can't talk, so teaching your friend would be very hard. I would rather just be helpful where I can. So I help people who are not being helped."
Rocky
 player, 39 posts
 Envoy Warforged
 Circle of the Moon Druid
Wed 13 Nov 2019
at 15:53
Re: D&D: Generations
Rocky would frown if his face could when he hears why the harpy doesn't speak... and he knows that while healing magic could restore her voice, such regenerative power is still beyond his ability.

Rocky glances to the others and ponders the next course of action since Avery/Harriot wishes to stay since it is hard to teach when you can't speak and not everyone would be patient enough to read her words. Rocky's eyes then dim for a moment before going wide as he realizes something and then speaks up, "While healing your throat with regenerative magic is currently beyond my capabilities, I have heard of a minor enchantment that can be placed on items which could help. It is an enchantment that lets the wearer speak a single language... And since it works even on creatures that normally cannot speak as the enchanted item is the source of the sound, such an item could be of use to you, at least until you can find a way to recover your own voice. The trick is to find someone who can enchant such an item. I am aware of that enchantment since it would also be something of use to me when I wild shape into an animal form."
Joe
 player, 888 posts
Fri 15 Nov 2019
at 05:52
Re: D&D: Generations
  Joe provides at least a solid 8.5 out of 10 handholding.  "Well, I can hardly blame you for wanting to stay around friendly faces.  Even if it's to kick less than friendly ones."  The joys of group roleplay means holding off the horrors of 'I WILL obtain 100% completion' can inflict upon the world in a solo run.

  "While knowing their options is always good Rocky, I think their main question is being able to afford one, and finding somebody to even make it." Well, okay. Harriot having completed quests recently might actually be able to afford a 100 gold item, and his party has just earned 200 each.  But bringing that up means having to ask if the people sheltering her are cheapskates.

  Why isn't Joe mentioning the fact they literally just helped a wizard the next town over? So somebody else can feel smart bringing it up, duh... Joe, you're not doing the Secret Lesson thing right.  Everybody knows you have to act like an asshole who threatens to stop teaching unless your student asspulls a win displaying the fact they have zero need to be taught in the first place!

This message was last edited by the player at 05:53, Fri 15 Nov 2019.

Mittens
 GM, 2544 posts
Sun 17 Nov 2019
at 04:17
Re: D&D: Generations
Mittens envisions a future where she helps the harpy get her voice back only for the harpy to then use her voice weapon to destroy the ears of adventurers, good or bad.  So she's deciding to not fall over herself to take up a quest to restore the poor girl's voice.  Wasn't asked to, after all.

"'Will pay handsomely.'  Mittens did say this.  Just a moment ago.  And presumably well enough for to pay for a regeneration spell to be cast to heal the voice.  Or get the magic item, whatever Avery prefers.  And presumably, helping people will be more streamlined when one has a voice.  Win win.

"To be honest, Mittens is wondering why nobody's yet asked, 'What's to say Lord Henry isn't an evil mastermind, or under the control of an evil mastermind, and the real purpose of this quest is to gather together heroes for the purpose of encasing them in crystal around a massive magic circle as fuel for a dark ritual that will re-summon the colossal abomination of ruin that was sealed away 1,000 years ago?'  To which Mittens' only answer is, 'We talked with him and didn't notice any tell-tale signs of evil mastermindery going on.'"

Narrator
 player, 1350 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sun 17 Nov 2019
at 04:38
Re: D&D: Generations
Avery looks excited when Rocky mentions regenerative magic or magic items able to give a voice.

Avery and the guard both sweatdrop at Mittens.

Timothius wonders the same thing Mittens is wondering out loud. But he's paranoid for different reasons. Mittens thinks up that stuff because it's more dramatic and/or sound just like a storybook. Timothius thinks up that stuff because he is naturally paranoid and imagines worst case scenarios.

Tam gives Mittens a weird look. "And I'm wondering why you're wondering that. Nobody even thinks that stuff."

Timothius says, "Hi. My name's Nobody and this is my sister Nobody."

Liberty says, "If you two think like that all the time, how is it you trust anyone?"

Timthius says, "Getting to know someone is usually enough to tell someone is trustworthy."

Avery scribbles, "If Lord Henry can fix my voice, I will be happy to teach what I can."

The narrator would write more on the topic, but what he has to write is completely outside the knowledge of the narrator-controlled characters present. We have three children, a normal town guard, and a harpy who only recently started hanging out with humans.
Rocky
 player, 40 posts
 Envoy Warforged
 Circle of the Moon Druid
Mon 9 Dec 2019
at 19:20
Re: D&D: Generations
Rocky wonders if Mittens is trying to get people to disregard her and drop their guard around her just so she could then turn out to ambush someone with a nasty surprise when it is revealed that she is a villain that was playing along with the adventurers out of boredom before crushing everything they believe in. And then dismisses the thought as he realizes he's possibly been around Mittens and Joe too long if his train of thought is heading down such strange avenues.

Rocky looks to Avery and says, "With Lord Henry's resources he should be able to procure a way to fix your voice." Rocky also makes a mental note remember to see if Lord Henry can get an item the Warforged an item he can wear when wild shaped to be able to speak common while in the form of an animal.
Joe
 player, 892 posts
Mon 9 Dec 2019
at 21:02
Re: D&D: Generations
  Joe WOULD refer to 'huge nerd' for why Henry probably isn't evil, but honestly that's no help.  Just look at liches, for one example there.

  "Well, that's a lot more convenient than our last stop...  There ARE no lingering problems you'd be stuck with after Avery leaves, right?"
Mittens
 GM, 2556 posts
Fri 13 Dec 2019
at 01:13
Re: D&D: Generations
Rocky:
Rocky ... is heading down such strange avenues.


(( This made me LOL!  XD ))

Mittens pulls her Floop puppet and sings along with it,
♪ "It's a cruel cruel world
All you little boys and girls
With some mean, nasty nasty people
NastyNastyNasty people.

But there's a way
You can make your day!
You can laugh!
You can smile!
You can come and stay awhile!
You can dream my dream.
You can have it all with me!
You can dream my dream!" ♫


She nods.  "Nobody agrees with her brother Nobody.  You'd have noticed if Henry was all, 'It's important that the heroes be young.  The younger the better.  Because... young heroes are more vigorous teachers.  Yesyes.  Large is good, too.  The larger the hero, the better.  Don't work too hard on getting me any golem or undead type heroes.  No blood in... I mean... they're just creepy.'"
Narrator
 player, 1351 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Fri 13 Dec 2019
at 23:45
Re: D&D: Generations
The guard answers Joe's question. "Nope. Not that we are aware of. But I weould ask that, now that you bring up the possibility Henry might be evil, you do some checking up on him with Avery at your side."

Timothius says, "That sounds reasonable."

Tam asks, "You mean you guys didn't check up on Henry? After all that talk about being surprise people don't think to check up on people?"
Rocky
 player, 41 posts
 Envoy Warforged
 Circle of the Moon Druid
Fri 27 Dec 2019
at 19:35
Re: D&D: Generations
Rocky glances at Mittens and wonders why she is saying no 'golem types' since a Warforged is technically a golem-like living creature and chalks it up to Mittens just making a joke that he doesn't comprehend since Lord Henry did have him on the list along with everyone else.

Rocky glances to Tam and says, "Not all villains advertise themselves as such and are revealed by simply investigations. Some don't even see what they are doing as evil and truly have good intentions from their own viewpoint as they commit acts of evil for the 'greater good'. We are mostly saying that just because we haven't discovered anything nefarious about Lord Henry's known actions, does not prevent a nefarious action from existing that we do not know about. Besides, there are greater odds that if there is a villain in Lord Henry's court, and we have no proof that there is one, then it isn't him but someone else who is good at covering their tracks. It never hurts to be cautious so long as you don't let it devolve into paranoia that hampers you and those around you."
Joe
 player, 893 posts
Fri 27 Dec 2019
at 20:04
Re: D&D: Generations
  "Double checking probably wouldn't hurt, unless people were aware of some time sensitive problems already hassling our next destinations?  Half the reason the Imp didn't get away with it on our last stop was because we didn't go Full Paranoid, after all, but things might not have gone so well if it went on much longer first."  Ah, the distinctions of world based timeframes vs party based timeframes. Always a tricky thing.
Mittens
 GM, 2558 posts
Mon 30 Dec 2019
at 01:13
Re: D&D: Generations
"Nya.  Side-tracking to do some pointless sleuthing on Lord Henry was not what Mittens was aiming for.  Though she cannot deny that it makes sense to be more thorough when something as unusual as Lord Henry pops up, what Mittens was trying to point out is that while we were satisfied with Lord Henry's intentions because we were able to talk with him face-to-face and noted that he wasn't suspicious at all, everyone else has taken Lord Henry's stated intentions at face value without having met him face-to-face.  Mittens also wanted to both point out that we can be trusted because what sort of villain warns you of potential danger you failed to notice, and to arm Avery with enough caution that she would be watching for tell-tell signs of something amiss when she arrives.  Hero-face number one being nowhere to be found, for example.  Then she can hunt us down and warn us that we need to gather all the heroes to ourselves and then rescue H.F.1.

"I'm not aware of any urgent matters, but all the clues so far point to that it would be a waste of our time to go back and investigate when we've still plenty more heroes to go find.  Why didn't Mittens warn H.F.1?  He wasn't paranoid of adventurers, so she didn't think she needed to.  Sheesh.  Mittens is so un-used to being taken seriously, she tends not to think about having to keep her fantastical musings to herself."


A puppet appears on her hand and declares, "Tell them about the one where you're all actually puppets being controlled by beings from the beyond for their own amusement!"
Narrator
 player, 1352 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Mon 30 Dec 2019
at 01:38
Re: D&D: Generations
Avery flappa-flaps and scratches more words, "Even if Lord Henry can be trusted, few else can. I won't be safe traveling there without protection. Humans don't like me and this town needs what few guards it has."

Tam says, "The trail wasn't terribly dangerous. A few people here from town would be enough to show the city guards that you aren't a threat."

Timothius says, "She has a point about being a harpy. But Mitts and I are considered a "monster race" and weren't given any trouble."

Liberty says, "Could always have her come with us to the next hero and then she can travel with whoever that is."
Rocky
 player, 42 posts
 Envoy Warforged
 Circle of the Moon Druid
Mon 30 Dec 2019
at 16:15
Re: D&D: Generations
Rocky glances at Avery's message and speaks up, "At worst, after we pick up the next individual we escort them both to Lord Henry. It depends on how well the next person gets along with Avery and a number of other factors. Lord Henry might have an updated list anyway, so it wouldn't be a waste of our time to head back sooner or later."

As a Warforged, Rocky knows that some people can be wary of him and suspects it would be even worse for a Harpy so he'll make sure things go smoothly, even if he has to use wild shape to take a faster form to make the traveling easier... and wishes he was strong enough to wild shape into a bird which would make things a lot easier as then he and Avery could just fly there and then he flies back.
Joe
 player, 894 posts
Mon 30 Dec 2019
at 19:36
Re: D&D: Generations
  "Honestly, taking advantage of the buddy system is probably the best idea to go with, yeah."

  Joe can sympathize with 'wait, someone took my warnings seriously?', except Joe's normally meaning it with his oddly specific warnings rather than hoping for what would be more exciting.
Mittens
 GM, 2560 posts
Tue 31 Dec 2019
at 00:21
Re: D&D: Generations
Mittens' pigtails flappa-flap and she leans over to Timothius to mutter, "Ermergersh she's so kyooot!"

She grins at Lib and gives an enthusiastic thumbs-up!  "Fantastic idea!  YES!  Let's do that!"

Mits smiles eagerly at Avery and tail-wags.  "I presume you're ok with joining us fellow 'monster' adventurers on the next recruitment run?"
Narrator
 player, 1353 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 4 Jan 2020
at 04:31
Re: D&D: Generations
Timothius blushes and holds onto Mitts' arm when she comments on Avery's cuteness.

Avery nodnods at Mittens when she asks her question.

Liberty beams proudly that she came up with a suggestion nobody else did that the grown ups considered a good idea.

Tam looks at the list. "The list says the next closest is somewhere in the forest. Since that's where the hero was last seen, either this very town or the next one, Charlton, is where we'll hear from people about an elf hero from the forest."

The guard says, "I heard about an elf hero, but... I heard about it from a guy who had come here from Charlton. So you should try there."

(Taken from the List:)

Last Reported Location: The Great Forest
Name: Unknown
Race: Elf
Gender: Unknown
Known For: Protecting travelers from beast and bandit alike.

Last Reported Location: Charlton
Name: Honey
Race: Human
Gender: Female
Known For: Eccentric. Solves local disputes. Knocked out a guard and got away with it.

Last Reported Location: Charlton
Name: Morthos
Race: Tiefling
Gender: Male
Known For: Took down the local gang.
Rocky
 player, 43 posts
 Envoy Warforged
 Circle of the Moon Druid
Sun 5 Jan 2020
at 15:45
Re: D&D: Generations
Rocky nods and says, "So it looks like Charlton is our next destination where we could end up meeting up with as many as three others to recruit... along with Avery that would be a decent group to head to Lord Henry's safely...."

Buzz glances around and speaks up, "The one named Honey though might be a problem... not sure how she got away with attacking a guard but that might be a sign that she dislikes authority..."

Adrian responds with, "Depends on the situation, that guard might have been drunk and was making a fool of himself, or worse." as the awakened shrub seems to shrug, well as much as a shrub can shrug.

Doc shakes his head and then asks, "Well if we are heading to Charlton next, is there any supplies we need before we head out? Or possibly anything anyone would want us to deliver to Charlton since we are already heading there?"
Joe
 player, 895 posts
Sun 5 Jan 2020
at 21:32
Re: D&D: Generations
  Joe was thinking more along the lines of 'wait here then go back with the next hero we send back'.  But he's going to be the one to suggest 'actually, let's NOT travel with a cute harpy' either.

  "It is usually easier to find people in a town than the middle of a forest." Well, unless The Plot or the people in said forest go looking for you.  But that is where Charlton still comes out ahead in 'Two heroes are better than one hero, right?' logic.
Mittens
 GM, 2564 posts
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 05:08
Re: D&D: Generations
"Honey sounds like my kinda girl!  Takes guts to stand up to tha man.  We may not have the details, but it's easy enough to figure she was in the right if she wound up on a hero list instead of a menace to society list.

"I'm hoping the Elf hero doesn't turn out to be some zillion-year-old.  Will probably look down on us and Henry's offer if so.  'I still remember the day when his great grandfather insulted my race.  Not interested in doing any of his descendants any favors, nor their hired help.'

"But speaking of stereotypes, I gotta say I'm glad no one's saying anything against the Tiefling just for his race."


A puppet begins to tease Mittens for her age discrimination, and she tries to defend her position with silly logic about having the right to discriminating against the old because she was discriminated against because of her youth.
Narrator
 player, 1355 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Thu 9 Jan 2020
at 05:35
Re: D&D: Generations
Liberty looks up at Mittens. "You looked at our team lately?"

Avery shrugs and smiles.

Tam says, "Honey might be a folk hero then. Surprised she didn't wind up with a price on her head and wanted posters like Mitts pointed out..."

Either way, there is nothing more to do in this town and no reason to return. The group is soon able to be on their way to Charlton. The group is, however, given a wagon drawn by two horses to make their travel easier/smoother/faster. Avery mostly stays seated and loves the children, wrapping her wings around them and snuggling them.
Rocky
 player, 44 posts
 Envoy Warforged
 Circle of the Moon Druid
Sat 11 Jan 2020
at 22:35
Re: D&D: Generations
Upon the group being given the wagon and two horses, Rocky checks to make sure that the horses are comfortable in their harnesses before the group leaves for Charlton.  While Rocky, Buzz, and Adrian can all fit into the wagon, as a Deer, Doc can't ride in the wagon but Doc is fast enough to keep up with the horses pulling the wagon so Doc has no issue with walking beside the wagon, or behind it when the path is too narrow to walk beside the wagon and horses.

Rocky uses his time while traveling as an opportunity to keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary or plants and other materials that could be useful in medicine, herbalism, or alchemy since such components might be useful in the days to come. While Rocky notices how Avery acts around the children, the Warforged Druid doesn't comment on it since he suspects it is just her motherly instinct.
Joe
 player, 897 posts
Sun 12 Jan 2020
at 00:51
Re: D&D: Generations
  It is a sign of Nerd Lord Henry's attention to detail, that they wrote down reasons to not be too concerned about snooty elf stereotypes.  "Well Mittens, the list mentions they were defending travelers from beasts.  So we probably won't have to worry about bad sterotypes chiding people for having the nerve to be attacked by wildlife."  Don't you know Elk are herbivores? How dare you disrupt their traditional diet by being devoured by them!

  Meanwhile, Joe's player is getting Skyrim hoarding flashbacks from Rocky's narrative.
Mittens
 GM, 2568 posts
Wed 15 Jan 2020
at 04:12
Re: D&D: Generations
"Silly prejudices laugh at your expectations of common sense.  Mittens will remain encouraged by the good company she's keeping."

And skeptical of future company.  But speaking of common sense, snuggling children you love is a most sensible thing to do, so Mittens doesn't even think to comment.  Instead...

"So Avery.  I'm presuming that you can, in fact, fly.  What is your max carrying capacity?  Could you safely land if you were to leap off a cliff with me piggybacking?  Could you take off with Liberty holding on to you?  Would you be able to perform aerobatics?"

Mits is sure to pause between questions so that Avery can reply with nods or headshakes.
Narrator
 player, 1356 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Sat 18 Jan 2020
at 00:46
Re: D&D: Generations
Rocky is not wrong. Sometimes, when a druid thinks people acting on nature is the reason for their actions, it turns out to be true.

Avery does, in fact answer the questions with gestures:
Nod. Shrug. Shrug. Nod. Nod.

She also uses her talons to curiously fidget with Mittens'/Timothius' tails or fidget with Adrian's vines.

Tam, as usual, is sure to pet and feed Adrian, Buzz and Doc. Liberty, being a girl, wants to pet Doc too and occasionally the horses.

The travel is uneventful and the team is able to see Charlton coming into view. It appears to be a walled city, if still on the smallish side for a city.

When they arrive, the guards in front of town ask the group to halt and ask them their business. Assuming Mittens is her usual forward self, the guards still give her a look of curiosity. One guard asks, "I've always wanted to see a catfolk for myself... and always wanted to know; do your kind like catnip?"