D&D: Generations.   Posted by Narrator.Group: 0
Narrator
 player, 1331 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Fri 12 Apr 2019
at 21:55
Re: D&D: Generations
The dog just does the doggy head-tilt at Mittens.

Liberty says, "It's kinda cute..."

Timothius says, "If you do have a way to speak to the doggy, sounds like that's what we need now..."

Tam says, "I don't have the ability to cast spells yet." then looks at Rocky.
Rocky
 player, 22 posts
 Envoy Warforged
 Circle of the Moon Druid
Tue 16 Apr 2019
at 19:47
Re: D&D: Generations
Rocky shakes his head no while still in his bear form.

Doc speaks up, "While Druids do have Speak with Animals as a spell they could prepare, I know Rocky hasn't prepared that spell. But even if he had, it wouldn't help. Blinks dogs aren't beasts... They are fey."

This message was last edited by the player at 19:48, Tue 16 Apr 2019.

Joe
 player, 862 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 21:03
Re: D&D: Generations
  Yet another reason Joe didn't bother to be a ranger.  Too many cases of 'Oh that dog doesn't count as a dog' and 'that beast doesn't count as a beast' to thwart SPELLS, in turn making mundane nature boy training a moot point.

  Even if this particular timeline ends up deciding that's silly, old (and often justified) habits die hard.

This message was last edited by the player at 21:04, Wed 17 Apr 2019.

Mittens
 GM, 2517 posts
Wed 17 Apr 2019
at 21:57
Re: D&D: Generations
"Mittens cannot deny the cuteness."

Does this mean cuteness can not only overcome racism but will also cover sins like ambushing villagers and wounding them?  Perhaps.  Either way, Mits is disappointed at that even the druid and minions aren't even trying the animal empathy.

"Fey dog is still a dog."

Mits takes out a bit of jerky and takes a bite.  "Mmm.  Food.  Here, have a bite."

She tosses a bite to the blink dog.  If it likes what it tastes, she then tosses another bite inside the cave entrance to see if it goes for it.

"If it refuses to go in, I think we can conclude this is a trap."
Narrator
 player, 1332 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Mon 6 May 2019
at 19:40
Re: D&D: Generations
The blink dog looks at the food, noms it and enjoys it. Then when Mitts tosses the food closer to the cave, it whimpers and begins backing away from the cave.

DC up-to-players, the dog is probably afraid of whatever is in the cave coming out for the snack.

The children look to the adults. They have run out of ideas. Well, OK, technically, Timothius is thinking "Isn't walking right into traps what adventurers do?" but he is SO not going to say that out loud lest Mittens say "YES IT IS!" and march in and get killed.*

*Disclaimer: Timothius imagining people dying left and right is just who he is. This GM is not saying you guys will die here.
Rocky
 player, 23 posts
 Envoy Warforged
 Circle of the Moon Druid
Mon 13 May 2019
at 23:41
Re: D&D: Generations
Rocky tries to take advantage of his bear senses while wild shaped to see if he can figure out what lives inside the cave, without actually entering the cave itself. With the blink dog afraid of the cave, the dog obviously isn't the inhabitant. But scents and tracks in and out of the cave may reveal what lives in the cave.

Doc, Buzz, and Adrian stay back since they know if whatever is in that cave scares the blink dog that can typically escape hostile threats by teleporting itself, then it is something they shouldn't risk being near.
Joe
 player, 864 posts
Tue 21 May 2019
at 21:08
Re: D&D: Generations
  Joe comments  "Well, hopefully we're not dealing with something also invisible." as he points a bullseye lantern (DnD equivalent of a pocket spotlight) into the cave.
Mittens
 GM, 2520 posts
Mon 27 May 2019
at 03:56
Re: D&D: Generations
Mits conjures a hand to pat herself on the back with.  "Very clever, Mittens.  Why thank you, Mittens.  That's nice of you to say."

Mits starts checking the structural integrity of the cave entrance and cave ceiling.  Also checking the cave floor for that tell-tale mat of leaves and such that cover pit traps.  Also the walls for those little holes for arrows tho shoot out of.

"If Blinky is intelligent, then we can't rule out that he's afraid of traps inside.  The specific trap I'm most expecting is the collapsing entrance kind.  But if Blinky's just a regular old pup, then it's probably some bear or other dangerous creature inside.  But why would he indicate we should go inside?  I'm not getting any malicious vibes from him.  Is his companion inside and trapped by some assassin vine being slowly digested?  I doubt we'll have the element of surprise regardless, so may as well ask."


Mits cups her hands to her mouth to call out, but leaves plenty of time for someone in the team to object.  If no one objects, she shouts into the cave, "HELLO!  HEROES HAVE ARRIVED!  WHAT SORT OF DANGER IS INSIDE THIS CAVE?"
Narrator
 player, 1333 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Tue 28 May 2019
at 19:30
Re: D&D: Generations
Ineterstingly, what Rocky's observations tell him from both scent and tracks is that a blink dog lives there. Though the scent is not the SPECIFIC blink dog the group has been interacting with. It is a different blink dog. Male, for whatever that is worth.

Joe's lantern reveals the inside of the cave. There is a blink dog, its eyes reflecting the light back and thus appearing to glow. The dog inside the cave responds to all the attention and yelling with a guttural growl.

Timothius hugs Mittens and hides behind her slightly.

Liberty growls back.

Tam glances at Liberty and gets a blushy smile. Then looks at Rocky. "Another blink dog. But he isn't leaving the cave to attack us. Is he scared? Wounded? Defending something? Or maybe even under a curse?"
Rocky
 player, 24 posts
 Envoy Warforged
 Circle of the Moon Druid
Tue 28 May 2019
at 20:10
Re: D&D: Generations
Rocky suspects that this male blink dog is possibly the female's mate or relative... but wonders if this dog is sick...an illness like rabies would be a possible explanation as to why the attacks took place.

Rocky growls softly and ponders if he should remain wild-shaped into a bear or if he should return to his Warforged form and pass on what he suspects about this second blink dog's condition.

While Buzz and Adrian remain silent Doc speaks up, "This second blink dog is acting strangely. I wonder if something is wrong with it for the first blink dog to be unwilling to approach... almost as if afraid of catching an illness..." Doc glances to Rocky who nods at the awakened Deer as Doc continues, "You think the blink dog in the cave is sick, don't you." Rocky nods as he is limited to simple gestures while wild-shaped.

Buzz then speaks up, "If that is the case, then the trick becomes, how do we cure the blink dog... assuming there is a cure. Since I doubt the dog will let anyone approach."
Joe
 player, 865 posts
Wed 29 May 2019
at 00:00
Re: D&D: Generations
  "I will be annoyed if it turns out there is some invisible magic barrier that traps living things inside the cave." But that would probably be too convoluted even for their life.
Mittens
 GM, 2521 posts
Wed 29 May 2019
at 16:37
Re: D&D: Generations
"Somewhat embarrassed that her yelling upset the doggie inside the cave, Mittens assures herself that it was an entirely sensible approach on the chance that there was a person inside in dire need of assistance.  Also, nobody got hurt."

Mits nods.  "Not ruling anything out yet.  It's possible that the Grumbles is unable to exit the cave due to magic and anyone who enters will be stuck.  Could be that there's magic that makes an otherwise conversationally intelligent pair of pups act like normal doggies.  Regardless of the cause, it's prudent to be cautious.  Just in case he understands Common, I'll ask Grumbles."

Mits squats down to have a less intimidating profile and addresses the growling dog.  "We intend to help you, but need to know more.  Please nod if you understand me.  Here, have some yum-yums."

Regardless of a nod reply or lack thereof, Mits wiggles her fingers to magically scoot the morsel that was tossed into the cave closer to Grumbles a little at a time.  This to judge just how far Grumbles is willing/able to budge from where he is.
Narrator
 player, 1334 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Fri 31 May 2019
at 20:34
Re: D&D: Generations
The dog nodded in response to Mittens asking it to nod for understanding. It does not approach the food until the food is JUST inside the cave entrance. Then it cautiously approaches and sniffs before eating.

Timothius looks hopeful.

Liberty sits and folds her arms.

Tam idly puts a hand on Rocky's back while looking ponderous. But also looks hopeful upon seeing the blinkdog go for the food.
Rocky
 player, 25 posts
 Envoy Warforged
 Circle of the Moon Druid
Fri 31 May 2019
at 21:49
Re: D&D: Generations
Rocky still suspects the blink dog in the cave may have some contagion, which would explain why the blink dog outside the cave won't enter, and why the blink dog inside the cave won't exit it. However, Rocky realizes that given how rational the male blink dog is right now he no longer thinks the contagion is one that affects the mind like Rabies.

Rocky tries to use his senses as a bear to see if he can spot or smell anything that could give a clue to the male blink dog's condition or why the male blink dog won't leave the cave if he isn't sick.
Joe
 player, 866 posts
Tue 4 Jun 2019
at 01:37
Re: D&D: Generations
  "You know, the fact that these teleport means we can't exactly force it out of the cave.  If it's safe to enter, they'd just leave if we picked them up.  If it's not, they'd just teleport out of a net or lasso."

  Joe is used to the passive aggressive problems being related to conversation trees and exposition, so hey at least this much is new.
Mittens
 GM, 2522 posts
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 03:40
Re: D&D: Generations
Mits ear-perks that the blink dog nodded.  "Well hurray!  Hopefully this means we can get to the bottom of what's going on."

She smiles and gives Grumbles a thumbs-up.  "Today's your lucky day, my friend!  We're the heroes that ended the Antler Horror of the Great Forest's reign of terror.  So first question: Are you sick?"

Mits figures that since no one is rushing into the cave, she can ask about any magical traps after first having Rocky's idea addressed.
Narrator
 player, 1335 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Wed 5 Jun 2019
at 18:17
Re: D&D: Generations
The blink dog seems to think on Mitts' question before shaking his head.

Timothius says, "If he isn't sick... and he's actually communicating... is it safe to approach?"

Liberty says, "He's fine with food approaching. Problem would be if he thinks we're food."

Tam remains silent, thinking.
Rocky
 player, 26 posts
 Envoy Warforged
 Circle of the Moon Druid
Thu 6 Jun 2019
at 20:01
Re: D&D: Generations
Rocky wishes he could communicate with the blink dog as that would make it so much easier to simply asks 'what is wrong and what can be done to fix it.'

Rocky now knows it isn't an illness so proximity shouldn't be dangerous. He also knows that if something were to be lethal to him it would merely knock him out of his wildshape and he can quickly resume it if needed to buy even more time if something is continually hazardous. So Rocky plods along on all fours up to the entrance of the cave while using his senses to try and discover anything that would help explain the situation. At times like this he wonders if he should get a pet rock that could be rolled around...if he did he'd have to name it Thief... and let it be a professional trap finder. Not like it would eat much and if a trap destroys it... well any similar rock could become Thief Jr... wonder how many Jrs he'd need if he went through a trap infested dungeon.
Joe
 player, 867 posts
Fri 7 Jun 2019
at 06:30
Re: D&D: Generations
  Joe isn't sure if he's giving good examples, terrible examples, or both (probably both) to Liberty.

  But regardless, he gently underhand tosses a GM Approved™ squirrel with a rope tied around it caught off panel at the cave entrance.

  If it doesn't hit a forcefield, explode, or otherwise face dire doom at Joe's current attempts to pull it back out, it's getting TWO whole walnuts, wow!
Mittens
 GM, 2523 posts
Sat 8 Jun 2019
at 03:18
Re: D&D: Generations
Mits smiles at the answer she gets.  "Glad to hear you're in good health!"

Mits shrugs to Timothius' question and nods to Lib.  "Probably not safe.  Proceeding with caution is what Blinky advises."

Upon Rocky approaching, Mits tries to assure Grumbles, "This is Rocky.  He's a druid in bear form.  He's also a hero who means you no harm."

When Joe tosses the surprise Mission Impossible squirrel, Mits laughs!  "Ha!  Clever idea, Joe!  Ohwait!  This is not intended to be a meal, Sir Growls!"

(( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsuVLsDyln4 ))
Narrator
 player, 1336 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Fri 14 Jun 2019
at 20:41
Re: D&D: Generations
The dog watches the squirrel get tossed. The squirrel lands in front of the dog and looks up at him before trying to get away. The dog just watches.

When the squirrel returns to Joe, it looks at him expectantly and chitters.

If it weren't for Mittens saying it still isn't safe, PLUS the earlier chiding, Liberty might have just walked right up to the dog by now. Alas, she just folds her arms, dreaming of being Leroy Jenkins. She honestly has no idea why Joe threw a squirrel. "Why'd you throw a squirrel at the cave?"

Timothius is paranoid by nature, so he has several thoughts on why Joe did.

Tam is WTF'd by the squirrel tossing. She'd ask why, but Liberty beat her to it.

Rocky smells a human scent that does not belong to anyone in the team. But definitely human. Doesn't smell familiar, though, so probably nobody they met so far.

The blink dog doesn't seem to mind Rocky approaching, but keeps an eye on him.

This message was last edited by the GM at 20:46, Fri 14 June 2019.

Rocky
 player, 27 posts
 Envoy Warforged
 Circle of the Moon Druid
Fri 14 Jun 2019
at 20:56
Re: D&D: Generations
Rocky glances at Joe and shakes his head 'no' in response to the thrown squirrel as Rocky doesn't approve of that. But as a bear he can't really frown and growling would be a bad idea at the moment.

Rocky then moves over to a patch of dirt and scratches out a message into that dirt with a claw on his right hand. It is crude due to the limited hand dexterity of his bear form. Once he is finished he steps back and points to the message. 'Human scent at cave, not us. Will try to track.'

Buzz spots the message and reads it aloud for the group, "Rocky has written a message... he has found the scent of a human not from our group and is going to try to track that person."

Rocky nods to Buzz before the wildshaped druid starts to snift around to try to find the trail to see if he can track the human scent while still taking advantage of his bear senses.
Joe
 player, 868 posts
Fri 14 Jun 2019
at 21:34
Re: D&D: Generations
  Joe commences nut based apology, "Just checking the thankfully just paranoid idea that there was something more tangible keeping living things trapped in the cave."

  He glances at the note, and to Rocky, saying "At this point it really would be best to just get on with it and head in, but you'd be better at following the trail than the rest of us, so fancy bears first."

  If he went on ahead there would probably have been at least a half dozen tunnel splits, now there is a bigger chance of it being a straight shot to the back of the cave with Rocky following a scent trail.
Mittens
 GM, 2524 posts
Tue 18 Jun 2019
at 03:44
Re: D&D: Generations
"Mittens is very pleased that Sir Growls didn't eat the squirrel.  Moreover, it managed to make it back to Joe unhindered."

She reads the message while Buzz reads it aloud, and just smirks at the eager helper being eager to help.

"Thanks, Rocky."

She'll follow after the bear as well and addresses Sir Growls, "So the Human that Rocky is smelling:  Are they the reason you're stuck here?"
Narrator
 player, 1337 posts
 For narrating
 and convenience
Wed 19 Jun 2019
at 22:34
Re: D&D: Generations
The dog nods. And makes way for Rocky. The scent leads directly into a wall. To save time with post-rounds, it is soon discovered this back wall of the cave is illusiory and with a little prodding, the illusion vanishes. Hidden behind it is a cave tunnel where the scent continues. The dog seems to not wish to enter that tunnel, nor exit the cave.

There are a few forks, but it isn't labyrinthine. And soon, the group is able to find what looks like a mad scientist's lab. Though more Wizard version. Skulls, arcane sigils, books, glass vials, bubbling chemicals, etc. There is a scowling elderly human asleep in the room and hasn't noticed the group yet.